Designers » R S » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Eau d'Ikar Sisley for men

Eau d'Ikar Sisley for men
dislike

Eau d'Ikar Sisley for men Pictures

It took twenty years to make this new launch by Sisley – the first ever masculine fragrance from the house named Eau d'Ikar. The d'Ordano family, which owns Sisley, did not hurry with its development.

The composition is based on the note of mastic, a Mediterranean tree that grows in Corsica where the family’s origins are. Mastika is in the top notes with bergamot, lemon, bitter orange and carrot seed, and it is placed in the heart combined with iris, jasmine, white tea, reed and other herbs and spices. The base also contains this note, in addition to the oriental - wood tones of ambergris, sandalwood and vetiver.

The bottle was designed by Polish sculptor Bronislaw Krzysztof. The fragrance is available as 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette. Eau d'Ikar was launched in 2011.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Bitter Orange Carrot Seeds

Mastic or Lentisque iris Jasmine Tea Green Notes Spices Reed

Vetiver Sandalwood Amber

Eau d'Ikar Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The opening of Eau d'Ikar is quite peculiar: notes of nutmeg, bergamot, a bold, sticky, warm rendition of lentiscus which smells halfway castoreum, candied dry fruits and saliva, oak moss (or better said its plain synthetic brother, evernyl), green notes, an aromatic base of spicy woods, quite sweet and warm (sandalwood, vetiver). Then vanilla, perhaps flowers (carnation?), a few spices, and a balsamic breeze all over. At first I did not even notice orris root and carrot, but then they slowly arise becoming after a while the most prominent accord, in a way that from a weird green-fruity-animalic scent it turns into a more ordinary waxy-warm powdery fragrance, where orris and carrot strongly contrast (and finally "win over") lentiscus and the initial fruity-green notes. Overall there is something I don't like here, either the consistency of lentiscus, which is weirdly soft, almost "liquid" in a kind of sickening way to my nose, or the fact that overall the fragrance smells a bit confused. It's basically a lentiscus-green galore which then turns into an iris-carrot powdery scent, with a clumsy and a bit out-of-the-blue transition which I do not appreciate much. Plus, the general quality of the materials (all of them) does not smell particularly good to me, it's all a bit weak and lacking in depth and "substance", but for nowadays' standards that is really not the first concern . I get it's all about my personal feeling so perhaps others may appreciate this – I just find it a bit messy and clumsy.

5,5-6/10

katacran
katacran

It's citrus-green. Wait it's...powdery. No! It's woody but creamy-balsamic. Yes, it's all at once.It's fantastic and perfectly rounded. Works incredibly well with my skin in this humid spanish summer. The powdery-soapy-woody feeling keeps you dry and the green-citrus is fresh and invigorating. The heat makes the fragrance envelop you (and people close to you) from time to time, and that's the kind of perfume wearer I am. So sillage fans will be dissappointed.

Hoxx
Hoxx

First thing I want to say is that the bottle is simply gorgeous, made of thick, heavy glass and with an obvious artistic craft.

The fragrance itself opens with a sharp blast of unripe lemon and bergamot, followed and, later, softened with a mastic note. The heart has all of that, but with a slight dose of earthiness from iris and/or carrot seeds, which complements the resinous, somewhat creamy mastic note very well. The drydown is made of woods, mostly vetiver, but with a trace of lentisque note as well.

When it's about performance, I don't have any kind of longevity problems with this one, as it stands here on my arm for seven hours and counting. It projects reasonably well, with more projection in the beginning with all that, almost screaming, sourness. It is very versatile season-wise, as it can be worn pretty much in all climates, IMO. However, I do think it's a bit more for the mature people, as I don't feel that a young guy can wear it as successfully as, say, a man in his 30s or 40s. Also, I don't like the fact that it's on the expensive side of the designer's fragrances.

