Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Sahara Noir Tom Ford for women
dislike

smoky
Sahara Noir Tom Ford for women Pictures

A new fragrance that is part of Tom Ford's signature collection (which includes Black Orchid, Violet Blonde, White Patchouli, etc.) has gone on sale in May 2013.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir is an Ode to incense and is inspired by the traditions of the Middle East. Tom Ford said: "Middle Eastern culture has an extraordinary appreciation for the luxurious, emotional and memorable qualities of fragrance; perfume is worn there in a way that feels very familiar to me. Sahara Noir is my interpretation of this heritage. It is a deep and substantial perfume that caresses the senses."

Sahara Noir is inspired by the mystery, beauty and luxury of the Middle East. Tom Ford decided to focus on incense, a highly valued ingredient which symbolizes respect and devotion and has been used in religious ceremonies for centuries. The balsamic and resinous shades of incense remind us of distant lands and stimulate the senses like a breath of desert wind.

Sahara Noir is an oriental-woody scent based on incense. Bitter orange, Levantine cypress (known as one of the plants growing in the gardens of the 1001 Arabian Nights) and cistus essence Orpur® (Orpur® are high-quality natural ingredients of extraordinary purity, developed by Givaudan) open the composition. The heart blends frankincence essence Orpur®, cinnamon, cool papyrus extract, rose absolute from Morocco and Egyptian jasmin with honeyed and animalic shades of beeswax from Burma.The base centers around warm amber notes - made of labdanum absolute and ambreinol (an intense natural labdanum fraction), cedar, frankincense resin, benzoin, vanilla, oud and balsams. Sahara Noir is available as 50 ml Eau de Parfum.

Bitter Orange Calamus Cypress Labdanum

Egyptian Jasmine Moroccan Rose Incense Papyrus Beeswax Cinnamon

Labdanum Benzoin Vanilla Cedar Amber Agarwood (Oud) Egyptian balsam

Amber Absolute

Sahara Noir Fragrance Reviews

AndranikTP
AndranikTP

Got a sample of this and man this is quality but i cant wear this. Maybe when im 45 (25 currently) but maybe not even then. I strongly get the church smell. I wear fragrances for myself but I can't imagine a woman smelling this on me and thinking its sexy in any way. It is masculine, so why was this only marketed towards women IDK.

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

This is... I don't know. This is a very interesting but strange fragrance. I appreciate the deep thoughts and ideas Tom Ford has put in it, it's a very layered perfume with a strong independent personality. But to be honest, as much as I recognise the art, I dislike the fragrance.

Probably my opinion is going to be unpopular, but to me Sahara Noir = the Westminster Cathedral. A collection of powerful incense and dusty bitter notes. I can't tell them apart, because the whole experience is so overpowering I can't get past the idea of old, stale churches. The smell reeked from the nozzle of the bottle so I shouldn't have needed to test it,, yet I did, hoping that my skin chemistry would do some justice to it. It didn't. Tried to wash it off three times since then and it's still loud as ever, so the good news is that the lasting power is enormous.

I'll lay the idea of Sahara Noir to rest for now, but I know that one day I'm going to be curious about it again. We'll see how the next meeting will go in a couple of years.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Had I not been recently introduced to Comme des Garcons' Avignon I would probably think Sahara Noir a great deal church-ier than I do. In fact a lot of the perfumes I've been sampling lately have been very heavy on incense (Serge Lutens' Chergui, Amouage Interlude Woman, Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blond), so maybe that's why I can smell so many things in this that make it more complex than incense, and not so much the mise-en-scène of a church.

Which is not to say it doesn't start out smelling like incense, because it does, but very briefly. Then it smells of a very nice dusty amber, tinged after another half an hour with cinnamon. A few hours after than I can smell oranges and spices, a little like potpourri, except that I hate potpourri, and this is very nice.

Come to think of it, Sahara Noir smells like Halloween. All it needs is a little chocolate and it would be All Hallows' Eve in a bottle.

NoirEternal
NoirEternal

When I saw Catholic Church relations I got nervous but LORD this is one of the sexiest fragrances ever

JPS1979
JPS1979

I recently smelled this for the first time. I could only wear this as a layering fragrance and only at night time. Definitely a masculine fragrance here in the US, but women could also pull it off. It sent me back to the Catholic Church immediately when I sniffed the bottle.

Gorgeous bottle. I just had to try this! And I am not disappointed because this scent is very well made. Too spicy to be in my style, but still, I like it. Pleasant oriental warmness, I would say.
If you love oriental scents, you will love it.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

When I sprayed this frag on my skin, I absolutely fell in love with the deep aroma of incense (burning wood) which makes it so different in a really desirable. I agree with those who say that it gives them a vib of ancient, old church etc etc... all in a good way. Tom has elevated this fragrance which stimulates your senses making it an ABSOLUTE BEAST!!!!!!!!
If someone told me that this fragrance is categorized as a woman's frag, I would of said... get the #!@$ out of here!!
The other notes of amber and labdanum help to give it a warm vib which also soften the heavy aroma Frankinsence
Longevity and Silage are both excellent lasting well past 12hrs. ..I have yet to find another one of his frag's to last as long.
Overall thoughts,
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE woodsy-spicy-oriental aroma which makes it that much more attractive. In fact I can't help it that this fragrance brings me back to my childhood days sitting around a fire pit roasting marshmallow...going to bed and waking up the next morning with the smokey aroma of burning wood still on my clothes.
To sum up this fragrance it's unique and definitely high quality. Rating this fragrance less then 10/10 or ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ would be injustice!

Luforge

Love the spicy frankincense opening in this one and the warm smoky tobbaco/peeper dry down.

Excellent projection and silliage, a few sprays and last for 12+hours
Very sophisticated! It's a dark, warm, sultry and little dirty but extremely sexy!..

Women just luv it!!

Try It, i dare you.!?(winks)

louanna
louanna

I was kind of apprehensive of this, when I first smelled it out of the bottle, that I put it down, not even giving it a try. Today I finally sprayed it on my arm. Well, in my opinion, it is very good. Maybe my skin's chemistry is just right for it, but on me it is quite subtle...I would have to stick my nose close to skin to fully experience it. It does remind me of incense smell at Catholic church though. Not something that I would wear often, but depending on my mood I will.
So, I would not buy the whole bottle, but I will keep my 15ml sample.

everlong
everlong

Honest review: this fragrance is so bad (not in good way), it made me gag! followed with a massive headache

I LOVE Tom Ford, and this perfume is sooooo disappointing! It's nowhere near as good or as dark as many of the private collection perfumes. What I get from this is way too much Iso-E-Super in the drydown. It starts out promising, with some spice and some woods, perhaps a little rose, but sillage is almost non-existent. If you want a perfume of this nature, Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain is so much better. I think Tom Ford was trying to accomplish something very similar, to mimic the sandy desert--dry, woody, amber, spicy...but in this instance it doesn't work. This was a blind-buy, and I am going to get rid of it pronto.

smellME
smellME

Tried this for the first time at Frankfurt airport in April.
Quite unique smell indeed.
Despite all the interesting notes listed , what I get is a thick dusty almost sandy sweet tar smell. Probably papyrus and insence create that smell together with the balmy notes.
This is the warm tar note I get when strolling the rocky beaches of the swedish coast looking for interesting things the tide brought in...
This is more a memory than a perfume.
Driftwood infused with tar , warmed by the sun really needs that certain moment to be worn.
Even if a thick sweet honeyed earth smell like this , probably is to be worn in winter- Summer is what it reminds me of.
Can't say I love it or will love wearing it,
but I will keep my summer memory like a wholy grail,
to be realeased once in a while like the lamp of Aladdin.
Tom Ford perfumes are certainly evoking a lot of emotions and memories
though haven't found the perfect one to wear - yet.

joe70062
joe70062

Awful. Just awful. I have read reviews where SN is compaired to Avignon, and even Kyoto by CdG. What in the world are they smelling?!? This caused me to have an immediate (!) headache. Where Tom Ford scores high for Neroli Portifino and that other, oh what's the name...Violet Something, this crashes right out of the gate. No joke. I would rightly compare it to that Robert Piguet Baghari. Almost identical from start to finish. Don't buy either one!

elizzile
elizzile

I purchased a small sample of Saraha Noir through eBay and am questioning its authencity after reading the other comments above which would lead me to believe I would love it, too. To me it smells of turpintine, nothing more...

johnnybr0801
johnnybr0801

Fantastic interpretation of the middle-eastern perfume culture! Something is very fucked up at the marketing division of Estee Lauder if they think this should be marketed for women! I think 9 out of 10 women would vote no for this scent… anyway, another masterpiece from TF! the projection is not that nuclear like Black Orchid but this is a very, very well blended incense scent and I would definitely wear this in summer, hot summer nights! Well done! Niche quality in the upper designer scale!

