Designers » T-Z » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Set Sail St. Barts for Men Tommy Bahama for men
dislike

salty
marine

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Set Sail St. Barts for Men was launched in 2007. Top notes are lime, tequila, sea notes and agave; middle notes are guava, green notes and salt; base notes are musk, vanille and palm leaf.

Lime Tequila Sea Notes Agave

Electric Blue Seduction for Men

Set Sail St. Barts for Men Fragrance Reviews

adoratek
adoratek

Margaritaville... pure and simple.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Yes! I'm glad to have bought the man version instead of the woman's since is more of an energizing scent. A beach vacation on a bottle; a blast of citrus before the sweet vanilla, coconut & greens come out to play. Together with the salty sea notes is a very interesting frag. It's just like spending time on a bar on a beach relaxing with a margarita. Love!

Bingles21
Bingles21

Tommy Bahama's Set Sail St. Barts for Men - a vacation in a bottle, perhaps?

The Set Sail line of fragrances from this designer have been getting some flak recently, but this one is by far my favorite out of the scents that remain.

Tequila shots and margaritas by the beach! Drydown isn't quite as boozy as the first moments. However, the agave, lime, and salty marine notes - just a little spritz and head for the nearest stretch of sand. Makes me want to book a flight to Cabo...

Rating: 8.5/10

D-Bo
D-Bo

Let's be honest... This is not VIW, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a good fragrance. Longevity and sillage are ok on both accounts and the fragrance is a nice summer scent. It does envoke feelings of a beach vacation and has a heavy citrus opening with distinct aquatic notes throughout. If you spray this on clothes, the lime opening lasts significantly longer and is more intense. On skin, it's not going to last you more than a few hours.

For those of you who are looking to compare with VIW, you probably won't be disappointed with Set Sail. It's missing a few key notes, Coconut and Rum are non existant, but like VIW, there's a distinct vacation/island vibe with this one. At the price point, there's really no going wrong in testing it. I feel the drydown is the best part of this fragrance. Overall I give this a 7.5 out of 10 in warm weather.

dmetzger
dmetzger

This fragrance does exactly what it sets out to do.

Smells exactly like a blanco tequila and lime spritz. It does have a slightly soapy drydown but is otherwise pretty linear from start to finish. Very cooling and uplifiting for me.

Does not have the performance I would like or it could have easily been a niche fragrance.

Scent: 6/10 unique and memorable but not as versatile as others in the Tommy Bahama range.
Longevity: 5/10 I only get a few hours tops of scent before it might as well not be there.
Sillage: 3/10 it has a very light trail.
Projection 4/10: I wish this was better because I love the scent but past arms length it doesn't exist.

Would I buy it again: probably.

MrHonest
MrHonest

Whoa, this is a limey CK One or CK Be. And what's that? Froot Loops? Yeah, you know what I mean.

Nat001
Nat001

I love this stuff on my husband! It is definitively a dupe for Virgin Island Water. It is inexpensive and has a great quality. I am blown away by the quality of this and it was totally unexpected. It opens up with a blast of pina colada but the fruitiness disappears after the first 30 min. What's left behind is a very pleasant clean smell which I find very long lasting, even though it stays close to the skin. The opening and the dry down are like two totally different colognes. Every time my husband wears this I ask what are you wearing??? lol He looks at me and says the same stuff lol. I can't help but to ask because it just surprises me over and over again. I do not find this unisex though. It is not overly masculine but I like my fragrances to be super feminine so I did not find this unisex at all. Safe blind buy due to its quality and low price. Perfect summer scent for men! To me, this is for men what D&G Light Blue is for women. Not that they smell similar but they sure serve the same purpose.

H2Ono
H2Ono

HArd to over sprAy this one! A very hAppy scent.
Does Anyone like Another Tommy B. As much or better?

francie79
francie79

I bought this because so many said it smelled similar to virgin island water. I have never smelled that one so I can't compare but I have been really enjoying the Tommy scent. It is definitely unisex and I got a bottle off eBay for 20 bucks. It's fun and easy to wear, very fresh with lime as the prominent note on my skin. I was looking for a summer scent that I could liberally spray with abandon that was fresh and made me feel clean in the heat and this is it. The alcohol note doesn't show up on me so tommy smells more like a lime coconut musk that is a little sweet. I've been reaching for it almost everyday and it's just so easy to wear. Love this one!

Bkkorn
Bkkorn

As inexpensive as this frag is, one word can sum this one up......FUN. It's a very fun scent to wear. For sure has that party, lime, tequila smell and just screams "I'm a fun guy, come party with me".

I would only use this in the summer, hot days and when it's a "fun/exciting" atmosphere. A good scent if your going out to the bar for drinks, beach, vacations or anything of that upbeat fun nature.

I wouldn't wear this to work, for a co-worker might say "ummm...have you been drinking?"

Longevity is not bad, about 4-5 hours on my skin.

Ariba! Mas tequilaaaaaa!

fresh_scents

Hey, opinions and taste preferences are allowed to change, particular when it comes to a fragrance such as this one. You just can't beat the price and for how well, In my opinion, how it responds during those warm and very hot weather days.

tlalexander210
tlalexander210

Did a comparison with Set Sail Martinique. I do enjoy both fragrances. They are very much equal but have a few differences.

Really beachy summertime scent. Love it. Glad I brought mine to California while I am down here for work. Pass me some salt and lime! Very nice!

Lightning
Lightning

It's like 70% as good as Virgin Island Water for 20% of the price.

lemonzest

UPDATE: Set Sail St. Barts for Men by T. Bahama is just such a perfect hot weather scent if you love lime (and I definitely do).

It's the only scent I have been able to wear while running. Normally I only want to smell Sweet Sweat (a workout enhancer that I swear has prevented my ever having shin splints in mumble-something years of distance running). Perfumes make me queasy when it's 90 degrees and I am doing a long run. But not this one!! I spray it on my shorts. During the run I get occasional wafts of this lime boozy dry sandy beachy smell, and pretend I am blissfully running on a tropical beach (rather than slogging through mile nine along the fire ant trail on the banks of a muddy humid Texas bayou).

This is the only smell I can abide when running, other than Sweet Sweat and the chemical weapons-grade spf 50 sunscreen I wear to stave off damage to my freckled Irish skin.

Seriously, try this for exercise. Great smell.

noblenose
noblenose

Lots of lime, tequila and salt. It took me a couple of times before I appreciated this fragrance. It has a significant sting to it and I would have loved it if it had more of guava and agave to it, instead it has more of a salty-aquatic feel to it.

It is a sexy fragrance for a hot day when you wear something casual during the day, think of shorts and a cotton shirt on the beach or on the sailboat, it has nothing formal about it.

A good piece for the collection if you find it on a good deal.

VibeOil
VibeOil

Salty tequila with lime, a few vague florals and a little musk and wood. A limey island spin on the typical aqua colonia. Short lived, more dry than sweet, and ideal for hot summer weather as light wisps of lime waft in the breeze. Does sit at the same table as VIW, along with Guerlain Homme, but way less strength and quality. If you’re looking for a true inexpensive VIW substitute, try Homme L’eau Boisee - a high quality lime and vetiver that shines in the heat. But as a cheap, easygoing daytime scent, I’d get this again. Hands down THE beach pick. Big question with St. Barts: would a dash of coconut make it even better?

jason.luedtke
jason.luedtke

I didn't realize this was an eau de cologne until after I purchased it. I was super bummed out, but I have been over spraying this like a mad man, because I love the authentic lime note that is on the top. I really wish Tommy Bahama would make this into an EDP version, I would definitely repurchase this when my bottle is gone. But since it's only a weak EDC, when this bottle is gone I wont get another one. This is only a good fragrance, not a great one. It is borderline a waste of $20. but with all that said, I usually wear this after the shower at night time, and go to sleep smelling like a tequila with lime. I've never gotten a compliment wearing this one, I would guess that is because it is very weak. If you want a good smelling authentic lime note, this is your buy. I have seen some comparisons to Creed's Virgin Island Water, i'm afraid not. I hate to burst your bubble. That was my main motive for purchasing this, and I was quickly disappointed. O well, you live you learn. I can't get over the fact that it's an eau de cologne, if it was at least an eau de toilet i'd probably replace it when my bottle is gone. It is a unique affordable scent.

mfeezy
mfeezy

I like this. Never had VIW but I do own Coney Island. This reminds me of CI but the longevity is to be questioned. My lady says its nice and subtle.A light airy scent with hints of coconut in it...

knoxknoll777
knoxknoll777

Really like the opening on this one. A lot of lime that does sort of remind me of Creed's VIW. But shortly after turns into something totally different IMO. I think the opening is really good but near the middle and base turns into a mediocre fragrance. It's a shame to me. Could have been really great. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good but not everything I was hoping for.

