Designers » T-Z » Woody Aromatic « Groups

A*Men Pure Shot Thierry Mugler for men

A*Men Pure Shot Thierry Mugler for men
dislike

A*Men Pure Shot Thierry Mugler for men Pictures A*Men Pure Shot Thierry Mugler for men Pictures A*Men Pure Shot Thierry Mugler for men Pictures

Thierry Mugler launches a special limited edition of men's fragrance A * Men from 1996 fourth year in a row. After A * Men Pure Coffee from 2008, A * Men Pure Malt from 2009 and A * Men Pure Havana from 2011, A * Men Pure Shot appears in early 2012.

A * Men Pure Shot edition is created by the perfumer who designed the original fragrance - Jacques Huclier. The new fragrance is fresh, aromatic, spicy and woody. Top notes cools with stimulating aromas of icy mint and juniper berries. The heart evokes adrenaline injection with spicy accords of cardamom and white pepper. Woody notes of sequoia and patchouli provide strength and intensity to the composition.

The face of the perfume is the South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, a participant in the Paralympics, the holder of world records in Running for 100 m, 200 m and 400 m, known as the fastest man in the world with both legs amputated.

The fragrance is available in a white bottle with a prominent blue star, as 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

Juniper Berries Mint

B Minor

A*Men Pure Shot Fragrance Reviews

tige60
tige60

I'm a BIG Thierry Mugler fragrance fan and I really do like Pure Shot very much as a spring & summer fragrance...the juniper berry/mint/patchouli upfront combo is truly fantastic and unique...with the pepper and sequoia thrown in it's even better...the cardamon is there but just a smidgeon and that's only if I try to imagine it being there...Pure Shot & Pure Energy are one and the same with the exact same notes listed so who knows why the exact fragrance would have two names?...irregardless, this a very different spring & summer fragrance...quite the bitter astringent fresh herbal woody concoction that has moderate to long-lasting longevity, especially if reapplied in a timely manner...if you want something that's seasonally very different, go ahead and give Pure Shot a shot or two.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

This has the element of surprise out of all A*Men flankers. The initial blast reminds you to the original A*Men, and that is so short-lived, as the fragrances starts to make way to the bracing mint-juniper duo. This has great lasting power with good silage.

orestes
orestes

Maybe the best A MAN alternative version! very interesting scent,i buy one from strawberrynet and never regret! Ideal for hot summer nights in Greece

Amparo Noir
Amparo Noir

Pure Shot? Really?
B Men is far better than this! B Men was the result of error in marketing stratergy, it should b named A*Men Pure "Whatever" instead of B*Men. This Pure Shot is the lamest A*Men flanker, despite its cool-looking bottle.

shayz
shayz

bad bad bad dont fall on it
Amazing bottle but the smell worse and weaker
I have no idea what I smell on this perfume
Anyone that smell it on me said it worse
So I threw it away
Not recommend buying without smell it first

liav24
liav24

Really good - fits the winter not for hot days, the longevity is not like the original A*MEN

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Just made my online pruchase, 2 bottles of this because the price is 60% off. I don't know now how it smells like. Can't wait for the bottles to arrive.

bobosan336
bobosan336

Tried in the store and seemed interesting. Got a sample of this and did not enjoy. This one is very harsh - bitter greens. Imagining a rugged mountain terrain, only shrubbery around. Wanted to like it but couldn't get into it and the sample went down they drain.

I got samples of all of Pures - this one was the only one that does not share the same base with the original - makes sense that it's longevity could be different.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

This is a decent A*Men flanker that was created for the Spring/Summer; as such, I like it okay. What do I get out of this one? I get green notes (reminds me of the grass in 212 Men in some ways during the opening), salt and fresh spice, a hint of sweetness, and a musky/woody vibe in the background. I couldn't place the wood note, but later learned it was sequoia which made sense.

This fragrance lasts 4-6 hours on my skin and the projection is average, which is fine for this kind of frag. Mint is listed as the most prominent note but, to be honest, I just get a big whiff of fresh, sweet green notes during the first hour until the mint separates itself from the juniper berries and patchoui. It's nice, it's refreshing, it's pleasant and I like it.

loivuong
loivuong

i blind buy this product and now i'm waiting to enjoy it. But everyone said the longevity and projection is poor. Worry about that :)

toto453
toto453

I love the scent but the projection & longevity are very poor......

ikuone
ikuone

I agree that this fragrance is fresh and minty. I blindly purchased this and i like it. Today was my first trial. I wore it 6pm,now 12 midnight and the scents still strong on me... I kind of love it...

SenseOfScents
SenseOfScents

A*Men Pure Shot / Pure Energy by Thierry Mugler

SUBJECTIVE

Among a long list of dark, rich A*Men derivatives, this one interestingly offers a fresh, cooling warm weather scent. A sharp and icy Thierry Mugler fragrance, it is starting to sound a lot like a previously discontinued summer scent from this house: Ice Men. What a shame, in all truth, as I feel Monsieur Mugler has simply brought back a slightly modified version of Ice Men under the A*Men brand.

