Designers » T-Z » Oriental « Groups

dislike

smoky
Amber Absolute Tom Ford for women and men Pictures Amber Absolute Tom Ford for women and men Pictures Amber Absolute Tom Ford for women and men Pictures

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Amber Absolute was launched in 2007. The fragrance features amber, incense, vanilla, olibanum, labdanum and woody notes.

Amber Incense Vanilla Olibanum Labdanum Woody Notes

Ambre Sultan
Ryder
Ottoman Amber

Amber Absolute Fragrance Reviews

Blowfishes
Blowfishes

If anyone has a 50ml empty box for Amber Absolute that they'd be willing to part with then please message me.

I'm UK based.

Michael1962
Michael1962

After reading fables about the immortal Amber Absolute I was fortunate to get my hands on this rare gem.
Most re releases of popular Tom Fords don't make it here to Australia so I counted my blessings when I saw it available.
I've been after a full bodied robust amber of this quality for quite some time after acquiring Hermes Ambre Narguile ( very sweet and syrupy with a honey/cinnamon note) and Dior's Ambre Nuit (dominated by rose and pepper which drowns out the zephyr of amber in my opinion,still high quality nevertheless but not what I was truly looking for)
I was also dancing around Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan but didn't pull the trigger on that one and so glad I didn't.
When you first spray Amber Absolute the incense is immediately evident and a pungent medicinal vibe from the labdanum and myrrh fills up your nostrils.Its intoxicating and quite full on in those initial stages.
The opening stanza reminds me of the incense note from Tom Ford Bois Marocain.
Amber is still there but not quite taking centre stage.
The amber appears to grow in intensity the longer its on my skin and the smooth vanilla,which is not overly sickly sweet, blends nicely during the mid to drydown stages.
The rough edges are smoothed out at this point too,becoming less medicinal but still intoxicating.
Longevity is a respectable 8 hours,by that stage its a smooth wafty vanilla and amber skin scent with a twist.
I wouldn't say Amber Absolute is a particularly alluring scent but I don't think that it is meant to be either.
Its more a statement perfume and definitely not one for the faint hearted as its quite loud and proud.This is one of those fragrances you wear for yourself.It has that cosying feel to it after the initial onslaught.
Most definitely a autumn/winter evening fragrance and I can't wait to wear it as the evenings start to cool.
Thanks for bringing this one back Tom as a first time AA believer.

fsulka
fsulka

I put a small quantity on my neck and both wrists. It has been going strong for hours. This is potent juice on my skin. I quite like the richness of this fragrance. It has a greasy, frankincense, beautiful amber smell. This fragrance smells high quality and it is.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend this. I picked up a small decant and may increase the decant size next time around.

lilalina
lilalina

I love Amber and this is a gorgeous sweet scent. Comparing to Ambra Aurea this has more spices to it like Ambre Sultan— it's similar to the latter yet I find this more soft and refined

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I love Tom Ford fragrances and I have more than a few, but this one is not my favorite. It has a dusty, dry and heavy feel. Smells somewhat dirty, and not in an interesting or sexy way. Reminds of the old school fragrances like Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta. This is not a good blind buy...try it first.

matty64

I'm just curious about how the 2007 version compares with the 2015 version. I have the newest release version and it is very good, like a warm, cozy, cashmere sweater.

Calvini
Calvini

Shortly after I got into niche perfumery I discovered Ambre Sultan, but I found the opening a little hard to stomach, and I wanted something smokier and less sweet, so I was excited to learn that there was a supposed amber powerhouse that resembles AS, except it was discontinued.

After all the hype, fans and I rejoiced when Amber Absolute came back; I finally got to try it! Unfortunately it did not meet my expectations; as many stated, this is not the same as the original (either due to ingredients or reformulation).
Initially it resembles Tobacco Oud much more, yet inferior to both TO and AS, mainly because the anticipated amber "power punch" only lasts ~5 min, then turns into a slightly dusty trail with very low silage.. Little did I know, MAGIC would happen when my skin warms up :o
I gave it another try some day later and had to wear a jacket because of the weather, and as soon as I took it off, my arm RADIATED with sweet resinous (almost chocolately) concussion; this is when I finally understood the comparison to AS, just a little less sweet, warm, and feminine, but sprinkled with light smoke, dust, and masculinity! Now I don't know which one I like better!

*However, I DON'T think Tobacco Oud is a failed attempt to recreate AA; it has a darker, more complex & aromatic opening and are different in drydown.

Gandhi76
Gandhi76

Absolutely beautiful fragrance. It's dry, rich, warm and smokey/incense with a sweet undertone. My dad said it smells of 'hippy sandalwood' which must be his way of describing incense. This is my favourite fragrance in my collection so far

nordhaul
nordhaul

DIVINE!!!
...Peace...

master81
master81

This perfume is back in production,i saw it at 2 websites

matty64

I was pleasantly surprised by this perfume, it has an almost haunting quality to it. I will have to revisit this later on to see if it's fbw.

lennard904
lennard904

So what to say, this is the sent that introduced me to the TOM FORD house of fragrances. I have been wearing this sent since 2008 and as a matter of fact my decanter has a serial number of A67 (June 2007). I sprayed it on a piece of paper in Neiman Marcus (Las Vegas) while searching for a Robert Talbot Seven fold tie. I thought it was repulsive along with Purple Patchouli and left the paper in the car. When I returned to my car about an hour later there was this wonderful incense and amber sent that filled my car. Right then I went back and bought the decanter!
For the last 7 years it has been a real journey trying to conserve the only bottle I had. I found that it is best during the winter months but will work during the summer when layered with Mandarino Di Amalfi. One spray is all you need because it is as extremely powerful juice. I still have 60% of the decant left to illustrate how little is needed. The hang time on this fragrance is unreal, I have under shirts that I have washed and the sent is still detectable! I have gone 18 hours and the fragrance was still going strong on my skin. While I have several others bottles from the house AA is by far my favorite with Plum Japonais a close second. Plum Japonais (PJ) is much more versatile that AA! AA is in your face fragrance screaming “you will love me” if not I really don’t give a *hit because I’m just that bad *ss, while PJ is just beautiful and seductive fragrance. When AA was released again earlier this year I bought 2 extra decanters on the spot! PS there is no discernible difference between the new and old fragrances. Tobacco oud does have a similar base (incense in particular) to my nose minus the tobacco note so I can see how it may have been made to replace AA. This fragrance is a beast and worth every penny!!!!! This fragrance does remind me of Christmas and like Lavender Palm (being LA in a bottle) I feel this is defiantly Christmas in a bottle :-)

Update 3/15/16: So I've had the new and old versions for a little while and there indeed is a small difference between them. It's very subtle (and it could be the aging process of the old one), not bad but subtle. The new version is a little more wearable and a little less in your face. I only noticed the difference when i had both bottles sitting next to each other. Both are still worth every penny!

kcurtin90
kcurtin90

I smelled this at Bergdorf Goodman(NYC) a few months ago. It was still technically the summer season so I knew this would not work for me at that time. I heard it was a great scent and heavy but I did not know exactly how it smelled. I was talking to the Tom Ford sales rep and mentioned this fragrance being discontinued and was upset Italian Cypress was being discontinued. She lit up with joy and pulled out a small sprayer bottle and said that the Nieman Marcus brand was the only company in the US to get the scent. I smelled it and immediately thought of Christmas. The scents in the air of sweetness in stores from colognes. Baked goods. Anything sweet and delicious. I fell in love and knew I needed to own it. I have worn it from Thanksgiving Day until New Years Day and then it is back in the cooler until next year. I need to preserve this as long as possible since it is now discontinued again from what I was told.

becuille
becuille

For me, this is a perfume of two halves, the first half being amber and the second half being incense.