DJPaulsGimpArm
DJPaulsGimpArm

My mother usually mails the standard giftcards and letters to everyone around Christmas, but this last year she really wanted to get everyone actual gifts. After several phone calls from her insisting I tell her something I'd like for Christmas, I finally mentioned that I was out of my Tommy cologne and I wouldn't mind having a new bottle of Tommy for men. Well, sure enough a box turned up in the mail from my mom and I thought alright! New bottle of Tommy Hilfiger, thanks mom! Turns out mom saw the "Tommy..." in the name on this and was like "Score!" And now I have a giant bottle of Tommy BAHAMA. I was disappointed at first, but then I took this fragrance for a few spins and, well....

Considering I don't fall into the demographic that this brand is geared towards (baby boomers enjoying retirement on the beach, wearing Hawaiian shirts, and drinking cocktails out of a coconut while listening to Jimmy Buffett), I have to say I was surprised that I ended up liking this as much as I do. And this fragrance encapsulates that identity PERFECTLY in a bottle. Think of the image I just presented, think of what that might smell like as a cologne. Boom, this is it.

While that might sound bad to you (it would to me, too), in this application it is actually done so well that it ends up hard not to like.

The most important thing to know about this fragrance is that, for the first time in my experience, this is a fragrance where every note in the pyramid above is definitely noticeable. As I look through the note pyramid I can't help but nod my head and say "yep...yep...yep". This is the first fragrance where I can say: just look at it's perfume pyramid and imagine what that must smell like: Congrats, you've nailed it.

Initial spritz has a wonderful, bracing and breezy splash of lime and tequila which, when mingled with the salt notes, smells exactly like a whiff of the ocean breeze off of one's Margarita while the palm notes subtly dance throughout, like wind through the leaves of palm trees. As it begins to calm into a combination of classically masculine, dry, woody musks, you are then introduced to a creamy vanilla note that, like nutmeg and cinnamon on the froth of a cappuccino or hot chocolate, mixes together and creates a wonderful blend of smooth and strong. A consistent hint of lemon oil throughout brings the drydown notes together and seems to linger forever. It is truly wonderful.

Sillage is beautiful, just strong enough to catch a whiff anytime the wind shifts or I happen to move my arm in front of my face. I think the pinnacle of good sillage is when you are not reminded every second you're wearing a fragrance because you reek of it, but when you are reminded of it subtly throughout the day with the occasional physical movement this way or that. This is perfect in that regard. Personally, I get very good longevity as well. The musky lemon oil can be strong if you overdo it, though.
While it is smooth and not cloying, I still recommend "misting" with this scent as opposed to spraying directly on focal points. Misting allows the variety of notes to shine and keeps the musk and lemon oil in the drydown from becoming too dominant.

I would have never thought I would like a fragrance that so perfectly represents a demographic I have nothing in common with but here we are. I guess it's just proof that when something is done well, truly well, it will be highly regarded one way or another. While Nautica Voyage will always be my go to aquatic when I crave a breathe of unadulterated, FRESH ocean air; St. Bart's is equally as successful as a go to for a reminder of that slightly sweet, slightly salty, slightly alcoholic character that the ocean air takes on when there's a party going on. What's special is everyone is relaxed, uninhibited and happy. If Nautica Voyage is a pure expression of nature, St. Bart's is a pure expression of humanity within that nature.

lemonzest

When I compared the notes on the men's and women's St. Barts, I went with the men's version. Glad I did! This is the beachy summery scent I have wanted. The lime projects and endures...lime can wimp out in some fragrances, but not here.

Not very aquatic, but the bottle looks like it belongs to a sailor with that little roap decoration.

With tequila and lime notes, this should smell like a margarita. However, my chemistry turns almost everything sweet, so this smells more like a mojito or maybe Key lime pie. Yes, more like pie.

I love smelling like Key lime pie. I could smell like this all summer.

Suitable for men or women.

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

This is fresh, citrusy, and tropical. This isn't Caribbean or Polynesian tropical, this is "Mexican Riviera tropical." It smells like you spilled a margarita on yourself while having the time of your life in Cancun. I didn't really expect to notice that herbal, slightly bitter agave/tequila note, but it's definitely there if you pay attention. If you're looking for classy and luxurious, you've come to the wrong fragrance. This is so casual and laid back. It basically it smells like sunshine, vacation and casual summer days. If you're unsure about the "for men" part, don't let that scare you off. This is undoubtedly unisex.

TwinPower22
TwinPower22

This does smell SIMILAR, but not IDENTICAL to Creed VIW. I am wearing both right now as I type this review. The best way to compare the two is: VIW is made of real Pina Colada ingredients, whereas SSSB is made of artificial flavors.
Also, VIW is straight Pina Colada all the way through, whereas SSSB turns more lime, designer, and masculine as it drys down. To be 100% honest, it's absolutely foolish not to own SSSB. For the price and scent, I mean, you can't beat it with a stick.
I took VIW on vacation with me last year and wore it almost everyday. The only reason I really bought SSSB was to compare the two, and see what all the fuss was about. I would say if you already own one of these fragrances, I wouldn't buy the other, however, if you don't own either, I would strongly recommend buying SSSB over VIW. I guess at the end of the day you have to ask yourself if smelling like Pina Colada for 2-3 hours worth $150?

BeeZo875
BeeZo875

It's ok.. I'm not mad at this one. Very middle of the road linear scent. Got it at Marshalls for $10 bucks. I wear it to the gym. Surprising that I get so many compliments when I wear it..

Edit: (July 6th 2016) I hate this frag.. Gives me a headache every time I wear it. Gave it to my 13yr old son.. Not sure if he'll wear it either, he's a bit of a frag snob..

Chimp
Chimp

Smells nothing like Creed Virgin Island Water, Set Sail is a boozy lemon marine fragrance. VIW is a very synthetic metallic coconut perfume. St Barts doesn't smell cheap, has a longer sillage and a more pleasant overall scent, one of the best fresh frags i've ever smelled.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

This is fantastic, freshly squeezed lime in simple syrup with a salted rim. It's sweet, salty, fresh, and has nice green note undertones. I got a mini in a trade, I already told my boyfriend I was giving it to him. He's lucky because I would keep this for myself in a heartbeat.
Oddly enough didn't really like virgin island water.

angelo..zucchinni
angelo..zucchinni

soo good to know that amazing affordable sofisticated scents can be had with good research...this shit is awesome..i want to lick it off....and its special...and theyre practically giving it away these days

Sierrasaurusrex

I layered this with the body shop coconut body mist, now it smells of pure summery goodness.
Edit: Today I bought a body spray from walmart called Nspa by nirvana spa coconut body mist. It's in the body wash section near all the calgon stuff. It smells like a salty coconut smothered beach, probably the best coconut scent I have found, it's super good. So I figured I would mix this and St. Barts and I'll be in heaven. Oh my gosh, this combo is sooo good!! Super cheap too.

Marino419
Marino419

This smells nothing like VIW to me. The only similarity is that it is perfect for the summer. This smells just like a margarita.

There is a lot of synthetic notes here that over power. After it all settles down, it is a decent summer fragrance. I do reapply through the day. Cannot beat the price for sure!

JohnMc
JohnMc

I really am curious about the offerings of Tommy Bahama (specifically this one as I love my bottle of Creed's Virgin Island Water), the bottle alone seems to promise lush tropical island vitality and Sun. In the middle of a cold English winter, this looks just the tonic!

Konga5000
Konga5000

Throw out all your Cool Waters, Blue Waters, etc. This is the ONE. Very affordable high quality "drinking cocktails on your beach vacation" juice. The formula is perfect. Just ignore the "for Men" part-- this is Perfectly Unisex as well!

VILFI
VILFI

I have tested Virgin Island Water, CK Eternity now and Tommy Bahama and compared them, all being "tropical" and summer appropiate. Eternity Now is good but strange. VIW by Creed has a wonderful smell and I kind of regret selling it because the coconut was natural smelling, however it had a very sharp almost nauseating lime wall that obstructed the coconut to live out. This one is more well blended and fresh than VIW in my opinion. It smells very nice and alluring and it's true what they say; you get coconut from this despite it not appearing on the pyramid. It's great, but perhaps a little weaker than I had wanted (as always with fresh scents). I have to test further, but a solid first impression and a potential buy for me for next summer.

landshark321
landshark321

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's is a delightful concoction of lime, coconut, and margarita-esque notes. It's a fun warm-weather day mix that lends itself to casual use, embodying the alcohol aspect of Creed's Virgin Island Water without the overwhelming rum note. SSSB is the only bottle I own in the lime/alcohol category because I have not yet encountered another that is as valuable, but I'm not well-versed in summer boozy fragrances so I'm sure others have plenty of alternatives in mind.

