Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men

The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men
dislike

coffee
The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men Pictures The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men Pictures The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men Pictures The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler for men Pictures

Thierry Mugler presents Taste of Fragrance (Le Gout du Parfum) in autumn 2011, a project that unites the world of perfumes and the world of gourmet cuisine and taste. Four fragrances of the house (Angel, Alien, A * Men and Womanity) are enriched with a gourmand note or "taste enhancer." Helene Darozze, one of the most famous French chefs, was asked to make recipes for Thierry Mugler treats. The recipes can be found at the official site.

A * Men (“Spicy instinct”) is an oriental woody structure that combines notes of patchouli, vanilla and coffee. This edition is spiced with red pepper. Available as 100 ml EDT.

Top notes: bergamot, lavender, coriander, mint. Heart: patchouli, red pepper, cedar. Base: coffee, styrax, tonka bean, vanilla, musk.

Lavender Coriander Bergamot Mint

Patchouli Virginia Cedar Chili Pepper

Musk Tonka Bean Vanille Coffee

The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Fragrance Reviews

houstcs
houstcs

I finally got to try this. Anyone else out there smell Fahrenheit Absolute here? I do sense small differences like a little coffee added to the mix, but find them disappointingly similar as I had built this one up in my mind for a while now.

marycon
marycon

My second favorite Thierry Mugler fragrance. Pure havane still my favorite. But this is a delicious coffee, vanilla, pepper fragrance and gets compliments all the time. Underrated for sure.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I'm not a big coffee fragrance guy (love the smell and taste of fresh brewed coffee but I, personally, don't want to smell it on my skin) but my wife and daughter love the scent of Rochas Man, and not-so-much real men's fragrances like Leather Oud and The Aoud, so I bought this one to have a few coffee prominent fragrances on-hand.

It's an odd-ball, for sure!...has the A*Men DNA (complete with a very faint tar note in the background) and that chili pepper thing going on pretty strong the first hour or so. But this blend is kept in check with vanilla, patchouli and tonka bean (just wish the coriander note was a bit more prominent) and ToF manages come across as being a pleasant gourmand fragrance.

I do like it (don't love it) and feel it is certainly a unique fragrance, but ToF is certainly not in the same league as rock-stars like Pure Malt and Pure Havane. I would rate ToF #5 out of the 7 A*Men/Flankers I own. A definite try before you buy.

MegaMav
MegaMav

My storyline for this one:

You walk into someone's home around the holidays, there is a spicy cinnamon broom in the corner next to the door. You smell the aroma of molasses & allspice across the house, in the kitchen.

You walk to the kitchen, the cake is in the oven, but the shavings of fresh ginger are still on the cutting board.

Later on, the cake is ready, its still warm, you eat the cake while a cappuccino is brewing in the background.

The dishes the pieces cake were served on remain on the table, and you enjoy the aroma of the cappuccino wafting in front of you, while you warm your hands on the cup and enjoy the company around you.

Very well done, outside the box gourmand.
Warm, inviting, interesting.

S24995
S24995

I went back and forth on ToF for awhile, but I've decided it's not for me. I don't think the pepper note is very appealing and it reminds me of a plastic-like smell. Apparently, I have an unpopular opinion, but I say skip this one. Since the original, PM, & PH are all available, why would I bother with ToF?

soned
soned

About a year ago, I bought a tester of this cologne. Now...I don't know if the theory that testers are more "concentrated" is true or not, but I am starting to believe it, since this one, lasts longer on me than Amen, PH and PM. All others been standard ones.

This one is very spicy at the top, sweet spicy food...as the name implies. Then it dries down more similar to PH than the others, but there still spiciness there.

PH is my favorite, but this one is a close second, with PM next (extremely over hyped in my opinion), and Amen takes the last place (that opening is way too much).

Alex Souza
Alex Souza

Coffee with pepper caramel, I feel in my mouth when I application this perfume, true and delicious gourmand

DR ROCK
DR ROCK

the king of the best spices !!!
price is very good !

Valfar
Valfar

This one, as my other A*men flankers, was also a blind-buy. It is a very rare one, i had a hard time finding this. So, when i first sprayed it on my wrist, i was a bit dissapointed, i didn't like the blast of pepper and ground coffee. It was intoxicating. But, after like 10 minutes, that spicy feeling is a bit mild, at this moment, first thing that came to mind was "hm...Pure Havane". Yes, it has that cherry vibe from Pure Havane. Only this one, is like a sour cherry with pink pepper and coffee. After 30-45 minutes the fragrances becomes very pleasant. At this moment i get a nice vanilla cappucino smell with a touch of that sour cherry. After a short period of time, comes the sad part: the projection drops dramatically, but not at that level that you have to stick your nose on the wrist to get a whiff. Let's say, if someone will be very close to you, or hug you, it's there. But it doesn't have a scent trail. I was expecting a better performance considering that it is after all, a Mugler fragrance. Overall, it was a good blind-buy, not as succesful as Pure Malt and Pure Havane, but i like it. After 3 wearings, i will give this one a rating of 7/10 (i could give a higher rate if the projection was better). So is it worth buying this? Well, if you are a Mugler fan and a collector of the A*Men flankers, you should get it.

