Designers » R S » Floral « Groups

Tubereuse Criminelle Serge Lutens for women and men

Tubereuse Criminelle Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

tuberose
Tubereuse Criminelle Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Tubereuse Criminelle Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens is a Floral fragrance for women and men. Tubereuse Criminelle was launched in 1999. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features jasmine, orange blossom, hyacinth, tuberose, nutmeg, clove, styrax, musk and vanilla.

Jasmine Orange Blossom Hyacinth Tuberose Nutmeg Clove Styrax Musk Vanilla

Tubereuse Criminelle Fragrance Reviews

TexasNoelle
TexasNoelle

Oh my what a fragrance! The opening smells exactly like wintergreen chewing gum, no vapor rub or gasoline for me luckily, with the spices underneath. I like it. After a few minutes, the heavenly tuberose develops when the wintergreen takes a back seat, adding its character to the floral. There are cloves and nutmeg. Taking a sniff of a jar of cloves, there's a floral quality in the cloves that seems to be echoed in this fragrance. This isn't like any other tuberose scent I've tried so far, it's lush and spicy, while not being overpowering. I've not had a chance yet to smell a real tuberose and so can't compare it, but certainly will if the opportunity arises. The sillage is moderate for me, with a good longevity of 6-8 hours. It works really well in warm weather, though I can see wearing this year round.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

Begins with a blast of camphor and then turns in a beautiful tuberose. It's a love or hate but it will lead you through a fascinating evolution until the very end.
Beautiful work with a free bias, a true designing that doesn't aim at pleasing the crowds.

This fragrance defines what the real perfumery should always be : ART.

Astonishing creation.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

Lovely animalic tuberose ( and jasmine) ...musky creamy bitter-sweet and slightly aromatic at start..Not at all criminal, medicinal, or heavy at first or later on. Easy to love nice floral. Wished it was stronger and more lasting, I finished already my solid tester, and it's one I'd love to re-try ..Yes, I can have tuberose these days, what a good surprise !! !

Marco<3
Marco<3

Una pozione magica.
Cupo, estremo, strano, conturbante...ti ammalia.
Incantevolmente stupendo, dopo l'inizio sfacciatamente stregato, colpisce il cuore.

TAP
TAP

Fascinatingly camphorous, earthy and rubbery tuberose that develops slowly from fresh, spicy and medicinal sharpness to voluptious and creamy white floral; a long lasting, challenging and intriguing perfume for the bravehearted :)

csaito
csaito

Starts with something like Vick Vaporub and after a couple of minutes it transforms itself in a gorgeous white flower bouquet in which the tuberose prevails. Very soft and elegant.
A must try for those who likes this flower.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this starts off with tuberose, with something else, but i didn't know what, so after looking at another website which lists different notes, i'm realizing it's mint! it gets a bit bubblegummy after a couple minutes too. right off i get tuberose, hyacinth, orange blossom and the wintergreen. this is kind of strange, yet it works. i happen to love tuberose and the one in this is quite nice, though not as thick and heady as i tend to enjoy, it's kind of right in the middle, i'd say. after awhile i get something more animalic. the serge lutens website mentions civet, but none of the other websites do. i wonder if that's what it is, because it definitely smells kind of animalic underlying the tuberose. that stage doesn't last long though and it ends up being a clean tuberose with hints of jasmine.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Initially pretty sharp - not sweet at all - with an antiseptic note from the menthol and clove. Gasoline. Sweetens just a tad during the drydown with the faint burnt smell of a cigarette (the leather?) but it doesn't warm up. I don't know where the vanilla or spices are. The hyacinth comes to the fore; a glassy, watery floral with a hint of something ugly beneath. This is a complex and very unisex tuberose. A really interesting fragrance, borderline unpleasant, especially during the initial phase, but an unusual experience I'm glad to have had. Definitely a modern fragrance in the sense of modernist - Merce Cunningham's choreography, or Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain" - a cold, abstract, challenging modernism that asks you to question your view of the world.

Marissaluvsscents
Marissaluvsscents

I love it. The menthol blast is fine. It lasts like 5 minutes. I feel like I've learned perfumes are really about the dry-down anyway (some are SO good at first spray and then turn terrible!) so, this is the opposite. But I actually like the opening too, smells like icy hot or if you're familiar with Doterra oils, Deep Blue (muscle rub) which I love the smell of. The flower is there too in the beginning and takes over leaving just a trace of that coolness. It smells very Beautiful and actually remind me of the perfume Beautiful. Not that it smells like it but almost a modern day version of a perfume that is very womanly, perfume/ey and, BEAUTIFUL.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

One of the most unique scents I've ever smelled. This Sheldrake's creation is intrepid and revolutionary and it would not fit everybody's taste. In requires an open mind, it is definitely an acquired taste reserved for real tuberose lovers.

Once the demanding styrax opening you'll receive a marvellous tuberose, fresh deep and spicy.

Sillage and longevity are good.

ladykarl
ladykarl

I am baffled by the recent serge in negative comments on here in regards to other reviewers opinions -with the reviewers placing the value of their experience above another.
The point of a review is to hopefully show as many sides and opinion as possible(not to judge each other) -
Offering a full spectrum of thoughts, experiences and ideas to, well, review.
It may be that not all sides of the comments are full fleshed, but I 100% think in no way should that mean we should belittle another's voice. Absolutely senseless.
And a trend I truly hope will end soon.
I recall a review on one of my favorite perfumes saying 'it smells like red hots and farts' and it made me laugh so hard, and I could totally see that- and it in no way makes me like the smell any less, and thinking that person or any person anywhere who does not share the same opinions, taste or experience as my own to be less advanced than me would be a pity for my own brain to imagine.

Tubereuse criminalle is definitely a different take on the flower/ concept
I had read that it had a menthol type of twist on the top, so when I put it on I was in no surprise there.
But I didn't really feel like I was getting the tuberose as strong as say, jasmine and leaf and I looked at the notes trying to wonder what was going on - what was that 'green ' scent that seemed so central- and then I saw the hyacinth listed in the notes- which has an astringent quality - and though I might not have guessed that myself -I was swayed to notice the Jasmine and hyacinth intertwined creating something like a fence
There is definitely some tuberose going on here-
I just smell it, along with orange blossom, kind of in the back. As if a overgrown garden is hiding the secret.
Ultimately it didn't quite 'wow' me as it dries down soft and soapy on my skin

Adina Galani
Adina Galani

For all out there crytisizing this one, I can understand You well. With all the mainstream out there, no wonder the real perfume seems a bit out of place for You all. It is ok. The right woman to wear it, o yes, I proudly am and I think this one has been created mostly for me and a few out there able to proudly wear it. This is a masterpiece, either one loves it or hates it, it is like a piece of art too abstract to be fully understood by everyone, to beautiful to be afforded by all skyn types and too marvelous to be compared to anything around. Heard it is discontinued, hope not, and if, then it looks it is time to stuck up!
This is such a realistic tuberose it took my breath away. Wondering if I am the only one sensing in the middle notes just a teeny tiny bit of iris?

lilalina
lilalina

I didn't liked this - Very strong and thick oily medicinal tuberose.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

I get tuberose and mint, like brushing your teeth in a flower garden. Tuberose criminelle? Nah, tuberose dentelle

massimilianoinquieto

Tubereuse criminelle è ispirato alla figura di Caterina De Medici, una strega, avvelenatrice, misteriosa e crudele.
Il profumo riesce pienamente a evocare quella figura di strega, i filtri magici, l'atmosfera dell'epoca, il potere inquietante, e poi il cuore confortante come di un olio aromatico fatto per curare.
E poco importa se alla gente sembra strano come si apre il profumo, quello che conta è l'essere riuscito a creare un'epoca e una figura di donna inquietante con questo profumo.
Che è uno dei miei preferiti.

Maeldron
Maeldron

I love the opening. If it is a bubble gum, it’s one on steroids, otherwise we all would have had decent childhoods.

I love the rest of it too.

For many years, I have been looking for the right woman who can wear Tubereuse Criminelle. I have been planning to buy it for her. Then I’ve become enlightened and I’ve bought it for myself.

It’s our first day and we are in ever lasting love.

Tubereuse Criminelle is not the perfume I’d spray on myself for others. Neither is it one that I’d spray on myself at home or in small amount, only for my own pleasure. It’s the one I spray on myself and I don’t care anymore about the humans.

The flower is natural. The composition is unearthly. It’s a psychedelic drug.

If I would be allowed to wear only one perfume in the rest of my life, that one would be Tubereuse Criminelle, Muscs Koublai Khan, Ambre Russe, Ambre Sultan and Musc Tonkin.

