Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1991 I had it: 258 I want it: 1234 My signature: 52

whiskey
A*Men Pure Malt Thierry Mugler for men Pictures

A*Men Pure Malt was created in 2009 in honour of traditional Scottish whiskey and its smoky, woody-spicy aromas. Result is a surprising composition which makes this fragrance elegant and sophisticated. A*Men Pure Malt is available as 100ml edt.

Last year's edition is A*Men Pure Coffee, a reinterpretation of the original A*Men, with an accent on coffee aromas. Top notes: fruity notes; Heart notes: woddy notes, malt; Base notes: oriental accords, smoky accords, peat.

Fruity Notes

Woodsy Notes Malt

Peat Oriental notes

A*Men Pure Malt Creation

A*Men Pure Malt Fragrance Reviews

Ryanmmas26

This to me is a classic and a must have if your a collector and/or a fragrance lover !

To me this opens up with a nice boozy night thats reminiscent of what a real expensive whiskey smells like without the alcohol mixed with a pleasant mixed berry smell mixed in. Once it dries down it has a very delicious honey,caramel,boozy,vanilla combo type of smell thats pretty much an exact replica of the angel men drydown minus the chocolate.

Id say this is a close 2nd to New Haarlem in terms of being my favorite gourmand !

This is also a great night out scent for going out in the cooler months.

Performance on this is excellent all around. It lasts anywhere from 8-12 hours and projects like a beast (with only 3 sprays) for 4 hours but is still detectable for 6 hours.

Id give this an overall rating of 8 out of 10 ! Its a great smell with great performance but still nothing thats blown me away like say an Aventus or New Haarlem

calculus314
calculus314

I respect the designer for presenting this fragrance as an artistic expression. At the same time however, usability will always be an important factor in owning a fragrance.

It's a great scent which other members here have described perfectly.

With that said, I feel the same way about Pure Malt as I do with Pure Havanne:
I like the unique scent, but do I really want to walk around smelling like this?

lynwood234

I love this cologne but I have learned that this cologne is great in all seasons except hot summer when we sweat.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

I wore the original A*Men on one wrist and A*Men Malt on the other today, and the results were very interesting.

A*Men Malt opens with the smell of those weird liquor chocolate cherries that I remember adults eating occasionally at Christmas. It's very sweet, and unlike the regular A*Men, where the fruit opening seems composed of multiple kinds of candied fruits, Malt is very decidedly cherry. Pretty soon an incense note starts in too, which is pleasant. The dry down, over the course of the day, is still very sweet and smells like honey.

I'm having trouble imagining this on a man, to be honest. It's really sweet, really candy-like, and it lasts all day, twelve hours, easily.

SimpleEffect
SimpleEffect

A bit overhyped in my opinion, the scent gave me a severe headache, might have oversprayed it? (3 sprays)

reboulenorellana
reboulenorellana

Este perfume es una obra maestra. Su olor es único, es un olor como a Whiskey, tabaco y fruta. Vale la pena el precio que se paga por el. Es muy sofisticado y para mi gusto el mejor que ha sacado Thierry Mugler.

laxm0nkey
laxm0nkey

Fantastic boozy fruity smell. Smells like bourbon without the obvious harsh alcohol smell. Garners a fair amount of compliments from my friends and my girlfriend. I would definitely tell people to check this one out. 2-3 sprays will get me for about 5 hours. Average longevity and arms length sillage. For some reason fragrances dont last long on my skin and this is no exception, but does last long enough for me to be happy with it. 4.5/5

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

This is one of the booziest fragrances I've smelt. Alternatively, I'd have to spritz myself with Glenfiddich to get close to this for an authentic Scotch vibe. And while I'm a fan of the single malts, I'm not sure I want to smell like I've just spilt Glenmorangie all over myself.

For me, the real issue with Mugler's Pure Malt is another distinct smell I detect in the mix. Unfortunately, it's a smell I associate with excessive drinking - whether it's Whisky or other alcoholic beverages. And that's the smell of vomit. I'm disturbed to admit I can actually smell barf lurking in the background of this blend.

My apologies to all you Mugler Pure Malt fans out there for this rather unsavoury review. Needless to say, this fragrance is not top shelf stuff for me.

musicman4931
musicman4931

Great cold weather scent. Definitely quality, last longer on clothes, be sure to get a spray to the shirt to last most of the day.

Nuhgwin
Nuhgwin

This was my first official blind buy purchase when I first started getting into the world of fragrances. After falling in love with the uniqueness of the Mugler house with A*Men, and seeing how loved Pure Malt was in the community just made me want it even more!

When my bottle of Pure Malt finally arrived, I ripped that packaging off quicker than Christmas gifts and sprayed it on my wrist. MAN, simply divine. Different from A*Men on MANY levels, but still a Mugler Masterpiece!

I get the hits of Berries & Whiskey, with that beautiful A*Men DNA. Think of A*Men, remove the tar opening and add whiskey and some berries. The berries linger throughout the fragrance as the malt note too while drying down to the original A*Men base with the whiskey still there.

Longevity & Projection are absolutely beast mode without being harsh on the nose to others or yourself. Definitely worth the blind buy, and definitely a gem in any collection.

SmutRavageur
SmutRavageur

I want to preface this review by saying that I like Pure Malt. I really do; I like it a lot more now than what I did when I first bought it.

When the Thierry Mugler online store brought back Pure Malt in 2012, I was ecstatic and immediately blind bought it. After all the hype and glorious reviews raving over this celestial, heavy heralded fragrance gurus-dubbed masterpiece, I had to have it.

It was November 2012, and the package came in; I vigorously extracted the Pure Malt bottle out of its accompanying box and excitedly applied the fragrance onto my wrists.

Berries and dark, refined and fruity whiskey. I liked it; I liked it a lot. I wore it every other day for a couple of weeks, and I came to the conclusion that the "like" was going to remain a "like", and even to this day it's a "like", but going into this fragrance with the expectation of a "love" left me soured for quite some time.

But now that time has passed and I've allowed my opinion of Pure Malt to temper and be absolved of previous lofty expectations, I can give it more of a fair shot.

It's solid, but out of all the flankers of A*Men so far (that I've tried; I never tried Pure Coffee and I never bought Pure Shot, which I hear shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath, and Pure Wood just released online the other day), it's my least favorite. That's not to say that it's a lesser fragrance, it's just that the others have higher marks in my eyes.

In terms of projection, sillage and longevity, it doesn't hold a candle to A*Men, which is kind of the standard that its flankers are compared to in terms of performance. On my skin, it dies out rather quickly. I give A*Men Pure Malt a B on the grade scale; a 7.8 on the 1-10 scale.

williamvargas

still wonderful after all these years.. I loved it then and I love it now. such a pleasing aromatic fragrance that always gets me compliments when I wear it.. From that song by LTD..
"BACK IN LOVE AGAIN".. and while still available on line, still a wonderful bargain. there are stronger fragrances or have better projection, or last longer that I have tried and own but as far as pure aroma, this is hard for me to beat this boozy, fruity , masculine scent. have not worn it in awhile, I just forgot how much I enjoyed this. this will always be in my top ten.. or at least I cannot imagine it not being.
I would really love to get a whiff of the pure malt creation.. just for curiosity sake. since it is not available state side the chances are slim that I will sample it soon.. I will just hope it is not a great difference.

jochris
jochris

help i badly want this one does anybody now a legit seller in ebay?

iziqism
iziqism

For someone who grew up playing Pokemon cards 14 years ago, this fragrance reminds me alot of new Pokemon trading cards fresh out of booster packs. A reminiscence of youth, raw energy and ambitions.

Insta-love. Insta-signature.

------------------------------------------------------
Updates: after several months of testing.

This is without doubt, one of the best smelling fragrance to me. But the longevity is a major letdown as it dies down within 1-2 hours on my skin. It has monstrous sillage in the first 20 minutes, but in the next 1 hour it leaves only a vestige of what was once great fragrance and dries down to nothingness. I have no idea whether I have gotten a different batch than those raving about its longevity; or it simply won't last more than 2 hours on my skin. I have tried several methods to make it lasts: putting body lotions; put it on my pulse points; etc. but failed.

My final ratings for TM Pure Malt would be:
Sillage: 9/10 (for the first 20 minutes)

Rafael Bruno
Rafael Bruno

The very best!

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

You shouldn't be happy with only 2 hrs of projection.

" The bar is set too low"

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I can add nothing new that hasn't already been mentioned. I love this fragrance and feel that is the best of the A*Men line - even Pure Havane. Pure Malt lasts 10+ hours on my skin and projects excellent for the first 2-hours and then moderately thereafter. The best part of vacationing up North is that I can wear this fragrance in the cooler evenings...and rock it once again!

goodluck28
goodluck28

This is my favorite fragrance so far.. I wear this whenever i go to clubs, And sometimes in school .. I get compliments everytime i wear this.. Girls love this scent.. This is kind of a mature scent.. 25 and above.. For me is a masterpiece.

YellowFlash
YellowFlash

I've wanted this one for awhile. I was amazed to find it at a local Belk for a mere $89 compared to the ridiculous eBay prices and you don't even know if they are legit.

The scent is unique and magnetizing. Whiskey and fruit with some woody notes sprinkled with a hint of oriental spice. It lasts and projects just right. I love this scent and I'm glad I can be a part of its fan base and own a bottle of my own finally.

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

Bought this fragrance as I love that boosy vibe it gives off. I haven't worn it much as I don't really think this is a summer scent for TX. I bought it because it is limited edition and I wanted it and was afraid it would be sold out by the fall.

My Rating: 8.5

chris.kragel
chris.kragel

A somewhat softer version of the original Angel*men with a sweeter twist engrained.
Upon first spray, Pure Malt (PM) comes across as quite severe and sharp. There are hints of coffee mixed with some honey and cocoa that arise sharply, before it settles into a sweeter-than-before mix of malt flavored coffee candy. It really is supreme. Think of it as Angel*men having a baby with Joop, and then soaking that baby in honey and cocoa for a few weeks and VOILA- Pure Malt.
Projection seems decent, as it is easily smelled a few feet away with a decent scent cloud. Longevity appears good as well, with over 8 hours even on my somewhat dry skin.
Spray recommendations: three sprays if you want to be generous- two on the chest, and one on the base of the neck, and you will be set all day. Do not overdo, or those around you might suffer the consequences due to its sillage!

Projection: 8/10 (fills a good space around for first few hours)
Lognevity: 8/10 (Just diminished from A*men- still 8+ hours)
Smell: 9/10 (Honey, coffee, cocoa- all mixed into one great, sweetened scent)
Versatility: 8/10 (More versatile than original A*men, due to its heightened aromatic and sweetness)

Nick M
Nick M

I really, really dislike gourmand scents; for some reason I just can't appreciate food & fragrance. I am burdened with my simple sniffer and destined to fill my cabinet with more fresh and safe choices than any one man needs. If ever there were a doorway into that foreign realm however, Pure Malt would be it. Though I cannot yet cross the barrier, this gives me hope that one day I can overcome.

saoudn
saoudn

just perfect

Highschoolrugbyboy64
Highschoolrugbyboy64

I like pure havane more because it isn't as mature as pure malt. Pure malt us more of a 25-40 year old mans cologne. It starts of weirdly fresh and boozy (my friend said it smelled like oranges) but then gets awesomely creamy and sweet with that caramel, vanilla dry down that is on the mature side! This cologne is for cooler weathers projection and silliage and solid while longevity is 24 hours long! Kinda for older men but anyone can pull it off. Just the girls at my age don't like it as much as calvin klein. :/

AndrewMoc
AndrewMoc

Its definitely taken some time for me to write this. I don't wear it as often as I initially intended, simply because I've decided early on that this fragrance is best suited for the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The opening is extremely sweet and caramelized. Its not smoky to me, or bitter, as one would suspect from a nice dry whiskey. It does however remind me of my hardcore homebrew days. When I was 18 I decided that if I couldn't legally purchase alcohol, I would instead purchase the ingredients to make it myself. The ingredients involved in making a beer are simply, malt, hops, yeast and water. There is a great amount of variety within each ingredient, and malt being one of them. The flavor scale of malt starts off very light and pale for a pale ale and heads all the way to a nice roasted dark malt used primarily for stouts and porters. But somewhere in between was my favorite flavor, and that was crystal malt. It was full bodied, sweet and damn full of caramel like flavors. I usually picked through my bag and chewed through a few on my way home from the home brew store.

That's what this reminds me of. Sweet caramel. Not however, a burnt oak laden whiskey one would expect coming from the marketing.

Its great nonetheless, full of originality yet could easily lump itself into a crowd of cologne air without offense. It doesn't project in a beast like mode, but it does certainly last. The dry down as many have already pointed out is one of a kind and truly delightful.

If you're looking for the perfect sweet scent to match your whiskey or beer drinking personality, this is surely a safe bet. One of my favorites.

7.5/10

daynierds
daynierds

what can I say about this?...simply a masterpiece I am sure 8 out of 10 persons would like..it smells nice, high-end and will get you a few compliments for sure...I do believe is a must have if you are into fragrances...it is a really well-done one...good to have it..I can now understand better the hype....and yes...it deserves it!...projection is moderate to good for the first 3-4 hours...longevity I could clearly smell in on my skin 8-11 hours after

and yes...for those who cannot get this one...you may try animale animale..it does it good for the price and contains lot of similarities to this one together with the original Aman and pure havane...however..it will not be so high-end like this one for sure!

Bcshak
Bcshak

I liked this one. Reminded me of Caramel apple. It's sweet and has massive longevity and sillage. Not something I'd wear to the office but would work for casual days in the colder months.

halftwintowers
halftwintowers

What do I smell? Apples, plums, and berries caramelized with honey and stewed in whiskey. I absolutely love the top, mid, and base on this fragrance (after a couple of wearings, i'm glad to say that the patchouli isn't as aggressive as A*men). I'm not sure if this will garner many compliments considering that the SA in Macy's tried telling me that I was too young "for such an old smelling fragrance." I believe 27 is a good age for this fragrance, but when did they start selling fragrance according to your age? I get at least 8 hours with 3 hours of good projection. This thing lasts forever on clothes...at least 12 hours.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

a disappointment for me personally..if you really think about this scent ... what is it ? how does it smell ? Does it smell nice or does it smell like something particular ? The answer is no and No... It's not nice smelling imo, it's not 'special' smelling....it's a lot of leaning on the original A-men success...but that's it... for folks on a tight budget who want to try this one, don't blind buy...i think it's way too hyped through it's ancestor A-men (hope my english is still ok...sorry if not) I smell liquor and not a lot more and assuming some will like that phase it doesn't last long enough to say ok i'll buy it...way overrated if you're into the real stuff (whatever that may be ! lol )

FrozanKaos
FrozanKaos

Smells like rotten fruits and drunkenness, after had it for more than a month I can finally decide that this one is not for me. by the way I love Pure Havane..

Dre416
Dre416

I love Pure Malt! If I had to choose between Pure Malt or Pure Havane, Pure Malt is the clear winner.

Erikkkk
Erikkkk

Release the Krakren. There a beast inside this bottle, well not too much to say about this hype: put me inside of whisky barrel with red berries and be happy.

Tweleve
Tweleve

I just got mine in the mail today, which I purchased on a blind buy based off the research I did. This thing is ABSOLUTELY an amazing buy. I've been reading some negative reviews saying this is purely a hype monster and the only reason it sells is because of viral marketing, but I beg to differ. This is masculine, intriguing, and all around very enjoyable. The "boozy" aspect of it is gone quick, which I am happy about since I don't want to give off the impression that I've been at the bar all day, but you do in fact get that malt and whiskey flavor in there. For anyone on the fence about this fragrance, I'd definitely recommend it even on a blind buy, and this is speaking as someone who is weary about Thierry Mugler products

Ryanmmas26

As much as I like this cologne not too many people in my world like it as much as I do which causes me to only wear it for personal enjoyment.

To me this smells boozy,a little fruity,herbal and slightly creamy. It honestly smells like a creamy drink you might get from a bar. Its perfect for the fall as well :)

But like I said ive worn this and most people didnt really care for it so its not something I reach for that often.

The performance for this is pretty beastly tho as I get 10-16hrs with this and with only 2 sprays. Be careful with this because it projects like a beast only with a spray or 2.

All in all im going to give it a rating of 6.75. I want to give it a better rating because I like the scent. I honestly cant give it better marks because people just dont seem to care for this.

deanyunuss

it's not easy to get it here in my country,unlike A*Men. I have B*Men which i love.

mikedvd5588
mikedvd5588

Sangat sulit di temukan di indonesia. Harus import dan i hate waiting :(

Belvedere
Belvedere

This is a good masculine scent. No one that has smelt this on me has picked out the whiskey note, just sweetness and alcohol. Try before you buy as a little over hyped on here. Great longevity and good projection but if your main aim is a compliment getter you may have to pass on this

jimmyo1
jimmyo1

Sweet fumes of whisky barrelled in oak cases.
succulent and foody pleasure.
Amazing dry down laying softly on the skin with a tempting essence of fruitiness.
Love this truly.

