Designers » T-Z » Oriental Fougere « Groups

A*Men Pure Tonka Thierry Mugler for men
dislike

coffee
A*Men Pure Tonka Thierry Mugler for men Pictures

Thierry Mugler launches A*Men Pure Tonka, a new limited edition of its most popular masculine fragrance A * Men from 1996. The new fragrance is released in February 2016.

The composition is announced as an oriental combination of tonka bean and fresh, aromatic lavender.

The bottle of the signature shapes is made in glossy black rubber. The star in the center adorned it with shades of pink metal. The fragrance is available as 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Huclier.

Mint

Givenchy Play Intense

A*Men Pure Tonka Fragrance Reviews

noseyboysniffy
noseyboysniffy

I hope this has a strong resemblance to YSL Black Opium, I've been sneaking sprays from my wife's bottle because it smells so good, anyway, God willing I'm gonna go to Saks tomorrow to finally get my nose on Pure Tonka!

milancelisac
milancelisac

Excelent in every way. Longevity - perfect!

bart4543
bart4543

did not have high expectation since the last few flankers were not impressive but i was pleasantly surprised. reminds me of givenchy play intense with the mix of original a men DNA. i still prefer pure malt and taste of fragrance over this but i feel like this is well done fragrance and a fine fragrance in the line up.

Gabriel_84
Gabriel_84

Sadly, on me it lasts much less time than the reformulated angel man.. I can re-spray myself every two- three hours.

David Y
David Y

Smells really good but doesn't last as long as most reviewers say. On my skin it lasts an average of 3 - 4 hours. Monster projection though, one spray fills up a whole room.

Greco
Greco

Opens with a burst of sweet coffee and then turns into a scent very similar to Tobacco Vanille with caramel and coffee added.

crazyoney2k
crazyoney2k

I really like this fragrance. Is it sexy? not really but it has a beautiful smell to me it's like cookies with coconut in them mixed with vanilla coffee. Be warned its powerful so easy on the trigger 2 sprays max because otherwise it will induce headaches

neo.ramaphoko
neo.ramaphoko

one day when i re-visit this page the reviews will change i see very long lasting reviews increasing and enormous too great stuff mr mugler!!!! 10/10

jreily88
jreily88

I'm sort of in the middle on this one. It's a nice scent but nothing about it screams "Buy me!" Also, it smells almost nothing like the other A*men line and if you didn't know who the brand was or whatever, you'd never know it was an A*men flanker.

Scent: 6/10: Good scent but can be very cloying given how sweet it is.

Projection: 10/10

MrHonest
MrHonest

To blind buyers everywhere:

Caution! Sweetness overload!

Now I don't own Rochas Man, MJ's Legend or New Haarlem, but if any of those are as sweet and potent as this is, then I think I'll pass on those too. I WILL say this though - the drydown after 3-4 hours is kinder on the nose, and can come off as quite pleasant.

After recieving 3 rather generous samples from my favourite lady at the fragrance counter, I proceeded to spray the first on my arm before leaving the store.

As you can imagine, I was expecting A*Men with a more prominent Tonka note, or maybe something like a sweeter Pure Coffee. Nope.

Instead, what I got was a vanilla extract factory EXPLOSION up my nose. Pow!! And tonka truck fire-fighters spraying crystallized sugar heedlessly. Incredible. One hour later - Creme Brulee. Two hours later - Creme Brulee. Only after the 3-4 hour mark did it become more bearable (and quite smooth actually).

But let's focus on the good here - if you're a lover of sweets, then you just might love this one. Ditto if you wear fragrances for the drydown. And even though I was practically gagging at the smell a centimeter away, I could totally see the sillage being attractive. So props for that.

But for me, it's a pass. I gave away the other 2 samples, in exchange for some Ultra Zest, which I really do enjoy.

Projection: 8/10
Sillage: 8/10
Sweetness: 20/10

'Nuff said.

omid121
omid121

وقتی فروشنده ازم پرسید:
تستش نمیکنی !؟
لبخند زدم و گفتم نه ممنون.
ماگلر در کنار گرلن تنها برندهایی هستند که من براحتی بلایند بای می کنم .
و امّا پیور تونکا
طراحی و ترکیب ظرف عطر برگرفته از رنگ مشکی پوسته تونکا با ظاهری متفاوت از سری های قبل به لحاظ جنس پلاستیک از نوع برّاقش .قهوه در کنار تونکا ،وانیل، لاوندر و البته پاچولی که ناخودآگاه تو ترکیب اکثر کارهای مورد پسندم قرارداره. وجود تونکا فضای این کار رو خوراکی کرده و یک حالت آبنباتی - خامه ای به اینکار داده. با اسپری اینکار موجی از رایحه قهوه و تلخی تونکا یک شوک به بینی شما میده که با کمی خرج حوصله کم کم با شیرینی مطلوبی روبرو خواهید شد. وانیل عامل اصلی شیرینی کار که تلخی تونکا تا حدی بخوبی تونسته شیرینی کار رو مدیریت و بالاتس کنه و در کنار پیورکافی میتونه شیرینیش برای بعضی ها که از شیرینی این سری شکوه دارند ، مقبول باشه . وجود لاوندر و نعناع تا حدی امکان استفاده این کار در حداقل 3 فصل از سال رو به شما داده ضمن اینکه یک حالت صابونی مطبوع تو فضای این عطر کاملا خود نمایی میکنه . پخش و ماندگاری که دیگه نیازی به توضیح نداره ماگلره دیگه نا سلامتی اونم از نوع ای من .بی هیچ تعصبی میتونه جزو گزینه های انتخاب برگزیدگان صنعت عطر توی سال 2016 باشه . و در آخر اینکه
- پیور تونکا؟
- بله لطفا

louis7391
louis7391

This smells NOTHING like Rochas.
It smells far more like Chanel Homme Sport eau Extreme and New Haarlem.
It is aptly named as it smells like strong Tonka bean, lots of vanilla and lavender, a little coffee (nothing like Givenchy Play Intense).
The Tonka bean note is slightly cloying for me. I think it very cold weather it will work better.
Not as good as Pure Malt, Pure Havane but a worthy addition to the A men line.

Mojan
Mojan

As a girl, after going back and forth about buying this, while reading the informative and helpful reviews of my dear Fragranticans, I finally took the plunge and blind bought my very first "For Men" scent and I'm in heaven.
Pure Tonka satisfied my long-time crave for the kind of coffee scent that I love -sweet, chocolaty, creamy. (we don't have as many options in my country as you dears do in The States and Europe). This really IS mocha in a bottle. I highly recommend it to the gourmand lovers.
I just needed to tell something to Mr. Mugler. As much as I appreciate the scent, you really need to reconsider the design of the spritzer. I don't know about the others, but spritzing from this bottle is a real challange for me. :-)

Peters155
Peters155

Pure Tonka to me is a warm blanket scent. I love it to death. Definitely be using this over the fall and winter. Original A.Men I always use when going clubbing but i use this just for when im going to my local for few quite drinks with friends very comforting. Do give this a try. Have a good day everyone :-)

mesziman
mesziman

WOW, this is actually very nice. I have never been a big fan of A*men and their flankers. Pure Malt is nice but I did not like its drydown.
Now this one I think is the best. Nice and sweet ,yet masculine.

