Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women
dislike

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures

Jungle Gardenia perfume was originally launched in 1933 year by the New York based perfume company Tuvaché. The fragrance was reformulated few times; like in 1950 by Jovan and in 1995 by Coty. The fragrance contains notes of greens, bitter orange, clary sage, cyclamen, gardenia, tuberose, heliotrope, tarragona, violet leaf, lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, oak moss, benzoin, sandalwood and musk.

Bitter Orange Clary Sage Cyclamen Heliotrope

Parfumee

JUNGLE GARDENIA

TUVACHE

GROUP FLORAL

NOTES CITRUS CLARY SAGE CYCLAMEN GARDENIA JASMINE TUBEROSE HELIOTROPE LILY OF THE VALLEY YLANG YLANG VIOLET LEAVES SANDALWOOD MUSK BENZOIN OAK MOSS

SILLAGE VERY HEAVY RADIATES WITHIN 6 FEET

LONGEVITY VERY LONG LASTING 7 TO 12 HOURS PLUS

REMINDS ME OF: FRACAS PIGUET ISLAND GARDENIA JOVAN WHITE DIAMONDS ELIZABETH TAYLOR PANTHERE CARTIER GIORGIO BEVERLY HILLS TRUTH OR DARE MADONNA TEASE PARIS HILTON KIM KARDASHIAN FOUR WHITE FLOWERS MARILYN MIGLIN

1933 Jungle Gardenia is the very definition of a white floral fragrance. If you're studying the composition of a white floral scent and how gardenia flower can become a perfume, this is the one you want to study. My grandmother had it in her collection for years and now that she's gone and her perfumes are still around, this beauty is mine. Yes this is a gardenia, but it's no soliflore. It smells of many white flowers: tuberose, jasmine, lily of the valley. The additional flowers of violet and ylang ylang are in the background. This is as others have pointed out a tropical scent, smells like an island where gardenia flowers blossom and leave behind an intoxicating aroma throughout the island. There is something like coconut water in this scent. There is a benzoin and musk and sandalwood which in the end provide the scent with the strongest possible base notes to hold up those flowers. It's aromatic, it's green and white, and it's also a show off. The longevity and sillage is epic. This is on you all through the weekend if you start wearing it on Friday morning. This is a honeymoon and vacation or cruise fragrance something to wear in a romantic get-away. This was a popular fragrance among Hollywood stars and it was reportedly worn by Barbara Stanwyck who introduced it to a young Natalie Wood. This is a mature fragrance but you don't have to be an octogenarian to enjoy it. If you love white flowers and you have worn fragrances that are a more watered down version of this (i.e. Kim Kardashian, Tease Paris Hilton, Truth or Dare Madonna) and you are familiar with how tuberose and gardenia combos smell on you/your chemistry you should check this out. It's a vintage classic and the signature white floral of all time.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Jungle Gardenia by Tuvache parfum review.

Clary sage, bitter orange and heliotrope opening , herbal giving way to a bubble gum type tuberose. The violet leaves and jasmine add depth to the gardenia scent. The heart lasts for hours. Finally the mossy beautiful sandalwood rises up. Its beautiful, deep, lush, sexy , dark scent.

Its lasting power is nuclear, as I washed my hands and still could smell it. A rich gem worth the hype if you love gardenia perfumes.

Jovan island gardenia is like jungle gardenia but a distant cousin. Its not as strong, depth , complexity as jungle gardenia. I'd say jungle gardenia is more closer to fracas. I own all three. Island gardenia is a great drugstore option for a gardenia scent. It just isn't jungle gardenia.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't vintage Jungle Gardenia the same as contemporary Jovan Island Gardenia?

