Designers » T-Z » Chypre Floral « Groups

Sublime Balkiss The Different Company for women

Sublime Balkiss The Different Company for women
dislike

ozonic

Sublime Balkiss is a feminine chypre-floral perfume introduced in 2008. It was created by Celine Ellena, and composed it of Italian bergamot, black currant bud and leaves, forest fruit and blueberry. A heart is comprised of Bulgarian rose, Egyptian violet leaves, lilac and lily of the valley, while base notes add patchouli and leather. The perfume is available as 50 and 90 ml EDT, in five different leather cases, in red, brown, black, Bordeaux and pink.

Bergamot violet leaves

Pure Turquoise

Sublime Balkiss Fragrance Reviews

Raaven
Raaven

So I can see how this might be considered a chypre, as it reminds me of a very muted and tamed version of vintage Paloma Picaso after the dry down, the way Paloma smelled on my skin & clothes after a night of clubing, ahhh, good times! Needles to say, I really like this scent.
Update: while this scent does emulate some of the classic notes of a chypre, it doesn't have the projection or the life span of a chypre, which I would say gives it a modern twist. So if you liked Paloma back in the day, you may enjoy this Much softer & mellow scent. I enjoyed sampling it!

tatonnement
tatonnement

I had high expectations due to the note combination. It let me down. Delicious opening of a creamy, jammy black currant - fresh with leaves intact, sharp and prominent- but VERY fleeting. Literally, the best note of the fragrance disappears within minutes. White florals start to make their way into the forefront which gives this frag a fresh vibe but starts to turn sour and begins to disappear into a cloying musk. Something about this frag doesn't quite "stick". The ONLY thing that decides to stick around is the very, very SOAPY drydown. I mean this is 100% irish spring to me (the soap). ZERO PATCHOULI.

It's actually pleasant if you want to smell like lathered soap through-out the day but it's very synthetic and makes my nose itch. I can see this smelling great on a man for it has more of a masculine vibe despite the florals. Longevity was impressive. Sillage- scent stayed close to the skin but like someone who just freshly showered, definitely noticeable if they'd walk by. Worth the pricetag? No, but there are some good deals on ebay with this one. Or you can hit up the dollar store and get a bar of irish spring soap for under $2 ;)

Kmam
Kmam

I actually really like this, although I'd agree with the other reviews stating it's hardly a chypre.

It opens green and dry with quite a lot of citrus. A few minutes in it, gets really soapy on me (and it's here where I think it could definitely work well on a man). It dries down a wee bit earthier with just a touch of sweetness. Like other reviews, I get NO leather at all and scarcely any patchouli.

I think I'll put my sample away for summer because it feels like it would be fabulous in hot weather.

becuille
becuille

The whole time I was wearing this, I had a strange feeling of not disliking what I was smelling but not actually enjoying the perfume either. I think the problem is with the blending.

I appreciate quite a few of the modern chypres and think it's great to see such an iconic and beautiful genre of perfume get an update and find new fans. But, a lot of the frags calling themselves chypres nowadays are not. They add some patchouli or oakmoss to their list of notes, stick a fruit on the top and claim the title of chypre. This is one of those. For me, a true chypre is as much about the composition as the ingredients. Chypres are a world of contradictions in one whiff. They're cold and warm, tough and soft, feminine and masculine, all at once. To achieve that requires careful consideration and masterful blending, not just using a specified list of notes.

Sublime Balkiss, to me, is one of those that uses the right notes, but doesn't achieve chypre status in any other way. I think that's why I could never quite enjoy it.

It opens with a burst of black currant. It's an almost ripe, jammy black currant. Very nice.

Then it switches to rose. Then it switches to lily of the valley.

There's no transition period. This doesn't seem to gradually dry down so much as aggressively go from one note to another. The changes are very abrupt.

Each stage is nice in its own right, but the way it switches is just too jarring for me.

Strangely, the changes stop with the heart notes. I don't get a single hint of patchouli at all, or any leather.

This has the potential to be something I could love, but right now, it's too disjointed for me.

LNelly
LNelly

I think I am one of the unfortunate who cannot wear black currant. I got cat pee. Then hay and grass. Then more cat pee. I wanted to see the beauty in it but had to get it off, STAT!

polka
polka

Agree with the reviewer below; Sublime Balkiss opens with a handful of blackberries, not quite ripe yet, smashed together with their leaves. I also get light, musky-aquatic note in the background. It's green, it's a bit tart and rather on the cool side - just like a decent, modern chypre should be.

However, it soon gets sweeter with some plain, sugary sweetness and that's where the frag starts sitting on the fence, trying to make up its mind between fresh and sweet. And that's why I am not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the opening.