All in all, this is quite unique composition with a less-known main note, and a lot of sharpness and tanginess. Eau d'Ikar is a classy scent for gentlemen with specific taste, a scent with character.

pedrozanforlin
pedrozanforlin

Still not used to it, I felt a smell of clean, washed, is not remarkable, it might change my impression ...

Catty
Catty

I agree with Perfumepsych, this scent can easily be worn by a woman.

In fact, I think that this scent is more feminine, lighter than "eau de campagne".

I just bought it today and 2 workmates asked me what it was.

It´s light green scent with a subtle but very original spicy touch. It´s not these generic spicy male scents out there.

It´s very elegant, decent and refined. In my Skin, it lasts the whole day.

A very well constructed scent. It could be indeed a niche scent.

Top Sisley Quality!

Marciu
Marciu

I had to delete all my chaotic reviews and decided to write a solid one.

Mastic is present all the way through while this fragrance lasts on my skin. It's definitely unique and stands out from the crowd. And IMO it's the "main player" in this composition. In the beggining it's blended with citruses and smells quite sharp. While it dries down, going into the heart, it gets smooth and creamy - and I feel it! I'd say that iris and tea are most detectable - along with lentisque of course. Later I get a little bit(but just a bit!) of Terre d'Hermes, but without pepper - vetyver and bitter-sour citruses mixed with woods. And that's pretty much it.
Very complex scent indeed.

Longevity is superb - 10 hours on my skin while it projects good for about 5 hours and goes to a skin scent later on.

I love it and it could easily be my signature scent if something happened with Gucci PH II....

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

Imagine the opening of prada infusion d'homme with less quality ingredients, add to it a huge dose of mastic and you have eau d'ikar. It's a little citrusy ,resiny , a little powdery.
It doesn't satisfy the nose , try infusion d'homme instead.

raef sherif
raef sherif

different than others, classy, and unique
Am glad i discovered this brand today

candy-datura
candy-datura

I suspect the success of this perfume depends on climate very much. In our northern latitudes it sounds nasty: you know, like in a cheap cafe. Really, I'm surprised by its sales in cold Russia. Maybe it opens "comme il faut" in Italy? Egypt? Argentina?

serch
serch

La marca sisley es reconocida por la calidad de sus productos eau de ikar no es la excepsión, me parece un perfume de clase, elegante su apertura es fresca, enseguida se mezcla un toque amaderado es muy agradable, pero en mi no tiene duración, es necesario reaplicar.Muy apropiada para primavera verano, recomendable, aunque su costo es alto.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Weird and wonderful!

I like it but I don't love it! But I love the fact the perfumer has given a go to a new concept (I mean who dares to put carrot seeds and a never heard of tree sap into a modern fragrance, plus Reed, the water grass, except Bond #9).

Therefore I commend it as an alternative to, say, BVLGARI Man that I would classify into the same realm of modern, underrated and understated "non-aquatic" men fragrances.

Longevity is poor (as is with BVLGARI Man) but the classy, crisp, sharp and sophistication is ACE.

9/10 for vision, concept and daring to be new and different.

6.5/10 for all-over result. Good but not great.

P.S.: Ideal gift for a vegan or gardener friend!! (Carrot seed note!)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

"It took twenty years to make this new launch by Sisley..."

It did? WHY? It begins with a mildly citrus note and proceeds to an odd, indifferent milky basenote. Hardly earth-shattering.

Not impressed.

walkdogg
walkdogg

Pleasingly STRANGE! Upon first sniff, the first spray it's loaded with citrus, but that is quickly fleeting. Just moment after the it's began to dry on the skin, it's weird starts to come into focus.

This smells "Fizzy" or "carbonated" -- very vivid and very sharp. I quite like it! But, it is a smell I am not familiar with in the normal world. That is not to say it's synthetic, in fact it smells quite natural, but, like I said, it's pleasantly strange! I suppose this is largely due to the "Mastic/Lentisque" note... Which I have been admittedly unfamiliar with.

If I had to compare this to something, I'd compare it to a dry-erase marker!! It also slightly resembles some iterations of vetiver which I have encountered, such as that of Route Du Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver, even molecule 03!

