Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Velvet Orchid Tom Ford for women

honey
Velvet Orchid Tom Ford for women Pictures Velvet Orchid Tom Ford for women Pictures Velvet Orchid Tom Ford for women Pictures

The new feminine perfume creation from designer Tom Ford is called Velvet Orchid as an association of the most popular vamp fragrance of this house Black Orchid that was launched in 2006. The new version Velvet Orchid comes out in 2014 and carries on the legacy of bold and glamorous floral signature that promises a unique character, atmosphere and experience of the scent.

The fragrance opens itself with bergamot, mandarin, Succan absolute (purified rum extract) and honey. At the core of this creation (made of "corporeal floral notes.") is Tom Ford's distinctive, “timeless” signature - an imaginary accord of black orchid blended with notes of velvet orchid, which gives the perfume its name, with intense Turkish rose oil and jasmine and a new accord of purple orchid that grows in the wilds of southern Brazilian coast. There are also additional floral notes of orange blossom, rose absolute, narcissus, hyacinth and heliotrope. The base is warm due to the rich flavors of Peru balsam, myrrh, labdanum, sandalwood, suede and vanilla.

This new luxurious perfume is available in dim purple bottles of classic Tom Ford designs in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum concentration. Velvet Orchid was created by Yann Vasnier, Calice Becker, Shyamala Maisondieu and Antoine Maisondieu.

Bergamot Mandarin Orange Rum Honey

Jasmine Rose Oil Black Orchid Orchid Orange Blossom Magnolia Hyacinth Narcissus Heliotrope

Peru Balsam Labdanum Sandalwood Myrrh Suede Vanilla

Black Orchid
Black Amethyst

Velvet Orchid Fragrance Reviews

jayssen
jayssen

This is a lovely, syrupy fragrance that gives you an initial blast of rum, honey and florals, before settling down to a creamy vanilla floral scent. That said, the flowers are not in your face, they are tempered by the sandlewood and myrrh. The name is spot on - it really is a smoother, more velvet interpretation of Black Orchid. The strength is ok, I generally cannot smell it on myself after a couple of hours. Sillage must be good because I always get compliments, even when I cannot smell it myself.

Hopiesmom
Hopiesmom

Far from velvety, this was in your face sharp for me.

LadyIva
LadyIva

This stuff is quite expensive, but well worth the money. It doesn't work its magic on every skin though, so you really need to test it before you decide to part with your hard earned cash. When it works, it is the sexiest floral gourmand on the market. The opening contains rum and honey, then it turns floral with standout orchids and roses, while the base is mostly made of sandalwood, myrrh and vanilla. While it is not officially classified as a gourmand, the rum, vanilla and honey combo is really prominent and the whole thing reminds me of an expensive aromatic dark chocolate. Velvet Orchid is strong, but classy; it is a posh evening scent. Wear it if you are going to the opera, or a fancy restaurant, or if you want to seduce someone - it will make you irresistible!

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

At first sniff something in this reminded me of my negative experience with Aromatics Elixir; a whiff of vitamin B capsule in the most unappealing way. Within a short time this mellows and I can see how some would find this mysteriously sexy but I can't get past that first association with Aromatics Elixir's vitamin B 'note'.

sail0rmars
sail0rmars

Nice winter scent, smooth and thick. The only thing that puts me off is that I smell something foody, nutty. Very similar to secret obsession by ck, which is much cheaper.

otterfaces
otterfaces

When I wear this, I can't quit sniffing myself. It is SEXY as hell. (The scent, not my sniffing- that's probably a bit offputting.) I find the sillage and longevity to be really impressive too- this is not one I would put on in the morning before work. Perfect for night time adventures. *wink!*

jenny_sokols
jenny_sokols

This fragrance is EROTIC. It smells of power, sex and lust, so tempting. I crave for it so much, plus the staying power is amazing. When it fades sway it smells of sweet tobacco mixed with wild flowers. OH MY GOSH!
Must get this for my birthday!!!

Lucyana
Lucyana

To me smells a little bit like Versace Crystal Noir. And I love CN so I like this as well. Good perfume.

maianh83
maianh83

Black Amethyst of Bath and Body Works with less sweetness ! You guys can save lots of money.

verasdfghjkl
verasdfghjkl

Black Orchid, while it is masterly done, it's boom! in ya face. I like boom! in ya face, but I do like other BIYFs more than Black Orchid. Toned down the earthiness just a bit it is the younger sister Velvet Orchid. Furthermore, she is refined and with great nuance because she is sexy and luscious, but still dark. She is velvety I can tell you, it's that dark powderiness that works so well in contrast with the sweet honey, vanilla orchid, and rum notes.

Bee-young-ka
Bee-young-ka

Myrrh lovers rejoice!
you can pick it out and it's suede-y.

Instant love.
if you prefer myrrh to dark choc Never mind the black orchid, try this one instead.

I love this for night time or special occasion. It's very sexy very black magic.
Very Expensive so this is one to save up for, but undeniable elegance.

rakan1985
rakan1985

scent : 10/10
sillage : 10/10
longevity :8/10
100% night fragrance

Shwets
Shwets

This is black orchid original minus that talked about rotten fruit smell the velvet version is smooth and actually velvety lol.

Mautiakay
Mautiakay

This may be a lovely scent, unfortunately I will never know as it immediately brought on a migraine. It did the same to my sisters and my mother when I tried to pass it on.

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

This is more wearable for me. It does fade to a light scent for me. And when I think it's wore off, I keep getting whiffs of it.

campfilo
campfilo

Yes, clickingpenquin, I totally agree with you, starts out strong and then weakens to barely a whisper on me, but I do have dry skin. Also the rum and suede makes it good for men to wear.

clickingpenguin
clickingpenguin

I just received a sample of Velvet Orchid and I want to love it so badly...I actually love the smell because it's not too heavy and masculine, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to last on me. Maybe it was a bad sample? I'm hesitant to drop the $ on it because it absolutely has to last longer than it seems to. Anyone else have this problem?

hollandbri
hollandbri

What can I say, this fragrance is nice but not as impressive as it's older sister Black Orchid. Warm and syrupy; much sweeter to my nose. If you think BO is too 'pungent' please try this as I think you will truly enjoy.

A La Angel
A La Angel

Hmmm. I find this fragrance so puzzling.

To my nose, it's not so much a deep purple fragrance as it is a saturated fuchsia or magenta colour. Where deep purple would evoke feelings of mystery and sensuality, Velvet Orchid gives me trying-very-hard-to-be-sexy. Where deep purple would give me lacy underthings from La Perla, Velvet Orchid gives me brightly coloured leopard print fun undies from the Victoria's Secret sale.

It's not... not sexy. It's just... sexy in a kind of gaudy, gauche way. The equivalent of an inappropriately short skirt.

But do I mind? I don't know! Hmmm.

drlaurel
drlaurel

At first spray you see that velvet orchid starts out as a floral little sister of black orchid. And you think to yourself, no, i don't need another one soooo similar. Midway through you realize what is missing from velvet to make it black and that is the boozy fruit and "darkness" you love (or don't) in black orchid. You think, no, I'm happy with black orchid and this one is really a lot more about the flowers. It's the dry down when you think, Oh wait, what is going on here. The dry down is where you can feel Velvet completely disown her sister and stand alone as a beautiful composition. She's more feminine and polite, she's less mysterious and more upbeat and her dry down is fresh and minty, bordering on soapy, but a good soapy. I love the mint here, why is it not on the list, well probably b/c its myrrh. Love this. With humidity you get more flowers in the dry down and with cool and dry you get the yummy myrrh and soft soft soft fragrance of a more flowery black orchid. Damn, i was hoping they were closer sisters, looks like a bottle is in order, or at least a mini.
Oh, and for those of you who are die hard black orchiders, do a sample test, and give it time. The dry down is different on different folks and different depending on weather. For me, they are so so so close in the opening that I would purchase this based on the dry down alone so it is user dependent as all dry downs typically are. Different for everybody. Also, if black orchid is something that you find too strong for certain occasions, you might find yourself reaching for Velvet as it is much smoother and more versatile for various occasions than the amazing black orchid, who is my go to for sexy, fun nights out, date nights, fancy parties and velvet orchid would likely be used up faster(or vice versa depending on your lifestyle).

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

Fascinating and promising opening, but unfortunately the drydown reminds me of women's deodorant or shaving cream. It ends up smelling foamy and clean. It's got the Black Orchid DNA, but this smells like Black Orchid stripped of its individuality, depth and attitude. I don't understand why Sahara Noir and Violet Blonde flopped, but this has remained. It probably seems like I hate this perfume, but I really don't. I'm just pretty indifferent to it.

lottalibella82
lottalibella82

What an obscene fragrance! While the IMMEDIATE opening is actually nice, it quickly turns into a scent which smells like urine on my skin.
I put it on this morning before going to work, not knowing what would await me with this fragrance, and I felt so uncomfortable whenever someone came near me because I was afraid that they would potentially smell this horrible scent. This perfume is as sophisticated as Tom Ford's ads for his man's fragrance... Such a waste of money.

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

A classy lady of a perfume. Bought it at Sephora for 80 bucks. This is a gorgeous floral fragrance. The flowers that stood out on me: orchid (duh) rose heliotrope magnolia and hyacinth. But at the same time for whatever reason probably the incense note of myrrh and the leathery suede the flowers are darker, and smokier. This is a dark fragrance but not in a masculine way unisex way or mysterious way. It's a fragrance of the evening. It smells incredibly expensive and can pass for a Chanel. It's something I can smell on women I've bumped into at black tie dinner parties in Palm Beach. Elegant and sophisticated, mature but in a great way.

foxy_princess
foxy_princess

Although this is pleasant smelling, it didn't really wow me, neither did the lasting power. I sprayed it and it was gone after 5 hours.
I get remnants of black orchid without the rotten wood smell and maybe some lady million in there thrown in, but this is too far from extraordinary to have a £100 price tag. The price does not affect its character or quality for that matter. For me to spend that much on a perfume it better last me all damn day and get me at least one compliment, this didn't do either.

blake.lee
blake.lee

I can't wear Black Orchid because it drydowns to rotting mushrooms on me. Velvet Orchid is everything good about BO without the slimy, old mushroom. It's sweet, warm and a touch earthy. I find the purple bottle appropriate because the fragrances smells and feels purple to me. If you're familiar with Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle, this has the same powdery, orchid flower note, but here it's sweetened up and smoother. I found it too powdery in Eau Sensuelle with the accompanying bitter accords, but in this fragrance the smooth, sweet, earthy supporting notes make it gorgeous.

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

I agree with fellow reviewers. Intense in its opening, but wait for those notes to begin their journey.
Wow- so worth it in the end....the white florals settle into the myhrr, sandalwood, labdanum base...

Absolutely beautiful and radiant.
Men & Women can wear this, Gender constructs are there to be dismantled in the day and age of 2016!!!

Madrona
Madrona

You know what?

This reminds me a lot of Dior Poison Girl, and I really like it for that reason.

*ducks rotten tomatoes*

Lola36*2
Lola36*2

Velvet Orchid asks you elegantly dressed. It is intense in its opening, but not shrill style. It has a creaminess in its composition that to spend the hours it envelops you in a cloud. It has an incredible length. Elegant and full of personality.

deda147

Offbeat but glam; that's how I would describe Tom Ford's Orchid family. This is my second review for VO, since i just bought myself a used bottle. I've always found VO an intriguing scent, albeit not worth the high price.
From the opening on it immediately reminds me of BO and it's first flanker, Voile de Fleur. Since I previously extensively described my experience with VO, I'll keep it short this time. The impression it gives me now is the funky white flower symphony accord featured in all the Orchid fragrances, except VO has this sort of lacquered sheen. The white flowers are clean but have an indolic touch. The other flowers are more of a smooth blend and I can't pick them out separately. The rum and honey give the fragrance a high pitched sweetness (but it isn't overpowering), whereas myrrh, suede and sandalwood give it a murky, make-up, skin like powderyness. It's very well balanced. I can't determine the sillage - it seems to hover around you like a diffused cloud. I'm glad I snapped it up.

Godisnowhere666
Godisnowhere666

I had such high hopes for this fragrance, I was expecting a more powder soft finish, like a cosy warm musk sweet element. Black orchid sparkles at the beginning, and in five minutes after wearing turns to a slightly softer version of 'cardboard' smelling violet blonde. If you already own bo and violet blonde, mix the two and save your money, as this is what I believe tf has done in creating velvet orchid. Bring back black orchid voile de fleur! , which holds so much more sophistication. Silliage is moderate, lasts four hours on my skin.

Update- I used a different shower gel in musky olive milk scent and re applied, and have found it is developed into more soft powdery, which was what I was hoping for in the first place. Interestingly I also applied at night in cooler temp. It is now tame and not cardboard smelling. Def doesn't suit a lemon, citrus based shower gel as prep layer.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Velvet Orchid is a gorgeous floral fragrance with a little something extra. While Black Orchid was out of this world, this is a more wearable and more terrestrial orchid. This doesn't have the heavy layers that Black Orchid has and is in fact much simpler yet equally as elaborate and refined. The opening notes are citrusy nothing special just fresh and lovely. The first part of the fragrance is my favorite because I really do taste something like honey wine. It's a mixture of rum and honey very boozy and delicious. The flowers in the heart are absolutely beautiful. 3 of my favorite flowers are here: heliotrope, rose and orchid. The orchid of course is the strongest and most dominant floral note and it's on here twice. The orchid is especially fragrant and noticeable and has more of the mysterious and darker romantic quality that Black Orchid has. So in this sense this wears like a flanker for Black Orchid. But it's more floral and not gourmand like Black Orchid. It's in harmony with all the other flowers including jasmine magnolia and hyacinth. All of these flowers are very strong on their own terms so to put them together is really quite a tour de force. Despite being heavily floral if you spritz with a light hand this never becomes too much or too intense. It has a subtlety within it and a sweetness that tempers the flower power. The vanilla is doing that, of course. Vanilla is a tempering note one of great substance and power which is why it's normally in the base and rarely anywhere else. Vanilla gives it longevity as well. There are a lot of balsamic aspects and the sandalwood especially stands out. This is really beautiful. I do love Black Orchid but this one has it's own charm and appeal. It's definitely more feminine whereas Black Orchid was masculine. This is Black Orchid's wife. It's a luxurious and sophisticated flower to wear in the evening in a romantic date, a Valentines Day fragrance or even a wedding fragrance if you're interested. Smells wonderful. Keep in mind that it doesn't work the same way on everyone. My body and chemistry can handle just about anything so I'm very different in that respect. On me this fragrance is a beautiful floral fragrance and it embraces my three all time favorite flowers of heliotrope rose and orchid. This is a seductive orchid although my favorite orchid fragrance will always be Rocher's Nuit D'Orchidee.

valentinocerca.amore
valentinocerca.amore

ASSOLUTAMENTE MERAVIGLIOSO ,SONO UN UOMO E CON QUESTO PROFUMO ADDOSSO MI SENTO MOLTO SEXY,UNA RAGAZZA MI HA ODORATO IL COLLO E DOPO MI HA LECCATO LA GUANCIA.10 ORE SULLA MIA PELLE ,UN VERO CAPOLAVORO.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Just an absolute dream in a bottle, Velvet Orchid, the name fits it to perfection, an absolutely perfect combination of Black Orchid, Honey and Vanilla. I love the design of the bottle, the longevity is through the roof. I love it!!

Maya24
Maya24

I have tested the Black Orchid in the past. It was too intense and aggressive for my nose. Last night I visited my local perfume store and I noticed they had 40% on Tom Ford perfumes. I tested the Velvet Orchid.
At first it was as brutal and intense as the Black Orchid is. Too smokey for me, too spicy and chocolate note is not really my thing... but when it dried off, I clearly understood why they named it Velvet...
It's feminine, sexy, creamy, spicy and floral in an expensive way. Yep. This baby smells classy.
It is really longlasting. 12 hours later I could still smell the base notes and its silage is good, but not offensive for the people around you.
Anyway, just bought a 30ml bottle. I strongly believe this can be my next signature...

RissaNez
RissaNez

First impression fumey, pungent, spicy, mature, animalic. If I press my nose too close it can be off putting. This perfume packs quite a punch (the kind that hurts) on its opening so I waited patiently and was at least able to enjoy the dry down which brought the vanilla to the forefront while softening what I imagine is the rum note (which happens to remind me of the boozy cognac note in Queen by Queen Latifah) thus creating a creamier smell. This scent doesn’t fit me yet. My nose needs to grow up a little.

White florals especially jasmine in my case can be fickle flowers don’t get me started on my regrettable two night stand with Truth or Dare juxtaposed with my appreciation of the jasmine queen Alien. My mother also did not get along with VO and we both thought it would better suit someone with a more mature scent palette. Mind you my opinion is based off of a small sample spritz and I will no doubt update my opinion after a few more tries.

