Designers » R S » Floral « Groups

Sarrasins Serge Lutens for women

Sarrasins Serge Lutens for women
dislike

Sarrasins Serge Lutens for women Pictures

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens is a Floral fragrance for women. Sarrasins was launched in 2007. Top note is floral notes; middle notes are carnation and jasmine; base note is musk.

Floral Notes

Carnation Jasmine

Musk

Sarrasins Fragrance Reviews

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I had high expectations for Sarrasins considering all the favorable reviews and the exclusivity (not to mention price) of this bottle. Notwithstanding, I have much respect for the quality and composition of this fragrance.

However, Sarrasins is the least animated of the jasmine-centric perfumes I've recently sampled.

On opening, I get a metallic note along with jasmine. Indole begins to bud, but then is harnessed by the metallic blue/green note of clove-like carnation. I think similarly the clove is what some reviewers are identifying as bloody in SL A La Nuit. I feel this note brings death to the jasmine's natural urge to mark her territory with her erotic effluvium.

I have discovered jasmine perfumes across the spectrum as delicate and innocent as Yves Rocher Tendre Jasmin, to the notoriously salacious Lush Lust, but Sarrasins is the first that I dare categorize as the matron of jasmine. She is mature, sophisticated, wordly, refined, and has hallmarks of a passionately lascivious past.

mymlan
mymlan

I had only a 1/4 of a sample and spilled it all over my wrists. I just LOVED the opening which was a promising quite sugary and spicy floral fragrance. The first ten minutes I was perfume heaven and very sure it would enter my wantlist. But then after half an hour I picked up a subtle chemical note which unfortunately ruined it for me. I guess it's the jasmine that doesn't work very well on me.

It got better after a while again but all the good stuff were since long gone and what I had was a slightly weird smelling musky floral with medium projection. People seem to be raving about Sarrassins but nevertheless it didn't work on me. I guess "try before buy" would be my advice, unless my sample was bad?

IlDottoreFaustus
IlDottoreFaustus

I've worn Sarrasins for days. I love indolic white flowers, but, somehow, at the end the white flowers section in my shelf is almost filled with dry, smoky and balsamic ones.

Sarrasins should have take over the "Sa Majeste" of the SL rose. However I have both A La Nuit and Sarrasins, they are as mentioned before (or below) different. But one thing I don't agree with is that Sarrasins is far away from being indolic,and this trait made me give it up four years ago when at the Palais Royal (ou Palais Lutens). Instead, Sarrasins tends to be dry and even with a sugared fruit facet to me. The presence of jasmine here is nearly immobilised as a sculpture. It doesn't radiate, but awe everyone with merely its presence. The drydown is splendid with carnation note - not a real one, but a perfume idiom within French perfumerie I think: powdery, spiced with clove buds, and lots of musky things, which makes Sarrasins noble and supreme from beginning to end.

in Chinese language circle, some people described Sarrasins as a ferocious leather jasmine... I totally don't agree with it either. I am addicted to leather and I don't even detect a rabbit one in Sarrasins.

LordD
LordD

It's similar to A la Nuit but without the green sparkle. A fantastic jasmine dressed in dark purple velvet.

One of my favourites, if not my favourite fragrance.

6h later: Still there! Very soft, but noticeable. And it's been getting muskier and muskier by the hour.

pravda48
pravda48

@farang:

After reading all the poetic and sensual reviews for this fragrance I felt a bit ashamed to post my honest opinion: that it smells like a porta john, more than just a bit...

I'm glad to know that other untrained/unabashed noses do definitely register the heavy indoles as 'poo smell'. I was reminded of urinal cakes and that made me sad.

However I can see it's a very creamy white floral too, she's just a bit too wild for me. Also I have to be careful of what I wear in my workplace (it's important it's downright attractive and NOT off-putting to anyone!!)so this would never work for that purpose.

Too indolic for me I guess; oh poo =/
... ;)

Damn you, beautiful dark purple liquid in your beautiful glass bell jar...! I wanted to like it, honest!

vivik
vivik

Fantastic jasmine with some serious horse power, drydown to die for.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

i didn't think it's possible to better Lutens other masterpieces such as Chergui, Bois de Voilette, Fille de Berlin, and Feminite du Bois but Sarrasins is my favorite Lutens now so far..what a treat to smell and wear! will definitely get backups though Sarrasins is at the expensive end of Lutens line

teilani
teilani

This is a fantastic noir done with my favourite white floral. I am pretty sure it's the animalic notes in the base that make it such a good example of a noir.

