Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Rumba Ted Lapidus for women

Rumba Ted Lapidus for women
dislike

Rumba by Ted Lapidus is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Rumba was launched in 1989. Top notes are bergamot, plum, basil, peach, orange blossom, raspberry and mirabelle; middle notes are honey, jasmine, tuberose, carnation, heliotrope, magnolia, gardenia, lily-of-the-valley, orchid, marigold and rose; base notes are ambergris, vanilla, leather, tonka bean, patchouli, musk, sandalwood, cedar, plum, styrax and oakmoss.

Bergamot Plum Basil Peach Orange Blossom Raspberry Mirabelle

Honey Jasmine Tuberose Carnation Heliotrope Magnolia Gardenia Lily-of-the-Valley Orchid Marigold Rose

Ambergris Vanilla Leather Tonka Bean Patchouli Musk Sandalwood Cedar Plum Styrax Oakmoss

Rumba
Randa
Rumba Passion

Rumba Fragrance Reviews

Perfumed Romeo
Perfumed Romeo

Need Help please....
I wanna try this fabulous 80s masterpiece. But it is marketed for Women and thats why i am stepping back . But contrary to that , this one is also closer to Ted Lapidus pour homme which is ultra Masculine deal, and i totally love that.
Can Some tell me, If a Man can use it. No indication on packaging either its for man or woman.

Thanks

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

I love fragrances with epic over 10 notes in the formula! I can enjoy it for hours and hours, like a long movie. This one has 29 notes. Not a modest fragrance. This is an amazing and powerful fruity floral chypre. It's similar to Balenciaga's Rumba but I prefer this one because it's not as loud. It's more like an echo that repeats the same sound. This smells intoxicating and sweet, a bit like Femme by Rochas so if you like that scent you'll love this one. Fruity, floral, spicy, woodsy. This has a lot going on and I get lost in the fragrance smelling all the different notes that it throws up: Mirabelle, plum, peach, jasmine, gardenia, carnation, heliotrope, magnolia, orchid, honey, oak moss, leather patchouli and vanilla. This thing has incredible longevity. Wear it for 3 days straight after spritzing it one time. It's an evening perfume but it's also got the fruitiness and sweetness associated with spring and summer day time scents. Fantastic fragrance.

kl99
kl99

Same story: the vintage one by Balenciaga was better.

But are ages I don’t smell it and the comparison is just a matter of memory that can be contaminated.

Into the Lapidus ones I suspect there is a low quality of rose (and of all maybe), anyway the first Rumba was a rich complex rose surrounded by dark fruits, but luminescent an explosions of golden flowers bees spice girls etc etc..
Well? What to say? Have you seen the notes? There is the entire world of essences inside. Rumors says J.C. Hellena has work on it. And yes it was a dance of fat flowers luminous honey rich cream and red and blue berries. Opulent & Gentle. Masterpiece.
The new version is similar but more flat and too zesty, especially the first 15 minutes, then it calms down and become a joy. It is even green and glossy citrusy someway.

An episode.
I remember I gave this to a friend of mine for Christmas (1989), she was a fan of sexy strong enveloping perfumes (Giorgio Beverly Hills, Boucheron, First). Balenciaga was not so famous anymore in the end of 80s as brand and even the fragrances were difficult to find, and was funny because after Christmas she call me and says “oh my god, everybody is asking me what a gorgeous perfume am I wearing and I do not know what answer to them!” I replied “Jesus only say Rumba by Balenciaga!” “Sure but if I say so they make strange faces and ask me what is it and where to find it! What Should I say?”.
Sometimes to wear well known perfumes can save your time. I discovered.
And she feel safer wearing famous brand probably... like those that loves to show GG D&G LV YSL FF on their clothes and bags. Don't ask me anything. Read.

matillyrose
matillyrose

My son told me I smelt like the inside of a Mystic New Age shop...

Yep that about sums up the description of this fragrance.

There are so many notes it's hard to tell what is going on.

It's absolutely gorgeous but you need to be one hell of a woman to pull it off.

Meek little me will secretly keep to wearing this at home.

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

What's going on here??? This is a Balenciaga perfume. When did this happen?

Did they sell the rights of the composition to Lapidus ditching it cause it didn't match the New-minima-cool style of the house? Ahhh, what a shame.

Let me check what they've done with Le Dix.

The_Entity
The_Entity

This is good, I detect leather, plum and honey. Reminds me of frags avon used to do, this isnt an expensive smell, but if you like spicy and sweet, give it a try

ptilda
ptilda

From the moment I sniffed the bottle, she called me inside to a time when life was much less simple. A time when women did not yet know how to exercise their independence, because they were still fighting for it. A time when smelling like flowers and cigarettes and skank and a little bit of demure sweetness was the closest thing you got to walking out on "your place."

Perfumes in the 1980s were a time of self discovery and self expression. Big hair, big shoulder-pads, and big scents compensated for insecurity of what tomorrow would being. For just a moment this scent grounds me in that time.

This is a gorgeous blend. It reminds me a lot of Caesar's World Women (I'm sure many will disagree). The leather is present but does not assault the nose. A successful blind buy!

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

On me I get leather, more leather, tonka bean oakmoss and just the tiniest hint of fruit. It’s an almost masculine fragrance, and I quite like that about it. It’s dark, and mysterious and is quite reminiscent of the fluid sensuality of the dance for which it is named. Its androgynous sexuality makes it quite an interesting fragrance, reminiscent in character to E’tat Libre D’Orange’s Delicious Closet Queen. I can imagine a fragrance like this on a young David Bowie, with his Lauren Bacall hairdo and sinful ethereal beauty, and if that’s not glamorous I don’t know what is.

Jerine123

I have both the Rumba Balenciaga and Rumba Ted Lapidus versions. They are both the EDT versions and I noticed that the Balenciaga version is a darker color and a little more potent/pungent or stronger. They are both pretty great but the Ted version seems just a tiny bit lighter and sweeter both in color and on the skin. This stuff has enormous silage so either one lasts all day and leaves a trailing scent behind. If you are looking for the really heady stuff, I would recommend the Balenciaga....think Opium, Mitsouko or Diva strong otherwise the Ted version is just a bit tamer (not much).

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

This is really a fantastic fragrance to me. Far Better than expensive generic smells thes days. I found it bit masculine ,and really wanna give it a try. I am a man, but dont know if i can pull this off. But really like this hhaunting, ghost kind of a smell.

Jerine123

What a great description from Odenir De Faria! Think a great 80's fragrance that is not afraid to show up. This one reminds of dance clubs, "Bad Girls" music from Donna Summer or even Lady Marmalade struttin her stuff. Rumba almost sounds too calm for this one....more like Hot Salsa club or even the paso doble or tango dance. Wow!

loonad
loonad

this is very strong incense on my skin.my sister loves it but i prefer rumba passion.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

smells amazing like a exact dupe of Jil Sander no4

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

This is one of the most perfect vagabond-whore type fragrances ever!

Surreal.
Poisonous.
Bitchy.
Sensual.

Wear it to kill!

I think everyone who loves Rumba hates it a little bit deep inside, like me, but keeps loving it.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I think that a lot of people will be pleased that there is now a separate page for the current Rumba, as opposed to the vintage. THANK YOU, Fragrantica!!!!

Rumba by Ted Lapidus 3.85 out of 5 based on 90 ratings and 15 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ted Lapidus Rumba fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Ted Lapidus Rumba, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rumba by Ted Lapidus. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rumba by Ted Lapidus represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.