Designers » T-Z » Leather « Groups

dislike

leather
caramel
A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir Thierry Mugler for men Videos

Thierry Mugler is launching new limited edition collection Les Parfums de Cuir ("The Fragrances of Leather"), which offers new editions of Angel, Alien, Womanity and A * Men perfumes, coming out in October 2012. This collection celebrates the twentieth birthday of Thierry Mugler perfumes. For the occasion, four new interpretations of the famous fragrances enriched with natural extracts of leather are presented. This concept combines haute perfumery and the traditional craft of glove making and perfume craft.

The new fragrances are made by soaking the original compositions in natural leather for four weeks.

A * Men Les Parfums de Cuir provides a softer touch of mysterious patchouli in contact with leather.

The feminine editions are given new and unique bottle design, while the masculine one retains its original shape. Each scent comes with a logo on the cap, which marks the 20th anniversary. The fragrances are available in Eau de Parfum concentration.

Leather Coriander Lavender Green Notes Fruity Notes Mint Bergamot

Leather Honey Patchouli Jasmine Milk Caramel Lily-of-the-Valley Cedar

Leather Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Benzoin Vanilla Coffee

A*Men

A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir Fragrance Reviews

kavi

Oh man! I have to take back everything bad I've said about this fragrance last year!

I've worn this on a cold and wet day in Bristol. It has been an eye opener.

I see why I hated it before, that leather note was not something I saw as being the genuine article, but what I missed by this judgement was the point all together...

It an interpretation of leather, leather with A*Men. It keeps the original A*Men DNA oh so well, but it adds a small raw hide twist. It takes away a bit of that tar (but not too much) and gives it a higher level of luxury, which just makes it into an extremely rounded A*Men fragrance, and boy does it sit so damn nicely! I'd call this the sensible A*Men for everyone who found the original a tad too hard/harsh.

I think I will finally get a bottle now, and use it in cold Autumn days, and go back to my original A*Men in the winter to keep me warm and cosy :D

Molko

@stinakarlsen, if you like and fits to you the original Amen, this leather version will be good, I think so. It has also the tar smell but complete with smooth leather/rubber note, not overly harsh like Amen and more and more it turns softer...
I am not a man and I have the original Amen, Pure Havane and just a sample of A.leather, but to be honest Pure Havane is far the best for/on me:)

stinakarlsen
stinakarlsen

Can I wear it? I am a woman. I bought a small bottle of A-men...I love it. One day when i got on the tram in town, this wonderful smell hit me. Hard. It was so good. I started to look around,trying to be discrete, wondering who had this perfume when I suddently recognized the brand. Amen. My husband had it once but it did not fit. Looking around trying to target the person wearing it(not common in my contry),I realised it was a woman! I had not the curage to ask but I was sure enough. So I bought one to. And I need another bottle so I ask your advice: can I buy me a pure leather Amen or is it too manly.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I found this PHENOMENON fragrance in with several other misplaced fragrance which were tucked away in a boutique. The women was very kind and opened the last piece. When I sprayed it on my skin....I was experiencing a euphoria..la la land.
The first notes of leather was as if it was stewing in a wooden barrel giving it a really gorgeously DESIRABLE AROMA. I always get a really mouth watering full aroma of sweet caramel/coffee. This juice is like caffeine. .you need your coffee fix which makes it ABSOLUTELY DIRTY/SEXY :))))
After it settles the aroma of honey is all over your body making you testy...yummy. Both amber and benzion complete this complex fragrance which craves attention. Finally just a hint of musk gives this juice a warm vib against your skin.
Longevity and Silage is highly ranked..lasting well past 10hrs on my skin.
Finally thoughts,
This stuff is addictive to wear..several women couldn't believe that I had such a LUXURIOUS taste in fragrance. I have had so many compliments wherever I go especially during the evening at dinners and special occasion's. Someone came up to me and offered to buy it 2x what I paid for it because his wife couldn't stop talking about the aroma.
Guy's listen up...very important most women find frag's with a warm/woodsy/sweet scent attractive. This fragrance is PHENOMENAL during the fall/winter months. Rating this juice is UNBELIEVABLY intoxicating and sexy..10/10. :)/)

Molko

The prefect word to this creation is smooth. Very similar to the original Amen without aggressive and overpower feeling. I smell mostly weird soft bold rubber and patchouli-caramel combo. More modern, more serious and sad scent to my nose, but easier to wear than the older brother. If you like Amen but find too harsh and aggressive, I'm sure you'll like this:)

Alex Souza

All the caramel sweetness of A * Men associated with traditional note and intense natural leather.

peeck@charter.net
peeck@charter.net

LOVE IT, LOVE IT,LOVE IT!
Wow, what can I say... Leather to the hilt! Yes it does have the backbone of the original A*MEN, but I did find it to be very wearable... I really didn't like the tar note other wise A*Men was nice, but I find this Pure Leather to be what it everyone is talking about. I get a scratchy almost dirty leather note that goes all the way through the drydown. With the coffee and caramel sweetening the earthy patchouli. There's also a dark chocolate note peeking through. With a hint of florals to hold it together. This is something that a real man would wear! Its dark... Its kinda dirty... Its slightly sorta sweet like you'd smell from a coffee house... This is not a pretty scent but a very complex masculant fragrance... BEASTMODE for the first hour... Longevity out the patoosey! You will smell the A*men vibe the next day on your skin after the leather has worn off!

I really think one could pull this off year round. Yes it could become cloying if applied to heavily... But, its one of those stand alone men's fragrances that just smells like a man should, smell like... Ya, why not! Just be careful of the trigger...

Well done TM!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

Pure Leather is A*Men done right! Now, as for the 'Pure Leather' moniker which is arguably confusing to many, including myself, who were expecting this fragrance to be something akin to Tuscan Leather or Golden Boy...well, the leather is there, but it's clean and subtle.

Initially, I was somewhat disappointed since this fragrance didn't fully live-up to it's namesake. However, after wearing it a couple times I realized the leather toned-down the obnoxious side of A*Men which makes for an excellent fragrance; again, it's A*Men done right! Projection is excellent and this fragrance last for 12+ hours on my skin (perhaps even beast mode). I love this fragrance just as much as Pure Malt and Pure Havane...and way more than the original A*Men.

totoksoedarto
totoksoedarto

Yup...the scent is very similar to the original of A * men, but longevity is not as long as the original one.

Smell: 7/10
Sillage: 8/10
Longevity : 8/10

mikedvd5588
mikedvd5588

sangat mirip a*men original dengan perbedaan tar notes pada a*men di gantikan dgn notes leather.just it. jika anda huge fan thierry mugler, ini patut di koleksi.

KinG JameS

Hmm... I´m interested in this and after reading the last 4 reviews am completly confused. One says there too much leather and thats why they dont like it and the other one says there´s practically none in it. So who should I believe here? Looks like I need a sample before I buy, seems to me like blind buying isnt an option if things are so confusing. Does anyone know of any batch differences like evident by Creed Aventus? Alittle help would be appreciated.

Jose Marcos

Really? It's very strange to get a strong leather in Pure Leather??? and that's why I don't like it? Really 2 ...

FrozanKaos
FrozanKaos

I get a lot of leather note from this one, which I don't really enjoy.
And it is very similar to the original Amen

Zealous
Zealous

Like with Havane, I'm disappointed. I just don't get it. To me, it smells nothing like leather, really--it's bad. Not a lady get or a niche scent. This is third Thierry Muglar I have tried and it the DNA I don't like. Didn't like A-Men, Havane, or Les Parfums de Cuir (leather). If you don't like A-Men, DON'T try this one.

