Designers » T-Z » Chypre Floral « Groups

Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women

Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women
dislike

Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures Theo Fennell Scent Theo Fennell for women Pictures

Theo Fennell Scent - like his jewelery - is exquisite, stylish and opulent. A scent of moonlight, a scent of lust, a scent of dreams. Bold, evocative, sexy and seductive this classic Chypre–Oriental is a true Scent for a Woman. Theo Fennell Scent Silver Collection encapsulates this opulence with true British craftsmanship to create a collection of enduring style.

Theo Fennell Scent evokes Theo’s memories of clandestine times shared with his father on stolen visits to Paris’s most chic night club. It was these evenings, as a young boy, spent surrounded by the magical atmosphere of humorous decadence which inspired the future designer. Theo remembers being left, surrounded by rows of deliciously scented fur coats, watching their owners touching up their make up, giggling, gossiping and adjusting their stockings. These evenings were the inspiration for Theo Fennell Scent.

The oriental chypre composition opens with rich spicy flowers: lily, rose and orchid enhanced with saffron and cardamom. Jasmine, violet and orange blossom bloom in its heart. Complex base notes, combined of patchouli, Tonka bean, incense, benzoin and sandalwood, provide warm and luxury expression.

The fragrance is available in EDP 75ml, EDT 75ml, perfume extract (30%) in the luxury bottle with silver sleeve, body cream 200ml, bath oil 75ml, dusting scented powder 100ml. All products except EDT are also available in the luxury bottles with silver elements (sleeves or caps). Theo Fennell Scent was launched in 2006.

Lily Orchid Saffron Rose Cardamom

Caraway Orange Blossom Cinnamon Jasmine

Labdanum Sandalwood Tonka Bean Patchouli Benzoin

Todd Oldham
Salome

Theo Fennell Scent Fragrance Reviews

corkscrewcurly
corkscrewcurly

Firstly, there is NO fennel in this fragrance. Theo Fennell is a jeweller and he's behind it - check out the brand website and see the price of the jewellery he designs. Fortunately, this fragrance only smells expensive and - for its quality - it's a bargain.

This is a review for the EDT.

My goodness, this is GOOD.

It reminds me of some of my favourites from the 80s: Fendi Fendi, YSL Opium and Lancome's Magie Noire. More specifically, it reminds me of how I REMEMBER them smelling.

On first application, there is an initial but - thankfully - transient BO taint. This disappears completely within five minutes, leaving a gorgeous sexy fragrance behind. I am not great at analysing notes and this is beautifully blended. It makes an entrance and leaves an impression - definitely not for the shy and retiring.

I don't stick age labels on perfumes - wear what you like - but I don't think a teenager could pull this off; given the current fruitchouli fashion, I suspect they wouldn't want to either.

Easily a unisex fragrance; this would smell great on a man, I think.

I am going to buy the EDP. I can't begin to imagine how intense that must be, given the sillage of this. No idea about longevity yet, but I suspect I won't need to reapply this frequently.

Although I bought this without first testing it, it is NOT a "safe" blind buy and - from other reviews below - it seems that I am lucky that it suits my skin chemistry.

shushkin
shushkin

I can see why there are those fearful of the BO factor in this but I must just be lucky as it really works. I can immediately see the similarity with Papillons Salome. I have Ungaros Diva and that is way stronger and more harsh that this. Not a bad dupe for Salome but perhaps more cumin and lily in this. The cumin smells like cumin not something unpleasant. I do detect lots of saffron and lily in the opening. It is a touch animalic but first and foremost I find it spicey and aromatic. Ive got the edt and its pretty potent so try it before going for the edp or parfum. A lovely fragrance for a cool weather day. Its smells so high end. I might not even bother with purchasing P Salome. Im wearing it for casual wear. Moderate sillage and good longevity.

Jola 72
Jola 72

Replacement for this could be White Luminous Gold MK I tested it today and was immadiately remined about Scent,not so much complete,but very simmilar to Scent especially in the dry down.Scent is my winter signature and I find it very unik scent ,but it is barrely too heavy in summer WLG would be more funky in warmth.More louminous ,indeeed and without this saffron note in it,perfect ...

polly golightly
polly golightly

camaleontico, sinfonico, straordinariamente complesso, si tratta di una fragranza radicale che o si ama o si odia, la cui evoluzione ricorda i primi profumi creati dai maestri dell'inizio del secolo scorso. le prime note sono, per me, relativamente disgustose: c'è il cumino (con il suo effetto di pelle sudata) e lo zafferano. stavo già per maledirmi stamattina, quando l'ho spruzzato dopo la doccia, tanto da avere avuto la tentazione di insaponare i polsi per non sentirne il tanfo sinistro speziato. poi ho pensato di aspettare. wow!!! il profumo cambia, si trasforma completamente, in un accordo dapprima leggermente floreale (giglio e rosa) fino ad un fondo orientale -bellissimo- costellato da sandalo, fave di tonka, benzoino, patchouli e labdano ma, soprattutto, cardamomo. notevolissimo e già, a quanto pare, fuori produzione.

Debbie Joyce
Debbie Joyce

Love this scent - reminds me of fur coats and beautiful ladies. It's discontinued I need a replacement - can anyone help?