A*Men Pure Shot is almost identical to Ice Men, though it contains a lot more patchouli. As bitter as I am about the discontinuation of my beloved Ice Men and its travesty in the form of a so-called A*Men flanker, I like this scent because of my affinity for Ice Men. Beginning with a sharp, icy blast of mint and juniper berry, this cold scent for the heat quickly dries down to a patchouli base sprinkled with white pepper. This fragrance, now relaunched again as A*Men Pure Energy – surprise, surprise - also has the aromatic quality of Azzaro’s Chrome and a slightly grassy characteristic like Carolina Herrera’s 212 Men.

OBJECTIVE

This fragrance has a fair performance given that it is intended for the warmer months of the year. Like many such colognes, it starts off quite strong, only to quickly calm right down to the skin hours after application. Despite a projection that fails to last nearly as long as its longevity, this quality makes it quite suitable for exercise. Two sprays to the neck, wrists, chest and shirt will suffice.

IMPRESSION

A seemingly forgotten scent since the discontinuation of Ice Men, why has Thierry Mugler taunted us with this unique juice served in an A*Men bottle when it actually has nothing to do with A*Men? Perhaps a desperate attempt to sustain the A*Men line, Pure Shot or Pure Energy or whatever it is still deserves credit for an invigorating, masculine scent that nicely cuts through the heat despite this marketing travesty.

PLAN

Unless you are a collector of the A*Men derivatives like myself, pass on this one if you own Ice Men. If you do not own Ice Men, go ahead and purchase either Pure Shot or Pure Energy or Ice Men, preferably Ice Men since the fresh opening lasts the longest. If your collection is, however, already replete with the typical fresh/aquatic “blue” colognes, then you are not missing much. ★★★

jude1321
jude1321

I agree with zenmonkey. this is a great, fresh, minty scent. it simply does not last very long. this is shocking because the mugler line lasts forever.

silentrich

Didn't care for it at all when I first tested it. Mainly due to poor longevity and projection. Tested it again in the heat and I loved it. Not only does it project better, it also just plain smells better when it interacts with the skin. Don't judge this on paper. It's still a skin scent, but it's really a great summer fragrance that can be had on the cheap. Give it a shot.

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

its a more watered down version of A*Men....
its a good perfume for summer...but poor longevity...
if u r a TM fan....u could get this..
personally i use it for non-bathed days... :)

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

Pure Shot opens with a very pleasant mint accompanied by a subtle sweetness. The mint is not as spicy as those in, for exemple, toothpaste. It gives a fresh aroma effortlessly.

Towards the drydown I can smell patchouli, pepper and some woodsiness along with the mint. But the whole composition is well blended and none is overpowering. It's a casual aromatic fragrance with a certain attitude. The spiciness helps lift the scent up without irritating. I feel very refreshed while wearing it.

After 7 hours the scent is still there. But the sillage is very close along the wearing. I personally consider it a good option as a fresh mint fragrance even for girls. That said, I have to admit it's not as surprising as its cousins from the same house. But still, try it blind, it's actually a lovely fragrance for summer.

skyfriend
skyfriend

Love the mint start, but the patchouli was way too overpowering for me. I have bought almost all of the Mugler fragrances over the years, and this is the only one I found unbearable.

mse-21
mse-21

This is a well-blended scent made up of sharp, fresh, and crispy combination of mint, juniper berry, and pepper in the top; and a woody-patchouli combination in the base. Although it is a very 'fresh' scent, it goes toward a 'luxurious' style rather than a 'comfy-casual' one, and in contrast to some of the reviews here I don't see it as being a sporty or gym scent.

I honestly believe Thierry Mugler did a really good job in creating this: the application of mint, juniper berry, and patchouli is really wonderful! However, since it is very different from other products in A*Men line, I think it was better to make it a new and independent perfume.

I added this to my own wardrobe and would definitely recommend trying it. Just beware that in terms of strength it is a little bit fleeting. I get a good longevity but projection is weak. Overall: 8.5 out of 10.

BradleyRay
BradleyRay

Love this juice! Just got it last night and I cant stop smelling it! I get a lot of spearmint, patchouli, and pepper. It's woody, but only during the dry down. Lasts about 2 hours on me, which upsets me, but I still love it. Got a 3.4oz for $40 so I'm not complaining. Lol.

Projection: 7/10

Overall: 20/30

vergil_s
vergil_s

well it's not followed the way that A*man series go.
the only resemblance between this one and A*man series is the bottle.
but I appreciate both line.
this is a fresh aromatic woody fragrance with a little fruity base.
and has a lot of energy for summer days.
and in my opinion this one smell realy great.
but sadly projection and logevity is bad.

