Designers » R S » Woody Spicy « Groups

Santal de Mysore Serge Lutens for women and men

Santal de Mysore Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

Santal de Mysore Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Santal de Mysore Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens is a Woody Spicy fragrance for women and men. Santal de Mysore was launched in 1991. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features sandalwood, caraway, spices, benzoin and styrax.

Sandalwood Caraway Spices Benzoin Styrax

Santal de Mysore Fragrance Reviews

Baseeta
Baseeta

This has been one of the quickest and hardest I have ever fallen for a fragrance. This one is speaking to me with no translation required. Is it silly to say that the song. "Natural Woman" has been playing in my head since I put this on? Who cares? It is what it is and I think I need a FB of this one. There's nothing screechy about a single note. This is peaceful and unifying....

shushkin
shushkin

Its an amazing woody spice bomb. I can imagine some ladies frightened of this power house. I might be more comfortable with it because of being half Punjabi. I might eat curry every few weeks as its not really my thing but I do love spicey fragrances.
Santal Mysore has it in bucket loads. Its fantastic to wear on a cold day. To say the sandalwood has a bit of competition here is an understatement. My only criticism might be that I would like more sandalwood. It does take a while for the wood note to appear in all its glory. Moderate sillage and great longevity. You will never feel cold when you wear this.

fuckusernames
fuckusernames

The opening smells just like irish whiskey. Jameson or Bushmills etc. Weird.

Kind of turned off by that.

karola12345
karola12345

I usually love sandal wood and oriental Serge Lutens perfumes, but this is horrible on my skin - it's just sour smell with hints of sandal.

Maeldron
Maeldron

Santal de Mysore is the best sandalwood fragrance I have ever used on myself. It’s beautiful, balanced, embracing and powerful. On my skin, for my nose, it’s also clean.

Sillage: moderate, almost heavy
Projection: between moderate and heavy.

I won’t buy it because santal itself is not my style, yet I am amazed by scent.

Update: from the Serge Lutens fragrances I won’t buy, this one wants me to buy it the most. It’s talking to me. It’s one of the most beautiful fragrances I’ve ever had on me.

farang
farang

I love many of Lutens' fragrances, but this is basically curry on my skin. It starts with a blast of spices and I am fond of several spices, but this turns into Indian curry which I prefer to eat rather than smell like. Unfortunately, the curry lasts throughout so the sandalwood is pushed into the background. Mysore? Mysore curry yes, but Mysore sandalwood no.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Serge, I know I have been cross with you lately. The jist of my ire can be summed up quite neatly: Shut up already. Just make the perfumes. We will take it from there.

So perhaps it is fitting that I am finding my love for your house renewed by this offering from 1991. The only fairy tale that comes with Santal de Mysore is the smell of the perfume itself.

It opens with sandalwood, a sweetly boozy sandalwood that burns off its sugar fast, and becomes a dry, clean, carved-wooden-fan sandalwood that is marvelously elaborate while still being totally direct. Then, what is listed among the notes simply as "spices" dramatically snaps the fan closed and reveals itself to be none other than cumin, thereby creating the first edible evergreen.

I've never thought of a particular wine paring to go with a perfume before, but by chance on the night I first tested Santal de Mysore my husband brought home a bottle of 2010 Middelvlei shiraz from Stellenbosch, South Africa. The wine itself was redolent of sandalwood and made the perfume come alive in ways that leave me without adequate words to describe them. Try the combination if you can and tell me what you think.

