Designers » R S » « Groups

Stephen Jones Stephen Jones for women and men

Stephen Jones Stephen Jones for women and men
dislike

ozonic

In cooperation with niche house Comme Des Garcons, the first perfume for Steven Jones, named after him, will be presented during London Fashion Week in September 2008. The perfume is created of accentuated aromas of violet, cloves, carnation, jasmine, heliotrope, Guaiac tree, clover, vetiver and amber. The perfume arrives as 55 ml edt. The fragrance was created by Antoine Maisondieu.

Carnation Amber Violet Jasmine Violet Leaf Cloves Guaiac Wood Vetiver Heliotrope Black Clover Rose

Ophelie

Stephen Jones Fragrance Reviews

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Absolutely in love with this beautiful Comme des Garçons fragrance collaboration with milliner mastermind Stephen Jones.

As weird as it may sound, this really does feel/smell like Stephen Jones in a bottle.
It feels dark, charming, stylish, and slightly victorian (if that makes sense). This suits both sexes, it is one of those fragrances that seems to suit a personality and sense of style more so than that of gender.

If you like aldehydes and violet chances are you will fall head over heels in love with this one too. It is rather odd but thats the charm behind it. It has a great longevity and silage, although in saying that it isn't suffocating which is often hard to get with strong fragrances, I get lots of compliments when I wear this one.

Someone referenced Alice in Wonderland when describing this perfume to me and I could not agree more, it feels like something the fabulous Mad Hatter would wear if he wore fragrance. It is elegant, regal but at the same time completely eccentric, but ALWAYS remaining tasteful.

I have nothing but brilliant things to say about this one.

10/10 for me.

My favourite fragrance from the Comme des Garcons range.

farang
farang

I don't like the smell of it. To me SJ smells synthetic-soapy-fruity. I am fully aware that most 'natural' smelling fragrances nowadays are made from synthetics, but this one doesn't try to hide the synthetic smell, and with an initial blast of aldehydes it becomes too much and nauseating for me.

aristocrat
aristocrat

To say the VIOLENT violet in this with a capital V is distinctive would be the understatement of the century! It brings me back to my childhood when I used to scoff those little rolls of parma violet sweeties by the bucket load! And as much as I have fond memories attached to the scent of violet I don't care to smell of it this much!
I really think STEPHENIE Jones would be a preferential name for this one!
It's uber fem and perhaps more appropriate for an older lady.. An older accomplished lady with a sense of quirk & artistry... Or maybe just a bohemian soul. This one is not for me.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

I'm surprised aldehydes aren't listed here, because this scent really plunges through the nasal canal with the characteristic power of an aldehyde-driven perfume.

And yet, it's not offensively pungent or soapy, but rather clear, brusque and enlivening. The violet is immediately upfront, yet it doesn't have the choking, cough-syrup quality that can be experienced in Terry Gunzburg's gag-inducing violet nightmare "Ombre Mercure".

"Stephen Jones" smells cool and clean, with a spacious air, as if the ingredients had been powdered and laid out in a pristine, white laboratory. Very modern, very chic.

One other interesting aspect is that when I smell this perfume, I can smell other scents better. It's like a palette-cleansing sorbet offered in a posh restaurant, but for the nose.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Intriguing. Have been curious about this since I first read about it. Had the chance of testing it the other day. Not your ordinary violet perfume. But I don´t care for that plasticky note that I detect in it.

AmoreProfumi

Needs another review, lasts all day!!, I sprayed this @around 8:30 this morning, it is now 12 midnight && I can still smell it easily, Pure Magic! I adore this perfume, layer it with my Burberry Touch && I'm in sheer heaven! xoxo :D

reborn
reborn

I like it sooo much .I hope i will buy it soon.I dont detect any violet.On me is all about very strong rose with clves.I smell very peppery note ,but it cames from the cloves.Very thick and strong aroma.I am not sure about the longivity though.On me is not so long lasting

xxstarburstxx
xxstarburstxx

My absolute favourite & my signature scent.
Apart from the bottle & packaging being amazing - a black hat box with a black net veil wrapped around a black ink type bottle - this fragrance is like nothing else I have ever smelt.
I believe it is my first encounter with violets that I enjoy. Its modern, deep & yet somehow uplifting. It manages to have a fresh feel while being incredibly deep & sexy. Its a juxtaposition!
A blend which doesn't particularly separate out, cloves making it spicy and amber grounding it gently.
I am not sure my review is making sense as it is such a difficult fragrance to describe.
Its very unusual & FABULOUS!
Sillage & longevity excellent

