Designers » R S » Aromatic « Groups

dislike

aldehydic
soapy
Laine de Verre Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

In February 2014 Serge Lutens will launch new fragrances named Laine de Verre which belongs to the L'Eau line introduced in 2009. The fragrance is inspired by glass wool described by the creator with accords of citruses, aldehydes and musk, warmed by fine woody shades that stay behind cashmeran molecule. Fragrance LAINE DE VERRE will be available as 50 and 100ml Eau de Parfum with the same narrow and tall glass body..

Citruses Aldehydes Musk Cashmeran Aromatic Spices

Laine de Verre Fragrance Reviews

Coucoucath
Coucoucath

I absolutely love it. I understand why people wouldn't though. It's first time I bought full bottle of Lutens and I've got only half the juice left.

It starts cold, fresh, it's like an alert. It reminds me of a laundry put to dry outside on cold windy day. Close to 0C-32F. Then it gets citrusy. We can say like detergents :) the dry downs gets warmer, muskier, quieter but still clean. on my boyfriend it gets much warmer than on myself.
It doesn't smell like anything organic, it's very unique and I think it's really pleasant at least to me.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Laine de Verre arrived in the market in 2014 and its name means "Glass Wool". This is the third fragrance of the L’Eau Collection in the House of Lutens, after L'Eau Serge Lutens (2010) and L'Eau Froide (2012). But the collection already has a fourth fragrance, called L’Eau de Paille (2016).

This "glass wool", often used for insulation, is best known as fiberglass. Serge says that this fragrance expresses a domestic dispute between his male and female sides. And the inspiration is told as follows: "It is only after he had been penetrated by the winter that, laying down his arms, the Lord of Glass came to place at the feet of the Lady of Wool, flowers and ferns, which had frosted on him".

But don't be fooled by the winter concept. Laine de Verre is citrus, simple and extremely disappointing. Its composition brings citrus notes, aldehydes, musk and cashmere molecule (with cashmere wood facets and silky aspect).

On the skin, the result is innovative and makes us think that, this time, Serge Lutens hit the nail on the head in one of his Eaux. The output is so astringent that bothers. It seems that several citrus peel were rubbed on the skin, leaving a mixture of freshness with sour nuances. Even so, this phase pleased me, although much of the criticism come from there, with comparisons ranging from detergent to sanitizing products.

The problem is that the joke ends up in the best part. Laine de Verre fades in about one hour and you can't assess its evolution, since it doesn't evolve, just goes away.
Once again, I find myself in front of a fragrance of the House of Lutens, in Eau de Parfum concentration, but weaker than an Eau de Cologne and with niche price.

I'm sorry Serge, but this perfume is an unfunny joke.

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

It's clean, soapy, freshness. Some of the reviewers have commented on its coldness. I don't love it. I don't hate it. And that's the problem. I think what bothers me about it is that it takes the generic American idea of "clean scents" and warps the genre a bit; it's "warped clean." The last comment about "someone cleaning" made me laugh. I have not had that experience, and if anything, I find it disturbingly innocuous with so many other "fresh" scents around. Some of the Hermes scents remind me of this. But with all the other SL scents in my wardrobe and others beside, I don't mind seeing it as an artistic expression--and there so much "artistic expression" around us that many of us are not compelled to wear...

Black Russian
Black Russian

This is one of those perfumes that smell very different when sprayed on paper and on skin, producing very different results for different people depending on their skin chemistry.
It was semi-blind buy for me. One of my perfume aficionado friends was selling it because he didn't like it. Because I been already wearing heavy evening perfume, I couldn't test it on my skin, so I sprayed it on paper and loved it both on the opening and dry down.
However, when few days later I sprayed it on my skin it really does produced smell of some cleaning product. I even had questionable compliment "Somebody been cleaning his house today!" when I came to work wearing it.
test it on your skin before buying it!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I really liked a previous comment someone made, that Luten's L'orpheline features an 'android accord', and I must say that Laine de Verre fits that description even more perfectly!

It's basically a lemon scented washing up liquid note, but thinned out, made more metallic with aldehydes. Aldhydes don't really fade on me, or by the time they do the perfume overall has disappeared.