ReidyBo
ReidyBo

If any whiskey smelled or tasted this good, more people would have more vices. Starts out really "liquor-y" and fruity (herp), inserting itself into your nose like the breath Grandpa has after drinking his "Cough Medicine". Although not as smooth as I would have expected with all le hype, the caramel dry down that arrives after a small mid that just sort of lets everything mellow out is quite decadent. Reminds me a bit of the Irish Cream dairy free creamer, if someone poured out half the creamer and poured in some whisky. With moderate projection and moderate longevity, it's not a bad product at around $29/fl oz. Plus, if you live in the miserable heat of the South, it will last you two years or more.

Chuckphilpott

MASTERPIECE. IF YOURE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS STOP THINKING AND BUY.

tenortelfer
tenortelfer

Really enjoyable fragrance.It has a lovely rounded,warm sweetness to it,which is really intoxicating!

Laurdess
Laurdess

This is what every 23 yr. old boy has WAY to much on here. Not only is this not my taste AT all, its so strong that 3 sprays with this one and you are in the bug repellent range. I do know MANY people love this smell, I personally think it smells like hippies or incense.

weaselize
weaselize

I can not understand the hype about these mugler scents. I had pure havane and pure malt, both bought them blind after being infected with the brainwashvirus after al the raving reviews about these colognes.
People in my surroundings in general didn,t like them.
These are really heavy overpowered chemical bombs, the performance of these muglers is overpimped to a level that,s not enjoyable anymore, even with 1 spray.
I can see a big difference in tastes between American and Europeen people. It seems like American people are hooked up to these kind of scents. Gourmandish type of scents make me wanny puke. Why do people want to smell like food??
I gave these muglers several changes to wear but i just can,t bear it.
I can understand for the youngsters to wear this though.
For me a giant pass

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

Outstanding scent I just love wearing this scent on cold days...it's intoxicating. When I first bought this I would smell myself every half hour enjoying the dry down. I strongly recommend this incredible flanker.
I kind of like the love hate remarks of the original, I do get compliments from Pure Malt however not like the original scent gets. When I first got it I was very impressed with it and kind of thought women would be all over this scent but not so much. I've received comments like it's ok... I like the other ones you wear better? I was surprised I couldn't understand how anyone couldn't like this scent.
The only downside PureMalt has IMO is after the dry down is said and done I feel I'm left with one scent "caramel" I think or like a "caramel coffee" kind of thing going on which I like. But the dry down totally rocks out with the boozy notes slowly fading over a period of about 3 to 4 hours! Then I get an extremely slow fade after that and wake up in the morning with trace amounts still going...

champykilo
champykilo

This should have been made for women to seduce men.cuz it does catch our attentions. Wished projection was a Lil stronger but that's a good fragrance.

papito28
papito28

After reading amazing things about this juice, i blind bought it.

Scent 10/10
Last 8/10
Projection 7/10 This is painful for a TM fragance.

Im not so happy with it because of the projection but after all is good scent.

Icucino
Icucino

If you don't like smelling sexy,sophisticated and fun at the same time,you should avoid this fragrance at all costs. It's so sexy I've got a couple of indecent proposals while wearing it (LOL). Although it's boozy and whimsical it's neither silly or tacky. It's great for a night-out, for a romantic dinner or just hanging out at the bar. Projection is very good but not beast mode and longevity on my skin is TERRIFIC (12+ hours!!!). Compliment factor on this one is so high that you should avoid this if you're kinda shy...People WILL stop you and ask what you are wearing.
p.s. Already ordered a second bottle as I only have about 10 ml left.

Chuckphilpott

Fell in love with this perfume right away. Chose this over A*men. It's my 2nd fav fragrance behind the underrated midnight in Paris. This smell is just beautiful. Can't wait to get pure havane.

vicente.zacatenco
vicente.zacatenco

Debo reconocer que cuando lo usé por primera vez el aroma inicial me recordó mucho al de Animal Animal, el cual también tengo. Pero ese aroma fuerte y un poco dulce se va suavizando a tal grado que a los 10 minutos cambia totalmente para ser un aroma un poco mas relajado y agradable. Si les gustan los aromas un poco dulces, es una buena opción. En mi opinión destaca el aroma a piña y frutas. El aroma a whisky realmente se va desvaneciendo durante las primeras dos horas.. y después el aroma que queda en la ropa es excelente. Totalmente recomendable

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

After trying out Thierry's overhyped female fragrances, (hint: I ended up unimpressed and formed a bit of a disdain for them) I was hoping this designer would change my mind about his scent designs and he did. For one, this fragrance doesn't smell elegant nor refined, it didn't strike me as a Prince Charming sort of smell nor the scent of a sporty hoity-toity type guy. But, it did have personality which I found pleasant.

It gave me the vision of a guy who sweated it up chopping down that ol' cedar for the fireplace to warm you up from the cold himself but also left some cherries soaking in brandy before setting out to pick you up for your date. A kind of guy who enjoys and provides simple creature comforts without feeling a need to be eloquent about it. And that is OK. It's a visual I can use to sum up what I caught from this fragrance, very sweet but certainly not prissy.

For the record, I will state that I have yet to smell this ON a man. I actually had to experience this fragrance on MYSELF because my beloved wasn't near me while I was at the fragrance counter. I was liking the scent from the bottle and it seemed to want to soothe my wounded nose from its obnoxious sisters, Alien and Angel...so I went ahead and spritzed. It smelled as if it could be unisex due to the sweetness in it but there were more masculine notes to make that unlikely. Those of us that are Two-spirited have a way of being able to pull off those fragrances well, so on my own body chemistry, it left me pleased and with a change of heart for Thierry's creations. So if it smelled this lovely on me, I can only imagine how it could be on someone with testosterone.

Nicely done.

bandarsaadseed

Pure Perfume tended Terry Mugller perfume magnificence in terms of the beauty of the smell and consistency of the fragrance and Vouhana
MY RATING perfume:
Persistence: 10/10
Alfohan: 10/10
Smell: 9/10
I hope you experience the fragrance before buying a sample taken from him and give him a chance before you judge him quickly

عطر بيور مالت من تيري موغلير عطر روعه من حيث جمال الرائحة وثبات العطر وفوحانه
تقيمي للعطر :
الثبات:١٠/١٠
الفوحان:١٠/١٠
الرائحة:٩/١٠
ارجو منكم تجربة العطر قبل الشراء وأن اخذت منه عينة اعطيه فرصة قبل ان تحكم عليه بسرعه

SirCharles

THIERRY MUGLER, LISTEN UP! As long as you keep making this fragrance, I'll keep buying it! Absolutely amazing stuff.

ghent32
ghent32

I am struggling with this one mightily. My collection now reaches 48 bottles. I an a huge fan of A*Men, and over the past 6 months I've heard this rage over Pure Havane and Pure Malt, so I bought Pure Havanne, and received Pure Malt as a gift over Christmas. I like Pure Havanne, I just knew I would, LOVE the cherry. Anyway, I just cannot get in line with Pure Malt. The top Whiskey note is really off-putting to me. I have tried to wear it twice, and I have yet to click with it. I've had many fragrances that didn't work for me initially, but then at some point did. I have never swapped fragrances before, but I would like to with this one. It was just opened 1 month ago, and is 98% full. I don't see myself liking this one.

openingday
openingday

At first, the alcoholic/boozy smell was overpowering and overwhelming. I thought it was terrible. After a few minutes, however, the booze toned down and became a smokey malt balanced with a a sweet fruity caramel. at first the fruity scent smelled exactly like cherry ChapStick, but was pleasant nonetheless. One of the most pleasant fragrances I have ever smelled. One spray lasted 6 hours on my wrist. So good.

C@nn@r
C@nn@r

Let me start off by saying I had not heard or every seen this fragrance before. One day I walked into a Macys and I saw this bottle next to the original A-men. I will say upfront I do not like A-men. I find the opening repulsive and the dry down to smell like burnt chocolate and bad coffee grounds. However, Pure Malt caught my attention from the start!

It opens with a fruity boozy blast. The opening smells like a bowl of mature sweet mixed fruit with expensive scotch poured over the top. The sweetness is not a sugary sweet however. It is more of a liquor sweet.

The cologne slowly drys down and takes on a slightly woody earthy undertone. Let me explain. The earthy aspect comes from the peat used to produce scotch. It does not smell like earth but the peat smell adds a deep rich quality to the cologne. The woody notes smell like the casks that scotch is aged in.

Throughout I smell the malt which gives it the boozy quality and the spices which round out the cologne. I usually only can detect the opening which quickly turns into the dry down. For the most part I consider it fairly linear but the smell is so amazing that I enjoy it as is. If anything I wish the opening lasted a bit longer and the sweet fruit blast is carried throughout.

The longevity and sillage are definitely better then normal. The cologne does not fill a room or even leave a scent trail. Instead it radiates out to about arm length. As the cologne heats up on skin it takes on a rich seductive smell that captivates the wearer and those around. The longevity is great however. On skin it lasts well over 10 hours. On clothes, if not washed, it can last more then a day.

My skin is dry so I tend to get worse performance from cologne in general. I tend to spray one on chest, one on front and back of neck, and one on my shirt. This cologne is great for fall, winter, and possibly spring. However, it can be worn at night all year round. It can be worn casually as well as for going out.

In my opinion this is truly a masterpiece and I highly recommend this to everyone that is in to fragrances. One note on price. I had no clue this was discontinued and was hard to find and expensive. I found it on Amazon Prime for only $78. It is definitely authentic because I registered it on their website.

Sillage: 8/10
Versatility: 9/10
Overall: 10/10

SenseOfScents
SenseOfScents

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

SUBJECTIVE

Imagine a small wooden bowl covered with the scent of A*Men’s base, and inside which lie several old apple slices and many fresh raspberries. This bowl is what a spray of A*Men Pure Malt engenders. While quite a different fragrance from its parent A*Men, it has, as Marc (Youtube’s Robes08) says, the unmistakable “Angel Men DNA.” This one is a lot sweeter, a lot tastier. While supposedly a cologne among spirits, it hardly resembles the odious stench of alcohol. The note of malt combines with the fruity accords to produce a seductive, delectable fragrance.

Hailed by many fragrance enthusiasts as (one of) the top men’s fragrance(s), in the designer realm at least, it will make even the loneliest men the subject of adoration (by women particularly). Choose this one when you feel confident, because despite its guaranteed attention-grabbing ways, this one will easily lose its charm with repeated use.

OBJECTIVE

Whereas A*Men does not take its time in transitioning from top to bottom, Pure Malt has a delicious top that projects throughout its longevity. It delivers a strong projection for a solid 12 hours with two sprays to the chest, one to the neck, one to the scalp and one to the shirt. While A*Men is very loud towards those in its presence, A*Men Pure Malt’s performance is best known for its sillage. Its scent trail is long but is not necessarily overpowering, allowing Pure Malt to be worn throughout the year, though more modestly in the heat.

IMPRESSION

A beautiful, universally attractive blend of sweet, fruity, whiskey and woody notes, Pure Malt is truly a prize that belongs on the shelf of any fragrance enthusiast. Reach for A*Men for a masculine and daring impression on your audience, but grab A*Men Pure Malt when you seek to bless your audience with an alluring scent from the heavens. Reserve this one for special moments, especially since it seems to easily lose its flare (to you and to those around you) when worn frequently. Interestingly, many reviewers have found success with applying both A*Men (for its potency and masculinity) and A*Men Pure Malt (for its sensuality and seduction).

PLAN

Since it has been discontinued, its price online is likely ridiculously inflated. Because it is so nice, it will be worth it if your collection contains “niche” bottles that are also expensive. If however, your collection contains less than ten bottles, leave it out of reach especially since it is not terribly versatile. If you do happen to stumble on it for less than $150, then blind-buy it without hesitation. ★★★★★

Joeyvice
Joeyvice

You're casually walking into a night club alone, on your way in you see a bunch of tools and juice headed idiots. You can smell their uninspired cloud of Acqua Di Gio, and One Million like the unholy dinner your neighbor in the apartment above you cooks every Thursday night, it's foul, obnoxious and in your face, but you play it cool, you've got an ace up your sleeve, you're wearing Pure Malt. You walk past all those wannabe's who are dying to impress girls far too intoxicated to consent as they drink their Michaleob Light and Dos Equis, that's when you see her. Tucked away in a corner with her friends drinking cosmos is a perfect 10, and you've got the confidence to approach her. You make a B-Line in her direction, and the heads of women everywhere begin to turn as they catch a whiff of your super bad ass fragrance, they stop dancing with whatever douche bags they're with and all begin to follow behind you, some taking off their panties in the process so that they may throw them in your direction. Guys are getting pissed off, but you don't notice, nor do you care. The crowd parts, similar to the way Moses parted the sea, and the perfect 10 finally looks up from her drink in your direction, you close in with about a foot between the both of you, and you look her right in the eyes and say "Sup?" She goes weak in the knees from the olfactory orgasm that Pure Malt delivered to her nostrils just a half a second after a word left your mouth. Right then and there she takes off her clothes, she can't control herself and has to have you this very moment, and you're like "Sure." So it's going down, and all those girls who were following you are forming a line to jump your bones next. The music stops playing, and everyone just starts cheering you on, a few dude's head's explode from shock, but the casualties are minimal. After you're done with all the women in the club they give you their numbers and they're like "Call me!", and you say you will, but they know you wont. That my friends, that is Pure Malt.

sugarcane
sugarcane

I wanted this so bad because of all the hype and good reviews I've seen. Honestly, I do not like this fragrance very much. I can't really explain why. The drydown is nice, the opening is not. I don't feel the drydown is nice enough to keep the fragrance though. I feel many other colognes are better than this one. It is OKAY in my opinion.

Ivan22
Ivan22

Caramel and caramel, and a bit of malt. I like it, it's different and sweet

iammyping
iammyping

If You like a*men, and various spin-off of this particular fragrance, You will propably enjoy this one as well. For me it is a no go. I love sweets as much as the next guy, but it is totally different to eat a candy and smell like one. I can stop eating candy when my sweet tooth has enough, but after applying A*Men Pure Malt, there is no running away. Sweetnes, some more sweetnes...and just to suprise You- MORE SWEETNES!Just...test it toroughly before ordering.At first sniff it is nice, but may eventually cause nausea.

Jay T
Jay T

Je n'ai pas vraiment détecte whisky de cela, mais je aimé l'odeur de caramel. Cependant, j'ai été heureux de découvrir que ce vraiment un parfum d'hiver. C'est resté proéminente même dans le froid, et quand je suis rentré à l'intérieur pour se réchauffer, j'ai reçu un joli parfum de cola sucré.

Teahupoo
Teahupoo

Guys, this is a secret scent for the cold...nobody else will have it and it smells sooo good...caramel, fruits and whiskey!

You can wear this at the office, clubs, formal occasions, you name it...

Compliments left and right. A Buy!

naaym.agecra
naaym.agecra

Mmmmmm... I love this! This perfume makes me weak.
*wink*

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

My sister bought me PM at Macys Miami, but by the add online I thought it was the new/recent 2013 version, but it is not. Is there any news about a reformulation of this Limited Edtion from 2009? I like it but it seems very close to Pure Leather, which I also have.

fdelval
fdelval

Boozy like fragrance, reminds me of beer, a sweet beer. I don't like beer yet I still like this smell.

Looking forward to receiving my A*Men to layer both to boost it. Did some mixing when sampling and smlled great.

Definetively a going out scent if mixed with A*Men, good proyection, sillage and longevity. (Use A*Men carefully, 2sprays of A*Men + 3 Pure malt for open spaces in winter)
Fine-tune it for yourself in summer and when used in closed spaces!!

Quite a daring scent if used alone, it will surely gather some compliments because of his unique smelling.

effect18
effect18

Picked up my Pure Malt last week at Macy's for $90. Seems they've reissued it. Smells great. Love the creamy malt dry down. Projects well, and I've yet to have anyone tell me that they didn't like the way it smells. My only gripe would have to be with the bottle. It's rubberized "canister" design is annoying, and the trigger is a pain to press. Otherwise I love it!

amir68
amir68

I really appriciate and love this frag. Its gorgeous scent. I`ve seen this one on a site called Nordicfeel here in Sweden!! Round 60 USD after discount!!! Some says this one has been discontinued/ hard to find and if you find it then the price will be high...this and that..!! I`m wondring, are there fake Pure malt circulating out there now..!??

