Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men

Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men
dislike

cinnamon
Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Videos
Old Spice Original Shulton Company for men Pictures

Old Spice Original by Shulton Company is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for men. Old Spice Original was launched in 1938. The nose behind this fragrance is Albert Hauck. Top notes are nutmeg, lemon, orange, star anise and aldehydes; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, geranium, cinnamon, heliotrope and pimento; base notes are ambergris, benzoin, cedar, vanilla, tonka bean and musk.

Nutmeg Lemon Orange Star Anise Aldehydes

Feuilles de Tabac

Old Spice Original Fragrance Reviews

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Daddy in a bottle. I found his old, old ceramic bottle in the bathroom cupboard after he died and it's one of my most cherished mementos from his house.

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

My masculine boyfriend is loathe to use fancy cosmetics for men, despite my best efforts. The one exception is Old Spice. I buy him the body wash, deoderant, and the cologne. To my surprise he got in the habit of wearing the cologne, every day after his morning shower! Much to my further surprise, at the end of the day when I nuzzle into his neck, I can still smell it! With his body chemistry it turns into the most delicious, delectably sweet yet spicy, and masculine smell. Almost like a vanilla rootbeer float in the form of a warm sexy man. What could possibly be better? I'm starting to believe only cheap drugstore classics are worth a damn. "The original. If your grandfather hadn't worn it, you wouldn't exist." Has to be the truest advertising slogan.

Housebliss
Housebliss

"Men men men men, manly men men men!"
"Men men men men, manly men, oo hoo hoo, hoo hoo, oo."
"Men ..."

nonsisa
nonsisa

An oldie but a goldie.

If you want to know what carnation smells like, this is definitely gonna give you an idea.

Apart from that it is also very rich in cinnamon, nutmeg and adds sweetness through the vanilla benzoin combination.

One thing that I do not like about this, is the fact that it is a splash bottle. I'm not a fan of these as I once had one that started to mushroom.

Nonetheless a classic for sure.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Thank you Fragrantica! After reading all the wonderful reviews about the original Schulton Old Spice, I bought an old ceramic bottle of it on Ebay. Somehow I missed smelling this in my early years. It is the most lovely spicy fragrance! I can't get enough of it! I went to the post office today wearing it and every single person there came over to check it out after the person next to me waxed poetic about how they loved the way I smelled. All quizzed me about where to get it. I explained that it was the old version - they were amazed that it was such an old bottle and didn't realize the companies and formulas changed. It is truly a classic all time great fragrance for anyone. Spicy, clean, and warm!

maani
maani

WOW! very NICE ,my favourite ,but i agree classic Old Spice is much better than new .even i love the new Old Spice,its so manly

headofstate
headofstate

As vintage World War II American as Coca-Cola, Lucky Stripe Cigarettes and hamburgers (wait a minute, those are German!). Old Spice is one of the truly legendary creations that transcends even its own ubiquity in every conceivable type of retailer/store possible. This is a very diversified range of spicy, this is somewhat feminine in its floral flightiness, but this also has a layer of sweetness that makes Old Spice simple but complicated, old-fashioned but rather timeless. It's an interesting combination of classic rum & citrus splash-ons from the early era of men's fragrances with a more sophisticated blending of both warm and fresh spicy elements that gives Old Spice its original bite.
Yes, it has been reformulated. That can easily be rectified by a local trip to your Family Dollar in the USA to pick up their generic interpretation which is much closer to the creamy original. It will say made in North Carolina somewhere on the label.
If you love this scent, it's worth going out and picking up the original body wash in the red plastic; it will make the scent last much longer on the skin.
I get around 4-5 hours with the reformulated version and projection is moderate most of the way through.
A classic, a truly great American masterpiece and even today still has great novelty value in places like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France because of its association with American GI's who brought it over to Europe with Lucky Stripes and Coca-Cola. Can be found the day after Christmas at Walmart with deodorant stick for around $3 every year.

hakan.ates.33633
hakan.ates.33633

ı thınk, old spice is very similar to guarlian habit rouge.
what do you abaout?

fresh_scents
fresh_scents

It's not a fragrance of my generation but I do enjoy it. OS is a nice sit at home and relax scent. It is also appropriate for those casual day feelings when you know the shit that you're wearing is cheap and full of holes, like ripped and paint splattered pants and a well worn shirt with holes in the elbows, but you are clean.

zenbabylove
zenbabylove

My dad wore this all my life! It is him to me...

It's funny but I find that some of the same notes in this are present in a lot of the fragrances I love and wear.

I prefer scent this on men to the aquatic,overpowering ones.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

Ok so we all like the newer aquatic fragrances. But I still long for a man to wear this from time to time. I used to run to the elevator to ride with the one man that wore this as a staple. He was no show-off, no metro-sexual, no trend-setter. He was just a manly man. And all the manly-men wore this when I was growing up. It has a fresh, welcoming smell. Hope this one is always available!

Clutch
Clutch

Classic,timeless scent that still has the appeal of "manliness" to this day. I use this in rotation with my other scents, Brut included to not oly keep it fresh and inviting but to enjoy the memories this conjures up.

GlobalGirlyGirl
GlobalGirlyGirl

"A Babe in Every Port" This was my grandfather's aftershave. RIP. With three wives and a mistress, he was quite the ladies' man.

Old Spice is instantly recognizable to many, including myself. It's absolutely masculine and very warm. It would be great for everyday. It transcends socioeconomic class. Blue collar guys to Wall Street bankers...doesn't matter. If it suits your chemistry, you'll smell amazing.

