Designers » R S » Oriental « Groups

dislike

smoky
cinnamon
Serge Noire Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Serge Noire was launched in 2008. Serge Noire was created by Serge Lutens and Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features patchouli, cinnamon, amber, woody notes, incense, clove, spices and ebony wood.

Patchouli Cinnamon Amber Woody Notes Incense Clove Spices Ebony Wood

Armani Prive Cologne Spray Ambre Soie

Serge Noire Fragrance Reviews

Annica
Annica

When you read the reviews it is as if you are talking about two different perfumes. I experience nothing of BO over it. Rather, it makes me think of a scented candle of the luxurious kind. The same sweet spiciness. Lovely scent.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

A gently swaying gibbet, you know, those iron body shaped cages that hold the corpse of a thief as a warning to anyone contemplating crime in an era when the book came down on you like the wrath of the almighty. Like the sweet alluring scent of the midnight flowering plant of death, the evening breeze carries decay under your nose as visible as the Bisto kids advert for gravy. And this is the gravy a gifted perfumer's brain squeezed dry. I can be basic and say that looking up the gibbett contains your fat sweaty woodwork teacher. It does. However it's not only demise I sniff, it's the un-floral kiss of a friend that you always trusted and half wanted to be.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Serge Noire was launched in 2008 and its name actually has a kind of double meaning. That's because the name of Serge is also the name of a fabric (In Portuguese, Sarja; in English, Twill). So, it seems that Serge took advantage of this duality, when naming this fragrance, but also to show a darker side of his personality, a kind of “Dark Serge”.

In terms of concept, he says: "My first name is the name of a fabric. It strikes the right note for this fragrance. In a similar vein, nothing can capture this scent’s spirit better than subtle "snapshots" from the past, like a forgotten glove lying on an antique chair. Incense stirred by the smell of burnt wood".
Serge Noire has notes of patchouli, cinnamon, amber, ebony wood, cloves, incense, ash, resins and mix of spices. Some say that it took more than 10 years to be ready.

On the skin, Serge Noire is one of the most powerful fragrances of the House, no doubt. And because of that, it is also of the type "love it or hate it". During the first hour, the smell scares! There is a vivid nuance of clove, with medicinal aspect (reminding the medicine used by dentists) and a sour smell reminiscent of sweaty armpits, especially on the areas where the perfume was sprayed. Maybe that part has something to do with the importance of twill in the late 19th century, when it was widely used in the manufacture of military clothing.

After this stage, a dark phase begins to emerge. The incense does not arise smoky, but pure, as if ready to be put on the coals. Still, a strong smell of spice mixes with incense, making me remember of cumin. And the wood seems dense, but not dry.
Then, a certain contradiction between the spicy and creamy begins to appear. The cinnamon starts to become more present and the incense starts to burn and leave its fragrant smoke. At this stage of evolution, Serge Noire doesn't remember, in any sense, that fragrance of hours ago.

Serge Noire evolves slowly and it is a smoky, spicy, strong, uncomfortable and quite masculine perfume, even though it's unisex. But don't think that the simple fact that you like spicy or smoky fragrances will be enough to appreciate this one. Not everyone can handle this more obscure facet of Serge.

I see darkness, ashes and pain fading out through the air, as the smoke of a fine incense, which burns slowly, perfuming and pushing away evil spirits.

Duskfall
Duskfall

This is not exactly the stuff of nightmares everybody's talking about, but it certainly isn't very appealing either. The sweaty and oily spiciness that appears soon after the opening is simply too much to handle! It smells like you've been eating tons of extremely spicy food (loaded especially with cumin) and for some reason you're literally sweating the spices out of your pores with massive perspiration. :D

That sweaty phase lasts a good 1-2 hours and it's followed by a bit more pleasant incensy-woody drydown. Unfortunately it's too late because by that time the scent is just a faint whisper with minimal projection (overall the longevity is about 4-5 hours). In this case the drydown doesn't justify the suffering caused by the first couple of hours. I have to admit that I'd never go out in public smelling the way this one smells on me; it would give out a sense of seriously lacking personal hygiene. A reasonable level of dirtiness is fine by me, but Serge Noire goes way beyond.

There are much better creations to be found on the Lutens line! This one is definitely not for me.

spcmiller
spcmiller

I just received a sample of this and it's a resounding NO! When people describe the cumin and cardamom in Declaration, this is what I think they're thinking of: this overpowering, choking, visceral scent. It bears a very strong resemblance to something I would order at an Indian restaurant, but without the redemption of being able to taste it also. I just can't see how this is a scent that anyone would find attractive on either gender, regardless of time of year or occasion.

Carestinus
Carestinus

I can`t believe I always evaded trying this before. Even today I sprayed 3 different Lutens before this and when I noticed I had some space left on my right hand I said: well... ok... let`s put this one that receives so many bad reviews...

And to be honest the first seconds it felt bad as if I had applied a rotten thing, but after some minutes I got bewitched. Dark, very sexy but somehow aloof and hard to grasp. It was definitely the one that i felt I had to have at some point and I think it is not an easy one but very unique nonetheless.I have to give it another go before I get it but it is definitely on my mind and can`t forget its charm. May it become my new signature? we`ll see.

The fact that it gets too soft in an hour or so is a bit annoying given its initial strength and presence, but it helps make you feel you can tame it a bit. Really really a nice finding!

Jyrhara
Jyrhara

Ordered this blind mainly because of one review (by Dark Lady), and the curiosity to find out what could be so polarizing about it. The bottle took a month and a half to arrive, and tracking information for the most part of that time just wasn't available. I onestly thought the seller had fooled me, but he hadn't. And then at the post office they couldn't find the package and I waited for half an hour thinking it got lost... but it hadn't. So when I finally took Serge Noire out of the box I was so afraid I had gone through all that only to be disappointed by the actual fragrance...
I was lucky! There's something haunting about Serge Noire. It smells of childhood, like the cola-flavored candies my grandfather used to bring me; it smells of comfort, like the embrace of a man I've loved and lost; it smells of safety, like spending a rainiy day beside a fireplace...
Can't really tell the notes apart, but I surely love Serge Noire, and don't want to wear anything else for a while...