Final thoughts, though I don’t yet love VO I can acknowledge that it’s lush and expensive smelling I also find the advertisement and bottle visually appealing and stunning. This heady rich scent conjures the image of a noir novels vampish villainess. She would drape herself in Velvet Orchid, a black silk jumper, and a cream colored fur. I hope to eventually get along with this scent I have a feeling her red lacquered talons won’t let go of me until I do.

Duskfall
Duskfall

I was unintentionally logged out while I was writing my review so it appeared as a "guest". :D Here we go again:

This is a hard one to review! When I tried it for the first time I thought "Oh no, this is dreadful! How can this be so popular?!". The borderline indolic flowers galore right after the deceptively calm opening nearly knocked me off my feet. A smooth and delicious drydown makes it all better, though. On that phase VO is almost a bit tropical, if that makes any sense. I must say that I've learned to like the floral part too. There's a slightly dark vibe in this scent, but it's not extremely somber and therefore I think it's very versatile. Velvet Orchid can be worn anywhere and anytime when one wants to feel cozy and confident. It's classy and sexy, but not pompous or stuffy. Wear it to work, lunch, shopping, dinner, clubbing, dates, lounging at home... VO won't seem out of place in any occasion!

I'm gonna get bashed for this, but it reminds me a bit of Crystal Noir by Versace; ironically I dislike that one, but Velvet Orchid is very nice. I'm not in love with it, at least not yet, but it's a solid like.

VO's lasting power is pretty good and it lingers relatively close to skin after the initial blast. It's definitely present, but I can't imagine it offending anyone in "normal doses". Very pleasant! And one more thing: the bottle is a stunner!

This is a hard one to review! When I tried it for the first time I thought "Oh no, this is dreadful! How can this be so popular?!". The explosive floral galore after the deceptively calm opening nearly knocked me off my feet. The smooth and tender drydown makes it all better, though, and I have even learned to like the floral part. The drydown is almost a bit tropical, if that makes any sense. There's something "dark" about this scent, but it's not TOO gloomy and therefore I think it's very versatile. Velvet Orchid can be worn anywhere and anytime when one wants to feel cosy and confident. It's classy and sexy, but not pompous or stuffy. Wear it to work, lunch, shopping, dinner, clubbing, dates, lounging at home... VO won't seem out of place in any occasion!

I'm gonna get bashed now, but it reminds me a bit of Crystal Noir by Versace; ironically I dislike that one, but I like Velvet Orchid. :D

Lkrautter
Lkrautter

I got a whiff of this recently and though I wouldn't compare the scent as whole to Allure by Chanel it does have that same velvety feel to it. Aptly named.

Soofiya
Soofiya

I am a black orchid hater and a velvet orchid lover,to me the later one is not to be even related to BO,completely different scents
Velvet orchid is something I can name a modern naughty femme fatale,smooth,lush,sexy,dark&mysterious,rich&deep,elegant&complex.a dark purple smell
It opens with a sweet,boozy rum note with very few citrus hit,soon there are blusts of floral(mostly orchid and jasmine)floating in a soft base of honey and rum,sandalwood and a hint of vanilla are detectable in the dry down
some people may name it a clean scent(regarding to it's powdery aspect)but to my nose There is something animalic here,also an oriental vibe (honey,myrrh,suede combo)but not very obvious
Velvet orchid is a dark,warm and sweet fragrance but not overwhelmingly sweet or cloying(unless you overspray it)
Longevity and sillage are excellent on me
One of my top ten most beloved perfumes

soniamcalear

I mix this formula with Bronze by Ellen Tracy, really mellows out this scent beautifully!!!! The two are a beautiful marriage indeed. I love Velvet Orchid but I longed for a more sweet musky mellowness and Ellen Bronze does that for this scent. I like mixing my scents to concoct different scents, it's my delight in doing this.

ayh210
ayh210

Since so many people compare Black Orchid to Velvet Orchid and say that this reminds them the other and vice versa. I have to say that that is SO misleading.
I suppose if I didn't have them both on at the same time I could say there's something about Velvet Orchid overall that reminds me of Black Orchid, but doing a side by side comparison they are light years apart.
I suppose this should really be an example of why people shouldn't blind buy perfumes based on others recommendations of "this reminds me of."
Velvet Orchid opens with a burst of citrus and hint of jasmine. The jasmine quickly takes over and develops beautifully with warm undertone of myrrh. About an hour and a half to 2 hours later, jasmine seems to get stronger and mixes with heliotrope with undertones of sandalwood. It remains a more ethereal and lighter fragrance.

Black Orchid opens up really melon-y on my skin, but a musky, sultry dark melon. Sillage starts much stronger than Velvet Orchid. The melon mellows and turns into a smooth chocolatey and velvety aroma with hints of amber and patchouli.

These are both intoxicating but completely incomparable and can not be substitutes in any way shape or form for another.

Miss Precious Orchid
Miss Precious Orchid

I can see why a lot of people prefer this over the original Black Orchid. It is definitely stronger and sweeter and has a floral twist. Sexy for sure. I admit when I tried both at the beginning I was leaning more toward this one but having got Black Orchid I have to say my taste is for that instead. I luv the truffle, skankiness of the BO. VO seems a little too tailor made. VO is a very beautiful woman from afar but up close you see all the layers of heavily applied makeup that looks unappealing. It went to skin scent very quickly, memorable yes and on the whole pretty good scent.

kre8tivthinkr
kre8tivthinkr

Okay, this for me is an aphrodisiac in a bottle. Not just for those around me...I need to be careful about when and where I wear this. I don't always have the time to be distracted by such things. It makes me feel amorous, insanely desirable, beautiful and bold. Intoxicating. Maddening. Irresistible. I don't know if it affects those around me in this way. Perhaps there is an unconscious association in one of the notes, of which I am blithely unaware that still provides such a strong and immediate visceral reaction.

On me, this is a warm, dark, delectable fragrance. On me there is a sweetness that is amplified, but does not overwhelm the fantasy florals. I'm only just now learning what patchouli smells like, I guess that's the main note in the base. Whatever it is is smoky, woody, exotic, mysterious, maybe even a little dangerous. I do get lots of textural associations with this one, silk sheets, lace lingerie and of course velvet. It has the slightest hint of powder or dust that just provides that velvety feel. Remember that velvet has a nap, if you run your hand with the grain, it silky, powdery smooth. But if you go against the grain it's rougher. For some reason I feel that Velvet Orchid employs both the silky and rough components of velvet that, when combined with that hint of powder, gives a realistic synesthetic (you can smell the texture) experience of a luxurious textile.

Interestingly this is quite linear on me. As a novice fragrance appreciator I don't notice much if any difference in the composition from first spray to last sniff. To me it kind of slaps me in the face with its sensuality and sexuality. The sillage appears to be strong so go easy. It's by far the longest lasting fragrance I have tested and enjoyed. Longevity is amazing and the strength stays stronger than most.

AliPratt25
AliPratt25

Dark, boozy, rum dipped orchid flower....very earthy and musky at first. After about 20 minutes this dries down to a sweet, soft sandlewood scent on me and smells somewhat unisex. Definitely suited for fall or winter in my opinion and a sexy night time fragrance too. Sillage and longevity are excellent. I applied this in the morning, took a shower in the afternoon and still smelled it on my wrist! Lovely!

TeaAndRoses
TeaAndRoses

Overall this is warm, sweet, and powdery on me. Wood, vanilla, and powdery orchids consistently stand out from first spray, until it all but disappears 5-8 hours later. The opening is slightly fruity and bright, and the drydown is a little bit dark and leathery. Velvet Orchid is very different from the fresh florals that I usually wear, so I was worried this would be too loud and gourmand for my taste -and it does project quite a bit when freshly sprayed- but it seems to settle into a soft, comforting scent that I love. This scored compliments around the office as well.

purpleturtle
purpleturtle

Don't know why I can't seem to get this fragrance or the mysterious Black Orchid. Opening and middle smells very bitter and sour to me. Flowers that have gone bad. Has a bite to it, very acrid. Wish I could smell what others do. Left it on all night... But in the morning , the drydown did smell fabulous. The fact that it was still there 11 hours later is something!! Don't think I can go through the top and middle to get to that drydown. Just don't enjoy that type of smell yet. Maybe in time my nose will change and I will understand the draw. For now, I will leave it to others to enjoy. Happy smelling! :)

KellyKel
KellyKel

Right away this reminded me of White Shoulders. This however, is modern. No old lady accord to it, nope. This is for the modern femme fatale. She knows what she has and uses everything in her arsenal, taking no prisoners. I can't wait to unleash this.

mymlan
mymlan

I really like this Orchid, this myrrh dominated fragrance. But also I think all the orchids has some kind of narrowness in it's notes. They never seem to really open up and bloom. I'm still kind of interested in it but I think that I already have fragrances that I enjoy more.

SoheePark
SoheePark

Lemme tell ya something...oh boy!
This smells: modern, feminine, femme fatale-sophisticated with a playful and flirty hint
Perfect for: winter mostly, autumn and summer too (during hot days DONT overspray this)
Sillage and longevity: 9/10
On me, the most powerful ingredients are the honey and rum. And the floral notes, of course. Not too sweet (unless you tend to overspray).

LE NEZ - zouhair
LE NEZ  - zouhair

Un parfum fleural surtout, ressemble un peu au black orchid de la même marque, mais plus dark comme parfum, plus mystérieux et moins intense que le black orchid, mais il reste tout de mêmes un peu plus fruité...
un parfum unisexe et non que pour femme

Krissylovesjesus
Krissylovesjesus

Tom Ford-Black Orchid I recently received this perfume in a swap,and at first when I sprayed....very strong yet I liked it strong to yeah I'm tuff lol,anyway then after about maybe 40 minutes it dryed&mellowed down to this scent that to me to a dark mysterious feeling,yes it reminds me slightly if velvet had a scent it is in this perfume, also not in a bad way but the bouquet of flowers at a funeral, I've been to alot of funerals, but not in a bad way almost like this perfume takes my mind to another place,it reminds me of velvet,the flowers at the funeral,along with a mysterious dark flower from the dark side almost like the evil&good mixed as a orchid ,yet shown as beautiful &powerful,if a perfume could collect memories&bring them back with a spray of Tom ford black orchid, he has done it for me,this is strong in longevity, also unique, well done,T.M.♡

sha.zam
sha.zam

Coming from Asia this smells alot like scents Tamils in India use. Can't recall if it's what the ladies use for hair or something else.

giokaal
giokaal

Dark sexy and mysterious!!!!!!
I love this one very happy to have it!!!!
Floral yet deep!!! Amazing classy stuff!!!
I would name it Dark orchid as I m not getting the smoothness of velvet!!!!
Everytime I spray it I get this nice powerful hit! As if the perfume is yelling "hello I m here" and this lasts long!!!!! As a man wearing it I get many compliments and it's chemistry works great with me! No one seems to figure out what I m wearing! Some say its heavy I don't agree at all!!! But I would definitely suggest this amazing fragrance for winter time!!!!!
Not to be confused or even related to Black orchid!!!!!!! Two completely different scents!!!!!

Thanks
G.

petroleuse
petroleuse

I love Black Orchid, and this is a great sister fragrance... it's more flowery, but still dark, and I can see myself wearing this in the daytime. The jasmine comes out so beautifully on my skin... Funny, but although it's mostly thought of as an evening/winter fragrance, I would definatly use this in the spring, maybe also in the summer (if it's not too hot), and more as a casual day scent. It stays relatively close to the skin on me, so no great risk of offending anybody ;)

ell_bee
ell_bee

Am I weird or is there a strong TM Alien vibe here? The jasmine is very prominent on my skin.

The floral softness of this one, compared to the earthy harshness of BO anyway, makes it seem as though the lasting power and sillage are just sliiightly lackluster compared to Black Orchid. I like the comparison of them as sisters... Younger sis Velvet Orchid secretly longs to someday reek of the dirty, sexy, witch of a thing her older sis Black Orchid is... then again, she's also secretly relieved that she'll never quite be THAT bold. Alas, the family resemblance remains, they're both pretty hot in their own way, and they juxtapose each other nicely like a good pair of sisters should.

nvenus
nvenus

I really didn't like this one and on top of that, it almost gave me a headache just like the other Tom Ford perfumes around.

I felt the orchid note which was bitter.
... If I ever bother to try and analyse it again, I'll come back for a more detailed review.

soniamcalear

Very nice Powdered Down Dry version of the original TF BO. i REALLY REALLY LOVE THIS NEW VERSION!!! I got rid of my old bottle of the original because I didn't care for it but trying this new version has done very well with me. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this new version!!!!

Merdogan1
Merdogan1

Bildiğimiz "Black Orchid" kokusunu hatırlatan ama onun çok daha az kalıcı ve light versiyonu. Sanki biraz daha kadınsı ama kokusu yine çok güzel. Yaz mevsimine uygun değil. İlkbahar ve sonbahar mevsimlerinde çok yakışır. Tenimde kalıcı olmadı. Kıyafetlerde çok daha kalıcı bir hal alıyor. kapalı ortamlarda "Black Orchid" yanında daha ferah kalıyor. Gerçekten kokuyu sevdim. Koku kalitesi sebebiyle biraz karizma ve özenli kıyafet giyen herkese çok yakışır. Bahar mevsimlerinde, biraz karizma sahibi olan ve çok ergen olmayan yaştaki erkeklere de yakışır. Gayet kaliteli ve beğendiğim bir koku.

Not : Yorumlarımı ve özel mesajlarıma cevaplarımı sadece Türkçe olarak yapacağım. Böylece yabancı dil konusunda sıkıntı yaşayan arkadaşlara gerçekten denediğim parfümlerdeki kendi görüşlerimi paylaşmayı amaçlıyorum.

KLAC91
KLAC91

Velvet Orchid:
Velvet Orchid was purported to be the nicer, more feminine version of it's melancholic dark sister Black Orchid. And I think they've achieved that here. This perfume is dense, but it isn't as dark and sad smelling as Black -Black smells like introspection to me, but this is about Velvet. (You can read my review of Black on it's page). Velvet is dark, but in a different way. It's vampish, sexy, carnal. Velvet is more outgoing, outspoken and likable than her sister who is much more reserved, quiet and lives in her mind but with such pent up intensity. (I'm talking about character here, not sillage). But they are both heavy and dark, and you can immediately tell that they are from the same vein. Velvet starts with an intoxicating mix of vanilla and bourbon, a beautiful opening. As it dries down however, it loses some of it's character. The bourbon in the opening is gone, and all that's left were really dark, sexy smelling vanilla with hints of indistinct florals, incense and musk. Now, these combination of notes actually smells dark, and sensual, but I really wanted for the bourbon note to stick around longer. That is why last year, when this perfume came out, I was debating whether to get this or another bottle of Black. I chose Black but if Velvet had kept that interesting opening, I probably would have gotten it. What I did instead was I asked for a few sample vials of Velvet. I've worn this a few times and I still was not blown away by the dry-down. Last weekend however, when I got home from school, I decided to spray some Dior Poison on top of Velvet before heading back out to meet some friends for drinks. I came home late from school and didn't have time to take a shower. Haha! So, Poison, being the other purple bitch from the house of Dior, another dark, mysterious, va va voom kind of scent. And the result? H-E-A-V-E-N. The incense and vanilla from Velvet has amped up Poison and it was BEAUTIFUL! I may just get a small bottle of this so I could keep layering these two. OR, I could just ask for more samples to save some money. Haha! All night I was surrounded by the dark heaviness of these two perfumes! I was in the mood for something dark and spicy that night and it was perfect. I'm not saying Velvet is inferior by any means, no ma'am! This is a powerful beast! Nor am I saying it needs something else for it to be likable. No. I actually really like Velvet! But since I've had a long standing relationship with Black, I am going to stay loyal to it. Velvet is beautiful in it's own way. If black is introspection, velvet is not necessarily extroversion, but she is more comfortable in showing people her inner sultriness. And this is all based on my own perception, so take all of this with a grain of salt. This is how I see these fragrances, this is how my nose perceives them.

I guess this became more of my comparisons between the two Orchids rather than a review. I'm sorry, I intended to go on a totally different direction with this post but... oh well! Haha! This is how I view these sisters. Both beautiful. If only I had a big enough perfume fund, I'd probably have gotten both!

Kathakali
Kathakali

I love Velvet Orchid. For me it's the perfect combination of soft, warm, sexy, chic, but not too serious. It makes me feel "womanly", if there is such a thing. If Velvet Orchid were a piece of clothing, it would be an oversized cashmere sweater.

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

Velvet Orchid is the sweet, gentle younger sister of Black Orchid. Velvet is the sister that people are taken with because of her straightforward nature, depth of personality and loyalty. The elder sister, Black, though beautiful, is moody and can be difficult to read. Black is brazen and reserved at the same time; she can make a grand entrance and then mysteriously disappear just as quickly as she came. Both sisters are lovely - but the one I prefer near me is the younger...

Velvet Orchid is a rich and creamy floral fragrance that makes one really envision purple velvet when whiffed. My skin hangs on to sweet jasmine, rose, vanilla & honey, "suede" and spiced rum. These notes seems to translate into a spicy, flowery, coconut scent, which makes me feel absolutely euphoric. This has a resinous, deep feel to it, but I detect no smoke notes. Stylish, yet cozy, Velvet Orchid smells high-quality and is very well composed.