MickeyB
MickeyB

I love AMen PM and PH, but this I cannot stand. The spicy opening is way too much for me and just burns my nose. Many people say it lasts a few seconds, but on me it lasts for a few hours. After the pepper smell goes away it smells great and it lasts forever like all TM stuff, but it's not worth the wait for me. Immediately ordered another bottle of PM and 3 more of PH, I'll stick with those.

Molko
Molko

Weird and weird and weird, first smell is strong spice, but transforms to the base of Amen with spice/chili. I don't feel any chocolate or coffee, rather burned sugar, caramel with spice, maybe. The tar note is missing therefore more wearable than regular Amen, but this weird spicy note disturbs me. I feel that I know this scent already from the past. Temporarily I don't like too much, but I try it yet.
update: I have 5ml little sprayer from this fragrance and I smell spicy Blue sugar in the sprayer cap, more weird...
Longevity and sillage is not as good as Amen, just 3-4 hours on dry skin with moderate projection.
update: I don't know what happened but I started to like this spicy juice:)

iammyping
iammyping

Bear in mind that I've never been a huge fan of A*man. I found it appollingly, overwhelmingly, unbearably sweet and tiring. Honestly I couldn't live with it, period. This was, it thought, even worse, because it smells like cheap cherry-chocolate liquor, and despite that- it is much better than the original. A bit spicy too, I could easily imagine real people wearing this,unlike the A*men;) Still- If You want not overhyped, uberclassy fougere scent- L'instant pour Homme is the best You can get in my most honest opinion.

palebunny
palebunny

I'm a girl and I find this fragrance overwhelmingly delicious. I wear it on myself. Hauntingly good. Red chili pepper rings in the opening, but only for a few seconds, then fades demurely into the backdrop of honeyed chocolate. Wish there was more coffee and caramel.

scentgent
scentgent

This is pepper done right.

Soft crushed pepper mixed with sugary chocolate notes. I know it isn't listed, but maybe I am confusing it with coffee. At any rate, I do like how the notes compliment each other.

It is still a good fragrance for winter. It's a great dating fragrance in all honesty. Its spicy with chocolate (like the kind of powdered chocolate in hot chocolate packets)

Versatililty: 6/10 (dating scene only)
Projection: 7/10 (Closer to the skin, but not just on the skin)
Longevity: 8/10 (8 hours)
Compliments: 9/10
Scent: 9/10 (Would have been a 10, if the coffee note was better)
Overall: 8/10

If you like Thierry Mugler and want to try something with pepper, you will not be disappointed.

zaetown
zaetown

If you are a fan of spicy frangrances then this is for you. A blend of red pepper and spices with notes of coddee,chocolate, gingerbread cookie is what I get, but not too heavy and lite enough to wear in warmer wheather. I was gonna buy spicebomb but what I get out of this is a much better composition in my opinion.

themattsky

Oh no, this is NOTHING like Pure Havane, Not even similar! It's a totally different fragrance :)

oatcrust18
oatcrust18

One of the sexist fragrances from the Thierry Mugler line. At first spray i get a blast of liquorice that settles in the dry down with a woody coffee smell in my opinion.

iamfcon
iamfcon

I like it so far, but it's very similar to Pure Havane, at least from the first spray right out of the bottle. It is however, a bit fruitier than PH, it's as if PH and 212 VIP Men had a lovechild. The drydown is as expected from an A*Men flanker.

All in all, I still need to wear it more, it's out of season since it's still hot out, but I'm content with it. I just wish it was a bit more different than the other flankers, maybe a bit more on the spice or the sweetness, or the coffee, or all of the above.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

Chocolate and chilli pepper combined together smells about as good as it sounds; which is to say, not very. If you've ever wanted to smell like mole (the Mexican sauce, not the rodent) then look no further. Bleh, easily the worst of the A*Men flankers.

kazewayz
kazewayz

When I sniffed this I caught the coffee right away. It kind of reminded of Pure Havane. This was spicy, sweet, powdery, and also got some chocolate from this. Some liquor in there my nose smelled. I liked it. Too bad it didn't last much on my skin. Try it.

Gyallar
Gyallar

Very strange the mix of pink pepper + coffe... and there is IMO a very evident note not listed: FENNEL... this is a cologne for cold whether solely... for those who likes to try different things...

Hubajube
Hubajube

This is my favorite opening of any. If only that rich nose-tingling scent could stay longer.

saransh
saransh

Awesome stuff ,but very underrated , might be because of the extra price .

silentrich
silentrich

Great spicy fragrance. Very unique and probably not something that's going to be a daily wearer. This is something of a festive fragrance and is perfect for nights out or for occasions when you want to stand out from the crowd. One of Thierry Mugler's best and very under rated.

del
del

A Taste of Fragrance is a unique gourmand that reminds me of a hot spicy aroma that sticks to the clothes after dining in a South Asian cuisine. There’s a very brief cherry opening that lasts for about a couple of minutes then the coffee and strong spices rise. ToF is a long-lasting fragrance, veiled by spices, and it dries down to a scent that reminds me of Pure Malt.

While I understand that A Taste of Fragrance has an appeal to people who want to stand out, it is just not my style. It’s something I wouldn’t wear for myself or around others. A solid release from Mugler, nonetheless.

Scented Heathen
Scented Heathen

I am very glad I purchased this! Besides A*Men original this is my favorite cologne by TM. the Chili in this is very stimulating and pleasing.

