Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Vitriol d’œillet Serge Lutens for women and men

Vitriol d’œillet Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

yellow floral

Vitriol d’œillet by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Vitriol d’œillet was launched in 2011. The fragrance features nutmeg, clove, pink pepper, pepper, paprika, carnation, wallflower, lily and ylang-ylang.

Nutmeg Clove Pink Pepper Pepper Paprika Carnation Wallflower Lily Ylang-Ylang

Oeillet Bengale

Vitriol d’œillet Fragrance Reviews

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is beautiful, an abundance of clovey, spicy carnation goodness.It lasts and is suitable for any season I feel although its approaching winter right now in good old blighty and I'm loving it. Although it's spicy and peppery I get the floral in this too, subdued violet and a wearable, non screechy lily and the carnation is gorgeous. I'm honestly turning into a right little Lutens whore ha ha really enjoying alot of his scents right now )

shushkin
shushkin

Gorgeous spicey vibrant fragrance. I love spices and carnations are just divine. They are brought together beautifully in the cheerful fragrance. These are strong notes but they are softened with the sweetness of lily perhaps. I would have gone for fb but for the unfortunate soapy closing on my skin. Moderate sillage and longevity. I think Oriza L Legrands dianthus fragrance is better.

Enrosadira
Enrosadira

è un profumo che faccio fatica a capire!
Apertura quasi acidula, secca, fredda, maschile. Poi emerge il pepe rosa. È un profumo minimal, deciso, dall’anima forte e da gentleman (a tratti mi ricorda persino il profumo delle camicie appena lavate e stirate). Allo stesso tempo è leggermente mitigato dalle spezie, che col passare del tempo si sentono sempre di più. Sembra quasi che racconti la storia di una vita: l’asprezza della giovinezza, il rigore equilibrato e corposo della maturità e la morbidezza sfaccettata della vecchiaia.

keiserkarel
keiserkarel

in my opinion, this is the summer Lutens! very bright and perky like the sunbeam of summer days. imagine colorful paprika and chili peppers surrounded by exotic flowers! the color of orange or yellow would be more suitable than smokey violet. If La Fille de Berlin is for winter, this is the opposite one.

bbao
bbao

First I tried this, I thought... this place has some nice air refreshers! But only later did I realise, that I was smelling myself smelling nice :) It's not something irritating or annoying, it's.. OK

Cassiano
Cassiano

Vitriol d’oeillet was released in 2011 and its name means, in English, "Vitriol of Carnation". Vitriol is the name given to sulphates, especially, to sulfuric acid. In other words, Serge Lutens wanted to portray, through this perfume, what would be the sulphate of the Carnation flower, used in the lapels of the classic visual of several men, those considered dandies.

Serge defines the concept of this fragrance saying: "Take a carnation and a sufficient quantity of Cayenne pepper. Firmly drive it into the very center, using the "nails" of a clove. Before committing the final act of violence, let wallflower throw in a few punches".

Vitriol d’oeillet has notes of carnations, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper, pink pepper and cayenne pepper (the name comes from Cayenne in French Guiana), also known as chilli pepper. Still brings lilies, ylang-ylang, woods and wallflower (Erysimum).

On the skin, Vitriol d’oeillet is a pleasant surprise. It has a retro air, reminiscent of the smell of violets with camphoraceous nuances. It was made for both genres, but has a more masculine aura, in my opinion. Its fragrance is distinct and innovative. In fact, I've never felt a male floral similar to this one, until the present moment. I love its nocturnal and seductive aspect. The evolution is very subtle and the fragrance remains with nuances of metallic and spicy violets, in addition to a slightly sweet base. It has good projection and lasts for hours on the skin.

Those who don’t like clove-scented fragrances that remind of the medicine used by dentists, no need to worry, because the clove is not as present as the carnation in this perfume.