This fragrance lasts for ages on my clothes and a good few hours on the skin. I have felt major disappointment with the longevity of some Tom Ford fragrances - I am glad this one lasts, unlike Black Orchid!

If you like Velvet or Black Orchid but the price point doesn't jive with ya, I think Versace's Crystal Noir will offer you the same kind of "feel" while being far less costly.

kbot
kbot

Like most TF's, I think Velvet Orchid is just brilliant and am still wrapping my head around it. It's complex and heady, and not for the faint of heart. I think this (and Black Orchid for that matter) is sort of your showstopper, big night, event perfume, but I can't really see myself pulling it off for just an evening out. My body chemistry also has a tricky relationship with sandalwood, TBH--sometimes it really does not work for me, and this one is right on the edge, especially after wearing it for a while. However, I also tend to get more violet as it dries down, which I really enjoy.

Velvet Orchid is sort of like that one fabulous NYE party that you look back on with vivid, breathless memories, but couldn't possibly repeat more than once a year for your own sanity.

racb
racb

When looked at alongside Black Ochid, this perfume is much younger, lighter and more floral.

I got a very strong association with violets on first spritz, which dried quickly down to a more complex floral fragrance. I really had high hopes but I'm sorry to say that on me it dried down To a very one note rose floral, powder smell. The longevity was excellent though, still clearly noticeable 6 hours later.

Not intensive enough or mysterious enough for me, although if my daughter was late teens or twenties I would buy this for her.

It's very pleasant, but a bit of a starter perfume.

sophia*rose
sophia*rose

Velvet Orchid... I was so eager to get my hands on this scent, after smelling it in an airport in Kiev for the first time and waiting to transfer to my next flight. I had read all the reviews and it sounded so amazing. Since last week it is sitting on my shelf.

When I took it out of the box and removed the cap, I could already get a whiff of the scent... and my first thought was: "woah... this smells like sin." Then I sprayed it on my wrist, and wow.. what a burst of different fumes, it was almost like a small explosion that eventually settles elegantly on the skin nontheless.

I researched the notes carefully and loved the process of finding the rum, magnolia and hyacinth, and trying to smell my way through the rest. I must admit that I have never smelled a truly fragrant orchid before, and so I don't have a very good reference point for discovering orchids in scents. But as I continue to wear this, I think a good impression of fragrant orchids will grow on me.

Something that I do want to mention, and this might be very individual because all our skins are different, is the longevity of the heart notes. I was expecting it to last longer on my skin, I guess I was imagining something as powerful as Angel, with the scent lingering for hours and hours. Instead, I am left with a pleasant but less exciting remnant of the base notes, after about 1.5-2 hours. So, on my skin it is a bit like: BOOM, and then before you know it, the party is kind of over. Since my skin is on the dry side I will try putting some unscented lotion on beforehand to see if that makes a difference.

Overall, a very unique and beautiful scent, I definitely recommend it.

Marina_22
Marina_22

To be honest, I'm not very fond of the opening. The notes seem delicious but my nose doesn't agree, I smell something that reminds me of aftereight (yes, I know, really weird).

But the drydown WOW. I can smell the vanilla, the sandalwood, the myrrh and the suede, and the mix of them is really good. That good that when I made it to the airport this summer for my trip to Oporto I bought a big bottle. It wasn't cheap and I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I barely ate for 5 days, but it was worth it.

FYI, I lost 2 kilos during my trip (too much sport and not enough calories). I guess I make a lot of stupid decisions.

Perfumelover515
Perfumelover515

Velvet Orchid is one of my favorite Tom Ford perfumes. The only reason I have yet to add it to my collection (not sure if I ever will) is because I find it to be too strong for my tastes & skin chemistry (as most TF perfumes are.) It is like a burst of floral notes with some incense. Most Tom Ford perfumes are bold & strong, not for people who don't want to be noticed. Velvet Orchid is no different.

GeorgiaMoxie
GeorgiaMoxie

I wasn't really sure about what to expect here because my first impression of Black Orchid was that it reminds me of this pond I used to go fishing for catfish. I blind bought Velvet anyway because I do love the elements of BO (if I can avoid the association with catfish water) and hoped that this one would smooth it out. I didn't find this to be all that remarkable at first spritz but when it dries down it becomes a very warm earthy woody slightly leathery and mysteriously vanillic fragrance that I love. The longevity is fantastic, it stayed noticeable for a solid day from dress to undress. I recently snagged an extra bottle! I am an absolute sucker for sexy leathery vanillic fragrances.

I find it weird that some people say it smells like an old person, I pretty much expect those reviewers to be in the candy-lovers category. This is not your current teen scene fragrance I guess although if they think this smells like an old lady and I'm 33 then I'm definitely in trouble.

ETA: I don't view the Orchid fragrances as singular where you have to choose one over the other...like Team Velvet vs. Team Black like we're getting all Twilight up in here. To me VO and BO (or BOEDT) are just different shades of Orchid to wear at different times of year or to match different moods and outfits and the chemistry of different people. It's nothing but love here people!

hsheep
hsheep

Velvet Orchid just broke up with me. When I was first testing it, I found it to be a very dark and sensual scent, spicy sweet with beautiful florals. Now all I get is something screechy that just won't relax. All the notes I got before are still there, but something happened to this scent... I tried Black Orchid the next day.

Sorry VO! Your big sis, in her sexy black dress, stilettos and blood red lipstick, just shoved you aside. You were trying to hard. Black Orchid is where it's at for me.

LadyDi
LadyDi

Fruity with an undertone of sandalwood. Smells exactly like Belle d' Opium.
Good for someone in their 20's.

tabitha106
tabitha106

Tom Ford's Velvet Orchid is a delicious play on the senses with it's soft floral-honey opening swirled with rum. Think I'm in love with this sultry scent. It definitely makes you feel sexy--like LBD with black strappy sling-backs sexy--even if I'm just in a tank top & jean cut-offs with flip flops on my patio!! Velvet Orchid is NOT a flighty girl with flowers floating around--but rather the sexy chick who is successful but still a little naughty! Think it may be the rich base of sandalwood, suede and vanilla that transforms those delicate petals into something warm and wonderful on the skin. Thank you Tom Ford--Velvet Orchid will be a regular scent--day or night for me!

This is a very nice scent. Luxurious and sweet. The notes smell very natural to me. I can smell orchid, honey, vanilla and spices. Elegant and complex modern fragrance. I think it's the best Tom Ford's scent I have tried so far.
A good one for cold times.

ChaiLatte2009
ChaiLatte2009

I cannot express my love for this scent. It's such a beautiful winter fragrance. Perfect balance between feminine, cozy and elegant. In my opinion it has very little in common with the original Black Orchid which is shrill patchouli-chocolate concoction, this is boozy rum drink with natural vanilla beans in it, standing at an elegant vintage table full of blooming orchids. More along the lines of Hypnotic Poison. Very smooth, with addition of mystery.

miletas89
miletas89

This is the sex bomb of all possible sex bombs. Hot and lusty. It is SO warm and feminine, perfect for colder months, but also opens up beautifully in the heat of the summer. Disregard the horrible reviews from fragrance bloggers who treat it as a bad Black Orchid flanker. Black Orchid is gorgeous, but it is divided into two groups of fans (and non-fans). The people who like it usually love it to death and the people who don't like it usually find it intolerable. This one, on the other hand, is sure to please everyone. Very easy to wear and extremely sexy.

Asinya
Asinya

Yeah, it IS good - it's just that I am absolutely sure I have smelled similar (to confusion) at Boots for under 40 euro...and on top of that, longevity is so meh it's not even funny.

I mean, I don't dislike it - I do like it, but what's the point of this perfume existing, when it's already been done several times at a third of the price? (If I can figure out What it is it smells like, I'll add that, so people don't have to throw money away unnecessarily...)

Lito2
Lito2

Orchid velvet smells more feminine than Black Orchid, but it is not in any way more clear or more pure. Shares part of the density of Black Orchid with the oriental feeling, but I appear more "Floral" and spun.
For me, Velvet Orchid is more feminine than Black Orchid WiFi making it clear that they are different perfumes.
It would define it as Oriental, very voluptuous and intense; resulting warm and deep. Very very sophisticated.

perfume_infatuated
perfume_infatuated

the honey-myrrh combo gives it a strange, very oriental vibe. it's kind of smoky, but that's not mentioned in the description. I just don't know... but this smells old-fashion for me.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Velvet Orchid opens on my skin with a citrus-jasmine combo underscored by boozy rum. It's bright, contrary to the interplay of darkness and luminosity of Black Orchid, and it feels rather dry, almost sharp and shrill at times, instead of being velvety as I'd imagined according to its name.

The fragrance then proceeds with a more pronounced woody, spicy aspect, and eventually turns into a golden syrup of honey, while the raisin-y fruitiness of rum and jasmine remains at the center stage.

The sillage is heavy to moderate, and the longevity can reach 12h+. Although I get occasional whiffs of white floral reminiscent of Black Orchid, overall I find Velvet Orchid quite different with its mostly bright mood. It also lacks the interesting, even quirky interplay of bitter sweetness in Black Orchid, which makes it a more conventional floriental. I'd suggest testing before buying, since I don't find it too closely linked to Black Orchid.

jrhmakeupartistry
jrhmakeupartistry

There';s something about Tom Ford products that make me either want to slap him or kiss him. I'm a makeup artist and I stock his products in my kit. If any of you have used his makeup, you know it isn't inexpensive, but I keep buying it because there's just something about his products that translate so well on women of all ages and skin tones. He has a clear vision of what lady should look like from head to toe, and he captures that essence in every way with every product he produces.

Back to the perfume.... I am not a huge fan of Black Orchid. I would say that I am neutral leaning ever so slightly towards dislike when it comes to Black Orchid. For me, it was just too aggressive and stern, and it has been my experience that when most people wear the Black Orchid, they are very liberal with it, and I just think that killed it for me. I liked it enough to consider trying Velvet Orchid.

I purchased a bottle of Velvet Orchid and oh my goodness, where do I start? Velvet Orchid is pure unadulterated sweet sex for the soul. Velvet Orchid opens with a sweet boozey rum note with a few citrus hits here and there. Smelling this scent is like for lack of a better example, sucking on a jaw breaker... There are so many unique and distinct notes layered on top of one another. I get lots of Heliotrope, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, and Narcissus on me. One layer is more pleasing than the next, and you will find yourself liking particular notes in this fragrance that you have never liked before. I generally don't care for vanilla but it works with the warm resinous sandalwood base.

There is something about Velvet Orchid that is or can be all things for different people. Velvet Orchid is so sexy and sweet but so naughty and dirty. One can definitely tell that Black Orchid and Velvet Orchid are related, but they couldn't be any more different... kind of like fraternal twins. Some people have said that if you like Black Orchid you'll probably like Velvet Orchid. I don't know if I would agree with that statement. I believe that if you like Black Orchid, this one may not be for you; however, I encourage you to give Velvet Orchid a shot. Velvet Orchid is wild and uninhibited in the sweetest of ways, and I adore it.

sugarlemon
sugarlemon

While I appreciate this scent VERY much, it's not for me. Light, citrusy scents go best for me. I got this as a free gift from work. It's powerful, like a rum and honey drenched bundle of incense. I love Tom Ford and his scent philosophy, but this one is not for me. I prefer his Grey Vetiver, Neroli Portofino, and White Patchouli.

Lombao
Lombao

I prefer this Velvet than the Black one, both unisex and dark smell.
Too much spotlight on the Black orchid and nobody is talking about this. I don't know how long it last, I just recommend to have a snif.

miss mills
miss mills

Thank you so much to my friend Xrayer for this generous sample! This smells so much like a heavier version on Jasmin Noir on my skin that it's impossible not to compare!
There's MASSIVE amounts of jasmine and sandalwood in here, and narcissus. It's a rich velvet brew alright, which hits the nose in a very distinctive Tom Ford way, in much the same way as Jo Malone perfumes are instantly recognisable. TF has definitely worked out his signature blends. The suede is there, this is more of a jasmine and basenotes dominant fragrance, to my nose, anyway. The middle notes are skimmed or perhaps overridden by the other, headier ones present.
This is gorgeous but I feel like it's wearing me, not the other way around and for that reason, I'll stick to my nuttier, lighter, Jasmin Noir.

Venusia
Venusia

Tried this today. Absolutely wonderfully blended notes, with some smoke on top like burned honey, orchid and white flowers, myrrh... Very sexy and elegant at the same time, not nose hurting, not cloingly sweet, nothing nauseating. A sheer scents' heaven on my skin. I guess I want it!

I've got my bottle. After two applies and longer smelling, I can tell that on my skin the scent is only strong at first spray. I smell jasmine, a little rose and subtle magnolia and smoked sandalwood (does anyone else get smoke?), licorice, honey and myrrh. I don't know how an orchid should can smell like, I love orchids and have 15! None has a an aromatic scent. They smell like smth. very light greenisch-woody.
Well, the scent is fine, but hasn't got anything extraordinary or absolutely recognizible. The drydown is to me a fainter Hypnotic Poison: sweet, vanilla, sandalwood, a bit of incense, but lacks the latter's personality. Not a keeper in my collection.

Livvy111
Livvy111

A clean and classy floral. More glamorous than I'm used to but still understated. Quite a few layers but not cloying or messy. I'm not into overly sweet perfumes and even though it 'sweet' its very comforting and wearable. More of a grown up fragrance (couldn't really see a teenager wearing this...) I think you would feel very special wearing this on an evening out. Maybe more of an Autumn/Winter fragrance. Really stunning!

goldiloks
goldiloks

On paper, this smells delightful! On my skin however, it turned into an ugly sister of Jasmin Noir (the upside being, no headache!). My skin just doesn't enhance florals in a good way :( i find this quite different from Black Orchid, so worth sampling even if you didn't like that :)
Skin chemistry is such a weird and wonderful thing. I envy you gals (and guys!) who can wear this well.

spiderleenie
spiderleenie

I don't know how I feel about this fragrance. I was so excited to try it, but I'm left pretty confused?

Upon first spray, I can only pick up on the honey and the rum notes. They are overpowering to the point where it smells floral and very medicinal. That's not a sexy combination, in my opinion.

As it dries down more, the rum tends to fade a lot on my skin as the orchid comes out, which brings both a softness and a sweetness (because I think orchids smell sweet). I notice the leather note coming out to play with the orchid, and while it's a strong smell, I like this combination. Eventually, I can detect the rose faintly in the background along with some of the other floral notes. Unfortunately, my nose can't detect any of the citrus notes, the orange blossom, or the jasmine, which leaves out a freshness I may have appreciated with this perfume.

To put it more simply, this perfume starts out with honey and rum being smashed in your face (to the point of being cloying and sleazy), but it eventually mellows out into being a strong floral with leather and a soft sandalwood. I find the drydown to be quite sexy or more sophisticated.

Velvet Orchid is a confusing one. I very much dislike the opening to the fragrance, but I enjoy how it "mellows" out on the drydown. Don't get me wrong: When I say it "mellows out," it is still a VERY strong fragrance. If you only like sweet fruity florals or gourmands, then you might hate this. I wish I could skip the initial assault to my nose with that obnoxious rum note, though.

As with all Tom Ford fragrances, this is one of those "one and done" types of perfumes. All you need is a single spray; nothing more. In terms of the perfume's sillage and strength, it's an A+. Don't be liberal with spraying this stuff on you; you might kill yourself and everyone in your path if you do that, haha!

Dort0625
Dort0625

I'm not sure what it is about this perfume that I hate so much, but it's repulsive! It smells like something that an old lady would have worn in the 80s, and I don't mean an old sophisticated woman. I mean the one sitting at a bar flirting with much younger men and has next to no teeth in her mouth! Lol that's a bit harsh but it's the truth, at least it is for me! Ya know, it's well known that perfume settles on the skin differently from person to person, but my god what is it that makes one person love this and the next hate it....I could understand slight differences of opinions just based of personal preference, but for this to be a total love or a total hate...that makes no sense to me. It's like there is no happy medium, it's either people love it or hate it

nataliebf
nataliebf

Oh Tom...Tom...Tom...how is it that one squirt of this can turn me from a square professional to a vampy femme fatale? This boozy masterpiece is the "thigh high fishnet stockings" of the perfume world. A little dirty, mysterious, and completely unforgettable. Amazing!