It’s not for those who follow stupid rules.

Basteth
Basteth

There's a bubble gumman in Sweden called Jenka (I'm sure it's sold in other countries as well but I havent really bought much candy on my vacations) and the opening smells just like that. After about 20 minutes the dry down still smells of gum but with quite a bit of dirt mixed in to it. A dirty bubble gum. How about that. Sweet, but not to sweet and still rouge around the edges. If the smell didn't remind me so much of that gum I think I'd quite like it, but now I'm glad I just got a small decant bottle.

Calygow
Calygow

Le Lutens le plus couillu sans aucun doute.

Du caoutchouc brûlé, des notes médicinales, camphrées, rafraîchies d'un souffle mentholé en guise d'ouverture...sur fond de tubéreuse.

Lutens a fait de cette tubéreuse une curiosité sublime, en exagérant ses facettes les plus insupportables.

Grace à une évolution très contrastée, la tubéreuse passe de criminelle à sensuelle. Lactée, crémeuse, légèrement solaire, elle montre un tout autre visage.

L'une des plus belles tubéreuses, avec des notes de tête qui en décourageront plus d'un!

Bonne tenue et bon sillage, très perceptible, il est changeant (plein de gens ne reconnaissent pas le départ et la fin du parfum , comme si l'on portait deux parfums en un...).

globus pallidus
globus pallidus

Wow, what a ride. Starting with a spoonful of syrupy medicine which I find amazing, and not merely from an artistic viewpoint, this very smooth criminal developes into a lovely, dark white floral faintly reminding me of Illamasqua's Freak (...but better). I cannot help but think of an adjective for the person I see wearing this. Mature. Not as in "old", but very, very adult. Knowing who they are and what they want.
If you consider wearing Tubereuse Criminelle as a man, answer the following question: could you be cast as a campy supervillain in a movie? If yes, you can, and you really should wear it.

fostermd
fostermd

First of all I contacted Serge Lutens directly was informed that this, like ALL of their perfumes is a SHARED perfume. I am a big tuberose enthusiast and have grown the flower in my garden for many years and have tried most every tuberose perfume out there looking for the one that best represented the living flower on a warm humid summer's evening when the fragrance is at it's most intense and after the dry down this is it. All I can say to those of you who criticize it for its wintergreen and camphor facets are obviously completely unfamiliar with the fragrance of living tuberose flowers as they have a definite camphor and salicylate character to the sweet creamy white floral fragrance they give off. When first sprayed on the skin there is something that some have described as being like gasoline. I don't smell it as anything offensive like gasoline but something pleasant but it does sort of put a figurative veil over the tuberose so that at first smell you smell the tuberose but it is blurred and hidden behind this opening and then as the the first 10-15 minutes pass this veil slowly drifts away and the richest, creamiest, sweetest most boldly profound tuberose remains clear and strong. Although notes of vanilla, strax, hyacinth, musk, orange blossom, clove, and jasmine are there they are so well blended their own voices serve only to strengthen that of the tuberose which projects with very good sillage for many hours. This is by far my favorite tuberose perfume out there and it is true to the natural flower and not exaggeratedly sweet so it is perfect for us men who are sophisticated enough to pull off the florals. Just another Christopher Sheldrake masterpiece brought to us be Serge Lutens.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This was one that sent me scampering to find a bottle to buy at first sniff. I loved the camphor blast at the beginning and the way it settled into the most realistic, fleshy, almost rubbery tuberose with just a hint of spices. Then there was panic at discovering that it had been discontinued, horror at the prices on ebay and finally relief at locating a reasonably priced decant. After all this drama, I realized the scent itself was no longer doing it for me, never having evolved beyond that photorealistic tuberose. It faded away rather than morphing into a compelling dry down and left me feeling incomplete.
The search for the perfect Lutens continues.

MaevenRose
MaevenRose

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I received my sample of this beauty.
To my nose and on my skin, it goes on loud, woody, spicy and warm.
It then quietens down to a more gentler wood rose and spice accents.
It doesn't last too long on my skin though, maybe I need to layer it over itself a bit?
It works with me so I am hunting down a bottle.
A problem living so far away from Europe means this is going to be quite difficult.

daithi
daithi

The opening is brutal and strangely addictive: an overdose of menthyl salicylate than creates a shocking accord of camphor, musty notes and antiseptic mouthwash. Despite the initial agressiveness, the fragrance transforms quickly in a soft, velvety and hyperrealistic tuberose and after two hours, becomes close to skin.

Tubereuse Crimelle is a poisoned take on flowers, a revolutionary work of art and probably the best tuberose available today along with the monstruous F. Malle's Carnal Flower.

DessyBo
DessyBo

It it criminally addictive. Certainly an aqcquired taste but then once you get past the shock of the extremely unusual opening, you can only admire and crave it. I absolutely love it, it is one of my favourites. So sad one can only buy it in Paris now....

la_clope
la_clope

It's in my top 3 Lutens, Tubéreuse Criminelle is a piece of art, I don't say that often to a perfume. minty coolness contrasts with buttery tuberose, it's a pure sensory pleasure. And what a great name! fits the perfume. Fascinating work of art in its ugly-beautifulness.

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

yes the opening is hardcore, criminal and nasty, and thats awesome! Few perfumes dare to shock nowadays and tubereuse criminelle is shocking. It's menthol/ mothball/gazoline opening is followed by the sexy beast that is the tuberose. Very gorgeous rendering of this statement flower, which becomes more and more glamorous, calm but always animalistic, so great work!

scent: 8+/10
longevity: 6/10
sillage: 7/10

morkant
morkant

Freezing menthol on a thick creamy a base of musky sweet rubber like an amazing reimagining of a `fresh and clean` mens sport fragrance... I "see" pearly white, minty green and.... dark cherry red.

More MEN need to try this out! I wear it out often and have had nothing but positive comments. If this is a womanly white floral, then Dior Homme is a grandmotherly powdery iris.
That said, if you're worrying and fretting `Will girls like this??` or `Will guys like this??` I don't think Tubereuse Criminelle is for you.

A very modern classic in my opinion. Sarcastic, sexy and a little mean.

suzrwin
suzrwin

You go to the art gallery, becaus you love art, and you run across an objet d'art that is repulsive. Yet the longer you study it, the more fascinated you become. It IS interesting, but thank God you don't have to have a thing like that in your house. You go home.

You can't stop thinking about that art. It is calling you back, come see me, come see me. So you stop by after work for a little visit. You go home,

Day after day, and so it continues. Suddenly, that repulsive little piece of art seems beautiful and intriguing. You must have it. So you scrape together massive amounts of cash to get the thing, and bring it home to display proudly in your living room.

Your friends visit, and wonder why you have that repulsive piece of art in your living room. Yet, they can't help but be fascinated,,,,

Such is Tubereuse Criminelle. At once repulsive and fascinating. It makes you wonder just what it is they put into that little bottle.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

the opening of this is just so intense, it felt like being punched in the nose with a handful of cloves, in fact overwhelmingly in the beginning all I could think of was Euthymol toothpaste, on steroids. The scent in my nose I would perhaps achieve if I squeezed a whole tube of Euthymol into my mouth and some cloves up my nose, burned some olbas oil in the bacground and then smashed my head into an old wooden school desk.

Therefore it is with some surprise that I say, I like this. Once that pungent overpowering opening settles after 5-10 minutes, I am left with a beautiful white floral, I get tuberose, obviously, but also an awful lot of orange blossom supported by a clean non indolic jasmine. And it is gorgeous!The tuberose + orange blossom accord reminds me of Do Son initially but this is bigger, brighter, cleaner and more beautiful, and that is from a fan of Do Son. The white florals are very clean and non indolic on me, and remind me of Fleurs D'Oranger quite a lot, but with the cumin switched for tuberose!

The supporting notes make themselves known less by being dominant themselves but more for how they influence the florals, adding a touch of intrigue and the necessary depth to anchor those white flowers to prevent them becoming a huge white sail and billowing away. This works really well, I really like this. Sillage is huge and longevity is good. Just don't spray it on right before you need to go out, unless you want to knock everyone out with Euthymol and clove!

