Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Feminite du Bois Shiseido for women
dislike

I have it: 515 I had it: 295 I want it: 613 My signature: 30

cinnamon
Feminite du Bois Shiseido for women Pictures Feminite du Bois Shiseido for women Pictures Feminite du Bois Shiseido for women Pictures

Feminite du Bois is unusual and recognizable fragrance composed of fruits (plum and pear), elegant flowers (violets, rose, orange blossom), spices and woods. The fragrance is sophisticated and very feminine.

The composition opens with spicy accords of ginger and cinnamon, combined with woodsy elegance of cedar wood. The heart reveals abundance of fruity and feminine floral notes; peach, plum, orange blossom, violets, spices. The base unites cedar, vanilla, sandal wood, benzoin, musk and cinnamon. The fragrance was created by Christopher Sheldrake in cooperation with Pierre Bourdon, in 1992. The bottle was designed by Serge Lutens.

Honey Carnation Ginger Cinnamon Cedar Rose

Bois Oriental

Feminite du Bois Fragrance Reviews

Cassiano
Cassiano

Féminité du Bois means "Femininity of wood" and its fragrance was conceived by Serge Lutens having the Cedar as central theme, in which the ingredient was responsible for about 60% of the composition, according to the official website of the brand. In his words: "expresses the masculine side of femininity and vice-versa".

This review is for the current version, released in 2009. However, this perfume was launched in 1992, for women, when Serge still was the Creative Director of Shiseido. Some say that, at the time, Serge dragged the team involved to Marrakech, in order to show its real intent, which was to convey the essence of Atlas Cedar (the city of Marrakech is situated near the mountains of the High Atlas).

Who had access to the vintage version, states that was much stronger in the woody nuance, besides the fact that the fragrance grew in projection as evolved, while the current stays close to the skin and doesn't scare anymore when applied.
The company has also admitted that the composition has undergone changes to adapt to standards set by the industry. The original version featured notes of cedarwood, orange blossom, Plum, rose, violet, honey, beeswax, clove, cardamom, vanilla and cinnamon. In the current version, the composition brings Moroccan Orange, Turkish rose, Atlas cedar, violets, beeswax, honey, peach, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, sandalwood and musk.

Still, even with the changes, Féminité du Bois is a beautiful perfume. However, it's not feminine, if it ever really was. When it reaches the skin is woody and dense. Its first evolutionary stage is male and intense. Carries the aroma of good niche perfumes created with high-quality raw materials. After about 30 minutes, approximately, begins to evolve into a more floral body, in which the strong aroma of wood and spices gives way to a fragrance of wood and violets. Breathing on the spot applied, you can feel a touch of orange, a soft presence of the rose and a subtle sweetness. At this stage, the fragrance turns into a more unisex scent and stop exhaling. After about 2 hours, arises a spicy and almost salty nuance, which I believe came from the cinnamon.

In my opinion, it is not a feminine scent that can be shared. It is a unisex scent, which has excellent fragrance, but bad projection with moderate duration. For men, perhaps disappoint. For women who like strong and masculine fragrances, but do not give up of the tenderness, is a great option.

celia46
celia46

LeslieKatherine you can try Jungle Kenzo, it has cinnamon, cloves and vanilla!

Lesliekatherine17
Lesliekatherine17

I SOO WANT AN awersome fragrance that has CLOVES in it, very similar to this. When ever I see one on here and it looks good or "Amazing" have you, Of course, it's been discontinued, it so agravating? Please if anyone has knowledge of a sweet and spicy clove scented fragrance, please let me know? I love the smell of cloves, To me it would give of a sweet, mysterious, unique yet comforting smell, which basically sums up my personality. ;)

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

It opens with Cedar. There is a hint of spices (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger) behind it, but cedar dominates fully. It's a fresh, dry cedar. After it warms up a bit a sweet musk with some added sweetness of plum and honey peek out. This is really a lovely transformation. The plum and cedar pair so nicely. It's an interesting pairing, preventing the scent from getting boring. There is also that spice mix peeking out, but it's very understated.

After a couple of hours I mostly get benzoin, plum and honey in front of the cedar with a hint of spices.

The dry down is all sandalwood, benzoin and a nice ginger zing. There is also a nice clean musk in there and a faint memory of the cedar, spices, and honey.

Overall a lovely scent with a nice progression. The sillage is personal, but more than a skin scent and the longevity was about 8 hours or so.

mallaakk
mallaakk

hello everyone

I have a question: do any of you know when this perfume was discontinued?

I found someone who wants to sell the eau timide but was wondering how old this would be and if the smell would still be as the original.

any inout you may have would be helpful thanks

Domenica23
Domenica23

I never owned it but I KNOW I LOVE IT. They told me its not produced anymore, = it doesnt exist anymore?!?!?! As I can see it is very appreciated so why not produce and sell anymore?? I cant wait to have it, the biggest bottle possible, for day and night use!!! BIG LOVE.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

An Oriental fairy tale goddess in the shape of a miracle tree producing the most heavenly fruits, flowers and scents in the whole land. Another splendid aromatic gem by Lutens: cedar, sandalwood and ginger - you can easily smell them individually - coloured in a round, sweet, sparkling and passionate accord of flowers – the violet, the rose, the orange blossoms, together with a refreshing harmony of fruits. Still between the aromatic woods and the uplifting fruity-flower notes there's room for Lutens's signature round oriental resinous sweetness, you can really feel the honey drops and the benzoin, like a warm circle embracing a basket of woods, fruits and flowers. Lutens at his best, effortlessly holding together another splendid, kaleidoscopic, multidimensional Oriental arcadia. Shiseido vintage version is a bit more round, rich and dense than current Lutens' version – I don't smell much more else to be honest(not a fan of that "it's reformulated = it's cr*p" mantra), so if you are not a collector, the current version is good enough.

P.S.: yes, I know - apparently, 43% Iso E. But still...