Marciu
Marciu

I don't know why, but each time I wear it I have a feeling it has more in common with Burberry London than wih classic Thierry Mugler's A*Men...

The opening is very spicy. I really can feel the chili, however it's not listed in the notes... Then, after about 2 hours(during that time the fragrance is very dry and spicy on my skin)it's getting a lot warmer and sweeter. The chololate comes in. A lot of chocolate. It mixes with the chili, smells incredibly beautiful. It reminds me of Burberry London, but only just a little bit. At the end I get a hint of coffee added.

That's the second A*Men's flanker that I know. And I have to say that it's far better than Pure Shot, although it's completely different from PS.

Longevity is only a little bit smaller than A*Men's - about 8 hours. Sillage and projection are comparable to its "father".

I have to admit that I love it. And I regret it's only a limited edition :(

saliza313
saliza313

بوی فوق العاده ای داره. چند دقیقه اول بوی فلفلش آدمو دیوونه میکنه. بعدشم به قول دوستان بوی گلپر به وضوح حس میشه. چند دقیقه اول خیلی شبیه هاوانا هست، اما بعدش مسیرش عوض میشه. من بیشتر از هاوانا میپسندمش. اما ماندگاریش کمتر از پیور هاوانا هست.
در کل رایحه ای هست که به این زودی ها ازش خسته نمیشید.

ancad
ancad

Chic, sophisticated fragrance
chili, chocolate and vanilla create a wonderful effect
I like the from first puff
this is not just a state of spirits, decor expensive bar saturated with expensive drinks and tobacco
Mugler is a magician!

ssyed1
ssyed1

Wow - talk about a complex scent... I've been wearing this for a week now and it's been different each time. The first time I wore it, all I could think of was chili paste and dark chocolate - sensual, seductive and truly gourmand. The second time I wore it, it smelled like chili paste and pure malt. The third time I wore it, it reminded me of the waxy-sweet-pink pepper top notes of Spicebomb, and today, it smells like a delicious cup of mocha cappucino. The weird thing is, the people who've complimented me over the past week have described this scent in so many different ways i.e. my lab partner told me I smelled like starbucks, whereas another one of my friends said I smelled spicy and manly (but not like chocolate or coffee).

With that being said, I think this A*men flanker is my favorite right now (can't/won't stop sniffing myself) and I can't see myself getting bored with it like I did with Pure Malt... 9/10

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A beautiful combination of pepper, coffee with the touch of Mugler pattern, the patchouli sweet, not gourmand as well, here the pepper is the role gourmandish that has the feel of like Chilli, original, unique and delicious, fabulous!

gabripe
gabripe

Reminds Pure Malt, and initial notes SpiceBomb fragrance !
Coffee in this fragrance? Cappuccino!

Bruno2theV

I decided to take this perfume as my fragrance for reveillon/New year's eve what you prefer.
Before I sprayed it, I took a shower and used some chocolate and almond body lotion. After I sprayed it, it became a mix of chocolate and coffee (cappuccino) and I made wonders.
I never got so many compliments on how good I smelled. So here's a piece of advice, try finding a good chocolate lotion (mine is from Marionnaud)and try spraying this little guy after.

Happy 2013 everyone :)

SwagScent
SwagScent

This smells like a spicy sugar cookie. Not my favorite, but not bad.

emmanuel.santana
emmanuel.santana

This fragrance is just amazing. I love the spicy notes in the opening and the amen dry down. But a word of caution....... easy on the trigger with this bad boy. You can easily over spray this one with 3 sprays. I would say one on each side of the neck and you're good to go.

Bruno2theV

One of the best of the House of Mugler.
The opening is just espectacular, once you spray you can fell the warm of the spices coming to the edge of your skin (If you tell me, this should be the opening for Viktor & Rolf's Spicebomb)
After a couple of hours you can really smell the coffe notes which makes this perfume a favourite for the could weather.
Give a round of applause for this little guy

themattsky

The original A Men is my favorite fragrance but this one is also great. Amazing Fall/Winter scent.

vergil_s
vergil_s

یه عطر خوب و خوشبو از ماگلر!
عطر با یه نت فلفلی تند باز میشه.
بعد بوی دلپذیر قهوه هست که متاسفانه واسه من به علت همراهی با وانیل خیلی قابل تحمل نیست.
بعدش یه بوی خاصی میده که به فهمیدم بوی گلپره و یه ته مایه هایی از قهوه و وانیل.
اگه وانیل واستون ازار دهنده نیست و با فلفل میونه خوبی دارید کار خوبیه.
پخش بوش هم خوب بود.

dmoman
dmoman

New harleem, Michael Jordan Legend, Rochas man, pure coffee play intense and others are compared to each other as what is the best coffee out their but this is never mention and it should be though these all have a different scent. This one so far feels like a hot latte and the warmest of the coffee frags I've tried.

kida2010
kida2010

This has been really overlooked, after trying all the Thierry mugler line this is easily the most wearable and pleasant.
Yes it does have a blast of pepper paste but it goes and this turns into the best semi-sweet, cherry, chocolate, coffee, touch of licourice, smell ever.
Its the only one people have really complimented on at work and i think has drawn people in to smell more after a whiff.
Pure malt does its thing but if people don't know about it they really don't think much about it.
This has now been totally discontinued and the last few are selling through.
It'll be a gem in a few years to come.

zelmu
zelmu

It doesn't smell like the original A*men at all, ToF lacks the very essential caramel note, but instead there is a lot more coffee. This one, however, is much spicier and charged with a better longevity and sillage compared to the original. I think the opening is a little foody due the pepper; I can almost taste it!! The original A*men is much more smoother than this, it smells more balanced; ToF is just an explosion of spices mixed with vanilla (This fragrance should had been Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf). Also during the last hours ToF gets reaaaaally soapy and it really irritates me. Musk simply doesn't fit in the composition.