یه عطر کاملا متفاوت از سری a*man
تنها تشابه شون شیشه های عطر هاست.
اما من این رو خیلی خوشم اومد
یه عطر فرش و اروم با انرژی زیاد
عطر اولش با بوی تند نعنا و یه جور بوی میوه ای که مال یه نوع توت کوهی باز میشه
در ادامه شیرینی عطر یکم بیشتر میشه و فلفل و هل میان جلو
و در اخرش هم یه بوی شیک و چوبی دارید اما خیلی هم خاص نیست
متعاصفانه دوام خوبی خیلی نداره.
ولی من خیلی خوشم اومد.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Absolutely loved the opening spray!!!! One of the few frags I purchased without waiting for the dry down.. Sadly I should have, that gorgeous opening lasted about an hour "literally" on my skin and transformed into obscure nothingness.. I returned it the following day.. To it's credit when it is present it's an extremely fresh and exhilarating ready for the heat type of scent.. So for that hour you will smell amazing!!

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

Pointing thumbs southward after sniffing this offering from Mr Mugler seems, to me, to be a bit of a bandwagon affair (especially over on Basenotes). If one is prepared to judge this fragrance in its own right and not against its brothers in the Pure line, whilst simultaneously judging the sillage and longevity separately from that boasted by its father, the mighty A*Men, then one should be able to force oneself to concur that it is in fact a very pleasant smelling juice.

I like it anyway!

And I do detect a hint of the original A*Men DNA in the dry-down. Go figure.

mehrdad
mehrdad

با درود
همانند دیگر کارهای این برند بسیار خوشبو است
رایحه ای دلنشین و آرام و در عین حال قوی دارد
طراحی قاب آن به رنگ سفید روشنی و وضوح و شاید لطافت و روانی این عطر را می خواهد بیان نماید.
با احترام
یکم فروردین 1392 - نوروز باستانی
مهرداد

murysusanto
murysusanto

Wow...so much disagree contents here, so I took a brave chances and end up purchasing it. I have all the other ones except pure coffee and now this pure shot.
As I guessed, it would be like the summer edt, it is light and doesn't last as long as the other ones but I'm happy to keep this though I wouldn't enjoy as much.
I'll just use it until I'd decide to give it away

zenmonkey
zenmonkey

Great fresh clean scent. Its a shame longevity and sillage are POOR. The rest of the Theiry Mugler line is fairly long lasting, but that is not the case here. If you are looking for a fresh scent with good performance. Move along, there is nothing here for you.

tavo
tavo

Pure shot has a new meaning now. Lol. Its actually sad.

soloManolo
soloManolo

how ironic..pistorius fragrance is called ''pure shot''.

budsetdr
budsetdr

Perfect scent for outdoor daily activity. Fresh and not too sweet. Good alternative for the original which become too common people scent. At mostly indoor activity, i choose Pure Havane and Pure Malt. Pure shot ! Great fresh scent !

gabripe
gabripe

Not as dry as Ice Men.
This Sweet and sour!

bugmenot2
bugmenot2

in first 15 mins. i fell creamy graphrut oranges wtf. than i read about ice man,summer flash and fought that some one have to be crazy by saying that, but after next 15 min i felt - it and yes its diluted and more natural Summer flash with mix of wood or shoe polish /patchouli that this mix smells like sort of fir,sea, swimming poll longevity and silage is tragic short, dont blind buy!

meshary007
meshary007

A*Men Pure Shot ... Pure Freshness

starts sour Juniper Berries with fresh cold blast of green mint with a hint of Thierry Mugler patchouli .

then the White Pepper rise and you can feel the heat mixed in the sour blue freshness.

dry down Sequoia wood and birch like creed aventus.

scent 9.9/10

A*Men Pure Shot ... athletic scent

Prior to testing A*Men Pure Shot I had read quite a few negative reviews. I was preparing myself for something quite bland and pale in comparison to the rest of Thierry Mugler's collection. Perhaps my low expectations paid off, because I am really enjoying this A*Men flanker.

Almost immediately after spraying A*Men Pure Shot, I could detect the very distinctive Thierry Mugler patchouli note. It's quite earthy yet sweet at the same time. Although it is a touch fresher than the original A*Men, it doesn't strike me as a typical sport flanker.

I'm really loving the dominant mint accord in A*Men Pure Shot. I think it works beautifully alongside the patchouli and cardamom. Despite being marketed to men, I think it's easily unisex. It does have a hint of fresh sweetness after all.

Amongst the multitude of sport inspired flankers, A*Men Pure Shot, is in my opinion, one of the best. It's not predictable or citrusy in any way, which is such a relief for me. Looking back on all the negative feedback, I just don't get it.