8,5/10

amaraztavich

to Born for Shalimar, Eau Timide smells very similar in the begining and well to simplify this. I would say that its smells nearly identical at first even the pepper is super strong in eau timide just as in the original. And for a moment youll think you lucked out by getting the timide but youll soon see the difference while the original lasts all day, the timide seems to be gone in an hour. Now to be fair it may just be that I can not smell on myself...bcuz I have had others comment on timide several hours later. So im thinkinking its very close as far as the smell, its the stregnth that fell victim to cost cuts during eau timide's conception. Still very beautiful, and may be perfect for those that find the original to be to potent or loud/ Actally, I think eau timide is much closer to the lutens brand.....just add a bit more florals to eau timide...and u have todays lutens version!

(A side note) thetes so much going on, so many balsamic nuances that I hardly notice the cumin ( which is one of the few spices I can sometimes have a problem with). That is to say if you like and are familar with cumin induced perfumes such ad obsession, rocha's femme, or dune then I doubt you,ll find the amount of coumin in FDB hardly potent enough to be worth mentioning.....I definently pick up the girly spices like cinnamon much more which is a nice balance with the dominant and masculine cedar

guest_luna rebel
guest_luna rebel

I know everyone is saying that this version is so much better than SL's version and to buy Shiseido's version instead, but that is not feasible for most people with prices of the original going for around $380. I say, SL Feminite du Bois is a good substitute for this.

eveclair
eveclair

I bought a sample of Shiseido FdB out of curiosity, not expecting to love it based on the notes listed here. However I was shocked by the fresh cedar when I put it on, and even more in awe as the fragrance developed into a fruity and warm spicy/woody plum/cinnamon/cumin cloud. How does it work?? The cumin is almost wrong or indecent, and so sexy it is manipulative. The cedar keeps it fresh, and the plum and several other notes I cannot identify somehow manages to keep it teetering on the edge of more conventional femininity, while some darker element with a similar effect to pheremone creeps in. Amazing fragrance, one of my favourites.

However, take care when buying a vintage bottle. While I have had much success with vintage frags before, the top and middle notes of this one went overwhelmingly powdery, though the sexy base was intact.

born for shalimar
born for shalimar

Feminite du bois anf eau timide.is there a difference between the two ,is thr timide a different fragrance.i am interested to know as there is no explanation and is the lutens really that uncomparable.many thanks

teresathebarista
teresathebarista

A friend of mine gifted me this last night, saying that it smelled like walking into an ancient library (in a good way). I mostly smell cedar and cinnamon. It smells delightful, but in Florida in September it doesn't feel suited to the temperature. I think this will be a lovely cool weather scent.

Tater Cakes
Tater Cakes

Fortunately I own full bottles of this and the SL version. The original wears like a beautiful negligé. It's refined, and accentuates a woman's beauty by delicately draping itself over her own special essence. It becomes part of you. The SL version has a sharp edge to it that is better suited for a man. The cedar almost stings and curdles the fruit and ginger notes. Not once have I ever received a compliment or comment when wearing it. The original always brings attention from a close proximity. It causes the person to be drawn in, not inundated by a overly familiar scenario of a fragrance wearing a woman, but of a woman's allure being sought out. If you plan to make the investment don't waste it on the SL version as you will be doing yourself a great injustice.

Rene007
Rene007

i wonder how nobody notice that its very similiar with Omania the brown bottle

its sweet spicy cool comfort relaxing with a hint of cola

amaraztavich

I have the eau timide version and it is quite breathtakingly beautiful, don't get me wrong it's not loud but it is somewhat what intense but calming at once. This I think may be more feminine than the original. The rose in this is remarkable, such a beuty. I am comparing this now with the newer version from lutens, and yet the lutens (while also gorgeous) is a bit flat in comparison. And I swear I pick up maybe a touch of amber? anyone else?

MUST8936
MUST8936

"Feminite du Bois" as a fairy tale is all about whispers of tender creatures live in a little dark gothic forest.

mimikins24
mimikins24

For anyone (like me) who has tried the Serge Lutens version of this fragrance and did't understand what all the hype was about --- you must try the Shiseido original. The two versions are like night and day.

This is a rich, resinous, syrupy plum soaking in spices, in particular cinnamon, cumin, and cardamom, all layered over the signature cedar base.

There is not much development in the scent, other than the notes perhaps blend more with time, taking on an insence note. It is delicious from start to finish!

The longevity on this scent is excellent, lasting a full work day. I have a splash bottle of EDP and I have to be careful not to overapply, as it can be heavy. The longevity and silleage are so far superior to the SL version, it is ridiculous. It is also far richer and deeper.

All in all, this fragrance is rich and complex. After acquiring this, I feel like the SL FdB derivatives (Bois Oriental, Bois de Violette, Bois and Fruits) I own are flat and unnecessary. Sadly another masterpiece that is out of production, but I will greatly treasure the bottle I have.

talamantra
talamantra

What is to me Feminite du Bois The queen of an enchanted forest .Season Autumn - Winter
Location A State unknown somewhere in the center of Asia
Cinnamon , Cedar , Plum , Honey , Sandalwood Carnation Oil e few drops Rose Oil , Vanilla
And for the end Rainwater The Queen is ready to take a bath
Maybe the best bottle he designed of Serge Lutens Simple Valuable Different Rare

drummagick
drummagick

An absolutely gorgeous, restrained oriental. This oriental says class like no other I have experienced. On my skin it opens with a gorgeous cedar note, plum, honey, just a hint of spice. The middle notes are unfolding with violet and a bit of peach. I get the tiniest hint of incense too, but I don't it listed in the notes. I can't imagine why this was ever discontinued, this is so stunningly beautiful! This is one I MUST have a full bottle of!

Many, many thanks to the lovely akats for the generous sample!