Soul37

I get a coconut vibe too. Good stuff. Ready for the cool weather to unleash this one properly.

Perfumato
Perfumato

Smell description : original Amen meshed with new Harlem with hint of pure wood.

The result is a great gourmandy scent , coffee mixed with lavender and hints of earthiness and woodiness

For some reason at certain stage i get a smelll of coconut lotion mixed with shia and cocoa butter.

Highly recommended for winter

Killer performance and compliment getter

Ewalk81
Ewalk81

Smelled this over the weekend, and I must say that this smells like the original A Men without the tar note.

Whit
Whit

Wow, just wow! I've had a sample of this when it was first released and just now got around to trying it. I have Pure Havane and Pure Malt, but this one is amazing and dare I say the best one thus far. Of course, I knew I'd love it based on the notes and Mugler fragrances do well on my skin.

The fragrance is what I would classify gourmand/oriental, but it's not a toothache in a bottle (not that I would mind that). The lavender strewn throughout the fragrance keeps a sort of freshness, but it still retains it's warmth. The coffee, tonka, vanilla stand out most on my skin with small nuances of lavender. This is very wearable for ladies too, so do give it a try. Sillage and longevity are wonderful as well; lasts 10+ hours and sillage was arm's length just for one spray on the back of my hand. This may replace another fave coffee scent of mine; Bond's I Love NY for All since it's now discontinued, per the people from Bond.

Thanks for another winner, Mugler! Very well done!

WhoNose
WhoNose

I love pure havane but I'm sorry, this is the absolute best flanker from the pure line. A fragrance that performs as good as it smells. This is my favorite from TM house.

MD888
MD888

Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka is undoubtedly one of my favourite flankers in the A*Men line. It is much more wearable than A*Men and it has a more prominent gourmand vibe to it. I am one of those who did not totally like the tar note, so its omission here is a great thing.

The scent starts off with a blast of lavender at the top. I initially had thought that I would not like it, but I actually found it rather alright. The sweetness then starts to amp up as the tonka bean starts to emerge. At this point the lavender will slowly weaken until the scent becomes a full-blown gourmand, with noticeable notes of vanilla, cacao, coffee, and the lingering tonka bean. The drydown loses the lavender, and is a very sweet treat. Any gourmand lover should appreciate that.

Performance: 10/10
The performance absolutely seeks to impress. On my skin, I can still get noticeable traces of it 24 hours after applying it; and that already includes going through several washings. Projection is loud for the first four hours, with the sillage leaving a huge trail as I move about.

Compliments: 8/10
The compliments I received were generally positive. Although there were times wherein others thought they were smelling actual food instead of a fragrance. It is that good of a gourmand! Surprisingly, despite the tropical climate where I live in, nobody found it too strong or cloying. The key really is to do only 1-2 sprays and let it sit on your skin for 30-60 minutes before doing any serious interaction.

Price: 9/10
This is actually great value for money. It helped even more that I got it discounted due to a store promo. After getting used to niche price points lately, it is a huge convenience to spend designer level prices again.

Overall: 10/10
Pure Tonka is a really great fragrance. I cannot really ask more from it for the purpose it serves me. Again, I would say that it is one of the best A*Men flankers, alongside Pure Havane and Pure Malt.

HenningCanada
HenningCanada

I asked for a sample of this and I was excited to try it but try as I might, I just can't like the A Men DNA. It's just not my thing. This fragrance does preform well on my skin, but it's just too cloyingly sweet. There are masculine fragrances that have a certain sweetness to them, but this isn't one of them. That being said, I'm sure some women will love the smell of this on a man. I put that sample away and I'll give it a try in the winter, but I'll probably wind up selling it with a bunch of others on eBay at some point. If you dig this juice cool, power to ya, but I'm gonna have to pass 'cause it makes me feel like I bathed in simple syrup.

axa5780
axa5780

Wow! this smells amazing. The tonka is nice and boozy. The coffee is heavy and noticeable. Very impressed! definite bottle worthy!

Edit: I've had New Haarlem, and i must say that pure tonka smells better.

dmetzger
dmetzger

Complaining about A-men flankers aside-lets get real here: it smells like pancakes and coffee with cream. It's breakfast in a bottle and I can't get enough.

I was on the fence about Bond no 9's New Haarlem because while I am in love with it, this Pure Tonka does the job for 1/3 the price and from what I can tell so far, double the longevity (on my skin). I sprayed the New Haarlem on my left wrist before leaving the house, and a few hours later sprayed this on my right wrist before I bought it.

A few hours later and the Pire Tonka is still alive and vibrant and the New Haarlem is basically only detectable when I cram my nose into my wrist like a bootleg FBI agent on "the comms".

Gals and gents it is seriously close enough to New Haarlem.

Altorhys
Altorhys

Please, Thierry, stop selling us flankers. Bring to us some new senses.

matthew369
matthew369

this is really good. not a fan of sweet scents yet i could just picture girls on a night out telling me i smell "yummy" if i wore this. might buy it!

Soul37

This juice is awesome. It has great longevity & projection. The smell is on point. The responses from others are very favorable. I'm ready for FALL/WINTER to hit so I can rock this one right.

Again, this juice is awesome...BUT...
THIS SHOULD BE THE LAST FLANKER IN THE A*MEN LINE!!!

In fact, Mugler should stop production on all but three in the pure line (Malt, Havane, Tonka) and reduce original A*MEN to a limited release. Wood and (Ultra) Zest are OKAY but IMO they don't hit as hard as the three aforementioned scents. Mugler should take the money no longer used to produce or market the other fragrances and make the BOTTLES/FLACONS for Malt, Havane, and Tonka BETTER. If they stay on this course they will eventually have more misses than hits.

See YSL l'Homme and Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey lines to name a couple. Beware the money grab.

This, of course, will certainly NOT happen. Be ready for PURE VANILLA for spring 2017. PURE SPICE for spring 2018. PURE AQUA for summer 2019. ULTRA GREEN for summer 2020. ULTRA PATCH for winter 2020.

PURE SPICE does sound kind of good. I'd give it a sniff.
And that's where they got us by the balls.
Marketing and Propaganda.
Gotta stay strong, Gotta save my money.

This is already silly. Thierry Mugler could get utterly ridiculous in years to come with all these flankers. Just make a new line already. Can't TM think of a creative way to cash in? What are they being loyal to? Being creative can seem like a risk. Being redundant IMO is more of a risk.

Again, awesome juice. A very solid release.
Just looking for something new from Mugler.
Am I alone?

Albin
Albin

What a pleasure to wear this perfume. Probably my best purchase in a long time. The most elegant within the A*Men family, even one of the finest releases from Mugler, in my opinion.

