Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily Tom Ford for women

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily Tom Ford for women
dislike

smoky

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily by Tom Ford is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. This is a new fragrance. Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Antoine Maisondieu. The fragrance features spicy notes, floral notes, olibanum, vanilla, bitter orange, pink pepper, black pepper, cloves, jasmine, rose, tuberose, vetiver, cashmere wood, benzoin, castoreum, labdanum, guaiac wood and incense.

Spicy Notes Floral Notes Olibanum Vanilla Bitter Orange Pink Pepper Black Pepper Cloves Jasmine Rose Tuberose Vetiver Cashmere Wood Benzoin Castoreum Labdanum Guaiac Wood Incense

Nu
Opium

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily Fragrance Reviews

onaona
onaona

"Masterpiece" trembles just on the tip of my tongue with Shanghai Lily. It's never a description I've used to describe a fragrance, as it must be reserved for the rarest of creations, and I do mean creation. Shanghai Lily is more than a fragrance, it is a bold, memory making experience. The absolute grandeur it evokes is almost humbling. It feels statuesque, poised, even majestic from top to bottom notes.

The clove is pervasive throughout, along with unidentifiable (to my nose) spices and floral notes. I can't say it's lily I smell, but maybe. It's not an easy note for me. It's 'perfumey' as well, but in the best way imaginable. You'll know you're wearing it. Your neighbor will know you're wearing it. Opium (of which I am not a fan) lovers will recognize it as a distant but kindred spirit.

The perfumer/artist responsible for Shanghai Lily has LIVED, loved....experienced beauty larger than himself. There is no other sane explanation for this masterpiece.

I do so wish it were MY masterpiece.

STRAG
STRAG

My god, I have to buy this!

lovesky
lovesky

All I can say is that Shanghai Lily is a divine creation. I never thought that flower notes and spice notes harmonize so well together! This is one of few fragrances where I really enjoy the cloves, the incense, peppery notes. They are actually my least favorite notes! I think that it is because of the lily note that is combined together with them. The vanilla is very quiet.

It's very feminine and elegant. On my skin it smells best in cold seasons and rainy days. Longevity could be better, I get about six hours.

Alex1984
Alex1984

Shanghai Lily is a lily centric version of YSL Nu (vintage), if you take out the orchid and jasmine and soften the spices. It seems that Tom Ford, apart from being the artistic director over at YSL when Nu was launched, always had a special spot for this particular fragrance. Enough to create an homage in his own line, which shares quite some DNA, but with his own touch. Nu in vintage edp is an incense-y spicy floriental, with a pronounced peppery-ness throughout its development. Shanghai Lily takes the central core of spices, blurs the edges with some animalic castoreum and labdanum, but instead of the intense jasmine of Nu, he adds one of my favorite white florals; lily.
It's inevitable comparing both, but what I find fascinating about Shanghai is that at the same time it feels like a tropical spicy oriental. The headiness that can sometimes be a part of white florals is tampered by the spices and the woody notes, but is never overshadowed. It feels as if I'm wearing a true spicy oriental a la Opium on a tropical beach. It could go very wrong but on my skin is going everything but. The resemblance to Opium is also very noticeable, as was with Nu when it was launched, something that Ford made clear when he took the challenge of creating what he thought would be a pillar fragrance for YSL. Vintage Nu is gone. It's getting harder to find, and the new rendition is quite sweet and floral to be a true re-release, even though it smells really nice. If you were or are a fan, Shanghai Lily pays respect in a very realistic way, but adding the unique Tom Ford twist without succumbing to cliches; Lily!
Sillage and longevity outstanding, 6 hours and counting! If it doesn't get discontinued, I think I have a candidate to replace Nu. And if you like true spicy floral orientals I urge you to give it a try. It works great now that it's slightly cooler and I guess in the heat it will just bloom. It also should smell amazing on anyone; woman, man or child.
PS: It feels at times as a super spiced Lys 41. If you are familiar with it, add spices and amp the indolic nature of Lily and you have an approximation!

Cyrus Smith
Cyrus Smith

I've always loved YSL Opium (for women). Shanghai Lilly share similarities with Opium. Once the floral opening quiets down, you end up with a beautiful creamy & spicy oriental potion. Maybe a bit more clove-sented than Opium. But both create this amazing warmth. Could I get away with this fragrance? Hmm? Probably not. To me, this represent a classy-chic woman scent. A remarkable fragrance.

A beautiful lily perfume. It is a lily soliflore on my skin, not much development--which is totally fine for a perfume of obvious quality. I smell pepper, clove, creamy vanilla, and woods, and there is dark incense in the heart. Sillage becomes softer and softer as time goes on, and I reckon that by the time it fades to a skin scent it somehow smells like suntan lotion or some kind of Nivea cream. Something about it is just a little too stuffy or old-fashioned.

