Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women
dislike

Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures Jungle Gardenia Tuvaché for women Pictures

Jungle Gardenia perfume was originally launched in 1933 year by the New York based perfume company Tuvaché. The fragrance was reformulated few times; like in 1950 by Jovan and in 1995 by Coty. The fragrance contains notes of greens, bitter orange, clary sage, cyclamen, gardenia, tuberose, heliotrope, tarragona, violet leaf, lily of the valley, jasmine, ylang-ylang, oak moss, benzoin, sandalwood and musk.

Bitter Orange Clary Sage Cyclamen Heliotrope

Gardenia Tuberose Tarragon Ylang-Ylang Violet Leaf Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley

Oakmoss Benzoin Sandalwood Musk

Jungle Gardenia Fragrance Reviews

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I recently acquired a vintage three-piece set of Jungle Gardenia by Tuvache, which included the cologne, perfumed powder and cologne spray concentrate. The original store sticker on this set, still on, priced it at $16.50, pretty hefty for the time period of this box, circa 1960’s. An inflation calculator puts that price at roughly $123.24 today, so it wasn’t that cheap.
Jungle Gardenia begins with gardenia of course, straight up. But, there is a burnt flavoring covering the top for some brief moments, perhaps it’s the clary sage in passing while the tart bitterness of the orange mellows the gardenia. The tuberose at times is overpowering. It’s strong, thick and pure. It wafts in, around and through the perfume.
Eventually, Jungle Gardenia turned into a spicier sandlewood many, many hours later. Not just a generic sandlewood, mind you, but one that I’ve not encountered in a long, long time. Woods wrapped in types of unique spices and this stage was still just as strong as the others. To me, this seems a cold weather perfume to wear sparingly, but I haven’t tried it in the warmer months. I’d be curious to see how it develops then.
I loved how Jungle Gardenia took me through a Journey of notes and hours of pleasure of a perfume. That’s what it’s all about. Or how perfume used to be developed. And how it used to develop on those that spritzed them on themselves. They could enjoy the fragrance for hours.
This perfume is clean, bright and fresh. It’s mature, sultry and strong. It’s a fragrance from the past that’s heady and strong-willed. a perfume to wear in the evening, for a mature personality that knows the old-time perfumes and appreciates them. What a delightful find this perfume has been!

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

Gardenias have been among my favorite flowers forever and I wanted to try this. I got a vintage spray cologne and hae been smitten. My bottle is ribbed glass with a tall dark green top. It truly smells like gardenias in full bloom. I spray it on my arm before bed because it's comforting. I own several vintage, classic perfumes and nothing smells like pure, single flower the way this does. I don't find it to be complex, but meither does it ever get that powdery smell. Which I love btw. Tuvache Jungle Gardenia is a pure gardenia smell. It's unique. I will probably buy the New formulation to see if it's true to the vintage.

phonelady61
phonelady61

This perfume was noted to be purchased by frank Sinatra for his then wife Ava Gardner ...also worn by my grandma and she bought it because she loved frank Sinatra and thought anything he purchased must be good ...

TheBritishEccentric

Well I received my bottle of Touvach's Gardenia 1933 and am thrilled to say that its almost identical to Jungle Gardenia. I don't think it is as long lasting but its all there otherwise. Get so many compliments like I did in the 60s. So many memories came flooding back the first time I sprayed it, spent the whole day sniffing my wrists lol. This perfume makes me very happy and to know I can now buy it in this formation is wonderful.

TheBritishEccentric

The first time I got a whiff of this stunning fragrance was when model Amanda Lear walked passed me in Ossie Clark's studio where I worked. Even when she had left the building her fragrance lingered on! Next time I saw her I asked what she was wearing and she told me with a laugh Jungle Gardenia. The laugh was because it was such an inexpensive perfume picked up at any corner drugstore, so whenever I knew someone going to the States I would ask them to pick me up a few bottles. I then moved on to Fracas which I wear still today, however I had a yearning to bring back those special memories lately but of course could only find vintage at some exorbitant price, and not knowing if it was still wearable and not 'gone off' like so many of the vintage perfumes I have bought. I learned on this site that Tuvache Gardenia 1933 is very similar so have ordered that and am so excited to receive it. Perfume to me is a memory in a bottle, it evokes a time and place passed and I think that is why I am so addicted to it. Will let you know how it performs when I receive it.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING GORGEOUS!!!