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Deep and mysterious and very oriental. I'm a sucker for fragrances like this one and it's such a crying shame that it's no longer available. It reminds me of a cedar chest with sweet spice and violets. I was lucky enough to acquire it through a great swap with Angelica 000 and it sure is a wrist sniffer. I'll be keeping this discontinued masterpiece for very special occasions. Mm mmmm!!

Raquel Gonçalves
Raquel Gonçalves

Hello! Do you think the miniaturas are original?I found some to by in a site and was wonder about...
Thank you!
Abraços
Raquel

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Feminite du Bois is a very nice, malicious fragrance.

Feminite really, smells like Poison to me. It has that plummy incense, with sharp, sticky woods and a drop of honey. Feminite also has its original cedar-creamy quality, which gives it more depth and originality.

The middle is very sweet, with the plum mixing with flowers, and also has a very niche aphrodisiac amber quality. The incense develops a cumin-like quality, and gives a body and character to the fragrance.

The base is the remnants of a pile of incense-burnt ashes, plum, roses and a creamy, powdery vanilla-cedar accord. A very sensual fragrance that lasts an incredibly long time.

Thank you very much to Shiseido for making this beautiful fragrance.

P.S. - The Serge Lutens version of this fragrance is really not the same. To me, it lacks longevity along with sillage and intensity.

LeggysMum
LeggysMum

Aaahhhhh....its all been said before, and more eloquently than I could, Paolalou said it...masterpiece, my love since '92 etc.. Heartbroken since discontinued

All I know regarding this is... If Catherine Earnshaw had a scent for her rendezvous with Heathcliffe...this was it!!! Dark, earthy, seductive, unlimited and unrestrained...that was her and that is this magical scent Maybe that's why he didn't open the window....he knew if he caught that scent he was lost forever (and he was!)

Highly recommended for hilltop walks through moors and intimate (even clandestine...) occasions

I now HAVE to try SL FdB to see if I can recapture the magic

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Finally got a hold of some of this! And I'm relieved that it does smell very similar to my lovely Dolce Vita! I'm relieved because I was afraid I would fall in love with this and start selling off the furniture & the dogs to acquire bottles of it! I did spring for a big bottle of the Eau Timide, and I hope that it will suffice, scent wise.

But yes, the reviews that compare this to Dolce Vita are spot on to my nose. D.V. being a bit more ginger (spicier/pepperier) up top, and yes, "sunnier"... brighter... (though the dry down of D.V., while not as richly prominent as FdB in the opening & heart, does result in a skin scented balmy/sweet/powder that, actually, has greater longevity than FdB. So, I'm happy to stay w/ D.V. just on sheer cost comparison & longevity of wear). These are not identical twins, but boy they sure seem like they came from the same womb.

FdB has the feminine sensual sexual smell to it as well which I thought would be off putting, but I think if I was trying to ensnare a man, he'd be helpless around this stuff! VERY sexy! rarrr... Can't believe they'd stop making something this wonderful... this is a beautiful elixir. The cedar makes it magical, to me. I love a good woodsy cedar and plum and this is just divine love in a bottle.

Sultry, balmy, plummy, mentholated at times, ginger as well (and reminds me of S.L. 5 O'Clock Ginger in surprising wafty moments)... shape-shifting, yet not, and I am now curious about the S.L. brand version of this.

All in all, I'm glad I was able to experience this. I have two .25ml tiny little adorable bottles that I will keep for a long time I think and just use the Eau Timide. Those tiny miniatures will put my grand-kids through college at this rate!

Even with my D.V. comparisons, I think I'll jump on the bandwagon here: >>>Feminite du Bois Shiseido perfume is liquid vintage gold!<<<

(but thank GOD for Dior Dolce Vita... and yes, the NEW stuff!!!)

paolalou
paolalou

Feminité du Bois by Shiseido has been my love from the first sniff in 1992 and it was my signature until it was discontinued.
I was impressed by his description, which revealed the revolution in the world of fragrance, being the first to have the same note in the head, in the heart and in the base: a fantastic, fascinating and intoxicating absolute of Atlas cedar... Absolutely a masterpiece!!!

Scatje
Scatje

It 's a pitty that they don't sell it anymore, this charming sweet warm sent

Deep and truly oriental fragrance of dried fruits with spices!

Most of all I feel the plum, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, honey, beeswax and cedar notes in this fragrance. The plum note smells like a dried plum more. I would say that I feel much more the clove note and the cardamom note than the cinnamon note in this fragrance. The cedar woody note is also very noticeable. And also I feel the honey and beeswax notes warmth and sweetness.

It really has similarities with Dolce Vita by Dior. As I see, one of the noses behind these two fragrances is Pierre Bourdon. But as I see, Dolce Vita was created lately. As for me I feel the main difference in fruity and floral notes in these fragrances. Most of all the plum note in Feminite du Bois and the magnolia and apricot notes in Dolce Vita make these fragrances different enough. While the spicy (except the clove note) and woody notes are very similar, except also similarity in the peach fruity note. I would say that Feminite du Bois is more dark, deep and less sweet, while Dolce Vita is more sweet and radiant.

But actually I feel more similarities with some of the fragrances by Serge Lutens, created by Christopher Sheldrake, who is the nose behind this fragrance, too, as I see. For example, I feel some similarities with the honey and the beeswax notes in Chypre Rouge, with the spiciness in Five O`Clock Au Gingembre and the smoke-dry nuances in Fumerie Turque.

This fragrance smells dark and mysterious enough.
Gourmand oriental fairy-tale!

I really like it:)

gatsby
gatsby

I want this perfume - anyone for a swap?

natle
natle

Plum and cedar happiness. Love it!

