Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

La Fille de Berlin Serge Lutens for women and men

La Fille de Berlin Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. La Fille de Berlin was launched in 2013. The fragrance features rose and pepper.

Rose Pepper

Une Rose
Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection
Perfumista Avenue

La Fille de Berlin Fragrance Reviews

Yohji
Yohji

Shrub roses. Ground cover roses. Dog roses. Bumblebees under all those bushes. Middle of June-beginning of July.
Heady intoxicating bewitching aroma, always evokes the feeling of nostalgy. No matter, where we will end up living, we always will think that at home those flowers smelled better. Richer. More distinctive. Yet each time in summer we would make a circle to pass those shrubs closer with the blissful smile, drunk from our own happy memories
La fille de Berlin, de Paris, de Moscow, de Amsterdam, de Prague...

K1
K1

Am I the only one this around who catches musk and tiny part of violet underneath the rose. This is simply beautiful. La Fille de Berlin is not an unique perfume in smell (I mean rose is so commonplace) but is quite remarkable in quality of smell. The rose aroma is so realistic and original: fresh, airy, slightly smoky and sensual.
A solid, active, timeless, romantic and poetic fragrance. Good longevity and mediocre sillage.

Ps: it settles in dry down, I swear I'm apparently smelling woodsy notes and red pepper.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

On first sniff this was the rose I’ve been smelling in Morny soaps, Yardley, Bronnley, bath cubes, etc for years… However, La Fille de Berlin then became a musky-rose skin scent after a while, with great longevity, very pleasant and easy on the nose; if you like rose scents this is a winner. It’s not my favourite rose scent, but the (unlisted) musk component gives it persistence and depth, it’s really a lovely combination. If you’re going to make us want a jammy rose, this is how to do it.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

I would classify La Fille de Berlin as a "shampoo rose". It has only a mild jammy sweetness, but it's predominantly sour & sharpy/soapy. A mild plastic note hides in here as well. The fragrance is linear from the initial spray to the drydown - What you see is what you get!!
It's very reminiscent of childhood bubble baths, scented dolls, things like that.

May only be my chemistry though - I've still not found a Serge Lutens that I *LOVE* on my skin.

(I do love the color of the juice though! So lovely.)

Glarnere
Glarnere

Absolutly the best rose for me, as simple as that!

Sour rose with some spices. It's not my type of scent at all. No big surprise because floral unsweetened fragrances often are too sour on my skin to enjoy them.

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

This starts out with a vinegary health-store rose, reminiscent of a hair rinse I had as a teenager. Then it changes into a neon magenta rose, laced with raspberries and black currants, highlighted by a spice note that I agree smells more like cinnamon than pepper. Later still, there is a little powdery violet thing going on, reminiscent of YSL Paris. The overall effect is somehow diffuse -- it's difficult to smell it correctly with your nose pressed against your skin. I'd love to smell it on someone else. I didn't feel that I could really get a handle on this just from putting it on myself.

If this feels old-timey, I read it as a reference to the recent past (Berlin nightclubs circa 1990 or so) moreso than WW2/Marlene Dietrich/etc. It feels like a beautifully crafted, high quality, understated version of the type of fragrance meant to stand up to cigarette smoke, smoke machines, etc. A clubby fragrance remade for a decidedly un-clubby customer.

ras.kel.5
ras.kel.5

This is similar to Sa Majeste, but with an edge and a younger vibe. These are jammy, velvety, sexy roses with a hint of spicy pepper which creates a fuller, rounder scent. It's simple enough for everyday wear, but interesting enough to not get bored and maybe get noticed. Total love.

Dodgy
Dodgy

This is a bit of a grower....

Wasn't exactly love at first squirt. Quite the opposite, but a few minutes of living with it allows the rose to break through the peppercorns and its charms are revealed.

Subtle and natural, like your own natural fragrance is that of roses. A fragrance like a walk through a Burn-Jones painting

smora
smora

Although not big fan of roses, but to me this Lutens is irresistable. Simple, dewy wild rose with just a touch of pepper and wrapped in musk. Unbelievebly natural, innocent and lovely. Marketed as unisex, but it really shines on women skin. Girl from Berlin tears down any wall around the hearts.

Scentrack: Alphaville - Summer in Berlin

Rating: lovely **** 1/2

nosicle
nosicle

An intense, dark, smouldering rose. I'm not usually much for soliflores, but this is gorgeous. If there was a type of rose that bloomed only at midnight, it would smell like this. Moderate sillage, excellent longevity.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Lush, gorgeous rose. Whereas most heavy rose scents are balanced by a crisp green or citrus note, Berlin utilizes a piquant-woody combination of pepper and something tannic, the total effect not unlike that of a full-bodied, aged red wine. As others have mentioned, there are also some definite jammy undertones evocative of stewed red berries. It works remarkably well in this composition, melding seamlessly into a warm base of clean musk and light amber.

Rich yet luminous, with a natural syrupy sweetness. Excellent sillage and longevity. Dubious name, but nonetheless brings to mind a certain quote from Disney's Mulan:

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all."

riverbank
riverbank

This is a perfume that 'grows on me' each time I wear it. For the first half hour that I have it on, I can't smell it at all but then I find myself walking through a fog of the most wonderful red rose scent. It's like going for a walk on a damp June morning past gardens of roses with the scent all around me - but still not on me. I've never had another perfume that gives me this effect but I loved it so much that I had to buy some.

oobunillaoo
oobunillaoo

to me La Fille de Berlin smells like a highly concentrated rose jam with berries and powdery parma violet candy. throughout the 8+ hours of wear it developed a flintish metallic sense and i swear i detected a dirty musk and spicy carnations popping up here and there. on me the pepper was not as pronounced as i'd anticipated but i'm sure it is in there holding things together and lifting them up. i also thought, especially during the dry-down, that i could smell woody elements. La Fille de Berlin is a welcome deviance from the Serge Lutens norm, dare i say it almost smells like it could be mainstream-ish? for a Lutens anyway. i personally think this smells super feminine, floral, and sexual (rather than sexy) however it's got just enough of a rough side that i do see its potential for a male audience. it is both pretty and disturbing though thankfully not in equal measure; in fact i think the disturbing aspects of LFdB are necessary. rose perfumes normally give me a sense of familiar comfort and inspire me to try and act like a "gentle beauty." this stuff made feel like Lee Holloway in "Secretary." it gave me strong internal sensations of feminine sexual power and conflict which is something i've never felt with a perfume before. i do not find this to be like any other rose perfume but my knowledge of rose is based on wearing stella and jo malone, so please don't consider my review to be indicative of what hardcore rose lovers would appreciate in this creation.

La Fille de Berlin is like a piece of modern art. i value it, it is both evocative and thought-provoking, it is a new twist on an old theme. it is powerful and beautiful and it kind of frightens me. this is not something you put on in the morning and forget about. like all Lutens, sampling before purchase is wise.

Just as I was done sampling Serge Lutens perfumes, I stumbled upon a sample of this, which I had forgotten about. Despite my experiences with this house, which have been rather poor, I decided to give this a shot because I love rose.

First--the juice is such a gorgeous red color! The initial phase is an avalanche of velvety, silky, blood-red rose petals. They smell so real and luxurious. As nice as it was, I figured a rose soliflore was not something I was in the market for. This is not a soliflore. Very soon, I began to smell spice, woods, and a faint sweetness. The spice smells more like cinnamon than pepper.

This perfume is beautiful, and the red rose in the top notes is probably the most natural and addictive I have ever smelled. Does not become too gourmand, and it is not powdery at all.

The unfortunate part is that as the perfume evolves, it becomes rather flat. Sillage leaves much to be desired as well. I am reminded of other rose and spice perfumes I love such as Penhaligon's Bluebell and Le Labo Rose 31, both which have monsterous sillage and longevity. So while I do like this one, I will just enjoy my sample.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

(Thanks @dresdendoll for generous decant :)

I agree with @Pixie1104 below, this is like cloaking yourself in deep crimson velvet, or gazing into a ruby-red venetian wine glass through candle light, it feels positively Medieval!

I get a rich fruity rose, violet and freshly crushed pepper. Not sneezey fine-ground black pepper but the heart of fresh pepper seeds. I'm wondering if this is what gives it a woody feel, or if there's cedar wood too.

Anyway, we're not given all the notes, so amateur sniffers like me can only guess. The fruitiness smells to me like raspberry and blackcurrant cordial combined, and it's definitely sweet.

There's a lingering note in the long dry down that reminds me of sweet wood ash - the powdery white remains of a wood fire, which all adds to the idea of an Elizabethan lady's chamber.

