Designers » T-Z » Chypre Floral « Groups

Oriens Van Cleef & Arpels for women

Oriens Van Cleef & Arpels for women
dislike

Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Oriens was launched in 2010. The nose behind this fragrance is Bernard Ellena. Top notes are mandarin orange, black currant and raspberry; middle notes are jasmine and white flowers; base notes are patchouli, praline, amber and vanilla.

Mandarin Orange Black Currant Raspberry

Badgley Mischka

Oriens Fragrance Reviews

ceecee474
ceecee474

What an absolutely lovely surprise this is! This smells incredible, lasts and lasts, comes in a drop-dead gorgeous bottle that weighs about 5 pounds, and develops in very interesting ways.
I get strong patchouli in the opening, which quickly changes into a thick, boozy berry that is just delicious. Then some praline, also delicious. In spite of how that sounds, it's not overly sweet, just rich and spicy and yummy. And the village is good, projection quite nice. This is not a light, soon gone scent.
All this makes me very happy! A great perfume in a gorgeous bottle....and I got 100 mls for $32!
I give this 10 out of 10.

katushka37
katushka37

First of all I must say that Fragrantica photo doesn't do a bottle any justice. Van Cleefs & Arpels create incredible jewellery so it reflects in their bottle design. The scent itself is a like in my books. At first I get a burst of fruitchouli and vanilla, as if I layered Miss Dior and Angel...then it settles to raspberry jam and patchouli combo which stays fairly close to skin. Given how popular similar scent are I am surprised that it hasn't gained more popularity.

Sallya
Sallya

I admit there is a intital and vauge recemblance to Coco Madmoiselle but it disappears quickly. I do not consider this as a sister or even a second cousin to Coco Madmoiselle.

Oriens is much sweeter and the chocolate is distinct.
In my opinion it is more related to Elisabeth Arden Untold.

I would strongly recommend that you try before you buy.

Otherwise Van Cleef does great and longlasting fragrances that i enjoy, If you are into sweet an gourmandy fragrances this may be great value.

heybabette
heybabette

this is syrupy and sickly sweet in warmer weather, so i waited until winter to try it again, and i'm so glad i did.

the scent, for me, opens up with white florals, and after a few minutes, trails off into the most expensive box of fruit chocolates imaginable i'm so happy, as i was afraid i wouldn't be able to wear it - definitely a winter scent for me!

Lybarra118
Lybarra118

Beautiful, classy, sweet patchouli scent - hence the comparisons to Miss Dior and Coco M. However, the praline in Oriens makes it a more candied/chocolate-like kind of sweet in comparison. I suppose this could be considered the wintery long distant relative of Miss D. and Coco M. because the scent is definitely thicker, heavier and deeper. I love it.

Oriens is a well-blended quality fragrance in a gorgeous bottle. If you like slightly sweet patchouli scents, you'll enjoy this.
I agree with Juliana6 below, as her review is more detailed.

I would just like to double add that the bottle is absolutely stunning! Pictures do not do this elegant bottle justice. I'm so happy I've added it to my collection.

Juliana6
Juliana6

This is my first fragrance which has gone from the shelf "dislike" to the shelf "love".
It's like with the real jewelry -if you haven't reached a certain degree of maturity, you won't be able to really appreciate a gem or a jewelry in your hands. There is an age for plastic beads, bright rings which come together with your favorite chewing-gum (and they are closer to your little heart than any sophisticated collar or precious gem ring) and there comes the time you can't wear those plastic things anymore, you are a grown up girl who is looking for something real. And this happened to me with this scent. Now I'm grown up enough to appreciate this composition -warm, thick, sweet, oriental gourmand. Like a hot, strong, dark berry jam poured into a beautiful, shaped crystal pot. Next to this pot there's a white flower bouquet, which adds to the fragrance a touch of freshness and just a bit of honey. And there's a box of selected, handmade chocolate sweets,their scent (together with amber, vanilla and patchouli) lies in the base of this beauty.
I agree about Dior and Chanel vibe (and more-I smell "So elixir" by Yves Rocher) - yes, it's there, nevertheless Oriens has its own soul to discover when the right time comes.
The only problem -the lasting power and sillage could be better, but I don't mind reapplying.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