Really good balance between the cozy and sweet moka and chocolate vibe, and lavender-licorice-patchouli bitterness and dark tones.

Well done!

henri345que
henri345que

As I explained in Amen Pure Wood review, the success of the flankers of this line have been based on the balance between being able to keep a clear link with the traditional at the same time it is possible to explore new aromatic textures within the formula, creating a fragrance that is worth having for those who already have the previous ones. Pure Tonka has a difficult task in my point of view: there is already a history of flankers that showed to be excellent and popular (Pure Coffee, Pure Malt, Pure Havane), good and little-known (Pure Wood), and which added nothing interesting (Taste Of Fragrance, Pure Leather). In a way this new family member falls into a middle ground between the most successful ones and the uninteresting others.

Conceptually exploring the extraction of roasted tonka bean aroma, this variation explores the nuances of tonka: its side that reminds you of cherries, its aromatic grass aspect (well explored in the classic fougeres) and more lactonic and burnt side. The Lavender is brought here to reinforce this more aromatic part and counteract the vanillic and sugary sweetness that is brought back. Finally, we have two ends giving a driest aroma to the composition: at the opening the smell of roasted coffee, a classic note of traditional Amen, and a patchouli and something kind of amber aroma in the base.

Describing the nuances of it you can see an interesting idea indeed, but one lacking a surprise factor in the composition, and in this point of game is essential for it to be part of the best of the line. The combination of coffee, lavender, vanilla and patchouli is crafted here in a very similar way of two Maurice Roucel creations: Rochas Man and Bond No 9 New Haarlem. Sometimes the cherry aroma and burnt tonka aspect is that it gives a distinction to idea, but in general it reminds you of these other perfumes. At other times, however, its just seems the traditional Amen a little sweeter.

Overall, the first impression of Pure Tonka as a flanker in the line leave you divided. There are some interesting nuances, but the execution seems derived from other creations and not distinguished enough from the traditional. For someone who already has all previous editions, it may not stand out as one of the best. But for someone who likes the traditional, like the idea of coffee with lavender and would like to see a hint of cherries or a more prominent tonka aroma, is a scent that has its charm and it's worth knowing.

our lee
our lee

I have not tried Pure Coffee but if I had tested Pure Tonka blind then I would have sworn that this was it. Coffee is the dominant note throughout, backed up by the ever-trustworthy tonka/vanilla pairing, along with the cocoa note, giving Pure Tonka a kind of milky-coffee-come-chocolate-y feel. And it is wonderful. Performance is good, too - one spray and it is still detectable 7-8 hours later.

Only negative is the sprayer - more of a weak 'shot' of liquid than a sharp burst of mist delivered by an effective atomiser! Can't fault the scent, though.

Charlesie
Charlesie

Rochas Man without the raspberry note. Very sweet gourmand that reminds me of sugar wafers. My favorite Mugler concoction, by far.

Mbaaqeel7
Mbaaqeel7

Smells like cake ..

AZ
AZ

Very sweet and feels like you bathed with syrup.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

I work at macys and i get to try out all kinds of things daily. side by side.

I love this edition, it's not as strong as the original Angel Men.

This one is VERY rich, complex, and accurate. Absolutely delicious... if you like foody sweet mocha coffee smells.

As i describe it.... it's like making a sweet caramel latte... and spilling it all over yourself, and you decide to just let it dry on.
I smell nuts, nougat, wafer bars.. almost like candy. rich honey like sweetness.

Sillage: not strong
Longevity: moderate, changes and evolves a LOT as it dried.

Lipglossjunkee
Lipglossjunkee

Described as an Oriental Fougere, this opens with a fresh burst of lavender and mint which is the only hint of fougere that I get from it. It immediately warms up into a spicy sweet creamy concoction with heavy notes of coffee, sweet creamy tonka, and a light spicy mix of patchouli and licorice to round it out. The patchouli is really the only thing that gives this the signature "Angel" kick, but it's a completely different beast than Angel. This one is friendly, wearable, and everything I had wanted Black Opium to be. (I get no coffee at all from Black Opium, and that made me sad, until I found this gem). It is a creamy gourmand fragrance and is perfectly wearable year round.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Reminiscent of Caron pour homme which makes my stomach turn. Then it improves and becomes interesting. The final destination is not dissimilar to the chilli in taste of fragrance Amen but softer. When I say softer I mean like squishy marshmallows NOT soft as in lasting because this one really is money's worth for that. Online at debenhams uk not house of Fraser as yet.

Francop
Francop

Lovely fragrance but find it a bit too weak to justify a full bottle.

braegann
braegann

Oh my god! I first need to say how much I love this line first, every single TM fragrance puts out, I love. This is no exception. The sweet, gourmand, and creamy smell makes me drool. This is very sweet, so do try before buying, as you should with all of TM's fragrances. I am a little tired of the slightly altered flankers that TM puts out, it is a bit predictable, but man do I love them at the same time. Scent wise, I think that Malt, Havane, and this one are all toe to toe. Malt is the boozy and fruity one, havane is the tobacco based and honey-cherry undertone, and tonka is the syrupy sweet and coffee one. It does have good performance, but definitely not as powerful as the original angel men.

Longevity: 8

Projection: 6

Sillage: 7

Scent: 9

MetalMan
MetalMan

It's an exceptionally chilly early morning and you crave the warmth to carry you through until the sun rises. You put on your thickest cashmere sweater - it smells thickly of the caramel honey creme brulee you prepared the night before for guests you'd already forgotten. The burner clicks several times before the flame ignites warming a cinnamon and honey tea to cut this aching chill. An open cabinet has lent its aromatic contents to the kitchen, stirred by your stumbling presence - an earthy cacao, rustic coffee, and a decadent vanilla waft through the air. With your tea ready, you stir in a ribbon of caramel, top it with vanilla bean whipped cream, and dust it with earthy cacao - the scents all combine to invite a vivid picture in your mind - it was the last time you saw her as she left in a blinding blur. You slowly walk out to the porch and sit in your once favorite seat - only this time it is heartache that sits beside you. You rock slowly sipping your tea, tears gently dripping into it. The sun rises and, despite your best efforts, you still feel cold.

Day 69 - Suffocating comforts
Listening to: Daughter - Smother

Notes: I feel I can say that this is probably my favorite A*Men ever - for me, it tops even the greatness of Pure Coffee and Pure Havanae! It opens with a fluffy and creamy caramel and honey - I assume this is the desired tonka accord. Somewhere in this richly sweet concoction is the iconic coffee/cacao/patchouli/vanilla accord that A*Men made so popular - it helps cut some of the sweetness in an interesting way. There is also an elusive cinnamon note buried in here which pops up from time to time but is never front and center. This fume actually does tonka justice as the real ingredient smells very close to cinnamon, honey, and vanilla with a touch of nuttiness. The base is very near a smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of honey and a dusting of cinnamon...this is really a delicious treat fit for anyone with a sweet tooth and lasts a good 12 hours, even on a warm day!

kaysee
kaysee

The only Amen flanker I can tolerate. Still has the same DNA but chocolate is strong. Don't see myself wearing this till September when the weather cools down a bit.

soili
soili

I like it, although it went strangely acidic on me, the longer I had it on. In a generic kind of way, not any specific citrus. My nose reads black coffee as bitter acid, so it must be that. It's really yummy anyhow!