Sincerely yours

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

A curious flanker to the original, and more than a decade after the fact. Pure Malt smells good, but it is far more conventional and "safe" than I want it to be. The top accord (which essentially lasts for hours) is a bright, apple-like malted note, a bit fruity, fresh, sweet, with sugary facets. One could say it smells quite "malted," in fact. I used to be a single malt whiskey connoisseur, and I don't think Pure Malt approximates the scents of the good 12, 16, or 18 years I've smelled. You don't get the nose of any whiskey here. Instead, this smells like malt liquor (i.e., "malted" beer). It is pungent, sweet, a little fizzy. Odd take on the malt idea, but nice enough.

Eventually the base dries down to a tonka-vanilla essence not a million miles away from Allure Homme or Joop! Jump. Still no whiskey. Still nothing exciting here. A pass for me, but do try it if you want another variation on the fresh-ambery theme.

mofojo74
mofojo74

my girl always says she loves angel men,but only after the opening burnt chocolate has dried down,i personally love it,but she says amen is amazing when it has dried down,if they lost the bitter chocolate it would be her fav!! well here it is...pure malt!! the d.n.a of pure T.M is all through this,it is more wearable and group friendly too,i dont really get the whisky,but i get a warm wintery fruity opening then the malt,then the familiar thierry mugler aroma i know and love,it is a very wearable addictive scent,gourmandish too,personally i feel,like all amen flankers,it is a winter cold weather scent,but not as cloying as amen original!! i love what i call 3d scents that change as you wear them and this is one of the best,being a fan of dark and intense scents,this is a mixture of a fruity fresh opening with a lovely warm dry down,a little overhyped,but worth tracking down certainly...7.5/10

Jason Harrison
Jason Harrison

The ladies go weak at the knees and holla when they smell this piece de` resistance. Took 9 seconds at the bar to get the first compliment.

Masterpiece.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

A note on the marketing of this fragrance: It is apparently inspired by Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (without an "e"), specifically produced from the Laphroaig distillery. These Malts have traits of smoky ash, charred wood, earthy peat and are extremely pungent, as a Laphroaig drinker of some 20 years I can say with confidence that there is no similarity between that Whisky and this fragrance. There is no earthy smokiness here, no peat, so that marketing is merely a commercial gimmick. In all fairness to the TM house, their gimmick was a commercial success and consumers bought into the concept. Nevertheless, I remain objective and I don't buy into marketing nonsense or silly bottle designs. For me, it's all about the juice.

Now, about the fragrance- I love it. I get a lot of rich boozy Malt, Bourbon Whiskey (American), fruits (berries), woody oakiness and some gourmand chocolate/caramel notes reminiscent of the Original A*Men. That's what Pure Malt is all about for me in a nutshell, it is extremely pleasant, lasts a very long time and women like it. I recently purchased my second bottle so I clearly enjoy it immensely. It is a good scent for going out drinking with the guys, that kind of thing... Not too formal, more of a fun scent. It smells even better amidst the smell of drinking real booze/Whisky/cognac, probably in the same respect as Pure Havane smells better amidst the smell of cigar smoke. Anyhow, for the scent of Pure Malt, I give it full marks! (I also like the design of the box.)

RogerJr17
RogerJr17

This is supposed to be one of the most sought after fragrances in the fragrance community today. It has mass appeal. The smell itself is unique. Having said all of that, I will tell you why this is one is NOT worth your money.

Caught your eyes yet? Good.

Pure Malt is a flanker to the original A*Men by Thierry Mugler. A*Men is a beast and it just downright performs. Some would say A*Men is one of the best designer frags of ALL TIME. They wouldn't be wrong.

Pure Malt has been hyped up from everyone to Basenotes reviewers to your favorite Youtube reviewer. I'm going to break it down for you guys so you can see why I think this is a waste of your hard earned cash.

Smell: The smell alone will have people hooked. Sadly, that's the only positive I find in this fragrance. The opening is GORGEOUS. It is truly a game changer. Sadly, it does not last long. It quickly dries down into something we have all smelled before - the original A*Men. It does maintain the original DNA from A*Men, but sadly the smell isn't too much of a departure, which is what I truly want from a flanker. We bought the original already. I don't wanna buy it again under a different name. Rating: 8/10

Projection: For the first couple of hours, this thing did the job it was set to do. For those of us who want a fragrance to PERFORM, it was a big let down in this category. Compared to its predecessor, that is unacceptable. Rating: 6/10

Longevity: This fragrance lasted on me for about 5 to 6 hours. This simply won't cut it. Especially since it is geared toward the Fall & Winter seasons. I want a fragrance that cuts through that cold air and hangs around. Not something that gives up after barely putting up a fight. This took a few hits to the chin from the elements and just gave up guys. Rating: 5/10

Price: I achieved mine from a trade, but this thing will sell for various prices. One reason is because on Thierry Mugler's website, it is pretty high. Reason #2, it is STILL hyped up like crazy. Hype creates more buzz. The more buzz, the higher it will sell for until it loses interest. Reason #3, Mugler sometimes pulls his flankers from the rotation for a little while, creating hysteria and people freak out and want to buy it up. Price goes up with the demand. If you buy on E-bay, beware because it will be almost astronomical what people want for this. Rating: 3/10

Average Rating: 5.5.

Conclusion: You guys can find much better for your money. I don't discourage testing this fragrance, but don't expect it to kill it for you when it counts.

devynm
devynm

I really don't enjoy the berries at the top of this. but the rest is pretty good. Id still prefer the original though. This is not bad by any means(better than most other fragrances), I just don't get the hype. The longevity and projection are good though.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Earlier this year I hated A-Men. Then it grew on me, and I got to like it. So I wasn't sure what I'd get from this. I see it talked about a lot on the fragrantica forum - almost always in a good sense - so I gave it a try.

I like it! Love it, even! Actually, I think I prefer it to A-Men. Yes... it's malty/woody with a bit of the A-Men caramel base. (Or am I just imagining this, since it isn't listed as a note?) It's an unusual scent, but a good one. I don't get any pronounced fruit notes, which is all to the good since I don't care for fruity scents.

I think I shall get a bottle someday!

-----

Update: I got a bottle of this for Christmas! It's wonderful... a lovely boozy/woody/peaty/caramel fragrance. My favorite gourmand scent by far! What's more, everyone I've asked likes it on me.

Longevity is about average for scents these days: a few hours. This is this scent's biggest drawback.

kayley123
kayley123

I smell a lot of wood and a LOT of malt. I don't like the smell of beer/whiskey, so unfortunately, I can't say I like it. I barely got any fruit from it, except in the first few seconds. I probably shouldn't have tried it at all, knowing I don't like the smell of malt--so most people should probably disregard my review. :)

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

MALTY MUGLER

Mugler finally has something going on with this flanker. It's a more refined, more subtle, more restrained, more wearable version of A Men (which I found much too sweet).

Don't get me wrong - it is still sweet. But the malt balances it out.

Certainly by far the best of the line.

scentgent
scentgent

Right here, this is a game changer

IMO, this is the best in the line. This scent reeks of the word "classy." The only downside is that it is so classy, you cannot use it casually. On the bright side, you can use it at any formal occasion.

Legend has it, this is A*Men aged in whiskey barrels. My BS alarm is now going off, so I will talk to you seriously.

Pure Malt is linear. The notes are "confused" on the top. You get just a mix of fruity notes and malt. That is it. Despite the fragrance notes, you do not smell like an alcoholic.

As it dries down, you can distinguish the notes a lot better. Awesome longevity. Projection isn't beast mode like original A*Men, but it does radiate from you noticeably.

Sillage: 9/10
Projection: 9/10
Versatility: 6/10
Compliments: 10/10
Bang for Buck: 10/10 (got it for 65 dollars and this is premium juice)
Overall: 9/10

This is a must have, unless you don't like gourmand-ish fragrances. My most satisfying fragrance to experience and wear. This is a cologne that deserves its own category.

craniumbash
craniumbash

@LA Bones

I think you need to resmell these both side by side because the way you described these scent:

"Look at the scent pyramid for both fragrances and you will see the devious attempt by Mugler to cover up his theft hahaha"

It seems you have never owned pure malt. Judging a smell just from 1 use is really a dumb thing to do. Dunhill Desire is overly sweet in a clearly synthetic way whereas Pure Malt smells much more natural gourmandish and boozy.

So if you consider them both to be similar then I would urge you to spend some money rather than going to a shop for free sprays and basing your judgments on that. If still you find them similar then as drakesito recommended, you should get your nose checked.

drakesito
drakesito

@LA Bones

Please, check your nose! Dunhill Desire and Pure Malt are completely different perfumes.

sharmap14
sharmap14

i dont get what all the hype is about. the original smells much better than this. this just smells like a watered down version of the original A men

dayzaway99
dayzaway99

im a younger man and i thought this scent was a little too mature, but after wearing for a few nights out with my friends its perfect. specially now that the weather is cooling off. Several of my friends have said they enjoy my scent which is the first and only time that males have complimented my scent. In other words its a mans man kinda of smell. But still sweet and sexy enough to approach women with it on as well. Opens with a strong BOOZEY malted whiskey smell that almost makes you seem like you've been drinking all night. soon after a sweet ultra gourmand chocolate smell kicks in, with a powdery/spicey/wood complexity that makes you take a deep breath of it and blends in perfectly into a crowded bar without getting lost with all of the mashed up scents. If you are gonna be in a crowded dark environment, this scent will prevail

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Amazing!! For me this is what sweet perfume should be like. I spent So many years thinking that I hate all sweet perfumes after smelling the likes of Paco rabanne's black XS and one million and the wave of similar smelling perfumes that they started. But, after smelling some good sweet stuff, like this one, I'm convinced that there is a perfume for me of every type.

Pure malt is a very unique piece of work. It speaks for itself and stand out from the crowd. Once sprayed on, it makes sure you'll never forget it either you like it or not. Whiskey is what you will immediately think of, but this perfume is so well blended that you won't mind the fact that you are wearing whiskey as a perfume. Spices gives it a spicy feeling while fruits enrich the scent and take it to a whole new level. Try it and enjoy it. I know I did!

marceldijkman
marceldijkman

Finally got my nose to the ultimate compliment-getter (according to youtubers). Let me first explain; I like to simplify things. This scent is basically 3 things over time: 0-5h I smell Beer (why would someone want to wear this?) 5-7h I smell A*Men. 7h+ nothing.
But let me get this straight. I don't like my A-Men Coffee either. But that's my compliment-getter. Needless to say I am gonna post a followup when the girls got a sniff of Pure Malt.

Akinfor8

Now i feel like an idiot. It says right in the description it's based off of Scottish whiskey. Next time I will read the description before writing a review.

Akinfor8

Well to start off this review I am going to be honest. I don't really like the initial opening of Pure Malt. It is very strong and cloying and to me the major note in the top is the peat. Now for nobody who knows this peat is one of the main ingredients in scotch. Now as we all know this stuff is put into a whiskey barrel to give it that boozy smell, but are the barrels scotch barrels because it would explain a lot towards that heavy peat note. Now to the reason this is one of my favorites. After about 30 minutes on my skin it starts to calm down and become a master piece. It gets a lot sweeter, which I like. At around the three hour mark is when it becomes my absolute smell of all time. I really can't explain it. The only problem is it isn't very strong. I would give this a perfect 10 but for the lack of time I get out of it I will give it a 9. Also, don't blind buy it. It is a very unique smell with a lot of rave about it, but make sure you try it first because it may take you by surprise when you first smell it.

oatcrust18
oatcrust18

Not that I have any thing against thallium but someone told me I smell like thallium, was kinda offended. lol

FlashAdler221
FlashAdler221

Just bought this stuff from Macy's today. I was sooo happy to have it. I'm really excited to wear it now that the weather is getting cooler.
I'm 27 years old and kinda have a baby face. I'm worried that it might be a bit too mature for me, but I think I dress well enough to pull off a mature fragrance like this. I got some compliments on it already. The girl behind the counter at Macy's even encouraged me to buy this over Pure Havane. (I was going to anyway.)
I'm curious to know what the girls at work will think of this fragrance on me.

haristondo
haristondo

Too sweet!!! It is a very unique scent and I really dislike it.

Layzie
Layzie

This sweet, malty perfume has a chocolatey redolence to it. When I first tested it, I found it odd, neither in a good nor bad way. It was different from all of my other fragrances. It reminded me of a big bowl of breakfast cereal. It had great sillage and longevity, which is great if you love to be noticed! It's a nice scent but seems a bit too sweet for me.

takeitupthenose

You ever watch a movie and thought "this is a good movie but I don't want to see it again"? Maybe it is even a great movie. For example Avatar is that way for me. Loved it, just never need to see it again. Pure Malt is great, I have come to the conclusion recently that it serves no purpose in my collection. I just have no functional use for it. I am never really comfortabble wearing it.

It is neither juvenille nor mature. It is neither too sweet or too boozy. It smells great. I just can't wear it. Pure Havane on the other hand is in my top 5-10 easily. It is sort of like Karl Malone's game. Top 10-15 player ever. I just was never interested watching him play. I have owned it three times and sold it each.

stromboli77
stromboli77

Oh boy here we go. Well first of all I've been looking forward to getting this one for a long time. Went to Macy's and was psyched to see that they had it in stock. Tested it out. Maybe my expectations where a little to high but my first impressions were positive and negative at the same time. Overall it is a decent fragrance but nowhere near to deserving all the hype that its been getting. First of all in the opening it smells to similar to pure havane which I prefer over this one. I think the fruit accord in havane is done better than pure malt. Its much smoother and adds a bit more pronounced sweetness. Pure malt on the other hand starts out sweet but ultimately comes across more dirty and smokey. A little to dirty for my taste, at least for the first half hour to an hour. It does smooth down a bit to a much warmer and inviting scent but again at this point it smells to similar to the original a men which I actually like the most out of the three. The versatility to this fragrance is very limited. I think its a good dating or clubbing scent. I would not wear this to work by any means. LOL Like most gourmands this is not a daily wear scent, definitely more for a special occasion. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Ok after further wearings of this fragrance I have found a greater appreciation for it. Although I was expecting something a little different I feel the smookey woody, patchouli side of this scent is absolutely PERFECT for the fall. Probably will be for the winter as well. I do think the scent itself deserves some credit for being very complex, very warm and quite masculine. The opening has become addictive! The drydown very dark with those chocolatey-boozey sweet overtones. I give this an 8.5 out of 10. Not for everybody but I must admit as with the original a-men you can grow to love it.

al.to
al.to

I have 2 bottle new to sell.
contact me,i'm in italy.

3starmagnum
3starmagnum

I have a near full bottle of this (about 98% full) with box that I'm willing to trade. Private message me if interested.

dromidreza

بالاخره توسط دوستمون جناب قشقایی نازنین یکی به دستم رسید.خیلی خوشحالم.بوی خطی داره که عوض نمیشه.بوی ویسکی درش کاملا مشهوده.بسیار خاص و عالی

warlockss
warlockss

ok im going to review this again since now ive weared this all day i get simmering alcholic fruit juices , with a pinapple and lipstick vibe , kinda reminds me of the ted lapidus altimir mixed with antonio banderas the golden secret .

tuky
tuky

The sweetness from A*men is sweeten by malt in A*men PM and the tasty notes make it even more feminine than the original. But it has "the WOW factor". I have A*men and A*men Pure Malt face to face and I tend to say the original one is better...but stii that "Wow" is obessive and it is intriguing me until it "wows" me :|

jimmyd
jimmyd

This cologne is what a man's cologne should smell like. It changes from opening to dry down but each change is wonderful, at least on my skin. The chocolate/caramel smell comes thru as well as a deep smokiness. It is my favorite cologne since the original polo went away. For a man of 55 it is hard to find something that smells nice and lasts. This does both. 9.5 out of 10.

بوی پیور هاوانا رو میده ولی نه به اون شیرینی.مردونه تره.عالی

Lock1454
Lock1454

*I do not have a nose that is well trained - this is my rudimentary opinion of this scent*

I really adore this scent. I get an alluring smoky caramel/chocolate with touches of vanilla, coffee & booziness. It really is a delicious smell; three female co-workers I've asked said they really loved it.

But there is the problem, I had to hold my wrist up and ask them to take a whiff. Unfortunately on me, this cologne doesn't project very far at all beyond the initial few minutes. It does last a good 6 hours. I sprayed it around 7:30 before work and could smell it when I got home at 7PM when I plunged my nose into my wrist.

Overall, I really enjoy this cologne and do plan on wearing it often during the colder months, but it will mostly be for my own enjoyment and for those lucky individuals who miraculously get to catch a whiff of it when I pass by them.