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Like many, I was hooked by the Turin/Sanchez review of 'Scent'. A "Guerlain Transformer"? Ladies' fur coats, perfume, cosmetics? Yes! Sounds perfect. But other reviews scared me a little "BO, sweat, etc. etc.". Having sniffed and worn hundreds of vintage scents in my life, I thought, ok, they say it's old fashioned, but modern. Have to try it! Astounding luck... a perfume-pal sent this to me in a trade. I waited, and held my breath.

I opened the box and beheld a small golden bomb. Admired said bomb for a bit, then sprayed it upon my wrist.

Scent reminds me of Ungaro's Diva, without any of the nasty harshness. Initially, I get a Rose like none other, so very close to real it is amazing. Then Saffron spices her up a good bit, and Lily emerges, along with a good bit of Cumin.

Does Scent smell like sweat? Maybe. But I think that particular essence in Scent is more like a few drops of perspiration on the decolletage of a dancer. It comes and goes, and I miss it until it returns.

This is an edt I'm reviewing. I need not spray more than once. It is extremely powerful and lasting. I am wearing it here at work today, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead... but Scent is really a heady scent, best worn for close encounters, or to turn heads. Slightly dangerous, completely captivating.

Planet_X
Planet_X

It does smell like an animalic-flowery-saffron-caraway mix on me, or circus-kitchen or ancient candle-factory, unusual and boozy and I suppose I more than likely would ask the person on the street, who wears Theo Fennell Scent, what sort of fragrance IS that. Instinctively attractive on subconscious level.
I think big role here plays the skin, caraway is never smells like sweat or sex on me, more like an old dated leather with honey. So it always has "vintage vibe" to me, that I am searching everywhere, in all aspects of life. And saffron with lily and labdanum gives an impression of fury cute animal with cheeky eyes, but the more you wear it, the more Victorian it seems.
Development is just white floral with spices, still animalic (indolic jasmine?) underneath, still very warm and likeable, like thousands of candles in old Church's air.
I own EDT version. And as a vintage lover - highly recommend. Made in 2006 (or 2007 according to basenotes) it would be loved by those, who wore and still wear Dana Tabu, Femme Rochas, Mystere Rochas, Bal a Versailles, etc
The nose is Christophe Laudamiel, who made Youth-Dew Amber Nude Estée Lauder

archivist
archivist

Literally the only cumin scent that has ever told me that it loves me. As is the case with so, so many saffron scents, the opening is a question of sheer endurance. Personally, I find the middle and drydown calming, comforting, more intimate in a sensual cozy way than a rowr-knock-down-the-walls way, but definitely intimate. I hesitate to call it animalic, but it is. Female animalic, in a spicy musky clean authentic and non-stanky way (my opinion). Seems like this could drive men wild while making *some* women who wear it feel like they need a shower stat. Other women will rock it out and nobody will put 2 and 2 together and say "damn girl, you smell like a Saudi princess's knickers at the end of Saturday night that began with a luxurious spa and ended with a night of clubbing in Paris" - probably, anyway. It doesn't smell like sex, but it does smell like a fancy lady's nethers. In a much nicer way than I usually mean that.

Once I got a lapdance at a strip club. I've identified as hetero all the days of my life, even during the brief period when I had a girlfriend (sometimes these things do happen) - but that lapdance made me tell my friends (I was with old college buddies, known me 20+ years) that I thought I might seriously be bi. They laughed so hard. I was bi-nfatuated for the hour, though, that's for sure.

Theo Fennel smells like ladyparts and I like it. While I have ladyparts myself, and the people who gain access to them are typically pretty laudatory, I myself am not totally smitten with ladyparts. They're not awful or anything, just not my orientation. THIS, though. Suddenly I'm like... Yeah. THIS SMELLS GOOOOOOD.

That's liberating. And kind of sexy. And I kind of want to blind smell test it on some dudes. Like hold out my arm and be all "what do you think of this perfume?"

But I'm pretty sure the answer will be a look of shock or they'll say "smells kind of like old lady" because that is what dudes usually say about anything that doesn't smell like it got farted out by some tart in Berryland. And what this smells most like is Magie Noire, but way less terrifying, and Encens Mythique, without the rose. I think the rose is EDP and the lily is EDT. I don't get rose out of this.

It's been a few weeks since Theo Fennell entered my wardrobe and I'm still mystified by this scent. In a lot of ways I just simply don't like it - but it smells good to me anyway. I had the same highly conflicted reaction to vintage Magie Noire - that I didn't want to smell like it, but I liked the way it made me feel. There is something so weirdly attractive about this, something ineffable but unwanted - I think it's the combination of the sexy sexy SEXY notes on top of a vintagey base that just simply is what it is - the scent of a bygone time. Nostalgia, necrophilia, I don't even KNOW what. It's so weird.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Theo Fennell Scent is a beautiful girl leaving a Club at 2 am. She's stunning, but she's slightly smoky and a little bit sweaty, and talking a little loud. Still she looks amazing - such bone structure, a real beauty. I love Theo Fennell but it's a scent with considerable reach - possibly wasted as I trailed it around the supermarket, but what the heck. Very good value, beautifully made, and I wish I still went nightclubbing :)

likes2paint
likes2paint

The first time that I wore this perfume, I was worried that I made a mistake in this blind buy because I got a strong wiff of sweat! I was surprised to learn that it was actually the perfume, and not me... phew!