Wooo... this is quite something! I never understood why Guerlain called his Gardenia Cruel, but I can see why oncle Serge called his Tubereuse Criminelle!
Again from him we have an overdone perfume: too many notes or too much of all of them. He cannot do it simple. This tuberose upon initial spary smells strongly of what I would call camphor (or fresh mothballs if pessimistic). I must have a problem lately because I smell mothballs in many scents. Anyway the camphorated smell may come from a different ingredient that I have no knowledge about (styrax?). It lasts a good while and very strong... nonetheless the clawed flower of tuberose makes it entrance soon after the "camphor" made its own, so they cohesist. More or less like Carnal Flower with eucalyptus. You smell both of them. The whole scent starts to mellow and find peace only after 30 minutes and I smell cloves and nutmeg.
This is a grand scent if you don't mind the overdone SL's effect. It's strong but its beauty is the blend not the concentration. It lasts ages on me. Not for me now, but a scent that needs to be tried.

sycomore85
sycomore85

Smells Pretty like Chinese Medicine shop at the begining. Same like with other SL fragrances, this fragrance needs time to develop.

llburris
llburris

Oh boy....I thought I had made a very terrible blind buy once I sprayed this on the back of my hand. BAM!!! Root beer.....very, very, VERY strong root beer with some menthol thrown in for good measure. Not one peak of my loved tuberose. However, after about a half hour/45 minutes, the tuberose came and said hello. Smelled really nice but I could still detect the root beer and menthol slightly in the background. I have to try it a couple more times to see if opinion changes. I have loved all the scents I've purchased from Serge Lutens and was so very hopeful. I hope I change my mind to love it more :o) obviously I would suggest no one blind buy a full bottle. VERY unique fragrance.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

Not for me. I don't like this scent very much, but I think it might be very possible that I simply don't like tuberose. Really rubbery with that antiseptic/Vicks Vapor rub feel, as others are saying. Kind of reminds me of Delices De Cartier in that aspect.. both have a cool mentholy undertone. Unfortunately, that was one of the reasons I disliked that perfume too.

To me, this is one that smells way better as the top notes fade away and the harsh opening ends. It becomes warmer and richer smelling as it moves away from the rubbery-ness/antiseptic-ness of the opening. Retains the coolness, but definitely warms up a bit. I like it a lot better about an hour in when it has become a skin scent. Maybe this is one to not apply too much of, or it just becomes sickening.

I don't know.. this one is just hard for me. I may come back to it later and update if I can get over my dislike for tuberose :) I have a feeling this probably smells beautiful on the right person.

edit- tested again a year later, still hate. Smells like medicine & mothballs.

little elf
little elf

It's interesting how differently Tubereuse Criminelle reacts to different skin chemistry. Or, to be more specific, how much the amounts of styrax and cloves vary. I wonder if the intention was for this fragrance to be very styrax heavy, or for it to be mainly tuberose with styrax that quickly subsides to the background after the initial blast. On me, it's tuberose, tuberose, and more tuberose. I only really smell the styrax when I first spray it, after 5 minutes or so, it is hardly detectable to me, but gives some depth. The cloves stay in the background as well, but are more present than the styrax, and add a tiny bit of spice and a lot of warmth (which is a really interesting contrast to the icy feel that the styrax gives). Aside from that, it is all TUBEROSE. Gorgeous, heady, tropical tuberose and not much else as far as flowers go. And it gets warmer and more tuberose-y the longer it is on my skin. Jasmine, hyacinth, orange blossom? Maybe they are there, somewhere, but all I really smell is a glorious tuberose with soft spices mingling about. There is much disagreement in the wearability of this stuff, but I personally find it much easier to wear than most tuberose perfumes. It's a bomb, but a subtle one, if that makes sense.

ETA: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I may have found my tuberose "unicorn". I still love my other tuberose perfumes but... they don't hold a candle to this.

diamondsr4ever
diamondsr4ever

Ah, TC. Never before have I been hit in the face with the smell of TCP from a perfume before! I was so shocked I kept shoving my hand under my hubby's nose asking him if he could smell anything else.
Well, I did but not before I had suffered about 5 minutes of an antiseptic solution.
It transformed itself on my skin..eventually. Too late, for it never quite lost its initial antiseptic skirmish with my chemistry.
The tuberose is there but not enough to warrant putting it on my love list.

Cams
Cams

I have about 5 SL fragrances which officially makes me a fan of this magnificent niche line. I had read reviews of TC many times and lovers and haters were equally divided, which meant a blind buy was out of the question.

I went to Sephora and had a sniff (on paper) and the mentholated waft was perplexing so I got a myself a tester and quickly discovered that the mentholated start was the precursor to perfection and was a small price to pay; tuberose is a strong and hefty white flower that must be handled with delicacy and skill.

This fragrance manifests that - perfection.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This made me smile. It's Vicks vapour rub with tuberose and I love it. It smells much much better on skin than on paper so don't judge it on paper alone. Actually don't judge it at all on the opening. The opening is a little testy for those who are not forewarned, like I said it smells like Vicks or menthol(cloves, nutmeg and mint with some sweetness). The tuberose shows up when the opening notes calm down and they all get along very well together! I would never have thought of mixing a narcotic white flower with mint but hats off to Serge Lutens once again for another quirky and lovable twist on a familiar theme. Sillage is about an arm's length on me and the scent stayed with me throughout my day, sending up lovely wafts every now and then as I moved around. My jaded nose really loves wearing this and I'm happy to own a bottle of this interesting minx.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

What the hell just happened to my wrist? I love tuberose, but this is the damnedest tuberose evolution ever.

When I first put it on my wrist I smelled, overwhelmingly, licorice. Blammo, licorice, literally tongue-numbing. One of the things I like about black licorice is the mild anesthetic tingle it gives you at the back of your tongue, but this was a lot to swallow.

It took a long time for any of the sweet creamy tuberose I favor to come out-an hour, maybe. In the meantime, I got menthol/camphor/rubber/soap. All the things tuberose threatens but seldom, to me at least, actually does.

Eventually it smelled a little like white flower NOS, and very faintly reminiscently of Fracas, but by then I was exhausted and too weak to move.

I don't think I'll be putting myself through this again.

CitrusHead
CitrusHead

This is a strange fragrance. It starts off with a strong Bengay/ointment smell that isn't really bad but just really weird. I do not want to smell like that. Luckily, it goes away within 5 minutes or so on my skin. Then, it's just a really interesting camphorous tuberose. Kind of creamy but also spicy/menthol. It took at least 4 times wearing this to decide if I like it or not. I do like it but I don't love it. It does not last long on my skin - maybe 3 hours. I have to be in a certain mood to wear this & I like it best in winter. Probably because of that menthol effect.

The first time I wore it, my husband asked me if I had hurt myself because he smelled Bengay. That's not really the impression I like to put out there - Ha! I would not blind buy this fragrance.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

In the bottle, it smelled carnal, offensive and almost cinnamon-like. Out of the bottle, it is a spicier, warmer treatment of tuberose that almost makes me think Michael Kors Michael and YSL Opium had a love child. I would be all over that. As it dries down, it smells like a less opulent version of Organza.

Tuberose is one of my favourite notes and sometimes I wonder if I love it so much because all of the memorable and slightly unique treatments of it. Michael Kors Michael. Private Collection Tuberose and Gardenia. Givenchy Organza. They really aren't all that different (except for the latter, in my opinion).

I just love tuberose. It's a beautiful, sensitive, multi-faceted floral. I never tire of smelling it.

This one is worth trying on your skin and potentially the best--at least one of the best SL--I've tried yet. Definitely beats the sultry Ambre Sultan and the oversweet but edgy Un Bois Vanille.

ian85
ian85

Amazing fragrance. I love it, like a cry in an early morning! A medicinal and mentholated cry, a frozen wound on the skin... This cry will soften itself in a conforting,addictive and distinctive scent. When the crowd will wear boring fragrances, this Tuberose will carry you far away, in a white and clean paradise, after the original crime...Totally unisex. Masterpiece. 10 / 10

hanson26
hanson26

WOAH. I hate to get all melodramatic, but as soon as I opened my sample vial, I really was reminded of something, and it was like I finally found "the one". Well, one of "the ones". I have quite a few, I'm not exactly faithful to any one perfume, and I don't think I ever will be. Still, I feel like I've been looking for this perfume my whole life. I don't know exactly what it reminds me of, but definitely something good. The funny thing is, I've actually put off sampling this for ages. It always looked very interesting, but I figured this was one I'd just smell for the experience but wouldn't actually love, or find wearable. Wrong, wrong, wrong. A La Nuit is a perfume I love, but can't wear. Not this. I could douse myself in this. Anyway, after a year (yes, seriously) of sampling other stuff, I finally decided to try this. I don't know what took me so long, but I realized that I actually really do love dissonant tuberose. I love the eucalyptus in Carnal Flower, I love how loud and screechy Fracas is. Safe, straightforward tuberose? Not my thing. So I figured I'd probably really like camphorous tuberose, AND I DO!! I even love it a lot more than I expected. I love the opening, even if it reminds me of toothpaste and root beer, but 10 minutes in after the really medicinal notes fade, it become downright intoxicating. Think rich, boozy, heady tuberose, with lush jasmine and orange flower in the background. This is also incredibly sexy, something I don't think floral fragrances usually are. If you like the rich, creamy, boozy jasmine in some of the Alien flankers, such as Essence Absolue, you should give this a try. I'm ordering a bottle right now, I don't care, I NEED this.

meganinstmaxime
meganinstmaxime

Currently I have a bad cold and need perfumes that are strong and will cut through my sinus challenges. A few have been up for the challenge: Ambre Sultan, Lust, Seville A L'Aube and this beauty. In a way this perfume is a victim of its own hype and you may actually be surprised that the opening is not as camphorous as you may expect. I did find the opening rather menthol like at first but now find that I'm craving the opening as it is so different to most other scents. It does shift to a green like tuberose that is still potent and then turns to a more creamy white floral. I find in its latter stages that it is quite similar to Fleur d'Oranger. Although when I say creamy I don't mean in the same style of Fracas which feels a lot sweeter to me. This holds a creamy bitterness at its heart. I'm more drawn to this as time goes by I think it's brilliant and a must try. It has a strange beckoning hold and is intriguing - perfectly named.