But there is the problem, I had to hold my wrist up and ask them to take a whiff. Unfortunately on me, this cologne doesn't project very far at all beyond the initial few minutes. It does last a very good 7-8 hours. I sprayed it around 7:30 before work and could smell it when I got home at 7PM when I plunged my nose into my wrist.

freddiefingers

what a difference a year makes!just over a year ago Pure Malt was selling for more than £100 if you were lucky to find one to buy at all.
fast forward a year on and I just about bought the last bottle-a back up- from a discounter for £37!!
Still does not make it a cheap scent.not sure how long its 'limited' status will be but with the new one coming I bet the price will still be plummeting.A clear case of supply and demand .Or is it a case of the best things in life coming to those who wait?

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Really gorgeous. I am a woman and I love this stuff. This is exactly what I hoped it would be. The opening is very boozy. Perfect. The fruit lends a sweetness to the booze without it becoming too sweet or feminine. The spices did not begin to kick in for me until later but they blended just beautifully with the other notes. Thankfully on me I didn't get patch like someone else mentioned. I get enough of that with Angel and I am glad this is different. On me this is not a screamer. Just really soft and sexy.

Really nice for women who prefer more masculine scents.

Dino Napoleão
Dino Napoleão

The DNA of A*Men continues in this version, patchouli note persists, but this time gets a supporting contour, because the notes openings stand out initially with its fruity notes, light and sweet.
The malt is mixed with fruit, during which time the fragrance stays with this nuance caramel-vanillic. In the drydown is possible to feel woody notes and smoky peat with the patchouli again recalling the so famous DNA Angel Men.
Angel Men Pure Malt is undoubtedly one of the best flankers line from A*Men Thierry Mugler.
A fragrance balanced and very well built, which I find rare in commercial perfumery today.

Valfar
Valfar

Such an amazing fragrance. Blind bought this one based on the reviews here and recommendation from my buddy Saransh. I have to say i really love this. From all the fragrance i ever had/tried, this one is so unique and incredible. Also, i like to layer this one with the original A*men. Maaaan! These 2 combined are orgasmic. They both share the same DNA and complete each other creating an incredible smell with amazing projection. With this combination, people will notice you and will compliment you, and ask what are you wearing. But don't tell them your secret!!!

zararbutt
zararbutt

This giant is not available anywhere especially in Pakistan since recently TM relaunched it. Ordered it online from mugler store UK through one of my known settled there, therefore no point of getting fake one. Commenting upon the juice i got, is a 99% copy of A-Men Pure Havane, i dont get a single Beer note at any place. Maybe they are latching on the hype and selling the identical product or else they have re-formulated it. Having stated resemblance with PH certainly not mean that PH is bad. PH is a masterpiece of its own but getting PH in a Pure Malt bottle is shame. Had it possible i would sue Mr. Mugler for my $ 88

cassius
cassius

Every time I wear this I wonder what the point of the original A*men is when this exists. Superlative.

ilprezzo
ilprezzo

What a georgous Scent! Inital blast of Malt and smoky leafs. Unfortunately it does not last on my Skin and is gone in less than an Hour. So wish that was different.
It only comes in EDT Concentration,right?

braindead83
braindead83

holy sh*t i love this. This is the first couple sprays I've ever smelled and on my skin it's brilliant so far.
Such a lovely fragrance that I wish I had tried sooner. I am really impressed with the delicate balance created here.

OneRedRose
OneRedRose

Purchased a bottle of Pure Malt and was blown away with its scent. Nothing like anything else I've tried. I quickly bought 2 more bottles just to have around since it is a limited edition. :) Brought it to work and asked a few of my co-worker ladies what they thought of the scent, they liked it very much.

The scent: When spraying on, you get a high quality-smelling sweet alcoholic/boozy berry smokey caramel scent. About a half hour later, the booziness becomes milder and the sweet berry smokey caramel continues on... and as the hours progress, you are left with a high quality smokey caramel smell reminiscent of those old Mackintosh Toffee bars I used to eat as a kid. :) I'm a huge chocolate, candy, cake fiend and this scent makes me long for caramel toffee hours later. :) Wore this a few times at work, had both males AND females ask me what it was and where to purchase Pure Malt... it was a hit.

GoodVibrations

Caramel-dipped Muglerberries that dry down to an exquisite masculine amber with a 5 o'clock shadow. Traces of the redness of Xeryus Rouge and the amber glow of L'Instant Pour Homme, but decidedly Mugleresque.

elbenja
elbenja

This is one fantastic fragrance. Longevity is excellent and projection is perfect - people will compliment you, but it will not overpower them. It is very much a nighttime fragrance. It is well worth the purchase and one of my all-time favorites. This is the one I keep for that special night out. It will not disappoint.

colognefan85
colognefan85

Opening: Strong notes of whisky and a undertone of fruit. Opening lasts quite a bit around 10 mins. Whisky " aka malt" is smooth and inviting. Fruit is sharp.

Dry down: Tobacco base thats mellow, starts to smell mixed with a caramel holding that whisky note on the top. Very nice dry now starts to smell like a gourmand. With a touch sweet amber.

Projection: VERY high, draws in compliments.

Longevity: 6 to 8 hours

Overall: A mix of gourmand and oriental. The top is sweet with the mix of fruit and whisky that appeals to oriental fans, but the base on the dry down is the majority of its life. One of the best if not best tobacco based fragrances. A perfect fall and winter signature piece. Its mellow and iniviting, reminds me of a smoking a tobacco pipe.

Purchase: TRY this wouldnt be for everyone...LOVE or Hate fragrance

gaz525
gaz525

If you are already a fan of A Men you will love this. As most A Men wearers will know it can sometimes be too over powering and i find myself choking on it occasionally. Pure malt is like it's younger brother, much lighter but still with an undertone of that distinctive gourmand smell. True to the name this really does smell boozy, but not in a way that you could be mistaken for being drunk at work but in the way of swirling a glass of warm whiskey around in your hand and breathing in the aromas. It is fruity too, almost like a pineapple, although quite faint i think this is what stops it from becoming heavy like A Men can sometimes be. I wouldnt say the sillage or projection is quite as good as A Men but it is still good in it;s own right and is a very dinstinctive smell, i dont think anyone would dare guess what you were wearing unless they themselves had tried pure malt in the past. To sum it up it is a much lighter almost summer version of the original. I would wear the original in the colder months and this in the summer.

eduardofck
eduardofck

I dont understand the hype, i've bought it because of the reviews and i got highly disappointed.. it's not BAD, but there are lots of better frags out there.

lightspeed388
lightspeed388

Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler opens with a lighter version of A*MEN with a slight boozy, Malt type of feel with a light smokey fruity smell. It then turns into a warm, Vanilla and Amber scent that is still slightly smokey with Chocolate and slight undertones of Caramel and Coffee. Pure Malt has above average longevity which will give you about 6-10 hours. Sillage or projection is moderate. I would certainly recommend Pure Malt, it's one of my favorites. 9/10, cheers.

Fábio Condé

Pure Malt is designed perfectly between all the perfumes of this house. Woody oriental, has a back of DNA A * Men in my nose.
But that is placed as an adjunct, the notes are intense in the opening fruit, slightly sweet. The heart appears the malt after minutes or seconds, drying accompanying this delicious fruity whiskey.
After at the base appears the famous base patchouli-reconciled caramel tones of oriental, smoky, mainly by peat, a vegetable fuel. Sublime!

LaCucaracha
LaCucaracha

Blind bought this due to quite low price and the massive hype. Did NOT meet any expectations at all. It's an ok fragrance but all to sweet and even more sweet. Opening is better than the original A*Men but whiskey notes? I think not...
I'm not a gourmand lover but I believe there's a lot better ones if you in to that kind of juice.

Evilpimp
Evilpimp

I have a new bottle still in the box and wrap if anyone want to make a trade let me know

rossen27
rossen27

wonderfull smell. I smell whiskey in the the first snif.Then it smells like the original a*men and the dry down id reaky close to pure havane.Ithink it's great and unic also.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

The best of the Angel Men flankers, and a truly unique and pleasent scent. I think this can safely be worn year round (keep it to 1 spray in the heat), but I think this scent truly shines in mild fall/spring weather.

andy84
andy84

I didn't expect some divine scent when i was waiting for my sample. It was rather the last attempt to study the Thierry Mugler's gourmand fragrances and gourmand fragrances in general which are not my type of scents. For me I got fruity punch at the beggining, then cherry-caramel notes in the middle and some spices, grape note and sweet woods in the base. Neither malt nor peat for me (I'm a good scotch whisky lover). It's less choky then the original A*Men because of the the warm fruity and woody notes and definetly more musculine but no boozy notes for me at all. Maybe a little of fermented cherry and grapes at the base but that's all. Not my type of frag. Sillage and longetivity is average on my skin (6 hours max, 2 last hours close to skin). A must try before blind buying.

jessbug
jessbug

Okay, first of all, I'm between a 'very strong like' and a 'kinda love' on this. I suspect this will smell better on me when it's colder out, and then I'll be in all out 'love' mode.

This was a blind buy, driven by a combination of the reviews here and the fact that it's limited (right... 'Limited'. Gotta love TM's marketing team, they know what we want!). I definitely don't regret it, the drydown of Pure Malt is one of the sexiest gourmands I've ever smelled on myself!

The opening notes were a little scary when I first sprayed it on. The malt (wheat?) and citrussy fruit note mix into something that is half aftershave (albeit nice aftershave) and half... eating a bowl of fruity cereal in a hay shed. This phase is interesting and quite nice, but I'm glad it does change from there, because when it settles down (about 20-30 minutes in) it's just so amazing. The transition starts with a sort of lightly smoky tea scent, and then it just gets warmer and lovelier and it ends up with this fuzzy, smoky caramel-vanilla Angel base (and that tea note pops up every now and again, which is lovely).

I might sound like the total amateur that I am, but this really makes me think of the Angel EdT, only a little fuzzier and 'darker' (not heavier, but cozier, and a little sexier). It has nothing to do with your typical 'masculine' scents, and I love that about Pure Malt. I think this would smell insanely good on a guy. This is my kinda unisex ;)

4.4/5

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

got my hands on it after searching all over the net for a genuine piece...
already have the original A*Men.....which is very harsh opening
overall...this fares much better....it milder, and more smooth...got a gentle boozy smell
makes me wanna eat my arm when i spray on it....

get it if you could....lives up to the hype...

omesh17
omesh17

I bought this from all the reviews on here but I find it very strong. It smells very sweet to me. Smells like a veyr sweet chocolate bar and thats all I can smell during the whole day. Maybe I sprayed it to much? It does last pretty much for the whole day. I sprayed it at 7am and I can still smell it at 7pm.

paulo.oz.1
paulo.oz.1

Somebody told me Fenwick in the uk stocks this at the moment. Not sure where though. Not a fan of Mugler, Amen is very overpowering and gives me a headache, but looking at the reviews, this sounds a bit woodier than the classic Amen.

xanthus_69

@dstefanek: i tried macy's but unfortunately, perfumes are not available for shipment yet...i think they're considered as volatile substance so it's more difficult to ship them....i am amazed by the number of freebies you get when you buy perfumes there....here in the Philippines they'll just give us the teenie-weenie vials for free....I know they're just samples....When I bought my TM Sunessence they gave me one vial of Azzaro Decibel and Azzaro Twin which I gave to my friend....when I bought my Versace Eros they gave me three small bottles of Versace women's perfume...Lol!!!...i didn't even get a bag!....

dstefanek

@xanthus_69 yeah, sometimes when you purchase fragrance from Macy's you'll receive free samples and items...when I bought my Paco Rabanne 1 Million 8 months ago($79) I got a free complementary Paco Rabanne duffle bag, 5 free samples...1 sample I got Mugler A Men Pure Leather, Mugler Pure Haven, john varvatos original, and some other 2 I forgot....plus Macy's ships to Philippines rescently(last March), but when I was in Philippines last December I wasn't able to access to their website(they don't ship to Philippines yet)...so try to search macys.com they have like free gifts with the purshace of a fragrance, you will not dissapoint.

xanthus_69

@dstefanek: thanks for the tip...I'll tell my friend to try Macy's in New Jersey...though the Thierry Mugler online store is still selling this as limited edition along with the other A*Men varieties.....out of frustration for this, I blind bought Versace Eros instead.....lol!....it was a surprisingly good blind buy.....i love Eros but won't stop until I get my hands on all the good stuff from Mugler.

hsuru4u
hsuru4u

A master piece! Very 3 dimensional and unique...

dstefanek

@xanthus_69 I own the Pure Coffee I got it 2011 Christmas, and I got my Pure Malt on the website Thierry Mugler website....and I heard the Pure Coffee had been discontinue, and you can ask you from New Jersey go to Macy's and they'll have the Pure Heavane.

xanthus_69

Why couldn't I find this one in the Philippines?!!!....I scoured the whole Metro Manila for this and Pure Havane and Pure Coffee but couldn't find any....thank God I own the original A*Men and Sunessence....I even asked friends from New Jersey, Australia, Germany and the Middle East to look for this one....no feed back yet..any suggestion where to buy?

dstefanek

I was the main attraction when I wear this bad boy during clubbing(dico) in Philippines, like everyone can smell me.

nsquared
nsquared

This is a beautiful scent that is boozy and fruity with light ties to the DNA of original A*Men. However I find this at most lasts an hour or two and then it's gone. Such a shame because this would be one of my favorites otherwise.

browne54
browne54

This has been reviewed to death so I will try and make this brief. First off, I cant really stand A*Men, I respect it, but I do not care for it. Now, I adore Pure Malt. It stands on its own two feet. I really just wish that wonderful whiskey note lingered around a bit longer. But because it was literally made from A*Men soaking in old scotch barrels the dry down is where this one shines. Take the sweetness of the original A*Men and add some minor, yet distinctly contrasting and prominent, woody notes. To paint a picture: you have been served a sugary fruit, literal cocktail, in a wooden cup and the waiter then brings some of the finest scotch and soda to fill this wooden cup and then proceeds to drizzle a little caramel on top, but only a little. Wear on a cold winter night on a date or out to the bar and you will find Pure Malt unfurl in all its glory. Females LOVE THIS. I think it overloads their olfactory bulb and puts them under enchantment. But hey dont take my word for it. However, I truthfully must say despite this being a delicious, literally, fragrance it is not worth the $400 I have seen it go for on ebay. It has been re-released once for the Mugler house and half of the reason it maintains its status is because it is not widely available and has established a mysterious and exotic reputation because of it. Excellent marketing strategy if you ask me. It will be released again, mark my words. So if you are having a hard time locating it for a decent price purchase something else and wait out the storm. But when you see it back on Thierry Mugler's website be sure and snatch it up.

pjd1234
pjd1234

its a pleasure to write a review of this magnificent fragrance after testing this all i can say is amazing first spray blast of sweetness with a hint of boozinees whiskey i pressume, middle notes still sweet but settles down with a hint of wood just slightly hint of wood. I just hoped that whiskey note is bit prominant because i really loved it. then buttom notes settle down with that original a men smell but on the soft side w/o that strong tar smell. very well done indeed. i just wish though it has more projection but longevity 8-12 hours. it has also simililarities with pure havane which i will review soon i dont have a bottle yet i tried that in the mall 3 times now so i cant make a comparison yet. if youre going to ask me which one to get id say get both they are both magnificent frags. back to pure malt i cant picture anything out of it im blank here i just know that its addicting, classy, sexy, delicous and a winner for sure, a compliment getter, sensual and definitely unique. i purchased 3 bottles all at once might purchase a fourth one cause its a limited release and i dont want to miss out should last me for a long time definitely one of my favorites for sure. my rate.
longevity 9/10 8-12 easy depends on how much you spray.
sillage 8/10 moderate not bad i suggest 2 sprays on the chest you will smell yourself for hours.
over all smell from top to buttom its a 10/10 for me
uniqueness 10/10 truly is unique blows away niche frags IMHO.
price vs quality no brainer 10/10 indeed quality juice no doubt about it.
Versatility all year round scent IMHO I think even the hot days.

Update I have pure havane now and been sampling it. The only similarities I can think of is the opening which does not last then the scent goes on each different direction. Malt being boozy havane being tobacco sweet.

hullhockey91
hullhockey91

The first word that comes to my mind is "addicting."

The malt note is amazing. I dont see it as a gourmand. I hate gourmands yet I love this stuff. The malt takes care of that caramel/sweetness/gourmand in a great way.

hornetz
hornetz

Pure malt is like a treat for the olfactory senses. It has gained lots of recognition for its hype on youtube and social media. For me this gourmand from start to finish is one that I thoroughly enjoy and is perhaps the perfect clubbing scent. The boozy choclatey caramel treat is one of the most long lasting colognes I have tried; on the skin over 12 hours on clothes till you wash it. Reserved for special events and days when I want to enjoy this scent. Pure malt has perfected the A-men DNA and spares you of the tar ashtray punishment. Pure Malt is Pure Joy!

