Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine Tom Ford for women and men

Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine Tom Ford for women and men
dislike

Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine by Tom Ford is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Rodrigo Flores-Roux. The fragrance features magnolia, exotic floral notes, tea, clementine, white peach, bergamot, hyacinth, hinoki wood, plum, jasmine, tea rose, wisteria, amber, peony, benzoin, styrax, cedar and vetiver.

Magnolia Exotic floral notes Tea Clementine White Peach Bergamot Hyacinth Hinoki Wood Plum Jasmine Tea Rose Wisteria Amber Peony Benzoin Styrax Cedar Vetiver

Arpege
Nahema

Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine Fragrance Reviews

Calvini

I'm glad you try it and found something you really like :)
You pretty much pointed out why this reminded me of Fate: oriental floral + light aldehydic & animalic vibe; reminiscent of the classics yet modern.
I also I have to point out the "lukewarm" feel they both have, which is a special balance between the cool fresh floral and the warm oriental.

archivist
archivist

This was an immediate big love for me - I blind swapped for it, because I knew I could swap it as easily as the bottle which went out for it (3.4 Amouage Reflection) and decided it was worth the risk, even though as a rule I don't care much for Tom Ford fragrances (of all the ones I've smelled, this and TF for Women are the only ones that really speak to me). I swapped for it because of the review below that said it was on the same wavelength as Amouage Fate, which intrigued me due to not being remotely LIKE Amouage Fate in the notes. And in truth, I think that reviewer is insightful. This is a feminine oriental in a classic mode which has a distinctly modern composition. That much they do indeed have in common. The database calls Fate a chypre floral but I think that's way off.

So I was kind of shocked to discover that I loved it more than I had imagined would be possible, given the notes and reviews.

As others have stated, this is very much like an oriental aldehyde - I've never smelled anything quite like it (and certainly NOT Arpege, I have no idea what on earth people are thinking with that comparison -- Arpege smells very dated to me, and while Fleur de Chine has classic bone structure it would never be taken for a vintage). I appreciate classic aldehydes - I don't care for No. 5, but I do love No. 5 Eau Premiere. I usually keep at least one old-school aldehyde like Gold or Caleche on hand because when that's what's needed really nothing else will do. However, I ended up swapping away both Gold and Caleche because they were just a bit much for me - even my EDT of 24 Faubourg requires a sense of command that isn't always what I want to say with my scent.

This is perfection. This one is for *me* - I'm definitely more of an oriental fragrance girl, and while I like the idea and composition of many vintages I just don't like smelling them on myself. No matter how much I appreciate and enjoy them, I can't comfortably wear them. This has the structure and composition of many vintages I can think of (particularly Balenciaga Quadrille) but it isn't at all heavy or overly opulent - I can't handle Plum Japonais or Shanghai Lily, both are way too "Black Orchid turned up to 11" for me. Nor is it thin or shrill. The weight is just right for spring and summer, though I can imagine wearing this in various contexts year-round (one of the conditions for making the favorites shelf for me is that I reach for the bottle all the time, not just a few months out of the year). The sillage from this is more like a rippling jewel-toned silk (freshly washed in a delicate soap) than a heavy brocade train that smells like it came out of a theatrical costume basement.

In addition to the aldehydic floral plus oriental intricacy of the scent - all of which somehow manages to add up to an uncomplicated, unfussy, non-ostentatious elegance (NOT words you're likely to see associated with Tom Ford scents in general) there is a positively delirious skein of subliminal feminine animalia in here - not overt, but more like seeing the wild beauty of a fox face peering out from branches of wisteria. It is there, and it is arousing and sexy, almost dizzying even though it's so light and delicately blended (again - words you're not going to see associated with Tom Ford scents very often, if ever). What I love about the balance of the animalia with the serene femininity in this scent is that you're just not really sure if you're really smelling it. It's a suggestion, like a smoldering glance instead of a full upskirt. That, to me, makes this infinitely sexier and more wearable than something that has a lot of skank to it.