It's an EDC, so while admittedly not strong, it has good projection for the first few hours and then as a skin scent for a few hours more. Spray liberally, if in doubt. I imagine this can work as well for a woman as it can for a man but admit that I haven't smelled it on a woman yet. I wouldn't argue that there's anything especially masculine about it.

It's unusually good at its price point, at $20 for 100ml in stores like Ross or Nordstrom Rack, so I generally regard SSSB as one of the go-to informal summer day cologne that anyone looking for something new should try.

7 out of 10

whiteberry
whiteberry

Lime, Coconut, Salt

SickestCobra
SickestCobra

This fragrance is unbelievable!.

It's like they've captured summer in a bottle and now no matter what weather or season your in, You can always enjoy a little piece of paradise!.

My First Impression top notes were,

-Slight Musk Note

Longetivity on my skin.
-6 to 8 hours.

Projection/Sillage.
-Moderate "Nothing that is going to offend anyone"

Compliments.
-First lady i passed while wearing it told me i smelled amazing! "Her age was around 30"

Price.
19.99 at Ross! "I GOT IT AT ROSS! CAME OUT FEELING LIKE A BOSS!"

Overall Rating out of 10.
9 Out Of 10 - "I really was hoping for a coconut note which really would of made this perfect, and i really wish the sillage was a bit stronger just because I want to stick out in the crowd not just blend in with the rest.

Would i recommend this to a friend?
Without a hesitation! :) Hope my review helps and enjoy!

magicman4130
magicman4130

This smells AMAZING! I have both creed Virgin Island water and this gem and most of the time I wear this. M'lady loves both equally. It's so ridiculously cheap and it smells waaaaaay good you have to add this essential into "the collection ".

5 (perfect)s*ars 4 me.

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

Rewriting my review:

Wore this side-by-side with Creed Virgin Island Water, since the reason I bought this was because it's well-known as a worthy fill-in.

The main thing is that the two fragrances evoke similar feeling, which is that of a beachy vacation on white, sandy beaches with some kind of drink with lime in it. Although they're not exactly alike, they're different birds that sing a similar song; VIW sings it better.

VIW is "real lime", where Set Sail St. Barts feels more like lime juice from a plastic lime. No coconut here, but because all the notes here are almost always accompanied by coconut, your nose WANTS to smell coconut and you get the sensation of it. It's weird, but it works. Also weird is that you can smell the salt notes, but it also works.

VIW lasts longer, but Set Sail St. Barts projects slightly more; as i wear both, sitting here typing this review, I can smell my "Tommy Bahama" wrist more than I can smell my "Creed" wrist. Both will perform amazingly in the heat of Summer.

8/10 for me, in my personal opinion this stuff is a worthy fill-in for VIW but certainly not a replacement for it. Great fragrance for the price.

streamer
streamer

I recently got a small .50oz bottle of this. Honestly I didn't really care for it while wearing it during my normal daily routine. I took it on my recent yearly family vacation to the beach, and I've got to say I loved wearing it there. It fit so well with my surroundings, and made them even more enjoyable. Also this is so cheap, I never felt bad spraying it on knowing I'd be in and out of the water. I'll probably reserve this one for beach trips, or in the middle of winter when I need a mental vacation, lol.

MrBumblepants
MrBumblepants

I loved this one but unfortunately it would always give me a very bad headache. No matter how little I sprayed it still had the same result. So I had to sell my bottle. Not sure why I had that reaction but I've found I'm very sensitive to colognes and perfumes so have to be very careful about what I can actually wear.

Great summer tropical scent. I've never owned or smelled Virgin Island Water so don't know how close or not the scent is. But this one is very very good. Immediately makes you think of a tropical island.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't wanna spend the money on Creed.

Lmuradian
Lmuradian

This smells like VIW in its dreams! i can see the vibe of it. But definitly not identical. You must be smoking some good shit from the virgin islands to think this smells like VIW.But it is a nice scent for what it is.

DCE
DCE

Ok, so lets set the record straight once and for all.

Set Sail smells like its in the same CATEGORY as virgin island water. I own both and although they are similar, theyre similar in the same way a ferarri is similar to a Bugati Veyron.

this is really an exceptional low priced fragrance, and youd be excused for thinking differently.
It opens up with a sharp fresh dose of citrus lime and sea water, salty and tasty. theres definently a tequila air about it. but its not alcholoic, or boozy to a point where its harsh. its very moreish, you keep smelling your wrist with this one.

Would it replace my Creed? No of course not, but at the same time, its certainly going to be sitting next to it!
well....that is when i can find a full size bottle!

ecojoe69
ecojoe69

Fresh, bright,green, lime/citrus, and yes margarita. Its strange to say but it really does smell like a homemade margarita with salt. That pretty much sums it up. I really enjoy this great break from my usual winter, dark, gourmand scents. Its dirt cheap and a great summer scent that I would highly recommend.

BriantheFragranceNewb
BriantheFragranceNewb

For me, this is like having a margarita on the beach. I definitely get the lime and tequila notes and something a little sweet that reminds me of coconut in suntan lotion. I think it's a great, fresh scent that works well in warmer weather. I recently had a date night with my wife, and I used 2 or 3 sprays before we headed out. It was actually very noticeable for hours. I bought a 100ml bottle at TJ Maxx for $20 on a blind buy, but I bought it based on recommendations from a friend. I have no regrets.

Pare159
Pare159

Bang for the buck cheapie. Summer staple. VIW but not quite. Garners compliments. 4 hrs longevity maybe 6 depends on your skin chem. Sillage is moderate.

lance059
lance059

Hmmm so much like many other frags I guess this was reformulated. Im guessing I have the reformulated bc performance is bad. I know its an EDC but Id say its just a small step better than 4711 which is probably the weakest performing frag around.

I get mostly just lime. Slight sweetness. At this point, I use it for short errands bc thats about the extent of the life. For $20 100ml, Im more curious of how CK One Summer 2014 smells and Kenneth Cole Vintage Black, both do a similar lime and margarita scent.

I did try layering it with Marc Jacobs for Men since most comment about the fig leaf giving a coconutty smell. Smelt ok and gave it more longevity. Need more testing.

sentman
sentman

I didn't expect much, but what a great surprise. On my skin the opening is Lime and salt. After few minutes the coconut appears and all together is a great scent. Very summery and fresh. Projection is good and to my surprise longevity was not bad. At least 4 hours and maybe a bit longer. Not bad for cologne! All in all is great inexpensive fragrance for summer. I liked it a lot

Danceswithscent
Danceswithscent

Magical stuff this. It's like I was making margaritas and the blender blew up and coated me on a sweaty, sweltering day. It's weak stuff for sure but at 9.99 at TJM for a 3.4oz bottle I go heavy. Regularly 10 sprays and I've gone as heavy as 20 without offending anyone. It's a lovely fresh composition that it's a cheapie extraordinaire. Everyone around me loves the aura of it. Highly recommend.

foreignshores
foreignshores

@jochris . . .the original formulation had a wooden cap. The new one has the metallic plastic cap.

jochris
jochris

Hi…pls anyone, how would you know if you are buying a reformulated bottle?tnx

For those of you who want something close to VIW, the best idea I've found is to layer Laguna by Dali (the women's version) with St. Barts in vintage formulation. I have only tried one bottle of Laguna so I don't know if that was reformulated badly, if at all - keep that in mind.

Godinezmarco
Godinezmarco

So I bought into all the hype and comparison to VIW.... and let me tell you, the new reformulation of this cologne is shit! it lasts MAYBE 1 hour and smells very synthetic. I will be giving this away to someone I dont like.

I'm told Tommy bahama sold the rights to Five star fragrances... and since then, this cologne went downhill.

I feel like I set a match to $25...

DONT BUY THE REFORMULATION!

Androgynous
Androgynous

The opening is this sweet and salty lime concoction followed by a creamy dry down.. very unisex..this smells so familar, just cant put my finger on it. The dry down is slightly similar to Creed VIW.

Sierrasaurusrex

I just bought this today at TJ Maxx for $20 for a 3.4oz. It is AMAZING!!!! This smells like fresh limes and salt water. It's like your laying on a beach with a margarita on a sunny day. It's very unisex, I'm a woman and I love this so much. This will definitely be my go to summer scent.

Zazenh
Zazenh

I just bought this today and it's GORGEOUS! I think Heaven will smell like this. Light, fresh, warm, and tropical, AND an amazing value. You can't beat it for its price. Apply it liberally, as it's EDC, and you will not go wrong. You can wear this at work, casual, and a romantic night . This will be on my regular rotation this late spring and all summer.

Br'eauDeCologne
Br'eauDeCologne

Very good lime/salt/coconut concoction here that wears well in a linear way and has some unique notes. It's not a simple fragrance but don't look for much change in the notes while wearing it.

I really like the fact that it is subtle. It is not one of those screechy kinds of fresh things that nearly does you in while getting to whatever the dry-down is supposed to be. (An EDT, EDP, or otherwise "intense" version of this may frankly be overwhelming.)