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

holy mother of god. it starts out on me exactly how the name is like velvet. smooth, floral, boozy,and sweet. i get the honey and suede, vanilla, and floral notes. i think this is very sensuous and omg its just amazing. i never thought i would like it but im so glad i do. i got it because my husband likes honey notes while i typically dont, but this is yes.

i think its better for fall, winter, and i think if worn light you could wear it during the day. not a really really sexy scent but definitely like velvet drapes. where you see them and know they are soft and you want to touch them. not a rip your cloths off, but more of a on a fur carpet in front of a fire in winter. candles and soft skin. not romantic but sensuous in a sexy way.

i dunno if i would consider it business professional. unless you like someone at work. or i guess it could be oka if worn light. otherwise i think its sexy time perfume.

i wore it for my husband tonight and he said "you need to be wearing leather with this" and he likes it.

jacmac
jacmac

Much more wearable than Black Orchid, which is over the top sex, truffles and earth for daytime use IMO. Velvet Orchid still is much more an evening than daytime perfume for me. Orchid, Rum, Vanilla and a bit of the mushroomy truffle note of its big sister, but less raunchy. I wear this when I feel a bit naughty, but never to work. It's more cheeky and dirty than conservative. I don't get any citrus at all.

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

Oh how I love the opening here . . . it's so sensual and sweet. But my nemesis, honey, makes an appearance and will not recede. It leaves this twangy, tart, uriney residue floating between all the lovely florals and balsamic notes. It's unfortunate because I really wanted this to develop like a lighter version of Black Orchid minus the chocolate note. Why oh why did they add honey!?!?!? It would have been perfect without it!!! I will try layering this with a myrrh or vanilla frag to see if I can hush that honey a bit. BTW I absolutely LOVE Black Orchid and there's no honey!!!

Sevipants19
Sevipants19

Well, if you can't buy Amouage Memoir, this one will do just fine. :)

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I've been on the hunt for a sensual evening floriental; something creamy yet elegant, contemporary, not harsh or too loud yet distinct, and refined. This isn't it!

Velvet Orchid is a bit like Black Orchid (which I only like in dry down) in its distinctive sillage, and creamy/fruity/spicy feel, but it's probably less unique. It does share the similarly creamy/woody far dry down though, probably the nicest part

The opening shouts 'clubby!' to me - this perfume is probably ideal for one of those Tiki bars or clubs. It smells like a jug of some sweet, fruity, exotic rum cocktail. You might enjoy it at the time, but you'll regret it later!

The dry down is pleasant, but nothing unusual, I'd not buy it but being in my late 40s I'm not the target market really! If, like me, you've mostly worn unusual woodsy, green floral or smoky/sweet perfumes, it's quite tricky finding a satisfying refined, yet sensual floriental. So far TF's Shanghai Lily is my favourite, it has enough complexity to add intrigue and elegance.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

Oh WOW! I have to confess that at first I wondered what the hype was with Velvet Orchid, but now I am hooked. I also couldn't understand why I couldn't smell it, soon after spraying. Today it is hot and the air is heavy with humidity. I wore it today and I keep getting wafts of the most addicting boozy orchid with a smoke/incense trail. Aha! So for me, it likes hot, humid weather. That means I wear it in summer. Try wearing it on a warm humid day and see if it does the same thing for you. In cool weather it barely does anything, but in hot weather, WOW.

jellybeantree

This is a modern day poison in some ways. I agree with the previous commenter saying that ! I think this is the best smelling fragrances I have !! Sexy , modern , a little edgy and sweet. Not super strong but long lasting . This perfume is for ladies who love dark florals.

UPDATE/
I have been reaching for this fragrance everyday . I love it and enjoy wearing it, it doesn't seem like a fragrance I can get bored of . Happy I have it in my collection!

jellybeantree

Finally purchased this beauty !!! YEAH!!!!!

skylamor
skylamor

This scent is very pretty, sweet, more feminine than Black Orchid. Black Orchid has a more oriental, incense vibe whereas White Orchid is boozey (rum) vanilla and myrrh based. Both lovely perfumes in their own right. This one could be worn year round compared to BO that leans more toward being a winter scent. I get no citrus whatsoever in Velvet Orchid yet is shows mandarin orange and bergamot as listed notes.

ClairaNox
ClairaNox

Is there anything Tom Ford can't do? I bought this to give myself a break from my usual Black Orchid. This one is just as amazing as BO, albeit it's perhaps slightly more feminine than unisex. However, with that said, I don't believe gender should apply to a fragrance. If you want to wear it, go for it!

On my skin, Velvet Orchid is more sweet and vanilla where Black Orchid is more rich and spicy. I love both equally until I get to the drydown. Remember this is on my skin and you may have better results. Unfortunately, the drydown of VO on my skin leaves me with just vanilla and sandalwood. While I love sandalwood, too much vanilla smells unsophisticated to my nose. However, BO smells like Heaven to me all the way through.

I've received many compliments on both of these, especially from men! I think it's safe to put both of these in the "man-magnet" category.

If you're trying to decide between the two and want more of a soft edge, I'd recommend Velvet Orchid.

olivesaddiction
olivesaddiction

I don't have any prior experience with this fragrance but I love black orchid, I wanna get this but a little sceptical on the longetivity........any help?

canadianpetite

Boozy with rum and extremely sweet with honey. A bit of vanilla too. Youthful and casual over the more glam and sultry TF Black Orchid. I have both but I prefer Black Orchid. In the drydown, I dislike Velvet Orchid for its coca cola soda note on my skin. Like other TF, this lasts long and has big sillage so spray lightly when in small quarters or around scent sensitive people.

One spray on me:
Sillage - two to three feet with trail
Longevity - 5 hours then skin scent for next three
Rating - 2/5

chakalitpasshun
chakalitpasshun

This is my favorite perfume next to Givench Hot Couture and Moschino I love Love. It is luxurious, captivating, smoky, warm, sexy with rich plums wrapped up in rum femininity. I wear this mostly on dates, when I want to feel an extra oomph and I get kissed on my neck all night. The bergamot and vanilla are a good contrast without feeling overpowering. It gives it an amazing balance. I get so many compliments on this. AAAmazing! Bravo, Mr.Ford!

muzzbait
muzzbait

lovely buttery white floral explosion, it's just that (in my opinion) the suede-honey accord ruins it for me. it's just too yuck. there's a 'moist' accord created, and that sorta-kinda kills the buzz created. without it, it would be top notch...

agentj
agentj

If BO is too much for you, but you really want a TF scent, this may be the one for you. I have been wearing a sample the past day or so, and while I don't necessarily want a FB, it's pretty good. The initial spray is a little sharp and too sweet, but a couple of hours later, after I forgot it was on my arm, the drydown was really good.

angel57
angel57

Velvet Orchid is intense and sensuous, but less pungent than Black Orchid. Yet another TF fragrance which I find utterlly sumptuous. I just purchased the Jasmin Rouge body mousturizer and the sales associate at Nordstrom included two generous sized sample bottles of Velvet Orchid and Gray Vetiver. I love to experiment and mixed a tiny bit of the Gray Vetiver with the Velvet Orchid. Love it!

FORTEZZA
FORTEZZA

More youthful flowery version of black orchid, I actually like this one. Whereas BO is very intense and I'd imagine an older women wearing it, Velvet Orchid could be worn by any girl 18+. It's quite nice.

Top 15 Tom Ford

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

This is that sultry sexy Black Orchid's much younger ditzy airhead sister. You know, the pretty and awfully sweet but obnoxiously loud one who's more often than not caught tipsy, if not fall-down drunk, on her fave honey-rum cocktails. Yeah, that giggly one addicted to shiny pink lipgloss, or anything pink for that matter. They of course share some DNA but are really worlds apart.

While one's more likely to catch her gorgeous older sister BO in a scarlet flash of Louboutin's (or even black leather biker boots), sis 'Velvet' is more the nude suede platform or neon pink strappy sandals type gal. Ya know, one will beckon with a shoved gardenia in her hair, while the other has a clenched rose (orchid?) in her teeth as she Argentine tangoes you into a hot froth...

Well, I certainly know which one I'd rather have draped round my neck. :) (Though, that's not to say the other ain't without her charms of course, just, well...) ;)

ThisGuyNose
ThisGuyNose

This and black orchid are my all time favorite ladies' perfumes, this one being more casual and youthful though

risarii

Black Orchid stripped of it's unique qualities, sweetened to appeal to the general public. It doesn't smell bad, it's just that it's unimpressive. It's painfully obvious Tom Ford only made it to have a fragrance that would sell very well to the people that were put off by Black Orchid; or rather, Black Orchid went over their heads.

It smells like many other fragrances on the market (except this has better longevity and silage) but it's not avant garde or unique whatsoever; which would be fine if it wasn't from Tom Ford, the creator of Black Orchid, Noir, Sahara Noir, Violet Blonde, Tuscan Leather... Even his "wearable" fragrances (Neroli Portofino, Santal Blush) are impressive and not generic.

I feel blasé towards it, basically. I feel it's mostly for the girls that have Viva La Juicy as their signature but want to be able to say they're wearing Tom Ford, so they get this. It's very sweet, which is the trend these days, yes? On the plus side, it has a nice rum note to it, but other than that and it's longevity---yawn.

tanya.love700
tanya.love700

I have been OBSESSED with this fragrance! I love it so much. Didnt care for the Black Orchid. I find this one much nicer. It's incredible unique. I love the rum note in it. The dry down to this perfume is heavenly. So warm, sensuous and calming. I hope they never stop making this.

pauroj
pauroj

yes black orchid more demure and wearable sister , i love this one very cozy and warm , if you find you can't pull off black orchid then you need to check this one out , for sure a lovely winter fragrance

Mirabele
Mirabele

This is so similar to BO that i feel stupid wasting my money on the sample, which was quite expensive. I knew it would be some similarity, but expected VO to be different enough. To my nose this is almost the same fragrance but weaker concentration. This is def easier to wear version of BO, but also less interesting and less complex. More fruity and sweeter, less smoky, less spicy; not so dark. None of these two are for me, but I have more respect for BO.

Henriette
Henriette

I much prefer this one over Black Orchid.
As many others have pointed out, it lacks the chocolate note and, I would add, it lacks the aquatic cucumber opening note as well.
It starts loud and even sharp, but soon it smooths and gets rounder.
The honey note is quite prominent and soon turns into a beautiful suede balsamic scent.
Hours after (it's extremely long lasting!!!) it develops into a great skinscent.
I love how the distant drydown reminds me of the drydown in the old, vintage, long gone, disappeared vintage Chanel N°5.
Not the current one, the one which was around in the '60es -'70es.
And it goes on and on and on.
Very sexy. A classy kind of sexy.
GREAT

masiki
masiki

Amazing, definitely my new favorite! I love the smell of this perfume, it's not too overpowering and it isn't very light either (Black Orchid is a bit much for me). It's a warm smell and it lingers on me through out the whole day with only 2-3 sprays. It's floral and sexy and it makes me feel like a goddess whenever I apply it. I'm totally in love!

ChristyCheryl
ChristyCheryl

All I can smell on this strongly is the rum scent.

prettyswag

this nice at first....then it just turns generic cheap spice on the drydown...tom ford noir de noir or tabacco vanilla...anyday...this is eeekkk

aftengdur
aftengdur

I really like it. It reminds me of good old movies, classy dinners and fancy dresses. It smells good on me, but too mature for my age (I'm below 25 yrs). I think this perfume requires status and is not an everyday option. If I gonna get something like Pulitzer or Golden palm, I would wear this perfume on the ceremony.

Beffie1963
Beffie1963

Similar to TFBO but softer and warmer. This is my preference.

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ Where TFBO notes greet my nose and evokes images of a dark, mysterious and oh so alluring woman. The new "Velvet" is just that an elegant lady with a velvet touch and pure class! Orchid, honey and magnolia announce her presence as she arrives in her evening gown and modest tasteful jewelry of rose and jasmine. Her designer high heels are those of a long lingering vanilla and sandlewood. She has come to charm and her longevity remains well past midnight at the formal ball in the sweet floral sillage of feminine beauty!

Kind Regards, Plat ~

tk80
tk80

My first and lasting impression of this perfume? Very, very mature scent. I can hardly believe this is a modern perfume. That being said, yes it is a very rich, heady floral - and although it reminds me of an elderly lady, she is a sophisticated and chic elderly lady :) I imagine another plus for those that like it - it is incredibly long lasting - I tried to wash it off of my wrists twice and it still lingers.
Definitely not for me. Someone mentioned this would be good for the office??? For the sake of your coworkers, please, no. Too heavy! I can imagine it would be stifling in the summer heat as well.

our lee
our lee

One of the most beautiful scents one could ever smell on a female. Reminds me of the dense, heavy perfumes from the 80s but in a modern kind of way. The honey, rum and vanilla notes are intense and dreamy, and as for the longevity and projection, it is an absolute winner.

Totally love this stuff.

Martaynd
Martaynd

Really pleased. Tried Black Orchid and it was far too "dark" for me. VO has been splendid to wear this winter. I am excited to see what she does in warmer weather.

I own TF's White Suede and I can smell something similar in VO, but it has sweet and floral notes that are just exquisite. I think the rum is what takes it to the next level. I don't think any of my other fragrances boasts a boozy note. I Iike it.

I've been wearing her in the daytime. Dressed up mostly, but I wouldn't hesitate to use her as my accessory to dress up my jeans and Tshirts. I also think she makes for a sexy night on the town.

So happy I have this.

YanaYanaYana
YanaYanaYana

It just drives me nuts! I had to have it. BO was a bit (a lot) too much for me but VO is just right! VO is sweeter, easier to wear but still amazing.Do I have to mention the bottle? The quality of the juice is amazing. L-O-V-E.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

Black Orchid almost worked on me but wasn't quite right, so I thought that this might be a boozier, more floral composition and gave it a try...

The top notes went straight to fruit - synthetic fruit: at best, the syrup you get at the bottom of a fruit salad tin, at worst, scratch and sniff fruit aroma. Oh it was horrible - I was ashamed of my scent as I walked around town all day. By the time I met up with my husband, the florals had come out, which were a much more pleasant stage, but he still gave me a look of reproach... The vanilla drydown doesn't have much to recommend it either; the spirit notes don't give the warm roundedness I was hoping for, but rather a sharp alcohol sting.

This is less strong than Black Orchid, but it is also less interesting and complex. Whilst BO didn't quite work on me, I can appreciate it as a novel creation. This, however, is another fruity floral to be confused with so many others. I know that Tom Ford is more brass than class at the best of times, but this smells cheap. I think you can do far better in this genre!

elph
elph

I have a sample of Velvet Orchid. Like all Tom Ford fragrances named after the top note, it gives you an intense burst of that top note on first application. The note lasts a long, long time. There's a sweet vanilla/sandalwood fragrance under the orchid that develops the longer it sits on your skin. The clean balsam and bergamot notes start to peek out the longer you wear it. It is very much like being wrapped in purple velvet, that feel of slightly over-the-top luxury. This is a fragrance that shows clearly why Tom Ford is so damn expensive. It leaves you wanting more. FYI, it doesn't smell like Flowerbomb. There's not much spice in the mix, at least not on my skin.

mesha2sweet
mesha2sweet

I have a sample of this beauty. I've never smelled BO, but VO is AMAZING!!! It took me on a wonderful journey. The initial spray was strong, but I no that the rule is to give a fragrance time to develop & I did. & my oh my!!! It was powerful, then sweet rum & florals, then floral & sandelwood & now it's like a smoothe sandlewood. The whole journey of this beauty was just amazing & at times I closed my eyes & said "UUMM" when it whirled around me. I will be purchasing a full bottle before this sample is gone.

NoirEternal

the velvet orchid well (cattleya leopoldii orchid) used in this scent is beautiful ^_^

it's said to have a bubblegum sweetness which justifies Velvet Orchid's strong sweet accord....

but still a diva at best dispite being less spicy than its older sibling Black Orchid...

the best way to describe Velvet Orchid is honey / milk mixed with grape bubblegum... plus an undertone of the black orchid signature note

the way tom makes this particular line is by technology used to recreate the scent of rare / old florals plus the air around the florals also for full effect..... black orchid / cattleya leopoldii orchid might have more realism than fantasy but I want to see what orchid he uses next

GHOST ORCHID or DRACULA ORCHID (well black orchid takes that already since its part of that family)

bibibling
bibibling

Well, I wasn't really expecting to like Velvet Orchid because Tom Ford is on my list of 'Fashion houses that bore me' but it was offered to me as a free sample through Sephora.com so I went for it. As weird as it sounds, I love being proven wrong.

Now I don't think I'd ever buy this for myself because I'm more of a gourmandophile at heart but I was surprised at how literal this was. After the initial burst of grape flavored cough syrup (which I found charming, actually) it quickly mellowed into a very real fantasy orchid accord. It's so concise that I can't even begin to pick out individual notes without cheating and looking at the list and even while looking at the list, I'm not quite sure.

What's really amazing to me is that I can blind-sniff a scent and usually figure out what decade it's from, unless it's very niche but this was the first scent I've sniffed that made me go 'Now this is a perfume from the 2010's decade!' It has a clean fresh feeling that isn't squeaky and in-your-face aggressive like 90's scents. It's soft and calm and confident, 'velvety' even, not needing to scream for attention.

I really like it, definitely on my list of 'Awesome floral scents.' If you are looking for a soft, sweet fantasy orchid scent, this is safe to blind-buy.

po
po

I have mixed feelings about Velvet Orchid.

