Designers » T-Z » Floral « Groups

Rose Poivree The Different Company for women

Rose Poivree The Different Company for women
dislike

Rose Poivree by The Different Company is a Floral fragrance for women. Rose Poivree was launched in 2000. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Ellena. Top notes are pink pepper, coriander and black pepper; middle note is rose; base notes are vetiver and civet.

Pink Pepper Coriander Black Pepper

Rose

Vetiver Civet

Cinabre
Clemency

Rose Poivree Fragrance Reviews

magda14012
magda14012

When tested in the summertime, all I could detect was pepper, so much pepper that made me sneeze. And a hint of rose. I was disappointed.
Gave it a try now that the temp is around 0C and what a difference it makes. There is this velvety dark rose, lots of rose petals in fact. Smooth, silky and oriental spices that make it all more interesting. Wow! Lasts all day.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Oh, this smells like sin!
The scent is unmistakeably warm and organic, I liken it to a nude womans' body glistening with sweat being warmed by the sun, she is lying on a bed of rose petals. Perhaps she has been ravished a scent is emanating from her sex. It doesn't get anymore seductive than that!
There is pepper in this too, it is in the beginning then the rose comes through blending with the black and pink pepper. The Damascus rose is earthy and is supported by the animalic civet with the dry vetiver in the background. The rose and pepper combination is not unusual (Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin, Rose en Noir, Paestum Rose Eau D`Italie, Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection) but I think that Rose Poivree is an incomparable and sensual take on this combination of notes!

Marciu
Marciu

This is not a fragrance for women IMO. Yes, it has rose in it. However,huge load of civet and spices makes it good for men too. I love it, because it's simply a spicy rose on my skin. Besides, it's the most beautiful smell of rose petals I've ever smelled in perfume.

Longevity is 8 hours and sillage is moderate.

Perfect for spring. 10/10.

IlDottoreFaustus

I think there are at least two different batches, differ from each other from the rose absolues involved.
The later batch I have (encoded from 73)(imho) is consisted of more distinctive and more rose absolue(or modified raw material) which contribute more sharp floral aldehyde facet and more creamy sweat ester facet. The projection is better yet the characteristic is more feminine.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

When you first apply this scent to your skin you get a quick snapshot of what's in store. You can smell a lovely pink rose, strong pepper, a hint of musky civet and a dose of cumin.

Then just after this opening you get the strong dose of Indian spices vying for domination on your skin. Strong peppers and lots of cumin. A vetiver note also joins the party giving the scent a spicy earthy feel.

Now once this settles you have a very nice though challenging blend of rose and Indian spices with a slight muskyness from the civet in the background.

This scent is done very well and I do like it. Though it is a challenging fragrance and one best suited for the experienced nose. Or those that like to be challenged by their scents.

To sum up a lovely but challenging blend of pink roses and Indian spices with a dose of muskiness in the background.

rum
rum

Rose and Pepper. Hard to describe why I chose this scent to sample, as TDC is not available in the UK. I love rose but not too fond of pepper in scents.

After three seconds, I was transfixed! This is by no means a pepper mill, but a spiced-up rose scent, perfectly balanced and very masterfully put together. Another Ellena family masterpiece that deserves a bit more praise.

Probably more feminine to my nose than masculine, I could definitely see some men pulling it off. Progression was great and it really lasted on my skin.

Would I see this as a good rose scent? Frankly, no. It's a rose and pepper scent, so taking it for that I would be quite pleased with it.

HUEbris
HUEbris

This one is totally different with SL's LFB.
LFB is sweet, musky, heavy, feminine.
RP is minimalistic, vetiver, light, epicene.

icekat
icekat

I am always interested in new and unusual scents especially when it comes to my favorite queen of the flowers, the rose. In Rose Poivre, the rose is mixed with the vegetable cocktail and sprinkled with spices. Unfortunately, this is not a match made in heaven. The combination is awkward and unpleasant.

The scent opens with a gentle scent of a rose mixed with strong vegetable, and, in particular, tomato juices. The spices are a central part of this scent – pepper, coriander, and I also smell cumin with its distinct strong savory side. The quality of the scent is nice. The scent smells natural and gentle. And if smelled vegetable side of this scent on its own, I would probably like it. But this cumin – rose – tomato combo is just not something that mix well together.