Unfortunately, I find both of those halves to be a little too extreme. It opens as an incredibly sweet, syrupy amber. The vanilla is strong. At first, it felt warming, comforting and all round lovely, but after a while, I started to sicken of it, much like eating too much of a gorgeous dessert. If there's such a thing as too resinous in an amber, that's what this is for me.

The second half sees the amber fade somewhat and the sweetness is replaced by strong incense. If you're an incense lover, this will be right up your street, but for my personal tastes, I only enjoy incense when it's fairly restrained. Here, it catches at the back of my throat and slightly itches at my nose. It is unashamedly smoky and heady.

It's a powerhouse, that's for sure. I'd advise spraying very lightly. Too in-your-face for me, but obviously well loved by many.

Strong sillage, 8 hours longevity.

BeOrtega
BeOrtega

my love for this house is out of control i personally own a few of the private scents exclusively so you know im a tom ford fan boy lol but im defiantly not a fan of this scent :(

it opens with a almost sweet blast of amber thanks to the vanilla followed by smoke and incense which is where this scent begins to turn for me

the smoke and incense is very dominant and some would even say harsh but like the yin (amber sweetness) and the yang (smokey incense) it helps balance this out even tho i would have been ok with just the yin ;P

if i had to compare this to anything else id say tobacco oud which i happen to personally find easier to wear

anything past 2 or 3 sprays and thats me being nice would clear a room as it seems to always be firing on all cylinders which makes this one hard to wear (projection is beast mode)

if this was used as a room spray (expensive room spray) or blended into a candle it would get more love from me but i can defiantly still appreciate the artistry behind this

in my humble opinion even tho you can get a similar experience from Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan at a fraction of the price it simply doesn't compare in quality so if your in the market for something along those lines make sure you stop and test this one

on to the next

gedlive
gedlive

Amber Absolute epitomizes what " Private Blends" are all about. To be able to make something bold and beutifull, even if it's not going to be popular to the main stream. I'm glad to have an original formulation, it's crude, raw and rugged Amber.
The new version is 95% same, but just a bit more refined.

I recently discovered Ambre Sultan and its become one of my top 2 fragrances, so I wanted to get the dady of Ambers. I like Ambre Sultan better, its lighter, fresher, more complex, versatile. But this is very similar, my favorite Tom Ford and more wearable for me than Tobaco Vanela or Oud Wood. My second fav is the beutifull, masculine, " Italian Cypress". Amber Absolute and Italian Cypress are the two most masculine of the TF Private Blends. I read that AA Amber is Labdanum heavy which gives it a dark, strong, masculine edge, whereas Ambre Sultan, has a more pure, softer, sweeter Amber.

Some further comparisons to Lutens Ambre Sultan. The openings are most different, the mid to dry downs are very close. So I'm one of those who likes the herbal medicinal opening of AS, it's fresh and unusually niche. For me the opening of Amber Absolute is a bit unpleasant, maybe I need some more time to discover it. And of course I like the Extreem longevity of AA. Ambre Sultan has very good longevity also, for an edp, mine is 2014 batch.
There are other balsamic Orientals that blend Oud with this, like M-7, but I like the dark, syrupy, cognac, resinous, smell of this beutifull Amber by itself, with only light nuances, embelishments of Vanela, Frakinsense, and woods.

Especially the opening, and the scent in general is a bit dirty, grimmy, raw and rugged. This ads to the appeal for me, some fragrances are to perfect and can be boring for that matter. This is a rugged modernday powerhouse fragrance, yeah !
In the late drydown I get a fresh crisp cedar note that reminds me of pencil shavings, It's a nice contrast to the heavier heart accord of AA.

It is nice just to watch this one evolve with your nose, the richness of certain facets ebing and flowing. It starts out with all guns blazing, then settles. It is very meditative, but not wierd and unfamiliar like Oud is for me at times, but there is a sobering realistic beauty in the pure Amber scent.
Then this cool silver smoke emerges from the dark Amber, slightly cooling, mentholated smoke, with a slight herbal freshness, quite nice realy.

Jesus is referred to in the Bible as the Rose of Sharon, the Rock rose bush from which Amber/ Labdanum is made.
Moses was told by God to make a holy incence for the Temple worship. I believe it was comprised of 4 Balsams, Labdanum, Galbanum, and I'm not sure of the other two, maybe Frakinsense and Myrrh.
The Holy incence used by Moses and the Jews was to help them worship God. I heard the bitter Galbanum was to remind them of how their sin smelled to God...
I think Amber Absolute simply reminds me of the beauty of God's creation. And that speaks to us about who He is, in part.

Rating: 9.5/10

Merry Christmas. John 3:16

MoonSparrow
MoonSparrow

This the ONLY amber fragrance I've tried that I like, and it is more than like; it is love. I loathed SL's Amber fragrance because of the unbearably medicinal stench. I've tried countless others but none can hold a candle to this.

I am reminded of the crisp, resinous aroma of fallen leaves in autumn with a bit of smoke from a distant fire wafting through the treetops. This is quite the powerhouse; just two or three spritzes and it lasts all day and into the deep night. While there is a bare hint of something medicinal, it mellows out finely on my skin to a rich, warm somewhat animalic and completely true amber.

There is a shot of booze here as well; a high-end cognac served up. I would wear this at a gentleman's club, sitting next to a roaring fireplace with pipe smoke swirling about.

I have found it layers beautifully with TF Santal Blush as well as Olympic Orchids Woodcut. Santal Blush to me is a bit bland on its own but morphs into the most lovely autumn fragrance once Amber Absolute is introduced. Woodcut gives it that burning leaves smell so if you love a smoky aspect to your fragrances (and I do) then give it a try.

I bought the 50ml at Neiman Marcus and expect it will last me at least a year if not longer. Hardly needs reapplication! I am not sure about sillage; I have yet to receive any comments from anyone while wearing this.

alxkwst1996
alxkwst1996

Mmmmmm. This fragrance smells so good! I feel really confident when I'm wearing Amber Absolute. Another masterpiece from the house of Tom Ford, right along with Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather.

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

THE BEST AMBER SCENT IN MY COLLECTION. PERIOD.

I've tried all the fragrances that this reminds everyone of on here and amber sultan is probably the only one that is even close but is still not near this perfectly balanced gem. The longevity and projection is way better and the smell is so intoxicating. Worth $200 for 50ml even though I'm not excited about that part but when sampling other scents in the amber categories, you see you get what you pay for here. Outstanding quality with no corners cut. How often does a house bring back a discontinued scent? They don't do that unless it's in high demand or for a good reason because it's not often.Perfection.

blueeyeblond
blueeyeblond

Christophe Laudamiel created Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude in 2005. Two years later in 2007, Tom Ford came out with Amber Absolute under his Private Blend line, which also created by the same perfumer. Since then YDAN discontinued, so did Amber Absolute. Tom Ford has brought Amber Absolute back, and who knows for how long. To me YDAN and Amber Absolute smell almost identical. They have pretty much the same DNA, with YDAN being a fraction of the price.

colombianscents
colombianscents

Did not have the opportunity of sampling the old formula but many reviewers have said this is the same formula. Currently I own a decant of this and will be buying a bottle soon before it is out of stock. This is one of the most beautiful ambers that i have encountered. usually amber scents tend to be powdery on my skin, but AA is simply stunning. At the opening, you get the amber note which is very balmy and resinous. When it dries down, you get more of the incense and vanilla, its a beautiful blend between all the elements. Bottle worthy for sure and will be worn a lot this coming fall and winter !! Will be getting the decanter so if you are interested in some juice PM me !!

