Designers » T-Z » Woody Aromatic « Groups

dislike

leather
smoky
Pour Homme Ted Lapidus for men Pictures Pour Homme Ted Lapidus for men Pictures

Pour Homme by Ted Lapidus is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Pour Homme was launched in 1978. Top notes are aldehydes, bergamot, coriander, thyme and lemon; middle notes are spruce, jasmine, leather, patchouli and vetiver; base notes are castoreum, labdanum, moss, musk and olibanum.

Aldehydes Bergamot Coriander Thyme Lemon

Men's Style

Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

kl99
kl99

A very dry pungent astringent combination of leather oakmoss and incense plus herbal and lemony notes. Labnanum and Castoreum for a petroleum fecal bitter side.

One step far to be an english Barbecue sauce. Maybe less than one step.

Superdated aromatic 70s here. Make me think to a beach house in the pine forest. So pic nic under the pines, burning woods smoke, evernia prunastri...

Nowdays i can figure this scent on a very super viril 70 years old man proud of his surviving erection.

well built, even nice, but my god, this is good for the history of perfumery, but you have to be brave to wear it.

I have got the metal sigar box like edt atomizeur of this fragrance

remind me Arrogance pour homme and Hashish man by Veejaga and Juvena's men's style.

Abobaker Gamaleldeen Eid
Abobaker Gamaleldeen Eid

best leathery smoky fragrance feeling of classic businessman
Simllar to Jules Christian Dior

Rerik
Rerik

I found the first Gucci pour homme and Ted Lapidus pour homme in a great condition on a flea market. An older woman sold them, seems that those were the best scents to keep for a special time.
Both are old tester bottles. Both in almost new condition, as if they were made yesterday. So I had a good chance to smell the original juice.
First I tried the scent on a piece of paper and wasn`t impressed, even disappointed. Strong Leather.
But then I tried this scent on skin, it opens very potent with a blast of leather, some kind of floral smokines, animalic. Very masculine, nothing for women.
One of the best old school scents and for me the best.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Ted Lapidus pour Homme is a good and solid classic leathery chypre of the ‘70s, with a rich, full and dense opening showing leather (that typical roasted-tanning dry leather note à la Knize, just a bit more rich here), soapy-barbershop notes, benzoin, woods, carnation, lavender, probably also civet providing a “dirty added value”, oak moss (the good and real one) and a nice, and quite more unusual amber-resinous accord which gives this Lapidus a nice feel of cozy, slightly feminine refinement - something that quite many other “macho” fougères lacked in back then. It’s overall an austere, dark and shady scent, but also much elegant, soft, somehow soapy and well brightened by a subtle gentle breeze of sweet-resinous-floral notes, like the future Bel Ami or Gianfranco Ferré for Man. Lapidus is not “superior” to them, but to me can comfortably sit on the same level of quality (well, perhaps Bel Ami is still more gorgeous...). On the contrary, it is easily miles above any contemporary leather scent for men, or so called “new chypres” – not that it takes that much to be better than them. Overall not a masterpiece or a mandatory scent in my opinion, but a really good, solid, “virile” yet gentle masculine cologne, quite conventional perhaps but solid and well made. For all pursuers of leather and civet and fans of Bel Ami, Kouros, Dior’s Jules, Knize Ten and other pillars or “real men’s” perfumery (for all the others, good luck with your LM Parfums Hard Leather).

7,5-8/10

cosmicfred
cosmicfred

Very dry no sweetness nor flower at all for me.
Nothing to do with ANTAEUS or FARENHEIT in my opinion.
Not too strong, it is not a powerhouse.

class
class

I noticed that spruce is listed as an ingredient, and I like Sitka spruce, but I did not detect the spruce in it. This TL fragrance is ok, but a little too heavy for me. It faintly reminds me of Farenheit, having a Johnson's Band-Aide-like smell to it. Perhaps if the castoreum and the olibanum were omitted as ingredients, then it would not be so strong.

I think someone claimed this one is similar to Leonard Pour Homme, and since I already own and enjoy that one, I don't feel obligated to seek out this one (and it never seems to sell for reasonable prices on ebay either). However, this one does not list carnation and LPH clearly has a strong carnation note. Another idea is vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, though I think the concentrated version of that one would be closer.

Jerry Can

@TheLumineri. Have you changed your review? I seem to recall it mentioned citrus (as does Sirius86). And this would describe more the Lapidus PH. I would agree with you that it was smokey and leathery. Quite a heavy scent unlike the Lapidus PH. It would seem we are clearly now describing the same product. I have no recollection of citrus at all. My memory is not infallible for sure and it is 30 years since I used it for the last time. But that is definitely the bottle. How lucky you are to have a bottle after all this time? In any case thankyou for your clarifying this; and regards.

TheLumineri

@Jerry Can: I am certainly commenting on the correct fragrance. This fragrance was entered into the Fragrantica database because of MY email to the editor. The stock photos used above are of MY bottle - which I currently still have in my collection. Perhaps your olfactive memory is confusing this fragrance with another one you may have used in the 70s - 80s?

Jerry Can

I used this perfume from the late '70s until the mid-80s. It was ahead of its time in terms of style and composition and made a massive impact on me. It saddens me so much that Lapidus stopped this one: it seemed peerless throughout its time. There isn't much that compares today, although Molton Brown's Black Pepper reminds me of it. TheLumineri and Sirius86: I don't remember citrus. I remember it being a heavy smokey scent. Are we describing the same fragrance?

maab
maab

I had this perfume in the early 80s. It was a true masterpiece.

PilPilx
PilPilx

Ted Lapidus Pour Homme is not Lapidus pour homme...
Ted Lapidus is GORGEOUS, castoreum, genuine oakmoss, IMO it reminds Antaeus and Patou Pour Homme (the original one).
I love this rare scent, and this page is for me a bis surprise.
The best Lapidus in the History of this Brand!

TheLumineri

VERY potent VERY smokey VERY leathery. I personally like it a LOT, but the majority may disagree. It opens with trumpet-hits then gradually de-crescendos to a smooth Jazzy tone. Absolutely a Winter/cold weather scent in my opinion as it is quite strong. I can also see myself wearing it on occasional Autumn days as well as it would blend well with the leaves and foliage. It goes very well with a leather jacket (any style) and a flannel shirt or turtle-neck. I could also picture this appealing to cigar/pipe smokers with a snifter of your favorite cognac or whiskey. I would, however, definitely advise to try it before you buy it - IF you ever happen to come by it, that is.

Sirius86
Sirius86

This is a strong, smoky and animalic fragrance from the 70's with its birch tar-like castoreum. I wouldn't say it is better than chanel's Antaeus, but it definitely comes close to it and is much better in my opinion than its later (1987) namesake, Lapidus Pour Homme. The opening is somewhat Citric, but it quickly dries down to a smoky, leathery and musky scent.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ted Lapidus Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Ted Lapidus Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Pour Homme by Ted Lapidus. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Pour Homme by Ted Lapidus represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.