The scent has bite...it's not floral, or spicy, or woody. Not fruity or leathery or incensy...it's weird!
(and I LOVE weird!)

Rating: 8.5/10

jliu92
jliu92

im loving this toilette. i would've liked it in a parfum instead because it's strength is rather weak. if it wasnt for this unique smell, i wouldnt have purchased it.

AZ
AZ

I tried it it smells like someone who smokes just brushed his teeth.

da_markos
da_markos

Like others said - this one has the best vibrations from vintage and modern scents. This is really niche perfume in the mainstream market. It's classy so if you want to wear this you have to be gentleman. Right - it isn't macho, sport or metro style - it is pure classy perfume.

NikolasL
NikolasL

Dear all,

This is a realy lovely perfume. But please note that the MASTIC or (MASTIHA) is a unique product of CHIOS island and NOT Corsicas. Chios Island is in the aegean sea of Greece.
This unique tree is possible to be germinated Only in the half southest part of the island. It doesnt delivers mastic even if it is planded in the rest of the same island. The why is am unanswered question even for the schientists.
Mastic is not only used in parfumery but is also widely applicable in medicine too.
Search on the net about mastic. It does worth it...

Regards

Nikolas

marioslg3

after testing it again, the longevity is quite good. my wife smells this 4-5 hours after the application. The critics on the internet are so and so...for me and for some of the reviews, this is quite good fragrance, natural with an elegant touch. The start reminds older perfumes, citruses but there is something in that makes it different from other. This is the mastic and the first mastic perfume i tried. It is, i see it that it is unique and this matters for me. from all these creations the last years who are turning around 1 million etc, this is something that deserves attention and respect. The perfume was used by the family which is running Sisley and then, decided to put it in production for the public. Beyond that, it is considered for some reviewers unisex, but this is not something i would like to smell on a woman. there are many female perfumes that smell woman so there is no reason for a woman to wear male perfumes although some are saying that there is no gender in perfumery...but at least and personally me, i will never want to smell such a perfume on a woman. The whole thing is for a mature wealthy guy 30 and up and not for kids. give it a try and see the wonderful top notes, the elegant middle and the clean soapy base notes. lover of the original eau sauvage, give it a try....it is recommended for those that they do not want something to smell like many others. The compliments are high, both from women and men so what else we want on a perfume? the only problem was the longevity but after wearing it again and again and with 20C temperature, this is a jewel. It will be better maybe in summer but i consider it for all seasons and occasions, preferably formal though and office.

marioslg3

This is indeed a beautiful scent and although it starts a bit generic, then in some minutes the mastic appears and takes the whole thing in a different direction. i consider it natural, classy, smooth and high quality.
in about 10-20 minutes, the perfume is dominated by the smell of mastic and citruses.
I like it generally, either it reminds eau sauvage, which is a classic i like too, or is overpriced.
For me, it does not remind something else from the middle to the base notes and especially, i like the smell of mastic generally.
i dont know where some other see the relation with diot homme!!!!! come on now, we are talking for two completely different perfumes.
I see that there are some longevity/sillage problems but i'm not in a position now to give feedback. i beleive though that this is a summer scent and weak in the winter especially after the first 30 minutes....will see when i use it for a while...
for the time being, longevity zero...and indeed zero...i never had longevity issues with almost any perfume i used. Even Eau sauvage seems to last longer....its a pity!!! will see when i use it again because it must have some longevity.

StellaKapranos
StellaKapranos

This is the worst male perfume I`ve ever smelt!It literary made me vomit!I was with my boyfriend and we both agreed that this is definitely THE most awful smell ever.If it took them twenty years to make something bad as this,then I think they shouldn`t make any more perfumes ever.

