Designers » R S » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1093 I had it: 264 I want it: 1043 My signature: 19

coconut
Un Bois Vanille Serge Lutens for women Pictures

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women. Un Bois Vanille was launched in 2003. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features sandalwood, black licorice, coconut milk, beeswax, bitter almond, musk, vanila, benzoin, guaiac wood and tonka bean.

Sandalwood Black Licorice Coconut Milk Beeswax Bitter Almond Musk Vanila Benzoin Guaiac Wood Tonka Bean

Memoirs Of A Trespasser
Vanille et Coco

Un Bois Vanille Fragrance Reviews

daisyvision
daisyvision

Pleasant.. but expensive for what it is. A very soft, sweet, and creamy vanilla with a resinous, waxy quality that makes you wish you could sink your teeth into it. Though it's unique and I haven't smelled anything quite like it.. it doesn't particularly call out to me, or coerce me into buying a bottle. Gourmand lovers would probably feel differently, however.

VanilllaPrincess
VanilllaPrincess

After reading all the reviews I ended up blind buying this one. I wore it to work and my co-worker said to me that I 'stunk' and asked me if I had been smoking! I really liked the initial smell but once it dried down it did have some tobacco notes in it. I wanted to like this one sooo much but it just wasn't working for me. I ended up using this one as a room spray (a very expensive room spray).

Violinistchick
Violinistchick

Upon first sniff, unscrewing the top and smelling the juice right from the bottle I thought, 'no way is this the Serge Luten's vanilla-- it's so..... bland and not vanilla.' How wrong I was. I don't know what it was about that sniff and that particular day that turned me off so much. It evoked a "straw" color for me when I was expecting something much more deep caramel, almost molassesy, sticky and smokey in your face vanilla beans. But I have learned over many wearings of this gorgeous scent that it is not dark in that way. It is deep and there are many facets, but for me, on my skin, there is an underlying muskiness and powdery-ness that softens all the spice. It is smoky but rather than incense smoke, it is melting wax. I get some licorice that gives it a boozy feel, too, but surprisingly no coconut. I don't miss it. Perhaps it is there floating with the vanilla, sandalwood and musk that all of these other notes rest on.

Myjulo
Myjulo

This is more about lightly burnt sugar, like mentioned by other reviewers here. It's not so much about the vanilla and coconut, as I hoped it would be.
Simple, sweet (but not overly so), comforting scent. Very likable, but not more than that for me.
Very moderate projection.

victoria.mei1992

It smells quite strong for maybe 3-4 hours and then it's very close to the skin, the best vanilla perfume I tried.

polly golightly
polly golightly

una elegante vaniglia bourbon, che non trascende mai sul gourmand, e che, pur mantenendosi su sentieri esotici di estati passate al mare, con cocco e fiori bianchi, restituisce un fondo inaspettatamente legnoso. non è persistente, tantomeno intossicante, ma un dolce e lieve skin-scent che non stanca. per chi non ama le vaniglie intrusive, questa è matura e ben strutturata. molto buono.

kousuisei
kousuisei

Tried it on today, and first thing that came to mind was salted caramel popcorn!
after a while, the scent kept switching between sweet gourmand, and beewax-y.

After a nhour, it finally calm down and is a bit more milky.

It's sweet and creamy and definitely vanilla centric. Nice scent, but don't think it wll be a full bottle for me.

LauraB613
LauraB613

Buttery burnt sugar with a side of sandalwood - delicious!

Cassiano
Cassiano

One of the few creations of the House conceived just for the female gender, Un Bois Vanille (A Vanilla Wood) was released in 2003 and took Serge Lutens to state: "To paraphrase Freud, it's not the evil who are full of regrets, but the good. Both the devil and vanilla like black!".

This internal conflict unfolds through a scent full of comfort and seduction, in which the black vanilla is the star of the composition, which has notes of beeswax, caramelized benzoin, almonds, guaiac wood, tonka bean, black vanilla absolute, liquorice, sandalwood and coconut milk.

On the skin, the fragrance has a more explosive output, in which is very clear the presence of the caramelized benzoin, reminding a sugar syrup when it starts to get burned on the edges of the pan. In the fast moments that this scent exuded, made me remember of nuances of Blue Sugar (Aquolina). The beeswax, which resembles a syrup with nuances of tobacco, merges to the bitter almonds and gives a bittersweet content. So, the output is sweet, but not cloying.

Before long, the perfume turns into a calmer and creamy gourmand, with milky and sweet nuances that dance between the tonka bean and the vanilla absolute. Definitely, is not the same vanilla from Spiritueuse Double Vanille (Guerlain) or Vanillary (Gorilla Perfume), but is a high quality vanilla.
An interesting feature to comment is the smoothing of the fragrance, which loses the explosive projection of the beginning and allows Un Bois Vanille to be worn even in the hot climate of Brazil, without making people around you feel sick. Once again, I repeat: it's a nice gourmand, but it's not nauseating.

Another important aspect is the fact that it is a super sharable scent, even being categorized as female. It also makes me confused with some other creations of this House that are marketed as unisex, but are much more feminine than this.

In closing, I would say that Un Bois Vanille did not show me the vanilla wood, unfortunately. But I understand that this is a perfume made for women and, therefore, instead of a vanilla over wood with woody aspect, it was necessary to create a vanilla pudding, which should be felt with no guilt or regrets, just comfort.

HellCommander
HellCommander

I've been lusting after this for a long, long time. And when i finally got a chance to test this today, I was very disappointed. :( What a shame, I was expecting the most beautiful gourmandy vanilla on Earth... but it's just not for me.
It's just so overwhelmingly sweet. Very thick, very buttery... and to be honest, it's just too much for me. Ah well, at least now I know that I wouls've been stupid to blind-buy it. Still can't help but feel a bit sad about not getting on with this fragrance.

shortrouge
shortrouge

I love this perfume ! It's my second FB from Serge Lutens, I'm loving this brand.
Anyway, Un Bois Vanille.
Beautiful, strong vanilla. Always the front note. Depending on the day, its main companion is either liquorice, coconut or honey/slightly burnt sugar ( beeswax ? ), though at the beginning I usually get more liquorice or coconut while beeswax tend to play its part during the middle.
But the drydown ... the drydown is fabulous. It was what made me want this perfume instantly. I remember the first time I smelled the drydown I was like "Wow. This is what I would want a lover to smell." It smells vanilla and warmth, it smell like watching a movie with your loved one while a fire purrs in your hearth and you're eating warm and soft vanilla cookies.
It's one of the rare perfumes I can actually smell while wearing it, I'm not used to it so it's sometimes overwhelming for me.
I do not wear it everyday as it's really sweet and I like fresher, easier to wear fragrances such as Five O'Clock by SL, but I do have my "Un Bois Vanille" days !

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

I rarely deviate from Lutens fragrances in the winter; so many of them seem to be made for snowy days and thick fabrics. I wish I had tried Un Bois Vanille sooner though, but for some reason I kept skipping it. This fragrance is as unique and beautiful as other Lutens scents, but has a gentle manner that makes it easier to wear than others.

Un Bois Vanille smells very natural to me. The whole composition has a "lit from within" feel. The vanilla is buttery and the coconut feels toasted and dry. Pairing well with the warm, sweeter notes, Un Bois Vanille captures the subdued smokiness of smouldering pine logs in a fireplace; a comforting and subtle facet. Waxy and resinous, the whole composition feels dense, but not heavy. This would smell lovely on any gender.

I understand why some people say UBV smells like a candle or like it's "burning" - that can be attributed to the beeswax note, I suppose. Certain twists make Lutens compositions either loved or hated (for example, the kitchen spices in Ambre Sultan or the "barnyard" animalic facet to A La Nuit) and I think the beeswax might be the note that makes this unwearable for some people. For me, I love it!

Though it doesn't project very far after the initial 20 minutes, I wouldn't wear this scent in the heat of the summer. I enjoy Un Bois Vanille on cold days, when I crave warmth and texture in my fragrance. Good stuff.

jedrzejowskia

I've already reviewed this before, being swooning about this perfume for ages after the initial few test wears....
Now I own a FB and I have to add:
This smells like if you took a vanilla walk in the snow in the woods. It's such a chilly, green vanilla, absolutely stunning.
Not many perfumes deserve a second review, this one does.
It projects well, it's longevity is great and it's bang for buck really good quality perfume.
It's such a romantic smell to me and it's wonderful for winter. Can't wait to wear it during the other seasons.
For gourmand lovers, this is not sweet at all, it's fresh!
If you're a vanilla fan, this is a must have in your collection.

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

It's a concoction of anything sweet you can find in nature, so it's obviously heady in that sense. The only reason it doesn't feel too much to me (in a way sometimes Pink Sugar does) is that it stays refined in it's sillage. After the initial blast mellows down, it reminds me of a gentle vanilla & sandalwood candle scent - the beeswax gives off that unmistaken aura too, and I find wearing it very comforting. Candles in general are one of my biggest comforters.

The initial spray is very strong with licorice, and although it never disappears completely, it doesn't stay overpowering throug all stages of development. I can also smell the coconut and almond to a certain point, but they stay subtle on my skin. The almond and the more noticable sandalwood gives a quite powdery edge to the fragrance though, so much that even the vanilla smells more like those vanilla sugar sachets rather than the milky/velvety kind I'm more used to. I like the difference though, makes Un Bois Vanilla stand out from among the rest of the thousands of vanilla perfumes in the market.

Longevity is okay but not outstanding. Sillage is soft, as I said before, but that's not an unnecessarily bad thing for me. Too loud would be too much. I've had dozens of vanilla based perfumes before, and although I liked them, I never stuck with any for long. This one will be certainly back on my want list when I'm done with my current bottle. It also seems to be my boyfriend's favourite so far - just a footnote, because I know some of you may find this information useful.

rooa
rooa

The opening gives a cotton candy vibe and after that you start to gradually feel the vanilla, beeswax, coconut and licorice. All the notes are well balanced so this fragrance has an elegant sweetness.

stephan

If you like un Bois Vanille, you really should try Soul (Costume National).
The same thing, but better sillage/longevity and less nauseating.

_Lashes_
_Lashes_

This smells like warm "Nice" biscuits...the coconut ones...and i love it! When I was pregnant it smelled quite boozy and gave me a headache, I'm glad that I can wear this again without that side effect.

strawberryswitchblade
strawberryswitchblade

Delicious delicate vanilla scent. Not overpowering, and not boozy. Is there such a thing as smoked vanilla? The smoky aspect makes this fragrance warm, non-sweet, tolerable and just the tiniest bit edgy. The coconut, beeswax and licorice are not dedectable (not to me at least) but seem to perfectly underscore and bring out the woody, smoky vanilla. I bought UBV to layer with Ambre Sultan but ended up adoring it just by and for itself

stylenurse
stylenurse

While Un Bois Vanille is notoriously sweet I find something very light-hearted, wispy, airy, calming about this scent. The times that I love this clean, musky, woody, sweet, gourmand scent the most is after a stressful day, post-shower, or right before bed. It's like being a cold foggy forest where the branches are covered in cotton candy instead of leaves. If you like sweet scents like Aquolina Pink Sugar, Prada Candy, or Flowerbomb but feel like they may cause cavities this may be a better option to satisfy your sweet tooth.

astaan
astaan

با توجه به نتهایی مثل وانیل و نارگیل انتظار داشتم بالاخره موفق به پیدا کردن یه عطر خوشبو از این برند شده باشم، ولی متاسفانه اینم مثل بقیه عطرای این برند یه بوی چیپ و نچسب داشت
اولین چیزی که بعد از اسپری کردنِ این یادم افتاد بوی شامپو بچه های گلرنگ بود (اونا که مایع صورتی داشتن)
جالب اینه که این برند به اصطلاح نیش اومده بوی نارگیل رو دراره و شامپو گلرنگ ما هم قصد داشته بوی نارگیل بده شامپوش ، دلیل شباهت رایحه نارگیل این دو تا هم حتما این میتونه باشه که گلرنگ برای رایحهء شوینده هاش مثل برندهای عطرسازی نیش عمل میکنه !! :)
از طرفی وقتی ما عطری مثه ورجن آیلند وتر از کرید رو بو می کنیم، اونجا رایحه نارگیل دقیقا ما رو یاد نارگیل طبیعی یا دست کم پودر نارگیل میندازه
واقعا هیچ جوره نمیشه درک کرد یکی بره پول زیادی واسه خریدن عطرای سرج لوتنس خرج کنه ، مگه اینکه خیلی تحت تاثیر حرفای دیگران قرار گرفته باشه
یه مساله ای هم که وجود داره اینه که خیلی از خارجی ها ، بوهای چیپ مثه گلاب و ادویه جاتِ ارزون و ... که ما هر روزه توی ایران میشنویم براشون بوهای منحصر بفرد و خاص و لوکسی جلوه میکنه
و شما کافیه نظرهای این جماعت رو درمورد عطرهای با این روایح بخونید

امیدوارم همیشه علاقه شخصی، معیار برای انتخاب باشه نه به به و چه چه های چهارتا کامنت گذار یا اونا که یه خرید کورکورانه داشتن و به خودشون به این شکل میخوان دلگرمی بدن

ActiumG
ActiumG

Elegant coconut mushroom sweets, dries down to essence of custard cream biscuit, lovely

Tapioca
Tapioca

You always read about "burnt plastic" vanillas. I always thought that only happened to other people, but today it was my turn. Un bois vanille smelled fantastic on paper --an irresistable vanilla-coconut gourmand concotion. On my skin... burnt plastic then burnt rubber.
Rather unpleasant and with upsettingly good longevity. After lunch, I tried to scrub it off my wrists in the sink, and yet the burnt tires just wouldn't go away.
In the end, I had to borrow Coco EDP from a colleague to kill the smell.

hsheep
hsheep

Mmm on me this smells like a delicious macaroon. The coconut is more green and I almost get a whiff of fresh bamboo in the beginning. Bamboo's not actually there, but the mix of coconut and woods reminds me of it.

