Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Rousse Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

cinnamon
Rousse Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Rousse by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Rousse was launched in 2007. The fragrance features amber, mandarin orange, cloves, resin, cinnamon and cedar.

Amber Mandarin Orange Cloves Resin Cinnamon Cedar

L'Eau
Eau Lente

Rousse Fragrance Reviews

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

I can't wait to try this delectable sounding perfume whilst smoking a clove, to smell how they intertwine and flutter about one another, all around me

Perfumed life
Perfumed life

When I first smelled it I remember my reaction. Did Christmas came early this year? Don't get me wrong. But all that cinnamon . But with all creations I learned to judge them after you evaluate them for at least a few hours after the first encounter. And it changed a lot. The cinnamon was always predominant but cinnamon does that is one of the most strong modifiers in perfumerie (I personally in my creations rarely use cinnamon I prefer cloves, nutmeg, and even pepper after all you can compose a similar scent of cinnamon but more subtle) so with cinnamon you have to be very light handed or use it in trace . After the hours past it became more woodsy the tangerine started to give it shinning face and the orange appeared. Then the woods ( give me woods and take my heart) came out cedar and maybe some Caucasian pine ? Anyway for me is still my Christmas perfume very gourmand like baked cinnamon cookies and all those Christmas smells in the house. For a cinnamon addict one of the best .

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

Reminds me so much of those red hot fireball candies. I love this one so much, it actually smells "hot" when you sniff it, particularly in the opening. Might not be for everyone but I'm still bummed this is discontinued.

juji
juji

I was just gifted a rather larger roller decant of this and totally love it. Spices, cinnamon ! I could have sworn I detected some rose but that's not in the notes listed. This is an airy spice dream! Highly recommended for those who are wary of the big orientals. Don't be afraid; Come over to the dark side and enjoy how beautiful, soft, and lovely they can be!

muzzbait
muzzbait

cinnamon and resins all the way throughout. it's quite nice, i must say, but quite similar in parts to serge noire. both occupy similar domains, but i think serge noire is a smidge better. just a smidge...

there's a sharpness in the resinous element (it'd be a mid of oppoponax and galbanum, i'd say) and it just knocks the balance off a tad. the individual components work quite well, on the whole, just not as smooth as it could've been. nice, nonetheless...

gentiana
gentiana

I get a lot of cinnamon and the other spices that, for me speak about winter culinary pleasures: apple pie and gluewine ...
I like my perfumes less spicy.
A lot of better choices for my chemistry and my taste in the Serge Lutens line.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

I've had Rousse just a short time. Not knowing if I'll ever have the pleasure of owning another bottle, I have to resist the urge to spray away which is hard to do because I absolutely LOVE cinnamon in anything Serge Lutens and the opening is where this cinnamon is at its best.

I realized today, with all of its cinnamon spicy goodness aside, the base is very similar to the flat, powdery, woody L'artisan Bois Farine. Looking at the note breakdown here, I knew there was a missing link so I looked elsewhere for the official notes list.

Unfortunately, it all seems to be a matter of opinion as some say violet and iris contribute to its powdery accord while some attest that vanilla is included as well as dried fruits and generic woods. All agree that cinnamon, cloves, amber, mandarin and woods are definetly there, but not necessarily cedar. Another proclaims musk is amongst these notes.

As frustrating as this is, I personally get a strong cinnamon and clove combo in the opening, followed by powdered wood (I assume iris is in there somewhere) and amber (which may also contribute to this mysterious phase) with a mild mandarin touch. And that's all, folks. It doesn't develop much after that initial spicy opening and from there on out, the whole thing is very tame.

Like all other Lutens in the woody category, I expected some VA VA VOOM!! I'm not disappointed by the quietness of Rousse, just surprised. I actually appreciate it's light airiness and find that it lasts quite well, despite its "shy demeanor." To me, it's reminiscent of bread dough in the drydown, making it a tad gourmand. I detect no vanilla. Very special, this one. I only wish it would become more widely available again.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Rousse is a true oriental spicy, but a calm, gentle one.