Lots of skank can be embarrassing. Western of me to say so, I suppose, but that's how I feel. I've had Magie Noire and I've had Theo Fennell, and while I enjoyed both of them and wore them each two or three times, I simply felt too self-conscious about the intensity of their fragrant knickers. To put it mildly. I once wore a single spray of Theo Fennel under my clothes for an evening out and within an hour I smelled like I was in full heat. It was clearly having an effect on my date, but I can't say it was a good one - he looked kind of terrified, frankly. Which I found very understandable. It was whiffy. VERY whiffy. Some women can pull that off, but it's not my style.

Fleur de Chine, on the other hand, does nothing to suggest that the wearer is a complete maneater with an all-consuming kitty. It is too confusing for that. She might be? She might not be. There's only one way to find out.

That, to me, is how Flores-Roux accomplished the brief he was given, "the 'scandalous femininity' of women in “Asia's cinematic past, including the ‘30s femme fatale in a cheongsam and dark lipstick." Fleur de Chine is composed, elegant, but there's something behind those eyes... Mysterious, intriguing, maybe a little danger under the polished surface. Everything about it is so balanced and graceful - which makes these whispers of animalic and leather facets even more compelling, precisely because you feel them, you *intuit* them more than you can smell them. She keeps her secrets. But if you spent long enough with your face nuzzled into her, you'd learn them.

Deeper into the drydown, the styrax and hinoki and vetiver create a gorgeous light spicy peppery quality that I just can't get enough of. Again, it doesn't yell, it's not loud. The blending in this scent blows my mind. Surface smell, just going on "oh, this smells really nice, this is lovely" is great, that's fine - that's going to be the experience that most people have if they get close enough to catch a wisp of sillage - but there's so much cleverness and complexity to this that if you're actually *wearing* it - well, it couldn't possibly bore me, which a lot of "oh, this smells nice" perfumes do.

I'm enraptured.

I understand this has been discontinued. It's certainly not what anyone would expect from a Tom Ford, and in my book that's a GOOD thing. I'm certainly very tempted to go about getting a backup bottle, but I'll live with what I've got for a few months and check the bottle level before going crazy in the flush of new love. Right now, today? Right now it feels like my future signature. Time will tell.

arrode
arrode

Smelling this I totally get why it was discontinued. Not that that means it smells bad. I actually quite like it, but it's nothing like any of the other Tom Fords I've smelled. It's quite vintage smelling in feel. Very floral, powdery, aldehydic for sure. It definitely has a dressy, old-school, classy feel to it. I like it a lot, but I was quite shocked when I smelled it to realize it's part of the Atelier d'Orient line. It's quite unique! I think it would great for spring as it smells like blooming florals to me. Also, I would think this leans way more feminine than masculine. I am quite surprised this is a unisex! Pops off my skin a good 12 inches or so and lasts quite a long time. Lovely and sad it's discontinued.

Calvini

This reminds me of Amouage's Fate for women, but much less "grand" and oriental, also Nasomatto's China White, but much less hypnotizing... Quite nice but average (definitely outshadowed by Shanghai Lily)

miamidice
miamidice

This perfume definitely doesn't smell like it's for men! I just tried some in a free sample I got and it smells like an over 50's housewife. It smells just like potpourri.

kl99
kl99

Between Revlon and Max Factor of the end of 70s first 80s.
Tremendous sweet hairspray. Elnett l'oreal, splend'or.
Ok for nostalgics.

xabaras
xabaras

Fleur de Chine smells classy and powerful to my nose. A Winter fragrance and an evening one at that. It is seductive maybe too much. It is strong from the very start with an oriental ambery kick which almost sends into override your sense of smell. It makes me think of those seriously seductive fragrances which were so popular in the Eighties when I was only a child and "grown up women" simply smelled like this when they dressed up to go out. Don't let this explosion of power put you off. Fleur de Chine tones down a lot in about 5 minutes and at that point you can detect a combination of balanced undefinable flowers (they are all there at the same time equally strong and I couldn't grasp one particular flower note) and resins. This is what you get for the next 5 or 6 hours until it becomes barely perceptible for many hours to come. This is the stage in this fragrance I love most: close to the skin.
It is a statement fragrance. If you wear this you certainly won't go unnoticed. I only have one doubt: is this worth the price?