Contrary to what the notes would indicate, A*Men Pure Malt is the sweetest of all the A*Men flankers I've tried.
It smells like Rock and Rye. Fruit and rock candy soaked in rye whiskey with star anise.
Drydown on me is all dirt. Not the case with two male friends I put it on though.

Plucus21
Plucus21

TOO BOOZY! This could have been a masterpiece for me if the berry note was more pronounced. Sometimes I get hints of the berry coming through and in that instance this fragrance is FANTASTIC! However, more often I get booze that just dominates everything and I don't want to smell like I just dumped Maker's Mark on myself. It is probably just my skin, but Pure Havane is my redemption.

flkirkland
flkirkland

I know there are a lot of people that love this scent and I'm not knocking it down, as I like it just fine. But it just doesn't pop for me. I think Havane and the original A*Men are better. L

vistro
vistro

I haven't used this cologne in awhile but yesterday when i used it to go out with my gf, She absolutely loved it. I mean, loved it so much she whispered in my ear what i was wearing and how she wanted to fuck at the moment.

Among others, as i was walking through the clubs, this scent caught lots of female's (and male's) attention as it is a head turner.

This is my number one panty dropper. Period

jethra781
jethra781

My advice is becareful if you are new to fragrances, pure malt gets so hyped up by the godfarthers on youtube because they have smelt and worn it all and to them this is something very different and a break from the same old same old, if your new to bikes you're not gonna hope on a 600cc and be able to appreciate or handle its power if you haven't spent time on a 250, I have both pm and ph but I prefer to wear dior homme and dhi because mugler stuff is still too harsh for me to enjoy tbh in theory I can see myself falling in love with pm and ph when I get tired of all the aquatics and orientals but that day is still far away

kambelz
kambelz

One of the most amazing things I have ever smelled. The opening is somewhat lemony with a mixture of like a sweet cedar and that boozy whiskey. As it dries down the Caramel (which I don't get in the original A men) comes out and mixes with the whiskey and berries. The berry that I smell is uncannily recognizable. It smells like sweetened red huckleberries. I also get hints of chocolate and vanilla in the background. If you are looking for a gourmand that is not overly sweet, you should really try this.

The longevity is pretty poor on me for a gourmand (around 6 or 7 hours), but the smell is so amazing, I don't care. There is also no way this is a men with the addition of a note. This is a completely different fragrance, guys.

Spartan25
Spartan25

Cheap bottle. I am someone who likes to expose the nice containers and this one is not!

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

Recently I purchased a 3.4 oz. bottle of Pure Malt and Pure Havane after buying small samples on Ebay. I liked Pure Malt so much, I bought a second big bottle fearing that it wouldn't be available to me one day. That is how GOOD it is. My signature scent has always been Abercrombie Fierce even though I own the heavy hitters like Creed and Dior Homme Intense and I never imagined a switch in signature scents until I smelled Pure Malt. There should be a picture of a bottle of Pure Malt in a dictionary under the word "gourmand." Picture a blend of caramelized sugar, sweet dark cherry soda, fine Cognac, with a fruity, enticing woody undertone. When wearing Pure Malt, I get compliments like: "You smell really, really good, what is that you have on?" and "It smells expensive how much did it cost?" The longevity lasts a good eight hours and sillage maintains throughout that time period. I will own a bottle of Pure Malt as long as I am alive.

steve0580
steve0580

There is no other way to say it, other than this is one of the best fragrances ever made. It's just amazing.

There are very few fragrances that I'm completely overwhelmed by and this is one of them - M7 being the other.

Dior Homme Intense, Guerlain L'Instant Eau Extreme, Oud Wood - this blows them all out of the water.

A must have for your collection.

Fábio Condé

Pure Malt is designed seamlessly between all the perfumes of this house.
Oriental woody, has a DNA of A * Men in my nose.
But that is placed as an adjuvant, the notes are intense at the opening of fruit, slightly sweet. The heart appears malt after minutes of opening, drying watching this delicious fruity whiskey.
After it appears in your dna base mentioned is the famous reconciled patchouli-caramel tones of oriental, smoky, mainly by peat, something like a light vegetable fuel. Sublime!

Bruno2theV

I finally testes this one out along with Pure Havane.
This one, comes out with an explosion, literally. The sweet and fruity smell went right up my nose and until my brain. 5 minutes after, the Malt comes in and most fruity notes fade, making it a great smell.
After 8 hours of first spraying it, I can feel the creamy caramel mix with a little bit of vanilla and chocolate at the same time.
I am having a real hard time chosing my favorite from Thierry Mugler since I loved Malt and Havane, but I think that Malt is my way of what I want to smell like.
So my rank from TM is y now:
1. Pure Malt/Pure Havane
2. Taste of fragrance
3.A*men
4.Pure Shot
5.Ice Men
6.Pure Leather
7.Cologne
I have to leave Pure coffee and B*Men out of the ranking because I never smell any of them.
Now I wonder what Mr. Mugler will bring for 2013...Is it a Pure Chocolate?Pure Vanilla?Pure Cinnamon?*Pure tropical?Pure Wine?Can't waint :)

From 0 to 10, this one is a 9.

rodolfo
rodolfo

@Bruno2theV:
I don't find Pure Malt too chocolaty.
In fact, I'm having a hard time picking chocolate on it. At least on my skin.
It's more like whisky, alcoholic fruits and a creamy caramel.

Bruno2theV

Can someone tell me which is chocolatier? Pure Malt or Pure Havane?

PeterWJ
PeterWJ

Yuck!!! and then when I washed it off, ok pleasant traces left on my arm. What can I say? Surely this was not intended from the producer.

oilizer
oilizer

This scent starts with mixture of ripe fruit that provides sweet and somewhat uplifting vibe with malt that gives it a warm and thick feeling. Much of the fruity notes fade over time and for sometime, but the sweetness still hints where the sweetness once originated from. Over time, some of the woody and oriental notes peek through but the sweet malt remains as the main player. I wouldn't use "boozy" or "whiskey" to describe this scent since... well it smells nothing like whikeys I drink (maybe some people drink sweet, malty, barely fermented whiskey, I don't know). But I can somewhat understant why many people use those words since much of the scent is centered around malt. There is a hint of smokiness which maybe is from peat but I don't know how peat smells like, to be honest.

My "relationship" with this scent is... complicated. When I got a decant of this, I enjoyed it but not blown away. After couple of more wears I started to like it more to the point where I almost purchased this on TM site. However, for some reason, when I tried this scent today, I just felt like it was more oriental/spicy than it ever was and it was cloying to me. It was slightly warmer today (3/2), but I live in Washington and it wasn't "warm." And I didn't think One Million was cloying when I wore it at the end of summer so I am not sure what was the problem today.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this fragrance but just like other gourmand scents, such as One Million, it has a problem with versitility. I'm not much of a clubbing or night out kind of a guy and I just don't know what I'll do with 100 mL of this stuff (given its longevity and projection, I can't even go trigger happy with this). If TM comes out with < 50 mL bottles, which I doubt, then I will buy it. But until then, I'll be content with my 5 mL decant bottle that will last for at least couple of years for me.

Cloying cloying cloying

Dolcebilly24

Sprayed it made me sick like stated above it will make you sick I gt rid of it as fast as I got it.

fresher81
fresher81

Not sure if delicious is a good discription for a cologne... Nevertheless, this cologne smells DELCIOUS (my wife hates when I go out with this on) From top to finish, this is a masterpiece. This could contend with most of the top niche fragrances out there--an absolute monster in the fragrance world

bozotheclown
bozotheclown

Nothing to add to this unreal amazing scent (heaven on earth)

11/10 ;-)

Tuzara
Tuzara

Hyped to Brain Wash levels.

Sample before you buy. Do not blind buy this.

Scent 2/10

Smells like - Cheap deodorant, really bad one. Or a 5 dollar fake fragrance.

matty64
matty64

Bought this as a X-mas present for myself, I love it! Everyone at work loves the deep, intoxicating aroma. Highly recommended, better overall frag to me than the Pure Havane. Just my honest, personal opinion though. The dry down lasts for more than 8 hrs. on my skin. Yum!!

Eddie Fresh
Eddie Fresh

women surround me like sharks when i wear this out at the bar/club/lounge/their house..i cant go wrong with this, la nuit, and dhi in my night out arsenal

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

Took me a while to get to this one. Being one of the most loved/hated things out there I had to see what all the drama was about.

I really enjoy this one. I was worried that it would smell like I spilled whiskey on myself, but It just has a tang of an alcohol vapor that blends into warm sweet spice.

I'm fine with the moderate longevity. 5-8 hours is about what I'd want before I get tired of smelling that way.

CRIALESV
CRIALESV

A weird thing happened to me with Pure Malt. On initial spray I thought it was amazing. Whiskey and honey was sweet and delicious. Very similar to Pure Havane but replacing the cherry with the whiskey. Actually, everything about this fragrance is similar to Pure Havane but I do like Pure Havane better & would recommend it over Pure Malt nine time out of ten. It's a tad more refined. I think the sweet tobacco beats the whiskey note. That beings said, Pure Malt's opening was so good that I sprayed two on the neck and a couple on my shirt. It got so cloying that I got nauseous at work. It was like an injury to my sense of smell. I couldn't wear any overly sweet fragrance for a week. Even Pure Havane, which I absolutely loved, prior to this experience. I swapped it out PM for a LIDGE bottle because I have no interest in wearing it ever again. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to knock Pure Havane, this is just my experience with it. Take from it what you will.

vuongquang007
vuongquang007

i like this

RickS1169
RickS1169

I get berries and a sweet liqueur. Definitely different from the other a men in the series. Projection and longevity are great. Best if used in the wintertime or night on the town.

rprovenz

Show of hands... Who's ever been called synthetic or generic by someone??

rprovenz

Pound for pound one of the best created. Boom!!

noirdrakkar

Boozy liquor and fruit, drying down to a delicious vanilla chocolate patchouli scent. My favorite from the Mugler house.

4.5/5

chweintr
chweintr

Like being water-boarded with molasses. Just plain too sweet. Like A*men without the spice notes...

Pleasant for a second - but ultimately overbearing.
Reminds me of the sickeningly syrupy drink Southern Comfort. If they were aiming for boozy -- I wish they'd gone a different route... peaty/smoky like a Langavulin scotch or fruit/charcoal/tobacco like Bookers Bourbon (anyone?)... those are some rich and complex flavors/smells...Instead Pure Malt tastes more the way I imagine a whiskey scratch-and-sniff would smell ...
And I am an A*men fan.

louisdav
louisdav

A smell of cardboard (or something similar) which i can not stand. Eurgh. When that goes it's ok. I never wear this though.

cerrucci
cerrucci

I have nothing to say about it. The unbeatable amount of loves from different cologne lovers proved everything. On me, it smells like the original A*Men, but if I spray it on my shirts, it gives a different aroma, more like beer or more fancy, whisky. Love it.

harlemmal
harlemmal

I brought a sample of this on eBay and even though I thought it was good I was not blown away. Months later I saw it was available on the TM website and thought hey I'll purchase it and sell it in a year or two. I could not help myself, I opened the box and I am glad I did. The sample did it no justice. Maybe it was left out in the sun or heat but the purchased cologne is awesome. I can smell the A men in the back with the boozy note. It projects well and last for hours. I do not think it is for the masses. Like with Angel you have to like a gourmand scent that can be considered over the top. To the more advanced noses this is a delight.

kambelzful
kambelzful

Pure Malt is one of the best things I have ever smelled, and in my opinion is better than a lot of other sexy fragrances I like. It's better than La Nuit, Dior Homme Intense and blows away L'Instant de Guerlain. There is NOTHING out there on the market that smells like this.

I get a patchouli opening, along with a distinct moderate rubber note, similar to bvlgari black. The rubber note stays through the whole fragrance, anyone else get that? Also in the opening I get a strong sweet note, which is hard to tell what I’m smelling, but I think it might be like a sugar cookie vibe, along with a strong Blackberry note, and some hints of cedar in the background. It’s pretty sweet, but a little tangy at the same time. But it indeed smells very sexy and delicious, from top to bottom. The middle is when the fragrance becomes a little powdery to my nose, the patchouli goes away, and the blackberry turns into more of a strawberry. This is also when the whiskey/malt note starts coming into play. It is a very smooth sweet whiskey note, which is sort of hidden under the berry, powderiness and sweetness. The dry down is when I get all of the Caramel, Vanilla and Chocolate gourmand side of Pure Malt. Imagines Angel Men without the tar and burning coffee, with berry and whiskey added to it. That is what you are left with and it is gorgeous. SEXY STUFF! My #2 Fall Fragrance and #1 Winter Fragrance.

crestfallen
crestfallen

Pure Malt is a rich, boozy, caramel sweet scent with a synthetic cherry/strawberry vibe. Really a very nice fragrance while it lasts. You get about 2 hours of decent projection and then it stays very close to the skin. Works best in the COLD weather.

I think its "limited edition" availability has greatly influenced the popularity of Pure Malt. That being said, it's still the best A*Men fragrance w/ the original Angel being a close second (mostly bc PM is way more versatile). Glad I am one of the few that wears this

sebjar

This fragrance is orgasmic. You can eat it up, it's that good! I can't get enough of it.

SwagScent
SwagScent

This is one of the most overrated frags in the fragrance in community. It smells like sweet non-alcoholic beer. It's not bad, but it appears a bit dated. Prior to it's re-release, I was so caught up in the hype that I almost got jerked out of my money trying to buy it, until I contacted Paypal. It is decent juice, but there are better fragrances out there.

Jay88
Jay88

It is a very pleasant gourmand, The dry-down in particular is lovely!

However, it is just not for me. I fee slightly embarrassed wearing it because it can potentially be very divisive. My preferences are changing, I used to like unique and big projection smells but now I feel more comfortable wearing inoffensive fragrances.

People around you will love it or hate it, it will get you noticed because it is not the typical men's fragrance. I'm currently deciding whether or not to ebay pure malt.

This is more versatile than original A*Men but still can't call it a versatile fragrance. I think the key is knowing when to wear it. I feel the best place would be date or club given it's projection and uniqueness. Definitely not a work smell!

chris.budoyan
chris.budoyan

This cologne smells amazing its similiar to pure havane except that strong sweet smell is replaced by a calm whisky scent

miaminmtl
miaminmtl

Tried this at The Bay in Toronto. Smells better than the original A Men for sure!

If anyone has a bottle for sale in the GTA please let me know.

dooli

I have a brand new, unopened bottle of this for sale. pm me if you're interested.

kushmo
kushmo

Overrated!!!! On my skin it last about 15 to 20 minutes. I have never got one compliment while wearing Thierry Mugler's A*men Pure Malt.Stays 2 close 2 the skin. It's an okay fragrance for bedtime with that special person or if used as an air freshener for the bathroom after a dump. Not enough bang for the bucks.This fragrance has nothing on Bond #9's New Haarlem.

6.0 GTO
6.0 GTO

I just bought this and its Very Strong and Bold it lasted all day..im not sure if its for me.Not much of a dry down here..im not saying its bad but im not one for bold cologne..On the other hand my ex girlfriend came up to me when i went out with the boys i was buying shots and looked down and guess who ...she said you smell amazing like always..Awkward!!

leecher88
leecher88

mmmmm lovely really

Finally i sampled it 10ml and i am happy with it and maybe in the future i will buy me a bottle

Its also heavy but not as he classic a*men !

Stays on my skin about 8-10 Hours

First 3-4 Hours is very heavy then it calms down

Yes Strawberry is something you get out of the fruity notes but not only strawberry also other notes some berries (blueberry, rasperry and other berries ) i would guess

Definitely i would recommend it for someone who wants to try something new not compareable

kavi
kavi

My scent of the day, well, pretty much my scent of Autumn/Winter, it is THAT good!

100% agree with "Mighty lion", Pure leather to me was just terrible, DO NOT blind buy that, sample it and see for yourself. A shame really, it could have been amazing.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Pure Malt equals "Pure Excellence".. Smells like a blend of refined Louis the 13th Cognac with a sweet cherry non cloying twist .. Extremely seductive can be worn for evening or daily use and in cool to cold weather.. By far my fave Thierry mugler fragrance and I have them all.. Also a word to the wise Stay clear of Pure Leather by TM one of the worst synthetic,burnt rubber, fake leather colognes that I have ever smelled.. It is actually offensive!!!

Kdu
Kdu

Fragrance masterpiece, the first day I already felt loved!

Dr_Spazmo
Dr_Spazmo

Finally I can finally say that i can review this. It took me over a year to finally get this and I think it was worth the wait. This stuff also deserves its hype because it is just so different.

Initial Spray: You get a bit of the original angel men for about 5 minutes.

Drydown: Berries starts to come in with whiskey to give it a bit of a kick. Very nice stage which lasts you anywhere between 1-3 hours.