It may be inexpensive, but it's definitely not "cheap" smelling because of its complexity. Very classy.

There's a reason why it's still popular after 76 years.

bobbydrugan
bobbydrugan

I am sporting this fragrance today,its my husbands go to day scent.I quite like it on myself not to heavy and warm,comforting smell.Only ended up wearing it as I was to lazy to run back upstairs for something of my own.I seem to be favouring mens scents this winter,warms the soul

Elviel

Happy to say that the current Old Spice does still come in a glass bottle so dad got his Christmas top-up.

This new bottle has a more pronounced clove/carnation opening compared to the previous bottle which was more rosey. Reformulation or just what happens when it has been open a while? I could not say.

Not too much cedar and a nice soft sweet dry down.

So we missed the plastic packed version and that is a good thing.

This one is still a very good aftershave and if it works for you it is quite simply splendid.

Bottle purchased December 2013

BobbyJoeJack
BobbyJoeJack

An alright cologne with lots of spices (duh) but I really just like it for it's commercials... :)

fungest
fungest

:))))
just remember my childhood
the meaning of old school very old:))

MrStinky
MrStinky

Just a genuine American classic. Its a well groomed kind of scent. Not at all offensive. Good for everyday wear.

I confess, I haven't bought a bottle in maybe 10-15 years but I'll be buying one tomorrow now that I've been thinking about it. It's one of those things you find yourself going back to.

My Grandfather wore it every day but I don't think its ever really out of style, unless you're at a Justin Bieber or One Direction concert. Even then you might be a refreshing change.

An Update: All my experiences with Old Spice in the past were with the aftershave. I have picked up a bottle of the cologne yesterday. First impression is a more floral note than I recall, however after about 10 or 15 minutes it settles into pretty much the same great Old Spice scent I recall.

shreif
shreif

I have the new production and i love it although I never try the old version from Shulton before .
My wife and freinds also compliment it .
The sillage and longevity are very good .

8 / 10 for the new production .

godisnowhere
godisnowhere

old spice original from shulton-
longevity: 3-4 hrs
sillage- moderate throughout and fades out towards the end
notes: cinnamon, nutmeg, anise in the opening. cinnamon continues on with the musk and vanilla
design- decent classic
price- best cologne you can get at the price.
discontinued i guess

old spice original from procter and gamble-
longevity- 2-3hrs
sillage- moderate for the first 1-2 hr and then fades off
rest similar as shulton one.
the stinginess is more in the procter and gamble one.
still the best cologne at the price.

WolfHaleigh
WolfHaleigh

My dad wore it for since most of his life, I'm sure, and he did smell good with it. You always knew he was going to town when he put that aftershave on. Subtle, clean spice. If it isn't broke, no need to fix it.

williamvargas

as an after shave hard to beat, if I could mention one that I don't see it on the the data base here yet, but if anyone is looking for a classic after shave that soothes and cools the face after shave, gives you that nice burn.. there is an aftershave tonic made by CROWN SHAVING CO. It is made in Canada. I bought it from LUCKY SCENT. I think they have their own web page, but this stuff is fantastic..
it smells heavenly, combination of bay rum , tobacco, leather, bergamot, anise seed and some other goodies. if you are looking for something new. just incredible, lasting power is not the greatest but this product smells great to me. to me the fragrance is better than any other after shaves that come to mind. just classic. wore some today and got compliments right away, a lot from the dudes I work with, can't say enough about it. paid 30.00 for 120 mil..it is in a brown splash bottle. really awesome smell.. on the bottle it says for vagabonds, gentlemen and ruffians. perfect Christmas scent. recommended to try. just wanted to share. I wish they made a parfum version or e.d.t as I would gladly buy it. truly for gentlemen.

Elviel

This smells very classy. Nothing strident. Nothing harsh. To me there is a soft powdery rose hovering in the background.

I want to buy online for my dad. He has worn it all his life as did his father before. Please tell me it is not in plastic; I simply dare not buy anything in plastic for my dad. Plaaastiiiicc!!!!.

Glass bottle. Old Spirce Original Aftershave. Approximately 5 years old.

daviduccio79
daviduccio79

Evergreen like the old "Trussardi Uomo" and "Declaration" by Cartier.

deppard
deppard

This is an all time classic. Will Gregory Peck be ever with a lesser aura? Will Ingrid Bergman fade into the shadows? They will live on with the grandeour they epitomise.

That is how I prefer to describe the house of old spice.
My dad, uncles had it. I had it as a youngster & still have it as a gentleman. Its always among my Hermes Bel ami, Boss Spirits & chanels. My daily indulgence.

The Original is an amazingly subtle yet complicated blend of herbs and spices. So pleasant and classy. It has a mutli pronged aroma. Cirtus, herbs, tobbaco, tea, leather, anise, nutmeg- Man so many things together. It also smell of the sea sometimes. Musty, salty, fresh... Sometimes like a gust of wind from the forest hills.. Sillage is close to the skin and warm. Anyone standing within an arms length will experience it. 4-6 hrs of life. What more? You can keep on splashing it and never tire. I love the original and musk versions. Not a fan of the new sports issue etc.
The musk version is sort of same but more musky. I use both. Can't say which is better.