I do not see this as fresh in any way, rather cozy and warm, and I can understand the comparison to Opium although they certainly don't smell the same. While this is a nice perfume, I admit I expected a bit more from Tom Ford. More development, some sort of surprise maybe. I still think his best floral is Champaca Absolute, with creamy champaca flowers that dry down to the most decadent, mouth-watering maron glace. Then after sampling Tuscan Leather, where we go from raspberry ashtrays to creamy suede, as I said I thought there might be some surprises here. Nope, just a lily soliflore. A nice one though!

Moflis
Moflis

if you want to buy something similar try Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lilly, it is really pretty, not so deep like Shanghai Lilly but shares some notes and for sure is less expensive.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

Take Yves Saint Laurent`s vintage Opium pure parfum extrait and mix it with Chanel`s vintage Bois de Isle pure parfum extrait and there you have Tom Ford`s Atelier d` Orient Shanghai Lily in sillage, longevity and all... I must say, an absolutely stunning perfume, and also, if you layer this juice with Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, or Plum Japonais, it's mindblowingly good...

Edit: So, I have read in numerous reviews about the Castoreum accord being non-existent (?), well, after many wearings of Shanghai Lily, I've found that the far drydown, about 10 hours in, the Castoreum becomes noticeable, but it's nicely subtle, just being slightly detectable creating a light `dirty` effect, ALMOST like Oakmoss, but just a smidgen funkier, now mind you, this animalic Castoreum is very soft, but if you're looking for it, it's there, and I must say that this funkiness is quite enjoyable!

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

I had a 100ml bottle of the vintage formulation of Opium when it was first created. It was gifted to my Mom who never wore it, so I did. At the time, I hadn't understood the concept of skin chemistry and how it affects the way a perfume wears. All I knew was that one drop of that fragrance in that concentration was almost lethal on me. I now know that skin projects spice to the level of defcon 5, and I have to be very careful with spice notes. That single 100ml bottle literally lasted me nearly 20 years wearing it only 1 drop at a time.

On my quest to find my perfect lily fragrance, I received a large decant of Shanghai Lily. I hadn't read the notes or the reviews prior to wearing it. When trying something new, I simply like to put it on and let the perfume reveal itself to me.

Within seconds I realized I had made a mistake. My customary 3 sprays made my eyes water. This is high quality, no corners cut, no expense spared juice! All I kept thinking was, "This is soooooooooo familiar..............I KNOW this fragrance........." Then, it hit me! This is Opium!!!!

I can appreciate that Mr. Maisondieu has done his best to add a tad of fullness and softness to this spicy oriental, and I'm sure this is gorgeous on the right chemistry. On me, not so much. Those who have never tried vintage Opium really must give this a try. Opium in its day was THE ULTIMATE powerhouse fragrance, and this is equally stunning.

Rotorwife
Rotorwife

This perfume will forever hold a special place in my heart. My son who is serving in the Navy surprised me with this as a gift. He said he picked out what he thought was perfect for me. And it is! I love the spicy floral richness which makes me feel sophisticated. The dry down settles into a warm scent that stays with me for hours.
I am so fortunate to have a great son that was willing to spend his hard earned dollars to buy me something so lovely. I will always love this scent!

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Yes there is powdery floral notes and yes there are vanilla and yes I definitely smell a warm spicy incense. But that do really not tell you even a fraction of this perfumes history.

Very many people have a relationship with the classic Opium from YSL, and many have an opinion on how a Tom Ford perfume smells.

For those of you who love Opium in its pure perfume form which today can only be tracked down in a vintage edition as it was created back in 1977 and early 80s. You do not need to read on, get of your chair and start to look to find a sample of this. I am pretty sure you will find this perfume absolutely wonderful. And a reinterpretation of what once was a stunning fragrance. Made a comparison with vintage opium perfume on the one hand and this on the other and they are not identical but they have a lot in common. Vintage Opium is more pungent in it's smell, more clove and a different kind of incense. And this is rounder and softer...and maybe a little sweeter.

You who think Opium is a perfume for old ladies who smoke too many cigars. Read on, for yes Opium (especially todays version, which I don't like at all) is definitely not for everyone, but here is a suggestion for an opium for today's modern women of all ages, it is big, balmy, soft, it is warm and it is a revelation of a perfume with many layers, but also just so well behaved and very easy to wear.

My personal view of how a Tom Ford perfume smells are proved wrong. This is a highly sexy but ohh so sophisticated perfume that contrary to what I've experienced with some TF fragrances, is not shouting but sings to me in velvety tones. Perfection. My personel favorite from Tom Ford, no question about it. Maybe my new signature. LOOOOOOOOVE.