The drydown reminds me a lot of "Delice" by Oriflame, a girly frag that I used to use about 16 years ago. My perfume taste changed dramatically over these years, and Sublime Balkiss is not right up my alley nowadays.

Lana148
Lana148

The opening of Sublime Balkiss reminded me of Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince, simply because there is bunch of Black currants on the beginning. I was in haven for a few minutes because Sublime Balkiss smelled even better to me. So delicate, deliciously juicy and green! Loved that part, unfortunately it didn't last. The fragrance settled to aquatic rosy-green scent. You can also pick lily-of-the-valley and lilac. Actually didn't smell any patchouli here and I am very sensitive to it.

Overall, a bit sleepy fragrance (except for the few moments at the beginning). Feminine and proper, watery floral with a touch of green.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

I don't really know how to describe this scent . . .it reminds me of when I am in the woods and take different unknown leaves, crush them between my fingers and smell the fragrance of fresh green sweetness. It has a wild vibrance. My appreciation of Sublime Balkiss grew the longer I wore it, and it is not like anything else that I have experienced. The drydown has a soapy clean facet that makes you feel refreshed even after hours. The sillage is good and it lasts all day on my skin.

polly golightly
polly golightly

ecco un profumo molto diverso dal solito. e infatti ho qualche difficoltà a descriverlo. ci sono i frutti di bosco, predominanti, ma assai lontani dai soliti accordi alla frutta caramellata. ci sono le foglie di violetta e il mughetto. c'è la rosa e il cacao, che spuntano dopo parecchie ore. e nel tempo spunta pure il patchouli. anche se è un profumo fruttato e floreale, è per me molto gradevole, perchè mantiene sempre un sentore di erba appena tagliata così verde che pare riassumere tutto il senso della primavera.

evacecilias
evacecilias

Starts green , green , green and oh so fresh.
The violet leaves is gorgeous and then it blends with lilac and lily of the valley. The rose has to stand back in this on.
There is a little touch of soap in this , lather type soap like my fathers shaving foam as a little girl. It doesn't annoy me but calms me.
It morphs into a green berry scent , not juicy - but tart green ones.
The cocoa note is there in the dry down , but not very prominent.
At the early stage, it gets me a reminding Velvet forest wood by Disq2,
another very well done fresh violet leaf perfume !
This is very much spring in a bottle, with all the greens from nature securely tossed in a pretty bottle to be kept and once in a while be opened to remember what spring is all about.....
Lovely !

hadassa
hadassa

Like father, like daughter. You can really smell that it's an Ellena creation, good or bad, but it just is.

I am not a fan of JCE, although I agree that he's a master and although I do like minimalist compositions (minimalist a la Kurkdjian to be exact: a different take on minimalism, but it's another story).

SUBLIME BALKISS is an anorexic chypre, just like some of Celine's father's perfumes are anorexic woody florals.

It's still a positive review, by the way. I quite like this perfume, there's something very appealing about it.

The opening is just glorious: juicy citruses and tartly sweet black currant berries (like in my beloved L'Ombre Dans L'Eau), after that the freshness of lilac and the soft powderiness of violet leaves, and then, yeah, ISO-E Super. I like its juniper-y woody smell, but only in thicker, denser compositions, in JHaG line, for example.

SUBLIME BALKISS falls a bit flat on my skin. I'm not in love, although overall it's just right down my alley. I would like to receive it in a swap, but would not buy it.

For my black currant fix I have L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, which is much cheaper and unmistakably better.
For aquatic floweriness I would choose some Heeley, his fragrances all smell very natural.

However, I see how people can fall in love with this one. If you like JCE's signature style and/or Perles de Lalique, try it, you might fall for it.

antfarm
antfarm

Sublime Balkiss was all heather, bergamot, and lillies on me. None of the notes I was hoping for (cacao, lilac, or violet leaves) made an appearance.

On my skin, it is a very potent soapy citrus scent that lasts a long time. Maybe a good recommendation for someone who wants to smell like they just lathered up in the shower all day.

I find it likeable but I feel let down because all the notes I was excited to smell were nowhere to be found.

The Different Company SUBLIME BALKISS embodies the quality described by marketers and, hence, perfumistas as "radiance". This is a very, very "radiant" composition, which means, as jtd has astutely observed in one of his reviews, that it packs a big fat punch of iso-E-super. It's truly nose-clearingly strong in this case and makes the listed notes of the composition difficult to identify--aside from violet leaf, which is also in abundance.

I rather like this creation, despite my lack of enthusiasm for "radiance" in some other very popular fragrances, including Lalique ENCRE NOIRE and Hermès TERRE D'HERMES. I am confident that anyone who likes either or both of those compositions--or Escentric Molecules MOLECULE 01--would also like SUBLIME BALKISS.