AmoreProfumi

I got this for x-mas!! uh I love it so much!! I laugh @ the people who dislike this how can you possibly dislike a truly unique perfume with monster sillage && longevity, anyone hating on this perfume is probably b/c they can't afford it, or don't wanna pay that much for only 55ml. the scent is wonderful, the bottle is simplistically beautiful && captures the scent well && it lasts, don't pay attention to all the negative reviews if you noticed the like && love bar are longer then the dislike. My advice just ask for it for x-mas like me! I waited a whole year to get this && it was well worth the wait! :D

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I have to blame myself for falling for all the hype about this scent. I was literally on edge waiting for my sample and now I am very very thankful I did not drop a horrendous amount of money for it. First of, this is a lovely violet scent. But if you are looking for anything out of the extraordinary like how this was marketed as an edgy dark, metallic violet scent, it's not. TF's black violet is more dark than this in my opinion. If there was any metal in this, it's definitely rusted away leaving nothing. It's honestly a pretty violet, accentuated by jasmine, made fuller with carnations and deepened with woody amber, but the most prounced is still the fresh green violet and you can get the same scent with a lot of other violet perfumes besides the TF option, like Borsari's Violetta, which is less powdery than Penhaligon's for those who don't like a whole lot of powder, or for those who want a different kind of violet, I would recommend SL's Bois de Violette or Femninite du Bois. I have no issues splurging on things I desire, more than I should. But I can't recommend this as it's so expensive and doesn't live up to it's marketing.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I want to make a correction ....
Stephen Jones is sold at Tobi.com for 150.00
not $75.00 as mentioned
Luckyscent.com has it also .......175.00 a bottle

thehanna
thehanna

I think this smells more Victorian than modern but I can see it becoming someone's favorite scent.

A crisp, beautiful, cool purple perfume. Vetiver and clove give a woodsyness that is more like an herbal digestif than a forest. Purple green violets are frosty and perfumey.

A wonderful perfume that smells like a Siberian ice princess or a very sophisticated violet based cocktail.
Also, distinctly reminds me of the smell of the inside pockets of the Victorian era evening bags my grandmother collected in one of her cederlined closets

AmoreProfumi

Just ordered 2 samples from Luckyscent, o god I hope I don't fall in love with it haha if so that'll be a big splurge that stuff ain't cheap on there && beings I can't find it anywhere else there my best bet, o god I can't wait now, this sounds so up my alley! I'll leave an update if I likey! ^_^

UPDATE:(2-22-12) YESSSS I LOVE IT! && NOW I WANT IT!! :D but to expensive for my blood atm. so gonna wait end of summer that way I'll have it for the new winter. :)

jane.rome
jane.rome

My sample came from Luckyscent today, and while it's not offensive, I'm not picking up on all the hype either. To me, it smells like I came from getting my hair done; clean, but hairspray like. Meh.

Edit: This does have incredible staying power, can still smell it 9 hours later. I was told it smells soapy and clean, but not sexy.
Figured it out. It smells very similar to L'Oreal Studio Line hair products.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I'm really not sure if I am smelling the same as the other reviewers. I got a sample from Luckyscent, and it is labelled Comme des Garcons Stephen Jones. And it is fantastic. But to me it is a sweet, sweet, SUPER-SWEET leather. As much as I have sniffed and sniffed I can't get the violet. Knockout sillage (use sparingly!), brilliant longevity (many hours), and definitely one I will be using a fair bit in colder weather. Leather lovers should try it.

P.S. Does anyone know what a poblano is? (used by Luca Turin in his review of this)

CathyCooper
CathyCooper

GORGEOUS fragrance. Elegant and modern. The packaging: a lovely black bottle wrapped in black netting in a chic, little hat box. LOVE.

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Gorgeous woody violets. Yes! I have been searching for this fragrance for some time.

A dark and cold violet, slightly metallic but woody, too. This is so beautiful...I would call it "haunting" definitely.

I've only just tested it but it is love so far. Will update later after proper testing. Right now, I think I need to be alone with this.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

Im loving the reviews for this , sounds so unusual , and as a VIOLET and MODERN scent its a must try!!!