Heart Notes: Caramel joins this mix and its a smoky caramel not a very sweet caramel like angel men is. Whiskey kind of backs off at this point which makes it a bit more smoother. It does give off a rubbery vibe during this stage.

Basenotes: Original angel men drydown with intensified caramel. Berries are still present with a little bit of whiskey. Very nice indeed !

Final Rating:

Longevity: 8/10 (Lasts 6-8 hours on me which is good for me and more then enough)

Projection: 9/10 (This stuff is pretty potent, especially in the projection department. People WILL smell you with this on)

Sillage: 8/10 (It does leave a pretty big trail and people will notice you)

Scent: 9.5/10 (Could of got a perfect 10 if it didn't have that rubbery smell)

Final Rating: 8.6/10 (Great addition to anyone's collection and a must have !)

kida2010
kida2010

Hype de-railed lol. Its a great scent but certainly nothing to wet your knickers over. Very strong, thick, sweet, complex, HUGE blast of dark berries at the beginning, then some kind of malt note. But bare in mind it really doesnt smell of whiskey at the end of the day, if you ignore all that it just smells like a sweet fruity smooth smell.

512ebedgar
512ebedgar

i want some im in austin tx some pls let me know 512ebedgar@gmail.com

sebjar

I loved this but I didn't really really love Pure Malt until this morning. I put a whole bunch of spritz on me and i'm eating this up all the way. This stuff is so tasty! I get the malt and whiskey notes from this but I also get a lot more sweet notes as well. Kind of like a rum and coke or maybe whiskey and coke? It's now become my favorite Thierry Mugler just after B*Men. I just can't get enough of this fragrance. Luckily I'm taking my bottle along with me so I'll be able to sneak squirts in here and there because I can almost eat this stuff up as it's that good. So juicy. It's one of the wettest smelling fragrances I've ever had the pleasure of having. It's all juice and good juice. It's orgasmic. Can we say that here?

So here's my Thierry Mugler list in order of my favorites:

Pure Malt
B*Men
A*Men
Cologne
Sunessence
Pure Havane
Pure Coffee

I have not tried Pure Leather yet. Anyone recommend it?

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

This afternoon I ventured to wear a full Pure Malt. Now has to draw a little more about him:

At the opening remained the same impression, that the note refers to malt whiskey, but with less alcohol content than other perfumes that I have here. With about 5 minutes there is also a really fruity tone that appears along with the vanilla, but I can not identify any fruit that comes close to this smell, perhaps a cherry, but the scent is not identical, it's more just a reminder of that fruit. At times the tone of sweet caramel oriental notes to remember, but my nose is a reminder, nothing compared to caramel definitely present in traditional A * Men.

With pass, or - least 1h gives notice to the smooth woody tone that reminded me of the cedar. If Patchouli is also a dose much less offensive than the traditional A * Men. The fruity tone, to me means indefinite, and Eastern remained prominent all the time.

Scent: 8 (It's a good flavor, but judging by the case of a limited edition and the most hype of Mugler, I guess you can not have a grade higher than this. Moreover I did not think something so different).

Projection: 7 (nothing bombastic, more discreet projects a little in the first hour. Well timid compared to Pure Havane and the Taste of Fragrance).

Longevity: 7 (8 hours approx. Less than Pure Havane and Taste of Fragrance)

Versatility: 7 (At this point I think he does better than the traditional Havane and, although it is a scent for cold weather).

Age: 20 years or more (Nothing scary for young).

Anyway, good perfume, but I still think the Pure Havane and A * Men best.

BAM67
BAM67

I realy would like to buy this one, but on ebay it is too expensive.
Anyone has a bottle left and wants to sell it?
Does not have to be a new one.
Mail me at gelepipi@hotmail.com

stromfish
stromfish

Just like the original, this flanker smells very unatural, synthetic to me.
Not my idea of what a perfume is.

grampz
grampz

Who thought that booze could smell so good in a fragrance? TM of course, a well blended, very pleasant and comforting type of fragrance. Ok, so maybe the hype of this fragrance you would expect it to be mind blowing, i get that and i could agree to a certain extent. When i wear this i dont go into places expecting people to comment on what im wearing, i dont get that from this, instead i wear it because its pleasant to me, comforting, suits my style. This whiskey note doesnt have that potent "alcohol" type smell if you will, it is rounded off by a sweet fruity accord with woody (patchouli) undertones that give this a sweet yet masculine vibe that comes off as non offensive but rather inviting. When it begins to dry down the amber shines just leaving a hint of the whiskey, still present but not as strong. As far as pojection, i feel it projects well within the first 2 hours, after that it does get closer but is still recognizable, sillage on it is great, i get the most feedback when walking by people. I get a good 6-8 hours+ which is good enough for me. This and Pure Coffee are my favourite flankers with this just being a tad better, overall it is my current favourite scent, and remember not just because of smell but because of its style and overall approach. It is great to try if you especially disliked Amen and wnated to give that line another chance! that is all i got for Pure Malt!

BananaChiu
BananaChiu

Really Nice Fragrance! Smells really sweet, perfect time to use it in Toronto, just starting to get cold.

If anyone is interested, I still have a few bottles in my stash that I can sell off. PM me if interested. Prefer to deal with people in the GTA

burgundyaltima
burgundyaltima

first time smelling pure malt after all the positive feedback ..i was disappointed...its not a bad scent..just not what expected..very overrated...Try before buying!

farhan.hameed1
farhan.hameed1

samatl
i want to buy your PUre malt
i am in TX
please email me
toronto_troubleshooter@yahoo.com

samatl74
samatl74

OK, I love fragrances and I own over 50 of them. Unfortunately, unlike the majority, I do not like this scent. I do sorta like the boozy vibe it gives off at the beginning but I don't care WHAT people say there is a Rubber/Tar vibe in it that is reminiscent of the original A Men. I can see maybe SHAFT pulling this one off but its dank and ultimately unpleasant to my nose. It honestly reminds me of a DUI. Whiskey with tar and rubber. Highly hyped all over the internet but I would sell mine in a heart beat. A gourmand that says "I am spending the night in jail" all over it.

If anybody wants to by a bottle minus 8 sprays let me know. I will sell it to you for CHEEEP.

noirdrakkar

I hate the original A-Men. Pure Malt and Pure Havane are just okay. But I LOVE Pure Malt.

Sweet, boozy, and powerful. Dries into an excellent vanilla chocolate gourmand backed by that signature patchouli note.

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I have to wonder what I would have thought of this if I had been given an unlabeled decant, not knowing that it was an Amen flanker. I wouldn't have been thinking of Pure Coffee, and I wouldn't have been looking for whiskey/peat scent as in good Scotch. To me the opening is too sweet to be whiskey, and I see why others think it smells like a sick drunk; but I just picked up the shirt I was wearing yesterday when I tested Pure Malt, and the lingering dry down smells delicious-- like raisin danish, I swear. Maybe that 'malt' scent is registering as 'yeasty' to my nose, the vanilla and fruit have calmed down and it's really fantastic.
I think I might get a bottle after all; if you use eBay prices for Pure Coffee as any measure, Amen flankers are the best place to invest your money.

Mosschops
Mosschops

I'm wearing this right now and it's soooo warm and masculine. More for autumn/winter wear. I've also got the Havane edition - and there's not too much difference between them to be honest. But, still a great powerful fragrance that get's many compliments from the ladies.

rajeev
rajeev

outstanding. so man, so powerful.
dont think too much. get ur bottle, wont disappoint u.

"Excite me, ignite me

Stone"

- Goldfrapp

fubar1963
fubar1963

Really Crestfallen? I would much rather want to know what the 'queers' have to say than absolutely anything you have to say! Keep your bigotry to yourself, it's beyond offensive and it disappoints me Fragrantica hasn't taken your comment off of this page....

camposg
camposg

10/10 "bad boy scent" masterpiece. Forever favorite. Wearing this will make you confident

OZ
OZ

This stuff is great! It opens with a very fruity and sweet top notes then dies down into a more malty scent, I do get something creamy in the dry down. I haven't smelled whiskey before so can't comment on it but it does remind me of alcohol.

I agree with some posters that this fragrance is more likable to men than to women. "Compliments" are hit-and-miss with this one. Pure malt is a great scent, but it's not very versatile. If you are planning to wear this on a date, there are more suitable scents out there. It's not something I'll wear for school or work. However, if you can pull this off, good for you.

dmoman
dmoman

Love woody fragrances and of all woody frags that I've sampled this one is man among boys. Unique and can see what the hype is all about. The scent smells expensive, but forking over 150$ or more isn't really worth it and a bit of a reach, Lucky for me mugler re-released this and for 88$ not bad at all.

Like I said very woody. Whisky is already has that woody scent to it and adding more woods to it makes it even more woody. The top note is just very good, one of Thee best out there for woody scent. Though the compliment it gets is a bit misleading. I use this when I'm hanging out with the guys and if you think a woman will love this you might be surprised that a few hate this stuff. Reminds them of a drunken man, unless they like the smell of burbon whisky. Men will always like this but women is a split 50/50. I've got good compliments by women after this dried down which is that typical mugler a*men scent...but more water down. So to say women isn't really fond of the first 3 hours of it but after that they do like it. Obviously a must try!!!

murysusanto

Truly remarkable, this would be an epicure, like no other. One good taste for refined, well dressed and guys with class.
I now kept one of these, pure havane and the original. Good things comes with price.

Two thumbs up and 10/10 rating

keffy
keffy

Just got my bottle of Pure Malt and A-men this morning, great stuff. if you like the opening of A-men, you will like pure malt better. This is a wonderful fragrance and im telling you, it lasts very long, it opens with the Whiskey note without alcohol and the berries with the slight A-men dry down. Man i love this stuff, its very outstanding and its worth the hype.

freddiefingers

If you live in UK you dont have to fork out to lay your hands on a bottle as it will be available in their uk store soon for under 50quid postage inclusive.I just thank God I resisted paying through the nose for a bottle.Patience huh....

ColdFuzion
ColdFuzion

This just came in the mail and I am very content with my purchase. Great fragrance

skoomaster
skoomaster

I bought this only based on the reviews and was not dissapointed. The only letdown was that compared to the original A*Men longevity and projection are not as great (though it is still a beast). Buy it from the online store before it runs out again!

murysusanto

Damn! Cost me big bucks to win this over auction, beaten the other 24 bidders. Better be good. Can't say anything now until it arrives. Travelled from across the globe to reach me here.

That's how passionate I am for fragrance

scottwayne

Simply stunning....Great Blind Buy.

hundci
hundci

Very good modern version of the original AMen.malt is combined with the fruity notes for that modern vibe, and the usual mugler base is there to make it all classy.

emmanuel.santana
emmanuel.santana

THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST COLOGNES I'VE EVER BOUGHT, ANYBODY KNOW IF THEY ARE RE-RELEASING PURE COFFEE AGAIN?????? I NEED IT FOR MY COLLECTION OR I WOULD ALSO BUY IT FROM SOMEONE......IN BOX ME PLEASE...

Joker94
Joker94

I just ordered my bottle and am very excited for it to arrive!!!!

z10ffi
z10ffi

I swapped a 50 ml Terre D'Hermes for a 100ml of this. Best deal I ever made. This is by far my favourite fragrance. It's now me signature scent.

Shanester66
Shanester66

Picked up a bottle of Malt on Mugler site today...this is a blind buy based on reviews and the feedback I have gotten on this forum from you guys. I love Amen and Havane so I cant imagine me not liking this...well...I should't say that! lol Cheers.

scottwayne

Just ordered mine from the TM website. Can't wait......

Even when gourmand fragrances were my favorites, I didn't like this one. To me, the malt note smelled like a drunk guy ready to vomit. I didn't mind the base, but I didn't think it was special either. Several months later I sampled Enrico Sebastiano Fine Cologne, which has a similar base but starts out with an "old school" quality before transitioning into it, so I bought some of that one (enough to last a lifetime, I'd guess, since I have a huge rotation). More than a year after that, I acquired a bottle of Joop! Jump Summer Temptation, which has a similar base as well (and again, I like the opening of that one better). If you must have 1 to 2 hours of the strong malt note, and you like the base, then Pure Malt is for you. If you want the base but with a different opening, you have some options (and there are probably a few I have yet to sample that also have that kind of base, other than those of the A*Men series and the two I mentioned).

dean.okoh
dean.okoh

Yep i recieved that too. Looks like its a US re'release and im in UK. Fingers crossed we get it too.

خیلی دوست دارم تستش کنم .اصلا گیر نمیاد

benjililin
benjililin

I have a 99% full bottle of Pure Malt for sale if anybody is interested! Please PM me if so

onixx
onixx

Wonderful scent. Really similar to Animale Animale just without the musky notes that Animale Animale has. The booze in Pure Malt is definitely its most dominant trait. So dominant to me that everytime I sniff my wrist, I get a buzz! I dunno if its worth the price gouged prices on ebay but to each their own.

CHSeifert
CHSeifert

Weirdest thing - I get a definite chocolate note in this in the mid and basenotes, not a faint whiff - but CLEAR chocolate. Chocolate should be big part of the mid and basenotes in this fragrance !

gregmech26
gregmech26

This is the most amazing club scent. Total strangers come up to me asking what I'm wearing....and I'm an unemployed, obese, balding fat guy pushing forty! This scent is a chick magnet.

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

have one brand new in box and cellephane looking to swap for Creed GIT or Musc Ravaguer

manofscents
manofscents

just unwrapped this out of the box and gave it a quarter of a spray(u know the one when u 1st press the sprayer of a new bottle and nothing comes out till finaly u get that little bit) just that little bit and i was like WOW. the 2nd spray wich was a full spray was a burst of warmth sweetness and earthyness that really intrigued me. very great smelling, dammit i dont normally give fragrs this title cause most dont deserve it but heck this ones a MASTERPIECE!

spartan
spartan

All the Hype is deserved! What an absolutely incredible fragrance! I own two bottles and will never sell or trade them. Well maybe if the price is right? Anyway, Why doesn't Thierry Mugler sell this and charge double or even triple the price?!? Not really sure of the competence of his top brass, they let the remaining bottles sell on ebay for $250 to $350 but won't capitalize on this!?? Hey Mr. Mugler hire me, you need A real captain at the helm. I will triple your drop!!

1 point lost for incompetence in marketing!!

williamvargas

lucky to have purchased it before it went out of distribution and the hype began, it is well worth the accolades ...a wonderful , boozy sweet , classy fragrance..just fills the air with a masculine, but also a pretty quality about it. always a lot of compliments, almost could use this other ways besides a cologne...could you imagine your car smelling like this when you climbed in...one of my all time favorites, i think it is defintely more of a colder weather type snuggly fragrance. you do not need a lot but even when overapplied you create a ambience of smelling wonderful, wow, ..easily a top ten of mine. wonderful fragrance, the prices on ebay right now are staggering, but even if i had an extra i would not sell it.. just in case they don't bring it back, sure wish they would. five stars..
have never had anyone tell me they did not like the way this one smells..not saying everyone will fall over with it, but it is a warm aromatic pleasing scent..worth the money? at regular list yes indeed, the ebay prices who knows.. you decide that.
( smells wonderful on a sweater)
p.s. I tried using a spray of A men and then 3 or 4 sprays of pure malt ..that is a great combo..try it.. wow.

Dreamer81
Dreamer81

Pure Malt is second Muglers flanker of groundbreaking A*Men. It is equally bold and almost as much as obnoxius as its older brother.

On top there is huge blast of sweet whiskey like note that is unlike anything I smelled before. Very nice. Couple of minutes later scent moves into middle notes that are IMO its weakest part and for an hour or two you can smell plastic/synthetic like ingredients that are morphing whiskey note into its best part - patchouli + caramel drydown. This drydown is great, lasts for many hours and is sexy and masculine.

Pure Malt IMO is not as complex as A*Men but is slightly more masculine and probably more wearable for most men, but to me it is still more of a party fragrance than daily wear.

I really wish that middle notes would smell natural and scent would be more wearable but for versatility we have another Mugler flankers here, right?

Overall 8/10 from me.

6 Above average
5 Average

noor85
noor85

I really dislike this scent and A men as well which is smell like pure malt,but got something for you guys there is cheap brand fragrance that 95% identical to pure malt you can get it for 15$ or less with shipping it name DIABLE BLEU BY CREATION LAMIS , it has great projection and lasting power .

shixiand
shixiand

To me A*Men Pure Malt is Havane's darker predecessor, which differs from the sweetish scent of tobacco by bitter tones. The first impression on applying it is a definite and acrid scent of whisky, then of delicate vanilla, which in the end is the leading note. What strikes me most is the earthy, turfy tone, almost smoky at times. It's like nothing I've ever encountered before. This scent, just as all A*Men limited editions, is exceptional - elegant but not too much so, less insolent than Pure Havane and lasting... forever. It's a perfect evening scent. Despite its many pros, I still prefer Pure Havane, whose brilliant mixture of scents stole my heart from the very beginning. It is just a matter of taste, really.
The only vice would be the price of A*Men Pure Malt, ranging from 200-500$ on bidding sites.