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

Oh, how I love thee! This winter delight is in my top 10 ATM. The best incense fragrance I have found so far and it blows Amouge away in my humble opinion. The way the cedar and incense burn together on your nose is like a Kama sutra of passion. My girlfriend at least pretends that she loves this one and that's good enough for me. I love Tom Ford, but this May be his best work of all time.

I understand that it isn't universally acceptable, in fact it is downright fierce and dark. You wouldn't wear this on a job interview :-). When the situation arises to put this on, this desert flame is going to light you up!

My Score: 10

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I smelled this before in the store and loved it.. It was unique and exotic smelling.. I finally got a tiny sample and wore it today, unfortunately I got car sick while wearing it and I was not able to enjoy it, but I will wear more and learn more about this beauty..

elenmart
elenmart

Wow, I am astonished by this perfume's similarity to the church smell. It is exactly the same smell when they have processions in Roman Catholic churches with priests swinging these... round buckets with incense coming out of it.

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

There's nothing subtle about this one. It's bold. It lasts for hours on the skin. For me cinnamon was quite overpowering after a while and although leather not listed, there was something distinctly 'pongy', maybe the beeswax. Not sure if I like it right now but i think it's one of those ones I'll have to try again...

Sheks
Sheks

A great blend of incense, spice and aromatic oils..... simply fabouslous.....

sistercurare
sistercurare

I am shocked at how much like this perfume, as it simply isn't my type. But then again, you, people, smell labdanun, i smell honey and oranges and vanilla and frankincense.Body chemistry is such a weird thing. It is super long lasting, I can smell it after 7 hours. This is the third day I have used the sample and I love it. Would I ever buy it? Certainly not. But it is definitely am interesting perfume. More versatile than that chocolatey bestseller Black Orchid.

MARFUOFFICIAL
MARFUOFFICIAL

THE BEST INCENSE PERFUME , GREAT LONGEVITY 12-13 HOURS... CDG AVIGNON 7-8 HOURS... MONTALE FULL INCENSE 4-6 HOURS...

darksome
darksome

Sahara Noir acts like a bad stripper. Before being well heated up by the very boozy, resinous charisma it quickly drops all of it clothes, without hesitation presenting us it's best attributes, showing no shame.

If you want quickly a loud performance of church incense and nothing more this is one of the best choices for you. Totally unisex or even too masculine for some girls.

Marciu
Marciu

SN is a very dark, resinous and smoky fragrance on my skin.

It's a perfect blend of woods and incense. I imagine myself that's how Bois Marocain could smell like. It's also a bit dark and mysterious in the same time.

Longevity and sillage are both out of this world. Both perfect - it lasts on me easilly 15 hours.

It could be a Private Blend release. It's that good.

Oh, and by the way. IMO it's an unisex fragrance, but fits better for men...

hanson26
hanson26

This is a GREAT incense. Probably the best incense I have tried, and that include the CdG incense series. That said, it's such a perfect, literal interpretation that I'm not sure I'd ever really wear it. It one of those fragrances that I love to smell, but don't want to smell like. It's just not even really perfume like if you get what I'm saying, it's basically pure incense. Also, this is easily unisex, if not slightly masculine. I wouldn't buy more than a decant because I simply can't think of many occasions to wear this, which is too bad because the bottle is stunning. If you absolutely love incense and want to smell like it, this is for you.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

I used to burn Incense for years, literally lighting one after the other, continuously, every day, all day, because that's how much I love the smell of Incense, but not cheap Incense, quality Indian Incense... For the hard core Incense lovers, you know exactly what I'm talking about. This obsessive-compulsive act of, flick, burn, blow out... flick, burn, blow out. Unfortunately, and fortunately, I got burnt out (no pun of course) from continuously having to dust my tiny 500 square foot apartment from all the smoke residue and continuous pile up of ashes in the vicinity of the Incense burner, and from the taxing act of flick, burn, blow out. Until I moved into a new apartment, it never dawned on me that everything I own just reeked to high heaven of Incense, and the smoke had permeated everything from years and years of the continuous burning of Incense, but everything smelled awesome, and still does! My own Mom suggested I stop, due to the Incense permeating every cell in my body as well (which she despised so much the smell of her own Son stinking like that) and I'm more than sure that other people either thought I absolutely stunk, or was the whitest Middle Easterner they'd ever layed eyes on, but I didn't care, because I love Incense that much. So moving forward from my Incense obsession, I bought Sahara Noir based on all of the reviews of how it's an amazingly strong Incense olfactory overload nuclear bomb, and... that it is!. Now I can finally get my Incense fix and smell like it at the same time...

Let me start by saying that you have to 100% love Incense to fully appreciate Sahara Noir to the fullest, or it'll more than likely make you nautious and throw up a little in your mouth. I get almost absolutely zero of that über cool scent pyramid up above there, I wish I did, but I don't. Just the Grand Canyon filled to the brim with Labdanum and Frankincense, and then a little extra Frankincense sprinkled on top of more Frankincense, with just a mere hint of smoke surrounding another mountain of Labdanum next to the Grand Canyon, that just happens to be stuffed with, well... Frankincense, and I'm giddy at the fact that I can smell the Oud in this mix, and it`s just enough to provide the tiniest crusty and grungy edge, but the Oud nuances only become recognizable into the far drydown. This is the highest quality Frankincense perfume that one can buy. It's mind numbingly linear, from the first spray from the atomizer to the very end, which is far away mind you... The exact same smell, but I absolutely love this perfume for that. So if you're expecting this perfume to go thru some weird and neat transformations on your skin, welp, sorry, it's not going to happen. The first 45 minutes of Sahara Noir are loaded with depth, but the drydown comes immediately after that which is where Sahara Noir flattens out quite a bit, but still highly enjoyable. Sillage is just above skin level, and I couldn't even imagine Sahara Noir having massive sillage, it would just be overwhelming and would ruin the whole experience. To me this smells somewhat similar to burning Nag Champa, Super Hit, and Patchouli Incense simultaneously, but smothered in Frankincense. Longevity is ridiculous, 24+ hours, after a shower, and then some. I can see how many people are turned off at the idea of dropping a buck 50 on a measely 50ml, but trust me, with the insane tenacity and very high niche quality of this gorgeous juice, it's worth it, because you only need 2 or 3 sprays (I lay into the atomizer) and that's it, and in all actuality, this is really a Private Blends in different clothing, honest. So if you look at it this way, it doesn't hurt as bad... You're really getting a 50ml Private Blend for $60 less than full price, but the quality meets or even exceeds what Sahara Noir delivers, and I really wish that this juice `was` a Private Blend so I could buy the 250ml dacanter, because it's that freakin` good. You've GOT to love Incense, or atleast be open to loving it to fully appreciate Sahara Noir, and that stunningly handsome golden flacon? I'd spend the 150 for that alone, and as a little side note, the sticker on the bottom of the flacon says `Made in Switzerland ` ... interesting.