I wore my sample multiple times trying to acquire taste for this composition. But definitely not my thing. I’ll give it 6/10 – mostly for the unique and original composition…

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

تخيل نفسك في حديقة محاطه بالورود (الروز) وانت هائم بما تفكر!! واغصان الشجر تتراقص بهدوء مع حركة الهوا واذا بنسمات الهواء اللطيفه تهب عليك حاملة معها رائحة ماحولك من رائحة للضرة اوراق الشجر الباردة الممزوجه بعبير الروز الراائع.
هذا ما شعرت به في رحلتي مع عبير هذا العطر Rose Poivree من The Different Company هو مخصص للنساء ولكن اجده مناسبا ايضا للرجال لان نوتة الروز ليست حادة (بارزة) هنا وانما مزجت يعناية مع الكزبرة والتوابل ممثلة بالفلفل الوردي والاسود ممع يجعل عبير العطر اقرب مايكون الى باقة الوورد رائحة الزروز هنا هائدة وكانك تمسك الورد بيدك وتشمه ما اعطى هذا الاحساس هو تواجد الكزبره التي اعطت رائحة الخضرة فالكزبرة هي سيدة الموقف وستعطيك شعور بالراحه والاسترخاء! وبمشاركة لطيفة من التوابل ومشاركة دافئة لعبير الروز ربما يكون هناك مشاركة لعبير civet (المسكي !) ولكن لم يسبق ان اطلعت عليه حتى استطيع انك احكم؛
لمحبي وعشاق شم باقات الووووورد ! والى اولئك الحالمين هذا العطر مناسب لهم ولكن ليس في هذه الايام فستشعر بالبروده اكثر، الربيع والخريف والصيف هو وقت هذا العطر
ثبات العطر اكثر 10 ساعات
فوحانه لم يختبر جيد ولكن اتوقع انه جيد
عبير العطر وتميزه 7/10
الانف خلف هذا العطر Jean-Claude Ellena
اعتقد انه سعره مبالغ لاني للامانة لم اجده عطر مميز بدرجة كبيرة هو عطر رائع وحتما سيعجب الكثير وربما سيجدة الغير مميزا حسب اطلاعك ... وبحثك.
ملاحظة رائحة الزيت منفرده قد تكون محببه ابدا ولكن هنا لن تشعر بها وحال حال الكثير من الزيوت التي اذا امزجت اصبحت من رائحته وهي منفرده
خالص التحية والتقدير.
لاتنس ذكر الله.

AZ
AZ

I love the dark rose style. I think even men could use this perfum because it also muscluine and flowery which is something that you dont find in any other perfums. Highly recomended it even if you are a man.

Carnation
Carnation

Roses, pepper and celery(?)
This is a nice rose that asserts itself upfront with a peppery opening, mellowing down a bit after 15 minutes but still maintains it's spicy directness. There's something secure about being in it's company. After 30 minutes I am getting a herbaceous note like celery, which makes this perfume more peculiar. Interesting creation.

antfarm
antfarm

All the notes in this perfume blend together seamlessly into the equivalent of a beautiful, classy oil painting that my nose would hang up in its living room to show off its good taste (if such a thing were possible).

It is mostly a dry and sophisticated rose with a slight hint of cumin that only really hits you for a millisecond right when you are finished inhaling. Aside from that, not really animalic on me. Like a dress falling off of one shoulder, it hints at sexuality; Rose Poivree doesn't flaunt, it suggests.

BillyC28
BillyC28

This is one of my favorite fragrances in the world, truly awesome. I went to Barney's to buy Sa Majestie la Rose and picked this up to try. First spray was AMAZING, a burst Indian spices (coriander, cumin?) and dries down nicely, lasts a while. I love heavy Indian spices so was seduced completely by this. They were out of the small bottles tho, so wasn't in the budget : (.

This must be the BEST masculine rose ever, and it is really spicey and dry. It actually doesn't read as "rose" to my nose, it definetely isn't a pure one. More like undercurrents beneath all the spices. LOVE THIS!

Cereza
Cereza

Well this is a weird rose. For me the opening is rose and pink pepper, the rose together with the spices makes this dry and weirdly green, there is also an almost fecal undertone which might be from civet, but I am not 100% sure. At this point the scent is rather unique on me, but I cannot say that I enjoy it completely.

