Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

Rose de Nuit Serge Lutens for women

Rose de Nuit Serge Lutens for women
dislike

beeswax

Rose de Nuit is a dark and animalistic female rose perfume. Like most of the Serge Lutens fragrances, it can also be used by men. It belongs to the exclusive collection Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido . Notes: Turkish rose, yellow jasmine, apricot, amber, musk, sandalwood and beeswax.

It is available as 50 ml EDP. Rose de Nuit was launched in 1993. The nose behind this fragrance is Gilles Romey.

Musk Jasmine Sandalwood Beeswax Amber Rose Apricot

Rose de Nuit Fragrance Reviews

christianne1
christianne1

"There’s this top coat that you can only get from Switzerland and I love the smell of it. I’m running out of it and I don’t know what to do…The top coat, it’s like perfumey…but there’s also something rotten. I know it’s crazy but I can’t get enough of it. Historically, the best perfumes in the world…they’re all laced with something nasty. It’s true! Irving loves it. He can’t get enough of it. Sweet and sour…rotten and delicious. Flowers, but with garbage….He always comes back for it.”

~"Rosalyn" (Jennifer Lawrence) from American Hustle

I don't think there is a better example of what she is describing than Rose de Nuit. Sweet and sour...rotten and delicious.

This is a dark, gothic, nighttime scent no doubt....it is big and opulent. Smells like the color of blood....if deep red velvet curtains in an old opera house could have a smell, it would be this.

The opening borders on unpleasant. I put this on at bedtime and was not moved. I woke up and sniffed my hand to see if it had improved and I could not stop sniffing. This turkish rose is black. It has a few drops of the dark fruit from Bois et Fruits. With just a touch of cypress and a bit of amber. And as Rosalyn described....something rotten. Beautifully rotten. Musky and completely unisex.

This is not a happy rose. This is a very somber rose. Peculiar. A deep, introspective, depressed rose. I imagine the library of an author of vampire novels would smell like this.

"Sweet and sour…rotten and delicious. Flowers, but with garbage...". And like Rosalyn and Irving, I can't seem to get enough.

keedon
keedon

There are two rose fragrances that one must try at the house of Serge Luten; La fille de Berlin & this. Of the two, Rose de Nuit is the better fair. It has a very prominent rose that leans unmistakenly towards the feminine side. It is that same sharp and fresh rose featured in La fille Berlin. Yet as it develops, the nature of beewax and the warmth of amber starts to surface, giving it an unisex influence that transform the rose into a soft smokey finish. It is definately one of the best. Appropriate for spring and summer.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

We used to have a climbing rose in our garden. It had the most opulent flowers I have seen, deep red, almost black at the edges of the petals, thick and velvety. The petals were so dense you could not see the yellow centre of the flower but the scent emanating from it was so enticing that every time I was passing by I just had to burry my nose in one. I would suck the air insatiably and with every draw of breath the scent would change from fruity floral to a deep, almost animalic muskiness with hints of old liquor, like red turns into black on the petals. Unfortunately that rose tree is no more after a heavy storm brought down a nearby tree on it and crushed it. Rose de Nuit comes pretty close to recreating that unique scent experience for me. Don't know about others, I just wish it lasted forever on me, becoming heavier and heavier until it stifled the whole world under the weight of heaps of black-red petals.

Sunduri
Sunduri

Reminds me of the way my grandfather smelled after a shower and shave. Its been 35 years since he died, but the drydown on this reminds me of him. Not my cup of tea for scenting myself, but is nice to spritz every now and then to travel down memory lane and smell granddad's aftershave.

iahe
iahe

Mounds of dried, dust-covered roses. That's how Rose de Nuit starts out on me. When the first intense cloud settles down the beeswax makes an entrance, transforming this dusty rose to something even drier and more muted.

And I like it. It's like being in a faded grand old house filled with the memories of a glorious yesterday. Rose de Nuit is by no means a fizzy or lively rose, quite the opposite. It's heavy and dark and powdery, almost substantial and definitely regal.