I get some indoles with the first burst of jasmine, but not at concentrations that are unpleasant. In fact, I can find nothing unpleasant about this scent. I am treated to a heady jasmine rounded out by the other florals on application - I would never have been able to name carnation, but find it a good balance to the jasmine at first. Whether it is suede or leather, I DO get that note along with the musk in the middle/base notes, and I am enchanted.

I am fairly confident men could wear this as easily as women, and while it could be worn during the day easily enough, for me this is a perfect evening scent.

I do not often find myself distracted by any scent I am wearing, but this one has managed as much repeatedly over the last day. I _really_ don't need another full sized bottle of any scent, but this one has just rocketed up to the top of my list for retail therapy indulgences.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Congratulations Ms. Yourfoxiness for your excellent review: poetic, elegant and sensual.
Sarrasins is truly sheer beauty. Something enticing and comfortable like a velvet cushion on a smooth bed. It is sweet, but mildly sweet. Creamy, very creamy and exquisite. It is like the effect of a magical spell.
Jasmine comes first, indeed; with its unmistakable presence and spirit.
As jasmine reduces its power (and it takes quite long to fade), Carnation crops up with an unusual green aura, most probably due to the influence of the stubborn jasmine which insists lingering.
And yes, at the end there are floral and musk . Delicious musk, by the way. It reminds us of those 80's fragrances. Dior's Poison, to be more precise, with that woody-floral-musk final notes.

farang
farang

I love many of SL's fragrances and florals. After a bit of dry down, Sarrasins is indeed a beautiful - not sharp - Jasmine. And completely unisex.

The opening is rather challenging though. Someone asked me: What's that sewage smell in the room? Obviously it starts very indolic and it last for at least one hour. If you can get pass the opening accords without much fuss, then the rest is bliss.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Sarrasins is beautiful. I have never been the type to love a floral bombastic beauty. I usually prefer a complex blend, but something kept drawing me back to the sample. Sniffing the wax samples, my nose always landed over this one. Something creamy. As white, and soft as a virgin's skin. When I close my eyes & lose myself in the scent I picture only pale beauty. Unashamed, captivating and confident, she enjoys the feel of silken sheets & fine things. Jasmine so beautiful the smell brings to mind the actual tactile FEEL of a silken petal. A bed strewn with hundreds of them. And something darkly palpable, delicious tension you could cut with a knife. I feel like this perfume is for the bedroom, or a dark room. For a black dress, or nothing at all. It is for the white skinned beauty that lures you into delicious darkness. You follow her to your divine destruction.. And you go willingly into the night. Her night.

Honestly, such a beautiful jasmine. Creamy, and darkly mysterious, almost palpably sexual, like a racing heartbeat & dilated eyes..I refuse to pick it apart further. I don't care to. If you love jasmine, this is a must try. I find it FB worthy, and I used to detest jasmine strongly. She has me.

Time for a review edit, now that I've tried the liquid a couple of times, & I'm still very much in love. The growl is louder, there is a lot more "presence" here, than with the wax sample. There is a bit of a fruity aspect on the top that floats around a bit, but never lands thank goodness, its just for balance. I could see this perfume as being "moody" it may love you one moment & seem too strong another. But I love strong fragrances at night, and to be clothed in the dark, there is no better scent.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

This is absolutely beautiful. It smells authentic,like sticking your face in a freshly bloomed jasmine bush. The Jasmine is knockout and it lasts a good 12 hours too, so although it's a high price, it might work out good value long term.

It ends in a little honey and musk and is so pretty. Reminds me a little of Serge's A La Nuit.

deadidol
deadidol

I quite liked this, and I'd argue that in no way is it purely a female fragrance. A Bergdorf Goodman SA suggested it to me after I'd expressed interest in De Profundis, and I was somewhat surprised by how much I liked it. It's a fairly dirty jasmine fragrance, but one that smells very natural.

truffles
truffles

Sniffed and tried a solid sample of this today. It's Madonna Truth or Dare - exactly, or more likely Truth or Dare is it.....
Someone mentioned below a rotting smell. Yes, maybe the jasmine but I think carnations alone naturally smell rotting - not 'animalic' or anything like that, just bad rotting, can't stand them.