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

THIS. OMG.

Fleur de Chine makes up for the "meh" reaction I felt from Neroli Portofino and the mess (on my skin, at least) that was Jasmin Rouge. FdC is a gorgeous composition that lasts for aeons. How is this fragrance not praised extravagantly?

Pepperflower stated in her comment below that this fragrance is "oriental Chanel No. 5" and I absolutely agree. Both scents convey a feeling instead of an easily dissected slew of notes that make up a fragrance. Basically described, (very basically, as FdC must be experienced in order to "get" it, I think) take No. 5's powdery luminosity, well-blended florals and hints of velvety peach and add darker pitted fruits, exotic resinous smoke, evergreen hinoki wood and dry clove-like spice and you have Fleur de Chine.

In many ways this reminds me of the now-discontinued Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein. Fleur de Chine has the seamless "blur tool" feel of high-quality, well-blended ingredients while Secret Obsession is more overt with the spice, but they "feel" strikingly similar as they settle on the skin. If you want the Fleur de Chine experience without the price, try Secret Obsession.

Fleur de Chine seems to be a "mood" scent, or best used in environments that warrant sexy and spicy fragrances. I do not feel sexy and spicy as often as I'd like, so while FdC is truly lovely, I don't think I'd be compelled to wear it often enough to warrant a full bottle. A+ fragrance in my book, though!

TheTomFordEnthusiast
TheTomFordEnthusiast

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is a Private Blend. It's so weak and unremarkable that it doesn't even begin to belong in the Signature line, much less the Private Blend line. Hopefully it gets retired as soon as possible.

FrozanKaos
FrozanKaos

Initial sillage is quite strong but fades rather fast.
Also even I found this one is a bit too feminine for a man wearing it.
I prefer Bond No.9 Chinatown

jacmac
jacmac

I agree with Pepperflower who found it similar to Chanel No. 5, especially the Eau Premiere for some reason, at least for the first hour or two. This is a beautiful oriental floral, not sweet, rich, delicately spicy, nothing sharp, and the basenotes surface quickly. I get an earthy, mushroomy drydown similar to Velvet Orchid for some reason (maybe the vetiver?) which is very sexy and unique.

theladymay
theladymay

Beautiful, big but not loud floral opening. Blended wonderfully; I'd have to be deliberately thinking about it to determine what particular flower is where. Juicy, delicate, elegant, lovely. Unfortunately my skin eats it and a half an hour in I can't find it at all. Others can smell it if they sniff my wrist. (or in the case of dear husband bury their nose in my neck) Two hours from spraying it's completely gone for both myself and my sniff testing assistants. Quel dommage. I think it's one of Ford's most beautiful fragrances, really something to try if gorgeous florals make you shiver.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

The opening of Fleur de Chine is magnificent, the most wonderful Tom Ford I've encountered since Velvet Gardenia. I was very much hoping that FdC would do for magnolia what VG did for gardenia, but it was not to be. After that gorgeous, breathtaking, rich opening, FdC goes nowhere, and in fact disappears in about two hours' time, having already faded into the scent of nothing much. So damn sad.