Honestly its not expensive. But the fragrance is classy. I can't help it if every John Doe buys it. I won't be a snob when it comes to Old Spice! I smell it to just enhance my mood. It does have that very pleasant 'feel good' effect. Always works :). A very good stress buster - belive me :)

And yes, the ladies still love it. It is my standard issue deo & aftershave/cologne ( Fabarge Brut line being the other one that stands shoulder to shoulder with this). A must in every man's toiletries.

jht4060
jht4060

I hadn't worn Old Spice since I was a teenager, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I have since gotten pickier and ahem perhaps a touch snobby about my scents. For no particular reason I got a bottle a few days ago, and what a pleasure... despite my expecting something cheaply synthetic smelling and the fact that it comes in a horrid plastic bottle (when did they do that!?), it is excellent. Rich, spicy, lightly musky and woody, and above all it just plain smells great. And complex - the notes listed by Fragrantica are just about right... not just cinnamon and nutmeg as I vaguely recalled, but a whole slew of things, definitely including star anise and carnation (which is a distinctive spicy scent with only a touch of floral, in case you don't know), and a very nice musky-woody-balsamy base with lingering spice. If I were stranded for good on a desert island I would rather have a gallon of this than a teaspoon of [fill in your favorite exclusive line fragrance], and the gallon would cost less than the teaspoon.

Contrary to the complaints of some, I can state with some authority that any P&G reformulations of Old Spice are minor or non-existent. I got curious, so I purchased two vintage Shulton bottles on Ebay (from two different sellers to be sure they weren't adulterated), plus two older P&G glass bottles, and I also have the current P&G plastic bottle. Yes I might have gone a little overboard, but I am a scientist and none of them are expensive. I have worn them in parallel on my left and right hand in many combinations several times. I can't tell them apart. Not in the top, not in the middle, not in the base. I have a lot of different perfumes and no two smell the same to my nose (the point being that I have a reasonable capacity to distinguish differences). I hate the plastic bottle because it feels cheap but other than that there is no difference. Somewhere I read that P&G was forced to reformulate to make Old Spice compatible with a plastic bottle - much as I dislike the cheap-feeling plastic bottle, this idea is complete codswallop (ethanol and oils are perfectly compatible with many standard bottle plastics). True, I can't compare the current scent with the original 1938 release, but neither can anyone else unless they claim to find a sample stored vacuum-packed in liquid nitrogen for lo these many years. Instead they depend on our notoriously unreliable long-term scent memory.

Perfect for daily use - and hey now it probably isn't worn by every other guy too.

8/10 (9/10 if they changed the bottle back to glass)

velvetpeony
velvetpeony

This is really a favorite in our house.
It is my husband's signature and I regularly swipe it from him.

On my husband, Old Spice is quite woody with a bit of spicy carnation. On myself, cinnamon is the starring note. It never ceases to elicit compliments when either of us wears it.

I have heard it was originally designed for women, while I don't know if this is true, it is very wearable for women (as I often receive positive feedback from strangers while wearing it).

Redbeard
Redbeard

In principle, The Spice is nice, and only slightly too sweet, but it's not right for me personally for a few reasons. I tend to spray or even splash on clothing, and this is the only cologne that I've ever had permanently stain something. I know, silly me for doing that, but seriously...only one out of dozens upon dozens. That distinction merits it a thumbs down from me instead of a neutral. But also I find either anise or fennel or licorice in it...I can never tell those apart but I hate them all in food. So when I put it on, I always thought, "yeah this smells OK, but it would suck if I had to eat it." I finally realized that if that's going to be the first thought it brings to my mind, then I shouldn't be using it. So it's just not worth my while to own.

ohyousooners
ohyousooners

Bring back the REAL Old Spice!!!

Procter and Gamble has destroyed this most glorious fragrance.

Even without our heartfelt Dad/Granddad associations, the original Shulton formula was just beautiful.

In fact, I wonder what would happen if the Shulton Old Spice was marketed and released today, instead of in 1938?

You know, jazz it up with better longevity, a beautiful new bottle, a slick ad campaign, and a $50 price tag. No doubt it would be a smash hit!

My review of current production Procter & Gamble Old Spice Classic Cologne...

The top notes are intense, powdery, and synthetic. It feels like I'm choking on a can of talcum powder for about an hour. Unfortunately, you never really get into the beautiful warm heart before it fades away.

If I want to smell like granddad, I reach for my Family Dollar Spice Aftershave. It's only $2, and puts Procter and Gamble to BIG FAT SHAME!

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

An American classic. Warm, spicy, and comforting. It's cheap and has a barbershop quality to it, but it's good for almost any occasion. Apply conservatively, depending on your skin and how much you sweat it can have some pretty heavy silage.

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

"Hey shut your trap or I'll shut it for yah!"

Those are the first words i remember hearing from 'Wild Bill' a guy who become one of my best compadres in the 1970's. He was a cool cat and dirty biker. Not a Motorcycle Club biker but one of those guys who just liked to fix bikes and ride them - allot.

Lot's of you might be thinking what the heck is the link between cologne and guys who enjoy spending their free time working on stuff like correcting the ignition timing on a Royal Enfield Bullet.

Well, that's a legitimate question because there is not much in common with the two aforementioned subjects. UNLESS, you are talking about vintage bikes and Old Spice in particular! The perfect compliment to any bikie attempting to socialize with the bourgeois types is a couple dabs of the Old Spice behind the beard! Ah what the heck a good unapologetic splash on the beard doesn't hurt a mans chances when he's scopin the fancy ladies.

Old Spice is one of the last of the resisters, one of those colognes that missed out on the whole sprayer craze and never cared for it anyway. It's a splashing cologne an it will always be a splashing cologne. The bottle is designed for splashing! You don't even need to pour it into your hand!