Симба
Симба

Не раз слышала, что Феминита- аромат, навевающий грусть,либо депрессивный...Я же воспринимаю ее глубокой , темной, но весьма позитивной, и чувствую себя в капельке Феминиты уютно, как ведьма в ступе.
Не представляю, что же грустного может быть во вкуснейшем сливовом варенье, сваренном с пряностями, которые не дают ему скатиться в банальный джем к завтраку, а превращают в настоящее лакомство для гурманов. Обожаю!!!

И ооочень довольна, что успела запастись парой-тройкой флаконов!

emily7
emily7

First prickly, almost masculine cedar softly transforms into something that - to my humble nose - smells like a love child of a passionate Rochas Femme and an unconventional McQueen Kingdom; a magic, quiet forest of pale, dry cedar trees bearing most sensual fruits ever - plums. Sounds weird, but smells divine, alluring and utterly feminine.

After an eternity of waiting to get my hands on this beauty, today I finally realized I have smelled it someplace, sometimes, in the past...

A timeless classic and perfect signature (skin) scent.

mariana1974
mariana1974

Wow..I had read so much about this one..and just wanted to have it. Today was my first sniff and hallelujah!! It was worth every euro :) It's sweet, dark, spicy..everything I love in a fragrance. The crazy thing is that it reminds me of Aroma Exalting by Guerlain, which is now also one hard to find. I am lucky enough to own both. I'm curious to know if anyone has compared these two. Anyway..this was a blind buy and I will never regret it! Why are all the beautiful things discontinued or very hard to find? Well, it gives us something to crave for right?

Maying Prantis
Maying Prantis

I adore this perfume, used to have it as a teenager. Quite expensive but worth every penny. The cedar wood makes is sexy yet comforting. Buying it again for sure.

glorious1
glorious1

I bought this scent this year. I've been purchasing purfume for years and have heard so much about it and for some reason I never sniffed it.
I bought it unsniffed!! I was terrified that I wouldn't like it. Some people weren't wild about it! I CANNOT imagine!!
I ADORE it. I mean it!!
It is one of my TOP 3!!! I was soooooo thrilled when I got it!!

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I just recieve my 'restock' bottle and ooh do i love this stuff, however if you cant find this and or it's out of your price range, I'd suggest trying to hunt down a bottle of Estee Lauder's 'Sensuous Noir' ... many similarities.. Whiile it is more expensive than most Estee lauders (considering the largest size is a 1.7 ad 80 usd's) it's still much much less espensive than feminite du bois. I do prefer it over Sensuous Noir.. but not really by all that much, estee's sensuous noir definently comes in at a close second:)

edit - i now prefer estee sensous noit ...but they are very close, and who knows this could change back, lol

letbythenose
letbythenose

One of my favourite perfumes ever. Great on Feminine and masculine skin. It is a beautiful symphony of Cedar wood, Chinese Cinnamon and musk. All the rest fills in as a perfect master peace al a Sheldrake.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

I've kept a bottle in my china cabinet because the the bottle is just so unusual. I remember a perfume lady once told me that the bottles were hand blown and therefore, were all unique in their own way. Then again, she could have conned me! Anyway, I remember it being spicy, peppery, slightly sweet and quite mature at the time (mid 90's). I went through a few bottles of it too, quite hastily I might add!! I don't think you can buy it anymore, which is a damn shame!!

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

Annie, that was fabulously interesting, I just love greek mythology, Thanks you so much for that :)

Aqua218
Aqua218

Anniebanannie - What a beautiful, thoughtful review! So full of emotion and vivid imagery. As a lover of Greek & Roman mythology, I really enjoyed reading it - thank you! I love FdB as well and your review has given me a whole new mystical appreciation for it.

anniebanannie
anniebanannie

“I may be numberless, I may be innocent
I may know many things, I may be ignorant
Or I could ride with kings and conquer many lands
Or win this world at cards and let it slip my hands
I could be cannon food, destroyed a thousand times
Reborn as fortune's child to judge another's crimes
Or wear this pilgrim's cloak, or be a common thief
I've kept this single faith, I have but one belief

I still love you
I still want you
A thousand times the mysteries unfold themselves
Like galaxies in my head
On and on the mysteries unwind themselves
Eternities still unsaid
'Til you love me”

A Thousand Years by Sting

One of the saddest and most poignant tales in Greek mythology, in my opinion, is that of Orion and Artemis. Artemis was proud goddess, a fierce huntress, and known to be cold...but she had feminine wiles that were just as memorable. She was beautiful, elegant, nurturing, and mysterious. Who wouldn’t want to touch her glowing face, embraced by that lovely head of shining, dark brown hair? This was a notion she perhaps never understood, and maybe the reason she may have killed the one man who loved her for all idiosyncrasies...her soulmate, Orion. Handsome, strong, tall and beastly Orion. Who wanted to hunt every animal on the Earth to satisfy his wild spirit, or perhaps to impress a certain wild woman. The lovable giant who had so much love to give and needed much in return, and never got. Through perseverance, he finally got his wish, and became Artemis’ favorite...

So close they became that one day, Artemis’ brother Apollo (who was also unlucky in love) decided to give his sister a challenge. He knew very well of his sister’s prideful will, how she never backs down from a fight. He told her to shoot a black figure that stood in the ocean. Artemis did not know her beloved Orion could walk on water (a gift given by his father Poseidon), thus did not think twice to shoot her fatal arrows. That night, powerful waves rolled Orion’s lifeless body onto shore, and Artemis, realizing the error of her ways, placed his body among the heavens. For all the universe to see. He appears as a shining giant, with a Lion’s hide, his bow and arrows, and his faithful dog Sirius by his side. Chasing the Pleiades right above him, to keep him entertained. The moon that became his religion, lighting his way....is so far away, yet so close. A moon and a star never touch.