The lovers of floral scents that have strong smell of violets, as Hommage a L'homme (Lalique), for example, have everything to fall in love with Vitriol d’oeillet.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

A cool, intense violet; hints of powder and blueberry (a cool colored berry). Sweet. Even though it's cool there's a vanilla note in there. Little old lady wearing powder and violet perfume. Very interesting fragrance - there's something that almost itches the nose (the pepper?), slightly off-putting but unusual and fascinating. Dries down to soft, spicy powder - it warms up a touch but still on the cool side. Long lasting but in about 2 hours fades until only detectable on being very close to the wrist.

desdemona7
desdemona7

Oh my,this is nice!! The Sephora in Toronto has started carrying the Lutens line and at Christmas I tried a few on various parts of both arms. On the way driving home I kept thinking something smells Really good on me, so I have just now returned and purchased a whole bottle. I seem to have strange body chemistry, because despite the negative reviews of this frag, on me this is heavenly! Sweet, vanilla-ish violets with a touch of carnation and pepper. I also like Lutens' Miel de Bois, which most people can't tolerate. This particular scent is not overwhelming like a great deal of Lutens perfumes, but on me it is very soft, clovey, and like a beautiful violet dream. Brings to mind fairies in a sunlit glen on a dewy morning. Sillage is moderate, but longevity is excellent, upwards of 8-10 hours. Very high quality and a keeper!

lilymorena
lilymorena

Hummmm sweet flowers with pepper. Ok it doesn't sound lovely but it is just gorgeus. So far the most feminine, flowery scent I've tryed from Lutens. It is as someone had mashed violets in a sugary syrup. Then added some pepper, pinkpepper plus some nutmerg and other spices. I can smell it in whiffs from a few drops/spritz/sample. As other Lutens it is impossible to wash it out and sillage is really amazing. It goes to my "want list".

Scentmad
Scentmad

Smells almost identical to the original JF legendary Iris Gris. Wonderfully ethereal. Opens with a strong chilly violet note and warms to a close copy of Iris Gris. Breathy carnation with the merest hint of clove on my skin. The notes are supported by a lovely spicy backdrop that remains in the back and isn't overpowering. A completely unexpected delight. I am in perfume heaven.

archivist
archivist

Pretty much a one-note wonder in the open - carnation+clove, some of the hot pepper found in Poivre Samarcand but not in a meaningful measure at first. The lily appears in fairly short order and stands next to the carnation like surly siblings being forced to take a photo.

Middle is basically lily and pepper, which is a lot less interesting than it sounds like it should be. I mostly get the pepper from retro olfaction; I smell it and it actually lands on my tongue. That's not really awesome, to be honest. Within a few minutes, the pepper had settled in and now I have a sour-hot "sucked on a peppercorn" feeling in my mouth and my arm is a little burny, so I'm going to wash it off.

Onda Vero gave me a rashy red welt from a single application. Opium now gives me asthma attacks. This one felt really burny. I guess after all these years I have developed some of that acquired chemical sensitivity that IFRA goes on and on about.

Hey IFRA, watch this! 1) Ow, this hurts/burns/allergic reaction. 2) Not going to wear that again.

See how simple life can be?

girasolina
girasolina

this perfume was a long time in my closet desires and ... finally, it is in my hands. I bought it in the dark, although this perfume had a composition that usually, I abhor. Intrigued by the many comments. I find that I like and I do not know by what strange shade reminds me of a Hippie Rose (the rose, other note that I do not love but in Hippie, drives me crazy). I do not feel too pink or too spicy and fragrant all the notes seem to me at the right place, in crowds balanced equilibrium that only this brand has. Always has a small footprint that becomes foil rouge in all Lutens, despite being original and different. A good longevity, just weaker the sillage. Overall 7/10, because it appeals to me but I did not conquer; is not persuasive but knows how to involve.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

At the beginning, I pick up a spicy violet, which is quite pleasant. Unfortunately it is all downhill after that. After half an hour, I am left with a sour but syrupy odour.
I adore the scent of dianthus/carnations in the garden. I cannot pick up anything in this frag that smells like them.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Not for me. I usually love carnation scents but this is just odd, I don't get much of the floral, but I do get peppery soap (if that's a thing) and some musk. Really I wanted to like it, but I hate it, and I'm not alone I see, so that's interesting! I've tried it twice and it's just an epic fail on me - 2/10. Next!

Q80
Q80

pepper Paprika and chili pepper washed with water and soap and didn't rinse well so the soap foam is still there, and next to this a bouquet of flowers (mainly carnations) and cloves are splashed all over. quite bizarre and rare. well blended.

Danielle125
Danielle125

headache inducer.

Smells like a Chinese seasoning,i guess that's the
clove...

update:

I fell in love with this beauty,i can detect carnation and clove,
very elegant and it's a frag with old-school style.
you should give him another chance,
your nose will tell you he is a frag that worth keeping for life.