When at the opening the scent was at least unique, then in regret I must say that 15 minutes in, the scent gets rather boring on me, the rose is overpowered by pink pepper and the faint resemblance of civet has been drowned in pink pepper and coriander making this, I won't be afraid to say it - an extremely watered down version of some old civet + rose power-bombs.

The base is rather nice - warm and spicy, but nothing that justifies the huge price tag.

All in all - this is a nice scent, nothing particularly unique, has a great opening though, but in the end you will be stuck with a soft and spicy rose which you can get in many other cheaper fragrances.

Albin
Albin

This is like a dream of dried roses. Really beautiful.

MarkT
MarkT

The notes, as listed, are all there. In typical Jean-Claude Ellena fashion each note occupies its own epicycle in a divine celestial dance. The joy in this scent is as much in the space between the notes and their constant and graceful passage in relation to each other. The lodestar of this fragrance is a clean soft rose around which orbit coriander, black and bink pepper each in turn occluding and being occluded by the rose and each other. Orbiting at a distance are the civet and vetiver, observable not in eclipse but in the faint gravitational tug upon the central planets of this stellar olfactory system. While in no way resembling Terre de Hermes in terms of scent, it is clearly a composition that shares both an aesthetic and a set of physical laws.
I am not aware of any tradition of rivalry or dueling artistic commentary among noses, but Rose Poivree seems very much a response to Declaration d'Un Soir. Mathilde Laurent took Mr. Ellena's contribution to Cartier's portfolio and truly one upped the master by adopting his methodology and style and rebuilding a simplified fragrance around a rose note with caraway and cardamom. Roce Poivree is very much a conclusive response- this is a masterpiece of minimalist spiced rose, this is the Ellena Rose.

jubal
jubal

LOVE this fragrance! I get nothing skanky in it, just deep dark earthy roses sprinkled with freshly ground pepper, edged by a gauze of civet that rounds all the edges without offending in the slightest.

I realize that isn't what some find in this so it is definitely one that shouldn't be a blind buy but also should not be passed by. If it works for you it will be at the top of your list, if it doesn't, well I'm just sorry you don't smell what I smell in this.

DH took one sniff of sample and said BUY IT! I'm so glad I did.

pom
pom

Smell like Chinese pharmacy.

Shanester66
Shanester66

Not diggin this juice at all. On my skin it smells like something Mrs Crabtree would where. Old lady in a bottle...your mileage may differ. I'll pass on this one thanks. Cheers.

Jordanose
Jordanose

I think this can be pulled off by a guy.

I think this because I'm a guy. and I think I pull this off.

There's something masculine in here. Maybe it's the texture of the notes. Somewhat scratchy and sharp.

The fragrance starts of with a fresh blast. The overall impact is of the whole rose bush. Not just the flowers. The leaves, the thorns and importnantly some soil with a tough of fertalizer.

The fertalizer. The civet. The dirty part. It's really not that big. It's just in the backround, but it sticks out on some people. On me, it lays down patiently on the outskirts of the fragrance. Giving just a hint to the floral tones. The cumin yes, it kind of adds a bit to the rose facets. The part of the rose that is reminiscent of an old cork off a bottle of red wine. This part is much more evident with short sniffs. sniff sniff.

But there's also a really generic clean part. I'm guessing this is post reformulation since it was bought a couple months ago. The scent of chamomile tea with Motel shampoo. This part is much more evident when you sniff deeply. Sniiiiiiiihhhhfff.

For me, this is what makes this fragrance wearable. The balance of the dirty, with just a touch of clean.

If you like rose bushes in real life, but don't really like rose perfumes- Check it out.

lene002
lene002

I like the note that I got in initial sniff. I got very dewy rose in the morning after rain. But suddenly I was slapped with cumin and civet, like a stale dog piss. How I wish the dewy rose smell until the end

valarian
valarian

Upon first sniff I get a beautiful grungy Jasmine and it then dives down into a heavy red rose sprinkled with pepper; underneath the peppery rose lies the coriander and vetiver base giving it good contrast. If this were a person, Kate Moss would come to mind!

I thought the review likening this to the evil twin of Lyric Woman which happens to be one of my favourites was spot on, I can certainly see the distorted likeness!

I'm also going to try Yardley's English Rose to compare like for like.

I've decided I like this more during dry down it becomes much softer and sweetens just a touch.