Once it settles into my skin I mostly get a sweet (but not sugary) baking vanilla with coconut, which reminds me of that light macaroon, and a tiny hint of woods. I'm really enjoying this, I find it pretty gourmand, but unfortunately I'm also finding it very light wearing. If the scent was a little stronger it would definitely be full bottle worthy for me.

elenmart
elenmart

For those who love it but don't have money at the moment: try Bath&Body Works' "Signature Vanillas:Coconut" body spray. It smells very similar to this, to be more precise, it smells like Un Bois Vanille mixed with a bit of Gold Sugar by Aquolina.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Nooo. Nice notes, nice and sweet but spoiled by waay too much of the coconut.

It's overwhelming and completely dominating in only 15 minutes after 1st spray.

The 1st spray is quite nice however (1 minute of nice, pretty sweet vanilla) but it's not worth it as the milky notes and sweetness without any citric element are simply too linear and occasional to be taken seriously.

I don't really get any licorice either for any balance.

I like Bounty chocolate bars but it doesn't even resemble that, having no cocoa note, only more notes like tonka and almond that bring out the crazy coconut note even more.

Big pass, sorry! But the Quality is definitively better from Lutens.

My rating: 5/10.
Quality: 8/10.

Snicole82
Snicole82

I guess I'm going to be the odd girl out on this one. I really don't like it. I've smelled better vanillas out there that were a lot cheaper. I guess it's the licorice, which I really don't like. But this isn't so vanilla to me. It's tangy and sour.

Very light and airy. Low sillage and low longevity on my skin.

kateapple
kateapple

I had high hopes for this one. I've been testing out some vanilla scents lately, just in time for colder weather, and this one looked perfect. Vanilla, licorice, coconut, sandalwood, benzoin. Delicious. However, that's not quite what I got. Un Bois Vanille is a very pleasant vanilla scent, but it's simple. The complexity of the notes didn't really shine through, and while it's totally wearable and nice, it also smells exactly like my Cinema Secrets makeup brush cleaner. Since I love Lolita Lempicka so much, I'm always hunting for another great, but different, licorice scent. This one isn't it, I'm afraid. If you're a lover of vanilla, give this one a go. Serge Lutens does make great scents. But on my skin, it was almost exclusively vanilla and not much else, the other notes just mixing together into some amalgamation that smelled like (good) makeup brush cleaner.

Fede Buffay
Fede Buffay

L'ho amato al primo spruzzo. Caldissimo e avvolgente, dolce come una coccola, anzi, molto di più! Non c'è niente di più caldo e goloso per le giornate invernali.

Starlet fume
Starlet fume

This fragrance is my go to for evenings at home. It smells like cake, smoke from my fire pit and a great rye or bourbon. This is a very sexy fragrance. Of course I am stockpiling it knowing it will be vaulted or reformulated someday.

ANDREADOLORES
ANDREADOLORES

This beauty is the closest Ive ever come to a perfect scent. Im a dreadfully picky buyer & what I want for in a perfume is usually not what others are looking for. I like my vanilla perfumes to be dark, not cloying, but with a clear depth. Non chemical but more organic. This perfume is the only one that have ever given me that.

To me its a woody pitchblack but at the same time creamy sweet vanilla. It is in many ways saved from the Creme Brulee-crowd by the bitter and beautiful licorice that really does it for me. The inital first hour is the favorite for me - after that it slumbers into a more still honeysmoked vanilla. The sillage is perfect - only the ones let in close smell it. Ive never feeled oversprayed with this, the only thing I'd wish for is more longevity. And even though I've had this perfume for almost two years, I still really look forward to putting it on. Could definitely work as a unisex scent awell, for vanilla loving gents out there.

For me "Un Bois Vanille" is like the tough cat dressed in black and leather drinking a stout in the corner of the pub, that the closer you get the more you just wanna have her.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Creamy, comforting, spicy vanilla. Un Bois Vanille is foody, but not juvenile. It's a bit of a hedonist's vanilla, I think - the type who loves a good cigar and a stiff drink with dessert. The more I wear it, the more deeply I fall in love. Un Bois Vanille can be worn in a variety of situations, but I suspect that the majority of my wearings will be for comfort, at home, with a fuzzy blanket and a good meal, a book, or a movie. It feels like wearing home on my skin.

stephan

I'm a guy, I have a bottle of this juice and it will be perfect for the winter. Don't be afraid guys, this is not more feminine than DHI, another great fragrance.

Saaga
Saaga

At first this smells like vanilla scented candle. A bit bitter and woody. Then after an hour it turns quite sweet. I like this but not sure I like it enough to get a full bottle.

edit. After using up my sample I think I do need a FB ;)

Perfumed life
Perfumed life

This was one of my first encounters with high end perfume houses . Is a very strong sweet vanilla perfume spicy , woody and again sweet sweet sweet scent . Very distinctive like all lutens perfumes . Without being judgmental it's not a masterpiece but is a very beautiful creation . I remember I was in the gym and I was wearing it and everyone was asking me what it was. It is very overwhelming but in a nice way if I could say is an innocent girly , strong vanillic perfume with long projection and very long lasting . But whoever likes vanilla should try it I recommend it .

lilalina
lilalina

This vanilla is different from any other. The licorice gives off a spicy sense, together with the tonka and almond it really turns into a sophisticated gourmand.

ThisVulture
ThisVulture

A rich and complex vanilla with facets of burnt sugar, honey comb, coconut milk, bourbon, heliotrope, woods, and creme brulee. Milder and quieter than I expected, the notes sink into each other disappearing and reappearing at turns in a river of creme anglaise. Sadly for me, I don't like the woody drydown once all the opulent vanilla has burned off. Otherwise I would have bought it in a heart beat.

*OldWestCowgirl* Adri
*OldWestCowgirl* Adri

Un Bois Vanille (Serge Lutens)
Perfume obrigatório para as formigas de plantão...rs.
Sim, mega doce, não tanto quanto o Blue Sugar claro, mas doce e extremamente gourmand.
Uma mistura de Fancy com Coconut Passion, o doce de caramelo queimado do Fancy + a cremosidade do coco do Coconut Passion.
Assim que usei amostra dele hoje, me remeteu aos ouriços de festas de criança (docinho do coco queimado).
Não é um perfume tão diferente, nem exótico, muito menos com especiarias. Mas, gostei.
Se vc gosta de perfumes doces gourmand, comestíveis...rs, estilo Blue Sugar, Fantasy, Midnight Fantasy, Guess by Marciano, Fancy, Coconut Passion, Vanilla Lace, Angel, arrisque sem medo, vai dar liga p/ vc...rs.

Misscreme
Misscreme

Cette fragrance est à la fois douée de sourire angélique et d'un charme maléfique, qui captive telle une histoire fascinante. Cette dernière paraît tantôt enfantine avec ses notes de réglisse, tantôt mature grâce à sa mélodie finale enivrante et densément boisée. Encore une preuve vivante que la vanille révèle ses facettes méconnues : elle exprime une douceur pénétrante et l'instant d'après l'impétuosité de son caractère.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

Un Bois Vanille is delightful, and the only Serge Lutens creation that I feel is 100% perfect for me!

The sweetest notes appear in the initial spray, and the opening. Rich vanilla, licorice, almond, and a gorgeous "honeyed" facet that really makes this unique from other vanillas. (Seriously, this gives off a vanilla-beeswax lip-balm vibe for a minute! Delicious!) While it *IS* a gourmand, it veers away from cake batter & spun sugar. No, this is richer, deeper, and certainly not cloying.

The slightly more woody notes shine through in the drydown, and something reminiscent of a sweet incense accord, making Un Bois Vanille one of the ultimate comfort scents. Perfectly suited for the cooler months, but I've worn it in scorching summer heat, and it isn't suffocating.

On that note, the projection is somewhat minimal, and the longevity is average. I never feel like I overspray this one!

(In regards to the coconut note in the pyramid - It's definitely one that's well blended, and creamy. I was always afraid this fragrance would lean towards a tropical/sunscreen vibe, and that is not the case!)

kanak
kanak

A very nice gourmand vanilla fragrance. Coconut pastry with vanilla icing is what my girlfriend said and I think she's spot on.
Like all Lutens/Sheldrake creations, wonderfully blended ingredients, mostly I get the vanilla, coconut and some woods and a hint from the beeswax. The licorice in this is barely noticeable for me, not like Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin for example. Good projection and excellent 8 hours plus longevity. All Lutens' frags are unisex regardless of fragrantica classifications and this is no different, guys, if you like sweet gourmand vanillas, this is a very very nice example. Provided the vanilla gels with your skin chemistry, this plus a cold night equals girlfriend wanting to cuddle! Love it. 8.5/10

PS My Mum really liked this one so I gave her my bottle. It's turned her into a hug magnet for all the little kids among our family and friends!! Smells like cake and cookies to them :)

victoria.mei1992

Tried this on paper, it's strong, like vanilla and insence. Drydown is devine, like woody vanilla, very spphisticated, not boring.

DAL123
DAL123

On the fence about this one. I think I will have to give it more time. On my skin its all woods for the first hour or so. Then it mellows into a sharp vanilla. I haven't been able to detect any coconut. It's nice but its a bit too woody/masculine for my taste. I may try to mix it with something sweeter to see what I get. Or it will end up being passed on to my boyfriend. I'm thinking it will smell pretty good on him.

Steleale
Steleale

What a warm woody gorgeous vanilla! Love at first sniff! This is on my favourites list. All high quality ingredient (obvious: this is a Lutens frag) perfectly balanced in a 50 ml bottle. At first spray i got a warm sensuous and comforting embrace... A wonderful jem, I am so happy with this.

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

This is the first time I've ever been underwhelmed by Serge Lutens. Usually fragrances from this house deliver a swift punch in the nose, but Un Bois Vanille is rather like an accidental graze. I like it better than your average mall gourmand, but I guess I was expecting a little more "bois" and a little less "vanille." Primarily I smell vanilla and coconut, with beeswax singing backup and the woody notes just whispering in the background. I feel like you could get the same effect from a nice suntan lotion for a fraction of the price.

Sotos
Sotos

I use it rarely, because it doesn't project much on me... However, i like its scent a lot, it makes me relax and i feel great when i smell or wear it!

I prefer wearing it in the summer when i don't wear many clothes and it lasts longer and smells stronger.

I don't care if it's a female perfume because it doesn't really matter, does it??

Peta22
Peta22

Oh wow! Vanilla, coffee, chocolate, incense, resin, smoke, spice, coconut, honey – Un bois vanille is an absolute delight to my senses! I can understand peoples comments about ‘too much’ going on in this fragrance but I don’t feel that way myself – I think its an gorgeous and exciting adventure. It is sweet but I would have been disappointed if it wasn’t at least a bit sweet… I actually find a straight up ‘dry’ fragrance to be just a bit dull – a problem I have with Diptyque Duelle. However, I don’t find it anywhere near as sweet as La Vie Est Belle which is a comparison others have made. To me it’s very gourmand and completely delicious. I’m absolutely wrapt that I bought this blind on the back of reviews of Guerlain’s SDV which see many people comparing the two fragrances. I find the comparisons to be quite apt… I think SDV is generally more refined, deeper and creamier and Un Bois Vanille seems much sharper and more peppery in the opening but overall, I think there are enough similarity for Un Bois Vanille to calm cravings for SDV when you want to ‘splash’ around an cheaper alternative (not that Un Bois Vanille is cheap by any means but it is less than ½ the price of SDV). I’m looking forward to spending many, many happy hours inhaling this amazing creation! And whatsmore, I’ll be able to wear this as often as I like and conserve my SDV for as long as possible!

assbleeder
assbleeder

Being a lover of vanilla, this was a blind buy for me. After an initial blast of cavity-inducing sweetness akin to burnt sugar, the vanilla remains sweet and in full command. However, the licorice and bitter almond tempers the sweetness by giving this fragrance an interesting edge. The beeswax sometimes comes out of its shadows and gives me a lip balm feel, but it's not overwhelming. On my skin, I don't detect any coconut, interestingly enough. The drydown is pleasant. The vanilla is lickable, almost moist--definitely fragrant, but the woods and benzoin keeps it from being too foody.
Overall, this is a really good cuddle fragrance for cold winter days.

svetlana.kogan.73
svetlana.kogan.73

All of my favorite "ingredients" in one splendid perfume! The vanilla is surrounded by woodyness, smokiness and even undertones of almond and coconut.. This can be worn any season, day or night, by young and old fragrance lovers who love complex and lush smells based on the simplest little things that make them cozy.

shushkin
shushkin

Yes, the initial blast is very rich sweet vanilla but this fades very quickly. The dry down is spicey, woody vanilla. There is almost a pepperiness. I love it. Sillage is moderate as is the longevity.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Gosh, I hate to rain on the parade here... I mean, I liked this, but I didn't love it. I had high expectations for silky smooth vanilla perfection and this perfume was quite sweet, complex and cozy... just not on my skin.

On me, Un Bois Vanille was a very sweet vanilla. Unfortunately, there is a note in this, that gives a weird sweetness in the beginning that is quite persistent and interrupts the composition for me. I think it was the licorice for me here and I'm not keen on the scent for this reason; I don't like the spicy sweetness that licorice gives perfumes.

