Designers » R S » Floral Green « Groups

Murasaki Shiseido for women

Murasaki Shiseido for women
dislike

Murasaki Shiseido for women Pictures

Murasaki by Shiseido is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Murasaki was launched in 1980. Top notes are gardenia, galbanum, peach, hiacynth and bergamot; middle notes are lily, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss and vetiver.

Gardenia Galbanum Peach Hiacynth Bergamot

Lily Orris Root Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Leather Sandalwood Amber Musk Oakmoss Vetiver

Murasaki Fragrance Reviews

naomi.scott
naomi.scott

There something so unusual about this perfume. When I first sprayed this I couldn't figure out if I liked it or not owing to the bright white florals which are not usually my first choice. On me the white florals are present but underpinned by this dark, haunting inky smell that I absolutely love - which I assume is the green orris root and leather combination. I actually get a lot of leather which is great. For reference I have the reformulated version, and I'm aware it's more chemical, but i still really love it.

culinista
culinista

My most favorite perfume of all time. I miss it dearly.

ranchorita
ranchorita

A floral green fragrance is not normally my style, so I was amazed by how well Murasaki works for me. A lovely Fragrantican bestowed me a sample of this fragrance(thank you scorpiosheep!), and I'm so pleased to wear this. The scent began very vividly, but burnished down into a beautifully clean floral scent. From its initial burst from the atomizer, this seemed a classic fragrance to me with its elegant balance and harmony of a great many disparate accords. Very lovely and very ladylike.

[Update] Well into the latter stage of drydown, I can smell a faint, very refined amber. Beautiful!

cloyd42
cloyd42

Okay, I'm a wonk and had to look up the word "murasaki" since perfume has both a deep, almost primitive, sensual appeal and enough chemistry and history to be intellectually interesting. "Murasaki" translates literally as "purple" but also refers to the 11th century royal court figure who wrote "Tale of Ghenj" a complicated love story. Okay, got that out of my system.

This perfume is green, green, green in its opening; razor sharp and cold for a few minutes. After this clears the orris and amber come up, enriching it but still cold. After about half an hour the other flowers, vetiver and musk came in, making this rich, complex and challenging. After two three hours it's settled into a close powdery floral with some skin warmth. What's only notionally here is the oakmoss. This is probably what the vintage lovers are mourning. Since I haven't smelled a good version of the vintage I'll say my experience with this is: I like it a lot and I generally don't take to green scents. I'd recommend it to anyone experienced with perfumes. If you're new to green scents I'd suggest a sample since the ingredients are good and it's somewhat expensive. (I'm wearing non-vintage EDP after a disappointing go-round with a spoiled vintage bottle.) I now need to go add the lovely watercolors and block prints of the Lady Murasaki I found while looking it up to my Facebook page.

Sillage: initially big, pulls back to skin after an hour
Duration: mediocre, 2-4 hours
Fabulosity: the Northern Lights
Value to price ratio: reasonable

Eurochic
Eurochic

I had the original version 20 years ago and always got compliments on it. When people asked me what I was wearing I wouldn't tell. Even though I spritzed the last out of it many years ago, I never parted with the bottle.
I remember the original EDP as a soft, comfortable scent, with not so much sillage, but incredible presence.
The new reformulated scent is weak, watered down, and smelled chemical to me, like all those mass market fragrances. I had lost my signature scent.
Two days ago I ordered a bottle of the vintage on eBay, and I am hoping to fall in love all over again. I wish I could buy the whole stock, but those vintages carry a hefty price tag.
"The colour purple is a harmonious blend of the emotional red (passion) and the intellectual blue (wisdom). This fragrance is mysterious and attractive. The flowers used are some of the most popular Japanese flowers: lily, chrysanthemum and rose, combined with a woody, mossy base. " (from the Japanese shiseido website).

EDIT. I compared the vintage with the new. The top notes are basically the same floral loveliness, it's in the heart and the drydown that lies the difference. The vintage warms and blends, becomes a skin scent, very soft and comfortable with a faint hint of oakmoss. The new one is a very clean scent, more soapy than warm, where the clean, ethereal note lingers. In the drydown it becomes powdery soapy. It's not bad, but too clean for me.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

i just got the vintage version..heaven in a bottle and i say this as a straight guy

miss mills
miss mills

Beautifully warm and subtle floral oriental perfume - first had this in the late 80s, then briefly again last year. The formula seems a little different to me now, weaker, perhaps or more powdery? Still the same gorgeous essence though. I love Zen edp now as it has a similar heart but still with some strength to it. mmm, Shiseido knows how to turn out a great perfume, that is for sure - not your run of the mill smells...

correbob
correbob

Where can I buy the 'old' bottle from 1980? I had a smal purse spray in violet. A very oriëntal fragrance!

Shiseido MURASAKI is a classic floral chypre perfume with a fairly big dose of oakmoss and galbanum. There is a greenish cast to the whole composition, but it's dark green, and ultimately the chypre character dominates to my nose.

There are many other perfumes of this type, and I do not think that this one is unique, although it's good for what it is. If you like Chanel no 19, then you'll surely like MURASAKI. If, on the other hand, you find dark floral chypres old fashioned (or old ladyish!), then this is not for you.

This is a classically composed perfume with a ton of notes and a fairly imposing presence. No surprise, really, since it was launched in 1980.