I haven't been lucky enough to smell this on a man yet, but I'm almost certain that it would be ridiculously sexy in a subtle and pleasant way, quite unlike A*Men. Although chocolate isn't listed as an ingredient in A*Men Pure Shot, I do happen to catch wafts of it every now and then. It's almost creamy in texture.

The longevity is superb, and although the sillage is weaker than most Thierry Mugler scents, it still packs a punch. I urge everyone to try this fragrance for yourself before jumping to any quick conclusions.

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

I like this one.
I also like the original A*Men, but hate the crap flankers that came after it. This is nothing like the original or other flankers. Maybe that is why I like it.
I think the haters of this were expecting it to be like the other flankers, that is, similar to the original A*Men.

Migalex
Migalex

Very pale scent, the mint and the spices seem to lift it off that unremarkable ground for a while, but it does not really take off. I am a bit tired of these woody aromatics all smelling the same. It does have an undertone which reminds me of Gentleman though.

Plucus21
Plucus21

This is actually a good scent with poor longevity. I get the blast of juniper berries and pepper up front that is different from most sport fragrances. A little more mature in my opinion but not old man smelling at all.

I actually had a bottle of this but promptly sold it because after two hours I had to literally bury my nose in my skin to smell this. Sample this however, because if this does last on you it is worth keeping.

kavi
kavi

I don't know why this is getting so many negatives!

I did a blind sniff of this, WITHOUT knowing what fragrance house it was, what notes were in here and without any hype trails that it failed to get.

Result? I straight away got resemblances to B*Men (my sis was really surprised, haha), but I knew there was a difference, I hate B*Men, but I liked this. I picked up on the fresh mint, juniper berries, patchouli and that crap rhubarb vibe I got from B*Men, but it was a nicer, fresher one, which was miles better. I said before taste of fragrance was what B*Men should have been, but now I think that Pure Shot is a much better match to what B*Men should have been.

Even after this, will I buy it? Maybe! I see some going for £38 ($60), which I think is better pricing than what this was retailing for originally.

Mosschops
Mosschops

Who'd have thought they could ruin A*Men? Is it just me, or should A*Men and mint not go anywhere near together? Pure Malt and Havane are far superior.

themattsky
themattsky

I love the bottle! This is my "gym" fragrance that makes me feel athletic :P

carera
carera

this perfume u could smell the beautiful patchouli mixed with coffee even if its not show in pyramid . very close to ice man u could say return back to life .

ChemistRhi
ChemistRhi

Wow this is just what I've always wanted in a sport cologne.

It's a sporty one with a definite spark of originality, in thee first blast it's very herbal-minty-spicy, with undertones of the original A*men which gives it a really unique vibe.

After a few hours it's still very strong, minty and peppery again with strong undertones of A*Men, it's amazing, been looking for something like this for ages.

Fresh, unique, long lasting, great sillage, invigorating and peppery and minty (one of my fave fragrance notes).

Had that age old chestnut of the SA saying 'oh this is a men's fragrance by the way' and even then 'oh does he wear it often then' and i replied 'it's for me'. And then this blank look from her..... "um I'm pretty sure this is a men's one" I KNOW!!!!!!

It's a fragrance who cares what sex it's meant for, it's lush!

babygurl72
babygurl72

One of my favorites from TM. This has the best pepper smell of any frag i've tried in the past. I've been searching for that perfect "pepper" and i finally found it! Thanks buckwildstyle!!

Mike213
Mike213

PS starts off with a berry/minty vibe, the berry smelling kind of green earthy im guessing thats the juniper.Now the minty note does have a slight menthol feel like other reviews have stated but just slighty(on my skin at least).I gotta say though on paper this smells much sweeter,on my skin it smells mostly fresh and cool/clean with some sweetness. A hint of the white pepper in the background starts to come out not to long after the opening i'd say 20-30 mins in.The mint is gone within 40 mins or so(but still smells very frsh) then it gets sweeter at wich point the pepper and cardamom come out completely giving it a nice sweet and spicy mix, not gourmandish though.Its a pretty linear scent after that and to be quite honest i get a hint of patchouli at the very end but just a hint wich for me was about 4-5 hrs in.

This stuff lasted 7 hrs on my skin but it became a close skin scent after about 2hrs wich i didn't like.

Overall its a nice fragrance though best suited for spring or cooler summer days imo. I really can't compare this to the rest of the pure series since i only have pure malt,and a sample of A*men.

Those do smell alike in the drydown but PS doesn't smell anything like those 2 anyway for the price i'd rather just get something else for the hot weather instead of PS

Yiorgos
Yiorgos

unique!!! I think it changes during the day (in a good way) and it becomes better and better!

adejones
adejones

I love this scent. It’s nothing like other “sport” scents, which seem to be wishy washy and short lived. This smells gorgeous and lasts hours. I’d happily wear it day or night and all year round.