Overall a really nice perfume.

I smell no civet in ROSE POIVREE, but a huge dose of cumin. My references for civet are JOY and FIRST; my references for cumin, well, the kitchen! Perhaps synthetic civet has a cuminesque cast? Or maybe civet + coriander reacts to produce a cumin facsimile? Hmmm...

It's also possible that the names have been confused, and there really is plain old cumin in this composition. Anyway, cumin is never subtle—whether in perfumery or cuisine—and I find the quasi-cumin note so marked in the opening of this composition that it somewhat mangles the rose. Unfortunately, as the cumin fades to the point of being tolerable, the rose pretty much dies out. (Death by cumin?)

Well, this is not something that I have any real desire to smell like, and there's no dearth of rose perfumes out there, so I can safely move on...

IlDottoreFaustus

My perfumer friend described this scent as "a fresh rose bud pissed by a male dog." Somehow I like this description: wild, sensual, animalic, dark and earthy, yet a fresh rose (I think the récipe of rose here is quite similar to the one in Le Labo Rose 31) involved. Like any other comments and critics, it's a really skin scent.
For me, it's not only a skin scent, it's almost my natural odor. I like this piece very well, but if someone asked about the proper occasion to wear it on, I might answer with blushing: fairly suitable for an affair. :P

Second review after re-smelling:
So this is made by Monsieur Ellena! Well, no surprise, he's genius!
Rose Poivrèe is a very wild type of rose, very grown up and running into fields, deep, intense and taken together with stem and spikes!
It must be pepper that makes that effect, because Rose Poivrèe smells EXACTLY like Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection, another masterpiece rose!
In my previous review I said it smells close to Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie.
I think the concept is more or less the same: rose, pepper, animal note.
You need to like rose to wear this, I mean love rose in a deep, no compromise way, because this is no rosewater (even if rosewater is also very appealing to me). Most of all you need to like a rose drenched in warm smelling pepper and spices.
It's an intensely attractine fragrance for me, but as same as Eau de Protection it doesn't pull crowds around you. Too much of a sophisticated smell!
I would see a refined, artistic lady wandering in museums and old libraries, dressed in perfect style, with an apparent cold attitude, but totally warm and wild at heart!
The sillage is average, it projects finely but not invadently and lasting power is very good.
Like Rossy de Palma it goes on steaming for hours in a subtle way, closer and closer to skin but always present and slightly changing to different nuances.
A beauty for sure, maybe not for all noses.

nancyjh
nancyjh

I bought a sample of this from Lucky Scent after I read about it in the NY Times style section. I get rose to start but about 20 minutes later I'm looking around for my bottle of Aromatics Elixir...only I don't have any! I've never experienced another scent so similar to the AE and it must be the civet that attracts me down this fragrance path.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

I had a decant, and had to pass it on... although I am a die hard rose fan, and I wanted this one for the longest time, it was unwearable to me. I don't know if I had the pre or after reformulation version; but it was strong, extremely dry , green, peppery, without any hint of sweetness. It actually smelled like red and green peppers than like rose; the rose in it seemed too crisp to stand out, mixing its scent with the predominant pepper scent, and loosing the femininity to a rather masculine approach of what a rose should be; on a positive note, it was stronger than other scents I tried from The Different Company, and very long lasting. Well, I guess in the end it's a matter of skin chemistry; but for how expensive this niche is, I surely expected to like it more.

Gillie
Gillie

Pre-reformulated version:

In theory the idea of combining rose and pepper really appeals to me. The opulent round rose fragrance would be made edgy and sharp by a sprinkling of pepper.

I want to say that what hit me in the nose at first spritz was a whiff of strong and bracing pepper. Or the driest wave of coriander. I kept sniffing the target on my wrist as it radiated the most concentrated aroma. I simply couldn't believe my nose. Because what I smelled was: unwashed body-- B.O.-- Dirty laundry--no, to be precise, dirty gym gear.

My husband got my wrist thrust under his nose again--and he diplomatically said: "I do smell something floral..."

The animalic blast receded after quite some time, leaving a very interesting rose. It was the intense smell of a rose after a week of sitting in a vase on your table. The petals are heavy and dropping, and there is that woody, weepy smell when a rose is wilting.