Mokokos
Mokokos

Uh, oh. I was excited when I heard it was being released again. I have just about 2 mls left from the original. I have sprayed the new one 4 times on different days from Neiman Marcus and the result is still the same to me. It is watered down, the strength is not there. It was a great fragrance that you had to use sparingly when you went out in public. Not this one, it is pleasant enough but it is a lighter, smoky amber with a tiny bit more vanilla overtone to it. If you have never smelled it before you may very well like it, but those of you who remember the original version will be a little disappointed. I still have not bought a bottle, I'm on the fence with it.

جَاءَتْ مُعَذِّبَتِي فِي غَيْهَبِ الغَسَقِ

كَأنَّهَا الكَوْكَبُ الدُرِيُّ فِي الأُفُقِ

فَقُلْتُ نَوَّرْتِنِي يَا خَيْرَ زَائِرَةٍ

أمَا خَشِيتِ مِنَ الحُرَّاسِ فِي الطُّرُقِ

فَجَاوَبَتْنِي وَ دَمْعُ العَيْنِ يَسْبِقُهَا

مَنْ يَرْكَبُ البَحْرَ لا يَخْشَى مِنَ الغَرَقِ
قَبَلْتُها قَبَلَتْنِي و هي قَائِلةٌ
قَبَلْتُ خَدِي فَلا تَبْخَلْ على عُنُقِي
قطعاً لم تغنِ السيدة فيروز البيت الأخير� لكن غنته زجاجة ( العنبر المطلق) تحفة توم فور المعاد انتاجها حديثاً بعد توقف دام لسنوات.
عطر حسّيٌّ إلي أبعد الحدود. إغوائي إلي نهاية المدي. الفتنة المجردة. فلا تعرف تريد أن ترتديه فتشعر بها بين أحضانك أم تريد أن تكون بين أحضانها و هي ترتديه. إنه تجسيد عبقري لفكرة (unisex) أو العطر الموجه للجنسين .
إن حالفك الحظ في هواء الإسكندرية في سويعات الليل الأولي فاعلم أنه أوان اكتمال الحلم.
هو العنبر دون شك و بشكل مطلق كما اعتدنا عطور توم فورد . فهو لا يريد أن تتنازعك النوتات أو يختلط عليك روائح أخرى . لذلك سخّر و بشكلٍ بارع باقى المكونات لخدمة هذا العنبر و إخراجه على أكمل وجه . النزعة الأنيمالك للعنبر واضحة و جلية لكنها محببة للنفس جداً على عكس ما كنت أخشي .
اللبان .. ( نسميه عندنا لبان الدكر ) سحر الماضي و عبق التاريخ . أثناء بحثي عنه عرفت أنه يرجع إلى خمسة ألاف سنة أو يزيد و كان قدماء المصريون يجلبونه من بلاد بونط ( تشمل جزء من اليمن و من جيبوتى و إريتريا و الصومال ) لتزيين جدران المعابد و استخدمه اليهود للطقوس الدينية . إذن هو بخور قوى و نفاذ للغاية و رائحته روحانية و مؤثرة . ليكن صديقاً مخلصاً و ناكراً للذات في حضرة العنبر فيحمله على كتفيه في صمت و يخرج به إلى حيز الفوحان المبهر .
و لذات السبب دخل في هذه الرحلة اللابدانوم و هو بلسم راتينجي كان قديماً يُجمع من لحى و فرو الماعز و الخراف التي ترعى في حقول زهر اللابدانوم و الشروب و كان موطنه الأول مصر و فلسطين و استخدمه قدماء المصريين و اليهود كبخور و لعلاج البرد و بعض الأمراض وتكهن "بيرسي نيوبيري" وهو متخصص في مصر القديمة، أن اللحية المستعارة التي يرتديها أوزوريس والفراعنة قد يكون في الأصل يمثل "لحية الماعز المحملة باللابدانوم ". جادل أيضا أن صولجان أوزوريس كان غالباً أداة لجمع اللابدانوم . و ذُكر في العهد القديم من التوراة كمكون من مكونات البخور المقدس . ليكون المسئول الثاني في رحلة الفوحان الدائم .
الفانيلا و من منا لا يعرفها و لا تذوقها و لا يعشق رائحتها في كل أوان . إنها اكتشاف الهنود في أمريكا الوسطى و التي عرفت في ذلك الحين مع الكاكاو فشكلت عشقاً لكل الجرومانديين على مر العصور ( و الجروماندى و تلك أيضاً معلومة جديدة لى هو الشخص المتأنق في الطعام و المستمتع به و غالباً ما يكون أكولاً . و أنا هنا لا أقصد نفسي فليس من مجال لذلك ..لا سمح الله – و لكن تأثير الفانيلا على عطرنا هذا واضح في كسر حدة البخورين و طبيعة العنبر الحيواني إلى بعض السكرية و الدفء الظاهر .
العطر ساحر و خلاب و حسي و يشبه إلى حدٍ كبير عطر عنبر سلطان لسيرجي لوتان لكن بعنف أشد و نافذية أقوى . اقتني منه عبوة ال 250 مل إن استطعت فإنك لن تندم مطلقاً .

Amber Absolute Tom Ford for women and men
My Tormentor came in the darkness dusk
Shinny like planet on the horizon
I said oh good visiting sweetheart
But I was afraid of the guards on the roads
She answered while tears was preceded
The one who ride the sea
Never be afraid of sinking
I kissed her . she kissed me
Then she said
You kissed my Cheek
Please kiss my Neck
Fairouz definitely not singed the last words but the bottle (absolute Amber) Tom masterpiece as soon as the newly re-production after a hiatus for years Singed that.
Sensual fragrance to the fullest. Solicitation to the end of the term. Pure seduction. You couldn’t know that you feel worn out between her arms or want to be among her bosom and she worn. It is the embodiment of the idea of genius (unisex).
The good fortune if you are in Alexandria in the air a few hours the first night, know that it is time the dream is complete.
Amber is without a doubt and absolutely as we used Tom Ford perfume. He does not want to Confuses you with other notes or mixed with others . So ridiculed skillfully remaining ingredients to serve this amber and take it out to the fullest. animalic that’s very clear , but too grainy for the same on the opposite of what I was afraid. Frankincense past fragrant charm and history. During my research I knew that Frankincense has been traded on the Arabian Peninsula and in North Africa for more than 5000 years. A mural depicting sacks of frankincense traded from the Land of Punt adorns the walls of the temple of ancient Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut, who died circa 1458 BC. (include part of Yemen and Djibouti and Eritrea and Somalia) to decorate the walls of temples and used by Jewish religious ritual. So is the incense and the forces of force and smelled very spiritual and poignant. Let there be a sincere friend and ungrateful for the same in the presence of amber caring on his shoulders in silence and comes out into excellent Sillage .
And for the same reason entered on this trip Labdanum
and labdanum was collected by combing the beards and thighs of goats and sheep that had grazed on the cistus shrubs and was the first native to Egypt, Palestine, used by the ancient Egyptians and Jews Incense and for the treatment of cold and some diseases . "Percy Newberry" a specialist in ancient Egypt predicted, that the false beard worn by Osiris and pharaohs may have originally represented a "ladanum-laden goat's beard". He also argued that the scepter of Osiris, which is usually interpreted as either a flail or a flabellum. And it mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible as a component of holy incense components. To be second in charge at the Permanent Sillage trip.
Vanilla and no one don’t know its smell or taste and smell is enamored at all times. known long ago to Indians of Middle America, came to, together with cocoa and other until then unknown fruits of the New World, win hearts of gourmands around the world since the discovery of America (and gourmand and those also new information to me is a person who enjoys eating and often eats too much. And I'm here do not mean myself It is not time for that - but the impact on the Vanilla here This is a clear break in the unity of nature and animal amber to some sweety warmth and apparent.
Fragrance enchanting and bewitching and sensual and very much like perfume Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens for women but most violently and stronger. Buy a package of it the 250 ml if you can, you will not regret at all.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a sample. This to my nose, smells almost identical to Ambre Sultan (minus the kitchen spice). Have not tried the original Amber Absolute but performance of the new one is similar to Ambre Sultan with moderate projection and good longevity.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

I have the new and finished the old long ago.
I can honestly say they are exactly the same.
Any doubts about whether or not there is a new formula can be extinguished - I spoke with TF Cosmetics on their 800 number and was told that the formula is exactly the same, despite the speculation.
Amber and Incense powerhouse through and through.