Wine or no, I love Santal de Mysore and will buy more of it than just a tester. It had excellent longevity and, for being such a mighty perfume, very acceptable sillage-it won't black the eye of anyone sharing an elevator car with you.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Sweetish, creamy, musky opening of sandalwood with a resinous/caramelised side which makes the whole blend round and sticky like a toffee candy. The same stickiness prevails also on the balsamic/mossy side, which however shows a nice anise-liquorice note. A decent load of cumin and spices (basically curry) all over. As minutes pass the resinous-balsamic accord comes in shape contrasting with the sweet-creamy one of sandalwood and musks, on a pleasant and nondescript dusty base which reminds me of tobacco leaves and other drier and darker woods. To be honest the opening is a bit cloying and too much sticky, while it then evolves better, still a bit pasty, quite close to Fille en Aguille just with more sandalwood and more (too much, for me) cumin. The thing I do not enjoy is this persistent syrupy sweetishness, which eventually finally dries over after a couple of hours, and you basically get a honest, soft, finally "bright" and more balanced sandalwood base with some shady aroma below... yes, basically what more straightforward scents like Santal Noble give you since the very first seconds. I would say that if you are strictly a sandalwood fan you may find it interesting, but I am not sure if you would love it, as this component is just a feature in a more complex composition – as I said, quite a dense and rich spicy-balsamic-resinous blend. For me it's a good scent, materials smell nice and the evolution is fine; worth a try, not a blind buy, as it may feel "cloying" since the very beginning (like it did to me). Decent persistence – still there after five or six hours.

gmstrack
gmstrack

My initial reaction to Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens was one of disappointment and confusion. Yes, the sandalwood was there, but it was hiding under a huge pile of spices and dessert. It was just too much; I found it too heavy, too cloying, and too much like dinner. A couple of months later, I returned to my sample and tested again, however, this time I applied some to my arm and proceeded to clean the back deck. A gentle spring breeze wafted the most amazing scent past my nose. What sort of flower is that? Duh. My nose touched my arm and the pleasure center in my brain lit up.

At that moment I understood Serge Lutens perfumes and how heat and wind—two things that usually disfigure perfume—work to break up the heaviness and transform a dense mass of duck fat and doughnuts into a delicate 4D architecture. Don’t just test the perfume on a blotter; test it on skin. Take that one step further and go for a walk outside or turn on the ceiling fan. I like to think of SL perfumes as 3D video—one needs to use the proper equipment to get the full effect, but it’s worth it.

In addition to resins, spices, and sandalwood, I’m picking up several other notes that unfurl chaotically in the breeze: there’s immortelle, orange blossom, rose, and coconut. SdM does remind me of Copper Tone suntan lotion, but the kind worn at the beach after the sun sets.
4.5/5

edooardo
edooardo

Too strong! Too rich!
Enormously related to the Vedic Period of Indian history!
Savoury caramel, Salty Maple
Curry, Cumin !
Pure Sandalwood essencial oil with the dryness of the wood dust, so addictive!

Feels like we have to travel hard from Bangladesh´s salty sea to the dry edges of India to find and feel the great pleasure of this amazing hidden sandalwood fountain.

While visiting Serge Lutens Store you´ll sample the fragrances through little perfumed paper strips that stays there for hours. Thus it helps you figure out the real heart of the fragrance, the drydown. Among all strips there, SdM shines as the main star. Among the sandalwoods, is by far the strongest, the boldest, the most consistent, the most confortable, the most realistic, if not, the best ever created. Santal Majuscule is a ghost with a small cocoa touch and Santal Blanc, just a western water flavored.
The SdM´s BellJar bottle without the spray top atomizer makes me wanna not just dab it on my wrists, but instead, makes me wanna use my palms to apply it generously to the front and back of my neck and all over my body!

Chances are that fans of Andy Tauers´ L´air Du Desert Marocain will fall in love with this immediately. Ultra high quality molecules. Master perfumer genious.

Sillage: Close to skin
Longevity: Excellent on my skin, on paper and on clothes

thehanna
thehanna

This sounds like a spicy woods scent but is closer to a gourmand. There is a subtle exotic spiciness in the opening but the perfume is predominantly warm, sweet, salty like a creamy salted burnt caramel.

I thought this smelled very similarly to Praline de Santal without the heliotrope and plus a few spices.

cytherian
cytherian

I'm revisiting my review of this fragrance, because my first one was quite early on in my nose education. I didn't really have much of a basis of comparison to go on.