Lana148
Lana148

In a heart - Carnation flower, wrapped up in peppery, spicy
fog. From spices, pepper stands out the most and then: paprika, clove, nutmeg - unusual combination. This fragrance is from "love it" or "hate it" category. Personally, it makes me nauseous, but I appreciate it because it's different.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Alluring walk towards the dentist) Its happy spicy medicinal, with very peppery carnation and very clovy wallflower. This guy knows how to make fun even in most unpleasant situations, optimistic and charismatic, good for him!
Very likeable fragrance.

daithi
daithi

Smells like perfume from another era. This gothic spicy carnation is one of the best creations signed by Serge Lutens. I can imagine Oscar Wilde wearing this.

aquisr1
aquisr1

I really like this scent. In a nutshell, it reminds me of a beautiful expensive soap. Very clean with just a hint of spice. Not extremely strong, but I could imagine smelling this on someone and thinking,"wow, they smell great". Not like any other scent i have found.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Super harsh opening, pungent green notes, raw freshly-cut carnation flowers, a massive aldehydes feel, all in a trasparent, metallic, vibrant cloud, with a slightly sweet base. The carnation is powerful, vivid and biting, surrounded by spices (cloves and pepper) and a tasty, savoury bittersweet note of pimiento. The softer base of vanilla and ylang comes in shape and emerges as minutes pass, slowly turning the fragrance in a sweeter and almost slightly milky tanning cream-like scent (I recall Un bois vanille). The middle phase is basically a talcum-musky fairly pleasant and sweet take on the initial accord - meaning that it's still all there, just "emulsified" in a sweeter shape. The evolution is a bit odd and almost "sea-roving", it ranges from metallic to sweet than switching back to a dry green/floral, then ending back again to a musky sweet drydown, which eventually dries and settles in a discomforting floral/medicinal accord. And frankly I do not enjoy any of these passages in particular, it's like watching a movie with people yelling and moving in front of the screen – the movie is carnation and the rest is, well, all the rest that surrounds (or better say, covers) it here. Plus I don't get any "feeling" in particular - it's not refined, not pleasant, not "ironic", not evocative... not even shady or masculine or avant-garde. Not that it has to be some of these, it's just that it's more kind of a sequence of smells, none of which achieves any result in terms of identity. A bit too much, in a bit too much unclear concept. If you like carnation, you'd better go CdG's Carnation - an unbeatable quintessential tribute to this beautiful flower.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Clove and pepper. Then some indistinct and faint flowers humming in the background. It is really about spices. I get the concept of the carnation. I even smell it but, at the end of the day, it is all about clove and pepper. Yet somehow, it is very beautiful. It has both a vintage and modern feel. Not exactly mainstream sexy, but yet... My husband is crazy about it.

All in all, don't be fooled by the name's funeral and oppressive suggestiveness. It is an unusual, intriguing, yet very opinionated, warm and happy juice.

Subspace
Subspace

I find that many Serge Lutens smell generically affluent to me - it's difficult to describe, but there is a safe, East Coast fragrance to women in New York, a grandmothery quality. Vitriol d’œillet is this exactly.

I regret reading other reviews regarding a hair-dye odor in the opening, because once you think you smell that you can't unsmell it. It is uncanny, if incredibly brief (perhaps 10 seconds worth) -- hair dye. Cheap box hair dye. The good news is that once it has passed, it is just… floral.

It is a spring floral, neither interesting nor bland. I get a little lilac in there with some whiffs. No ylang-ylang, no significant lily and certainly no carnation. Just a creamy, yellow-pink floral, the smell of a middle-aged woman buying a Hermes scarf in a department store.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A peppery carnation with cloves is what I'm mainly picking up. What has been done to the carnation note, it can be really beautiful in a fragrance but here they have ruined it.

As time goes by other floral notes come into play making the main spicy peppery carnation smell like soapy bubblegum.

Thumbs down with this one.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

More clove and a soapy rose than carnation. Plus some pepper. It is not loud, but rather sharp than soft. If you want a warm, spicy carnation, Vitriol is not your chosen perfume. I think it deserves better critics than it actually got.
I love it in hot weather, its soapy sharpness is refreshing.