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Smells like smokey tea leaves. I don't hate it but it's not especially great. If I'm being honest, this one, like a couple other Serge frags, don't smell very wearable, they're more like candles and functional fragrances. Just not really my thing.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

One of very few fragrances that I simply can't tolerate. This stuff seriously makes my stomach lurch.

Do NOT blind buy this.

Bog Eternal
Bog Eternal

I found the initial hit of wood and cumin a little off-putting (not bad, I'm just not a fan of woods, generally). As others have said, the dry down was remarkably different. I got incense, smoke (whiffs of something actually burnt), leather and perhaps a little camphor. Somehow the smell feels a little too distant or proper for me, but I could imagine men and women on whom it would be very intriguing. Serious, bookish (obscure books!), but darkly sexy. Like a very orderly and together librarian with a curiously obscure knowledge of occult books.

jamiehammond1980
jamiehammond1980

This is my first serge lutens frag and oh my God you really have to stick with this one as for me the opening has a kind of weird leafy green scent that I can't help thinking that it smells of Brussels sprouts and I noticed above that this is compared to black cashmere but to me the latter is the better of the two but once you get to the smoky dry down it's lovely but that green smell I'm really not sure where it comes from at first I thought it was an over dose of oak moss but its not even in this scent I just hope chergui doesn't turn out to be this challenging. X

aeriol.chapito
aeriol.chapito

What an interesting fragrance. It evolves and changes, from a dirty blob to a magnificent ashy phoenix.
This scent is anything but linear.

At first spray, a dirty spice bomb: a blast of clove, cumin, cinnamon, combined together on a sweaty base. Quite difficult to handle during the first 5 mins. Then this spicy sweatiness suddenly morphs into a dusty scent, very much what Serge states as "a forgotten glove on a polished armchair". Very evocative in its strangeness.
This doesn't last long however, and the true heart of SN starts to emerge, stronger and stronger: camphorous incense, then more and more incense, burning away the dampness of the spices, turning them warm and dry. And then comes the glorious final: mystical clove and cinnamon wrapped in clouds of frankincense. Mesmerizing. The cumin spiciness still stands in the background, dry and behaved, giving the overall fragrance an edge that makes it definitely unique.
In its dying phase, a sweet and soothing clove lingers for a while.

As for perfomance and usability: moderate sillage, but its barely tamed and can show up when least expected. I experienced a good longevity but I got to say, one of the few fragrances I prefer on clothes than on skin: it will skip the pungent start and fast forward to the dusty smokey clove stage, making you feel like an elegant vampire wearing rich dark velvet, even though you are just a poor mortal wearing cotton: Dark, refined, seductive without trying to seduce. Also on clothes this one definitely lasts for DAYS, as if it was made for fabric.
I don't usually rely much on day/night or seasons for wearability, yet this one is absolutely a creature of the chilly nights. Perfectly unisex, alluring on a woman, compelling on a man.

Final words: Morrocan souk under scorching sun, dusty precious woods and velvet, asian apothecary, deity that emerged from a bonfire, sunset on a forgotten garden: Serge Noire has many lives, and reincarnates itself into its final form as a serene and collected mystical beauty.
There is something deeply esoteric about this fragrance, and it has an intimidating but majestic presence that reminded me of a religious totem or a sacred statue. It has almost a personnality on its own, it feels alive.
One word: transcendence.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Upon application I pick up hefty doses of frankincense, clove, and cumin. The more I sniff the more I detect a strangely sheer layer of woods that gives it a metallic edge. This, paired with the dryness of the aforementioned notes is definitely unique and instantly identifiable. I have difficulties with cumin and this does not smooth it out, in fact it kind of reminds me of spanish food, or perhaps some strange, cold, metallic spice cabinet. It's odd to me, and I don't think I enjoy wearing it, but it's uniqueness is certainly intriguing. So far, out of the lutens I've tried, this is the weakest in composition, longevity, and projection so I'm going to say that this is nonessential for the Lutens line but certainly a worthwhile curio for those who are feeling dark, spicy, adventurous and perhaps a little bit hungry for some tortilla chips.

EDIT: This grew on me a TON. This definitely takes some patience, but over time I found myself sort of craving the strange cuminy aspects of the opening. Still not my favorite SL or anything, but certainly deserving of more than a 5, I would now probably give it closer to a 7 and would recommend it for anyone with a love for incense and a desire to smell something a little more prickly and out of the box.

avagard
avagard

Very similar to Nu (YSL), but with an animalic vibe. Not a masterpiece but if you're into mystic incensey fragrances you cannot dislike this one. However from the creative genius of Lutens I would have exepected something more. Nonetheless I wear it very often since it's so unobtrusive and non loud

Guinea54
Guinea54

I just have a small sample of this, but yeah, I thought of BO right away. It has that kind of middle eastern/indian spice or something in it that can come off like BO. If it didn't have that note, I would probably enjoy the fragrance a lot more.

Dark Lady
Dark Lady

June, almost midsummer, but it's pouring down. It is wet and cold outside.
But inside, wearing Serge Noire, I am warm and very happy in my skin.

I can only agree with steveniox: Serge Noire seems to be hugely a matter of skin chemistry. On me, it starts a bit austere for the first couple of minutes and then turns into Christmas at the fireside. For hours and hours on end it wraps me up into a cashmere blanket of cloves and cinnamon, woods and an absolutely divine incense. After a few hours it gets creamier and warmer still, but not sweet. Sandalwood and Vanilla and incense and the other spices more in the background? I can understand the phoenix metaphor. There is a lot of development in this, it changes and changes.
What I can't understand at all is the BO some reviewers seem to get. No, no BO at all. MUST be a matter of skin chemistry. It loves or hates you. I am grateful that it loves me and I love, love, love it back.
Sparkling, comforting, reflective and very sexy at the same time.
Whenever I smell this on a man, I could lick it off his skin.