This story has always inspired a pang in my heart, and unbelievably, so has this perfume. A beautiful masterpiece. The lady of the woods...mysterious, romantic, smoky. Who could resist her? Perhaps the most shallow of men...and even they fall for this. This makes me dream of what it would be like if Artemis and Orion ever made love. Strange but...wonderful. Violent, warm, and after, soothing, peaceful. They would spend their passion on grass kissed by violets, underneath a sapping plum tree. A campfire brings warmth. At the end, an air of recognition passing between them, as if they are wondering, how could so much love pass between two people, in such a fleeting amount of time. Something only they would know, hidden in that forest. Like the song (A Thousand Years) and the tale, not everything is supposed to be cheerful and light. Life would be too boring if it were. It's about love lost, the unanswered questions, the denial, still wanting and the uncertainty of life. It is the story of both genders, as I think this would fit both. The most beautiful love song I know, for one of the most beautiful fragrances ever made.

I feel confused. I didn't like Feminitè de Bois because it didn't agree with my chemistry.
Now I read that many compare FdB to Dolce Vita...
Uhm, yes, very similar, but wait a moment! Which Dolce Vita are we talking about? The old gorgeous luminous airy woody spicy cinnamon that warmed one of my winters 10 years (sic!) ago or the bland, flat, faint imitation they sell now? Is it the death of real sandalwood?
Well, at the moment FdB is waaaay better than new Dolce Vita!

eid-althani
eid-althani

yum peache jasmine Cardamom and apricot cant go wrong luv it in evrey meaning serge lutens should be proud about this master piece the spices and woods blended very well with soft and sweet aprict then honey wich gives it a real warmth and the cedar wood gives it the eartnes complicatd but good one of kind

Yanna
Yanna

This smells exactly like wooden color crayons while sharpened. And than changes into Dolce Vita by Dior.

Tracyellen1619
Tracyellen1619

This is the one that got away...
I tried this when I was 19 or 20 and liked it, but being on a very tight budget, never purchased it. I would "visit" the tester at Marshall Fields and there was just something about this evocative scent that is like no other. By the time I went to purchase it, it was gone. Imagine my excitement when I found out that I could purchase the Serge Lutens version, even if I did have to call Canada to get it shipped. I like it, but it definitely didn't make me feel like the Shiseido version did. I thought that I didn't remember it correctly, so I bought a decant from The Perfumed Court. Yes, yes, yes!!! This is what I remember! The SL version is spicier, more cinnamon, less plum and cedar. The dry down is pleasant, but not haunting like the Shiseido version. I know it probably has a lot to do with new regulations concerning ingredients, so I need to buy the vintage. I am leery of purchasing something off eBay, has anyone had any luck with any online sellers?
I could kick myself for not buying it when I could.

sofiii
sofiii

Feminite du Bois is a gorgeously sweet spicy and uttly stunning and dark perfume to me. Thanks to a lovely member here for the sample :)
It starts with a burst of deep, dark, spicy cinnamon and soon the sweetness in the background catches up and dances well with the cinnamon. It feels dry and silk smooth at the same time.

Later on, it turns quite woody with a slight woody creamy touch (it’s not like gardenia creaminess or vanilla creaminess, the creamy smell here is more like a sweet creamy feel amplified from the wood). Somehow it makes me think about those plum jerky you can easily get from an Asian grocery shop, and the sweet-creamy smell reminiscent the pit of the plum jerky a lot. Somehow I can see why I love Bond No.9 Chinatown quite a lot, both Chinatown and Feminite du Bois have this intriguing and somehow addictive sweet creamy lovely woody scent there with a faint hint of cinnamon spicy in the background at this stage.

The final dry down is quite gorgeous in a dark, smoky slightly leather-y hinted sense, along with the well-blended creamy woody and sweet cinnamon-y spicy smell; it makes me think about a female fatal.

Well done Shiseido! Worth trying and if you were tossing in-between this one and Dolce Vita by Dior, I would highly recommend Feminite du Bois because it’s much well balanced and well made with a deep and more fascinating personality despite the superficial similarity.

cloyd42
cloyd42

A rare case where the vintage (Shiseido) and the reformulation (Lutens) are different but both great. I've got the Shiseido on one wrist and the Lutens on the other and have been comparing and contrasting for quite some time. I prefer the Shiseido but the Lutens is so good that I'm not going to scour eBay paying increasingly extortionate prices. With that being said:
the Shiseido is more subtle, with woods predominating and the fruit, especially the plum, is less sweet than liquer-ish: dry, cool with some bite. As much as I love the opening it's the cinnamon-sandalwood-cedar drydown that makes this marvelous. I had dinner last night with a group from the UAE and the gentleman sitting next to me initially insisted that my perfume was a particularly fine Middle Eastern oud and incense perfume and didn't believe me until he smelled the bottle. Like it or love it, this is definitely a treasure.

A different and interesting take on the same set of notes is Ineke's Evenings Edged in Gold. If you love Femininite you should check it out.

Sillage: 2-3 ft
Persistence: 4-5 hours
Fabulosity: the pearl without price
Price to value ratio: very good

chrischourma
chrischourma

A fantastic scent of a great harmony exactly as the name of it "Feminite du bois". Woody with a good lasting. I tried this and instantly felt inside a "bois"! Very well balanced. I think that the philosophy of Shiseido is accurate to what this represents. Balance and smells that bring your sentiments into that.

scentiment
scentiment

this fantastic scent of dried plum tones, sandalwood and cedar makes this spicy concoction someting very recognizable and special. a fun story is that my perfumista friand once made a dessert based on dried prunes, spices and cedar wood oil. in essence making EDIBLE FEMINITE DU BOIS. it was AMAZING.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Even if you hate this fragrance is impossible to say this doesn't smell unique.

It has taken some time for me to appreciate this evolving powerful fragrance.

When I think of Feminite Du Bois, the things that come to my mind are: Deepest emotions, a wet cedar forest, hints of dark cinnamon, a poison violet.

Unbeatable sillage and lasting power, so this one is best dabbed, not sprayed.