I don't know about metalic notes described by some bloggers (one described a 'bloody' note, not apparent to my nose, I get metal from Dans tes Bras and blood from Bal a Versailes but none of this in La Fille de Berlin).

Also I'm not sure whether Luten's story or the concepts behind La Fille de Berlin - the spirit of female survival in a war-torn city - influence how the scent is percieved, but I do think this is one of the most beautiful rose scents I've experienced. Perhaps it says something about the survival of love amidst cruelty - roses are romantic symbols after all, but the spicy pepper and tart fruit notes steer this away from innocent, pretty ideas of love and say something more about strength.

It has facets that remind me of Portrait of a Lady (though LFdB is sweeter and less abrasive) also Parfum Sacre (though Parfum Sacre is far more resinous and very much more dry)

Really beautiful. I picture crimson roses aflame!

Pixie1104
Pixie1104

Extremely rich, dark and memorable and yet it reminds me of Lush's Rose Jam scent so much it's uncanny.

Either way I love this...I feel it's the olfactory equivalent of a deep claret velvet throw tossed carelessly on an antique chaise, it's the Phantom of the Opera, a dramatic violin concerto or a gothic church at midnight.

Not one I'd wear often, but that's because a fragrance this distinctive and powerful should be worn with care and only when you really mean it!

Lana148
Lana148

La Fille de Berlin is simply beautiful! Love this fragrance and I am not even into rose scents.

This is not very complicated, linear, natural, rose and pepper fragrance. The rose smells fresh but deep, and a little mysterious.

This is very easy to wear fragrance, but it projects good taste & quality.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

the benchmark spicy rose fragrance..i even have the different company rose poivree but nothing comes close to La Fille De Berlin..i have 2 bottles and will def. buy more..forget spicy rose, this is the best ever rose fragrance after Nombre Noir which is more like an abstract rose

jtd
jtd

The Serge Lutens line is known for the heavy and the heady.  Apart from the nouvelle orientals, Féminité du Bois, Bois de Violette, and the others in the Bois series, there are two styles that capture a large portion of the line. Perfumes like Ambre Sultan, Cuir Mauresque, and Chergui fall into a range of amber, wood and resins that makes them dense and dark. They are unavoidable, and blanketing.

The other side of the Lutens coin is the heady, expansive perfumes.  This category has two parts. First, the ultrasonics. These are like angels, mostly above our range of perception, but with their feet dangling just enough that we can sense them.  La Myrrh, Iris Silver Mist, and Sa Majesté la Rose are three ultrasonics.  Three stylistically different perfumes, one shared acoustical range.  Part two are the ferocious florals. Tubereuse Criminelle, Fleur d'Oranger, A la Nuit: the flower as sociopath. They'd just as soon kill you as go fishing. I'm a sucker for these.

So how to categorize La Fille de Berlin?  If the extremity of the above genres is your sole gauge, then La Fille fails.  But if you want a companion, a perfume you can confide in, La Fille is just the thing. It is beautiful and easy to wear, but striking nonetheless.  The top and heart notes, all rose and spice, reminds me of the succulence of fresh strawberries with a bit of balsamic vinegar.  Two tastes, both complex but instantly recognizable; one fresh, one aged.   Each is the perfect enhancements to the other.

These complementary pairings, whether the balsamic berries, or the pepper-spiced rose, suggest impossibly perfect combinations like youth with wisdom make for a perfume that would be ideal to wear every day. The paragon every-day perfume will not spring from focus group and should not be a set of least common denominators. It should be the best of both worlds, and la Fille de Berlin is.

Many perfumes in the Lutens line smack of the special occasion.  Going to a show, looking to get laid, visiting a special place. Berlin stands apart from these one-off perfumes, but isn't without precedent.  Gris Clair, Bas de Soie, Daim Blond. These are stylish beauties that could be worn every day. Noticeable and exceptionally composed, but more likely to accentuate the attractiveness of the wearer than to stand out as a Gorgeous Perfume.

La Fille de Berlin is a stellar example an ideal everyday fragrance.  It is flattering, suggests confidence and intelligence, and indicates an appreciation of classical beauty.

Sign me up.

from scenthurdle.com

Cochlea
Cochlea

Simply irresistible! I received a sample of this and I bought a full bottle right away! I love rose and I love La Fille de Berlin! The Serge Lutens website describes La Fille de Berlin as: "Shes a rose with thorns, don't mess with her". This is not a classical rose. This is a rich, sultry dark rose scent with pepper, it is beautiful! I love this on my skin, at first the rose is sweet but it becomes warmer and earthier. My skin eats perfume but this lasts a long time. I love the bottle and the red plummy-colored liquid! This is my first Serge Lutens, its worth every penny! I can't wait to add more Serge Lutens to my collection!

lgbailey86

I still don't care about the relative masculinity/femininity of this fragrance, it's beautiful. I also am not into layering fragrances. BUT. I have fallen in love with layering this with Terre d'Hermes ... it blends perfectly and makes for a masculine scent with a beautiful niche rose note
I'd rather drown in this than huff ammonia

lgbailey86

Rich, opulent, dark and yet luminescent.. This gives me the same euphoric high that I get at the park of roses.. during a light shower ... I do not care at all whether this is feminine/masculine. This just is

eliza.ekstein
eliza.ekstein

When Vita Sackville-West dreamed of Sissinghurst, she had every intention of offering you a rose garden.
In this rose garden walks a beautiful Jewish woman, saved from the smoke of ’40s Germany by the modern day Sackville family. She walks through the garden in the early morning clad only in silk stockings, pearl necklaces and a sashaying stain dressing gown. Later, when she has dressed, she will cycle into the city where she curates a gallery of MC Escher prints, notable above all for their recursive, self-reflective style. She keeps a stack of strawberry bonbons in the drawer and snacks on them through the day. Despite her filthy taste in underwear, she is a remarkably straightforward, uncomplicated type. Admirers say her beauty is like a mathematical equation, purely balanced and refined but slightly troubled at the edges with the thought of what was left behind. Etched in her face are thoughts of a lost world, one that can never be reconstructed. As she ages, the thought of this world haunts her more and more and it is only in wandering through the rose garden, eating its blackcurrants and inhaling its lemon blossom and roses, roses, roses, that she can find any sort of a way back home again.
The most pure blast of lemony, blackcurranty rose imaginable. Everyone says, oooh, roses!, when you wear this one. This is the one to wear if you want to attract bees.

brickbishop
brickbishop

This is simply brilliant. This rose fragrance has the same spiciness as a nosegay of freshly cut Sterling Silver, Angel Face, and Madame Isaac Periere roses. Wilted? Hardly. Long lasting and clean, not a perfume for just the more mature or even the fairer sex. This magic elixir is for anyone that loves Nature's most beautiful gift to the earth. I'm a tall tattooed dude and I get a lot of compliments when I wear this, I believe what keeps it from being "girly" is that it is such a pure scent of the flower.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

A rose to choke Goliath. You'd be safer with YSL's Paris.

Shwets
Shwets

A very nice long lasting sweet tea rose scent (not gourmand or jammy like how I prefer) without any fruity or heavy green notes. It lasts for ages on on my skin and even more so on clothes. Has very good longevity but it has this aromatherapy feel but lacks the oomph for me. The rose in this is the same type found in Majeste Sa Rose minus the green stems and leaves.

hanson26
hanson26

I have to agree with another reviewer that these roses are wilted. And a bit synthetic smelling, almost like a candle. But I'm pretty sure it's just a case of bad skin chemistry here. This perfume gets a lot of hype, and I totally understand that when I'm sniffing it in the sample vial, or for the first millisecond on my skin, but it quickly goes bad on me. If it smells like it does in the bottle on your skin, then you are very lucky. I would love La Fille de Berlin if she could love me back, but unfortunately she doesn't.

patrick-fragrancelover
patrick-fragrancelover

A rich, deep and warm rose. A beautiful change from the powdery-rose scents that dominate the perfume industry. The pepper adds a bit of spice and character to the scent, but it's never overpowering at all. This fragrance just lasts and lasts. For me, initially this scent is quite strong, however with time through the dry down it mellows and continues to intrigue. This is a beautiful rose, possibly one of my favourite interpretations of the flower.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I ordered three SL samples (Chergui, Fille en Aiguilles and La Fille de Berlin), and this was my favourite by a long way. It starts with a lovely, big, almost peony rose, and then becomes like rose petal syrup (not so much sweet as juicy). Then there is a greener rose note before it dries down to a musky, powdery finish.
I found the sillage good (ie, not saloon door conversation stoppers as some of the SL are, but enough to radiate nicely) and the longevity is about 6 hours plus a further 3 at skin scent level.
I put some on from my sample, and thought "no, too rosey, too cute", but I did still reapply it the next day (and the next). I think, for me, it is too much of a straight floral - I'd prefer it with more spice or smoke. However, it is a beautiful rose smell - at no point did it smell like wilted roses (I wonder if there was something wrong with the sample of the reviewer who found this?) and I would recommend it for any rose lover. It would make a lovely signature and works especially well in spring time.