To sum up this Incense, er, ugh... I mean perfume, it doesn't even seem possible that you're spraying on a perfume! From what is released onto your skin, and what your olfactorys smell and you're brain perceives that it's smelling is really confusing. I mean, it`s atomized out as just straight Incense and it seems like the atomizer should be billowing out smoke, it's wild, and you can just see the high concentration of absolute oils where you spray onto your skin, because it leaves a big greasy spot that stays shiny for quite some time, and let me add that the absolute oils in this juice are of the highest quality. I'm not one to promote the layering of perfumes, but if you really wanna get crazy and smell like you just rolled outa` India, layer some Sahara Noir with Café Rose, Santal Blush, Plum Japonais, or even better yet, all 3 of those juices with Sahara Noir and the results are ridiculously good. I think I might have hit the pinnacle of the olfactory Nirvana I've been searching for, but if you really wanna get stupid... Sahara Noir and Amber Absolute, the results are mindblowing!

Edit: After a handful of proper wearings, the far drydown of Sahara Noir is very skanky, dirty, and the Oud really comes out leaving a definite barnyard/poo trail, and it's honestly the Oud I've been searching for, and I firmly believe to get the most out of this perfume, you need to layer it, because Sahara Noir is pretty funky on it's own, but I absolutely love this juice with a passion!!

lauren.gonzalez.963
lauren.gonzalez.963

I sprung for this on a whim and Im hooooked! Like other have said its ALL smokey religious ritual-y smelling goodness. I am not at all religious (raised catholic) but because of my upbringing I probably associate this with macabre funeral stuff, which fits perfect because I love skulls and all that. At any rate, Its predominately incensey and I get a little cedar/patchouli but not much else on my skin. It lasts about 10 hours or so, and thankfully MUCH longer on my skin then anything ever has. The only downside to this is the price, as $150 is quite a bit for a 1.7oz bottle, but If I didnt love the notes so much, it wouldve gone back.

For those who love Kate Walsh's Boyfriend, you will probably love this too. Boyfriends notes are similar, but much more sweet and general. Once I caught a whiff of this, I felt like I had gone from regular T.V. (boyfriend) to super high def. 3D! Its less sweet and more dry, which makes the smokey scent feel so much more real. Really BEAUTIFUL and worth a try!

Ginger Kitty
Ginger Kitty

I accidently wandered in to a quiet sumptious Catholic church a few weeks ago in the South of France. Enticed by the evocative calmness of the fresh incense wafting through the street from the wide open ornate wooden church front door. I was smitten with passion by intense memorable fragrance moments that my heart beckoned for more, so on my return home I tested this delectable scent of Tom Ford's and immediately added it to the want (must must have !!) list. It is the closest match to my experience - It instantly takes me to the place where I last breathed deeply and sighed with blissful contentment.

Thank you to everyone who had previously written a comment below. I have to agree the feedback about the excellent longevity and silage.

Might be a tad pricey for some people, but in all honesty for me it is worth every penny. Had the blend been stronger, I might not have been able to enjoy it unless there has been a few hours of dry-down to soften it's deep melliferous intensity.

Pure quality: 9.5/10
(would have been 10/10 were it not for the current asking price for 50ml. Ask the same price for 75ml and there would be no issue whatsoever).

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

There is something common in almost all of Tom Ford's excellent perfumes... They are all more or less unisex!

Sahara noir comes as the perfect Middle estern scent. It's spiritual and pure! For us... Middle eastern, can find this scent anywhere we go! Especially in churches, mosques and other religious sites. For me, it smells exactly like the insence we use in churches to purify and bless our souls.

The opening is very bold... Insence and cinnamon immediately came to my mind and it all gets better and better with time... Rose, oud and all kind of resins comes to play but subtly. The insence remains the star of the show, the cinnamon disappears in the drydown but it's a very very very pleasant smell... It makes me feel home even though I am home! I don't associate it as a sexy smell because it holds a religious context in my mind!

Tom Ford is a brand that I am just discovering... I must admit... This guy makes extremely unique scents with quality and art!

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The following review is really for my notes only, its very brief and leaves out a ton of details. Im just typing something that I remember each by. Im sure I will disrespect someones favorite fragrance too.

Tons of frankincense! Very similar to Bond No.9 Silver. Nice!

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Absolutely lovely incense perfume. Not a candied girly incense but grown-up, mysterious with a sincere aura. Very dense, very thick and resinous. Amber fans could easily love SN and those in love with incense even more.
Only in the drydown I detect a slight amber note similar as in "Amber Absolute" but otherwise from the beginning it is all about incense on me. Burnt incense, lots of it.
The sillage is fine, as with almost all Tom Ford scents the dosage makes the poison. If you apply carefully SN will be a pleasure.
Longevity ? No issues at all. 6h+ (I would not want more as I prefer a scent to be washed off with my evening shower).
Overall result : one of the best Tom Fords I have known so far. Beautiful bottle, too.

Nekky
Nekky

I got it as a gift yesterday. I like it because it's different from my usual sweet, floral perfumes. It reminds me of Dubai mall. Most people in Dubai smell like that. It also reminds me of comme des Garcons, though i prefer SN to the latter.

Anavrin
Anavrin

I feel something ancient here
Gloomy
Funeral
Old church
wood

Love it

missmoa
missmoa

Love it. My first thought when I smelled this one was old oily smokey leather, and I was really surprised that there is no leather note in it. This is how I imagine an old time smithy, or a workshop where they made saddles, smelling: dark, smokey, heavy leathery. I think this perfume would be at it's best a fall evening, maybe some of the last days you can sit outside in the evening. Great if your not into floral or sweet scents cause it's quite far from it, and unisex leaning towards the masculine side. My boyfriend loves it and it's great on him. Longevity and silage is both great.

erin doors
erin doors

I got a tester for moi and decided it was too masculine for my skin and heavy on woody notes so I gave it to my boyfriend and we both agree its great on him!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This scent spills out a completely 'Old World' Biblical nostalgia, and reminds me very much of Catholic church incense to begin with.
Sharp and smooth, warm and spicy, with a distinct biting greenness of cypress in the opening. The amber creeps up slowly, softening and creating a haze over the initial more herbal qualities. Even though they don't smell quite the same, the only other scent which has given me the same feeling is L'Occitane's Eau D'Iparie. Sahara Noir is surely unisex too.
The sillage definitely peters out after the first 2-3 hours and it becomes less interesting as it enters the dry down, not too dissimilar to many other high quality amber scents. It's also not the usual Tom Ford bomb when it comes to staying power, lasting maybe 8 hours.
I love LOVE the opening and really like this scent on the whole, however considering the price of this main line TF release (strange, I think) and that it's not quite as potent as the Tom Ford we usually pay for, it may turn out to be a miss for me - worth a decant, but not a FB. I think there are other less expensive, equally good options.

vivik
vivik

I am getting this beautiful comforting olibanum incense of a Coptic church in old Cairo

ecerusen
ecerusen

agree with @nezi , its totally arabic and middle eastern. you can feel it.
on my skin, at the opening, it smells like "tawse". i'm like "uhmm... well, it smells good actually, but i dont think that i use this". i cant categorize it as "good" or "bad", strange smell, it pulls you in a strange way.

actually i can understand why people find it sexy. it is sexy but this sexuality is instinctive, animalistic. like sex without emotion.

after 3 hours, it lose its sharpness and turns warm, hot sand. and suddenly flashforwards came to my mind. i'll buy this for my wedding night. because this form of this scent, is like lingerie which made of cashmere, and i dont want to wear anything but this. i should be naked with my hubbie when i wear this.

summarize : every single cloth while you're using this perfume, is unnecessary, redundancy. because it becomes integrated with your skin and it becomes your cloth :)

INSTAEDIT : I WANT THIS FRAG SO BAD!

nezi
nezi

Coming from a middle easterner, Tom Ford was right on the money for being inspired by the middle east. This is middle east in a bottle! This scent is luxurious, bold, beautiful incense. There are lots of notes but no single note stands out alone to me. Perfectly blended, addictive, spicy, and long lasting.

However, to me personally its not as "mysterious" nor "sexy" because I am middle eastern and for the most part this is a well rounded scent to sum up our culture (a very familiar scent my whole life). I still think it is gorgeous and although it is made for "women", men can definitely pull this off without a doubt. In fact, the reason I didn't buy it just yet is because it reminds me of Friday prayer at the mosque. This is a scent I associate with prayer (which is not a bad thing at all), but most of my male family members smell this way on their way to prayer. This scent to me resembles purity.