I am so delighted with Oriens. I like fruitchoulis on other people but on me they usually go acrid and I have a reaction to something in them. Whatever that something is, it is not in Oriens. And Oriens is a very nicely balanced and excellent quality perfume with a civilised sillage, a lovely smooth development from a fruity opening to a full fruitchouli and down to mostly patchouli. It is a bargain at the price too. I cannot wait to try some more Van Cleef and Arpels frags

lily13ana
lily13ana

I have a sample and is similar with Miss Dior Cherie but in the drydown. Is not my type, I wont buy a full bottle; has the same vibe with Euphoria but is more fruity

Magdalena23

Update on my review below. Well,after giving it a fair chance by wearing it a few times in a row ,determined not to let patchouli intimidate and bully me, I must humbly admit that it is starting to grow on me... A wonderful middle-base note appeared,sort of a warm,sweet,cinnamon-like spicy aura ( praline? ),which is so dreamy and cuddly and sexy and adorable...And it lasts and lasts and lasts....The dry down, always warm and lovely.On my skin, a pure honey note ! It's a "like" after all ! Go figure...

loada82
loada82

I dont like it that much.
First when I read it is similar to miss dior and chanel I was excitied.
After spraing it it was light and the smell was not unique.

Magdalena23

I totally agree with the review of ismellsogood . I feel exactly the same way! I really respect Oriens,I can tell it is a well blended,quality perfume,it smells expensive and sophisticated,but it is wrong for me... Too strong, too loud,patchouli -on my skin- totally overpowers everything! Patchouli and ginger generally don't agree with me,my chemistry always amplifies them,not in a good way,unfortunately...Although every time I try to get along with it and wear it I get compliments,I don't feel "at home" with it.Until it reaches the dry down,which is warm and beautiful,it is totally wearing me! Hopefully in winter I might change my mind.(In Greece ,we don't have a lot of winter anyway !). I love the bottle,I respect the brand,but this is so not me...

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

I get sweet mandarin over a patchouli base, pleasant but nothing to get excited over. There isn't anything in this one that I dislike, but neither is there anything to grab my attention and lure me in. It's just nice. I'm not crazy about Coco Mademoiselle or Miss Dior Chérie, so if you like those, ignore my review.

ismellsogood
ismellsogood

This is when I began to drift away from perfumes with Patchouli notes.

Would have been perfect without it.. First top notes are incredible but patchouli in the base note spoilt it for me.. Bottle is divine very beautiful and I am proud to own it.. I may wear it in the Autumn... but unfortunately this was a blind buy that I made another mistake with.. I really admire the design, the effort and it is a good scent just that patchouli and me are not best of pals at times.

miss mills
miss mills

Fruity, warm and sexy, nice for a cold evening. A very berry and amber scent on me, this one is fun and warm!

Water_is_my_life
Water_is_my_life

Bought this for my mom after reading reviews about this. I figured I was kind of gambling here, but my mom LOVED it! She said it was a very agreeable scent of jasmine and sandalwood...so with this I found out my mom preferred Florientals and Orientals.

I'm not sure where she got the sandalwood from, but I guess it's a mix of the patchouli and amber. It has a very complex smell, sweet, but fairly grounded as well. This is not by any means a light or bubbly scent, but it is very bold and mid-set. Not heavy, but layered and complex.