e_ah
e_ah

I Had high hopes for this based on the reviews. I like my florals to be slightly animalic and when I first opened the tester I got a nice whiff of very realistic jasmin with a touch of horse like you sometimes get from red wine (which I really like). However, when I tried it on it felt like a practical joke. I can smell some jasmin in the top notes but it is completely overwhelmed by a very strong smell of horse and feces. It is exactly what you would smell while changing a diaper in a stable. I was so fascinated people liked this I made my husband smell my wrist just to see his face. And he really liked it. He usually goes for the flowerbomb type of frags so it definitely wasn't an appreciation for the complexity of the perfume that did it for him. He could smell only flowers. There must be some chemical in this that only certain people smell. So just a warning if you like this and plan to wear it in a public place.

gmstrack
gmstrack

According to the Serge Lutens official website, when Sarrasins is “applied at night in a Moorish silence, it barely touches the skin…” Sarrasins made its mark when I applied one spray to my dry, ivory skin just below the wrist. The pale violet stain almost appears as a bruise, yet this is my secret to hold. This fragrance, however, is anything but a secret; a bombastic cloud of jasmine cut with grape jam fills the room. This white floral struts, tosses her hair, wears too much gold jewelry, and spends all day on her iphone. I was just about to dismiss Sarrasins as another hyper-feminine fruity-floral (albeit high quality), when suddenly, the initial romance receded to expose the underbelly of contemporary humanity: melting plastic, sweet animalic excess, and yes, feces. A monster.

Sillage and tenacity: Good

Overall 4/5

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

It has that decaying rotting real jasmine smell with more decay than flowers. Not my taste at all.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

I actually hate the smell of real jasmine so I'm not sure what made me buy this. Because this is real, mighty real, in the jasmine category. Poopy. But it also smells harshly chemical, like shoe stores used to smell when I was a child, so I love it. Then it flattens out and becomes sweeter and fruity but still intense. Challenging in the same way as Aromatics Elixir or Joy. Aggressive in ways we don't expect perfumes to be today, in 2012. Joan Crawford in grey fox and suede open-toed 1940s platform heels. Sarrasins is ready for war, or at least a war bond drive: can stand up to mass quantities of cigarette smoke. If it was a WAC officer her name would be General Admission. One of the best.

icekat
icekat

I normally prefer light and subtle jasmine but on rare occasions I completely fall in love with full-bodied, bold and carnal jasmine such as in this scent. Sarrasins captured my heart right away. It is a glorious jasmine scent with no trace of shyness or demure behavior. It is sensual and powerful, elegant and provocative. An unusual color of the liquid looks shockingly like dark ink, but in this case it reminds me of a velvet sky with myriad of stars shining over the jasmine grove where two lovers are locked in a passionate embrace. The sensual darkness of this scent reveals dangerous side of jasmine that I adore. The scent is carnal and in a way indolic. I hate indolic scents, but yet I crave this deep and animalistic jasmine.

I admire that a simple composition like this could smell so complex and multi-layered. It does not overpower me the same way as other jasmine scents, but yet I completely surrender to its mystical charms. From the first drops and to the last, I am surrounded by perfection of jasmine, creamy and sensual. And it lasts and lasts and lasts. The staying power is superb and, if not overdone, the sillage is perfect too.

I recommend this beautiful scent for all jasmine lovers. I have tried other jasmine scents, including A La Nuit, also by Serge Lutens, but nothing comes close to the beauty of this scent. If you love dark side of jasmine but can’t stand indoles like me, please give this one a try. You will be surprised at how attractive it could be when it is done right. Overall score 9.5/10.

tymanski
tymanski

jasmine, nor any soliflore for that matter, is really my thing. but this was so darn purdy in the swank lutens hq, i just had to take a chance on aesthetic brilliance & hope for the best. my wife said "too feminine" but i persevered, cuz i just wanted to smell like this, associations be damned. sure enough, it has become an elegant treat, much like ISM, La Myhrre and Sous le Vent that i wear when inspired.

speaking of inspiration, i recently got the idea to layer Sarrasins with MKK. it was wicked! so i went even further and actually combined 1/3 MKK with 2/3 Sarrasins in a spray bottle....... eureka!
close to the holy grail, to my nose at least.

vive serge lutens!

Espi
Espi

Serge Lutens fragrances start to bore me, because they aren't or don't seem to be very complex.
Sarrasins is a great jasmin fragrance that is very natural.. quite linear though , but for once that's not bad when you're a jasmin lover.. give me indolic jasmin any time!