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

The beginning is a combination of bergamot / lemon with a touch of herbal (originated from a plant called mastic). The output is very sour citrus, arrives to give the feeling that catches the tongue, but so far no problem for me. What really bothered me was this herbal, here's this kind of note not my style, Sinti the same kind of note I met boisee Kenzo and Gucci Sport in a bit too. It's something that reminds me of a bush or something. Maybe I can get used to me one day with this note, but now I can not stand.

With over a 15 to 20 minutes herbal note eases a little, yet it stays the citrus, but something comes floral iris feel something in the background, but I imagine qo is a predominance of jasmine. I'll look for that single note to make sure. It also rolls a touch powdery.

With little more than an hour to go disappearing citrus notes and sandalwood can feel the load of something else must be the sum of vetiver and amber (it is a woody scent with a median body weight). Perhaps this is more suitable for warm days.

Projection medium / low
Fixing: Dei six sprayed sample and even a 6-7 am could still feel it.

Anyway I rate 7/10, I recognize the quality of the perfume, but not my style. Just do not give a higher score because of longevity.

I quite like Eau D'Ikar. It opens with a blast of green citruses and bitter orange immediately joined by carrot seeds / iris (the real stars of the whole fragrance IMO). Mastic makes its appearance during the middle phase and together with vetiver and the overall iris vibe, lead the fragrance towards a well blended woody aromatic base with just a subtle hint of sweetness. Very nice maculine.

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

A beautiful scent, could easily be worn by a woman. Great longevity but not good sillage. If you like quiet scents, it is a great one.
I was wearing it today and no one understood it was a male scent. It is very herbal and airy, the mastic note very prominent and the carrot seeds too.
After a while i get citruses, iris and the tea note.

learningnose
learningnose

A wonderfull scent. Works very well on my skin. No probblem of longevity or sillage... Spray a little on your clothes if you want to irradiate. Citrus at the top? not harsh not dessert-like. There is nothing I can compare it to. It's modern woody susained by green and creamy notes, balanced so not be a déjà vu "easy" masculine fougere or another powdery frag. And I really don't get the comparision to Dior Homme.
PS; Sorry if my english is kinda rusty!

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Have run through two samples and I'm just not feeling it. The house of Sisley took there time launching a mans fragrance and I was expecting more.

While it appears to be well constructed (and not cheap), I'm not getting all the notes. It runs right thought the middle ones after the initial citrus blast with the vetiver really being overly predominant.

Packaging is classy (it is Sisley after all).

Sillage is on the weak side and longevity is lacking.

mylancome

Back from testing, this fragrance has nothing to do with Dior Homme, doesn't smell Dior Homme at all. Dior Homme drydown smell like burnt leather, while Eau d'Ikar drydown smell like aloewood. Eau d'Ikar is much better. Women can wear it too if she's willing. I would choose Eau d'Ikar for my man.

mylancome

It's hard to said who's come first. This perfume had been the personal perfume of the men of the D'ornano family more than 10 years ago (much earlier than Dior Homme). It was only launch recently after hire a sculptor to design the glass mold for the bottle.

Iris perfume is wide loved by the Upper Class, so nothing wrong for this Eau D'Ikar smell similar with other expensive brand perfume.

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

Ok, while it's pleasant enough, I'm now getting a touch tired of this whole "Orris for men" trend. After the massive success of Dior Homme and Infusion d'Iris', it seems everyone still wants to grab a piece of that same pie. ~ Hey, here's an idea, hows about baking your own different pie instead, rather than all this belated "wagon jumping". ;o) It's bound to garner more respect I'm sure ! (The lovely bottle certainly warrants something novel to match it !)

alchimia72
alchimia72

I bought it to my husband for Christmas. I adored it when i smelled it the first time. Very fresh and elegant. A modern vetiver. I like smell it on my man.

danielmventer
danielmventer

Spot on review by `Inselaffe`.

Lovely fresh x100 scent. Lasts for about an hour and a half (max). So this will be a very expensive fragrance with poor lasting power. But Wow.what a scent!!