Majesty
Majesty

The opening of Vitriol d´oeillet reminds me of ammonia,it´s exactly thechemical smell of hair colour..Lots of pepper which initially burns your nose and then settles down to a carnation-spice combo. The drydown on my skin smells like violet although it´s not listed. Powdery violet with some spice which stays no longer than 2 hours before it disappears completely. Harsh and chemical opening with a spicy powdery drydown. Average lasting power and very close to skin sillage.

leathermountain
leathermountain

Red Hots dissolved in Grenadine syrup, captured in a very slightly melted plastic cup. Perhaps Carnation Temper Tantrum would fit.

asheble93
asheble93

Serge Lutens' Vitriol d’œillet:

A beautifully delicate and refined addition to Lutens; this is a soft spoken, effervescent, and balanced floriental in every sense of the word.

Right out of the gate, carnation and ylang ylang hits you like a wall, along with pink pepper, all of which last the entire life of the scent.

I really enjoy carnation and this is one of my favorites, just because of the tension between spice and floral. Towards the end of the drydown the clove bubbles to the top and gives a little more foundation to the overall composition.

Overall:
7.8/10

freddinos
freddinos

This in my opinion is not safe blind buy territory. The top notes were a spicy blend of pink and black pepper with chilly peppers, and towards the middle a bit of carnation and clove were added. The drydown was pure lilies on my skin, and I totally dislike this flower due to its funeral association in my mind. Overall I did not like Vitriol d'Oeillet, but I have to admit it is very unique and has good lasting power.

Well I never!!! Got some Serge Lutens samples (hot off the press so to speak) from my new friend at the perfume counter. It makes a lot of sense to be charming and flirtatious with these ladies and you get loads of free stuff! haha
Anyway...I thought when I quickly looked through them initially that this was the violet one...Bois des violettes? I think that's the one? I was familiar anyway and as such left it until now to try.
Turns out it was Vitriol d oelliet and I was excited to try a new Serge Lutens but my heart sank when I learned of the dominant carnation note.
I often think to myself that I don't know a great deal about florals or identifying floral notes but as it happens I know quite a few. Carnation is one that I can instantly picture in my minds eye or rather my minds nose!
It can easily turn sour easily so i wasn't holding out much hope for this one.
You know what though?
I found myself really enjoying it, what a great combination. This is precisely what I think of when the term 'Floriental' is banded about this is a great example.
The florals are strong in the opening but just as it's about to turn into a right off the attack of entire spice rack hits you. Not to imply that it's harsh because it isn't and you get a bit of everything at different times.
It's constantly tiptoeing between the two, then teetering on the edge...then back again...It's a beautiful dance.
It certainly changes in the drydown but somehow retains its character, I feel the base might be a little sandlewood and cedar although they're not listed here so maybe not?
This is the kind of fragrance that makes me feel like a proper fragrance head because something tells me I shouldn't like it... but I do because it's very interesting indeed.
Totally unisex and actually quite masculine on me, huge longevity I mean up there with some pure perfume.
This is great and a masculine floral I would wear.

MLK
MLK

This perfume is so beautifully elegant with warm notes of carnation (my first carnation fragrance and I am very impressed). Also included are my other favourite notes namely, lily and ylang ylang. I can't detect any cloves or nutmeg on me when I wear it (which I think is a good thing). This fragrance feels very feminine and I can't imagine a male wearing this but some may be able to pull it off.

I love the softness of how this fragrance settles on my skin after about 20 minutes. The opening is quite strong but I still love it. This is one of my favourite Serge Lutens masterpieces and I am slowly collecting quite a few as the ingredients in his fragrances are top class.

mizz.cindy
mizz.cindy

My first experience with a carnation perfume was the scent of Potion body lotion by LUSH. If you know that one, you'll know that most carnation fragrances appear tame or bland next to that heavy spicy and almost medicinal cloves/ carnation concoction. I absolutely love it.
What I love about carnation in general is that it has a mixture of warmth, sweetness, spiciness and just a hint of dust. It can give an old fashioned vibe to a perfume, but that is definitely not the case of Vitriol d'Oeillet.
In fact, V d'O smells very modern for a carnation perfume, thanks to the heavy dose of pepper that accentuated the already spicy carnation even more, but also takes the medicinal cloves to the background.
Thanks to the ylang- ylang, the perfume is never too spicy or too sharp. The banana smell of ylang- ylang takes away any sharp edges Vitriol d'Oeillet could otherwise have, and balances the whole fragrance out.
I also detect some other sweet florals, the lily most dominant, and she's there to take away the dustiness of the carnation.
For me, Vitriol d'Oeillet is all about the perfect balance between the spiciness and sweetness, with the carnation as the beautiful center of attention. It's a warm spicy floral perfume, perfect for fall. Very different from other carnation perfumes, because it's very soft and so very Lutens. Love!

