Designers » T-Z » Woody Spicy « Groups

Usher VIP Usher for men

Usher VIP Usher for men
dislike

leather

Usher VIP was presented in 2009 and it aims at charismatic, masculine and self-confident man. This woody perfume is composed of spicy notes of nutmeg and saffron and is based on opulent nuances of suede, along with bergamot, tangerine and cumquat in top notes. Available as 50 and 100 ml EDT, accompanied with body shampoo and bath, deodorant and after shave balm.

Bergamot Kumquat Tangerine

Saffron Nutmeg Violet Leaf Lotus

Suede Woodsy Notes Vetiver Oakmoss

Curve Crush for Men

Usher VIP Fragrance Reviews

ckasi
ckasi

Knock off version of CD Fahrenheit. I still buy it when I cant afford CD Fahrenheit.

seemon
seemon

Not bad at all for celebrity fragrance. First 5 minutes i get Fahrenheit, then saffron and kumquat kicks in and goes different way. Some kind of sour suede leather. Sillage is low but longevety is around 10 hours. I have to be in certain mood to wear this.

sasha.heywood
sasha.heywood

I'm usually against cheap 'celebrity' fragrances but don't mind this one.

scentedkub
scentedkub

I was in a local Walmart early Saturday morning and as I always do, I went and checked out the fragrances. There was a half-sprayed no-capped bottle of Emeraude that I intended to find and haggle them down to about 2.00 for, but I couldn't find it. But sticking out like a sore thumb was a giftset of a 1 oz. bottle of Usher VIP with aftershave balm. I thought, "that looks like something left over from last Christmas...wonder if it's still marked down..." After going all over the stinking supercenter to find a price check scanner that actually worked, it was 75% off, so in the cart it went...lol

Anyway, I really like it! The powdery start reminds of Bod Man Black, and that bummed me out because I don't like that scent enough to want a duplicate. Thankfully it doesn't stay that way very long and it begins to change into a scent that really does smell a lot like Dior Fahrenheit. The woody drydown is nice. The longevity is alright, and I could smell faint traces of it then next morning. I did notice that if I wet the area again, either by washing my hands or when I went to shower, the fragrance would become noticeable again. I look forward to it cooling down a bit more so I can wear it out.

NYCTiffany
NYCTiffany

Ok so the packaging on this is confusing! I did not know if it was for men or women and I kept looking at the bottle and looking at the packaging and I assumed it was for women. Now i am on fragrantica (should have looked here first) and I see its for men -_- I dont like the smell of this at all, To me it smelled like gasoline and chemicals. Now that I know its a mens cologne.. im glad its just a .5 oz and i figured out it smells better when i spray it with a perfume layerd on top (a sugary one) I would not buy this again, no for me and not for a man, this smells like Usher just slapped his name on and and never even smelled it smh

estewart51
estewart51

Not very intense or long lasting but I can't deny that I do like this fragrance. I'm one of those men that enjoys the smell of perfume and VIP is tip-toeing on the line between a masculine and feminine scent.

This frag is extremely fruity and completely masks the suede note. VIP is definitely a love or hate fragrance and I'm 100% positive it is a clone women's perfume with a 'for men' label.

6.5/10

courant
courant

I bought this mini for my husband as an addition to his travel toiletries bag. It's okay, nothing to write home about.

cornekopia
cornekopia

Usher likes exotic fragrances, and I do find the bottle beautiful. I love the feature of the rotating ring on the cap. The exotic shape does match the peppery, spicy musk on the inside. The secret is the sexy vetiver strength under the peppery accord. It opens a little powdery, but then it sinks in as really pleasant and redolent. No real sillage to speak of. This is definitely more for a close scent, good for snuggling and intimate discovery. Still, strangers have asked me what i was wearing. The longevity is average, but I enjoy the little whiffs I get later in the day.

Sam37
Sam37

it does smell like farenheit, only it is less costly and
lasts longer on the skin.
price and quality: approved.

halalula1234
halalula1234

great celebrity scent for a cheap price.

Smells great + good quality...reminds me of Coriolan mixed with Fahrenheit.

A great alternative to those two...because it smells 80% identical

hsuru4u
hsuru4u

why all the hate?....i am not a fan of celebrity people but this is colonge....i like it..warm..sexy and a tad spi cy,,,,very well blended for an inexpensive scent.

ssstratt
ssstratt

Was really disappointed with this "cologne". The first usher cologne(black bottle) was the first cologne I had ever had and I really liked it. But this stuff just sucked. The main problem with it is the fact that it literally smells like a women's perfume. I ended up giving it away to one of my friends because I was embarrassed to keep using it. The longevity and projection are also below average. I don't care how cheap you find this stuff, AVOID IT! I'd rather use axe body spray...