Srebecca
Srebecca

I'm under 25 and this is a bit old for me. Opening notes are full of menthol and smell a little like a really nice dentist's office. dry down notes are a little warmer but still strong menthol.

[email protected]
nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com

I am a guy who is obsessed with perfumes, this perfume is marked a Feminine perfume, but don't be fooled by that! You can still wear if you are a guy.

But beware of one thing, this is a strong "Eau de Parfum", you will be annoyed by the smell at the very beginning, but once it cools down and settles on your skin ( 10-20 min.), you will enjoy the amazing smell of Tuberose. It is long lasting with a moderate to heavy sillage. It is a little expensive though but it is totally worth it. :)

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

I read somewhere that TC isn't a masterpiece, TC is performance art...
and I relate to that

Tapinview

I am looking at previous reviews and pondering on the fact that my bell
jar is at least 5 years old, amd my decant six or.seven ...oh no surely it cannot be,that horribly disfigured ...

Tapinview

Oh well I remember the early days of falling down the rabbit hole of fragrance obsession! Whaaa there are OTHER people who see the world thru smell??? What is this cultish obsession about the Criminy?? Oh off to perfume court...crash and burn... Instantly into vivid memories of athletic tracks, our skinny young butts on the ground at the Sydney track...the sting of lime on the grass marking the lanes, the whiff of salicylate rubbing our legs and and always cold windy winter days.

To cut a long story short this masterpiece is a masterpiece, indespensible, sublimely beautiful, haunting, it is like trying and winning, my second greatest love after Mitsouko...

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

EDIT: A year later and I am in love with it. After sampling so many tuberose scents around this really remains a special one along with Carnal Flower maybe even better than CF. That plasticky feeling I always had in the past has gone and this has become my go-to elegant scent.

Can't say I was surprised by the opening as I read (like almost everybody) about it before. But the rest of it was a letdown for me. Somehow this tuberose never melts into my skin, it sits there plasticky (not as in Chinese plastic toy or play-doh, plasticky as in unnatural) Maybe the perfect example of how boldly dramatic Lutens' creations are. And by dramatic I mean sometimes unsuccessful. I understand his whole aesthetics of bringing together incompatible things and creating new and unthinkable fragrances but I think this is sort of missing basic quality. I'll give it a couple of chances again in future though.

amyewest
amyewest

At first I thought this was an elaborate prank. It smells exactly like a Certs for the first half hour or so. Couldn't keep it on long enough at first. Finally managed to stick it out after several tries and I'm so glad. After the ridiculous start, it turns into a gorgeous tuberose. It's like the floral equivalent of heavy cream. Styrax is one of my favorite scents so having that in the dry down is a bonus. A treat occasionally, but too heavy for daily wear.

fuggerone
fuggerone

Highly saturated pharmaceutical notes, sillage thick as a brick.
I find it really masculine with a real weird edge....

brickbishop
brickbishop

I think I love Tuberose perfumes the most, and with my enormous New Orleans French nose I feel each of the major players brings something special to the table. Instead of getting into their specific notes, dry-down and sillage, I will assign them Disney Characters.
Just go with it. lol
Carnal Flower: Snow White.
Fracas: Princess Aurora.
Tubéreuse Criminelle: Malificent (!)
Tuberose Diabolique: Princess Tiana
TokyoMilk Dark- La Vie La Mort No. 90: Princess Fa Mulan.
Trust me on this.

Allinug
Allinug

I don't like floral perfumes, I don't like white flowers but when I smelled Hotel Hassler Roma Amorvero that smells a lot of white flowers (tuberose and jasmine) I was hooked. Now it's the same with this one. I agree that it's a strange perfume but it's so beautiful in some way and I'm kind of hooked again. It's not love but it's really like.

Tuberose,jasmine and something thick and dark in the background.

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Wonderfull, strange, Truly a masterpiece.

"The Ugly Duckling" a fairy tale by Danish poet and author Hans Christian Andersen (1805 – 1875). The story tells of a homely little (petrolium, styrax) bird born in a (harsh in your face smelling) barnyard who suffers abuse from the others around him until, much to his delight (and to the surprise of others), he matures into a beautiful (Jasmin, tuberose, musk, vanilla and freshness from cloves) swan, the most beautiful bird of all. (From wikipedia)

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

I would always smell this from the bottle at my local indie fragrance boutique, and I would crinkle my nose at the odd, sweet candy-cigarette smell...it was like a sweet, powdery, chalky sort of scent that I just couldn't fathom paying so much money for.

But I decided to get a sample, since I'm looking for a non-fruity tuberose fragrance. Preferably one with NO gardenia, because I'm sick of the two flowers being used together, since you can't appreciate the both of them.

I put this on my skin...and....WOW.

Heavy, bursting tuberose...spicy, thanks to cloves...but musty, thanks to the styrax and jasmine.

It's very smoky and ashy...the criminelle name leads to some seedy, black and white , film-noir style detective show homages, for which this fragrance is VERY reminiscent of.

It has a VERY vintage feel to it, thanks to the hyacinth note. It's very well suited for autumn and winter, because it has quite a spicy edge to it that might be overpowering in heat.

But seriously, this is so beautiful and so rough at the same time. It's floral and smoky, yet dusty and dark at the same time. It reminds me of the clothe interior of a 70's-style car on a hot day.

I might have to shell out a paycheck for this beauty!

phy7174
phy7174

what a bliss from Heaven! Falling love with him!

mpbrown
mpbrown

This is the strangest fragrance I have ever tried. Not nasty, but weird, strange, off the wall, bizarre..... beginning right away with a huge blast of salicylates - crushed wintergreen. The wintergreen moves slowly into something slightly mothball camphorous with fetid undertones - at times a little like bad breath. There is a little plasticy freshness, there are some beautiful whiffs of jasmine and orange blossom amongst all this weirdness, there is some spice, some vanilla in the the dry down as well. It's persistent and long lasting. I wore it to bed the first time I tried it and had crazy dreams about foreign hotels, rising tides, ancient rocks, Hawaiian sweet bread, sushi, elegant maitre d's, and canoodling with young men.... I woke up smelling it several times, it seemed to always be in my conscious awareness even when sleeping - or trying to sleep. This is not a beautiful or pretty fragrance. It's not one that I would choose to wear out in public, but it's a really interesting take on the many facets of tuberose - and very helpful for inspiring the dream state :)))

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

July 20th, 2013.

Tubereuse Criminelle... Mmmm...

It is indeed a perfume of seduction, specially during its drydown. I would wear it for a night out. I am sure this is an attention-drawer. A very well structured fragrance, with parts and intersections. I also think the name "criminelle" is closer to music than to crime of passion, although there are laaarge possibilities of a crime of passion.

But let us do like a butcher-serial-killer and go through this in parts:

Just after the strange menthol like beginning, which linger for very brief moments like the initial chords of a symphony, tuberose punches your nose with a warm and a spicy poignancy. But it is an equally brief introduction.

And that is when and where T. Criminelle becomes even more interesting. Styrax dances for some time and cloves take place, but not overcoming styrax. Au contraire: They dance together, not leaving the floor, until the moment when the other killer dance partners enter: jasmine and nutmeg.

Both couples challenge each other for a while. Styrax and cloves leave. The next part of this dance lasts quite long with citrus notes announcing their near arrival and it ends with jasmine and nutmeg calling the other notes.

The final chords are citrus notes in very enduring tones, closing this fatal tango-like spectacle.

