Designers » T-Z » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

dislike

I have it: 688 I had it: 390 I want it: 243 My signature: 18

aldehydic
yellow floral
First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures First Van Cleef & Arpels for women Pictures

Nose: Jean-Claude Ellena, 1976. Bottle designer: Jacques Llorente.

Aldehydes Black Currant Mandarin Orange Raspberry Peach Bergamot

Carnation Tuberose Orchid Orris Root Jasmine Hiacynth Turkish Rose Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Narcissus

Honey Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Civet Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver

al01
Privilege
Premonition

First Fragrance Reviews

gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr
gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr

certainly first is a masterpiece.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

Van Cleef & Arpel First, is a bright floral aldehyde with a powdery feel to it. An evergreen classic that exudes refinement, charm and seduction. Indeed, this is a liquid beauty for everyone to adore.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

The first time I tried this I immediately recognized this as familiar; I've smelled this on many a sweet lady over the years, and I do understand why.

The opening of this is right at the upper limit of my tolerance for soapiness. But after a few minutes I start to smell hints of oakmoss and a slightly spicy floral that I can't name, which help to mitigate the aldehydes. I possibly detect a hint of narcissus, but I do wish it were stronger.

Once the civet kicks in this really starts to smell friendly and warm to me. It still smells like a scent for a sophisticate, though, maybe due to the oakmoss running through it. As a sweet oriental lover, I'm surprised at myself, but I like it.

MisiB
MisiB

And this is my signature for winter. Definitely the classiest perfume EVER made (next to Chanel No5). It smells like vintage, elegant lady, a little vamp maybe. Fell in love with it the first time I smelled it. I was in Lisbon in some small perfume boutique in the city center when I saw a small tester bottle. So I bought that one and when I went out from the store I put this on me. In the next moment I knew this will be my signature perfume and got to have the big bottle!

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Unique fact from this beautiful fragrance is, some of my colleagues think it is a men's perfume...maybe because of the aldehyde note. But it makes me think that certain guys can also wear it easily. I like this perfume, and I think First and Arpege are at the same league, which can be a unisex classic.

First is a gorgeous floral aldehyde. This scent opens up with aldehydes that are soft, and I don’t find this scent soapy. I can detect the hyacinth right away, and as the scent wears on, the carnation and oakmoss become apparent to me. Throughout wear, this smells powdery and dry, just the sort of scent I love. I don’t find this scent to be sweet at all, and I can’t smell any of the fruity notes. It is a slightly powdery, mossy floral. There is the tinest hint of civet at drydown but it’s not strong at all.

avalon88
avalon88

The King of parfums for women!

llburris
llburris

I wanted to thank the reviewers who told me to wait a little bit to get past the first spray. I was going to see if any of my friends liked this so it wouldn't go to waste. It's really sensual after the dry down. You guys saved me a great loss in my collection. Thanks again!

auroramaria
auroramaria

This is such a classic! Aldehydes galore so you must like this sort of fragrance to appreciate First.
It smells fantastic but a bit outdated.
I have the body cream and it smells great even if I don't wear it that often
It's very rich and warm.It opens with a burst of fruits then moves on to the flowers mainly jasmine orchid and
rose ending beautifully with a hint of honey vanilla and amber.I think this is a scent for an evening out I can't see myself wearing it during the day.
It needs a fresh night breeze to shine

hipchicagomom
hipchicagomom

This was my grandmother's signature, and it smelled so unbelievably regal on her. I have a small bottle that I wear once in a while when I go to Mass and want to take her with me (and I love how it smells on me too). This to me, is how people go on "living" after they pass on. So I guess in that way, perfume, THIS PERFUME, is pivotal in keeping her memory alive.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I have this as a tester, and now I want a full size bottle! To me this is a classic fragrance-not old fashioned, a timeless feminine scent. I much prefer the dry down to the top notes-please don't judge it on the top notes alone because they are aldehyde and sort of hairspray like momentarily, which seems quite synthetic and not that pleasant. But the dry down is a masterpiece-a gorgeous floral honey with a tinge of fresh fruit-ripe nectarine, sweet but not overly so. I'm convinced there was also a certain spiciness in there, pink pepper maybe but it could be the carnation. Thankfully I don't get tuberose at all (I don't like tuberose), and although in the later stages it is slightly musky and earthy, its still an elegant earthiness-not animalic or 'dirty', pure ladylike seduction instead. Its a striking fragrance, but its not the typical 1980s 'perfume wears you' over the top BIG, its subtle despite its presence. I imagine this fragrance going to a white tie dinner with a low cut evening gown, drinking champagne in the moonlight and waltzing under the stars. Ok, my life is more emptying the washing machine and doing the weeding, but this fragrance makes me dream...

Jillzilla

Opens as a classic floral aldehyde (oh how I love the aldehydes in this one!) with the fruits adding a sweet nectar-like vibe. As the aldehydes fade, they daffodil and hyacinth (which are both challenging notes for my skin chemistry) become more pronounced, but they do stay balanced with all the other notes present. The warm, honeyed base notes emerged early, even though all the mid-notes (and some of the top notes!) were still present on my skin. Here is where, to me, it feels like an oriental fragrance...so old-school classy! But four hours into the drydown is my favorite part of this fragrance, where I can only detect the warm, sultry base.

This is a gorgeous fragrance, but on my skin chemistry, I prefer Chanel No.5 EDP (current formulation), Salvador Dali - Salvador Dali, and Molinard - Ecoute Moi for my favorite sweet soapy florals with a warm woody-musky base.

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

First is so subtle I almost think she doesn't like me. But she's always there, blending with my skin and leaving the most elegant and gentle hyacinth trail, just when I begin to think she's gone. A perfume that's never obvious and which requires from the wearer a lot of sensibility to reveal its magic.

krmarich
krmarich

The first time I ever encountered First was on my first trip to Paris From NYC in the 1980s. I was nervous for several reasons. A beautiful blond flight attendant in her 40s helped calm me down. She was very fashionable even in her uniform. I noticed her perfume most. When we landed in France I finally asked her what it was. Her response was First. I never encountered it again.

I discovered a vintage bottle and decided it was time to experience it for myself. Its the bottle that resembles an earring. I gave a spray and was immediately taken back 30 some years ago to that transatlantic flight.

The floral notes are vivid, opulent and recall spring gardens. Wow! It is complex and every few minutes, you get a new note. Nothing in the modern market can compare to this. In fact, it defies the decades and transcends the genres.

Lets face it, VCA First was a bit retro in 1976. This kind of luxury had been seen before in every decade of the 20th century starting with Chanel no 5, Arpege, Joy, Madame Rochas, Caleche and Chamade. The torch was passed to First who brought it to glorious heights. Nothing has came close to this opulence, other than Boucheron a decade later.

The mystery of classic perfume has grown deeper as the classics from the 20th C fade from the market. Reformulations don't count. The secret of the perfumer has been hermetically sealed by "pop aromachemicals". The lineage is broken. First is perhaps the last of its kind. Grab a vintage bottle and judge it for yourself.

Plrowden
Plrowden

So very much has been written about First, that it is impossible for me to add anything meaningful to what has already been said about this incredibly refined and classic fragrance. I fell head over heels when I first sprayed my vintage bottle. I swear I have never felt so sophisticated, beautiful, elegant and self-confident as when I wore first for the very first time. I previously had only two fragrances on my top shelf. Now there are three!

ingelot
ingelot

I just bought this perfume & I'm absolutely in LOVE, it is so gorgeous!! I feel clean, mature & elegant wearing this scent.

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

Another beauty that has been reformulated, and fairly recently too, as my 6 year old bottle is fine, but my recent purchase had to be returned. It smells similar to the original, be has a musty, sour smell. Original first is a sparkling beauty of a scent, and well worth seeking out.

ClosetBeauty01
ClosetBeauty01

This scent is very strong. It reminded me of something a much older woman would wear. I tried to get it off but it just would not come off, so the staying power is amazing. Its just not my kind of scent but I am sure it works well for some.

elusivek
elusivek

I found this to be a very classy (and classic) white floral with a bit of sweetness. It's a deeper white floral, not loud. It is definitely from the genre of the big 80's era but I think that with a light hand, this would be nice for mature ladies who want a floral without all candied sweetness or edginess from more avant garde scents. It's blended well and I can't really pick apart specific flowers. It's tempered subtly by the amber, sandalwood, and musk so that the floral remains the star. It's a lovely and elegant floral akin to an admired woman unaware of her own beauty.

I do not get the burst of aldehydes, although it does smell fresh like inhaling a deep breath of a bouquet in the spring. I also do not get distinctive fruit either.

I've seen reference to this being sexy/seductive. I disagree, I think it's more like when a woman hits that stage in life where she's at ease in her own skin and has a natural confidence. I think that would make her alluring but not in an overtly sexual way.
Also a number of people compare this to Clive Christian's #1. I recently owned #1 and I can tell you this is much better. #1 is much louder and drenched in powder (this has barely any to speak of, just enough to make it comforting).

This coming from someone who does not like predominantly floral scents! That being said, although I appreciate it, it is not my style, it's too delicate/safe of a scent and a bit dated for me at this stage in my life.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

A colleague wore this in the 90s and I liked it. I consider it a classic. Elegant, mature. I go back to it from time to time and am never disappointed. Fades down to something quite beautiful.

opa
opa

EDT review.Found it very similar to the Sublime at the beginning and liked that. However the longevity on my skin is sadly pour when Sublime lasts a day easily.. Sad. I wonted to have and to love it.