Presently, I own Diptyque Tam Dao, MPG Santal Noble, Davidoff Zino, Melvita Sandalwood, and SL Santal de Mysore. Each have their own take on sandalwood, all inspired by the original essence but now of course containing synthetic. What sets SdM apart is that while sandalwood is not the loudest note, the accompaniment is delightful and doesn't drown it out. There is a spicy and smoky caraway/caramel/cumin thing going on with a creamy styrax balsam touch. One might almost call it gourmand.

Projection is decent, but longevity is a bit shorter than I'd expect... maybe 5~6 hours tops.

From what I've read about this, each biochemistry will bring out different notes, so it's best to sample it before buying. I got lucky and find it works well with me. I've got a small amount but will definitely have to get a decent sized bottle.

Lastly, if you get the larger version of SL fragrances, they come in a glass splash bottle bell jar with glass stopper/applicator. Very nice, but alas rather exclusive. The concentration is enough where all you need to do is wet your finger and glide the fragrance wherever you want it.

Frankly, I'm surprised the overall votes for SL SdM has slipped below 4. I think this is one of the better fragrances that has come out of this house, after having sampled about 8 others. 9.5/10.

jht4060
jht4060

Santal de Mysore is an amazing scent from the intensely curry-spice-caramel-caraway-smoke-coconut opening to the sandalwoody base. I love this scent, but I will have to side with those that say that a cuminy spice note lingers right until the end, so this never really smells that much like sandalwood to me. My take on Santal de Mysore is that this is Sheldrake-Lutens riffing on themes that sandalwood suggests to them. And a gorgeous riff it is... it makes me feel like a Maharajah.

I have samples of seven supposedly pure sandalwood oils (though not Mysore of course - I doubt there has been any real Mysore on the retail market for years, though there is no shortage of fakery). They vary a bit but are quite similar - a subtle creamy off-dry blond woody scent, a bit like Atlas cedarwood with most of the cedary smell removed. Sandalwood does have an almost magical radiance to it, but I am hard pressed to find the specific note when there is much of any other smell in a mixture - it is that subtle. It has frequently amazed me how often people claim to find sandalwood in the base notes of various fragrances. I suspect that sandalwood (more usually its synthetic recreation) is indeed used in lots of perfumes that list it, but it forms more an underpinning than something you can pick out. To my mind sandalwood is like the down filling under a richly brocaded pillow cover - you can't see it directly but it is there making the pillow plump and inviting. If you want to smell like sandalwood, Eden Botanicals carries a Santalum spicatum (Australian sandalwood) oil that is very close in scent to Santalum album (Indian sandalwood, including Mysore) but is a bit less expensive. But be warned - even with the pure oil, if you dab it on your tummy or the small of your back, you won't be able to smell it at all. Well, I can't anyway. Dab the pure oil liberally on your wrist or your throat (or between your breasts if you have them or your pecs if you are the gender with breast envy). Then you can smell it, though it will still be subtle. Sandalwood lasts a very long time, which is part of why it is so subtle - it evaporates very slowly so there is never much in the air for your nose to pick up.

By the way, in case you are prone to retail deceipt, if you find a cheap sandalwood oil for sale, it isn't real sandalwood, though it may smell quite similar since its synthetic recreation isn't that hard, and the very inexpensive oil from Amyris balsamifera smells pretty close too. All true sandalwood species are slow growing hemiparasitic trees that don't yield a lot of oil, so once wild stocks of sandalwood were exhausted it became very expensive. Hemiparasites are plants that derive part of their living by sending specialized parasitic roots into the tissues of other plants, but they also photosynthesize to produce some of their own energy. Mistletoe is the most familiar hemiparasite. So you can't even grow pure stands of sandalwood - you have to grow them mixed in with their host plants. How strangely wonderful that rather nasty parasites smell heavenly (sandalwood) or are traditional symbols of kissing (mistletoe).

evesoho
evesoho

There are similarities between SdM and two of my other favourite fragrances from Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan and Jeux de Peau. Namely the abundance of spices, but also the texture which is heavy, dark and smooth.

