Designers » T-Z » Oriental « Groups

Oriental Express Thierry Mugler for women and men

Oriental Express Thierry Mugler for women and men
dislike

Oriental Express Thierry Mugler for women and men Pictures

Oriental Express by Thierry Mugler is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Oriental Express was launched in 2014. Oriental Express was created by Jean-Christophe Herault and Olivier Polge. Top note is basil; middle notes are sandalwood and vanilla; base note is carrot seeds.

Basil

Sandalwood Vanilla

Carrot Seeds

Dior Homme Intense

Oriental Express Fragrance Reviews

shushkin
shushkin

A powdery, not very sweet, delicate vanilla and spices fragrance. Ive smelt similar fragrances to this. It so very similar to Dior Homme Intense but without the iris note. You would be potty to pay big money for it when you could buy DHI for much less. Moderate sillage and longevity

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

I received few days ago 3 samples from "les exceptions" among them Oriental express. And with pun intended, this one does smell more of an express modern minimalist oriental, than an oriental fit for the iconic "Orient-express" train.

Immediately there is a big iris-like note which is the carrot seeds peeking through the base. It kinda recreates the pear-iris-cocoa accord of Dior homme intense. The vanilla and sandalwood(the latter being subdued) is not much to write home about and the mint is not much of a player here. The overall effect is very similar to Dior homme intense. It has a slight apple/carrot and rose vibe that also recalls "traversee du Bosphore" in the opening. But mostly the lipstick-oriental DHI vibe.

Ok so it smells good, but can't really enjoy it too much, for it's minilamism is not dreamy or sensual, what you'd expect from an Oriental. Plus its really is similar to an array of other perfumes.

EDIT: I grew to like Oriental Express more, as it has a nice presence, soft powderiness and a nice cloud of carrot/vanilla/spice.

scent: 7+/10
longevity: 6/10
sillage: 7/10

joycka
joycka

Like MonsieurdeParis already mentioned, this is a Olivier Polge creation but Polge also created the first Dior Homme and Valentino Uomo, witch for me is more similar to Oriental express. Like in DH and for me also in Val. Uomo, there is definitely Iris in this composistion. As from the start to half drydown. Or it should be the mix vanilla - carrot seeds. Who knows. After that, Vanilla came as the most present player and to me there is definitely used the same vanilla accord as in Cuir Beluga witch for me still is the most beautiful scent I ever came across. For me Oriental Express is a stunner like most of Ploge creations. Again, Thanks monsieur Polge

MonsieurdeParis
MonsieurdeParis

Everyone is just going to ignore how much this smells like Guerlain's Cuir Beluga? That's the first thing that came to mind, then I came over to fragrantica to realize O.E. is also an Olivier Polge creation. Bravo, Monsieur Polge, but I prefer Beluga!

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

وصلتني عينه بالصدفة لهذه المجموعة
هذا العطر اعجبني وكعادة العطور التي تحوي نوتة السوسن اجد نفسي متوقف عندها حتى وان كررت هذه النوته جميله بحق ومحببة للنفس
سأترك تعليق سريع يرتكز حول العطر في الدقائق الاولى وربما هي جوهر العطر
العطر من بدايته تنبعث منه رائحة السوسون ذات الطابع الخشبي الباودري (رائحة أحمر الشفاة ولكن ليس بشكل كثيف هنا) مع نفحات بارده ذكرتني كثيرا بعطر ديور اوم او رائحة السوسون في عطر ديور اووم الكلاسيك مع تلك اللمحات المنعشة، لاحقا مزيدا من التفاصيل
لاتنس ذكر لله والصلاة على النبي

nbailey9
nbailey9

I received a sample of this when I ordered a bottle of Womanity (which should tell you something about my rather controversial taste in perfumes!) Like so many people have said, as soon as I sprayed it I thought "mmmmm. Guerlain." I wear Shalimar on a regular basis, but this actually reminds me more of Samsara. The tone is calmer and more woodsy. It's a really beautiful composition with amazing staying power. I sprayed two spritzes at 6pm and could still smell it at 2pm the next day. It feels like what you would get if you distilled all the beautiful oriental perfumes out there down to their basic essence. Comforting and mysterious, but sadly not worth the price tag given that there are so many other somewhat more unique variations on this market. A safe and beautifully done product from Mugler, but worth about half the market price.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I am in agreement with Platinum14's review... A very Shalimar-esque composition indeed! I was fortunate enough to receive a sample of this from a dear fellow fragrantian, allowing me to be one of the few US members to enjoy this unusual offering from Mugler.

In some ways, I would say it is an understated beauty, lacking some of the 'wow' factor in Shalimar. Perhaps less memorable, but certainly just as comforting and beautiful. I smell no carrot, just perfectly melded notes of traditional elegance and Guerlain appeal. Given the price range, however, I am not sorry to say that Shalimar appeals a bit more to my nose. There is something more arresting and memorable about Shalimar, though perhaps an unfair comparison with this newcomer. ;)

To sum up, Oriental Express is a wonderful surprise from Mugler, and considerably more classic and wearable than many new releases. :D I always smile when smelling creations of this quality, no matter what the year, price, or designer. Why?