Recommended for a casual and fun scent that won't break the bank.

iwhiffwaft
iwhiffwaft

Pretty strong for an EDC. I get 2-3 hours, then it sits pretty close to the skin. Also, its got some unique notes to it. I get coconut, tequila. Definitely, great for the heat of Texas. Can't complain here. Absolute steal for the price I got it. Its fairly complex for a summer cologne....also unique. I highly recommend for the 20 bucks I spent.

Ryanmmas26

This is easily 1 of my top 10 favorite scents ! A lot of people compare this to Virgin Island Water and I do get the similarities but there a lot of differences as well

Virgin Island Water is very unisex in my opinion but honestly is better suited for women than men whereas Tommy Bahama is better suited for men and has a slighly more sensual and mature vibe to it. Thats the vibe I get anyways

The best way to describe the differences in smell is Virgin Island water smells like a pina colada as it has a prominent coconut vibe. Set Sail St. Barts to me smells like a Margherita with a strong salty,lime note with vanilla in the background. I love both scents but I honestly like Set Sail St. Barts a lot better.

As great as the scent is,it is disappointing in the performance category.

If you spray like 10 sprays(You really have to douse yourself in this to get any type of performance) this has moderate projection but no matter how many sprays you go it still only lasts 2-4 hours (with the last 2 hours being barely noticable)

Also, this stuff is dirt cheap so even though you do have to go crazy on the trigger the pricepoint does make up for the excessive sprays

I want to score this much higher but because of the performance I just cant

Im going to rate this a 7 out of 10 !

GREAT scent, poor longevity and projection,but the price point is a slightly redeeming factor

Five Star reformulation review:

Looks like they took out nearly all the vanilla. And the palm leaf/musk is also largely absent. On the positive side, it's sort of like the opening just dissipates slowly over time, so if you didn't like the transition of the original then you might enjoy this one, especially if you use at least one or two more sprays than usual. Also, this formulation is a bit less crisp than the original, so you may feel it's a somewhat muddled composition. If I couldn't get the original then I'd want this one. However, once again I'm stuck with a reformulated bottle that isn't bad but I don't want - this is why a lot of people write up posts expressing anger with reformulations. We didn't get what we wanted (and what we had every reason to expect), spent money, and have a bottle sitting there reminding us of what this industry is like !

UPDATE: Longevity for this formulation, as with the original, is quite good, but the base in this one is on the weak side, so I'd suggest just spraying more until you figure out how much to use.

surferchris311
surferchris311

After reading all the reviews, I don't quite get all the comparisons to VIW. To my nose, VIW is more subtle, with a dominance of coconut. The best comparison I can make is to Coney Island from Bond No 9. The opening is definitely in your face margarita, but the dry down is warm, musky/limey vanilla replacing the caramel note of CI. After searching for a test spray and finding none, I just blind bought this at Marshalls for 25 bucks and boy am I glad I did. This just may be my signature scent for this summer.

briannyc94
briannyc94

This is a great summer fragrance for the price. I bought a 3.4 oz for $20 at my local ross.Performance is not the best as its a eau de cologne which is probably the reason it's always discounted but I mean it's still great for like going to the beach or the pool and just wearing casually in the summertime when you're just trying to have a good time.

Scent-8/10
Sillage-5/10
Longevity-5/10

fraggy_man
fraggy_man

Smells like Creeds Virgin island water with synthetic smell(in my openion) which I am not soo fond of.
Projection: 6/10
Longivity: 6/10
Compliments:not much

Final verdict: Best suited for vacation on the islands with a glass of coconut rum in your hand.

DangUsmellGud
DangUsmellGud

This cologne puts me on the breach every time I put it on. Love it. Only $11.00 at Walmart. Can't beat it. I've had females grab me by the arm and ask what cologne I was wearing.

Longevity 8/10
Silage 8/10
Projection 10/10

Mikeyd
Mikeyd

I'm sorry cheap and synthetic smell
Pleasant smell but not sure I would buy a bottle

ShiveringTimber
ShiveringTimber

Not to stir the pot too much on the comparison to Virgin Island Water, but I will say VIW is my favorite of the Creed fragrances and I do have a small bottle of it. Having said that, I buy a bottle, sometimes two bottles of this Tommy Bahama at Ross/TJ Maxx per year and end up saving the Virgin Island Water for special occassions. The scents are very similar. I won't even say Creed's eventually smells better. They both perform about the same. If I lived in a warmer area I would be more likely to try a bigger bottle of Virgin Island Water, but we're usually cool/cold for 6-7 months of the year. Just not enough time to invest in an expensive cologne just for warm weather. I would recommend nearly all males to have a bottle of this just for warm weather. It makes you feel like you're at the beach. It's also a nice one to blend with lighter scents. I've found that mixing it with Acqua de Gio makes for a very exotic, but clean and fresh smell.

dizzyfun
dizzyfun

I have never experienced Creed-VIW so cannot attest to the similarity.
This is a great warm weather fragrance and for the price you can't go wrong. I bought mine at Ross for $9. Yes it smells a bit like i spilled my margarita on myself but what's wrong with that. Refreshing clean scent, fresh lime, slight booze, slight salt. Great warm locale vacation scent.

miadam728
miadam728

I bought this scent last year to use everyday instead of my signature Virgin Island Water. It is not a bad scent but it is in no way Virgin Island Water! I like it's limy/cocktail notes but I feel it just fades into an OK skin scent. Over all it's a nice, clean and fair scent. Also I use this with a squirt of Lemon 1999 EDP, that brings it to a whole new level of citrus!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Meh. Aquatic, blue, somewhat sporty... doesn't last long. You could safely spill the bottle all over yourself. Very mass market, unimpressive. Not my thing at all.

Lime? Really? Okay, I guess there is some in this, but it doesn't strike me as a lime scent at all. Very synthetic.

Guerlain Homme is SO much better than this, with the same intended vibe.

I suspect that the Tommy Bahama line isn't for me at all.

mystery_grafx
mystery_grafx

In the summer you can smell clean and like a margarita, yea that is all I need. if it does not sound great to you try it out, it can be an everyday casual scent and inexpensive

butterbean
butterbean

ok. I tested this today.

First - this is NO Virgin Island Water. But its ok.

No coconut in this at all. This has a huge blast of musky aquatic and I swear there is cedar in this scent. It is a typical masculine aquatic cedary vibe to it.

I think its a nice scent and cheap for the money.

The lime is quite dominant with the watery aquatic and a huge dose of musk. There is a cedar note here - wait I said that already.

Anyhow - if you are looking for VIW and have your heart on VIW you won't think they are dupes or same scent.

I think its a nice scent for guys tho, and will save you a ton of money. I think for women - meh.

camposg

The opening has the most beautiful natural lime note you will ever experience in a fragrance BUT unfortunetly this dries down to a very synthetic really cheap smelling cologne. I bought it for the right price of about 20-25 dollars but could never see my self paying the 50 i think they once charged for this when it was first introduced. There is way, way better stuff out there this is more of a novelty bottle I would say and Im a huge Tommy bahama fan

halftwintowers
halftwintowers

If you're looking to blind buy a fragrance purely off of a written review...this is the fragrance. It has been perfectly described on this site: Realistic Lime Tequila note at the beginning, followed by a juicy guava and fresh salt (sea salt maybe). The vanilla comes towards the base and this is where you start to get the suntan lotion vibe. But for $20, I am very pleased with my purchase. I get 5 hours with 2 hours of projection.

krmarich
krmarich

Its summer and I have been thinking about this one for years. I have always hated aquatics and vowed never to sample one, much less purchase one. Not to mention that this come from Five Star Fragrances-notorious for its cheapness!

The bottle is attractive and my favorite shade of blue. I have some on my hand and have to say this is great stuff. I was expecting sugary syrup that had to be scrubbed. Its not the case here. Its discreet, yet knows how to have fun.

I get the margarita thing going on yet there is lots of coconut here. The lime is very refreshing and at no time is this to wet. It reminds me of suntan lotion without the greasiness associated with it. The salt is prominent too. That's a tough note to define yet this is the closest thing to an ocean breeze in a bottle. Guava? Not so sure on that one. I am getting a little jasmine in the heart. I get no calone, thankfully. I guess that makes it a post aquatic?