Definitely a vintage feeling, and very unisex.

Like many others have said before me,this may be the very best Lutens (and I own many of them). I don't want to be without it ever and keep a backup bottle in my closet at all times in case I run out.

steveniox
steveniox

judging by reviews, this is a skin chemistry issue of catastrophic proportions. i got the chance to try this whilst on a recent trip to london. i'm not entirely sure what i was anticipating, but it certainly wasn't armpit. literal, week-old, unwashed armpit, on my wrist, in the middle of the store. great. it did settle down to a more subtle armpit, however it just had to be removed with copious amounts of hand soap and scrubbing in the store toilets. now don't get me wrong, i like animalic, skanky, indolic, camphorous, metallic, whatever unconventional fragrances; but i don't particularly want to walk around smelling like i've not showered for longer than public decency allows.

Donna Amethyst
Donna Amethyst

I appreaciate all the scents of Serge Lutens very much, because I finally find there what I had been looking for many years. Serge Noir is absolutely wonderful, it´s like sitting at a fireplace in a cold dark evening and smelling the burning woods, I literally feel the warmth of fire when I smell it! I will not wear it when I want to feel feminine or seduce someone, but when I want to feel comfortable and cozy, it´s a scent of home for me!

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

First the spices, then the musk (and what a properly good animalic musk it is) then the burnt woods and incense. I love it, but you've got to like all of those things to wear Serge Noire... also I find it a bit strange that such a strong musk doesn't last longer. Still, it is a deep favourite and I enjoy it thoroughly. It's dark, dark, dark and better in winter. Christopher Sheldrake has given us something beautifully gothic, the opposite of the fruity florals and crystal aldehydes on the market. This one is special. 10/10 :)
Update: if you sweat whilst wearing this, exert yourself or get hot, the acridity is amplified and yes, you do get a male sweat note as described by some reviewers. Not a scent for the gym, unless you're having a "thing" with your personal trainer.... doesn't put me off, but it ain't for the retiring :)

fuggerone
fuggerone

interesting but so animalic it smells like a t shirt you have not washed in ages!

I like this one, but it's not something that I would wear on myself. Definetely too incensey for what I can pull off as a personal scent.
Anyway I expected more according to notes. This is not such a big complex perfume. I can see it as SL's personal one, because it is quite gloomy but not too sad.

Lesser
Lesser

I'm fairly new to the Serge Lutens perfume line, so I had to try out their impression of a noir fragrance.

So what do I get out of this fragrance?
It is a very special experience with this one. It might sound fun, but it has an almost christmasy feel to it with the spice mixture. The same mixture, and especially the cloves makes it kind of septic. It reminds me a bit of tiger balm, since it has this clovy strong almost burn in you nose kind of feel. I also get notes og amber and freshly sawed wood. The definately is a mulled wine spice sensation going on. It also gives me a crasy metalic steel note that I really like, unfortunately not in combination with the other ingredients.

It really is a nice fragrance, an a truly dark one too but I'm having a hard time wearing it. It has a special oriental spicy feel to it that I like, but do not love. The quality though remains high throughout the product scent and bottle.

Overall Rating: 6/10

enigmaticessence
enigmaticessence

A little like Olympic Orchids DEV #2 . But only a little. The slightly smokey wood under layer is similar, yet this has an Arabian tart-but-sweet rose on top that makes it much lighter . The wood feels even more oud - like and less chemical. I like this composition very much, especially as I cannot wear DEV #2, but it is by no means a substitute for it's rich open fire smoke.

If you love pungent Arabian oils, soft ouds, and rose with a little bite, you will LOVE this. Strong and lasts well. Since my skin doesn't usually like these note, but it does like this fume, I am delighted. The arid spice is to die for!

muzzbait

i left that last review before i checked the individual components. there was something eerily familiar about this perfume, and then, when i saw that 'ebony teak' was part of it, it hit me! there's a "idole by lubin" current running through this! it must be the accord struck between incense, ebony and something else. this is a sweeter, spicier version on idole. both are lovely...

muzzbait

this one is extremely sweet and dense! i get the cinnamon and other warming spices, but i also get a large dose of bubblegum sweetness. it's there and clear for all and sundry. it's an intoxicating scent that is growing on me.

there's something sherbet fizzy about this in that it strikes some sort of accord that gives it a spritely boost. something animalic there in the background, too, but it isn't overpowering, just adding depth and base.

overall, a great perfume and one that warrants trialing. love it!

Shanester66
Shanester66

Im not sure what you guys are getting from this out the gate...but I get GAPO (Gorilla Arm Pit Odor). My goodness...really bad...underneath (if you did down enough) is something really spicey & rich...pleasant. Hopefully the GAPO dissipates but the opening is enough to keep me from purchasing a bottle.

update...ok, so now Im about an hour in and the GAPO is gone but that goodness underneath as died down quite a bit with the exit of the GAPO. Probably not a complete skin scent but nothing that projects much past 5 inches IMO. As with most SL offerings, this just doesn't last OMS.

Majja67
Majja67

Just recently recieved a sample of this and i can't get enough of i now, just ordered a full bottle!! :) Think this is the best of uncle Serge so far and believe me, i have tried and own a few! To me this has nothing with BO to do, it's not even dark, to me it smells of Christmas and gingerbread with it's cloves and cinnamon and incense! The topnot starts with some caraway that dissapears in a few moments, then it gets something almost chocolaty sweet mixed with cloves, then comes the cinnamon and incense and the earthy patchouli! It also has some wood in it that reminds me of Roberto Cavalli Nero Assoluto! After that it stays pretty linear until it disapears after 5-6 hours! It's mediumstrong, don't think i't projects very much, it's more like a veil of cozyness you are beeing swept in! Overall i think it's very warm, cozy spicy woody and reminds me of the holidays! One of the most underrated SL!