However, the other notes are well-blended to give the scent some depth. The dry-down is a vanilla-musk. This perfume lasted for about 6-7 hours on me; sillage probably about soft to moderate.

Overall (and especially considering the hype from this website) I was actually a little disappointed. I think I would prefer this one on other people :)

Cloying, but interesting. This is a complex scent, but its complexity is somehow destroyed by too many notes put together. I call it the SL's effect, because it happens to me with virtually all SL's perfumes. There is always one or two notes more than it should be. Perhaps made for opulence's sake, it often collapses the whole blend.
This one is way too sweet. Not a great impression, but I want to try it again.

Elokitty
Elokitty

Je l'ai adoré mais je ne le supporte plus... Trop écœurant...
J'ai fait plusieurs essais de layering et miracle: il est parfait avec Hypnotic poison que je ne supporte plus non plus !
La noix de Coco est largement atténuée, le côté caramel aussi. HP est toujours présent mais en sourdine.
Voilà comment je réussis à les terminer tous les deux !

attila1945
attila1945

My perfume as per today, I 've been using it for a while now, and I re-discovered it recently! The exotic zing to it is fantastic, especially on a cold winter night, like this one! All Serge fragrances are wonderful on my skin, I find it strange that it would not work for so many of you here! The perfumes are classy and longlasting!

nathalie87

It smells exactly like vanilla car freshner! I agree!

rachelcerq
rachelcerq

This smells just like a vanilla car freshener. I have no doubt that it is made of extremely high quality materials, but I simply can't disassociate it from the image of a freshener tag hanging on a rear view mirror. If this scent conjures such images in my mind, I'm sure it will do the same for people around me. I didn't catch any wood, and think that this scent could benefit from a bit more backbone.

Vanilla fragrance I don't like, it's so rare! Possibly it is due to licorice which I definitely don't like in most of perfumes.
This fragrance is unbelievably sweet. Level of sweetness can be compared to La vie est belle or Flowerbomb. I expected more from a niche fragrance, to be honest.

SummerMelody
SummerMelody

On me this is dark caramel with a little spice and woodsy notes. My husband really brings out the wood, hee hee, no really :)

jedrzejowskia

On me this smells like Vanilla and sweet mint candycane (polkagris in Swedish)
It does in no way smell expensive, however exceptionally pleasant and unique.
I think my sister will be happy to try this decant after me, as she loves the vanilla and the sweet mint candles from Ikea.
It's very linear however longevity is excellent, where the scent wears skin-close after 4 hours.
Full bottle? Perhaps some time in the future, if I find it for a good price online.
I didn't get any "bois" but it being the Lutens line, "bois" might read as "Boys". This might be quite powerful snuggle magnet, yano whadImean.... ;-)

iow-pam
iow-pam

I purchased this sample a couple of weeks ago, but have only just tested it. The vanilla hit me whilst I was still applying the perfume to my wrist and when I took a sniff it knocked me back, it is so strong! And not in a nice way. This is incredibly sweet.
After waiting about 10 - 15 minutes I checked again in the hope that it had quietened down, but no. The strong notes are vanilla and coconut, rather like a Bounty bar without the chocolate. I have spent the last couple of days out buying for Christmas, and the vanilla candles were more subtle than this.
Sorry, but I will need to wash this off. Not for me. Thank goodness I didn't blind buy.

Nickie
Nickie

I need a zap of citrus to cut through the cloying texture of this. I've been wearing it for less than an hour, but I've reached my limit. Far too sickly and seemingly linear for my taste.

karola12345
karola12345

This smells like a lot of coconut with vanilla car freshener. And it's not a combo I'd like to wear.

oktober
oktober

I used to like this but lately it just smells like burnt vanilla biscuits...

Hellita
Hellita

Oh dear heavens, what a great scent this is! A wonderful take on vanilla!

It's been on my want-list for a long time, because it's always sold out at my local perfume counter (no wonder!) but I'll soon get my hands on this beauty!

On me Un Bois Vanille starts out with a rather unpleasant sour/bitterness and I was worried that my skin chemistry was causing it. Luckily I was told by the SA to give it more time and only 10 minutes later I was blown away! It changes into something utterly magnificent that made me go: "MMMMMMHHH!" out loud. A gorgeous vanilla-honey-tonka that is perfectly balanced with smokiness and woody notes to make sure it's not overly sweet or boring.
The combination of notes makes it more edgy and interesting than the usual vanilla cake scent and I LOVE that about it. In my opinion it's unique and intriguing and you're totally sniffworthy when wearing it. Lasts a long time on my skin too! It is a "sticky vanilla" but in a very positive way!

I brought a friend with me to the shop trying this out and after the bitter top notes had faded I made her smell my wrist and her comment was: "wow, that is SO GOOOOD, can I please copy you? I need this"

We both agreed that this is DIVINE and I'm happily adding this to my collection for Winter.
Soon Merry Christmas to me! <3

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This is a very sweet, syrupy vanilla. It's quite sickening and has far too much in common with cheaper celebrity-endorsed gourmands.

As a man who loves vanilla on a woman, this rings all the wrong bells. It's annoying and not sexy at all.

Sorry ladies :/

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

This was such a let down. I'm looking for a vanilla perfume that is not overly sweet, complex but yet enhances vanilla. I was hoping this would be it since Serge Lutens makes beautiful concoctions.

The vanilla I got was extremely waxy like a cheap, synthetic, vanilla candle. Wax the whole through. Wax mixed with coconut, licorice, and I normally love those notes but being mixed with the wax enhanced the wax even further. The vanilla did not stand out to me and was overwhelmed by everything else. Not my cup of tea.

This is amazingly delicious. It's sweet, balsamic and smoky. I think it smells like chai latte. I am not quite sure how to wear it, but it smells so good I just want to drink it. :)
I like vanilla and coconut in it.
It makes me think of Christmas, so very suitable very cold winter.

JaiTee
JaiTee

I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time, so I was really happy to win a decant in one of Cake 'n Cuddles giveaways.

Un Bois Vanille starts off as a smoky, salty vanilla. It truly gives off a light wisp of wood smoke, with a ribbon of vanilla running through it -- as if someone had the fireplace going, while making a dessert.

After the smoke fades, there's a phase where I can detect a beeswax note, and then a buttery vanilla remains.

There's still a touch of salt, so it reminds me of those cube-shaped soft caramel candies that you can buy for a few pennies each.

What I love about this scent is that the vanilla isn't very sugary, since it's tempered with that salty, buttery aspect.

I don't get much coconut, which is a HUGE surprise to me, since my skin amps up that note.

I also don't detect *any* black licorice, although it may have been blended really well into the smokey opening.

Un Bois Vanille has made me crave desserts all day, which I guess, could be a negative. The only other note-to-self when evaluating this for FBW status is that it lasts about two to three hours before becoming a skin scent, worn during chillier autumn days.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

interesting. reminds me of EL Sensuous Nude. vanilla, coconut, sandalwood, and some kind of soft floral - jasmine? tuberose? very pretty. i love it.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Oh dear.
I was really looking forward to this perfume, based on other reviews and it's notes.

But it opened with overwhelmingly artificial sweet candy notes and continued on into overwhelmingly artificial vanilla and - of all things - cocoa butter.

Anyone who knows Palmers cocoa butter moisturiser will recognise the middle notes of this perfume instantly.

There are notes of beeswax and a little sandalwood in there as well, and although I like all of the notes listed as individual elements, the perfume itself is ultimately pedestrian.

And oh! how much I wanted to like it; how much I wished for it to be more than it is...

dsty
dsty

Un Bois Vanille delivers what the name promises, but only if licorice is wood; the only notes I really smell are vanilla and licorice, although none of the notes listed are very surprising when I think about it. The opening is almost pure licorice, and as it develops the vanilla becomes more and more prominent. Like the other Lutenses with gourmand notes I've tried, it's comforting and cosy, perfect for the colder seasons: very sweet, but not in a sickly or childish way. Just like Santal Majuscule did a coupole of weeks ago, it gave me another one of those happy moments when all was good with my life just because I caught a whiff of this fragrance, even though I was waiting on an ugly platform in the dark for a train to take me to my boring job. And that was before it got even better with the drydown, as the the ratio of between vanilla to licorice became a bit more balanced!

So it seems like I'm hooked, as I've come to expect from this "Consolation" series; it just seems to fit my winter needs perfectly (I'm just going to enoy it, and not think too much about what it might say about my character!). Then again, I like licorice, which is a must if you want to try this. Even I found the opening a bit much when I tried it in summer, so this is definitely one to go into "hibernation" from april to september. From october to march, however, I don't think I want to be without it anymore.

weasley
weasley

My favorite true vanilla scent so far. And I love vanilla.

The first initial spray reminds me a little of the Jeux de Peau strangeness where the salty licorice collide with the milky vanilla-coconut; it just doesn't add up to my nose, and it got me convinced that I would not really love this the first times it touched my skin. But it soon dries down to it's true self which if you don't know it, let me introduce you to Un Bois Vanille:

It's the perfect vanilla: warm, comforting and powdery with no resemblance to the juicy, fruity vanillas we see so much of these days. Vanilla is truly the star in this, but it's being carried by a dark, interesting layer of woods and balms. I do smell some honey in this and it blends perfectly with the milky vanilla. The licorice isn't as noticeable after the initial spray has dried down - thank you - and it just adds the perfect touch of savory to the otherwise sweet composition.

The best part of this is that even though it is so delicious (not entirely edible, it's more complex than that) it manages to be really classy and sophisticated. Like you've been to some secret bakery that no one knows about and you're going on an amazing journey today. It's kind and intriguing, you want to know more. I think anyone would like this one, though it might sit best in the hearts of gourmand lovers.

Lana148
Lana148

Sweet, concentrated, realistic, woody vanilla.

Vanilla is mixed with honey and coconut. The wood notes are warm and soft.

This potion is a little sticky-sweet and gooey for me, I prefer my gourmands to be more delicate and less cloying. But if you like double sugar in your gourmands - this will be perfect for you.

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

It's good but on me the honey overtakes the entire scent. It's pleasant enough for winter and can get overwhelming after a smile since the sillage and longevity is excellent. THIS is the kicker though. I bought this because I had tried the Pittsburgh soap version and liked it. When I received I smelled it and sprayed both. They are IDENTICAL. Can't tell the difference and the longevity is equal. I had two people smell both arms and couldn't twll the Difference. At $60-80 differnce, I'll stick to the fake.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Un Bois Vanille is similar to other pastry-shop VANILLAS, as Kenzo Amour (the most chemical, vanilla pudding) Candy (dry roasted almond chips, with heavy sugar crust - quite authentic gourmand) or L'Ambre des Merveilles (instead of almonds there is elegant labdanum - even better!)
They are all unbearably chemical for my taste.
Un Bois Vanille is equipped with nice dry exotic woods. Good longevity, linear, but honestly - I can´t stop thinking that if I tried this as new Avon fragrance, I´d thought it was great combination of those coconut and vanilla scented car freshener trees (BAUM:)
So far, nothing beated discontinued Bourbon Vanilla extract oil from L'Occitane yet.
Vanilla lovers will probably enjoy this.

riverbank
riverbank

This has been my 'go to' scent for the past two years after I walked into my local Perfume Shoppe and explained that while I loved anything 'woody' I often found myself attracted to Vanilla too, even though I'm not that fond of 'sweet'. "Un Bois Vanille" was my first perfume from Serge Lutens and I imagine that there will always be a bottle of it on my shelf. While I often wear more intense scents, this one could have been designed for me.

lovepie
lovepie

OMG! I love this! It is lurking sweet, it is playful, it is like childhood in a bottle, but in a pretty one!

andabri
andabri

This is so deliciously complex.

When I wear it is literally a mix of all of the following notes:
-smoke
-vanilla
-maple syrup
-wood
-resin

The smoke is particularly heavy with my chemistry. It has a warm, thick, dark sweet quality. It's very potent; not projection wise, but potent in the sense of the myriad of strong, intense notes that hit your nose.

kasslee
kasslee

This is the vanilla I've been looking for :)
I'm not a big fan of the powdery 'marshmallow' vanillas, they are just too sickly sweet.

This is just perfect, beginning with the scent of coconut and a little liquorice, then becoming a smoky & woody vanilla - as though someone is baking cookies over a campfire.
It has depth and it lingers forever on my skin. Incredibly warm and comforting.
Love this, a new favourite.

Glarnere
Glarnere

Delicious, sweet and comforting vanilla. So wonderful!

nathalie87

i like the scent... but i hate the fact that it smells like wonderbaum, the vanilla kind.. :-(

srt33
srt33

another almond, vanilla pairing. its got a good amount of coconut, and some dryness from benzoin. there are also hints of musk and sandalwood. slight projection, mediocre longevity. this one just skates to much on the feminine side of things for me

june7rose
june7rose

I've worn this in the past. It's the definition of a "grown up" vanilla with the addition of wood, smoke, coconut, and beeswax. Unfortunately I have a bad memory association of wearing it while dating a not-so-nice guy, so I doubt I'll wear it again, but it is very well made.

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

Usually, I shy away from vanilla and other sweet notes.
My experience with them during the years was always heartbreaking, as many of the scents that smelt great bottled became sickly/sticky/stinky on my skin.

I approached this perfume with great curiousity and greater hesitation, and gladly was very pleasantly surprised.

This is sweet, indeed. Vanilla, coconut, honey, hardly any sweet notes left out.
And yet - this is classy, mellow, gentle, close to the skin. All the sweetness, with no skunk!