This scent is like Angel you love it or hate it. Just don't take the risk of buying this one unsniffed.

passionata20
passionata20

This amazing fragrance has been discontinued! It is a real tragedy! I know there is still a Serge Lutens version but i have heard from many FdB lovers (and this is also my opinion) this new version is not that concentrated and lacks of richness of an old one. Also it doesn´t stays on for long and has lost it´s variety, not everchanging anymore.
First when i read reviews that it is similar to Dolce Vita i was surprised and even angry! It is not! I am a huge fan of dolce vita and wearing this one today and i can say that in some way they have something in common the warm pine (?) note. But DV is frizzy sweet, like a soda pop and FdB is more mature and classy chypre!
And it reminds me of the thing they use in churches called olibanum. This thing gets people in trance and the same this perfume does to me!!! If you´re ever been to orthodox church then you will understand what i am talking about.

If anyone has a bottle of pure perfume or EDP of Shiseido´s FdB and willing to sell it for the reasonable price, please contact me!

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

omg this is gorgeous. got a sample today and it's just awesome ! balmy beeswax, very alluring woods and spicy cinnamon with juicy plum in a bottle. a very prominent sandalwood beautyful layered on the slightly vanilic base. a gem! unfortunately too hard get a full sz bottle of this. :(

great sillage, staying power very good on me.

SHISEIDO FEMINITE DU BOIS EAU DE PARFUM 100ML=249,95€

0.0

BellaCoconut

The eau parfum is a more intense version of the fragrance, whereas the eau timide is lighter, pared down a little. I have tried both and suggest you try the parfum first, it does have better sillage, I find the eau timide doesn't last quite as long on me. The parfum is more expensive and harder to find but well worth it. Otherwise get a small sample first. I buy whatever i can get my paws on! Good luck!

Silvi
Silvi

I love this perfume, I would like to be my signature scent, but unfortunately I have only a small amount and keep it for special moments.
Can anybody tell me is there any difference in flavor and durability of EAU TIMIDE and EAU de Parfum?

jenninoble
jenninoble

Bought myself the Serge Lutens version for Xmas and love it - very similar to the old Shishedo version. But very pricey at aus$175 for a small bottle!

BellaCoconut

I first tried Feminite Du Bois back when it was first released by Shiseido in 1992. I was only 16, but I immmediately fell in love with the heady, exotic warmth of this fragrance, and have worn it ever since! ( apart from when I have run out) It is my absolute favourite. I reaally do love to try and wear other fragrances, but this is truly my one and only first "love" :)
It is warm, heady and somewhat sweet, the top notes are quite overwhelming but it dries down to such a rich and sexy scent, I always feel beautiful wearing it.
To me is a warm night walking through an enchanted forest, the smell of damp wood and over-ripe fruit...a hint of fragrant incense in the air. It is very complex, after so many hours it softens down but there's always a shimmer of something warm and animalic there.
I was just so horrified when I heard it was discontinued, and from then on I try to buy bottles when I can. I have yet to try Serge Lutens' newer, more 'revealed' version, but I must say if it close enough to this I am sure i'll love it.

nezzabel
nezzabel

I tried it today, with high expectations and I'm disappointed!

As I grow up I tend to like more and more woody and spicy fragrances instead of light florals and floral fruity fragrances. A note that I really love in fragrances (specially male fragrances) is cinnamon, so I thought that I would love Feminite du Bois! Wrong!

Feminite du Bois opens cinnamon-y and deep and marvellous but five minutes later all I can smell in my skin is pot pourri! Only pot pourri! Floral woody pot pourri... maybe I'm not mature enough to appreciate it or not sophisticated or knowledgeable enough, in this world of pefumes, to view the perfection and the masterpiece that other reviewers do, but one thing I know for sure: right now, I don't want to smell like pot pourri!

guest_minnik
guest_minnik

If you want to wear different parfum,this is for you.I was bought ten years ago and little heavy for me.But I'm 35 and i think its not heavy.

efm
efm

This is my all time favorite. I now use it miserly as it is no longer available in Australia.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been able to source Shisiedo FdB recently.

aromaminx
aromaminx

sadly,i have been unable to get this perfume for ages here in aussieland.
having said that,what i remember is the sexy purple bottle,and the very complex juice it contained.
sweet ,intoxicating,mysterious and...on a dark cold grey rainy winter's day...it comforts and brightens my day.
as many have commented here,a ragrance you fall in love with............or hate

kittymoon
kittymoon

It smells like a dark, viscous plum liqueur infused with cinnamon, cardamom, woods and honey. Oriental, mellow, wild cat. It develops into a firework of flowers, spices, warmth and sharpness. It's very passionate at that stage with a hidden, underlying smell of having sex. You feel very naughty soon when it calms down as an innocent religious insence with a hint of plum. A confusing fragrance, not for every woman, not for every night.

LIN
LIN

I wanted to like it.. but i just don't!! it smells like a sharp scent of cola, it's not soft and not feminin at all. my boyfriend hates it even more than me, he just can't stand it!!

bloodflower
bloodflower

I was very intrigued to test this perfume, most of the notes listed are things i love to smell. at first when i wore it, it gave me a spicy and yet dry feeling, even kind of soapy i must admit, i felt the ginger the honey the plum the cardamom but there was a very familiar feeling, t reminded me strongly of something and after squeezing my head i found it! It is like Dior Poison (on me) but in a smoother way and it is more chic than the loud and intoxicating Poison which I happen to love. and i'm loving this too so far, on me is like something i can describe as "clean spicy" lasting power so and so though.