Guest_SDVHC
Guest_SDVHC

For woman and man!?

This is a woman perfume. Sweet, flowery... do you...

(however much good!)

degauss
degauss

I almost cried when I first smelled it, no exaggeration. It's so unearthly pure, somehow. Not clean, not fresh, not anything identifiable even. Like a deep well of cool alien liquid, alive, and then someone drops a single clove into it. I'm pretty sure this is one of those inexplicable personal things, but this scent just feels like all the most important, private memories replayed at once; like an epiphany.

danceforjoy
danceforjoy

While this perfume doesn't work particularly well on me, I don't intend this to be a bad review. For me this was an Act I and an Act II fragrance. But Act I, which could be named PEPPERS! carried on far too long, to the tune of nearly 2 hours. If I liked pepper on my skin this would please me immensely. I did perceive other notes in there briefly during this time, an alternate pepper, cloves, but mostly just a dominating pepper.

At about 1:40 minutes in, with a poof the peppery scent of carnation finally began to take the stage. This has developed a lovely, powdery floral with a peppery undertone, but 100 minutes is a long time to wait for a scent to get somewhere you want it to be. But if you like a peppery journey, I highly recommend this, because it has a lovely destination.

4 hours in and it has retreated that it is somewhat close to my skin, but it is still present.

AyameSapphire
AyameSapphire

Carnation and clove are the last notes that remain on the skin, really interesting cocktail of ingredients. Reminds me of soap... Need it!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I'm quite enjoying all the hot pepper in this. There is a sort of carnation, or the idea of a carnation (as another poster describes it - carnation on steroids!).

This could be good for snowy, icy days as it's quite nose tickling. At the same time there's a clean feel that would be quite reviving in a hot climate - I'm imagining sight-seeing in a hot city. For me the strongest spice note is black pepper followed closely by clove, this blends with the ylang ylang and lily to create a sweet, soapy hot perfume, odd as that sounds. It reminds me of a Crabtree and Evelyn triple milled luxury soap that's had the volume turned up to 11.

I do detect carnation underlying the spice, it feels like an oily note somehow and add adds a calm base. It calms down to a warm spicy soap then fades out completely after a few hours as there doesn't seem to be any resin, wood or musk to give it more longevity

marios4
marios4

If you like s very long lasting carnation try Garofano, of Lorenzo Villoresi....Vitriol d’œillet on my skin is very short lasting, and the price doesn't justify the purchase, instead other Serge Lutens's fragrances...

edooardo
edooardo

It reminds me of the backyard where I used to play during my childhood.

There were a lot of roses and carnations, whose petals I used to smell. Unfortunately now a days the Carnation is a rare aroma on the shelves.

Vitriol shows the depth of this rich flower that we miss.

Vitriol is a blast of cold carnations, refreshing and elegant, almost acid. Really refreshing and addictive.
Worth every penny

Ponyfields
Ponyfields

Quite possibly the single most disgusting thing I have ever smelt in my life. I tried this before I went out to a bar, and a little bit of this rubbed off on the sleeve of my coat. My coat now stinks of wood smoke and salami (I'm guessing this is a combination of the paprika and the pepper and cloves; if anyone else can suggest otherwise I would be most grateful as I would very much like to avoid this sort of smell for the rest of my life.) It was just as bad on my skin, and I literally gagged.

I cannot even begin to reconcile this to the other reviews on the site. I absolutely detested this fragrance and had an incredibly unpleasant experience trying it. It smells remarkably like what I imagine a forest fire would smell like, if most of the little woodland animals didn't make it.

On the other hand, the sillage was decent and it has stayed on my coat for ooo... three days now. I'm going to have to have it dry cleaned.

Heverton
Heverton

It starts with a very evident peppery note, specially pink pepper mixed with an already dominant (and a
little bit powdery) flowery aroma that just shines in a very beautiful way here in this Lutens making me
think about Ambre Gris as sfonativeboy said, given the presence of a sweet aura around the opening.