I wore it to work and it gave me great pleasure every time I burried my nose in my wrist, but I felt very much in my skin, and it wasn't in the least offending to my surroundings.
Will enjoy it a lot during winter time.

Longevity is moderate, sillage light.

ynde
ynde

Definitely a vanilla for adults. Starts off sultry, smoky vanilla, a hint of licorice. As it morphs over time, the vanilla is ever present, but the other notes fade in and out so they all get their turn - licorice first, then honey sweetness, coconut, and finally a sandalwood/tonka accord in the drydown. Not sickly in any way. A pleasant, warm, wintery vanilla.

becuille
becuille

Reading the reviews here, my chemistry must just not work with this fragrance at all. All I get is a linear vanilla. That's it. It's boring to me.

The list of scents used are all favourites of mine so I was excited to try this, but was disappointed.

It actually reminds me of The Body Shop's vanilla perfume (which is about a tenth of the price). It's a nice enough vanilla, clean and simple, but I just couldn't pay Serge Lutens prices for something that's so very basic on my skin.

I'm so jealous of all you reviewers who got more from this because your descriptions sound lovely!

I got about 5-6 hours longevity with very soft sillage. It definitely hasn't usurped Atelier Cologne's Vanille Insensee from my top vanilla spot.

julieekerr
julieekerr

wow this is very vanilla. but sophisticated. lovely balance of powdery vanilla and suede leather with coconut sandalwood touches. not too sweet so could be worn by a man too. I can see why some may consider it an expensive sun tan lotion smell but it definitely offers more. a nice change from my usual floral

celticelle
celticelle

Toasted marshmallows around the campfire! This is a delicious gourmand scent for a day when you slip on your favorite comfortable clothes like a worn leather jacket. For a day when you don't want to smell exciting or overtly sexy or sophisticated. Just sweet and simple and fresh. This was actually a blind buy that I loved.

I read a blog review that this may have been reformulated after 2011, so I no doubt got a post-2011 bottle. Supposedly the coconut is gone from the original formula and musk has been amped up. I did notice quite a bit of musk in the drydown, not so much in the initial hours, and minimal coconut. I think if you want a more caramel coconut fragrance the Lutens Jeux de Peau would be a better bet. I think the Vanille smells a little more like a perfume, whereas with Jeux de Peau I just smell like a lovely pastry...which is not bad. Just depends on what you want.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

I recall Turin's review about this fragrance, and being a fan of traditional coffee making, I must disagree with the "coffee roasting" note he smells here. I don't get it. I get coffee, but not that much and surely not "roasty". All I smell is a bold, kind of soothing and powdery scent of tanning cream, just less creamy and more flowery, but definitely a seaside madeleine (not in the "iodine" sense; more "lying on the beach"). The main structure here is fairly complex and interesting, as I get both a flower and aerial accord blended with a more dense, edible accord of liquorice, coffee, and vanilla. Beautiful, delicate, elegant sandy drydown.

dyst_opiates
dyst_opiates

I just adore this one. It is all those things I like- vanilla, but with depth and sultriness. It still manages to be light, though, somehow. The wood and spice adds oomph to the soft vanilla, and makes it sexy rather than girly. It isn't just another boringly sweet, bland vanilla bomb. It's complex and layered, and beautifully balanced. The wood notes come out more strongly later.

It lasts only moderately well on me, and the sillage is quite light. You won't annoy anyone with this scent.

It reminds me a bit of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Midway, actually, though the wood notes are not in Midway.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

If you could somehow make a pillow and mattress out of my grandmother's angel food cake instead of out of Temperfoam, and then sleep under something warm and light, like a down comforter in a white cover, you would get this scent. Delicious and comforting.

chrisndema
chrisndema

Cannot stop sniffing my wrist......so nice and warm and comforting. The combo of vanilla and liquorice is da bomb......my new love!!!!!!

darksome
darksome

The recipe for success:
- true non-synthetic smoky vanilla
- raw and natural licorice taming the sweetness and density of the vanilla (I'm normally a licorice hater)
- creamy smooth coconut milk

P.S.: It indeed has a (realistic raspberry/marshmallow?) finish that reminds a little on D&G Pour Femme, but it's rawer, smokier, darker.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

A mouth-watering, honeyed, milky gourmand. The vanilla-coconut-honey accord is piercingly sweet and backed by woody incense. This is in contrast to a cloying gourmand like Pink Sugar, where the sweetness is enveloping, comforting and infantile.

The slight edge on Un Bois Vanille makes me think of D&G Pour Femme and JPG's Classique. Talk about a far-off, third-removed cousin. There's no powder here, unlike in Classique. But I can see them both being worn by the same type of stylish, cute girl. Un Bois obviously being the bigger indulgence, the weaker link noshing on marshmallows.

penguin1010
penguin1010

As a fan of vanilla perfumes, I pretty much knew I'd like this going in, and I was not disappointed. It's a warm, earthy vanilla, with that smell of marshmallows being roasted over a fire. I didn't get much of the almond or honey, and the coconut really only came out in the drydown. It lasted on me about 6 hours, and sat very close to my skin the entire time. While I really enjoyed this scent, for me it wasn't different enough from the Prada Candy which I already own to justify buying a full bottle at this time. When/if I finish my bottle of Candy, this will be a contender for replacement along with the Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande, which I tried before and loved.

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

I really love vanilla scented perfumes and this one smells delicious. My husband bought this for me in NYC and I was so excited because it was my first Serge Lutens! If that wasn't enough after I told the sales lady that I was taking one my husband told me to pick another one out! Omg!! I was going crazy with happiness of owning two Serge Lutens and so I chose Chergui, also a wonderful perfume.

ScentedPianist
ScentedPianist

Un Bois Vanille is one of the sweetest perfumes I've tried. However, it's perfectly balanced, therefore never cloying. It's also the first Serge Lutens I've tried in my skin.

It has everything a gourmand lover would adore: the dark smokey vanilla, the juicy and sticky honey, the creamy coconut and the delicious licorice. If you're a gourmand lover, run and grab a sample as soon as possible, as this might be your new love.

What makes the difference in this perfume and distinguishes it from other gourmands are the extremely noticeable woody notes. And that's what keeps this perfume from being a sweet, almost cloying mess. It keeps it balanced and nausea-relieving.

It's an absolute comfort and a great pleasure to wear this during the coldest days. If you're at home, go and wrap yourself in warm blankets and go to the fireplace. Drink hot chocolate, and apply this one. When you have to work and need to face a rainy, grey day, nothing better than this dark delicious woody caramelized honeyed vanilla to warm you up. It will not be intrusive to others, as its sillage is never too loud (which is good). Its longevity, however, is great.

I would definitely buy a full bottle of this one. One of my favorite warm-cookie smokey and woody vanillas (perhaps the only one I know haha). Thank you for the decant, Bettany :)

hanson26
hanson26

I'm a big vanilla fan, and recently started making my journey in niche vanilla fragrances, mainly because of all the raves about them. From the reviews I've read, they're supposed to be so much better than any designer vanilla based perfumes that you can find at the dept. store (which got me interested, because some of my absolute favorite fragrances are designer vanilla ones). So far, that hasn't held true. I was promised "the one" by reviews for Indult Tihota and what I got was an astronomically priced Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace. Hermes Vanilla Galante was nice, but way too light. I was starting to get discouraged, but then I tried Un Bois Vanilla. It's actually funny, because this is the one I was prepared not to love, but noooo. This is divine! I get mostly vanilla, the other notes are definitely present, but they don't take over. The coconut in this is toasty and milky at the same time, but not even close to the sunscreen variety. It smells like real coconut flakes on some incredible vanilla dessert. I don't get a prominent licorice note, everything else is just kind of soft, warm, background noise. It reminds me so much of a dessert I had once, I can't remember the name, but it's delicious, and I'm not generally a huge fan of gourmands. I have to disagree with many of the reviews that say it is too sweet, I really don't think it is. I mean, of course it's sweet, but it has a soft milkiness to it that keeps it from being overwhelmingly so. Delicious and comforting, my favorite SL thus far.

Yeah I echo the reviews below really, Un bois vanille is one sweet fragrance!
It has a depth though which I find very interesting and keeps it from being just another quality, niche vanilla.
Christopher Sheldrake is a genius at putting complementary notes together and what a list in here surrounding vanilla with coconut and almond. The licorice plays an important role of keeping the sweetness at bay.
A well balanced vanilla and yet another great fragrance from Serge Lutens.

Contessa01
Contessa01

This is one sweet fragrance! I like it but it is intense. It's like a ramped up hanae mori butterfly. I am not sure I would wear it much given its intensitiy I could see it growing tiresome as scents like that tend to do to me. I noticed also it stays close to the skin and doesn't project much.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

overly sweet which is not balanced by the smoky element. ends up being similar to burnt marsmallow not terrible but nothing close to serges earlier iconically unique offerings

agentj
agentj

This is my first test of an SL scent, so I was really looking forward to being "wowed". I wasn't. This is a nice, inoffensive vanilla with powdery almond that dries down to a little vanilla and musk on me. It does have reasonable staying power, like 3-4 hours. The vanilla here reminds me of the one in Vanille Incensee, and the powdery almond IMO must be what's making this more "mature" than I want in my vanilla. And I mean like a little vanilla layered over old lady smell type of mature... I'm not that good at notes yet, so while I don't want to offend anyone's experience with this perfume, it just isn't for me. Still searching for the perfect vanilla...

LaLin64
LaLin64

An utterly SUPERB fragrance.Serge Lutens (& Christopher Sheldrake)
have created a niche fragrance that is IMHO the perfection of Vanilla& coconut (along w/ all the other marvelous ingredients in this).
It has Excellent longevity(on me), can be worn by men & woman without contradiction. It can be worn in Any season, day or night; dressed up or down.
This fragrance is a relative sleeper- w/ very few youtube reviews. The few that exist are the reason(along w/ fragrantica & basenotes) i purchased this Gem. In addition, it is one of the most afordable Niche frags out there.
Can't say enough good things about this- so i'll stop here.
Semper Fi & Peace

le8159
le8159

I absolutely adore this fragrance and I can imagine it being in my perfume collection for the next 5 years.. I love vanilla in scents but often not as the main note and rather to give a softness or creamyness to a fragrance. This vanilla has an edge given to it by the liquorice which I normally despise. It is sweet but avoids candylike territory. I find it luxurious, extremely comforting and definitely a grown up vanilla. If I want to smell really special on a winter's day I'll use a couple of spritzes of this (which lasts all day) layered over a spray of Iso E super in perfumers alcohol which I bought online as a much cheaper alternative to molecule 01. The result is divine.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Coconut and vanilla heaven.

The licorice plays a brilliant role in toning down the sweetness and adding a slightly bitter aura around the scent. Sandalwood joins forces to balance things even more.

2-3 sprays on the chest is all you need and it will last all day. Spray too much and it will suffocate you.

One of my favorite gourmands and arguably my favorite Serge Lutens.

Aleksandja
Aleksandja

I love coconut, but really earthy tropical coconut that you encounter when you eat the fruit, instead of what you get in tanning lotion.

I also love Vanilla, but the combination here, on my skin atleast, leaves something to be desired. After a couple hours I can enjoy this perfume, but for the first hour or so, it really makes me sick. The coconut reacts with the vanilla in a way that made me nauseous. It gets caught in the back of my throat and feels sharp and medicinal, akin to Russian brandy.

Like I said, after a few hours I catch myself smelling something subtle and sweet.. but I don't want t have to sit through the overpowering, medicinal qualities before I get to (somewhat) enjoy the drydown.

laurie047
laurie047

Got it and have been loving it since the first spray!! Very yummy but not artificial. Sweet but not over sweet. Can't help sniffing my wrist :)

Cams
Cams

This is a delightfully luscious fragrance - it starts of powerfully but overtime develops into a smooth and creamy vanilla fragrance. Just divine.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

Un Bois Vanille is one of the most easily wearable Serge Lutens I have come across. It is a sugary vanilla, but it has lovely undertones which keep it from becoming just another vanilla fragrance. It is blended with licorice which and guaiac wood which gives it a smokiness that I love. Guaiac is great when its blended with a sweeter notes! There is a tiny bit of coconut lingering in the background, I have to really taking a good sniff to pick up on it. The longer you wear this fragrance it starts warping into a soft woody fragrance. Un Bois Vanille becomes a soft slightly sweet sandalwood in the drydown.

I quite like this fragrance, its quite wearable and is not overly sweet to my nose. Its also what I would call a sweater scent for me, it great for when you want to feel warm and cozy. Un Bois Vanille does not have much of a sillage but more of intimate scent. If you give a hug to someone they are bound to smell it on you. On my own skin it last quite a long time I can smell it on myself for about 5 hours before it becomes an extremely light skin scent.

I would suggest this fragrance to anyone who it on the hunt for a lovely gourmand vanilla fragrance that is sweet with a twist and is not overly gourmand.