Is this a chypre? In a word: no. I barely smell any patchouli, the only candidate for a chypre-qualifying note listed. To me, SUBLIME BALKISS is an aromatic radiance bomb strong enough to clear my sinuses. Since it has the same effect, albeit a slightly different scent, this creation reminds me, believe it or not, of those inhalants which people use when they are suffering from a cold so severe that they can hardly breathe.

Would I buy a bottle of this perfume? No, I would not. It may be that I am hypersensitive to the radiance-making components, which is why I smell hardly anything else. I'm guessing that the wide range of reviews of SUBLIME BALKISS, from love to total dismissal, has something to do with whether people are more or less sensitive to iso-E-super.

kl99
kl99

And the different company creates Paloma Picasso.
And Parfum d'Elle as drydown.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

There is just way too much going on here- the notes are crashing into one another. I think Ms. Ellena meant them to weave in and out around one another but that is not the effect one gets. The notes seem to be fighting for dominance in the drydown and I am less and less pleased the longer this fragrance is on my skin. Topnotes were clean and fresh and rather unique so I expected more in the middle notes and drydown. Not to be.

I find this fragrance very disappointing. I don't get chocolate, but rather the smell of a raw cacao pod, which is green and musky at the same time with a sweetness that only goes away when you bite into the raw cacao bean. These beans were definitely not bitten by anyone.

The whole fragrance becomes overbearingly sweet, the lilac, black currant and rose overwhelming and not in a pleasant way. The green notes are in the background but they do not balance- they do not fit and smell rather nauseating fighting with the sweet notes.

This is like a jigsaw puzzle where someone tried to force the pieces to fit, but they do not. I really wish Ms. Ellena had let her father smell this stonking mess before it went to market. I feel sure he would have told her to take out a number of elements. This one had promise, but it's very overdone. If I didn't know better I would think it was a celebrity fragrance, except that the ingredients are too high quality.

rosarossa
rosarossa

Nice perfum but too expensive! Longevity and projection not to justify the cost. Not so original, not sure but I feel I have already smell this scent before. Probably in another life?!
Nooooo, it reminds me some old perfumes of the seventyes. That's my opinion....

daniela3
daniela3

Difficult to collocate: this frag is a 'gipsy' therefore it is so difficult to house. Opening a bit zesty with grapefruit traces not declared in the above pyramide and probably not existing also, just a trick of my delirating nose... so elegant in any case - but in a 'new' way as classicity is bypassed here, as the same for the 3 phases. Light, luminous but 'present'. There is a touch of the 'past' in any case as it reminds me some old glories that if not completely disappeared difficult to recognize (being them so changed) any more ('Calandre'?, 'Diorella'?, and some others.)

Spring and summer are probably the best time to wear it.

Lovely!

violetta1975
violetta1975

It reminds me of Pleasures by Estee Laurent, I find it very similar but somehow much softer. I find it irresistable! :)

cryptic
cryptic

The Different Company describes Sublime Balkiss as a modern chypre, which is ridiculous. Adding a dash of clean, completely innocuous patchouli does not a chypre make. Nonetheless, SB is a wonderful fruity floral with the transparent, ethereal quality that seems to distinguish an Ellena fragrance.

The top notes are a mixture of berries and bergamot. Without the tartness of the bergamot, the blueberries in particular might be cloying, but the two in combination are effervescent and lovely.

The floral heart notes of lilac, rose and lily of the valley are balanced by the green, herbal note of the violet leaves. If there's a leather note in the base, it's too subtle for my nose. The patchouli is bright and gentle, and therefore doesn't weigh down this delicate fragrance. Overall, SB has an evanescent, otherworldly quality, and even though it fails utterly as a chypre, it is certainly a thing of beauty.

Spido
Spido

The first time I tested it, I liked it. It smelled of cassia and Lilly og the valley. The second time I found the cassia to be too strong and a soapyness appeared. The third time the cassia made me start to dislike it. Too bad, I love the idea of it, but the cassia gets in the way of any other notes on me.

seireake
seireake

The fragrance surprices me - I think it smells different according to the mood I'm in..... Always in a positive way of course

Chibichaca
Chibichaca

To me it is elegant, expensive, classy. I get the leather note a lot.

Goes on 100% Christmas: pine needles and crisp, bright clear orange. It's like peeling an orange on Christmas day. As it dries, a lovely gentle rose emerges and blends perfectly with the bright notes. Lovely.

9154mf
9154mf

I find this to be a pleasant fruity-green herbal scent, it is zesty-fresh from the bergamot and the leather and patchouli are very soft. It almost qualifies as a unisex scent to me. Overall though it's not the type of scent I wear so I wouldn't buy a full bottle.