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

PS begins with the top notes of freezing mint and juniper. The juniper is the stronger note, as it is just a heavy note seemingly wherever I smell it. But the mint doesn’t back down too far. It is still there, and it provides a bit of a chill. These notes last for quite a while, eventually to recede into a spicy white pepper note followed by the weak base notes of sequoia wood and patchouli. I find these base notes almost nonexistent, surely to be missed by anyone who is not trying to sniff you.

I have to say this is the first fragrance where I have done a complete 180. I absolutely hated this fragrance when I first tried it and resonated with those who gave a thumbs down review. I was in solidarity with everything they said. But upon my second wearing, I didn’t hate it as much. After a couple more times, I just had to admit that I really liked PS. I think what really bothered me was the initial juniper note. I wasn’t crazy about juniper, although PS really helped me to learn to en joy it. But I didn’t ‘get’ the juniper note.

Nevertheless, with that said, I suppose I understand the negative reviews. When I first smelled this, I never thought I would learn to enjoy this. I think it’s definitely worth trying a decanted sample.

jaylim87

By the way, I hate A*Men. Maybe that's why I love this one.

jaylim87

A lot of people hate this one. And I think it's because it is too different compared to other fragrances from Thierry Mugler.

I purchased this right after its release, I loved it, but fragrantica reviews changed my mind. So many bad reviews about this one confused me a bit, and I ended up returning this one. I tested this one again yesterday when I went to Macy's, I loved it..and now, I regret my decision.

This is very different compared to the rest of Thierry Mugler fragrances, but that doesn't mean this smells horrible. This actually smells quiet unique and fresh. If you are interested in this, go actually test it out, don't depend too much on the reviews here.

benjiboy360

UPDATE its been 11 hours now that this fragrance has lasted on me!!!!!

benjiboy360

I put this fragrance on in macy's and I have to disagree with all the reviews on weak longevity. I got about 6 to 8 hours with this and I think it smells very nice. About four hours later after putting it on I was watching tv and I kept thinking something smells so good!! And then I smelt my wrist and it was pure shot!! It is a very fresh spicy fragrance and is a bit sweet. I like this fragrance a lot and see myself purchasing it in the near future!

mrcontinental
mrcontinental

If you are expecting the legendary longevity of the original A*Men you will be greatly disappointed. A decent enough smelling fragrance but it vanishes within minutes.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

this is the only one in the Pure series where retail is cheaper than on ebay-at least in UK.My small take on this is I find it hard to justify as a sport scent.apart from the minty top notes it's just a toned down version of the original and has poor longevity like most summer scents do but said before I cant be convinced this is in that genre.Spring will be best time to pull this off to make it last and appealing.Some wear this to the gym and claim the workout or their body heat make this last and make the smell jump out at them and they get compliments.i dont go to the gym and cant vouch but I can see it somehow.Anyway,once the top notes fade off in a couple of hours on my skin, I am left with a lighter,lingering A*Men smell and that can last for 8 hours.for now I dont even know whether i love or like it.I cant hate it so will remain ambivalent for now but wil keep bottle for posterity.

If this clears off the shelves then that will be it.cant see it making a comeback like Pure Havane just did.It will justify it being a limited edition then.

jasonx
jasonx

More unique than other sporty scents? Yes
Have a A*Men backbone? Yes
Smell slightly similar to body spray (Axe?)? Yes
Similar to B*men? Yes, slightly but B*Men is way better
Similar to Ice*Men? Not at all
Pleasant? No
Worth the price? Hell no

plastik
plastik

This has no lasting power at all. Just a lighter, original A*Men. Not even fresh or sporty.

stuartbr
stuartbr

Gourmand,chocolate fix!I absolutely love every stage of this scent starting from the first time you spray it up to the drydown. Good projection and excellent longevity! It lasts 8-12 hours on my skin.... one of my favorites!

williamvargas
williamvargas

got a sample of this, smells very clean and refreshing, but i do see grottola reference to terre d hermes..and the first spray ,that is exactly what i thought, i love that one , this is a good fragrance but just not different enough at least to me..i already have terre d hermes, so this is a no buy for me..plus i get better longetivity with terre..so i will stick with that..i could see someone liking this one though..i think if it lasted longer, closer to a men or pure malt even it would be more of a solid choice for the buck,,but even so..a good refreshing clean scent, would be great in an office environment.

EnragedApollo
EnragedApollo

Weak projection, it's like Angel Men but it smells much, much weaker than that. The opening is nice, it invokes freshness but after an hour or so on the skin, you won't be smelling "fresh".

requiemforasmell
requiemforasmell

Quite frankly, it's not a bad scent. It's just not what people would expect from Thierry Mugler, let alone the Pure line. If this one had a Lanvin or any other less famous company, people would actually not dislike it so much.

To me, this was a very bland scent. Started nice, with a tamed down mint and some berries in the background, it was fresh and I kind of expected the development to be preety good. However this one does not perform, it just dies down. Shortly after I felt the pepper, quite nice actually. But then the disaster comes. The berries go away and we are left with a faint mint and cardamon.