This is what Tom Ford is ALL ABOUT!

seekritdude
seekritdude

Never smelled the original so I can only assume this has been reformulated as I got about 2-3 hours of projection and then after that it sits fairly close. Certainly not some huge bomb of a fragrance that can clear a room like legends say... But maybe thats for the better, for what I spray it performs well I thought.

Whatever the case this one strangely smelled better on skin than paper. When ive tried this on paper its much more harsh, and I can see a bit the tobacco oud comparisons that happen. However on my skin its not anywhere near as harsh and its more along the lines of something like kilians amber aoud id say.

While its projecting certainly there is some stank to it, but its pretty wearable ive found when I tried it out. For me personally durning this portion its one of those, i liked getting wiffs of it here and there, but to much at one time, turned me off. So its a bit of a fight, but again thats probably just me personally since im one of those that thinks oud is a little stanky. But certainly its still a nice smell.

As it dries down the stank dies down and more of this candy sorta amber with some creamyness is there. I liked this a fair amount. Again ill compare it to a sorta mix of kilians amber aoud, and just a bit of tobacco aoud. I dont see the amber sultan comparisons myself.. Thats a some what stanky fragrance but just because of the spiceys, and herbal kick to it. And its also fairly powdery.. I dont really care for that one.

Anyway its hard to justify the price for me, I think if I had a disposable income I might pick up a decant. A little hard to see myself buying a full bottle beacause again for me the first few hours I can not fully enjoy, its kinda a I like it, wait I dont like it as much, wait I like it... maybe not so much... vicious circle.

Anyway again for this reforumlted version if you like kilians amber aoud check this one out.

rprovenz
rprovenz

Finally got my nose on it after all the hype. Smells good, not great. For the money I'd get Tuscan leather or tobacco Vanille.

Bbjr
Bbjr

Tested today at Neiman Marcus, they had a display bottle but none for sale yet. I find the drydown to be almost identical to Lutens AS, maybe a bit smoother. I sprayed on the back of my hand 5 hours ago and it's still going strong even after a wash. As previous reviewer stated, it's pretty much linear throughout, but very nice nonetheless. Don't know if I'll go for the FB because I already have lutens AS. either way it's a great Amber scent and you wouldn't go wrong spending the money for the FB. Just my opinion.

PurpleIris49
PurpleIris49

This is Ambre Sultan's tenacious cousin. If you want something with major longevity, this is it. I prefer Ambre Sultan, as it is a bit more easy-going, but I wish that it lasted as long as Amber Absolute. There is too much labdanum in this for my nose, and while I appreciate the smokiness, it almost tips into the medicinal camp. Amber Absolute is more linear than Ambre Sultan, and after the dry down stays much the same throughout the wearing. I suspect this would be great in cool weather. Quite nice, but try before you buy. This isn't for everyone.

Chanel4Evah
Chanel4Evah

I HOPE He brings back Velvet Gardenia for a run as well! OH MY GOD How I Loved that scent when I first smelled it back in like '09 when My Neiman's first carried they line (they stopped carrying around '10 and then have had a Permanent Installation since like Xmas '13) but by that time, Velvet Gardenia had been Discontinued... Please Tom Ford... Re-Release that one! I'll find the money somehow! :-D I want to get a bottle of this, but out of work at the moment, so will have to just miss out on the goodness!

Joeymaz
Joeymaz

Bergdorfs is waiting on a shipment as well. Should be any day now

calvin12780

For all who want amber absolute better buy quickly. I went to buy another bottle 8 21 2015 on tom fords Web page and it's unavailable for 8.5 bottles sold out in less that a week. They do have 3.4 and 1.7 don't know for how long. This fragrance is a beast you will love it or hate it theres no in between.

mrlukechristian
mrlukechristian

I had a sample of this and was quite surprised when I had heard that Tom Ford was relaunching this along with a few others in Harrods.

The reason I was surprised is because I never thought this was one of the powerhouses made by Tom Ford and I found this to be quite unpleasant. The only way I can describe what it smells like is if something had gone off and it is far too heavy and thick to be worn on the skin.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Can anyone compare this to Amouage Opus V1 another amber beauty ?

Blind Buy material YES or NO ?

calvin12780

Got my 8.5 bottle today all I can say is wow. Cant compare to the old but it must be the same, cant imagine it being any stronger. it brings back memories when I first bought my house and all the wood was fresh and new you can still smell the sawdust in the air amber absolute I love it I'm ordering another bottle immediately.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

Way too strong and masculine. Normally I'm a fan of powerhouses, but for some reason this is just too heavy and manly smelling for me. Extremely thick and syrupy. The drydown is better than the opening, however.

Reminds me of Alien Absolue a little bit without the sweetness.. if Alien Absolue grew chest hair.

July_Alexander
July_Alexander

Not a fan of Amber when it's the prominent note, therefore I was not a fan of this one. I have a little less than 5ml decant if anyone is interested.

paramedic
paramedic

Tom ford ( do you have a gray matter in your head )
Why did you discontinued this kind of cologne.
Cologne nobody did it before and nobody will do it again.
You were my best friend
But now I have to evaluate our friendship after this
Either u bring it back or
Usually I call you Tom Ford the great
But now everything changed
I'm sad
Really sad
I can't find any more of this juice
So rich and thick
So complex
So potent
Remarkable and high-class
Worth every penny
Tom Ford I like you
No need to lose each other because of Amber absolute
Fix your mistake and bring it back for all the lovers of this juice
Bring it back and I'll forgive you for your huge mistake
I promise you I will never tell anybody about your mistake
Just bring it back
I don't want a New formulation
I don't want you to change any of the gradients
I want Amber absolute to be the same that I know of

Little Prince
Little Prince

When I first encountered Amber Absolute, I wasn’t mature enough to analyze it. It hit me as something very peculiar and weird, with lots of smoky amber and a boozy element. Recently I borrowed it form a friend and happened to smell it much more clearly.
Amber Absolute starts off with the same booze I used to remember but soon the main player ascends. This is a very high quality, smoky, thick frankincense that resides in the fragrance’s soul and has an extremely stark presence. The frankincense takes its time in the evolution of the perfume and persists boldly throughout it, while amber is more infusing the compositon rather than being the star. After a couple of hours the amber comes more in the center stage. The dry amber is comprised from a mix of labdanum with vanilla. The latter is slightly overpinched in the blend creating a certain gourmand feel that doesn’t enthuse me that much. A soft fruity undertone is also present in the drydown accenting the gourmand-foody aspect, although some spices generally keep the balance in tolerable limits. Finally, there is a tarry woody side also quite strong that makes me suspect the use of a generous dose of guaiac wood.
Amber Absolute is a gigantic, dense and perhaps a bit overpowering oriental show. Personally, I tend to find heavy ambers somehow overwhelmingly self-gratifying and “sleepy”, also AA is reminding me too much of a fine, high-end base. Nevertheless AA is objectively a very good amber oriental, its materials are exquisite and the composition feels extremely natural and rich. Consequently I don’t doubt that it will fully satisfy the fans of the genre. Recommended.

FORTEZZA
FORTEZZA

Good news Amber absolute lovers! I've gotten word from my local neiman Marcus Tom ford product specialist that this is coming back into production. For TF to do that, this stuff must be outstanding. Cannot wait to sample.