Smell: 4/10
Sillage: 6/10
Lasting: 7/10

Joeyvice
Joeyvice

Theirry Mugler's pure cuir, or pure leather, is dark, and masculine, yet sweet, and inviting. It's a fragrance for a "man's man"...who's looking to seduce a woman. A general rule of thumb is Thierry Mugler is a master of his craft, like King Midas everything he touches turns to gold. If you don't like this scent there are most likely two reasons why. 1. You are not very knowledgable about colognes, not necissarily a bad thing, maybe you're just now getting into men's fragrances, or 2. You are impatient, and can't wait for the dry down, because once this fragrance has settled it becomes a well designed masterpiece. Like Shreck once said, onions have layers...and most Mugler fragrance's are onions. You have to be patient with them to really appreciate their beauty, in the end your patience will pay off.

Jariel
Jariel

I really enjoy PL, it's second only to PH which i love.
To me this is the smoother, more refined version of A*men and i think the leather attributes to that. I get a lot more mint from PL than the original, more caramel, a hint of fruitiness like from PM but toned down and i do definitely get the leather and it does smell authentic to my nose like a leather glove. Even though I smell the leather its not to the forefront its in the background as a base to this fragrance and is there throughout the entire lifespan, the tar note as well is still there but smoother, make it easier to wear and more versatile. I get excellent longevity, projection and silage, overall I'd give it a 9/10

Nosey49
Nosey49

Just blind bought this. if you're looking for leather, don't go here. What you have instead is a toned-down A Men without the tar note and with a touch of mint. I think it's a fantastic fragrance and better than the three A Men and flankers I've owned: Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and the original A Men.

mitsufan
mitsufan

After reading the comments, I thought this one would be one of the less good flankers of the TM line. Nevertheless I blind bought it, because I'm such a big fan of Thierry Mugler and the Pure line.
In my opinion this is good, even really good! In the opening you do get the tar note ,which is quite harsh. You do get a lot of the A*men, but with a lot of leather though. The tar note stays for a long time on my skin. After Approximate an hour, the tar note settles down and it gets very, dangerously, smooth. Where A*men gets seriously sweet, pure leather stays more woody/smoky-like, which gives it absolutely more class and romance.
For me it's a combination between the original A*men and Pure Malt, which is perfect. Pure Malt smells absolutely awesome, but it lacks in projection to me, Pure Leather is more intense to mee, in the opening even more intense than the original A*men.

Newcollector
Newcollector

Ok. I own A*Men, Pure Shot, Pure Malt, and now Pure Leather. Pure Havanne is next for me. I just got this fragrance today, so I cannot atest to the longevity/dry down yet, but the first thing I thought of when I smelled this fragrance about 20 minutes ago was "whoah". I'm pretty sure I even said it aloud in my car when I sprayed it for the first time. This thing is strong. It smells almost identical to A*men. The leather is prominent. But smells awesome. Must buy for anybody that likes A*Men. I hit my left wrist with 1 spray and I am sitting my office at work (24x20) and when I leave the room and come back, I can smell it. Pretty excited to load up on it with 3 sprays tomorrow. I could see it getting too strong if you spray it on the front neck area. Stick with the back of the neck and wrists. But damn...this stuff is getting stronger by the minute. One hit. Prob less than that. And only $40 shipped? Can't beat that. So glad I added this to my collection. Only a few more to purchase and I have the lineup of star bottles. Stoked. Never disappointed by a TM frag. So far so great.

My girlfriend has a closet full of shoes/boots. There's this one pair of boots she wears 40% of the time and she leaves them in the middle of the closet floor, so I have to move them allllll the time. Anyways, the leather on the exterior of these boots is quite pungent. That's the type of leather smell in this fragrance. Fresh. Thick. Pungent.

This edition of this Mugler fragrance smells very much like the original...chocolate(amped up) caramel (amped up) and vanilla (amped up) with a taste of leather. The same type of leather found on the outside of some pretty expensive (heel-styled) boots. Picture a box of freshly bought leather boots (maybe 4-5 pair). You're wearing A*Men when you open this box of boots in a closet space. Just hang out in there for a few minutes with the box opened. That's Pure Leather. Exquisite. Go buy it. Hesitance not needed.

SenseOfScents
SenseOfScents

A*Men Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

SUBJECTIVE

The A*Men child that smells most like its parent, this one seeks to appease those consumers who may have found the A*Men opening too harsh. The review for this one requires you to have read the review of A*Men, the former fragrance substituting the note of leather for the latter's note of tar. While the note breakdown differs between these two fragrances, I feel that a review of Pure Leather is best delivered as a comparison review against the original A*Men as they smell so similar.

It is the top that separates these two. If A*Men's tar offends you and does not mix well with the scrumptious dry-down in your eyes (nose rather), then Pure Leather is for you. The leather note is obvious despite what others say. Unlike the typical leather note in other fragrances, this fragrance features a wet leather scent. If not watered down, the leather would dominate this sensual fragrance and defeat the purpose of substituting tar for leather. As the leather fades (though present the entire way), its base is a seductive mix of A*Men's gourmand notes. What's more, if you like the original A*Men, you are bound to also like this fragrance (maybe more, maybe less).

OBJECTIVE

Another key difference between Pure Leather and its parent is the issue of performance, where the former is significantly weaker than the latter. Because A*Men projects like a bomb, A*Men Pure Leather therefore features satisfactory projection. In fact, the indomitable strength of A*Men often makes it unwearable; Pure Leather is the solution when you covet this scent for work, for indoor wear or for use in warm weather. Like the original Angel Men, however, Pure Leather easily lasts on the skin the entire day. You will be good to go with two sprays to the chest and two more to the neck.

IMPRESSION

A smoother version of A*Men off the top, A*Men Pure Leather offers a sensual leather- and patchouli-infused sweet cologne that is as masculine as it is inviting. Reach for this prodigy child instead of A*Men when you feel less daring and when you do not wish to saturate the air around you. Do note, however, that while the leather may be more appealing than the tar, the former comes across synthetic in A*Men Pure Leather while the latter offers an earthy dynamic to A*Men.

PLAN

If you are in love with A*Men, then A*Men Pure Leather will not be worth a purchase unless you are a collector of colognes (or of A*Men bottles like myself). If A*Men, however, is not appealing to your nose, then do away with any judgment and find yourself a sample of A*Men Pure Leather before it disappears (an inevitable conclusion to this limited edition A*Men derivative). ★★★★

bonanza1
bonanza1

This to me smells mothing like the orginal angel man, no tar this has something really special, it does smell like leather, like the inside of a glove but more. It reminds me of the inside of a big church that airy deep incense smell that lingers in the air after a big mass. Very unique. I own a lot of TM colognes and this one is at the top of the list..

marycon

This is not a modern fragrance. It has similarities with A Men but this one is darker! Probably something that a royalty in the 18th century would wear. 2 sprays are enough to keep you going for 8-10 hours! I love the sweet dark leather vibe after the first hour on this one. Love it!!!

Castor
Castor

Some time ago I did a hand-in-hand comparison between the regular one and its leather flanker as an answer to a post about it: a member of BN wanted to know if it was worth buying.

Here are my impressions:

1. A * Men leather... hold on, I will get a whiff of it... (applied and... cough, cough, really), well, let's see... it has a leatherish top note, later getting sweeter, albeit heavy. It has a heavy musk-like note reminiscent of the heavy musks in fashion during the 1970's (Avon Woody Musk).

2. A * Men regular: lighter, sweeter, gentler. The the tar note evolves within this sweet frame.

A * Men Leather is heavier, more dense and bolder than the regular one.

In the regular one the chocolate notes are obvious, in the Leather version it has a light petrol / gas note. I said "light". After some minutes the oil / gas note takes over the chocolate, again, in a light way.

So, there you have it:

Looking for a nuclear bomb > A * Men Leather.

Looking for a power bomb > A * Men.