To me, after 20-30 min, it just smelled like a fresh deodorant. Not a bad smell, but I won't pay that much for a deodorant smell.

Longevity was average, aproximatelly 5 hours, but after 2 hours the smell becomes quite close to the skin.

Try, you might like it, but do not blind buy, you'll probably regret it.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

"Pure Sport" would be the perfect name for this minty-spicy fragrance. There's absolutely no relation between it and the traditional A*Men but the bottle.

"Pure Shot" has weak sillage and staying power. It opens with a blast of mint and what seems to be the pepper, but soon fades to a boring stage of minty cardamom that reminds me of some kind of cleaning product.

If you're looking for a gym fragrance, "Pure Shot" may be your best choice, but it's too expensive for just this purpose. Other than that, I can only see some collectors looking for "Pure Shot" to stand along their A*men's bottles.

bay224
bay224

Women do like the smell of this stuff, they compared it to washing powder from the top. It settles down to a more pleasant smell. Don't see how anyone can say this stinks, as it is just a safe scent, it might be boring to you though. The problem might be sillage and projection as others have pointed out. If you can get it to work on you in those categories, this would get you compliments. It doesn't seem like many are having much success at that though.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A*Men Pure Shot? Shot of blanks! Disappointing, do not feel mint, juniper only with a kind of a light bergamot, and close to the skin, common and boring, sorry Mugler!

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I deleted my original post as I really did not give the fragrance a proper chance. It's been a couple of days in now and I am starting to like this one. It is very clean and soft for the A*Men tag and it reminds me of a sportier version of Ice Men.
It is clean, crisp and cooling. I use this for the gym or I imagine will be ideal for a hot day and is great for office use too. It does not shout much and is very subtle. Don't overspray as it can get very sour. Getting wafts here and there throughout the day to remind me I still got the scent on. My colleage in work also added that for some reason they can now smell the fragrance but subtly which is nice for the office as you do not want to stink the place out with your fragrance.
When I first spray this on I immeadiately think of ICE*MEN and a gin and tonic kind of smell. It is a clean, fresh scent and feels nice and cool on the skin.
7.5/10

NettiB
NettiB

It is a nice fragrance but the longevity is poor, 4 to 5 hours on my skin. It's odd because if you bury your nose in it, it smells very tart in the opening then the wood gives it an almost b.o quality; however if you just smell it as it bounces off your skin it is really nice, clean, and fresh. It's almost a completely different fragrance as it project through the air. Almost like freshly cleaned clothing, but not as cheap smelling. Really it's a shame it doesn't last because the juice is nice. $85 is steep for poor performance, and it won't blow anybodies socks off, but since I like the scent overall it's good in my books. Take it for what it is, wear it during a nice warm casual day or outing (golfing or something) then switch it up in the evening.

For me, this is "neither here nor there." And it's weak. Sample this first because unless you are one of those people who are collectors or speculators I think you'll want to spend your money elsewhere.

Dr_Spazmo
Dr_Spazmo

This is awful. Definitely the worst out of the line. Thierry mugler, stop attempting to make summer scents because you're just not good at them. You're brilliant with winter gourmands. This is extremely sharp in the beginning. Doesn't smell like mint, it smells like menthol. The bottle is nice, but the juice is disappointing. Enough with summer released mugler!

junglefun
junglefun

Very close to Bleu de Chanel, but with no longevity, what the heck. And where is this 'icy mint'.........I get a very small trace of mint at the most. Two thumbs down.

dmoman
dmoman

From what I'm reading I don't see this fragrance being sold for big $$$ when its no longer on the market. Nice bottle though.

aaronr0ndale
aaronr0ndale

got to test this out at nordstroms and when i first sprayed it smelled good. told the rep to give me a sample and im glad i did. this stuff STINKS! my wife loves my pure havane and the regular A men. i dont know what they were thinking when they made this stuff. i will still give it more wearing but as of now, i do not like!

midos
midos

The smell of clean clothes!! reminds me of laundry powder !!! Nothing more

shixiand
shixiand

I can't stress too strongly that the classic A*Men did not captivate me at all - to the contrary. So the decision to buy this version was rather spontaneous, as I was intrigued by the add campaign with the handicapped sportsman Oscar Pistorius - the first handicapped runner to ever qualify in regular Olympics. Such initiatives are remarkable and I applaud them with all my heart.
The classic A*Men in my opinion smells like some kind of sweet pastry or dessert and generally has all the notes I'm not particularly fond of - it's too sweet, too faint, too warm... The bigger my surprise that Pure Shot was completely different. The scent itself is truly exceptional; a very successful aromatic composition. Contrary to most opinions, the minty note is not at all leading. There is an icy sensation at the very beginning, but it's gone within seconds. Maybe I just didn't recognize it - no clue, but to me the minty-menthol notes are simply too vague to matter. The toilet water is very fresh, and fragrant at the same time, almost spicy. Very discernible are the patchouli, pepper and, the citrus notes less so. It also has a hint of sweetness, almost vanilla-like. All perfectly proportioned.
Now on to the vices. I can't precisely define the durability of the fragrance. The first time I used it, it lasted up to 3 hours tops. Today I am under the impression that its subtle traces are present after 5 hours. However, it is not nearly as durable as other Mugler fragrances - both for men and women, which can be easily recognized. I guess it depends on the individual using it and their skin, but altogether it can be viewed as a vice.
If it weren't for the durability issue, it could easily be one of my personal favourites.