I really find this fragrance quite addictive. I have worn it every day since I bought this perfume and it is truly delicious! Lovely stuff...

Adrien02
Adrien02

This one is so like my BCBG Sexy that I am contemplating trading/swapping for another fume. Anyone interested PM me. It is a delightful chypre floral and I have a little less than a half bottle left of a 75ml/2.5 oz.

stranger12314
stranger12314

modest and classic. this fragrance is a very warm and heavy scent, so only 2 sprays will do for me, its a very simple but versitile bottle and stands out amongst the rest, the scent is a little spicy with lavender, good for attention and standing out in the crowd

Ivyswirl
Ivyswirl

Saw all the reviews (including the Sanchez and Turin one) and immediately went on to victory via eBay. The much awaited bottle arrived.... and smelled like some sandalwood incense sticks and female sweat... Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it but I really am struggling to imagine when or how I'd wear it.

I suppose the sweat smell is cumin or caraway but it doesn't quite sit right on me, it almost smells a little plasticky. There is a lush floral almost incense smell underneath and I can detect something powerful, possibly the rose but it is hard to tell to be honest.

So far, not bad strength for edt but pretty linear for the first hour...

EDIT:

A month or two later... its love. Perhaps its the cooler weather but the beautiful notes that everyone else raves about now are developing finally. It just makes me feel rather sexy although I will admit it's pretty hit and miss with other people....

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Gorgeous Scent.
The opening is a huge bouquet of lush flowers, rose, soapy orchid and lily. It feels very very retro, when perfume would still smell "perfumey".
Then it becomes all pollen heavy lilly and spicy cardamom. A combination I dispise in Etat Libre d'Orange's Charogne. But here, I can tolerate it. What do I say? Here I love it!
The caraway and cumin slowly start to appear and a beautiful velvety accord of benzoin and sandalwood is laced through this gorgeous spicy floral mix. I have a soft spot for benzoin, I love the rich, opaque feel it gives to perfumes: dense, not creamy but not dry either, very textured, almost furry; quite animalic, but not overly so. Yet, I don't seem to find many enjoyable benzoin centered perfumes. Maybe it is exactly because it is not the main player here, that I enjoy it this much. The sweetness of the benzoin is slightly tamed by the animalic spices and waxy lily.
I really love the different character the benzoin lends to the chypré composistion.
Theo Fennell Scent is a perfume for the night. There is something very dangerous about it.
Terrifyingly beautiful.

I wish I had discovered this Scent earlier, and had gotten my hands on the bath oil and the dusting powder; such beautiful body products to accompany a perfume!

adele l
adele l

Starts off dirty and animalic on my skin but this phase subsides quickly and develops into a sweetflowery skin scent. Fairly unique and whether it works or not is highly dependent on skin chemistry.

Scentmad
Scentmad

OK, so I bought this as a blind buy thinking it would be A-MAZING. First impressions – a little like Perfect Night by Bella Bellissima, it smells of sex and cumin. However after the necessary 20-30 minutes, whilst I still smell sex and cumin, it is obscured by a lovely sweet/peppery softness that makes it completely addictive – it’s a WOWSER of a perfume. Me LIKEY MUCHLY. It’s definitely a night time/grown up woman fragrance and it is very sexy. Put this on for a second date though as it could scare off (or indeed give off the wrong impression if you get me) potential lovers because it is soooooooo overtly sexual. I have concluded, this perfume is A-MAZING.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

This smells like sex. It should be available everywhere. Scents like this have a place in the world of perfume. I do hope it hasn't been discontinued. Does anybody know?

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I eagerly awaited this as it was a total blind buy based on the very positive reviews and the fact that this sounds so different.
The first spritz was like sweat, I waited about 5 minutes, more sweat, it was unbearable, I scrubbed it off.
I'm so disappointed. Perhaps I'll try it again, but for now, a huge big NO NO!!
Maybe this bottle was off?

Noelle <3
Noelle <3

love it

truffles
truffles

Well well. I've just deleted my earlier, negative, review and am saying 'sorry Theo, I judged too quick'.
Last night, I idly sprayed this one on before bed and guess what? Miss Turnaround Nose now likes this frag!
As I sniffed away, I found it transformed quite quickly into what, to my nose, was a lovely mint-patchouli-earth heart.
This scent has more complexity and artistry than I first thought. I think what put me off was that, overall, it's not quite 'me' - some accord in there that I find quite unfamiliar and alien, an accord that I'm sure the big polleny lily is involved in.. amber/lily?
TF is growing on me, though, although I DO feel that the cheap looking packaging lets this frag down and you would think that it would have been done so much better in view of the name it carries.

Lala2013
Lala2013

Gosh , this is so hard to describe ,lol.
One of the reasons being, at least for me, its not so much that its a chameleon but its a perfume of two halves !!!!
The first impression,is its a very spicy heavy commanding fragrance in the vein of Opium, Cinnabar and suchlike, but more intense.Excellent if you are in the right frame of mind and right occassion, its certainly not something you could wear anywhere.