Very similar to A*Men but without as much tar and mint. I only used a tiny amount and it was very strong. The leather note is about as mild as I can imagine, but then again I enjoy strong leather notes, so someone who dislikes leather notes may think it's stronger here than I do. Overall, I would say this is good for those who find A*Men to be a bit unbalanced but like the idea; this might work for you. Just be sure to start off using really small amounts - you can always apply more if it's a bit weak. Too much would really irritate me, but that's fine, because it means that it's a great value. And speaking of which, I just noticed 100 ml bottles are selling for just a bit more than $40 on amazon, which means that it's a really good deal, at least for the time being.

UPDATE: With a regular wearing, the leather is clear, but it almost seems like a couple of different kinds were used, an old/soft/worn/animalic one and a fresh/new one. In any case most of the leather is gone within perhaps one and two hours, and at that point it's like a less crude A*Men. If you don't like the opening of this one you can just stick to A*Men, if you're looking for this sort of thing.

UPDATE #2: This one is growing on me. Once the drydown arrives, there is some really nice dynamism between the leathery quality and the gourmand elements. This is not for those who fear "mature" smells, but otherwise if you like leather and gourmands done in at least a somewhat subtle way, the drydown here might work for you.

razorbill
razorbill

hate it !! hate it !! i love pure malt, like taste of fragrance, like A-men, this is terrible.

tige60
tige60

Jusr received the bottle of A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir and have to say that I'm really loving this stuff. The fact that it's longevity is a lot more than I anticipated is an added bonus. But the fragrance definitely and strongly reminds me of Nasomotto's Absinth -- the good thing is that it's not nearly as expensive as the Nasomotto! Totally perfect for a cold winter night (or day, for that matter) as it has a very decent warmth to it. See myself grabbing another bottle of this stuff as I will probably go thru the current before winters end.

wquiggle25
wquiggle25

IM looking for a bottle of this! if you have one please message me!

lvxifer
lvxifer

my favourite in the a*men line.less sweet ,smoky, leathery with hint of shoe cream.darkest a*men's brother.performance is almost same like a classic one.just enjoy this black alchemy.

hadrian
hadrian

In my oppinion, Pure Cuir is better that the original A*Men - and more interesting too, for a parfume collector.
As others said, the very DNA of the original is present here - but is also present an unforgetable hint of coffe plus caramel plus milk. Very, very interesting!
The leather isn't a dominant note; it is more like a subtle sugestion/perception: you know it's here, but you can't touch it.
Of course, some will (reasonably) speculate on a similarity with Animale Animale (nothing new, given the fact that AA is prior to A*M). But let's face it: I can admit a kind of "deja vu", but Pure Cuir is - as a perfume - better blended in any way.
A very good frag for the winter, that's understood.
And a deserved 9+/10.

Javy_Medz
Javy_Medz

Another interesting blind buy. The opening hits you smack dab in the jaw! A tar overtaking making you take a step back. The leather comes off plastic-y and waxy/rubbery with the addition of mint only making it more tough to handle. I allowed it to calm down. The tar flees and I'm left with an agreeable leather mixed in with a toothpaste-y nose tingling mint and a bed of caramel. The transformation is astonishing and the middle stage of this fragrance just sucks you in. The A*Men DNA is quite present yet I don't feel like this is a replica with some leather added. The A*Men concept is there yet this comes off better constructed. It's smooth. And the dry down is a sweet, better composed A*Men but with an animalic tinge. Such an intriguing and definitely geared towards masculine scent. (Co-workers said the original came off 'feminine') I'm impressed to say the least. Glad I have this in my collection. Patience is a virtue with Parfums de Cuir.

cristian76
cristian76

profuma di cioccolato alla menta

scentgent
scentgent

Edit: Wore this over the holidays, and am getting compliments from family and friends across the board.

This smells nothing like A*Men to me. I mean that in a good way.

Pronounced top tar note maybe is the only reason others make the comparison in my mind. The tar note is so strong that it reminds me of rubber, which is the biggest complaint others have against this fragrance. I personally think the tar note is fine once it dries down after 15-30 minutes. All I get is a leathery "refined glove" scent mixed with the tar top. The leather note could be better, as it is a little synthetic.

Similar dry down to angel men, in that it leads to a sugary gourmandish base a little bit. I am not sure if it is caramel or just sugar, but it is something sweet in the background. There is still leather throughout the fragrance, though it is more toned down after 30 minutes.

I like it. I am complimented most by it over Pure Havane and Pure Malt, which I did not see coming.

The fragrance is really dark though. Do not wear more than 2 sprays.

Sillage: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
Versatility: 8/10
Compliments: 9/10
Bang for Buck: 10/10 (got it for 38 dollars)
Overall: 9/10

I personally recommend you try it on your skin first. Apparently this fragrance can rear its ugly head depending on skin chemistry according to other reviewers. A highly recommended "try" from me, though this works well with my skin.

Labaloo
Labaloo

Wow! So many reviews for this one! I guess I'll add my two cents into the pile as well.

First of all, the opening surprised me with a buttery-and-sweet caramel balanced SO smoothly against a bitter-sweet "green" accord (which to me smells of: galbanaum, coriander, and a delicate touch of mint). Dark coffee also percolates forward, and I am stunned by the way the designer made these three elements (caramel, coffee, bitter green) bond together so well into something edible and yet a bit disquieting... as if you suspect that caramel latte in front of your nose might be laced with some strange, intoxicating herb... This is totally unlike the other A*Men flankers, and totally unlike any-other fragrance I've ever smelt- bravo for incredible originality!

From there, it takes a good 3 hours for this opening to truly settle and expose more of the heart and base. It isn't until then that the beautifully-musty leather note can really fully be appreciated, and, again, so well-balanced against- and adding ruggedness to- the warm, oriental base- does anyone else detect black rubber tire as well?

Longevity is incredible.

I'm impressed, and it's been a long time since I felt so excited, looking forward to an occasion to wear this one and see how it is received.

Robmeister32
Robmeister32

I like this fragrance. First 10 mins smells like A*men then it dries down to smelling like dark chocolate powder used for baking brownies.

Sillage: 9/10

Overall: 26/30

Make sure you test first before buying.

gaurav.verma2308
gaurav.verma2308

Superb fragrance from Thierry Mugler...
SO long Awaited perfume was definitely worth waiting for.
Though at initial whiff u wont be able to differentiate b/w this and Amen but let this thing settle down and then see the magic..
Slowly and slowly the leather can be easily noticed with the blend of sweet caramel..!!
Its very appreciated perfume..
Nt many people even know about it.!!
I bought it from
Splash Fragnance,India
+91 8956139654
+91 8793896846

Manofomega
Manofomega

I will agree that Pure Cuir smells a lot like Angel Men but only for the first 15 to 30 minutes. After that it takes on an aroma all its own. The dry down on me is wonderful. A definite leather aroma but not overpowering. I have 5 Mugler fragrances and love them all. I would rate this second to Pure Malt.

Alex Souza

Toda a doçura caramelada do A*Men tradicional associado a nota de couro natural e intensa.

Casquinho
Casquinho

Very unique scent I think. It's like leather with chocolate, mint, milk, gums (yes, gums!) with the most dark modern robotic feel wou'll ever encounter today in the market! Projection and sillage are insane really, i'm in a car going out at night with friends and it fills the interior of it like if it was child's play...
Longevity is what you would expect, goes through the next day in your clothes and over 12 hours on my skin.

Sillage: 7,5/10
Projection: 8,5/10
Lonjevity: 9/10

Overall: 8/10

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

ok here is my take on this perfume...and it solely from my point of view.
this is NOT similar to the original Amen like many claim...
maybe that they said is right...they used Amen in a vat of leather and bottled it...
But....But....
the leather is heavy on this one to me...which makes a big difference from the original Amen...this is like a very provocatively masculine, rugged perfume.....
its bad boy perfume.....thats in a good way.
when they say malt, they use malt...when they say coffee, they use coffee, when they say leather, they use leather..so maybe the base (not base note) is the same....cuz the TM DNA is there...
it is strong, leather like smell of rich leather, but not like shoes, its like freshly processed leather just before it goes into the final product (my dad had a leather business when i was young, so i am familiar with the smell).

it is a good perfume...its not pure havane or pure malt....but it is a pretty good perfume...

another thing i wanna mention here to the critics, if you don like a perfume please let your feeling be vented out...no issues

but please do not mislead other users by telling these perfumes are "exactly the same" as that perfume....te cases to be true, but sampling it in multiple sources will let you know if it is the genuine one u tried in the first place.

contrary to popular belief, there ARE good number of end-users who blind buy...