With Santal... I feel like a queen seated on a throne as one subject after another presents me with golden bowls of the freshest spice until my court is filled with fragrance. I'm honoured when I wear it.

I wish that the "mainly sandalwood drydown" that many of you discuss would appear on my skin, because I love sandalwood! As with all other Lutens I've tried, the scent just grows softer and softer, but doesn't change much from the opening.

Still, slight linearity is not a flaw here. I'm talking about structural linearity and not "linear" as another word for "boring". I don't expect perfumes that smell this exciting to develop in any particular way. Perfumes with linear structure are often just as exciting as any other 'fumes that dry down into a few base notes.

Update: Fiancee vehemently dislikes Santal de Mysore on me. This is the first time he's ever volunteered a negative opinion on any fragrance besides "that's too strong" and this review came 6 hours after a light application! He has mentioned it all night long with great distaste, so I actually feel sorry for him. I asked him what he didn't like about it and he said, "smells like sour milk." It's too bad!

zaynaz
zaynaz

This has a very savoury, foody, smell initially. I'm pretty sure there's a fenugreek note in here (fenugreek seed, not leaves), it smells a lot like the ground fenugreek in my spice cupboard. There's a scent reminiscent of fresh dill, with the slightly (sorry) urine like smell that can have. It even has something coconutty in there, like coconut milk in a dish rather than on it's own. For a little while this has a bit of a BO vibe to it. Then the sandalwood peeks through and suddenly we're talking about a completely different beast. Santal de Mysore stops smelling like an unwashed spice merchant and becomes sophisticated. It reminds me a lot of those 'sandalwood' Chinese fans you can get in import shops, and which I adored as a kid. It keeps all those spice notes but they fade into the background adding depth to the almost sweet sandalwood.

I actually quite like this as a scent, though I'm not sure what reaction I'd get if I smelled like this. I kind of like the odd opening this has, it smells like food and unwashed people and life, rather than something designed to blot those smells out. It's quite a soothing scent in a way.

meganinstmaxime
meganinstmaxime

This is one of my favourite Lutens (so far anyway). Yes it is spicy upfront but I find that this takes me on quite an evocative journey. There is cumin but this doesn't bother me at all - in fact I like spicy so it's not a problem at all - however I know that many find this note difficult. Be patient and the beautiful sandalwood shines through becoming the dominant note in the drydown. It is really lovely and not too sweet. Sometimes I find sandalwood can take be too creamy and sweet but not here - a perfect balance for me. I like the journey it takes you on as well - it's definitely not a linear or boring scent. For me it's a great perfume - enjoy...

Repogirl
Repogirl

I’m not sure there are words adequate enough to describe this masterpiece. But you will never have the pleasure of experiencing its real beauty if you don’t give it time. What at first comes off as harsh and in your face spice, blooms into a truly wonderful sandalwood fragrance. This is a must for lovers of sandalwood and a scent I want to know forever.

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

Santal de Mysore is a very sophisticated take on a classic Santalum Album, and while the spicy opening appears to be one of its features most remarked by some reviewers, it seems to me that they are missing the point entirely.
To my nose those spicy notes in the opening, most notably that of cumin, serve to introduce the "exotic" tone of the fragrance and they actually enhance the distinctive woodiness of the wonderful base note.
Those spicy elements which may appear brash in the opening are entirely complimentary to the delicate beauty of aged Mysore sandalwood, which makes its presence felt as it comes to the forefront once the "spiciness" fades, and lingers on to dominate the drydown.
On my skin this process occurs within about 15 minutes - the cumin and related spices fade to a soft background as the real star of the show takes centre stage.
After half an hour the spices are almost undetectable as the prevailing note is that of vintage Mysore sandalwood.
The real mastery of this fragrance is thus apparent with the drydown, and the subtle beauty of fine sandalwood reveals itself.
Since childhood I have adored Mysore sandalwood and have been lucky enough to know this magnificent scent in many varieties and vintages, and I feel that those who judge this fragrance by its opening are doing it, and themselves, a grave disservice.