Adam300691
Adam300691

Ok, WOW!

I love this scent, in ways i can not describe in words.

This cologne lasts on me a good 8 hours, so a full night, as i would only wear this in the evening/cold nights.

It has the most stunning scent to me, very leather and aromatic, but i cant really smell the citrus or woodyness to it. On my skin, there is no sugary or syrup like scent, or even powdery, which is what makes it so amazing to me.

I have had many compliments when going out for a late night coffee or even to a night club, as anyone who walked past me would be captivated by Usher VIP.

This scent is definitely not for everyone, as my friend tried some of mine on, i could still smell it, but to him, it just didnt work.

Cost wise, i think this scent is definitely worth its money! couldnt have asked for a more perfect night time cologne!

10/10!

lister
lister

Sweet-woody,synthetic,strong.Nothing special,just like stale bottle of alcohol cologne in barber shop.Afterall -Unpleasant dry-down due to synthetic notes.And people still buy it.Why?

With one spray to the chest I got great longevity, but the projection is subtle and seems to come in waves. This dries down to a reasonably natural smellinng spicy leather. It's a bit powdery with just a hint of sweetness, and yes I do get a tiny bit of Fahrenheit type violet leaf. A bit simple but certainly effective if this is what you seek. At current prices this is a good one for variety in a large rotatioin.

Nyblue27
Nyblue27

Awesome scent cheaply priced. I purchased this as a blind buy. No regrets.

herreroph
herreroph

Smells strong, for a little money has great longevity.
Do not spray too much if you will be using during the day.
Also the bottle is nice

Bobster
Bobster

Fahrenheit wanna be that will never be.... This is actually pretty decent but what turned me off from this was the sandalwood note is just too much and of course the longevity and projection could have been bit better. I have actually given this more chances than a lot of other fragrances due to it smelling like fahrenheit but every time I wear it I get let down due to the sandalwood. Try it out if you can't afford fahrenheit but don't expect much.

raiyanhasin
raiyanhasin

I don't get all the hatred on this. This smells different from the overcrowded market full of pepper and cinnamon, but in no way is this unpleasant.

The leather/suede and violet notes are very pronounced. I wore this in an outing in Chicago with some friends and the next day, I wore Dior's Fahrenheit.One of my female friends went like "Didn't you wear this yesterday?"
Now I'll tell you what makes these two appear similar..the violet leaf and the suede which gives these two an overall petroleum smell. Aquatic/citrus fans, this is not for you.

I honestly fell in love with this with the first spray. Usher VIP is like a less well-made Fahrenheit and minus the mossy notes. Try it for yourself and you'd see what I'm talking about.

All the bashing is indeed surprising for me because personally, I thought this would be loved by most. Never have I received a negative compliment on this and the best compliment would be 'You smell rich!'
Indeed! I feel like a million bucks when I put this on. If liquid gold had a smell, it would this or Fahrenheit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying VIP is a replacement for Fahrenheit's charisma, it is just that they have similar notes and like I mentioned before, to an unsuspecting nose there might be no difference to these two AT ALL. Unlike Fahrenheit, VIP is very linear. It doesn't develop much after its opening but I ain't complaining.

I don't see anyone with a sporty wardrobe pulling this off. It is above casual...more for a better dressed person. I see a lot of comments on how this smells like a female perfume. Females should only put this on if they ever want to smell like a man.

You can get 100 ml bottle for around 17-25 dollars online and 26-35 retail. However, seeing all the hate on this, you'd better try this out for yourself before making the purchase because apparently, this is not for everyone or their skin. Longevity - way above average and sillage is quite heavy on my skin.

Alternatives: From what I hear, besides Fahrenheit, Ferrari Uomo smells quite similar. I don't own that but I'll make sure I have it soon.

Tonage
Tonage

At first it had a strong smell, after 5 hours to the next day, the strong smell settled down, and smelt different and better, it was pleasing to the nose
5/10 first few hours
8.5/10 the later hours
(got it for christmas/birthday present can't complain)

paulhunter

I've worn this a few times, and I've discovered a few things. This is a very unpredictable fragrance. It has many stages. When this warms up on my skin (I noticed while I was working out) the kumquat and whatnot comes out and it's very fresh and citrusy and clean. On cold skin, say outside, it's a powerhouse leather musk with the infamous petroleum note. I'm more of a fan of the fruity-warm phase, but this will definitely cut through the Winter air. Very versitile fragrance.
I also get a lot of compliments from teenaged girls on this. I'm not too crazy about it myself but if you're a teenage guy looking to smell good to girls your age you can use this.

paulhunter

This is a strange fragrance, I detect something rubbery and masculine and petroleum-y (definitely trying to be Fahrenheit) and it's confusing my nose. I honestly don't know if I like this or not, it feels like a love or hate fragrance and I need to give it more time to know if I like it or not. For the record, I don't detect any fruitiness or citrus at the beginning as people have mentioned, just a bit of generic woodsiness and then this massive drydown of petroleum/rubber masculinity.