I'm usually not a big fan of white florals but some Lutens, Malle and JAR make extraordinary exceptions. Sarrasins is surely among these.

A word of caution: In my opinion Sarrasins is one of those fragrances that should be approached at a certain point of one's personal journey into fragrances. It's not one of those compositions that are easy to fully appreciate by everyone, expecially by those who haven't never related to white florals' indolic facet.

In fact, Sarrasins opens with a breathtaking accord of indolic jasmine that brings to mind of Tubereuse Criminelle. The similarity here is not to be found in the smell itself but in the challenging power that both fragrances deliver expecially during their initial phases. TC is about tuberose, Sarrasins is all about Jasmine but they're definitely both wowers.

After the initial assault, a fruity osmanthus note joins the party and together with a suedey presence turns the fragrance into an extremely elegant floral leather that continuely remarks its presence with its decadent beauty. Thick but not too loud, slightly gothic and a tad grotesque. Just beatiful. Agrees with purple velvet and a wan face.

Rating: 8.5/10

vdxl
vdxl

A very carnal and arabian style jasmine, that does evoke the 1001 Arabian Nights- and can be worn by both men and women( unlike A La Nuit).

prot72
prot72

Sarrasins is all about jasmine. Much indolic than other jasmine scents and much more masculine than any flowery fragrances. Perfection in the botle and history of using jasmine as most masculine flowers by Persian fighters. It helps you understand why males from Islamic culture often decorate their hair with jasmine. This is nothing about female. It can be at least strange for western people but we have to "recalibrate" our thinking. Sarrasin is like vacation in the Middle Eastern countries - warm and sensual nights, best food, amazing people. The fragrance is very deep, a litle sweet and woody. Jasmine in Sarrasin is very natural, flowery not artificial at all. You can almost feel juice freshly extracted from flowers. It lasts forever. It can be a little challenge for western man to weare it but believe me it is amazing experience. Go and taste it.

fpih
fpih

Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine and then some more jasmine. Sweet and heady and indolent. I guess jasmine lovers will appreciate this, but I surely don't.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I was wondering what a bright purple perfume would smell like. Would it be thematically appropriate? The answer is that it might represent purple lilacs, but doesn’t quite do it. Right out of the sample vial I smell a strong lilac note, possibly an illusion produced by the expectation of something purple. In any case, it quickly morphs into an indolic white floral, namely a huge jasmine fully worthy of the 1980s. As another reviewer pointed out, it is what Alien could and should have been, although it doesn’t have the longevity of Alien.

The jasmine sillage lasts for 5 hours or so, then dries down to a slightly sour-smelling jasmine skin scent. I suppose that if you’re going to make yet another jasmine perfume you need a gimmick, and the bright purple color certainly provides one. Jasmine soliflores are some of my least favorite perfumes, so Sarrasins was overall a disappointment. However, if you’re a jasmine lover, you will probably love Sarrasins.

RolandShaw
RolandShaw

I remember attending a lecture at university about ancient Indian jewellery, in which the distinction was made between the way we polish up precious stones today in comparison with their 2,000 year old counterparts.

Walk past a jewellery display and the stones are polished to a shiny gleam that stretches out of them as many beams of coloured light as possible.
But Indian jewels were buffed to a dull matte finish, so that any light passing through would glow gently with a sultry warmth.

If Patou's 'Joy' or Luten's own 'A la Nuit' are bright, classical treatments of jasmine that are polished to a contemporary gleam, Sarrasins is a tribute to la fleur in the Indian mode, leaning towards an heavily indolic suede that brings out a melancholy I have come to expect (and love) from Uncle Serge.

This is all in stark contrast to the sharp blast that kicks the perfume off, when I detect menthol, pear, eucalyptus and jasmine all together in a loud minor chord that takes a good few minutes to settle down into its leathery central theme.

Jasmine is a note that I love on the blotter but never consider wearing. If I were to change my mind, this would be the first on my list.

id
id

Jasmine is so prominent, even all the other notes are here for my nose too. I don't know if I like it, but it is very memorable, hard to forget scent with a strong character. Purple color and the bottle are gorgeous. I am not a lover of floral scents or the note of jasmine, but this scent is impressive.
Edited: at the dry down the scent becomes sweet (like aldehydes sometimes smell) and musky on my skin.