None the less, I think it is a real glimpse into middle eastern heritage and if that means exotic and sexy, then whatever works for you. For those who don't like Frankincense, this one is probably not going to float your boat.

Danziger
Danziger

Tom Ford - Sahara Noir = Rouge Bunny Rouge - Embers
I'm impressed..

RosemaryVesper
RosemaryVesper

One of the only fragrances I've ever been completely stunned by when I first smelled it. It's pure incense, with real warmth. It's golden, but dark and veiled. Certainly not apologetic or retiring, and the kind of thing which alters my entire manner when I'm wearing it. I'm a Guerlain girl really, and this reminds me slightly of Shalimar (the pure perfume) but it dries down less sweetly than Shalimar does. It's intoxicating in the best possible way... try it!

tara2013
tara2013

I love this parfume. I feel so calm after spray on my skin. Even i can sleep with it.
It is so unique. On my skin, it blend very well ,smell soft and powdery.
My husbund really love this scent. Definitly buy it
I love Tom Ford's parfume, suit with my nose,skin and my character.

movs
movs

This perfume was love at first sniff.
I have for a long time searched for an incense perfume and this is it.
Sahara Noir is pure frankincense and it smells like a catholic church after mass.

The incense has a resinous and woody carachter and it is blended to perfection with an almost smoky cedar note. Even though this perfume is all about incense it still seems complex. I don’t pick up any floral notes or any particular spices, they are only there to build up the incense, making it interesting and mysterious.

When I wore SN for the first time, I felt almost certain that most people would find it too loud or too unusual to use as perfume but no one has commented on it except from my husband who thinks I smell exotic. I consider it therefore a close to the skin scent with a moderate longevity.

NS is a very unusual and complexe perfume. It is just as much the scent of a fiery black haired fortune teller as of a melancholic madonna because I find it both demonic and angelic. It is the scent of spirituality. It's dark and mysterious, gothic and exotic. It is beyond gender.
I highly recommend this addictive treasure to all frankincense lovers.

In 3 words: FRANKINCENSE – MYSTERIOUS - SMOKY

divan.badenhorstbotha
divan.badenhorstbotha

Clouds part....the sun shines through.....angel trumpets.....confetti rains down and the fat lady sings!!!!!!! This is it! My frankincense bomb. I hope we will be together forever. Amazing!!!'

violetbat

I have already reviewed this but felt I had to add heartfelt agreement to the latest reviews here. I was lucky enough to get a decant from a lovely friend on here. This perfume is highly addictive.
I could not imagine being without it. It calms and soothes. Thank you Tom Ford!

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

This is it. I have found my incense fix that will transport me away from this world.

This is all about Frankincense(olibanum).

Other notes are there, but one needs to wear this for at least two times in order to see what's beyond the frankincense.

For example: The amber and beeswax are there, but only giving accents to the scent. That's where the "almost" sweet vibe comes from, especially in the first hour.

The cypress is also there. It adds a tiny bit of a spicy character to the frankincense, which gives it more depth and mystery.

The drydown is all about that churchy olibanum frankincense, but it never gets too sharp or "cold". It stays smooth and soft.

The beeswax finally opens up in the drydown, giving the scent extra warmth.

"Masterpiece" doesn't do justice to this.

As mentioned somewhere below, this is an addictive scent that should be purchased with a prescription! A narcotic in a bottle!

mpbrown
mpbrown

Oh. My. God.... I can't think of anything else to describe how I feel about this fragrance. Does it come in tubs? I would like to loll around in a tub of this please ;)

This, to me, is incense. Some would say it smells 'churchy', but I don't care, I love it. It's got a similar vibe as CdG Avignon or Tauer's Incense Extreme or Sonoma Scent Studio Incense Pure, but I personally, would choose to wear this one more often. I loved all of those fragrances as well, but Sahara Noir is more intense, it projects more, the resinous notes waft and are well defined - that frankincense is killer. I feel like a walking censer, seriously, and that's how I like incense fragrances to wear on me. I do not get much of the floral or citrus notes, nor do I get anything that smells like bbq, thank you very much. I do not perceive it as being overly woody or smokey or sweet. To me, and on me, it smells divine. Love it.

bronwen80
bronwen80

This is a huge explosion of spice!! There is nothing in this scent to mellow it out in any way. It is a big, bold perfume. Much like Dior's original Poison, it takes a certain women to be able to wear this scent sucessfully. It could easily become a scent that wears the wearer. Not for me but I can appreciate this perfume.

ArkangeL

Second reviews are usually not of my interest, but I feel it is quite necessary. If you expected Sahara Noir to be floral, sweet, light and airy or anything in the atmosphere of "safe", it is everything but. Sahara Noir is the fragrance of a Middle Eastern Prince, whom Tom Ford designed this especially for. Whether or not this story was fabricated, it certainly fits the scent. So, if you don't want to smell like a Persian Prince, steer clear of this shiny gold flacon. As far as synthetics are concerned, I find that there is a better quality oud used here than any of the Private Blends. Don't get me started with Arabian Wood and Kilian's Cruel Intentions. Two synthetic messes, deemed masterpieces. I can see how Tobacco Oud is placed in the light of Sahara Noir, but I feel Tom Ford is mixing and matching his work at this point.

SixSidedTippy
SixSidedTippy

After reading all the reviews here, my curiosity was definitely piqued. I blindly sprung for a full-sized bottle, received it and upon first spritz was in a state of absolute bliss. I've been wearing this every other day for little over a week and it just gets better with each wearing. This is a bit of an intense fragrance at first but it is truly a beautiful experience. This is one of the smoothest incense scents with just the right amount of warm spices and the merest touch of sweetness that eliminates the somewhat sharp dryness that is usually associated with incense fragrances such as Comme des Garcons' Avignon but not as sweet as Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi. The dry down softens to perfection. I have received many compliments when wearing it from both men and other women. Longevity is excellent and sillage is good without being overbearing. I enjoy and love this so much that I just purchased two more full-sized bottles to have at the ready when this first bottle is gone. I am not familiar with other Tom Ford fragrances but Sahara Noir is stellar.

11/19/2013 update: It's official, I am seriously addicted to this. This EDP is so captivating that it cannot be described in words. I don't know who this Tom Ford man is and, truth be told, I really don't care but there should be a law that Sahara Noir can only be purchased with a prescription. It really should be categorized as a Schedule I & II controlled substance. I have not been so enamored with a scent since I first discovered L'Heure Bleue thirty-eight years ago. I've been putting Sahara Noir on twice a day, once in the morning and then after getting out of the shower before going to bed. This is NOT a fragrance, this is a narcotic in a spray bottle.

Jilly B
Jilly B

I was intrigued by this and was delighted when I spotted it in the department store, however a quick spray almost made be shrink away from the bottle, this one was not something I could even say I liked.

I kept thinking about my first encounter, as there are a number of perfumes I have grown to love once I've gotten used to them, and understand them more, and I had NEVER bought something like this. I seized and opportunity to buy an almost new bottle from eBay (the seller sprayed once and hated it, lucky me!) and I got it for a fifth of the price of a new bottle, so I hadn't splurged a huge amount to have it in my collection.

When it arrived in the post, as always I let my husband have a look and a smell, and usually he is rather indifferent although takes pleasure in seeing my pleasure. Sahara Noir was different.....he LOVED it, and even sprayed it on himself. He gets frankincense beginning to end, I find the opening a bit too much and prefer it after the first couple of hours, as softer frankincense and incense shine through.

I am glad I bought this. I like it more and more each time I wear it, and the initial shock was because I have absolutely nothing else like this I my collection. I went out last night and when I came home I found that my husband had helped himself to a liberal spray of the stuff, he just couldn't help himself, he said. And it smells great on him! This is easily unisex, and I honestly think it smells better on male skin than female.