I definitely think this is a good perfume for mature women. In fact, my mom brought her bottle along to her elementary school reunion (yep, elementary school) just to "show it off" to her friends that she hadn't seen in around 30 or 40 years. I'm surprised that of all things she decided to bring, this was one of them. Well, I guess this shows just how much she loves it! :)

Van Cleef & Arpels itself is a really high end brand name, and this perfume certainly does this design house justice.

rosembloom
rosembloom

Finally, my quest for the original 2005 pre-reformulated Miss Dior Chérie has ended! Just got this with a bulk medley of frags from a cosmetician friend and am totally in love. Not yet sure if this could be my signature, but it sure makes my heart sing, puts a spring in my step and a smile on my face. Makes me feel cozy and feminine, a very classy, juicy, enigmatic and potent frag that will follow you everywhere and seduce those around you (lest you overspray... this is a potent one!). Juicy fruity splash that becomes caramelized, sugar dusted pralines. I am sooo in love. Shall edit! Wonderful sillage, great longevity and my friend loves it on me saying i smell like a fruitchuli candy :p . thanx guys for the reccomendations! You were spot on! one of my faves now that Spring is here .

Grimly Fiendish
Grimly Fiendish

The great thing about exploring perfumes is that every once in a while, you find one that blows you out of the water: this is one of them for me.

This is a very well blended sweet, fruity, warm and sensual scent. There is also a freshness to it, making it perfect for daily use. I've had some horrific experiences with patchouli in other fragrances, but it's perfect in here: not too overwhelming.

It somehow manages to be youthful, but classy and sophisticated at the same time. Because of this, it is along the same lines as Miss Dior Cherie and Coco Chanel Mademoiselle. I wouldn't say it's a dead-ringer for either, but it has a similar vibe to those two.

It's one of those scents that smells like you can only afford to wear it for special occasions, but surprisingly, it can be found for a great price.
This is a real hidden gem.

MandiPants85
MandiPants85

I really like this perfume, because it reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle EDT and that one is my fave (dare I say my new signature?) This one is a tad more womanly though, smooth and fine.

florianna88
florianna88

This is one of my favorite scents. On me, it has bursts of smelling like Miss Dior Cherie (original, before reformulation) and Coco Chanel Mademoiselle. On me, this is in the same class as Viva La Juicy although it does not smell like it. I always get compliments on this fragrance and it lasts throughout the day. It lasts longer on clothes than on my skin.

kossjenka
kossjenka

Warm and very comforting scent. I can imagine it on my skin in late September days when first golden colors appear on trees. Just on time to somehow bring me back a trace of summer in first cold mornings.
Fruity chocolate... If colors had scent - I would tell this is the orange one.

Yummy sweet scent, moderately oriental, warm & comforting. I like scents that are balanced like this one, I mean, not overloaded with sweets or patchouli or amber.
Base notes are magical, relaxing, truly beautiful. Recommended for all people who like warm oriental scents in winter.

Update: Very cozy scent. It's like a warm cuddle. I can smell mostly fruits, patchouli and amber. Incredible scent.

Update2: A bit too much raspberry though.

lalondem
lalondem

I smell Nina Ricci and Coco Mademoiselle in it. Maybe those 2 together smell like Miss Dior Cherie....love this new bottle of juice. Got a great deal at Winners...I think Winners and Marshalls have better prices than on-line sites.
BTW, why isn't Fragrance net delivering to Canada anymore? It was the best site! More selection and best prices. So sad they won't serve us anymore....

lirael00
lirael00

Okey this has immediately reminded me of a spice market somewhere in Marrakesh, where all the spices are mixed together, I could even hear the loud voices of the sellers etc. It was a little bit too much for me, but after half an hour the scent has developed and I could smell mandarins dipped into a chocolate. It definetly had become more sweet and not so spicy oriental. I don't know how exactly would I describe this fragrance. Maybe with a word crunchy? Unfortunately it doesn't work on me, but when I've sprayed it on one of my friends she smelled amazing. So, don't blind buy and first try it.