ROLDAN
ROLDAN

Here I'm siting rather like a pair of new leather shoes :) But not like a pair of simple cheap shoes, a sturdy one and made of high quality leather. Such a great thing ,that this fragrance doesn't smell on me rudely and too synthetic. It's not too loud, very elegant combination of leather and caramel and quite balanced. It has a more masculine character than the original. Imho Leather note is taking a main solo part here and the original A*Men (first version) here is as on back-vocals role. Once you have a good shoe whacked during next dry-down stage the fragrance reminds more and more the original version but the leather note reminds itself from start to finish. Longevity and sillage are moderate. I noticed that the entire line of limited editions durability and strength of smell are weaker. It goes great with leather accessories, under a leather jacket or coat will be very stylish. This aroma definitely an acquired taste and mood. . I don't think this one will disappoint some fans of Thierry Mugler's fragrances. I like this version! Quite unique concoction.

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

I love this scent...

rossen27
rossen27

My signature perfume. Similar to orinal a*men with a litle leather that for sure make the diferense. Not the best learher perfume, butt justthe dose it needs. And hey.... who want to smell like the the couch of a doctor? It is just the perfect dose of leather that was needed.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

An interesting take on A*Men and quite a unique combination of leather notes and chocolate gourmand notes. Who'd have thought those would go good together? Not their best flanker, but not their worst either... Worth a try.

Brandon_4078
Brandon_4078

I sampled this side by side against the original A*Men at Macy's. My friend was along with and in the top notes he preferred the original A*Men as did I. Granted it was a summer night, the leather mixed with tar top note of Pure Leather actually smells worse than the plain tar A*Men has IMO. Both lasted forever and projected like beasts and which one my friend smelt only depended on which arm he was closer to.

Now when I got home my sister smelled both of them (in the heart notes now) and she said they smelled the same. I found a light leather note in Pure Leather but other than that they did smell eerily similar (a candy caramel and vanilla).

I actually find that I liked A*Men the best between the two because the tar top note I can tolerate unlike the tar and leather combo of Pure Leather (it just stinks). That I find is the only difference worth noting as they smell nearly identical through the rest of the scent. IMO save your money if you already have A*Men (unless you are a collector of the "Pure" line), if you don't I would recommend A*Men over Pure Leather.

devilluvzme
devilluvzme

this is the pure leather
Smells very very very similar to original A Men

KinG JameS

Am alittle confused, is this the TM Pure Leather I have heard of? Am asking because I dont see it listed in the TM list of Fragrances. From what I have heard its not sweet at all, am I on the wrong thing or is this indeed the Pure Leather I so much have heard about? Need some info whoever might be knowing what they are talking since I have heard a lot trash lately :-)

gividaletti
gividaletti

A good thing!! Go who enjoys unique is that there are very ............ leather with caramel, vanilla ...... a silky soft ... lovely and fixed other.

evolutionx11
evolutionx11

Top notes hit you in the face with a leather strap. At 5 mins the leather backs off and the patchouli starts pumping. For the next 10 mins the patch and leather battle into a smooth mix that I found to be very nice. The initial battle can be concerning and overwhelming as initially I was not so sure this was going to work for me. But as the dry down begins post 20 mins the A*Men DNA kicks in with the caramel smoothing out the patch and leather. The patch dry down is very nice like original A*Men with a hint of leather. If you enjoy the flankers then this is a good addition to the collection to add another option. It's definitely A*Men with leather swapped in for the tar note so if you like leather and don't like the tar note in the original (but liked everything else) then this is the perfect option for you.

By virtue of it's face punch of leather A*Men Parfums de Cuir is vaugely reminiscent of certain old school leather-heavy male fragrances. It quickly mellows and becomes a soft leather, coffee & cream with a strong patchouli backing and a slight minty freshness.
I find the sweetness fairly mild. I'm guessing this is due to the mint, lavender and coriander which offer an aromatic and freshly spicy layer. This is actually one of very few fragrances where coriander + leather doesn't turn into a disgusting, musty mess on my skin.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

In my opinion, "A*Men Pure Leather" has proved me once again that perfumes are indeed a personal journey.
After reading so many reviews complaining about its similarity with the traditional A*Men, I was disappointed with "Pure Leather" even before giving it a chance... or a sniff.

To my surprise, "Pure Leather" does a great job combining the leather note to the well known A*Men formula. It never denies its chocolate/patchouli heritage, mainly during the drydown, but you can smell the difference during the opening notes.

"Pure Leather" may not be your best leathery option when you open your wardrobe, but it's a more wearable version of "A*Men", specially on hot days. Give it a try. You may like it! :)

Jose Marcos

Congrats to Smellyman, five days without a shower and still smelling good thanks to Pure Leather. If others couldn't get it before, now it is THE time. Bravo.

bp
bp

If God exists, surely it will use a perfume Thierry Mugler ... certainly. Once all the perfumes of this brand are divine; and with bottles worthy of Gods and Goddesses.

GoodVibrations

Still love this one. It is a green leathery floral over A*Men. It's almost like Devin over A*Men. Beautiful animalic gourmand that is rich in its depth.

BradleyRay
BradleyRay

Best thing about this is the bottle. That's it. I was VERY disappointed when I tried this, and I normally love everything Mugler does.
I smelled like bug spray all day. WAY TOO MUCH LEATHER. A*Men is already a love or hate fragrance, but adding the strong leather just ruined it for me. :/

Smellyman
Smellyman

I put this fragrance on 5 days ago and have not showered since and I have to say that the beauty of this scent is shining through. It seems to take command over all the other smells that are emanating from me. Like an old leather couch that has seated many it rounds-up the other smells to define itself. So, my message is give it time to define itself...

pz213
pz213

Lovely scent but without the harsh notes, got the longevity and projection like its father
prefect for winter

1 or 2 spray max should last you all day

glad its getting all the hate no man around me will be wearing it lol

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

I love leather fragrances, but I cannot get into this one.
I love the original A*men, but I cannot love this one.
This was way too overpowering for me with as little as two sprays. Even after 6 hours it felt like I just sprayed it on. Projection like a roach killing fogger. Sillage like an exaust pipe of an oil burning car.
I'm a big fan of the other line up that TM has, but I just don't understand this one. To be fair, I did wear this for a few weeks with varying success, but I could not get past the volume this has. Close friends also did not enjoy this one compared to the other TM scents.
I was lucky enought to sell my bottle with minimal $ loss.

Just throwing my $0.02 into the fountain.

irfanj
irfanj

i hate dis perfume.it smells horrible.no 1!shud waste their money buying dis.plz take me seriously.WARNING!

twlahue

On a test strip it does have a dead animal accord about it...however, it is much better on the skin after a moment. you have to spray it on and let it sit, don't fear the cuir...

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

It's A*Men reincarnated with slight nuances of leather from the opening until the base.
I found a more wearable version of A * Men, but is a better version somewhat by the opening of A * Men traditionally be stronger and more aggressive, but i missed most leather Doctor Mugler .
I do not suggest buying blind, even lovers of A*Men, as many will find little difference in scent, it´s a very nice version for me.