EDIT: So I am now down to the last drops in my sample as I have been wearing La Fille de Berlin more often than I ever thought. It is a clear rose - dark but fresh - and unisex, I would say, as it is not powdery and sweet as many other rose scents. It is not an urgent acquisition for me, as I still would like a little more darkness, but if I can get it at a good price, it is definitely worth a full bottle. If you like unisex florals and want something with a bit of a twist for the summer, give it a go.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

Due to the wonderful reviews this perfume has garnered, and being a total rose-freak, I was more than a little interested in La fille de Berlin when I ordered it. I was so anxious to try it out, I practically ripped the beautiful little sample box it arrived with in order to get to the little spray bottle inside. I must say I’m more than a little disappointed that I couldn't get any of the results that majority of the perfumistas have been getting on their skin. La fille de Berlin starts out with the prettiest rose note I have ever smelled. The bad news is: Though the petals here are sweet and red they are shockingly wilted! I am surprised as to how nobody else seems to be smelling this because it jumped out at me from the first moment I sniffed it on my skin and all the way to the faint dry down, which came about 12+ hours later. The outstanding sillage and lasting power tells me that this is, indeed, a Serge Lutens creation. However, I still cannot account for that wilted edge in this delicious rose juice. The notes pyramid is listing rose and pepper and, personally, I have never known pepper to add a “wilting” edge to a flower. It almost always adds a spicy edge – at least up until now. I also sprayed this fragrance on a piece of testing paper to ensure it wasn't my skin chemistry gone bad. I had my mom, (the supreme perfumista in my life!) smell it on paper and my skin as well. In her words: “These roses are a few days past their freshness!”

Because I am absolutely in love with roses and constantly in search of the perfect rose fragrance, I’m having a tough time letting this bewildering creation go and am seriously jealous of the perfumistas who are getting these splendid results. Oh how I WISH I could say the same! The composition portrays such a beautiful, linear, and scarcely found red rose note that I want to give it another chance to see if some magic will transform that wilted rose into a fresher one. I will update this review if I find that this is a juice you need to test out several times before it agrees with your skin. In the meantime, to the rose lovers out there who might be tempted to blind-buy a full bottle of this soliflore: Be sure to test first!

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

A must for Rose-Lovers! Mr.Luten's one and only Entry for 2013, but what an Entrance. The scene is an elegant club... circa 1930 with those very red roses in an art-deco cut glass vase atop a black laquered Steinway with none other than Mr.Cole Porter himself in command. Standing ovation for this one.
This starts very green and fresh; I even smell the just cut stem. Ultimately a luscious full-blown real-rose experience. ....Nostalgic, magic and memorable!

LizzieBea
LizzieBea

What a beautiful rose soliflore. I highly doubt it contains only rose and pepper, though. There is definitely some musk in here. And there's a tang of something darker underneath it all, like wine or blood. You can definitely smell the thorns on this rose.

Liberty_Fizz
Liberty_Fizz

Tried this today, high expectations, well it's a Lutens. Was drawn to the red colour, but as I sprayed I suddenly got worried that it would stain - didn't though.
As many have said, thick blast if velvety expensive roses, loud and proud. And I'm normally not a huge rose fan, but wow. The pepper really adds depth and drama, but the interesting times were gone far too soon. The dry down I feel was lacking and dull, and the roses withered too fast. Sorry Serge, but my favourite Fille is En Aiguilles. I think I knew that before I even tried.

lisa o
lisa o

the inspiration seems to clearly come from a typical pretty red-lipstick-prenzlauer-berg-weleda-cream-girl...at least this is the first thing that pops to my mind smelling la fille de berlin. what else could connect berlin & rose more, than the geraniol-loaded smell of rose day cream of either weleda or dr. hauschka:-)?

So this perfume has only rose and pepper notes in it. I am a big fan of some other rose scents like Chloe Chloe and Burberry Body, but this one I don't like that much.
At the beginning there was something really disgusting about it. As the time passed, it got better and calmer, but I still can't like scents which I don't like immediately.
Besides the floral nature of this perfume, I sensed something a little powdery and very oily in it.
My guess is, the oily part is the one that makes this perfume odd for me.

spidola
spidola

I kept the sample of Un Fille de Berlin for weeks (as I lately do with all Serge Lutens samples) with the fear of being disappointed… Even so, it happened! I’m disappointed…Not because of the quality or complexity! On the contrary – this perfume is far away of being simple rose sent and it has its story to tell… But this story is so cruel. This composition is a real masterpiece as I really feel the thorns that tear my skin…This perfume hurts. The rose is the heart of it, but I can smell something metallic and bloody. Some similar vibe I got from Bas De Soie, but there was the wearer of the perfume cold-hearted and oppressive and she liked to by like that. Here the wearer is the an innocent victim. La Fille de Berlin has the smell of outrage – there is this gorgeous rose, whose petals are brutally truncated.
My admiration for complexity, but I couldn’t wear it!

smellME
smellME

Before reading...
-I had high hopes on this one.
-I have so far not been hooked on any lutens, not tried to many either.
-I loove roses in perfume and I loove pepper.
Now - all set :
First blast is a typical lutens vibe, as far as I kknow. With this one you immediate get the rose, a kind of sour green rose and a shower of really strong pepper, actually.
What I also get is a kind of foody red wine smell. Yes - roses soaked in red wine. Doesn't last long though but that is my interpretation of the top.

The pepper mellows, but stays and the red velvety rose blooms by every minute wearing it.Thankfully the wine note dissapears and really fresh greens and violet - ? joins. Now it is really lovely, and yes - very true to the real Valentine Day bouquet of deep dark red roses...♥

It stays and stays and stays.
Even the morning after I sensed the roses
Do I love it ? - no but I really like it .
And isn't it that way a true love story begins...

Update:
I could not get over the fact that the red wine sour beginning bugged me and even if the rose is true and lovely, I missed the lack of darkness to the blend and I had to let it go.
Sad but true....

Plrowden
Plrowden

This rose, this magnificent rose almost defies any description I might try to impose on it. The rose is absolute in a finite way. Rich, velvety, to the point where if you close your eyes, you can feel the velvety petals and the deep red color. Wearing it is a tactile, sensory explosion that offers no excuses for what it is. Pure decadent rose. Sublime in its' supremacy! I don't smell the pepper many describe. On me it has a more fresh air after a rain quality. The dry down is not in the least powdery just as the opening is not sweet. It just unfolds more and more ever so gracefully and gradually. The longevity is superb, lasting 8-10 glorious hours on my skin and the sillage on me is soft to moderate. As I love most rose fragrances that aren't sweet, fruity, or citrusy, I am in my own little rose heaven!

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I stay away from roses because they remind me of old people, but this is one fresh rose with spice ! Marvellous creation..... a different rose, will take a full bottle !

sagarjanvekar
sagarjanvekar

Rose Bomb with some peppery and sweet tobacco notes..... Rose is taken to the next level by Serge, fantastic rose with green notes …gorgeously well made …..Subtle and personal…

Longevity – 12+ hours on my skin
Projection -8 10 hour sumptuous

If you love rose and haven’t used this…….come on……..Go for gold.

8.5/10

anhphuongha
anhphuongha

Such a pure rose, not the type you would find in a backyard garden or windowbox but an expensive bouquet like you would receive for Valentine's Day. Definitely not your grandma's rose or even your mom's rose; this scent is young, elegant, and dramatic without being over the top. To me, it seems like a just-grown-up woman scent. If I were to have a signature scent, I would not mind it being this one.

EDIT: The longevity is killer! I sprayed once on my chest and once shared between my wrists at 11pm for bed time, and it is now 4pm of the following day and I can still smell the beautiful rose! If longevity is important for you, this is a scent not to be missed!

saritarose
saritarose

Since In grow and love roses and am originally from Berlin--well, I just have to try it!

fuggerone
fuggerone

Dark and metallic rose, for eccentric males!

hadassa
hadassa

La Fille de Berlin opens up extremely lovely, and during the next hour a rose lover like me enjoys his roses heaven: clean, slightly powdery, soft petals, - white, pink, ivory. I wish it lasted longer.