Juliana6
Juliana6

Classic, timeless, sophisticated fragrance like the jewelry from Van Cleef & Arpels. Every their jewel has its history of inspiration, of invention, of creation. It's the same with this scent.
My mom once had a scent called "White hyacinth". She's passed away but her clothes still smell like that scent. "First" brings back those memories.
White flowers with a hint of powder (a touch of an expensive soap- in a good way) with a warm, deep, intoxicating (almost masculine) base.
One of those Great French perfume classics without any doubt.

joan100
joan100

This smell is so strong it makes me feel funny when I smell it. Its very sharp. Im not saying its a bad scent but its not my type. I dont detect any animalic notes in this much tbh except in the beginning of the drydown.

sexysniffa
sexysniffa

This is a fragrance my mother wore all the time to work and to church. It reeks of supreme class, ultimate sophistication, and undeniable beauty.

And whenever I smell it, I am instantly taken back to the 80's - - a beautiful and simple time before youtube, facebook, and smartphones.

It is definitely for a mature and confident woman who is comfortable in her own skin and gorgeous inside and out.

This one will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Un des plus grands parfums de la parfumerie française.
Monsieur Ellena vous êtes un génie des "nez" né.. Mon Dieu mais qu'est que je raconte moi !!!!
Je suis complétement folle.... ;O)
Sérieusement ce parfum respire toute l'opulence du luxe français sans jamais écraser celle qui le porte. Gageure que seul un grand de la parfumerie est capable d'accomplir.
Fruité (grâce aux fruits rouges omniprésents), poudré grâce à l'iris, floral grâce au jasmin, animal grâce à la civette, aldéhydé à souhait et toutes les autres notes rentrent dans cette symphonie sans jamais non plus se gêner les uns et les autres. Aucune incongruité dans la pyramide olfactive. On dirait que tout a été simple pour Monsieur Ellena alors que nous savons toutes que faire un parfum relève d'un parcours long et complexe. Une note doit jouer son propre rôle et introduire la suivante dans la pyramide et dans First tout semble évident.
F1rst, the only one !!!

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

Simply Amazing!

reignydaze
reignydaze

@Orsyna No civets are "tortured" these days dear they use a synthetic copy.

birdy
birdy

EDP well done perfume love it!

meugie
meugie

In the years 80 and early 90’s was one of my favorites, beside Opium, Poison, L'Air du Temps and Anais Anais.
I have a little bit left of the original and a bottle of the new one, both EDT.
Obviously there are differences, since the raw materials have changed. In my opinion the old is more elegant. But the new one may be a very good perfume and is a classic in the closet of an elegant woman (person) and not too young.
The aldehydic output is still amazing, giving the fragrance a wonderful intensity and brightness. A beautiful air of French perfume, traditional and old fashioned.
On my skin, stands out the civet, which means in the Brazilian summer is excluded its use for me.
Among the flowers (in my brunette skin) stand out jasmine and hyacinth, which combined to the musk is quite to my taste. The honey gives a slightly sweet air.
I can't distinguish any of the fruit notes.
Moderate Sillage and good length. I like very, very much.

DR521
DR521

I have three versions of this: a mini of the original EDP, an undated EDP refill that seems to be from the 90s, and a recent card sample I picked up on Ebay. The original is an aldehydic, deep, expensive-smelling scent that seems loaded with indole that goes a little harsh on me. I think it must have been damaged in the thirty some year journey to me. The refill is a gorgeous polished aldehydic jasmine in the vein of Chanel 5 that smells of sophistication, class, and has an incredibly smooth composition that goes seamlessly from phase to phasse. It's juice is dark golden in color. The new tester is soapy, raspy, and lacks the feeling of polished quality that the middle one has. It's basically a drugstore perfume whereas the original is a gorgeous tour de force. I'm going to do more testing but I fear the newer formulation is much cheaper and much worse.

boruvka44
boruvka44

First is luscious. Elegant to the maximum, feminine, rich floral soap perfume.
Neither artificial or frigid cold or impersonal.

As the richness and fullness of this kind of perfumes suggest - it perfectly decorates the contrasting style - sober casual elegance (or just classic jeans and top, clean style without a tangle of colors and shapes).
It´s for grown up girls.
For everyday use, any ocasion.

EDT: The advert picture of the flacon hanging on a stem is perfect impression, white-golden-green. Dry, clean smell of deluxe soap, yellow narcissus, hiacynth, civet, sandal wood and a hint of oakmoss.
EDP: Richer, thicker, less aldehydes, added sweet honey and dried raspberries; and civet, that is not animalic but gives it warmth and feels like velvet.

Since i got First, i got rid of like 7 other classical perfumes, I had no use for them anymore.

andreabutler111
andreabutler111

I have this it was bought for me by my husband and it has been in a box along with channel no 5 and Arpege.
Wasted on me, just not suited to me at all.

polarisking
polarisking

It's true, the first thing you smell in the EDP are the aldehydes and civet, but it is a fleeting feeling, and there's nothing shocking or disgusting in this as in other perfumes. It's like a spot that lights up to give out to a hollywood star. It is incredibly sweet and pleasant after the first printing. Fruit flavors of blackcurrant and peach alongside the narcissus as dominant floral notes mixed with citrus (bergamot mostly) nicely balanced sweetness, ... the first thing that comes to mind is: class, personality, elegance, grace, refinement and sensuality at the same time. In the drydown: Honey, tuberose, jasmine and roses dance tours throughout the graceful necks bearing this fragrance without competing with each other. green notes bring some freshness, resting in amber and sandalwood, softened by vanilla. It is a very complex and rich fragrance that lasts for hours without tiring. A very versatile fragrance that can be used both in important meetings as an intimate date, what more could you ask for? ...

Caroleworthy
Caroleworthy

I liked the review that identified 'opulence' so right!

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

This was a blind buy for me and I am not disappointed unlike so many other of my blind buys. I love the feeling of opulence that this perfume gives me. I agree that if precious gems had a smell this is what it would be like. Beautiful and truly feminine. No one note shouts out at me instead I get a softly played piano with a velvet sky in the background. Elegant, classy and refined. Beautiful. I am so glad that this gem is in my perfume wardrobe now.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

I purchased this for my grandmother. I was excited to give it to her... until I entered her home one day to realize that she uses it as a room spray!

It is soapy, yet very well done - in the same style as No. 5. I better put my No. 5 in a safe!

stormyla
stormyla

I've had a few mini bottles of this fragrance for a while but never got around to trying any of them. After reading all of the great reviews here, I decided that it was long past the time to do so.

Initially I tried the EDT. It had almost no projection on me and disappeared within 40 minutes. Upon inspection, I noticed that the liquid in the bottle had a cloudy appearance and I suspected that it was old and had deteriorated.

A second search of my mini stash disclosed a quarter ounce unopened bottle of the parfum. Now this was an altogether different experience. This is indeed a very pretty fragrance. It seems formal and lady like. It brought to mind Miss Dior and also the floral stages of Bal A Versailles.

On me the parfum fragrance lasted about 3 to 4 hours. The sillage was moderate. This is a very nice fragrance but I prefer something longer lasting with a bit more wattage.

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

This is a classical perfume and i just love its bold aldehydic start. It's rich, it's strong but not sharp, doesn't feel synthetic but properly 'perfumey' just as i like my fragrances to be. However i have problem with base -- it's just too sweet for my liking. I feel like that dreaded raspberry presents it itself in the low notes and combined with the honey, tonka, etc it created a syrupy effect. It's still wearable but i wouldn't repurchase.

girl1000
girl1000

I wanted to like this, but it has one note that smells like sourdough bread that I can't get past. That one note ruins the entire composition.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

So, this is a floral aldehyde. It starts out with lemon-narcissus, then transitions to a hyacinth-lily combination. I definitely get a green freshness throughout, until it dries down to a lightly earthy musk.

I'm not a huge white floral lover, but this one is nice. Somehow, I feel like I'm missing something--ether the version I'm trying (a carded sample) is a newer, watered down version, or my nose (or chemistry) isn't sensitive to the nuances of First. It does manage to convey sophistication and class, and has the character of an older fragrance with it's many layers, development over time, and heavy use of florals.

Enjoyable, interesting, classy. Worked well with a tailored kelly-green dress, heels and pearls for church. Sillage was fair-modest, longevity about 5 hours. Certainly worth experiencing; I'm not sold on buying a bottle.

oldnose
oldnose

Wow! I blind bought the EDP based on the notes and reviews and I was not disappointed! This is a fabulous, sophisticated and complex scent. In the beginning, it is very similar to Chanel #5 edp on me, but with softer aldehydes that fade very quickly, (unlike Chanel #5) and lovely mandarin orange. Then the knockout florals, jasmine, rose, carnation, (so many and so well-blended I can't distinguish them all) completely transported me to Nirvana! The dry down is not at all musky or dirty on me, it is just lovely honey and vanilla. My skin eats fragrance, so I was very pleased with the sillage which was about five hours on me. I pray they don't reformulate this masterpiece. It is already one of my favorites!

tourmali45
tourmali45

That's how I imagined what a 'Perfume' was in my childhood. I couldn't tell any notes, but I knew that it had to invoke the picture of refinement and elegance, dry effortless power to turn heads and capture hearts. Everything above stated I can apply to First. My vintage parfum is the first of many bottles of this gem, I hope. Wonderfully old-fashioned, not for everyone.

Gilbo
Gilbo

Such a wonderfully sophisticated, elegant fragrance. Whenever I wear this I feel empowered. Whilst not a 'sexy' fragrance, it is nonetheless the epitome of class. I think I am lucky; I know several people for whom this fragrance doesn't work, but I enjoy every minute of wear I get out of it. Living in NZ, it is not that easy to find in stores, so I keep a sharp eye out for good online offers. An absolute classic.

joliecat
joliecat

I was so anxious to try FIRST, after reading these reviews ! Now I have it, and Oh, HONEY !!! I'm in HEAVEN ! This is SUCH a rich, classy, deep, royal fragrance ! Recently, I was suprised and happy to find an original 1976 bottle of FIRST EDT in a local antique shop. It is a splash, with a stopper top. It's SO GORGEOUS, with rich, deep moderate projection and it lasts forever until I wash it off !