I dont suppose anyone has got a decant for swops have they ?? :)

delphine67
delphine67

A blast of carnation and violet. There is also a woody note from the guaiac. its a nice scent to smell.The violet gives the scent its sweetnes while the carnation gives it a sharp edge.
I compare it with the scent of John Galliano but more spicy then that.

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

Mmm... not a fan, sorry to say. I've given it a few outings, mainly because I respect the work of M. Maisondieu. It's a mainly floral scent, but with a persistent harsh undercurrent of.. something.. not sure what, but I don't find it particularly engaging.

A challenging "clean-perfume"! Sounds impossible? Try and see. This composition made by CDG for Stephen Jones is litterally a BLAST of floral cleanness. Just try to think for a minute about a pushed to the (very) limit version of White Linen on steroids and add a considerable dose of incense, woody notes, violet, cloves. A breathtaking experience and one of the weirdest scents around. Absolutely compelling!

Rating: 8.5-9/10

An intriguing fragrance to say the least. I'm certain that anything with a marketing description of 'violets that have been hit by meteorites' would have anyone rushing out to get themselves a sample.

This fragrance, while strange, is not so futuristic in my opinion. It's more like violets with an attitude, being ever so edgy, dark and violent. I also feel that Stephen Jones falls under a gothic category.

Stephen Jones makes me fall in love with it the same way one would fall in love with Dior's Poison. That potent richness is strangely appealing, like something you'd expect to find, covered in dust, hidden away from the light in Count Dracula's basement.

It has a lot of character, but it's also a dark, Wintery scent, which will appeal to those that like anything ever so slightly depressing during the colder months.

The notes in this composition are not bright nor feminine. There is an obvious dark component added to each accord, with red rose, sharp violets, indolic jasmine, rich cloves and resinous amber keeping this fragrance from becoming a typical, tea party type scent.

The lasting power is exceptionally good, as is the sillage which could possibly knock someone out cold. I've come to the conclusion that I really like this fragrance, however I'm a little afraid to wear it in case someone might mistake me for a vampire.

Mogie
Mogie

On me this scent is a very fresh almost powdery scent. It opens very sweet for me you can definitely smell the violet in there and as it starts to dry down I could smell the spicyness infused into the floral notes. It's a clean scent I could see myself wearing as a day scent maybe.

kittymeow84
kittymeow84

This stuff is GODLY. Oh my god I LOVE it! So crisp and harsh - works so well with my chemistry. It's not unisex on me at all, very distinctly feminine instead.
But still it's hard and extreme and 'pointy' hehe :-D

ca.comMiss_Binky
ca.comMiss_Binky

This started out w/ a sharp sour smell on me and progressed to a dirty/clean soapy inscence smell-then I just sort of got an impression of an old Catholic church w/ decades of worn in dirt and ghostly offal from the inscence censures-too much for l'il old me but great for someone more gothy,or exotic but finally in the end, it smelled just like Revlon Charlie

rebella
rebella

Do you like your violet fragrances sweet, powdery and maybe even old-fashioned? Then I guess you should stay away from Stephen Jones. Do you like modern, even futuristic perfumes? Oh, then Stephen Jones can be the one you looking for. It is a beautiful, cold, metallic, advanced and challenging violet fragrance. It is actually putting up a fight against Frederic Malle´s Dans Tes Bras, they are both wonderfully made masterpieces. But they have the violet note in common but not much else. Stephen Jones is cold and uplifting like mineralwater with violet taste. Like just picked tiny little absolutly beautiful violet on a metalplate in a sterile, absolutly modern labaratory, the staff in white robes are about to dissect them. Stephen Jones is refreshing, cold and will not come to you, you will have to hunt it gentle, while remember what a delicate flower violets are... Ssssh, be careful if you like to catch the magic in the fragrance of Stephen Jones. I compare it with Dans Tes Bras, but even if they both are far away from powdery, almost candied sweetness of some violet perfumes, they are very different. Like nature against science, forrest against shiny metal desks...

I guess it is a question of personlity (and skinchemistry as usual) wich one you prefer, I find Stephen Jones easier to wear but I actually like Dans Tes Bras better, it is warmer and for me warmth always wins over cold. Well, anyway I think I love Stephen Jones sort of. I consider it a must try, but don´t expect to be seen as a warm and caring person while you have it on.

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones 4.09 out of 5 based on 76 ratings and 26 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Stephen Jones Stephen Jones fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Stephen Jones Stephen Jones, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.