I'm thinking of Gary Numan's 80s song 'Are friends electric?', if I was in my teens again I might wear this perfume and perform a robotic dance wearing a synthetic grey catsuit. Other than that scenario I can't really see a situation when this perfume would be neccessary.

It's very purist in its clean synthetic message though!

Lucerna13
Lucerna13

Very chemical, industrial and metallic. Not only does it feel cold, but also artificial. Smells like detergent and sanitizer, something you would like to use in your bathroom not on your body.

gelo999
gelo999

This fragrance belongs to a new wave of the current perfumery represents pure conceptual art and might even call minimalist, made for minorities, always mixed since it is made to the delight of all / as as pure olfactory sensation, contemplative artworks in the it is not important how long endure on the skin or wake, but only simple in appearance because behind each of these fragrances is a hard and complicated artwork.
Laine de Verre qualify as a beautiful and bright fragrance, cold, icy, metallic, made to enjoy it in summer and shelter from the heat, the cause of this effect are the large number of aldehydes wearing this fragrance.
It's like playing a piece of frozen metal and this metal will protect a hot day unbearable.
If you like to see new sensations, original and different, try it, it's a unique and very special aroma, very rare to be a work of Lutens.

Rating:6.5

kl99
kl99

Fresh & Clean wet wipes.
The firsts neutral ones of the 80s.
Or maybe spic & span.
But I deeply like it. intriguing.
Smell like a new car. A new house. Smells paint.. varnish. Glass spray glass tissue I mean spectacles wipes.
But Im not saying that as a demerit.
This perfume has something magic.
Creates addiction.
It burns the nostrils and lungs.
It has something of romantic nostalgic.
It is an After pic-nic.
Is insanely pure and tonic.
Here we are! It Is tonic water! it's schweppes!
well maybe not.
It is cyclamen... is genial.
Astringent pungent but no pine at all.
Reminds me l'eau froide, the first Trussardi and maybe l'eau de Laura Ashley. And CK one in a far far diluited way.

canny1234
canny1234

I'm walking through mediterranean woods with scented shrubbery underfoot.Aromatic Eucalyptus and pine scenting the air and enjoying the cool freshness,before reaching the musky warmth of the sunbaked Beach.

A good piney scent and first then it settles to the same smell of those throat drops with sage and menthol, only amplified. Interesting. It gives a n idea of walking among trees.

mada
mada

zapach świeżo upranej i wykrochmalonej koszuli. niezwykle trwały. nawet po całym dniu pracy pachnie tak samo intensywnie.

bananas
bananas

I kept wanting to smell my wrist repeatedly after spraying a sampler of this.
I kept getting waves of different scenes & scent recalls from the past.... but mostly the notes I picked up were wafts of mint & menthol across cubes of ice but maybe dry ice in a burning sense. Very weird & challenging my ideas of known scent combinations but it felt fresh & sharp.
A true searing dry hot Summer's day scent....magical.
A long cool drink....Pimms & lemonade anyone?

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

It's official - I'm in love with Laine de Verre! This is one of the most beautiful and romantic Lutens fragrances. Yes, romantic - you read it right. This is the scent of immaculate hotel sheets and the things that happen between the sheets when you meet someone you missed badly. I don't mean it's dirty - on the contrary, it's crispy clean, like the first touch, the first kiss. Imagine travelling far to meet your special one, checking into a hotel, taking a shower to wash the dust off your feet and then... falling into your lover's arms. That's what LdV makes me think of. The combination of citruses and muscs never fails no cheer me up and set the mood for the day. I kind of understand all the negative reviews, but for me it works wonders.

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

it smelled so badly on me: a mix of laundry detergent and windex.

GrRoxy
GrRoxy

First it feels like a cold, fresh air with a tinge of citrus detergent. Maybe even a little metallic.
Then the citrus dissapears and the cold air smells just... Clean. As if you were doing a laundry and now it was drying outside on a cold day in the mountains.
It doesnt evolve drastically, only after +8 hours I feel the woody warm scent. Maybe a walk in the woods in winter while being wrapped up in a lush cashmere...

It is like nothing Ive ever tried. Its very long lasting and sits quite close to the skin.