I have been trying FIRST for several days now, completely lost in a wonderful world of true luxury every time I wear it. Rich fruits and florals are wrapped in lush honey, lightly spicy, warm, with just a touch of civet for longevity.

On me the drydown is lightly powdery, and DEEP RICH GOLDEN HONEY is prominent from beginning to end. I have worn other perfumes with honey notes, and I love them, but none are as deep, full bodied and rich as this one. FIRST has a natural sweetness, not sugary or cloying. FIRST is the QUEEN of elegant perfumes !

I have noted that for me, FIRST is best applied sparingly, on fresh clean skin. Otherwise, it can develop a slightly sour musty aspect, with the civet a tiny bit too strong.

I am anxious to try a spray on version of FIRST, and I wonder if the later versions are still true to my original vintage find ?

Thanks to you ALL for your great reviews, whether you like this fragrance or not. I am thrilled to have FIRST in my collection !

Jerine123
Jerine123

Such a refined beauty! So elegant and simply gorgeous. Sophisticated floral for special occasions. I remember seeing it in Vogue when I was much younger and was so intrigued. Later, when I purchased it for the first time, I loved it right from the beginning. The name speaks for itself.

scentsforme
scentsforme

@new friend-
Please write it in english i want to know what you wrote.
Very curious…thanks new friend…
Are you a man or a women?…:)

new friend
new friend

فيرست من فان كليف آند آربلز للنساء
في البداية كنت أتصور أن الكتابة عن عطر نسائي ستكون أسهل مما هي عليه الآن بعد البدء في الكتابة والتجربة العملية.
ماذا أختار؟ عطر حديث! عطر كلاسيكي! عطر مشهور ! عطر نيش غالي ونادر
سأختار ما يدور بذهني فأنا لا أستطيع أن أطرده عن بالي طوال فترة التفكير
عطر فيرست من فان كليف، نعم إنه يستحق أن يكون البداية بالنسبة لي.
عطر كلاسيكي صدر سنة 1976م، والأنف وراء هذا العطر هو جان كلود إلينا، صاحب عطر ديكلاريشن الشهير من كارتييه، والشهير جدا تيغ ديغمس (تيري دي هيرمس) وعطر فوياج، وأغلب عطور شركة هيرمس (ايرمس)، فرديدرك مال، ولارتيسان، وديفرنت كومباني.
ورغم مضي مدة طويلة من الزمن على إصدار العطر لكنه ما يزال يحظى بالكثير من الرواج إلى يومنا هذا.

مزيج رائع من المكونات يندر أن يجمعه عطر واحد.

الافتتاحية: الكشمش الأسود " عنب الثعلب الأسود " – الخوخ – الألداهايد – اليوسفي – برجموت – التوت الأحمر البري

القلب: الياسمين – جذور السوسن – الأوركيد – ورود – زهرة التيوب "مسك الروم" – زهرة القرنفل – زهرة السوسن الأصفر – زنابق الوادي – زهرة اليالنج – الهايسنث (نوع من الزنابق)

القاعدة: المسك – العنبر – خشب الصندل - العسل – الفانيليا – مسك الزياد – فول تونكا – الفيتيفير – طحلب السنديان.

توليفة كبيرة بالفعل تضم (25 مكون ومادة عطرية)، فنحن بالفعل أمام شفرة بحاجة لمن يفك رموزها.

من يا ترى سيأخذ الانطلاقة في هذا العطر؟ لنبدأ ونرى..

البداية ستكون بمجموعة كبيرة من الفاكهة:
والفاكهة المستخدمة منها ما هو حار كالكشمش الأسود، والخوخ.
ومنها المنعش: كالتوت البري الأحمر،
ومنها الزهري: كالمندرين "اليوسفي".
وكذلك الحمضي: كالمندرين "اليوسفي"، والبرجموت

ثم يأتي دور الألداهايد هنا في المقدمة بشكل رائع لأنه كان من الممكن أن يجعل وجود هذه المجموعة الفاكهية من العطر عطرا فاكهيا ساذجا، ولكن جاء هذا البارع جان كلود إلينا بالدفع بالألداهايد لوقف هذا الزحف الفاكهي بصورة تشبه ما حدث في شانيل 5، مع الفارق هنا لوجود هذه العاصفة الفاكهية اللذيذة، فلا تظن أنه سيكون خانقا كما هو الحال في شانيل 5. كذلك روعة الألدهايد كونه يمتزج بجمال مع الفاكهة الموجودة معه في الافتتاحية وكذلك الأزهار التي ستملأ منطقة القلب.
فالألداهايد هنا يمثل همزة الوصل بين الافتتاحية الفاكهية والقلب الزهري.
ونفس الدور قد لعبه وجود الخوخ هنا كان للسيطرة على الافتتاحية وللتمهيد الجيد لدخول الأزهار وهذه أهم ميزات رائحة الخوخ.

نحن إذن أمام افتتاحية فاكهية ولكن بسمات: زهرية، منعشة، دافئة. متوازنة بشكل احترافي رائع.

هذا التمهيد الرائع لا أعتقد أنه سيدوم وحده طويلا فسرعان ما ستظهر شخصية العطر الزهرية الحادة بل والعنيفة، هل يمكن أن تكون للزهريات هذه الصفة؟ في هذا العطر أعتقد نعم.

زهري بجدارة ولكن ليس عفويا إنه مختار بعناية

الياسمين: دافئ مثير يعمل على التوازن المزاجي والشعور بالسعادة.

زهرة الأوركيد: ذات رائحة حلوة ونظيفة تشبه الفانيليا في بعض الأنواع

زنابق الوادي: رائحة ناعمة تشبه الياسمين مع لمحات خضراء

Hyacinth: زنابق العنب: رائحة مكثفة زيتية عشبية مسكرة عميقة، تنتج رائحة جميلة عند اتحادها برائحة مع رائحة الياسمين وزهر البرتقال، البنفسج، مسك الروم، زنبق الوادي والنرجس.

إلى هنا والعطر زهري ناعم وهذا ما لا يريده جان كلود فكان الدفع بهذه الأزهار العنيفة القوية

Orris Root: جذور السوسن: عشب أخضر يشبه زهرة البنفسج لكنه أكثر نفاذية منها، وكأن جان كلود لا يريد هدوء البنفسج ورقته هنا.

Tuberose: زهرة مسك الروم: زيتية ثقيلة قوية نفاذة تمتاز رائحتها بالثبات، تستخدم في زيوت وكريمات الشعر.

Carnation : النرجس: رائحة قوية وغنية، مهدأة للأعصاب، وتساعد على الشعور بالتخلص من التعب والتخلص من أعراض الصداع.

Ylang-Ylang : ايلنغ: زهرة ذات رائحة قوية وثقيلة حلوة، ذات تأثير إغوائي ومهدئ جيد للأعصاب، بها لمحات من الياسمين وزهرة البرتقال.

Carnation: زهرة القرنفل: زهرة ذات رائحة حارة لاذعة.
وهنا كان من الممكن أن يتحول العطر تحت تأثير حرارة وقوة زهرة القرنفل لعطر كلاسيكي ويكفي فقط أن تضيف لهذا الخليط الفلفل الحار لتنهي انتماءه النسائي للأبد
فكان هذا المكون الساحر الوحيد ربما الذي له تأثير على كبح جماح قوة وحرارة زهرة القرنفل وهو:

Rose: الورد البلدي: ملك الأزهار بلا نزاع، الشعور بالحياة، ملطف وذات رائحة يمكن أن تكون نكهة غذائية، تصنع منها أنواع من المربي وتدخل في نعض نكهات الأطعمة.

وبهذا يكون قلب العطر زهري عاصف: يجمع بين الدفء والنعومة والحلاوة، والتوازن المزاجي والهدوء، مع النفاذية والقوة والحرارة والثبات الممتاز.

القاعدة: وهي تضم: المسك – العنبر – خشب الصندل - العسل – الفانيليا – مسك الزياد – فول تونكا – الفيتيفير – طحلب السنديان.

نحن هنا أما مجموعتين أيضا وهذه ربما سمة العطر التوازن والتناقض بين قوتين ومجموعتين يتداخلان ويمتزجان ببراعة جان كلود.

المجموعة الأولى: الدفء – السكرية – الإغواء – البودرية: ويمثلها:

Amber: العنبر النباتي "الكهرمان": ذا رائح حلوة، راتنجي لزج، مريح، ودافيء.

Musk: مسك الغزال: ذا رائحة دافئة إغوائية، ثابتة لا تتبخر بسهولة، متناقض الانطباع ما بين الخفة والثقل والبودرية.

Honey: العسل: رائحة سكرية دافئة ذات ملامح زهرية وهذا ما يميزه عن السكر والكراميل كرائحة سكرية.

Vanilla: الفانيليا: من فصيلة التوابل، ذات رائحة حلوة دافئة كما هو الحال في العنبر، تشعرك بالارتياح والهدوء، تميل للرائحة الزهرية، ذات نكهة طيبة تثير الشهية.

والمجموعة الأخرى: القوة – الجفاف – الثقل

Sandalwood: خشب الصندل: أخشاب عطرية ذات رائحة قوية حلوة ثقيلة تدوم طويلا، رائحتها ذات أبعاد روحانية تزيل التوتر.

Vetiver: النجيل الهندي: عشب اخضر عطري منعش، جاف، خشبي، ثابت وثقيل يمكن أن يستخدم كمثبت عطري لغيره من الزيوت العطرية الخفيفة، يتحد جيدا مع الجلود والأخشاب.

ومنطقة وسيطية بينهما:

Tonka Bea: فول التونكا: نوع من الوابل، تجمع بين روائح القرفة والزعفران واللوز والقرنفل. يتم أيضا استخدام حبوب عادة كبديل للفانيليا، لها تأثير بودري حلو مكثف، تتناغم جيدا مع التبغ والعنبر وخشب الصندل والبتشول واللافندر.