The initial moments are poignant due to the strong cinnamon notes. But they calm down and cloves can be detected. And then we have a perfect chord of those two notes in beautiful balance.

We can also sense the mandarins and the cedar, but they are soft, nearly silent, for cinnamon and cloves are more prominent.

As mandarins and cedar work, everything gets in the second perfect balance and everything is in its due place.

Rousse is a comfortable fragrance, but it takes some time to get to this point: cozy, warm, calm, perfect for cold days. Those days when you step inside and enjoy a fine hot beverage on your old smooth couch.

kayraven
kayraven

This is a wonderful fragrance for winter. Exclusively warm, oriental, exotic, sweet, but within limits, it's a magic liquid of cinnamon perfection. This scent is a fusion of mandarin, cinnamon, cloves, spices, floral & aromatic notes, fruit, cinnamon wood, precious woods, amber, musk, iris and vanilla. This perfume has a misty, mysterious, dark, sexy vibe. I love that the floral part of this fragrance is quite indistinct and unobtrusive. But the fragrance is quite heavy for me, even though I definitely enjoy the smell. This is a great value for money in my opinion in a simple, classy, elegant, minimalistic bottle. A definite repurchase.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Very spicy and dry. I think someone else likened this to red hots which made me smile. I can't help but agree. Even after an hour my arm had a red hot candyish (I know not a word) smell to it. I was waiting for some woods to kick in. The woods took a bit to show up. There is no smokiness or incense to this scent which sometimes can happen with heavy spices. Pretty straightforward. I wish it had a bit more depth or a few more layers to unravel. I always make mulled cider in the fall and this reminded me of that. I think I would layer this with another scent. If you like dry straightforward cinnamon and cloves give this one a shot.

saritarose
saritarose

Well, I'm a rousse, more or less, so I think I ought to try it. The descriptions sound attractive, and I like Cinnabar.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Spicy spicy! This is like a candied version of Cinnabar; not that Rousse is really that sweet, but that Cinnabar was so very dry and intense. Rousse is very cinnamon-y to me, like red hot candies. I also sense the cloves and amber, so it is not just one dimension. It is very warm and rich. As intense as it is, it does not overpower. Sillage is maybe arms length. It radiates but is not a fog of scent. Longevity is >5 hours. Thoroughly enjoying my tiny decant!

nastyamason
nastyamason

Of entire wax pack of samples Rousse is my favorite so far. Loved it from the first sniff and knew I will be getting a full bottle, even though it discontinued and overpriced now. It is such a pleasant and comforting Christmas scent. Cinnamon is not overpowering. Rousse is the perfect mix of cinnamon and cloves with resins and amber. Gorgeous!

antfarm
antfarm

Semi-bitter cinnamon bark and salty dough. Very transparent and light. Now the dough is fading into the background and cedar and cloves make an entrance.

Already plenty of reviews for this one, so that is all.

muskymoi
muskymoi

Mmmmmhmmmm.

Sexy gingerbread woman taking a rum-heavy eggnog bath. Delicious.

Keep this spice flowing. Oh wait. Is that a bit of pipe tobacco coming in there? Cloves?

Boys better watch out if I'm wearing this anywhere near any mistletoe. Just sayin.

persefoni
persefoni

A wonderful smell, my second favourite from the Lutens.... and another remedy for migraines... soft, warm but not sweet, magical !!!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Quite a lovely spice scent. I don't find it to be heavy, but given the I have Fendi Asja in my wardrobe not a surprise. This is not like Diptyque Eau Lente Sillage which can be somewhat difficult wear because of its upfront clove and headshop cinnamon.This is quite gourmand though dry and throughout the day I got about 5-6 hours of a pretty linear scent. I did pick up on a woody resin, but did not get any amber at all.

I think it would be a good starting point for someone who's interested in spice based perfumes.