Covergirl84
Covergirl84

Super candy sweet, girly, playful, and LOUD!! Smells like someone spilled a raspberry current flavor syrup over a warm stretched vanilla scented rubberband.

rinamienamei
rinamienamei

I blindly bought Oriens tester & got Lanvin Couture at 50% off.. got these two today..I applied oriens at my lefy palm & lanvin couture at right..
Seem that lanvin couture win! I barely smell the crisp Oriens but keeps smelling the lanvin couture lingering in the air although I have sprayed them for hours..I'm winning at buying lanvin couture but not for oriens at full price

tstarshine
tstarshine

Reminds me of Alien, I don't smell the Chanel Coco M or Miss Dior Cheri connection. Great for some that like jasmine but not for me.

Tanyaoxo
Tanyaoxo

Loved the smell from the bottle, fruity and chocolate sweet with a citrus freshness about it. However it really warmed up on my skin turning into a dirty fruit-sweat kinda smell. Damn skin chemistry! I'm rather jealous of those who can wear this, I would have bought it in a heart beat

L'Arlesienne
L'Arlesienne

Honestly, no ressemblence to MDC on my skin. The fragrance I experience is a light, dry fruitchouli with almost no gurmand facets. A simple scent, very thin and dry. The juicy aspect of MDC is practically non-existent here. I get no pralines, very litle fruits. I have owned more than a bottle and gifted it each time. The reason of my discontempt? I used to be a MDC lover and this is no replacement, sadly, I cannot put up with it and pretend they're alike just because they both sport some patch and fruits. The only thing I think they share is the fact they both are perfumes. Ah, and, by the way, I am a fruitchouli lover and still I dislike this. Well, maybe dislike is to strong of a word. What I really mean is that Oriens is bland and instantly forgetable. Not for me!

peachypixie
peachypixie

It's like Miss Dior Cherie but so much better. MDC has strong synthetic, weirdly pungent fruit notes, while this one blends smoothly. The praline note balances out the patchouli note. If you're torn between the two, or you wanted to be a fan of MDC but just couldn't, try this one instead!

KaseyC

Sweet and warm. Very delicious to my nose! This is the kind of frag I can wear for the whole winter. For some frags, I cannot stand the opening and I have to wait for hours to the drydown that I love. For this one, its opening and drydown are just the same. The sweetness of raspberry in this frag is deep and sophisticated, not overpowering nor synthetic. The whole scent is feminine, elegant and young and it makes me smile.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I just tried on the sample of this I ordered online yesterday and I was also surprised at this fragrance which is called "Oriens" was not a strong spicy one but a more delicate gourmand. I work in a chocolate shop and the best way to describe this one is chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. Yummy, but not overwhelming.
The first poster says the sillage is strong, I didn't think so but then I went to work yesterday (which smells like chocolate anyway) so maybe I just couldn't smell it on myself. I plan to ask a few people what they think of this one, I think its a good winter scent, though the name is misleading perhaps it should be called "BobBon" or "Chocolate Truffle".

When I finally got around to testing Oriens, I was somewhat taken aback by its sweet, almost gourmand opening. Recovering from the initial shock, I realised that I rather enjoyed smelling Oriens.

I can see how some could draw comparisons between this fragrance and the now discontinued Miss Dior Cherie. They're both what I would call a 'fruitchouli'.

Oriens opens with sweet, syrupy raspberry, black currant and mandarin orange. The more this fragrance develops, the more chocolatey and rich it becomes. The praline accord is smooth but not overwhelming, and the patchouli although earthy, compliments the gourmand nature of this fragrance nicely.

Oriens is quite a strong scent, one that needs to be applied sparingly. Of course if you're familiar with Miss Dior Cherie you probably know this scent well already. The only notable difference is that Oriens appears to feature more fruits.