It is unapologetic - like Wild Bill - because it worked 75 years ago and it still works now. The bottle won't give you some kind of skin deep flash and flare because this stuff ain't about the bottle and the pathetic little blotter cap is just that - pathetic - but it's proud of being pathetic because it's about the smell not the presentation. This is one hundred percent pure functionality. No playing and no handkerchief waving!

Old Spice is the 1%'er of men's colognes. When you put a bottle on the shelf the other bottles move, out of respect!
I've read that it's mandatory issue for an unspecified outlaw bike club. They have a special pocket for it next to their mag light holster. Because everyone knows it's 'nice' to smell like a man before you put a whoopin on a punk!

Old Spice is unapologetically manly. It's spicy and warm but has an unmistakable edge. It's not contemporary or 'fancie pantsie'. It's a cologne for a man who wants to smell like a man or for a man who hasn't taken a shower in a few days and wants to hide the sweat and grease smell just a little bit.

In the dictionary of man's man colognes Old Spice will always have a little blurb along with it's rarely changing etching, just out of respect!

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

I wear the Old Spice Classic deodorant, and I was thinking just the other day that I definitely need to add the cologne to my collection. My mother surprised me today with it, and I was SO excited! She gets annoyed that I wear so many feminine fragrances, so it's a no brainer that she'd spend a few dollars on this.

It's so gorgeous....fresh, spicy, deep, aldehydic, and powdery. On my skin, it's essentially White Diamonds' male counterpart.

I'm not quite picking up on the Father homages, seeing as how my dad is a Coty Aspen man.

An excellent mix of powdery florals, mixed with heavy doses of oriental spices.

It's very strong, long-lasting, deep, and high quality...for the price, you simply cannot beat it. This is THE quintessential eau de MEN.

Art2112
Art2112

This is a classic fresh out of the shower and barbershop type of aroma! One of my all-time favorites!

tolgacavdar
tolgacavdar

When you read the user comments about Old Spice, you often come across the word "dad". Yeah... They're right. Just replace the word "dad" with "man"...

xpetra82
xpetra82

it smells dad...
Oh dad... i miss you so much... :(

Nickolas
Nickolas

Regardless to what this perfume represents or reminds to everyone (which are real and important) I would like to judge old spice as if it were a new designer perfume. Would I like it or not? My answer to this would be that it's a very nice oriental scent, deep and not synthetic at all. It makes you feel comfortable and confident. In my opinion it can be worn any time of year. It's long lasting with good sillage. So, in conclusion, I'd say for its price it's an excellent choice.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Evokes especially fond memories of my Dad: freshly shaved getting ready, for church, a night out with my mother or just returning home from weekend drill when he was in the military. An unforgettable scent which seems it could be compatible with the majority of men. Even to this day it still stands out as a timeless classic. Warm, soapy spice that lasts throughout the day.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I'm female, and I am wearing Old Spice today and it's really good. It's a fresh spicy aldehyde with a hint of powder. Smells a little like Dana Tabu but the spice is more complex and powdery. It's so interesting to see how many notes are listed in this ageless classic.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

Like many reviewers here ,it was my father's favourite ..but let me tell you I didn't have a good relationship with my Dad & I didn't see much of him actually ..but , I LOVE this scent ..I love it for what it is : " A Timless MANLY classic " ..I stress the MAN point ..It's suitable for any age , so stop please this " Old Man " 's smell clichè..Not for wimpies ...

pronose
pronose

a timeless and lasting classic scent! old spice is simply unique!

thesnowleopard
thesnowleopard

Wearing this is like going home for the Holidays: warm, comforting and timeless. Real men love their wife, take care of their family and wear Old Spice.

terreri
terreri

The grandfather (quite literaly) of aftershaves!! When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, Old Spice was THE fragrance for any working class household. The smell is deep seeded in me. Everytime I splash it on it gives me nostalgic flashbacks to my old man getting ready for a night out. I love how the scent is getting re-discovered by today's youth and they wear it with pride. For me it's the rich cinnamon, nutmeg and fresh citrus that bursts out the bottle and makes you feel alive when soaked into the pours of the skin. A class act and genuine legend amongst fragrances today and yester-year...get out there and add this to your collection!!!!

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

My father wore this. It's all he ever wore. Clean, fresh, spicy! Always remember kissing my father's cheek and smelling this. It was always a comforting smell for me. After my father died, I never smelled this scent again on anyone until today, when my son wore it. I understand the bottle is no longer ceramic, and it's been reformulated. On my son though, it smells the same way it did on my father. My father would have been so proud of him. My father was U.S. Navy, my son U.S. Marines. My son has grown up to be just like my Daddy! God, how I miss him!

noninoni
noninoni

My physics teacher used to wear this. He would then "threaten" those who didn't participate in class that he would kiss them. Let me just say I made sure I participated. I've never smelled a more offensive or vile odor. Enough said gents. Sorry, but this is the worst male frag I've ever smelled

JohnMc
JohnMc

A true classic, inexpensive, cozy, reassuring and flexible. From the ardent fragrance lover to the occasional user of scents, this fellow is part of a pantheon of drugstore gems such as Brut, Drakkar Noir and Tabac. It's funny, once you strip away the connotations with everyone's Father's using this stuff, you start to realize that its inter-generational appeal is really quite profound - so many of today's fragrances won't enjoy anywhere near this longevity in decades to come. Even better in these times of austerity...