My bottle is now stored away from my main collection as I fear that it will not last long if my husband knows where it is!

Sugandaraja
Sugandaraja

Sahara Noir captures the moment when frankincense just hits the charcoal and begins the melt; the warmest, clearest side of the note, before the smoke shades the scent slightly.

The background is an ambery accord remiscent of both Ambre Sultan in its saltiness and Absolue pour le Soir in its benzoin-beeswax accord. Orange in the top, and jasmine, patchouli, and tobacco in the base make themselves known, but fundamentally these are all soft background accents to a stellar frankincense accord.

The longevity is shorter than you may expect for an oriental fragrance, but lasts a decent six to eight hours on me. Projects quite well throughout.

Many frankincense scents strike me as cold ( e.g. Avignon ) in their drydown, but the warmth of this rendition makes it the most memorable addition to the Ford line in years. No chilly cathedrals ( and certainly no Noir ), but a beautiully solar incense scent.

Broadbent
Broadbent

I have 2 words.....Norma Kamali.
She did it first...and perhaps best. But this version is very nice.

christianne1
christianne1

The opening and first half hour smells incredibly similar to Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. If you are familiar with it, then you pretty much know what Sahara Noir smells like initially. Only Sahara Noir does not have the oregano and bay leaf bite of AS. SN isn't quite as strong as AS although you do get a hefty amber dose in the opening. But it doesn't have the same power and doesn't hang on like AS does. Sahara Noir is slightly more feminine (especially the dry down) than Ambre Sultan as well. The full dry down after about 4 hours smells NOTHING like the opening. The floral notes finally peep out.The last stages smells nothing like Ambre Sultan. Because of this drastic change, it is very hard for me to refer to SN as linear. It is almost bi-polar.

SN is listed as being for women but it is clearly unisex. I prefer Ambre Sultan (which has been around since 1993 btw) and own it so maybe that is why it is my preference. Price is about the same so I guess it would just come down to a slight preference of one over the other. Be warned...this is not a sweet amber fragrance so if you are looking for sweet you probably will not like this. It is just a touch sweeter than Ambre Sultan (particularly in the dry down) and has a tiny floral touch (really only detectable in the dry down) but Sahara Noir is only for those who are not faint at heart when it comes to the dark, dry and amber.

nightowl22
nightowl22

Little did I know, after a few timid sprtizes, I have come to crave this perfume! I grew up Catholic and having incense at my beck and call makes me feel like I have a little bit of my past to keep me company. The dark, syrupy, slightly herbal topnote does does smell a lot like a Chinese medicine shop, exactly as described below, but that's ok too. I'm tired of perfumes that purport to evoke a sun-kissed beach with a balmy breeze wafting citrus through the air. Sahara Noir is solidly grounded in resins and wood and musk. The only disappointment is that it doesn't really evolve over time, although it lingers nicely for up to 8 hours in the crook of your arm. It won't shed years off your life or make your wrinkles disappear. It just makes you happy to be who you are.

violetbat

I tested this last week and HATED it. If I could have scrubbed it I would have done. I had sahara noir on one hand and black orchid on the other. I rather liked black orchid which smelled of blackcurrants on my skin within 5 minutes( very odd).
I hated sahara noir for the next 2 hours. Who on earth could call this a woman's scent?
Then something strange happened; every time I moved my hand the most beautiful, sweet and also resin like smell wafted up. I went to bed and had my hand by my head, the smell was intoxicating and comforting. The black orchid had all but disappeared( this happens with pretty much all frags at the moment, god knows why).
The next morning the smell was still there, even after a shower I could smell it faintly. I found myself very sad that I couldn't respray. It was on my coat when I went to work, I longed for it. I don't long for smells very often.
I wanted more but also didn't want to buy an enormous bottle! After only 2 days I gave in and bought a decant. The speed with which I ripped off the packaging and rubbed it in just now tells me something about my love for this.
How strange then that a perfume so hated would become so beloved.
I can't really describe the notes.
The initial blast isn't very pleasant, it's a huge, dark, churchy, incense- filled bitter and dry smack in the face. It feels very, very masculine.
Then on me the magic happens.
I am now experimenting with layering it. I have it now on each hand, one with bal a versailles and on the other with agent provocateur 'strip'. It works beautifully with both. ( neither of these has any lasting power on me).
I urge anyone sampling this to just give it a chance to dry down a little.
You have to like strong scents to like this. If you like sweet flowery notes you probably won't like this.

Scrilla
Scrilla

Tom Ford Sahara Noir is so dry I feel like I'll catch fire in the sun when I'm wearing it. In this sense it does recall an arid, dusty plain. I mostly get incense, smoke and dry woods, as if there were a brush fire in the distance. I'm not a church goer and never will be, so perhaps this is why I'm not immediately brought back to Sunday mass like most commenters.

Overall this is nothing to write home about. The listed notes are all lovely, and I wish they were not overpowered by incense.

Testing this again it's quite intoxicating when it wafts up to you from so.e place below the chest, or wrist when hanging low it creates an enveloping aura I really enjoy.

Cams
Cams

This is opulent, rich and vibrant and strong on incense. Its lush and beautiful and lasts forever!

davitea
davitea

I never met a fragrance so repulsive I would like to wash away right away untill I smelled this. Too bad it was on the airport free-shop and I had to endure trans-antlanic flight with it even though I tried to wipe it off the best I could.
I realize we all have different body chemistries and we also smell different things in the perfumes, I just write this to discourage people to buy it blind,just because they love and respct Tom Ford's perfumes ( and I am one of them, I love the Black orchid, Violette blond and Youth Dew amber nude).
Since I was not brought up in a church-going manner, all I smelled was burned depilatory wax; the vax product once used to clean and shine the wood floors; turpentine and a memory of something burned and rancid I ate as a child.
I thought it maybe more suited for men but my husband disliked it as much as I did.
Just try it before you buy, please,it's too expensive to do experiment with and it could be your costliest dissapointement.

andabri
andabri

It's a smooth, lightly smokey, fresh incense scent. This is the high quality type of incense as well. It's a very, very clean smell; it's not suffocating or choking or bitter, it's velvety and smooth.

It immediately brought me back to my childhood church and the incense they used on special occasions.

I swear the main note I smell is frankincense, but it's not listed as a note, which is very surprising. Then I smell some fresh young wood incense.

As it dries down, finally some plant notes show up, in the form of a tiny bit of green smell that smooths over the smokiness.

edited to add: frankincense actually is a component, it is just not listed on fragrantica, for those who may feel confused as well.

love45
love45

I really have nothing bad to say about this! It is a really sophisticated, bold and loud perfume! I really couldn't handle it lol. I think this is a lot stronger than Black Orchid which I can handle and I very much love. IMO, this perfume is way stronger! It really is a beautiful perfume and if you like really bold and strong perfumes, you might like this! I totally recommend it! :)

katemcq
katemcq

Smelling this put me right in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York. Incense. And something like pine, or the smell of expensive wood. A trace of black pepper, and violin rosin.

This would be a great scent for men. I'm not sure I'd be able to wear it, interesting as it is, but maybe it smells more "right" on other women.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

Sahara Noir is incense scent at its finest. Its deep, resinous, warm, containing high quality ingredients. I like to wear it during warm summer nights when the heat subsides. Its long lasting with moderate projection. If you are an incense lover, you need at least try Sahara Noir on your skin to see where it will take you. I for one, am constantly transported to orthodox churches and ancient temples.

demby

después de 1 hora en mi piel, es como estar en oración durante un largo tiempo, me gusta este aroma me recuerda por sobre manera mis años en el colegio agustino en mexico

demby

notas de salida incienso,notas medias incienso, demasiado masculino, para ser solo de mujer, lo ideal es que tiene buen tiempo en la piel, me gusta para una noche sexi al aire libre wow

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Well this is going to be a short review as I'm just picking up a intense explosion of Frankincense and not much more. This would be great if I was scenting my house, but as a personal fragrance I find it a bit too realistic for it's own good. I mean who wants to smell like they have just been to a Sunday mass. A pass for me.

muskymale
muskymale

To me, this perfume is the closest thing to the scent on Madonna's Like A Prayer original 1989 album cover. I love it. Very spiritual indeed.