I've got a lot of compliments with this one, one girl said once that I smells like cloves and christmas.

Sillage 10/10
Longevity 9/10
Smell 8/10 (I prefer the original)

kavi
kavi

I do agree to those who say this is similar to B*Men, but I think the connection to A*Men is stronger. I'm not a fan of B*Men, I found it rank, but I do feel like THIS is what B*Men SHOULD have been.

TM's TOF is just such an amazing fragrance, It's easily one of my top 5 fragrances of all time. I regularly reach for this for nights out, whilst reaching for Pure Havane for the day. I keep pure malt on reserve for those days I want to change.

mrcontinental
mrcontinental

I agree with ArkangeL, this is much closer to B*Men than A*Men. Either way it is delicious.

Zephyro
Zephyro

If I had to describe this perfume in one word it would be "delicious".
It really lives up to the name "Taste of Fragrance" sometimes I can almost taste the pepper, it's really good.
At first the pepper note is really loud, but in the drydown it diminishes, but remains present with the usual A*Men DNA.
A very nice, beautiful scent, that has became one of my favorite fragrances.
The longevity and sillage are excellent, as you would expect from Thierry Mugler.

lucky-boy
lucky-boy

This one should be called "Pure Pepper"!!!
Oh my God! The only thing I can detect is pink pepper!
It made me sneeze two times!
It really lasts long and projects well, but I don't like the scent.
Only for super-cold winter nights...

Mosschops
Mosschops

Does anyone else get a strong (but nice) nutmeg middlenote to this one? Slightly warmer and spciy then A Men. Reminds me of late November!

This is a nice scent - but not the best guy's Mugler. My top 3 (so far) would be (1st) Pure Coffee, (2nd) Havane, and (3rd) Pure Malt. But, this one is still worth a try for it's peppery topnote!

dromidreza
dromidreza

عاشق اون اولشم که بوی فلفلش آدمو خفه میکنه.بعدش بوی قهوه اش بارزتر میشه ولی هنوز بوی فلفل هست.نمیدونم چی بگم.احساسی که ازین بو به آدم دست میده عجیب و غریبه.حتما پیش از خرید برای چند ساعت اونو تست کنین.بر خلاف نظر هم میهنمون من بوی گلپر رو احساس نکردم.بوی فلفل به وضوح احساس میشه و همون فلفله.بنظرم هاوانا و اوریجینال ازین سرتره..

foxmulder_FBI
foxmulder_FBI

A Men Taste of Fragrance starts off with a unique blast of chili pepper. It is unlike any other pepper note I've smelled. Its not harsh, like a black pepper, but I almost get a syrupy chili paste smell. From the initial spray, ToF is defined by its chili pepper note that never goes away. Backing the chili pepper note is a vanilla and coffee mix, which is where I think the syrupy feeling comes from.

While the chili note stays throughout the life of the fragrance, as time passes, the pepper becomes less pronounced and blends as the scent dries down. The dry down is similar to the opening, but instead of a coffee base, the patchouli that is in AMen and all of its flankers shines. Eventually, ToF becomes a peppery, vanilla and patchouli scent.

Despite the Amen name, ToF does not have a tar like smell. The tar is completely removed in favor of the chili pepper. While this sounds quite polarizing, I actually have not found too many people who detest this fragrance. Most people I come in contact with while wearing ToF don't seem offended, despite a chili note that sounds like it could be offensive. It is a pleasing fragrance for most, especially once the initial blast of chili settles.

In terms of longevity and projection, ToF is Mugler fragrance. Meaning, that it is very good. However, I find this to be the "weakest" of the AMen's and flankers. I easily get 8 hours out of this fragrance and good projection for the first couple. For any other fragrance, I would consider that great, but for an AMen, just average.

All in all, ToF is a very worthy AMen flanker, even without the Pure Malt or Pure Havane hype. Any fans of AMen or its flankers should not skip this one because of the lack of hype, it is a very worthy bottle to have, especially considering the reasonable price. However, you have to like the smell of chili paste...

In terms of setting, I think ToF is pretty versatile. More versatile than any other AMen. I think it is best for fall or winter, but can certainly work in the spring in summer because it does not project like the others and is much less cloying. Safe for most occasions, I would say.

al1nonly

#got it. Coffee is there, peper/chili lasts throughput the life of the fragrance. Belive it or not it is very diffrent and likeable. It lasted on my skin for about 15 hours. (Don't hate me, Pure Malt remains at the top).

Edt# Ok i like it more everyday the dry-down is great and so unique you have to love this. Pure Malt and ToF are best A*Men flankers.

al1nonly

Bought this on amazon for 79.99. Guys make sure you go there before the mugler usa site. Update once fragrance arrives.