I don't get the clove in here, maybe it is fainted on my skin, or maybe I'm too used to the high dose of clove
from Musc Ravageur with all its depth. Trough time the fragrance develops into a total sweet floral combination with a hint of powdery attached to it. A very good fragrance but not for my personal use I guess.

rdickey
rdickey

The first whiff I got was Old Spice, then it settled down to a very powdery carnation-type aroma. Nice, but not my 'cup-of-tea'.

megank4
megank4

A nice spicy floral, but not specifically carnation to my point of view.

A very important note is missing in this scent pyramid, and that is carnation. For many critics, Vitriol d’œillet failed to impress, but I'm going to add my two cents and say that I actually enjoyed wearing Vitriol d’œillet and am quite prepared to give it a favourable review.

Carnation is a gloriously rich floral scent, which in my opinion doesn't feature enough in fragrances these days. Vitriol d’œillet displays the beauty of this flower without overdoing it. However, clove and pink pepper do tend to be the most dominate notes in this composition.

Vitriol d’œillet, is in my opinion, the feminine equivalent of Givenchy's Xeryus Rouge. Red-hot, fiery peppers spice up both these fragrances with the same kind of allure found in Peruvian cuisine. It's like a taste explosion on the skin.

When I think of Serge Lutens, I usually think of big, bold scents, however in this particular case, Vitriol d’œillet is quite subtle in terms of sillage. It lays low, but pleasantly so. A touch of smooth powderiness stops this fragrance from becoming too spicy and hot.

I am rather enjoying the unique nature of this fragrance, and have worn it over two consecutive days. The way it develops and morphs on the skin is quite commendable in terms of composition and approach. It's different to say the least and also quite versatile. I'm rather glad that this is a unisex fragrance, because it's a scent I'd enjoy on both myself and my significant other.

The longevity of Vitriol d’œillet was really impressive, lasting a good eight hours or more. It's even difficult to scrub off in the shower, which was a good sign. This fragrance's reception has been varied, so be prepared to either love it or hate it. I truly hope that it works for more people because I personally think it deserves more attention.

Peggspark
Peggspark

If you are looking for a carnation scent for winter wear, this is your scent! It's like carnations on steroids, very warm, spicy and enticing. This is a complex scent and takes it's sweet & spicy time developing into the most intoxicating blend of clove and peppers. The longer I wear it the more I love it and the lasting power is very good. Well done Mr. Lutens!

glorious1
glorious1

I live in SW Florida. I can't wait for cool weather to wear scents in particular so I wear them ALL YEAR whenever the mood strikes me. I get used to hot weather and spicy orientals.......whatever, whenever.

talnyc
talnyc

12/13/11: I tried this at Barney's and I really like it. I was given a sample, so I am happy about that. I am not sure why the note of Carnation is not shown above, but tuberose is also a top note.

The top notes are wonderful, but it's middle notes are spicy and I think conflicts with the top notes. It's bottom notes are more woodsy and the spice disappears (at least on me).

I think this is a very nice fall/winter scent.

It you are into blending scents, this fragrance is great with Byredo Bal D'Afrique. You will really love it.

Let me know what you think.

Wichapi
Wichapi

I was extremely intrigued by the notes & blend of this perfume, and very excited to try it. What a disappointment! There are sooo many misses in this perfume... Most of the spices hit hard, then go completely imperceptible while the musk and remnants of the nutmeg try desperately to mask what seems like razor edged aquatic/ozone notes. It came too close to cheap drug store aftershaves I recall boys wearing in high school. Aptly named though. "Vitriol" indeed! Back to my SL Cedre, Iris Silver Mist, and Datura Noior. :-)

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Amazingly I thought the scent would smell hot considering the notes. Its not, its actually quite a cool and airy smelling juice. I detect an almost violet smell on application. I can smell the nutmeg and clove but its very subdued. I do not smell ANY of the peppers at all. I'm not sure why that is, but its just not there for me at all.

After about an hour I get a soapy powder smell. Its not laundry soap, but a very high end hand made body soap. Its amazingly clean and not at all annoying. I get the sweet pop of the clove here and there but again, its very soft.

At 4-5 hours its just about disappeared on me. I still get a bit of a sizzle from the nutmeg and clove but I've got to really look for it.