Radiation
Radiation

Is this a joke? No really, I'm asking as a serious question. I tried this just now on a spray strip and literally thought 'there's something terribly wrong with this particular bottle' so I actually went across the mall to another store and tested another sample on a spray strip. To my dismay and disgust it was the exact same scent I smelled previously. Let me start by saying I absolutely hate Amen. To me it represents everything that's wrong with fragrance. Projection that can knock a wall down, super sweet and candy notes that I personally find offensive on a man or a woman. And the kind of lasting power that permeates everything you own.
Now take all if that and add the scent of decaying meat and you've got pure leather. When I read the review below that describes this as an abomination I couldn't agree more. I was very excited to try pure havane and malt, now I'm worried that those are anywhere near this garbage. I can't find anyone who carries either scent so I'll probably never try them out after this experience.

Perf
Perf

Smelled this one today and I'm so glad I didn't blind buy this one. Anyone familiar with farming and the smell of horses will instantly recognize this funk.

chweintr
chweintr

This is not for the faint of heart - it might very well be the most radical fragrance on the market. You might think this is similar to A*men, but Pure Leather is loads more funky. It is really out there.

I will admit that when I first sniffed this one I was repulsed. I actually muttered something like, "are you serious?" under my breath... but it kept pulling me back.

I can see the notes listed above - but I don't really get those... even the leather note here-- I wouldn't exactly describe as leather... it is really rich, really complex -- the most dynamic of all Thierry Mugler fragrances I know.
I get a lot of scents from this that are not listed in the notes; after the initial shock - there's a wave of patchouli, a big wave -- this lasts throughout - To me Pure Leather also smells like cinnamon, caramel apple, pepper, ginger and something carnal, feral -- I think it is a sexy smell -- animal and sexual - not for the Faint of Heart. gets a little too sweet for me as it levels off- I could see myself getting addicted to that cracked opening though.
Problem is:
I don't really think I can wear this one - I can't think of a situation for this fragrance... definitely not a work scent... not a wedding or party scent... my wife things it's disgusting... so not exactly a date scent -- really, if not for that fact that my wife thinks it is nauseating, I could see this being a bedtime/sex scent...
guess this one will have to be a home alone scent after all.

marycon

At first spray i got 50% A men and 50% pure coffee. But 45 min later it really turns into A men with the tar note not as strong as the original and almost a hint of rubbery leather. Even though not a big fan of the original, i do like this one better. Nothing special as Pure Havane and Pure Malt. I tried hard to find this fragrance and now that i got it i have to admit.....not impressed at all.

gzalvares
gzalvares

Unfortunately a production that does not match the quality TM. Where's the leather? It is very discreet, disappears in the composition and becomes simply "Angel".
Oh my God! Sorry, I think you do not like to speak ill of TM!

sebjar
sebjar

I can't believe how much this smells like Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense Avignon or one of the others in the line but this is much much sweeter whereas CDG is much much cooler, darker and smokier. I'm getting lots of Incense from this perhaps it's burnt leather which is giving the smoky scent but I see what they're doing with the leather and it makes sense to call it leather. In the background I'm getting the original A*Men but it's hidden and it's having a hard time to come out. OK not too hard but I don't really get the A*Men here at least not up front. It comes out later lightly and more refined not as powerful as A*Men!

But come on you guys, stop complaining. This is Thierry Mugler's interpretation of Leather! It's not your leather! LOL!. I do like this! Glad I received the sample and perhaps i'll get it sometime soon!

mashka
mashka

My next favorite in line after Pure Malt! LOVE IT 153% ! It is almost the way your NEW Expensive Leather shoes smell if the leather would be soaked in the original A*Man. It may be a fetish I never had but it is very intoxicating in the best way possible!

baldheadjim
baldheadjim

From the initial blast I got a plastic leather vibe kinda reminding me of a room full of patent leather shoes. One good puff of this stuff is enough to fill a room. Unfortunately I started with two (one on each side of the neck) which gassed me out for at least an hour. After settling down the fragrance picked up a very sweet honey caramel note with lingering whiffs of patent leather. A very weird combination that did not wow wife, sister in law, son, or me.

Francop
Francop

I love this leather variation of the classic A men.

The leather note is very noticeable from beginning to end and provides a comforting aura in the current autumn/winter season.

Excellent longevity and sillage after 3 sprays on my chest.

Big thumbs up!

onlineallday
onlineallday

Smells more like a rawhide than a refined leather. Disgusting initially before it becomes just another A*Men in disguise. Disappointing nonetheless.

carpdragosandrei
carpdragosandrei

No leather in here that my nose can detect. Just a toned down version of the original A*Men. Come on Mr. Mugler, we are not as idiots as you think.

jasonx
jasonx

And I don't understand all the bashing about this scent being similar to A*Men. To my nose it is not, not at all! When it hits the skin, I can smell the cherry vibe of Malt as well as the chocolate powder. And 5 minutes later, the chocolate turns into...well...leather. The leather is strong, polished, salty and luxurious. It is like you open a new leather or should I say suede wallet and put your noise directly to it. The A*Men vibe, the sweetness is very faint just to keep the leather smell from unwearable.
It's 2.5 hrs since I apply the fragrance and the leather is still very strong. The chocolate sweetness begins to takes over now
Maybe it will turn into the A*Men base eventually. We'll see

This case remind me of how Pure Havane was said to smell identical to Malt when it first came out but in fact they are two very different scents

Smyle12
Smyle12

Grottola, that's because A*Men actually IS now a tad bit weaker...

Grottola
Grottola

Leather? What leather?

I'm sorry, but I smell absolutely no leather whatsoever in this. It just smells like A*Men, except maybe a tad bit weaker.

kavi

Right! I gave my sample a few days wearing to see where I stand with this flanker. I have many opinions about it; if you are looking to buy it, hopefully something here may click and sway your decision.

Firstly: This is the CLOSEST flanker to the original A*Men for sure, but this is not to say that PL and A*Men are the same, there are differences, which, to me were significant.

Secondly: The leather note is not the leather you get from sniffing the inside of your wallet or belt or expensive leather manbag. This leather, as another reviewer put it, is like tarry black suede, like a really overworked leather, kinda raw/animalic and naughty. To me, this note stuck all the way from the beginning to the end. To me, it was CRAP!!

Thirdly: For some reason, this had a really harsh, tarry, incensy opening, which almost made me think of hating the original A*Men, but luckily, I sprayed A*Men on the other arm and I soon made myself relax. I got this harshness, Im guessing from the tar note and the leather note in combination with the patchouli. This stuck all the way into the dry down, getting lighter as it went (but the notes themselves stayed). This was CRAP!

Fourth: All of the above equated to a smell that resembled A*Men but with this not so nice/sweaty (kinda fake) leathery note that stuck all the way into the dry down, giving it a really crappy dirty incensy vibe which to me was very off-putting. This to me really made me dislike this flanker.

Fifth: Good points was its longevity, it was almost up there with A*Men, I got 12 hours on my skin. Projection was more on the average side, having a >3 foot bubble in the initial 3 hour mark and then really calming down to within a ft to a ft and a half, and in the last 3-4 hours, it was a skin scent.

Overall, I sniffed this fragrance without any expectation, and from the word go, I knew this was not a winner in my eyes. I have two samples, one of which I have finished now, Ill give it another wearing in the winter, but for now, I will not buy a full bottle, even if it is only £40, it is definitely not to my preference. My final recommendation is that you try it out, my taste will not be the same as yours so you may love this, just like a lot of people do, but for sure, sample before investing in a full bottle, I did, and I am sooo glad!

VanAllan
VanAllan

Sitting in front of my computer 1hr. after testing this with a generous shot on my wrist. I was very curious to try this as I'm not a fan of original A*Men but I just love B*Men and ToF. This so called 'leather' edition I simply cannot classify as Leather, because what I get from it is a sweet-milky-suede poured on top of a smoother A*Men, that intensify the caramel and patchouli notes. Oriental-sweet-gourmand I guess.
I also think this flanker is the closest related to original, so for now I'll pass but who knows, maybe some colder day will do better justice for this. 7.7/10 for now. Later edit: got a big sample to test it further...still not for me. ☣☣☣

adesoprano
adesoprano

I was searching for a fragrance for my boyfriend, and the sales lady recomanded me this one. I was stunned! It is the most beautiful perfume I have ever smelled. I sense a powdery leather mixed with incense (even if this note is not listed) and vanilla, and just a hint of patchouli. I reminds me of L'air du desert morocain, but sweeter. In my opinion this fragrance works very well for females also - so I will buy it for myself!