Thanks

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

The Favorite Fragrance Of Classic Hollywood Stars

Jungle Gardenia was once very beloved. Today it's a curiosity for vintage lovers who want to inhale "the past". I finally got my hands on a vintage old formula bottle dating from the 60's, during which time it was still selling. It had been launched in 1933 and quickly became the favorite fragrance of actresses like Gloria Swanson, Barbara Stanwyck, Ava Gardner and Natalie Wood. First of all I must say that this is a very mature woman's fragrance and wears like Fracas, a heavy white floral but Jungle Gardenia, as the name suggests is a tropical exotic scent that you bring back with you after vacationing in the Caribbean or the Amazon jungle areas in South America like Colombia or Brazil. It takes me to a tropical location lush with green vegetation, waterfalls, damask orchids and white flowers. This is really quite beautiful. It's too bad they dont make them like this anymore. To my nose the dominant notes are of course the gardenia, but it's also got a heavy heliotrope in the opening notes and in the floral heart notes it also has a lot of jasmine and lily. This is a white floral scent but it's not soft like a wedding bouquet. I don't get a white wedding vibe with this the way I do with Chanel. No. 22. This is clearly a "let's go to Hawaii on a romantic getaway" type of fragrance. Women probably wore it not for their wedding but for their honeymoon. I don't find it old, old lady ish grandma ish. It's divinely beautiful, strong, confident and exotic. I can see this fragrance (if the original formula was still with us) worn by celebrities like Madonna, Paula Abdul, Jennifer Lopez, Selma Hayek and Sofia Vergara. This is probably too much for the girly girl types who reach for TEASE by Paris Hilton or one of the Britney Spears fragrances or even too much for those that like Chanel Mademoiselle and Dior's Blooming Bouquet. You won't get a light body mist out of this. This is an entire South American jungle that you find yourself lost in, blissfully lost in, and smelling white flowers everywhere. Loved it. But I can only wear it outside the US LOL

lulusmom
lulusmom

I adore gardenias and thought this would be glorious. Hm. Not on me, unfortunately. I bought a quarter ounce of vintage Tuvache perfume in the dark green bottle and it smelled very...fecal on me, like rotten vegetation. Must be my body chemistry, will try again in winter and keep my fingers crossed.

Update: Well, we've had several cool days and I had to try this again....SCORE!! Quite simply intoxicating, everything I hoped it would be. The undertone that was so overwhelming is still there but more of a forest floor now. Damp and earthy drowning in lush, almost overblown gardenias. Decadent and glorious.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I recently acquired a vintage three-piece set of Jungle Gardenia by Tuvache, which included the cologne, perfumed powder and cologne spray concentrate. The original store sticker on this set, still on, priced it at $16.50, pretty hefty for the time period of this box, circa 1960’s. An inflation calculator puts that price at roughly $123.24 today, so it wasn’t that cheap.
Jungle Gardenia begins with gardenia of course, straight up. But, there is a burnt flavoring covering the top for some brief moments, perhaps it’s the clary sage in passing while the tart bitterness of the orange mellows the gardenia. The tuberose at times is overpowering. It’s strong, thick and pure. It wafts in, around and through the perfume.
Eventually, Jungle Gardenia turned into a spicier sandlewood many, many hours later. Not just a generic sandlewood, mind you, but one that I’ve not encountered in a long, long time. Woods wrapped in types of unique spices and this stage was still just as strong as the others. To me, this seems a cold weather perfume to wear sparingly, but I haven’t tried it in the warmer months. I’d be curious to see how it develops then.
I loved how Jungle Gardenia took me through a Journey of notes and hours of pleasure of a perfume. That’s what it’s all about. Or how perfume used to be developed. And how it used to develop on those that spritzed them on themselves. They could enjoy the fragrance for hours.
This perfume is clean, bright and fresh. It’s mature, sultry and strong. It’s a fragrance from the past that’s heady and strong-willed. a perfume to wear in the evening, for a mature personality that knows the old-time perfumes and appreciates them. What a delightful find this perfume has been!
Edit: My d-i-l visited and loves gardenia perfumes. She tried this one on and called me when she was at home, later that evening. She told me how different this one was from today's gardenia perfumes she's tried. She felt it was pretty and full of notes that were unique and long-lasting. She felt this is the "real stuff"! Yeah, it is the real stuff, that's for sure. It's vintage and it's good.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

Gardenias have been among my favorite flowers forever and I wanted to try this. I got a vintage spray cologne and hae been smitten. My bottle is ribbed glass with a tall dark green top. It truly smells like gardenias in full bloom. I spray it on my arm before bed because it's comforting. I own several vintage, classic perfumes and nothing smells like pure, single flower the way this does. I don't find it to be complex, but meither does it ever get that powdery smell. Which I love btw. Tuvache Jungle Gardenia is a pure gardenia smell. It's unique. I will probably buy the New formulation to see if it's true to the vintage.

phonelady61
phonelady61

This perfume was noted to be purchased by frank Sinatra for his then wife Ava Gardner ...also worn by my grandma and she bought it because she loved frank Sinatra and thought anything he purchased must be good ...