Perfectly unisex, so if you're at all concerned that people might think this or that of you, no one will question your choice to wear Pure Tonka, whether you're a guy or a girl.

What's up with those bottles though?? It's impossible to press on the right spot to get an even mist.

Neo Ramaphoko
Neo Ramaphoko

I think it's more stronger than amen original , and smells better . I love it for all occasions

Hazazi91
Hazazi91

Warm sweet foodie scent! This is nothing like Rochas Man I own both and did side by side test and even in the dry down they smell very different. This opens up with fresh lavender almost deceiving that this is fresh scent but definitely realize the depth of this scent. In few minutes this scent transits into dark warm heavenly gourmand. This is one of my favorite scents in my collection the performance is outstanding easily 12+ hours and fills the room projects well over 4 hours. Top quality from TM get it before it's discontinued or reformulated.

RATING
Projection: 10/10
Sillage: 9/10

joenick68
joenick68

Ok first time wearing it, and seems it got the attention from whomever I didn't think it was going to get. I was more impressed with the Ultra Zest but this one is not bad, but I would say the cocoa now dominates above all notes and is like A*men first edition but concentrated.
I still need to see the whole day performance.

AngelRock77
AngelRock77

Rochas Man with lots and lots of Coconuts.
Very strong.Very Cloying.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Not a fan.

My initial impression is that it was like spraying sweetness on myself - not quite cotton candy, but not far from it. It's not my thing. I kept hoping and expecting that the rather more bitter chocolate A*Men base would emerge, but it didn't. The long term note in this is a sort of generic sweet coffee.

The lavender in this is pretty subtle to my nose.

Pure Malt is still the best of the series, in my humble opinion.

louisminaj
louisminaj

Finally got the chance to smell this yesterday in Dubai, so it finally launched here and I could not contain my excitement. At initial spray, I got a huge blast of this fresh lavender smell that I did not expect. Okay, I do not like the smell of lavender at all, so this was pretty off putting, but this smell lasts all of 5 minutes, so it's extremely forgivable! After this you get the coffee and Tonka as listed. What I like about this is that all the other A*men flankers always smell pretty identical to the original (which isn't bad, but I've longed for a change) but this one, to me, doesn't bear much similarity to the other fragrances in the line, to my absolute pleasure! It gets VERY warm and also much, much sweeter than the other fragrances in my opinion, especially in the dry down, the dry down is EXTREMELY attractive. You get this very creamy vanillic smell with an almost "candy floss" smell. I've only ever experienced this before when I smelt a friend wearing Pink Sugar. As you all know this is a woman's fragrance, but it really does smell like it to me at the very end! It's slightly more masculine due to the exceptional use of the Tonka! Overall, I'm definitely buying this fragrance as it smells absolutely divine!

The performance was great, still not on inch on the original A*men but it does an exceptional job nonetheless. Lasted about 8-9 hours on me, with a sultry silage (basically me being pretentious saying it didn't radiate too much!) But enough for people to smell me!

10/10 from me, which is rare, as nothing is exciting me lately, but I can always rely on Mr. Mugler!

Mr. Chris
Mr. Chris

This is Rochas Man with great performance!

doogal76
doogal76

I think 'Pure Tonka' is a little misleading. I have Tonka by Laboratory Perfumes (which is still not reviewed here?) which is an altogether different animal, in terms of its earthy/spicy/warmth. Pure Tonka on the other hand has, at its heart, a very much warm tonka/coffee/lavender/vanilla partnership with the tonka creating a beautiful base for the vanilla, coffee and to a lesser extent lavender to sit perfectly with. It really is very well balanced on my skin.

To me 'Pure Tonka' might initially create thoughts of the fragrance being somewhat overpowering and maybe even cloying on application, which it certainly is not. Even on the initial spray the sweetness is not too sweet.

Pure Tonka, to me, is a grown up yet playfully gourmand tonka, especially on the dry-down. Their is a beautiful roasted smokiness to the tonka/coffee/caramelic like drydown that is incredibly appealing. Rather than having a strong tobacco smokiness it is much more like a small fire in the woods in late summer, the sun is setting and you get the gentle aroma of roasted/smoky/ caramel vanilla wafting through the trees. More of a gentle nudge rather than an in your face harshness that some tobacco fragrances possess. There is no harshness at all here.

The balance between the main notes sit very well on my skin and has become a soft/warm/spicy/tonka/vanilla scent after an hour or so. The smoky vanilla edge reminds me somewhat of tobacco vanille and to a lesser extent Valentino Uomo in the dry down, but with Pure Tonka it is very much more approachable than tv and has greater projection and warmth than Valentino.

Perhaps it has more in common with Tom Ford Noir Extreme, in terms of the gourmandy warmth, although the Tonka has far greater projection and silage. This is very much to do with the quality of the tonka and vanilla at its heart i think.

As Buysblind says bellow, i had not thought of the similarities with Christain Dior's Feve Deliciouse, and Buysblind is quite right. The dry down has that lovely warmth and balance that Feve also possesses, without being overpowering.

Perhaps, within the same niche bracket as Feve, it has very strong similarities with Armani Privie Ambre Eccentrico also. In terms of the drydown, pairing the same warmth and heart of each but with tonka and amber as differing base notes which compliment and balance the accompanying mid notes so well.

Although a flanker, pure tonka should be seen as much more than that and really has a powerful character all of its own, standing head and shoulders above many other tonka fragrances.

Pure Tonka, yes please!!

alshujairy86
alshujairy86

I sprayed it in Paris Airport while heading back to Dubai. It is beautiful, unique, and projects well. I liked it but it is not a summer cologne.

xoxoMyke
xoxoMyke

This is pure coconut and caramel with some sea salt sprinkled on top. There's also a nutty/almond-y nuance.

That signature tar note of the A*Men (and Angel) is not present.

It's very, very, very sweet. I feel as though the tar note would balance out the sweetness.This is (without a doubt) the most wearable A*Men Pure flanker.

VanAllan
VanAllan

I tried it last week from an almost empty tester stashed away in a drawer at one local Sephora...a very wearable roasted-gourmand and, considering I generally don't enjoy gourmands and dislike many new releases with full of tonka-bean drydowns, I pretty much loved it. That roasted sweet coffee note has won me in, I detected a little lavender, dusty patchoulli, sweet-smoky-coffee and a slight burnt vanilla note.
I was happy to try it, very impressed by it (after the PureEnergy and UltraZest disappointments) and I spent half a day hunting a bottle online and when I found it I ordered two, one for backup (that good it is, to my non-gourmand taste).
Along the evolution on my skin, I felt traces of Pure Wood, New Haarlem, Givenchy Play Intense and Pure Coffee. It will definitely make an honorable place in my Mugler collection. My personal ranking 9/10 ☣☣☣☣. Highly recommended, even for non-gourmands fans.

sarabx5
sarabx5

I have tried this Cologne during few days. I can tell it is a gourmand fragrance by excellence.