Kirjk
Kirjk

Mmm.. I bet this is what an autopsy table smells like when it's wiped with lemon Cif.

ginger68
ginger68

Odd, very odd! This fragrance is a little horror tale. Pure glass, cold knife. I hate aldheydes but in this case I find them pleasant. There is in this scent something human but on the same time it’s so unnatural that I’m really destabilized. On my skin it’s strange but attractive, I don’t know if I like or hate it. I don’t think I will ever love it. When I walked outdoor there was a wonderful smell around me and I realized that it was me, it was Laine de Verre. I can understand the Lutens’ idea: complex warm spicy musky fragrances in a corner and clean abstract cold scents on the opposite corner. I think it’s the double soul of the same Serge Lutens. Laine de Verre doesn’t make me feel confident, It’s clean but aggressive in a certain way. I must try and try it to understand how it really works on my skin and on my mood.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on their sample. It reminds me of L'Orchidee Terrible by Imaginary Authors. All in all, it's nice fresh and a little soapy. With that said, it's kinda safe by Serge Lutens standard. Projection and longevity are moderate on my skin.

cryman41
cryman41

So powerful, so surprising, this perfume reminds me a glass of frozen vodka! It's Amazing, expecially in sunny days

Absolument
Absolument

Am I the only one to smell vodka lemon on ice? I love it!

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

This is an amazing perfume! It smells like when I walk in the woods on a wet winter morning and pass the pepperwood trees. I have no idea how they captured this clean, unique scent, but it takes me to my favorite places way back in the woods. Absolutely lovely!

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

I find this light eau a beautiful, interesting, original and modern interpretation of aldehydes. The opening is fresh, luminous and cool, combining a blue effect of aldehydes with lemon citrus smell. I guess this first moments is what some people perceive as similar to cleaning products while I find it challenging and new.

After this first stage the scent slowly develops to a fresh close to skin slightly sweet musk drydown with a distant wet wood effect. It is indeed a close to skin eau de cologne, so close that it seems to almost completely disappear though it doesn't. In my skin lasts for around five hours and seems to revive a bit even later when my body warms up under the sun.

I would love to have it for summertime and can easily imagine myself feeling perfectly comfortable wearing it and a white cotton or linen shirt.

Elegant and apparently simple, I love its clear and minimalistic character.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This smells like laundry detergent. No that's not a flippant exaggeration. It really does. Ghastly.

Q80
Q80

this perfume smells like Lennon, the top note smells like the cleanness of a white Lennon or satin sheets that has been washed and taking out from a wooden basket to be spread over hanging robes to dry up in a very green yard or let's say a Green field around 8 am in the morning in summertime. it smell very clean lennon.
it's not my type but i might take it for a change, it's good in my opinion.

I like Laine De Verre…well, sort of.

The initial aldehydes / citrus combo is really quite something if you like super-asbtract fragrances. It brings to mind of an hypothetical *bio* version of one of the most sparkling compositions in the Synthetic Series by CDG. The fragrance quickly turns into a clean white musk with super smooth woody undertones to then, even more quickly, turn into nothing.

One, probably two, hours and then puff…it's all gone. Now, I'm not particularly obsessed with longevity but this is *really* ephemeral. Someone call these kind of fragrances *invisible perfumes*, others call them *anti-perfumes*, I prefer to simply call them *non-perfumes*. If you like the genre but pretend that your fragrance can still be called * a fragrance*, stick to either White Linen or Odeur 53. As far as clean sheets go, there's nothing like these two.

Pity because Laine De Verre actually had some potential and I'm probably one of the very few to completely like its name.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Laine de Verre is by far the most interesting and my favourite from Serge Lutens' Les Eaux series. The opening is absolutely bewitching : screechy aldehyde creating a mineral texture, which reflects the name so aptly, paired with a really tart, almost salty melange of bergamot, lemon and mandarin. This combination doesn't seem that pleasant, but it works, magically!

However, this phase doesn't last that long. It mellows after about 30 minutes, and after about 1 hour, what left is a gentle musky scent. And the overall longevity is not optimal, either. I got about 4 hours with close sillage.