[Curtains down - thank you]

emily7
emily7

This is the ultimate going-out perfume; loud, striking, leaves an unforgettable, dark, exotic, intruiging trail. This is perfect signature scent for a hot, confident woman.

Don't know why, but when I smell it I hear Iggy Pop's "Real Wild Child".

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

Tubereuse Criminelle is the strangest fragrance that I have ever purchased. I really prefer "pretty" perfumes that smell just plain good on me, not like a zoo at midnight or a damp forest filled with elves...or whatever. This is a fragrance that I only spray on my wrists as I made the mistake of spraying all over my neck one morning, and felt the suffocating results the rest of the day. In moderation the super wintergreen opening results in a beautiful rich tubereuse floral that is truly voluptuous and unique. I do not have a huge perfume collection but this is my one choice of a "weirdo" fragrance that I really enjoy wearing.

Kiera79
Kiera79

Well..... This is unusual. Upon first sniff I thought "toothpaste"! After the first 30 minutes the toothpaste fades into the background behind the creamy tuberose. At first I thought why would I want to smell like mentholated tuberose? But oddly this is growing on me. I don't hate it. I don't love it either, but I am finding myself conflicted. I keep going back for another sniff. I don't think I will buy this.... But I still have 2/3 of my sample left, so it could win me over. This one is a conundrum.

samer007
samer007

wow this one so does it for me! it's got everything i love; unusual sharp disturbing notes( menthol like styrax opening), a carnal yet cold heart(tuberose at its most sensual form). when i smell tubereuse criminelle i see a cold forest, water, white flowers and the warm smell of human skin and sexxx:P the tuberose here has a pure yet very carnal quality. definitely a very sensual yet dark scent. love it.
5- stars.

Tubereuse Criminelle is a kind of fragrance that I don't want to have in my perfume wardrobe. But it's better than the other fragrances that I don't want to have in it, too, by Serge Lutens, because it's more intensive and impressive:)

Dark and deep fragrance of tuberose, nutmeg, clove and styrax.

I can't say that I don't like it. Just not for me.

truffles
truffles

This smells lovely at first sniff.
Then a strong 'medicinal' jasmine comes in - like the one that often dominates in the B Never too Busy perfumes.
At the heart of this is the exact smell of the original green Palmolive soap.
My Mum has always had some of this on the bathroom sink, it has been changed and smells nicer now but it used to have the smell that is, for me, at the heart of Tubereuse Criminelle.
To me, it's a slightly 'dirty' smell - not body dirty but almost like a eugenol quality and I just can't take it so I couldn't wear this but then again I think I'm firmly concluding by now that I'm just not a 'white flower' person anyway!

rosecoloredwednesdays
rosecoloredwednesdays

Mmm mm mm. Y'all I love this scent, but the love did not come immediately. Upon application, the first note I noticed, as everyone else has mentioned, was the camphorous asphalt note. It reminds me of the scent of the back of a band-aid, which I happen to like. Immediately that note began to fade and the tuberose came out. Strongly. My first thought was that this was what I, as a child, imagined White Diamonds might smell like after seeing the commercials with Liz Taylor. This tuberose is very heady and sumptous, and depsite the well-to-do old lady association I've made in my mind, I was sold on this fragrance by the second wearing. I will be purchasing a full bottle, and once its on my shelf, I think I will make it my special occasion/formal wear perfume. Definitely not an everyday/work/first date fragrance, save this one for when you need to pull out the big guns.

jasonx
jasonx

@Carestinus: I've just received my export bottle of Tubereuse Criminelle and it's slightly different than the one in the bell jar. The off-putting, menthol opening is muted in the export version, it's only presented to add the coldness to the scent instead of slapping you in the face like the bell jar version. The tuberose in this version comes earlier and also more creamy

To me the modification is doing Tubereuse Criminelle a big favor since my concern about the scent being unwearable is resolved with the export version

The scent is now much more wearable without losing its specialness.

This truly is a masterpiece

Carestinus
Carestinus

I simply can't have a rest! This Lutens is dramatic and I can't choose which one I'll wear for my wedding... I'll have to make several entrances in the party, each one with a different Lutens haha. I read all the reviews ten times before daring to buy a sample of it... and I won't refer to all these wonderful reviews that helped me so much but for the last one next to mine: TakeaBiteofMe you know what you're talking! It's impressed me how you explain exactly what Tubereuse Criminelle is all about. Thanks!

OK... now let me only add I bought a full bottle of this together with Carnal Flower... thinking I'd use the Malle much more, it sounded more unisex in the reviews and the carnal part intrigued me more than becoming a criminal... but I must say guys: if you're looking for a gorgeous flower to highlight your masculinity or to be irresistible wherever you go, don't look anywhere else, this is it. No single friend of mine has mentioned "feminine" in their long odes to this. Of course this works insanely well on women too, but on men... oh lá lá! The menthol vibe together with a perfect little amount of sweetness makes this flowery jewel stand out against any other tuberose around. I like Carnal Flower too but put side to side this is the one I'll never run out of. I'm so happy I dared to blind buy this... it's seriously competing for top 5 in my life.

Serge and Christopher, you naughty pair!!

PS: the oh-so-hard-to-take beginning of this scent is a myth to me...(unless they reformulated it?) It smells wonderful from start to end.. agressive, yes, in your face, yes, powerful, yes, criminelle, oui oui oui!

TakeABiteOfMe
TakeABiteOfMe

Tubereuse Criminelle is drama, is passion, is death, is love.
Tubereuse Criminelle is the thick red curtains of the theaters, is the fabric of the armchairs.
Tubereuse Criminelle starts with a sharp and violent note of styrax that you could smell as a menthol-like leather in disguise.
After this aggressive starting, then from the inside, like a shy violin among drums and trombons. But it's not a gentle, feminine, kind tuberose. The notes of this violin are strident, confusing, spine-chilling.
But suddenly a row of flutes join with the killer violin, making all this noise and chaos pleasent, with an untouchable hint of jasmine and a subtle smell of hyacint.
Tubereuse Criminelle is theater in a bottle, and is breath-taking.

tubereuse
tubereuse

This is one of my all-time top five (Versace Blonde, Carnal Flower, Hypnotic Poison, SL Datura Noir are the others).

If push came to shove, I could not live without Tubereuse Criminelle (or Blonde or CF). Love the menthol-medicinal clove-y coolness that brushes into pure, bright, tuberose blooms. This scent is mysterious and enchanting like the real flower, you catch a whiff then it’s gone and reappears suddenly again.

Next after Blonde, this perfume fetches tons of very positive comments! Now, if I could just figure a way to break into the factory, hehee!

Beautymist
Beautymist

Well, my first encounter with Tubereuse Criminelle was love at fist sight. I was thinking: "this is the ONE!" It's floral and feminine and special, unlike any other floral. But i smelled it in a peculiar form, that is in a concrete (wax) sample from Shiseido.

Now i finally bought the perfume in its alcoholic form, not the wax one.

And what a surprise! the scent starts with a really strange mouthwash smell of mentol and pine. I understand from other reviews that it is the styrax that does that. It's a very disturbing smell.

Fortunately, it dissipates after a while and the beautiful, floral, creamy and sensuous tuberose reigns supreme at last.

This is a throughly contemporary interpretation of tuberose, and won't smell like any other perfume, something that I deeply value in a scent.

This is the first perfume by Christopher Sheldrake for Serge Lutens that i came upon discovering, and I liked it so much that I wanted to know more about the Sheldrake/Lutens creations. Definitely a keeper.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I dont usually like tuberose, but this one is just well made. Not loud, not offensive, not stinging....so beautifully made. Very sexy and captivating. Something to wear when asking for favors ;) This gets my vote forever !

massimilianoinquieto

questo profumo ha il nome della tuberosa,ma non e' basato su di essa. infatti la fragranza evoca un'atmosfera antica,remota, suscita emozioni contrastanti,riporta a ambientazioni ben diverse durante il suo sviluppo.
l'apertura e' fredda e nebbiosa,come la brina ghiacciata sui rami di un albero;infatti canfora-eucaliptus ricreano questo momento...
pian piano si dirada la nebbia e si scorgono i fiori, blu-violacei, un sottofondo vellutato dato da storace e giacinto blu,addolcito da gelsomino,tuberosa e dopo un po,fiori d'arancio.
nel cuore la vaniglia,la noce moscata e i chiodi di garofano danno la sensazione di raccoglimento,di casa accogliente, un unguento tiepido e rassicurante.
poi sfuma con muschio,malva e seppia,ricordando vagamente un tono lilla,delicato, come un tramonto...