Granted, I am not your beach fan and this is about the closest I'll ever get to one. It's like putting your ear up to a conch shell to hear the roar of the surf. In this case, you can sniff your wrist and you are on vacation. I wouldn't wear this one past labor day. I will consider it in January when I need a blast of warmth.

blake123
blake123

A very tropical scent. For $20.00 for cant really go wrong if you're looking for something to wear on a hot summer day. It's as casual as you can get. I only use it in the summer. Perfect for a day out with friends and a few drinks. Being it is a cheap cologne, you can't really expect the performance to be outstanding. Thats why it comes in a big bottle so you can re-apply often! Spray on your clothes for more longevity.

jiujitsuhero
jiujitsuhero

i got this cologne at my nearest ross for 16 bucks. I have smelled VIW before and used a couple sprays from my friends collection. This can be a distant cousin to VIW. It does open up with a lime note and i do smell a little bit of salt, i think becuase of the Tequilla note. I applied this cologne today in the 85 degree heat here in LA and it still is working, not really projecting like it was in the first 2 hours. but it is working

Stings600
Stings600

Very true to other reviews here, this fragrance starts off as predominantly lime with undercurrents of tequila. I'm not sure how salt has a fragrance so I can't speak to that. There is a muskiness to this fragrance as it warms on the skin and dries down, and the lime fades, as is typical of citrus. There is no coconut in this as other reviewers have mentioned (may be confusing the musk notes) but one can layer with Yves Rocher Noix de Coco Malaisie ($12 from their website) if trying to mimic Creed's Virgin Island Water. See my review for Noix de Coco for information on that fragrance.
All in all, I am extremely pleased with this fragrance. It has enough masculinity in it to not be carried off by the heavy lime, and is anchored in peppery spice and musk that makes this cologne perfect for summer or a trip to the tropics.

phillip.jones.71868
phillip.jones.71868

Another uninspiring fragrance from Tommy Bahama. I just don't get it...I've tried several of the "Set Sail" line and they're cheap smelling. This is probably the one I like the least. The scent is very artificial with a bad alcohol base to start and the scent is like ozone in a bottle. Definitely not for me.

archivist
archivist

I layer this with FCUK Friction for Her to render this a little bit sweeter and a little more feminine - it has everything but the rum/coconut of Virgin Island Water and I find the layered combo outstanding. I'm going to try layering it with Fancy Nights next - it needs a little softness in the base for me. I like laying masculines over feminines.

I acquired it as a newbie and at the time my sensitivity was high, and because the top notes bothered me, I swapped it off. I saw the low prices recently and decided to give it another shot, and I'm glad I did. It just smells great, and if the top notes are too strong for you just use a blow dryer on a cold setting and get to the drydown quickly. The only thing I think some might not like is the musk aroma chemical (s) used. Otherwise, it's a great idea that is done as well as one can expect relative to what such companies spend on ingredients these days. In particular I like how vanilla and galbanum are used here, that is, in a subtle yet detectable way.

muzzbait
muzzbait

as others have said, VIW without the coconut, which makes it better. there's an interesting 'mid period' where it tones down a lot...projection is moderate and it's an all-round nice 'fume...

Layzie
Layzie

The opening of Set Sail St. Barts is lovely. You get a pleasant lime, tequila, beach vibe. It smells like a margarita party! Let the scent linger a bit, and you'll be reminded of the ocean shore or a beach vacation. I'm surprised at how much it resembles Virgin Island Water, minus the coconut with more salt. I do admit that I'm glad it doesn't project well because there is a sharpness in the middle that can bother me on occassion. The dry-down has a warm vanilla that adds a bit more to the "mmmmm" factor.

My friend, Val, loves the bottle design. "How cool is that?!" were her exact words. It fits perfecly in your hand and resembles a cool blue sail.

I just noticed the palm leaf listed in the the notes...how much more beach vacation can you get? It's a great summer fragrance that leaves you feeling refreshed. My girlfriend loves it and wears it more than I. At $15 for 50 mL, this was a steal!

benkim
benkim

I found Creed's VIW to be too coconut-ty, so I don't really go for it because I don't really enjoy the coconut in VIW.
This does have similar vibe to VIW, the lime just screams out with an undertone of coconut (maybe because of vanilla and martini I don't know).

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

I bought this before I had Creed's delightful Virgin Island Water. This fragrance is similar in its lime and coconut base. The Creed is just many times better and I find myself almost never reaching for this curved bottle. If I didn't love smelling like a piña colada, I would have stopped at Set Sail and been plenty happy as it is extremely cheap at your neighborhood discounter. This fragrance lacks that "intoxicating" boosey note that is so prevalent in VIW. For that it garners only a like.

My Score: 7.5

gabe828
gabe828

Party in a bottle. Amazing stuff for summer only. You can't go wrong with this and for the price? Must buy!

Norgirl
Norgirl

I just had to have this looking at the note . And the fact that its compared to Creed Virgin Island Water :)
An it is very nice , The lime realy stands out in this , and its just what i wanted tangy juicy and fresh , Guave and tequila mm yes its just like a Margarita drink , and that i love , There is also a serten breazy feal to it, like crisp are coming in from the sea mixing with sligth hints of fruits and the Margarita your sipping at you balcony, This is also musky and soapy at times . It seams to change on my skin in warm weather , First time i tryed it i was a bit cold and the weather chilly, Today when its warm and nice its more tropical and juicy . Less masculin more limy.
This one does not last long a few hours on my skin , but add it so it touches the clothes aswell and it last a little longer. This i shure will enjoy although its listed for men.
Next now will be to find the Female version aswell . Juicy lime come to me

Nick M
Nick M

I didn't think this one would be for me based on the notes and when I sprayed it on the card that lime mixed with the salt was a bit too pungent. I tried it again a week later, putting it on my skin this time and bang -- so delicious! The lime smells amazing in the heat and you can't beat the price.

Side note: I really dislike vanilla and I don't detect it at all; maybe it's perfectly blended where my nose doesn't notice it.

Ryanmmas26

When I tried this it really surprised me. I bought this just as a cheap alternative to Virgin Island Water and to have a nice tropical scent for vacation use but after 1st applying this I fell in love. Yes, this is similar to VIW but to me its more masculine,deep,appealing and to be honest with you I like this even better than VIW. Virgin Island however to me though is more natural smelling but I still enjoy this more because VIW is nice but too feminine

With this when 1st spraying you get a well done lime note with the tequilla note in the background that smooths this scent out. Then when it dries down it smells pretty much the same to me but it becomes even more smooth with the vanilla and more masculine with the musk. Its a very relaxing and soothing scent to me and has done very well as far as compliments go. Id even go as far as saying this deffinitly in my top 5 favorite scents.

Projection is ok with this. You will deffinitly be able to smell this but it only jumps off of you maybe a 2 feet for the first 2 hours and then becomes a skin scent for the following 2 hours.

Longevity on this is spotty and is sadly only 2-4 hours :(

As a final rating id give this a solid 7. On scent alone id give it a 9 but since it lacks longevity,projection and only wearable in the summer months it really holds this fragrance back.

All in all though a great,cheap alternative to VIW and just an amazing, great smelling fragrance !

One of the very few frags ill give a 9 out of 10 !

MonaVieBill
MonaVieBill

Waaaaayyyy too sickly sweet for me.
Gave it a try.

Redbeard
Redbeard

At first, this is a very stealthy scent, with nothing more than a trace of coconut on a backdrop of the sunbleached varnished wood from Tommy Bahama's original fragrance. It slowly starts to get orangey and just a bit more spicy, retaining the wood underneath but in a remarkably airy way; it makes me imagine TB original if it had been done by Jean-Claude Ellena in his trademark transparent style. The orange peel here is not artifically sweetened, and has the same sharp soapiness to it as their Very Cool for Men, thought not as much. Toward the base, the orange evolves more into lime/coconut/booze, but before it does so, it puts other inexpensive orange scents like Clinique Happy to shame. It's not going to get as many points for uniqueness as Very Cool, but its clean, casual, non-sweet tropical vibe is nice enough. Far into the base, though, it devolves a bit into suntan lotion.

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

This is an amazing fragrance. The bottle is very nice as well. The initial spray is very boozy then it settles down into a fresh fruity scent. Then it develops into a hint of coconut with citrus bright notes. This all happens within about 45 minutes. I really like this one. It lasted about 4 hours before reapply. Similar to Virgin Island water when the coconut comes through. This is summer time in a bottle. I have to have this unique cologne because it is the best summer scent longevity could be longer.

Love&Happiness
Love&Happiness

The quintessence of a scent for summer. Lime and tequila on top along with sweet guava and vanilla. Tart, sweet & tropical. It's a great scent, all that it needs to be.

McDreamy
McDreamy

Smells good at first (limey), but even better after 10+ minutes. It's not extremely strong, so I use a bit more of this than some other colognes. But even then it's not overpowering.

Seems to have low to average sillage, but up close the ladies like it. "Mmmm, you smell good today! Is that new?" is the usual comment if I am close enough.

To those who are afraid it might smell like a cheap beach bar: I can't really smell any "tequila," but I do notice the lime at first, then it becomes more of a semi-tropical, pleasant beachy scent.

Nice for daily wear or on a date. Heck, nice for anytime or anywhere. May have to reapply mid-afternoon.