rootbeerlord
rootbeerlord

Great scent! Especially for the price

tigsi
tigsi

Old Spice is a classic for a good reason. It's lovely, spicy, aromatic, but kind of sweet at the same time. This is my dad's favorite and I love smelling it on him. It suits his personality perfectly. He travels a lot for living and the bottle with the ship compliments his lifestyle pretty well. I have used his body-wash once just for the heck of it,to see how it would smell on a girl and I would say it was strangely good lol, it smelled exactly what I would imagine it would, warm, cozy, little bit of masculine on me, but not in a way I would be bothered by it. I got a lot of compliments on how lovely I smelled that day, I was quite shocked lol. I would always think of this scent as "dad's scent", something that brings me comfort and makes me feel like a little girl again, reaching up to kiss my father's cheek and smelling his cologne.
The best way I would describe the smell is like what I would imagine stepping into an Indian shrine would feel like, and smelling all the flowers and hint of old wood and smokey spices, this is what my father described it as, and it totally makes sense.

distortech
distortech

This one is right up there as one of the best fragrances EVER. Absolutely brilliant.

evesoho
evesoho

Duende, yes, that is Shulton Old Spice, and it was originally marketed to women. (No, I don't really recommend that women wear the current reformulation of Old Spice). I have a tarnished vintage bottle of Old Spice that still smells lovely, and it's in a ribbed bottle. It also has a silky string tied around the neck, like one would use to bundle cinnamon sticks in the olden days. ;) It is more feminine than the current male-oriented scent. It's a heavily aldehydic, heavily spicy, vanillic musk. The carnation is highly pronounced, but there is considerably less citrus and cedar, and I'm almost certain there is no ambergris (salty whale sperm, used for an *at sea* note) at all, so I don't think it's as fresh as the current formulation, which makes sense, I think. Or, maybe it is the *exact* same formulation, and the juice in my bottle is just so old that the top notes faded. Either way, the ribbed bottle of clear glass is pretty and meant for women. :)

(Full disclosure, I voted for this scent, including voting for the notes, based on this vintage bottle.)

I hope that helps. :)

Update: I just noticed that the picture of the woman painted on the bottle is wearing a long, wide skirt that is ribbed, like the glass.

Duende
Duende

I remember getting a bottle of "toilet water" when I was about 12, in 1968, and I think it was Old Spice. Could that be? This was definitely a feminine fragrance, and it came in a pretty ribbed glass bottle. It was warm and spicy and lovely.

SarahNichole
SarahNichole

I'm so glad they finally added this to the database! I love this stuff. Like so many others here, while growing up I always thought this was how a man was supposed to smell. My dad wore the aftershave, and I used to sneak into my parents' room and pull out the bottle just to smell it. It's fantastic, warm and comforting and masculine. I know it tends to get a bad rap on perfume forums, but I've never understood the hate for it. It's a universally beautiful, wearable, sexy smell.

Ihab
Ihab

Like said before {timeliness}

Murk123
Murk123

I bought this after seeing the Old Spice commercials, and its not really bad it has a strong cinnamon smell which u notice right away, you can use this before going out in the day or night its acceptable to use. But some noses might not like this because of the cinnamon.

rudwat
rudwat

Spot on in terms of the scents listed.

A gentle citrus with a warm but not overpowering spice in the middle, almost feminine. Perfect for every day use... the grandfather of modern citrus scents, one must assume.

Very old school and reliable. Blue collar, white collar- every man should own it as a point of reference.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I'm a lady in my mid-20's and I honestly want to wear Old Spice. My late grandpa wore tons of this stuff and for some reasons I find it comforting and reassuring---a break from all my complicated fragrances and a return to my carefree days in the province. It is warm, timeless, and definitely makes me feel good and snugly.

One of the best fragrances ever created. I hope they never stop making this.

sscnapolifan
sscnapolifan

I have used the aftershave ever since I started shaving. This is a man's scent that is immediately recognizeable. I have never heard a negative thing about this stuff outside of a prefume forum! That's because everyone simply loves the way it smells. Yes, it reminds you of your grandfather, and father, and uncle Joe, and every barbershop in the world, but it smells GOOD, and that is what's important in a fragrance, in my opinion. I use a few others to add individuality (I'm not really a big cologne wearer) but this bottle (alas now the reformulated- it's still good but not the classic) will always be on my shelf.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

My father used to wear this - and, weirdly, cut out the image of the ship on the box and frame it on the living room wall! (I am serious.)

In the 80's I once read a book entitled "Dress for Success," and in the cologne/after shave section the writer was surprised to note that in his testing, this particular scent tested very high. Well, of course it did! It's a successful classic and has been since the 1930's. Smells great!

I'd like to test it on myself but I suspect I won't get past the first bottle. I tried it once and discovered to my dismay that it almost vanishes immediately on me. (Frowny face.)

Also - the stuff you can buy currently is in a plastic bottle rather than the old glass/ceramic one. Tactile turn off. And I like Luca Turin's "weird" little cap/plug.

On the box currently is this: "If your grandfather hadn't worn it you wouldn't exist." Hahaha!

smellhunt
smellhunt

My grandfather and his friends, my father, my father's friends and almost all of our male relatives, used and some of them still do, the Old Spice and especially the after save.
As a child I thought that this is how men supposed to smell like...
Clean, fresh, spicy, woody and dry this is clearly a masculine scent.
Timeless, without any age or season restrictions at all!!!

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I would rather loose my sence of smell than to ever purchase or wear old man spice. It would take Catherine Zeta Jones. To get me to ever wear it.

I used I laugh at someone's Negitive review. I would think it can't be that bad. Until now.