From the opening till the end, we can smell a mixture of tonka, chocolate, coffee and sweet cappouccino vanilla.
I didn't detect a franc lavender accord (maybe hidden by the sharp coffee domination).

It is an another intelligent version of Mugler such as Pure Wood / Pure Malt / Pure Havane.

Good projection within 2 hours, then fades slowly within 6 hours max. on my skin.

Excellent for fall/winter

In all, scent, bottle, price ...... I'll give 7/10

Bruno2theV
Bruno2theV

This stuff is A*Menzing!!(See what I did there?)

I was finally able to try this one after weeks of resisting blind buying this one from over priced sellers on Ebay and I was worth the wait.

The first sniff I got from this was Cinnamon with some burned sugar on it. Then the Tonka bean and the Vanilla star to dominate then if finished as a rich gourmand scent.

I immediatly bought it and not only that as I got 23% discount on it.

The scent is soooo awesome and at a point it reminds me of one of my favourites from TM which is The Taste Of Fragrance.

This is a 9/10 scent ladies and gentleman

Blowfishes
Blowfishes

TM have confirmed that the new A*Men Pure Tonka will be available to purchase in selected stores within the UK from 4th June 2016.

Can't wait...

Celeria

Edit : I could sample it and on skin it's in fact really different from Pure Wood , on paper it's really close though.
It has a really spicy almost gingerbreadish vibe , it smells a lot like a mixture of several spices with cinnamon leading through , enlighted by a combo of cacao , patchouli , coffee and some vanilla in the very drydown.

In my opinion this one is the spicier of the line ( However i don't know Taste of Fragrance , it seems also really spicy ) , but not a hot spices kind of a fragrance ,it reminds me more of gourmands spices added to a base of the famous A*men recipe : Cacao , Patchouli and coffee.

I had one day the occasion to drink a cinnamon flavoured brown beer , it is exactly what Pure Tonka reminds me of and what the smell makes me think of.

I also get a mature and formal vibe that I don't find in the other flankers , it is definitely gourmand but also really classy , it's the classiest of the line in my opinion and if I had a choice to make between all the A*men line for a formal occasion I'd go with this one.

4,5 stars / 5 is my rating now , a really nice flanker added to the A*men line.

Ourfrank
Ourfrank

This is sooooo freaking gooood!!!!! If it wasn't about to be summer I would jump allll over this!!!! Best mugler scent that I can think of. Makes all these other new olognes on the market seem so cheap.

misbehavin
misbehavin

I'm totally in love. Because of tonka bean this one smells like smokey, masculine version of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Great sillage and longevity as for A*Men line.

Celeria

I had the occasion to sniff this one on a paper strip ... Meh... I find this one really close to Pure Wood.
It's less dry and woody but it really reminds me a kind of Pure Wood with a roasted coffee note added or a sweetier aspect than Pure Wood, which is drier ... I like it but not love it as Pure Havane/Malt, plus I find this one not really creative or innovative.

However I should test on skin to be really accurate.
3 stars / 5 at the moment

Endymion

This perfume is amazing! Absolutely amazing! Deep, sweet, dark, exciting.
I tested it with Tom Ford Black Orchid and I have to say it's just as much unisex as Black Orchid is. Both perfume are dark but Pure Tonka is sweeter.
It's like Pure Tonka is milk chocolate and Black Orchid is dark chocolate. :)
Want them both!

Molko
Molko

Finally I could try this juice today. I feel strong pepper in the first 30 minutes (I don't know why) and later burned sugar with pepper on my skin, so reminds me strongly of Blue sugar from Aquolina, anyone else?:) It's strong, sweet and dense but not as Blue sugar, more toned down. Little bit too much for Spring, will be perfect in Autumn or in Winter. Pleasant and interesting smell, but disturbs me that I feel so similar to Blue sugar that I used few years ago...
On the paper smells more fresher and not so sugary.
Sillage is above average, lasting is very good

camposg
camposg

I did not find this pleasing at all. Resembled very strongly an old school strong spicy old mans cologne. Nothing wrong with that but did not smell modern at all to me

smoj
smoj

Tried this today in CDG airport, and well.

in my opinion it's a kind of greatest hits of a few A*men frags all in one

first of all yes it smells nice and 'new'

then it starts smelling like pure coffee

then it starts smelling of original A*men

then back to pure coffee

then it end smelling of Pure wood

its a pass and i'll stick to Pure Malt and Pure Havanne

PaulDell
PaulDell

I'm not sure where the lavendar is that people are speaking of. This is a sweet dark mess. The toasted tonka takes on a whole new life, like that of a hippie sitting by a camp fire, then he goes to Starbucks for a latte. If you want a really good tonka and lavendar scent, I highly recommend Prada Luna Rossa Sport.

[email protected]@r
C@nn@r

I definitely get the New Harlem comparisons, it has a sweet pancake syrup vibe to it with a sweet mocha vibe. A lot of new designer colognes have that same cloyingly sweet synthetic note which I think must be the tonka. This is no where near as good as pure malt or havane! PASS, I was hoping for either pure oud or Mugler to come out with a new original men's scent

matty64

Just purchased and wore it for an entire day. I really enjoy it, ironically it's the combo of tonka and lavender that really floats my boat. The two polar opposites of fresh and spicy fight for first place during the intro of this fragrance all the way to dry down. My shirt smells yummy 4 hrs. later, so far! Cheers.

Labaloo
Labaloo

I think they should have named this one "Pure Mocha"- because to my nose, the coffee-chocolate-vanilla is very prominent. Pure Coffee is darker- like straight espresso- but this one is whipped into a frenzy with syrups and topped with dollops of cream! Oh heaven. The patchouli note seems stronger in this flanker as well- just a little, while the green and tar contrasts present in some of the other flankers and the original is toned down. This I think is the most-gourmand of all the flankers, yummy- and I assuredly want a full bottle.

seekritdude
seekritdude

I Agree with the Rochas man/New haarlam similarities. They have the same kinda vibe just doing it a bit different.

Rochas man would be the more sugary, marhsmallow, fresher if you will take on it.

New Haarlem is the breakfast, maple syrup, french toast version.

As for Pure tonka in this vibe. Its darker, more chocolatey. Theres a more pronounced roasted coffee smell, and actually a butter smell. Theres no butter note listed but this definitely has a buttery sorta thick smell to it. And even sorta a cookie smell going on. I also feel like this changes more so than the other 2. As once we get out of the RM/NH vibe, it does change and becomes more of its own animal to say. And we then get a more classic snuggly yummy dry down.

I wouldnt say its a tonka bean bomb at all though so the name is perhaps misleading.

WHatever the case its a nice smell, its hard for me to justify buying a full bottle since again for the first part of the fragrance it is very similar to the other 2, and I own both the others. But I might pick up a decant.