Grottola
Grottola

Well then.

Quite a lot of buzz about Pure Shot. Is it a good fragrance? Absolutely. Is it similar to A*Men? No, not at all. There is a patchouli note in the base, but that's the closest you'll get to A*Men with this, which is why I think Pure Shot should have just been renamed and made its own individual fragrance.

So, what does it smell like? Well, Pure Shot is a strange conglomerate. I get elements of many different fragrances. People have compared it to Ice*Men, and, in some instances, B*Men, both of which I can understand, but probably the closest fragrance to Pure Shot is...

Terre d'Hermes.

Yes, Terre d'Hermes, specifically in the parfum. Me thinks there's an Iso E Super note in Pure Shot. It's not COMPLETELY the same; but there's definitely a big similarity, in my opinion. I don't get any mint, but I definitely get some crisp, velvety juniper berries and a fleeting citrus, which smells like grapefruit. Another noticeable element, which also brings it close to Terre d'Hermes, is pepper. There's a major pepper note in here, but it's not as prominent as Terre d'Hermes, and definitely not extreme to the point of "peppered steak", ala Chanel Sycomore. I also smell cardamom. The sillage and longevity are both spectacular.

Pure Shot seems to be a fragrance that is different to everyone's nose, so I suggest just getting yourself a sample and seeing what you think. Despite the packaging and marketing, which don't match the fragrance at all, in my opinion, Pure Shot is a quality fragrance that will hopefully stay a while, because I think it smells awesome, which is expected from a house that has churned out quality fragrances such as Angel, Cologne, Alien, and Pure Havane. I find Pure Shot to be a welcome addition to the Mugler line, and recommend trying it.

P.S. Natt's review below is probably the most accurate review of this, so far, to my nose - he's a good guy with a great nose!

junior halston
junior halston

Reminds me of Summer Flash a limited edition from years ago. This Pure Shot lacks longevity and projection. I guess this would be good for someone who does not like the sweet component of the original along with its power.

I only tried it once at a local department store. As far as I can say, this is a flanker for non-A*Men fans. The beginning is very lemon lime-y (almost like Sunlight dish detergent and I mean it in a good way) with a peppery fruity wood in the background. Patchouli is the only that remains a close resemblance to A*Men. Everything is different! I actually enjoy it. It's not as dense as the original. It's extremely invigorating and full of energy. Great for spring break :)

frangrancejunky
frangrancejunky

With all do the respect to the community.

this is PURE SHIT

I Think I'll not look forward to buy any of this house's creations anymore. utterly disappointed.

Je suis très déçu Thierry! Désormais, je n'acheterai rien de vous.

Gelladon
Gelladon

I just got my bottle last week and so far it's okay. Honestly I was expecting more of a "show stopper" and got a crown pleaser. Although I like pure shot IMO it has nothing on Ice Men or Sunessence. Mugler is still my favorite designer house so I'm still a huge fan in spite of. This can best be described as A*Men sport and I feel in the summer this will has the potential to be something special.

amg7240
amg7240

Does not smell like mint; It smells like menthol. Not even comparable to mint scents like Heeley's or Malle's.

manofscents
manofscents

Right out of the sprayer it smells good, it still keeps the intergrity of that signature A-men WOW factor note, without being a complete mess. some will love it some will hate it simply because the bar has been raised with its "pure" flanker predecessors. if you know what the summer versions of other fragrances have smelled like then think of this as the summer version of A-men. Just glad they didnt follow the bunch and call it summer.

silentrich

It's a redundant release from Mugler and doesn't deserve the A*men or Pure name. By far the worst of the Pure line and overall very forgettable.

Perf
Perf

Crisp peppery gin mojito & A*Men light patchouli.

I love it.

rgiali
rgiali

This is watered down Ice Men with short lived minty opining a pass from me, Mugler I'm so disappointed.

jonr951
jonr951

I ordered it on the Mugler site. I guess I really don't care for Sport colognes. They all start to smell the same. I don't love it at all but it's ok. It might be my least favorite flanker from the line. I can't return it so I guess I'll just have to get used to it. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT TESTING FIRST! I'll never do that again. Haha. : )

@Buysblind it totally does have a B.O.ness to it! Ick! Haha.