You who like this can wear it. I never will while I am breathing. I never want to remind a Beautiful woman of any one she ever knew that wore this. When she sniffs my neck.

Ok, you all can go back to your, blathering about how good this smells to you.

pfcs
pfcs

This wonderful old classic has outlasted so many fad scents. My husband's aunt gave him a HUGE gift set the year we were engaged. It had everything, including a shaving mug and brush. Over forty years later, he still uses the mug for his shaving soap. Everything was quality then, no plastic. Growing up, most of the men I knew had those fine old glass bottles of Old Spice products.

SteveSmellsGood
SteveSmellsGood

I'm 23 and love this cologne, smells amazing. Don't be afraid to wear this if you're a young bloke like me, its a real man's scent.

willbear
willbear

i'm 24 i wear old spice i love it spice, soft, strong

sally.west1
sally.west1

I think back in the 1950's and 60's in the UK there was only one aftershave you could buy and that was "Old Spice"! My dad wore it and so did all my uncles and all my friends' dads and uncles! So warm and comforting - not a young man's scent (although my dad was quite young when he wore this!) - it is evocative and masculine. I'm not surprised its still around as it's a classic, non-threatening, warm scent - lovely!

Fragaria
Fragaria

This is a product my father wore when our family had gatherings and sometimes to church. I've never liked this scent, from age 7 and up. Mom would sniff and make her eyes at dad because he was so handsome and smelled so good while I stood and watched, probably with a wrinkled up nose, wondering what the HECK she found so good about this "smell". I remember him wearing this over the years as I grew older also. He wouldn't change to anything new because, this is what mom loved. I have nothing but wonderful memories of my father. My father was a perfect man to me. He was hard working and honest, his personality was that of Michael Landon on the Little House series with the humor Mr.Edwards, and the men that respected him and were just like him, were his best friends all through life. I have nothing but respect and honor, for these gentle and giving family men...but oh how my father just plain stunk when he wore this cologne! To this day, I think it stinks just as bad...but what I wouldn't give to smell this on him...just one more time.

Little_L
Little_L

As most classic good scents, Old Spice has also been reformulated. The main reason for this has to be associated with expendature reductions and ingredient shipment.
Having said that, I still find Old Spice to be the grandfather of mens' fragrances. With it's classic consequtive and distinctive three course development it is one of my favourite scents when I just want to smell great and be confident.
The first whiff is extremely refreshing when applied to freshly shaved skin. A reference to a frost bite is in order here. The invigorating spice accord is an exciting whiff of old-school energy. After 30 minutes, the scent takes a turn towars the orient. The spicy rose, orange and cinnamon come to the forefront and are stationed there like soldiers, confidently attracting people's attention. Then, after all the edible aromas are shared with everyone, you are left with a slightly sweet amber, perfect for cuddling;).

I think of this as a respectful, well-groomed and down-to-earth version of 1 million.

This fragrance reminds me of: cleanliness, old films with happy endings, cuddling.

Although it has quite a few edible ingredients, it does not smell fruity, sweet or gourmand.

I think it is suitable for 20+year olds in all seasons.

9-na
9-na

Father's scent. Loved it in the bottle, on him, everywhere. I bought and used it as well. Cinnamon, anis, nutmeg and carnation... so nice.

Descartes
Descartes

The smells of seduction in a Barber’s shop.
The smell of grandpa seducing a young girl...

Jomoves
Jomoves

I'll always associate this with my Dad, fresh out of the shower, wet black hair curled on his forehead and wearing his favorite woolen dressing gown.

Still miss you buddy. You haven't been forgotten.

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

Such a classic scent I have the reformulation and it doesn't seem that much different than the older version. There is this initial blast of cleanliness like an old time barber shop shaving lotion, then resolved down to a very warm spicy little number. It lasts a long long time.

The picture it paints for me is this: Family, Fall, relaxation in front of a fireplace, warm sweaters and crisp air.

Every man should have this in the collection.

(Application - 5 medium sprays, neck, arms, chest) This may have been a touch too much, but not overwhelmingly so.

Mooncatt
Mooncatt

I loved classic Old Spice. My grandfather wore it. My mother-in-law kept a cologne decanter with her father's Old Spice in it and sniffed it once in a while, for the memories. I've read on other sites that Family Dollar Stores sell Ivy Club, that's said to be identical to classic Old Spice. Word to the wise.

mystica
mystica

I remember what Old Spice (Shulton's) once was, in late 1980s and early 90s. My father used to wear it. Indeed I'd associate this smell with him.
For long years Old Spice was disappeared from the shelves in my country. When I saw it in a local store 3 years ago I was pretty excited. I bought it without hesitation. What turned out to be however, was only resembling the old Old Spice. It was still pretty much comforting though. More musky, less masculine, almost unisex, soft, cuddly, herbal scent. It went awesome with my chemistry (despite I'm a female) and since then it's a part of my wardrobe. Indeed this simple and cheap scent could be the second to my most favorite men's perfume YSL's original M7. (I have to find a way to make a boyfriend wear these two.)

indosearch2011
indosearch2011

Old Spice is such a classic. Smells like heaven. It reminds me of my dad. I love you papi!!!

duncanchelseal
duncanchelseal

This is such a classic scent. I know this is going to sound creepy, but stay with me now. It is a scent that reminds me of my dad (he uses Old Spice deodorant and always has) but if I were to smell it on a guy I was dating, I'd probably jump him. I just love it. And no, I DO NOT want to jump my dad.