Compliments/reactions were mixed that I tried but I suspect that is probably the nature of being so foody. Might rub some the wrong way with the especially sorta thick buttery vibe perhaps making some a bit queezy to smell for to long.

EnchantedandDecanted
EnchantedandDecanted

This smells good. It just ain't what I want to walk around smelling like. It's like walking by a Starbucks over and over again. It loses the warming feeling and just gets annoying. This flanker is a pass for me!

rerthegreat
rerthegreat

Starts off warm, lots of lavender, smoky, incense, definitely a roasted coffee with creamer scent. Very powerful with massive sillage. The lavender cuts through the scent for the first half hour or so, trying to temper and balance this list of gourmand notes.
It begins to smell a lot like the dry down of pure wood: coconut neoplolitan candy, woody, and the Tonka and vanilla begin to amp up.
The base settles down to the fragrances name sake. Lots of Tonka and vanilla, with a nice mellow note of coffee. Where pure coffee smells earthy, dark chocolate, dry cocoa powder, this is more smooth and agreeable. (I love pure coffee but I could see someone finding it too harsh or off-putting)
To me this is a winner, another a men fragrance done right, the a men enthusiast will snap this up gladly while others may avoid do to the neverending train of pure flankers. An outstanding take on Tonka and vanilla, this stuff lasts and lasts and is excellent in colder weather/early spring.

Rolex83
Rolex83

Smells great kind of like the inside of a Starbucks

cybstem
cybstem

I tried it at Macy's got 4 sprays on me and its very rich and deep and very potent 6 hours later and the roasted tonka still is strong, but some how it smells a lot like insurrection 2 wild by Reyane Tradition

DavidTV
DavidTV

If your from Britain like me then the release date for this pure Tonka will be 3rd June 2016 coming to shops I emailed Thierry mulgler help and they told me this is the date of UK release can't bloody wait!

KoceFF
KoceFF

Sooo sweet...it is is too much. Don't know what is like in the later stages, couldn't stand the start.

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

I love Mugler fragrances but I really wish he'd create a new line for men, rather than so many A*Men flankers.

mikemuscles21
mikemuscles21

Darker and more chocolatey than the others. A Good One !

Blackened
Blackened

Some thoughts after a full wearing day:

- the coffee note is richer and more seductive than the one in pure coffe.
- the caramel base reminds me of toffee, a vanilla toffee with some dark hints.
- Delicious dry down with a feeling to coffee + vanilla + black chocolate.
- It has a great dark touch ... very attractive. It is perhaps the most dark of all the pure saga.
- I feel it the least linear and with a more complex evolution of all the pure saga. For example, Malt, which I love, is much more linear and Havane , after the first hour, stagnate ..

IMO: very close to Malt and Havane level, if not superior.

Great fragance!

If you want a complex and compelling tonka-oriented scent, I suggest Phoenix by Keith Urban, especially if you see it in the "bargain bin." Having a bottle of it, I see no need to buy another scent with very strong tonka.

Valfar
Valfar

What a great scent! I wasn't this pleased by a fragrance for a very long time. At the moment, i think this is the best A*men flanker so far. I will know this for sure when i will get myself a bottle and wear it a few times.
In the opening i got a blast of lavander and tonka, a bit harsh actually, kinda like the original A*men or The Taste of Fragrance. After 5-10 minutes, it reminded me of Pure Wood in some way. After 30 minutes becomes more sweeter, the vanilla starts to come out, and the coffee. I would compare the smell with a sweet vanilla coffee. It smells absolutely delicious. It is definitely a gourmand fragrance. This sweet coffee also reminds me of Rochas Man. So, this is a combination of Pure Wood and Rochas Man to my nose.
As performance goes, this performs very good compared to the previous relesease (Pure Wood and Ultra Zest). Projection is intense for the first 3 hours. After that...it is still easily noticeable for up to 8 hours. Really has the performance of an A*men flanker.
This was a love at first sniff, i think this will be the fragrance of the year and i can't wait to get myself a bottle very soon.

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

This fragrance reminds me of drinking cold coffee with a lot of sugar. Its very sweet (but not candy type of sweet) Tonka and lavender is a weird combination to me.Its like rich dark flowery type of scent to me.But not too flowery.Coffee kicks in along with vanilla. This fragrance is ok to me. It didnt give me a wow face look. Its not overpowering and harsh like angel men.But its a dark sweet coffee type of smell. Pure malt is still my favorite of them all a long with ultra zest and pure havane. Longevity and silage is good. Got 6 to 8 hours. Not bad from mugler. I will test this some more. Maybe my nose is not use to this smell. who knows i might like it in the near future

Germany
Germany

Very smooth coffee/ tonka / vanilla lavender fragrance.

Just received this a few hours ago and I am going to order a second bottle !!! This is the best coffee scent out of all the ones I tried. Very sweet compared to most and absolutely unisex in my opinion. I am a woman and I love this one. It's pretty much perfection in that category of coffee frags. I prefer it to new Haarlem , Intoxicated ,Rochas man , regular A man and to black opium etc ,,,, this one is amazing and I already got two compliments and only have it on for an hour or so.
This is like a niche scent to me. Very unisex and high quality. Most niche frags are unisex and aren't over the top girly. This falls into same category of how most niche frags behave. Neither female nor male. Just a damn good smell.
This is definitely a gourmand fragrance. I love the lavender with the coffee and tonka.
A man pure tonka is moving to my top shelf :) the vanilla is amazing in here too.
If a man would wear this I would be all over him !
One of the best unisex smells ever !!!

landshark321
landshark321

The much-anticipated release of latest flanker to Thierry Mugler's A*Men, has been met mostly with joy rather than disappointment. I have four of the Thierry Mugler A*Men flankers (Malt, Havane, Coffee, and Wood, with Malt being the best) and Tonka does slightly veer off in a different direction due to the lavender in the opening, which gives it the certain characteristic freshness associated with lavender. The lavender does not linger long, however, and the experience soon becomes dominated by the sweet dry down experience that is characteristic of the other abovementioned flankers, with a little patchouli and coffee in the base. The overall character of Pure Tonka is most similar to Pure Wood, though Pure Tonka is sweeter, leaning toward coconut and of course tonka, and Pure Wood leans more toward leather.

Pure Tonka is enough of a departure from the rest of the line to be enjoyable in its own right and not all that redundant. Performance is similarly excellent, like the other A*Men brethren cited above. This might be slightly better than Pure Wood but still not quite as superb as Coffee, Havane, or Malt. One I'll likely be adding to my collection.