I was also told a new fragrence will be coming out in August as well...

DCE
DCE

The ONLY tom ford i own. Ive had a few others, and was sent a sample of this a while back.
upon first spray, i was instantly taken by it. Im a sucker for sweet honeyed Amber and this hit my sweetspot perfectly.

I searched until i found someone who was wiling to part with their big bottle and prised it into my collection. Sitting alongside Ambre naguile as my faves in this line of scents.

sadly discontinued, and i use it minimally.

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

I tried Tobacco Oud recently; the moment you apply it, there is this addictive sweetness that lasts only a few minutes, then the smoky incense and tobacco notes take over. That sweetness IS Amber Absolute.

Heavenly sweet ambery incense. I imagine this is what billionare hippies smell like. It's initailly eyebrow-raising, and honestly the first few times I smelled it, I was confused and couldn't decide if I loved it or despised it. Then, after some time I was just allured, and now every time I smell AA, it's just intense and I totally overlook whatever it was I questioned about liking it.

9/10 for me, the only reason I can't give it a 10 is because it's not something I can wear to work, or to most places. It's VERY heavy, and I hav yet to find the right avenue for it, besides just wearing it around the house. So, I have to ding it 1 point for it's lack of versatility but this is NOT meant to shortcut its greatness; it's GREAT at what it does, and that's envelope you in incnse and amber, and baffle you.

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

Un magnifico incenso ambrato con aura di vaniglia fumosa.
Il profumo è splendido, seducente, lungamente persistente.
Un'ambra femminile, senza derive talcate, asciutta ma non ruvida, anzi morbidissima e di naturale eleganza. La vaniglia scura, quasi liquorosa, offre una dolcezza non spensierata ma sensuale.
Forse l'ambra perfetta, insieme all'ambra di Rania J.
Capolavoro del sig.Tom Ford.
Procura benessere e piacere fisico e mentale.
Profumo raffinatissimo e sexy.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

Another highly derivative fragrance from TF that fails to justify its reputation. While this is a powerful amber essence, it has none of the subtlety and suavity of SL's Ambre Sultan (which was clearly a primary influence in the creation of this one).

What you get here is essentially a huge amber note blended with a huge vanilla note. There's very little else here - some rough incense perhaps. But honestly, $200+ for a huge amber? Really?

I've never been a big amber fan - it seems to me that it takes a certain delicate touch to really balance the richness I associate with middle eastern amber. I tend to think like a chef with regards to amber. You need some acidity, some brightness, some saltiness to keep the amber in check. Unfortunately, you just don't get that from this fragrance.

steve0580
steve0580

After reading all of the hype, I finally got a sample of this and I'm completely puzzled.

Certain fragrances are overhyped and this is definitely one of them. It's a very strong, long lasting, syrupy amber-vanilla mix. That's it. Nothing groundbreaking here.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Oh, what a dream! Who needs sex, or chocolate when one can get such an amazing thrill from this beast? It opens smoky and alcoholic, strong, noticeable, there is indeed a sense of alcohol, mixed with the woody note, but for me amber and incense take centre stage. The amber note with the vanilla softens the overall fierce effect of incense and labdanum, which go strong and spicy throughout and lasts for an amazing amount of time to eventually dry down to a deep, ambery wood. A very well blended juice, dangerous to smell on neck of a man...

judyk

I ♥ my Amber Absolute, sadly discontinued and, more to the point, waaaay too expensive for my wallet. So naturally, I've been trying out all sorts of dupes. And I'm pleased to announce that I've found an excellent one - Swiss Arabian TF Amber Absolute oil. If you love and miss AA, go for it!

takeitupthenose

There are amber fragrances and there is this. The only other fragrance that competes with this beast from a projection longevity perspective is NY Amber by Bond. Together they are Godzilla and King Kong and someone is going to get hurt.

To say this is only an Amber fragrance seems a bit hard for me to understand. There is a great incense note, and a potent frankincense note (different for sure in this). Now there ain't much going on but those three (with the vanilla/labdanum accord which only ramps up the amber) and that my friend is enough to cause this fragrance to fight for one of the top on the market. Three things. If you don't like incense, amber and sweetness. Finish reading this and move along cause this fragrance consists of these notes in reckless abandon!

Longevity, projection, sillage and anything else is around the 10.5 out of 10 mark. This will assualt you if you overspray and maybe anyone else in a 5 foot radius :o)

Top shelf frag here and only second to my beloved Noir de Noir.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I'm a huge TF devotee. But when he strikes out, he really strikes out. While I like this amber better than most other ambers, it still has a synthetic quality that kind of sickens me.

This is a unisex amber, definitely not sweet, and a very pure amber to a large extent. There isn't much else going on other than amber. But for an amber of the simple yet gorgeous kind, I greatly prefer L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme, which is by far the best and least synthetic amber I have ever smelled.

SenseOfScents
SenseOfScents

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

SUBJECTIVE

The quintessential expression of masculinity, this audacious fragrance is certainly the hardest to pull off in my collection. Credit to Tom Ford for accurately describing this fragrance to a T as absolute amber. While this fragrance is certainly not a crowd pleaser, the note of amber is not necessarily supposed to be. While other amber-based fragrances often use a sweet supporting cast (e.g. honey in Hermessence’s Ambre Narguilé), this one exudes a smoky projection. Its brawny construction includes incense and wood.

On the odd occasion you fancy this one, you will wear it for yourself, not for others. Do not expect compliments of any sort, unless your company happens to involve males like yourself with an appreciation for the avant-garde style. Truth be told, it will serve your collection as a well-blended masculine powerhouse better than your skin for public wear.

OBJECTIVE

All props to Amber Absolute not only for smelling like amber extract, but also for a dominating performance once applied. Like other Tom Ford Private Blend colognes, this one lasts days and projects monstrously throughout its longevity. For this reason, a couple sprays per day means that its high price tag is somewhat justified.

Apply this fragrance in the winter only please. On the back of the neck, two sprays will suffice while outdoors while only one spray is required while indoors. Avoid the front (e.g. collar, chest) as the smokiness may induce nausea after a while.

IMPRESSION

A niche fragrance for niche audiences, you will likely appreciate its masculine boldness if you are a fragrance collector or if you enjoy the note of amber. If a crowd pleaser is on your wish list, steer clear of this one. Although unlike all the designer colognes at your nearest fragrance counter, there is probably a reason for this observation. This fragrance seems to lack a certain evolution, or contrast amongst notes, which seem to “burn” the amber as it dries down as opposed to supporting and complimenting it from top to base. If amber is for you, however, then this cologne is your calling.

PLAN

If you are not a lover of the art of perfumery, move on to another fragrance straightaway. Otherwise, this one is worth sampling, as it coveys the note of amber more genuinely than its rivals Ambre Sultan (by Serge Lutens) and Ambre Narguilé (by Hermessence). ★★

Fragmeister
Fragmeister

One of the best ambers available. I have a brand new 50ml bottle without box available. Message me if interested.

Kain
Kain

Ahhhhhh, Amber Absolute. you sick bas****! :D
Finally I found a sample of you!
It's another great amber based fragrance that I was expecting a little more out of it but still it's strong enough to kill tons of other fragrances out there!
The opening is a strong sweet amber mixed with lots of woods and spices.
The sweetness is strong in vanilla way and mixing with strong woods and spices, create a yummy sweet fragrance which is brutal and masculine at the same time.
The opening remind me of Amber Sultan. yes, but the sweetness is more and stronger.
As time goes by, there isn't too much changes.
The vanilla sweetness become stronger and you can still smell strong woods and spiced side by side the sweetness.
The dry down is different from Amber Sultan too my nose.
In Amber Sultan you will get a smooth honey sweetness which is not so potent plus very smooth woods and spices, but in this fragrance the sweetness is vanilla like and its very strong and also woods and spices are much stronger!
The dry down and base of this fragrance remind me of Andy Tauer's masterpiece! I mean LADDM!
They don't smell exactly the same, but they do have a lot of things in common!
So if you can't find this fragrance or it's too expensive, you can replace it by LADDM easily which is as quality as this, maybe even better and just like this with stunning projection and longevity.
It's quite sad that this fragrance is discontinued, but fortunately there are great replacements for it.