TheBritishEccentric

Well I received my bottle of Touvach's Gardenia 1933 and am thrilled to say that its almost identical to Jungle Gardenia. I don't think it is as long lasting but its all there otherwise. Get so many compliments like I did in the 60s. So many memories came flooding back the first time I sprayed it, spent the whole day sniffing my wrists lol. This perfume makes me very happy and to know I can now buy it in this formation is wonderful.

TheBritishEccentric

The first time I got a whiff of this stunning fragrance was when model Amanda Lear walked passed me in Ossie Clark's studio where I worked. Even when she had left the building her fragrance lingered on! Next time I saw her I asked what she was wearing and she told me with a laugh Jungle Gardenia. The laugh was because it was such an inexpensive perfume picked up at any corner drugstore, so whenever I knew someone going to the States I would ask them to pick me up a few bottles. I then moved on to Fracas which I wear still today, however I had a yearning to bring back those special memories lately but of course could only find vintage at some exorbitant price, and not knowing if it was still wearable and not 'gone off' like so many of the vintage perfumes I have bought. I learned on this site that Tuvache Gardenia 1933 is very similar so have ordered that and am so excited to receive it. Perfume to me is a memory in a bottle, it evokes a time and place passed and I think that is why I am so addicted to it. Will let you know how it performs when I receive it.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING GORGEOUS!!!

This reminds me of a tropical version of fracas. I have the touchtip perfume which I think might be pure perfume because it's so insane potent!

Before reviewing notes, what came to my mind as I sniffed this , is fracas tuberose , jasmine , gardenia , anything else is a nuance. lovely, almost as modern as fracas, a gorgeous pronounced amber

Reminds me of a stormy dark tropical island resort

Btw, I disagree completely with those who say madonnas perfume is like fracas. If you feel the same and also that fracas quality is far higher than you'll probably agree wth my take on tuvache, very high qualigy, natural extracts used, super long lasting. In fact (with the tropical element aside), I would say that this perfume is closet to fracas than any other perfume I've ever sniffed.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Je serais tellement honorée que mes narines se posent sur ce petit Chef d'Oeuvre !!

stormyla
stormyla

I have a 1/4 oz of the skin perfume circa 1950's. My word, this is one potent heady brew, and that's a serious understatement. Strong perfumes are like manna to me, but this one is down right terrifying.

The only way that I have been able to enjoy it is as an additive to my two other Gardenia fragrances.This gives those other scents more intensity and greater lasting power.

Honestly, the Tuvache Gardenia parfum has positively nuclear power so in keeping with the mindset of the era when my version was formulated!

Kiku
Kiku

Jungle Gardenia is the first perfume that entered my consciousness, probably because every TV game show in the 1950's and 1960's offered it as a conslation prize. Big deal, everyone in our neighborhood had a gardenia bush, they were practically weeds, and I was too busy being a semi-flower child to wear anything as old as JG -- it was over 30 and we weren't supposed to trust anything over 30! Now that I am over 30 myself and have moved beyond those forgotten and mostly unlamented "with it" perfumes of my teen years I can finally appreciate the purest gardenia fragrance ever made. This is the scent of a summer night down South: when the heat quickens the pulse and thickens the blood. It is that moment when sensuality overcomes and you must surrender to your passion. JG is 80 years old now but she is no old lady, she's a hot mama. May we all be as seductive in our eighth decade.

BANGOTIGO
BANGOTIGO

the subtletiest fragrance i ever smelled it brings back beautiful happy memeories of childhood ahh if i could smell it again...

grace.ess
grace.ess

Imagine my surprise when a search for my beloved vintage stuff turned up a living Tuvache company, and a scent called Gardenia 1933. I was even more surprised and delighted to find that, after many years of looking, Gardenia 1933 is the same fragrance as Jungle Gardenia. Like the original stuff, it's reasonable without cutting corners on quality. Hooray for all of us JG lovers.