Grottola
Grottola

jcastano is right on the money - Usher VIP is a much lighter version of Fahrenheit, however, I actually like this one more than Fahrenheit.

Granted, while the first formulation of Fahrenheit is a treasure worth having, Usher VIP is almost a "Fahrenheit for Fahrenheit haters". It's plusher, not as heavy on the violet, less petrol like, and it has a subtle blackcurrant/tea-like note in there that works well. Also, get this - I looked at the back of the package and it has Evernia prunastria (oakmoss) in it! Awesome!

cybergoth
cybergoth

i have this colonge its better wear at night its to soft last 30 min to hour on me . its really not worth the money for this over priced colonge

tastetherainbow87
tastetherainbow87

Smell this colonge the other day horrible should I say more???? :---(

al1nonly
al1nonly

I love this. This is what started me on my fragrance collection. I have no idea why most other reviews are giving this a negative. I used about 20% of my 3.4oz and recieved so many compliments i bought the deodorant on ebay so when i wear this cologne i smell "completely" like it. I give this a 9/10 very safe buy and EXTREMLY great smell.

nananessa
nananessa

I found a bottle of this today in a discount store out of the packaging with the cap missing. It was the only one in the store so they let me have it for $1. Can you believe it? I honestly didn't know if it was a man's EDT or a woman's but I did know that I loved the fragrance.

This seems like a unisex one to me...

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

A fragrance most will be hesitant to try if only because they resent celebrity forays into every arena of retail profit maximization and are tired of simple cash grabs with little concern for the consumer. Usher VIP is definitely the most puzzling and least balanced of the three male fragrances offered under his name.
Neither particularly pleasant or awful, possibly due to its evasive and rather hard to sniff nature, this is not your typical celebrity fragrance. VIP dares to push the bar a bit with one of the most expensive spices on the rack, saffron and right up against nutmeg to boot.
VIP's bombastic pretensions are made clear enough by its name and incredibly cheap, unsophisticated and flashy 1970's retro packaging. All that aside, this is heavily synthetic stuff and not for the faint of heart or the more sophisticated organic sniffer. VIP is decent for what it is, a budget line celebrity fragrance that is always being discounted in the big department stores because the ingredients simply can´t justify the MSRP. It even seems of late even the drugstores are having trouble clearing this one off the bottom shelf.
Certainly it is fair to say that this is Fahrenheit extremely light, but even so VIP has no real character or heart. It is missing vibrancy and makes it quite clear from the opening blast of kumquat and mandarin that this has no intention of using organic notes. Even the saffron is a chemical creation far off from the stuff grown in Castilla La Mancha that most people would recognize from a decent Paella rice. I Would not call VIP pleasant, nor boring. A better description would be overly-ambitious, completely synthetic and absolutely cloying..
The synthetic spice was overwhelming for me in this one and was the first male fragrance to ever make me completely dizzy and disorientated with a dry throat and clogged sinuses.
For those who can handle its synthetic soul, VIP has potential in that it certainly goes against the grain, though at its core it is simply too synthetic to be a staple of any refined man´s rotation.

andy
andy

to be honest I tried 1 spray on my wrist and after an hour it seems to smell like a ladies perfume. I think its a bit sweet and synthetic and it has a few offputting note that completely make it unpleasant.

like a lot of celeb scents this was MADE IN A RUSH to get a scent out there and it did not have enough careful precision to get everything quite so well blended and so it is just another gimmick and most of the money spent on the scent goes towards the fancy bottle design instead of the scent

cyber861
cyber861

خیلی شباهت داره با فارنهایت ولی یکم لایت تره.ولی ته بوش فرق داره و خوشاینده.دوستش دارم.

jcastano
jcastano

This is Fahrenheit rebottled and packaged as Usher VIP. Does this deserve a thumbs down? Possibly not, but for me, I say YES! Why? Although this smells like Fahrenheit, it's essentially a lighter version of it, much lighter, almost like a Fahrenheit summer. Lighter for me means lousy longevity. I get 2 hours tops with this. 4 hours if I choose to douse myself. Is it more wearable than Fahrenheit? I'd say yes, but for me, Fahrenheit does this unquestionably better and it should, I mean, it's the original! I love the dirty, petrolium, leathery vibe from Fahrenheit, its fantastic! VIP, on the other hand, is toned down and not as brash or offensive. It's just another pleasant, boring, mainstream cloned scent. Either way, this is just another waste of time and money for anyone who owns Fahrenheit and loves it, but I suppose if you hate Fahrenheit, then give this a shot. It might be for you.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

The beginning of VIP is closely reminiscent to Molton Brown Black Pepper, only stickier and with less earthly spice.
The development is creamier, but still holds that sweet top that initially grabs my attention.
The spices are all in the base, which is why yes the spice is there but only just. Without a woody base, this fragrances milk mystique really takes off.