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

questo profumo risulta difficile da comprendere, ma per me è stupendo.
l'apertura è canfora, incenso, pepe, poi chiodi di garofano e cannella, con benzoino e legni addolciti. ricorda la notte di luna piena , illuminata da questa canfora fredda, e poi si riscalda con legni orientali e incenso .

markjcretella
markjcretella

I really dislike the beginning phases, and for me they last longer than an hour......more like 2-2.5 hours. It's that dirty sweaty vibe, not cumin but B.O.-like nonetheless. After that phase, I get a somewhat pleasant, spicy incense mix, but nothing I love. I am thankful for the ones I don't love after all, because I'm not a wealthy industrialist with a 7 figure salary. To sum up, very disagreeable first hours, turning into an ok drydown. Not dark or gothic for me. Slightly less than average projection, good longevity. My rating 7.0

Elizete Araujo Moura
Elizete Araujo Moura

amo perfumes com notas amadeiradas, especiarias não poderiam faltar (forte)e o ptchouli me faz recordar a juventude (onde tudo tem sabor de novidade)!!A força dos amantes é o ptchouli!!misterioso!!

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

This starts off really strong with licorice-like cloves and dark woody notes and a deep, dank patchouli. It's quite dry, but not sharp. I really love the striking combination of cloves and patchouli at their strongest. There is almost a camphorous vibe in here. Then slowly the incense appears and rounds out the scent. It's not a smokey incense, but a resinous one. I would swear I can smell labdanum and even some benzoin, but my nose is not the most developed one, so I'm not going to make wild assumptions. The drydown is smooth and dark resins and wood.
There is something dark and brooding about this scent. At first I found the opening too strong and too spicy, but I find myself continuously drawn to this fragrances. It makes me think f a deep dark forest without smelling piney or green. Wonderful fragrance.

Alisha76
Alisha76

I was so, so, so excited to try this. It started off promising, dark and lurking and licorice, and rich-spicy... I put it on both myself and my husband. After a few minutes on my skin it smells... acrid? Dirty? On him it smells like "you need to take a shower, your body is filthy". I enjoy the smell of B.O. but to me this turned into dirty sweat, urine, excrement, and spices. He was mad I made him wear it and can't seem to wash it off.
So wrong.

johngreenink
johngreenink

First smelled this yesterday. This is by far the strongest of all Serge Lutens' creations. The best way I can describe this in two-word phrase would be "Burning cinnamon." It's INTENSE. Extremely dark, earthy, peaty, brown, black and intense. Nothing really prepares you for this. It's not even so much an homage to darkness, this is just truly dark. After wearing it for about 5 minutes, I started to notice some of the subtler aspects to it (all the various aspects of cinnamon are explored here - NOTHING sweet, think of harissa and north African stews and savory kinds of spices, turmeric, something like fenugreek or a dark sourness...)

I can imagine this would be a tricky perfume to wear... maybe it's only for certain people, who have a skin type that would allow for such strong, ashy and embery stuff. I really began to like it (or I should say, grow very attracted to it) after a while; I imagine a wearer could really have a lot of daring fun wearing this and blending it with a flower scent on another part of the body.

It's just on that threshold of being 'dangerous', but just teeters and dangles on the edge. Dark and alchemical witches brew here.

milkyway
milkyway

Whow..i couldn't imagine this would get so many mixed reviews!..
I personally can't imagine anyone who would not at least appreciate this smell, let alone love it :-)
Mr. Lutens came up with a very interesting presentation of spices and resins. For some reason this is the only spicy smell of this family that managed to keep its distance and not get "too close" when applied.
To make myself clear - it does not make you feel like you just came out of a hammam where all the spices have soaked into every molecule of your body, hair, clothes..On the other hand, this warm and sensuous and smoky scent remains distant and surprisingly discreet, allowing you to appreciate it as a separate being rather than becoming a part of you.. So I shamelessly apply it head to toe when in the mood :)
I like the resinous, smoky, peppery quality of it..somehow SL never disappoints.

lollero
lollero

This is so rich and warm and it smells like food. It smells so much like strong tikka masala! It is a great fragrance but I'm looking something to wear, not to eat.

Lana148
Lana148

Serge Noire is intense, rich, intoxicating incense-spicy-woody fragrance. Clove, cinnamon, amber, woody, smoky notes stand out the most. It's complex: dry & sweet, seductive & reserved. Serge Noire projects confidence, I would love to smell it on a guy. There is also something dark and mysterious about this scent. Love it!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

On my skin, this is just... wrong, from the very first sniff. The opening is a really weird and unpleasant smell of, say, burnt soup and melting tires; I detect quite a lot of aromachemicals (like safraleine), a bag of spices with cloves above all, and a warm, oily smell of something like gingerbread, so I assume there's ginger and perhaps some flowers. But the very heart and the most unpleasant of all is a central, quite prominent note, which has an odd, rancid, warm decadent feel halfway between balsamic, spicy and earthy with a strong incense vibe. I'm blind-guessing since I have really no idea of what it may be – but whatever it is, it is not well-executed for me. I only know this smells terribly wrong for the first minutes. Then it slowly gets at least "smell-able", a prominent note which I think is still cloves and other spices but with almost a dry-floral smell (like heliotrope), a nice earthy feel and crisp leafy notes (patchouli), spices again, and some slight waxy violet/orris touch. Quite in a "futuristic" way, though: there is also a massive aldehydated presence, and overall, the blend smells "angular", thin and a bit metallic – like many other recent Lutens. The overall smell, apart from the unbearable opening, is strongly medicinal/balsamic. After a while, say, one hour, it gets more light and more wearable – the smell it the same, just the volume is calmer. If you are into that type of scents then it's worth a try, for me it's surely not worth another one.

dyst_opiates
dyst_opiates

On paper, this sounds like just my cup of tea. I often love spicy, non-floral, interesting scents. Omnia, Antonio Visconti's Coeur de Vanille, etc. And woods.