Karunani
Karunani

We have ordered sample of vintage Jungle Tuvache Gardenia.. At first sniff I liked it a lot, so I have decided to wear it today. Firsts 5 minutes it smells excellent, I would say like a real meaty petals of gardenia at rain forest of south India..but then..then..I happened to enter subway ,and, OMG...I thought that somebody passed the wind,so i just started to look around in order to find out who may smell like rotten chinese dumpling stuffed with sour cabbage!
After while, I remained alone in whole subway car, but that awful odor stayed with me,I smelled my wrist, just in case and realized that it is actually my Tuvache Cardenia changed its beautiful chords of music to unpleasent simple melody !!!

I love Gardenia, but not this time, not today, not during gray winter day. It might be wonderful for summer, but I am not sure if I am ready to survive one more #day of sour dumplings#.

Crystal-Clear
Crystal-Clear

I loved this perfume. It was, for me, appropriate any time, any place, any season. I have yet to find a gardenia fragrance that compares to the original, unique "Jungle Gardenia" blend. I'm currently using Annick Goutal 'Gardénia Passion. It is pleasant, but bears no resemblance to Tuvache's Jungle Gardenia.'

Gardeniawhore
Gardeniawhore

This perfume is SO bound up in my past, as I'm sure it is for many others. I remember it as being one of the only gardenia perfumes that actually resembled the flower, and being from the South, I'm well accquainted with the scent of them. Yes, it was reformulated a few times - unsuccessfully, I might add. The only way to get the real thing is to go on EBAY or AMAZON, and even then you risk getting a bottle that has gone bad. The best ones that I've found are the ones from earlier vintages called Pure Perfume or Skin Perfume. Also, I've had luck with the ones from Yardley of London - these are the bottles that say "a fragrance of subtle intrigue". It's also good to ask the seller if they have sniffed the bottle - it's sometimes better to get a bottle that's been opened and confirmed good than to get an unopened one that has gone bad - these sellers don't always want to give refunds. As for the recent remakes that are available from the Vermont Country Store and Timeless Perfumes, they are absolutely nothing like real Jungle Gardenia. The one from Vermont smells alarmingly like Dawn dishwashing liquid. As for Timeless Perfumes, they claim to have the formula and be the only authorized maker of this perfume. That may be, but I've had two different bottles from them, one an eau de toilette and the other an eau de parfum. The parfum is a very thick, powdery perfume smelling nothing like a gardenia or even a white flower, much less Jungle Gardenia. The toilette was a very acid,chemical bitter green and at the same time bland concoction. A very cheaply made synthetic product. I actually called them to get my refund and was asked why I didn't like it, so I explained that it didn't smell anything remotely like the original JG or like a gardenia. The man said they follow the formula exactly, whereupon I explained that just because a formula says it has tuberose or gardenia in it doesn't mean that it's going to smell the same every time you make it - it all depends on the quality of these ingredients as well as where in the world they came from, especially if your are using naturals. Since gardenia is almost always synthetic in these kinds of perfumes, it is unlikely that they would have access to the original Tuvache gardenia aroma chemicals, as they are probably not even legal anymore. This formula also used musk, which was most likely originally a nitro musk - these are also no longer used. If you smell synthetic anything from three different companies you'll get three different smells. I asked the man if he had ever smelled the original JG, and he said no. The best reformulation that I have smelled is from Tuvache.com. They call it Gardenia 1933. It is slightly lighter than the original, but smells very similar. Some one over there was more accquainted with the real thing. I've not tried the remake from Scentmatchers, but perhaps someday.I've also tried the Fragrance Shop's replication and it's pretty good, but the one from Tuvache.com/Hypoluxe is better.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

A favorite of Joan Crawford's in the 1930s.

pfcs
pfcs

In the sixties, my uncle was in grad school and got a whiff of a perfume he was determined to buy for his wife. He followed the woman wearing it until he caught up with her and learned it was Jungle Gardenia. My mother bought some for us,too, and it was truly wonderful. Unfortunately, I was too young to realize how strong it was and wore too much to school and heads turned from everywhere. I went to the restroom and tried to wash it off, but it was in the pores of my skin by then and washing didn't help much. I had a rather embarrassing day and learned an important lesson.

astamm62
astamm62

I love this fragrance...This and Tatiana are my favorite floral scents.I liked the fragrance's Macys carried in the late 70's and early 80's more than what they have now.