Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Rume Slumberhouse for women and men

Rume Slumberhouse for women and men
dislike

camphor

Rume by Slumberhouse is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Rume was launched in 2011. The nose behind this fragrance is Josh Lobb. The fragrance features bay leaf, myrrh and labdanum.

Bay Leaf Myrrh Labdanum

Rume Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Extremely powerful explosion of bay leaf, fruity-oriental notes (dried fruits), rhum, tobacco, licorice, a strong, sticky, threatening resinous note, olibanum, a slap of cloves, overall not that far from the dense stickiness of Zahd (or to name other houses, Norma Kamali Incense) but with a really peculiar vein halfway dried-fruity, herbal (the bay leaf, extremely bold and realistic, a sort of visionary version "of steroids" of it), boozy and medicinal. Now, as most of those notes are apparently not in the composition, I guess that's a genius interplay of nuances due to a sort of "fermentation" of cistus, bay leaf, spices and resins. Pungent and syrupy, on skin it's a super dark, oily, thick smell, compact, strong and quite hard to "read"; on the sillage it "blossoms", giving life to all the notes listed above – dried and spicy fruits à la Lutens' Arabie, laurel, a bold boozy feel, a bag of cloves. Dry and strong woody aftertaste, smoky and camphor-like, which perfectly blends with the medicinal side. Like other Slumberhouse scents, Rume is stuffed with Lobb's obsessions and visions, here turned into a bizarre Oriental-futuristic archaic harmony of fruity, spicy, woody, herbal and resinous notes – which as I said, like other works by Lobb, fairly remind me in some aspects of Lutens. Quite a fascinating work, but frankly too challenging to wear in my opinion. Surely, uniqueness is not an issue for Josh!

dmarcus1260
dmarcus1260

Rume takes me back to my youth when I lived with my grandparents on a ranch. My great grandfather use to make wine in the basement. My grandmother use to make fruitcakes during the Christmas holidays. I had an uncle that use to smell like vinegar because he drank shots of it as a health tonic. Another scent memory that Rume reminds me of is my stepdad making Glogg. Of all the notes listed on Fragrantica, I mostly detect bay leaf and some myrrh in the opening, after a few hours the labdanum makes it self known, adding warmth to the fragrance. Rume isn't nearly as potent in terms of projection and longevity as some of the other offerings from Slumberhouse that I have experienced. I like Rume although I can't see myself owning a bottle. I think it would be better suited as a scented candle or room spray.

LaDomna
LaDomna

This one does really really weird things on my skin... It literally smells, from start to finish, like urine and rotting hay! I get no root beer, no cola, no spices, nothing sweet at all... Just this foul sour and rotten stench... As I get a slight sourness in Vikt too and the two scents share bay leaf as a note, I am guessing that my skin just hates bay leaf...

If Die Antwoord were a pink flamingo
and Rume were a plume of fume

Their child would be a punk fumingo
spraying Christmas pudding
throughout the room

[post ed]
Alfarom had conducted an interview with Josh Lobb (Rume).

Alfa) If you were supposed to do a bespoke fragrance for a musician, who would it be and how the fragrance would smell like?

JL) I'd love to do ..... Dom Perignon perfume for Die Antwoord.

Thank you Alfarom.

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

This opens with a fermented spicey monster projection. I have tried 10 Slumberhouse frags, and the commonality is that they are all over-poweringly strong. It's like hearing a great tune, but turning up the volume to the max...it is too much. This dried down to a more managable mix.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Rume has definite boozy fruity notes, like mixed fruit including plums, marinating in rum and sherry for a Christmas cake. It's quite sweet but in a dark way, not sugary at all. This takes away the medicinal notes I have found in the other Slumberhouses I've tried. Rume could pass for a gourmand. The Christmas cake nuances are very tempered by the myrrh and labdanum, and the whole concoction is very smoothly blended. Simply lovely.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

The opening is surprising but then I get a smoky clove dark berry. Pleasant for women or men. Delicious. Lasts all day and then some.

42gr

On initial application I get cloves and bay leaves. Just the right amount of sweetness in the scent. Not cloying, and one of the smoother lines in Slumberhouse.

As time moves on the scent projects further afield from the body.
Radiates out more - must be body heat activating the scent ?

Deep Green. Smell of cut pine tree trunk and bark.
Illusions of Christmas cake

Hints of resinous notes whispering here and there ?

Quite striking and individual. Not your run of the mill fragrance. This stuff stands out from the crowd. OK its not for everybody but it is to be applauded in the land of Mr Me Too and Mrs Same Here.

This is comfortably unisex as is all of the Slumberhouse offerings so far.

4.1 /5

[update]
Would I wear it ? My preference is toward Norne and then Jeke. Both are less sweet. Going to try and layer Rume with Norne. Don't think this would layer well with Jeke. They are too wildly different.

Ok, tried it, and so Rume and Norne don't layer well.

ladykarl
ladykarl

Heavy Heavy Heavy
anybody want to wear root bear or cola
honestly i almost like it if it were less cloying
The burnt sugar thing i like /its just that there is not any lightness
that lets it breath!

deadidol
deadidol

An odd mix of myrrh, a slightly nutty scent, and a sweet cola that (to me) smells more like some kind of alcoholic currant beverage. It's probably one of the smoothest from this line as, like the Pear+Olive fragrance from this house, it's quite sweet, but not in a tacky, oppressive kind of way -- nor does it have any of the ashy smoke from the other lines. Although the notes dictate something a little different, the feeling I get from Rume is that I'm sitting in an old, wooden wine barrel that had been used in some bizarre experiment to create a new, rich version of a boozy cola type beverage. It's lovely, but for those who dig the ashy drama of Jeke, Norne, and Baque, this one is much sweeter. Longevity is nuts, of course; I can smell it after a couple of days, but I think that's because the scent itself is so strikingly memorable.

While it's probably more wearable than some of the others, this is certainly not for those prefer the mainstream fragrance counter type of scent, and certainly not for those who like to have the word "sport" tacked onto the end of their fragrances.

If aesthetics, scent-narratives, and experimentation are your thing, take this one for a spin.

Rume striked me as very Lutens-like. A full bodied composition where a strong resinous presence (myrrh and labdanum) is joined by clove and bay. Somewhere between Serge Noir and Fille En Aiguilles. It has an overall burnt-sugary, sort of roasted, vibe. It's spicy and slightly (slightly) medicinal. The myrrh remarks its presence with pungent accents while a honeyed note adds even more density.

Good.

Rume by Slumberhouse 3.61 out of 5 based on 39 ratings and 11 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Slumberhouse Rume fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Slumberhouse Rume, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rume by Slumberhouse. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rume by Slumberhouse represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.