REAL Perfume!

christianne1
christianne1

Honestly, if I hadn't read the word "carrot" in the notes, it would have never even crossed my mind to think this has carrot in it. All I get is a pretty classic Amber Oriental. A little spice, vanilla, a speck of floral, sandalwood, some powder....the typical, classic oriental fragrance. If anything, I was surprised by what a fairly safe scent this is considering it is Mugler. But I think this whole line is less polarizing and that is what some do not like, well, because it is Mugler and you expect a POW somewhere. For me, this is a nice, pleasant classic oriental but it just doesn't grab me in any way. But I can see where those who love this style of fragrance might really be pleased. I prefer my Mugler with either shock value or sensory confusion but this one is pretty safe to me. But it lasts a super long time on me. Like 24 hours. I think this exclusive line just aims to smell good and not confuse or wrinkle any noses. Give or take a few I guess but I mean generally. Some nice fragrances but you won't find anything as polarizing as Angel or Womanity in this collection. At least not for me. All are nice but none have made me want to start searching Ebay like a madwoman for a deal or anything or made me go WTF am I smelling. And that part I kind of miss because sometimes revolting can be fun. :)

bobochu
bobochu

This seems to be a really polarizing fragrance, just like several other Mugler fragrances, with people saying that it smells like disgusting, overboiled carrot. Wearing this on my skin however, I get a lovely nuance between ambery notes, florals, and an earthy note, which I assume is the carrot wood.

This fragrance later dries down to a really nice sweet floral fragrance, with the carrot note gone about 10 hours later. This fragrance lasts about 12 hours and has a powerful sillage.

When they bottled the fragrance, they actually pour it out from the fountain and adorn it with a ribbon bearing the name of the fragrance. It's a truly marvellous presentation, and one worth savouring.

My only complaint is the price (CAD$ 185) and exclusivity, which is why I took off a mark. 9/10

IMPORTANT: Yes this is a Canadian and Italian exclusive for now*. In Canada, the Les Exceptions line is sold exclusively at the flagship Hudson's Bay stores. For Toronto, that means Eaton Centre and Yorkdale Mall. IDK about other stores, so please call ahead. This fragrance line is also available to Canadian customers/people with a Canada border PO box at thebay.com. If you are outside of Canada/Italy, I would recommend you wait for it to come to your country (if it does) because the price that some people want for decants is absolutely crazy.

*Nordstrom recently announced that it would be available in select US stores by 2016.

WhoNose
WhoNose

This reminds me a lot of blue amber by montale.

yourfriendmarito

I finally purchased it and I really like it. It is powdery, inofessive and lasts forever. Last saturday, I sprayed it at 8:00 AM and came back at 22:00 to shower and I could still smell it. IMO it fits well for a man who likes Dior Homme. The bottle has a HUGE problem: it is a refilable bottle with a sprayer that could be removed pretty easily. The sprayer is very cheap and leaks, so there is always this scent floating around in my bathroom and my bottle is always kind of dirty... For this outrageous pricetag, I thought that the bottle would work perfectly without spilling the precious juice.

I love powdery scent, I use Chanel 19 Poudre, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense on heavy rotation. I also wear Coromandel. For this reason, Oriental Express falls directly into my preference.

yourfriendmarito

I have tried this 3 times. I was very enthusiastic at the beginning, but I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed. I still get this Dior Homme general feeling. This is a powdery scent. However, I feel that this is clearly on the feminine side (unlike dior Homme). I am no longer interested to buy this.

It has excellent longevity but little projection. There are several better options for a powdery feminine perfume(look into Guerlain Shalimar Eau Initiale or Chanel 19 Poudre). Also, the price is outrageous.

I dont necessarily agree it smells like Dior Homme, more like a Chanel no 5 face powder, or some face cream, it is vintage in the smell, classic, a bit spicy..I find it more feminine than masculine...I dont find it to be the most masculine of the line, it has a certain complexity .nothing I would wear, but it is interesting, soft yet present..I do not detect any vanilla, it is a soft spicy scent, nicely done.

platinum14
platinum14

While on paper this is close to Dior Homme, as mentioned below, it also has a rich Coromandel type vibe.

BUT DON'T BE FOOLED: it is very different on skin... on my skin anyway. The iris that is round, juicy and bright on paper becomes very powdery on skin.
The sandalwood, vanilla ( and carrot core-I guess) turn this fragrance into a very Shalimar-esque scent. (This Guerlain influence is also noticeable in Fougère Furieuse which reminds me of Habit Rouge)

While the Toronto Sales Associate presented this one as being the most masculine of the collection, I found it just a bit too powdery for my taste.
Is it a great fragrance? Yes.
Do I like it? Yes.
Do I need it? No. I can live without it.

jovejove

Ingredients List; sourced from the official press book.