At first I was impressed, the moist tropical floral opening was similar to Black Orchid and loved it. I thought it would basically be an easier to wear, patchouli free version of BO but no.

I like the boozy quality but after the opening all I get is a sweet, sweet, sweet indistinct floral with prominent orchid which falls apart before long.

It's not a bad scent at all, I just find it too predictable, trying too hard to be glam and fancy, not very substantial or inspired.
I'm still a BO Voile de Fleur girl.

BethAshley
BethAshley

Velvet Orchid is a voluptuous scent. I know it’s a strange adjective for a fragrance, but when I first spray it on a particular note doesn’t really stand out for me - I just know that it lush, warm and glamorous which is why the word voluptuous comes to mind.

While I love the beginning, it does unfortunately flatten after about an hour and the sandalwood becomes the prominent note on my skin. If you’re a sandalwood fan then this is a MUST buy for you. However, for me I just found myself missing the opening of the scent.

If you're a Black Orchid fan...

This fragrance has a similar, lush feel, but it's a totally different scent. It's enchanting opening almost won me over, but once it dried down it wasn't half as interesting as Black Orchid. For me Black Orchid is still the winner.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

Tried a sample this morning. Just not impressed. It is a scent that can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up. Should it be floral? Should it be sugar? Will take a pass on this one.

brettashley
brettashley

Easier to wear than Black Orchid (less possibility of it falling into the pungent, body-odor territory), and subsequently, less interesting (to me). This is Black Orchid defanged. Velvet Orchid replaces the sticky chocolate and earthy patchouli of Black Orchid with smoother, honeyed florals. Try this if Black Orchid was a little too much for you - Velvet Orchid might very well be a winner. I'll still reach for this when I want a little va-va-voom, but would rather not risk a Black-Orchid-induced headache. (I love Black Orchid, but sometimes, it does not love me.)

LittleFeather
LittleFeather

A couple of years ago, I would've dismissed something like this as far too mature. Now, the more I smell it the more I like it! Rich and delicious. The orchid is definitely there while it's wet but the dry down becomes a cedary amber that isn't too strong.

cbishton
cbishton

I blind bought this in excitement after getting the end of year Fragrantica email noting its popularity and virtues. I couldn't wait to try it. I already have Black Orchid, which for me is a sultry, sexy, very unusual and totally wearable scent here in San Francisco, where it is often cold. To my utter disbelief and total disappointment this, on me, was so similar to Black Orchid, just slightly muted, that I couldn't justify splashing out $100+ for a bottle. Back to Nordstrom's it went. I have certain favorite perfumes but I do like some variety. For what it's worth, I am a mature woman of 48 and very confident. Black Orchid may well be too daring and dark for a younger woman, maybe that's where the appeal for Velvet Orchid comes from? Honestly, it was almost identical to me, just a little tamer.

evachen
evachen

The lasting power of this Parfum is really unbelievably weak on me.

I sprayed it, and can barely smell it after like one and a half hours. I'm really shocked because I've never owned any parfum, which lasts for this short time. I couldn't believe it so I tried again, this time I sprayed a little bit more. But still... :(

Good I tried it before perchasing because I'm not gonna spend almost 70€ for 30ml of it...

Circuit FAiry
Circuit FAiry

Smooth, lush, rich, and deep, this is TF’s Velvet Orchid. Being a fan of the original I had to go out and try Velvet Orchid. Sephora provided a sample in which I indulged up to the very last drop. Though similar each fragrance is different. For me Velvet can be worn day or night, office or out at night, it is that type of fragrance. Yet it is different enough to make a statement.

I am not a fan of vanilla scents but the mix of the other notes work so well together, vanilla is present but not overpowering. This juice is a sweet and creamy floral, with lush mouth watering fruits. There is almost something of a sticky like feeling about this scent perhaps the honey? In any case this concoction is startlingly gorgeous!

If you have tried it and loved it, get it you'll love it more and more each time you wear it.

NolaJen10
NolaJen10

I just love this fragrance. It is great for anytime, anywhere. I was caught between this one and Alien Essence Absolue for Christmas from my husband and he seemed to really go nuts for the Alien Essence Absolue, so that's what I asked for. Of course, his input counted because I was looking for a date night fragrance. But, I think I'm going to get a bottle of this one for myself! It's so spicy and striking at first and then it dries down to a smooth vanilla with a hint of berries. I was laughing with my 15 year old daughter when she picked out Lancombe Tresor Midnight Rose, that Velvet Orchid was the older, wiser (and the more sexual part I kept to myself) aka Mama version of her scent! Not to confuse anyone, it is not a MOM scent. It is a really sexy scent! Can't wait to pick it up!

gulcs
gulcs

This is my favourite one in TF’s. When i compare i cant find the spesific notes why this fragrance make me feel its like a perfect combination of Carolina Herrera CH’s and Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir’s notes that i like. Maybe the balsamic and vanilic notes of Sensuous Noir and the woody sweetness of CH make me feel that way. But its definitely more sophisticated, elegant than these ones. Perfect for winter. I adore it!

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

This is a gorgeous floral cocktail, with a slight boozy gourmand quality and I swear I can smell what seems like mint too me, but I see no mint listed, idk, maybe this is the combination of labdanum and patchouli but I see no patchouli either, maybey the rum is doing this, not sure but I love it, and it becomes more prominent to my nose as it dries down. This is a bit complex so I'll definently need to spend some time with it before giving a full review.. but reading over some of the comments, I do see most are on the right track, I can say at this point there is definently something purple smeling or like a blueberry with cellophane ? After smelling this the add makes more sense... and I don't mean this in a bad way

This is what some of the Agent Provocateurs should have smelt like

alright, that minty smell has got to be the peru balsam love it. And it's one of those rare perfumes where I love every phase of the entire drydown. I don't think this lasts as long as it should or maybe I have an old nose, but it only seems to be noticeable by others for a few hours , 3 at most but I'm thinking more like two hours. maybe just me? not sure but I did buy directly from department store so I know that I didn't get a watered down version. Maybe it's the vanilla...I sometimes find vanilla perfumes don't last as long on me as they should. So yes anyway, the drydown is rich in leather and peru balsam vanilla and floral notes become softer...but definently hold a strong influence all the way this is a rich womanly floral, but certainly not as womanly smelling as black orchid edt, which I did love but fealt it was a little to old which is something I hardly ever or never say, and I do still recognize a bit of that gardenia smell from the original...but this one is a very different perfume

And as much as I do enjoy this I do agree that it's like they took viole de fleur and added a bunch of common notes like vanilla honey sugar whiskey etc... and mixed it up a bit then rebottled it I think that as beautiful as the original edt was that it wasn't as huge of a seller as mr. ford had hoped so they recombobulated it. Which is smart and I think this will appeal to more and it's not as older smelling ...but I also agree that overall I think that the edt is the better perfume, though I just can not wear it..yet

I adore Black Orchid and Violet blonde, But Velvet Orchid just turns out to be a mess on my skin. I sneeze alot and this doesn't go along with me at all..=(

Jag avgudar Black Orchid och Violet blonde, Men Velvet Orchid blir bara en enda röra på min hud. Jag nyser enormt av den och den funkar helt enkelt inte ihop med mig alls =(.

aphexacid
aphexacid

I bought this for my fiance for Christmas 2014. She fell in love with it when she smelled it at Neimans and i just had to get it for her. She's very picky about her perfumes, so when i see this type of reaction, it's an immediate purchase.

In the beginning, its a sweet musky floral. It almost feels as if its just going to be a modern interpretation of a classic womens perfume.

Within a minute or so of applying, you really start to feel the leather and something animalic...Myrrh? Labdanum? I don't know, but theres a touch of animalistic element and its sexy as hell. Thankfully, my fiance brings out the sexiness of this, more so than the sweetness. My sister in law tried a spray and it was SO SWEET on her i couldnt take it.

Being Tom Ford, the volume of this has been turned up to 11! VERY strong. YOU WILL BE SMELLED BY EVERYONE for at least the first 2-3 hours. It dies down to normal levels after this. The longevity is exceptional.

Beautiful bottle as well. As you can tell, i'm a Private Blend lover, but i'm growing tired of the PB bottles.

Good stuff.

Addict2Perfume
Addict2Perfume

Tom Ford Velvet Orchid is a sweet boozy floral that really makes you nostalgic for the roaring twenties. The honey and rum accent the orchid perfectly in this fragrance. There is something a little “skanky” to Velvet Orchid that I actually really like and I think it is the myrrh. There is this smoky almost dirty undertone from the myrrh that is sweetened up by the honey and I absolutely love it because it smells sensual and smooth, like the way velvet feels! The color and the bottle are stunning! I love strong fragrances so I respect Black Orchid for the beast of a fragrance that it is, but I find that Velvet Orchid is more wearable for me. I think Velvet orchid is super sexy and without a doubt a new favorite that is excellent to wear in the cold winter months!

prettyswag

I didn't care for the original, it was too heady with tuberose and acridness...this is much better...I want!

So doens't work on me. I get the same sharp hairspray overtones as Bath and Body Works Velvet Tuberose. Under that, there's a nice green sweet-tart violet, but that sharp top note is just too much to be overcome.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Dark Sweet, rich, true orchid, very "purple" smell. Rather surprising.

It took me a while to figure it out, but the BEST part of this... is that it smells like sniffing into a fresh bag of moist pipe tobacco. Which has this sweet honey like note the whole way down. it smells very rich and well blended.
I'd say it's rather unisex, anyone can wear this... it's just awesome on me, and just... really compliments "guy smells"
The dry down lasts a very long time as a powdery wood like hint.

Sillage: pretty strong
Longevity: pretty good, most of the day.

Dulce15
Dulce15

This is the other Tom Ford that I am loving. I bought it yesterday and everyone is complimenting me. I think it is similar to Poison but so much better. I can smell orchids, honey, vanilla and suede. Beautiful! The myrrh is detectable but not strong. I am also detecting patchouli but it is not listed as a note. This is a wonderful addition to my collection. I plan on wearing this one for at least a week.

Michylaka
Michylaka

Amazing! I love the bold yet soft oriental femininity of this Tom Ford masterpiece. The orchid notes are, of course, prominent. Then there is a creamy vanilla note that is unreal. Being a vanilla lover I gravitate to it in fragrances and this one is obviously made of the best vanilla. Then I can smell some really good rum. Yum! The suede, myrrh and balsamic notes are not overdone and only add to the mystique of this gorgeous masterpiece. This delicious potent juice has great sillage and leaves a trail. Thank you Tom Ford. The staying power is awesome.
I give this one a 10/10.

samsara1977
samsara1977

I passed this one so many time at airports without looking at it... it is on my test list now!

Capricorngal19
Capricorngal19

This is Dior Poison's nice sister.

She's sweet, deep and enticing.
Oh Tom, you did it with this jewel. I mean seriously, I'm TRYING to stop buying perfume but this one was just amazing.
It starts off smelling strong and weird..kinda like that weird opening that Dior Poison is known for.
Now mind you, If you're the type of person that hates smelling like medicine for the first 10 minutes..don't waste your time. BUT if you're patience, you can overlook the weird burst of confusion and get to what makes this perfume a scandalous treat.

It's powdery too! Wow, what a weird one this is. And my goodness, I can only imagine what this smells like in the winter time.
Tom Ford took the time to make such a complex but sensual scent. I am truly impressed by how lovely this is. This is a must have!

emre
emre

not a MANLY one indeed, but make people stop you and ask "smelling gorgeous whats its name?" on the streets :)

evacecilias
evacecilias

Well ok, I admit it - it's not fantastic for the price, but I really like it !
This is creamier softer and easier to wear than BO .
It'resembles BO , but BO is more harsch and this is smooth.
The flower heart part of the composition is really lovely where of course the orchid together with heliotrope stands out most on me...
In the dry down I get mostly peru balsam , labdanum and musk, which together creates the velvety touch I guess.
I can wear this both day and evening, where I would have picked BO only for an evening wear !
The most wearable TF I 've tried so far.
Sahara noir is beautiful too but please make a creamier version - please !

prairiebellecandle
prairiebellecandle

Too creamy and cleanish or floral-ly for me. Was attracted to the first spray, but after about 10 minute, the "glow" of the scent around me was lacking something; spice? fruit? It's warm, smooth, well-blended, but lacking something (for me). Then again, I like some "bite" like Angel, Obsession, Krazy Krizia; a little sharp-edge; not just etheral warm sandalwood haze. Does last a long time and is a classy scent; just not for me. Returned the bottle.

becuille
becuille

This is a stunner. I was a bit concerned about the rum because I'm nto a fan of boozy notes in perfumes, but I don't really get much of it at all so it's not a problem.

The opening is sweet and slightly fruity (I could swear there's peach in there somewhere), but it's not sickly at all, it's perfectly restrained. It's beautifully powdery, which I love in a perfume.

When the florals kick in, the blending is superb. What stands out for me the most is the magnolia. I'm a magnolia lover in general and, like with Guerlain's L'Instant, I'm a sucker for it coupled with honey, so this is a dream for me. The florals compliment each other very well. Sometimes with this sort of volume of different flowers, I find a fragrance can become unwearable for me. It can get too tart or too indolic very fast on my skin. But not so here. They're subtle, seamlessly blended and creamy florals.

This is understated, but in a very sexy, womanly way. It's not in your face, but it's no wallflower either. Much like Tom Ford's tailoring, this is a sharp suitted, spike heeled kind of a perfume - but not too much makeup or cleavage.

The reason this is the first TF perfume I've tried is because when he first started releasing them, I was convinced it was going to be bland and gimmicky. Well, I apologise, Mr Ford, if this one is anything to go by, I was wrong. I'll make it up to you by buying a full bottle very soon!

HotPozzum
HotPozzum

Another disappointment for me - love TF but this perfume did not love me any more than Black Orchid did. Similar notes but same indolic result on my skin! :-( Think I loved the idea more than the reality...

Lisa290872
Lisa290872

Omg! So in love with Tom Ford perfumes right now. Impulse bought White Patchouli and I adore that and I have just purchased Velvet Orchid and I am in love. It is as someone mentioned below, very like Black Orchid in the beginning, but then for me turns smoother with an almost creamy smell. For me the difference is good girl/bad girl. If you're feeling rebellious wear Black Orchid, if you are feeling like an angel and a bit more girlie, then wear Velvet Orchid. Thank you so much Tom Ford.

Edit: I would just like to add that the dry down on me is a lovely rum and incense smelling perfume. Lovely and rich, but without being overpowering. I like that you can only smell this when you are near me. Reminds me of a more subtle version of Thierry Mugler Alien Liquor. I'm still in love!

zampeachie
zampeachie

Black orchid is beautiful but doesn't suit me, so I was so excited when velvet orchid came out, and it exceeded my expectations!! It's sweet and floral, but also slightly spicy. It's versatile too, I feel like I can wear it at work as well as for nights out. This gorgeous scent has replaced Lolita Lempicka as my go-to scent and I hope it isn't discontinued anytime soon!

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

For me black orchid was marred by a strange blue cheese background and as much as I wanted to like it for the other parts it left me almost gagging at times. Step in velvet orchid and this is much more enjoyable. Initial juicy bursts mellow down to deep magnificence. When I say mellow I don't mean fade because two sprays will do you all day and it follows you like no one's business just like black orchid. Very masculine in the same sense at sahara noir. Wonderful stuff and worth the money

russtyruss
russtyruss

LOVE THIS! This is absolutely wonderful. It's classed as a women's fragrance but as a straight, and quite manly man, I freaking love this. It just smells fresh and 'nice'. It's florally but not girly. It's a bit like Chanel 19 or Prada infussion d'homme/d'iris. It's a clean smell and to my nose, is a bit warmer than black orchid. Just buy it, won't be disappointed. It's sublime.

Hellita
Hellita

Now this is what I'm talking about! Tom Ford, you genious!

Lucky for me Velvet Orchid is much softer/creamier and less bitter and dark than Black Orchid. And with the amped up sweetness: as if the flowers in it are sugar/honey coated, I was delighted to smell my wrists after testing it. To me the amount of sweet notes in this is exactly why I have fallen in love with VO. Rum, honey, myrrh and vanilla with a bunch of lovely florals? Can a woman ask for anything more? This is dreamy, velvety yet powerful. When I inhale Velvet Orchid, it makes my toes curl. STUNNING! <3

I was a bit bummed out that Black Orchid did not work for me, but when I tried Velvet Orchid the aroma sent me straight to heaven! I nearly ran back to the store the day after I tested it, as I needed me a full bottle.
I believe that VO is made for those who find Black Orchid a bit to dark and daring. Velvet Orchid is ultra feminine and yummy. It's already a favorite (although I have many), but I believe this is going to make its way to my top shelf - and that doesn't happen too often. PS! Did I mention that this little thing is the prettiest bottle in my entire collection (1 fl. oz bottle). SO classy & stylish!