Without entirely understanding why, I am falling in love with A*Men Pure Malt, and it's only been my second wearing. This is yet another Thierry Mugler fragrance that has thrilled me beyond words and hit me right in the face with its monster sillage.

A*Men Pure Malt is quite sweet and boozy at first spray, perhaps a little too much for some. It reminded me of insect repellant, which I can assure you was not a very pleasant introduction. Thankfully, once settled, A*Men Pure Malt takes a more boozy-gourmand approach with malt, whiskey, fruits and syrupy amber.

Sweet accords in masculine fragrances are forgiven if amber features in the composition. As much as I love wearing A*Men Pure Malt on my own skin, I feel compelled to hand over the sample to my boyfriend as it smells so much better on him. The gourmand qualities become almost intoxicating, like some kind of exotic love potion on a man.

I only became aware of this flanker's existence around the same time that it was beginning to disappear from the shelves. A kind swapper provided me with a sample of this a few years on, and now I'm even more disappointed that this fragrance was a limited edition. It needs to be brought back.

A*Men Pure Malt lasts and lasts, and the sillage, although not as strong as the original A*Men, has a kick to it. The drydown is perhaps the best stage of the development, with a subtle, slightly musty whiskey accord, and smooth, smoky woods. I cannot even begin to put my adoration into words.

Thierry Mugler always has an uncanny way of putting a fun little twist on every flanker he makes. Who knew that a malt-based fragrance would be such a hit. Here's hoping that there will be many more A*Men flankers to come.

Kain
Kain

Another masterpiece from TM house.
This fragrance start with sweet, delicious, sexy and great smell of malt and that chocolate vibe of the original with almost boozy smell.
This opening remind me of a big glass of bear plus whiskey in it! very pleasant and sensual smell.
Be honest with you, it's a linear fragrance, so the smell will not change on your skin.
It's not as strong as the original A'Men but still it does have a very good projection and longevity.

يك شاهكار ديگه از خانواده تيري موگلر
اين عطر بوي خطي داره و از اول تا آخر تغيير چنداني نميكنه. بنابراين توضيحي كه ميدم در مورد بوش براي از اول تا آخر هست
رايحه ابتدايي اين عطر تركيب بسيار خوشبو، جذاب و سكسي مالت و شكلات هست كه بوي بسيار دلپذيري داره
بويي شبيه يه ليوان بزرگ پر از آبجو كه توش ويسكي ريختن و كمي هم شكلات بهش اضافه كردن
پخش بو و ماندگاريش از نسخه اورجينال كمتره اما بازم هم پخش بو و هم ماندگاريش بسيار خوبه
ميخواين برين سر قرار يا پارتي؟! اينو بزنين! به طور حتم يه چيزي گيرتون مياد!!! :دي
فقط يه بدي كه اين عطر داره اينه كه ليميتد اديشن هست و الان تو بازار خيلي خيلي بد پيدا ميشه

pure_dreamer

One of the best fragrances known to man... believe the hype... im happy i got my bottle for £45 while it was still out ;)

gabriel.acosta
gabriel.acosta

The notes make this fragrance are delicious, and by the comments, is seen to be a great parfum.

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS STUFF. Best out of the all the Mugler fragrances. Top is better than any other and the drydown is fantastic. You get that creamy caramel boozy part of it. This has to be my favorite fragrance. Normally i dont like fragrances that are so popular so the good thing about this is that it may be hyped but not too many people have it.

id
id

Sweet vanilla woody scent on my skin very similar to Lolita Lempicka L just less sugary and made for men.

Roqfort
Roqfort

Nothing special. First 2-3 hours I felt whisky, after it was like watered A*Man. Very weak A*Man. One of the most overrated scents, but some people like it. Next will be maybe Pure Bacon or Pure Cheesburger. I don't get it. Better to buy A*Man. Better projection and longevity and much cheaper.
I've bougt Pure Malt for 47 pounds and after couple weeks sold for over 100 on ebay. That was the only profit, to have Pure Malt.
If you like the smell, like a drunkard after a party - take it...

al1nonly
al1nonly

I got this recent. $200 on ebay -__-..anyway i love it. it is WAY OUT OF THIS WORLD. i was wearing and was thinking "do i really smell this good, is this really me? wtf." I lie to you not. This fragrance is out of this world.

pure_dreamer

Honestly one of the best things I have ever smelt apart from MI this stuff is the best!!!

If your a lucky person like me to have a bottle then life is good! :D

edward.shebar
edward.shebar

Amazingly different opening,hint of Amen without harshness and drys down like mild Dior homme Intense.

spirit966
spirit966

As I've moved on to niche. I really don't know when I will ever use this. Willing to part with my unused, unopened Pure Malt if anyone likes to collect this one.

RobbieX

I smelled this is a store....guess what!!...I WANT ONE TOO!

andy
andy

i want this juice its so good

malhotrajay
malhotrajay

Most hyped up cologne.....fellow cologne reviewers sell me a bottle if u got 1 to spare!!!!????

Dad jax
Dad jax

In Hungary it is really hard to find, i am not sure about the online shops, i bought it from Italy and loving it every now and then : )

Mick5781
Mick5781

another masterpiece from Mugler

Labaloo
Labaloo

I have died and gone to paradise, swimming in a pool of fine scotch- don't mourn for me!

kpkp_cologne
kpkp_cologne

I love this stuff,specially for the first one hour there is whiskey and warmness, damn who would hate that!

adrianocgo
adrianocgo

Wow...i'm surprised. The best cologne of TM together B*Men. Incredible longevity on my skin and a graceful sillage. I received a lot of compliments wearing this.

Thank You, Thierry Mugler!

sam4freedom74
sam4freedom74

I have to be honest. I heard about this cologne all over the internet about how amazing it was. I got some and let me tell you. I hate this stuff. It does kinda smell good in the opening, you can def smell the whiskey note in it. But the smell itself afterwards reminds me of a broken bottle of whisky all over hot ashpalt. All the gals I asked what they thought said the same thing that it smells like rubber. This is not an appealing cologne at all and I still don't understand how people rejoice in this stuff. I am selling my bottle if anybody is interested.

bejahu
bejahu

Outstanding men's winter fragrance. It opens with whiskey and berries: lots of berries. It smells a little of cherry or berry cough syrup, which is a smell that I happen to really like. After two hours or so, the berries fade into the background and are joined by a light caramel and chocolate scent that is manly and delicious. Longevity is superb. I get 8-10 hours. I strongly recommend this to anyone that is interested in a gourmand fragrance. Superb!

TeWy
TeWy

Probably the most over-rated fragrance of all-time.
What you get is a strong malt scent coupled with a slight fruitsy note in the background which you can barely notice.
Everything else is overshadowed by that overpowering malt smell which a lot of people are not very fund of, including myself.
I didn't study its drydown since right of the bat, this one repulsed me.

Not that I dislike drinking a whisky or smelling its odor at a bar from time to time, but it's not exactly the kind of thing I would pay to smell like.

Maybe for very special occasions.

Besides, I know this fragrance is quite rare in some countries (not in France, mine, at least) but I would definitely recommand you to NOT blind buy it, unless you're a real gourmand/whisky fan.

lovescully
lovescully

Now this is more like it! After my dissapointment with Pure Coffee and not being a huge fan of the original A*Men's (preferring B*Men) strong tarry note, I think Mr Mugler has finally found just the right balance.

This is really great from the delicious sweet malty liquor top notes right down to the subdued & gentle A*Men base. Other than the longevity not being nearly as good as A*Men, it's hard to find much fault with this.

Now I just have to wait for my bottle of Pure Havane to arrive in the mail and the collection will be complete. I'm just hoping that Havane is more in the vein of Malt and not so similar to Coffee.

For what it's worth, my order of preferrence (so far) for the Mugler Men series is:
1. Pure Malt
2. B*Men
3. Ice*Men (a much reviled & misunderstood beast!)
4. A*Men
5. Pure Coffee

Buysblind
Buysblind

My favorite gourmand fragrance.

Pure Malt opens with a strong whiskey note at the top, that is slightly fruity as well, and quickly blends into a heart of rich, smooth caramel and chocolate. Beneath the chocolate and caramel one can detect a dark, lush vanilla. This composition creates a unique, sweet fragrance with remarkable depth. Due to its depth and balance the sweetness associated with pure malt does not smell cheap or synthetic in any way. Instead, it may remind you of a most lavish dessert served with after-dinner liqueurs in a fine restaurant. As the booze fades the dessert-like composition takes center stage and persists for hours, supported by a background of soft woods (oakmoss and patchouli) which emerge during the dry-down.

This is an extremely inviting fragrance that begs others to get close and bask in its rich, comforting aura. It works wonders in the colder months as a date scent or for nights spent on the couch watching a movie with your S.O. It is not nearly as harsh or abrasive as the original A*Men (no tar or coffee notes, patchouli is reduced considerably) and unless over-applied, it is difficult to imagine Pure Malt offending anyone.

Projection is very good and the longevity is excellent. I can only imagine someone disliking this if they are averse to any kind of sweet fragrances, as it is fairly sweet.

Pure Malt is highly sought after for good reason. Few fragrances are as equally delicious and wearable, unique yet familiar, enticing and comforting. To put it plainly: It just smells damn good.

silentrich
silentrich

The whiskey and berry notes are in the opening which lasts 30 to 45 minutes. After this point it's a tamer version of A*men. Doesn't have great sillage or longevity and is very over hyped for what it is.

I've to be honest, while Pure Malt smells good I still don't get all the fuss about it.
A toned down A*Men "enriched" by a slight "Malt" note during the first hour. The rest is the usual caramel-chocolate-patchouli combo smelled in the original version.

Now, after 13 years, what's the point in launching a flanker that is definitely too similar to the original except tapping us all for money?

Rating: 6.5/10

KinG JameS
KinG JameS

Bein a big time Whiskey Single Malt Fan I bet this would really appease me, does anyone know whether the whiskey note is similar to that in Baldesarinni AMBRE? I completly adore it and would be hence worth the bucks, am assuming its expensive!

EseveN
EseveN

It will be available again on mugler.com.
September, probably (from a TWEET of mugler circle)

=)

MrCoolink
MrCoolink

This one is not near as potent as AMen. It is pretty light to me. Has a nice soft whisky note in the background and stays linear to the end. I was expecting more from this one.

Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 8.0/10
Bottle Presentation: 9.0/10 (Nice bottle and box)
Overall: 8.0/10 (A little disappointed)
This is a try to me.

cte
cte

at the start its very strong. like everyone says, i get a very powerful whiskey and berries aroma. this is delicious. around the 2 hour mark this completely vanishes... the dry down is a very light and creamy chocolate vanilla. completely different to the initial spray. 4 hours in and i am struggling to smell it on my arm. reaching 6 hours the fragrance has dissapeared. this is a real shame.

i have tested the original a*men and havane. both these have better projection and longevity compared to p-malt.

i give pure malt 8.5. longevity is a major issue for me, but during its short life its amazing. :)

ps: the spray sucks by the way (same with all the TM rubber case bottles i believe). the moulded rubber stops you pressing cleanly on the pump inside. if you don't get it right it dribbles and makes a mess. there is a mod where you can cut the rubber to make it spray perfect, but then your bottle is a little bit scruffy.

aiyoh
aiyoh

I really like the Pure Malt. It is exotic, sexy, and a bit boozy. This fragrance reminds me of Montale Wild Aoud but less metallic. I also love the versatility of this fragrance. It can be used all year round with good longevity. I'll give 9/10 for the Pure Malt.

murysusanto

I wanted this so much..just couldn't get it here, the last time it was available in singapore you have to purchase 250 dollars worth of mugler's product and they'll give you pure malt as a compliment. But now i got my pure havane, so happy that it smelled so good, i'll be ok not owning a pure malt.

edooardo
edooardo

Unique
Wearable and confortable

First, opening: whiskey and toffee as pure coffee but lighter
Second: berries and caramel
End, dry-down: amber vanilla as gualtier^2

As said: "Sillage is less loud, longevity is quite good but not so strong as A*Men."

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Interesting. I was expecting something bitter, smoky and boozy, but instead the first impression is sweet, gourmand, fruity, and powdery-musky, much closer to Angel (the female Angel since I haven’t tried the male one yet) than to a bottle of scotch!

After the initial sweetness burns off a little, I do smell a little bit of a boozy note, but it’s accompanied by a lot of tonka and it’s not nearly as smoky or peaty as I would have imagined. It’s as if a teaspoon of scotch had been added to a cup of fruit-flavored sugar syrup and that cocktail was then used to flavor tonka-heavy pipe tobacco. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a wonderful fragrance, just 180 degrees away from what I was expecting.

There’s plenty of sillage, even with a tiny dab on the wrist, but it’s not overpowering. People around you will smell it, but not gag. In the end, after 5 hours or so, the drydown is a very long-lasting fruity vanilla musk. I like A*M-PM a lot, and find it easier to wear than Angel. However, be warned that it’s not primarily the dry, boozy-smoky scent that the name suggests.

blackice
blackice

It's quite a nice scent for me. It's sweet, dark & complex.

The opening with malt is great on my skin for at least 3 hours. And getting to middle sometimes it's remind of Pure Coffee & A*Men with chocolate maybe some coffee.

Stays on me over 12 hours, nothing more i could ask for it.. Project at least 5 hours, after that just stays close to the skin.

Not my favorite from the line of Thierry Mugler, but it's a must if you're a fragrance collector.

Overall just nice, value for my money if in retail cost, which now it's kinda hard to find. I gave it 8/10.. The best from designer house..

takeitupthenose

Let me start by saying I don't do hype, so I don't care if 5 million people smell like butt, I won't join them LOL. So with that said lets talk about Pure Malt.

Pure Malt is divine. Plain and simple. A whiskey, cherry, ceadery, vanilla, fragrance. Everyone so far has complimented this, it projects like a monster and stays at least 12 plus hours on my skin (especially the spray under the shirt). I love this fragrance, not because of the hype. I don't own another A*men fragrance and I don't own Mugler Cologne. I smelled A*Men and may have to revisit. I searched for Pure Havane like a run away slave who stole two pigs on the way out and it is okay, but by far this is lovely and I can't get enough of it.

Forget the hype and forget the people who don't like it because of the hype. This is a solid, projecting monster of a fragrance that I will somehow keep as long as I can find it reasonably priced.

Jave26
Jave26

This has to be gold in a bottle, the top notes to me are so-so but the dry down is where the magic happens WOW!!! I love it. I,m glad my girlfriend got this for me or I probably would'nt have bothered with this thumbs up a winner for me.

twlahue
twlahue

Oh Yeah,
Perfect,
I get about 5-6 hours, not as long as some people do, but, wow, this one is fantastic.
Can't wait to get Pure Havane

bayraktar
bayraktar

it is the ultimate cold night fragrance. It warms and makes me feel comfortable whenever I smell it. Similar to original A*men with no tar.

2CentsOnScents
2CentsOnScents

This frag has a awesome scent to it that blows A*men out of the water in my opinion. Definately lacks the longevity of the original A*men. I don't get the monster longevity and sillage out of this one like I had hoped or many has talked about. I do understand all the people that like this over A*men as far as the smell of this goes. I love the scent part of it though. Best smelling frag I own by far. Really layed back compared to its older brother A*men. I get better longevity out of some of my cheaper colognes even though this one is my most expensive. Also smells similar to the original but has a much more tolerable opening. Not so fond of the sprayer either haha
9.5 out of 10. Amazing scent I just wish it had more sillage and longevity because i like it so much.

a_mimi
a_mimi

I had a whiff of this today. Bought it blindly.. when will i ever learn?

At first sniff, i definitely smelled the whiskey note.. a bit pungent, ickk it gave me an instant headache as well.
This may work for other people but i have such bad experiences with this house's line that Thierry Mugler fragrances and I will never get along.

jmlab
jmlab

Se trata de uno de los perfumes más polémicos: lo amas o lo detestas. En mi caso, no puedo más que elogiarlo por su sofisticada unión de notas de humo, cuero, vainilla, chocolate y caramelo, que hace de A men un todo exuberante y masculinamente sexy. si quieres que alguien te recuerde por tu aroma, y te gusta ser arriesgado, es la mejor la opción.