As I mentioned previously, the sillage is super strong, and the lasting power matches this. Oriens' chunky bottle is also rather impressive, probably more exciting than the scent itself in lots of ways.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

I can understand the comparison to MDC 2011, but in all honesty I love this and don't like MDC 2011 so I don't think they are extremely similar. For starters oriens is more spicy, I really like the choice of raspberry over starwberry, and it seems less "girly" somehow, not that girly is a bad thing!
Oriens serves of a kind of saucy spicyness from immediate spray. I get a burst of fruit and I pick out raspberry and tart pulpy blackcurrant note immediately. From the start this is not fruity in a fruity floral way, you can smell patchouli and praline from the base. The patchouli in here is different from the smooth tame ones is the miss diors, I have to figure that's where this peppery spicy element is coming from that can't be explained really by any other notes. The vanilla and amber add a richness to the fragrance that is nice. I prfer oriens over any miss dior/cherie or otherwise...but that' just me! I feel like this perfume has a lot of character.

greenteacherie
greenteacherie

I absolutely understand the complaints that this smells cheap and actually agree to an extent - if you asked me if this was a VC&A frag, I'd say no. The sweet praline, raspberry, patchouli mix doesn't scream money or sophistication, but it is a cosy, young, romantic scent that should appeal to gourmand-lovers. Love the dry down as well - a intriguing spicy chocolate. Sillage and longevity are both stellar.

irinalmazova
irinalmazova

I never expected such a bad job from this great perfume house. Cheap girly smell. Like plastic - I'm disappointed.

sky74
sky74

I tried it and it made me nouscious. So strong and suffocating! Did not succeed to wash it off even after 2 aggresive washes. How can this be compared to Miss Dior or Coco mademoiselle?

Oriens EdP. On my skin I can smell most Praline, Raspberry, Patchouli and Black Currant all thru the top/middle/base.
I don't like fruity notes but the Raspberry is dark and not sugarsweet - so in Oriens it works really good with my skin - big surprise. Its not a loud scent but it dances round me for several hours in a very nice way. A scent for the adult women, not for a teenager, in my opinion.

Oriens EdP. På min hud känner jag mest Pralin, Hallon, Patchouli och Svarta Vinbär helt igenom pyramiden.
Jag gillar inte fruktnoter men här är Hallontonen mörk och inte sockersöt och det funkar riktigt bra på min hud - klar överraskning. Det är inte en högljudd doft men den svävar runt mig i många, många timmar på ett väldigt trevligt sätt. En doft för den vuxna kvinnan, inget för tonåringen i mitt tycke.

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

The raspberry is dominant in the first few hours of Oriens. The praline gives a chocolate-y aroma. The drydown is a mixture of vanilla, amber and patchouli, soft and tender.

I wanted to like it. However, the raspberry note bothers me. It's not crisp and juicy, but more like synthetic raspberry flavour smell. Along with praline, it smells like an industrial raspberry cookie or biscuit, and sadly, not a home-cooked one.

Lala2013
Lala2013

The first five minutes of this fragrance are unusual, it smelt quite waxy to me,,,
But then it totally changes, there is a very small hint of Coco Madmoiselle,I can see why people say that,but the fragrance it really is similar to is Belle D'Opium but in a lighter cloak,it could be its daytime counterpart.Whilst wearing it the other day outside I could get wafts of what I thought was actually Belle d'Opium, but without the density.
Really pleased with this one and while its silage isn't huge it does stay on my skin many hours.

Edit- six months later, this fragrance has become a firm favourite, think I have fallen in love with it XX

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

This is beautiful kind of sweet patchouli. It wraps me in sweetness of pralines being at the same time fresh and light. It feels like my second skin even if it doesn't really stay close, it has pretty good sillage and lasting power is awesome on me. All these make it my perfect spring/summer scent. Sweetness here is tamed by patchouli and vanilla adds its own nice twist.
I was looking for similarities with Coco Mademoiselle but i barely find any. CM is much more intense, sharp and heavier. They both have own personalities.
Thank you dear fragrantica friend for pointing this one out :)

Aina Harryna
Aina Harryna

First time I try this perfumes is nothing special but after 5 minutes. Woww I really love this scent. This perfumes similar to that of Miss Dior Cherie. Lasting 12 hour. This bottle so beautiful!