Sublime Balkiss has brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy. I applied this to my wrist, and the moment I inhaled, I was transported back to when I was 13 and saying goodbye to the first boy I ever loved.

It was a strange occurrence that took a while for me to figure out. Back then I wore a deoderant called Moon Grass by a brand, Impulse. It broke my heart when they discontinued it because I no longer had a scent to remember him by. Seven years on, I've remembered him once again.

Sublime Balkiss is green and refreshing, with a subtle fizzyness. The berries are wonderful and very unique, as is the herbaceously green quality of the scent as it settles on the skin.

This is a somewhat odd fruity scent, almost alien in nature. I'm quite excited for Spring and Summer which will allow me to test this fragrance in a different environment.

While fruity, earthy and slightly floral, Sublime Balkiss gives me a clean sensation. A sense of purity and happiness.

As this fragrance dries down, lily of the valley and wet, earthy patchouli becomes more prominent. Like the other reviewers here, I unfortunately didn't sense the leather note.

I agree strongly with Mellybee who stated, although "Sublime Balkiss is classified as a chypre - it is more of an aquatic floral". It indeed has a slight watery feel that is very obvious to my nose.

The lasting power and sillage are very good and I'm actually very impressed with Celine Ellena's brand and composition. I'm eager to test more from The Different Company in the future.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

Hmm it reminds Tann Rokka Kisu but in the lighter version.At first you smell something lemony and after settles down herbally,more green.

What a scent! Very interesting! I sprayed from tester and was immediately hooked! It's not my usual type of scent. I actually don't feel it as pretty, floral, intense, feminine and the alikes. It's not elegant in a classical way. I would say that it is a "sophisticate and complex run in woods". It smells very unisex. I didn't notice it was a chypre before reading here. It smells like raw fresh wood (living trees) and it has a vague smell of vegetable humid thick leaves and some flower. It reminds me a bit of enchanting Dyptique L'Ombre dans L'eau, but not as much nostalgic and dark. It is like the sunny side of the dark pond in the forest.
Extremely true to its nature in every stage, very longlasting and clinging to fabrics, I agree it's a chamaleon and phantom scent. It's intriguing and could be suitable for man or woman in the same way.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I've been trying to wrap my head around this one... Do I like it? Yes.

What is it similar to? Kurkdjian's Lumierre Noir pour femme, another floral chypre with a patchouli/rose accord.

Does it last? mid-range, but it's a peek-a-boo fragrance- the scent comes and goes throughout the day.

Is it interesting? This is where i get stuck. I do like hte opening with the blueberry and forest berry combo, it isn't a sweet, juicy fruit of an opening, but more like the bark of the fruit tree. Nice. Dry down is dry, tart and subtle.

Edit: I came back to this seven months later, and it is projecting more on me in the warmer, dryer climate. Longevity is better, too. I would entertain a decant at this point, but probably not a full bottle. I still hold the opinion that this might turn forgettable after a while. The initial burst of enthusiasm is not followed up by much that is substantial.

Dixie
Dixie

A citrus with some depth. This isn't a super sweet fragrance and the patch isn't overwhelming but blends well.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

I agree with Mellybee, this does not have the standard characteristics of a chypre floral, and yes, thankfully, the patchouli does not overwhelm. This is a refreshing, sparkling fragrance well-suited to summer days and spending time in the sun. The middle notes of lilac, lily of the valley and leaves are a joyous combination with the berry notes. making this a sweet, soft scent and one that seems to last all day without overwhelming you or those around you.

mellybee
mellybee

I have to admit that I'm dying for chypre perfumes so it was an absolutely must-try for me. Especially as The Different Company describes Sublime Balkiss as a chypre, but a modern chypre, which uses two types of patchouli instead of oakmoss.

Those who, like me, might be scared by the patchouli in the description of Sublime Balkiss, fear not; the accord is very soft.
I am also unable to smell the leather here.

So, what one really get? I'm pretty sure that it opens on a sweet elderflower note even though it is not mentioned amongst the notes. The elderflower is combined with soft creamy flowers.

Although Sublime Balkiss is classified as a chypre I think of it as an aquatic floral - it took me quite a while to figure it out -, it permanently makes me think of a summer day near the sea lounging in the sun, sipping icecold teas and doing nothing…

However, for either category I find it light as opposed to heavy and very easy to wear, it works beautifully as a spring or summer-time fragrance.

A fragrance I hope never be without.

Gemini
Gemini

Perfect summer fragrance. Fresh and elegant. The best citrus-lime parfum i've ever known. I want it!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about The Different Company Sublime Balkiss fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about The Different Company Sublime Balkiss, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.