KinG JameS
KinG JameS

When on Gods clean earth did this come out? damn... this is what happens when one are steadily distracted by outings of (no disrespect) minor flankers like Boss sport, Armani sport, David Beckham sport etc... you miss the good stuff systematically... where can one get himself some of this? I need the A*Men Pure Malt too... really bad.

Kain
Kain

Another great flanker for legendary A'Men!!
There is a unique spice note in this fragrance that make it unique and I'll talk about that later!
In the opening you can smell strong and sweet coffee and vanilla notes mixed with chilli pepper.
Very warm and spicy and at the same time sweet.
After about 10 minutes or more the sweet coffee notes is still there and the chilli paper note change to something really strage! I don't know what is the translation of this spice name in English but we call it in Persian as "Golpar"
First time when I wore it,few of my friends said : why you smell like "Golpar"?! lol
Golpar is a spicial spice that our people burn it in holy shrines and some special occasions and also we make it like powder and rarely use it in some foods!
You will have this scent to the end.
Very strange and unique smell that I really enjoy it.
Great projection and longeity just like the original A'Men.
يه عطر بسيار خاص و منحصر بفرد ديگه از خانواده عطرهاي سري اِي من
رايحه اوليه اين عطر بوي قوي و بسيار شيرين قهوه هست كه دليل اين شيريني هم وجود وانيل هست
اين رايحه شيرينُ، بوي قوي و تند فلفل قرمز همراهي ميكنه! مثل اينكه تو يه فنجون قهوه كه حسابي شيرين شده، فلفل قرمز هم بريزي و بو كني
در ادامه و حدود 10 الي 15 دقيقه بعد بوي شيرين قهوه و وانيل وجود داره و بوي فلفل قرمز تغيير ميكنه و شبيه بوي گلپر ميشه
همون گلپر كه با اسفند قاطي ميكنن و يا تو اين چهارراه ها اين چرخكي هاي باقالي فروش با نمك قاطي ميكنن تا با باقالي بخورين و حالشو ببرين!! خيلي باحال و عجيبه بوش
اگه از همچين بويي خوشتون مياد بخرين كه نمونه همچين بويي رو من تو هيچ عطر ديگه اي استشمام نكردم
پخش بو و ماندگاري بسيار عالي داره

shixiand
shixiand

The Taste of Fragrance A*Men sort of closes my whole drudgingly acquired Amen collection in a way, and it is the weakest of them all.
As I've already gotten used to, the opening notes of each Amen are a strong blow, not always a pleasant one. This time however it's a kind of a brutal attack to the sense of smell. The notes of coffee, chilli (or pepper?) and coriander are utterly unbearable at first, and this condition lasts about 20 minutes. After about half an hour the scent becomes quite decent, pleasurable even - the chilli notes are broken by delicate notes of vanilla, lavender and liquorice, although an artificial note of coffee, typical for air fresheners imitating the scent of freshly brewed coffee, is very insolent.
The Taste of Fragrance A*Men is a dead ringer on B*Men, but sharper, more blatant - I'd say, even coarse. One cannot help the impression that a few of the ingredients have been simply tossed into one kettle with no sense of proportion, no deeper thought, just to end their existence in a sweet, delicate notes of vanilla... One way or the other, however contradictive it may sound, the scent is somehow interesting, just not to me. For B*Men enthusiasts out there - a great alteration, for those bored with A*Men - a spicy alternative.

NettiB
NettiB

This is nice stuff. When I first sprayed it I thought it smelled like cherry cough syrup. The more I wore it, and the more it bounced off my skin, I realized it smells like a spicy cake in the opening (also almost like gingerbread). Once it dries down it reminds me of hot chocolate, it's really nice. I don't mind the thick pepper that is present for the first hour or two, and it seems most of the hate is because of that thick pepper in the opening. I was told I smell scrumptious by a member of the fairer sex, and I think she nailed it; it's very nice. (it was an unsolicited comment, if you ask it's not a compliment).

lalelu
lalelu

Why is this Flanker not called Pure Licorice ? Its the only note I can smell with some hints of patchoulie and vanilla mixed in. Anyone who likes anise or stuff like that should try this !!! I like it ;-)

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

On my first wearing, the opening initial blast was really powerful. The chili pepper is very cloying to me. However, at the outset, I should admit that I have not dealt much in the realm of spicy fragrances. So, what may be a lot to me, may not be a lot to someone else who has tested a lot of spicy fragrances. When I say it was cloying, I mean it was really cloying.

20 minutes in and it died down a little bit, but the chili pepper was still strong. I could notice a sweet scent mixing w/the chili pepper. I assumed chocolate, but it's something along that line. 45 minutes in and the chili pepper died down to a nicer intensity and the more familiar a*men-like notes take over.

I was trying to discern the notes on my initial first wearing and think I smelled it so much that it gave me a short round of heartburn. No kidding - it was pretty intense - and it stopped after I stopped purposely sniffing my wrists. The other notes for the first 45 minutes were just coagulated around the chili pepper.

On my second wear, I knew what to expect and the chili pepper was not as bad, but I still find it pretty strong. Maybe it's just my personal taste with spicy fragrances - who knows?. It is definitely interesting, there's no doubt about that.

I think there was some tonka bean and vanilla in the middle notes. And these smelled fine. And they smelled great with the faded chili pepper mix. I don't really get anything in the base notes. From the middle notes on I get the same thing, only the chili pepper recedes eventually.