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

The opening of Oriens is very similar to that of Miss Dior Cherie (2005), with fresh berries and patchouli, but it's a bit richer and slightly heavier, with added sweetness from praline. The dry-down is, on my skin, somewhat similar to that of Betsey by Betsey Johnson. Since I like both Cherie and Betsey, this is a win for me. Oriens is light on silage, unlike the other two, so it's suitable for wear in work or school environments. I don't think it's worth the $150 price tag, but the discounted price is well worth the buy. The bottle makes this one a must-have for collectors as well. Longevity is about 4 hours, sits fairly close to the skin for the majority of that time. I tend to like head-turners better, but there is a time and place for everything. This is a keeper for me, I like it a lot.

fara.idola
fara.idola

I have this perfumes and blind buy. Firsly I try this perfumes I hate this but after 10 min..it so sweet and I love it. This bottle so beautiful. Long lasting for me. Suitable to everyday use.

HelenAnn
HelenAnn

I have just had the good fortune to be given this perfume by my step daughter. It is waft of a summer garden breeze. So easy to wear, so fresh and not at all sickly sweet. I absolutely adore it and as it's in the sultry heat of summer here in New Zealand it's the perfect fragrance for every day. I notice the blackcurrant note. Love it absolutely.

Monikakaka
Monikakaka

Beautiful sweet fruity fragrance which manages having quite a fresh scent. It perhaps can be a cooling note of mint. Silage is soft/ moderate if sprayed lightly otherwise it can be initially too overpowering for some. It's a very sophisticated & romantic fragrance. Fantastic gift for modern women on Mother's Day for example.

eaudetoile
eaudetoile

I originally had a love/hate relationship with this perfume. When I first tried it on a tester it smalled amazing! But when I sprayed it on my own skin...it smelled like a cheap, body fantasy spray. I think the problem was that I was putting too much on. Anyway, I love this perfume now! It smells deliciously fruity and elegant.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

As other reviewers have mentioned: this is a very full fragrance indeed! A lovely sweet fragrance, but not sugarly/girly sweet! I think the patchouli and praline are recognisable on me the most! Very gorgeous bottle too! Top quality perfume!
It does remind me of Yves Rocher 'So Elixir' but this one is SO MUCH better!!! I got 'So Elixir' for free with a purchase I made. It's not one I would ever buy, but ''Oriens''?! I WILL definitely buy again!

ice_storm
ice_storm

Oriens truly shocked me when I tried it for the first time. It was so rich and it filled the room with its sweetness. It is overpowering at first. I wear it mostly in winter - not just because of its richness, but also because it is yummy, it remind me of loads of treasured Christmas sweet treats... At the same time it is very feminine and clothes me in an invisible very warm and luxurious shawl... that's why I have to look at my best when wearing it. It takes me to a different level. Also, for me it's not the 'light' kind of sweet, but rather medium to dark... evokes glamorous winter evenings with dim light and beautiful color all around...

lupereira
lupereira

I see this scent something between Coco Mademoiselle and Chance, similar Miss Dior Chèrie.. maybe. I dare to say that is a mature Coco Mademoiselle/ Miss Dior Chèrie. Very good fragrance, nice bottle, but sounds like a "replay".

mimikins24
mimikins24

I too got this on a great sale just after Christmas, around $45 for a 50ml spray and 150ml lotion. I must admit that the lotion does not smell much on my skin though.

First impression is that I love the bottle!! Yes it might be a wee bit on the tacky side, and it is definitely cumbersome, but the ackward cap is visually appealing and very different.

I don't know whether I would classify this as a chypre floral, as the fruit notes are quite dominant as well. In my opinion, it could just as easily be classified a chypre fruit.

It is definitely on the sweet side, but I do not find it cloying. Feminine, gourmand, chypre.

The opening is very bright and fruity, with the empahsis on raspberries and oranges. After about 1 hour, I begin to get the florals, in particular jasmin. The base has a bit of patchouli, but I find the emphasis more on the vanilla and praline accords.