Deetron
Deetron

Got it today – absolute great smell!!! It’s so seductive and sexy, warm and unique…the original A*MAN is more aggressive and maybe more noticeable, but PURE MALT can give something different – the whiskey notes! This mix of typical Mugler sweetness with malt-creamy notes + some woody notes is amazing! This definitely will be one of my favorite scents. If you like J.P. GAULTIER 2, or JOOP! POUR HOMME – you will like Pure Malt for sure. My LOLITA LEMPICKA AU MASCULIN is very close to Pure Malt…so if you don’t have any chance to test it, you can use Lolita au Masculin as a reference point. For me Pure Malt = Pure Pleasure :)))

RobbieX

A cross between Amen and Bmen. I prefer this to Bmen though. Really does smell good. Longevity is very good. A lovely composition.

mohmd.taha
mohmd.taha

A*Men Pure Malt is a cocktail of luxury spirits with a distinct boozy note that balances the fragrance.
The top notes are suggestive of booze then transitions into toffee-malt sweetness. The dry down smells warm with patchouli paired with bits of vanilla and musk. The boozy-caramel aroma wafts nicely in the beginning then slowly exits in the dry down. The toasty gourmand accords hold longer in the dry down making the fragrance just as refined and elegant the first time you smell it.
I love this fragrance , i love B*men also ... that means my next hunt is PURE COFFEE . Hands down, Thiery Mugler is the king of BOOZY fragrances which i love so much.

martind18
martind18

I really wanted to sample A*Men, but when I read the description and reviews of Pure Malt, I decided to start with it. I am SO glad I did, I love this. The smell is very hard to describe, but I do definitely get the whiskey reference. It's not the harsh heavy alcohol whiskey smell, but the smell it would have without the alcohol. Do yourself a favor and try this ASAP.

Gelladon

UPDATE Just got mine in the mail today. I ordered it from Nordstrom.com a few days ago. To be honest I like AMEN better but this is a top of the line fragance no doubt. I would like it more if the whiskey note at the top hung around for the trademark dry down. I am very satisfied with the purchase.

mehrdad
mehrdad

این کمپانی با عطرهای پر طرفداری که تولید کرده است برندی قابل توجه در بین مردم میباشد
آنجل پور مالت خوشبوست اما آنجل
A men
در بین تمام کارهای کمپانی تری موگلر جزو بهترین محسوب میشود و واقعا در نوع خودش عطری بی نظیر و بی همتاست و از آن دسته کارهایست که حتما از بابت نام آن از شما سوال خواهند کرد اما در مورد عطر فوق یعنی پور مالت هنوز نمیتوان نظری داد تا از بوته آزمایش بیرون آید

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Yeah, I've been hearing the hype about Pure Havane. A*Men with a blend of the best Cuban cigars on Earth (I'm runnin out on a limb here). Maybe it'll be something like A*Men with a Tom ford quality or M7 perhaps. I wonder what color the flask and star will be? Black and gold? Crimson red and chrome?

Pure Malt is boozy caramel-toffee, soon developing into smooth, fairly sweet caramelized coffee grains touched with vanilla.

Gelladon

PURE MALT IS NOW BEING RERELEASED IT IS ONLY AT NORSTROM.COM IT IS ONLY $70 SO FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SEARCHING FOR IT GO THERE AND GET IT DON'T GO TO EBAY AND PAY 100-200 DOLLARS. IT WILL ONLY BE AVALIABLE UNTIL THE FIRST PART OF 2011. AFTER THAT THEY WILL RELEASE A NEW PURE FRAGRANCE CALLED PURE HAVANE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AMEN MIXED WITH TOBACCO.......

Barney Stinson

Really, is this it?! So much hype, so not special...

What I get here is A*Men toned down with all the harsh smelling stuff removed (that is the tar note) and being replaced with a fruity boozy opening note. The further drydown and base are very similar to the original A*Men. I think if you love A*men that you at least like this too, but A*men is much more original albeit more difficult for reasons aformentioned.

Sillage is less loud, longevity is quite good but not so long lasting as A*Men.

kerrso99
kerrso99

Sorry guys but i dont rate this much, its like the coffee edition, it hits you at first and then bloody fades away to the piont nobody comments on it. A for men gets commenrs all the time but this just kind off hangs about you in the shade , sorry but wont purchase again.

stxgdv
stxgdv

To me, it comes off lighter than A*Men and easier to wear in my opinion. Also way more versatile than A*Men! I get a fruity note (almost like a mild sweet cherry pipe tobacco), whiskey, vanilla, amber scent that’s rich and woody but very smooth. The best part of this fragrance is of course, the dry down! I get a hint of woods, vanilla, smokey caramel, with that beautiful whiskey note lingering in the background. I haven’t found anything else out there like this! Very unique but the price gouging on this one is just ridiculous!

diorshowman
diorshowman

Angel Men pure malt is one of the best fragrances that I own in my collection. I dont know if I can call this a gourmand...I mean its sweet, but not edible-smelling.This is in lines with YSL's Body Kouros, which is also not a true gourmand, but is a great sweet fragrance no the less. I currently have two bottle of this stuff in my collection, which should last me a few good years. I tend not to wear it too much, as I value this thing like GOLD. The scent is just amazing -not something you have ever smelled before, especially for a designer fragrance. Pure Malt is better than a majority is niche fragrance, come to think of it. NO CREED FRAGRANCE HAS ANYTHING ON PURE MALT.I'd rather pay $200 bucks for Pure Malt than pay $200 buck for any damn Creed. I've heard Pure Malt is being re-released again this year so snatch it up while you can.

Longevity:B
Projection:B-
Uniqueness:A
Versatility:B-
OVERALL: B+

I e-mailed customer TM customer services myself, i got a reply and am told that pure malt will be available in fenwicks, house of fraiser and debenams on september 5th this year!!! im definately going to buy a bottle!!

liam0225
liam0225

I really hope they do relaunch this one, maybe i will email TM customer services myself to find out!

Barney Stinson

NEWSFLASH: According to some Basenotes members (they claim to have an email from a TM employee) there will be a relaunche of Pure Malt this fall 2010. Can't wait to give it a try and see if it lives up to the hype :)

youngreview
youngreview

i cant find it ! :(
this would be such a great edition to my collection. darn haha
thierry mugler is a genius.
taking the already fantastic a*men and aging it in whiskey barrels... wow
plus there are no dislikes on this fragrance bravo

kisherceg
kisherceg

I've tested it today. I've bought a 5 ml sample spray on ebay.
As a fan of Thierry Mugler fragrances it was a must! And I can say it's an interesting version but - unfortunately- it's not my cup of tea. On my skin it smells exactly like hot melting summer asphalt mixed with stale beer and caused me for hours a very heavy nausea even after washed it off :S

The original A*men have never smelled this way even if I used on hottest summer days. So I prefer the original or ICEman.
I recommend you to try it before buying a full bottle of it for 150-200 $!

BIG
BIG

This scent was hyped to death and after sampling it today i really don't understand why is everyone so agitated about. For me A*Men Pure Malt is a combo between Burberry London + toned down A*Men. Nothing out of this world. Get A*Men Pure Coffee instead!

Lance
Lance

This is amazing! The best in A*Men collection.
Unfortunately it's a limited edition, hard to find anywhere! :(
Anyone know where can I find this?

THIS IS THE BEST COLOGNE IN THE WORLD WITHOUT A DOUBT.AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT I HAVE NEVER WORN IT BEFORE BUT I HAVE SMELLED IT ON OTHER PEOPLE.I LIVE IN JAMAICA AND U CAN'T GET TO PURCHASE GREAT COLOGNES FROM THIERRY MUGLER. I GIVE IT 11/10

bwcw81
bwcw81

Very rich, very good quality fragrance! Last more than 6 hours on my skin. It start with a very nice woody scent, then slowly transfer to a very thick malt + coffee smell. Very nice and it last hours! Last note is mild patchouli scent.

It appears only for fall winter season as the richness may somehow annoy the person near you. The bottle is nice! Matte plastic surface, give you a firm grip to hold the bottle!

People who like malt/ coffee scent may give this a try! You will love it!

limaaa
limaaa

I would really like to own pure malt but it is discontinued.

Strawberrynet sell's it in 50 ml bottle. Is it possible?

Tarida
Tarida

This is a high quality fragrance but not daytime use. It's too boozy for daytime in my opinion.
Flashes of original A*Men mixed with soft smokey,woodsy/malt tones. 8/10

lfmars98
lfmars98

Overrated fragrance. Milder than A*Men but to me it just smells too boozy to during the daytime unless you want people to think you have a drinking problem. Moderate sillage and it last 8 hours on my skin. A*men is still the champion in my book. 7.5/10.

Veedabestchef

good thing i got the samples i didnt open the real one yet its still seal plastic..i bought 3 of this on ebay around 50 bucks and now its going higher...price i bought was descent that was like 3 months ago..im glad i got it for my collection

smells wonderful..i love the chocolate

Cassiano
Cassiano

When I wore my sample of A* Men Pure Malt I got shocked with that aroma. To me, it is better than A* Men Pure Coffee.

I loved the smell of caramel with the delicious Scottish Malt. This is my type of scent. Definitely!
Yet, in its base, some note reminded me of Polo Explorer (which is just one of the few Polos I like) with its mate tea notes.

Another Mugler’s scent with great quality.
Highly recommended!

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

Got small sample.I smell my wrist now, feel honey-smokey-chocolatey man, with power.
Sexy, not annoying, not memorably or nauseatic too much.Just right for ...

After reading all reviews one thing I can say for myself: I still would have sex with someone, who wear this perfume.(I mean not literally, but in theory!)

Probably I ask my husband to try it for me tomorrow.

ausamamira
ausamamira

I find it an overrated fragrance that is very ordinary IMO and not my cup of tea.... there must be a reason for all of these positive reviews of course...but honestly i dont get it.... it is a little bit cloying and i cant stand wearing it .... the smell is nice however ...i would'nt say i dislike it ...but i dont love it

Veedabestchef

i bought 3 of these and its limited addition...its hard to find this online so i bought at ebay...its smeels great...now i have all the collection of thierry mugler fragrance

gabripe
gabripe

Perfect evolution for thierry mugler, pure malt is good!

ahmed ehab
ahmed ehab

this one is definetly sweet and utterly irresistible !
it is warm , rich and sweet . it has a similar opening to A*MEN but takes about minutes to transfrom into a delightful caramel , chocolaty scent. then comes along a smoky tone which gives the irresistible factor i mention earlier !!

its definelty a winner and i say go for it , it is one of those scents that make u stand out in a crowd full of sweet perfumes !!
pure malt rocks ,
one slight little issue is the longetivity , i think this doesnt last more than 5,6 hours on ur clothes and skin so just spray enough but not too muvh or u got ur self A*MEN ! but enough to keep u up till 7 hours then it fades away fast but that is all. i say its excellent for winter nights when magic and mystical creatures appear !!!!

9.5/10

da_markos
da_markos

i can't stand regular a*men. it has one note that really disturbe me. this one is wearable, nice, long lasting and make you feel like in candy shop before Xmas. for me there is almost no wishy there. maybe in 2nd or 3rd plan. like good sweet cake with some alcohol that makes those sugar bomb eatable.
Good fragrance for winter!

Cognitive Dissonance
Cognitive Dissonance

Only after wearing A*Men Pure Malt did I fully understand the story of Narcissus.
The story of a man whose handsome looks caused him to be completely egocentric and in love with himself. One day he caught a glimpse of his reflection in a river and he couldn’t look away. He ended up dying at that riverbank.
And I nearly ended up dying too, from the spell that Pure Malt put over me! In fact, if it wasn’t for a man telling me off for standing in the way of the hand dryer, I would still be in that men’s room with my wrist glued to my nose.
This is a magnificent scent. The best gourmand I have ever had the pleasure (and it is a pleasure) to smell.

I read an earlier review stating that this was the scent of a hooker... If that’s the case, paint my face with makeup and throw a 20 at me because I love this stuff!!!

guest_Tre
guest_Tre

Fantastic scent. Just get it. My wife can't stop smelling me and 'mmmmmm'ing' :-)

r0bdigz
r0bdigz

AMAZING!!! Words can't explain how good this is. The opening is highly addictive. This is so much better than A*Men and I like the original. If you can find it, buy it!

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I can still smell the caramel chocolatey tones of A*Men but mixed with the woodsy, malt whiskey undertone. Finishing with a definate oriental, smoky scent. I now own all the TM fragrances, got to say the original A*MEN and A*MEN Pure Coffee are my absolute favourites.

sashaindc
sashaindc

I'm absolutely in love with it!
As much as I like the original A*MAN - this one is even better!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Call me old fashioned but this never-ending trend of so-called gourmand note fragrances is getting on my nerves now!
Does everything we wear have to smell of food? This is such a tacky fragrance and literally smells of what is says "on the bottle": sweet, sticky, toffee malt.
Nice smelling it before tucking into your pudding, but totally uncreative in the world of good perfumery!

...oh and btw: it is totally un-masculine. This is a hooker's scent to lure you into your ...

I rest my case!

jtsmith09
jtsmith09

I was looking for a new fragrance and when I saw this in the store i sprayed it on my inner wrist and walked around the store sniffing every 10 mins and then i knew i really liked it after 20 mins so i bought it, it's really a lovely fragrance. I think is lovely at the day although it's better of a night time scent.

pirata
pirata

This fragrance is amazing! I'm a huge A*men fan, its probably my favorite fragrances, this one in particular is different but also similar in some ways, anyone who didnt like A*men would surely like this one (I think so atleast) if not id be surprised, it had a slight whisky top note then it gets smoother and when it dries down a bit you begin to smell a slight chocolatey, coffee, caramel smell, its very light with that whisky note lingering a bit, and although it might not sound appealing, it is! It really surprised me how nice it smelled, for anyone curious I say try it! I'm sure youll like it and be surprised!

WOW! WOW! WOW!

OK! totally forget what you know about A*Men because this one will blow you away.

I have a complete love affair with A*men, at the beginning it was all I wore, then someone put me off, by saying it was disgusting and that i smelt like a woman, so I put my bottle away and never wore it for over a year.

Anyways on to what i want to say about Pure Malt.

After being slightly disappointed by Pure Coffee last year, I was a little apprehensive about receiving my huge bottle of PM.

As soon as it came (along with loads and loads of amazing little TM samples) I ripped open the little tester, closed my eyes and spritzed... What was about to happen next was something of shock and pure lust.

This fragrance opens with a really boozy note, I know there isn't any actual whiskey in this, but it smells boozy and wonderful. it opens up with a really gorgeous fruity, alcoholic, vanilla, ambery scent that is completely sexy, think YSL opium for men only alot smoother and less harsh.

The best part is the dry-down, for the rest of the night I couldnt resist sniffing my wrist, this is one hell of a sexy, sensual, masuline scent. The original A*men is there but its disguised and very subtle, the harsh tar and tobacco notes are completely gone, whats left is a more woody, vanilla, amber (im not sure if there is amber in this) based fougere.

Well done Jacques Huiclier on creating the ultimate A*Men fragrance, this is definately A*men for the noughties> expensive, sexy and unbelieveably gorgeous.

P.S. This is available in Fenwicks of York and Selfridges as of last saturday 8th August 09

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

PURE MALT,Again thierry mugler comes out with another super hero for men @ one time i have had ,well i think about 17,mens cologne,trying to find the smell for me , some are to fruity,to florery,to much citrusie,or it would smell ,generic ,then one day by chance,i just about gave up,this day it found me A_MEN,wow,SUPER HEROS WANTED I could not wait to get rid of all the exspensive crap that i have ,do not get me wrong,these were all top of the line names,but not for me,now i have the smell that makes me A SUPER HERO,so being me I had to have it all,so now my collection IS, A*men,B*men pure coffee,pure malt and i just ordered I*MEN through thierry mugler web sight i do have now @thierry mugler sight my own virtual world,my own bottle to fill if you havent bin to there sight then you must check it out!!!! so til next time SUPER HEROS WANTED!!!!!!!!

sfsassy
sfsassy

WOW! Pure Malt was not what I was expecting. I like it so much more.

It's a sweet, soft and mellow scent. It does not have that have a harsh boozy note to it (what I was expecting)

I also like it better than Pure Coffee. If I had to choose between the 2 I would go with Pure Malt.

orbicon
orbicon

Pure Coffee and B*Men are both among my favorite fragrances, but, I'm a little disappointed with Pure Malt. I really wanted to experience something original, interesting and 'more'. I didn't. I don't smell malt or whiskey in this, instead just another lighter, less sweet, variation on A*Men.

junior halston
junior halston

This is a very unique scent in which the Angel Men fragrance was placed in actually oak whiskey casts and left to age by taking in all the flavors for the whiskey soaked oak.

The scent is truly amazing in that you have a very mellow fragrance with a bite and the sweet notes of Angel men totally toned down.

wakemeupalready

I WANT THIS!!!! :( I have the original and pure coffee editions! they didnt release the coffee version here in the UK until Sept last year so hopefully they will release this around the same time this year.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler 4.45 out of 5 based on 1722 ratings and 325 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.