On my first wear, the longevity didn't seem to last as long as I would have expected with the A* Men line. It wasn't incredibly short, but there was a certain expectation of how long it'd last and it didn't live up to that. Second wearing, I could see that the longevity was a bit better (I think I used a bit more on myself). But the middle notes are so light - I was surprised to see how light they were. They do smell nice, but they're not too noticeable. Bit of a surprise from how noticeable the top notes are.

All in all, I don't think I'd spend 80$ on this. I think it's a definitely interesting take on the A* Men line and I do like it somewhat, but I'm not for sure I like it for that much. Also, I am just not crazy about the first 45 minutes of LGP. If I wore this enough, I might get used to it and love it, but I don't feel like spending 80$ on that chance.

It starts off with a kind of sweet prune and raisin quality, and then in half an hour or so the hot pepper type note becomes clear. There are hints of lavender and coffee, with perhaps the barest touch of woods. I don't find this appealing, sort of like a child trying to make a unique food dish and just throwing some things together with no rhyme nor reason. So far (an hour), I don't get any syrupy sweet/heavy patchouli qualities, thankfully, but this oddball combination of notes is just not working for me. I'll update if things change substantially.

UPDATE: Not much has changed, but it has gotten weaker. The vanilla/patchouli type A*Men base is more evident, but not as strong as in the others I've tried. I still find the pepper to be unpleasant here, as it's more vegetal than spicy to me. Definitely sample this one before buying a bottle!

UPDATE #2: It seems to get weaker and weaker but it doesn't change much. That pepper note is hot but it's too vegetal, and it doesn't work here for me, though it does last a long time, for those who like it.

rmatrang
rmatrang

the taste of fragrance at this juncture smells like stright up licorice and bmen. I dont detect coffe in this at all. If this is coffe im smelling then this is the wrost coffee ever. That being said i really dotn even care for Amen or any therry mugler colognes for that matter. I do like the bottles tho. Im a big fan of creeds,dyptique,armani.

MetalMan
MetalMan

I'm going to give a brief synopsis after spending a day with it...This scent isn't infinitely complex or perplexing; it's basically chili pepper, coffee, patchouli, and cedar. It's a beautiful scent if you love these items as much as I do, otherwise, this may not be your scent! This fragrance is still of the same magnificent quality that all Mugler scents have along with the projection and longevity to boot! I'll give this one a "spicy" 8/10!

On a more personal note: It seems like Mugler is taking it easy these days...this just seems to be a mash-up of things he knows already works! All he did was add chili to his coffee/cedar mix and "BAM!" a new, expensive fragrance! I feel like I might have bought a lesser creation of the limited editions...At least it smells similar to my beloved B*Men, so I have a swapping buddy if I get tired of one or the other!

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

As an avid lover of TM frags and gourmands I have to say this one was a disappointment from top top bottom. Seriously,this stuff smells like mace,by which I mean pepper spray that one uses in self defense. I love AMEN,Pure Malt and coffee, and Havana,but this stuff,and from what I'm hearing,pure shot as well , are TM biggest flops after BMEN. Also I get very little of anything other then pepper which overpowers and manhandles all the other notes. On the other hand this fragrance could double as a self defense pepper spray if someone attacks you for smelling so God awful!

noodleman23
noodleman23

This house really gets it! The Taste of Fragrance starts off peppery but not the strong or harsh pepper you would find in Very Sexy or Bang. This pepper is smoother and a bit sweet. This combination evokes a licorice feel reminiscent to Lolita Lempicka’s Au Masculin or Body Kouros. Soon after or midway through the fragrance it starts to turns into another A*Men dessert. This dessert is bitter sweet and has a minty-herbal and slightly earthy-dark base to it (lavender & patchouli). Once all the notes find their comfort zone, the scent turns into a vanilla coffee treat, and this is where you find yourself in the infamous A*Men gourmand dry-down. The Taste of Fragrance definitely has the DNA of the A*Men collection but this one is different as it stays close to the skin… and that’s ok! Because it will work great in complimenting the other A*Men.

*Longevity: 8-10 hours.
*Projection: stays close to the skin.
*Silage: scent will follow/ not a noticeable trail.
*Versatility: cooler days & nights and a ‘spritz’ on a breezy summer night is going to be AWESOME !
*Occasion: Any... casual/formal, and anything in between.

A*men has done it again folks and this time it’s somewhat discreet and equally impressing. The A*Men saga continues...and when is this Pure Shot coming out !?

trixx
trixx

For me this is another masterpiece.
I'm not shocked by it's longevity, but the smell, the smell i love it.
I'm not very good at describing perfumes, but i feel this is ... eatable. It is great, sensual and girls love it. Belive me i asked.
It's not shocking like the original Amen. It worths a shot.

Buysblind
Buysblind

This is actually a great A*Men flanker and due to the popularity of Pure Malt and Pure Havane, I believe it is somewhat overlooked. The Taste of Fragrance is not as aggressive as A*Men (it lacks the tar note and the patchouli is turned way down) and it's not as sweet as Pure Malt. Nevertheless, it does its job very well.

What you get is a strong coffee and chili pepper combination in the opening that sweetens over time as the vanilla and tonka start to kick in. The patchouli plays the background, never making much of a scene, though its presence is felt. As the chili pepper gradually fades you're left with something of a cafe-mocha/vanilla-latte vibe.