On a girl Rose de Nuit would likely seem incongruous. It is a fragrance for women and men who can carry themselves and the weight of this defiantly opaque bouquet of blood red roses.

djuzz.becuzz

Well... when 'indolic' comes to my mind when smelling something 'dirty' then that will be the word I choose :)
To me it's indolic, it's my opinion and I'm just sharing it...
Might not be indolic to you, but it surely is to me...
Civet does not smell like poo to me,.... it smells more like catpee ;)
Or better: dried catpee residu in an overly full ashtrey...

nastyamason
nastyamason

I tried wax sample. I could not tell what was in it besides rose without pyramid but it was really heavy, old and unpleasant.

wbp
wbp

Unpleasant and oldish smell. Reminds me some kind of curative beeswax cream with herbs inside. Yack!

djuzz.becuzz

I just received 32 solid perfume samples of the Serge Lutens line. I just put this on my hand, it reminds me of civet again, or maybe it is indolic jasmine... with a faint hint of dusty rose coming through... Not something that pleases my nose.

fanny
fanny

The opening in one word: weird.
Rose de Nuit seems about the abuse of a rose.
Whatever freshness a rose can give, is totally smothered in beeswax, jasmin and apricot, the result being a very strange fruity darkness (with occasional weak yet harsh shrieks from the ailing rose), ultimately refering to decay.
After about 15 minutes though, the delicate and fresh rose starts to fight back with help from tingling sandalwood. As sorry as I felt for this mistreated flower in the beginning, I now start to feel exhilarated for its successful comeback.
When you are prepared to endure the first agonizing minutes, a lovely, no, a real beauty enters the stand, not unlike the proverbial underdog finally getting the chance to be justly appreciated for its superb qualities: this is a classic!!

Standing ovation please.

(Review is about the solid perfume)

This wore very old fashioned on me, with strong tart rose backed by marked aldehydes, powder and green notes. It definiitely called to mind old style perfumes, but it wasn't strong enough or distinctive enough from them to recommend itself to me. Would definitely not purchase this one.

steveniox
steveniox

For me, the beeswax is definitely the prominent note, a sort of soapy, earthy smell, smothering the faint light of the rose. The musk and jasmine are added after the initial dry down to further drown the rose to silence, leaving an earthy, musky jasmine with just a hint of sweetness fading in and out at later stages. Quite a dark perfume in my opinion, but the sillage and lasting power, on me anyway, definitely could be stronger. After 40 minutes, it's barely there, having to bring my nose so close to the skin to smell it, it has to brush my wrist. Disappointing there, but otherwise this is a very interesting scent.

adrienn99

Tested this first almost a year now - one more thing to add - its honeyed sister, Balmain La Mome.

Also shows some similarities to Miller Harris Rose en Noir (no honey there the latter but similar in both being old-school gothic dark rose)

fpih
fpih

Let me start by saying that I'm not a rose fan. And I have to say that this perfume didn't change my mind about it. It's a sweet, heady perfume that somehow reminds me of an old cheap cologne of the 80's: Latour Femme (at least I think that's its name). But anyway, the comparison to a cheap, drugstore cologne is enough to kill the buzz for me, even if I liked rose and sweet florals to begin with:( Plus, despite its sweet and heady character, it doesn't seem to last too long.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This opens with some sweet fruity notes, spices (maybe coriander?), some odd dead-vegetation notes, and not much rose. The sillage is almost like cherry jello. As it dries down it assumes a sharp, perfume-y, almost ambergris-like note. I think it’s the same thing that is in Boxeuses.

I like it, but it’s not rose. Actually, I probably like it better than if it had been rose. After the initial hour or so there’s not a lot of sillage, but a veil-like fruity-ambergris scent remains on the skin for hours after that. I like R de N, but would like it better if it were not so thin and delicate during the final 80% of its development.

puddley
puddley

Gorgeous!
I am not a particular fan of Rose and really dislike Jasmine but somehow, this turns two generally sharp notes into a soft velvety loveliness. I got a pack of the little solid samples and this was one I prepared not to like, I was really surprised. The honey/beeswax is quite evident in here, maybe that's the note that softens the composition?
Florals for me never seem to quite hit the mark, it's as if in the creation, the sensuality of the flower is lost to an overwhelming hit of abrasive 'pow'. This is different, wearing it I am instantly transported back to the road I used to live on in Northern portugal. I could walk along in the early evening smelling the gardens wafting out their sexy sweatiness. This is just like it, not an individual flower, but an amalgamation of the greatness of nature. It's even got the bees.
There's only really two hits in the sample so I will have to use my imagination next time I want to go back!