However, after this glorious hour the magic disappears and the only thing I get is some sour, metallic smell.

Maybe today's cold weather makes La Fille so short lived, sharp and borderline unpleasant. I believe it might bloom on the skin in warmer months. I will revisit it in late spring or in summer, because the opening is pure pleasure, but still, I am rather disappointed. I like my perfumes to work on the skin without depending on weather. Perfumes might work differently in summer and winter, but they still have to remain beautiful.

Not my favorite rose.

xrayer
xrayer

This is, in one word, divine. It is the purest deep velvety rose I have tried, it is the true essence of a rose in bloom. I have tried many roses and have never found one that satisfied me, this however is it. Just stunning.

CLevol
CLevol

Oh, how i adore this subttile little masterpiece! Subtile because of the only 2 ingedients, composed so that the hairs stand up on your arm;

My soul and heart is sattled in Berlin.. Honoustly; that was the reason for my curiosity about this perfume.

The rose is deep sweet, not a common bulgarian rose but a deep dark coloured velvet rose which brings you into a deeply romantic but melancholy mood.

THe very slight undertone of pepper brings you back into the present time and ensures that the rose remains as a cloak around you.

This is not a rose that locking you into a little fussy woman world but a seductive rose that will make the people around you curious and attracts, it makes your world bigger, this lady from Berlin

This is a medley of full bloom roses, heady, intense smell of red roses, I am not a Rose scent lover, but this is nice in its class.. But nothing StellaMc Cartney hasn't done really...
It is a bit flat also, overrated in my views. There are less expensive rose scents I believe that smell as nice. La fille de Berlin smells pretty sad in my views.Nor very exciting, but in all fairness Lutens ' creations leave me cold.

MilesDevin
MilesDevin

This perfume is simplicity in it's most beautiful form. The best way to imagine it would be to close your eyes and imagine a dewy, freshly opened red rose with a nice, but not overpowering touch of black pepper as it's partner. Something in this smells a bit green to me, as if the roses were freshly cut. It really is a beautiful scent. Not overpowering. Not too feminine, yet, not masculine either. I truly adore this addition from the Lutens line.

nastyamason
nastyamason

I grew tired of most rose scents but since it was Serge Lutens, I had to buy it. It smells like a dark red, velvety, autumn rose in full bloom. Not groundbreaking but very classy. Last night I sprayed generously on my old light blue T-shirt and it did not leave any stains whatsoever.

Update: I was wrong about staining. I was getting a sample from my bottle while in bed and spilled several drops on my white bed linen and they left pink stains. My pillow still smells gorgeous the next day! So natural, yet not your grandma's perfume!

jelizani
jelizani

I loved reading the love/hate reactions to this perfume; those tend to be the ones I like the most. I've also been dreaming of a peppery-rose scent for years, and I do think this is it. The initial burst of sweet rose settles into an earthier spice, but the rose returns in a mellower form. It yin-yangs like this for hours, constantly evolving. I love it. And I've now got a massive crush on Serge Lutens, so I think I'm doomed.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

A warm genuine rose with an underlying sweetness that is almost edible. I smell no pepper or spices of the usual kind but there is a faint spear-mint that is unusual. Lovely and feminine, elegant.

biniways
biniways

LOVE this! I have used a bottle already since I bought it in July. I happen to be from the Berlin area and leaving all stereotypes of women in Berlin mentioned on the Lutens webpage aside - this fragrance oddly still captures an essence of home, and I must admit that most of all...and I do not think I could say this about another fragrance, ...I am THANKFUL because this fragrance helped me write a thesis. It is without a doubt the most intellectual fragrance I have encountered if we agree for a moment to understand the intellect as a gift of god that is meant to cut through the fog of propaganda, to put the sword of understanding to unhealthy entanglements and to free us from the bondage of habit and ignorance. La Fille sharpens the mind into a razor's edge to cut through illusion and to persevere. It is a warrior's fragrance that does not kill its enemy by force, but makes them implode with self-realisation. It is perfect. Pine makes the stately rose snow-cold. This rose is not candied or girlish it has come through ice and severity, a cold fire as pepper entices the senses. It is still a mighty rose and maybe all the more beautiful for shining in this ice desert, its chill is amazing. It has a magic grandeur like a mid-winter fairytale. A spicy sweetness reminds of cloves and apples on the stove - but only very subliminally, the metallic clarity is integral to the opulent fragrance and its spicyness adds character without being threatening. This is the most no-nonsense women's fragrance I ever came across. it is an honest and direct statement that feels like a verity. Nothing but the plain truth is being communicated. Nostrils and brain are not betrayed or assaulted by synthetics, a simplistic yet highly siphisticated and loveable scent

I tried this scent as a possible substitude for regular Stella and I cannot smell a big similarity, but I found a new glorious rose!
This is really a masterpiece for both rose-lovers and not.
The rose is preminent, but this is not a typical traditional rose.
There is a strong metallic edge in the opening and midaway, not annoying at all. It actually makes this perfume smell very original, intense yet never overpowering. I see it as mainly feminine and very modern. Very long lasting, too, with moderate sillage.
The rose note is similar to Stella but the rest of composition is much more kicking, less traditional and not ambery.
Rose and pepper? No, there is much more going on here, but if you like oversemplifying, yes, it is rose and pepper.
Great from SL!

virga
virga

I like rose scents in general, but the problem with rose compositions are that they tend to smell either too demure, very lady-like or too girly (candied rose scents). But this rose is just perfect: it’s deep, dark, but still playful and careless. La Fille de Berlin instantly reminded me of Saly Bowles, a character from Fosse’s movie Cabaret. At first it’s kind of kitschy, in-your-face candy-sweet and spicy, but after half an hour or so becomes darker and richer, even tragic, I can detect a note of red wine at this point, but then it changes and finally settles down as a well balanced melancholic sweet rose. Beautiful.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

A transparent spicy rose, at the other end of the spectrum from the super thick Sa Majeste La Rose. I think the pepper is much more subdued than in The Different Company's Rose Poivree (which is also a more interesting scent because of that). Coming from Serge Lutens, I expected a rose more experimental but with regards to the scent,it is a very pretty, clean, slightly dark rose scent. No powdery accords here that seem to trail after many rose-centred perfumes. The sillage for me stays close to the skin and everytime I think it's disappeared, I smell it again, so it's been holding on for about four hours now and counting, although faint. A safe blind buy for rose lovers, a safe and prettily coloured present for a loved one.

Ieva_st
Ieva_st

Lovely! The pepper must be giving the bitterness what distinguishes this perfume from other rosy perfumes.

orchid_84
orchid_84

I’m highly impressed by this offering from Serge Lutens. La Fille de Berlin is a beautiful, elegant and deep rose scent. I find it relatively straightforward, but for me that doesn’t detract from the fragrance. I don’t smell any pepper, nor anything else spicy. It’s a simple but full-bodied rose, slightly dark with a jammy sweetness.

It’s a little reminiscent of the full, rich rose in Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses, but less soft and a little earthier. I find La Fille de Berlin to be a bit sweeter, smoother and less medicinal than Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud, a fragrance I already own and love - they share a similar depth and richness. The drydown of La Fille de Berlin is a hint musty for my liking, but I don’t find it that bothersome.

I won’t be purchasing this fragrance for myself as the Keiko Mecheri and Jo Malone scents are more up my alley, but overall I think this is a gorgeous fragrance. It’s one of my favourites from the house of Serge Lutens, and a must-try for anyone exploring the SL line.

CaSentBeau
CaSentBeau

Standing in front of a more or less complete line-up of Serge Lutens at Sephora in France this was the one that immediately caught my attention since I’ve been craving it ever since I knew of its existence. And oh my goodness…!!! I have no words to describe this razor sharp rose that from now on has a place in my heart forever. At least I lack words to describe it in a way that will do it justice. It has a crystal clear mint note in the middle of an ocean of the purest of roses, and yes, it’s breathtakingly beautiful.

Maybelle
Maybelle

I have tried many rose perfumes - Brulure de Rose, Highness Rose, Nahema, Sa Majeste la Rose, Lyric and on - but this is exactly what I wanted. It is beautiful but a little edgy. I am already fretting that it might be discontinued one day!

Tovah

I hate to use a cliche, but words fail me: this is breathtakingly beautiful. A masterpiece of rose and chaos.

beccamm
beccamm

Smells similar to Stella, an Ambery Rose but with a hint of mint (although its not listed there is something very fresh there - maybe the pepper but to me it smells minty?) - I like it alot and truly think this is a beautiful perfume and am very tempted to get a full bottle although I know my husband won't appreciate its scent and will think its too grannyish (typical!). This is very feminine but perhaps something you'd wear for yourself rather than the opposite sex - depending on their taste of course!

schokolade
schokolade

dark roses. elegant, dark, sexy. The best Serge Lutens fragrnace.

nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com
nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com

Romantic perfume, imagine your self living between roses. Pure Damask rose(Rose of Castile) smell.