But the second phase of the perfume is entirely different,and feels somewhat disconnected to how it opens as the drydown is something close to whispering Chanel Allure,in that ballpark at least, as all the floral notes are basenotes, while are the topnotes are spices. Somehow its back-to-front for me. Or two perfumes for the price of one !Overall, very nice quality. But as far as a perfume taking you on a journey, it certainly does! very interesting .

ladykarl
ladykarl

After i applied this (EDP) I was going back and forth. From 'eaw, not what i expected (dusty) to oh. Thats not so bad (i smell geranium, sometimes geranium smells a little toilet-y to me) . As i dont see geranium listed may be it was 'orchid' which Im not sure I understand what the smell of orchid is as i have never smelled an actual orchid that had any scent.
The next step i was like, oh thats smelling nice and classic and reminding me of mona di orio's carnation which I like and is almost impossible to find. Then i realized the waxy lily plus benzoin smell and i thought of absolue pour le soir and i was like, oh great!
Then i got some of the spices like all at once the carraway which went from non existent to super strong after an hour or two ( I applied twice because the first application only lasted a few minutes) Two seemed to do the trick. In about three hours + now and digging it. I like how surprising and transforming it is, and it looks like i am learning that i like heady/waxy florals. The toilet spray smell has dissipated, will it return? Im not sure and i hope not.
I think this is gonna be a several time tryout before I know what to do with it. I for now am personally intrigued.
So far after the spices im still smelling waxy lily, benzoin/ vanillic, labdanum/amber and mild cardamon with cinnamon and orange blossom in the background with some patchouli. We'll see what happens next...

I did not realize this was so difficult to find in the US.
I would love the EDP if anyone is trying to sell/ get rid of this, message me!!

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

Very strong, very mature, very elegant - but after 10 minutes it disappears. It reminds me of a 80ies fragrance (Opium and the likes therof)

beddy
beddy

Ne fonctionne pas sur moi. sent le plastic brûlé !

julia hird

Smells like a rich warm Christmas eve by the fire and drinking cocoa and Leathery coats and soft blankets. This is my second review on this.

rainbow heart
rainbow heart

This is fine for guys too!

FairyDust
FairyDust

This review is for the EDP. I'll start by stating that this is a divine floriental fit for a QUEEN!

My daughter gifted me with the EDP which she bought in London recently and WOW! I was already smitten with the EDT, which I have worn regularly the past couple of years, but the EDP is absolutely DIVINE!!! The EDP is exotic, seductive, and powerful, more so than the EDT, and I didn't think that was possible!

Instead of the slightly soapy saffron found in the EDT, which I loved by the way, the saffron in the EDP is smoother, silkier and richer making this incredibly exquisite and dreamy.

The rose, orchid and labdanum project more in the EDP as well.

I do not get any sweat, or BO, or unwashed body smells from this at all. Both EDT and EDP are pleasant and gorgeous compositions. Also, there is no fennell in this composition (nor the EDT); the Fennell is referring to a name, not the fennell herb.

Both the EDT and EDP are woody, creamy, spicy, deeply floral delights with just enough patchouli and civet to make them sexy and alluring, but I have to say I do prefer the EDP as it is even more BEWITCHING!

I am instantly transported to royal life in medieval times, following the haunting aroma of TF's Scent throughout ancient corridors as I discover the secrets held within a mysterious castle. This EDP wears like those secrets being discovered as it keeps changing and captivating me, exuding sultry clues as it gives up a newly discovered secret within each stage.

As I venture outside into the royal forest, I am mesmerized by a beautiful, teal blue smoke wafting in the air in front of me, beckoning me on to discover more secrets. Although, there is no smoky incense in this potion, I imagine if colors had smells, then a rich, magical, smokey, ethereal, tealish, peacock blue would smell like this! I am in LOVE!!!

Moyra
Moyra

Over the last ten years or so, a few retro perfumery wonders have snuck out of the Floral Fruity IsoESuper Concentration Camp of Fragrance. And although I applaud the courage and gumption it took to stand up to all those vapid berries and almost-but-not-quite-there modern perfumes, I will not necessarily like them.
Such - alas!- is the case of a few of the last decade's best offerings, exemplified by Badgley Mischka's eponymous perfume and Tom Ford's much loved Black Orchid.
And, my apologies to all here, but Theo Fennell's Scent has joined this exclusive lineup.

To the lovers of these modern retro wonders, I earnestly promise I am not devoid of taste, and that I did invest in a full bottle of these special potions just on the strength of your dizzying words of admiration.
Once in a blue moon I anoint myself with them, knowing that they are deemed good and that I am probably very bad for *not* swooning.
And away they go for a while again, consigned to their original boxes until the next time I feel I should try them again and maybe enjoy them more.

It took my husband ages to hunt down a bottle of Theo Fennell, all the fans having doubtlessly made off with every last bottle of it from every online retailer in the world, but find me one he did. I thought it was safe to buy one unsniffed, since "Oriental Chypre" is a combination of my two favorite perfume styles.

