Designers » R S » Chypre « Groups

Basala Shiseido for men

Basala Shiseido for men
dislike

Basala Shiseido for men Pictures

Basala by Shiseido is a Chypre fragrance for men. Basala was launched in 1993. The nose behind this fragrance is Dominique Preyssas. Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, lavender, green notes, fruity notes, clary sage, basil, neroli and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, fir, cinnamon, jasmine, caraway and rose; base notes are labdanum, leather, amber, patchouli, musk, coconut, oakmoss and cedar.

Rosemary Artemisia Lavender Green Notes Fruity Notes Clary Sage Basil Neroli Bergamot

Carnation Fir Cinnamon Jasmine Caraway Rose

Labdanum Leather Amber Patchouli Musk Coconut Oakmoss Cedar

Itasca

Basala Fragrance Reviews

TheLumineri
TheLumineri

I'm fortunate to still have some left - which I use VERY sparingly in fear of running out. Such a GORGEOUS SCENT!!! So disappointing that it's been discontinued. If you happen to come across it, even if it's the Aftershave, BUY IT! Worth every penny, IMHO!

deanyunuss
deanyunuss

i used to wear this beautiful perfume when i was in my early 20s. i loved it so much . Unfortunately, they discontinued it. Hope shiseido will remake it....

velb95
velb95

IT. Ultimamente si può trovarlo soltanto su eBay ed i prezzi sono saliti ai livelli dei profumi di nicchia (€250-350). Peggio di tutto che hai un tasso altissimo delle possibilità di ricevere uno contrafatto, come successo a me. Strano che essendo così richiesto la produzione di Basala non viene rinnovata da Shiseido, che insiste invece di produrre il ZEN, che secondo me anche fra 100 anni non verrà apprezzato come Basala solo dopo 20 anni dalla sua prima uscita.

EN. Lately you can find it only on eBay and the prices have risen to the level of niche perfumes ($350-490). I tried to order one and the perfume that was send me was the fake one. So be careful. It's so strange that being so required, the production of Basala still wasn't renewed by Shiseido, instead of the production of ZEN, which, I think even after 100 years won't be appreciated as Basala today, only 20 years after its first release.

cytherian
cytherian

Some say this fragrance is complex, and you'd certainly think so from the ingredients: Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, lavender, green notes, fruity notes, clary sage, basil, neroli and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, fir, cinnamon, jasmine, caraway and rose; base notes are labdanum, leather, amber, patchouli, musk, coconut, oakmoss and cedar.

Wow, what a nose full you'd expect, right? But in my impression of it, I can't detect many of these notes. Perhaps it's their confluence that blends together so well. For instance, to me I smell sandalwood... but it's not there in the list. Its cousin is--cedar. Perhaps the intermixing of leather and musk with it ends up reflecting sandalwood? The middle notes are almost completely transparent to me. I do sense some rose essence, as well as musk and oakmoss. The base notes do seem stronger than the rest. While the cedar is prominent, it is very tamed and soft. And something about it combined with the musk is just delicious.

In some ways I find Basala to be somewhere between Chanel Antaeus and a Musk forward fragrance like Royall Muske. Frankly, for the kind of crazy prices it has been going for on "that auction site", ultimately I do not think it is really worth it any longer. Unfortunately there are enough people feeling otherwise that keeps the remaining dwindling stock in the on-line marketplaces to be financially challenging. And so... I savor what little I have of it. :-/ 9.4/10 for fragrance, 7.0/10 for value (based on exorbitant market prices).

serch
serch

Este perfume lo compre cuando salio a la venta en 1993,yo me encontraba en Itaia,me llamo la atencion la publicidad,la bottella sobre un fondo de llamas,y me gusto mucho, es elegante , varonil,unico, en mi pais, nunca estubo a la venta, lo conservo como algo muy especial, me lo aplico muy poco, y sabiendo que esta descontinuado mas, me siento afortunado de tenerlo.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

Oh my this was magnificent! There is absolutely nothing quite like it. I brought this back from Europe in the mid-nineties, and being in my 20's I loved it, but perhaps a bit too much for me then. My roommate quite rightly stole it from me, lol and we both would love to get our hands on some today, but it's nearly impossible. This was indeed a true masculine floral herbal oriental spicebomb! The middle notes of caraway, cinnamon and carnation particularly stand out to me in my memory of this masterpiece. The bottle, by Marc Newson, is also noteworthy being by one of the most famous designers in the world. Not sure why he is not noted in the Fragrantica description.