One of my Top 5 favorites. I'd give it a rating of 8.33 out of 10.

seanscented
seanscented

TB St.Barts It's kinda unique summer scent.

kenney77
kenney77

Very sexy

roll4fun
roll4fun

Just on a recent lark in a Marshalls store, I tested an already opened SSSB bottle on my inner arm. Knowing in advance of its EDC status, I tripled down on the spray.
Walking outside on this sunny pleasant 75 degree day north of Mason - Dixon line, I detect definite pleasing lime notes with a hint of some salty aquatic notes.
Most of the next 2 hours varying between driving in air conditioned car, and a mixed indoor/outdoor environment, I encounter a rather interesting drydown.Somewhere after 15 minutes, I get the coconut notes. (Could be the mix of the guava/vanile notes). There seems to be a tug a war battle between the lime and coconut for the next 2 hours in that one note is evident, but never really the other. Projection never really comes on strong, more like moderately soft. By the end of 2 hours, its workout time followed by shower for me.
While scent is basically pleasant, there is no compelling reason for me to buy. If I wanted to smell like a coconut, I'd almost just as soon let suntan lotion do the trick. OTOH, frag does come in a neat looking bottle. I could see someone having bottle in a prominent spot, and spritzing oneself just to start out the day right.

fresh_scents

Update: Both longevity and projection are short lived unless you apply heavy sprays and the juice makes contact with your clothing.

fresh_scents

The favorable reviews of others are always met with much skepticism, because fragrance smells are very personal. I bought this one today, opened it in the car and sprayed it on my arm. That strong lime opening was off putting, but I happened to catch a whiff 10 minutes later and said wow! The sweetness of the coconut came through, and I find it to be quite enjoyable. I'm even tempted to try the non-alcoholic beverage that it favors. $20 for 100mls wasn't a mistake after all.

I don't know what the Creed version smells like but I'm satisfied with Set Sail St. Barts.

sergified
sergified

I never knew I would love smelling like a margarita. This scent is so fun I'm glad I made the blind buy. It made me want to drink. That could be dangerous.

LuxWaltz
LuxWaltz

I saw this at Perfumania for $50 but didn't make a purchase. Went to Ross and saw it for $20!!! Bought it, tried it on and... it has a very strong opening (I'm actually not too fond of the opening). But once this cologne dries down a little, it will start to smell really sexy. I like it lol.. Just try not to spray it on your clothes because it won't have the same effect.
This cologne works best on hot 'sweaty' days/nights; meaning if you're going on a date and maybe a little something extra later... .. ;)

By the way, for an EDC, it's has a pretty good longevity and sillage. It's even better than some of the other EDTs that I own.

Art2112
Art2112

Excellent cologne although at first I wasn't sure if I'd like it...the lime and salt were really strong but only for a few moments...then it began to change into blends of other things...reminds me of the beach and the ocean. It's very good overall . Rating 7 out of 10

esteban747
esteban747

The opening is absolute lime, it screams summer all the way. And after a few seconds it becomes a more "clean" or less harsh lime scent.
The salt (or whatever is that makes it smell like salt) starts to appear and keeps bringing the idea of summer.
The vanilla stays in the background giving just little peeks of sweetnes.
I'm surprised about the longevity of the lime, unlike most citrus fragrances, this one stays for quite a while, and I adore that.

evilspin
evilspin

This is almost identical to the womens version. But the womens version is more brighter/citrus without the coconut/guava back scents. Either way i find both very unisex. some ppl say this & the womens is too synthetic or common or dont like it on their skin, but dont forget citrus or aquatic scents are not as appealing smelling it on oneself. It smells better & more fresh to the people around you and not so cloy or synthetic.

eshauls11
eshauls11

tropical and really nice for the heat. still manages to be fairly strong even though it's an EDC. smells like lime and coconut dripping with expensive tequila. not overly alcoholic though. as it dries down it gets to be very creamy which is absolutely beautiful. smells like what i imagine $10,000 tanning oil smells like. perfect for hot weather.

Ups925
Ups925

Amazing tropical fragrance. To me, it smelled like toasted coconuts with lime accents. Definitely reminds me of being in the Caribbean, and call me crazy, but I smelled a bit of sun tan lotion in it. I was surprised how thick this fragrance smelled, as I was not expecting a gourmand type fragrance at all. The vanilla in this is wonderful though, and from first spray I couldnt stop smelling my arm for the next 2 hours. The scent remained, but stayed Very close to my skin.

Winter Breeze
Winter Breeze

People sometimes ask me what's the dry down like on something like this. It starts of with a sharp lime tequila & salt then I get a soft buttery sun cream in a breeze of fresh air, It's a nice scent for the money. You can bath in this stuff and not offend anybody.

Set Sail St. Barts
Overall a nice tropical sexy fresh scent!

6.5/10

Jimmy Carter
Jimmy Carter

My first experience with this scent was the soap-on-a-rope version that I fittingly purchased in Hawaii. It had a fresh, creamy, lime scent that emanated throughout the entirety of my bathroom. When I finally found out that there was an EDT version, I had to have it--after all, soap-on-a-rope only lasts so long, both chemically on your skin and physically on the rope.

Unfortunately, I found the understated quality of the soap to be completely absent in the spray version. The spray has a very alcoholic overtone, and I'm not talking about the tequila. It just smells synthetic rather than soothing; the cologne punctuates the artificiality of the scent while the soap smelled very smooth.

That aside, the smell is still enticing to my senses, and frankly it has a marvelous drydown that is betrayed by its bitter opening. Though it may be too geared towards dry weather, I disagree that this is a novelty frag suited only for the beachside like some of its more vicious detractors may claim. If you live in a warmer clime like I do, then this is a year-round option as far as I'm concerned.

Nirvalica
Nirvalica

At first there is a strong lime note, but I'm getting A LOT of coconut in this. I'm just surprised its not listed as a note. Maybe it's the lime and vanilla combination, but it smells like I just rubbed shredded coconut up and down my arm. Smells very nice, but I don't see using it outside of summer or some other special occasion.

While I've never smelled Virgin Island Water, this scent matches up more with the top three notes in the Creed than it's own. Lots of coconut and lime with some vanilla and salt.

This is an EDC, but the longevity is surprisingly good. Better than many EDTs I have. The sillage is what is affected most but the lower concentration. It is moderate to heavy within the first hour, then drops down to moderate for the next hour or so, at which point it settles down to a soft skin scent.

aromaphile
aromaphile

See reviews below and above.

Is really all I would have to say if you are in the mood to read a lot. However, I suppose my short and sweet two sense should be added about this scent.

To me, this a very affordable, pleasant, sweet, salty, boozy lime with a vanilla-ish dry-down. My body chemistry drinks this stuff in and it remains relatively close to the skin throughout. However, it still manages to yield compliments. Drinks up!

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Smells wonderful at this price point. Absolutely one of just a small handful of summer/spring frags I will wear. Never smelled VIW but if it smells anything like this, that is a compliment. Very crisp, clean, just get me in some swim trunks and lets get a frozen drink in my hand ASAP type of fragrance. Set sail!

kambelzful
kambelzful

I have tried this scent in stores quite a few times and I really like this scent a lot, but the price at around $30-$40 even in bargain stores, I find too steep. First off, it's an eau de Cologne, so it does not have great projection or longevity.

Secondly, the lime note is very nice and natural smelling, but the tequila is very synthetic and the fragrance gets a strange sour salty but sweet all at the same time vibe towards the end. I could get around that, if this was really cheap, but it's not.

I really enjoy Virgin Island Water, Acqua Di Gio & Royall Lyme for a lime based fragrance, and will probably stick with those for my lime fixes. But who knows? I might try it again and really like it or ask for it as a gift sometime.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Summer fragrances are a pain because the great ones (Eau Sauvage, Virgin Island Water) lack mobility beyond June, July, and August, and simply fall flat once colder temps set in. Their strict seasonal nature leaves something to be desired. This issue varies depending on where you live, of course. My being in Connecticut means even in May, there's brisk days where all-citrus concoctions don't really work very well. I tend to ignore the whole "summer fragrance" idea and just make do with the lightest thing in my existing collection.

Maybe it's the holiday season or something, but I happened to see this amazing deal on Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts, and decided what the heck, you only live once! May as well set the summer up ahead of time. I'm glad I did - this is a really nice fragrance. I'm not going to compare it to anything, that's been done enough below me. I will say that if you like lemon and lime notes that smell crisp and natural, with their intended sweetness intact, this fragrance will not disappoint. I was hoping for a little coconut in the composition, but got a touch of vanilla instead, which holds the sourness of Margarita Mix at bay. The "salty tequila" feeling has decent longevity, perhaps about four hours, and never becomes unbalanced or cheap.