Again, :::bowing head low in abject shame::: please don't sneer at me too hatefully, Oh Great Noses of the Perfume World - but to me, Theo Fennell is a Cumin and Musk bomb which fades to an indistinct WTF (Whats That Fragrance?) vague perfumishness.
Mostly, in the first two-three hours, its a cumin and musk wallop on the derriere from an unrefined and caddish older uncle, because on me, it is nowhere near feminine.
Indeed, in the hopes of eliciting a little caddish behaviour from my exceedingly sweet and well behaved beloved, I am thinking of passing this on to him. I have often found that things that misbehave in all sorts of macho ways on my skin (Tom Ford's White Patchouli, I am talking to YOU!) smell amazingly sensual and perfect on him.
So my apologies to all of you who love Theo Fennell and whose skin doesn't amp up the CUMIN AND MUSKS (all caps, yes!), but I think this lovely retro The Scent stuff deserves to be explored as a masculine.

Jayne58
Jayne58

I love chypres and this is one of the best. Rich, spicy, complex with lovely saffron notes interweaved with barely there rose. This is a shapeshifter with a fascinating development and a glorious drydown. For strong women, not girly-girls.

galex
galex

This scent is very strong and it contains a lot of cumin!!! And cumin has a sweaty smell, I use this spice when I cook oriental dishes. Fortunately the cumin smell disappears after a while and the drydown is quite nice.
Scent is described as a masterpiece in Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez book "Perfumes the A - Z guide",
but I would not wear it in public.

Hilaire
Hilaire

I don't smell the BO or unwashed body smells in this at all, nor do I smell cumin.

I really love this fragrance, and I think it's possible that people are mistaking the Saffron note in the opening of this perfume for other spices. Saffron has a very complicated and dense odour profile, and as a consequence it's possible to smell a lot of things in Saffron. It's spicey and soapy and floral all at once, it also has something uniquely Saffron-ish which is hard to quantify. This all means that in general people either love Saffron and respond to it positively or else they despise it. It provokes strong reactions.

To me this perfume revolves around a strong soapy floral Saffron top note, followed by a rich Lily and Rose and Vanilla heart, which gives way to a base of more vanilla and deep musk (which is also somewhat tangy and may be the source of some of the BO comparisons).

I get so many compliments whenever I wear this, and perfect strangers have been known to stop me in the street to inquire what I'm wearing and give me compliments about it.

I highly recommend it. Sillage is very good indeed, and longevity is good too.

Edit: Also I agree very strongly with Gypsy Perfumista's review.

Scarlette
Scarlette

There was a time when I just couldn't get enough of it.

Bought 3 bottles in 6 months (aren't you glad you weren't near me Bandit!!)..I actually get NO odorous smell on me when I wear it. (I DO when I wear Apres l'Ondee). Musk yes, BO no with Scent.

Bandit, you are one of my favorite reviewers, but our noses definitely differ on this one.

I love the heat, spices, and muskiness. It is so interesting, and makes fireworks in my nose.

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Smells like someone didn't shower, but used Shalimar to cover their scent, then went out for a 10 mile run.

Bandit

Now I got a sample of the EdP. And indeed, I can confirm, it is a sweaty greeen. Copy that? A sweaty green, also in EdP. No masterpiece, either. Over.
; )

Bandit

I don't really get the raves about Fennell.

The first sniff is all about cumin, but it fades away quickly in seconds, very disappointing. The first moment is exactly like Kingdom, but only for a second. For me a coitus interruptus really.

The top notes are to my nose a blended green accord. Usually I love very well blended perfumes, but Fennel is to my nose over-blended at that point.

Than -bamm!- the cumin is back in the middles notes. Fennell still is this high pitched green, now with cumin. The more the cumin note gets back, the more masculine it gets. The perfume is as that stage not bad, in fact better than most other ones from that time, but still not brave enough to go all the way. The whole time I’m waiting for something to happen, to go slightly over the top or for it to develop an interesting edge, but it doesn’t do me that favour. It behaves, like a british gentleman, how boring!

Please explain to me, why everybody seems to love Fennell and hates Kingdom? The cumin in Kingdom is heavier, but the composition is more feminine with all the flowers. Whereas Kingdoms cumin gives depths, Fennels cumin only reminds me of something’s missing (I suppose a good animal stink, like musk, honey or ambergris). After all, even the cumin is fading in Fennell towards the basenotes (and it gets more feminine again – I guess, a good lesson in how cumin sometimes can act like a masculinizer).

I did a direct comparison with Luciano Soprani and they are very similiar in their middle notes. I guess, that’s what Fennell is aiming for: Classic italian perfumery. But be reminded: If you want it as sophisticated as italian perfumes, you really should go for the source, that’s my opinion. Nobody did sophistication like the italians in the 80s and 90s.

After a long morphing from green-cumin-masculine to sweet sweet sweet, the final is Allure. I love basenotes to be resinous, deep and much much dirtier. I mean Allure as the dry down? How dissapointing! The biggest downer in this perfume for me.

Fennell is a mosaic of a lot of good fumes (Kingdom, an italian classic of the 80s (Soprani?), Allure), but the fractions aren’t deep enough to satisfy me. It’s a nice perfume, very modern, but not a masterpiece, imho. It might work for me in pure perfume concentration, but I do not intend on spending a lot of money to try.