victorgabriel
victorgabriel

if you are interested in purchasing a bottle of Basala, I have one of the first edition, as you know at first I edit the name of Basara, but was quickly superseded by the name of Basala, I have a bottle of the first and rare edition with the name of Basara.
The botelle has even a third of the contents of the perfume.
Would be willing to exchange it for another perfume that I like.
if you are interested you can answer the email palmeral@gmail.com
thanks and regards
Victor from Spain

getcarter
getcarter

Howdy Fragranticans - this is bloody impossible to source in Oz. My brother's holidaying in Japan in 2013 so I'll twist his arm and maybe he'll be able to find me some. From memory, I recall it smelt similar to Antaeus. But different enough for me to "need" both. Oh and BTW, the bottle was designed by world renowned (Aussie!!) industrial designer Marc Newson.

stromfish
stromfish

To me this is not fresh at all, but spicy it is, thats for sure.
Very nice and warm winter frag although I found it hard to go through the whole bottle.

qzka
qzka

I’m also a very big fan go this fragrance. In fact this is my favorite one. It reminds me my first love, beautiful sunny but melancholic autumn, serenity and calming. Basala is so perfect that I cannot imagine better fragrance. All notes makes Basala the most sensual fragrance I’ve ever had. It’s combination of tobacco, wood, cherry, amber, leather and much more cause you can always discover something new in Basala… I’m so unhappy that it’s discounted and I can’t get in anywhere. I tried so many fragrances but I can’t find a similar one. So magical, so wonderful, so unique… like first love. I love Basala.

bp
bp

Sexy, sexy, sexy.
This scent is very cool.
The smell is really attractive.
I also love the fact that it is extremely unique.
Not the best pefume that I've smelled, but it is a very good scent.

vicusik
vicusik

I love this perfume for long time. This is the best perfume for me.
It is discontinued. I am going to miss it.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I'm not sure if it's just the suggestion of the color, but this has a similar fruity opening to Xeryus Rouge. It continues on with pepper and herbs also like Xeryus Rouge, but this is more balmy. In short, I would liken this to a balmy Xeryus Rouge. Not really my cup of tea. It does have less vanilla than the XR, and that's a good thing, but not enough to save it. I will give it a few more wears to see if it grows on me, but at this point, I don't think I would purchase this again.
UPDATE: I did a side by side with Xeryus Rouge, and the opening is VERY similar, but after 15-30 minutes, they start to differ, and after 1 hour the difference is stark. Basara takes a nice dry cedary mossy turn, where XR starts to really sweeten up and even turn sour on my skin. I find the drydown of Basara somewhat flat though. I would have loved a little more artemisia and sage. The cedar is a very nice cedar, and I swear I sense vetiver in the base as well. There is a healthy dose of labdanum, but somehow all this falls flat. Still loads better than Xeryus Rouge.

oxm
oxm

Here we are talking about a perfume that has left his incredible trail over the years Basara, Basala or if you prefer opens with an austere tone of forest and undergrowth of grasses, the idea is to explore the enchanted forests of fairy tales with risks attached, but this fragrance by a sense of daring and courage, rustic touches to keep us anchored to reality with herbs that blend with the sweetness of the flower arrangements entrancing, the fund has a very masculine patchouli and a valuable leather fabulous. the fund Basala reminds Spirit by Hugo Boss, are indeed those scents that I call the witches' cauldron where they come potions and enchanting, it is precisely this ...
The bottle is very pretty reminiscent of the samurai, people who do not have to ask ....
never ......

Akahina
Akahina

I wish I could find this someplace...

davd
davd

Mirar que he probado perfumes de todas las marcas en casi 30 años; pero como este ninguno, el mejor de todos.
Y AHORA LO RETIRAN UNA GRAN PENA

guest_FEDE
guest_FEDE

DONDE SE CONSIGUEN ESTAS FRAGANCIAS SHISEIDO EN ARGENTINA? RESPONDANME POR MAIL A FEOSSCH@HOTMAIL.COM

RobbieX
RobbieX

Tried this in a store back in 1993 - I remember it being a striking fragrance but really gorgeous and complex - a fine cologne ! And, what a great flacon !

moore_or_less
moore_or_less

Complex and bold; not in an overstated way but certainly not understated either. It balances on that fine line of being overtly masculine while maintaining an air of refinement. I am not skilled enough to pick up on the individual notes but I get a wonderful opening of herbs with a drydown of very spicy fir and musk. This is a truly wonderful scent, one I will treasure for as long as I can get my hands on it!