Aysu
Aysu

A great rose scent with some jammy undertones. This is not green or freshly picked rose petals, rose is still the most dominant note but it feels like a rose jam cooked with very little sugar and some cloves thrown into the mix. I am amazed by its quality and smelling this on my arm like an addict. I cannot complain that it stains my clothes because from the clear glass bottle, dark red juice screams out that "I will stain your clothes" so it is not a surprise :-)

rinz09
rinz09

This started out vaguely shampoo-esque on my skin. When it mellowed out, it is the most lovely soft spicy rose ever. It's not screaming at you, but it's definitely saying something to you. This to me is just as romantic as A La Nuit, but in a much closer to the skin way. I adore this! Try it out.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Spicy, peppery, deep, rich, dark, rose.
This is a gorgeous fragrance, rich and warm and the most stupendous rosé scent ever! I just want to inhale it continuously.
Longevity is brilliant! Silage is pretty powerful too, a wonderful scent for those certain days when you want to feel gorgeous and noticed!
SL frags are just niche genius and before I die I shall own the whole collection.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

As other reviewers have stated I too smelled a fantastic jammy rose. I am surprised dried fruit is not listed because its presence is definitely felt. This is gorgeous gorgeous rose!!! I had searched and searched for a rose scent last year trying way too many rose fumes and had finally landed on Jo Malone Red Roses which is beautiful but doesn't last past an hour!!!

It is amazing how every person has a different experience with perfume. I didn't think this was linear at all. And two notes??? I felt way more than that on my skin. This is rose from beginning to end but changes its mood along the way. What starts out jammy moves to this gorgeous full bodied being and then morphs into this soft sensual musky rose.

Looking for a rose?? This is soft, sexy and sensual and worthy of a sniff. Longevity is fantastic!!!! Thank you S.L.!!!

This may be too feminine for a man but could be beautiful if layered underneath something!!

christianne1
christianne1

This is an elegant, grown up, straight up rose. It is deep rose, almost like deep dark roses a day or two past their prime. There is a seriousness and strength to it...yet somehow a bit of sadness and fragility. Like beautiful roses received for an unhappy occasion. While beautiful and appreciated, they remind you of the reason they were sent. Bittersweet beauty. That is how La fille de Berlin is to me. Beauty laced with strength and sadness. One of the most beautiful rose perfumes ever created. It is truly magnificent.

messier42
messier42

This is a beautiful rose! After applicatIon, I get thick red velvet rose petals, ready to fall. Then after 5-10 mins, it turns a bit earthy, like the petals have been crushed into the earth after rain. Another 30 mins - 1 hour, it turns a little sweet, like rich rose jam. I love the cloud of velvet rose it surrounds me with, though when I press my nose to my arm, the sweet peppered rose is sneezworthy. I think it would be best applied on bare skin under clothes.
It's really stunning.

mizz.cindy
mizz.cindy

Being a huge Serge Lutens fan, I was very disappointed with this rose fragrance at first. To me, it was a beautiful fragrance, but too much about a pure rose. I missed the darker aspects I love so much in Lutens work.
But then I tried it a second time, and a third, and I had a whole other experience. It was like my expectations stood in the way of the perfume the first time.
I expected a very dark and brooding rose, while instead it turned out a very fresh and dewy rose, but with lots of sweet rose jam and a dash of pepper I'd recognized from Vitriol d'Oeillet, another Lutens I needed to get to know first before I started loving it wholeheartedly. The third time, I also found some of the dried fruits that makes the rose stand out a bit more, a bit sirupy and sweet, but not so much as in the Bois series from Lutens.
I think this is a very elegant and beautifully made rose fragrance, with a lovely balance between the fresh rose and the darker sweetness, because apparently there seem to be something else that makes this rose clings to my skin. This mysterious aspect is what I love the most, it's a perfume for me, not so much for other people because it wears so close to the skin. It's my little secret and I love wearing this to feel confident. I don't smell any musk but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little bit, just to make this interesting.
Lovely!

daniela3
daniela3

I'll just add some lines omitting any cultural background and knowing also very little about the inspiration that brought to this nice result. I find that La Fille de Berlin has a witty approach to roses, it's less predictable than Sa Majesté la Rose and more solar and joyous than A la Nuit (both in the same family). Minimalistic fragrance with a rapid evolution, the opening is great, peppery, fresh and a little bit redundant (I don't know why but I immediately thought to Soir de Lune and to Fragonard's Soleil, even though they are so different!) when it settles down it's a 'red', warm rose which stays on your skin (but, which one??? Papa Meilland, Generàl Jacqueminot..... ) Very good persistence but NOT for a/(an Italian) summer use, in order to fully appreciate it I have only to look for little sunny days!

MLK
MLK

This is AMAZING!!!!! If you love dark red roses with just a touch of spice, then you will love this perfume. This is my number one favourite rose scent at the moment!
Note of warning: careful not to spray this on your clothes, especially on a nice white shirt as the dark juice will stain!

lilacteeth
lilacteeth

Masterpiece. This is a fresh, salty, peppery rose. Yes, salty on my skin and I love it so. Still manages to be a bit sweet though. I have never smelled anything like this. It's so simple and yet so spellbinding. Apparently this is a perfume based off of something Marlene Dietrich wore? I cannot think of a more perfect scent to embody this woman. Maybe I've heard the story wrong but even so I could envision a woman of Dietrich's extravagant personality and majesty wearing this. This perfume may seem linear but I think it is two sided ... indeed like Dietrich's on-screen (and perhaps off-screen) persona. More and more this one goes from a salty masculine rose to a velvety sweet and ever so slightly powdery rose. On one hand the woman was completely soft and feminine and on the other hand Marlene was probably the world's most androgynous (even masculine at times) female film star Hollywood has ever seen. Regardless of whether this has anything to do with Marlene, it is still a Marlene perfume to me...a rose that stands out and stands alone with extreme elegance and confidence. When I put this on I feel like a woman of the world..I feel lux and lovely as if I've just put on the deepest red of lipstick and the most luxurious fur coat. This is confidence and class in a bottle. I am in love.

9-na
9-na

A present, because “you like roses and spices, and you haven’t got this one yet”. The scent gives me spiced petals, but not rose’s, these are dog rose petals on my skin, with a hint of violet, and they feel as if highlighted with help of neon. Smells like an interesting scent to me.

Boudoir
Boudoir

A gorgeous rose. Dark & velvety with a hint of spice. Absolutely luxurious!

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I really enjoy this perfume. I sits right on top the skin, you can smell it the whole time you wear it.. so if you're not into roses, then obviously this isn't for you. It is linear, which is ok by me. Simple elegance. Great on a breezy day, just like walking past somebody's overgrown rose bushes when it's hot outside.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

thanks to another Fragrantican, I finally get the chance to try this.

I was very surprised at first, because I did look at the notes up here and I am smelling way more than the ones listed. I'm smelling a straight forward rose, some spices which remind me of a very small amount of white pepper and especially cloves, some dried fruits (maybe it's amber with citrus) and something aromatic, like.... some leaves or herbs... I'm not sure.

I think what this a really beautiful and feminine rose, with a vintage/modern dualistic nature. The rose is traditional, but the scent sends out a very fun and original niche vibe. It's the perfect amount between pink rose and citrus, as well, so it's not too "screechy" or high pitched, like some other rose perfumes with citrus notes.

After trying it on again on a colder day, I had to correct my old review and say that projection and longevity are both decent.

There is much more to this scent than the first sniff lets you believe and I'm excited to see how my relationship to it develops.

I get a simple rose rounded out by violets and made fruity by the pink pepper. I don't smell black pepper or musk for the most part, just getting a fairly simple fruity rose. Nice, but not really 'me' in personality.

I know something about what happened in Berlin before, during, and after the war, and I certainly know who Marlene Dietrich is. Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin was launched with a lot of narrative baggage adding intrigue and interest to a red-colored liquid which by appearance actually reminded me of the house of Lush when I sprayed it on my arm.

The scent, however, that's another matter altogether. What I smell, underneath all the roses, is hardwood mulch! To me, La Fille de Berlin has less to do with the war and women in Berlin than it does with rosebushes juxtaposed to hardwood mulch in North Carolina. There is an earthy feeling to this rose, which may evoke memories of Frédéric Malle Une Rose, but La Fille de Berlin is less green and in this case the earthiness smell more like rotting or fermenting wood than soil. Despite the suggestion of the liquid's color, I do not find this composition to be animalic. But maybe the color is supposed to connote carnage, not carnal?