Oakmoss: طحلب السنديان: نوع من الفطريات ذات رائحة حادة ترابية رطبة، كرائحة الغابات وقت المطر، مع مسحة جلدية طفيفة.

وربما كان وجود
Civet: مسك قط الزياد: يعطي رائحة دافئة تميل للزهرية.
لحب الغربيين لاقتناء الحيوانات الأليفة مما جعل رائحتها محببة للكثيرين منهم

فالقاعدة بهذا الشكل تعبر عن قوة العطر التي لا تخلو من اللمسات الأنثوية الرقيقة الإغوائية الفاتنة.
عطر فيرست من فان كليف ليس عطرا عاديا هادئا بل هو عطر قوي عاصف من أوله لآخره، يحمل شخصية كارزمية قد لا تعجب النساء اللاتي لا يحببن الروائح القوية التي ربما تذكرهن بصرامة وحزم الأمهات وربما الجدات.
ولكن لا يمكن أن ينكر أحد أن هذه السمات أيضا تجذب عددا لا بأس به من النساء ذوات الشخصيات القوية والمميزة.
قد لا تتقبل (تتقبلين) العطر لقوته ولهذا التناقض البارع الذي يميز العطر ويسير معه من أوله لآخره، ولكنك أبدا لا يمكن أن ترفض (ترفضي) العطر لردائته أو لخلل في توليفته، وحتى كونه عطرا قد أصدر منذ فترة من الزمن فهذا لا يثني من تعجب به أن تقتنيه بل وأن تجعله توقيعها الشخصي لسبب بسيط، أن العطر مع مرور الوقت لا تقتنيه إلا أعداد محدودة نسبيا من النساء.
فمن ستعجب وتقتني العطر لن تشعر يوما بقدمه أو بشيوعه
الآن أترككم مع العطر وتجربتكم الشخصية له – إن أحببتم..

Pooja37
Pooja37

*Starry eyed love*

Wore this for a while nearly 15 years ago but I think I was too young to truly appreciate this little marvel of a fragrance back then.

Fast forward to today... didn't realize how much I missed this until I received this once more, as a gift today. One whiff and I am transported to olfactory heaven!

A beautiful happy scent. This will definitely be my signature daylight fragrance from now on. Makes me feel more alive, sparkly and so grateful for all the good things the world has to offer!

"Happy dance"

Lajanne
Lajanne

My favorite! I always come back to this fantastic classical scent.

katiesweetpea
katiesweetpea

I got this as a gift pack with shower gel and it is mega sweet and powdery. didn't use it all.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

MEN LOVE THIS...!!!
I have only found a couple of other fragrances that draw these types of compliments... Beautiful, Knowing, and Spellbound. All 3 are Estee Lauder fragrances and wear for HOURS!

----------------

How can words even do justice to a masterpiece? Just as in music, you must hear the symphony in order to truly KNOW what it is that you are hearing... this is a fragrance that must be breathed in, in order to truly define it. Elegant, refined, feminine, classic, a true work of art!

It never fails, every time I wear this fragrance, I receive compliments from both men and women. It is definitely one of those fragrances that has an air of sophistication, class, elegance, and creates a mystique about you that I can tell in the wistful look in the eyes of the people that ask the name of my fragrance. (Just this week - I was exiting the line at a favorite restaurant - and a discriminating gay man completely did a full body block where I couldn't leave the door, without telling him the name of this fragrance! It is like clockwork - people will stop and ask me what I'm wearing... so that may tell you something!) It works extremely well with my chemistry!

I wore this fragrance a lot about 15 years ago and it was in my line up with Estee Lauder Fragrances of "Beautiful" and "Knowing". On the continuum of my private collection of favorite perfumes -- "First" is a fragrance note that falls between the sweetness and floral of "Beautiful" - and the depth and passion of "Knowing". It seems to be a "happy medium" of floral and spice.

For years, I have worn "Beautiful" as a signature fragrance, but recently decided to start wearing more fragrances and creating more depth in my fragrance wardrobe. "First" is a beautiful addition and with the compliments that I receive, it may just become my "Signature Fragrance".

It is a classic. Very distinguished. Lovely.

With my chemistry, this fragrance becomes ageless and timeless. But then again, I tend to be able to wear heavier fragrances - and wear them in a way where they are still youthful, even though some Fragrantica review divas state that these fragrances are typically "more mature".

In Southern California, there are entire shelves of retail shops dedicated to the sickeningly sweet lighter cotton-candy fragrance notes of today. "First" is a cut WAYYYYyyyy above that. Just like a lot of the heavier fragrances of the 1980's, I think a number of people who have grown used to shopping in stores like The Body Shop and Victoria's Secret - where they are used to the lighter/sweeter variety of fragrance notes of today, may feel overwhelmed by a deeper, richer-noted fragrance.

I think on the right woman, any age could wear this -- however, a certain level of sophistication is required. Some fragrances wear the woman. Just as with "Knowing" and "CoCo" Channel -- "First" requires that a woman have enough substance to wear the fragrance, and NOT be worn by it. (I'm trying to say this in a "nice" way... but there are definitely women who can pull this off, and women who shouldn't even attempt this.)

Just as not every woman can play the role of different leading acting roles, there are very few women who can really pull this fragrance off, without looking as if they are wearing another woman's fragrance.

Wear this only if you have the panache' to carry it off. It is a fragrance that could easily wear the wearer... unless they have the personality and traits to pull this off.

This is a fragrance that separates the QUEEN from the Princess. Sometimes youth takes awhile to fully mature and marinate to a position where she can acquire this level of depth. This fragrance is very much like that. It is complex, deep, and mysterious... these are traits very seldom found in youth... but a rare woman could pull this off at ANY age or stage.

First could be worn for business and pleasure equally well.

---------------

The first spray of this goes on STRONG!!! I would spray this a good hour or so before any meetings or events with other people... if at all possible. The fragrance settles down after the first 30 minutes to an hour - and really blends well with my chemistry. It grows much sweeter and has a more "musky" presence as the day goes on. This stays on for hours and is one that is phenomenal in the jacuzzi test at the end of the day in the gym. This turns into a fabulous broth with my chemistry and still smells very alluring and sweet even after the jacuzzi!

diva90403
diva90403

It remindes me of my grandmother in the 80s. On my skin it smells just like Pani Walewska Miraculum for women which my grandmother wore and which she gifted to every female member of the family on special occasions. All I get is Lily of the Valley. I really don`t like to classify fragrances into age classes but this one is simply 70+ (for me).

LauraB425
LauraB425

Just opened the package containing a vintage pure parfum mini (about 3/4 full) from Ebay and I am *thrilled* with this blind buy. Closest thing I've found to my beloved Chanel 22, and I only paid ten bucks for it! Wow. This is lovely, and it will last a long, long time. One tiny dab on the wrists and it's *delicious*!!! Wow, I can't get over how similar this is to Chanel 22 - I mean, it's not the same, but it's very similar, perhaps a bit less powdery. I still prefer my 22, but this is very nice, and I'm a happy girl. <3

Note: Sitting here smelling it for a while, I would almost say this could be described as a cross between Chanel 22 and Bal A Versailles . . . stronger than the Chanel (I think that's the civet), and a bit less "bite" than BAV. Interestingly somewhere in the middle. Hoping the drydown will be a bit more powdery . . .

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I wore this in the 80ies and have wonderful memories of it..years later, I saw a set and didn't even think twice! LOL! So nostalgic for me..beautiful fragrance..always great

9-na
9-na

Vintage. What I enjoy about First is the way it's giving me icy air and wonderful greenness while staying warm. Powdery? Yes. But full of that air, and the green, and a curious feeling of getting more alive than a moment before.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I have been enchanted by this perfume since I was 16. I worked in a shop that the owner gave me a big bottle and told me to spray it in the air every couple of hours..it was wonderful. She had bottles for sale and I bought a bottle of my own. It took me awhile to get through the bottle because I only used it for special occasions. I take issue with "this smells like old lady" isn't it more of a "when this came out ladies fell in love with it and they still love it even though they have grown older"? I feel it is disrespectful if my opinion matter. This is a TRUE perfume...solid, rich, very unique, beautiful. 22 years after smelling it for the first time, I am still enchanted.

Nicole<3
Nicole<3

lovely but just too sweet ,shame

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

I like it. It smells a bit like an 'old lady' but that is not negative to me. It reminds me of my childhood, being with my grandparents, i love them. I had a pleasant childhood with them. It reminds me of the afternoons with my grandmother, playing in the backyard with my barbiedolls, having no responsability what so ever, enjoying the spring weather, oh it was so beautiful. Now that's all over, but if I want that memory back, i smell First.

The primary note is aldehydes. Very old fashioned and powdery. I enjoy that note, it's in some of my other perfumes, it reminds me of great things. Not the sugary sweet fruity florals that are so popular nowadays. I hate those !

Oh and a note: there is NO AGE for this fragrance. I'm only 25 (but as i've heard sooo many times look much younger) and I would wear this with pride. I read these comments saying only an elderly lady would be able to wear this, that's absolutely ridiculous!!!! I also spray a lot when I wear perfumes, I would fill the room!!!!!

RGR
RGR

I remember being a little girl and sneaking into my mothers closet and spraying a little First into the air. Van Cleef & Arpels created such a spectacular & loving perfume!My favorite aunts used to wear this and now me and my cousins wear it occasionally.

Anyways, the sharp opening is so comforting to me because it is vintage in style. It even makes me remember my thoughts as a little girl sometimes. The flowers have this green aura.... a serving of fresh flowers and purity on a crystal and gold platter.Such an angelic bouquet which later develops into a "sparkling" warmth that accompanies me throughout the dry down. I like the vetiver and the creamy clean dry down. I think of fresh white bars of soap and baby powder. Very feminine!

According to current trends I'm still too young to wear it because women my age wear more floral gourmand type scents, so I might be the odd one here but I can only say of all the classic florals out there this is the one for me. Its not overpowering on my skin and I love the creamy dry down.