ali..khalili
ali..khalili

بخور هندی را بو کرده اید ؟ بخورهایی که اندازه یک مداد هست و هندی ها با بوی گلها میسازند
انتخاب نام این عطر به درستی صورت گرفته است
چین , گلهای شرق ,شرق و...
عطری خوشبو و گلدار مطلق با بوی گلهای اسیای میانه و شرق اسیا
بخورهای هندی را زیاد بو کرده بودم ولی روایح تشکیل دهنده اش را نمیشناختم تا اینکه این عطر را خریدم و فهمیدم که گل مگنولیا رایحه اصلی بخورهای هندی هست
این عطر با پسوندی چین معرفی شده است حال انکه میتوانست با نام هند نیز معرفی شود
عطر مطلقا گلدار و فلورال هست و دنبال رایحه ای دیگر در ان نباشید.گل مگنولیا در صدر این عطر قرار دارد و بوی رز گلاب مانند در کنارش خودنمایی میکنه و روایح زیرین شناسنامه برجسته ای
ندارند بلکه همه انها یک بوی واحد شده اند و خود را با مگنولیا و رز قاطی نموده اند و با مرور زمان خود را شکار میکنن.بوی پودری نسبتا زیادی هم هست که سرچشمه اش نمیدونم از کجاست.ه
رایحه هلو هم بدرستی معرفی شده اما بوی برجسته ای ندارد
بوی هلو در هر حالت به بوهای گلی شبیه هست تا بوی های میوه ای و اینجا نیز گلی هست بر سر سایر گلها
اما شیرینی عطر نتیجه بوی کهربا هست.بوی شیرین ملایم که در هر حالت با گلها همراه شده و تلخی انها را زدوده است عطر بویی چرب مانند با حسی پودری و لطیف مخملی دارد
با گذشت زمان و فروکش کردن روایح اولیه یاس بالا میاد و خودنمایی میکنه , رز تقریبا کمرنگ میشود
ماندگاری متوسط به اما پخش بویش فقط در یک ساعت اول نسبتا خوب هست و بعد یک ساعت نزدیک به پوست میشه
هم کلاسیک و هم مدرن
ارزش خرید : 3.5/5
Eat Hindi + Rosewater + amber = Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

Loud florals with aldehydic tendencies, retro powder, come hither ambers dark pitted fruits, and soft wood. Fleur De Chine is not shy with making impressions but it's still ladylike. This is my "Oriental Chanel no.5". This smells old fashioned with an Asian flair, very feminine, powdery soapy and confident with a spicy twist. Beautiful and gorgeous fragrance!

perfume243
perfume243

El brillante en el invierno suave y clásico. ?

Uca
Uca

This fragrance is very lovely and complex. On me it doesn't get powdery at all. Even though I'm not a fan of the classics, I couldn't stay away from this one.

nexangelus
nexangelus

I love big juicy florals. And this is so to my taste!

When I first sprayed it, I was reminded of Ysatis which I love. They are not similar, as this is way more gentle. Not to say weak, but more delicate and a lot less bitter. This is a huge floral bouquet, but done exquisitely well. It is not loud like Ysatis and L'eau D'Issey. It does not make you want to cover your nose for fear of huge swathes of pollen flying up there. This is a soft peony and pink flower fragrance, even the rose has its moment. And I love roses. When dry it goes all soft, fuzzy and peachy. Not a very spicy one, but warm, soft, very floral, feminine and very, very pretty. I am trying to work out how I prefer this to Miracle, which I am not too keen on. I am even beginning to wonder if Ysatis isn't just a little too loud for me now.

I am so pleased, blind buy, but the reviews on here as well as the notes listed helped me to decide. Thanks Fragranticans...

p.s. On complete drydown this is more powdery than the big classics, so I guess there is some violet in here somewhere, pinks and purples for sure.

Charming exotic scent! I find it uneasy to define what I can smell because for me there are lots of exotic notes, unusual to European nose. However, the result is more than good! This scent is lovely!
If China smells like that, I surely have to visit this country!

christianne1
christianne1

I think Fleur de Chine is one of the most underrated Private Blends. You rarely hear it mentioned and it is actually one of my very favorites. It has a classic throw back feel but made modern. I think this could be a wonderful way to transition into the discovery of classics for those who can't quite warm up to stuff like Arpege and the like. It is like a happy medium. Beautifully floral with an aldehydic feel....with fruity peach and plum and a woody base that grounds it and keeps it from going too girly or "formal ball". It is elegant without being stuffy.