Anyway, unfortunately there are a few spices that stick out way too far, as opposed to a balanced blend that work seamlessly- especially later on, and it ends up potpourri-bowl rather than the luscious depth I was hoping for. It's not unpleasant by any means but not a perfume I want to wear. It is like a high-class take on a Yankee Christmas candle.

meganinstmaxime
meganinstmaxime

Serge Lutens is my favourite perfume brand and even if I'm not in love with every scent I really like, appreciate or respect each one. This one though has something in the opening that repulses me - it's a sweaty, very weird smell. I usually like cumin so it's not that but whatever it is I can't get this one off fast enough. I also have tried it about 4 x now but each time I get the same result. This goes down as the only Lutens so far that is unwearable for me.

Kain
Kain

Usually Christopher Sheldrake's creations are very rich, dark and complex.
When you see "Noir" name in this fragrance you would expect darkest and the most challenging fragrance created by this amazing artist, but actually it's not!
It's a dark fragrance indeed, but it's not something that you would expect from the name, specially with the knowledge of his creations.
The opening of this fragrance is an exotic mix of smoky, incensy and woody notes mixed with some spices and a little bit of sweetness.
I can clearly smell a woody scent from ebony wood which has a smoky and burned wood like smell and that's because of incense.
There are some spices and you can feel them, but they are a few steps back from that smoky woody smell.
There is a little bit of sweetness but it's in the background.
It's dark and exotic, but it's smooth and inoffensive.
It's like a big demon standing a few steps far from you and you're so scared, but that demon doesn't do any harm to you!
As time goes by the smoky woody smell goes to the background and you can smell stronger sweetness which is almost syrupy but not cloying at all.
Projection is good and longevity is above average, around 5-6 hours on my skin.
A good and solid fragrance, but you can find better ones from the brand. so try to buy them first.

عطرهای این برند در حالت کلی عطرهای تاریک و سنگینی هستن و وقتی شما نام نوار به معنی سیاه رو بعنوان اسم این مدل عطر میبینین توقع دارین که با یکی از سنگین ترین و تاریک ترین عطرهای این برند بی نظیر مواجه بشین اما در واقع اینجوریا ام نیست
عطر تاریک و سنگینی هست ولی اصلا در حدی نیست که شخصا توقع داشتم
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی تلخ و دودی چوب، چیزی شبیه به بوی چوب سوخته شروع میشه که مقدار مشخصی رایحه های ادویه ای و کمی هم رایحه های شیرین اونو همراهی میکنن
عطر حس تلخ و تاریک و سنگین داره، منتها آرومه و خیلی ازار دهنده نیست
مثل یه هیولای ترسناکی که چند قدمی شما ایستاده و شما حسابی ترسیدین، ولی در واقع اون هیولا هیچ آسیبی به شما نمیرسونه و فقط ایستاده و نگاتون میکنه
با گذر زمان اون بوی تلخ و دودی چوبی ضعیف میشه و رایحه شیرین عطر قویتر
رایحه شیرین حس شربت مانند داره اما شیرینی اش خیلی زیاد نیست که دل آدمو بزنه و خیلی دلچسب و قابل قبوله
پخش بوی عطر خوبه و ماندگاریش هم متوسط به بالا، حدود 5-6 ساعت روی پسوت هست
کار خیلی خوب و خوشبویی هست اما عطرهای بهتر هم از این برند وجود داره که بهتره آدم اول بره سراغ خرید اونا و بعد بیاد سراغ این

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

This is another beautiful Serge Lutens. Must wait for it to metamorphose I dont get a strong blast, to me it develops slowly... it seems like a woman inviting a man little by little in a dark unexplored room..... sultry, confident ...... beautiful. For women who are sophisticated and confident. A winner. Dont wear if you like conventional floral perfumes. Definitely getting a full bottle !

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

The notes sounded so very promising; however, the first hour was strangely liken orange blossom dryer sheet. The spices did come forward, but underlying it all was a smell of sweat that was not appealing. Interesting, but not for me.

Marciu
Marciu

I do love Serge Noire, however I admit it's a strange fragrance. It's dark and powerful. Right from the start I feel a lot of caraway, I know it's not listed in the notes, however I detect a big amount of that spice. Later on it's getting more and more smoky. It's the darkest incense that I know...

It lasts about 12 hours on me and is very powerful. 2-3 sprays are more than enough. Once I sprayed more and had a headache then. Less is more with Black Serge, I believe.

I find it as one of the best fall nights scent, along with Encre Noire.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

Serge Lutens - Serge Noire

This one is too much spicy... Extreme Level i could not wear it.

Many many kind of spices and condiments(cumin is the most detectable) and too much cloves.

I thought for a moment my skin was a meat with lost of seasonings (used to add flavor to food). So bad this experience.

Little bit of cinnamon and incense too.

Woody dry with little bit of darkness.

Not for me and not for many people...

sgnayar
sgnayar

This is one of the better Serge Lutens creations. But I am resigned to the fact that none of the SL works fit well on my skin.

meama
meama

118) Mixture Bizarre.
Ce parfum met du temps avant de devenir agréable. Il commence comme un grand bordel où rien n'est mis à sa place. C'est désagréablement cacophonique entre l'encens, le clou de girofle, les épices.
Heureusement petit à petit, péniblement ça se met en place autour du patchouli et de la canelle. Comme si on avait construit une maison avec des briques de façade et puis qu'on vient couler le béton derrière pour les faire tenir.
Je ne vois pas l'intérêt. Mais derrière cet assemblage brut, agressif et cacophonique, viennent peu à peu se blottir quelques touches de douceur, de notes vanillées, cuirées et résineuses, qui se superposent. Ca commence mal mais ce fond est vraiment à tomber.