بالاخره موفق شدم به لطف یکی از دوستان یه سمپل کوچیک از این عطر پیدا کنم
دستت درد نکنه دادا :دی
راستشو بخواین یه مقدار توقع بیشتری از این عطر داشتم ولی بازم جزو بهترین هاست
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی قوی و شیرین کهربا که حس وانیلی مانندی داره شروع میشه
در کنار این بوی گرم و شیرین و وانیلی مانند کهربا میشه رایحه خیلی قوی چوب و ادویه هم حس کرد که بوی تلخ و تند و مردانه ای به این بوی شیرین میدن
رایحه اولیه تا حد زیادی من یاد امبر سلطان میندازه اما شیرینی بوی این بیشتره
در ادامه بوی عطر تغییر خیلی جزئی میکنه
بوی شیرین وانیل مانند قویتر میشه و اون بوی قوی چوب و ادویه ای همچان حس میشن
بوی عطر در این مرحله و به بعد دیگه شبیه به امبر سلطان نیست زیاد
تو امبر سلطان بوی عطر شیرینی ملایم و عسل مانندی داره که رایحه های ملایمی از چوب و ادویه باهاش ترکیب شدن، ولی این بوی شیرین قویتر و وانیلی داره که بوی چوب و ادویه اش قویتره
بوی عطر تو این مرحله منو تا حد زیادی یاد شاهکار اندی تاور که چند تا توصیف قبلتر نوشتم میندازه
صد در صد شبیه هم نیستن اما شباهتهای خیلی زیادی دارن
این عطر متاسفانه تولیدش متوقف شده و خیلی سخت پیدا میشه و اگر هم پیدا بشه قیمت خیلی بالایی داره ولی اشکال نداره
میتونین جانشین های خوبی دیگه ای مثل اون عطر اندی تاور که شاید بشه گفت از این هم بهتره براش پیدا کنین
پخش بوش بسیار عالیه و ماندگاری بالای 12 ساعت روی پوست داره

GMK
GMK

If you like rich , thick ambery / incese oreintal fragrances similar to middle easteren perfumed oils which are majorly composed of oud/leather/ amber/ musk, you should try it.

AA is very very long lasting and a bit cloying at first half an hour , a fairly good fragrance at dry down but its not worth the price.

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

I did not like this out of the bottle - I got a strong sweet boozy note (brandy?) and the dry down remained messy, murky, and unpleasant. If there were amber notes in there they were somehow too loud to hear. But I mixed Amber Absolute with Antidote by Victor and Rolf and suddenly it was just great.

If like me you find this over-concentrated and thus unwearable, like listening to a symphony where all the notes are played simultaneously instead of sequentially, then consider mixing it with another fragrance and it could open up, slow down, and give Amber Absolute the space it needs to reveal its true potential.

Verdict: Out of the bottle thumbs down. In a judicious mix top marks.

Please see my Antidote review for details.

katka.Šašková
katka.Šašková

Mirza: Reminds me much cheaper El Nabil perfumed oil called Amber of Yemen. The same ambra from heaven, sharp in the beginning, then melting into beautiful balsamic scent. Very very long lasting. Try to find some on ebay. Really cheap, especially in comparison with Tom Ford :-)

Mirza
Mirza

Uuuhhh really really want to try this one ,but unfortunately it is unavailable in my country ,indonesia :(

mwallwork
mwallwork

I have almost nothing to add to the wonderful reviews I have read on this site for TF Amber Absolute. This perfume is quite comforting as I enjoy the dry down. I can discern primarily amber lightly flavored with incense smoke and woods. The vanilla is present, but just barely. This scent is all about amber, amber, amber.

Smells divine on a woman - not a trip to masculine-land at all. Just depends if this is your choice.

!Tom Ford!
Please, you must bring this back perhaps as a special edition. Even if for no other reason than to put the perfume scalpers out of business.

Edit: Three hours post application. Now the vanilla is really making its entrance. Nice.

herreroph
herreroph

I received a 5ml sample yesterday. In my oppinion smells great, very nice scent if you love the amber like me.

Hoyo
Hoyo

Absolutely powerful and brilliant. It is a love or hate type of fragance. The opening is a bit much but the dry down is long lasting and a must for any amber lover

deadidol
deadidol

Just a lovely, resinous and true-to-form amber. It's not doing anything really unique, but it's a strong, solid, and highly natural scent. Such a shame it's getting discontinued.

It reminds me of the dry down of Ambre Sultan, at least the amber that remains once the spiciness has disappeared.

Like most Tom Fords, it's very powerful, projects like crazy, and smells as strong as when I applied it (4 hours ago).

Charomora
Charomora

As much as I adore this scent I have to say you need to apply it on skin or clothes. I normally wear fragrance on my hair, but it doesn't work with this one: Amber Absolute needs to be constantly warmed by skin to show all its majestical beauty. With all that, I bought mine about a month ago and I'm already considering getting a back up!

darrshan77
darrshan77

Review of Darrshan

I tried following the reviews as I love tomford tobacco vanille but amber absolute is very hard and smells yuck can't stand a minute I will pass on. Thanks I bought a vile

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Massive modern powerhouse of a scent, both famous and infamous!

There's really not much to it other than the obvious thing that amber has replaced the World's oceans. While woods have replaced humans. Modern means of course, unlike the 'older' powerhouses there's none of the herbal or 'old green' accords here. Nor are there heavy spices, but there are some. And of course where there is amber, theres vanilla - but here, even that is drowned out by the woods. Not a loud vanilla for me.

Sadly, I find it has a musky type of vibe that rears itself all too obviously for me even from the opening. Not so animalic, but very easy to detect if you are sensitive to that sort of note! So no brownie points there. It could be the woods creating this effect. Sadly this also seems to stop me from sensing any incense that may be buried in there too.

I don't fancy the olibanum that's clearly used here. This has less 'nice spice' and more of this stuff, and it's very loud too. Along with the incence and woods, it sort of creates a very 'dark floral' powder accord, again which I don't fancy!

It's certainly not too sweet and sensual, so will not score well with me- but it does what it was meant to do- be a direct refelction of the Man Tom Ford himself, and it does it as one of the best power-ambers on the market.

The amber does have an upscale resinous feel to it, so some points there. It almost holds very well with it's title, but the woods and musky incense are more than just cameo stars, they are almost the main players.

Strong, heavy, woody/musky. And incense. Definitely heavyweight! Much less feminine, and more masculine of ambers- it's not too great this way for me!

Be very careful as even 2 sprays can offend.

Scent: 4/10.
Quality: 8/10.

Sidenote:

5/5 for woodsy lovers. Maybe much of the brashness is down to the woods and not the musk so much.

tourmali45
tourmali45

I’m lucky – I don’t find any vanilla in my Ambre Absolute, only heavenly natural amber. This is the smell you may find sniffing a pine on a hot summer day. I remember I always loved the smell even in my childhood – my summer camp stood deep in the pine woods, and inhaling the scent of resin I thought how I wish there were perfumes like that. Fast forward a couple of decades and voila! I have found my wonder resin scent. It’s not boring, it’s just so comfortingly sexy and homey at the same time. Not stiletto and red lipstick sexy, but in sweater near the fireplace sexy. And in my climate in winter that’s what I prefer.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A very woody sweet amber with incense and vanilla is what I'm mainly getting from this one. It's a bit on the syrupy side but the interplay of these notes is nicely balanced. Though I still like HdP Ambre 114 as my Ambre of choice.

glorious1
glorious1

More masculine than MPG Ambre Precieux or SL Ambre Sultan.......
It is what it is.....straight forward Amber. I do not spray it. I use a roll on.
It's nice......I like to wear it to bed. Cozy. Unisex of course.....it's rich but not at all much sillage I don't think. Stays close but you do know it's there.