Longevity is anywhere from 8 to 12 hours and the projection is good--solid but not overpowering or cloying.

I would consider this my favorite in the A*Men line just after Pure Malt and just in front of the Original. It's definitely worth looking into if you are considering an A*Men option or looking for a unique, quality coffee-based scent.

Edit: By the way, this smells EXCELLENT on clothing. I threw on a shirt a few days after I had worn this and was shocked at how great it smelled.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Arabica coffee beans consumed by ground chilli peppers and seeds of anise. Freshly brewed into a flask of masculinity. Monin vanilla syrup seeps in, hitting the base of the bottle, glazing the patchouli and mint leaves. Followed by a rich brulee creme poured upon the horizon of notes. I can practically see the ingredients floating behind the fierce-red star. Could this be the alter-ego of B*Men?

Sultan
Sultan

Oh God! today i saw this at the store. i've tried it on my skin. amazing!!! sensual!!! sexual!!! seductive and so adorable! why TM changed the formula towards gourmand direction? I ca't stand it! Every new Angel for men is a new love for me. but this one is different. I was looking hard to find myself a real gourmand perfume for me. Jeux de peau or Musc maori style is nice, but not completely what I was looking for and desire. This is the one! The one and only! perfect for winter, perfect for Xmas and NY time. thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm so grateful!

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I tried a couple of fragrances on both arms today and The Taste of Fragrance A*Men Thierry Mugler kept wafting up at me as I had lunch with friends (the other was Van Cleef Midnight In Paris). As a huge fan of A*MEN, I was curious with this one as only Pure Coffee is the other flanker that I truly get on with. This to me smells like Pure Coffee briefly before this creamy pepper comes to the front with the vanilla. Wow, the sillage and projection on this is huge. Stunning woody, coffee, creamy vanilla with the pepper. I returned to the store and bought it right after lunch. That evening my dad asked me what I was wearing as he likes his fragrances too, He sprayed it on and loves it too. I will definately get myself another if it is still at the store next month. 10/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

just rub some coffee beans on your neck, make sure they're fresh roasted so the oils are still present. Look, you just saved yourself like $50. A*mazing. Seriously, if you like gourmand fragrances and want to smell like coffee, go for it. Longevity is good and it is strong. If you're over 20 you probably want to skip this weird stuff. Coffee, sweet, vanilla, pepper. Weird

Deetron
Deetron

When Thierry Mugler announced “The Taste of Fragrance” I was very curious what new we can find in another A*Men limited edition... I’ve made a test, so I can say – this is another original TM oriental scent and a true masterpiece.

The start is VERY strong – I was a little bit shocked, but later it became more pleasant and smooth. The real pleasure is drydown – creamy, spicy, warm…Yes, there are some similarities with Pure Malt, Pure Havana and the original- A*Men, but at the same time it is a little bit different. “The Taste of Fragrance” is spicier, manlier.
I can sense coffee as well.

I love that Red A*men because it is a gourmand scent like Pure Malt, Pure Havana or A*Men, but on my skin “The Taste of Fragrance” is the most serious and dark scent of all limited editions - not so unisex, not so sweet, not so delicious and carefree.

On my skin, that pepper A*Man is closer to Pure Malt.
About longevity, projection and silage - longevity is similar to the other limited editions – more than 7 hours. Projection – excellent! Silage-exellent.

Final words - “The Taste of Fragrance” is pure perfection! It has everything to make a man feel comfortable, modern, sexy, and the same time - serious and chic.

Well done Thierry Mugler!

MrWarEagle93
MrWarEagle93

It was a blind swap for me. Upon first applying, I am brought back to my childhood years when cayenne pepper was placed on my tongue to punish my smart mouth. To me, the scent is linear for about two hours with a strong, red-chili-paste spiciness. Afterwards, in the drydown, I am reminded of...general chicken! Yes, the chinese dish. I smell the sweetness of the honey glaze but simultaneously taste the pepper kernels that are sprinkled on top! At this point, it is laid back and much more smooth than at the start of its life. Two sprays max. Lasts 6+ hours with great projectioin the first 3-4, and my skin EATS fragrances, so that is outstanding!

I love it!

P.S. My nose may not be sophisticated enough, but I do not detect any coffee.

bp

This scent is absolutely excellent.
I could not believe when I tested the first time.
It is certainly one of the best fragrances of 2011.
I find it quite different from the original. Still not sure if I prefer this or the original. This is more usable. The original is much stronger and unique.
I'm really impressed. Despite being eagerly waiting for an entirely new fragrance by Thierry Mugler, I can assure you that this is very innovative compared to other perfumes of this brand.
Pepper is undoubtedly the strength of this perfume, which I love.

Take this opportunity to also mention that I had the opportunity to test this whole range of perfumes "The taste of fragrance" (including women's perfumes), and I can assure you that these scents are divine and excellent in every way.

Excellent Thierry Mugler.

tuky
tuky

SOOOOOO SPICYYYY .
It smells like an arabic shop with ALL SPICES from Orietal World.
VERY VERY STRONG when I put my nose to paper, but I tried to keep a distance like 1 ft. between paper and nose while the wind was blowing...and A*man The Tase was another world from Thierry Mugler.