LANIER
LANIER

Tom Ford’s Shanghai Lily from his Atelier d’Orient line is an exotic, stunning entry into the Oriental Floral garden. It is languorous, lithe and liable to lead to trouble. I have no idea if the inspiration behind this perfume is the Marlene Dietrich character of Shanghai Lily from the Josef von Sternberg film “Shanghai Express” (1932). If not, well, this perfume certainly carries all the mystery and intrigue that is found in Dietrich’s portrait of a lady who one character describes as a “Coaster, a woman who lives by her wits along the China coast.”

The perfume is loaded with more notes than Lily’s steamer trunk is filled with French unmentionables. They come at you all at once in a locomotive rush. Bitter orange, pink and black pepper, cloves, spices and incense kick of the exotic journey, I get a definite mince meat pie accord here that is delicious and long lasting.

In the center of the perfume there is exotica galore as the perfume continues its excursion along your pulse points. Floral notes push in on the opening notes layered over with a sensual labdanum, jasmine, rose and a hint of tuberose. It goes together with the spicy mix so well. And the peppers and cloves laid out in the opening meet up with olibanum, a light layer of barely perceptible vanilla and benzoin keep it from being too pretty.

The dry down at journey’s end is a solid base of cashmere wood, sassy castoreum, guaiac wood and vetiver. This combo keeps this perfume sexually ambiguous and as enticingly daring as Marlene Dietrich was in a man’s tux in the early 1930’s. It is a well blended perfume that works to the advantage of both men and women. Lasting on my skin a good ten hours and leaving a va va voom sillage for those looking to make an entrance. And what an entrance this perfume makes. Pure star power all the way from opening credits to fade out, as directed by Tom Ford this Shanghai Lily is a box office hit.

SHANGHAI LILY BY TOM FORD Four Gold Stars ****

(FOR THE MYSTERY BEHIND MY REVIEW CHECK OUT MY BLOG, SCENTS MEMORY)

aokiwen
aokiwen

beautiful one, i notice incense and vanilla, and it lasting well

Michael1962

Just got this beauty as a Christmas present and couldn't be happier.
Such an opulent and spicy wet floral which is perfect for any time of the year.Its already one of my favourite Tom Fords :)

kazewayz
kazewayz

Shanghai or how I like to call it "Shanga," has a very unique twist to it. I get tons of spices, of bitter orange, a hint of cloves... And in the middle of these notes I pick the incense with the florals, and makes it a very well made fragrance, which has it's personality to it. The dry down stays fairly bitter and incensy, with the spices toned down and the florals directing the whole movie. I wish that it lasted longer or at least that it maintained that thickness and creaminess that enamored me in the first hour of it.
Yes, I like it.

Wise-222
Wise-222

This fragrance is so smooth and harmonious in its components, which is not entirely new, but Tom Ford and perfumer added some flavorings to this fragrance, which make perfume "Dreamer" attractive and quiet and for the projection is medium and for longevity is great for five hours straight and then begins to calm down gradually.

Germany
Germany

Smokey, sweet ,spicy ,powdery! Delightful , opens with a small dose of aldehydes , its a white floral with a dark side , opening notes of jasmine tuberose and morphes into peppery slightly velvety powdery olibanum, (,francinsens )Cloves and orange mingle in the background , it has a carnal fleshy floral odor mainly due to the tuberose and the Labdanum and the castereum with a slightly waxy smokey feel to it. . An oriental floral with an animal edge, suitable for day and night and anytime anywhere. I also love the vanilla in this .
This is becoming one of my favourite Tom Fords. It's such a great warm , sweet animalistic lily / tuberose , I can't get enough of it. Its addictive. Love the cloves and the animal note as well as the Labdanum vanilla dry down. The perfect winter fragrance of all times.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

When I sprayed this fragrance, I nearly sold it in five minutes until the dry down kicked in. WOW, what a beautiful scent trail this has and although the opening is a bit feminine with intense spicy floral notes, it quickly changes and the floral notes take a back seat. Powder, incense and vanilla take over and I do believe that it becomes suitable for a man to wear. The dry down is absolutely unisex and within 5-10 minutes, this fragrance became a permanent keeper. Do not make the mistake to dismiss this fragrance too quickly, give it a chance and one full wearing!
Love it!

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Shanghai Lilly in a nutshell smells of someone that just hopped out of the bath, slathered themselves in a rich , white floral oil, and , all of that is mixing with a simple bar soap they used to bathe with initially. Fantastic scent! Smells very elegant somehow , and would be appropriate for evenings imo.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily is exotic, opulent, erotic scent with great scent trail. It has floral nuances but I mainly get spices, incense and vanilla, making it perfectly wearable by both genders. This scent has a specific warmth due to spices and its oriental seduction is inevitable. Please do try

Cams
Cams

Stunningly beautiful fragrance which does not announce your presence as you enter a room but has a subtle, distinct, elegant and discrete presence.