What bothers me most in the scent is that underlying smokey /boozy vibe, like burned wood, with sweet marshmallows on top of it,like Lutens likes to mix different even opposite notes, might work for some, not so much for me I admit. There are other vanilla scents I find more harmonious, and overall more wearable.The balsamic vibe also bothers me, but Lutens rarely works for me, so no big surprise.
It is an edgy vanilla , certainly not bad at all, it will have its cult followers I am sure.

nyalta77
nyalta77

As with many others here, I am searching for the "perfect" vanilla scent. I love The Body Shop Vanilla Oil, much like member PricklyandHot, which is now unfortunately discontiued. It was my signature fragrance back in the early 00's. I wore it when I met my "first true love", but when that relationship ended, to my great displeasure:( I stopped wearing and buying the fragrance. I hope they will find sense to bring it back again one day. Back to un bois vanille, to me, initial impression was a very similar assault to my senses that I had experienced before, and not in a good way. Demeter Sugar Cookie instantly came to mind, I remember feeling the same level of disappointment which was strange because when i smelt the spray nozzle, I bought a used bottle, I could indeed identify the sandalwood and vanilla, I was in disbelief. Sugar Cookie smells exactly as it should but I was drawn in by the thought of vanilla, it is not really a vanilla scent. I have also had a sample of Louve before and to be honest, I am not a fan of almond scents at all. I can't stand cherry coke either, why it does not taste like cherries?? Very misleading. This perfume leaves impressions of both Sugar Cookie and Louve, to some degree, for me. As with Louve I guess I didnt get what I was hoping for, maybe I just have a vivid imagination. Now, Shewolf by SmellBent, that was what I had pictured, a feral femme fatale, not a lamb in a wolf costume!! So un bois vanille is supposed to follow the same fate? The only way I can describe that "fate" is an impressionistic bourgeoise interpretation of vanilla, that I do not much care for. Raw, unadulterated, thats what I want!! I think I have learnt my lesson with SL perfume, I hope I have anyway. I will not be "fooled" again by a dangling carrot. Also, Vanilla fields was a fragrance I enjoyed in the past too, I feel they have the same soft quality but is truer to the name "vanilla" than un bois de vanille. On the plus side, it smells great on my husband:)

Update: The licorice is a dominating feature in the opening, along with beeswax and bitter almond. These notes blend together creating an alluring aura. The coconut milk and vanilla combination creates the feel of a gourmand scent, which I would liken to Krispie biscuits. Throughout the perfume the 'vanillaness' is amplified with benzoin and tonka bean. The base notes of woods add to the softness and velvety smoothness of the perfume. A uniquely comforting scent that I would say is more for the pleasure of the wearer than the observer.

AnaIli35
AnaIli35

This was a very successful blind buy! Based on the reviews,its numerous mentions on the boards, and as a vanilla scent lover I knew I had to have it. A sweet vanilla with a creamy,floral quality (I think it's the coconut that lends the scent this quality). To me, the coconut is more sweet floral than suntan lotion, although there are no floral notes. The licorice is noticeable but subtle and thankfully not prominent as I do not care for it in perfumes. Beautiful, well-blended scent that's perfect for any occasion or season, in my opinion.

Update: I wish the sillage and longevity were better; I can barely smell it on myself or clothing 2-3 hours later. This is way too expensive to continuously reapply.

blauriche
blauriche

To me the main notes are sandalwood and vanilla. It comes across as a relatively mild scent, but amazingly it seems to last forever on my skin, which I wouldn't have expected from such a light scent.

I can see that there's something rounding it out which is a sort of beeswax and coconut milk accord and another accord that smells to me like almond/benzoin/tonka, but I really don't get much of the licorice, which is just as well since I don't like licorice. It is pretty sweet though, and it smells very much like food. It's an odd thing to walk around all day smelling like a bakery, but not an unpleasant thing, especially as the weather is cooling down.

First time I tried this fragrance it seemed to me truly vanilla, second time - more complex fragrance but the vanilla went to plastic like it happens sometimes with truly vanilla scent, not sugar vanilla powder.

Not long ago I wanted a lot a truly vanilla fragrance. So I decided to try this one as I was impressed by the first test. And likely I tried it, because buying it without it would become a mistake. Reviews that this fragrance becomes candish worried me. Unfortunately, it's really so( At the third and the best testing the vanilla quickly went to candy((( I was very disappointed. So I have to continue enjoy the vanilla by The Body Shop, because I still can't find anything more truly. But I would love to! And less light:)

Candy instead of vanilla. I'm upset(

NiceVULady
NiceVULady

I didn't like this fragrance at all. It smelled plastic like and burnt, but not in a good way, and unpleasant all the way through. To me, the coconut smelled synthetic and was way too pronounced. I also love vanilla fragrances and was so looking forward to this one, but I was so disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting, but this certainly wasn't it. I would not wear this again.

luvthat
luvthat

I could be in love. I always like and crave vanilla...but nothing ever is quite right. I thought for sure I'd found my perfect vanilla when I finally got my Spiriteusse Double Vanille. But, once I had a bottle of that...it was just too much: too manly, too strong, too everything.
I was afraid I would not like Un Bois Vanille because I usually hate coconut in perfume. Well I just received my bottle and I am loving it! Dry, smoky, not sickeningly sweet. Cozy, soft,and cuddly. Time will tell if this is truly a winner for me!

TillyWave
TillyWave

I'm not a SL expert, but I think that this offering UBV is a very accessible perfume. It does what is says it will: it's a woody vanilla.
OK it's more than that: It's a vanilla with a strong undertone of musk, wood, incense, and a hint of smoke--it's very beautiful. It's also has non-sweetened gourmand notes: almonds, vanilla, coconut. Those wishing for cupcakes, cake, and pie will be disappointed, as these are the raw, fresh ingredients presented here.
Practical facts, it wears mostly as a skin scent, it lasts 4-6 hours, and it is really linear--if you like/dislike it at first spray, that's probably how you'll feel 4 hours in.
I have a hit and miss record with SL (Datura Noir was really horrific on me) but this is a keeper.
Edit: I just read Messier's review, and I couldn't disagree more, this is really not a challenging scent at all, I find it really simple, linear, and easily likable, just a difference in preference or chemistry I guess.

MiuMiuKitten
MiuMiuKitten

I had a little sample of this. I wanted to love it because of the vanilla, however it's not really as foody as I wanted it to be. I get a strong note of resin, as well as woodsy/smoky notes and beeswax which stop me from really enjoying this scent.

messier42
messier42

This was unpleasant. Burnt vanilla. Not burnt in the oven, rather a burnt vanilla scented car freshener.
No development on me and didn't last long. Way overpriced. Only recommended for those that feel they are living on the edge by wearing a 'challenging' scent. I just don't get it.

jht4060
jht4060

Un Bois Vanille is an unusual smoky take on vanilla, masterfully done as usual by Sheldrake and Lutens. With notes like vanilla, tonka, honey, licorice, almond, and coconut you would expect this to be a sweet gourmand, which is indeed its takeoff point. But a relatively moderate sweetness combined with a light smoky note and a sharp (not sweet) honey edge send it off into some other place that only a talented perfumer would imagine. Some wood and a little musk in the base provide another facet. If you expect a comforting gourmand vanilla you might not like this, but if you like surprising scent combinations you probably will love it.

A vanilla that any man could wear, and one of my favorite fragrances.

bacall
bacall

Absolutely divine! Everything I want my fragrance to be and more! Charming, refined, mysterious, and sweet enough to eat! Dangerously delicious!

LoveForYMCMB
LoveForYMCMB

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances that has passed through my skin.

red gloves
red gloves

This is incredible yummy, gorgeous fragrance! I love it and I finished my sample bottle very quickly!

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

I'm horrified at the thought of bashing anyone's beloved Un Bois Vanille, but I must be honest here. I was so disappointed. I am obsessed with vanilla; probably more so than most people. I am always on the hunt for a special vanilla and due to the rave reviews, I had to try this one. I also love coconut. In fact, my husband regularly makes fun of me for my coconut obsession. But for me, this perfume just doesn't work. The vanilla would be nice by itself, the coconut was okay and might have been alright alone, but together it was a cacophonous assault on my senses. I felt like I was torn between two worlds- one where I am dusting on a silky body powder in front of my vanity and one where I'm slathering sunscreen on at the beach and picking sand out of my bathing suit. It was just too much. It felt very artificial and chemical on my skin and there was never a point where the vanilla became one with my skin. I was literally a click away from ordering this one instead of Ambre Sultan and I'm sooo glad I chose Ambre Sultan instead, which I find very nice. I guess I'm really just not getting along with SL right now :( I also tried Santal de Mysore and was not impressed by being hit upside the head with a bag full of curry powder. Oh well. On to the next one....

EDIT: I have to echo Eos's sentiments regarding this perfume as well. (Although I didn't want to come off quite as "harsh" ;)) They seem to agree with my own feelings: "Candy floss, melting plastic and soap. It resulted in an instant headache and the urge to rinse my mouth out repeatedly to remove the cloying, gag inducing coating that this perfume created. After reading all the glowing reviews talking about this amazing vanilla with smokey and woody facets I am sorely disappointed that this is what Un Bois Vanille turned out smelling like on my skin."

meama
meama

119)Vanilla in your face!
disturbing Perfume like entering in a club of pipe smokers. It is an aggressive sweetness that gives me a headache like breathing amid the fog of fragrant tobacco.
This is not just a vanilla flavored tobacco (there is also no tobacco here), it is still heavy by coconut oil, honey, tonka bean, almond and musk.
One time is enough, I never imagined such a possible excess is among the most decadent and violent "sweet" fragrance I know.
well composed (as always) and good longevity

Parfum perturbant, comme entrer dans un club de fumeurs de pipe. C'est une douceur agressive qui me donne mal à la tête comme respirer au milieu de ce brouillard de tabac parfumé.
Ce n'est pas seulement un tabac aromatisé à la vanille(il n'y a d'ailleurs pas de tabac ici), il est encore alourdit d'huile de noix de coco, de miel, de fève Tonka, d'amandes et de musc.
Un moment c'est trop, je n'imaginais pas un tel excès possible, c'est parmis les parfums "doux" le plus décadent et violent que je connaisse.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Interesting combination of notes - but unfortunately that clean "femme" musk really sucks the life out of this scent. This vanilla-clean/powdery musk combination ruins so many female scents from me, I think that the vanillic sweetness + intense soapy muskiness is one of the most cloying combinations there is.

(Add some killer florals to that and I'll run...)

aiobhan
aiobhan

First spray: Smoky carmel, vanilla, some spice.

Drydown: Vanilla begins showing up more, along with the benzoin and coconut milk.

Two hours later: Scent is soft, dark vanilla, with sweet caramel and tonka bean undertones. Occasionally the coconut milk and licorice make an appearance, but really this smells like a very classy creme brulee.

I would reccommend this fragrance to sweet, creamy gourmand lovers, definitely.

Smunky
Smunky

Pleasant vanilla fragrance with extremely weak longevity (2 hours or less) and no sillage to speak of. I was expecting a lot more considering the price of a bottle, and am happy I only shelled out the money for a very small decant. For those of you who get great longevity from it, I'm quite jealous, as it really is a nice, smooth vanilla.

BRIECHEESE1188
BRIECHEESE1188

I was hoping by the name that this would be a woody fragrance with a hint of vanilla; however, it is a dollop of sugary vanilla with just a bit of woods in the background. I used to think I liked gourmands, but as I try more of them, I'm finding that they are usually too dense, too foody for me. Finally, in my opinion, beeswax does not belong in the world of perfumes, because I'm always left with the impression that I smell more like a nice-smelling candle than a nice-smelling woman.

aveilhe
aveilhe

A soft, sweet, milky gourmand with notes of honey, nuts, and caramelly Tonka. Very comforting and well-suited for fall and winter. Despite its niche status, this is not a particularly challenging or distinctive fragrance: it's a fragrance for those who like the edible quality of gourmands but don't want their fragrance to scream teeny-bopper or candy. If I had to compare this to a dessert, I would say it is reminiscent of a simple white cake or a creamy tart. Sweet but not toothache-inducing.

freddinos
freddinos

I have mixed feelings about Un Bois Vanille, perhaps because it comes from a grand perfume house and I was expecting a lot. On me it starts off like a slightly over-baked vanilla petit beurre biscuit, definitely gourmand. This component is still there all the way through, but gradually disippates a little and gives way to very light woody notes (sandalwood) mixed with licorice. There is coconut, yes, but not overpowering to my nose (I'm a coconut enthusiast so don't take my word on it though!)Throughout the perfume there is a 'cool' note (the beeswax? a hint of vetiver?) that prevents it from becoming too buttery gourmand.
After a couple of hours (and an extra spray I must admit) I find it quite overwhelming and it has started giving off a synthetic medicinal sweetness. A bit too much, so next time only one spritz it will be.

Eos
Eos

MaddieClfd
MaddieClfd

I was testing SL fragrances in a posh department store. I think £40-50 a bottle it was. I read about SL and I was fascinated and sooo wanted to try these.
I sprayed this one and I instantly decided - i was having it.
I should have waited for the fragrance to develop before paying, but well... It was a few years back and I still have 95% left in a bottle. It is overall a nice fragrance. Nice, not amazing, not special - nice. Why don't I wear it then, well, there is something in this composition that is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. Not sure what... Something breaks the nice, cosy, cotton candy lije sweetness on me. That comes out quite quick? After I've noticed it for the first time, I always smell it now.
Others like it on me...

Projection is ok, lasting power too.

I remember the lady at the counter gave me lots and lots of samples, pretty much every SL frag available then. That was well nice, but I never went back for another niche perfume.
I much prefer my mainstream ones ;)

raw umber
raw umber

tres leches with dual ribbons of anise and smoke. UBV was intended to meld with the pre-existing natural scent of a person, not to exist in a vacuum. The result is subtle and remarkable. Not a straight vanilla, but more like expressionist vanilla, like the type of chaos found in nature. I agree with jtd that the vanilla here is dusty yet taut, and with another member who described it as ambrosial. Somehow, it just works.