This reminds me of a tropical version of fracas. I have the touchtip perfume which I think might be pure perfume because it's so insane potent!

Before reviewing notes, what came to my mind as I sniffed this , is fracas tuberose , jasmine , gardenia , anything else is a nuance. lovely, almost as modern as fracas, a gorgeous pronounced amber

Reminds me of a stormy dark tropical island resort

Btw, I disagree completely with those who say madonnas perfume is like fracas. If you feel the same and also that fracas quality is far higher than you'll probably agree wth my take on tuvache, very high qualigy, natural extracts used, super long lasting. In fact (with the tropical element aside), I would say that this perfume is closet to fracas than any other perfume I've ever sniffed.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Je serais tellement honorée que mes narines se posent sur ce petit Chef d'Oeuvre !!

stormyla
stormyla

I have a 1/4 oz of the skin perfume circa 1950's. My word, this is one potent heady brew, and that's a serious understatement. Strong perfumes are like manna to me, but this one is down right terrifying.

The only way that I have been able to enjoy it is as an additive to my two other Gardenia fragrances.This gives those other scents more intensity and greater lasting power.

Honestly, the Tuvache Gardenia parfum has positively nuclear power so in keeping with the mindset of the era when my version was formulated!

Kiku
Kiku

This perfume is now marketed as "Gardenia 33".

Jungle Gardenia is the first perfume that entered my consciousness, probably because every TV game show in the 1950's and 1960's offered it as a conslation prize. Big deal, everyone in our neighborhood had a gardenia bush, they were practically weeds, and I was too busy being a semi-flower child to wear anything as old as JG -- it was over 30 and we weren't supposed to trust anything over 30! Now that I am over 30 myself and have moved beyond those forgotten and mosttly unlamented "with it" perfumes of my teen years I can finally appreciate the purest gardenia fragrance ever made. This is the scent of a summer night down South: when the heat quickens the pulse and thickens the blood. It is that moment when sensuality overcomes and you must surrender to your passion. JG is 80 years old now but she is no old lady, she's a hot mama. May we all be as seductive in our eighth decade.

BANGOTIGO
BANGOTIGO

the subtletiest fragrance i ever smelled it brings back beautiful happy memeories of childhood ahh if i could smell it again...

grace.ess
grace.ess

Imagine my surprise when a search for my beloved vintage stuff turned up a living Tuvache company, and a scent called Gardenia 1933. I was even more surprised and delighted to find that, after many years of looking, Gardenia 1933 is the same fragrance as Jungle Gardenia. Like the original stuff, it's reasonable without cutting corners on quality. Hooray for all of us JG lovers.

Karunani
Karunani

We have ordered sample of vintage Jungle Tuvache Gardenia.. At first sniff I liked it a lot, so I have decided to wear it today. Firsts 5 minutes it smells excellent, I would say like a real meaty petals of gardenia at rain forest of south India..but then..then..I happened to enter subway ,and, OMG...I thought that somebody passed the wind,so i just started to look around in order to find out who may smell like rotten chinese dumpling stuffed with sour cabbage!
After while, I remained alone in whole subway car, but that awful odor stayed with me,I smelled my wrist, just in case and realized that it is actually my Tuvache Cardenia changed its beautiful chords of music to unpleasent simple melody !!!

I love Gardenia, but not this time, not today, not during gray winter day. It might be wonderful for summer, but I am not sure if I am ready to survive one more #day of sour dumplings#.