Fizzy
Fizzy

How to describe this?.......... I really do not know. It is an italian fragrance sold through the english man. I bought it blind based on the reviews of Penelopeanne, Angel10 and Scarlett. It is kinda Le Dragon de Baiser from Cartier, but Dragon has a amber in the drydown, which makes that fragrance oriental. TF smells a little bit boozy in the opening and floral/fruity in the drydown - good and unbelievable rich, modern. It could be a much older brother from Cartier´s Dragon. The same genetical base, but very different. NormalIy I hate chypre, TF is the only one, I love from this group. Chypre-fruit is a genial combination. Rich, oily, bright, ever lasting, SEXY and absolutely charming scent. It is so heavy, but it does not disturb me. I put a lot of me and smell like the whole drugstore together - yes, I think, I reached the end of my seeking tour, this is a mother of all fragrances. LOVE IT!!!

Blessed
Blessed

rich oily fragrance

Juma
Juma

This is a scent I strongly recommend to test first.

I was already decided to buy it on net, but fortunatelly I waited to receive a vial to test it first- thanks Kastehelmi! With my body chemistry "creates" a NO No scent, something mossy with "old swat on clothes scent".
Sorry to lovers, that's only my humble opinion.

Angel10

I agree with you 100% penelopeanne, and I won't tell, and I smell NO fennel. I also agree with you, my sweetie Julia, it smells like happy rich women!

penelopeanne
penelopeanne

I agree with most of the above reviews except the last one about'Fennel'!! I do not smell that, but on me it glows with jasmine and lily, rose and sandlewood, a touch of patchouli, not too much musk just a hint. It's perfect!! I am known for my scents, usually Arpege,Bal a Versailles or CoCo. For me this is a scent for grownup women with exquisite dress sense and sophistication. Women who are confident and at one with themselves. Certainly not for 'girlies' who rely on trendy designer scents that all their friends 'have to have' Not for the Wannabees but women who want to smell sumptuous and sexy and very wealthy!!!! I just hope not too many catch on to this and those that wear it are exclusive. So all you out there who are fans of Theo Fennell, don't tell anyone OK?????!!!!!

julia hird

i really love the sent because it smells like leather coats and happy rich women.something strange:i hated it i liked it I LOVE IT!!!!!!

almondcookie

I wore this fragrance for 3 days now. This is my final review. I bought the EDT 75ml and i have just given it away. The reason being that the opening was not pleasant and the musky smell lasted for 15-20 mins. It was pretty strong for the time being, while the drydown was beautiful but faint. It left me wondering if it was actually worth those first few mins. Unfortunately the opening of this perfume ruined it for me. For some a harsh opening and a beautiful drydown is what makes the fragrance more interesting.

almondcookie

okay i just recieved a bottle of theo fennel which i ordered last week. Actually it comes in a white and pink box. Plain white on the outside while the inner packaging is hot pink. Also it doesn't have that silver rim around it. it is plain compared to the pictures you see above. So you will be getting a very simple bottle with THEO FENNEL written across in silver.

Now lets review the fragrance, I wrote earlier that i tried it at the fragrance store and i didn't like it the first few mins. Well today i sprayed it and it has taken 15mins for the musky smell to go. At first i got sharp citrus, heavy floral, and cinnamon overload. Then it dries down to a softer floral scent with hints of patchouli, incence and sandalwood.

After 20-30 mins you will get to appreciate this fragrance. I must also add that it smells better on me than it does on fabric. For what it's worth, this cerrtainly doesn't smell cheap. it's quite the opposite. I will wear this perfume for the next 3 days and give a final review.

*Wardrobe Mistress, You ROCK!*

HOLY PERFUME, BATMAN! This is "perfume", of that I have no doubts, even in the 'eau de toilette' strength that Wardrobe Mistress sent me (in a very generous sample). Dabbed with the dipstick cap only, on the back of my hand, it smells as if I sprayed a full blast on! Wow!

SCENT is an understatement. More like HEAVENLY FRAGRANCE to me! I imagine a new olfactive claasification for this baby: THIS is a spicy floriental chypre.

Here, in Theo Fennell's remembrances of nightclub excesses and glamour, is the luxurious and elegant perfume of yesteryear: uncompromising and elegant at the same time. Rich and heady with flowers, and spices...and this is ALL in the first five minutes, mind you. Gorgeous feminine florals like lily, rose and orchid are warmed and spiced with sweet saffron and cardamom. Spice adds thickness, but not too much heat or anything remotely "curry-like". This does come on a bit "strong", almost brusque; but once it calms down it is like a true lady. Very creamy and lightly powdery as the caraway adds a dry sharpness and cinnamon makes it come alive. This is amazing! As TF Scent dries down, it is very oriental with labdanum (rockrose resin), tonka and benzoin keeping everything sweetly resiny and incensy (just the way I love 'em!). Sandalwood adds to this exotic affair, and somewhere (underneath it all) patchouli adds just enough skankiness to this unreal beauty to make her earthy and voluptuous, without seeming like a "tramp" or too much of a "good time" gal. She is rich, in every sense of the word. Full of life, full of "spice" (read: sassiness) and mysterious; I am at once mystified and enthralled.