This is also a fantastic scent to layer with a very dry and smoky vanilla (yes already tried it, I liked the combo).

josé luis.romero
josé luis.romero

Creado como una esencia de canela, no es más que la imagen de un niño pelirrojo de cabello ensortijado con la cara llena de pecas; travieso y afable a la vez y que espera con impaciencia la tarta que su abuela tiene en el horno mientras desprende efluvios aromáticos embriagadores de canela, mandarina y vainilla.
Un intenso perfume que recuerda el arte de la repostería hogareña y tradicional, los caramelos, la infancia y los placeres por lo dulce y tierno, todo ello “sobre alimentado” por la intenso estilo de Sege Lutens, aderezado por el ámbar, el clavo, la madera y el almizcle, con un toque empolvado que le proporciona de una longevidad etérea y cálida.

cryptic

a bass with a bow
The drummer relaxes
and waits between shows
For his cinnamon girl.

Whenever I wear Rousse, Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" is sure to be stuck in my head all day. Despite being more of a cold weather fragrance, I find myself reaching for Rousse lately to counteract the damp, rainy blahs. Rousse positively exudes warmth with lots of amber, spicy cloves and musky base notes, in addition to a large dose of cinnamon. Even though it is not as daring as some of the other Lutens scents, I enjoy it as an approachable, easy-to-wear addition to the line. And yes, it would suit a redhead to a tee, so Rousse is appropriately named.

Blimunda
Blimunda

To my nose, Rousse is rather linear cinnamon scent, warm, powdery and cozy, almost contemplating. The only one I enjoy wearing before falling asleep, I guess its dullness just turns me off and instantly transports into the land of dreams! :D

fanny
fanny

Variation on a theme.
Rousse fits in well with two others: Serge Noir and Fille en Aiguilles.
The opening is sort of bitter, but when you can bring up the patience you'll get rewarded with a warm ambery cinnamon.

Sillage: medium
Longevity: 4 hours

Too bad it has been discontinued.

emily7
emily7

Sharp and discouraging opening that smells like some bizarre mixture of industrial cleaning chemicals and Coca Cola. Luckily, slowly develops into less spicy and more balsamic scent with a hint of sweetness that makes it strange, but interesting and quite unique smelling.
I like it, but couldn't wear it - the cloves are just too heavy for me.
For a proper winter dose of cinnamon I would rather choose Diptyque Eau Lente.

duskangel101
duskangel101

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT layer this with Agent Provacateur. I thought this scent alone was too sharp and much like the clove oil I apply onto bugbite, so I assumed that the rosy muck would balance out. Instead, the strong medicinal note in that scent fused with that of this one, and together with the musk it just ended up smelling like that useful but unpleasant body part that I shall not name.

fpih
fpih

Copied from veruska' review:

"To me it's more cloves and amber than cinnamon resting on a sweet floral citrus bed."

I couldn't agree more. From the reviews and descriptions I expected a cinnamon powerhouse like Diptyque's Eau Lente, but didn't find it here. Instead, this reminds me very much of Arabie, just a little less spicy, so if you like Arabie you'll probably like this too. Also reminds me of PdE Aziyade, only Aziyade has more cinnamon than this IMO, while both carry the stewed fruits basenote.

I'm a great amber and cinnamon fan, but surprisingly this didn't work for me; I think it's the sweet citrus base which is a bit too sweet for me. I was seriously considering a blind buy of this now that it's gone from the export line and I'm very glad I didn't. Not bad, but I certainly can live without it.

laceyporter
laceyporter

Love it! Can't stop smelling myself. Cinnamon done right.

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Darn it but I REALLY wanted to like this. There is a soap quality to it that ruins the whole thing for me. Another blind buy. GOSH I have learned my lesson. Can't even pull out the cinnamon for having to wade through the soap cloud. For those who don't mind the soapy in their frag, this one will please you.

Will trade this full bottle (minus 3-5 sprays). PM me.

id
id

cinnamon and resin with clove. It smells a little bit like medicine at the opening. Like a pine with oranges in the kitchen with some baked spicy cookies. Interesting, not sweet, not sharp, definitely for cold weather. Smell of a cozy luxury. Special.
Longevity 9 hours.

tonni
tonni

Too cinnamon to me,What I got are all baked cinnamon.