BonniBrooke
BonniBrooke

Such a lovely scent! My first big spendy perfume, which I bought on the Champs-Elysees in Paris as a souvenier in 07. I use this often in autumn and winter and sometimes mix with Burberry Brit for a sophisticated edge when its vanilla warmness is a bit too sweet for me. This may sound strange, but I actually really like wearing this scent all on its own to relax before bed. Its coziness is something to behold!

soonflower
soonflower

It's absolutely different vanilla scent than many others ...it's smoky, I mean really really smoky.
The aroma isn't extremely sweet and gourmand like others vanilla scents mostly are.

First spray and I was totally shocked. The scent was more oriental than I thought. It was dark, woody, and smoky. Bitter almond gives it slighlty bitter edges.
After about half an hour the aroma transorms radically into slightly sweet, dark vanilla-licorice-beeswax smell.
That part is amazing, it's not an obvious vanilla smell - it's bold and rich.
The beeswax note gives it a nice waxy, little sticky and animalic kick which I like a lot.

Un Bois Vanille in the drydown is woody again.

It's suerly a very complex, contrary variation about vanilla.

rutaj
rutaj

this smell embodies everything I dislike about vanilla- it is edible in a cooky way and syrupy sweet. Well done, but meant to feed instead of just giving smell.

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

Blind buy for me. Could have bought a jar of honey instead ,pour it all over myself and pretend I love it.
Well.... Trying hard not to regret the expense.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

I admit i totally misjudged this scent, perhaps because i was clouded by all the other scents i sprayed before. This is very lovely now! Smells like pure toffee candy..not too sweet but perfect. FB worthy!

Violettera
Violettera

This vanilla is woody and creamy. There is also a coconut twist. It's not over-sweet, not girlish. It covers my body with a warm sensation but unfortunately lasts less than other Serge Lutens perfumes.

jtd
jtd

Vanilla is a key component to both the contemporary dessert/gourmand and the classic amber oriental. Vanilla is almost inescapable in perfumery, but it’s usually found in the familiar company of labdanum, balsams, resins, spices or ethylmaltol in the above genres. It takes effort to dissociate it from the foody, cuddly feel. Despite its brief plastic/cotton-candy camouflage topnote (wonderful!), un Bois Vanille does just this. After the foody misdirection, BV avoids the expected. The tease of edibility shows itself as a licorice note, not cotton candy. The licorice also keeps BV from going the amber/oriental route since the genre is almost by definition warm, round, thick. Licorice here comes off as anise-like not candy-like. It’s cool and focussed and it brings out vanilla’s sharp, bitter side, making it more potent than plush.

After the expansive opening the heartnotes are fairly quiet, with a dry, airy feel that I would think to associate with frankincense, not vanilla. By drydown BV is dusty but still taut, reinforcing the point that vanilla can be strong and direct without being lush. BV stays cool as it winds down and resists becoming a skin-scent, further bucking a vanilla stereotype.

BV solves a problem for me. One of very few in perfume fan-dom, I don’t like Caron’s Pour un Homme. The lavender/vanilla combo has no synergy and reminds me of the feel of a stuffy head. In BV, the cool side of the licorice fuses with the vanilla in a way that I imagine Pour un Homme’s minty lavender and vanilla combo works for the rest of the world.

Dittnergirl
Dittnergirl

Warm, but not spicy. Think hot amaretto, baking sugar cookies, honey in sweet tea, melted butter. A hint of soft poweder and orange zest. The listed main accords were dead on for this one. It was strong and dense the first 2 hours, then softened down close to the skin. Extremely pleasurable.

persefoni
persefoni

What a wonderful woody-milky vanilla! Unlike any vanilla i've tried so far! Sheer pleasure to wear, and i actually don't like vanilla perfumes, they always give me a headache! This one is a different story, though.. my 11-year-old nephew was so enchanted, he asked for the bottle!

-trivia: Lutens pamphlet has slightly different ingredients:
Body: Sandalwood, Gaiac wood, almond paste.
Subtlety: Crystals, Mexican black vanilla absolute, Tuscan iris powder, liquorice, beeswax, styrax.
Sweetness: Coconut milk, Tonka bean, powdered musk, rose.

jemma
jemma

I am happy to share my impressions of my new acquisition Un Bois Vanille SL! As always fired blindly, just as described, and the first breath startled me-I felt pretty intense pepper: shock:, a note in which I run .. But that still have to wait and after about 15-20 minutes the flavor softened pepper disappeared, creating a wonderful combination of vanilla and coconut! perfume is well visible, loops, vanilla is very sensual, discreet and in no way annoying sweet and possessive! I feel it better when driving for more than seven hours! I love it! : wiz:

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

Such a wonderfully warm fragrance, sends me straight to a vanilla-coconut-benzoin cloud 9! :) Luscious, creamy, complex, not too sweet, just a buttery vanilla perfection!

I think I am in love!! Definitely a bottle in my future. Adding to the top shelf of me want list. :))

Just tried it again with Jo Malone Red Roses --- oooh sooo gooood! mmm...

Bettany87
Bettany87

Oh, yum! Yes, that's what I actually said after I first got a whiff of the scent from my wrist. I got the sweetness of the vanilla and rich coconuts right away. Good enough to eat! Then the woody notes started appearing, balancing out the lusciousness of the sweet notes. This is more complex than the regular vanilla cupcake fragrances out there ... this definitely would smell delicious on the opposite sex, too. After about an hour a sensual smokiness emerges that is just so captivating, giving it that masculine kick yet soft enough to stay ambiguous. The dry down on my skin remained creamy, sensuous and unbelievably ambrosial.

Wwendalynne
Wwendalynne

Not for me, this treacly hot mess of a scent. I cannot get past the sticky, gooey, melting in the sun black licorice notes which have been supersized to epic 'punch in the face' proportions. My sourpuss body chemistry doesn't make it any happier. For me, this gourmand is better left on the table.

Redlipstick
Redlipstick

A sophisticated gourmand. Lots of thick, creamy, sweet vanilla, tonka bean, some sandalwood and benzoin. I get only a small amount of coconut and no liquorice, thank goodness! The sweet creaminess is nicely balanced with the woodsy notes. Very moreish - can't stop sniffing myself with this one.

Pricey but beautiful if you like gourmands.

gracep
gracep

I don't know if it's my skin or what, but this fragrance left me completely underwhelmed. On the paper tester, this smelled like a pretty nice vanilla (tbh, it was nothing I hadn't smelled before in cheaper versions--a very sweet, plain vanilla kind of smell). On me, it smelled like a combination of sweet vanilla, rose, and baby powder, and basically nothing else. I'd tried it before now and just dismissed it as not really smelling good to me, but in my constant search for the perfect vanilla, I came back to it. Nah, still disappointing.

judyk
judyk

Gooey coconut caramel, tooth-achingly sweet! After a time I can make out some "bois" but not enough to make this work for me.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Thick and rich and really quite sweet. This is a vanilla scent with depth. When I smell it I think of vanilla, cream and dried fruits. It has a ripe quality which makes it interesting. The coconut here is more like real coconut shavings rather than the overly tropical synthetic coconut which usually abounds. It provides Un Bois Vanille with a milkiness that makes it smooth as well as tempering any sugariness that may try to sneak in. This wraps around you like a warm blanket. It's like sitting by a fire in the dead of winter while the ingredients are being dried out by the heat and the aroma is filling the house.
The projection is great and the staying power is too. A real treat to try.

summertimeolive
summertimeolive

Tried this recently and really wanted to love this. The licorice in this drives me up the wall. Hate it.
Its coconutty-vanilla-licorice. The dry down is nice, but initially it makes me kind of angry. Grateful for a sample, will not be purchasing!

perfumebox
perfumebox

Un Bois Vanille is the scent that first got me interested in the Serge Lutens line. I've been intrigued by its treacly-rich coconut-caramel feel for years, and finally bought a bottle almost 10 years after I first smelt it.

Un Bois Vanille is a vanilla-coconut bomb for me. It's very morish; maybe just a tad TOO heavy for the hot climate where I reside, since it's so linear and tenacious. If the "Bois" (Wood) part of the fragrance was more prominent, I would gladly wear it on its own. As things go though, I only use it for layering with other scents to add creaminess and warmth. (Try this under Bvlgari Black!) Just be careful to apply a minimal amount when layering because Un Bois Vanille is like an Angelfish; oh-so-pretty and harmless-looking, until it obliterates everything else.

On the flip side, the sillage and longevity is incredible in my experience. This has no problem holding its own in a marathon against Thierry Mugler's Angel. If you are on the market for a dark, rich, boozy, gourmand vanilla which is going to stay vanillic from the start to the end, this beats most others I've tried.

nero77
nero77

Being not used to the world of gourmands, I must admit this one took me by surprise by how sweet it was. Very much like toffee candy was my first impression, or vanilla fudge. This is the sweetest gourmand I have tried. I could see how this could be appreciated by many people. I myself would love to smell this on someone. However it is the very best kind of fragrance if sweet, sugary, cloying gourmands are your thing. To someone else this could be a masterpiece in that field. To me, it's just caramel toffee candy. But still it would smell nice on the right person, of that I'm sure.

JohnMc
JohnMc

Gorgeous, boozy, creme-brulee/vanilla/toffee scent from Serge. Thankfully my girlfriend and I both loved this one and we managed to share the ticket price - Yay!

Indulgent, sexy and sweet to the tooth!

tenderhearted

Wristsniffer ,you wonderful sweetheart,I thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me.

I agree with everything you said. Good for you,for boycotting cruelty too! :)

(In my eyes,There is no place for fur, except on animals. An animal's fur does not belong to humans.)

It is not your fault,that you did not know before you bought the perfume. These things are often hidden from us the consumer,with no consideration or warmth of emotion. Sad.

Peace Love and Hugs Wristsniffer

**Sorry all for this non review.These things need to be said.

Wristsniffer
Wristsniffer

Thanks for being brave enough to post your message about animal testing in your review, TENDERHEARTED. I own this scent, but it was purchased before I learned about the animal testing that's gone on at Shiseido (the Lutens sister company), and I've refrained from purchasing any other scents from the line because they haven't exactly stated - anywhere that I've read in my research - that animal testing has ceased. Animal torture is never a reasonable price to pay for beauty. I've also refrained from purchasing many scents released under haute couture designer-house brands because of the fur that's shockingly appeared in so many collections. What's wrong with the world?

This is a beautiful scent and I can't even recommend it to others because I don't support its purchase. Shame.

tenderhearted

Sorry but I will not even buy a sample of a Serge Lutens perfume, until he stops having them produced by a company that keeps cruelly testing on animals. Not sure if his perfumes themselves are tested on animals,but I do not trust him.Tragic.

I DO have a 100% cruelty free imitation of a 1/3 ounce perfume oil of this very scent. I simply adore it! :)

I have not smelled the original scent,nor will I. I am reviewing the imitation.

It is so creamy,sweet,exotic. Filled with the finest vanilla dreams,and the siren song of coconuts calling out in the balmy tropical weather.

The woods are deep,the scent is magic,the licorice sticks are here too,so gorgeous! This is a complex gourmand aroma.

Then there is the nightly scent of marshmallows melting,smoking on crackling fire. I can hear the ghost stories being told by the tents now. Make sure my marshamallows are vegan please! :) (yes they do make vegan ones ;)

This perfume oil is incredible! This is gourmand at it's candy confection finest! The layers do not topple each other. They are in sweet tandem,and this oil lasts a great 10 hours on my skin! :)

**Do not be shy to PM me for the imitation oil information. I love that this oil is very inexpensive too,as I do not want a tiny sample. I want a nice big bottle that I can afford. I am poor,and I would never be able to afford a Lutens (even if he was cruelty free). Please do not feel bad for me,as I am rich in love and happiness. :)

itsrachmang
itsrachmang

This is definitely an exquisite vanilla fragrance, but for me, I prefer it on paper. I'm actually wearing it right now (using a sample vial) and I'm actually get a bit of a headache from it. I love the burnt caramel/vanilla vibe I get from it, but not smelling it this close to me isn't working out.

Even though it doesn't work for me, I still think its a well done frag by SL - It's girly, sexy, gourmand, and delicious. I think on my skin, I actually prefer the dry down (after about 4 hours) better. Too bad it still gives me a headache.

hermyonee
hermyonee

now I really don't see a coco note in it! There is a warm, almost caramel- like note, but it comes from burned benzoin which is featured in it! the licorice note too is quite strong, and the sandalwood beneath; very warm, creamy, comfortable fragrance, but mostly for witer, here are the notes, if anyone knows how to add them on the list above ?
notes de tête
lait de coco, absolu vanille noire, cire d’abeille
notes de cœur
benjoin caramélisé, réglisse, pâte d’amande
notes de fond
bois de Gaiac, fève tonka, bois de santal

vdxl
vdxl

A very nice and spicy vanilla interpretation: both bitter and sweet, creamy and spicy. It is mouthwatering, it lasts a lot. The only drawback- you can find plenty of vanilla interpretations- Spiriteuse Double Vanille(Guerlain) and even Comptoir Sud Pacifique. I do love Lutens' vanilla, but I enjoy the CSP Vanille Abricot too.

glorious1
glorious1

I had just gotten this one and put it on. I didn't have it on an hour and someone stopped me and said ..."YOU smell GOOD!!" I smiled and said it was vanille. She said....OH! Anyway......if you ask me that's a thumbs up!!

fanny
fanny

This is vanilla, almost drowned by dominant other notes: booze (brandy?), licorice, woods and benzoine.
In the beginning the licorice rules, quickly followed by some boozy note and sharp woods. After that i can clearly detect beeswax.
In about 20 minutes Bois de Vanille becomes a warm black beeswax smokey vanilla with a remote hint of coconut.