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is an amazing and unusual tuberose, very modern in its elements. I love the way the drydown is actually dry and not all wet and squishy like most tuberoses. I normally can't stand tuberose fragrances because they overpower, but this is perfectly balanced and therefore eminently and imminently fascinating. I think Christopher Sheldrake is a perfume genius and I can't wait to try some of his other creations for Monsieur Lutens.

johngreenink
johngreenink

OK, this is a first for me: A scientific perfume? Yes, for some reason this is the word that came to me when I first put some of this on my skin. I could almost see the test tubes and beakers and tuberoses being C02 - extracted into a flask. There are beautiful thick white trails arising out of bubbling flames, turpentine-like resins and crushed lilacs issuing forth purple-y juice. This is so alchemical that it almost feels like humans couldn't have made it.

I love and deeply admire this perfume. It is complicated, waxy, floral, astringent, deep and loud. Its lily and lilac fumes are supernaturally big; the stiff and unapologetic resins are shockingly medicinal. Without question, this can be worn by men - it has enough contradictions to allow that.

Apothecarian, antiquarian, rude! Some tuberose lovers must hate this, but it is heavenly to me. Like an etherized tuberose plant on a slab, dissected by a physician, trying to find the golden egg. No wonder it is criminal; it breaks the rules of flowers and views them through an x-ray. A dark marvel that could only be conceived in the 21st century.

witch_mum
witch_mum

I felt unexpected in love with this fragrance 4 weeks ago...and now it is mine :)
There is a nice musky-leathery note on my skin after the very strong opening will be blown away. Nutmeg helps to avoid a typical floral dry-down and the vanilla isn't the sweet one, fortunately.

louisdav
louisdav

After the initial blast of antiseptic (which you will grow to apprectiate) this becomes the most realistic tuberose fragrance there is. Nothing more to be said.

As much as I love challenging fragrances, it took me several tests to completely get Tubereuse Criminelle. The first time I tried it (on paper) I immediately dismissed it as it was too camphoraceous, too thick and even a tad too loud. I decided it was not for me but, while visiting a major department store a few monthes later, I got a mouillette from an SA and, again, it immediately striked as too mentholated to my taste. The third and final time I got in contact with Tbereuse Criminelle was during a visit at Palais Royal in Paris where, after a purchase, I got a bunch of assorted Lutens samples including this one. When I got back home, I decided to give TC a test on skin and, with my suprise, something finally clicked.

Yes, the fragrance is still pretty thick and loud but there's something perversely fascinating in it. The opening mentholated accord is paired to a rubbery note and an overall vibe of turned flowers. There's something extremely wrong with Tubereuse Criminelle. So wrong to cross the border of mere ugliness and go far beyond towards something completely compelling. The fragrance slowly takes form and morphes into a magnificent floral concoction where tuberose is surely the main star but it's very well blended with other florals to create an extremely elegant composition. Surely not for everybody and still one of those fragrances that need to be properly tested before coming with a final virdict but, with some passion and patience, you will discover one of the closest thing to a masterpiece.

If we could compare fragrances to music, Tubereuse Criminelle would definitely be the most distant thing from pop-music.

Together with ISM and MKK, at the top of my favorite Lutens.

kassinator
kassinator

The styrax (the mouthwash scent) is a bit intense on the inital spray, but this dries down to a lovely tuberose scent with elements of wintergreen. I would have never thought of the combination of sweet mint and tuberose. A friend of mine who used to work in a floral shop said that tuberose does in fact have a menthol like smell to it and that this is the closest to the real thing she has smelled. I sampled this in the store and seriously debated buying a bottle after I waited for the dry down. Instead I opted for a sample. Still this is a lovely scent. I fell like the negative reviewers just didn't have enough patience. The mint blast doesn't take too long to relax and then it is more a mingling of the two.

vdxl
vdxl

One of the best fragrances I have that work for both men and women ( actually I wear it with great success). At first, it smells like Listerine whitening Mouthwash, but it transforms gradually into a lovely tuberose, that is neither powdery, nor excessively vanillic. The wintergreen aspect is kept till the end: it can be a sexy fragrance for a man. Even though it is a love or hate fragrance, I did get a lot of compliments from girls. This is one of my favourite Lutens, along with Daim Blond, Douce Amere and Arabie.

Tubereuse Criminelle is my cup of tea. This is tuberose with a twist, so far removed from the pretty, white fragrant blooms we're used to. It reminds me of another daring Serge Lutens composition, Sarrasins, which is an interesting, somewhat morbid approach towards jasmine.

This fragrance can be very green at first, almost vegetal. Tuberose is not instantly noticeable amongst the damp greeness, but the more the scent settles, the more apparent the traditional tuberose accord becomes.

There is a hint of ointment every now and then, but it's not bothersome to me like it is for some people. Some may hint that it smells like petrol. I personally think it's an oily accord, nothing too crude, just a little on the dirty side of things, making the composition more complex.

I swear I can smell a subtle hint of smooth, black leather in the heart of Tubereuse Criminelle, where the composition takes a turn of flowers and moist earth.

The drydown smells quite chemical and excitingly strange to my nose. Tubereuse Criminelle is daring, occasionally offensive, yet somehow a masterpiece. I appreciate scents of this nature, especially when they choose not to conform to traditional perfumery.

Unfortunately I didn't find Tubereuse Criminelle to be all that strong in terms of sillage. Lasting yes, but not nearly as bold as I expected it to be. I guess I thought Tubereuse Criminelle would be a richer and louder fragrance than what it was.

MariaG
MariaG

A friend gave me a sample of this to try, with possibly the intention of a gift of a full bottle. I am glad I tried it because it's definitely not for me, I sprayed it on my wrist but after an hour I had to wash it off. It has great reviews and I know friends who love this...but I wouldn't buy this without trying a sample.. You may love it... Or like me... Hate it..

Chimp
Chimp

Tubereuse Criminelle is very strange fragrance by Serge Lutens. The opening has very weird scent that smells exactly like a dentist's office, which was enough to make me discard the paper with the scent on it.

rosecat
rosecat

Ok firts thing i smelt was a minty, lollies and tuberose for the first 10minutes then tuberose and sweetness settled in, no more mint standing on top - its complex, and lots of fun!! but not dark or criminal...on me that is.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I finally got to sample Tubereuse Criminelle today. I got an initial spicy blast of medicinal notes which took me surprise (though this should not be the case as many Serge Lutens fragrances smell spicy on me!). It took a while for these initial notes to dissipate and I was left with a very mellow tuberose fragrance with little sillage or longevity. Not a patch on Frederick Malle's Carnal Flower or Le Labo's Tubereuse.

cilgia
cilgia

I'm wearing tubereuse criminelle for the first time today and plan to
buy it . On me the prevailing notes are warm florals , spices, and a
touch of green. The tuberose is drier and more elegant than other
tuberose scents .
I don't get the camphor nor medicinal properties on my skin. The floral,
fresh spice turns warmer ,deeper and more sensual. If you like tuberose,
this is a great one.

greydove
greydove

Its really not as harsh as everyone is saying, or at least not on my skin. I get the opening blast of menthol, camphor or whatever that clinical, medicinal note is which doesn't bother me at all... After 10-15 minutes the spices take over and the white flowers emerge - green, watery and sheer. I love this part. The end just gets more delicate and floral. Its transparent, sweet tuberose, not heavy and cloying like Eden or Fracas and not bitter and sweaty like Carnal Flower (not that those perfumes are bad, but this one stands alone). The last note is a breath of cold soil. Amazing! Oh and I think I get the Criminelle part, but I think the secret is best discovered for yourself ;)

LaPetite
LaPetite

I really don't know what to think about this scent , it's vey intriguing , and medecinal, but not in a bad way , as far as i'm concern. Because it makes me think of a medecine that my granma would use on me , don't remember for what purpose , but still i'm sure it smells like that campher unguent O_o .
So on one hand it makes me remember of my granny taking care of me, but on the other hand , would i like this as perfume ? Not sure , but i can't say i dislike it either , so ??? :-S I'm confused.
Moreover i'm usually a tuberose fan , i love Fracas, Eden, Poison , Poème , Loulou, Chloe ... So ?

massimilianoinquieto

questo profumo ha un potere evocativo e suggestivo notevoli. si apre con una nota fredda e tagliente,pungente,balsamica e assurda,che rievoca una crudelta',una malvagita' ...
si riscalda fra note speziate piccanti,che si muovono su un liquido oleoso,tiepido,una mistura ..ma cattura con delicatezza,lasciando esalare le note floreali che rasserenano,calmano. la scia e' violacea e meditativa,malva e seppia,vaniglia,lasciano sulla pelle un delicato tono sereno,come se il peggio fosse passato... ma e' una fragranza unica,non banale e piena di fascino.