Nuriyarose
Nuriyarose

frankincense bomb ...for me its realy bad perfume.
frankincensefrankincensefrankincensefrankincense not compleax and very boring...

ekoeko
ekoeko

If you had EVER smelled a REAL frankincense, from a honest supplier, you would know how it is like :) This fragrance is all around labdanum, also benzoin can be clearly identified. What you smell "sweet and balmy" in the begining, is calamus (also, if you were familiar with the true substance, you would recognize it).
I have 3 similar: Wazamba, Absolue pour le soir and Sahara noir. Similar in the main mood they are after, but their sweetness is different. All are considered to be "heavy" svents, especially intense in warmer climate, just Sahara has something annoying, and I think it is cinnamon, cause it is a very strong substance and can easily overpower anything.
Compared to Absolue pour le soir, Sahara smells like cheap copy, it really lacks that subtelty that Absolue has. Wazamba smells really fresh between those two :)

Lausal2328
Lausal2328

First impression was Sunday Catholic mass..I smell like church LOL. When I got to work a friend was like " where is that incense coming from?" Sillage & longevity are strong, I kinda like the scent but not love.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I sent this description to a friend in a PM and decided to copy paste it here as a review.

it is quite strong on the smoky cedar/cypress and resins in the opening. It is not sweet at all despite the benzoin. More dry, smoky and balmy... with a presence of conifers. I would not say it has a very feminine vibe, but it is not masculine either. To me this perfume really evokes the image of middle-east exoticism, mystery... old papyrus. It is not a Catholic church scent at all (to my nose, but I went to French-Canadian Catholic church, so who knows). It is a faraway temple scent (too spicy feeling to me to be Roman Catholic).

It is original to my nose. I think that because it really makes me think of the Desert and ancient civilizations, it is a very well made fragrance. It is before and after all, a dry smoky incense perfume with a touch of woods. Someone had said it smells like Shalimar.... it smells nothing like it at all.

It warms and sweetens on the skin in a delicious (but still quite dry) way, after the slightly harsh opening. This took about 15 minutes on me. Maybe not a hot Summer day favorite, but once it gets colder and overcast, ooohhhh my. This will be great.

Projection and longevity are very good.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I know there is a range of notes that comprise Sahara Noir, but to me this is a specific kind of incense: Catholic incense. It reads as a reconstruction of that smell, a dense, cold-warm ceremonial aroma that wafts beautifully across wide open spaces. When analyzed, the composition yields two main accords, with the incense on top, buttressed by a truly great cistus labdanum (amber) note. Incense and amber share spicy-cool (think black pepper) and velvety-warm facets, and their unification here makes the perfume smell very deep and layered. There are noticeable accents of cedar, which complement the bright top notes of labdanum, and also calamus (for a hint of green), oud, and benzoin. Quite a nice scent, and a winner for Tom Ford. Just go easy on the trigger, as this stuff is strong.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

The first half hour all I get is unwashed ass. The next two hours are genius, out of this world, deep, absorbing and it feels totally worth the price. Then it's downhill all the way. It stays annoyingly and boringly CHURCH. Nothing else, like the magic just had somewhere better to go. What a shame. Although its a step up from Gucci homme. Ford must have learned the lesson about pencil shavings. Do try it for the experience. Even if I had £100 to spend on 50ml they are asking, I wouldn't.

aschiffm
aschiffm

ahh first spray is spiced hot dry desert sand. so firey hot and spicy, like those cinnamon candies if they were covered in desert sand baking in a hot sun,a little foody like a spice rack.

after a few hours morphs into a smoky slightly sweet wood/incesnsy scent, still a bit spicy. i like this stage the most..very mysterious and captivating.

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

My very first impression is that it smells very eastern medicinal. Maybe therapeutic either to banish evil spirits, cure bleeding, or to mask some other potentially offensive smell.

I want to like this because on paper it has everything that I gravitate toward, the dark, smokey, woody, warm, resinous, amber notes. And yet, I keep getting Chinese herbal shop, the kind where they take all your different pulses, make you stick out your tongue, and then concoct a wild brew of no fewer than a dozen different ingredients ranging from tree bark, mushrooms, leaves, twigs, and dried berries.

Reading the other reviews, I'm slightly influenced into seeing similarities to Gucci Pour Homme, but not enough to be won over. I'm not sure who can or would wear this, male or female, but if your'e able to pull it off, more power to ya. I think I'm going to pass.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

On my skin this is just frankincense so fiery it makes my throat ache; it doesn't change, develop, or fade. The patchouli, musk and cinnamon make it even dryer. 3 hours after spraying myself, I still smell like I have been rubbed down with a Borgia pope's cassock.

Just because I want to be adored doesn't mean I have to smell like a cathedral!

umtaleb
umtaleb

@xliMilx

Best description E.V.E.R for this scent.

Even we had a giggle in the perfume shop.

Buyer beware: don't wear in Saudi unless you just gave birth ...

ArkangeL

Oriental? In every sense. Floral? Hardly. The Egyptian jasmine carries more life than the Moroccan rose, but initially present to contribute balance. For the first few seconds Sahara Noir is calm, like the eye of a storm. Then there is a whirlwind of notes wafting aggressively. Through smoke and sand, sweet cedar, frankincense and oud emerge. How appropriate for the classic Tom Ford flacon to be made gold, as it represents the remarkable royal resins used in eastern luxury. Like most of Tom Ford's fragrances, Sahara Noir is acquired taste.

iMaverick
iMaverick

One can say this is the female counterpart to Gucci Pour Homme, if TF was still directing at Gucci, but really this could easily have been marketed as a unisex scent, much like the Private Blend line. Some are saying this is a sillage monster, but it barely makes it to my nose, staying close to the skin. I would love it to billow around me a bit more, but then I think twice because another person could easily think that there might be something burning nearby because this scent is very smoky. It does last a good while on me. The drydown is a bit softer and sweeter with musky tones.

I would easily buy it as an impulse buy, but I'm thinking twice about it because of the price. I gotta really love it at that price, which is why I bought a few samples of this before making the decision.

I really do love how it smells, but something keeps me turning the other cheek and contemplating Bond No. 9 Silver Factory which is cheaper by the ounce, but only available in 100ml bottles, to purchase FIRST for an incense based scent.

Ah, what to get, what do I do....? ;)

**EDIT** Found a tester bottle at a lower price than retail so I'm happy. I'm already wondering if I should bet a backup bottle.

Luforge

Frankensence with oriental spices takes this parfum to another time..Longevity about 6 hours with superb dry down to cedar and leather., I have had a lot of comments on this one in particular from females.If you like going to church this ones a must...(winks)

Evengelia
Evengelia

Holy Moly...what a dark, mysterious, smokey brew this is. I picture a beautiful middle eastern woman dripping in tutti frutti colored jewells with peircing dark smokey eyes wearing this.

The opening on my skin is blow of aromatic resins... i close my eyes and it brings me to the St Peters Basillica in Roma, the most beautiful church with wafts of myrrh, frankincense and benzoin with an unmistakable kick of ceder which just spirals beautiful off the skin.

Only a few hours later do i get oud, a creamy oud...it doesnt kick the nose like it normally does, but its definitly oud. Then slowly the orange, vanilla, rose and jasmine rise and turn it into a slightly sweeter smokey scent.

I enjoy wearing this. Its definitley built for evening wear, and i enjoy wearing this when im alone, its a moody, reflective scent and not for the faint of heart.

xliMilx
xliMilx

alright

not bad smell, but not for Arabs or any one live around Arabs, this is a smell of a medication Arabs use for women that just berth a new babe that will make the whole house smell like this, they use this medication to make the woman vagina tighten up, so yes basically this what this perfume remind me of, if i smell a man with this smell ill ask him oh a new babe in your family, so imagen if a women smell like that, ill think she is just too lazy to have shower after she got done from her medication, lets go into details.