I can appreciate this perfume-the concept is creative and makes perfect sense. But I don't think I could wear it.

oshunshawo
oshunshawo

Based on the notes I obtained a sample in search of an alternative to my other rose fragrance. However on my skin it smells like freshly ground pepper with a hint of roses past their prime.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Oh niches... Sometimes very overrated & hyped. "Rose Poivree" smells very much like YARDLEY "English Rose". I kid you not!

Only Yardley's rose is sharper. Not 100% identical, but yet still "almost like this". A big old-fashioned classic Bulgarian rose. A deep red rose in full bloom. Saprklingly vibrant, & with an fantastic strength, sillage & staying-power. The old-fashioned from the 1800-century. Note: Remeber to use it with a very light hand. A bottle of Yardley's rose will last you ages.

YARDLEY "English Rose" is $10-15 for 100ml edt. "Rose Poivree" is $233 for 90ml. Well, the choice is yours to make - which one will you choose! ;)

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

It's a Big Sister of many rose fragrances. It's not a girl like La Rose Fleurette whose pink rose whispers on a cloud of heliotrope and light touch of honey. This rose is spicy in every meaning of a word, it's a little bit dirty, in every meaning of its word. It's not a girl, it's a woman of the world, quite experienced and ready for more experiences!

Intoxicating slightly bitter rose, lightly breathing in the air. It could be perfect just like this, but the whiffs of pepper make this rose more original. They bring the impression of worldly originality. And when the slightly sexy animalistic smell comes in, there is already no doubt about the nature of experiences of the Rose's Big Sis!

Too bad it didn't stay long with me. Apparently, my skin just eats up this scent, so I can brag that I can eat Big Sis for breakfast!

Ah, and I do know that red roses rarely smell, but this rose is red. I can see it.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

I really can't decide whether I love it or hate it.It smells like roast with lot of ground cumin and pepper.I think it's wild,only a self confident person could wear this!

Kterhark
Kterhark

My maternal Grandmother owned a small, black lacquered box that was lined inside with dark, red velvet. It's where she kept her jewelry, prized possessions, ... and favorite dirty jokes.

When she passed away this black box went to my mother,and every time I"m home I like to go through it to bring back memories. This box has a very distinct smell, and Rose Poivre reminds me of that smell.

It's a musky, spicy rose smell that I love to sniff when I'm sitting there reading the joke on 'Sister Mary peddles 'Donkey' to raise money for church'. (Noun replaced for decency's sake).

How funny to discover my Gma had a naughty sense of humor. This scent, too, has a naughty sense of humor. You think it's sweet with 'rose' in the name, but then you come to the punch line.

The pink pepper/coriander duo is also in my beloved Bois D'armenie, but here vetiver and civet replace incense and guaic wood, making it edgy and commanding versus smooth and serene. Vetiver, unfortunately, is a note I can't wear very well, and keeps this from getting a pass from me.

But I'm sure my Gma would have loved this.

yvashche
yvashche

Initially, this appealed to me because I'm obsessed with good rose scents and love pepper. But after using a small bottle several times, the pepper just goes away and the rose becomes different. It is not as good on the drydown as on first spray and definitely not worth its price.

Uh! Here comes the beast! This is very animalic since the beginning and IMO a very well done one. The quality of ingredients seems very high. It is peppery and I like that part. The rest is predominantly rose on a dirty animalic background. It smells vaguely like Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie, but warmer and less distant. It reminds me a lot of old traditional perfumery renewed, because it's a very unusual type of raw ingredients compared to new releases. It could have been a signature scent for a wild eccentric grand-mother!

Maugli
Maugli

quite unusual - the rose note with such a background is just delicios.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

Too peppery by far ,the rose was there for a brief moment. I get the impression the cheapest ingredients are predominant . It's not worth the price tag.

Jasper
Jasper

Rose Poivree was the first from TDC I'd tried. I'm impressed by the quality of its ingredient. The rose you get from it, is the pure and fresh. Dark read roses dampen with dew. It smelled luxurious and somehow relaxing. I love to inhale deeply and can't get enough of it. If you like rose, this is a must try. If you don't like rose, it still worth trying. It is so different from others rose inspired scents in the market.

Rose Poivree by The Different Company 3.57 out of 5 based on 152 ratings and 38 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about The Different Company Rose Poivree fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about The Different Company Rose Poivree, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rose Poivree by The Different Company. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rose Poivree by The Different Company represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.