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

CURRY. Straight up curry. I guess it's the cumin but to me it smells like the curry powder in my pantry. The curry/cumin is so overpowering that the poor sandalwood is upstaged! I think if this perfume did not have the cumin, I would be all over it! The caraway I think is fine (I'm not even sure I can smell caraway specifically over the loud cumin note.) It's dry yet has that sandalwood comforting sweetness that kind of melds with your skin so I think it would be really nice if not for the cumin. Personally, I really don't want to smell like an Indian restaurant (although I love to eat the food!) so I'll pass. Too bad since the sample was kinda pricey. Oh well.

EDIT: I just want to add that personally, I found that the spices lasted for the entire duration of the fragrance on my skin. I am definitely not judging the scent based on top notes alone. I agree the sandalwood is amazing, however it's overshadowed by the spices. That was my point. If Sheldrake toned the spice down so that it did fade after a while, I would be all over this.

Carnation
Carnation

If you are looking for a deeply rich,woody,voluptuous -ie:Everything Indian sandalwood should be fragrance should be,this isn't it.
Santal de Mysore opens with an almost burnt toffee caramelization with a honeyed top coat. The sandalwood is right there from the onset and is always present throughout.I get some cumin about 10 minutes after the opening and I can begin to understand why some reviews refer back to an Indian restaurant,but this does not conjure up images of an entree for me,but a dessert.35 minutes later it starts to soften on my skin and after 1 hour starts to wear warm and just somewhat closer where the sandalwood is weaving a comfortable spell.This is not a bad sandalwood,just a little too sticky sweet for my tastes.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Santal de Mysore is my most favorite fragrance from the SL house...

When I apply SM, it reminds me of this wonderful Indian restaurant I visited once in New York City. The restaurant was decorated with elegant coromandels, tables, and wall panels made of carved woods. The air was redolent of exotic woods intertwined with aromas of incense, curry, spices, coconut, and sweet dessert ingredients, which made the ambiance quite beguiling.

This is a remarkably adventurous and delightful composition. You will be in for a virtual trip to an exotic place in India.

When I first spray it, this train of Indian spices wrapped in this wonderful and prominent sandalwood hits me so uproariously. My olfactory senses are shakened and awakened for sure. Once the spices and the coconut scents tone down (but never disappear), SM will reward you with one of the sweetest, most exotic, and most enjoyable sandalwood dry down you will ever experience.

I have read reviews stating that people don't detect much of the sandalwood at first, but just the smell of buttery and coconut curry sauce. I can understand the curry because of the types of spices involved, but I don't agree with the absence of sandalwood. The sandalwood punches your nose right from the start and stays with you through the end. My only explanation is that the spice notes may distract some noses from smelling the sandalwood clearly. Just like any other sense, the olfactory sense varies from person to person.

SM is not a fragrance for every one. This is a love or hate fragrance. You must like the old-world and exotic scent of Mysore sandalwood and enjoy Hindu spices to truly appreciate this incredibly exotic and extraordinarily exquisite fragrance.

UPDATE

NOTE: For those who didn't read carefully, in my initial review above I'm saying SM reminds me of one particular Indian Rest because of the unique smell of the exotic furniture woods and ambiance of that one and specific place. This was a upscale, high-class restaurant that had unusual, very expensive carved wood decoration and alluring ambient incense/oils. I'm not saying that SM smells like Indian restaurants or food in general, please.

nancyknows
nancyknows

This smelled so good out of the sample vial I was ready to buy a bottle, but sense prevailed and I tried it on, which is a good thing. The top notes smelled very much like the opening of Jeux de Peau, which surprised me because the descriptions of the fragrances are very different. Next it morphed into Origins Ginger Essence, a fragrance I like but which is significantly less expensive than this, with a side of caraway that did indeed make it more interesting. The caraway faded on me quickly, though, and it was missed. The overall effect was more cool than I expected or wanted.