In Conclusion I think its quite lovely and I like that fact that while you notice the spice, it dosen't overwhelm the senses. There's nothing at all traditional about this scent, and belies what even the notes suggests!

Certainly its a great one to have in the wardrobe for those times when a good personal scent is needed as a pick me up. I can see this one being suited for men and women. Sometimes unisex can bend in one direction or another, but I see this one staying pretty much in the middle.

I haven't tried most of the Serge Lutens line yet But I've heard some really interesting things about it. This one is on the wish list at the moment.

Iris Aistork
Iris Aistork

I feel too much camphor and black pepper, that makes me almost sneezing ))) VO resembles Serge Noir, but from its worst side. I love SN, and VO, unfortunately, is extremely peppery for me. Disappointed, as I was waiting from Lutens for smth more flowery and orientally warm, but not so harsh (

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I've finally found a Serge Lutens fragrance that suits me! This is a gorgeous mixture of sweetness and spice. The notes are multifaceted and seem to change every so often. I'll definitely be investing in a bottle!

suile
suile

Liked this one more than I thought I would. It's milder and more wearable than the notes would indicate. The reviews below can't really be improved on by me. I'm on the cusp about buying it, but will certainly test again and give it more thought.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I read fragrance blogs that this would be a Powdery CARNATION fragrance...
I imagined it .....to be a very modern take on the classic BELLODGIA by CARON
which I love for its in your face CARNATION notes....
softened by VANILLA, MUSK and CLOVE.

Boy was I pleasantly wrong.
This fragrance is really spicy. !!!!
PINK PEPPER... PEPPER... PIMENTO(PAPRIKA) are ingredients listed
and they are the are the strongest notes that hit my nose first
they then remain there tingling
much the way Jalapenos peppers tingle
the lips and tongue
This sounds ..terrible,unless you happen to like that kind of FIERY sensation
SERGE LUTENS manages to soften this fiery concotion
with CARNATION FLOWERS and a hint of CLOVE
The NUTMEG is a hidden note .. I could not detect.

The fragrance that it brings to mind for its similar
unique spiciness
If i could suggest such a thing...
AMBRE GRIS by BALMAIN

Both are spicy......and peppery and very masculine in
an upfront manner.
however, Vitriol turns into a light powdery spicy fragrance
which then develops into yes...
a sharp woody scent
and back again ....

A juxtoposition of scents...I know.
a most unusual feat in of itself .
that in the end .. is very unisex !!!

Bravo SERGE!!
You won me over again....with your complexity!

Sugandaraja
Sugandaraja

Vitriol's top notes come on, not with carnation or clove, but with what smells like black pepper and pink bubblegum. Slowly this fades to a transparent, violet-y drydown that never quite loses its pepper note. There's a certain woodiness to this scent, but it's mild and elusive, like some distant hint of Serge Noir hidden in the fragrance. It lasts very well, but stays light in sillage.

I'm rather neutral on this scent. It's neither as daring as I expect from a Lutens, nor as rich. That being said, it's not without interest or badly constructed.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

The notes above don't begin to describe the depth of this fragrance. The initial note is iris. When it dries, I inhale and I am in an exotic place, perusing antique books lined up on mahogany bookshelves, my lips sticky with mango juice, my mouth remembering smoked chili and spice- cooled by the breathing herb garden just outside the window.

*sophi*
*sophi*

It's oriental spicy...clove and carnation seem very prominent in it like the title suggests(vivid-acid carnation).The heart note of nutmeg adds sweetness in it and measures the spiciness a bit...
good lasting power and this gives the sense of being a Luten's creation all the way!

*tested free sample

Ártemis
Ártemis

I also got my free sample this morning and promptly tried :)
Nice flowery/spicy scent! The opening is more masculine for me, but then it turns into powdery spicy unisex clove. When it dries down it becomes confortable and soapy. It is a linear frag and you can smell the clove and pepper notes from the beginning until the end.

ocean.lake
ocean.lake

I am so lucky receiving this free give away sample from Serge Lutens this morning. This fragrance is really spicy. You can even imagine from the notes (clove, pepper, nutmeg, pink pepper, paprika).

It's warm and would be most suitable for winter. As for summer wearing, IMO the drydown will probably energize your day. It develops into sharp woody/cedar compartment with a slight hint of flower. Overall, the clove is quite prominent till the end.