Mihail
Mihail

Earlier I categorically ignored Basala, without having allowed to reveal completely to it on my skin I at once ran in a shower:-)And in vain! If then I thought that it is suitable only for old men now I understand that was an absolute donkey:-) It is tremendous and very individual scent for those who has got tired of monotonous modern perfumery. Basala is the thoroughbred japanese, but not the samurai or a ninjia,it the peace quiet artist who sees the world eyes of the child and all time learns it anew:-)

guest_xman
guest_xman

There is something very manly about this fragrance that makes people turn when you pass by.

I first smelt this fragrance in a GQ magazine ad in 1997. Since then I was hooked on it and I kept asking people to help get one oversea. They thought I made up the name. Eventually a friend went shopping and she stumbled upon it. She bought two bottles for me. I just finished the first bottle and the second bottle is tucked away somewhere.

It is truly a classic fragrance and I wonder why they stopped making it!

guest_Olaf
guest_Olaf

The best perfume from Shiseido!!!Very peppery and unique scent.Maybe come back in future!!!I'm waiting!!!!!

raverdudes
raverdudes

This is an extremely powerful and masculine fragrance. It has a very strong personality. Too bad it's SO hard to find. HIghly recommendable for evenings.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

Somehow similar to Xeryus Rouge,which means, fantastic, spicy... I just wish it could be easily found... and with reasonable price!

hernie
hernie

Delicioso, muy masculino. Pero aquí en Argentina está discontinuado!! Una lástima...

shamus1
shamus1

Certainly a complex fragrance, actually too complex, as if it wants to be all fragrances to all people. The main thing I liked about Basala was it's deep base note of oakmoss. However, all of the intense synthetic spiciness added to it just flattens the oakmoss, pushing it way into the background. Smells like it wants to be Egoiste, Polo, Eau de Monsieur, Eau d'Issey and JOOP all at once, and not really good at being any of those. An average fragrance at best. I bought this about ten years ago, got so sick of wearing it, I threw it in the trash after a month. I've heard it's been discontinued, and I don't miss it.

Kultakutri
Kultakutri

I found it in the local department store, under a major layer of dust. After long trying to hunt it on eBay, where the prices are mad.
When my heart rate got back to passable 200, I tried it. In ten seconds, I fell in love. Lavender, mint, pepper, whoknowswhat, unidentifiable herbs - the memory last week's trip to botanical garden was kicking my shin all the time - rosemary, I suppose.
Ten minutes later, I fell in love again. Some dry spicy notes that vaguely reminded me of Asja surfaced, with a bit of lemon and something sweet. Asja and mojito would be a decent equivalent of heaven.
The drydown is warm and spicy and cooling and vetivery at the same time.

The fragrance changes at least three times, I've never smelled anything like that - there are notes that are almost contradictory - pungent and smooth and soothing, spicy hot and sweet... Tomorrow I'm going to buy it because I just cannot live without it.

Now, judging from the other reviews, I gotta be a big tough guy.

vertigo
vertigo

Chypre-spicy.

Japanese word 'basala' stands for a sanskrit word meaning 'gem', a talisman which daunted the chaos and bad spirits, held by Buddha .
In XIV century, when Japan was in a bad condition, the name 'basala' was given to men of a great spiritual strenght, able to nix the chaos and renew the world.

The originators of the fragrance felt that the last decade of the XX century, with its rush and mess, resmebled the Japanese middle ages. They wanted to create a scent that would help a contemporary man in spiritual rebirth and assert his strenght, intelligence and sensibility.

A man using Basala is not afraid to look at himself critically, he is intelligent, free and sensitive, respects beauty and art.

The red bottle may resemble the silhouette of a samurai.

fqjcior
fqjcior

This one was a dissapointment for me. After a really great and one of a kind begining it changed in the direction I didn't like. It was going weaker and weaker. It lasted - that's true. But I don't like the way it smelled after 2 hours. So I sold it...

Very sensual and very masculine.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Warm, friendly, sound, rather oriental smell. I like when men wear it. Smelled of Basala is a truthworthy and very attractive.

cpk
cpk

Magnifiscent... The top notes are trully scary. And I mean it. Don't let that put you off though. The drydown is sweet, leathery, warm and it lasts...

Basala by Shiseido 4.03 out of 5 based on 98 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Shiseido Basala fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Shiseido Basala, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Basala by Shiseido. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Basala by Shiseido represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.