I smell First and think of all that is beautiful, refined and elegant. I remember the kind of woman I envisioned myself becoming. I guess this classic potion will forever remind me of that innocent, wide-eyed dream that only a little girl can conjure. I don't own a bottle of this, my mother does but I plan to have my own somewhere in the near future. I want it in the gift set with the accompanying body products. =)

MatheusPresotto
MatheusPresotto

For me, this fragrance remenber Elizabeth Taylor - White Diamonds

dezaval
dezaval

If white diamonds had a smell, it would be it! That sparkling and precious it is! A sparkling crystal bouquet of white flowers, like narcissus, hyacinth, rose, jasmin and lily-of-the-valley make it so luxurius, so feminine, so elegant. A classic one!
Did you know there's a Van Cleef "First" for men? It's as tempting as the women's one, but more masculine. A 40 karat white diamond. It's discontinued and extremely rare!

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

This was an absolute scrubber for me. The nausea it induced was almost unbearable. I have since learnt that the culprit note for this sort of reaction is 'civet' (and even worse when combined with aldehydes!) - common amongst other "pass me the bucket" scents like red door and Jill sander no.4. Now if I read civet in the notes, I run in the other direction - fast. Warning: test before you blind buy such an item.

joolzypops
joolzypops

I bought a sample from Ebay which arrived today.I really wanted to love it. I didn't. I actually felt like a fake wearing it. Even though I'm 40 it was too grown up for me. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough. I think I just cannot warm to aldehydes no matter how hard I try :(

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I love First. It is very regal and is something that puts me totally at peace. There's something about this and Chanel No. 5 that feels like a comforting hug from a very familiar aunt.

First is one of the fragrances I wear for myself. The blissful feeling it gives me is just too good to share. Same is true for Shalimar.

It is a soapy-floral with a bitter kick. I feel invincible when I wear it.

busik
busik

With the new release is no difference, despite the fact that the pyramids are very different. Just new sounds intense, still EDP. Old, killing a classic!

ADRIARICCI
ADRIARICCI

I love love love it. I've used it for year.. and do not think to leave it.. one of my favorites!!

HezFairy
HezFairy

First is just gorgeous! It is on a par with Chanel no 5... Classy, sensual, truly feminine and glamorous. Nothing tarty about this one - it is for the self-possessed young, or not quite so young, lady who knows her worth and has values. It inspires confidence. Some perfumes smell cheap even when they cost a fortune - this isn't one of them! It's fabulous!

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

There is so much I don't understand. I can't get why you put a perfume on and think it is too "old" for you, why people put age ranges on a perfume as though it was a child's toy. Not for under 35! Best for 36-45... Or why it would be so 80s. (OK, I get that one for Opium, and not much else).

Break your chains and live free! If a perfume smells good on you, enjoy it! If it doesn't work for you, don't. There is too much rigidity in this world that we can't avoid, no need to create walls and boundaries needlessly for ourselves.

I got two old bottles of original edt in an estate lot. Big bottles, one almost empty and one completely full. I'm so glad to have the full one, because my opinion would have been falsely ruined by the first bottle. The juice was fairly dark, let's say Snapple tea dark, and murky. It smelled ghastly. The aldehydes picked up the turned qualities and thrust them at you. I poured it out in the sink.

The second bottle was protected by its box and that it was full with less air exposure. It is much lighter, has absolute clarity, and smells like Heaven. I mean this could be the definition of gorgeous. The bottle is a splash bottle, and splash it did. I got a LOT on, but most of that was due to my preference to overapply. Very unusually for me, I could still smell it after lunch. I actually lugged that big bottle with me to apply later, as I usually do (but with minis) as my skin goes through scent like a dog with a steak. It was fainter, but the drydown, even hours later, was so interesting that I didn't want to apply over it. I did not think of it as primarily floral. Initially it seemed a delicious blend of civet, brightened with florals, honey and a hint of fruit. Then there was a sharp herbal phase. Later, much later, came jasmine. It was obviously there all along, but later it smelled like a far off garden of sweet jasmine. This is Perfume.

If one wanted a signature scent, this would be a good choice. It would work on a date, out to lunch with the girls, or running errands. It makes me think of Patou "1000" in how much I love it and the overall wearability. They may not smell alike but they act alike to me. When you compare cost, that's quite a compliment to First.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Like No. 5, Arpege, and Miss Dior, this is a perfume that one might show to an alien creature who wanted to know what an unspecified "perfume" in a novel or song might be referring to; First is an archetype of itself, a Platonic ideal of perfumeness and so aptly named.

First has serious presence but isn't quite loud. High volume beauties like Poison are hair metal frontwomen with deep but resonant alto voices while First is more of a mezzo-soprano torch singer with some darker honeyed notes--still very audible but with range, color, and (First's most interesting feature) separation to the notes while still forming a very solid wall-of-noise. Usually scents go for one or the other: well-blended or given to stages of development, but First has it both ways unto perfection. I am well-aware that I'm in the presence of an unpretentious masterpiece when wearing vintage First edp. The more recent edt is more chypre than floral and much less complex and interesting.

The aldehydes here are less soapy than those in Ivoire, Arpege, or No. 5 but still unremitting--a constant buzz buzz of an airy bee wavering over that raw honey base that bleeds through from the start. Some peach and other rich, ripe, but sugarless fruit bobs around the top and middle but fades fast. A heart of compellingly oldschool bright bouquets, powdery orris, then a stunning white floral melange is rich, earthy: a little waxy. The jasmine is pleasantly evil and taunting. Ylang-ylang and narcissus (daffodil) dominate overall (to my nose) and are almost softly cakey and vaguely gourmand when vanilla and tonka arrive, then the flower cake is buoyed and joined in a twinned-dominance by warm but not cuddly animalics.

I see many are surprised that perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena of super-understated Hermes fame composed this scent. Yet I can read his signature hyper-naturalness and quiet gloom here that suggests nature's indifference to human concerns. I get hints of Ellena's Angéliques Sous La Pluie even though it and First share no notes; their blending and development are similarly panoramic; olfactory landscape photography. It seems as if all of Ellena's later works are separations and distillations compared to First, which has enough to go around for three or four later Ellena-style perfumes.

In the drydown, a woodsy musk murkiness prompts visions of tree nymphs but without the mysticism or crunchiness usually associated with that term. These are the slightly deco Sleeping Beauty Briar Roses of artist Eyvind Earle (he did the backdrop and scenery paintings for the painstakingly-animated classic Disney movie).

Even in 1976, First must have been a conscious throwback to grand perfumes of old. The end of the 1970s was one of the first major retro-nostalgia mad post-modern times that was to precede the constant mania for vintage since, and First is almost a first of its kind in that way--a classic perfume that references all classic perfume before it (and maybe even since...).

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Green floral power chypre with deep dirty honey. Thank you, Jean-Claude! If a fragrance category called "power chypre" were ever established, this one would have been the "First." Get it? First? Ha.

SilvanaMo
SilvanaMo

se você tem saudades de entrar no quarto da sua avó, abrir uma gaveta cheia de sabonetes, você vai gostar desse.

moma4faith
moma4faith

This scent actually repelled me. I blind ordered it, tried it and couldn't stand it. The opening was very harsh on my skin. I wanted to give it a chance, so I waited. Each time I smelled my skin, it was horrible. I actually had to get in the shower and scrub it off - a first for me. Turns out, I must not be an aldehyde kind of girl. At all. I gave it a try later in the week and ended up sending it back for an exchange. First does not work with my personal chemistry.

nk05555
nk05555

When I first tried it the top note almost repelled me, I thought that it just smelled like old-time scented soap with a hint of some animal. But today I wore it for a long time and I LOVE the base note. Is it hyacinth? Reminded me of Anais Anais. I'm still not good at putting names on notes and wondering what this is...

mylancome

Update: Official answer from VCA, the EDP has been discontinue.

Debshee
Debshee

I used to love this but I got a recent sample and I don't like it at all now. I wonder if it's the formula or my tastes that have changed. Unfortunately, I also ordered a large bottle that I can't return. If anyone wants to swap for it, please send an email to dablee@live.com

KSBelle
KSBelle

You know you're a perfume addict, when you buy a fragrance just because it reminds you of an eccentric lady who comes into your coffee shop daily to tell you about all of the new drama in her life. That was how I came to know First.

First made me feel rich and eccentric. Just like the lady that orders her sugar free vanilla soy latte, with extra caramel sauce on top. I feel like I could go out and spend money with careless abandon. It odd, because at first I didn't even like it on her, or even the first time I sprayed it on my skin. There was a loud offensive perfume smell that made me think of a drunk beauty pageant queen, or wasted millionaires wife at the Christmas company party. Don't ask me why these were my associations, they just were...

Then, like many first times with anything....after the initial distaste and "never again", I grew to like it. Even crave more of it. So either I developed a more mature nose, or just accepted the fact that beneath my humble exterior, there's a drunk millionaire beauty queen just waiting to come out at the party.

I love it. Not sure exactly why- maybe because there's such a variety of random things going on in this perfume that all play together as one. Maybe it's because it's too much to grasp. I find that fascinating. Like other perfumes who found their way into my heart, it has definitely grown on me. Being a Fumaholic, or fragrance junky, it isn't my first, and certainly won't be my last.

mylancome

Try the EDT (can't find the EDP), doesn't smell like Chanel No. 5 but like Chanel Cristalle. Very green.

napoleonica
napoleonica

Oh God!! First used to be my beloved frag for more than a decade.It is the best floral aldheyde I have ever smelt.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

3 1/2 of 5 stars. The strongest notes on my skin are civet, black currant, jasmine, narcissus, sandelwood and vanilla.

First smells expensive and a sort of classic sexy. I used to own it and I liked it, but, I never loved it. It was one I never reached for very much.