Bizarre mixture.
This fragrance takes time before becoming enjoyable. It starts as a big mess where nothing is put in its place. It is unpleasantly cacophonous between incense, cloves, spices.
Fortunately slowly, painfully it starts up around patchouli and cinnamon. As if we had built a house with brick facade and then we just pour concrete behind to hold them.
I do not see the point. But behind this crude assembling, aggressive and cacophonous, gradually come snuggle some touches of sweetness, vanilla, leathery and resinous, superimposed. It starts bad but it is really a good background.

The Financier
The Financier

Serge Noire is perfect and is full of magic! Love it!

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

I had purchased a bottle last summer, smelled it and promptly put it back on the shelf for winter. Noir smells just like a bowl of holiday potpourri when first sprayed, heavy on the cinnamon. It's strong enough to spark warm holiday memories and atmosphere, so its introduction is definitely for when you're in the mood and it fits the time of year.

I love the drydown which makes this a keeper and easily extends itself into the cooler seasons. I dabbed some on yesterday evening and this morning there is a fabulous drydown of ebony, amber, and the tiniest bit of incense as a skin scent. I'm enthusiastic to have SL's Noir as a welcome member in my fragrance rotation. The best parts of winter in a bottle, and beautifully done.

Edit: Combining SL's Noir with Van Cleef & Arpel's Midnight in Paris, with its soft leather note, knocks this fragrance out of the park.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Suuuuper spicy incense...a little too much clove for my chemistry. I like it, but not for me.

MissElizabeth
MissElizabeth

This scent, this perfume has the mystic of the Catholic church. Magic for sure but after two hours you want to leave church. This scent is good for short adventure or for Clair vouyant during practice. It is not feminine but only mystique in my opinion

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Sample from luckyscent. Clove, yes. Smokey, yes. Spices. Yup, but not the kind I care for really. Patchouli, cinnamon, and amber are missing in action here for me. I thought I liked it at first, but it quickly became a big no. There is some slight woodiness to it, but there is not enough to like here for me to buy a FB. If it had more amber and cinnamon, I might feel differently. Sample before buying blind! Oh, and I MUCH prefer Borneo 1834 to this. I do not feel there is a comparison between the two other than they wear the same S.L. label.
Edit: WOW, the dry down is awesome... I may need to put my sample in a sprayer and REALLY take this baby for a test drive. The heart is very familiar to me, and I can't put my finger on it. I take back what I said about the FB... while this would not be at the TOP of my list... it might sit somewhere in the middle. The amber has shown up in spades... but it is mixing with something else... a VERY fresh naturally sweetened wood scent... I wish I could vote: "way like", or "almost love"... its somewhere in the middle.

black_orchid
black_orchid

This perfume gives me the creeps.. Metallic smell of clove and ash. Top notes wonderful but the rest like a horror film..Spiritual walk in the dark forest!!!

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

Serge Noire is one of my favorite fragrances for colder days. It is very longlastinag and has good sillage.
The scent itself is perfect balance of masculine sweatness combined with pepper, cinammon and a touch of amber.

I love it. It's like you're wrapped in a soft and safe scarf that keeps you warm and sends a firm message to others. I am a man of good taste.

yohhco
yohhco

For me this smell is Zu-Koh which is incense powder apply your body when
you do Buddhism Sutras.
A Gothic Zu-koh without warmth and tolerance.
Reminds me funeral.
Funny but I like this very much.

Arodis
Arodis

I spray it into the hands before bedtime. It warms and comforts me as the man I loved would be if met. This fragrance is a living being.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Goes on with a faint licorice, damp vetiver combination to get spicy and heady/deep at about two hours. By five hours, it is a spicy, vaguely sweet vetiver that holds close to the skin. It’s laid back, almost secretive, and mysterious scent. However, the lack of projection is killing me. Most of the time I can't tell that I have it on! Applying a lot of it brings out the licorice and vetiver, but even that doesn't last. Sorry Serge Noir. If I want to wear nothing, I don't need to shell out big money to achieve that effect.

finanna
finanna

My review is based on using appr. 15 ml of EdP from an adopted bottle. I love the peppery-clove-incense opening of this scent, it reminds me of Comme des Garcons incense series, but by no means imitates them. SN is definitely spicier. I didn't get the rotting/formalin-embedded corpse effect someone mentioned earlier.

Sadly, these gorgeous top notes begin to fade away after one hour. The cloves remain, but the scent is very close to the skin in comparison to the fantastic opening. On my skin the drydown is sweet and spicy, with a hint of smoke. A bit reminiscent of Body Kouros, but unfortunately the scent is too subtle for my liking. This is definitely a warm scent, but not too suffocating for warm summer days.

I liked this a lot, loved the opening, but will not get a replacement bottle due to lack of sillage. Someone who prefers subtler spicy-smoky fragrances will likely find this very wearable and enjoyable. I think this is a great masculine scent that can easily be worn by women.

id
id

First of all, I'm not a big fan of incense scents but this one is so attractive. Love from the first sniff. Intense, dense, rich and oily fragrance. Very flexible, strong, with perfect longevity and with a feeling as it is like a velvet on my skin. Incense is here till the end, but it is combined with woods, spicies and an accord of maybe pine (or juniper?) a little bit after the begining. What it came into my head was the thought that in this fragrance I found a little bit of Fille en Aiguilles (the accord of pine), a feeling caused by Arabie, and coziness of Jeux de Peau. Very impressive scent. Thank you, Serge Lutens.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

Pure piece of work !
In my opinion, the difference between a good and a great composition may reside in its changing ability. A perfectly balanced fragrance that is monolithic and linear turn sometimes boring after a whole day of wearing (Gucci PH for ex.). The evolution of Serge Noire reveals a multi-faceted mix at each stage. Beyond the notes that are present here and are a matter of taste, the beautiful work of arranging all that stuff must be acknowledged.
I am a lucky man that both appreciate the notes and the construction of this perfume, which has been for me (just for a while) the end of my quest for the ultimate one. If you are a fan of incense and oriental frag but dislike everything that turns sweet on your skin, you should get a decant of this masterpiece.