The middle stage lasted a long time, and wasn't unpleasant but wasn't what I was looking for either-- it smelled like old fashioned horehound candy. Much sweeter than I was expecting and quite gourmand.

The drydown was nice, but not distinctive at all to me. The search for "my" Lutens continues.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Santal de Mysore is a beautiful warm, embracing scent. But she wants you to stay with her a while before you see her true beauty revealed. This one doesn't sleep over on the first date or even the second or third date. She is a mysterious and engaging lady. You smell first a light fresh cumin, joined by a stronger slightly sweet caraway and mix of spices that some people are somehow identifying as coconut. It is not, it is caraway, beautifully expanding with the assistance of just the right blend of spices.

I find this not reminiscent of Indian food, but of a spice market in the early morning. The spices are dry and clear, not wet and simmering like spices in food.

After about an hour of drydown the cumin and caraway are enrobed with a sweet, creamy sandalwood and other woods that keep the sandalwood from being overly sweet. This development continues over several hours ending in a warm comforting little piece of heaven on your skin. I feel honored to be the recipient of such beauty.

This is a truly beautiful well balanced, amazing scent that unfolds like the petals of a rose under your nose. Breathe in deeply and appreciate it. Don't worry about what it smells like. Santal de Mysore smells like itself, just its beautiful complete self, finally disrobed and open to your pleasure.

Mignonette6
Mignonette6

I get the cumin straight away, it's the first thing that catches my attention. Then the sandalwood, sweet and caramelly. The cumin hangs in there, but it is not unpleasant to my nose. It doesn't smell of curry to me at all. Curry implies there are more spices than just the cumin, and I'm not getting any other spices. You know how tannins can balance a good wine? Or a splash of lemon brightens a dish? I think the cumin offers that interest, otherewise it might be too cloying. Sweet and woody. I really am enjoying the scent, but would most likely only wear it to bed at night.

polka
polka

Great scent if you're... an Indian chef ;), as it smells exactly the same as curry. Disturbing cloud of heavy cumin and nose-drilling curcuma. No trace of sandalwood or benzoin whatsoever. Literally spicy scent that is harsh and nauseating at the same time. A big no-no.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I really love this fragrance...
I wear it when I go to bed.. for my own selfish reasons..
it's a fragrance that most would recommend ..
for colder days ..
however its such an amazing find that ..
I'd say where it when ever you want...
to surround yourself and create an AURA...
of "Woody Deliciousness"..

its expensive ..200.00 USD a bottle
creating a sophisticated and regal allure ....
just owning it you feel special.

juan manuel ferrer
juan manuel ferrer

delicioso¡¡

lacrima99
lacrima99

I get a very strong creamy coconut and caramel on the top, a little spicy, but not greatly so. Very little "curry" for me, which is a good thing :-) I enjoy it and find it quite comforting, but I wouldn't shell out for a full bottle.
Edit: not much in the way of sandalwood, either, although it's there, it doesn't stand out over the caramel.

klohi72
klohi72

I wish this worked on me - it smells so intriguing in the bottle, but once on my skin, all I can smell is curried armpits.

finzi
finzi

Kterhark, I totally agree with you - I wore this for a day to test it and it stank of stale curry. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating curry and like the smell of it when it's cooking but I don't want my perfume to smell like that!

I hoped the curry effect would fade with the dry down, that perhaps the benzoin would add a touch of balmy vanillic sweetness, but no such luck.