However ephemeral the opening and the overall scent is, I'm still enchanted. And I'd definitely recommend giving it a try for an interesting olfactory expereince. By the way, dear Santa, could you please drop a big bottle in July so that I can spray it abundantly again and again just for the wonderful opening? :-P

penny.dreadful.9
penny.dreadful.9

Very metallic on opening, cold, bitter and sharp, with a nod to ELO Secretions. There was something else I just couldn't put my finger on - definitely something green, and initially I thought maybe parsley. However, the more I smell it, the more it smells like celery. It's too cold and bitter for me.

Scentmad
Scentmad

As a massive SL fan I was expecting a lot more than an expensive version of fabric conditioner. At €105 on the official SL website I think I'll pass. I was gifted a sample thankfully but I wouldn't buy it. Very disappointing. I wonder if the "nose" for this was moonlighting and actually works for Procter & Gambol or Unilever.

body67
body67

EPIC fail. there are no words to describe how bad this is. i thought that l'eau was bad. i was wrong. again, a so called 'fresh laundry detergent' smell, as 'achieved' in l'eau, this time made worse by aldehydes (here probably replacing the ozonic notes). i am VERY disappointed with papa serge lately. no, no, no.

LadyMurasaki
LadyMurasaki

I am a huge fan of Serge Lutens fragrances and have quite a few in my collection, but this one has puzzled me. The scent created by the combination of abrasive citrus and aldehyde notes is akin to household cleaning products.

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I'm a fan of Lutens, however, I have a bottle of lemon-scented hand sanitizer that smells almost exactly like this, except it cost 1/100th of Laine de Verre with 10 times more longevity.
If his goal was to make anti- versions of his perfumes, then mission accomplised. But, why?

Vexel
Vexel

Opens with a pleasant citrus-mint not unlike the herbal conditioners used in many salons juxtaposed against a jarring metallic-musky accord. The effervescence of the aldehydes in this case serve to create an iron-like glint. I don't think one can help but perceive the accords separately given how opposing they are.

Unfortunately, the total effect is in my opinion something like spilling industrial cleaner on oneself. As time goes on the metallic aspect fades leaving a musky-mint combo that really isn't my cup of tea. (It's somewhat gross.) Frankly this seems more like a gimmick than a serious entry into a perfume portfolio, but my opinion is just one of many I'm sure.

george9827
george9827

aaah, cashmeran. And I still haven't bought it, because I gathered that it must be too similar to norlimbanol, cedramber and oxyoctaline-formate, all of the same family of sensous spicy woods, and which I have and use... So now I MUST and create something similar to SL!!

meama
meama

I was terribly disappointed when Lutens launched the "Eaux"(Waters collection). The first was a sort of CK'One sold more expensive, the second "Froide" was slightly more interesting especially for its treatment of the mint, the third (which will be the last of the series) had little chance to make me change opinion and yet ...
The opening is frankly aldehyde with a sharp metallic appearance and there is a slow evolution towards an simultaneously animal and mineral musky base.
This is the opening of Chanel No. 22 with a touch of Sécrétion Magnifique and then a move towards what makes me think to the musky base of M/Mink.
It is not made for winter, but this summer it may well become for me an uncontrollable purchase. Fresh and terribly original, it is finally what I expected from a simple "Eau" by Serge Lutens.
A beautiful composition.

J'étais terriblement déçu par Lutens lorsqu'il a lancé les "Eaux". La première était une sorte de CK'One vendu plus cher, la deuxième "Froide" était légèrement plus intéressante surtout par son traitement de la menthe, la troisième (qui sera la dernière de la série) avait peu de chance de me faire changer d'avis et pourtant...
L' ouverture est franchement aldéhydé avec un aspect métallique tranchant puis il y a une lente évolution vers un fond musqué animal et minéral en même temps.
C'est l'ouverture du n°22 de Chanel avec une touche de Sécrétion Magnifique et puis une évolution vers ce qui me fait penser à la base de musc dans M/Mink.
Il n'est pas du tout fait pour l'hiver mais pour cet été il risque bien de devenir pour ma part un achat incontrôlable. Frais et terriblement original, il est enfin ce que j'attendais d'une simple "Eau" revue par Serge Lutens.
Une magnifique composition.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Laine de Verre fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Laine de Verre, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Laine de Verre by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Laine de Verre by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.