Flavour : incense

Sultan
Sultan

I was very disappointed after I bought it. I felt strange, because Serge Noir was like antiparfum for me. I can't explain. but diring the cold winter and even now in the beginning of spring I just can't stop smelling it. I spray it every 2 hours when I'm in it. its like a narcotic. my mind becomes insane. it needs a doping every time. such a strange and bizzare fragrance. love me or leave me as Nina Simon used to sing. and I'm just loving it!

fanny
fanny

Perfection to a T ...
Sumptuous dark woods, light and fresh spices, gorgeous amber, velvety incense. I even get "innocent flowers": a contradiction in terms.
This is just the scent for me!

al.to
al.to

to me this scent smell like mulled wine (vin brulè)
plus incense and ash.
not for me

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

So far, it's the only nauseating fragrance that I've ever experienced. I couldn't get past the top notes, because it made me sick. It smelled like a rotten body in a pool full of chemicals.

girasolina
girasolina

I'm no expert and I come always with great respect to perfumes. I esteem and admire Lutens's creations but when he did I think that this scent have fallen by mistake too many cloves in its creation!

Serge Lutens SERGE NOIRE has a fascinating development trajectory. It starts out smelling very deep and woody and almost leathery. From there, the spices start revealing themselves and the composition becomes rather sharp as it continues to crescendo. Just when it starts to seem a bit hard to take, the whole thing dwindles to a light, near skin scent with very low levels of spice.

During the midstages of this perfume, I was actually thinking that it might be an excellent choice to don while pulling an all-nighter for a year-end exam. The sharp intensity would surely prevent anyone from drifting off!

All in all, I'd say that SERGE NOIRE offers yet another wild ride through the land of Serge. It's not just a perfume: it's an adventure!

Trvevil
Trvevil

Ashy. Well, probably more resinous-balmy too. From bottle it smelled so similar to FdB that I couldn't resist it. [cedar] At start it smelled very resinous and then sweetened up. Now it kind of reminds me of balm with a slight, unbothering hint of eucalyptus and honey. It's very friendly and not medicinal on me, rather soft and close to you. Very nice, but a bit shy. I expected more mean character. I wonder what the notes are.

just_sara
just_sara

Opening reminds me of NU YSL, after that the sandlewood is very very prominent. To me it smells mostly like sandlewood mixed with some other woody/spicy things. I dont like it. I think the ratio;s should have been improved. Strong parfume very deep and dark. Scary too. lol ;)

Being an incense freak, I approached Serge Noir expecting a mysterious and gothic concotion of resinous notes and dry woods but all I got was a strong camphoraceous vibe and cloves laying on harsh cedarwood. Incense is detectable in the heart but it's overwhelmed by an overpowering medicinal vibe. Cloves are definitely too prominent and while I'm usually addicted to cedarwood I find it somehow disturbing in this composition (I guess it's because of the cloves that enhances its harshness). And yes, it's like going to the dentist.

ian85
ian85

Sometime I love it! Sometime I hate it! No doubt it's one of the most difficult scents to wear... You'll have to tame it, and it takes time! The opening is very strong with camphre, and smells in a very medicinal way, almost repulsive! After a few minutes, it becomes more confortable and still enigmatic, whith an amber and woody touch in the end. Gothic like cathedrals and mystic...like someone attracted by shadow and light.

spoombung
spoombung

No, no no. Far too much cloves. This is like going to the dentist. Sorry, but I find this deeply unsexy and medicinal.

Mariame
Mariame

"Inspired by the legend of a phoenix that reborn from ashes of flame"

Warm spicy.Sweet and sensual.The Ashy scent that has depth and quality.Dark perfume- the Noir name of it ,yes, suitable.

sofiii
sofiii

Serge Noire is a wow to me, it is not that edgy personality-wise, but certainly it is one of a kind.
It starts really spicy, sweet and woody. It’s a really smooth well-blend oriental opening, and the feel from Serge Noire somewhat makes me think of many men’s perfumes made by Amourage, plus a bit essence from Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanilla without the significant tobacco or vanilla plus Costes’ milky spiciness.

About one hour later, Serge Noire goes warmer, less spicy, tarter, sweet woodier (something smells like cedar) and easier on my skin.

Wonderful as it is, unfortunately I find Serge Noire might suit a man (and ideally no younger than 25) much better and easier than to a woman, especially if you are under 25, in an environment in which girls use mostly celebrity floral fruity or floral gourmand nearly all the time, and by using Serge Noire, you might make yourself smell like an 100+ year old sophiscated professor, emotionally, to your friends.

arb368
arb368

Spice and… sweat. This is not a timid perfume, and the initial whiff had me bit concerned that this was going to bowl over into “unwearable” territory. Thirty seconds later and I had cinnamon. Not the sweet, gooey, sugar-laden confection that is a popular treat at the mall, but a deep, exotic spice for a more sophisticated palate. Is it cumin that smells of sweat? No shower-fresh scent, this. Ten minutes later and the clove settles in. I like the smell of clove, but on my skin it sometimes reminds me of a muscle rub. There is enough spice in this to keep it out of medicinal range, however. I’m enjoying the drydown and thinking that I would really love to smell this on a man.

Gator71
Gator71

The opening is a little alarming, and I can understand how people think this is unpleasant and sweaty, but it reminds me of cumin. But really that only lasts a short time. What takes over is somewhat gritty, grey, husky, and yes smokey. I can sort of pick out cinnamon but this is not a scent to pick apart, it just makes itself known as a whole. Kind of too powerful for me personally....not that it's incredibly strong in throw or sillage, just the mood or feel of it is very strong for me and I couldn't wear this all the time. But there's a time and a place for everything, as they say. I consider this sultry and rich but also gritty and dry at the same time.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Wow! As soon as I started to crack the vial, the sandalwood was out and about and the scent was swirling all around me even before I had the stopper all the way removed. Am I the only one who smells sandalwood in this? To me it’s the most prominent note, and it’s an excellent sandalwood, the kind that seems alive with an almost sweaty feeling, and it’s accompanied by lots of cinnamon and cloves. The amount of clove is unusual, since it’s not often used heavily in perfumes, probably because it seems to be a love-it-or-hate it note. There’s also a little bit of a musty dry note in SN, and maybe a tiny tendril of incense here and there. To me, it’s a luxurious mix of wood and spices. As it dries down the incense becomes more prominent, but the sandalwood is always there.