The jasmine turned kind of sour on my skin, which is why I didn't repurchase it.

ellen1159
ellen1159

Liked this 30 years ago when I first tried it at the Bloomingdales counter in New York. But now that I'm in my early 50's I find it too heavy. In my mind I associate it with ladies of a certain age who lunch on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

amelie
amelie

I first fell in love with the bottle and then into aldehydes. First is glamorous, but very well balanced and easy to remember. It's melancholic and sophisticated. Another classic.

Jacster
Jacster

This is just about the only fragrance I like equally well in both the eau de parfum and the parfum.

To me it's the quintessential French fragrance - soft, rich, feminine, luxurious. It's a classic that reeks of quality and sophistication.

When I wear this I am elegant and glamorous.

Love it!!

claudja smeller
claudja smeller

É o tipo perfumão, doce, forte, ótima fixação, feminino, quente,chic, mas é muito é sério, para noites mais frias e lugares não tão fechados. tenho 42 anos e não usaria, pois não acho tão jovial.

45 and still too young to wear this heavy stuff. To my nose this is an old elegant lady-scent. Lots of powder and starts with heavy flowers. I'll wait 10 years and try again - maybe then.....

45 och fortfarande för ung att bära denna. Jag uppfattar denna som en doft till en äldre elegant dam. Rejält pudrig och startar med ganska tunga blomnoter. Jag får vänta 10 år till och prova igen...

gracious

First is very good fragrance, classic and expensive
I love it very much

drummagick
drummagick

Have a mini of vintage EDT. Wow, I really like this!

What am I smelling? I have no idea, but I do get a whiff of honey now and then. What a busy perfume!

Ok, on my skin I get: honey, berries, subtle white flowers, some civet, a touch of rose.

I'd love to have this in parfum.

I love the opening of this, but then the aldehydes start sorting themselves out and I get a strange odor I'm not familiar with and I don't much care for. But about 10 or 15 minutes after applying, wonderful things start happening and it smells nothing like the perfume I applied 10 minutes before.

The middle of this reminds me of vintage Magie Noire a little bit. It must be the honey and bit of berries and rose on my skin. I think I magnify whatever honey is in a perfume.

eta: Just received a bottle of vintage parfum. What a treat! It opens with a blast of bright citrus, and then I get another blast of what must be jasmine and narcissus together that I didn't get in the EDT. And then the beautiful honey note comes in. My chemistry loves this parfum. :)

lolitajade
lolitajade

Joy is pure Jasmine. First is a typically French smelling scent, most likened to Rive Gauche or Chanel no 19. I don't know where the similarities are but both wonderful perfumes in their one right.

mara_g
mara_g

This perfume is wonderful ! Very ladylike , sparkling aldehydes , fresh , flowery, woody , soapy all in one.
Younger at spirit than Chanel no 5, though not as young as No 5 eau premiere. A beautiful masterpiece and one of the best floral aldehyde out there!

artsyrn
artsyrn

This honeyed floral aldehyde is a radiant bouquet with raspberry tickling the arrangement. There are so many notes I have no clue how to isolate because they all seem to work together and dance and change somehow. This isn't exactly sweet, nor is this too strong either. Some aldehydes can feel aloof, but this fragrance is for an interesting, accomplished, passionate gal who is approachable and very kind.

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

I have on my right arm the new EDT in the white box and on my left arm the older EDT in the black box. There is absolutely NO difference.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Wow! This smells just like a florist's shop!
Green combined with heavy flowers, but without the earthy smell that would accompany a garden.
It smells very natural, yet somehow ... constructed. Like a flowershop.
It is very well made indeed, but I think it's a perfume for slightly more mature (oh, I hate that word) women, after all, I'm only 19.
I personally prefer more spicy, earthy fragrances, but I can certainly see why this appeals to so many women.
It's rich and luxurious and very feminine.

DarkClarissa
DarkClarissa

This is a wonderfully elegant fragrance. It reminds me of the era when ladies always wore hats and had matching shoes and handbags. They wore crisp white gloves and always used a linen handkerchief. That 50's elegance where ladies were never rushed but graceful. Audrey Hepburn meets Jacqueline Kennedy.

But don't be deceived into thinking that this is for ladies of that generation. It is for all of us who love and revere the exquisitness of that by-gone era without wanting to be stuck in it.

When first applied this is very sharp. It is important to let it settle. After about half and hour the full majesty of First starts to appear. It deceives us at first that it will just be an attractive floral, but slowly richer, warmer notes (not spicy though) making me feel like I am curled up in front on an open fire with a soft blanket wrapped around me. It caresses the skin

A very expensive, complex scent. Not for those that are looking for instant gratification. A work of genius.

EDIT: I wanted to get my son's opinion on this fragrance as he is always sniffing things and is very particular about which smells he likes and dislikes. He's always been like this since he was a baby. He's only 9 years old now, but I was interested to find out his opinion. I let him smell it after I'd had it on for about 15 minutes. I didn't ask him what he thought it smelt like, I just said, "what do you think?" He just said, "it smells like raspberries mummy." I was stunned! I didn't think the raspberries were that strong, but there you are! :)

karaaslang
karaaslang

this is my mom's signature fragrance, for many many years she has used it,two years ago I got her a new one from duty free and she told me the aroma wasn t the same, maybe they made a change in its formula, then to make sure I got another small bottle for her as well and she told me the same thing that this has nothing to do with the one she was using for the last 20 years so che changed her fragrance nowadays, she uses cabotine green-which has no resemblance to each other with the first* but they both are very strong and grand smells. first has a distinguished smell, powerfull, enigmatic even. very very glamorous, it reminds me hollywood icons..

monikagoodrich
monikagoodrich

I have it on as I write this review. It's lovely. I actually just bought the new L'Air de First, which is somewhat similar, but has a fresher, lighter scent. I abosolutely love them both. I am a former Rive Gauche wearer, but now it's impossible to find. Not to mention that the newer version is not at all as elegant as the original... I've been on the hunt for something to replace my signature scent, and I think this one does it! :)

ION
ION

"First" has the same "effervescent clean" quality one finds in "White Linen" but it is more floral and glamorous as impression.
If you are a woman who generally fancies younger men, this is the perfume to wear in order to be recognised by them ;-)

yelena.gorelova
yelena.gorelova

I met this parfum in 80. And that was love from the first sniff. I still like it and have in my collection.

jtd
jtd

Florals as a category often get maligned by perfume hobbyists. I think they’re considered quaint and that liking them demonstrates a sort of naivté about perfume. ‘There, there, darling. In a few years you’ll find your way to the chypres and leathers.’ I couldn’t disagree more, and First is my evidence. It’s true that well-executed florals tend to demonstrate beauty principally in the same way that ambers tend to demonstrate lushness and chypres, austerity. I think that Huge Florals such as First can hang onto beauty while giving complexity both in the moment and over time. ‘Floral’ alone doesn’t entirely capture it (there are aldehydes, hedione, woods, amber and civet) but if you must put a word to it, floral is best.

First is luxurious and expansive out of the bottle. The first sniff is just radiant. But over time the thrill is the way it moves from chord to chord so seamlessly. You don’t notice any abrupt changes, but the movement isn’t hidden from you either. You feel a slow, steady inertia as First moves out from its center. And while I agree with people’s description of First as symphonic, it is the dissonance that keeps me glued. Yes, aldehydes, white flowers and hedione give that swirling bouquet feel, but the civet, narcissus and I believe tonka focus on something dark beneath the bouquet. And since these elements are the ones that last, that beautiful morning feel at the start gives way to a glamorous twilight.

I know that First’s style of perfumery is considered a bit retro, and that, in general, the symphonic floral has been supplanted by simpler linear woody florals and the fruity floral, but First is still relevant. It is sweepingly gorgeous and makes you stop and think. This is the experience of perfume that I hope never dies.

Note: If you love Amouage Gold or Gold Men (I do) but can’t bear to pay the price (I can’t) try First. It is similar to both and sits somewhere between the two in tone, huge and bright like Gold, animalic like Gold Men.

patricia.martel
patricia.martel

I love this perfum!!.

jasmasid
jasmasid

A glorious fragrance. Alas, it lasts only 30 seconds, or less, on me. If it were cheaper I'd buy gallons and touch it up every 30 seconds. An uncle of a friend of mine used it all the time because he hadn't realised it's for women! I must admit it smelt fabulous on him.

pippab
pippab

I am disappointed by this fragrance. In my opinion it's nothing special. Purchased it online after reading glowing reviews, and it's not what I had hoped for. It reminds me very much of Madame Rochas which I wasn't nuts about either. I find it kind of boring. Nice bottle though. Power to all those who love it.

Maria de Lourdes Baialard
Maria de Lourdes Baialard

Meu grande amor...eterno amor...para sempre...todo sempre, serás sempre o primeiro da lista de meus perfumes....

paulie86
paulie86

I was very pleasantly surprised by this fragrance First is the perfect floral aldehyde! It opens with a light somewhat woodsy scent but the aldehydes are surprisingly tame. The opening is very sparkly then morphs into watery white florals, I get a slight soapy green peachy scent that makes me agree with other reviewers that First reminds me of a more softer version of Arpege. As the drydown begins I get spicy carnation a note that has fast become a favorite of mine. The drydown is also where I mostly get the honey, and black current notes that I didn't get in the beginning. Over all First is quiet but dominant at the same time. This perfume sits very close to the skin which makes me think it's supposed to be very personal to the wearer. First is very classy and refined not all dated or screaming out loud. As I was smelling it on my wrist it feels very familiar and nostalgic. Perfect fragrance to choose as a signature scent.

Sourneli
Sourneli

After my mid 20s, I started disliking floral sents but rediscover it in First. I bought it ~10 years ago and I found lovely sofisticated sent with hiddent floral aromas which was reminding me the breath of spring carring in the air the gentle sent of spring blossoms.
It is like going from liking to love, it takes time to discover new levels and the depth of the sensuality of this parfum.

junior halston
junior halston

This scent truly reminds me of my mother. Back in the 1990 their was a television sitcom called "Evening Shade". One of the stars of the show Elizabeth Ashley was on Late Night with Johnny Carson and Carson commented on her fragrance and Elizabeth noted it was First by Van Cleef & Aprels. That was all my mother had to hear to request a bottle for Christmas.