I only have a decant however, I believe it'll last me a long time.

judyk

Well, this has *more* than made up for yesterday's Tobacco Vanille disappointment!

Amber Absolute - does exactly what it says on the tin. It's Absolutely Amber - with incense and vanilla playing flawless but discreet supporting roles. I can't stop sniffing myself, but really it's almost redundant as the projection is *strong*.

It's rich, intense, luscious, heavenly... Opulent! - that's the word I'm looking for. Now if you'll excuse me, I must immediately contact my supplier and order a larger decant, a much larger decant, and dream of possessing a FB.

mubes89
mubes89

This is a very heavy scent. I love the drydown but the first sniff is almost too much. It's very thick, almost like honey - and it smells like cognac to me. The amber is very present but I like it more after two hours or so... then it gets more soft and wearable. The sillage is amazing and it last forever. I mean forever! I tried it in the morning and I could still smell it 24 hours after!

kookaburrah
kookaburrah

TF AA is good stuff but very pricey. If you want a much cheaper alternative try Attar Bazaar Persian Amber or Kuumba Made Amber Paste.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

Amber Absolute is all about amber and incense with a light vanilla drydown. It's heavy, dense and rich. Stays on my skin for more than 24 hours. There are tons of other Amber scents out there but this masterpiece could only be created by Tom Ford. Very sensual and sexual, salty and sweet at the same time. Not for everybody but not everyone can appreciate its uniqueness. Its a shame it has been discontinued.

Buysblind
Buysblind

Really good stuff. And very strong.

To those who haven't smelled too many amber-based scents I would describe Amber Absolute as toasted marshmallows with a dry, slightly smoky, and dusty edge. The incense, which provides the dry, dusty quality, works wonderfully to balance the vanillic amber heart. This is a cozy, snuggly, and sensual fragrance that leans more toward the masculine side of the spectrum than feminine (though I certainly wouldn't mind it on a woman). It is a little bit spicy as well, but in a warm, inviting kind of way. Rich and thick, I find Amber Absolute works best when applied lightly with just one or two sprays.

For those who are familiar with some of the better-known amber-based scents, I would describe Amber Absolute as Ambre Sultan with the spicy herbal aspect toned down and the vanillic amber turned up, along with some of the dry dustiness of L'Air Du Desert Marocain. Somebody even described it as "Gucci Pour Homme on steroids," which I think is really the perfect descripiton of this.

An especially great fragrance to wear on a winter night, Amber Absolute has excellent projection and longevity. And while it's unique and interesting, it seems easy enough to pull off.

Unfortunately, this one's being discontinued, so get it while you still can.

MerlinAbsolute
MerlinAbsolute

Uniqueness: 10/10
Longevity: 8.5/10
Overall: 10/10

Boy does this have "it" factor. Dark and sensual to the utmost, the amber and incense is everything you can wish for. This is the most intense amber, even moreso than Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens); it arrives with full fanfare, an enormous entourage and unmistakeable presence.

It is royalty in the East, the Emperor of Amber, coming on with caravans of exotic spices and precious oils. Ambre Sultan is for the black jaguar resting in the heat of the jungle, wary and always ready to proclaim its presence.

I recently bought a sample of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens and unfortunately this Tom Ford has taken its place as most favored amber. The opening flourishes with a note that feels almost like a cognac or deep wine, highlighting the incense and amber. It can almost be described as having a thickness to it that is wonderfully heady, intense on the peru balsam. It does not overpower unless you douse yourself with it (which you shouldn't do with any perfume). Perfectly balanced and there is nothing to critique about it. The bottle is simple and elegant, beautiful gold plates make it look a million dollars.

Amber Absolute is not an everyday fragrance; in fact that would be a waste. No, it is definitely one to wear to a black-tie dinner gala or romantic date. Its price is in the luxury range but you get what you pay for: and that is a luxury perfume. So you could get something less expensive, but in the end it's all about how you feel about it. Parfumista2010 puts it right: you will never look at another amber again.

boruvka44

If you get a chance, try perfume oil Amber of Yemen by El Nabil, it`s pretty cheap alternative (to me it smells the same) with great longevity (about 12 hours).

FBenoit1
FBenoit1

Could I be the only person that doesn't like it. Ordered a sample and before I could take it out of the package I could smell it. Very very potent. I have barely sampled it because I can barely breathe. I have to keep it in a zip lock bag otherwise the smell lingers in my room.

I hope to one day sample it and smell its true beauty.

Savitar
Savitar

I can't imagine any sane person disliking this fragrance. I haven't smelled other classic amber scents like Ambre Precieux and Ambre Sultan, but this is a gift from heaven. Please please please, do yourself a favor and try this. It's sex in a bottle.

sablebombe
sablebombe

This opens on me with a massive blast of incense and amber - and being an amber fan (and possessing a few amber scents) my thoughts immediately went to Annick Goutal's Ambre Fétiche....! And there is not much difference between these two! The vanilla peeks quicker in AF and later in AA......! Both have the gutsy incense starts although I think Annick's is stronger in the incense start up and Tom's more about the amber! Tom's is also softer and more rounded than Annick Goutal's offering (and I never thought I would hear myself saying that..!!!). Annick's also has that kind of medicinal quality (Dettolesque some might say?)!

I think these two could be quite interchangeable and a waste of cash to buy both - so if you prefer more of a raw incense over the amber go for Annick's Ambre Fétiche and for Tom's offering if you want the incense to take a seat letting the amber and vanilla shine .......... the choice is yours!

Which one would I go for....? Ahh, I have both!

Sa Majeste la Rose
Sa Majeste la Rose

The best amber perfume ever! As simple as that...

twlahue
twlahue

Reminds me of Gucci pour Homme. If you can't get this, just buy Gucci. If you can't get Gucci, get the $20 Dirty English...
The average nose won't be able to tell them apart...

takeitupthenose

I told myself about a year ago that I would never spend more than $150 on ANY fragrance. However, this one is really causing me to question that strong stance.

The note breakdown is simple yet descriptive. A dark reisenous amber for the first few minutes quickly accompanied by incense and vanilla (don't know much about the 4th component). A very deceptive fragrance. You have to wear this one. At first you think "no big deal" and then as it dries down it morphs, the incense takes center stage and it gets heavier, then the vanilla dominates and it sweetens up, it starts of a lot lighter than it finishes, at about 3-4 hours it is projecting like a monster. If you like the ingredients of this fragrance then this is a buy, at least a decant of it. You can feel each stage of its development and compliments are nonceasing. It is a 5 star fragrance for sure!

spirit966
spirit966

Its very thick and amberish indeed. But not really sweet or cloying. Its more syrupy than vanillic if that makes any sense. A tad too much for me to make a purchase.

Somehow it feels a bit like petrol and oily (tar!?) in terms of how clean/dirty it is and a mix of Musc Ravageur's animalic notes. Or perhaps a much denser Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense without the soap.

Very unique indeed but I'm not sure I put this ahead of TV and seems like it is very suitable for layering.

I prefer Absolue Pour le Soir over this as it smells similar but is less dense.

aeli
aeli

- WOW, my SIGNATURE SCENT!

-- Smells beautiful, rich, soft, vanilly, so warm and oriental ....

--- Lasting Power is impressive!