Oriental Express; Bergamot, sandalwood, vanilla, carrot core and carrot seeds.

Chyprissime; Bergamot, oak moss, cistus labdanum, patchouli and pear

Fougere Furieuse; Geranium, oak moss, bergamot, coumarin, amber and neroli

Supra Floral; Hyacinth, amber and oud.

Over the Musk; Musk and hibiscus seeds (ambrette seeds)

jovejove

They are all EDP, not EDT.

I'll see if I can post the notes in the afternoon on Friday for all the people curious to know what's in the fragrances.

Just saying, the advisor shouldn't have made the mistake, especially since I can guarantee you that they had extensive training on the fragrances (both in English and in French). They specifically want the language and service to be universal.

Here's a sales trick and I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but if you try a fragrance on, you're most likely not going to get a sample of it. You also never ask for a sample, because there's a good chance you won't get it. All companies provide little tools when it comes to sampling, so unless you're a serious customer that is interested in the product...you're never going to get a sample. Spend at least 15 minutes and have a consultation with the associate in order to be given a sample. If you come at least once a month to your favourite destination where they sell perfumes, those associates recognize your face and won't provide you with samples, because you probably won't buy. A sales associate has to sell you on the dream concept of a fragrance. If you're not biting on that dream, to them, you're not worth the one sample they have out of 200 that they are given for a 6 month period. When each associate deals with 100+ people a day, that's not a lot of samples.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Update August 18,15
I have noticed from when this nieche fragrance first came out no one took serious and now a lot more are buying this line.
This is a true story, as I was going through the store that carries this line all the associate's were talking about a woman from the Middle East had bought several sets for family back home.
I'm able to appreciate this juice being a gorgeously nieche line at a reasonable price comparing it to other's.

UPDATE:
I finally made the leap to buy this EDP which has a very warm/woodsy/floral with a definite iris note also a sweet tone which my partner enjoy's and wears as well. Out of the Les Exceptions collection...Oriental Express, Chyprissime, Fougere Furieuse, Supra Floral and Over the musk....Oriental Express is the most unisex of all!!! As you spray it on your skin the aroma of vanilla (with a hint of iris), cedar blending with spicy notes makes it an ABSOLUTE SEXY TO WEAR!
Both longevity and Silage is VERY HIGH...well past 10hrs on my skin!
I ABSOLUTELY❤ this juice making worth buying in my opinion. 10/10 NO REGRETS!!!!!
As long as you enjoy this fragrance and it compliment's you it is worth it so I went for.
This juice was launched in a major retailer and I was curious to see what this frag was all about. When I first sprayed it on my skin I could smell a real sweet/woodsy/spicy notes. From what I could smell is definitely two major notes..1) floral notes again either iris and or labdanum is possibly as well patchouli being a sweet note. Without a doubt this frag has an ABSOLUTE blast of VANILLA. The base notes from what I could smell is oakmoss and possibly cedar.
This fragrance starts with a unique dark mystical allure...after it settles you have a real attractive powdery/cozy frag which is a very high quality aroma.
longevity and Silage are both excellent, lasting over 6hrs.
Overall thoughts,
I noticed the comparison between DH and Valentino which both have iris. I would agree that this frag screams both iris and vanilla making it ABSOLUTELY creamy aroma. Rating..this frag is excellent 9/10

vicknasty
vicknasty

I think what is meant by carrot "wood" is really the core of the carrot, and maybe it loses something in the English translation (the sheet the salesgirl had was only in French). If you've ever had a big, mature carrot and eaten it à la Bugs Bunny, once you get to the leafy end, the core is unpleasant to eat and has a woody texture!

I sprayed this today on my wrist, I would say it smells less of carrot than it does of parsnip, but is not vegetal at all. It reminded me of Christmas dinner, when I make glazed parsnips. This is beyond gorgeous! Such a powdery, woody and sweet vanillic iris (okay, okay, CARROT). It is sublime. In my opinion, the standout of the five.

I was a little irked that they don't give out samples of these scents. Well, you CAN get a sample, but you have to buy a full bottle of one to get a sample of another!

yourfriendmarito

jovojove, I got this (bois de carrotte) from the official documentation at Mugler Store in Montreal. They have the exclusivity of the product. I was also surprised to read this note. I sure know that carrot does not grow in trees...

jovejove

Carrot core and carrot seeds are the guest ingredients. Other than that, it's vanilla, sandalwood and bergamot. ( there's no such thing as carrot wood)

yourfriendmarito

Notes are carrot wood and vanilla. This is really close to Dior Homme. I was 100% sure that the main note was Iris Root, but it is not. It is a more sophisticated version of Dior Homme and it is unforgettable.

sandrina_bambina
sandrina_bambina

The notes we will add a bit later. For now there is just announcement that collection has followed traditional olfactory groups, so we will update everything when we get the final info. And yes, it is available only in Italy and Canada, but I presume it will be available worldwide later on.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler Oriental Express fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler Oriental Express, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oriental Express by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oriental Express by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.