GO GET IT! (or at least test it). Thank you Tom Ford, for pleasing my sense of smell! *applause*

NOTE TO SELF:
NEVER wear 4-5 sprays of this stuff to work (no matter how much you love it)! I suffocated my colleagues today :-/
Now I'm back to 2-3 sprays maximum ;)

John Mason
John Mason

A luxurious and feminine take on a fantasy flower scent, that haunts your senses from the moment you smell it, until the moment you fall asleep.
A velvet veil of florals, vanilla and suede accord, with a drop of vintage rum. It closes the space around you and keeps you in it, it moves with you as its center.
Exhilarating, suave and luxuriously addicting, yet mature, calm and persisting. Wonderful sillage and longevity!
For a perfect decadent and strong woman, or a mysterious man.
On my skin lasts for good 10 hours, on paper the base notes can still be detected after 48 hours.

Dara813
Dara813

Being that Sephora insisted on torturing me with samples of this beautiful scent for months, I finally had to buy a big bottle at the semi-annual VIB sale. If a fragrance is this good, I typically don't have a problem splurging on it but I blame Sephora for sending those samples so I waited...a bit impatiently with my four samples because I knew the sale was coming and I knew I loved it enough to get the biggest bottle. Those samples held me over, thankfully and surprisingly as I found myself wearing this at least once a week.
For the record, I love orchid scents, especially when the orchid is mixed with rich, creamy notes so I was slightly devastated when I couldn't get Black Orchid to cooperate with my skin chemistry. I think it had something to do with the chocolate note. At the time, I told myself - there will be a flanker or a lighter version, hopefully. Hence, I was so pleased when I heard this was coming out. I got the first sample from Sephora in the blazing summer heat and I was shocked at how well it performed in this type of weather. It gives off a tropical island orchid and rum vibe in the heat. Now that winter has arrived, I get a very rich and creamy, boozy, suede infused orchid. It is absolutely perfect! It is like a tropical island and a warm cozy fire all in one.
This is the first mainstream Tom Ford fragrance I don't have to admire from afar. This is so wearable, versatile, and the longevity and sillage are superb. I can still smell this on a jacket I wore two days ago and it was still lingering on my wrists after I gave my daughter a bath, which was after a full work day. I'm so glad I gave in and bought a bottle of this. I don't regret it one bit.

t4x3
t4x3

I finally got the chance to smell a few Tom Ford scents when I went to a bigger Sephora the next city over from mine. I decided to take a sample of Velvet Orchid to try out. This is a luxurious perfume. Unfortunately, both times I wore it, I had to scrub it off after four hours. Velvet Orchid is another lovely, complex combination of notes that just doesn't work on me or for me. If I had to pinpoint, I'd say it was the chocolate and rum notes that I'm not fond of. Every so often, both times I tested this, I'd get a whiff of the floral notes. Very delightful! This isn't the Tom Ford scent for me, but I am certain there is one in my future.

gabri11e
gabri11e

On paper, I should love this. In practice, I juat can't. There's something about it I can't quite put a finger on. Maybe it's the booze notes. which typically don't bode well on me. Maybe it reminds me of something I wore when I was 18, and therefore just smells generic to my nose. I'm not sure. It's lovely, I'll say that. I can see someone really wearing this well. But to me, it just fades into the back, and I would never wear if. So sad.

belle.le.disko
belle.le.disko

I ADORE this perfume. It is my new favorite.
Sensual and sweet.
It begins as honey,sandalwood and white florals.
After a few minutes is becomes honey, plums, orchid, vanilla and (very slightly) rum and violets.
After about 20 minutes it has evolved again: honey, orchids and sugar cookies with a bit of white floral,sandalwood and rum.
Amazing.
It lasts on my perfume-gobbling skin for about 4 hours-- a seriously amazing feat.
The sillage is close is small to medium.
I tried this as a sample, and promptly put Velvet Orchid on my birthday gift list.

Note: my previous daily perfume was Black Orchid, but I was finding it too heavy overall and too sharp initally. This scent is perfect.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

Love love LOVE this one! I always feel slightly uneasy when wearing Black Orchid (especially when meeting new people) because while I love B. Orchid, it does sometimes come across as rather manly and erm.. pungent, for lack of a better term. I do not have that issue with Velvet Orchid-- it's feminine through and through without smelling like a candy store. VO is a beautiful mix of everything sweet & sexy-- liquor, honey, flowers, vanilla, suede.. what's not to love? It opens boozy rather than citrus-y (for some reason I experience a big blast of orange/lemon in BO's opening, but not here) and quickly moves into a heady mix of florals&honey.

As a million other people have said, this is a more feminine, wearable version than Black Orchid. It's probably not as distinct or bold, but I do believe it stands on its own as a beautiful perfume. Well named with great packaging (love the purple bottle!) My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to last very long on me, unlike BO which has very high sillage and longevity. This is more of a skin scent after the 1st hour with just average longevity on me. Still, it's so gorgeous that it could last 5 minutes for all I care-- I'd just keep re-spraying. I do kinda hope the price goes down on it though, as it is spendy..

schokolade
schokolade

Too floral and less sweet than I expected.
Not very unique, you can find similar fragrance easily with less money.
(And if you are twenty something or under, think twice, It could fit on ladies but for students or young girls..? I'm not sure about it)

risarii

This is a lovely fragrance, but I prefer Black Orchid.
This one reminds me of Coco Noir in the dry down (on my skin.) Very warm and sweet--but not in a sugary way, rather in a floral/honey way--and truly velvety! Very very nice.
More wearable than Black Orchid, perhaps, but also less interesting. While it's a beauty, it isn't a unique or striking beauty. But that isn't a crime.
I will say that I'm kind of disappointed in the lasting power. Maybe it's because mine is from a sample (one of those peel-back-and-rub samples from Sephora) instead of an actual bottle but I've had it on for a mere hour and a half and it's already faint. Fragrances always last well on my skin, even ones that are notoriously light, and Tom Ford always makes high quality, long lasting perfumes. A real shame.

fundi
fundi

Words are not enough to describe this beauty... It's love in the simple but sexy bottle...

Togiii
Togiii

An interesting scent. Seems really dark and overpowering but I'm somewhat attracted to it. Lingers for a long time.

butterbean
butterbean

to the member below me - please don't call other members ignorant or tell them their statements show ignorance (even if you, me or anyone else might agree or disagree). It is their opinion, and valid.

ularewolf
ularewolf

Just wanna respond to the person below me. Fragrance has no gender, and to tell a certain gender to "stay away" from a fragrance is sheer ignorance. Anyone can wear whatever they want. Gender association with fragrances is nothing but society's judgment as to what men and women have to "smell like".

If it smells good and you want to wear it, wear it. Don't let anyone judge what you should and shouldn't wear.

Ouch!
Ouch!

I really like this!

It opens in a similar way to BO. Boozy tones, rough texture, deep smooth florals behind. LOTS going on in the opening.
Bold daring, and really full bodied.

Magnolia and Jasmine make this smell a but tropical in the undertones and when it dries, the rich heart combined with the rougher notes make this smell AMAZING! It much prefer this to BO. This is a softer, less masculine version of BO still with the kick of a Tom Ford fragrance. I found BO to have a weird chocolately feel and it's not present in this one. This is all about a beautiful floral heart that's surrounded by these fuzzy musky suede tones...and a bit of booze.

The drydown for me happens a but too quickly, I'm wishing the heart stayed longer. The dry down is also my least favourite part of the wear length. The vanilla really takes over on my skin and it becomes a lot less interesting. No labdanum, no myrhh...it smells like a suede tinged vanilla.

When it's REALLY dry, all I smell is vanilla.

I'd still like to get it though for those gorgeous moments in the heart that are so complex and beautiful..but hard to put your finger on.

feely
feely

The only other TF fragrance I've tried was Black Orchid. While I appreciated it, I could not wear it because I found myself getting depressed at how dark it was. I love dark frags. BO to me is pitch black.

This however is right up my alley. I adore this. I crave it. The problem is that it does not seem to last on me. I've found the perfect fall scent, and it doesn't last on me. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to keep spraying. Hard though since it's so darned expensive!

Lily2911
Lily2911

It is maybe blasphemy but i dislike this flanker, what a dissappointment. Just sweet, linear simple perfume with zero sillage and longevity on my skin. You can blame my skin but overall, this is just a tiny skeleton of the Black Orchid, which is according to me far superior in terms of depth, complexity and even quality. I really regret this purchase, i'd rather had to rebuy my BO, which is a real master piece. If someone is interested to buy my Velvet, pm me.

esteban747
esteban747

The opening is warm, heady, like a muggy summer night. Vanilla, honey and rose are the three main notes to appear. Then the sandalwood becomes more evident so is the rum.
The top notes are not that impressive, for sure they grab attention because of the sweetness but the middle notes are utterly fantastic, sensual and irresistible, although the sweet top notes persist cloying everything.
I'm a guy and I have to say (agree or not) that it shares some elements in the composition that remind me of CK Shock.
I've heard many good things about Tom Ford fragrances, this is the first one that I've tried. I'm not really impressed. It feels on my skin pretty much like a linear blend of honey, vanilla, rum, leather and jasmine/rose.

Kiera79
Kiera79

From the small sample I received from sephora I thought this was absolutely beautiful! Definitely a more mature, evening kind of scent, but in a very good way. The floral and vanilla notes blend perfectly to make this slightly sweet, but not overly. Why does it have to be so expensive!? Guess I'll have to start saving up.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

For girls who wish to depart from Hypnotic Poison and Guilty. Like trading vodka cruisers for a good whiskey in an iced glass. It's a step up from grunge girl punk to sartorial black clad ass kicker. Indeed, from girl to woman.

However, this is as voluptuous and daring as HP... Only in her own right.

For the individual who makes her own rules and carves her own path.

Must say, on me, I get a dark but fresh tropical vibe. Like a tropical breeze on an island/holiday. It's so gorgeous and I really, really enjoy this fragrance.

angel6
angel6

I had a chance to try because a friend order this by mistake instead Black Orchid. The opening is very sweet and similar to Black Orchid, but in the drydown it looses all the class and mystery that makes Black Orchid a classic. Feels too synthetic and immature.

aschiffm
aschiffm

Potent dark and sweet, not for me. NOTHING like black orchid original ! It has no depth or mystery, just thick & pungently girly. Nothing too surprising or unique, disappointed. My boyfriend liked it on me though.

Dar123
Dar123

Got a sample of this and I love it when it's fresh on, I get the top note of the orchid, but the wear down is a little too "powdery" after about 1 hour and it loses the floral notes quickly ( maybe it's just my skin chemistry?). Overall, I do love it and would purchase a whole bottle for sure. Pretty much anything TF does is a sure bet!!!

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

OMG....I love this. I had Black Orchid, and done away with it. Shoo shoo...it was to me, albeit, a masterpiece, but on me did not fit at all. As though I was trying to wiggle into a supermodel's dress or something to that effect. It just didn't work, but I can appreciate those that it fits perfectly. Now, VO on the other hand, is all that BO is not. It fits, it caresses every curve, accentuates my positives, omits my negatives. It is sweeter, but still very heavy and syrupy. It is a winter fragrance for sure. I received it yesterday, and even though I am not feeling well, I was wary of trying it and then the illness making me take a dislike to it just because I was sick. Well, quite the contrary. One little tiny spray on my left wrist, and I knew I was in love. I think Tom Ford and his masterpieces come in second to the House of Guerlain. Who, to me can basically do no wrong. This I can say without a doubt is my winter fragrance this year. I can see me using the whole bottle this winter. I've only done that with a few other fragrances. Mostly Guerlain, and New Haarlem. Someday, I will revisit BO, but since this beauty is around, that someday might be a long time a coming. Do try to get your hands on this beauty. She is tall, dark, very voluptuous and makes an entrance with an animal attraction, not one to slither into a room unnoticed. If I had to name one actress from yesteryear who would have worn this I would say Ava Gardner. Since I only gave one tiny spray, I can only say that it did last into the next morning. I'm expecting once hitting all the pulse points "lightly", it will be just perfect.

Silences
Silences

A wearable soft floral version of Black Orchid. The mystery and allure of the former fragrance still remains. Damn you Sephora for giving me a free sample!

Update: After wearing for several hours it smells exactly like Black Orchid. What happened to my beautiful soft florals? I already own Black Orchid. :(

2nd Update: I caved and purchased this fragrance. It just kept haunting me. I wore it some more and the florals did stay throughout. This thing lasts and has heavy sillage. 2 sprays and you are good for the day!
This has become a favorite for the cooler months. Black Orchid fans, this is a must.

Germany
Germany

I have had my sample since it first came out and wanted to order this for some time as it is quite a nice fragrance ! Finally taking the plunge to get this , not sure if its the cooler days now or the desire to have another Tom or the gorgeous purple bottle , or all of the above ,,,,,

Velvet orchid starts thick and dense and sweet with lots of honey, vanilla and orchid and rum ! Very cozy and comforting and sexy !
It stays there for some time till the frankincense / myrrh comes in , making it slightly medicinal , the Peru balsam gives this a warm an full and rounded plush character and the sandalwood is soft and creamy in here.

This is nice for the fall and winter. I really like it and to my memory softer and sweeter than Black Orchid ,to me they have little in common , something has been removed or added here that makes this fragrance quite different. Black Orchid is darker and more masculine, I do need to smell it again, maybe I would love it these days ! Without having smelled BO for a while , this seems to be the more floral softer feminine , maybe a friendlier younger , naughty sister to its older bad ass brother .

So if you don't like black orchid don't automatically write this off!!!
And if you do like black orchid you probably still like this , maybe even more :)

Very Tom Ford!

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

Much more wearable then black orchid on me. Love the dark vanilla drydown.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

opens up very strong and sweet, all florals and citruses, then the suede, honey and vanilla come in. it's a very heady floral, almost tropical. the sweetness calms a bit after awhile and more florals come through, maybe lily? i can't say which ones but it's definitely a suedey-floral. i have mixed feelings about it though. i like the orchid and suede to s degree, but the other florals are too strong and it gives me a headache. it's way too strong and sweet, unfortunately.

mrjohn12
mrjohn12

I'm going to be the thousandth person who says you can smell the initial blast of Black Orchid but then it morphs into a completely unique scent. Today, after it has rained and it is wet, muggy, and hot out, this smells like gorgeous intense citrus on me. Which just speaks to the uniqueness of it's composition as it usually reads as a creamy floral on my skin. This scent is a true Gemini and I love it both ways. I obviously can't tell yet how this dries down on a hot muggy day but on a normal day, I have to agree with one of the reviewers down below, it is the scent of books. I mean that in the best possible way, it is that musky loveliness that is the comfort of a good book.

Fleurissima
Fleurissima

This scent is piercingly sweet and heavy with lust. Oh the boldness!

I must say am not an addict to immensely sweet fragrances, and even though I find this to be borderline sweet for my taste, I cannot get away from it. It is very alluring. It is Black Orchid's sweeter, sultrier, sexier self.

Especially worn on warm summer nights, it pumps up the presence of candied elegance. And after all the charm, it wears down to a silky and sensual glamour.

redolent_one
redolent_one

For some reason, I didn't want to like this...why? I have no idea. But anyway, I very much love this scent! I keep calling it 'Violet Orchid' though...as someone else said down below, it smells purple, or for me, it smells violet! (close enough).

I also have Black Orchid (I recently found this beauty, obviously way late to the game on this one) and I think they are different enough to justify purchasing both.

This one however, is a little younger, a little more sexy and a little more of a 'dress up' scent compared to Black Orchid, which I can wear anytime (and feel sexy but not 'hardcore' sexy).

I recommend this one!

Lacrimosa
Lacrimosa

❀ I love ❤ it...for the most peculiar reason I've ever loved a scent: The drydown on me smells exactly like pages from old books! And I can't help it, I am a book-lover and I have to have this scent in a bottle!

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

If I say this smells purple to me would that be too gauche? Because it does, it smells purple. And I mean that as a compliment, of course. It smells like a rich, purple velvet. It smells opulent. It smells like the color of the bottle.

Go marketing.

This is a boozy sweet vanilla on me with a touch of spice. It starts off with quite a bit of delicious rum and honey and then dries down to more of an orchid/vanilla combo. Not loud at all but it's not shy either. Very rich, very sophisticated, and I'm trying very hard not to add it to my already very expensive want list.

But it can't hurt to want to smell purple, right?

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is definitely a close flanker to Black Orchid-particularly in the opening-but it still feels like its own individual fragrance. There's a lot of rum in the opening with a touch of myrrh that stays close by throughout. There's plenty of vanilla and honey. The orchid, however, disappoints a little; it smells kind of raisin-y. The drydown has a lovely dry touch of sandalwood and balsam. While certainly unique and interesting, I think this pales in comparison to the original Black Orchid. It feels as if something is missing without the chocolate. This is more of a daytime sister to BO. it's still fun and sexy, but I far prefer the original. If you're going to do Tom Ford, you might as well do it all the way!
EDIT: I take that back. The drydown is exquisite. Powdery and sweet but also a little sharp and woody. This is like the TF equivalent of Coco Mademoiselle in the drydown and I really like it.