Michael1962

really enjoying my sample of Shanghai Lily but agree that there is no real progression from top notes and beyond and is perhaps one dimensional.
Its as if all the notes are loaded from the get go and gradually fade as the hours pass.
Not saying that this is a bad thing as the quality and depth of the lily is fantastic and seamlessly blended with the other florals,pepper and spices.I sense a really wet lily dripping with rainwater after a spring shower and prefer this composition to stablemate TF Lys Fume (and feel that Shanghai is also more unisex).

Soft,sensual and dreamy for a spring/summer day and may well be my next Tom Ford :)

Jellybean
Jellybean

omg, Tom Ford needs to stop impressing meee!!!!
This fragrance is heavenly good :)
Mhhmmhhmmmm, that's my first impression! This is a beauty masterpiece.
It's surreal nature like nostalgic, pleasant, comforting and feminine scent.
Cedar with soft floral notes, clean, slightly smokey and powdery. Again that smoked wood you just want to cuddle around. Moderate longevity, hangs close to the skin. Puts a smile on my face :)
Looooooove it!
Definite future purchase! The price is ridiculous, but I'll make it happen :)

theboynextdoor
theboynextdoor

Shanghai Lily

I am wearing right now on my forearms and I am captivated by its soft, rich essence.

At first spray, I thought "This ain't me."

Too floral, too whatever.

But within minutes, it's warmth and desire begin to appear.

It's so soft and sensual, all I want to do is lay in bed all day with a lover cuddling and embracing eachother's skin.

It's a perfect fragrance for those special, intimate moments.

It's not sexy in the typical exciting way. It's a seductive whisper telling you to come closer and never leave.

I can't stop smelling it.

In Love,

The Boy Next Door

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

From the get go this opens with a floral bouquet of lilies which a little vanilla has been added to slightly sweeten the smell. Within this feminine bouquet I can smell jasmine with a little spice and a dash of incense and pepper.

There is no denying that it smells nice though a bit one dimensional, I could not wear it as it crosses my too feminine thresh hold.

finanna
finanna

On my skin the oopening is a peppery bouquet of white lilies, accompanied by soft whiffs of ylang-ylang and jasmine. The most interesting aspect in this fragrance is the lily-pepper combo, but unfortunately the spices fade away quite fast. The lily-dominated drydown is pleasant and lasts about 7h on me. The opening is quite strong, but otherwise the sillage is moderate.

I liked my sample a lot and would be happy to wear this scent if someone gifted me a bottle. For the time being, I'll get my lily fixes from Lys Mediterranee:) I recommend this to lily&Tom Ford fans: this does not have the same weird minty note as Lys Fumee. Not very original (except for the opening), but very pleasant to wear.

meama
meama

113)Made in China flower
Another Atelier d'Orien copy-paste from a famous older perfume.
Very green opening, aldehyde, who gives rise to a lot of references from the classic French perfumery. The evolution is a bunch of milky white flowers and here we are exactly with Fleurs des Comores from Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. Jasmine and ylang-ylang with hints of fruity notes and a very vanilla base.
Re going to discover the original if you like this one, it's the tier price.
I think Tom Ford has sens of humor. When he called his new 4 creations Atelier d'Orient (east Workshop) it means the countless workshops in Asia that produce clothing with the logo of the brand of your choice above.
The four creations are all slightly modified copies of "small" classics from French niche perfumery (Lutens, Diptyque, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, ...).

Encore un Atelier d'Orient copié collé d'un célèbre parfum plus ancien.
Ouverture très verte, aldéhydée, qui fait surgir beaucoup de références issues la parfumerie féminine française. L'évolution tend vers un bouquet de fleurs blanches laiteuses et nous voilà exactement avec Fleurs des Comores de Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. Jasmin et Ylang-Ylang avec des notes de fruits et une base très vanillée.
De nouveau allez découvrir l'original si vous aimez, c'est le tier du prix.

armaniboy
armaniboy

A very interesting opening that slightly reminded me of opium-femme.as it developed it reminded me of ysl NU mixed with private blend-velvet gardenia and sahara noir.A very nice and sexy smelling fragrance that hasn't much to say though.medium silage and longevity I think I'll pass on this one.

Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily by Tom Ford 4.33 out of 5 based on 165 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Tom Ford Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Tom Ford Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily by Tom Ford. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Atelier d'Orient Shanghai Lily by Tom Ford represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.