2/25/12: Ok I really don't like it. Biggest fragrance purchase mistake EVER! I'm so disappointed. : (

vbs
vbs

This A*Men flanker will not appeal strongly to lovers of rich, sweet orientals such as its namesake. A*Men Pure Shot is dry, frigid, antiseptic, and angular throughout, much like the advertisement's blue-lit robotic visage of Oscar Pistorius. That this is a limited release flanker rather than a wholly new fragrance is merely a ploy of marketing... this has little relation to A*Men if any.

Upon first application, I was hit by a sour, soapy, crisp melange of spicy mint, piney juniper, and a sort of lemon/citrus sourness. It bears more than a passing resemblance to Irish Spring soap, with the mint (especially mint's slightly sour constituent notes) turned up to near deafening volume. The mint is not a green leafy mint, rather it is an artificial toothpaste mint. It reminded me most of the abrasive mint polish used at the dentist office.

As the heart emerges, the initial razor-sharp roar of mint and juniper dies down to a hum, and is joined by a strange sneezy pepper and slightly nutty cardamom. The base of "sequoia" accord and patchouli can be discerned here as well. The scent maintains its cold, fresh aspect, but the woodiness and nuttiness dial down the cutting frigidity... it smells a bit more earthy, though no less cool. The soapiness levels out too, emitting a detergent-like "whiteness". It continues to morph from minty-sharp coolness to earthy-woody coolness throughout its drydwon.

Overall, the scent is not a bad one, but to my nose feels a bit hollow (as most "fresh" scents do). I can't help but think that a touch of vanillic sweetness or soft florals would have given this fragrance something to sit on. As it is, it is devoid of any sort of contrast. There is no warmth or sweetness here... no depth... only the shimmery drone of sharp, metallic woods and spices. An uncanny-valley android of a fragrance.

Buysblind
Buysblind

I'm editing my original review which I wrote the first day I received Pure Shot. I'll keep this new review short.

Pure Shot is okay. It's a clean, fresh scent with mint and juniper up top and just a little bit of spice (that at times smells like b.o.). It is soapy and slightly sweet. For the first hour or so Pure Shot projects well and creates a nice sillage that is cool and appealing. However, the scent dies quickly, and then you're left with nothing but a thin trace of what was. Longevity, is about 2 hours on me. I'm still waiting to wear it in the warm weather when I hope it fairs better, but I'm just not that impressed with the scent overall--it's simple and forgettable and in my opinion, not worth the $85 price tag.

A shame, I had high hopes for this.

Anup
Anup

Pure shot, not something out of left field, but worth noting.

The start of this fragrance is a HUGE giant blast of energetic confusion. A boozy juniper plays off of mint, which i might add has no menthol properties but adds a particular greenness. First impressions of this scent may fail to impress some simply because it just doesn't hit as hard as stated in the advertising and press releases, but is sufficient enough for my tastes personally.
The middle is one of those mids that isn't really there as far as "you'll smell this 5 hours into the scent", no , It blends together with the base of the scent accenting it. I do however pick up vetiver someplace in the scent, wherever it may be. The final drydown reminds me a lot of B*men, another underdog scent from Mugler. It is no coincidence that B*men and this scent share patchouli (what i smell) vetiver and sequoia woods.

Overall this scent is graceful in the way that it presents it's commercial charms and is a worthy brother to his elder kin. Unlike his father he isn't about bogging you down with heavy, trailing perfumes, but more or less aiding your stinky body in the summer with smooth freshness and stern/herbal woods.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I will get more wearings but here is my first impression. Take Creed's Himalaya and Royal Water and infuse them and this is what you will get. Icy Mint, light fruity juniper, on a spicy/patchouli heart. One one word LOVELY!!!!!!!. I live in Texas and this will be a winner from early next month through October. Will be a bit cloying on a 100 degree day but a 90 degree night, pure sexiness and maturity. I forgot this is quite soapy also, which is unique given the notes. Love, love, love!!!!

deyutzu90
deyutzu90

Amazing fragrance :) i already smell it and it's just beautiful :) it joins the Ice Men customers :)

jayrichard
jayrichard

Stop voting (especially the "reminds me of" if you don't know what the thing smells like- it's not even out yet! Damn....

Geor!
Geor!

Where can these "special editions" be had at? I've only seen them on Amazon or Ebay for astronomical prices.

bp
bp

I'm ultra excited to try this perfume.
I love A * Men, as well as all special editions and reinterpretations.
This seems to be especially good. I love all your olfactory notes.
The fact that it was prepared by the original creator of A * Men still makes me more excited about this perfume.
The combination of colors of this bottle is very beautiful.
Even without smelling this one, know this brand as I know, I can say with confidence that love to have this scent.

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler 3.53 out of 5 based on 355 ratings and 89 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Shot fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Shot, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.