---- A 'MUST' for all Amber and Vanilla Lovers!

----- By far the best Amber Scent ever!

*Rating 10/10

INJEN
INJEN

Dos anyone know if this only comes in a 250 ml bottle or there is a smaller size ?

hollycat

I feel I must apologize for my hasty review down below. TF Amber Absolute has won me over big time.

I guess I should refrain from reviewing anything until I can really "know" a fragrance. Maybe I was jaded. But I can now see the err of my ways.

AA is an intensely gorgeous boozy, spicy amber that has a musky vanillic, almost edible drydown. It reminds me a bit of the beautifully fragrant Morrocan hair oil that has such a amazing scent that I wish I could have it as a perfume, but alas the scent doesnt last and is lost a few minutes after I smooth into my hair.

Yes, this scent is linear. But as a compromise you get a rich scent that lasts forever with the best quality ingredients as per the price tag.

One day I will have this perfume. And it will be worth the wait. Sexy, sexy, sexy.

Aysu
Aysu

With such a high price tag, you expect some miracles and it's not there. It is a well done amber scent, with incense and vanilla notes, what a surprise!?!!
Staying power was extreme, bottle was beautiful, but if you expect to make a statement with this scent, this is just another amber scent with high quality ingredients. But you can smell the same if you buy amber oil from Istanbul's spice bazaar, if you choose a high quality one. Sorry Tom Ford :-(

Aqua218
Aqua218

Poor vanilla is struggling to come up for air, but it's being buried alive by incense and some kind of funky resin reminiscent of bong water.

boruvka44

In a word: propolis. I love it. Warm, natural, amazing scent. Try perfume oil Amber of Yemen by El Nabil. Cheap and longlasting twin.

codehorror
codehorror

AA is one of my favorite scents from Tom Ford's private blend line. This fragrance when it is first applied gives you a wonderful slightly sweet incense and wood scent. As it drys down the sweetness in the scent increases till you are left with a beautiful smokey incense, vanillic amber oriental. This fragrance projects well and last for days. But funny enough this fragrance never gets cloying to me, however be warned if over applied you will choke out a room with this scent.

Projection: This thing makes its presence known, and leaves a great scent trail. 10/10

Longivity: This has to be one of the longest lasting fragrances on my skin that I have ever come across, and and if you happen to get it on your cloths... 10/10

Scent: This is an amazing scent in my opinion, that I am sure any fan of incense and oriental fragrance will love. 10/10

Versatility: This is a cold weather fragrance plain and simple. This will work well for day or night time formal use. 5/10

Price: Tom Ford's private blends are pricey, and some in my opinion are over priced but that is not the case here. You are getting what you are paying for. 8/10

Overall: 10/10

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I love the independent conceptions of niche perfumers as a whole; Ford, Malone, Juliette, etc. But alot of the creations, I find, aren't actually wearable as they are interesting.
Amber Absolute boasts the heavy, smoky, earthy quality of amber itself and it's various effects on fragrances as a note in general. If I was to try to wear this, It wouldn't be alone. Taking my very pleasant experience with Malone's Amber & Lavender, i woild pick a scent high in sweet floral aroma for the job. But then, spending $230 for each fragrance to mix doesn't seem just, especially considering the unfinished quality of the overall result.

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

Enjoying the aroma of TF Amber Absolute is traveling for a few seconds to the Middle East and explore these ancient markets that surround you in your path with its scents of amber and incense. I sense from the first moment the warmth of amber infused with a strong incense, creating a classic oriental blend that lingers for several hours. A powerful perfume ideal for cold climates. In my opinion a bit linear, who satisfies for sure fans of this genre with an offer much more refined than that Gucci Pour Homme created by the same Tom Ford years ago.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

AA is another big favourite of mine. Balsamic, sweet, delicious and wow! sexy I can seldom resist this temptation in a bottle.
If there were a creme brulee with that aroma it would be my favourite dish.
AA is much sweeter than Tobacco Vanilla, so to say a bit more on the feminine side but men will be just as sexy with it, I am sure :-)
It smells like honey and caramel concentree then followed by some incense - woody notes are in the background all the time but very carefully dosed.
AA has big sillage so please do not apply too much (I could literally bathe in it but I better not) as it will last at least 8 hours, if not longer.
If you are into amber scents you should go get a sniff but please be warned : Once you love it it will haunt you until you carry that wonderful bottle home :-)

janudy
janudy

I knew this would be my favorite of the Tom Ford line--it reminds me a bit of La Via del Profumo’s Balsamo della Mecca or Tauer Maroc pour Elle without the honeyed notes. I find it more on the masculine side of unisex, but as a woman I would wear this w/o any qualms.

If you like the smell of Tiger balm, then you will like this as well. This also has that smoky, slightly sweet and medicinal, warm feel. I happen to love the smell, but I can see how some people don't want to smell like joint medication.

hollycat

I find this to be mostly a vanillic scent. I find it smells like a boozy, amber scent with a typical vanilla/amber drydown that isnt new to me. This is overhyped IMO. Its way too overpriced and overrated.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Hmmm... I just read all of the reviews, and suspect I won't be getting any balloons here.

To me this is one dusty stinker of a scent; I felt like I rolled in the dirt with this one.

I spritzed this on while strolling through Nordstroms, so was obligated to spend hte next hour with myself until I could change my shirt. I'm used to amber fragrances being warm and resinous. This is truly dusty; a dry, raspy, nothing-inviting-here type of offense.

Oi. Not for me.

autumn89
autumn89

How this smells even remotely like the monstrosity that is Gaultier2 i do not know, but i suppose it shows how subjective scent is.

This is perfect. There's no other word. Its just beautiful.

Possibly my favourite perfume ever.

Very unisex and very beautiful.

Contessa01
Contessa01

Maybe its just me but this is a seriously sexy fragrance. I ordered samples of all of the tom ford private blends and this was my favourite followed by Champaca absolute. It is very strong, very ambery, incensey, definitely not a fragrance to wear to work or if you dont want attention. It is not mainstream and it screams 'sex appeal', people may wonder what you've been up to! I have wanted a FB for so long but so expensive. The TF private blends are very masculine in general but I think this and is very much a womens fragrance.

Beautiful and stunning. Lasting power is wonderful. Sillage is quite loud at first but it calms to a very subtle scent.

The perfect amber/incense fragrance. After a days wear you are left with just olibanum and vanilla.

Shame about the price but im ashamed to say i think its worth it...

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Yummmm!!!! Was all I could say when I got the first whiff from my sample. This is my kind of perfume. It smelled like oud without the barnyard, frankincense, sandalwood, a little patchouli, benzoin, and possibly other woods and resins. The amber is dry, woody and incense-rich with none of those frou-frou flowery or foody things to detract from its solid nobility. The name fits perfectly.

I put it on in the morning, and the scent of AA blended perfectly with the aroma of the dark roast espresso-strength coffee that I was drinking. I never thought of matching my perfume to my breakfast, but why not? As it dries down through the day, the vanilla-resin base becomes a little more prominent, but the incense is still there. This is too good. I need a big decant.

my2scents
my2scents

This is one of the best and richest ambers I've tried. It's got the perfect amount of sharpness, and dries down to a magnificent, warm amber scent. It lasts and lasts and is pretty powerful so a little goes a long way. If you take the medicinal herbs from Ambre Sultan and add some extra warmth to the base, you'll have something close to Amber Absolute.

distortech
distortech

I love it! That's really all I can say about it. Purely fabulous!

Suzy
Suzy

One of the 12 scents from the Tom Ford Private Blend, Amber Absolute is an oriental with notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, and vanilla bean.

This is a VERY nice scent. I smell lots of amber and spicy vanilla. The Private blend collection is unisex, but they all have a more masculine smell to me; although, there are a couple I would wear, including this one.