8 out of 10

Tommy2fish
Tommy2fish

The reviews here are really spot on. Reading Buysblind's review was like reading the lyrics while listening to the song.
My initial impression was thinking it smelled just like pure coffee, I felt it was definitely an A*Men fragrence and had that same bite. Being able to smell both Pure Tonka and Pure Coffee side by side really showcased the the highlights of Pure Tonka and showed the beauty of the bite of lavender as opposed to the bitter bean in Pure Coffee.
The progression is just fantastic, I keep wanting to say it's very coffee like but it's not really that as its not bitter at all, it's really creamy kind of thick and I think because it has a roasted feel it gives me a slight chocolate vibe. There's a time when the vanilla really comes in where It smells to me exactly like the cream in an oreo cookie, like if you scraped it off and smelled it. Though the vanilla lasts throughout there was only the one small period it smelled of that cream, maybe when all the scents were still in play?
After a couple hours my wife says she can still smell a lot of lavender.
I am enjoying this one, I don't absolutely love it but I do like it a lot. I think it's a solid entry and shows off. For me I feel it's more of an early fall winter,

NettiB
NettiB

Very, very, good flanker. In fact one of the, if not the, best A*Men flanker. I always purchase the flankers blind and frankly in the last few years I wasn't too impressed, then this one came along. The last few were good don't get me wrong, but not great. This one is great. Definitely need to have a sweet tooth, though.

Opening is loud and polarizing; I love it, being a frag head, but the average nose may turn away. The lavender is not as "cheap detergent" as I thought it was going to be. Lavender generally turns me off for this reason, I can't disassociate it from cheap bathroom fresheners and the like, but it is blended well here. Regardless of the fact that the blend is right it still comes off as peculiar in the opening, and thus polarizing.

1-1.5 hours later the lavender tones way down and the caramel chocolate latte emerges, and it is so good. The rest of the life is this caramel latte. Sit back, and enjoy. I would say no more than 2 pumps in most circumstances, but if you go 3 or more I'd suggest applying 1.5-2 hours before meeting with friends if you value their well being. If you want to kill someone, apply 4 sprays and get in a car with them 10 minutes later.

This fragrance is sort of what I wish A*Men was. I had an old "Angel Men" bottle and subsequently got a new A*Men to replace it a few years ago and it never felt the same, probably due to reformulations. Patchouli is all I get in the base of current A*Men, no sweetness. This ones fills the old formulation Angel Men void, and I'm very glad it has come along.

Eyeteach
Eyeteach

Good God this is good! There is so much right with this fragrance! I pick up notes from New Haarlem and B*Men mixed together. This one stands out and in a great way!!! Do yourself a favor: Buy it!!!

platinum14
platinum14

For all the mentions of lavender, I was weary that this might go too far into fougère territory. I am not a fan of fougère! But on me the lavender is almost non-existant. I get coffee! The A*Men genetic code is there, but with coffee. I never had the chance to smell A*Men Pure Coffee but in a blind test I might have assumed that this was it.

Pure Tonka, much like Taste of Fragrance Chili, is a darker version of the original A*Men scent. That suits me just fine.

micavana
micavana

Pure Tonka opens with a Rochas Man vibe, with a prominent Lavender note. It is one of the more sweet scents in this line. It has great projections for about 4 or 5 hours on my skin, it can easily fill the room during that time. Then it begins to dry down to a closer scent, but not a skin scent. A good arms length in my case. During the dry down the Caramel, Tonka and Vanilla emerge. Making this a very sweet, but beautiful scent. Like most others in the line, it is a very long lasting scent. It has been 10 hours since I have applied it and it is still going strong. In this phase I get a New Haarlem vibe with a touch of Patchouli. While the Patchouli is there, it is not as pronounced as it is in other Mugler flankers.

Bottom line is, if you like Rochas Man, New Haarlem, Pure Havane and Pure Malt, you will like this one. So try a sample.

RoyalPerez516
RoyalPerez516

Though i must say that i am almost fed-up with the flankers, I cannot hate on this fragrance.

firstly, for the frag heads who have not smelled this - think givenchy play intense EXTREME. that is exactly what this smells like - GPI but it is more extrmeme than the givenchy.

this one starts with a very nice blast of lavender and tonka that oddly enough conjures up this almost coconut vibe but for those who hate coconut fear not - it dissolves and enters its full on, delicious capuccino like state.

once the dust settles and 15 mins have elp[ased, this wonderful, almost BUTTERY tonka aoccrd develops, to be honest with you this didnt really blow me away at first since i made the connection to givenchy play intense, but the more it lingered the more it made my eyes sparkel, it is just so beautiofully blended - it's like spreading a fine butter oiver your skin made out of lavender and tonka - it really is fantastic!

Those of us frag heads will recognize almost immediately the old tales of michael jordan legend, givenchy, rochas man and last but certainly not least - new haarlem.

this one though, to me, is a better choice above the competition. where Michael Jordan lies flat, this one just blooms into a most amazing, almost coffee bakery type vibe at its heart. I sat there just salivating thinking of a delicious hot flaky danish dessert with butter drizzled all over it - this thing is a breakfast table at a pancake restaurant in a bottle.

For the gourmand lovers, this one will certainly NOT disappoint! Though for the more well versed frag heads out there it is a "been there, done that" type of fragrance that -though still enjoyable- a bit redundant.

Scent 9/10
longevity 8.5/10
Silage 9/10
overall an excellent 9/10!

kokucu muco
kokucu muco

Smells just like a CARAMEL CANDY on my skin.
The opening is AMAZING. It opens with harsh lavender and a beautiful type of tonka. 5mins later it's just like caramel with a touch of coffee

It reminds me of the drydown of 'Musc ravageur' + Rochas man

Not for me.

longevity: +12 hours on me
projection:4-5 hours on me ( beastly the first 2 hours)
sillage : excellent

GodKing
GodKing

First Impression: my bottle arrived Saturday afternoon and I wore it out Saturday Night and again this morning. Although not my favorite scent genre, Pure Tonka is something the gourmand folks may love. Sure, there are some aromatic/fresh lavender tones along with some opening hints of that A*Men DNA, however Pure Tonka is largely about roasted tonka beans, coffee with fresh cream...and a pinch of french vanilla. This fragrance summons images of creme brulee, vanilla pound cake and coffee cake in my mind.

When I first applied this fragrances (4-sprays) I could barely smell it so I immediately applied 4-more. I'm not sure why there was a 20-30 second delay in this fragrance opening, but Pure Tonka performed pretty well (above-average) and lasted a solid 12-hours on my skin...although it sat softly after 4-hours. When I woke-up this morning I could smell the delicious drydown on my arms. A terrific gourmand scent...loved it, which is saying a lot since I'm not a huge fan of these sweet dessert scents.

Not a review, just my initial impressions. While not quite in the same league Dior Feve Delicieuse, for the price-tag it is quite a nice gourmand fragrance. If you don't like gourmand fragrances or are expecting something that smells a lot like A*Men...keep walking, because you're probably not going to like this one. Regardless, an excellent release by Mugler!

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Pure Love

Lovely. Like a concert, lavender opens the act for a very tobacco like tonka, the main performer, flanked by sweet vanilla. I think there is patchouli in the background.

Tonka is known to last. You'll get 8-10 hours of Pure Tonka solid. Projection / silage is beastly during the first or second hour. Then it settles, projecting noticeably but not beast/party mode like during the first hour. Much like Pure Malt. You'll get your money's worth. Quite wearable.