Kharnak
Kharnak

Had the oppurtunity to try this out.
I'm impressed. It's on par with the rest of Mugler's eccentric foody line.
Spicy Patchouli, peppery chocolate, like you're all familiar with.
It smells JUST like A*Men, but with a top note of fresh tarry black suede. Like an expensive handbag or boots.
It lasts a LONG time, well into the next day, and the leather note never fades.
It's not terribly complex in subject and composition. But genius in its accuracy.

mersilover84
mersilover84

I was going to buy another bottle of A*men as I'm on my last quarter of a bottle. This will definitely suffice. It smells just like A*men but better in my opinion. It starts out a bit more harsh than the original, but after a few minutes it really smoothes out into a more refined version of the original.

hundci
hundci

They did take out that tar note in the original frag and replace it with leather, but, the leather note is not exactly what one would expect.it's more like a Very dusty leather, and for a while it dominates the composition just too much. Still a good frag though, but dont go for a blind buy, or you might be left wondering what the rave was all about.

Keroffin
Keroffin

I noticed a department store had the full range of 'Pure Leather' fragrances, the Angel I sniffed seemed to have the more realistic 'just pulling on a new leather jacket' type smell...

The A*Men version I sprayed onto the back of my hand, OK at first but later started to cloy a bit and I didn't like it at all...it starting to turn a bit 'dirty' and sickly-sweet, the only thing (and it sounds a bit gross) that I could liken it to is eating candy and then licking the back of my hand and letting it dry...gross! DRY SALIVA yuck!

I will continue with my A*Men original, Taste of Frangrance Chilli and Pure Havane (although I was told I stunk of 'Play-Doh'!)...must get Pure Malt from the Mugler website as it is back in production and cheaper than eBay!...everyone seems to rave about that one...

Mosschops
Mosschops

This is okay if you haven't already got a Mugler fragrance, but it's certainly not the best. A*Men Pure Coffee, Pure Havane and Pure Malt beat this one hand's down (in that order). I have the full range of Mugler frags, but this one - although nice enough - will be used the least (which includes the standard A*Men and B*Men - albeit this one is far better than Pure Shot!). PS: the bottle isn't as good as it looks, as it's just molded plastic.

kida2010
kida2010

Its such a shame, this could have been a total masterpiece, its not like i was expecting.
Even though it could be a true leather note it comes off smelling synthetic and a bit cheap, it's certainly there though for several hrs.
I'm not a huge fan of dirty english but by god that smells so much better, to me that almost smells more like real leather ironically!

I guess with this one it depends what their view on it was, to me the words "pure leather" should be pretty much that, but its basically the old A*men with a leather note added. Big woop, nothing particularly groundbreaking.
Its def one to try before you blow your big money on it.

$$
$$

I tried this at nordstrom and i dont like this!!! It smells like the main notes should only be caramel and leather P.U.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I know perfumes are a matter of taste. However, sometimes I read reviews and many of them are fairly worthless. Never what someone doesn't like when they dog it or what they do like when they praise it. I don't say this to be high and mighty but I read reviews to see what is the fragrance like.

So on to this one. I think this is a fragrance you must try on its own and see what you get. No this isn't a leather fragrance. Pure Havane highlighted tobacco, Pure Malt the boozy quality, this fragrance does not highlight leather and though I understand the frustration with the marketing this does not deem the scent itself bad. This should have been call A*Men Intense or A*Men Nuit or just something else instead of leather. Simply put leather is a component but no more important than any other note listed.

This is a BEAUTIFUL rendition of the original A*Men. The original is too loud, too busy, too sharp and too playful for me to where anywhere. This one...the leather comes in and curbs the notes that made A*Men so obnoxious to my nose and on my skin.

It opens with a soft (and yes synthetic but not bad) leather note. About 5 minutes the A*Men D.N.A kicks in; however, it is like I wearing Pure Malt blending with Pure Coffee, blended with A*Men...with a slight touch of leather. The patchouli is there, this chocolate note is there and a bit of coffee with a tinge of mint. It is quite milky.

My best analogy is to remember an old frat brother who was the wildest of the crew.....he meets a girl and she tames him..you see him 5 years later, he has a two year old daughter is working an 8-5....however, take him to Vegas or a bachelor party and some of that old frat guy is still lurking underneath. This is A*Men grown up.

Bruno2theV
Bruno2theV

I tried this one on my trip to London. I actually like it a lot. Reminded me immediatly of the original A*Men. The leather notes are easily noticed and gave this fragrance IMO a more mature touch. But after a few hours that I tested it, it smothed dowm to the original. And with a 10% discount on the purchase I dind't look back.

I actually dream that Mr. Mugler one day comes with the idea of an "A*Men Pure Chocolat". I would like it not to smell of cocoa like L'instant or Kokorico, but that it smelled like Dark Chocolate since it is the strongest of chocolates. It would be perfect for cold winter days :D. The bottle?I see this one and remind me of that.

Anyway I will give this fragrance as 8.5/10 and I will rank it number 4 (along with the original) in my top fragrances

Odiee99
Odiee99

Why did they go and tarnish my beloved A*Men? Surely they could have come up with some other idea. A*Men au Fraiche, Fleur De A*Men, A*men Pure Vanille, A*Men Aquamarine Summer Ticket L'eau Noir,anything but this. The leather note actually smells like the water repellent spray you use for suede shoes. As of now I am not a fan. I will give it a few more tries.

twlahue

I have only smelled this on paper,
on paper it smells like you just sprayed AMen on your dog-

there is a "dead animal" smell in there somewhere.

I will have to try it on my skin

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

Im not a fan of the original angel men but this is worse. In my honost opinion this is a*men with a synthetic plastic smell. I still smell the tar note with this weird like plastic shoe store vibe in the background. Not worth a purchase in my opinion. I would rather wear the original a*men over this. Pure malt and havane are still king of the pures. Gonna pass on this save my gift card for something else.

diego.cubillo
diego.cubillo

Meh. Tried Today, almost bought, it smells like watered down A*Men with synthetic leather thrown in, if you smell it by itself it's really similar to the original but if you compare them directly the rubbery smells jumps right at you, also I find on my skin projection being below average. I much Preferred the Angel Version, nicer fruity leather smell in my opinion. I'm on the fence with this one, I want to buy it because I know the price will sky rocket in some months. but I think it's OK, not a masterpiece of any sorts, I would take the aggression of the original any day. the only reason I would get it is for the whole hype it will get but that is not that Right reason to get a Frag... I'll wait and see. but so far I'm leaning more towards getting a bottle of Coromandel by Les Exclusifs de Chanel, maybe not a limited edition, but sure a masterpiece

Worth trying, but I'm not buying the hype so far

Scentrist
Scentrist

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening?

Plastics.

This is absolutely not a leather. It's a very synthetic, contrived, rubberized smell that is completely plastic and out-of-sorts with something that allegedly should be one of Mugler's 'limited editions', such as they are. Admittedly, I was intrigued by the thought of a leather fragrance, so when I had the opportunity to sample it, I'd hoped it would create the state of mind of a good leather scent -- the inside of a valise, a brand new Shell Cordovan loafer, a well-worn wallet or an old book-binding. Let's try the "none of the above answer". Cheap & cheerful? Try just cheap.