Lovely in wintertime, mature and distinctive.

Edit march 23 2012
In warmer weather the coco is very dominant..!

alchimia72
alchimia72

The description here is uncomplete. It contains: Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean. I don't smell coconut at all. Gorgeus and yummy fragrance. The caramelized benzoin + vannilla are prevalent on my skin. very well done!

Carolinealgot
Carolinealgot

Why aren't vanilla listed as a note??

I'm curious how this compares to the vanillas i own: Yves Rocher Vanille Noire, Diptique Eau Duelle.

tbozzo
tbozzo

One of my all time favorites! Dark vanilla, not sweet but definitely rich and warm. This is similar to Prada Candy without the very sweet top notes. I would swear this has benzoin in it as well, though it's not listed in the notes. If you love vanilla, this is a must try.

Raina
Raina

This is pure, smokey, vanilla deliciousness. I'm always wary of both coconut and licorice because I find coconut tends to turn synthetic on my skin, and I just don't like licorice. But here, it works. Oh boy does it work.

The licorice here is smokey and almost medicinal, but not quite. Its a dark, leathery type of licorice that doesn't really announce itself the way you might find in Lolita Lempicka or Pink Sugar. This is subtle and smokey, and you might not even know it was licorice by it's smell. The coconut dances around the edges and serves to enhance and call attention to what might be a soft vanilla smell. The sandalwood is beautifully done, both a soft smokey wood to enhance the licorice, and a smooth and creamy sweetness to give the impression of vanilla. It's hard to tell which note is really the dominant one here, they're all blended so well.

Altogether, this makes for a sexy fragrance that's both sweet and smokey. It's a perfect balance of the two, with the sweetness being just a touch more stronger than the smokiness.

It's rather subtle and stays relatively close to the skin. If you find Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Guerlain SDV is too masculine or has too much booze, tobacco, and smoke, then this might be a good alternative for you. Though the vanilla here cannot compare to the vanillas in those two, the overall sweetness with a touch of smokiness idea is probably what might appeal.

cryptic
cryptic

How funny is it that vanilla, the most prominent note in Un Bois Vanille, isn't even included in the note pyramid? I think somebody's playing with our heads. Anyway, I can see how Maru8862 got a claustrophobic vibe from this fragrance. It will either strike you as a soft cashmere blanket of scent or smother you with the vanilla love. As with most of the Lutens, you have to sample first, because they provoke strong, love/hate feelings.

UBV is so much more than just a generic vanilla fragrance. There is a toasted almond note to make it interesting, and beeswax to add a rich creaminess. Although there's an anise/licorice note, it's not a screaming Twizzler's sort of thing, which would ruin this soft fragrance in my opinion. UBV is almost a skin scent on me, with minimal sillage, but it lasts forever, wrapping me up in warm coziness.

Trvevil
Trvevil

While it's a great scent, refined and quite smooth, I just expected more from this. I wanted depth and darkness of vanilla forest probably with some earthy notes or more resinous creature.

But at first it reminded me of vanilized Pink Sugar. Licorice took over in this composition and was very confident. Un Bois Vanille dries down very close to skin woody coconut + vanilla. After few hours it's just too faint for me, I expected it to be stronger. Overall, it's a nice find, but for me it's still just one of vanillas versions.

So why weren't I in love instantly and was left so indifferent? Well... I own Pink Sugar. And I'll say Pink Sugar ain't worse licorice cotton candy. Further, I also own CSP Vanille Coco. Which is coconut and vanilla scent. These two are massive, strong fragrances. So, following the logic, if you fancy something similar, but classier and/or less strong, Un Bois Vanille is a must try.

kokorauhan
kokorauhan

I wish I can buy a bottle of this but it's very expensive in my country :(
I love vanilla scents.
Sigh...

LaPetite
LaPetite

I'm REALLY NOT a Lutens fan usually , but this one was an immadiate : Damn wow !
YES a vanilla scent can be complex ! definitely .(i'm sure there is much more notes than those displayed)
I really love it , this is the first Lutens on my wishlist ! :-D

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Got this as a 1.5ml sample spray, so was able to apply it liberally, on about 3 or 4 occasions.

THIS is sweet. And since I have polar tastes ~ Hot, Dry, Spicy, Oriental (think Ambre Sultan or L'Air du Desert Marocain) on the one hand, or super sweet gourmand (like Angel and Elixir Charnel Gourmand Coquin, CK Euphoria or Estee Lauder's Sensuous Noir) on the other hand... this is right up my alley on the initial spray.

The drydown however transforms into a very thick amber. I know its not listed in the notes, but wow, the sweet really transforms, rather quickly, into amber, amber, amber. A little too much for my taste. So much so that it catches at the back of my throat/nasal area... like, when you've eaten too much honey... maybe its the beeswax I saw someone referring too.

Oh well.

Cheers!

Majesty
Majesty

Un Bois Vanille is the Lutens fragrance I like less..I had it and gave it and I did the right thing.Heavy on coconut and vanilla,very sweet a ''headache'' in a bottle sometimes for me.You need to have a really sweet tooth to enjoy this one!It is exotic,creamy,sugary coconut that stays and stays on all day.I believe that there are many coconut scents like this at the market.You might don't need this if you already have a coco-vanilla perfume.It's just plain coconut and vanilla on me.As I said the lasting power is enormous!!If you like sweet perfumes consider of it but still try before you buy especially if you are suffering from headaches or migraines!

kirsty the beauty
kirsty the beauty

wow beautiful sweet scent very vanilla smell i am quite suprised that the notes do not have vinalla in them but you can defently smell the coconut. it is a very strong scent and perfect for sweet people like me.

THIS IS NOW MY NEW FAVOURITE PERFUME

THANKYOU SERGE LUTENS FOR CREATING IT

XXXXXX

ameeba
ameeba

This fall I tested Prada Candy, and at first sniff I thought I would love it. However, its longevity and sillage disappointed me - in an hour i couldn't smell almost anything.

Then a few days ago I got a sample of SL Un Bois Vanille. And wow! It simply blew me away. Sweet, delicious vanilla, burnt sugar - this is what Prada Candy tried to imitate, but couldn't just get the quality right.

This is going to be my First Serge Lutens Perfume. I simply love it. <3

Printeza7
Printeza7

This is a pure liqueur fragrance!You could imagine that a drop of this sweet liqueur touched your wrist. It smells as an expensive bottle of very matured bottle of sweet alcoholic drink.Very thoughtful perfume, strong powerful smell! .

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

I always judged it by the drydown and it was like reading a book from the end. One guy said to me that he uses it very very sparingly, just tiny spots near his face, I thought it is so because he's a boy who carefully walks inside sweet vanilla debris. Now, with my own 1 ml sample, I understand why: at first the scent seems hardly tolerable, rather cloying with unpleasant evil licorice plus resin or something oppresive and this something is not (!) sweet at all. I met it on somebody like that and never recognized it on this unplesant stage.
In 1 hour or so it calms down and becomes pleasantly smokey - woody - slighly sweet, well, it goes like saying: Survived?! Let's be friends then. Some greetings from Chergui are also heard.
And only the very drydown what comes in 3 hours could be reminiscent of cozy confectionery.

Addition: Finally, I got the clue where is the chocolate, Luca Turin is so enthusiastic about. It lies behind that shocking therapy within the first hour. When I sprayed it the other day being in a challenging mood, I got flattering friendship with serious-looking (not smiley) maestro-chocolatier. Where had he been before?! In an hour or so when the scent calms down, the dark chocolate becomes something à la crème and that’s exactly what I like about Chergui - pls note, some see only the wallpaper of hay in there, well, after all it’s Lutens- Intel monitor. :))

truffles
truffles

Thank you to ekati for the kind gift of a sample of this. I love it. Funny, I didn't detect coconut but have just seen it listed above - I just get a yummy pure vanilla, woodsy, smokey, intoxicating smell. A comforting winner. :)

Amethyste27
Amethyste27

This is lovely. It doesn't have a strong vanilla fragrance at first. The most noticeable smell to begin with is liquorice, which I found very pleasant and unusual. This gives way to an incensey fragrance and eventually a nice coconut/vanilla scent. My only criticism is that it does fade quite quickly.

Neroli112
Neroli112

I always like the scent of Vanilla. But this one doesnt leave me smelling like freshly baked cookies. In face this fragant makes me feel very happy. With the coconut milk i smell so yummy that i wanna bite myself. Lol.

Luv it xx

nooory
nooory

YUM! I used to layer this with my precious pure Oud oil and just be the happiest girl on earth. It is divine, creamy vanilla with a whiff of cooconut milk, but not the beachy tan oil kind, but the kind that makes you close your eyes and smile. two sprays are enough to get me through the day, and the deep creamy notes go SO well with the pure Oud oil, the two combined are just TOO SEXY to be true... it's like my OWN fragrance and everybody keeps asking me what am i wearing...
Alas, the bottle had ran out and i can't find a retailer that sells Un Bois Vanille anywhere, and believe me, I've looked EVERYWHERE!
Yes, I am sad now.

ArtisticElf
ArtisticElf

This is one of the best done good quality vanilla fragrances. It's not synthetic or cloying, the Projection and longevity are both good. This is a good buy and one of the few fragrances worth the expensive price as not many vanila scents can compare to this one.

cocobella
cocobella

this one is really the best vanilla perfume i've ever smelled. this is so gourmand and yet very classy. it does not smell like other vanilla fragrances. this one is more mature and has more class. the lasting power is very good. another plus is that it is not so common like other vanilla fragrances in my country.
this one might give u a feeling of luxury.i think u have to use it carefully as it is very strong, so do not use too much of it.
this will definitely be my next purchase .

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

How can I describe this. One word: wow. I'm amazed by this perfume. First I got the black licorice, very prominent. Then, I got the coconut. After 15minutes I smell the bees wax. LOVE THIS!! Great scent for wintertime. Boyfriend loves this!

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Of all the vanilla scents that I have ever tried and/or owned, Un Bois Vanille is a clear favorite for me.

There's a creamy richness in this perfume that comes from the pure indulgent scent of vanilla that's been blended with the other notes to perfection.

I detect a definite bourbon scent in the fragrance that runs through the its heart, and the licorice, coconut and sandalwood also stand out, but in a way that they are in balance with the other notes.

A very soft creamy dry down transforms it to a skin scent. I find it so dreamy and luxurious.

This really is a sweet perfume lover's delight. Oriental and gourmand, it truly is a masterpiece of perfumery. For me, this is the best Lutens, as well as an outstanding vanilla.

It's expensive, but worth the price tag. A scent I could not be without. 9/10

lucifera
lucifera

another favorite vanilla of mine,tried a sample and goshh im sold! will buy this
i don't think i'll ever have enough vanille scents bc there's always one that i got to have
this is a good example!
ooh and it last longer then datura noir wich i also like but UBV wins in my book
edit: owner of a bottle ^_^

zapling
zapling

I do not like to smell like Coconut bathroom freshener! This scent disappoints me so... Maybe it's a question of chemistry, but I will now stop trying Lutens samples. They do not do any good for me.

maeculpa
maeculpa

This feels like my guilty pleasure, something I enjoy at home but would probably not wear out. It is amazingly good quality vanilla, so sweet, a bit caramelised. I do love it, I just don't want to flaunt it. It is something I would wear as a comfort scent, as in when I am feeling under the weather and need a bit of cheering up, like a cosy blanket of burnt sugar. Definitely feel-good stuff.

Jeune Homme
Jeune Homme

I wonder why some reviewers say that there is no vanille here (and why vanille doesn't appear in the site's pyramide description). As far as I can smell, there are several precious and refined vanilles, and that's what that perfume is all about. An interesting touch of wax too, and beautiful woods as basenotes. But vanille it is, mainly ! A very sweet one, a bit syrupy.

MizLiz
MizLiz

This was my first Serge Lutens, which I bought when I had no idea what a niche perfume was. I was an exchange student in Berlin at the time, and Un Bois Vanille kept me warm through the frigid winter. Perfumes: The Guide describes it as the smell of a coffee shop, and that's not far off. It definitely has an air of steamed milk and warm woods about it (but not quite a coffee note). It's not really about vanilla, though I do smell vanilla in there. It's more about sweet, resinous wood. Even though I have now tried just about every Lutens perfume, this one remains my favorite.

Galya
Galya

really amasing,fantastic perfume!!!I can detect very well cocco,cedar wood,licorice and very sweet vanille.

sofiii
sofiii

Bois Vanilla is an instant love! (Thanks to a gorgeous swapper I’ve finally got my hands on a decant of this)
Upon the first spray, I can smell something intriguingly sweet, in a clean sweet but not synthetic sugary way, like the creamy, slightly dry coconut infused edible cupcake sweetness but not that typical vanilla-y.

Soon the sweetness gets more complex, somewhat like brown sugar sweet and dried fruit and resins. Then it gets drier, a little bit spicy as in dried fruits kinda spicy plus a little bit dry sweet woods smell. Later on a discreet gardenia scent comes to play (which is already nicely present there since the beginning, as the fresh sweetness, but I just didn’t pay much attention to), it is nice and unconventional, it give the quasi tuberose nice blooming summer night feel (but does not go for the white flower bouquet direction or smell of real tuberose at all) and the cozy vanilla, dry coconut powder and sweet spice all tangled together, which is just like gramma’s hug in a golden sunny afternoon in warm autumn.