Adelm
Adelm

I have a love/hate thing going on with Feminite du Bois. On me, it is a shapeshifter fragrance. At times, the woody plum comes forward in a soft and sweet way. It is this facet of FdB that I so love. I could immerse myself in that gorgeous luscious scent. But, underneath, there lurks a cumin scent which at times recedes far into the background and at other times becomes more prominent. This cumin scent, to my nose, is rather - how shall I say this discreetly - sometimes somewhat crotch-like and sometimes somewhat armpit-like. There, I said it. I've read elsewhere that FdB smells like an artistic perfume interpretation of a woman's nether region and it does. I'm not comfortable with that aspect at all and I wish it were absent in the fragrance. I may have to sit with this one awhile and see if it evolves further. I have a sample of the SL version of FdB and it has much less "skank" for want of a better word.

Edit: After 3 hours I reapplied. Amazingly enough, no cumin odor. Instead, I am getting all of the gorgeousness of this fragrance: the clean woody plum with the hint of clove and cinnamon. Simply breathtaking. I think my initial problem with the fragrance stemmed from having applied it to freshly showered skin. I have noted in the past that with certain fragrances, applying it right after showering somehow changed the fragrance for the worse. Perhaps it is because my skin pH is altered from bathing. Anyway, it appears in my case, waiting a few hours will reward me with a cumin-free luscious scent.

2nd Edit after a few days of wear: Although waiting a long time after bathing to apply in order to minimize the skank factor, I must say at times it is still subtly present. It comes and goes, receding and coming forward. Over it, however, is the most beautiful clean scent that I can't get enough of. Since I very rarely see FdB described as a fragrance with a skank factor, perhaps it is just me. But, be advised, there is a skank (b.o.) thing going on with FdB that may be offputting to some. There is a "clean" and "dirty" juxtaposition here that is so odd to me. I know this is a masterpiece and perhaps that's what makes it so. I clearly admit it could be that I'm unsophisticated with regard to perfumes, but it's just weird to me to have a B.O. scent in fragrance. I mean, I bathe to get rid of that smell, I'm not sure I see the point of spending money to apply that smell.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

The first time I tested this scent, I wasn't impressed-I thought "sour and spicy wood, kind of light, kind of dark, but where's the strength, the dryness, the sweetness, the mystique?"

Ah, the mystique...
I tried again today, and I think I could easily use up more than one bottle of this fascinating composition.
The cedar in Femininite du Bois is quite strong, and blends well with the plum, keeping the plum note from being prune-sweet. I can smell the orange blossom, the cinnamon and the honey, but thankfully this is not really such a sweet scent! This is far more subtle than Dolce Vita, and I don't mean "lighter". Feminite du Bois is truly woody, with the warmth of sandalwood to balance the sharpness of cedar-and the incense element thanks to benzoin makes this lively. The femininity of wood is a shape-shifting femininity-One moment dry, and then sweet...one moment not there, and then intensely present....If you like this, it will like you. Don't buy Dolce Vita just because this is discontinued, if you love the complexity here.

Glorious and understated, Feminite du Bois is very Japanese without staying within an "Oriental Woody" box.

Malegria
Malegria

I received a generous sample from a wonderful Fragrantica member and it was like a miracle. I wanted to try this mysterious scent for ages!
I saw many reviews on it and I knew it must be something I may really like. Well, it is. For me it is a "Dolce Vita meets Kenzo Jungle L`Elephant" fragrance, and it has the best of each.I`d say that everything in Feminite du Bois is about plum, clove and cinnamon, everything else is just a frame to show off the best of three notes.
It starts as a gentle honey plum, almost tame...until it quickly turns spicy and sharp thanks to a massive amount of cloves and cinnamon.Just as I was afraid that I can`t take this spice attack anymore, it became mild and tame again, rich with sandalwood. The playfulness of this scent is admirable, I can`t imagine that it would sound "flat" on anyone.
One of the greatest, for sure.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I wasn't sure what to expect when I tried this, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I was pleasantly surprised or disappointed by my sample of what I assume is the original Shiseido formula. It starts out badly with a blast of something like super synthetic sandalwood, but fairly quickly changes to a dry, dusty cedar-sandalwood scent that lasts for a few hours. That's the bois. OK - is that all there is? Eventually a subtle blend of something else comes through, sort of a fruity, cinnamon, benzoin scent, pleasant, but not something that would make me go out and buy a larger quantity than the 1 ml sample that I have. I don't usually read other reviews before posting mine, but a couple of them are visible as I write and I see that one mentions Murasaki, one of my all-time favorites. Feminite du Bois just can't compare. The one thing that Feminite does have going for it is that it lasts and lasts. I put it on this morning and am still smelling the nice tail end of it it tonight.

lilith
lilith

I received this wonderful scent for Christmas. I recall when Feminite de Bois was first released back in 1992. An intruiging fruity oriental which, to me has a strong plum,honeyed apricot scent mixed with a hint of zest and a teaspoon of spices, all warmed exotically by the cedar, vanilla and musk. Unique and sensual. A true masterpiece to be added to the hall of legendary perfumes.

libertybelle
libertybelle

I really really like this fragrance. The cedar and cinnamon opening was appealing and it settled down to fruit. I will need to give it a while to see how it plays out but it seems to be a perfect scent for this time of year and it makes me feel warm.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Serge Lutens is crafting some great stuff!
This one is one of them... Well I'll buy this for my woman for sure in 2010!
Sexy, sensual for romantic use wow!
Only minus like most of fragrance; its longevity-sillage is average.

zara
zara

This is perfection in a bottle. Ideal for fall and winter, a true classic. Warm with the plum, honey and cinnamon but not overly sweet thanks to cedar. some complain about longevity, but on me, as somebody wrote, the scent plays a bit hide-and-seek, disappears and then reappears. stays rather close to skin.

marysasmiro
marysasmiro

My first encounter with this unique perfume was back in 1994.As a 18 years old college student in Sydney, my friends were so surprised I loved this strong woody notes fragrances.None of them like it, but I keep liking this perfume until now. It smells, spicy, woody and quite strong but surprisingly, it still gives you the sense of femininity.The unique bottle also worth to be a collectible item. Surge Lutens surely is a great creator behing it.

jemma
jemma

My impressions of this perfume are proba that I had enough to find his great resemblance to the Dolce Vita by Dior.Tvarde similar to me, based solely Femminite du Bois becomes sweet without feeling cinnamon Dolce Vita.