The experience goes horribly wrong from the first touch of the bottle, which is this gaudy plastic textured piece of not-even-trying-to-be-fake leather, surrounding the signature glass-protruding star. Not only is it trying too hard to be leather using something less than the aroma they use for car air fresheners, it's trying at every turn to be that brand of leather. Top? It's there. Heart? Here it is again. Annoyed yet? Not so fast, it's showing up once more in the base.

My expectations were slightly tempered knowing this was a mass-market fragrance, and that most of the budget for this would be blown on overhead, marketing and promotion, leaving very little for investment in the actual juice. How little? Apparently they didn't leave the perfumers with much at all, especially since they blew the budget on that 'fancy' bottle.

This is one to avoid like the flu, not at all worthy of being viewed as a limited edition unless you'd like something put to a quick and merciful end.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i love it.though it smell like the original...almost all variation have the similarities.. i love de cuir..at one particular point of transition in the notes..it actually smell like HDP 1740...i may even buy a second flanker...

GoodVibrations

This is a true gem of modern perfumery. That's the key: "modern" perfumery. Accept it on its own terms and it's a masterful work. A leather embrace protects the heart of this version of A*MEN, then laces its way through the caramel and chocolate rather than overpowering the usual A*MEN notes.

It's not supposed to be Cuir de Russie or Bandit or any other classic style leather fragrance, so there is no reason to compare them.

It is IMHO the best of the A*MEN lineup.

jonr951
jonr951

Leather, leather, and more leather. The edp's are strong but some how, some way, the men's edt is lasting longer on me. So bravo on that Mugler for sure! If you like leather or maybe have yet to add a leather fragrance to your collection, this one is absolutely perfect because it is all leather and the lasting power is really great! I really like it, but I like say, Bottega Veneta, a bit more so if I ever want to invest in a leather leather scent, it will be the Veneta. And this A*MEN definitely doesn't beat my favorites from the line. It is better than the Pure Shot, Pure Malt, and Taste in my opinion though. : )

dean.okoh
dean.okoh

Wow, really didnt like this at all. The leather note is very synthetic, almost rubbery. Its is very similar to the original A*Men but in Pure cuir the horrible synthetic leather note stays throughout. Not good. Pure Havane is still the best flanker in my opinion.

darrell743
darrell743

Did not like it. Chemical fragrance very similar to Pure Malt. Not much fragrance, very close. Just not my cup of tea.

EnPassant
EnPassant

Cheap thing!

The more I try all these "poor leather fragrances" the more I Iove and admire Cuir de Russie by Chanel.

Nothing more to say.

eightseven
eightseven

Smooth caramel, hint of coffee, and shoe leather. Great longevity and projection.

The leather note smells like a shoe store. (That sweet/plastic-y leather)

delricardo168
delricardo168

For those who live in the UK, I have just ordered Pure Leather from House Of Fraser online for £45!

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

Is this fragrance still available? It says its a limited edition fragrance according to the description, and if it is, can someone tell me which dept. stores sell it so that I could test it before buying it? I don't think my local Macy's carries it and I don't do blind buys. Thank you

babygurl72
babygurl72

I have a bottle of this for sale or swap. Check out my listing. Its a nice scent, but too masculine for me.

scotthan78
scotthan78

I do not like the leather note in this A*men flanker. It is not the leather jacket note you get from Tuscan Leather or John Varvatos Original. What you get is the smell of a cow skin, which is very animalistic but too harsh for my nose.

Jridgen
Jridgen

Since I went into my first sniff expecting A*Men I wanted to prime myself by smelling A*Men first. So I did.

I was surprised by how different it actually was. My first thought was, How are people saying this doesn't have a prominent leather note? My second thought, related to this, was, This reminds me of Cuir Ottomon.

It's not a in-your-face leather by any means like Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but the leather was quite noticeable in the same way that it is in Cuir Ottomon and to a lesser extent something like Midnight in Paris; that smooth delicate leather.

Surprisingly leather to me is met with an equal strong dose of coffee, as Redpula below me points out. His review is on the mark. I would venture to say this is more like a dryer Pure Coffee with an added leather note and an added overall smoothness. This brings me to the next point -

Of all the A*Men flankers, this is the driest. There is a still a smooth carmel sweetness in the background, but it is quite toned down compared to anything you will see in Malt, Coffee or Havane.

The last prominent note is mint, which lingers for quite awhile.

Still too early for sillage and longevity rating, but I am not worried about it with this one...

My one criticism so far: It could certainly stand to be less synthetic smelling; and it has a neutral "chemical" vibe the first hour or so.

My ranking

#1 Pure Coffee
#2 Pure Malt
#3 Pure Leather
#4 A*Men/Taste of Fragrance
#5Pure Havane (My least favorite)

Rating on smell alone: 4/5 - Solid overall, but it's not taking the top spot in this line.

Redpula
Redpula

Just two hours ago, I got at the post office a big shoe box containing my order of 100ml. Thierry Mugler A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir with a surprising total of 39 samples/spritzers of different perfumes.

First spray, It's Amen with mint, lesser tar. After 5 minutes, lo and behold, for those of you who can't find a Pure Coffee these days, here it is, manifesting strongly, for about 5 minutes. Then the leather slowly comes in along with the very smooth Amen fragrance. This goes on for about 30 minutes on my skin of which the projection is a beast, remarkable and non-cloying.

I sprayed this on my left arm and Yardley citrus and woods (Terre de Hermes copy indeed) on my left wrist, Alain Iquitos on my left back hand, Ferre Man on my right wrist, Loewe Escencia on my clothes (whew, impressive) and YSL Haute concentrate pour homme on my right arm. Wow fireworks everywhere but behold, Amen Pure Leather and Loewe E. are dominating wonderfully to my nose. All these new purchases were amazing but that would be for reviews to come.

Its been two hours now and the Amen original dry down is what I am smelling with Pure Coffee magically coming in and out. Leather is just minimal, on stealth as mint and chocolate (to simply describe what I smell) are very stable. This is well refined, so beautiful perfume that is just okay on summer nights, great to wear on fall and spring but definitely best on winter.

It's Amen done right, Amen done sexier and Amen that will draw compliments with its gourmand aroma but will make you smell more sophisticated compared with the original Amen which is a love/hate but one of the best dry down in my personal perfume experience.

I got 3 Amen big bottles on my wardrobe but this is worth keeping.

Again, this is Amen with less the loved/hated tar plus "brief yet very satisfying" Pure Coffee surprise comeback and Amen smoothly reinvented with the stealthy leather, what else can you ask for?

I personally love this fragrance compared with Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Coffee (the only flaw is longevity but far better in scent and dry down compared with Rochas Man and New Haarlem, of which both I have).

Now I can say that Pure Leather will be at the front line of my perfume wardrobe.

Buy, Try or Pass? For those who tested A*Men and is planning to buy a bottle, buy this instead.

For those who have A*Men, without a Pure Coffee, get a bottle of this. For those who have A*Men & not interested with Pure Coffee, then you can buy this on a sample (Surrendertochance have this) and up to you to decide if you want to own a bottle. As for me, a perfume collector, this is truly precious to hold and to wear for many years. A*Men for an outdoor cold days and Pure Leather for indoor occasions. This can be a signature scent, a date scent and a formal event scent. But don't wear this at work, unless wear with 1 spray only. That is all guys. Cheers.

Scent - 9.5/10

Sillage - 10/10 like A*Men

Longevity - I predict this to be 10-16 hours, even more.