Despite their differences, La Fille de Berlin and Une Rose are clearly olfactory neighbors. I do not personally smell anything resembling pepper in this perfume. There's more going on than rose, to be sure, but to me this is not an oriental composition but a woody, earthy rose. It is also quite complex, as eventually a fairly strong violet note emerges--La Fille de Berlin must have found the remnants of a lipstick in a purse in her closet...

I like this a lot. Both the big voluptuous opening and the calmer drydown are quite nice, and so this creation will be going on my short list of possible acquisitions from a house which while never boring does not not always produce perfumes wearable by me. This one is!

angel6
angel6

Just received a paper sprayed with La Fille de Berlin, and I think is very nice, a real rose smell with a peppery background, I like this rose better than the new Diptyque one. I believe this would stain clothes so be carefull if you get this perfume.I'm not into rose perfumes but for the ones that like roses this is very nice.

tungtaewoo
tungtaewoo

on my skin...it's only ROSE ROSE and ROSE...a little bit creepy for a guy...but whatever! I love it! :D Simple is the best!

sjam3295
sjam3295

I think this is an amazing scent. Deep, velvety rose, which is just lifted by the pepper. Gorgeous.

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

Ah, it's a very beautiful scent, it's a pity it's a bit shy on my skin. Barely there, yet peeking out once in a while. La fille de Berlin opens with the most beautiful juicy rose, but it quickly turns into a carnation and cloves combination. Spicy cloves are there after an hour and then it settles to peppery rose and rose confiture. 7 hours had passed and the most fragrant rose petals appeared, what a nice surprise. Easy to wear, easy to love, classy rose with many facets. Delightful!

Terribruce
Terribruce

For me this is a dirty rose perfume. It smells like roses trodden under foot after a long night out. On me it smells sweet at first and then woody close to the skin like Oud. Very sexy but filthy. I love it.

Majesty
Majesty

I have no idea what Berlin has to do with roses but Fille de Berlin was the absolute disaster on my skin.A bouquet of roses with black pepper on the top!Maybe too much pepper which doesn't compliment roses..Sticky,wet and sour roses..Aggressive opening that ends like you 've covered yourself with red wine (not only a glass,maybe the whole bottle)Poor lasting power on me and undetectable sillage..

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

I tried this today at my local boutique after SO MUCH anticipation. This ended up being completely different than what I expected!

I guess I was judging too much from the color, thinking that this would be a bomb of straight up red tea rose, straight and simple.

This isn't a complicated fragrance at all. What you smell is what you smell, and it stays this way for five to six wonderful hours.

The smell however is much different than what I expected, because this is much warmer than I thought it'd be. If you've ever had rose jelly, rose bubble tea, rose ice cream, etc, then you'll be familiar with this scent. It's not rose, as if it's a freshly cut flower, but rather the essence of rose. Sweet, yummy, warm, and inviting. It reminds me a bit of gingerbread.

If you're expecting a fresh, sharp, green, natural rose, this isn't what you want to reach for. I'd recommend maybe Florabotanica by Balenciaga or Drole de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

This fragrance is entirely gorgeous, warm, long-lasting, and comforting. For once, we get a rose fragrance that isn't sharp, pungent, or mean. This shows us that the Queen of Flowers has a nice side. Don't get me wrong, I love that sharp, green side to the rose...but it's nice to see another facet to the flower of flowers.

I'll definitely be snagging a bottle of this when I have the money. Serge does no wrong, and this is another excellent addition to his marvelous line.

johngreenink
johngreenink

This rose perfume by Serge Lutens is unexpectedly simple, sharp and sweet. It is definitely a Western rose - something you'd find in Europe or North America, the kind of rose that finds itself in city bouquets serenaded by car horns and accordions. It starts out with a distinct sweet-sharpness that is almost green, but not quite. Is this mace, or nutmeg or pepper or mint? It's hard to tell exactly, but some sparkle, perhaps from aldehydes, greets the nose. Then immediately after, it's pure, fresh rose.

I can almost detect a note that hints at cellophane or paper... which pushes this idea of the urban rose bought from a street market.

The rose is linear, with some variation of sugary and spicy turns. It makes for an extremely pretty and feminine scent that sparkles and speaks of mornings when a city is just coming alive in the spring.

HUEbris
HUEbris

It's like spill a rose-flavor beverage in a dental clinic. very spicy and rose. also rose is artificial like YSL paris's, not nowadays trend. It's very Serge Luten. not my tastes anyway...

Yamba1
Yamba1

A true rose without too many embellishments. The pepper gives some depth but not as much as you would normally associate with Lutens. This perfume has had some criticism to date for being more gentle and linear. We have been conditioned to expect perfumes with atomic strength from this house. Yes, it's a deviation, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.
La Fille will appeal to the true rose lover. It is pretty, leaning towards feminine and completely appropriate for work or office wear. I also think this would be fabulous for layering. Don't write it off!

Just bought this fragrance today. And was very upset after trying it.

Where is the shop tester roses cloud?! The fragrance is almost invisible. Lately it started to open more powerful, but not as powerful as almost all fragrances by Serge Lutens. I don't want to spray it every minute to feel it. After the quick rosy start it goes more to grounded violet (even violet leaves) and not sharp pepper notes. Where is the rose beauty?! It's not light, but it's too quiet. The start really sounds promising a warm dark roses cloud. But unfortunately it's not so. The lasting power is poor, too, very poor!

Maybe this one is more floral comparing with Sa Majeste la Rose, which is more fruity. Luckily it's not as sweet as the honeyed sweet second one. But the second one has a powerful stunning rose sillage, besides it's long-lasting. I hope that it wasn't a mistake to buy this one instead of Sa Majeste la Rose again. I really want to believe in it.

I give this fragrance one more chance, but actually I'm disappointed. I wouldn't be if the rose note was more powerful, but unfortunately it's weak. Too close to skin, intimately close.

I'm not sure that this fragrance is for me as a noticeable fragrances lover. Especially, I appreciate it in rose fragrances. I can only hope that it will become deeper with the time, because now it's not.

p.s. Now it's long-lasting. But 1/5 of the bottle was sprayed for nothing.
I guess now I finally have intensive roses fragrance. It's even better than I could imagine, because it's dark, intensive, but has a cold character and not sweet.
Awesome!!!

Scentrist
Scentrist

I saw this in the latest Barneys New York mailing described as "...a thorny rose, with pepper, spice and persistence." Ok, corny perfume porn, which of course meant that I had to try this for myself.

If you are a rose lover, this is stark and unapologetic. There's enough pepper to maintain an interest, but overall it's a linear experience that is perfect for someone who wants rose, the whole rose, and nothing but the rose. My wife, a rabid fan of rose notes, loved this to bits and could easily find herself gravitating toward this from her other fragrances that lack that same potency of note.

Also, it's not too purely feminine -- as a guy, I could see myself wearing this and not have it feel too light or powdery since the dry-down doesn't come across as most rose scents.

Overall, a really good effort.

PinkTissue
PinkTissue

This perfume is one of my favorites. It is really, really nice. It reminds me of roses at their peak of their bloom while there is a slight decay at the edge of their petals. It is as though the rose is bleeding scent, a last desperate hope to show their finest to the world before they die. I love, love, love this perfume.

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

Totally not what i was specting! despite thinking that it is not at the level of the early SL creations and not being very original, it is a pretty interesting and well balanced perfume that turns out very enjoyable.

It starts out with a blast of pure stright forward rose in the style of Sa Majeste La Rose. In fact in the beggining my thinking was that having these 2 frags in the line was kind of redundant line...however as it dries down the violet (which btw is not listed in the notes)starts to emerge, making the scent more compplex and rounder. The violet comes out sweet and powdery, and kind of dark as if it had a bit of amber in the mix. It comes out rich and deep, and with that "vintage boudoir" feeling that powdery violet often has. In fact this one is pretty deep and dark, so it reminds me the 20's decade pretty vividly. It has a feeling similar to Histoires du Parfums "Moulin Rouge"....and i love it!!

Will deff get a bottle of this one!! love how it morphs from a pure strightforward rose to a deep decadent violet scent! My only complaint is that projection si so so, staying rather close to the skin. I still have to test its longevity..so far i have been wearing it for arround 4h and it still there, richer, denser and more powdery as it develops.

maeculpa
maeculpa

Advertising works. I'm testing this one and in my head Marlene is wondering where have all the flowers gone...bloodstained roses anyone? The opening is lush but restrained compared to the knock you down and drag you off by the hair roses in Sa Majesté La Rose.