Sillage can be too loud for me on first application, so I try to apply about 30-60 mins before I leave the house. The longevity is average. I find I can smell it on my skin well until I hit the 6 hour mark, and then it has simply disappeared.

I like this scent, but do not love it. I find it similar to many other chypres, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle EDT in particular, but at a good price point, this is a wonderful choice for this type of scent. Overall, good, if the price is right.

suhaesa
suhaesa

i got it for the bottle..be careful not to drop it for its very heavy and the cap doesn't close properly tightly...now that i have the bottle it seems a bit tacky..
the juice is sweet sickenly sweet ..white floral... warm spicy light oriental..its an elegant perfume for hose who love euphoria ck and alien and white fl orals ..which i really dislike ...
is a special dinner or date night perfume dressy ..

perfume rating 4 out of 5
bottle rating 4.4 out 5

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

A nice boozy, raspberry and patchouli chypre. It does smell like the Dior, but I find it less girly, less sweet. More classic. I think there is quite a difference between raspberry and strawberry. The first has that sweet boozy smell in perfumes, whereas the other one is more tart and fresh.

Here the blackcurrants make it smell sharp like raspberry alcohol or concentrate and it turns out not being so nice on my skin. It is definitely a bit more mature than Miss Dior Cherie.

The black currant note is really what sets them apart in my opinion.

When I spray heavily, I get a lot of real patchouli! A nice modern chypre, but I cannot wear it as I find it too sweet for me.

ketchup38
ketchup38

I bought this at a duty free shop on my way to the Barbados on Holiday.. and till today. Nothing else will elicit the wonderful memories I had on that trip like this perfume. The citrus, the fruitiness.. It all just tied in so well together.. Very be-fitting for the summer
So now when I wear this perfume.. I can only help but smile.
The bottle so eye-catching but yet so elegant on my vanity table..Even if just to adorn the table it's enough, but the sharp citrus followed by that sweet floral fruitiness also makes the contents deserve some attention . There is some similarity to Dior Cherie, but with less citrusy sharpness I must admit. I find Oriens somewhat softer and I prefer it that way. I would have expected it to last much longer than 5-6hours.. but for it's deliverance of my wonderful time in the Carribean.. I shall be making a re-purchase.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I sampled it yesterday in Neiman Marcus which is the only store that carries this scent in my area. Its a lovely scent but far too simular to Miss Dior Cherie. Fruity chypre is the best way to describe it. Another simular scent is John Vartatos-I own both so I don't see a reason to get Oriens(although its nice and the bottle is stunning).
One thing I don't understand people comparing it to Flowerbomb. I can't even detect a slightest resemblence but I guess everyone's nose is different. If it really was a combination of MDC and Flowerbomb, I would be tempted to buy it

Isabella1
Isabella1

So similar in the begining to coco madem. then it turns into dior cherie, flowerbomb and la vie est belle. Like they say "lady in the street", this is the beginning when it smells of coco madem. then after it dries it becomes "stripper in the sheets" lol like flowerbomb and those. I love all four, when I finished dior cherie I bought flowerbomb, and then I finished that and bought this, and now I will buy la vie este belle next, they all around the same price anyways. It is not original of course, but who cares, so many original type perfumes and they smell like crap lol. Yes these smells are like strippers, "sex and candy", but men love strippers for a reason, duh!

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

This fragrance is alright. I cannot describe it as it opens because I cannot pick out the notes. Unfortunately, the bottle seems cheap when I take the cap off. It looks expensive on the shelf, but feels plastic.

EDIT: A few hours later, I smelled the dry down. it is very nice - very warm, sensual, and well rounded. Unfortunately, the opening is not worth the ride for the dry down (even though it is lovely). I do not see the connection towards MDC. I think I had that misconception in mind when I tried it and can serve to explain my disappointment. Will try again.