The vanilla holds a smooth creaminess in the far drydown, with hints of citrus still holding on. And let me say this: excellent packaging. The plastic cap is a little flimsy, but the little rope around it is cute, and the heavy glass bottle is a pretty color, and feels expensive in hand. All things considered, this is a really, really, really nice little summer citrusy-fresh composition that plays with the salty-booze cliche without becoming trite and nonsensical. Did I mention this is unisex? Two thumbs up!

Labaloo
Labaloo

I don't think I could say anything that hasn't already been said: it truly smells like you've just stepped away from a beach party after having a margarita or two spilled on you. Invigorating, transparent scent made up totally of head and heart-notes- fun... and you end up smelling mischievous- but the places/events to wear this are limited. Longevity was about 4-5 hours tops on me.

lister
lister

I mostly buy scents with citrus notes.
I always wanted to buy TB St Barts ,was waiting for a good deal.Anyway, yes,yes,yes- it does have lemon-lime notes.In some way it gives aquatic waves and a tiny bit of musk.Simple,but still gorgeous.As I say- beauty is in simplicity....Afterall it gives a feeling of freshness and energy,I would recommend this cologne to energetic young guys.Reasonable price and good longetivity.I would have named this scent- Tommy Bahama Set Sail Sport.
It is very close to Dune by CD,in a harsh way.

camposg

Just blind bought this based on reviews and i am disapointed. I would only wear it on a beach. Everything they say is true. Tequila, salt, the water etc...but? It's cheap. A novelty cologne

cory9207
cory9207

This was definitely a spring (...break with drunken college kids)/summer scent meant for daytime use. Longevity was alright on me (6 hours or so), but I have to say that I never recall receiving a compliment on this scent. If I had, I'd advise that the woman complimenting me must've enjoyed her tequila. Take that as good or bad, gentlemen. This fragrance was alright when I was out on a boat in Lake Havasu or in a dive bar near the beach, but not so much inland. I probably won't be purchasing this again.

stayclose
stayclose

The notes which stand out for me the most are lime, margarita, and what I would describe as a blue note as oposed to the green noted above anyway this is how I feel when I wear this. It does give me a vacation or sailor type feeling and like having one of maryanns coconut cream pie.

Bassplant
Bassplant

Haha! Wow, what a bizarre fragrance. Let's begin.

Does it smell like a margarita? Well, yes it does. Even with salt. It's somehow hilarious. It's a nice enough scent, in that it's not offensive (after the opening sour blast) and can be enjoyable for a while. But let's face it, it's not a fragrance that will be common wear. I consider it more of a novelty fragrance, good for a margarita party or boat ride or going to grab some mexican food one evening....

However, it's not right for the board room or your office or a romantic night out/in or a club.... I know people often compare this to Virgin Island Water by Creed but I don't really get the close comparison. More of a distant cousin, I would say. Regardless, it would be a really weird fragrance to wear in most daily situations. :)

Bottom line, it's super cheap. And it's a fun/strange fragrance that indeed makes you smell like a giant margarita walking around. Everyone's dream... So if that appeals to you from time to time, like that crazy margarita mixer your neighbor is throwing, then get it! What can you lose? 10 bucks on Ebay?

s2164059
s2164059

Great for on the boat. Main reason I am writing today is that I thought this stuff had very poor longevity. I couldn't smell it on my skin even an hour later. Turns out others still could...even at a BBQ later in the evening! This happens to me from time to time with the odd juice here and there...

Nordic_Saab95
Nordic_Saab95

Holy tequila Batman! Wow... Opening is pretty intense, but after about an hour, blends nicely. I litterally smelled this, then opened my bottle of Pátron, and was pretty spot on.
Dries down nicely. 8/10

Buysblind
Buysblind

Tequila, lime, and guava...The tequila's not in your face with any kind of intense booziness, but you'll pick up on the agave note. Basically, Set Sail St. Barts is a sweet, tropical fruit type of fragrance completely appropriate for warm summer days and time spent by the beach. This is a nice scent. There's none of the scratchy synthetic quality you may expect from a 'fresh' fragrance at this price. It won't cause a headache and doesn't hit any rough spots. That said, the longevity is only about 3 hours. Projection is average. This would be a great gift for a teenager, or something you could just pick up on the fly if your in the mood to switch things up for a while.

Never pay full retail for this. You can find it easily for $25 or less.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

A very spicy, fruity scent. It smells good, very spicy on opening then it fades away in 20-30 minutes to almost nothing. I will not buy this again because even though it smells decent, there are better, cheaper scents out there (nautica blue) that I'd rather wear.

GabrielG
GabrielG

Bought this one blind, very pleasing, salt and green notes, for the money, its very good :D

Summer only.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

A nice refreshing smell! Lots of lime, a titch of agave, the dry down is sweet lime musk. I think on a very hot summer day I'd have this in the frig ready to spritz and feel re-energized. It smells pretty fantastic on my husband. I tried it and it's not the same on me so I'll leave his bottle alone. The bottle is terrific and 3.4 ounces for 19.99 is a bargain.

gavingrieves
gavingrieves

JUST GOT MY BOTTLE OF THIS TODAY AND WAS EXCITED TO TRY IT HAVING READ REVIEW OF IT SMELLING LIKE CREED VIRGIN ISLAND WATER, I HAVE HAD CREED BEFORE ALTHOUGHT THIS IS A FANTASTIC SCENT IT DOES NOT HOWEVER SMELL LIKE CREED VIRGIN ISLAND WATER

Aspendina
Aspendina

I have been wanting Creed Virgin Island Water but with so many people saying this smells like it and the fact that Creed is so expensive I will probably never get to try it. I came across this tonight at Tj Maxx for only $19 and scooped it up so fast. I don't know what Creed smells like but I can happily say I am taking Creed off my wish list as this stuff (even though its for men) is AMAZING. At first I was scared thinking it will be a strong heavy over powering mens fragrance, but its actually kinda light, very limey and tropical with a coconut dry down, its so wonderful I am so happy right now. :-)

Edit: I actually am gonna return this, I do like it alot but I really am wanting something with more coconut, so I am just gonna get the SJP NYC Pure Crush, I have tried that and it smells wonderful.

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

A nice citrus start, then a mellow fade. It does not seem to have the staying power of Tommy B's TB Men. TB men stays around nicely with the pepper and smoke, but St Bart fades below the horizon much too quickly for me. A nice fresh scent, but like a beautiful tropical day, too soon a memory.

martinweibye
martinweibye

Very sexy scent! Opens up with lots of fresh peeled lime and a hint of tequila in the background, when it dries down the lime continues to smell like fresh fruit and a hint og sweetnes from the vanilla shows. Great price for a great scent, longivity and projection not that good tough

hollyms
hollyms

I have heard men say they prefer the perfume version of this, and I've heard women say they prefer the cologne. I've smelled both, and as a woman - I'd much rather wear the men's version. It has much more fruit, more sweetness, and heck it even has the vanilla that we love. The women's, on the other hand, has a very strong musk and is more toned-down and mature.

Redpula
Redpula

Ok, I just bought a 100ml from ebay $23 from a won bid. i have never had a skin test of this frag coz its not available in stores here. When I got the bottle, I immediately sprayed it in my wrist pulse. I sniff seconds after I sprayed it.
It is a mild fresh fragrance filled with pure pleasure lemon with a hint of liquor. I thought oh I guess this is Malibu Rum but its tequila as stated above. I gave it a wait for an hour and I smell coconut, lemon and liquor still there. All in all it is a wonderful summer scent but unfortunately, like using Victoria Secrets and BBW colognes, the scent easily get close to my skin.
Sillage and Longevity is my issue in this frag. The scent is very good, the fusion of notes are wonderful and refined. It could have been better. In less than 3 hours, I can hardly smell this frag. It is even weaker IMO compared with Emporio Armani White for Him but smelled better. The good thing aside from a great scent is that I bought it cheap. Buy it only if you find the price lower than its usual.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

The lime is nice, but fades pretty quickly through faint clairol perm smell to faint suntan cream lotion. Can't wear this one!

Grottola
Grottola

Damn! Tropical fruit bonanza!

Set Sail St. Barts for Men is a super-sweet, sugary lime fragrance. Like, lime candy or Key Lime Pie. The lime just keeps going until the end, with a creamy (albeit faint) base of coconut underneath and a tequila smell. There's also a smooth amber kinda note (I'm guessing it's the Blue Agave) that rises to the surface toward the end. For its entire life, this fragrance is STRONG, but strangely enough the longevity isn't more than a couple hours. While it lasts, though, Set Sail St. Barts is a party in the tropics.

I would recommend this one over Virgin Island Water by Creed, simply because it's more about lime than coconut. Oh, and it's $200 dollars cheaper, too. However, if you don't like lime or sugary-sweet citrus, then I would not recommend this. And DO NOT spray this on if you have a headache. It will make your headache worse.

All in all, I'll probably be wearing this a good bit during the summer. Awesome bottle, too.