Scrubber, all the way.

puppynose
puppynose

Artificial not at all like actual Mysore sandalwood. This smells like a couple of the aromachemical which can be purchased form theperfumer'sapprentice for a miniscule fraction of the cost of this stuff. So, if you can stand that sort of thing, you can read up on sandalwood accords and "woody" aromachemicals and save yourself a ton of cash. Oh, this is a concentrated and tenacious little stinker- it smells strong in the bottle and lasts and lasts on skin, which would be great if I didn't hate it. Foolish of me to put it on once I smelled the decant, but I just HAD to be sure! Only the tiniest little dab of my decant from theperfumedcourt simply would not go away fro hours even after wiping with oil and washing with hot soapy suds!

letbythenose
letbythenose

When I first smelt it I was in Palais royal SL amazing tabernacle for my first time. I was so drown into emotions that I started crying, this is how touched I was by this scent. It is a Santal Mysore: so rare so reach so emotional. They just took it and expand the different facets it already have. I am happy it exists. Thank you Lutens and Sheldrake.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Call it what you like, but this is no sandalwood. What it is is an Indian buffet, and a harsh, caustic one at that.

Honestly folks, save yourselves the jingle and powder your hair with curry. This did not wear well on me at all. Its pure spices. I scrubbed it before the dry down, as it was testing my patience and at the end of day I have too many options to bother with a bad sample.

So, not for me, unfortunately.

AtlanticusFinch
AtlanticusFinch

This sandalwood opens with a fragrance just like fresh, high-quality maple syrup (I put this sample on before breakfast and starting salivating for pancakes)! Woody, spicy, but too sweet and sugary for for my taste in a man's fragrance. The maple syrup persists all the way through the drydown, but after two or three hours the maple syrup makes way for the sandalwood to emerge, leaving an overall sweet, sugary sandalwood (spicy, woody) drydown. This is ok for a change of pace (if you want to risk being bitten by your SO before breakfast), but I prefer a much drier, more simple sandalwood fragrance. I would not buy this.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A very spicy, bordering on curry scent on me. Santal de Mysore eventually melts into a warming veil of sweet sandalwood and cinammon, balanced by the benzoin.

zielona
zielona

Sadly enough, it's my private sandalwood-trauma. Too strong, too rich, too spicy - erm, glutting. I don't feel well in salty/sweet notes in perfume, so Santal de Mysore almost killed me with its power and oddness. I admit - it's intriguing, as every Lutens' perfume - but definitely not for me.

elusivek
elusivek

This is unusual. I don't mean in an extreme manner, it's rather subtle. At first whiff I get honey and woods. An amber and tobacco note follows. Then it takes a completely different turn into coconut, spice, and sandalwood. If finishes with the cumin, a little sweetness, and the sandalwood. Definitely unisex, leaning more towards the masculine.

What I like most about this is it's like an exposed piece of aged sandalwood with nearby scents wafting around at the same time. I appreciate that there are no smokey or incense notes to be found as that has been done to death.

I like the freshness/purity of it. I imagine being outdoors, in the woods in a foreign country in the summer/late fall in the late afternoon, with beams of sunlight streaming between the aromatic trees in almost a prism pattern. It sets a tone of peace/tranquility.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

If there was a type of sugar called "sandalwood sugar", it would smell like Santal de Mysore-it's a dark sweet sandalwood, not so dry-rich like a gourmand-like chocolate or caramel or coconut. Nevertheless, it's a woody scent, free of such notes. It opens a bit much for me-too sweet, but dries into a more typical sandalwood-mixed with the scent of hot skin. Very comfortable, and high quality-absolutely not bad, but not stunning.

Robert White
Robert White

Goddamn Serge for not mass marketing some of this stuff in the states...because this coconut scented sandalwwod makes me want to smell it on the back of the neck of a big happy puerto rican girl at a NYC parade in july, my arms around her, she's giggling as I tickle her. Good perfumes make you think stuff like this.

fotolux
fotolux

I like this original bell jar of Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. It`s very interesting fragrance for me. Not a typical woody sandalwood, but it is a great and unique scent. The sandalwood doesn’t really take center stage in this fragrance. Instead, the opening notes are dominated by a thick and heavy carmel like accord, and the drydown is very heavy in cumin. It’s rich, sweet, spicy, and woody.This beautiful unisex fragrance gives me a feeling of peace and harmony, and is the best rendition of Mysore sandalwood that I have smelled.

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens 3.90 out of 5 based on 205 ratings and 40 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.