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

It reminds me of wondering around a park during the Spring season... the Spring wind breeze that carries the smell of flowers coupled with the beautiful and relaxing noon/afternoon sunshine. This is the effect of Old Spice on me.. Love it 10/10

James Lewis
James Lewis

Always reminds me of my father when I use this cologne.I dont wear it alot but I really do love it.I tend to put it on when Im alone at the house and I just need a pick me up.Makes me feel good to smell it.

Ichariot
Ichariot

Nostalgic scent for me, reminds me of my dad. It's hard to judge it subjectively since I've grown up having my father use it always.

It's a pleasant scent, smells oldschool. Certainly for mature men, not for young guns.

maiker
maiker

FINALLY ON FRAGANTICA THIS PIECE OF GEM

OLD SPICE how can i love you, i grow-up using you. in all momentos there was you by my side. you'r smell so nostalgic, make me remember all the good moment in live. i remember walk on the beach at night, the ocian air you and my loving one, your smell so perfect, so nice, so unforgettable,

JUST LOVE YOU MY DEAR OLD SPICE.

fragrancelover1
fragrancelover1

This was the only fragrance my father ever wore in his entire lifetime with me. He has been gone for 12 years and I miss him terribly. I look forward to someday buying a bottle of this and sniffing it just to see what happens. I have a feeling that it will be good and bad but absolutely shattering in impact. I better have some tissues handy but I think it will be soon. Wish me luck.

instantjim
instantjim

Yeah I have been waiting so long for this to make it into the database!!! It is interesting to see how many loves this has got. Not that it isn't a marvellous fragrance, because it is absolutely magnificent. It is, however, much maligned, probably because as the old adage goes "familiarity breeds contempt".

I remember an assistant cleaning out a cupboard and wanting to throw my bottle out. She gave me a bottle of some generic nothing fragrance at the end of the year to use instead of my Old Spice. I kept the Old Spice and I cannot remember what happened to the bottle she gave me. My wife's second favourite male fragrance is Old Spice and I have the aftershave, cologne and edt....nuff said.

I don't personally find it that strong, the spiciness I always took to be a subdued clovey sort of note, but I see that it is more likely a combination of star anise and cinnamon (the cinnamon in Witness by Jacques Bogart also smells like cloves, but MUCH stronger).

I love to put this on after my evening shower, just before I go to sleep. It is soothing and clean. An absolute masterpiece.

bcoops
bcoops

I have a guy at work wear this....one thing for sure this has great projection :)

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I can't believe I'd say that Old Spice holds surprises but it does. When I first put it on there is an enormous lemon scent that blocks out anything else. Seriously, it's like a flashbulb going off in your face.

At first I was really disappointed because I'd smell this grand lemon burst and it goes away really fast and then for a good 10 minutes at least you can't smell anything else - so you think "well, I guess that was that, and they really messed this one up." Later on - like within a half-hour the classic scent comes into focus. You have to wait for it, after that it gets better and better.

To me this frag is the epitome of a Dad (just my impression because I didn't have one): comforting, non-threatening, good-natured,no frills. That may sound a little boring but women for generations have been attracted to men wearing this, so I guess still-waters run deep.

It does smell terrific. There's a soapiness to it that I like and the spices are so pretty.

I noticed that many gentlemen here are disappointed in the plastic bottle. I can understand that (don't they trust consumers with glass bottles?). However, if a company wants to keep prices down, where do you want them to skimp - the product itself or the packaging? Plus the bottle is recyclable.

If you feel embarrassed to have someone see the tacky plastic bottle in your cabinet - just find a nicer bottle to put this in and toss the plastic.

varondandy
varondandy

i think this is a great scent,fresh longlasting,as long as its in the original white glass bottle,not the plastic bpa junk it is sold in now.

williamvargas

how could any man not love this one? such a classic , masculine smell for a man. a scent a lot of us grew up with. still enjoy this now and then.
just makes a great impression, and such a familar smell for most..
always remember pulling that little stopper out of the bottle ,splashing in your palms and slapping it on after shaving..that quick little sting.. and then that really nice crisp smell..so masculine , always a compliment.. I can still see people pulling this one off.. why not?

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

Mature is a good word for Old Spice. Not a scent for boys.

melbritt24
melbritt24

Very classic men's fragrance! Warm, inviting, masculine. My boyfriend wears the Old Spice "Whitewater" aftershave and it smells like an aquatic version of the classic, yet still warm and a bit of spice. Love it!

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I obtained a mysterious and very vintage tube of this in solid form, and it is stunning. This may be one of the strangest fragrances I've encountered. This smells strongly of benzoin and some kind of musk and what I suspect may be real ambergris. This is exceptional compared to the modern (obviously) and even when compared to the various vintage bottles I've smelled. It goes on very light, but after it sat on my skin for a few moments it has grown incredibly powerful. I may have applied too much!

awitherspoonii

you will def. smell like a dude if you wear this IMO its for older gentleman I like softer more fruity or ... softer smells this one is really peppery and pungent but I still wear it and enjoy it I don't like the initial smell as much as I like the drydown but yea old spice always does it right :)

awitherspoonii

It definately smells like old spice I like cooler softer smelling colognes but this one I really like I smell it over and over wondering what it is but Idk it hits hard but it Idk its like a bully that buys u a drink after punching you and taking your lunch money ... ha thats the only way I know how to explain it love it though :)

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

Good old, Old Spice! It's the only cologne my husband will wear! We would have a problem if he liked something else, but I can smell this every day and not get tired of it.