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

Orchid + rum + vanilla = heavenly on me! This is a deliciously sexy grown-up fragrance -- it separates the women from the girls. You can tell it comes from the same family as Black Orchid, but it is sweeter and a bit less ferocious.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

The top notes are quite tropical and luxe, like Black Orchid made more glam. The bottle makes me imagine that I am donning a velvet suit when I put on this perfume whereas Black Orchid is a timeless and more unisex black suit.

However, the dry-down drowns those vivid, tropical flowers in a putrid war, making V.O. smell like the cousin of Tattoo Loverdose and Flowerbomb. Oh no, I smell a distinct similarity to Lady Million or Elie Saab. It's over.

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Much like the original Black Orchid, the composition of Velvet Orchid is very thick and opaque, but it is not nearly as well-done. This fragrance starts off with a very cloying, thick vanilla-floral sensation. The extremely dominating vanilla note is very flat, without any of the sumptuous richness of good vanilla. The honey really clashes against the rum here, as they bring out the worst syrupy, thick tones of each other instead of harmonizing gracefully. The myrrh and peru balsam add a balsamic-resinous aspect that really pushes the accord into the territory of nonsensicality.

Considering the amount of accomplished perfumers credited for Velvet Orchid, I can't help but wonder if this scent is a result of too many cooks in the kitchen. The composition never really achieves liftoff, and many of the notes are muddled and working against each other. This smells almost like an amateur perfumer attempted to recreate Black Orchid in his garage and failed miserably.

As someone who absolutely adores Black Orchid and its flanker, Voile de Fleur, this is highly disappointing to me. I guess it's understandable that after two knockout fragrances, you might screw up the third one. Unfortunately, Velvet Orchid is definitely not worthy of being part of the Black Orchid family.

Deonte526
Deonte526

Another Tom Ford fragrance I'm in love with. It starts off similar to Black Orchid but quickly changes after like 5 mins. on my skin and its fabulous!!! And I just love that honey note ugh!!! Can't wait to buy the full bottle!

arenee92
arenee92

I think it's lovely. Sexy, edgy, but feminine. I had it on one evening and my sweet boyfriend says "are you wearing vicks vaporub?" Sigh.....guess I will have to love this baby from afar!

onaona
onaona

Tom Ford took my badass Black Orchid to the vet and had her declawed! She's still a tigress, but now she purrs when she use to prowl!

The notes are very distinctive....so rich to my senses. The rum is intoxicating, almost a coconut rum. The vanilla is warm, sweeter, certainly more approachable. The suede note so comfortable, or maybe that's comforting? It mutes the edges of the original, just a bit. The orchid? No longer a gender bender, she's very feminine.

Black Orchid was made to wear with stilettos. I'm not sure Velvet Orchid was made to wear with anything at all.

MEEEE-OW ;)

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Starts out with a hit of strength reminiscent of Black Violet. The first couple of minutes are quite sharp and I felt a little pang of headache momentarily. After that, the powdery sweetness emerges and brings forth a lovely, yet all to common dry down. It is cozy and warm, very fabric softener like. I can see enjoying this in the colder months as a comfort scent. A great entry for anyone new to TF or amber-y floral scents. More seasoned perfumistas will enjoy this as a replacement scent if they ever actually finish a bottle;)

canadianpetite

Velvet Orchid is different from Black Orchid although it is reminiscent of BO. After initial spray, VO is sweeter from the honey and boozy from the rum (about an hour). Then the vanilla and florals dominate for the next hour. In the drydown, I get woods and hint of florals. If I had unlimited funds, I would have swooped that large bottle after the initial spray. To me, VO is the most wearable over Black Orchid and White Patchouli which both are too woodsy, spicy and novel for a conservative office. The current trend is sweetness and VO fits but still delivers that spiciness and woodsy notes to satisfy some scent hounds like me. I like it and when the 30ml comes out, I will have one (promise). I was surprised, though, that this did not last very long even though it is initially a sillage bomb. The good news is that it does soften after a half hour so I would spray and dress up. By the time I reach the office, the scent would have died down to a more acceptable scent sillage.

One spray on me:
Sillage: about a foot for first 30 minutes then close to skin onwards
Longevity: surprisingly about two hours

Update: After several wearings, I find the cola note too cloying for such a spendy fume - will change Rating from 4/5 to 3/5. I've bought the Black Orchid.

auroramaria
auroramaria

I had high expectations for Velvet Orchid, in Italy this one came out in May and when it did I rushed to test it.
Well I immediately liked it and bought a 50 ml bottle.
After wearing it for a few times and enjoying it I noticed that after a couple of hours it fell a bit flat on me I thoght maybe it was because of warm weather but I can never shake the idea of Velvet Orchid drying down so common.
The lovely notes are all there rum honey vanilla and flowers and yet it turns out it's not so special after all, when you first spray you can feel Black Orchid instantely then the fragrance carries on rather sweet but not so opulent as I expexted

Chiquis
Chiquis

I just received a sample from Macys with an order I placed. Velvet Orchid is kind of like "Black Orchid the Remix" lol If there was a little something about Black Orchid that you sort of liked, but you found it to be too dark or too deep or too unisex or too dark chocolate, then you might want to test out Velvet Orchid. Velvet Orchid is much sweeter, less unisex and more girly than Black Orchid. I feel Velvet Orchid would be a bit harder for a man to pull off, but of course everyone should feel free to wear the perfume of his or her liking. I do think Velvet Orchid will be more popular with most, but I feel that it lost what makes Black Orchid so unique (and polarizing).

In Vogue
In Vogue

This is a powerhouse, in the tradition of big 80's scents. I tried a little on my wrists, and could smell a cloud of it around me, so the sillage is immense. A little goes a long way. It's also long-lasting, since it took quite a few attempts to wash it off. At first spray it was a floral-oriental, but almost instantly, the oriental part took over, and overpowered the floral notes. It smells warm, ambery, but that's probably the sandalwood, because it has that sticky, pungent, skin-like quality, and it's a little unisex. Yes, I think a man could wear this. The dry-down has that expensive Estee Lauder musk scent, which isn't surprising, since Ford is a huge fan of Youth Dew.

All in all, I wasn't impressed by this, because it's indistinctive, and lacks originality. I also find the name misleading, as it's not really a floral-oriental. It would probably appeal to those looking for a warm, cozy blanket of a scent, with an echo of their own skin.

ecerusen
ecerusen

on me this fumes smell like "black orchid l'eau" or "black orchid edt". very similar with BO but in a less cloying way.

sillage and longevity is great as same as all tom ford products.

What a strange perfume to launch in the middle of the blazing summer. I say this because Tom Ford Velvet Orchid is very sweet and thick and oriental. Definitely a winter-time scent... The very name connotes warmth and blankets and exactly the opposite of what we are seeking to combat the heat right now.

This composition smells so familiar to me, but I cannot say exactly what it smells like. Probably the thick caramel and vanilla which overlap with hundreds of fragrances today. The honey here is positively sticky. Why in the world are there four rock star perfumers involved in this project? How difficult can it be to throw some vanilla, honey, and caramel into Black Orchid and give it a stir? Reminds me of the lightbulb joke... Too many cooks?

I much prefer both Voile de Fleur and the original Black Orchid to this flanker. It's just too sweet. I might have a more positive take on this in the middle of winter, but Velvet Orchid appeared in July, so that's when I'm testing it.

NoirEternal

After being a die hard black orchid fan this fragrance will make you wonder... It's basically the same feel as black orchid but different in its own universe

Velvet orchid is the VANILLA version of Black Orchid... That imaginary but smellable black orchid accord is present here but take out the chocolate, spicy floral accord, and incense.... Put vanilla, berries, caramel, honey and vibrant florals in the mix.. Guys can still try it, but I have to add this to the orchid collection might not be around for long

I would call this a fruity floriental gourmand... Very complex smell mixture.

I do agree with a commenter... No matter how many vanilla fragrances you have velvet orchid is in a class of its own.. Reminds me of j'dore l'or but with more soul, depth, and personality with a kick of quality

lesgalaxies
lesgalaxies

Unfortunately this is just way, way, way too sweet for me.. had to give it up for return. Love the idea of a softer, sweeter 'Black Orchid', this just is not it for me. I was almost hoping some of that putrid, sharp, and sour bits of the original would come out to mingle amongst the deep, sweet notes.

Nope! My skin is left with syrupy sweet...syrup. It's by no means a bad scent, so don't get me wrong. This is clearly a chemical thing, my skin just doesn't get along with velvet orchid and that's okay. I'm sure I'll find my own orchid.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

I'm replacing my old review for this fragrance, now that I've owned it for some time.

Velvet Orchid is a fragrance that really stands out in a collection, despite how many "floral" or "vanilla" fragrances you have on the shelf. Something about this blend is so comforting, so silky and beautiful, so bold, but still smooth and delicate. There's a perfect balance of dark and light, and like all of Tom Ford's pieces of olfactory magic... the arrangement of notes is heartbreaking-ly beautiful.

The opening is a dark floral, with some spiced rum - though it's strong, it's nothing sharp. As the heart develops, there are spirals of spicy myrrh that wrap around the orchid/vanilla - this is the part of the fragrance where one spray too many can cause suffocation. (One spray in hot weather, two sprays in warm/cool, three is daring.)It's a thick, round scent that billows around you. The dry-down is just as the name suggests - velvet. A sweet, vanilla/sandalwood combination, with some of the heart's depth still hangin' around.

Wear time: 6 hours, very warm weather. I'm suspecting this will be gold in the wintertime!
Sillage: 3 feet, from 2 sprays, warm weather.

Comparison to Black Orchid: Both fragrances are sisters, not twins. They share the same strong Orchid note, depth, and soulful power - but they are night and day (literally). To simplify: Take Black Orchid, remove the chocolate, patchouli, and incense. Those are typically the notes that would drive someone away from Black Orchid, so this is a slightly more "people-pleasing" scent. To a nose on the street, this will still stop people in it's tracks, wondering what in the WORLD was that smell as you walked by. To those who have Black Orchid, it will feel familiar, but still new and exciting.

jonr951
jonr951

YES, it's very very very similar to the original, but boy is there something about Velvet that makes me actually like it a bit more than the original! Crazy, I know, but damn am I feeling it! I don't know what it is, but I'll surely figure it out with more testing. It could be that, in my opinion, it isn't as POWERFUL and INTENSE as the original, because goodness does Black hit me HARD whenever I put it on. And don't get me wrong, that's not to say Velvet is a weakling, because it certainly is not. I don't know, it just works for me much more than Black. It's delicious, and I can't wait/hope to own a bottle! And can we talk about how fantastic the bottle is done up in deep purple?! To die for. Well done Mr. Ford. ^_^

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Lovely rich violety tuberose-gardenia take on Black Orchid with fruity accents and signature black truffle... that dries down to a purply but pedestrian vanilla in two hours.

dkny27
dkny27

There's rum, there's suede (definitely a softer smoother leathery concoction), there's honey kissed orchids nestled in sultry woods... All so beautifully combined in perfect parts to create a sexy, warm, aromatic narcotic.

Much calmer than Black Orchid, like a distant cousin who may share similar features, but not the same name.
The adjective "velvet" really sums up the vibe of this fragrance. Velvet robe, velvet chaise, velvet cake, velvet skin... All of the above when it comes to Velvet Orchid.

NoirEternal

Finally smelled this while purchasing black orchid

Initial thought FLORAL BLAST dries down to a lively floral with a familiar edge to black orchid... That spiciness is there but really that's about it..... Velvet orchid really is different from black orchid by a mile

almarie

I worked the past 3 days at my store and I wore this all 3 days! I am hooked! I actually like it better than the original Black Orchid and I need this in my life! I will be buying it on Friday when I get paid. I won't be able to wait til our friends & family sale after all!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Velvet Orchid opens much like Black Orchid, a blast of patchouli and spices but with prominent boozy liquor notes followed by rather indolic flowers. It's not as harsh or "spiky" as Black Orchid" and does settle down to a sweeter rather 'velvety' texture. I found it pleasant on my skin after about 5 hours but I will not be buying this one. The final drydown is not that unique to my nose.

Frayja
Frayja

I always like Black Orchid but on my skin turns really harsh and sour.Today was the 2nd test day for Velvet Orchid and to my nose is exactly like Black Orchid without this unlikely turn.
Very high quality and distinguished perfume,really long lasting,sexy and feminine,elegant too.
Maybe I should save some money-really high price tag...

almarie

Well,I tested this today at my store (Lord & Taylor) and while I do enjoy it, I am not in love with it. I can definitely see the resemblances to the original Black Orchid, it is not what I had hoped for:( But, it's growing on me and I think eventually I will be purchasing this- probably in October when we have our next friends & family sale:)

guest_Sharkington
guest_Sharkington

Okay, while I love Black Orchid, I am just going to come out and say that I love Velvet Orchid even more - and I wasn't really expecting to! It is easier to wear for every day use, a bit lighter, unlike Black Orchid, which I feel needs to be saved for special occasions. Velvet Orchid is just so well blended. It's warm, sweet, spicy and slightly smoky. The Myrrh really stands out on my skin, along with the vanilla, rum, and suede. Overall, this is everything I want in a balsamic/balmy scent (which is one of my favorite groups of fragrances) and I am very impressed with it. It's sexy, seductive, and like black orchid, I just want to curl up in it. It quickly made it's way to my favorite fragrances. I don't often fall totally in love with a fragrance, but I truly LOVE this perfume and can't get enough of it.

Charmianne
Charmianne

This one is a winner! I became interested in Velvet Orchid due to the notes listed even though I dislike Black Orchid and I was not disappointed at all. It is rich, sweet and hypnotic. There is nothing screechy in this one which I did not like about Black Orchid, Velvet Orchid is velvety smooth. I get vanilla and jasmine the most with touches of rum and other floral notes. The suede note is not apparent and there is some sweet spiciness to the blend of notes that makes it alluring. It lasts about 8 to 9 hours. A must try for lovers of lush, sweet scents.

KillerBee6666
KillerBee6666

Such a disappointment for me.
I ordered immediately after TF private sale, was so excited! Returned it the next day.
Black Orchid still is the one and only.

Calamity
Calamity

I just smelt it a few days ago and I recall how lighter it was to Tom Ford's Black Orchid. They eliminated the dark chocolate and pachouli notes and instead added suede and made the vanilla note more predominate as it is now more creamy. It's a terrific scent and I would love if my partner wore it, especially if I wore Black Orchid to complement her. It's just not as masculine as Black Orchid can appear to be.

Overall, I feel as if Tom Ford realized that the scent he created (Black Orchid) years ago was too heavy for most women--it just didn't have that much appeal; therefore, he created Velvet Orchid. All around great fragrance. If you enjoyed Black Orchid and felt that it was a little too strong, do give Velvet Orchid a chance! You won't be displeased.

I am not a fan of TF Black Orchid, which I find suffocating, and not real pretty, but Velvet Orchid is smoother,like a softer version of Black Orchid...it starts off spicy and smokey, but the undertone is more feminine, it makes me think of the first Dior Addict, in the heavy smokey vibe...the drydown is softer, actually nice on the skin...I don't usually like TF. His fragrances are on the edge of being too masculine for me, but that one would be nice in winter..

AveParfum
AveParfum

Nicely done flanker of Black Orchid. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a flanker, but it behaves like one. At first spritz, it's reminiscent of Black Orchid, with that unmistakable earthy, chocolaty, tuber scent that either hooks you for life or offends you. But that's where the similarities end. It is not so potent as Black Orchid, although I would not call the perfume weak by any means.

Moving into the heart phase, the Black Orchid semblance retreats further and further as some heady white florals bloom, giving the perfume an interesting exotic twist, like Black Orchid for Tahiti or something. These florals are quite creamy, so I am not surprised to see vanilla among the list of notes. By the drydown, the perfume smells absolutely nothing like Black Orchid.

Yes, this seems like a creamier, more floral, more elegant, more rounded, less earthy version of Black Orchid. Velvet Orchid reminds me of Noir de Noir too, due to the vanilla. One who is familiar with Tom Ford's fragrances can't deny at this point that he has developed his fingerprint, his "Tom Ford-aid", for most of his dark perfumes are like beads on a common thread.

While Black Orchid is a modern masterpiece, I personally can't tolerate the intense earthiness; patchouli and tuber are a tad too strong. Velvet Orchid is a lot more wearable. I love how the notes mimic a realistic creamy gardenia, instead of the screechy gardenia in the original Black Orchid. Velvet Orchid is not so delicious as Black Orchid, but it is equally voluptuous and sumptuous.

Jomoves
Jomoves

The classic Black Orchid gets a minor - and I do mean minor - celebrity makeover. It's like they added just a touch of vanilla/sweet celebrity-style fragrance to the original juice and toned the whole thing down a litte so it is more wearable on a daily basis. If you love the original Black Orchid I can't see how you wouldn't like this as well.