Sillage: Amazing!
Longevity: Very good
Overall: 4.75/5

This may be meant for women...but I know one thing for sure: I will wear this proudly, as it smells wonderful and has one of the most incensy drydowns I have ever smelled. Not smoky, mind you, but like real incense...flowers, spice,and sweet woods. Each and every layer of this is spices and flowers, flowers and spices and then a warm and wonderful base of timeless oriental indulgence-yet never is it sickening (to me). THIS is what Akasha (ancient Egyptian queen who was one of two most ancient vampires on Earth) would smell like as she passed you by...and with a scent like that: I'm a-followin!

Angel10

This is one of the VERY BEST, if not THE Best!
Warm, luxurious, special, ultra-feminine, rich & unique.

Scent has strength, character, and unbelievable sexuality....this is NOT a smell anyone around you will ever be wearing....

It IS NOT expensive, but it smells like it is verrrry expensive. Those who have tried it know what I mean.

Invincible & Stunning.
Forever a favorite. I love you baby.

UD: very hard to find!! the EDP is nearly impossible at this point. Where did it go?

rednut
rednut

This strikes me as a somewhat old fashioned scent - a perfume that smells like perfume! It goes on quite strong but dies down after about 15 minutes and is quite powdery. It has a slight bitter element on me but its not an unpleasant smell and it stays completely floral, I don't get any of the non floral base notes.I smell geranium even though it is not listed. I would not recommend it for anyone very young as it feels like a grown up scent but I guess that depends on someones level of maturity. For the price its certainly worth a try and it does smell like it should be more expensive.

The_Entity
The_Entity

Lovely, strong frag with a good price, it reminds me a little of the original Chloe

WardrobeMistress
WardrobeMistress

I really really wanted to like this, the reviews made me think it would tick a lot of boxes for me. Today in my crappy little home town I went into the perfume shop as I remembered seeing a few bottles of this heavily discounted on the top shelf.

Alas it was nowhere to be seen..but on enquiring the SA said "Oh Yes, we have one Eau de Toilette left, its down to £11 now for the 75ml. ELEVEN POUNDS!! I nearly bought it there and then & ran out before they realised they had made some kind of a mistake with the pricing, but I was horribly sensible & had a good old squirt from the tester.

SUCH a dissapointment. Actually one of the few chypres that I cannot warm to. Yes it's womanly, it's grown-up, it says "don't mess with me boys...you aren't quite man enough yet"

I can dig the soapy jasmine, I can rock the skank element, it's clearly a well thought out scent made with care & quality ingredients but I was slapped about the nostrils by that dirty dirty fennel...my most hated note. It's probably not surprising that something by Theo Fennell should contain fennel, I know it's not listed but I'm certain that this is fennel and not caraway.

Dammit! There is so much to love here, but it takes a step back and wags its leather gloved finger at me, saying calmly "No no no Mistress, this one is not for you." Sob.

Cereza
Cereza

I did not enjoy the opening, must be from saffron as my skin probably hates it, but it turned to a lovely, ultra sweet and feminine perfume with dominant vanilla and jasmine. This went on for few hours and turned to patchouli dominant dry down which I just can't enjoy. I don't think I could pull off this fragrance any way. It is a little bit dated and old school and I do not consider this sexy at all. I can imagine this on a woman in her forties, rich and kinda bitchy, doesn't care much for what other think, very powerful and strong, used to have anyone working for her.
So - a no no for me.

myrrhmaid
myrrhmaid

This reminds me of Amouage's Lyric . At first I didn't like it until I sprayed it on fabric. Maybe it doesn't suit my skin so I wear it on a silk handkerchief and love it.

kezbekistan
kezbekistan

After reading many reviews (thanks, fellow perfumista's!) about Scent, I was determined to try it.
Well, my bottle arrived today, (just in time for my birthday!) and I gave it a spray.
My immediate impression was "What a bloody expensive vanilla-musk perfume."
But after a minute, or less my opinion had changed, for the better.
The strong vanilla-ish hit faded, and settled into an earthy, spicy background for what was to come... flowers!
Now I am wrapped in a heady mix of incense, roses, jasmine, spice and herbs.
It smells like the most precious of offerings to the Gods... like an altar to Isis might smell.
A little like Alien, there's that divine tobacco-like smokiness (once again, NOT cigarette smoke, but properly cured tobacco), but it's not as "purple" as Alien.
SO glad I made the purchase, and this is just the EDT!
It makes me feel beautiful and womanly.
And yes, darlingbuds, it is what Éléonore d'Aquitaine would have worn. And she would have had the perfumer sworn to secrecy on pain of death so no other woman could wear her Scent.

lizzykay
lizzykay

I got the EDT from an internt discounter. I really like it. It's quite a classic chypre but with a lightness and a, well, friendliness that I enjoy. Almost anyone could wear it and it is fine even in warm weather. The spices are muted and the most noticeable notes are a happy kind of floral. The final fading is into a very comfortable vanilla you could just curl up and drink cocoa with. I cannot speak for the Parfum but the EDT is not at all strong but it lasts nicely all day.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is beautiful. I bought it on recommendation for its 'skank' factor and its 5 star Turin rating. I do not find it skanky in the least! It hits the nose initially with a blast of cumin and florals akin to Rochas 'Femme' and smells, to me, identical until after about 2 minutes.
A rose emerges, a dark, blood red rose not from a garden but from the bedroom of a 'lady of the night';the slightest animalic scent upon its petals. Then the jasmine arrives, not completely unlike 'Lou Lou'. This is a schizophrenic perfume, wearing it is like being in a room with hundreds of doors which open and an entirely different person comes out to introduce themselves throughout the wearing. As I'm writing this it is still changing, now pillow soft musk and saffron. A masterpiece indeed, but very strange - like wearing 5 different perfumes one after the other.
I don't agree that it's overly strong. I've got the EDT and would heartily love to try the parfum - More please!!