Tusnelda
Tusnelda

I wish I could wear this, but I am clearly not ready for it. The opening smells like cat-poo and bad breath on me - with a little bit of flowers too. I tried to be patient, but I had to scrub it off after about 20 minutes as I couldn't bring myself to wear it to work.

flyushkifly
flyushkifly

first wearing today. haven't experienced dry down yet, so i won't comment on that or longevity.
top notes for me: 'floral notes' comes off as ylang ylang with a sharp, sweet-plasticky tang. then, if I hold my nose to it to let it develop, I get something a tiny bit animalistic, like brushing my face against a clean sheep skin with traces of lanolin. this fades fast and becomes more recognizable as jasmine - freshness with an underlying hint of fleshy decay. fascinating.
after a few hrs, i'm still getting jasmine, but it's sweet, persistent, and gentle. very comforting. maybe a hint of spicy carnation, but nothing distinct.
i love the purple color.

PhiloSniffía
PhiloSniffía

This smells like falling head-first into a bush of indolic jasmine in full bloom! As you're trying to make your way out of said bush, wriggling your feet perhaps, something dark and commanding ensues. This is the truest jasmine I have ever smelt, and if jasmine was my favourite flower, this would be a must.Unfortunately, it's not, but you have to appreciate the cunningly seductive allure of this scent. This Sarrasin is an assassin.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

For me it is a sort of ALIEN brought to perfection! THe deepness, the darkness, the staying power of that wonderfully gorgeous jasmine is to me MY Jasmine signature scent...and I used to Love Alien so much.. this is my new love and for now I say goodbye to you Alien..maybe we meet again someday..It is worth the price and I got myself the brilliant bell jar bottle at least..

Jasmine, is without a doubt one of my favourite scents. Especially when it has been freshly cut from the tree and placed in a vase. Many jasmine-based fragrances tend to add too many other components that ultimately destroy this fresh and delightful scent. Sarrasins, is in my opinion, the closest I have found to that true jasmine smell.

Opening as a rich, monster of a jasmine with a touch of sweetness, Sarrasins is by far one of the loudest florals I've ever encountered. While bright and fresh, Sarrasins tends to have a somewhat dark feel to it, almost in a gothic sense.

To my nose, Sarrasins isn't particularly modern, it has an old-fashioned and nostalgic presence. I see a mysterious woman, dressed in dark colours, with long, flowing hair, sending wafts of Sarrasins around her in a haze.

Despite Sarrasins darkness, it does have some brighter moments, especially with the introduction of the musk which softens the overall scent.

For some, the jasmine in Sarrasins may be too sweet and realistic. I personally love this fragrance, however it is a far cry from the creamy white florals that I'm used to.

The lasting strength is superb, as can be said for the sillage as well. For those that like me sought to find the perfect jasmine fragrance, Sarrasins is one that mustn't be ignored because of its price and availability.

janudy
janudy

This opens with a burst of jasmine--clean and bright. Then I swear there are indoles--that thing that kind of makes this smell like rotted flowers or really bad breath. Apparently, natural jasmine contains 2.5% indoles, so I'm not going crazy. But its presence is pretty light, and kind of makes this a dirty jasmine scent. I prefer the bubblier (and cheaper!) Annick Goutal Les Jasmin, though.

triplex
triplex

These "pictures "comes to mind when I smell Sarrasins:
You are on your way home after a perfect evening out. It´s summer but it´s a bit chilly cause you are just wearing a flowing white summerdress. You can hear crickets as you pass a night-scented jasmin wich scent fills the surrounding air.
Sarrasins is all about Jasmin and it oozes out of every poar. It evolves to a fenomenal amalgamation of jasmin and musk without ever being cloying and the purple colour just adds to the allure. Simplicity rules

veruska
veruska

Oh caressing Sarrrasins, you ve been one my favorites for a long time now!Definitelly the one Luten's jasmine themed perfume you should own.The start is a proper indolic jasmine accompanied by (i think) other stuff to be as rounded and seductive and as it dries the carnation as rheea oana already mentions give a very needed sort of balance between dark and bright elements, that last for a good amount of time (it lasts about 10 hrs on me , the last 3 as a subtle skin scent)! I always find strange the reason why is not one of the most beloved of all of Serge creations?

jillsy
jillsy

Gorgeous jasmine, like it much more than A la Nuit. It's sweeter and a bit darker to my nose. And gotta love the purple juice!

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens 3.92 out of 5 based on 179 ratings and 37 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Sarrasins fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Sarrasins, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sarrasins by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sarrasins by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.