Mostly this is cinnamon spice with something in the base to keep it more complex than just cinnamon. Still, it's primarily cinnamon, so if you don't like that scent, stay away. If that's your Holy Grail of perfumery, this is your baby.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Do I love cinnamon ? YESSSSS ! :-)
This scent is perfect for my current winter-christmas-feeling but goes beyond.
As most Lutens frags Rousse conveys more than just some exquisite ingredients. There is a feeling of warmth, sensuality and to some extent also comfort. Despite the spiciness its gourmand character remains subtle, no sweet cinnamon pops here but a dry cinnamon wood note. Very nice.

mseidoom
mseidoom

Doc Elly, you basically said what I would have about this fragrance. The only thing is, the lasting power with me was less than what you experienced. I ended up liking it a bit more, after another testing. I'll see if I will buy a decant of this. To anyone else trying Rousse, you really have to like cinnamon.

cryman41
cryman41

I love cinnamon and this perfume is the most luxorious way to wear cinammon...it's a jewel in my perfumes' collection

Nandathomp
Nandathomp

Sexy, Classy and Mysterious ... Those are the three words that come into my mind when i wear Rousse.

It starts with a woody Cinnamon. Than the woody turns down and cinnamon stays a little sweeter, but not too much.

I wished i could describe better how wonderful this scent is. My Boyfriend just loves when i wear it.

Definitely one o the bests in my opinion!!

gr3g
gr3g

At the begining it's spicy cinnamon, a bit sweet something like cinnamon bubble gum and I love beggining part the most, drydown is not that sharp it's like cinnamon tea smooth calm and not that intense, all in all it's very nice fragrance.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Cinnamon & cloves = heat. I have only small decant of this and doubt I will never get a full bottle, but it is not bad at all.

On my skin this is pretty linear scent with lots of cinnamon and cloves, with very light balsamic-woody-smoky backdrop. The amber is barely detectable. I would very much like to use this on layering, actually I'm wearing it right now with Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca - the lush and moist greenness of it lifts the cinnamon & cloves to all new dimension, a vibrating combination. Can't wait to experiment with it and some sweet scents - well that might not be for the hot weather we are experiencing right now...

Cinnamon bark and sticky play-doh (you know that flour-y salty note? That's it) Just not good on me in any way. Pass.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Oh, I am so glad I got to try this! Thanks Solvita :)

Straight up: cinnamon tic-tacs, Big Red chewing gum. Bold, strong, sweet &....well, just very, very candy-cinnamon.

After some time the clove-tinged cinnamon mingles with a note that reminds me of orange peel beeswax oils rubbed into ancient, dry woods....but all-in-all this is one big, dusty, cinnamon bomb.

I love a good spicy scent, but worn alone this is a little linear for my liking. I am in concord with Nuppu - layer this up to add interest to more genteel orange-fruity frags & spritz liberally to corrupt those innocent rose scents.

Would I fork out for a big bottle...probably not....but this would be a nice scent to own in decant-size to perk up some of my more calm frags.

Solvita
Solvita

Cinnamon and cloves in high concentration.Not gourmand,but woody.Reminds me of Feminite de Bois by Shiseido.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

My family loves when I smell Rousse. Come up to me, draw the air and say :what a wonderful cinnamon! Indeed, Rousse is cinnamon perfume, but not edible,Rousse is elegant, mysterious, very feminine. Character, haze reminiscent of the great L'Heure Bleue, even though it smells different. Beautiful smell - as the summer, late evening.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Cinnamon! The first thing out of the vial. A dry, woody cinnamon, not a sweet candy one. There are some other things underneath the cinnamon that were hard to define, but as the scent dried down it took on a little bit of a floral character. I did not smell amber at all, at least not anything that I’d define as amber. Rousse is mainly dry spice, cinnamon with a hint of cloves, all the way through. The longevity was moderate, about half a day, maybe a little more. To me, it’s a pleasant scent, but not one of my SL favorites.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I love a good spicy Oriental fragrance that shape-shifts on my skin-and Rousse is not it.