I did get her a bottle and it became her signature scent for many years after. It is a very well made sophisticated woody floral - I think Van Cleef truly captured their image in this fragrance - classic and very parisian.

belle713
belle713

First was my first! ♥ It was my mother's favorite so in high school, before I was willing to spend money on perfume, I always used hers... I'm never without a bottle and all the bath products although I've recently spread my wings and started wearing other things too... but First will always be my favorite. My husband and everyone close to me knows it as my "signature scent."

querelle
querelle

If Cathy Jamison (ie, Laura Linney in The Big C tv series) would choose to wear a fragrance, that definitely would be it. With that cheeky smile on her face and the "step aside people, I'm not kidding" attitude.
PS: And no, it does not smell 80's at all.

asmara
asmara

Whatever else I have in my range of fragrances - I always have First as well. I like how it melds with my skin's fragrance. I've worn in since '81. Funny to haer people say it is so 80's. I imagine that's true Is Patou's Joy so 20's, I wonder?

takeasniff
takeasniff

I would like to know if the edp is any better than the edt. I have the edt and it smells sharp and I just cannot smell any warmth which people are talking about. I am wondering if the edp has more depth or if they are pretty much the same?

gracious

I love First. For me VC& A are the great house of parfums.

moraine
moraine

The citrus-aldehyde opening made me think, briefly, that I had found an earlier version of Ivoire de Balmain. But instead of whisking us away to Eden, First detours us on a sleepy daytrip through the land of narcissus and honey...

It's always late spring here... A shy civet may peep at us from behind the ever-blooming hyacinth, but he won't be a bother. There is nothing to do but lie back in the soft, warm, ambered sweetness, nothing to contemplate but the long, lazy summer days ahead...

It's Ivoire Tendre.

eilismaireg

Oh sod it! Another perfume that wasn't for me a year ago is now absolutely for me!! Some scents really are seasonal to me and 'First' is no exception. I tested this today on a beautiful spring day, the smells of daffodils and hyacinth in the air in my garden. I went into town, sprized on 'First' and - wow, I'm in love! This is definately on my want list as a richer alternative to my favorite springtime scent 'Ivoire' and I will be obtaining some with immediate effect...!

I received the EDP of this today and it really is very special! A golden, rich and honeyed floral which feels VERY expensive. The EDT has more narcissus than this version, in which I get more peach. Absolutely stunning.

twillocks
twillocks

There is absolutely nothing I like about this. I accidently got some on my coat and now I need to wash it, the smell makes me feel sick to my stomach.

update: I really like it now after a few times wearing it you start to really feel the scent and it is like an understanding between the two of you that no one else has.

Sissi
Sissi

Let us examine two version of aldehydes VC&A First &
Chanel no 5 VC&A First has a harsh Aldehyaic opening
synthitic and volumed then chanel with it's more discreet and diluted silage In a few minutes V.C
turns to a soft floral scent with accords of black
current raspberry that leaves a sparkling texture
Chanel dries with neroli the note of bergamot dos'nt
overwhelm but still defind the senses ylang ylang
brings the velvety feel of no 5 orris root gives it
an earthy touch, V.C Is Chanel for the 80's a bit
Multi layered then Chanel no 5, A fruiter and outgoing sister aldehyde to Chanel which is reserved
and refind V.C and Chanel has the same Civet note
but Chanel adds a richer and deeper note of civet
then V.C.

Chanel exemplifies the grounded and pragmatic view of femininity while V.C is the Airy more romantic head in the clouds view.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Timelesss and classic are words conjured when I smell this fragrance. This is a big aldehydic floral scent, very civety, and it's opening notes reminded me immediately of Chanel No 5.

The beginning of the fragrance has high presence of Blackcurrant, this is the only thing offputting about this. But then, First morphs to a beautiful powdery daytime floral.

ReinaT
ReinaT

First is a classic floral. I have loved it for decades. It does have a clean, maybe even a little sharp edge to it on my skin, at first, but it definitely warms up. First smells very, very expensive! The good news is that it isn't! I think First is in the line of Boucheron, Chanel no 5 maybe, and other expensive feminine classics.

geegee
geegee

I was first introduced to this by a man who was 15 years my senior when i was 28. I recall him saying that a 'gent should never buy a woman shoes or she will walk all over him, a gent should always buy a woman perfume instead'.

That relationship didnt last nor my my preference for an older man but my bond with the house of VC&A did along with First.

On my skin First is a blast of freshness with the citrus being prominent. Its akin to walking in crisp freshly fallen snow, a slight crunch is heard as you press gently down with your feet & trees softly throw their white confetti as you stroll beneath.

After 30 minutes a smooth silky softness permeates with a beautiful warmess, i suspect thats the amber fighting for its dominance.

Dry down brings the citrus notes back once more but softened with the caramelised base notes giving depth, warmth & longevity. I say caramelised due to the honey marrying the base notes into a unique single note rather than then vying for their individuality.

A juice to wear when you feel or wish to feel strong & ballsy yet feminine with just the right amount of 'wench' lurking in the background.

nada
nada

classic scent. Like many other classics. on cold rainny day was just what i wanted to lift up my mood. Maybe oldfashioned, but only for those who are conscious - I am in twenties;) and i love it.

I know, this is a big classic, a sophisticate, classy, elegant, utterly ladylike scent and all this is good in my book, BUT... I would like to pass my wrist through the monitor and let all of you beautiful people at Fragrantica take part to my discomfort, just for review, and let you smell the way it smells on my skin: suffocating aldehydes, rotten flowers and a poo-edge... disgusting and rotten.
Too bad. I smelt First on many other women and let me tell you it smells great on some and very bad on others, but they still go on wearing it just because it is Van Cleef
I met a career big-ego woman and I could smell her from far away in an office. Her perfume was killing me and she immediately gave me an impression of bad taste, vulgar invasive attitude and no accuracy in choosing perfume.
She smelled puzzled, rotten with a big cloud of stinking dust constantly hitting on other people's head.
People around didn't have a happy face.
I asked her what she was wearing and she replied with grand manner: I'm wearing First because I'm always first one in life! Well... what's the good deal in being first if you are the first stupid in the world?
I think people should care more about the way perfumes really smell on their skin.
I don't wear First because my skin destroys it. Other skins make it bloom.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Oh Aldehydes, please be gentle, I have been hurt before...

I was beginning to think the very adult aldehydes were not destined for my wrists any time soon. And then came First!

I think all aldehydes smell a bit old fashioned because a lot of classics have been made using them. However, I don't think First is an old lady. It is certainly a mature scent but it is timeless & not so popular for 80 odd years that it cannot be worn by a new generation.

It is quite gentle & soothing, sophisticated. I am not sure I can pull it off but I hope to grow into it!

delphine67
delphine67

some one gave me this for my birthday. very classic scent. More for older woman to wear.It smelss very old fashioned

milena

I've had this scent since 2007 and I have to add that this is a very sophisticated scent. I have it on now and it totally oozes class, smells fresh and clean and a little green with a light musk drydown. Love it.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels, is in my opinion very classy and timeless. It is perhaps a little too old for me, but in regards to the future and much older me, I will be re-visiting First.

There is an obvious powdery aspect to First, rather aldehydic and along the lines of another Chanel No.5. However, the powder is not all that sharp. It tends to be quite soft and elegant.

Towards the drydown I detected an odd yet beautiful sweetness, which I now relate to the honey and vanilla notes. This subtle sweetness when blended with the delicate white florals, smells absolutely divine.

The powdery-ness does diminish ever so slightly when settled on the skin, making way for a more soapy finish. First to my nose, smells like an old-fashioned bathroom complete with scented soaps and floral-printed shower curtains. Strangely quaint, yet very likable and familiar.

One thing that we must acknowledge is the fact that this fragrance has lasted for over 30 years in the industry and has been crafted by the very talented Jean-Claude Ellena. I'd recommend this fragrance to anyone that loves powdery, clean or classic scents along the lines of Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel No.5 or Lanvin's Arpege. The quintessential fragrance for a true lady.

donna77
donna77

such a rich and complex scent.
i love it more and more even though i was a bit skeptical about it at the beginning

Alexandrarae
Alexandrarae

A very "night on the town" fragrance - always receive compliments when I wear this - makes me feel special - a "pearls and black dress perfume". Very classy. My favourite of the Van Cleef & Arpels range.

Amethyststar
Amethyststar

I was excited to get my samples of this fragrance, but I was very disappointed in it--it is nice, but nothing special. The florals are warm, not overly sweet, I can detect carnation but not hyacinth. Not something I would buy.

I fondly recall the day my former self broke into my brand new bottle of FIRST, purchased scent unsniffed, as was my russian roulette wont back then, and said (outloud): "I'll be saving this one until I'm seventy." I then proceeded to hide my precious 60ml of edt in the back corner of my armoire, where it would not be degraded by heat and light as I waited out what I thought would be the requisite decades before the fragrance would feel right for me to don.

Well, only a few years later, I have metamorphosed into a serious lover of floral aldehydes--and I am nowhere near seventy!!!! So it just goes to show you. You never know what may happen. On ne sait jamais...

I love FIRST. First and foremost because I love the crisp aldehyde opening. But I also love the evolution of this fine perfume into a big, hyacinth-rich multicolored floral mid-stage and then on to a slightly dark, chypre-dusted finish.

FIRST is much less dark and mysterious than ARPEGE, on the one hand, and less clean and soapy than CALECHE, on the other. But FIRST has its own distinctive wonderfulness, which inheres not only in the depth and breadth of its florality, but also the complexity of its multi-staged development trajectory. To wear FIRST is to wear a series of perfumes, which together add up to a higher-order creation. FIRST is not a fragrance; FIRST is no frivolity. FIRST is a perfume.