Fizzy
Fizzy

How different can man and women notice a smell!
When the sample arrived, it was not unpleasant. I smelled sweet tuberose with medicinal menthol.
The first time I though, a juice for preparing mummy, with a hint of disinfection.
But I have to say: it refreshes and cleaned my senses, because its so different and so mentholish.

My hubby give me this review: Mmmh, it smells very good, delicious, if you enter a candy shop, this smell comes first. Really bubblegumish scent.

missymary
missymary

This is a joke perfume? It opens with a blast of Germolene. Unadulterated Germolene. Even when I HAVE to wear Germolene I stay at home if possible. The Germolene reeks in its usual objectionable fashion for about 15 minutes and then thankfully reduces to what I kindly call menthol. I never found the tuberose. So save your pennies and simply buy a tube of you know what. Thank God that I only wasted a few dollars on a sample.

Migotka
Migotka

The name does not lie! It is tuberose and it is certainly criminelle. The first wave of it was about to knock my nose out with the punch of tuberose, aggressive musk and spices.

For Lutens, this is not an untypical fragrance, it is powerful, it is expansive, it takes over the space and claims it its own. It is not a comfort type of scent, it is harsh, spicy, it attacks before you can. For me, this is an oriental-floral, heavy with nutmeg and resins, heavy on exotic flowers; it is a scent of an alchemist lab. As it dries down, it still has this harsh feeling to it that does not disappear despite the hints of sweetness.

It is not the same tuberose I know from Artisan Parfumeur's Chasse aux Papillons, neither is it similar to Histoire de Parfums's three interpretations, it is also very different from Fracas and Carnal Flower; it is something fitting in well in the SL line, but I think for me, this is a bit too harsh.

valarian
valarian

OMG what a punch this one packs fabulously unexpected, dark and light, ugly and beautiful it’s quite amazing. I thought menthol, moth balls, couldn't bring the name to the fore then yes, I know what the Crim part is, its GERMOLENE!! Now I happen to like the smell of antiseptic cream but not sure I want people to think I'm doused in the stuff, for obvious reasons!
I will secretly wear this one when at home so I can smell the delicious Tuberose when it pops its head out although I was of the same mind as another reviewer, “if you love Tuberose you can't beat Fracas or Carnal Flower” and you don’t have to put up with Mr Nasty but I’m starting to change my mind! This one is most certainly worming its way into my Psyche. I’m just not sure others at the office or shops would be ready for me draped in TC!
I would like to add it’s been an unusually hot day in the UK and this perfume really does have the affect of cooling you down. It does go rather well with hot weather! Right I’m off to do some grocery shopping and just for fun I’m not taking it off. I want to gage others reactions when stood within smelling distance of me. I wonder if when I’m at the checkout people will move away, leaving me to sail through the checkout trailing wafts of hospital like antiseptic after me.
“Whoah” funniest thing just happened, husband just said, “mmm, you smell nice”, what a mad perfume what a mad husband, what a mad day and do you know, I kinda like this one! I sure as hell won’t meet many others wearing the same perfume any time soon.

s_olafsdottir
s_olafsdottir

First, a huge blast of...what? When I close my eyes I can almost believe I'm in the midst of a tropical night garden with big juicy clumps of flowers hanging all around me. But behind those flowers there is a hint of nasty. It reminds me of public rest rooms in Thailand. Not the piss and shit part but they use these little camphor smelling tablets to repel insects that live in the pipes, mostly roaches and silverfish. The smell of those tablets is lingering in the background. And there is gasoline, I repeatedly caught myself thinking: "I really shouldn't be inhaling this".

As the scent develops the flower part turns more toward jasmine and hyacinth. I'm also getting mothballs and lots of menthol. And orange flowers. Normally I hate orange blossoms. On me they smell dirty and remind me of tooth decay and unwashed bodies. But in Tubereuse Criminelle they fit in, making their contribution both to the flowery part and to the skanky underbelly.

Some hours later things have calmed down. There is a strong note of generic "white flower" that sometimes turns into Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum. There is also a note of mint intertwined. The mint has an interesting physical effect. As I'm not used to smell it in a setting like this I sometimes get a cold little shiver down my spine, or feel slightly unsettled by the cool sensation of it. Like I'm smelling all this flowery sweetness but I know somehow that there is something very very wrong with it. I love how the play with hot/cold adds an extra dimension to the scent.

Some associate this scent with vampires, some with a blond bombshell out of a 30ies movie. Impeccable dressed up in a black tight dress, shiny red lipstick on but just wait for a while and out comes the machine gun. For me, I think of Snow White in her glass casket. When you come closer she opens her eyes and beckons you to open the lid. When you do, you realise there is no girl there but just a mass of crawling maggots reaching towards you. An olfactory representation of a beautiful shell with very nasty things going on on the inside.

To be honest, even if I was looking forward to trying this one, I didn't think I'd like it. There are white flowers, which I'm not to happy about, and orange blossoms that I seriously dislike. But I love it. Somehow the ugliness of each one (as I perceive it) comes together and builds a very unique and interesting whole. This is not a scent for everyday wear, it's a scent that tells a different story to every wearer.

Persephone
Persephone

O la la, Fracas tuberose and Eau de Star menthol toothpaste - truly sounds like a crime! Do not expect another sweet tuberose scent, this one is a red lipped blonde in a black trench pointing an icy breath of a gunpoint at you. This babe might be gorgeous, but she will pull the trigger without a second thought. Definitely not for everyone, but excellent!

Robert White's review made me laugh. Be Afraid, be VERY afraid! It also didn't work for me. I got Peppermint and mothball white flowers.The clove and styrax make it smell like Tiger Balm, extremely medicinal, but with the unfortunate addition of mothball jasmine. All over it was just downright nasty on me.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I knew there was supposed to be something odd about this one, so was not too surprised when I opened up my sample vial and smelled a combination of flowers and camphor, like a garment that had been stored for years in old-fashioned moth balls and then trotted out and sprayed with perfume to cover up the odor of the moth repellant. I think the camphor smell must be what others perceive as menthol. I just shrugged, thinking “meh … Uncle Serge’s elves are at it again”, and waited to see what would happen. I actually like the smell of camphor by itself, if it’s a good one without too much of the naphthalene note, but TC smells like naphthalene. No thanks on the top notes. I don’t want to smell like my great-grandmother’s fur coat. Once the top notes slink away, what’s left is a pleasant mix of white flowers, mainly tuberose and jasmine. As the day wears on, the flowers become more jasmine-like as they gradually fade away. All very well and good, but not really my style.

adele l
adele l

Initially i got a blast of gasoline-not really unpleasant but certainly different. It softens up to a cool tuberose in no time- i don't detect menthol at all on my skin, just a little gas. I fear this may be flammable!

Kankuro

Eigentlich wollte ich Tubéreuse Criminelle erst morgen testen, doch der Duft reizte mich so sehr, dass ich das Wax spontan auf meine Haut verteilte. Von Tubéreuse Criminelle findet man im Internet die goßartigsten Bewertungen. Von den Liebhabern als auch von den Hassern hört man immer das Gleiche: Stark, intensiv, brutal! Das hört sich alles schön und gut an, so recht vorstellen konnte ich mir das Ganze aber nicht. Ich spekulierte wild umher, wie wird riecht es wohl, ist es tatsächlich ein so schokierendes Eau de Parfum? Bei Serge Lutens ist das vorstellbar, aber seit ich heute Morgen Sarrasins getestet habe, bin ich etwas abgeschreckt. Sarrasins war ein Graus für mich. Doch kann man Jasmin und Tuberose wirklich vergleichen? Beides sind weiße Blüten, doch ist die Tuberose von den beiden die am Meisten gefürchtetste. Mit ihr werden oft Kopfschmerzen assoziiert. Ob Christopher Sheldrake hier tatsächlich die Essenz von Kopfschmerzen eingefangen hat?