AveParfum
AveParfum

This is easily my favorite of his Orient collection and has fast become one of his best in general, on par with his Oud Wood or the highly underrated Champaca Absolute. It is an intense white floral mixed with a sweet mimosa-like scent (now I see magnolia is the likely culprit). It soon became a wonderful green and spicy hyacinth. I lingered in this moment that was like a sunny spring day with a refreshing breeze, as the hyacinth mixed with the scent of newly plucked tea leaves. An hour later the drydown caught me by surprise. It was quite powdery and maybe rosy, as it reminded me very much of the classic Ombre Rose mixed with a dollop of golden honey. This is an exquisite creation, ever-mutating and captivating me with every beautiful inhalation.

jtd
jtd

Tom Ford knows Asia better than I do, but I can't help but see his new ‘Atelier‘ collection as reflecting a white guy asian fascination. I can't imagine a Tom Ford product release without a fairytale marketing strategy, and Fleur de Chine and the others in this collection (Plum Japonais, Rive d’Ambre, and Shangai Lily) don’t disappoint.  The fairy tale is an unexamined take on the ‘mysterious orient / dragon lady / inscrutable east’. It relies on well-know imagery. It is based on irrational fear and defensiveness. It is rich with generations of bigotry. Effectively, it’s precision-built for the fashion industry. The trigger is in the name of the perfume. Say Shanghai Lily 3 times in a row while looking into a mirror and it just comes to life.

A wonderful thing about stereotypes is that they are timeless.  Ford's oriental bit is straight out of 1920s European Orientalism.  Not updating a stereotype to contemporary standards is a way of distancing one's self from the prejudice originally associated with the stereotypes and innoculating one's self against accusations of xenophobia and racial predjudice. That is, referring to old stereotypes is unlike actively engaging in stereotyping. It is historical. Literary. Post-modern. Post-colonial.

If only wishing could make it so.

Take-away # 1 is never look to fashion for a history lesson. Take-away # 2 should be apparent even to the fashion-minded. Smugly using anachronistic Asian references from the late-colonial sensibilility (the Ford line is called the "Atelier d'Orient" collection) doesn't do a thing toward defusing the racism of such language. It simply relies on exotic side of racism. The mystery, the exoticism.  Oooohh... The fetish. It would be more offensive if it weren't so tired.

The perfume:

Interesting for the fact that it starts like insecticide, and then grows creamy. A fascinating technical trick, I’m sure, but ‘creamy’ in this case is synonymous with ‘vague’. This olfactory pairing is much more clearly expressed in Calvin Klein Truth, a discontinued perfume available cheap online.

from scenthurdle.com

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

I wish the top notes would stay longer. Because the top note are an amazing blend that is so feminine and nice for summer. It is an adult refined fruity scent. What I mean is there are so many sweet fruity perfumes on the market right now. But they are too juicy sweet and don't have an grownup WOMAN vibe. To me this has the youthful fruit vibe, without the inexpensive mass market common everyone under 25 is smelling like scent. Lovely and on my list to buy a big one.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

This is very nice when blended with just about anything by Tom Ford Private Blends. It also seems to work well with most Guerlains. It is very pleasing mixed with another perfume. More so then worn alone.
I have noticed that the aroma that is left in the air after applying this particular parfum is very pleasant. Top few minutes its give or take if worn alone. But after about 10-15 minutes just lovely.
Sillage medium
Old Fashioned floral but with a twist.
Longivity fair about 4 hours for me maybe more.
Rating all in all 7/10.
Café rose is the best for me then Champaca absolute
Edit:
Fluer De Chine is wonderful if sprayed before or after most Tom Fords or even Amouage parfums, for an original unique elegant scent.
I find this puppy to be most delicate and is at its prettiest when mixed with others. It is unique.

lovescents999
lovescents999

I'm still amazed how beautiful Fleur de Chine is. It's soft in the opening, with the most wonderful delicate floral breeze, somewhat old fashioned and elegant, but in a good way. It's very feminine and it lingers around with the warmth of amber and the sweetness of plums. I think this gorgeous scent just made it to the top of my favorites.