I got my sample here in jubail in Saudi Arabia, i did ask every single person around me do you know this smell, they lol and say its nufas medication, even my 13 years old brother find it funny thing there are perfume of this cheap medication, well sahara isn't cheap comparing to it, its like 10 times more costly.

to get this smell go to any arabs medication shop, buy shabba, myrh and luban, burn them and the smoke will get stuck in your cloth and body, it will last for ever, enjoy.

i like its longivty and sillage
the smell is 7/10 and do not mind to use it IF am going on trip to somewhere out side Saudi Arabia or in a meeting with none arabs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFTER few hours of applying it, at hour 5~
me and my wife got bored of its smell, its still got its high sillage when I did apply only a little bit of it on my right hand, cant smell anything else in the room other than this thing, I had to change my clothes and wash my hand to get rid of it.
so yes. its sillage monster

my advice is to apply this on you and wait for the whole day till next day before you buy it, WHO knows, maybe you will also get bored easily!

samer007
samer007

shocking! i was expecting a layered oriental spicy perfume, but sahara noir is all about incense and more incense, but nothing sweet or sensual here; the incense is very dry, very woody, smells very much like burnt pine forest! immediately brought to my mind serge lutens "fille en aiguilles", very very similar.
sahara noir is even more masculine... never thought i'd say this but... could use a bit of sweetness! another problem is that it's very linear and un-layered; what u get from that first whiff is what u'll be getting from sahara noir for it's entire stay.
the good thing; it's definitely bold, and unpolished. it has great tenacity on skin.
the downside; not sure how groundreaking it is, after all it just smells like a one dimensional burnt medicinal incense stick...
3+ stars.

CDGfan

Its ok, eventhough it has a library list of all these nice ingredients, all I got was a crude frankincense and ISO-e super. It is very linear and boring and not that I have a problem with that, but the issue is the fragrance is not particularly well composed. I get the GPH vibe, but I feel GPH I was a very well composed fragrance. The plus side of this fragrance is it lasts a very long time, 24 hours on my skin. Sillage is close to the skin to average.

I dont see a woman wearing this at all, it is very masucline IMO.

There have been enough incense perfume launches by now to warrant establishing a new category to cover them all: incense perfume! They are all much more similar to one another than any is to anything else, and they all smell pretty much the same in broad contours--especially if one has not developed this as an area of specialization. Upon applying Tom Ford SAHARA NOIR, my initial and predictable reaction was to blurt out: "incense perfume". Then it remained to answer the all-important questions: What is this reminding me of? Is this any better than all of the others on the market right now?

I took a look at the comparisons being made by other reviewers: they range all the way from Comme des Garçons AVIGNON to Juicy Couture DIRTY ENGLISH. Since I happen to have bottles of those two perfumes, plus the other CdG Incense entries, I decided to do some side-by-side comparisons after having worn SAHARA NOIR for a few hours--and having enjoyed it, I might add.

DIRTY ENGLISH has a much muskier demeanor than SAHARA NOIR, and the latter also has much more incense and less other kinds of wood scents, so I'd say that the similarity between those two is somewhat superficial. Yes, both contain incense, but the similarity ends there. AVIGNON, too, does not really smell like SAHARA NOIR. The CdG is more bitter and complex, to my nose. By memory, I'll add that Tauer Perfumes offers much more complex and appealing incense perfumes than this one.

SAHARA NOIR probably is, as one apparently angry reviewer has suggested, a slightly tweaked reissue of the incense idea formerly executed under Tom Ford's creative directorship but for other lines. I think that it smells pretty good, but this is another case, like NEROLI PORTOFINO, where it's not at all obvious that this new launch brings anything new to the sniffing table. It does lengthen the Tom Ford Perfumes menu without redundancy, so the devotees will probably want to add this bottle to their collection. I remain unconvinced.

My favorite Tom Ford perfumes remain the far more original and probably inimitable BLACK ORCHID and BLACK ORCHID VOILE DE FLEUR. I will say that the quality of SAHARA NOIR is as I have come to expect from this house, with good longevity and sillage.

Beepert
Beepert

Perhaps my nose is particularly unrefined, but all I got with this one was pencil shavings... and a wisp of incense if I concentrated. Even the shop lady who gave me the sample said it smelt of her woodworking class at school!
A nice smell, but not one I'd want to wear. Can't see the comparisons with CDG's Avignon myself!

K1
K1

It smells the very incense in Comme des Garçons Avignon. The very catholic air on dry and seriously exotic balsamic tone (it's not in religious spirits here as it is in Avignon). The opening is just eye-rolling but it's terribly perfect for the heart and dry down. The scent is so simple yet so complex: incense, woods and some flowers. The incense quality is as natural as every needle-leaved tree's exude balsam.

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

First of all this is most certainly not exclusive to women, I didn't even consider it not to be masculine when I tried (and imidiately bought!) it. It does indeed focus around frankincense but not IMHO in an austere or churchy way, not at all, unlike Gucci por Homme which certainly does have a liturgical whiff to it, this is more of a Levantine or Saharan Hojari frankincense with lovely citrus nuances, which far from stuffy gothic stone churches smells redolent of golden desert sands. This is honeyed and balmy and bloody lovely. I feel that it has more complexity as a composition than the private blend collection (which is designed to be layered with other examples from the same collection whereas this is made to be worn alone). The animalic je ne sais quoi is from the delicious honey, there is a smokey element too but not in the least bit is it oppressive, it is subtle and an afterthought. I have always longed to find a scent that smells like my bengal cat's fur and this has a similar smooth golden quality that makes me very happy. Highly recommended. It has been compared to Absolute Pour Le Soir which to me smells like piss and old women; they share a honey facet but that is where the similarities between these perfumes end. This is substantially nicer and less questionable or offensive. Less sexual yes, but no less sensual. This bottle will finish quickly as its only 50mls and I need to wear a lot of it to get the fragrant bubble effect I like. If you are more modest than I am when it comes to silage you will be very satisfied with it. I want to write something illustrative and abstract about the sandy desert landscapes I picture, the shapes the incense smoke makes as it carries pious blessings skywards, the syrupy honey that begs to be licked off caramel skin, but I don't want to spoil the delights that await you.

freddinos
freddinos

I like Caist's review that starts with 'If you were raised a Catholic you know this smell'! I was also raised Orthodox Christian and this reminds me 100% of being at the church, of incence being burnt and filling the air. The smell is identical! This is a strong reason for me not to be able to wear it... By the way I found the name not relevant to the perfume

ChampagneHo
ChampagneHo

Sahara Noir reminded me of being around a campfire made with wet wood. It stayed that way on me from top to base.

At drydown, I got the incense, which I guess is the burning fire wood, but for some reason I found it more pleasant and incensy.

I wanted to like this, but I don't want to wear it. It's too one-dimensional on me. I don't hate it either, I feel neutral about it and will probably swap my decant at some point. I do enjoy sniffing that campfire smell though. Reminds me of going to sleep away camp and campfires.

magneto78
magneto78

Let me start by saying I think this fragrance is lovely. I like it. Smells like quality juice and does not remind me of any other frag I've smelled. However, Tom Ford packaging just sucks. Private Blend or otherwise they all look cheap. Who says this is for women? I don't find anything feminine about it at all. Too heavy for a woman

Jomoves
Jomoves

I loved the whole name and concept behind this one, but when I tried it today after work I was struck by a sudden desire to bless myself! This smells EXACTLY like a catholic church on Palm Sunday. It's all there, the musty pews, the cold marble, the blend of rosemary and frankincense. I wonder if anyone at Lauder is quietly having a good laugh about this. Maybe it's the same person who managed to pass off 4711 as Neroli Portifino ...

The other thing I have to mention is the bottle. It looks amazing in adverts and even from a distance in real life. But up close it's really crap and lightweight, with a stupid gold plastic cap. C'mon guys, if you're going to charge money like this at least make some effort.

Caist
Caist

If you were raised Catholic.. you KNOW what this smells like.

Now lean over to mom in the pew and pass me a Werther's.