To me this is not in any way sinister, gothic, or mysterious. I think the fact that the notes are not listed allows people to project whatever they want onto the fragrance, and the word “noire” together with Serge’s purple prose doesn’t help. I see it as a perfume that evokes the image of warm spice caravans rather than cold vampire crypts. In the middle of the drydown there is an interesting “ashy” note that I think could be associated with SL’s original phoenix imagery in which the bird burns itself in a spicy fire, to reappear again in the form of incense. I’ll go with that. The bottom line is that I love this perfume, and will use up my sample as I contemplate the need for a decant.

Marangoni
Marangoni

This is a rare perfume. I knew I could not leave the store without it. Totally wearable, excentric, requires a dramatic amount of confidence, it definitely is a different statement. I can't say it's seductive, it's more...intriguing, very intriguing. At one point it made me think of those smoky scotch single malts, aged and expensive...thinking of Laphroaig...old wet wood and smoke in a deep forgotten basement...wind outside...and all the promises of the World ahead of me. Love it!

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

Enchantingly dangerous, untamed-sexy, hypnotic and darkly disorienting---ahh, so this is what it feels like to be wooed by Heathcliff on the windy moor or a beautiful vampire in the shadows--maybe "Dorian Gray" in a steamy boudoir! Upon opening, "Serge Noir" bursts into something like an old-school camphor rub--think "Tiger Balm" or some other herbal skin rub, but not something particularily medicinal in the way newer anaglesiac rubs are--it smells like a very elegant camphor; this is a young gentleman's herb-steeped oil-rub, something to invigorate the body before a romping exercise of some kind (we'll say "fencing" or "boxing" or "wrestling", for all intents and purposes, here). The camphor deepens into an ebony-woody sweetness, touched with a hint of rosemary, smoky clove, dried sage and darkly velvety-sweet, scraped cinnamon stick. The ebony becomes very polished, contrasted against untreated wood, evoking a grand piano inside and out. Then, any moisture dries into something salty and sweetly windswept, evoking frayed, dandied frock coats of the 1800's; beautiful men standing on the decks of ships in their weather-worn overcoats and leather boots. I'm a young woman and if a man ever approached me wearing this, I'd struggle against myself not to conume the air in his personal space, making every effort to trace my nose along his neck and infuse his scent into my fantasies. Women can pull this off, just for the experience of evoking the late days of autumn; however, "Serge Noir"--like some magical potion made to transform when touched to male skin--develops differently on guys; it's leathery-sweet, smoky and intense, with charming masculinity at its core, reminding ladies of why some men will always be romantically successful, despite our best intentions. A very foxy, spellbinding scent by SL.

memechose
memechose

Serge Lutens deliver a unique fragrance.( love the name which is a double entendre; serge noire is also the translation for a black cloth used in uniforms in France).

At first, Serge Noire seems slightly familiar, as if it was a cross between Bvlgari Black and Gris Clair. On me, the smell of rubber opens the scent, before anise and cinnamon take over. I detect patchouli and camphor. But there is an odd sweetness that counters the more earthy and astringent notes, an unusual blend of vanillin and spice notes, benzoin and styrax on my skin.

The company lists the top notes as “Ethereal Notes”, (I have no idea what they are) and the heart notes are Patchouli, Camphor, Cinnamon and Spices, with base notes of Woody Notes and Amber.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts; Serge Noire distinguishes itself with an unusual drydown. There is this Chet Baker quality…

Not too oriental, nor too spicy-dark (this is a bit of a relief). It fades in and out, this melancholy---alternating with something hopeful and promising. It’s enigmatic. I believe you will debate back and forth, “Do I NEED Serge Noire? “and I bet that you will find it too tempting to resist.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Oh. My. God.

Can someone tell me, what happens at night at Castle Lutens in Gothylvania? When the moon shines bright over the mountains, and a far off she-wolf howls in the snow, the Master rises from his crypt, feeds the vampires, translates his oldest copy of the Necronomicon into latin...then goes and settles in his favourite leather (I hope it's leather; some kind of hide at any rate) armchair, waiting for me to arrive while he drinks the darkest claret. When I get there, his favourite niece asking her wicked uncle a favour, he'll give me excellent advice, especially if it's about corrupting cardinals or sewing cadavers together to create life. And all the time, he's wearing Serge Noire!

Lutens as always challenges me, makes me think and dream. I love this incredible incense-laden camphor/clove combo, thick and dark and (to my mind) incredibly masculine. I have not dared it on my skin yet, because I am a little woman and this perfume is in danger of entering a room streets before I do! I tested it on a piece of paper which I then put in my jacket pocket. The smell permeated pocket, jacket, and me for hours like old school medicine. It's lovely. Now all I have to do is convince the men in my life to try it. Someone somewhere must be able to wear this gloriously gothic creation!

PR
PR

it smelled to me of the contryside's damp ground and soil, some campfire near and strange grass mixed with herbs. Warm-ish softness with dampness and something spicy/herbal trying to sneak out from the underneath.
Can't say if I'm getting it wrong, but it reminds me of some L'Occitane en Provence's gents' perfume, eau de Vetiver, perhaps.
I don't know where I would wear it,actually I do prefer not to wear this anywhere, but those who like it shouldn't be getting short of ideas, because this is an unobtrusive fragrance and if you like it near your skin, why not

Just thought of the word that it triggered and it was 'lurking'

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Serge Noire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Serge Noire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Serge Noire by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Serge Noire by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.