marioslg3
marioslg3

The classic male perfume, masculine, spice, soft, strong and nice.....What memories this perfume brings to mind? The name represents 100% the perfume, with all these spices, flowers and citrus....warm and pleasant although out of date but for the lovers of classic perfumes, this is a must!

jgirgar
jgirgar

Wow, I was a mere child when I had this, and that was in the 70s. The bottle I had was the white ceramic kind. I vaugely remember how it smelled which was fresh. It had this tiny stopper you would pull out and that was it. Too bad it's been made fun of over the years. It's in a plastic bottle now?? Well, it was a good starter cologne for an inexperienced young man or a little boy. JG 040812

Militza
Militza

Somehow, somewhere, all the way of going up in America, we fell for the "new and improved" way of marketing everything. I shuddered at all the bad colognes I saw today at a store. Every mediocre celebrity has a marshmallow fragrance out there. My dad wore just a dab of this when I grew up and it always smelled fresh, masculine and deeply spicy as if a mystery were wrapped inside somewhere. I left the store wanting the old fragrances again, which had substance, did not cost a ton, and lasted a long time on the skin. This one was a classic. I hope to see it rise up again.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

I purchased this last week "Old Spice Classique" after reading so many positive reviews about it.

It isn't a bad scent but there is nothing elegant or special about this latest version. When I first sprayed it on I right away smelled a "drugstore" quality to it. You aren't going to fool anybody at a party or the office with this one.

A drugstore "after splash" more or less that maybe smells a little better than the others on the market.

If I had been able to sample it prior to buying I wouldn't have bought it.

veritech
veritech

I really love this on my husband. I don't think many people realize how sexy a man smells wearing just Old Spice. My God my man smells so good! Thanks for still being here, love ya Old Spice!

ZELJO
ZELJO

classy in the best sense of the word, pure macho and soft enough not to disturb anybody

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Finally, Old Spice is on Fragrantica.

I had the Shulton original in the ceramic bottle, which was made with Egyptian white sand. It actually predated the version pictured above. The cologne was very sweet, loaded with orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, jasmine, anise, and all capped with a burst of sparkly aldehydes that were very short-lived, but also very memorable.

The new Proctor & Gamble version (in plastic) is actually quite good also. There is a slight difference - it's stronger, and has a bit more anise, which I believe was integrated to mask the smell of plastic. The aldehydes last longer in the new one, lending a potent dimensionality to the array of spices within this formidable scent. I feel the "new" Old Spice leans a bit more definitely toward being masculine, while the original was gender-neutral.

Classic stuff. If you're someone who isn't particularly into fragrance, but likes having a nice timeless smell that is fitting for all occasions, make it Old Spice. Summer, winter, spring, fall, it's perfect for every season. You really can't go wrong.

marielisagrant
marielisagrant

for those wondering what has changed, basically originally old spice was made in england and now its made in canada. the company says there is no change but if you ask any of the many men who knaw my ear off about it in my store youll find the change occurred when it started to be made in canada. to me it smells exactly the same, a musty old spice cupboard!

coffeebabe
coffeebabe

Old Spice, the wonderful, powerful fragrance of my Dad. Dad was my hero, my protector, and I loved to sniff his neck and cover his face with kisses. That is my memory of Old Spice from the time I was a little girl.
I am an adult, very middle-aged and whenever I get a faint whiff of it, the fragrance still conjures up the little girl in me.
It is not appropriate for my husband to wear it, because it was for Dad .... (good thing, he does NOT like the fragrance at all! To him, it is the smell of his old cranky uncles who never married)
Funny how one fragrance can have 2 opposite effects on people!
One thing for sure, a little goes a long way. If you dare to wear it, wear it with a light hand and with dignity.

Grottola
Grottola

About time this stuff made it on Fragrantica.

What can I say? No matter how cheap it is, Old Spice is one of the most reassuring, classy fragrances ever made. It still smells just as good as ever and lasts a while. It would work perfectly on either gender, and works in nearly any situation as long as you don't wear too much.

Now, if only they'd bring back Old Spice Lime, Whitewater, Ice Rock, and Pure Sport cologne!

milkyway
milkyway

'And now...I'm ON A HORSE ;)'- haha, epic!!i wish they made more ads like this now :)- wasn't this one of the most watched on youtube at one point?
the scent itself it quite nice, nothing too overpowering or crazy, perfect for everyday use :)
agree with krmarich though- the new stuff isn't nearly as good as it used to be...*sigh*..i wish they'd stop tempering with all the good fumes out there and leave them the way they are. there is a reason why they are called 'classic'.

krmarich
krmarich

This is as familiar as Chanel no 5 for men. Its great to see it here! I am sure every American man at one time or another has encountered it. It was probably been handed down by your father. Yeah, its that kind of standard. I remember playing with the ceramic bottle and thought it was all about growing up.

The notes that I never paid attention to were brilliant! The spicy character is all most remember. It was clean, rugged and always pleasant. It was one of those classics that we always take for granted and will be around forever.

Just for old time sake, I had to sample some at a local pharmacy. It has been changed! WHAT? Old Spice different? Proctor and Gamble must have decided it was too old fashioned and took the liberty to do so with no warning. The bottle is now plastic and the contents last about 15 minutes.

Old Spice Original by Shulton Company 4.21 out of 5 based on 472 ratings and 101 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Shulton Company Old Spice Original fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Shulton Company Old Spice Original, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Old Spice Original by Shulton Company. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Old Spice Original by Shulton Company represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.