This line never disappoints.

I look forward to one called Pure Arabia, where the main star is Oud, accompanied by Persian rose and spices from the Arabic world.

Also Pure Maya, with Mexican chocolate, Mayan cacao, tobacco, coffee and spices from the Mexican peninsula.

Pure Voodoo featuring Haitian Vetiver

And last Pure Borneo, featuring Patchouli from New Guinea/Borneo and South Pacific Sandalwood.

Thiery are you listening!!!????

Buysblind
Buysblind

This is a very solid addition to the A*Men line and one of the most different flankers out there other than the stuff like Pure Shot/Energy and B*Men. It opens up with a hefty dose of aromatic lavender, a little bit on the light purple side, fresh and pleasantly synthetic in a sort of plasticky way. The lavender has some bite to it, and I like how Mugler avoided using some kind of faceless, anonymous lavender and instead chose something with a little character. The tonka enters alongside it not long after and for a little while you have a great combination of the two--a fresh aromatic top over a sweeter, warmer heart. On my skin the lavender lasts with a bold presence for about 15 minutes to a half hour before it begins to settle in and blend with the rest of the fragrance. On fabric, the lavender lasts for hours, on equal par with the tonka. Anyway, the tonka accord is spot on, in my opinion. It's not your standard vague ambery sweet stuff that's found in the base of fragrances like Eros, AHSEE, or Code. It's much more distinct, as if a lot of effort and care went into making it the right way and really treating the tonka as formidable, multi-dimensional note. You get various facets of the tonka here: First, there's that sweet, caramelic heart of the bean, its most gourmand element, very nicely done with a soft, natural radiance at the center; then you have a warm toasted aroma that kind of creeps around the edges as if the beans were recently roasted and pulled out of the fire; and finally Pure Tonka brings some of tonka's almond-like marzipan character along with it as well, so you get a little bit of that cherry note that can be found in fragrances like Tonka Imperiale. Now in the base Pure Tonka incorporates an excellent rich, buttery vanilla, reminiscent of a custard or thick vanilla shake. It's a round, encompassing note that really does a good job of establishing the base and connecting with the tonka. This is a high quality gourmand style of vanilla, that I've actually encountered in Tobacco Vanille, Tabac Rouge, and more recently, Cristian Dior's Feve Delicieuse. In fact, Pure Tonka definitely shares some similarities with the heart of Feve Delicieuse, in so far as its presentation of tonka and the vanilla that it chooses to use in the base. It makes for a great conclusion to the composition and finally you have everything working together. There are traces of the lavender still at play, the tonka's now settled in and more or less blended with the vanilla, and what you're left with is a sweet, rounded aroma with very nice projection that manages to even stay a little bit fresh. Also worth noting is a sweet coffee note, as if from a dessert cocktail which sort of weaves itself throughout the scent. Performance is excellent, though the projection doesn't feel as nuclear as the original and some of its flankers. I think that's because Pure Tonka doesn't feature some of the sharp, potentially abrasive notes like tar and patchouli that can be found in some of the others. At least I didn't notice these notes. Overall I think this is a very good release, and probably the most office-friendly A*Men flanker yet. So far all comments have been positive and I felt completely comfortable wearing this around everywhere, which isn't always the case with some of the other flankers and original. Furthermore, I don't feel any sense of redundancy owning this, as it's quite different than the others. Thumbs up, and just a great smell overall!

One last thing to note: This smells totally different on a paper strip than skin, so make sure to test it out properly. On paper the lavender dominates, and for whatever reason the tonka and vanilla never really make much of an appearance. On skin, it's a completely different story, as the tonka and vanilla eventually dominate. I recommend spraying a little on fabric as well as skin to get the best of both worlds.

raiyanhasin
raiyanhasin

Let's not abuse the REVIEW section of Fragrantica, folks.
I see people arguing, asking where to find it, speculating, and hating on Pure Tonka even before it came out.

Let's all grow up and make the Fragrantica review section useful by making it a source of proper information on the fragrance in context...and not make it a personal journal of what you love, hate, want or wish for or minor squabbles. There are forums in this site where you can take all that to.

Someone please review Pure Tonka and present it here before this thread gets any more ridiculous.

Geraldim_Neto
Geraldim_Neto

Thierry Mugler = top notch fragrances!!!
I love intensely the whole Thierry Mugler male line!
And with it certainly won't be different...

@jovejove,

Mix of Armani Code Original + Play Intense Givenchy ?

I'm so crazy of Armani Code Original but I keep distance from it due to lack of projection and staying power.

I love Givenchy Play, but Play Original is the one I have and crazy about because it has sparkling edge to it. But PI is creamy and I love creamy scent.

But still, your review about the mix of Armani code + Givenchy PI excites me more. I'm imagining cozy, warm,smooth & elegant scent coming from this Tonka Bean TM.

Since TM colognes & perfumes are well known with their staying power and projection. Hopefully this goes the same way too.

Raproid
Raproid

Because they CAN xD As well as trying it - I tried this fragrance personally 6 years ago and now am writing to you from the future.

jovejove

@techno1980, I did, but my review got deleted. To me it smells like a mix between Armani Code original and Givenchy Play Intense. It smells like a sweet coffee and tonka scent.

jovejove

@Plantus. I smelled it in November. I work in the industry. All fragrances are finalized a year and a half before they're put on the shelf. Normally vendors show the retail staff the fragrance on average at least 3-6 months before it launches. I am one of those privileged to be able to smell most fragrances before majority of the retailers even hear about it. Buyers of retailers head to Paris around now for the 2017 fall catalogue. By the time you hear about stuff on places like Fragrantica, that means that the fragrances are being shipped at that moment to the distributors to be sent to stores. Don't assume that someone hasn't smelled something before, just because you haven't. Fragrances aren't made in a month; it takes about 3-5, sometime 10 years, for a fragrance to come out.

gregmech26
gregmech26

I hope Pure Coconut is next!

Tonka bean ??!

Wow ! It's one my favorite note. I love every perfumes that has Tonka in them. Tonka bean, vanilla, Cashmeran wood, guaiac wood, sandalwood are the notes that I enjoyed the most.

Which explains I am more to warm, cozy, creamy scents. I'm still learning on how perfumes react on my skin and found that warm creamy perfumes unfold more beautifully and agrees well with my skin.

Hopefully this one last long like crazy and project well like the A-Men cologne. Because that's what I'm looking for now.

A creamy, sweet, cozy, warm and smooth scents but with strong projection and last long.

matty64

Hey Plantus, people in the industry have prive to first sniffs and samples of upcoming releases before the general public. I know a nice lady who works for Clarins, she once told me that this company is very good about communicating to their employees thru new release seminars. So, if you work for Clarins fragrance division, then you've probably already smelled and skin tested this product. Hope this info was helpful.

I want Pure Chocolate!!! :D

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify A*Men Pure Tonka by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of A*Men Pure Tonka by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.