AmoreProfumi

It has arrived!! Ugh this is truly something wonderful!! On my skin I immediately detect the leather a nice soft leather not so in your face but you know it's there, it smells like a*men while wearing a leather jacket. I'm saying nothing new then what others may have stated agreed it smells exactly like a smoother toned down version of the original, A*Men minus the pungent tar note && less patchouli, so yes out of all the A*men flankers this closest to the original. It smells quite sexxi too!, This will be perfect scent for those cold winter days it's so warm && inviting! I will give an update on longevity which I'm sure will be more then awesome! So I sprayed it on around 3:30 so far stills smells like when I first sprayed it but the more it's drying down the more I can detect the caramel mmmm!...will update tonight on how ling it lasted. :)

UPDATE: OK so it has amazing longevity && projection, but for me it's to close to the orig. && I already have that so therefore I don't need this...if anyone wants it, I will putting this up for swaps, first come first serve!! :)

UPDATE: ***SOLD!***

Xanovia
Xanovia

Smells wonderful and personally while I get the leather (not LEATHER like you would think by the name in the way of Aoud Leather by Montale or Tuscin Leather by Tom Ford but like the nice soft leather that you get in the dry down of Interlude Man by Amouage) from this I get more of a more refined and awesome version of the original A*Men of which I was already a big fan. I get a LOT more mint on my skin in the top and much less Patchouli then in the original overall as a whole. The Tar note (That I've always thought was just kinda there to make it more... you know... 'Manly'.) is gone but the fragrance is no less masculine at all, insted it is just much more friendly and inviting. Wow this is just an awesome smelling juice. My wife has always loved A*Men on me since the late 90s when I got my first bottle and I also have Pure Malt, Pure Havane, & Taste of Fragrance and she said this is now her favorite in the line. "Oh yummy... Now THIS is A*Men done right..." Her words, not mine. This stuff is just soooo g'damn smooth. All that being said I am still really confused by the name though. To my understanding they put the juice in with leather to get the scent but I just think they should have called it something different. "A*Men Pure Refinement" works much better for me.

grampz

And oh, if I can describe the leather note, it sort of reminds me of what i get in farenheint, to others that might not be the same but thats the best comparison i have so far for anyone who was wondering what they could expect from the leather note

grampz

It is a very nice, very smooth and refined version of the original. The leather note isnt dominating like people might expect however, it really balances out the tar, chocolatey/caramel, patchouli and musk accords, very well blended. I like this better than the original, if you had it and enjoyed that one alot, check this out for sure, if you didnt like the original, you could always try it but chances are you wont like it. You will be beasting when it comes to projection/longevity (it has been wroking for me) its a touch lighter than the original but its still up in youre face.Overall, if you are a true Thierry Mugler fan then this will work well in youre collecion, I like it enough that I will use much more than my other flankers so I dont use them all up. I give this scent an overall score of 8/10, this is my opinion, might not be for everyone or what they are expecting so of course, try before you buy

al1nonly

All a men flankers are must have. Even if its for all of them to look pretty together.

#Edt# Ok i have have received it and it is EXACTLY like Amen, glad my roommate has Amen and not me. No really i dont own the original Amen yet i own all the flankers. Just for the time being. in order,.. Pure Malt, Pure Chili/ Pure Leather, and Pure Havane (yes, its not that great no matter what people say the BEST dry down is by Pure Chili).

gqbredrin
gqbredrin

the very thing i don't like from A*men is not in this, + Leather. I'm so in.

unwrittencode
unwrittencode

This cologne has been released in Canada.
A bit disappointing.
95 % = Smells like original A*Men
5 % = Leather and some synthetic stuff
Decent Projection and longevity, but not what I was expecting.

In my personal opinion Thierry Mugler could have re-introduced Malt or Havane instead of this.

I bought it today.
It is released in one large retailer in Canada-see the forum post called "anyone tried A*Men Pure Leather", and there is a youtube video. See my review below
UPdate: it is really amazing, a smoother version of A*Men. I tried them side to side with A*Men and there is quite a difference. The Tar almost not there and it is really a great fragrance. I thought it was redundant at first, but its worth owning.

Dr_Spazmo

Bought this stuff today and sprayed tester on my hand before doing so. At first it was exactly like the original A*men. 5 minutes later it turned into something VERY different. It still has that A*men smell but I'm not sure what I am smelling. Could be the leather. Very harsh on the nose. Going to give it a couple more gos before I make up my mind on selling it.

al1nonly

I don't have original amen but I do pure chili, havane, and malt so I 100% going to add this.

EseveN
EseveN

The perfume was not released yet.
It will be released on September 7th.

micrtin

I tried it today, it is a limited edition. It is really similar to original A*Men but I find it smoother. The leather is somewhat present but not overly. I find it is a bit less sweet and at the same time the tar note that some find anoying is much less present. So it is smoother and better balanced to me than A*Men due to the leather note but, its not a all that present. It is not a dominant note in the fragrance, it is really similar to the original but has a little something extra, and less projecting. I was not able to compare the longevity with A*Men but I doubt it is as long lasting and projecting. If I didn't have A*Men I would certainly purchase it, I like a bit better but since I have A*Men, they were selling it $100CAD at the store I found it at, here in Canada, so I'll pass for now.

AmoreProfumi

Iam so tempted to try this!! && I love leather && A*men so this is so up my alley!! Only thing..come on! they couldn't think of a brand new unique bottle design like the others that was a little more masculine?!! Anyways I'm sure this will be quite nice introduction to his line Mugler never disappoints, come on October!! :D

p.s. I have the feeling this will be bookoo bucks! when its launched...O && agreed please Mr. Mugler can you release something new for men?!! it be nice just saying. :)

camposg
camposg

I hope this is the beast leather we have all been waiting for. I can't wait. 99% of what Thierry puts out is amazing. I trust him

carera
carera

i think its time of leather sent if u look this leather also theres new givenchy by leather and play intense leaher also charriol leather that mean the period of sport perfume finish and leather start boys .

How can you argue with the success of these flankers? Wouldn't you do the same thing if you could? Now about this kind of fragrance, here't the thing: They've found a way to create a softness (with their patchouli, vanilla, etc. base) without the use of florals (other than lavender, which is common in men's fragrances and has been for a long time, so it registers no worse than "soapy" to the non-aficionado). Not that this is any great accomplishment, nor are they the only ones doing it (Roadster is another example), but it clearly has found a niche (though it's clearly not niche, in terms of fragrances). I have found these fragrances boring (after a couple hours) or harsh/cloying (particularly A*Men with it's tar and sweetness), and want better note contrast (without the harshness), so I prefer Roadster, Everlast Original 1910, or Rose d'Homme for this kind of thing.

Also, leather was done very well in many vintage fragrances (several of which I own) and so I can't imagine this one being of interest to me. However, I can see this as being a kind of gateway to niche or vintage, for those who begin to get bored with the same drydown, one that is not especially interesting on any level. I would like to sample it, but I certainly wouldn't blind buy a bottle (though it will probably be sold on ebay at twice the Mugler site price at some point). So, if you have some extra money go ahead and give it a shot. I doubt it will be outright bad and you can stick your toe in the leathery water and see what you think. Then perhaps you'll want to try other leather fragrances.

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

I'm not saying it's bad but gosh I wish TM would release a new line for men. Don't get me wrong, I love A*Men but I'm so tired of the flankers and it wouldn't matter to me if he weren't such an awesome designer. Come on TM, give the guys something new...something REALLY new. Flame me if you must.

ZELJO
ZELJO

love when people buys a parfum based solely on the bottle design...

Dr_Spazmo

Wow, if those notes are true, then I made my decision on purchasing a bottle. Seriously, if any of the a*men flankers has caramel, vanilla, tonka, and coffee it will interest me. Even the mint, fruity notes and honey. My speculation is that he is fusing A*men, Pure havane, Pure Malt and Pure shot all into one but adding leather. Can't wait.

emmanuel.santana
emmanuel.santana

holly sh*t if only TM would let you pre-order this

OnlyTheBraveDonB
OnlyTheBraveDonB

Cant wait to get my hands on this one. The bottle is BEASTING.

junior halston
junior halston

Love that bottle design. Leather to A*Men sounds good it mat cut some go that sweetness which I complain that exist.

A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir by Thierry Mugler 3.66 out of 5 based on 386 ratings and 126 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of A*Men Les Parfums de Cuir by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.