I can't elaborate too much-since Rousse was a scrubber for me...Not too much cinnamon-but too much cinnamon and cloves-together, the opening doesn't promise any of the desired resins or the toned down yet voluptuous amber of dreams.
There is no fair way to review a fragrance that gives one a headache-but I think this fragrance would actually shine on somebody else, as it has a strong personality, yet a natural smell-natural materials and some true-to-olfactory-group true-to-Lutens quality. Somebody, please sample this and come hang out with me for a few hours, so I can smell its transformation-on you.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Another one that I am confused about. This one is very cinnamon spicey one... Maybe too much for my taste. On a woman its not bad but I am thinking too much about christmas cinnamon cakes exactly like CDG White. Not bad but I wont buy it.

9154mf
9154mf

Ive only tried about 5 of SL's perfumes and I havent had much luck, as all of them have seemed, to me to have a really dirty heavy skanky undertone. I thought this would be the same, but after a bouple minutes its a nice slightly sweet ambery cinnamon, the sweetness comes a hint of fruit, the mandarin must be but it doesnt smell of any particular fruit really to my nose, anyway this isnt groundshaking but its nice and the best SL ive come across so far. I doubt id buy the FB but i wouldnt mind a decant.
Tried it again and I don't know how I liked it before, I smell all of the spice/fruit from the notes, but the undertone of this is wax. Yes it smells like a waxy heavily perfumed lipstick rolled in a christmas fruit cake that has orange peel and cinnamon in it. Don't like it.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

It reminds me Vietnam balm that cures headaches and flues which we call "Zvezdochka" ("the star").

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

very harsh in the beginning (like putting cinnamon bears up your nose). after it settles down, it is sweet and creamy. smells classic to me. i do not picture many men pulling it off. would be a good scent for a barista.

veruska
veruska

I used to hate Rousse, but this winter i toyed a bit with my big sample and without really thinking that it's for me, i kind of like it more.To me it's more cloves and amber than cinnamon resting on a sweet floral citrus bed.Not great shakes but universally appealing.

cognac
cognac

Rarely does one come across a perfume
that evokes memories to reckon with .
This opens with cinnamon alright .However its the cinnamon bubble gum flavor with hints of spice, that takes me back in time.
I love this soo much and this has gotten me compliments as this smells wonderful on my skin.
Another brilliant one by serge lutens!!

PR
PR

Pure cinnamon,strong but not sharp and though I like cinammon, but I felt sick from this one in around 5sec.

Nuppu
Nuppu

Truly cinnamon, warm yes, but not hot or heavy on me. If you crave for almost dry feeling cinnamon scent, this is it, you coud imagine it brown cinnamon powder on spraybottle. There is mildy sweet tone also, making this little bit towards mulled vine. So comfortable.

The thing that make Rousse exceptional good, is it great potential in mixing with other scents. I've always loved spicy cinnamon in perfumes, and now I can make them more cinnamony, or mix it with something really different, like now, Bvlgari Rose Essentielle, so lovely spicy rose! And one of my comfort classic, Chloe gets in winter mood with Rousse. Peach, creamy tuberose and warm, brown cinnamon, pretty damn good together, I might say.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I bought a bottle on my trip to NYC last year. The cinnamon candy notes can be a bit overpowering at first, but the dry-down on this fragrance is absolutely beautiful. Woody, balsamic, slightly sweet. When I spray it on to go out for the evening, I can still smell the base notes when I wake up the next morning. Good fragrance for the winter months.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

Heavy, strong cinnamon to me. Overwhelming at first. It wasn't even sweet, but I didn't wear it so I am not sure of the dry down. I bet the dry down is very beautiful. I'll have to try it again.

Naamah66
Naamah66

I love this ! Beautifull, sweet cinnamon...

2007