Crystal-Clear
Crystal-Clear

I loved this perfume. It was, for me, appropriate any time, any place, any season. I have yet to find a gardenia fragrance that compares to the original, unique "Jungle Gardenia" blend. I'm currently using Annick Goutal 'Gardénia Passion. It is pleasant, but bears no resemblance to Tuvache's Jungle Gardenia.'

Gardeniawhore
Gardeniawhore

This perfume is SO bound up in my past, as I'm sure it is for many others. I remember it as being one of the only gardenia perfumes that actually resembled the flower, and being from the South, I'm well accquainted with the scent of them. Yes, it was reformulated a few times - unsuccessfully, I might add. The only way to get the real thing is to go on EBAY or AMAZON, and even then you risk getting a bottle that has gone bad. The best ones that I've found are the ones from earlier vintages called Pure Perfume or Skin Perfume. Also, I've had luck with the ones from Yardley of London - these are the bottles that say "a fragrance of subtle intrigue". It's also good to ask the seller if they have sniffed the bottle - it's sometimes better to get a bottle that's been opened and confirmed good than to get an unopened one that has gone bad - these sellers don't always want to give refunds. As for the recent remakes that are available from the Vermont Country Store and Timeless Perfumes, they are absolutely nothing like real Jungle Gardenia. The one from Vermont smells alarmingly like Dawn dishwashing liquid. As for Timeless Perfumes, they claim to have the formula and be the only authorized maker of this perfume. That may be, but I've had two different bottles from them, one an eau de toilette and the other an eau de parfum. The parfum is a very thick, powdery perfume smelling nothing like a gardenia or even a white flower, much less Jungle Gardenia. The toilette was a very acid,chemical bitter green and at the same time bland concoction. A very cheaply made synthetic product. I actually called them to get my refund and was asked why I didn't like it, so I explained that it didn't smell anything remotely like the original JG or like a gardenia. The man said they follow the formula exactly, whereupon I explained that just because a formula says it has tuberose or gardenia in it doesn't mean that it's going to smell the same every time you make it - it all depends on the quality of these ingredients as well as where in the world they came from, especially if your are using naturals. Since gardenia is almost always synthetic in these kinds of perfumes, it is unlikely that they would have access to the original Tuvache gardenia molecules, as they are probably not even legal anymore. This formula also used musk, which was most likely originally a nitro musk - these are also no longer used. If you smell synthetic anything from three different companies you'll get three different smells. I asked the man if he had ever smelled the original JG, and he said no. The best reformulation that I have smelled is from Tuvache.com. They call it Gardenia 1933. It is slightly lighter than the original, but smells very similar. Some one over there was more accquainted with the real thing. I've not tried the remake from Scentmatchers, but perhaps someday.I've also tried the Fragrance Shop's replication and it's pretty good, but the one from Tuvache.com/Hypoluxe is better. By the way, the Fragrance Shop also makes something called True Gardenia that really smells like a gardenia in many ways. It's really worth a try for anyone looking for such a thing.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

A favorite of Joan Crawford's in the 1930s.

pfcs
pfcs

In the sixties, my uncle was in grad school and got a whiff of a perfume he was determined to buy for his wife. He followed the woman wearing it until he caught up with her and learned it was Jungle Gardenia. My mother bought some for us,too, and it was truly wonderful. Unfortunately, I was too young to realize how strong it was and wore too much to school and heads turned from everywhere. I went to the restroom and tried to wash it off, but it was in the pores of my skin by then and washing didn't help much. I had a rather embarrassing day and learned an important lesson.

astamm62
astamm62

I love this fragrance...This and Tatiana are my favorite floral scents.I liked the fragrance's Macys carried in the late 70's and early 80's more than what they have now.

Jungle Gardenia by Tuvaché 4.46 out of 5 based on 30 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Tuvaché Jungle Gardenia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Tuvaché Jungle Gardenia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jungle Gardenia by Tuvaché. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jungle Gardenia by Tuvaché represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.