Then again, why would Marlene douse herself in this? I can only imagine her smelling like an ashtray.

I don't like loud roses, or too linear roses. I just need to see how long this one lasts. My other SL love Daim Blonde seduced me and vanished in twenty minutes....

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Mr Lutens and I haven't quite seen eye to eye in the past. I've determinedly tested a solid dozen or more of his scents and have owned decants of two but it was never quite love. Even though I find Ambre Sultan fantastic, I think I would struggle to wear it. But as a rose lover I was excited to try this one, the moment I heard about it. I had tried Sa Majeste la Rose, but, as with others, there was something a bit off with it for me, it was a bit too green for my tastes.
But this. This was different. It clicked with me the moment I sprayed it on. This is simply a wonderful full-bodied jammy rose. Velvety deep red petals envelop you, soft, but a little bit bruised. For some reason a beautiful and mysterious brunette comes to mind, strong but somewhat reserved. Pinches of powdery violet soften it a bit as it dries down, but this is all about the rose. The base reveals that this dark rose beauty can unravel a bit, its musky rosey ending reminiscent of Narciso Rodriguez for her EDP. However La Fille de Berlin is a different creature, more earthly and womanly than NR's pristine coquette.
What it reminded me of was Jo Malone's Velvet Rose & Oud - both rich, dark rose scents. Velvet Rose & Oud is sweeter and a little less floral, but I'm not sure a collection needs both. Which will make for a tough decision for me! Beautiful rose scent, finally a Lutens that has made a lasting impression.
As a note however, this is not to be sprayed on clothing as the vibrant pink colour stained the tester strip and went on my skin pink too. Also Luckyscent lists the notes as: rose, pink and black pepper, violet, musk.

raw umber
raw umber

People have compared La fille de Berlin to Red Roses by Jo Malone, and I do see some similarities in the presentation of rose, however there is much more sweetness and subtlety in the nuances of La fille de Berlin. I cant help but think it is in an entirely different arena, though if you enjoy one, you may very well appreciate the other.

Jo Malone's Red Roses is straight, fresh, beautifully unadorned, robust and voluptuous deep red roses along with their crisp, wet, green stems and leaves. Just breathtaking. Now take those roses, tenderly envelop them in a gauzy black shroud, and you have La fille de Berlin.

Like JM's Red Roses, La fille de Berlin demonstrates a certain clarity of vision within the rose genre and not just because it's a soliflore, but because it gives me a sense of the heft and the texture of the flower; I can envision the appearance of the particular rose I am smelling. For this reason it is a unique and admirable fragrance which projects very well and sticks around on my skin for quite a while. The warmth of the pepper and sweetness in the roses make it an ideal fragrance for the bone-chilling, damp Spring morning when one wishes it would just be nice out already!

The amount of pepper in this is perfectly calculated. Just enough to set off the features of the rose: bright red petals against an off-black background. Much gratitude to Serge Lutens for my sample.

As it dries down, it does take on a sweet earthy/powdery quality and a good deal of the clarity is lost; I feel like the rose is naturally decomposing into some sort of powdery rose compost, though I would not go so far as to call it musty. The emergence of the powder is surprising and I could do without it (its absence in Red Roses is one of the many reasons it's so gorgeous), but I will tolerate the powder here in exchange for the addition of pepper, which the Jo Malone rose is lacking. A soliflore depicted as an entire scene, suitable for both male and female rose lovers. Very well done.

antfarm
antfarm

This is uncomfortable on my skin. It feels numb and filmy where applied--maybe it is the dye they used to color the perfume (I'm one of those people who has to use Free & Clear laundry detergent).

That being said, the fragrance itself smells like a battle between tons and tons of beautiful crushed rose petals and a vat of stinky hair perming solution. Neither one of them wins. It fades away within an hour.

My skin chemistry doesn't play well with rose about 60% of the time though, so don't take my word for it. Try before you buy.

RosaMilena
RosaMilena

LA FILLE DE BERLIN

The most unapologetically voluptuous and womanly pure rose I have ever smelt on my skin. This is the whole pristine magnificent rose in full bloom along with the powerful tangy bite of rich crimson fruit of the rose; the Rose Hip Berries. The rose hips impart a rich jam-like succulence to the creation that is unsullied by any additional syrupy sweetness and lends its own increased amplitude to the scent of the rose itself since it is actually part of the plant.

This is like a pure blood red rose on steroids. A whole barrel full of rose blossoms and rose hip jam all mashed together in perfectly, without any added sugar to foul or dilute the tangy fresh blast of divine floral crimson richness rolling down the mountain like an avalanche into your nose! It makes me want to devour my arm!

The barest trace of pepper lends a touch of spice, but is very subdued, and is so fantastically well blended that it smells like the amplified spice within the rosebush itself in some of the naturally spicier varieties of the plant.

There is just a touch of the most subtle musk to ground the jammy, spicy floral richness and impart a warm velvety skin-like coziness to the entire composition.

Blood red, opulent, smooth as silk, lusciously feminine, elegantly voluptuous, narcotically soothing, and just incredibly gorgeous. I adore this completely.

Bandit
Bandit

I sniffed it yesterday and was totally unimpressed: It's rose, ok, nicer than "Sa Majeste la Rose", which I find utterly boring, but nothing compared to my LOVE "Rose de Nuit". I know, it's Paris-based and all, but if you like "La Fille de Berlin" please try to get hold of RdN to make up your own mind!!! This is rose heaven, I promise! :)

Also, LFdB is too sweet for my taste - something Lutens likes to add to his fumes of the export line; his exclusive line is more distinguished in that matter, imho. But sweet sells, isn't it?

To the talk about "the women of Berlin after WW2": I lived in Berlin for a couple of years and I am far from being a Nazi (more liekely the opposite), but I guess, what Lutens insinuates is the life mostly without protection from male family members (they were at war or in camps) in a city, that was bombed to pieces, not enaugh food to live, enaugh not to die and being raped on a daily basis. Sorry for being so frank, but this is what has happend to these women. One of the dairies of one of the women of that time is famous and very vivid in discribing the hell on earth, which those women lived in. Sure, it's everybody's right to think "they brought it on themselfs", but often this were the usual "folks", often younger of age (so not really responsible for anything); the high Nazi party members and the likes were for sure not in the city at that time.

Maybe Lutens is a Nazi, I wouldn't know, but from the title of this frag I would suggest, that he was moved by the strength, those women showed, the power of life we all have inside us, every one of us. But this is just an assumption.

truffles
truffles

Was in John Lewis today and spotted this. The ONLY Lutens they have there 'because it's new out'. :( hmmph! Why only stock one?!
Anyway, the fragrance is indeed PINK. A rather alarming and artificial looking pink which was kind of clotted around the spray of the tester bottle in Lewis'.
One sniff and I was once again smelling my beloved childhood Victoria Plum rose scented bath oil.
The exact same smell - from the bottle anyway, I never sprayed it.
That bath oil was very sophisticated, I think, for something marketed for kids. Pink oil in a clear plastic bottle, with a big burgundy plastic stopper and a big sticker of VP on the front.
In brief, SL Berlin is a nice pink/red rose smell! Rather stronger and different from the Stella type of rose, a better rose imo.

serchina
serchina

This is a lovely fresh-spicy rose and definitely feminine..

LadyMurasaki
LadyMurasaki

I like this a lot. Though the top notes brings to mind a precautious little girl with jammy hands trying on her mother's clothes and heels. I also get a hint of something metallic... like blood, in the top notes. The best part for me is the extreme dry down. The note is either sandalwood or cedar. It's a lovely, light scent with a clean woody dry down. Somewhat betrays SL's description of it. I want to give this one multiple sampling before I decide if I want to add it to my SL collection.

Tovah

wallywinthrop - Serge should hire you for marketing! ;-)

You write beautifully - I enjoy your reviews and I look forward to them.

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

The girl from Berlin - her parents named her Elfriede when she was born in 1907, the chubby little girl with golden ringlets, and as she grew up she was more and more headstrong. She bit the ribbons off her dresses and played horsey all the time, insisted on being called Frida and never ever missed the plate of poppyseed pastries her mother would put out after every meal. After Papa came back from the war, he dandled her on his knee again, but with a distant look in his eyes. She came to prefer her Mutti's warm presence most of all, who took her to Church and told her never to forget the Lord's teachings.