I imagine wearing Fleur de Chine to my wedding.

aschiffm
aschiffm

i personally enjoy the initial spray the most- smells deep, oriental, nostalgic & womanly. after a little while, it wears into a nice asian soft & plump succulent floral scent. great if this is what you are looking for.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

Fleur de Chine is beautifully complex floral scent, slightly reminding me of Arpège or some Chanel creation. Exotic flowers, fresh citruses, tea and woodsy notes that`s what I get from Fleur de Chine. Its elegant and romantic, with a touch of retro vibe fragrance that lasts a long time and would be perfect for spring and summer. Those who appreciate classic feminine scents should give this one a try.

Germany
Germany

Fleur de Chine is Very classy, very grown up , ladylike and a tat old fashioned. Think 1930 s chanel and the elegant but fashion forward , Sophia Loren ,Grace Kelly ,and Audry Hepburn.
Fleur de Chine opens with a fresh soapy blast of aldehydes ( fragrantica fails to mention ) soapy orangey ,warm peachy, plumy and powdery. Goes through stages of different flowers like magnolia,hyacinth,and lilac all touched by warm woody oriental glamorous aldehyde cloud, the feel of a Hollywood movie star. The image of bright red lips. :) love it. Great for day and night! Balsamic , Fruity ,floral with a woody dry down.

Update , Fleur de Chine is an adehydic fresh fluffy cloud of classy elegance ,yet it has a very modern feel to it. I am so in love and I would call this my favourite besides Bois de Iles.
I agree with the comment above me, chanel creation. Personally similar to Bois de Iles. Chanel les exclusifs .

Michael1962

Fleur de Chine is a bright and fresh floral oriental which is so well blended that each floral note is unable to be easily detected but somehow they all play their part superbly.I find all TF florals to be more natural to my nose than say Bond No 9's Astor Place which I found rather synthetic,stale and almost room freshener in comparison.Definite unisex frag but steers slightly towards the feminine side.
Fantastic spring/summer scent which is not stereotypically floral and has real depth.I'm glad its in my collection :)

Michael1962

Fleur de Chine has finally arrived in Australia at David Jones in Sydney.I cant wait to sample this and all rest of the Atelier range first hand

STRAG
STRAG

I was happy that there was a perfume based on wisteria, but I was disappointed directly after smelling the perfume. It reminds me to "En passant" from Frederick Malle, which I love but tends to be more real wisteria. I think this one is a slightly less interesting interpretation.

katemcq
katemcq

This is beautiful, floral, fresh and slightly rainy. The rain might be the best part. Maybe too powdery for me.

meama
meama

114)I think Tom Ford has sens of humor. When he called his new creations Atelier d'Orient (east Workshop) it means the countless workshops in Asia that produce clothing with the logo of the brand of your choice above.
The four creations are all slightly modified copies of "small" classics from French niche perfumery (Lutens, Diptyque, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, ...).

Je pense que Tom Ford a de l'humour. Quand il nomme ses nouvelles créations Atelier d'Orient il veut dire ces innombrables ateliers en Asie qui produisent des vêtements avec le logo de la marque de votre choix dessus.
Les 4 créations sont toutes des copies légèrement modifiées de "petits" classiques de la parfumerie de niche française (Lutens, Diptyque, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier,...).

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Tom Ford Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Tom Ford Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine by Tom Ford. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Atelier d’Orient Fleur de Chine by Tom Ford represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.