Smells beautiful on a woman who can pull off the warmer spice fragrances, VERY exotic, but there's something suspicious about it.. first it was called "Golden Tears" but then we all laughed at that one.

I've actually sold the first bottle we got to a man who loved it as soon as I had him try it on. Unisex? Doesn't say Pour Homme, have at it fellas!

JasonB
JasonB

Tom Ford counter girl gave me a sample vial today, i love it.
I will buy a bottle. Similar to Kyoto Comme de Garcon.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

A straight up spicy incense in the unisex mould which is no different from my husbands old Gucci pour Homme,or a million other incenses. £110?? don't think so! I was disappointed as the name suggested a female scent with maybe oudh or north African influence which is exciting, this didn't excite me though although it is perfectly pleasant and seems to be a bit of an advertising exercise, the 'Noir' in the name being particularly nonsensical.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I took a whiff of this on a paper strip and was immediately transported back to junior high school WOODSHOP. (This is a good thing.) It's for women? Really? I'm not too sure about that. Could be unisex. I got a sample. I shall try wearing it. Stand by.

------

Now wearing it: Tom Ford's triple deception. There's nothing "sahara" about it, it isn't "noir" and it's not just for women - it's a masculine scent.

What this is, is nothing more nor less than pine board - specifically, eighth grade wood shop at Luther Burbank Junior High School in Burbank, California. The first time I smelled this - POW! - that's what I got transported back to. See, it's Tom Ford's little joke: the bottle even resembles a pine plank somewhat.

Don't misunderstand me: this is a wonderful, happy scent (more happy than Clinique Happy), since I like working with wood! I like this stuff.

As others state, it is very linear, long-lasting and it projects. I'm now sitting at my office at work. I half expect some guy to stroll in and ask, "Did some work in the garage, did you?"

Feminine scent my foot - this is as much a guy scent as it gets!

Tom Ford ought to re-launch this as a celebrity scent for Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor.

-----

Subsequent smellings: I love this stuff.

Abdulla
Abdulla

At first - it was interesting. Then it hit me what it reminded me of and I just had to scrub it off. The basil note was very prominent on my skin.

The name is extremely misleading. There was NOTHING sahara about this scent. No sahara, no oasis and certainly _NO_ middle eastern influence as the name suggests.

This to me smells like something you marinate a steak with. To my nose, it smells like a mixture of sweet pineapple BBQ sauce and Jamaican jerk spice.

If you like this scent, you will be happy to know that it is extremely long lasting ! Sprayed my wrists around 8 hours ago and it still lingers. (why is it that scents you dislike are the ones that seemingly last the longest !?)

I had such high hopes for a perfume with this name !

Riverwide
Riverwide

To my nose, this is incredibly similar to the discontinued Gucci Pour Homme. Quite churchy and incensey, but pleasantly warm and slightly sweet too. Excellent lasting power, especially on clothing. It's lovely, if you're into this kind of thing. I'm not sure I'd ever want to smell like this though.

ArmaniBoys's assessment is perfect. I also agree that it's insanely overpriced. Such a shame.

B-Boy93
B-Boy93

I am a huge Tom Ford fan, and so it pains me to admit that I wasn't particularly impressed. Not because it wasn't a nice fragrance, it's just that to me, this is almost a reworking of Amber Absolute, from his Private Blend line, with perhaps a less sweet and instead more smokey base note. Also, considering the price, I was left disappointed by the silage and longevity. This retails for £100 for 50ml in the U.K. and I would strongly suggest paying an extra £35 and choosing something from the Private Blend collection instead.

deadidol
deadidol

In true TF fashion, this is a fragrance that is highly articulate, precise, and polished to astounding standard of perfection. It takes a number of other fragrances already in circulation, extracts their most striking qualities, and attenuates them into one easy-to-wear scent. On one hand, this is good for those who perhaps find CdG's incense a little too dramatic or sharp, but on the other, it renders the scent a tad dull. For the most part, it's frankincense through and through, but it's not specifically churchy. It's certainly dry, but not as dry as others as there's a faint floral/citrus component lurking around behind the smoke.

It's very linear; and, like others from the line, the notes are clearly identifiable. For a TF, it sits surprisingly close to the skin, and doesn't project anywhere near as much as his other scents. I'd assume this was a tactical choice as, once more, this seems to be incense marketed for those who want a more accessible rendition than other incense fragrances. Furthermore, it doesn't last nearly as long as some of his others -- I got 4 to 5 hours, which is about what I get from Avignon.

So, if you're an incense nut and have already tried some of the best of what's out there, don't expect anything revolutionary from this. It's very nice, beautifully rendered, and quite tasteful -- but it's not pushing any envelopes as they clearly went for "accessible." If you've ever found yourself wanting to enjoy something like CdG or Cardinals, but the sharpness bothered you, then this might be ticket.

phrogfrau
phrogfrau

My husband just brought me a bottle of this back from his trip to Kuwait. I have to tell u it is spellbinding! Would be equally bewitching on a man or woman. I get incense (frankincense and amber) smoke and wood, with hints of green spice like basil or rosemary (but only a hint) and a very sophisticated, soft citrus. But make no mistake- this is not a bright citrus or green scent- it is dark, warm, sultry, a little furry/dirty and extremely sexy.

armaniboy
armaniboy

I ll start my review the other way around.This perfume reminds me of a lighter and way less complex version of Absolue pour le soir and Armani bois d encens.It is linear-frankincense,stays close to the skin and has a nice longevity.On my skin I get a sexy ,very elegant ,soapy,incense base which I love.BUT once again the price is holding me back.There is only one size 50ml and its sold at 100GBP.This is for the incense lovers and I believe this is even more masculine than Noir for men.The only thing leaning on the feminine side is the bottle.As for the juice inside its a very nice one which I would love to own.

CDGfan

Pepita, there is a bit of basil in the top notes but Sahara Noir is mainly Frankincense. Infact the whole fragrance is centered around it. A great addition for any incense lover! Not as wearable as Black Orchid, or White patchouli.

Taleb
Taleb

Absolute ripp-off of Francis Kurkdijan's Absolue pour le soir.....for the seeker of a cheaper alternative..

MarkT
MarkT

Has been released (or at least is in shops) here in Dubai, can't review as only did a back of hand spritz) came of as a bit of an acrid jumble, but will give it a fair trial before forming an opinion.

chain
chain

I don't know if it is an imitation,however l saw this in a perfume shop wherein designer perfumes are sold in Nigeria.Reading through reviews,l discovered that it is yet to be released.Can any one give better clarification.Is there a different release date in Africa & Dubai from what obtains in Europe and America.

auroramaria
auroramaria

CDGfan, thank you so much for yor expansive writing about notes.
That's much better!!The composition sounds really gorgeous and I can't wait to test it.

CDGfan

Those notes are somewhat incorrect, this fragrance is built around frankincense. The composition is built around frankincense, which can be found at all three main stages of the development of the fragrance.

Top notes include frankincense, a pristine quality of cistus essence graded Orpur®, bitter orange, Jordanian oasis calamus, Levantine cypress - a reference to the 1001 Arabian Nights.

In the heart we have frankincense essence Orpur® , cinnamon, cool papyrus extract, Egyptian jasmine templar and rose absolute from Morocco. "A beeswax extraction from Burma lends body and a supple, honeyed-animalic richness."

Base notes are ambery, featuring labdanum (labdanum absolute & fractioned ambreinol) – benzoin, vanilla, cedar, frankincense resin, agarwood and balsam.

louisdav
louisdav

What kind of weird people vote for notes before a fragrance is even released?!

Blimunda
Blimunda

This is what I have found regarding notes:

Top: bergamot, mandarin, basil, violet, ginger

Heart: orange blossom, black pepper, tobacco leaves & grapefruit blossom

Base: amber, cedar wood, patchouli, oak moss & leather

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford 3.62 out of 5 based on 404 ratings and 110 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Tom Ford Sahara Noir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Tom Ford Sahara Noir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sahara Noir by Tom Ford. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sahara Noir by Tom Ford represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.