For serious perfumistas only!

olga1780
olga1780

Got this one blindly on a whim...the price was too good to pass it by.
The bottle looks so cute and innocent....but what's inside the bottle is some serious stuff! Wow, this fragrance had quite an impact on me.
There is something slightly reminiscent of Zen, that mossy note, but to me Murasaki is very along the lines of Niki Saint Phalle, but with it's own unique personality.
This is a very intriguing and mysterious fragrance, complex and rich. I would say it can be easily worn by men.
Imagine standing in the middle of an Amazonian rainforest early in the morning when everything is enveloped in mysterious mist. You hear the spound of water, some exotic birds and animals in the distance, but you can't see far through the mist. You feel transfixed,mesmerized and disoriented. You take a deep breath and you get light-headed from the freshness and pureness of the air. That's how Murasaki smells like to me.
Excellent sillage and longevity!

madhatter1
madhatter1

Liked it from the 80's unique smell, it used to be in a purpleish bottle.

sofiii
sofiii

Murasaki intriguered me for a while, for wanting to get my hand on it, as I find older Sheseido perfumes carry a certain type of Asian charm. Thanks scorpiosheep for a lovely sample of it!

Murasaki opens in a really nostalgically light scent, actually I couldn’t smell much except for something slightly dry-aldehyde and like a piece of white soap which has been dried up and has cracks in it. It does not smell anything like the conventional Floral Green to me, but the dryness and quasi-nature quietness in it somehow infers to the Green aspect of this Floral Green. Then the scent comes to life after about 5 seconds, it is more a aldehyde for a while, which really reminds me a lot of aldehyde-soapy perfumes like White Diamond, but much quiter, as if mixed with something powdery, cold, slightly incense-y, like the feel you get from Prada Infusion D’Iris, but in much discreet way. At these stage, a flashing back of Shiseido Zen Original, comes to my mind, both of them has the certain type of calming, centring, meditating feel there, as if it was a type of incense, but not that much a smokey, thick incense; also, Mitsuko comes to my mind too, I guess it’s the peach here, so dry and lovely in a charmingly knowing manner, instead of those sweet peaches high in sugar which I’m so tired of from smelling floral fruity pink perfumes these days.

Similar to Zen Original, Murasaki hits the base notes rather fast, and stays like it, from normally what should be the middle phase of a perfume these days.
It smells of the middle phase plus a swirl of leather, powdery, sweet, and leathery. Somehow it strikes a balance in between a Chanel.19 fermenting to a even more business-like leather version; and Zen original been leatherified.

Murasaki does not have a big sillage, somehow I find it a good thing, as you cannot smell too much of the leather, it wouldn’t bother people that much, and you might be relaxed from a mist of it around, just, you. However, not been a fan of leather, Murasaki is slightly more animalist than my usual taste, I guess I’ll be happily stick to my Zen Original; nevertheless, a beautiful, really Shiseido/Asian scent from Shiseido.

ShannyO
ShannyO

Murasaki was introduced to me as a seven year old in 1982, Christmas to be exact. My grand"mother" discovered it on a shopping trip to Dallas and absolutely loved it. The purple connection was especially pleasing (she was a big fan of purple). However, the scent was the dominating factor.... the bottle, as I remember it, was originally prettier than later versions. It is an unusual Oriental Floral..... very distinct. I got the second edition bottle for my grand"mother for Christmas a year ago and she was pleasantly surprised. It's kind of hard to find these days, though, I think it might be discontinued. One caveat, the bottles that are still floating around may have been sitting somewhere for quite a while, so the fragrance is not as fresh as it once was. Still, this is a great addition to any perfume fan's collection, something that everybody and their sister won't have.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

This is one of the most beautiful bottles I've ever seen. I am not normally a fan of floral greens, and in fact do not own any, but I have bid on this one on ebay as I like the reviews and the description, and heck, if I don't like the perfume I'll keep it for the bottle alone. Will be back with a review when I smell it.

Edit: Well the bottle cap is purple not blue. Never mind. What's inside is what matters, and it is fantastic! I was VERY wary of floral green, but really the green is nowhere to be smelled, it is a very lovely blend of the florals, and the base notes work themselves up to the top very quickly (say 10 minutes). The peach and galbanum stay just a little more prominently throughout the process than the other notes, but this is a soft and subtle mix, and very feminine. I really, really love this and will have to get a back-up bottle as it's hard to find. Another successful blind buy (it doesn't always work out like this!) Happy, happy, happy.

BTW it is screw-top splash cologne, not a spray.

Further edit: I found out that this perfume was designed to be an essay on the colour purple. Murasaki is a purple dye used in printing, particularly in Japan, so I guess that accounts for the purple top. (I've ordered my back-up bottle!)

Marilia
Marilia

Murasaki is my favorite perfume ever.
Subtle, gentle yet warm, because in the
heart notes orris root is very felt.
Really beautiful, almost unique scent.
Unfortunately disapperead from the market in Europe.

guest_Zinderella
guest_Zinderella

I also bought a bottle of this in the 80's and havent seen it available since. I remember whenever I wore it to work one woman would constantly ask me what perfume I was wearing. It was very unusual smelling but very nice. The bottle was tall and dark purple in colour, so maybe it has been re-introduced differently.

guest_sophia m
guest_sophia m

So surprised to find out this wonderful perfume still exists (?) but haven't seen it in my country or anywhere else since I first used it in the early 80s. Then it looked entiry different, both bottle and box and therefore I suspect they may have changed the formula.... However, in my opinion the best EVER Shiseido frangrance is/was Nishiki (or Nishiku) which I purchased in Japan in the mid 70s, but have never found it anywhere else.

Murasaki by Shiseido 4.32 out of 5 based on 62 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Shiseido Murasaki fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Shiseido Murasaki, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Murasaki by Shiseido. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Murasaki by Shiseido represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.