FIRST is a golden crown embedded with precious stones, and perhaps one needs to have a bit of a nobility complex to be able to wear this royal diadem comfortably.... Know thyself!

aromaminx
aromaminx

this is my summer fling fragrance. i have had 3 bottles and want another.
fresh floral and beautiful,fab for lunch dates at the beach.

eilismaireg

This is, without a doubt, unusual and classy- but not for me. I get big springtime daffodils the size of dinner plates when I smell this!!

Iulia
Iulia

This one is extremely classy and feminine. I was never into "aldehydic" perfumes, but this one has something special. Yes, I does remind me of Chanel no 5, but gets a plus for the hyacinth note. After this note disappears ,the base notes come alive and the scent is now soapy with a hint of flowers.On my skin it mainly remains a base of sandalwood, musk and vetiver.It is absolutely elegant.

bamboowu
bamboowu

This was my First love in a perfume, I have used this for many years and it is one of my 5 all time favorites. On me it is the most heavenly musky, soft, floral scent, when I want to feel extra classy, I reach for my bottle of First. Extremely elegant, I love it so much I admit I have 2 bottles of it. It will - always and forever - be on my dressing table. My favorite of the Van Cleef & Arpels fragraces. If your looking for a timeless classic, this is it.

mwater1
mwater1

First is for the grown and sexy!!! Forget those sugary-sweet teeny bopper fragrances so popular today. No, this is elegance, class, and grace all rolled into one. The beginning is a caphony of florals mixed with the subtle fragrace of adlehydes. Overall, this stage is reminiscent of a bouquet of tulips and lilies.

When I wear this fragrance I think of wearing Mikimoto pearls and Chanel suits. Luxuriously classic style comes to mind, we don't know how to do this anymore. The opening notes hold a faint aroma of both the raspberry and peach. The mid notes are again bursting with floral goodness as the flowers all meld together with the earthiness of the honey, musk, and vanilla. I absolutely adore this fragrance. I rate it 9 out of 10.

Jillzilla

Thanks to another fragrantica member, I was able to try a mini of this perfume through a swap, and was delighted to find that this classic fragrance works with my chemistry! I wanted to experience more of the fragrance, so I went out and bought a brand new bottle!

I can say that on first spray, the fragrance feels very fresh from all of the fruits, but it is not at all fruity. I definitely get a full blast of flowers. As the top notes soften, I begin to experience some leather notes, along with a green-floral scented soap. For me, the effect is a MUCH softer version of what I got from Miss Balmain. I know there is no leather note listed in First, but for some reason, this is the effect I get on my skin.

But as much as I love a delicate leather note, this is not the best part. My favorite part of this fragrance, and what I always wait for with anticipation, is the base. I smell a musky note in this perfume that I don't smell in any of my other perfumes. I think it is the civet note that I am smelling for the very first time, and I love it! Very green, soapy, leathery, and earthy on my skin.

preciouspetal
preciouspetal

This was Princess Diana's very favourite, and it is fit for a princess.
Definitely made for royalty, this one.
And it lasts all day and longer.

Berith
Berith

It's one of my favorite.
Classic, romantic, yet delicate, a bit fresh and a long and lasting base, giving you a femine feeling all day long!

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

Aldehydes are not mine, but nevertheless a good scent, fresh, feminine and a little strict.

barbiot35

to MK: yes, GFF Donna is one of GGF's frag (isn't in database of fragrantica)
I've bought it from strawberrynet 3-4 years ago, maybe discontinued?)
It's a very sharp floral fragrance suitable only for cold days or climates I think.

milena

Very classy and elegant.Very fresh and green oozes sexappeal,a must to have.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I never heard of this perfume until a few months ago. After purchasing a sample, it is now my new anytime favorite. Each note combines into a blissful blend of feminine perfection. Fresh, clean, pretty, soft, warm and seductive. Made for a woman, no matter her age. And again, my mantra will remain, good is good, etc... This scent is in no way dated. It's mature and classic, not made for little girls, that's all.

MK
MK

It is a very nice ,strong and feminine scent. A classy , charming perfume I've ever known! It has become one of my new favourite scents.
Excuse me , what is GFF Donna? Could it be Gianfranco Ferre's perfume ?

barbiot35

This is a classic floral, yes...It's a bit strong at first spray but in minutes it's finding the way to its character...First begins with a powerful ylang ylang and narcissus dominancy and getting down to a fresh flower bouquet in 10-20 minutes...
When I first tried it, I exactly discovered that First is very similar to GFF Donna, if you love it then you'll ike first too...

mandi
mandi

a very feminine and classy fragrance. i received a small bottle of this a present and fell in love, it truly a sophisticated fragrance. it's perfect for dinner or a formal event.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

A surprise ,I decided to try it after a sales girl said customers who like Madame Rochas like it. I love it , it's a joyful burst of flowers . I wish I could pick up the incense but this is a keeper.

weegee
weegee

I have this again after more than a decade and I'm loving the low, elemental hum of incense pulsing through the floral cloud of this very, very sophisticated floral.

The sharp cleanliness of jasmine is sweetened by the spice of narcissus in the topnote quickly followed by the incense of turkish rose all fruited-up by black currant buds. So far, so good and the drydown is even better: the mature sexiness of amber spiced with vanilla and teased by a slightly bitter vetiver.

Pungent? Only if you overspray in the mistaken belief that "floral" means "light"! It's actually very, very fresh & feminine with only a quick spray just below each ear and another into the top of your blouse. You mustn't spray a cloud of this one or you'll asphyxiate everyone in the sillage. A small bit goes a loooong way, making this a true bargain at several on-line shops.

A must for lovers of spiced florals without a discernable patchouli note in the mix - which I prefer, so I'm able to enjoy the patchouli as the catalyst in this beautiful, beautiful floral blend.

So unfair to equate classiness & depth of scent with "old"

hathor
hathor

i have had this perfume a couple of times, it isnt an absolute favourite, but i would consider buying it again.it is a grown-up, classy sort of smell, makes me think of the groups of expensive "shopping-ladies" that used to waft by in the cosmetic departments of department stores when i was a child in the 60's, types in fur coats and pearls. nice to wear in early spring.

delo4ya
delo4ya

This is one of my favorites! I have been wearing it for many years now. But I have to savour the essence of this wonderful scent. I can only wear it when I feel the most feminine and alluring to men. It is not an everyday office type of fragrance for me. I think it's too elegant. But I absolutely LOVE it!!!!

Garfield
Garfield

Very classic, sophisticated and particular; I loved to smell it on my mother and redecovered this perfume recently.

VioletLily
VioletLily

A richly warm and complex floral, First is such a hidden gem for me. It evoked many images: old world French perfumeries, an older, sophisticated woman dressed in a beautiful suit, or the smell of one’s skin after emerging from a warm bath, having washed with an exquisitely scented, finely milled soap and the lightest dusting of powder. This last image was what surprised me the most. I do not like soapy fragrances. Or powdery ones for that matter. The ones I do like with those notes are few. They have to be soft notes which complement the other notes, whether they be gourmand or floral. And this is how it works in First, and exceptionally so. It has a creamy clean sort of soapiness. And it’s just so, so smooth, which makes it wonderful to wear in winter.
I find First’s notes a little difficult to define and describe, besides the words: rich, opulent, and sumptuous. Initially, it reminded me of Arpege and Chanel No. 5, but not as overpowering as those two can be on my skin. First is not overpowering on me, as long as I only spray it once. Within the top notes, I mainly notice the bergamot and a tartish blackcurrant bud. The florals are a wonderful meld, pure and light with that gently soapy and powderiness, due to being mixed with the aldehydes. I detect jasmine and a touch of dry carnation. The base notes provide the most beautiful warmth.

First gets into me…I can smell it when I turn my head, a lovely soft haze around me, like being wrapped in soft, warm cashmere.

PS: I’m guessing I must have gotten an older bottle, I fortunately note no stale or buttery smell in mine.

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

I really love the floral top note, and the grassy hint in the middle notes.
But I'm afraid the base/drydown is a little too earthy for my taste. Reminds me of old incense.

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

This was created by one of the great perfumers, Jean-Claude Elléna, and seems to be inspired by Chamade. The freshness and vivacity of hyacinth and narcissus are warmed with sandalwood and vetiver in this first perfume of the jewellery company. First has a tender freshness and comes in a very original bottle. It is vibrant and unlike many other creations from the Seventies, it is very well-behaved and ladylike. A perfect scent for all elegant women!

golden
golden

I tried this on for the first time in years. I do remeber it being nice back then and of course it was everything i remembered it to be.
Elegant, beautiful, refined, classy , chic. This perfume defines what a really beautiful perfume really is. With it's sparkling top notes which then die down to a warm sumptious subtle awakining of subtle musk. It smells very expensive and i have to admit is now one of my favourites.

F_A
F_A

My nose smells too many white flowers in this fragrance...Sad to say but when i wore it, i couldn't help but think that i am somewhere in funeral:/

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

I own an EDP range. It is beautiful, elegant and classy. It is one of my aboslute favourites.

soirdelune
soirdelune

Hardcore 80s ... but so pungently floral and gorgeous! I have very fond memories of this scent, and who knows -- maybe I'll return to it when I'm a distinguished older woman!

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

I wore this in the 80's and I was always swept back to 5th Avenue, New York City when I wore it. It just exudes wealth. It's not for the young, or immature. Beautiful notes of peach, bergamot and carnation burst forth. Luscious honey rounds it out for me. A true classic.

esprit2fly
esprit2fly

First was my first "first class" perfume and it will be always in my top 10. It is a seductive fresh floral fragrance.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels 3.78 out of 5 based on 817 ratings and 155 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Van Cleef & Arpels First fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Van Cleef & Arpels First, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify First by Van Cleef & Arpels. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of First by Van Cleef & Arpels represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.