Reminds me a bit of a Michael Jackson concert ...in that it was:

A Top quality show with great visuals, but was Always very expensive, did not last for longer than an hour and a half, then dissapears forever. That is ,if there was ever going to be a show.....

MARCEL

bronstein
bronstein

Oh my goodness, who wears this stuff? At first it smells like freshly burnt human meat (!), then in turns into some heavily perfumed medicine that no child ever would swallow. Avoid.

bp
bp

This scent is simply excellent in all respects.
It smells wonderful.
The olfactory notes are among my favorites.
The projection and longevity are magnificent.
The bottle is beautiful.
The brand is unique.
What more can you ask for a perfume.
The only problem is that it is too expensive ... which will not be all bad if you look at the uniqueness that this fragrance will have.
I love this Eau d'Ikar.

christoforos
christoforos

it's a blend of cavalli man and dior homme...

cpk
cpk

A bit of a disappointment. Not bad but I expected better. The mastic note is not that of mastic resin but the smell of the green lentisque leaves. Quite different. If I wasn't expecting so much I might have liked it more.

marios4
marios4

Good at the start, with green leaves, milky and soapy in the middle, very soft and a little bit "poudrè" for the iris (orris), but not very persistent; as for the rewiev of "minimalist" it remainds me the iris in Infusion d'Homme of Prada.
Smell before purchase, but a fragrance well done, after twenty years of study.
However a very good product, like all the Sisley creams.

savovu
savovu

I have to tell that this is a realy nice perfume, well done, balanced, not too sweet, not overpowered, not agressive. Well done, and I'd like to call it EAU COLOGNE De DIOR HOMME, because especially on the end it is very look a like Dior Homme for the iris.

Arvydas
Arvydas

d'Ikar smells good on your skin, definitely male. Feel spices, tea, maybe even the mastika.

Rudy Arnak
Rudy Arnak

A masterpiece. I put it in my skin yesterday. At the beginnig was very citrussy. Ok, expected. Then a few minutes later, I smelled and I was confused. I thought: "I didn´t put cream on my hands today. Where´s this smell coming from? It was the evolution of Eau d´Ikar!" Very soap, like a cream. Different, not as masculine as I was expecting(Eau de Rochas or Eau Savage) but good. Excellent.

minimalist
minimalist

Antonpan, you nailed it!
It makes me a very happy man to see that sometimes there's someone out there working hard, with a vision and willing to keep up with the highest standards like Sisley. At first it's similar to Eau de Campagne from the same brand, then turns into a milky-green accord with volume, depth. Dont know how lentisque smells, never had the chance but at this stage Eau d´Ikar reminds me of Prada Infusion d'Iris for men, both including lentisque as heart note so maybe this mentioned green & creamy note belongs to it. Vetiver appears later making the whole composition noble, educated.
It's green, it's like spring in a bottle. I covet it!

krisiu
krisiu

Nice, masculine. For me it's very similar to Kenzo pour Homme Boisee, though Kenzo is more sharp. That's why I prefer Kenzo

antonpan
antonpan

For such a long time I haven't tried a men's scent that is so beautiful, rich and well composed. To me Eau d'Ikar is a great balance of modern and "old" perfumery. It starts strongly - citrusy herbally reminding colognes of 70's or 80's (imagine Eau Sauvage for example). But soon it turns into a weird creamy (or milky) fresh (but still warm!) scent. I really like this softness came from the tea accord. Moreover this base is enriched by a clear vetiver note. Finally the composition transforms again, now into something light and irisy (but not sweet!)

As you've understood Eau d'Ikar is an extremely complex and versatile fragrance constructed of high quality components. For 2011 it sounds like a masterpiece, though I'm sure some will find it too soapy.

Margo2000
Margo2000

sounds great. have to try.

Eau d'Ikar by Sisley 3.75 out of 5 based on 146 ratings and 42 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Sisley Eau d'Ikar fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Sisley Eau d'Ikar, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau d'Ikar by Sisley. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau d'Ikar by Sisley represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.