icekat
icekat

ROSE DE NUIT is different but absolutely gorgeous interpretation of the rose. It is dark and opulent but also warm and sensual. It has silky and comforting feel but yet it is very attractive, modern and unique. If you are looking for natural and fresh rose, this will not be the one. If you are looking for bold and spicy one, this is also not the one. This rose is like a farewell summer’s kiss when the autumn slowly creeps in and touches the rose petals with its cold breath. The rose gives then this sweet final embrace mixing its divine aroma with the dried fruits and falling leaves. Perhaps it blooms near a cathedral where the comforting aroma of natural beeswax candles mingles with the divine aroma of the late rose and autumn scents. This is how ROSE DE NUIT smells to me.

The scent opens with the slightly oily and a bit sharp earthy rose note. It is like ROSE DE NUIT managed to capture the whole rose with the petals, stems and roots. Then the scent softens into a smooth and sensual rose and dry apricots scent mingling with the beeswax. The beeswax and amber are weaved together in the gorgeous dry down. I have to comment on beeswax note in this scent as it is absolutely divine here. This note is hard to do but ROSE DE NUIT managed to capture the glowing warm beauty of melting natural beeswax. The composition is masterfully blended and executed.

I definitely recommend this scent for rose lovers. (My overall score is 10/10). Why 10 out 10? The composition is unique and gorgeous. This scent left a long-lasting impression on me and while it is unique, I find that it is quite easy and pleasant to wear. The projection and longevity are medium and better than many other niche scents I have tried. I will definitely add it to my collection.

adrienn99

kind of dark indeed, soaped-beeswaxed rose, very earthy, reminds me of Frederic Malle's Une Rose in a way.

This is not for those who are looking for fresh, lively roses like Stella, Se Majeste de la Rose, Paul Smith, etc. Don't feel mislead by the beeswax note, this is not a sweet or gourmand fragrance.

This one is quite daring, not a crowd pleaser for sure. Piece of advice, test before you buy.

fenlady
fenlady

Got a small decant which arrived today. Dabbed it on. Yuck! Really sickly, unpleasant, like something that's gone bad in the drains somewhere. I'm so disappointed - I usually love all rose fragrances, but not this one. A real scrubber.

Grazia
Grazia

It's very famous perfume, many people love it.
What can I say, I tried it in a shop, it's seemed too oily for me, I didn't like this scent.
I prefer Stella Sheer for rose perfume.

Aalia
Aalia

I have such a small sample, a 1/2 mL, and it's fading so fast, I suppose I must write my review now, because perhaps in one hour, there will be nothing left to write about.

Impressive and intoxicating, however still soft, delicate, and cloudy. The rose is forefront here, however not sickly overbearing. The jasmine can be felt when I notice something thick, but with a miniscule hint of green on the edge. The apricot is of a dried apricot, the kind that are bright, fleshy, (unsugared)and round. It's not the pungent, singing apricot of Daim Blonde, it's just a nuance here. The amber combines with the beesewax so effortlessly that I am reminded of those little carved stone jars of solid perfume. As the perfume dissapates, the beesewax can also be noticed individually, quite a treat, to have such a delicate scent- right there, so fine, and exact, as in nature. The musk is muted, but works wonders in the backdrop, mixing with everything, giving it all a bit of a boost. I am love the constant swirls of sandalwood too.

This is an excellent linear. I can sense the individual notes, and I can enjoy them mingling and playing amongst themselves, too. One standout quailty for this perfume, is that it seems to have texture, a live, active texture. The airyness it creates, has form and prescence, almost like incense in the air, but with no smoke. At moments I find it to be lightly resinous(ah how I enjoy that). At times, a sticky sweetnes seeps out, then quickly fades away. The heavy night heat in this room-improves the sillage and potency of the scent immensely as I sweat here now. The perfume itself could be the backdrop of a theater performance, the velvet robes and silk shoes of the actors, it's all that is needed to stir up amazing scenes in one's imagination.

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens 4.02 out of 5 based on 133 ratings and 21 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.