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

I tried it and I like liked it a whole lot--even better than the original A-Men. However, wearing it I somewhat get the feeling I've been here before with Mr. Mugler. I wish he'd come out with something entirely new for men, like Alien or Innocent was for women. Overall, I'd give this scent a honest 8/10 all around.

jakobi3000
jakobi3000

Just tried this today in Nordstroms and its great! For one, i've heard of chili used in chocolate desserts and its supposed to bring out the chocolate flavor and so it did with this cologne. All the deliciousness of the original A*Men with a spicy bottom and a boost of robust coffee flavor brought to the foreground! YUM :)

ArtisticElf
ArtisticElf

This A*men flanker is very unique just like the rest of them. Although it's not the best in his flankers line, it gets an A for originality. There's not to many chili notes in fragrances, so you will deffinetly stand out with this one. As with the rest of the A*men flankers this gets great silage and longevity. I think this is deffinetly good for cold weather unlike most people, because the summer is hot enough without smelling like a chili pepper lol.

Nordstrom now has this available. In my opinion, it's all about chili powder at the beginning. It's kinda strange because it has no spicy heat; much like a chili-making seasoning. About a couple of hours later, it settles down a bit and I begin to smell peppery woody accord. Then the original sweet patchouli of A*Men slowly appears as the chili powder goes away. That's all to it. A*Men is still a unique scent and it's not for everybody (not for me either). Must try before you buy!!!

frangrancejunky
frangrancejunky

To me is has the same opening as Pure Malt and Pure havane, but I would say closer to the former. Nothing original as we used to see from this house, however, I must admit, it's a good smell. I believe Thierry Mugler reached the climax of his creativity or his muse has quitted him.

Anup
Anup

I have always been in love with Thierry Muglers gourmand fragrances. Which as we all know a gourmand fragrance is a scent that seems it can be consumed. This time however, Mr.Mugler has not only made the fragrance less delicious and sweet, but at the same time he has made the "flavor" that of something one can find in or on a plate of food. The ground pimento chili paste added to A*men completely changes the entire feel of the fragrance and i'll admit, I didn't like it at first.

We're all grown adults here, so i ask this question. Have any of you ever been to an Indian persons house? If so, then you know exactly of the scent i am trying to pull from your memory. Coffee and chilies, beautiful and earthy, spicy and dry. If you're looking for the sweetness from A*men, look to one of the other flankers, this one is DRY baby!

I have this odd feeling that this fragrance wasn't ment to last more than a few hours. Rather it was to be used only for examination and appreciation.

CDGfan
CDGfan

I tried this , and well it does have a chili note . I preferred the Whiskey version from last year.

Senzadite
Senzadite

I insist...we need a new one Mr. Mugler.

I love the original.
It seems to me that this is even better.
I want one.

Akahina
Akahina

I have to tell you that I almost always contemplate buying a perfume and test it several times before I make a buy. This one is the exception to the rule for me. I visited Nordstrom's a few days ago and saw this limited edition on the shelf and quickly sprayed a sample on a card. I was impressed at the first sniff. The SA approached me and throughout the conversation (where she tried to sell me other things) she told me it was a limited edition and they only got 6 bottles, all still on the shelf. I asked for a sample so I could wear it that night, got my sample and left. For the next half hour I was smelling the card and kept getting more impressed with this unique fragrance. After a few minutes the pepper really came to the front! I quickly went back and bought a full bottle. In the half hour or so while I was walking around one of the six bottles was sold, I bought the second.

On the skin this one performs just a little bit differently for me. The initial blast presents mostly a nice lavender with mint with a touch of bergamot and coriander. It does not take too long for the pepper to come to the front, very noticeable and well blended, yet not as strong for me as when I smelled this fragrance on paper. The slight citrus/bergamot smell is soon overwhelmed by the pepper (which to me smells more like freshly ground black pepper than chili pepper) and a vanilla and/or tonka bean smell is added to the chorus. Soon thereafter I get the smell of cacao which must be a combination of coffee and vanilla, maybe with some musk based on the notes listed.

Throughout this fragrance's life I get pepper at every stage except for maybe the first minute or two. Pepper with vanilla and coffee. And I can't help but think of cacao or dark chocolate with hot pepper, something that the Mayans used together. Chocolate and hot pepper is a favorite food combination of mine...the Mayans knew how to use cacao and pepper so this combination seems like a natural for a perfume. Needless to say, I love this combination. (A good friend makes habanero fudge every Christmas and it is my favorite holiday treat.)

I always have a problem determining how long a fragrance lasts and how it projects to other people. I tend to get fragrance fatigue and don't smell what I am wearing after a couple of hours and have to rely on others to tell me. But it seems to last several hours for my nose and I would guess this lasts at least 5-6 hours for me, maybe more. I will have to ask others and report back.

This one is an unique gourmand with so much pepper, coffee and vanilla. Definitely in my rotation for the cooler months. I love it! A limited edition so if you like it and want it, get it while it is available.

UPDATE: On drydown the pepper goes way to the back (but is still there if you search for it) and it ends with a nice, close to the skin cedar accord.

The Taste of Fragrance A*Men by Thierry Mugler 4.06 out of 5 based on 384 ratings and 81 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Thierry Mugler The Taste of Fragrance A*Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Thierry Mugler The Taste of Fragrance A*Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify The Taste of Fragrance A*Men by Thierry Mugler. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of The Taste of Fragrance A*Men by Thierry Mugler represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.