Sillysimon
Sillysimon

i had a bit higher expectationsvfor this. Admittedly, i do like it. I usually dont care about summer or winter scents but this is definently a summer scent. I have never been to the tropics but i keep buying all the Tommy Bahama scents. Up until a year ago i was all about bright citrus scents like Candies and Izod. If i had found this then i would have probiably cashed off a bottle in a month. But my taste has evolved to more musky and woodsy scents. I will definently keep this one around for special occasions thought.

Interesting enough, i also have the womens version (my wife got the big swap box and i liked it enough i traded one mine for it I liked it so much) and to b honest, I much perfer it to the mens. It smells a little less bright and more full bodied.

ausamamira
ausamamira

I wear it today and i get compliments everywhere! the strange thing that i find it very ordinary and synthetic! i dont know what people smell in it that makes them like it? may be i should let somebody wear it and find out my self :) ....

deadenglish
deadenglish

I got the citrus and tequila in the beginning, after about an hour its MOSTLY tequila and vanilla. Its very strong for an EDC and its usually in the 20 dollar range so i would recommend picking up a bottle from the tommy bahama house. Ive heard complaints over the bottle being a bit awkward, but i dont find that to be the case, I dont know if its cause i have large hands or what. but it sprays fine for me.

omega_69
omega_69

Picked this one up at Ross for $20.

Upon the first spray, I got citrus cleaner, lemon candy, and a very slight memory of Dunhill Desire Blue. Almost immediately after it started to calm down, the tequila hit me, which I loved; it didn't last too long on me, though. The dry-down reminded me of Claiborne's original Curve scent. Not bad, just not for me (anymore, that is). I tend to sweeten colognes in a major way, and SSSB is no exception.

I'll probably finish up the bottle, but I don't think I'll purchase this again.

As a side note, I spritzed a bit of this into some unscented moisturizer and put it on my forearms - it smelled like the Yankee Candle clean cotton car jar. Nice to know if I ever want to smell like a dryer sheet or my t-shirt drawer!

BRH
BRH

I really love Tommy Bahama's Very Cool, but I didn't care for St. Barts at all. I don't really like liquor type smells & the tequila note in this one is very strong. I had hoped it would be dominated by the fruity lime smell with the tequila not being that noticeable, but it's just the opposite. I wore it to work the day I bought it & had to go scrub it off. It literally smelled like I'd been in a bar & someone spilled liquor all over me (embarrassing).

I guess it might work on a tropical vacation, but I would not recommend it for wearing to work. On the other hand, I absolutely love T. Bahama's Very Cool fragrance. It's a wonderful mixture of sweet oranges & ginger. (much more versatile & less abrasive than this one, & by far my favorite T. Bahama fragrance).

guest_beach girl
guest_beach girl

Umm...Gypsy Parfumista, Like your review, however St Barts is not in the Virgin Islands.

I must admit: I am a sucker for a cute bottle and a "concept", and the idea of sailing away has always appealed to me. And the St. Barts? Oh yeah! This is not how I os-magine the Virgin Islands, but then I'm not Tommy Bahama...besides, I got a very big bottle for a song and am really quite fond of it!!

This citrus scent is more on the green limey end of the spectrum, and as we all know lime and tequila are very much inseperable. The tequila note here is aromatic, (like aged agave itself) but not too boozy. As the bite of lime and vapors of tequila subside, this becomes green, almost vegetal and sweet-creamy from the guava. The salt adds a dry freshness to the greens and fruit. I can see how this could make you feel like you are kicking it at the beach, doing tequila shooters and eating fresh tropical fruits under shady palm tree as the salt breezes blows in from the ocean. The drydown is a warm, sweet green with some white muskiness. Very nice, and very different...SSSB is nothing stupendous, but I really like it!

Sillage: not bad
Longevity: decent
Overall: 3.75/5

Not quite green, fruity, gourmand or overtly citrus; SSSB is very appealing to me (more than TB or Very Cool) and I wear this when I want to sport a little something relaxed and different. Not for formal occasions or anything, it is nice for casual fun times and maybe even a casual date. This is fun and freeing...

Minity Meo
Minity Meo

Tequila in a bottle with a vanilla touch. Yes the fragrance is very citrus and licorice the tequila married perfectly with lime and vanilla.

I know right the way this is not for me because Set Sail St. Barts has a harsh opening note of lemon/lime combo that smells more like a household cleaner than margarita drink. The guava is unusual in men fragrances, but the scent becomes sweet salty fruity and I can't smell like guava at all. It's just mixed fruity. The base isn't spectacular either with just clean light and sweet musk. I don't exactly smell vanilla nor anything leafy green. Yup, it's just another musky dry down and it's kinda dense and heavy too.

So SSSB is not what I was hoping for. Of course, it has its own uniqueness, but the opening is harsh enough to ruin it for me. At this $20 bargain price, I still have no desire to keep it in my collection. Bon Voyage St. Barts! I am going to sail to other flankers. Next stop, Set Sail Martinique.

Mr. Da-veed
Mr. Da-veed

I wear a lot of different colognes and never really get compliments, but I bought this at Ross for $20 and what a great buy it was! I love the way it smells. It is a very unique and charismatic scent and I have actually got two separate complements on it from complete strangers and that never happens! It seems to work especially well in hot weather. My new favorite cologne!

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

very fresh citrus..i smell lil coconut on the side in this. salt and lime reminds me of margarita at the beach. very freshing, and its good on hot summer days, not overpowering, just right..i feel like i want to wear this on my summer vacation this year...

Cool Breeze 31
Cool Breeze 31

This a great summer fragrance that can be worn everyday, it is especially great on very hot days or even to the beach. The scent of lime comes through very strong, and Tequila and salt as well. When I wear this the first impression I get is being on the beach of a tropical or exotic Island with the sand against my bare feet with the smell of the saltwater and ocean breeze gently blowing, and the smell of the islands green foliage. A very easy fragrance to wear, relaxing as well. The fragrance also last quite along time on my skin. If your looking for a great summer fragrance this is the one, nothing embodies summertime more then Set Sail St. Barts

unstickytape
unstickytape

this was a blind impulse buy. the notes looked interesting. this is a must have for any guy. the notes blend together perfectly with a soft entrance of tequila and a nice lime that flows for hours. easily my favourite.

flem
flem

Everything good that's ever been said about this fragrance is probably true.

It's manly, beachy, sweet, strong, and irresistible. Probably in my top 5. It just fits the category that it's going for so well.

It's such a complicated smelling scent for it to be a summer, beach cologne. It is also hard to believe there is no coconut involved in this. I swear I can smell it mixed in perfectly with the lime. You can almost smell the ocean water and sand, as if you are actually lounging on the coast of the Caribbean.

Spray it on yourself in a store sometime, you will not be disappointed.

andy
andy

this is a good conventional scent, which starts with citrus and spices up and drys down well. although the citrus is for younger people, this scent has lots of notes and a more sophisticated feel which makes it good for anything

Bluenova
Bluenova

I love this fragrance , after reading all the reviews about it . I must say that is has a very nice island feel to it.. almost like an ocean breeze , next comes the citrus note and the dry down is very sensual , very masculine and highly recommended

MR.ClickClick
MR.ClickClick

As soon as I smelt this I immediately pictured myself in the Bahamas sitting at an outside bar overlooking the ocean. I noticed after wearing this throughout the day, MiguelHarris hit the nail on the head about the basenotes. It turned into a heavy aroma that felt like the perfect vacation day was coming to an end and the sun was setting. It's such a tropical scent and makes me smile! I give it a 8/10!

drummerboy1986

It smells sexy.....when you're not trying to be

MiguelHarris
MiguelHarris

This one is my favorite it's very classy and demands attention. Out of all the Tommy Bahama(men)fragrances this one is special cause it captures the very essence of the Bahama Islands and why people around the world like to go there. The bottle embodies the seas of the Bahamas with the deep blue color and vapors and the rope around the top and palm tree on back gives it a Caribbean feel. The opening is fresh and exotic like a glass of tequila with a twist of lime, the middle is grassy and salty reminds of the palm trees and the smell of the ocean waters, the base is warm and relaxing as watching sunset while having a cigar and a fine glass of wine. it's very fun and sensual and it's like a piece of the Bahamas you can take with you.

albania9diadem
albania9diadem

I agree with sharyssa, the lime is dominate, not a sharp citrus note but very pleasant. I like it very much and its quite long lasting.

sharyssa
sharyssa

the lime is dominant in this fragrance and I do like it alot it smells better than the womens tommy bahama fragrances.

Malegria
Malegria

Very lively, yet masculine.I got it for my teenage son, but now I am thinking even my husband could wear it without appearing childish.There is enough musk to call it even sensual! Lime feels very good and subtle though.

drummerboy1986

love love love this fragrance