A nice addition but more of a good example of how the demand for sweet/wearbale commercial scents is even influencing the style of high end fragrances.

lizakaya
lizakaya

I have a long love affair with Tom Ford fragrances, and am not surprised to find myself developing a love for this new juice. I agree that it is very similar to Black Orchid, the one TF I have found that disagrees with my body chemistry. I am so pleased that I can hit many of the characteristics of BO with Velvet Orchid. It not only agrees with my chemistry, but I just smell so delicious. I get strong blasts of rum, sandalwood and a melange of florals in the initial notes. As it dries down, everything is supported by a dry non-sweet but very smooth vanilla. Full bottle worthy.

NoireFox
NoireFox

I'm quite shocked that people are saying that this is softer than Black Orchid. To the contrary I find it has a much larger throw. In fact, it's such a heady projection that I actually found myself a little intimidated when I put it on.
Now I know you're wondering, "is it similar to Black Orchid?" And the answer is yes, but luckily it's not SO similar that it smells like another iteration that has simply been repackaged/renamed. This one actually smells like a properly original release (unlike the recent Oud collection). It has the warm, oriental base of Black Orchid (i.e. black truffle, orchid, sandalwood and vanilla) but with the addition of some very intense balsamic notes, musk and florals, which give it a slightly sweeter, more tropical vibe. But don't misunderstand me, this isn't a "tropical" fragrance in the classical sense (if such a "sense" exists) but it does feel exotic. It's like the perfume equivalent of a film noir in a tropical milieu (Gilda comes to mind). If you don't like florals (or strong fragrances for that matter) steer clear of this one. It's one of the most audacious floral-orientals I've smelled in a very long time, in the ranks of Jean Patou Joy or Piguet's Fracas.

Absolutely, without a doubt, one of the best releases from the house of Tom Ford. I will be buying a full bottle.

**Note: I use Black Orchid regularly, and love it.

anonymouspen
anonymouspen

I got a decant of this as it isn't out in the UK yet. It's a more polite version of Black Orchid, i.e. much more daytime/office appropriate compared to the original. I enjoyed the honey note, and the woody drydown. In one word: lovely.

lvcougar702
lvcougar702

Never tried Black Orchid, so I can't compare it to Velvet Orchid, but I must say Velvet Orchid is a winner:) I normally like really fruity girly scents and shy away from anything that's really strong or close to being a unisex scent, but this one is rich, lush and very feminine.

Truly velvety fragrance! Though lots of intense flowers are mixed together, it is not too sharp. Pleasant, little spicy, really well blended! Evening fragrance that makes a statement.

andrew_louise
andrew_louise

when in this available in Scotland/UK? And where about?

Playtime
Playtime

Guess I am one of the few who doesn't think this is an upgrade to BO. It feels unbalanced where BO has an edge to it. I get a very strong chocolate note with some generic flower perfume smell underneath.

ageletou
ageletou

I just had the chance to smell it today, as it just arrived in the Greek Market. It is quite different in comparison to BO. As its name mentions, it is much softer and velvet than BO. It starts quite strongly with the honey note to be very dominant but as time goes by, it becomes milder but still I could say that honey, is the key note in the whole composition. (Generally speaking, I love honey and the smell of it, and I have to admit that it is, a very nice "honey" perfume). The duration/longevity of the fragrance is smaller than that, of BO. I am quite surprised that an oriental floral perfume was launched in the markets, just before Summer. (In MHO, I consider oriental floral fragrances "heavy" and more appropriate for Autumn / Winter). So, I am not sure if it is suitable for Summer, although it is definitely lighter than BO. Unfortunately its price in GREECE is still, very, very expensive despite the current 35% off.... Between the two, I am thinking of buying BO again, instead of VO, since I have run out of it, and still remains, my favourite fragrance for Winter.

deda147

Just sprayed this on: initial impression seems a lot lighter than BO. The honey note is very prominent and so are the florals. It has a light chocolate feeling to it. I love it so far! I agree it's a tad more feminine than BO is. Sillage is huge though.... pretty sure it really is worth the money! Like it a lot better than BO so far.

Edit: Well, now I'm home I can finally write a more elaborate review. The opening is simply to die for: it's gorgeous, sweet, boozy rum with citrus touches and a good dollop of honey. The honey here isn't cloying; is rather the mouthwatering, opulent kind. Around 30 minutes later the flowers come into play and I must say I'm still impressed. The opening transitions really well into the florals and I like the middle stage the best. It's smells a bit like a mixture between milk choclate - rum - floral bouquet - honey But the drydown kind of disappointed me. The lovely honey and floral notes disappear and the suede and vanilla notes come into play. The volume is toned down significantly; like if someone who talked out loud first decides to whisper all of a sudden. The drydown is still lovely, yes, but less memorable than BO. It's just too soft for me and it's sillage got toned down rather quickly after only 2-3 hours. I have a hard time smelling it myself: I sprayed it on my wrist, but my mom says she can still clearly smell it.
I would buy VO if it would be cheaper. The opening and middle notes are quite unique to me, but I'm just not impressed by it's drydown. Wouldn't pay full retail price for this one. Too bad Tom Ford's are hardly discounted on online discount shops.

Update 2: Hmm I guess I blame the fact that I became anosmic to it for a while that I couldn't smell it. I get wafts of the fragrance the whole time: it's floral, fresh, and luckily I can still smell a bit of the honey, but most of the drydown consists of the velvety, soft orchid and vanilla/suede. Still not sure if I would buy it. It sounds a bit weird, but it reminds me of a lighter version of Miss Dior Le Parfum. Whereas that one is heavier on the amber with honey facets and powdery/sweet vanilla, they both share the floral and fresh opulence thanks to their floral middle notes/citrus opening notes. It's really nice, but not super memorable, at least IMHO.

Senzadite
Senzadite

tsmith2021: EBAY.

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

The first impression is Black Orchid!
But it soon turns to a sweet flowery velvety delicious smell! I love the sweetness coming from the flowers instead of chocolate!

For anyone in the UK who was looking forward to trying this soon prepare for disappointment, because you've got a bit longer to wait. I thought this would be dropping immanently but to my dismay it won't be available until September.
On the bright side though apparently Tom Ford is making two new releases in a collection based around neroli Portofino as he did with the recent Oud releases.

madgefan
madgefan

Just got this. Doesn't remind me of Black Orchid at all. It's very lovely though. It's like a calmer, sweeter, more floral version of Coco by Chanel. It's got an adult, mellow floral vibe to it, mixed with animalic notes. Maybe that's the suede I'm smelling. It has a pungency to it, but it's not overpowering. The only thing in common I'd say this has with Black Orchid is that they're both bold scents, but Velvet Orchid would be considered much more wearable. I love this perfume because do I love scents that have a skanky animal note to them.

allaboutbeauty
allaboutbeauty

Velvet Orchid is a sweeter, softer and more floral version of Black Orchid. Something about BO just didn't do it for me, but this one is amazing! More wearable in my opinion and can be worn any time day or night. Pretty good longevity but sits close to the skin by about 7 hours. At first I was concerned that the rum notes would be too strong upon initial spray, but the rum comes and goes so quickly that you hardly know it's there. It adds just the right touch of sweetness without being boozy. Velvet Orchid is definitely a must-have for TF lovers!

advabart
advabart

IMO, Velvet Orchid is the feminine version of Black Orchid. She definitely bears resemblance to her older brother, but unlike him, she is pleasant, milder, and much easier to wear.
In a way, Velvet Orchid might be trying to steal Black Orchid's thunder, but despite her efforts, I still cannot see her as a masterpiece of her own...

christianne1 has nicely put it, "If you like Black Orchid, you should love this. If you don't like Black Orchid, you may still love this."

alberto1964
alberto1964

Opulence: The first feeling I get when I smell Velvet Orchid. An overwhelming variation on the theme of Black Orchid: less chocolate and spices and more suede with strong floral notes. I do not understand why it comes as a feminine perfume because it is certainly sweet but suede notes soften the intensity: undoubtedly a unisex fragrance. Longevity and Sillage are very good. Charming but...Black Orchid is my favorite!

christianne1
christianne1

WOWZERS....Velvet Orchid is as good as I expected and I had high expectations because of all the raves so that is saying something. This could have been a Private Blend easily. This is what I had imagined Velvet Gardenia to smell like (but it didn't)...a big luxurious gardenia-like magnolia (or maybe the other white flowers are playing a trick on me but it smells like gardenia to me), velvety smooth and sweet boozy base, fruity citrus notes to keep all the sweetness in check, vanilla, honey, touch of resins and musk....it smells like you imagine a beautiful purple orchid to smell. This stuff does smell purple. Velvet Orchid smells retro and modern all at the same time....but more than anything, it smells like femininity and luxury. It is powerful, so go easy on the trigger. The dry down after a couple of hours is more delicate and creamy but for the first hour or so you will have pretty prominent sillage.

If you like Black Orchid, you should love this. If you don't like Black Orchid, you may still love this. This isn't chocolatey and doesn't have anything animalic or skanky so don't be afraid to give it a shot if you are not a Black Orchid fan. Velvet Orchid is definitely different from the original, while retaining many of the same qualities. It is simply divine!

dolcethadon

I love Black Orchid so I could not wait to try Velvet Orchid.. I ran into a bottle today and I gave it a couple squirts on the tester strip and was put into a state of bliss when I inhaled the scent.. The similarity to Black Orchid was apparent right away.. You could smell that mysterious sweet almost gourmand vibe of Black Orchid but Velvet Orchid achieves a similar vibe without being as sweet or gourmand and with a composition of very different notes.. I could definitely detect the boozy note from the rum when first sprayed which is very nice in contrast with the florals.. The honey is there right from the beginning lending its sweet odor.. Than the orchids and other florals start to come out to play, and this is the part that makes this a slightly more feminine fragrance than Black Orchid.. I can detect some woods and a nice hint of myrrh.. But the star of the show is the gorgeous suede note from top to bottom that gives Velvet Orchid its velvety vibe.. This is an absolutely gorgeous fragrance, a modern masterpiece just like Black Orchid.. Velvet Orchid is more feminine than Black Orchid but I will still pull it off once I get my hands on some.. Velvet Orchid is also a bit more grown up and mature than Black Orchid.. This is even better than I thought it would be! I did not think they would be able to make a fragrance that was going to be able to live up to its predecessor, but they did!

kaside66
kaside66

I had a chance to test this beauty yesterday and I fell in love instantly. This is a very high quality fragrance. IMO this is the best release of 2014 so far. I love black orchid also. As mentioned before this one is more floral and more feminine. I am glad that chocolate is replaced with honey in this version. It's creamy but not powdery. All notes are very well balanced. I will buy a FB soon.

Schnuppernase
Schnuppernase

This is incredibly stunning! I always walked around the original Black Orchid, but never bought it because it was too chocolate-like for me. But this is heaven! As soon as I saw it and tested it I had to admit this is one of the best perfumes ever. And I had to buy it immediately (although it is pricey).

It sure is velvety, it becomes even more velvety and milky after wearing it a while. Soft vanilla leather spice and orchid. Still there is this bitter chocolate undertone, but it is not too prominent.

I think Velvet Orchid is sexy and extremely glamouros, but still has that soft, warm and snuggly side. I don't know how it does that, but it really "speaks" to me.

Simply WOW. My new precious...

Michael1962
Michael1962

Can't believe that this perfume was released here in Australia before the UK.Smelled it last weekend and my mother in law,who wanted to purchase Coco Noir sprayed some on at the TF counter.
She quickly changed her mind and promptly purchased a 50 ml bottle of Velvet Orchid.
I must admit its the best fragrance I have ever smelled on her.Floral but not overly sweet and definitely has a slight unisex vibe going on.Not as spicy and dark ad Black Orchid.Another Tom Ford masterpiece :)

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Velvet orchid is not as dark as Black orchid but is nevertheless as enjoyable!

I understand why people are reminded of Black orchid, it's because of the orchid/Vanilla accords.

Although I have to say something... Sure both fragrances share those typical two notes but they are different. Each one has it's own character.

Velvet orchid's center stage is orchid/vanilla which gives it a creamy and velvety texture and a nice feminine touch is brought by the honey. The result is a long lasting perfume that sits close to the skin while radiating whiffs from time to time.

Black orchid on the other hand has an incense/chocolate center stage with touch of orchids on the background giving the fragrance a darker and edgier smell and a unisex vibe. It has a monster sillage and a long long lasting power.

So, for me, velvet orchid is not comparable to Black orchid. They are distinct fragrances and I tend to favor one on the other... Looking at you black orchid!

loveit
loveit

Where can this perfume be bought in UK and at what price?

hell831
hell831

hi im a 48 year old lady in the uk just got my first bottle of the new tom ford velvet orchid love it have to say i am a very fussy when it comes to perfum i have lots of good ones and bad i am a big fan of tom ford love most of his mens or ladies dont mind his new velvet orchid is lovely first very sweet but warms down to a beautiful long lasting frag nothing like black orchid at all this is better for me all have to try it its a must 10 out of 10 from me hope this helps 5 *****

Aysu

Received my bottle today, and I agree with comments below, Yazounet.
"Velvet" name fits very well to this version as it is not so sharp as Black Orchid, a bit softer, less spice and less patchouli (patchouli is not mentioned in the notes but I get some whiffs). This is still very similar to Black Orchid.
In my opinion BO Voile De Fleur was more different flanker, with prominent flower/gardenia notes but this one is more true to Black Orchid.
In the opening, rum note was very dominant, making it a boozy fragrance, feels like you smell a sweet well made liqueur. The other dominant note is vanilla, but not a gourmand one, very well blended with floral notes.
It has been two hours since I first spritzed in on my skin and I started to feel leather/suede like accords finally, again together with sweet and flowery notes, this is turning into a great milky oriental floral.. Finally, I can say that this is more feminine Black Orchid, and all notes mentioned here mixed together like a masterpiece. I am not feeling any regret with my blind buy.

yazounet
yazounet

YAY! I am the first one to put my hands on this masterpiece. And I couldnt help but write you guys.. This is smelling nearly similar to black orchid. It is more velvety as the name says. It is more floral.. More feminine side.. But as a guy I would wear it. I didnt wait for the dry down but. The first sniff was like black orchids drydown.. When That chocolate note is gone... I love it. Hope you guys enjoy it!! I suppose if thats possible... It has a better sillage than black orchid. Wow this one is a catch!!

Aysu

It is released in Turkey this week and I immediately placed an order from web, thinking that TF Black Orchid flanker is not risky for a blind buy.
I will receive it in 1-2 days and write my comments :-)

I live in hope it's not too floral either and I can wear it.
Hurry up and drop this one TOM!!!!!

dolcethadon

Wow! I just checked this again and now I see they have the official note breakdown.. I knew that there was no way this fragrance consisted of just four different florals.. The notes look simply stunning although this one does sound like it will be far more feminine than Black Orchid but If I could pull it off than I will be excited to try it! Sounds beautiful!

lindaberlin
lindaberlin

Can Hardly Wait!!! All those notes sound wonderful!!
Hope samples will be available soon

MiguelHarris
MiguelHarris

If you see any pre voting on notes before the fragrance is released just simply THUMB IT BACK DOWN

THE NOTES HAVENT FULLY BEEN GIVEN OR EVEN A RELEASE DATE... FRAGRANTICA SHOULD HAVE VOTING RIGHTS DISABLED UNTIL THE CONFIRMED RELEASE OF THE FRAGRANCE...

THE VOTING SYSTEM IS NOT USED FOR PICKING YOUR FAVORITE NOTES OR WHAT YOU THINK ITS GOING TO BE LIKE.. BUT GIVING OTHER PEOPLE A CLEAR VISION OF WHAT STANDS OUT IN FRAGRANCE & ACCURATE WEAR / SEASONAL USE "WHICH IN THIS CASE IS IMPOSSIBLE"

SO STOP IT

MonaThorbourne
MonaThorbourne

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING that this hasn't been released yet but people are voting on silage and longevity! WOW ... God-like people! STOP VOTING!!!! Nothing wrong with comments, but the damn thing has NOT been released yet

Galadia
Galadia

Let's just be honest if this follows the steps & legacy of BLACK ORCHID with a more unique spin.... THIS WILL BE THE FRAGRANCE OF 2014, other designer fragrance houses need super glue for those wigs that this fragrance is about to snatch off

I do believe this version will be creamier & more lush.... Purple is also seductive so I do believe this will be a dark warm fragrance.... Don't let notes fool you we are talking about the new child of the dark oriental that is Black Orchid... So do expect that dark character

Let's hope for the best... The original Black Orchid means a lot to me, I unfortunately never got to smell (Black Orchid Voile de Fleur) but I see it seems to be a good follow up by reviews (maybe one day I'll get my hands on a bottle).... But I have enough confidence to believe this will not shame the two that came before it

dolcethadon

I know the notes above look super floral and feminine but I hope there is more to it than just orchid, jasmine, and rose.. The bottle is gorgeous, I hope I can pull this one off.. Black Orchid, White Patchouli, Violet Blonde, and Sahara Noir are all wearable to me..

denncita
denncita

honestly, I can't wait to test this, being a fan of the original black orchid I know this will smell divine... but then again, most women will like it since it appears to be more feminine than BO... let's just hope it doesn't smell like flowerbomb.