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

Oh mama, this perfume is all grown up...

I know we have many debates on Fragrantica about the 'age' or 'maturity' the wearer should be for certain perfumes, and I am usually to be found in the "age doesn't matter - if you love the perfume, wear it!" corner. However, I shall state again... *this* perfume is alllll grown up.

By that I mean, to wear this with aplomb, to do this fragrance justice, you must have a little wiggle to your hips, know how to lick your lips, a certain smile in your eyes that says "I have lived a little, I know many things, I may choose to share them with you if I let you get that close."

The opening blast - the very first sensation was of pink lemonade and baby shampoo. I know, hardly classy and sexy, but this is my honest first impression. It lasted only a few seconds, as on my next sniff, I was enraptured. The intoxicating smell of pollen-heavy lilies began wafting from my wrist, and I knew it would be love.

After the lily comes a warm, all-enveloping, creamy cloud of orange blossom and jasmine with rose and spices elbowing for room - not sharply, but sliding through the crowds, smiling, always getting their own way. And then the cinnamon began, beautifully handled, softly mixed, completely addictive.

Oh, and the saffron - incredibly, exquisitely blended, never dominating but always very present in the middle of the perfume's development. Oh, I adore it, I keep getting waves of a delicious scent lapping at my senses and wondering: "who smells so gorgeous? OH, it's ME!"

Three hours in and I am at a stage that smells of juicy yellow plums infused with the rich saffron, a sprinkle of cinnamon, baked with rose petals and a dash of some exotic liqueur. Oh god, it's heavenly.

My only regret is that I have the EDT - and now I must, must own the more powerful juice itself.

You absolutely have to try this for yourself - it seems to have been transported from another age - one can certainly sense Theo Fennell's influences of stolen visits to impossibly chic Parisian nightclubs. There is a glitter of expensive jewels, the softness of fur stoles, the gleam of gold powder compacts and the deep red, unashamedly sexual slashes of lipstick surrounding this scent.

Oh, Theo Fennell, I adore your perfume - if only I could afford your jewellery, too.

Must. Have. More.

guest_Alice.E.
guest_Alice.E.

blindly guessing, could tell this was made by Jean Kerleo. Same class!

Rare thing!

Ouch!
Ouch!

Really really nice bottle, looks classy and made me want to smell the scent. Well..I got to smell it this weeeknd when I went to Harrods and...I was not impressed at all. It smells very very dated and generic. I can smell opium in this alot. It's the sort of perfume that could be headache inducing and smells a bit like it's spoiled or something. Not a fan!! :(

eskarina62
eskarina62

Bought it blindly on recommendation of a friend.
To my nose it felt like NOTHING special - just looking at the variety of componenents made me think the producers failed in doing a good job.
But then....
Oh, my! A whole new world - something completely surprising!
It opens with the lovely scents of flowers which almost disappears after you have enjoyed a brief whiff to give way to a flowery-woodsy, bitter- sweet sensation which lingers all day long in a nicely surprising way
I wrote a very negative review at first but then, on day 3 of possessing it, Theo Fennel DID give me a BIG surprise.
It is a must-try for the woman who loves to be challenged, who lives with on e foot on the accelerator :) still ready to face the novel sensation of something unexperienced before. Apart from what I said I would rather classify it as a classical scent...which is a world in itself
See for yourselves, ladies :)

parmania
parmania

oh yes!absolutely true! this is a very sexy perfume. I fell in love with it from the first sniff, and I won't rest untill I make my dream to have it come true! I want it!
Theo Fennell Scent е вече ФАКТ,имам си го и мисля че е попадението ми за 2009г.
Две думи-Мноооого секси!

frangipani
frangipani

Whoa there! Soooo strong and definately not for someone who would want to blend in. More for someone whose fragrance enters the room before they do. Not my cup of tea!

darlingbuds
darlingbuds

If Eleanor of Aquitaine had had a perfume, I insist that it would smell like this. Like her, Theo Fennell's 'Scent' is a headstrong beauty. But... for the contemporary soul, it is a chypre to be reckoned with!

There is rose, yes, but this is not a rosy-rose perfume; it's sexual rather than romantic. The jasmine isn't creamy, but coppery. These are dark flowers;they're sinister; they're Baudelairean. And they drive mercilessly into the thudding heart of the basenotes. It's an old-fashioned resting place we come to there: the drydown does everything a good classic should do -- lingers smokily and lovingly in the crooks of your elbows, nape of your neck, mingles with the sourness of your all-night skin to become 'you-only-better'. Yes, this is one for night. A night of black dress, opaque lipstick and feminine wiles.

Strong, libidinous (but not animalic), and unapologetic, 'Scent' will crush every 'Light Blue'-wearer for miles around under it's well-heeled leather shoes.

Royal consort or not, you can get a shot of this stuff at The Perfumed Court.