Tubéreuse Criminelle, der Name ist Programm! Der Duft startet wirklich brutal und laut. Eine starke, grüne Menthol Note legt sich über alles andere. Es ist, als rieche man an einer intensiven Mundspülung, die ,,duften" auch immer sehr stark nach Menthol. Dann, ca. 1 Minute später, wird der kühle Geruch durchbrochen von der nicht minder kühlen Tuberose. Sie erblüht, nein, erstrahlt in ihrer vollen Pracht! Kokosartig umarmt sie das Menthol und geht eine überraschend angenehme Symbiose mit ihm ein. Viele Menschen fürchten die Tuberose, ich gehöre jedoch zu denen, die sie verehren. Zwar kann ich Tuberosendüfte selten tragen (sie stehen mir meistens nicht), aber als Kunstwerk gefallen sie mir sehr gut. Da ist Tubéreuse Criminelle keine Ausnahme. Die Gewürznelke sticht nach kurzer Zeit hindurch, sie scheint eine der Ursachen für die Menthol-Note zu sein. Von den Blüten kann ich in dieser Phase noch keine genau erkennen. Bloß der Jasmin ist hin und wieder zu erriechen, was mich ein wenig stört. Nachdem ich heute schon Sarrasins getestet habe, ist mir überhaupt nicht mehr nach Jasmin zumute... Glücklicherweise zieht er sich schnell zurück und überlässt dann der Tuberose wieder das ,,Schlachtfeld". Diese hat, ähnlich wie der Jasmin, eine animalische Ecke, hier ist sie aber nicht so abstoßend wie in Sarrasins. In Tubéreuse Criminelle ist die animalische Note sehr sexy. Die Kopfnote ist verdammt langlebig und will nicht verschwinden, sowas habe ich noch nicht erlebt. Ich warte und warte und warte. Aber sogar nach über einer halben Stunde hat sich nichts verändert. Menthol, Nelke und Tuberose. Da ist wirklich Geduld gefragt. Obwohl ich jetzt sogar meine kleinste Vanillespuren zu erahnen, bleibt der Duft eher kühl. Es dauert eine weitere viertel Stunde bis sich eine kleine Menge Harz heraustraut. Jetzt lässt sich sogar die erhabene Tuberose endlich dazu herab sich zu verändern. Sie wird etwas wärmer, wobei warm die falsche Bezeichnung ist. Die Tuberose wird nie ,,warm". Sie bleibt kühl, sie ist blaublütig! Wie eine kaltherzige Herrscherin gebietet sie über die gesamte Komposition und setzt sich ohne Rücksicht auf Verluste durch. Sie ist stur und niemand wagt es sie anzuzweifeln. Wie gesagt, sie verändert sich leicht. Sie wird etwas blumiger und legt die animalische Note ab. Es passiert endlich, einige Tropfen Vanille bringen wieder Schwung in's Leben der kalten Herrscherin. Endlich präsentieren sich einige tropische Facetten der weißen Blüte, das ist es, worauf ich seit ewigkeiten gewartet habe. Es erscheinen auch anderen Blumen auf der Bildfläche, die Hyazinthe schenkt süße und erobert zusammen mit der Vanille das Imperium der Kälte. Langsam muss sich das Menthol geschlagen geben, es wurde aber auch langsam Zeit. Es zieht sich zurück, hinterlässt aber Rückstände. Wer denkt, dass das jetzt alles war, täuscht sich! Denn jetzt endlich, tritt die Basis ein, sie tritt als eine süßliche Mischung aus Vanille, Moschus und der Tuberose auf, welche zum zweiten Mal, mit einem leisen Knurren, ihre animalische Seite zeigt um nur kurze Zeit später in einem Meer aus weißen Blüten zu ertrinken. Jetzt erinnert mich das Parfum ein wenig an Saks Fifth Avenue for Her von Bond No. 9. Auch dieser Duft ist Tuberosenlastig, wenngleich nicht halb so voll und reichhaltig wie Tubéreuse Criminelle. Abschließend beruhigen sich die Gerüche alle und liegen leise auf der Haut. Zärtlich und flüsternd, das sind die letzten Atemzüge einer großen Komposition von Christopher Sheldrake!

Wow, ich bin sprachlos! Wer einen Duft erleben will, der zu 100& innovativ und anders ist, der kommt um Tubéreuse Criminelle nicht herum! Ein Duft, ein Erlebnis. Ich komme aus dem Staunen kaum raus und schwelge noch immer in der Basisnote des Parfums. Ob ich mir diesen Duft kaufen werde? Nein, wie ich bereits gesagt habe: Ich verehre die Tuberose, doch als persönlichen Duft kann ich sie mir nicht vorstellen. Ich empfehle jedem dieses Parfum zu testen, niemand soll sterben ohne Tubéreuse Criminelle von Serge Lutens erlebt zu haben. Ob man nun Tuberose mag oder nicht ist dabei egal. Wenn sich euch die Chance bietet, testet! ACHTUNG: Ich habe lediglich das SolidPerfume getestet. Das Solid hat eine enorme Haltbarkeit und ist extrem intensiv. Wenn das bloß die Wax-Probe war, wie intensiv ist dann das Eau de Parfum?

Kankuro

After so many reviews, I was curious about this perfume. I love tuberose, and I have read that every tuberose lover should try Tubéreuse Criminelle. Some people say, this fragrance is unwearable. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to try this Sheldrake composition.

Tubéreuse Criminelle - the name is our game! The opening is really brutal and loud. A strong, green menthol smell overpowers everything else. It's like smelling a strong menthol mouthwash. One minute later the cold smell get's enriched with the even more cold tuberose, which shines in her full glory. She embraces the menthol an adds a coconut like scent to the composition. The blend of these two accords is exciting and mesmerizing. Most people fear the tuberose, but I adore this white flower. I can not wear most tuberose fragrances, but I like them as work of art. Tubéreuse Criminelle is no exception. After a short time, the clove enfolds. I think that the clove was the reason for the menthol note. I can not detect any other flowers in this stage. Just the jasmine is detectable sometimes, which annoys me a bit. Fortunately, the jasmine disappears quick and leaves the tuberose behind. Now the animalic edge of the tuberose comes through, it is sexy and not at all fecal. Now you have to wait. The topnote is very stubborn and except of some drops vanilla, nothing changes. After another 15 minutes, the grand tuberose eventually changes. She is getting warm, but warm is the wrong word. A tuberose never gets warm. She stays cold, she is blue-blooded. Like a cold-hearted sovereign, she dominates over the whole composition. She is stolid and no one is brave enough to challenge her. As I said, the tuberose changes, she gets tropical. Some vanilla brings energy and warmth and the hyacinth adds sweetness. The cold kingdom of the tuberose melts. The menthol disapperas. But that's not all! The base is a sensual blend of vanilla, musk and (of course) tuberose. One more time, she shows her animalic egde, only to drown in an ocean of white flowers, the end of a big perfume.

Tubéreuse Criminelle is unique, strong and exciting! I'm totally stunned by this masterpiece. Everyone has to try this fragrance, even if you don't like tuberose! And now I don't want to know how often I have used the word tuberose in this review ;)

snobuni77
snobuni77

I have the solid sample on right now & it smells delightful.It must develop differently in liquid form because what I am getting it a strong but beautiful tuberose.I scraped all I could out of the sample package & I am hoping it lasts me all day ;)
P.S Although I have yet to smell the liquid for myself I have to say
I love how Vickalena says that the liquid seems to be cold & hot at the same time.That is exactly what a criminal is cold & hot.Beautiful yet cunning,Alluring & dangerous.....after it lours you in it zaps you with an intensity that you weren't expecting.Surge named his creation right.

Robert White
Robert White

my god, this stuff is BRUTAL...it's got this heavy heavy duty smell of menthol...like smoking an entire pack of newport cigarettes at once...I like it, but it is perhaps one of the most difficult to wear fragrances ever created...I love tuberose fragrances...but I think that you can't beat Fracas or Carnal Flower...thank you Vickalena, for the sample...this stuff actually gave me a sensation of FEAR...very artistic, but I don't think I'd spend $180 dollars on it...

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Tuberose hits the tarmac, another adventure with Serge!

A flower is hit by a Ferrari. Our gallant Nose rushes the victim to wounded vegetable hospital, only to find there's no antiseptic to dress the poor stalk's injuries. Fortunately, there's some industrial cleaner used to scrub the ward floors, so he dips the bandages in that and wraps our hapless patient in it, safe from any danger of being identifed as a tuberose...

And the wrists of the world suddenly develop little feet of their own and run away.

This is a truly surreal treatment of tuberose, criminal indeed, to turn the diva into a monster. My partner smelled the topnotes and hasn't been near me since. His loss perhaps because when it all calms down, one detects, with a certain desperate relief, a traditional tuberose in the mid notes gently enhanced by lingering menthol, which crisps and cools the rich heart of the scent. There's a barely detectable undercurrent of gum.

Interesting, but this is not the tuberose fragrance to win my heart; I recall from childhood in Spain, great bunches of these in my mother's house, their scent luxurious and overpowering, heady in the heat, seductive at night.
I love Lutens but now and again, he needs to get his head out of the apothecary's cabinet and just let us smell the flowers.