It’s a really complex vanilla scent, but still easy to wear.
Worth trying!

fpih
fpih

As others have mentioned, the name of this fragrance is misleading. There are no woods in this vanilla as the name implies and I don't smell the coconut like others do. It's just a sweet pure vanilla with lots of licorice that make it smell like a mix of vanilla and burnt sugar. The opening is trully disgusting: so sweet you want to rub it off immediately. Luckily, it mellows and becomes less sweet the longer it sits on the skin; I actually like it at that stage.

Good sillage, good lasting power, but overall nothing special. I expected something darker from this one, but it's pretty innocent and easy to wear when the weather's really cold. Nice, but there are much better vanillas out there and at a much better price. I will finish my bottle but I'm not planning to come back for this one.

southernbelleinseattle
southernbelleinseattle

All I smell in this scent is vanilla and butterscotch, with a bit of smokiness. I don't get coconut, or licorice, or anything else - I also do not experience an opening, middle notes and base notes - to me it is linear - smells the same at first spritz as it does hours later. Although I say this smells like vanilla and butterscotch, it is not too sweet. I guess it's a lot of vanilla and a little butterscotch, with a dash of smoke and a teeny bitterness to make it less sweet - it is gourmand but nothing like Miss Dior Cherie let's say.
A nice fragrance, but nothing special & certainly not worth the $120 (to me) as I like other vanillas better. but if you're a vanilla lover, this one is worth trying out!

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

UBV is a mysterious "grown-up" vanilla scent. Sweet, yes, delicious, yes but with a wee burnt, smoky twist tickling your nose mischievously.
I can also detect a hint of coconut and some honey. Oh, it´s gorgeous and I adore the way this scent idea was realized.
You must love vanilla if you try this perfume but you should also be prepared to find this "vanilla forest" a bit different from what you had expected :-) One of the SL frags I love, it´s a gourmand adventure.

njdeb
njdeb

This is certainly different from most of the vanilla perfumes I have tried. So much so that I had to really sample this over a span of time to give it its proper due.

I tend to gravitate towards smokey, dark vanillas and expected something along those lines with this (especially since it is a Serge Lutens). In contrast, Un Bois Vanille is a light, almost marshmallowy, sweet vanilla scent. That initially put me off, I think, simply because I had a preconceived idea of what this perfume would smell like.

Anyway, I put the vial away and decided to try it at a later point with my head cleared of any expectations. Well,today was the day I tried it again, and ....... I still don't like it much. The coconut comes through very strongly and really overpowers whatever anise and sandalwood is in there. Too bad - a heavier dose of sandalwood would have mitigated the candy sweetness of this and given it more depth.

Overall, not enough bois in this vanille.

Mochahantas
Mochahantas

I am a self-professed vanilla slore to the fullest. Anything loud, boisterous in it's presentation, sweet and yummy is always a hit in my book.

There has not been a vanilla thread/topic about yummy vanilla 'fumes where this fume was not mentioned. It, next to ANGEL seems to reign supreme in the Vanilla Handbook of 'Fume Gods. I almost bought a bottle of this stuff (full bottle) blind, but something told me to heal and grab a sample instead. Boy, am I glad I did.

Thick, syrupy vanilla combined with hella smokey incense laced with loads o licorice is what my skin made of this. A very dark, yet dank vanilla. Me didn't likey :( I didn't get a yummy concoction. As a matter of fact, the licorice and smoky contents of this made me rather nauseous and also a little shy and embarrassed to wear.

Sillage? Sillage loving beauties will love this because it sure does leave a trail. It gives you 5-6 hours of full-bodied sillage and it wears close to you the rest of the day.

Lasting power? Very intense. But for $100 perume, I'd expect it to be up there in lasting power with ANGEL. However, it'll give you about 7 hours. Very decent.

Will I buy? Nope.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I am currently enslaved in the process of painting our bedroom and during a moment of procrastination (ok, a *lot* of moments) it occured to me that Un Bois Vanille is not unlike ceiling paint.

Beginning with a loud burst of liquorice and heady coconut, this is the vapour part of the renovation. As the perfume begins to dry it gets 'streaky' in the same manner as the ceiling drying from pink to white, partly the liquoricey beginning and partly the absorbing creamy coconuty vanilla it is destined to become.

In the end what you are left with is a flawless, matte, creamy white finish that uplifts your heart every time you rest your mind upon it.

Luckily, I don't find Un Bois Vanille too sweet. To me, the liquorice brings this back to a more complex and interesting vanilla.

I just hope I haven't been too naughty all year and Santa will still see fit to baste me in vanilla this Yuletide.

*fingers crossed*

mseidoom
mseidoom

I had the sample for this in February. I thought it smelled like coconut cookies/macaroons. Well, fast forward to today and I'm wearing a little of it! Still, it's very foody and has a heavy coconut smell. After awhile, it has a vanilla-chocolate note that appears. This has too much coconut in it, for me to truly enjoy the fragrance.

susan1326
susan1326

On my skin the sandalwood came through louder than the vanilla. Unfortunately not my scent.

Cereza
Cereza

Ahh, this is so extremely sweet. Imagine the sweetest fume you own and then multiple that by 3 - you'll get the sweetness of Un bois vanille. Yet, the scent is so addictive. Right now I'm struggling to add this to my "i want" and buy a bottle, but I do understand that I won't be able to wear it without killing everyone I meet. Really. My cat is avoiding me since I put this one on my wrist. Beautiful yes, but I think that after a while one can easily get sick using this. And something burnt is disturbing me a lot.

guest_bader-alali
guest_bader-alali

smell like Indult -paris

i love this fragrances

uninco
uninco

When I've asked my husband if he likes the smell, he asked me"is it body lotion from Body Shop? - smells good" I feel the same way: it smells like vanilla body lotion, not like Parfum on me. Disappointed.

Aalia
Aalia

I was so surprised when this came out of the sample tube- it was sooooo boozy! I thought for sure there was bourbon or cognac in the composition! It was so wonderful-my brain was really reelilng with enjoyment of this scent-creamy, spicy, gourmand but not sickeningly sweet or foody. It was bliss-for about a half an hour to 45 minutes. Then sadly, the gorgeous scent just wandered away from my skin. When quickly arriving to the `dry down`(I put it in quotes because it came so fast that I did not experience a middle) it became very simple and plain, lacking exhilarating qualities---but it was still an excellent, extremely refined vanilla, like I had never experienced before.

cryman41
cryman41

I've bought instead of Miel du Bois, but the second is an another world...I think that Un Bois Vanille is too sweet and the Coconut fragrance's too oppressive

glitteralex
glitteralex

Sweet licorice and creamy coconut milk make a loud entrance, giving the wearer the feeling that they are in for a gourmand ride....these notes are brief, however, and fast on their tails is a sweet cedarwood (I know it is sandal, but I get cedar). The vanilla rounds out and sweetens the wood, but does not dominate the composition. Just as I think this is going to remain a stright on Wood scent, the coconut-not milk this time, but Hawaiian Tropic-charges in and gives the Cedar a run for its money. I agree with others that there is an aged liquor feel to it, like an Armangnac. This is not a terribly complex scent, and not particularly feminine either. It has the aura of an essential oil, but the ingredients are not oily in the least. To note, this is the first perfume I have EVER met that causes an itching reaction on my hand. I do enjoy it, but feel that as s woody as it is, I would prefer it in a candle than on a body.

Wombat
Wombat

I have only tried a designer duplicate of UBV but it has become my VERY FAVORITE scent. Sandalwood? Coconut? Licorice? I don't smell those notes whatsoever and I never would have ordered it based on how unappealing those notes sound to me! I ordered it because of the vanilla in the name because I adore vanilla. WOW! I was so pleasantly surprised! I get compliments all the time when I wear this! It's soft, soothing, gentle and happy! There are no harsh notes, at least in my dupe. If you can't afford the real thing, look around the internet for a duplicate. I have no desire to buy the real thing because I love the dupes so much.

Sissi
Sissi

it starts out as a dry smokey maple
scent an harsh opening but it dries down to a pleasent creamy vanilla
and a bit of coconut. i think this will
be an ideal scent for the beach despite
it's strong opening this can be worn
in warm weather and i like this better
then daim blonde.

Brielle87
Brielle87

I have never been a huge lover of vanille centered fragrances, but this one i absolutely love. I find it to be one of the nicest, prettiest, cleanest, not overly gooey vanille i have ever experienced.
This is the vanille by which all others will be forever judged. Truly a breathtakingly beautiful composition.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I love vanilla but I often find it gets sickeningly sweet on my skin. This combination has a satisfyingly gourmand note but a lso dark, burnt edge which makes it smell rich and mysterious. I find the sillage is not great but it lasts a long time close to the skin. Perfect winter fragrance - makes me think of roaring log fires in a country house library full of well-loved books!

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

Usually I'm a big fan of Mr Lutens and vanilla in general (especially in Autumn), but this one is seriousy overrated and overpriced. On me it smelled exactly like Body Shop vanilla, apart from the chemical bit. It's nice but not worth the money.

9154mf
9154mf

I normally LOVE vanillas and was dying to try this, and I am disappointed. But so happy that I didn't buy it unsniffed from ebay because I got a sample first. From the outset, a strong camphory-boozy quality made me feel ill in my stomach. Hmm its the caramel - like burnt caramel - ugh! I ve never had a reaction this bad from a fragrance. I was almost tempted to go wash it off. Its more like a really dark vanilla with just a hint of sweetness, but that quality, I cant quite describe it, put me off. I think its the combo of Gaiac wood licorice and caramelised benzoin. It just smells off to me. Not a creamy vanilla in the least. Please try a sample first before buying.

vendetta
vendetta

I think it's really great. I love the vanilla an liquorice combination, it's very sweet, sticky and caramelised. The coconut adds a subtle creaminess, too. It reminds me of Pink Sugar, but this is a kind of more sophisticated version of it. It's deeper and has more facettes than the flat and over the top sweet Pink Sugar. Very well done!

Malegria
Malegria

I don`t think that the notes are complete in the description, because it started as a pretty citrus-vanilla combination (lemon scones?).Later I smelled a lot`s of soft coconut, vanilla and just a bit of licorice - if sandalwood was supposed to be in the base, I didn`t feel it much at all.
It is a warm, slightly childish fragrance, naive and sweet.Not my favorite, but definitely has it`s charm.

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

I think i found my favorite one under Serge lutens fragrances.
This one is really good.
I smell much of the coconut milk and the vanilla and also the woody note which make it smells like the typical Serge lutens style "distinctive".When you tryed some Serge Lutens fragrances you know what i mean, each fragrance have these special serge lutens note!
When i smell this wonderful scent it reminds me at a summer holiday in the Caribbean,drinking some creamy coconut cocktail.So i think this fragrance is good for each season.

Auguszta
Auguszta

The thing is, I don't like vanilla fragrances. I can't stand them. I find them heavy, cloying, sweet, girly and boring. But this is a vanilla scent with a twist: it's smokey! I can actually imagine myself wearing this on a cold winter's day.

flannelman
flannelman

To my dismay, I often find Serge Lutens' fragrances too sweet for my taste and always seem to approach them with a sense of resignation, concerned as I am that I will not be able to enjoy what I am about to sample.

I do love the smell of vanilla; and especially the wonderful, fragrant aroma of fresh vanilla pods. The idea of a wood and vanilla fragrance is appealing to me, and I thought that perhaps Un Bois Vanille could be something to enjoy, my worries about sweetness put aside. And I did, on the whole, with some reservations.

I should say first, on the negative side, that to my nose there isn't that much wood in Un Bois Vanille. I had the same "where's the wood?" interrogation with SL Cèdre some time ago.

The opening here is an intense blast of coconut and vanilla. Definitely gourmand territory! The fragrance immediately feels rich, and you know it's going to last. I am glad to say that the vanilla does feel very natural and mouth-watering.

The warmth of Un Bois Vanille continues to develop quietly — there isn't that much evolution, but rather the fragrance feels like it has to be enjoyed as a whole. The coconut note subsides and is replaced by something caramel-y. Vanilla fudge or toffee, something like that. Richness and sweetness, once again. Luckily this does not feel as sirupy as, for instance, Chypre Rouge.

At this point I would really have loved the woods to kick in, but sadly they did not. There is a slight licorice note that permeates from time to time but on the whole the fragrance remains a thick, intense coconut/vanilla/caramel affair.

To summarize, this is a pretty good, natural vanilla that you might enjoy (especially during cold days) if you like very strong gourmand fragrances and don't mind the ever-present sweetness. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Scent lover
Scent lover

As usual Serge Lutens full of scent thinkness, fullness and this one is opening as an intense honey scent to me. I feel like I would be laying in the field full of flowers at summer day. I can clearly smell the sweetness of life :-) Beautifully done and it last on me forever. Well done.

A lovely vanilla that climbs up my nose, twists my nose hairs and makes me run screaming for the sink and the soap. I'm not sure what note does this, but it's prevalent and horrible. Maybe it's the beeswax combined with the woods, but whatever it is, it's dreadful. Over the top is a nice pleasant sweet vanilla. Weird. EDIT: Experiment with 100s of scents now leads me to believe this is the combination of vanilla and sandalwood that turns so foul on me.

LiLascents
LiLascents

I really, really, reeeeeaaaaaaally can't get over the beeswax, I can't stand that smell in a perfume. Maybe it's the chemistry with my skin, or my nose, but no, not for me.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

I realized that Serge fragrances don't work on me at all (after trying at least 10). They smell better on paper strips than my skin. A lot of his fragrances I love, but can't wear. Un Bois Vanille is an incredible Vanilla fragrance, a lot more sophisticated than most food vanillas, sensual and proper for a confident woman. It's out of the ordinary, but I guess all Serge Lutens are. Unfortunately, on me it smelled like extremely sweet candy.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.