And now the drydown; doesn't bring a whole lot of change to the scent itself, but damn that crappy longevity. Ruined everything, that is the sole reason for my thumbs down. Seriously, it didn't even last half an hour before almost dying completely. Even close to the skin it's almost not there.

Another Elizabeth Arden company creation bites the dust.

I really liked that smell, too.

2CentsOnScents
2CentsOnScents

First off, the comment on this page saying EDTs are a waste of money isnt true. Some EDTs are made to stay close to the skin and others can be very potent and long lasting like the thierry mugler frags and le male. On to the review. I got this for a gift for Christmas and I'm not overly impressed by it. This fragrance is not going to get much use from me because it feels like a mature fragrance and I don't really dig the scent right now. I like the more fun scents I guess.
7 stars out of 10. I feel like it is too mature for me right now and I don't feel like it is anything spectacular.

ErnieK
ErnieK

Tested it other day and I thought great smell, but no projection or shelf life. Needless to say I'm not very impressed with it. Do not buy unless you want to trow away your money.

Yup yup. It smells like many other top players out there. Fahrenheit, D&G, Mont Blanc, Tommy Bahama, and even Terre d'Hermes. It starts out citrusy woody and then it gets peppery + saffron til it begins to dry and smells like a herbal Chinese ointment. Not sure if its for everybody, but I like the smell tho. It's great for the price, but man! I hate the bottle!

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

This is Fahrenheit. A much more WEARABLE Fahrenheit. Altho when I first sniffed this scent, it smelled like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme! It smells if there is some form of Sandlewood or Tobacco note in there, yet none is listed in the pyramid. Its a nice bottle, & if you like Fahrenheit you will enjoy this one. Its toned down. ALOT from the big hit of 88! Decent stuff but nothing to carry on about.

For a celebrity scent, Usher VIP is pretty impressive.

Usher's first releases, both for men and women, were either mediocre or shockingly bad, however this fragrance has managed to fall into a pleasant and likable category.

Usher VIP is very unisex in my opinion. It has many feminine qualities, particularly the rich, caramel-like sweetness that makes this fragrance so distinguishable.

The citruses in the opening are rather non-naturalistic. They tend to be sugared and syrupy. This fragrance settles on the skin very creamy-like and delicate. While masculine in some sense, I know that many of the buyers of this fragrance are women.

The spice, although present, is not all that strong. This fragrance consists mostly of sweet, powdery woods on a vanillary base.

The sillage is very intimate and the lasting power, although not bad, is fairly average. In my opinion, Usher VIP is reminiscent of those female fragrances that lean towards the masculine side. So ladies don't be afraid to try this one for yourself.

jimmywinters
jimmywinters

I just bought a 1 oz bottle at CVS for $15.00 and I am very dissapointed and not because it smells bad but I can hardly smell it at all. I had to spray it 4 times just to get enough to where I could smell it. Even then it was such a faint scent that I just dont know if it smells good or not. Bad Buy!

Humphrey Bogart
Humphrey Bogart

This is not a good scent for men- smells too feminine or to put it simply it smells like it's for a women.

guest_guest
guest_guest

This cologne smells good but it fades very quickly. Even if you shower in it. Dont waste your time or money

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

Experience the immediate sensuality of a signature woody fragrance, constructed around a rich suede note. Fresh clean bergamot, tangerine and kumqat exude the confidence of a gentleman at ease in his own skin.

aromaminx
aromaminx

hi..so so.tested today
thought might be great on me[female}
however...I won't be buying a bottle
lasted about half hour on me
think hubby wouldn't much like ,either
don't waste yer money ,folks

guest_Bigneems
guest_Bigneems

I just bought this one yesterday. It smells amazing, almost a clone of Fahrenheit. Slightly spicier, but the drydown is super soft. Perfect for dates and cooler weather. I'm not sure how it will play out in the summer but we will see.

r0bdigz
r0bdigz

Not a big fan. Smell is really strong at top and then quickly fades in to the background. Longevity is lacking.

Usher VIP by Usher 3.24 out of 5 based on 150 ratings and 44 user reviews

Usher Vip by Usher EDT Spray 3.4 oz for Men
Usher Vip by Usher EDT Spray 3.4 oz for Men
Usher Usher VIP Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Usher Usher VIP Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Usher Usher VIP fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Usher Usher VIP, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Usher VIP by Usher. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Usher VIP by Usher represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.