Mals86
Mals86

Very lovely stuff - rich, warm, woody-fruity-spicy. However, each time I test it, I find that it disappears from my skin within about three hours, which is not the usual experience.

And then, too, I prefer the similar Dolce Vita for its sunniness.

Edit: I do find that FdB does the disappear-reappear later trick on me. It vanishes three hours after application, is undetectable for a few hours, and then the wonderfully deep, rich base reappears much later, lingering very close to the skin.

kewart
kewart

This is a dark, sultry beauty. I would compare it to deep purple silk - plummy, sensuous and smooth.The woody/plummy notes are to die for. This is a really "womanly" scent that makes the wearer feel cosseted and special.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

Allexa,you are totally right!I tried this today,it was soo good..i am smelling it now on me hand,just like dolce vita,almost better..I so want it!

allexa27
allexa27

Believe me or not this is a DOlce Vita`s twin.They smell exactly the same.I really can belive it!!!I love them both:)

Such a shame! I tested this scent lately and got disappointed. It's not new, I think I've tried many years ago and disliked it. Unfortunately Feminitè de Bois didn't agree with my chemistry or even my nose. On me it smells like hard dry old furniture with nauseous beewax for polishing. So bad. I wanted to like it. I'm sure it's very original and unsual and well-made but my skin says No or FdB says, I don't know...
It would be fantastic if it smelled like the listed notes, but it doesn't on me. Only furniture and beewax.
The bottle is so beautiful!

Trvevil
Trvevil

When I sprayed it it opened up very balmy, resinious- I was like ..Balm? Balm!
It was like herbal balm with minty or eucalipt flavour and also honey. Luckily it dried fast.
I wasn't sure if I like this one, but when I walked out of the store I discovered carnation with honey (honey disappears quite fast). Carnation was the one of leading roles on my wrist. But it doesn't just smell of carnation + it's friend notes. After 20 or so minutes it's like church incense with carnations and flowers floating gently around- it reminds me of church, some time of funeral, but I love it- it's warming and truly feminine. If you sniff it from far you get inviting feminine carnations, walk closer and burn your nose with incense.
Dry down is very dirty and sexy with cinnamon.
Now I know what can I expect of Serge Lutens perfumes. It's definitely my next catch- I see that it's almost hard to find one. Also the price is more than worth for it.
Feminite Du Bois is definitely my new love : it's all what I seek in perfume-
* unusual* challenging* unique* sexy*
* mysterious* dark
at the same time!
But be careful with this one- can turn into bad bo smell. Lol. I recommend it for colder days. ^^
---
Edit. My 50ml bottle was stolen y.y rip my love fdb I miss U (((( Can't find it anymore.. Probably will have to get SL's Fdb .-.

Lunohodik
Lunohodik

For me its the best fragrance ever!
It is simply perfect!

In this one I perfectly hear all the notes without reading about its composition first. All notes are composed into the greatest hit of perfumery! Woody floral resinous fruity notes could be heard distinctly from the first seconds its sprayed on to the drydown. These notes and the whole composition are pleasant. It doesn't need time to develop, its gorgeous from the begibbibg til the end.
Truly perfume for all times uber-feminine, the name speaks for itself!
Everything is excellent, magnificent, superb (can't find enough adjectives:) here, scent, pacaging, bottle- so soft and nice to hold, it fits perfectly into small feminine hand.
I think its a hymn of all times to the ageless eternal beauty.

No wonder that good half of perfumes in Serge Lutens's line are its successors, who are following and imitating it, or you may say that half of SL perfumes are variations of the One and Only Feminite du Bois! I hear similarities not only in the de Bois series which are ment to be variations of FdB, but for instance Rousse resembls the idea ot this perfume too only in more spicy-cinnamon way. Oh and how I could forget - Dolce Vita has followed its steps too.

No.1 masterpiece, and chef-d'oeuvre!
Bravo Christopher Sheldrake and Pierre Bourdon!!!
Loud applause!

Heh, I just reread my review, well its pretty similar to those I read before, but you can't say anything much different about FdB:)

Tanya80
Tanya80

This oriental woody perfume is something totally different to me, and I love it to try new absolutely different perfumes. I want to have it so bad in my collection:)

Auguszta
Auguszta

This is one of my all-time favourites, I just never get tired of it. It's rich, woody, aromatic and warm, with a fair dose of spices but still no oriental in the usual sense. The plum, which is something I usually avoid, doesn't bother me at all - all the ingredients blend wonderfully. Sillage and lasting power are both excellent. Highly recommended!

Niovi
Niovi

There is something in it (think cinnamon)that is tickling pleasantly your nose but the whole perfume is a bit complex and doesn't let you enjoy that thing. I will give it one more shot though...

Classic-style oriental, with heavy fruits and woods. Complex and layered, but just not my style. Not really for day wear.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

It's beautiful at first, but the dry down on my skin is terrible - smells like playdough and cumin, and some fruits. I've heard so many great things about this perfume and I was very sure I'd love it, but it doesn't work for me. I adore the idea and the initial spray, though. When it's first sprayed, you get so many separate notes, especially ginger, cedar, and plum, but a couple minutes later it just starts to form into a big mess where you can't pick the notes. I like that it is a bit masculine and it isn't soft and warm. It's spicy and demanding. Wish I was able to wear it!

jeca
jeca

This beautiful fragrance is in Sheldrake style - warm and sweet, very complex and sophisticated, like most of Lutens perfumes.

guest_Tina
guest_Tina

I have been a Shiseido fan for a long time at least 20 years. I have had this fragrant in the past, but preferred the old Murasaki better since it discontinued. I am saving up money to buy Shiseido Zen.