Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Black Rose Oud Trish McEvoy for women and men

Black Rose Oud Trish McEvoy for women and men
dislike

oud

Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. Black Rose Oud was launched in 2011. Top notes are raspberry leaf, litchi, osmanthus, saffron and black pepper; middle notes are black rose, papyrus, orchid, incense, bulgarian rose, geranium, cypriol oil or nagarmotha and cumin; base notes are agarwood (oud), sandalwood, musk, patchouli, madagascar vanilla, cedar and benzoin.

Raspberry Leaf Litchi Osmanthus Saffron Black Pepper

Black Rose Papyrus Orchid Incense Bulgarian Rose Geranium Cypriol Oil or Nagarmotha Cumin

Agarwood (Oud) Sandalwood Musk Patchouli Madagascar Vanilla Cedar Benzoin

Rose Oud

Black Rose Oud Fragrance Reviews

christianne1
christianne1

Such a beautiful, wearable rose oud...leans feminine for sure but still remains unisex. I was very pleasantly surprised by this and it is probably my second favorite rose/oud (with Kilian being at the top of the rose/oud food chain in my opinion). Black Rose Oud is just so lovely and just exotic enough but not so much that you will frighten people who are not used to Middle Eastern type scents. It is more mainstream without being TOO mainstream. Such a perfect combination and more of a crowd pleaser when it comes to oud.

I know rose/oud gets a lot of flack, people say they are sick of oud combos or whatever but I am a huge fan of it. Pretty much every ingredient and combo has existed for many more years than rose/oud (hello jasmine and citrus) but you never hear anyone say they are sick of jasmine, bergamot or vetiver. I feel the same about rose and oud. I love trying different takes on it and pretty much can't get enough. I like seeing someone like Trish McEvoy put out a fragrance like this because it will probably open up many more to niche and indie fragrances. Most "normal" people who buy perfume have never even heard of oud although those of us in this community may be tired of it.

Black Rose Oud is a beautiful fragrance regardless of the ingredients or name on the bottle. It is very enjoyable to wear so please don't be scared away by the brand or the supposed "tired" rose oud combo because you will miss out on a wonderful treat.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

After discovering the Tom Ford Oud cologne that the guy was wearing last night at the Wifi spot - I decided to see if there were other Ouds that I would like.

I tried Trish McEvoy's Rose Oud today- and it is a great deep scent fragrance. I keep thinking that this is very similar to Eau du Soi - because it is very deep, earthy, and strong.

This wears a LONG time. I love that. The length a fragrance wears is often paramount in my selection process. This has been on now over 8 hours - and still going strong.

I really like this smell, although it seems like this would be better for cooler days - or possibly a winter fragrance - or on cool evenings. I don't see wearing this when it is over 95 degrees in the heat of the summer. I feel that it would be WAYYYY too much!

Great though in cooler weather!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I think I may have had the same experience as reviewer Spikekuji. Beautiful intense rose note upon first spray, quickly dried down to very dry woody Oud note (not warm and rich, not oily or rubbery, not spicy, just dryyyyyy). Then it quickly became sharp and synthetic smelling...an unpleasant end to what seemed like an interesting scent at the start.

Update: a couple hours after the drydown, the base of this fragrance did warm up and become soft and woody. The sharpness is gone. It's really wonderful in this state!! It's laying very close to the skin, though. I would like big sillage in this stage because the warm, dry, woody notes are best here!

Spikekuji
Spikekuji

When this first hit my nose, my brain screamed "Yes!". It was bam! - black roses. It felt dangerous and sexy. But that faded within minutes to what I surmise is the oud note. When I received this sample at the Trish McEvoy counter, there was a "Precious Oud" vial that upon smelling I thought was a straight-up oily oud. I thought that would be the oud note in "Black Rose Oud". Alas, it is not.

On me, the oud/woodsy drydown smelled really synthetic. It didn't have what I perceived as oily, animal note. Nor did it have a warm woody note or a richer resonating woodiness. For lack of a better word, it was just strange. On the plus side, after i wiped my wrist down with rubbing alcohol, it does still linger. For my first try I found this fragrance disappointing, but I will try it again. And I will keep comparing oud scents.

desertrat
desertrat

I know the notes are not even similar... However, it is a dead ringer for Tom Ford Black Violet... If you like that, you'll LOVE Black Rose Oud...

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Very Arabian type, nice rosie, lasting power is moderate.

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

The oud is just strong enough, but not too much, and the rose and spice notes fill out the composition beautifully, bouying it up and preventing it from being too masculine. In the store, I didn't realise this was intended as a unisex, but I can see how it would be lovely on the right guy.
I wish this was cheaper - I'd pay $85 but not $185.