Later she grew up, did well in school but was restless. The 1920's in Berlin held many forbidden pleasures, so exotic after the privations of the war. She smoked a bit, drank a bit, rode in fast cars, kissed but shied away from heavy petting although she told all her friends she was as loose as any cabaret singer. When they bloomed, she wore her favourite red roses in her hair every night she went out, and fell asleep with their petals on her pillow. She took her Abitur but because she couldn't focus didn't pass - her parents frowned but let her take a secretary position with a local doctor instead of attempting university, hoping she'd settle down. Some of that spirit found expression when she laid eyes on Kaspar, who took his mother to Frida's doctor every week for her hip problems. After several weeks of coffees in the cafe near by, she and Kaspar fell in love, met each other's parents, agreed to marry. The girl from Berlin stood in the Church with her mother watching and pledged to love for ever and ever the man next to her.

In the 1930's, with two small children, Frida and Kaspar worked to beautify their home and their shared life. Kaspar worked every day as an art dealer, while Frida stayed with the little ones. She would play in the backyard of their small but cozy home with the children Liesl and Matthias, who loved to tug at her blonde hair. Frida, retaining some of that old spirit, would pull it away out of their reach but relented at seeing how they marveled over her curls, and got her mother's recipe for poppyseed pastries to tantalise them too.

Their happiness was short-lived, when Kaspar came home one day with a grim face and told her of the changes which came rapidly from then on. What followed was a maelstrom, in which Kaspar was forced against his will to join the new Fuhrer's party, and Frida and even the children were enlisted in Nazi groups. To Kaspar and Frida, who loved their neighbours, the ideas of Hitler were an abomination, but they expected better days until the horrors of Kristallnacht, and then the invasion of Poland. They tried to leave, but their parents were too infirm and their hearts broke at the idea of separation - nor were they sure what would be ahead of them, in any direction.

The war forced Kaspar to leave and for Frida to watch what unfolded, alone, uncertain about what was really happening since the nation frowned at women knowing politics and she was afraid for her family's sake to stir. She kept on, listening with a sinking heart at the strictures forced upon her children. Her fingers trembled in the morning as she wound the perfect Aryan braids around her head, and her heart beat with loneliness and fury. She felt she could no longer be silent and wait, but do something - she hid her Jewish neighbours in her cellar, giving them rations from her own, already strained larder, hoping against hope she could save them. The day came when the fists sounded at the door, and only the rapid disappearance of her friends at the back and the influence of a cousin at Party headquarters could save Frida. Her parents passed away, and she was more alone. Still, she waited, for summer and the roses to come again.

Near the end, Kaspar returned on short leave and never went back. He rushed his family away to the countryside, hiding with Frida's sister-in-law at their farm until the deluge had passed Berlin. When they returned, they saw despair, ruins, and the horrible news of what had been done in their name. Kaspar and Frida wept in each other's arms, at their shared guilt and what they saw, at the pain of uncertainty. Afraid of the Soviet soldiers for his wife's sake, Kaspar insisted they leave Berlin to go back to his sister's farm, poorer though it was. Frida left, hating to go, hating what had happened to her city and what she felt would forever be partially her fault. She heard what her old girlfriends suffered in the city, and wept. But in the country, the sun shone again on her blonde hair, and the neighbours called her 'the girl from Berlin' as a term of endearment. She planted roses with her children, and waited for their blooms.

~

I adore the Lutens line even if I can admit the man is a bit eccentric. I do think it is unfortunate that Serge decided to specifically talk about postwar women of Berlin for the negative connotations, I'm hoping this is a bug in translation although I am not too optimistic on that score. What I can say is that I love deep, rich roses so I will be sure to try this - and while, yes, it is sad that these associations have to be so dark, I think the perfume can be respected as a tribute to German women who were only very briefly liberated - and only in some places - during the Weimar period and then were repressed all over again during World War II, with the hyperstrict rules of 'Nazi motherhood' (think the NS-Frauenschaft). The horrors of what happened subsequently during Soviet Occupation do not need to be repeated.

Yes, millions suffered both in war and through genocide, and I think if we are going to do tributes they should not be through perfumery and should go first to the victims of the Holocaust and other war crimes. Nevertheless, the German women did suffer too, and I don't begrudge them the name of a perfume perhaps as an homage to the nobility of spirit that some still did possess - a tribute to the fierce vigor of Sophie Scholl for example (although she was from Munich, I feel my point still stands). There were many German women who risked death by hiding Jews and other minorities and giving them food. The mad shifts in society and what happened in the first half of the twentieth century affected these women too. I think that just because the connotation may not necessarily be happy or good, it does not have to mean that it can't be thought-provoking and ultimately useful. Perfumes form part of our psyche as much as anything else.

These are of course all my own opinions and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone here.

tourmali45
tourmali45

I quite agree with Tovah in my dislike of a scent being named that controversial (there's nothing wrong with the name itself, the dedication appeared when I started reading the description), it affects my wish to try it too. I think I can find other rose smells without the negative connotation. And why Lutens defends only German women - without offence, but it was Germany who started the war, ergo war atrocities! No, it cuts too much to the quick, I'll definitely pass on this last Lutens creation. Someone compared this to Jo Malone's Red Roses - I bet she named it only after simple red roses, not bloody ones!

mudpach
mudpach

Very-very lightfull rose! Clean and fresh scent with a quiet girlie feeling and huge romantic and charm. I like it.

rutaj
rutaj

it is so true to its name- I can almost see the ruins of what used to be Berlin (a nice city before WWII) and young, sensual women left on their own in the middle of all this with no hope or ways out. Just strength of female power to cope with what is left.
To me, the scent is almost true of rose- with a hint of sadness and sensuality (skanky notes) on it. The light allusion to bittersweet smell of blood and young blooming rose aside it.
It is simple, dignified and poetic- true companion to very sensual and deephearted woman

cloyd42
cloyd42

This perfume is a bit like hearing the question part of a riddle but never hearing the punchline. It's a very nice almost sole fleur rose but it's very juicy and very sweet. (Punch line: "so after the guy puts it on he says...") I just can't see this being unisex in any way. Also the name is a tribute to the resilience of German women during the Soviet occupation. Huh? WTF? I'm waiting for the punchline on that one also.

In any case, as I said, it's a beautiful very juicy red rose scent with some gentle almost undetectable spice notes--the main ones I smell are cinnamon and cardamon. I don't find any pepper or anything with bite in this at all, not at the opening, not after several hours of wearing it. Very well made, very romantic. If you like rose scents this is a good one but there are several very good rose scents so I'd try a sample before I'd invest. Excellent longevity for a floral.

Persistence: 4-6 hours
Fabulosity: Red delicious apple
Value to price ratio: typical for a Lutens

Roge'
Roge'

I've been tricked by the unisex mention. This is 100% feminine. I smell absolutely no pepper in this fragrance. This smells identical to Jo Malone Red Roses. The longevity and sillage is strong. I put this sample on at 8am and it's still kicking at 430pm. I couldn't imagine a man wanting to smell like this.

george9827
george9827

this sounds very intriguing, I must find it soon to smell myself. Only I have reservations about the name. Berlin is an unfriendly, dirty and proletarian town, where I can't associate anything poetical or even luxurious like roses.

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

Sprayed on the skin La Fille de Berlin looks like blackcurrant juice, and is probably best kept well away from light-coloured clothing.

The top notes are a green and sappy fresh rose, somewhat like Sa Majesté la Rose, but pinker, redder and more complex and containing the full raspberry-jelly scent of true rose oil (it also feels oily on the skin).

After 30 minutes or so, it becomes sherbety, sugary and quite fondant, like a rose-flavoured dessert of some sort, though never such an artificial neon pink tutu as Paris, before morphing slowly into a softly woody rose. I detect no pepper, but perhaps a creamy sandalwood in the drydown.

Compared side by side with Sa Majesté, the latter is crisper, greener, more springlike, more soapy, whereas La Fille is deeper, redder and more velvety (oddly, if I smell Sa Majesté and then La Fille, the latter has no fragrance at all, though I can smell them both if I sniff them the other way around).

Persistence is about eight hours (sprayed at night it was still there in the morning), though faint after about three, and the sillage is moderate. The scent is very much a 'true' rose fragrance rather than a rose-based fragrance with a bunch of other stuff in it, such as Goutal's Grand Amour.

In the Lutens canon, La Fille, I would say, falls somewhere between the darkness of Rose de Nuit and the brightness of Sa Majesté.

Chantal
Chantal

This is really intriguing. Love the concept, the minimalist bottle, emphasis on the colour of the liquid. I will be curious to sample this.

La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens 4.00 out of 5 based on 530 ratings and 113 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of La Fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.