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

Sorry 'Kassinator' (reviewer below), but how can u sample a perfume that is called "Black Rose Oud", and then go on to complain & "mark it down" so to speak BECAUSE it has a far too prominent ROSE note ?? - (Hello ??) I just fail to understand, & think it actually rather unfair - after all, the clue is in the name, no ??
I mean it's more than fine that the scent is not for you, no problem there. BUT to 'diss' it for having a far too prominent rose note, is just the last thing anyone should be complaining about a 'rose perfume'. (LOL) ... Here's a suggestion - if ya don't even like 'rose' as a note (as u stated !), then don't even bother sampling or more importantly reviewing 'rose-centred' scents. :)

As for 'Black Rose Oud' it's actually a pretty decent release, even rather superior for a Trish McEvoy frag. A nice surprise ! ... (But please now, ENOUGH with the 'rose/oud' combo !!! - We're desperately in need of some originality with our oud, which we'd much rather !!) ... Otherwise it's ok for what it is !

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

You got both notes that are in the title and they are prominent. Rose/floral and oud, rather equally and they make a Great scent for a woman and a Good scent for a man. Maybe if it was a stronger rose scent and not on the feminine "floral" side it might come across more like Davidoff's Zino, a great winter scent in my book.

Not the greatest but for the price Trish asks for her scents it might be better for you to do a trial/sample vial first. So many oud scents out there, men...........there are more masculine oud scents out there.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Cosmetic brand... niche price? I can't complain too much however, as the quality of the fragrance almost matches it's steep price. The oud is present and very much legit, gradually revealing itself from behind a curtain of rose. Rose is a very aromatic and very potent floral, and I'm getting a reasonable delivery of both rose and agarwood. Black Rose Oud was well executed and worthy of a spot among any connoisseur's collection.

I was initially taken aback a bit by Trish McEvoy BLACK ROSE OUD, because it just did not seem black at all. It seemed more like vibrant red. Even juicy red, although not nearly so fruity as Henri Bendel ROSE & OUD, which I think should be called ROSE & STRAWBERRY. It's funny how many perfumes there are with oud in the name but which seem to have very low levels of oud in the scent, at least to my nose.

In this case, the oud really is detectable, and it comes through more and more as the perfume dries down. I've worn BLACK ROSE OUD a few times now, thanks to a generous decant sent to me by kimkim, who mentioned that her fondness for the perfume grew over time, and I have to say that she is right. The more I wear BLACK ROSE OUD, the more I like it.

When I was dashing about this afternoon, on a very clear and sunny but also very cold day, I found myself admiring the deeply red yet also sweet rose mingling with the oud in this creation. It really smells swell, and I may end up adding a bottle to my collection.

BLACK ROSE OUD, however, I hasten to reiterate, is not at all black. Given the name of this perfume, gents may be tempted to give this composition a go, but I would definitely caution them to try before they buy, as BLACK ROSE OUD seems rather feminine to me. There are no fruits listed among the notes, but this composition is quite a bit sweeter than most of the other rose oud perfumes I've tried--the exception being the Henri Bendel, which has imperceptibly little oud, it seems to me.

shoreshells
shoreshells

Oh how I wanted to like this fragrance; the name alone was enough to make me want to purchase it without trying it first; but thank goodness I didn't.
There's something sour and body odor smelling in this lovely named fragrance. That unpleasant odor doesn't fade either, it sticks to you and for me, ruines the darkness of the rose.

kassinator
kassinator

I was a bit disappointed with this. For some reason I was beyond excited when I first read about it. I had decided before smelling it that I was going to love it. I was looking forward to Trish breaking out and doing something a bit darker. This just didn't do it for me. In the store I thought it smelled nice, but I was still unsure. I found myself asking the sales lady "... are you sure there isn't too much rose here?" She assured me that I was just overwhelmed from other scents I had smelled and that the rose wasn't too strong. I got a generous sample and took it home.

Well here I am a few days later smelling this as I write the review. It is a nice scent. There is nothing offensive about it, but rose takes such a center stage here that I will not be buying it. I am not a fan of rose perfumes at all. The oud is in the background, but for some reason I feel like it's presence seems to catapult the rose into a medicinal realm. I barely detect a hint or wood or spice. I think if they had a stronger presence this would have been rounded out quite a bit.

To sum this up, if you like rose and you like oud, definitely check this out. Unfortunately, it was just not for me.

Englishrose
Englishrose

I was extremely excited about Black Rose Oud and just had to have it when it launched in Selfridges. The scent is exotic but disappointingly had a cheap smell on the skin. I was also very disappointed and surprised by the conversation I heard from one of the sales girls Rebecca or Becca (Selfridges). Mentioning that it was for middle eastern customers and that they'd buy anything. Not the Trish McEvoy Brand that I've grown to love over the years.

Alexandrarae
Alexandrarae

As this perfume is for Men and Women will be interested to see how much of a floral/oriental this would be. Notice they mention Belle d'opium as something similar - don't know any of the other perfumes suggested. May be too dark and masculine. Guess will have to wait and see by testing on my skin. Certainly sounds lovely though and quite exotic.

Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy 3.73 out of 5 based on 47 ratings and 15 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Trish McEvoy Black Rose Oud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Trish McEvoy Black Rose Oud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.