****UPDATE****
I put two spritzes of this perfume on my neck yesterday and yes I have gotten the black forest cake smell! This is delicious and gourmand but not overwhelmingly so. I felt like a sweet princess

Anja_Karenina

PS. I really love all the notes listed on it but I'm not sure if it's accurate though! I barely smell the mandarin orange!

Oh yeah and this must be my favourite bottle out of all perfumes I own! I will definitely put it on display for all to see when I empty it someday...which is probably never! XD

Anja_Karenina

I bought this perfume in the summer after which I returned it because I believed it was only an impulse buy. I ended up buying this back but as set that included the 150ml body lotion and rollerball as I honestly literally CRAVED owing this scent. Isn't it strange? Ok this perfume is not majestic and sophicasted as CHANEL'S ALLURE and GIVENCHY'S ORGANZA, nor is it deliciously potent like THIERRY MUGLER'S ANGEL, but ORIENS is just down-to-earth and subtle. It isn't classy, nor is it even elegant. But there is something that is refined but even that word is too strong. I don't mean to say that it's nothing special since as I said I CRAVED to own it so there something in this fragrance. I have never smelled anything like it because it isn't a gourmand smell, nor is it floral nor earthy and fruity eiher. It's just ORIENS. I like it how a previous reviewer alluded to it as smelling like a black forest cake even though i don't quite smell that quality as much as i like the comment. :) I definitely like this one a lot because I don't think a lot of people wear this one so that's a plus for me. :)

larissafenerli
larissafenerli

Whenever I go into a perfumery i still want to smell oriens. Somehow i couldnt cut my connection with it. It's perfect but something is missing. It's so similar to the other popular sweet fragrances and after hours the only thing left on you is sugar, but i still love it anyway

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Bizarre jasmine named after an oriental, which it is not. Jasmine and vanilla- a dreadful combination. Awful, a total scrubber for me. And I wanted to like it because it is such a pretty bottle. Not to be.

pri_alip
pri_alip

This was a mistake. I first tried Oriens after smelling, like, some 8 other fragrances or so, which really directed me to a misjudgement. I found it gorgeous and elegant, and decided I'd buy it later. So I did. And when I actually wore it for the first time, it was like "BOOM!" - in a bad way. Way too loud, aggressively sweet. I do like some notes of it, though; after three or four hours the remaining scents were kind of nice. But the headache on the first 20 minutes makes it unworthy. Passed it on to mom (she loves it).
If you're into sweet fragrances, give it a shot.

Oh, and gorgeous bottle, by the way. What else would anyone expect from jewelry designers? ;)

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This was really very nice, raspberry and pralines, swirled together and drizzled over patchouli, which dries out the sweetness. This is very warm and quite fruity at the start. It reminds me a bit of Chopard Happy Spirit Magical Nights, though with less of the lipstick quality that that one has.
Very pleasant indeed but not ground-breaking.

Claudia.ramos22
Claudia.ramos22

I've bought this one and I'm quite dissapointed. It's an expensive parfume but it seemed like I payed for the bottle, wich is very artistic .Otherwise the scent is too sweet for my taste and faded away one hour after I had put it on. It's suposed to be a EDP so why its lasting power is so weak? Or maybe is just my chemistry...

stelladoro
stelladoro

Elegant bottle, lovely name, but I don't like to smell like berries, fruit or cough syrup. At least it didn't last very long. Extremely cloying top notes. A hint of patchouli which I liked, but otherwise completely forgettable, except for the nauseating raspberry syrup.

Still haven't met a fruity oriental I like . . .

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Midnight on the streets of Scentopolis, and a brigand scales the wall, and pushes up the window of the Diva's bedroom. Her poor little pug is asleep as the villain approaches her boudouir, ready to steal her precious things. Suddenly, pug growls! The diva wakes! But what can she do?

She can leap to her feet, race towards her dressing table, grab a bottle of Oriens and brain the intruder with its massive tourmaline top! As he reels, startled, she might attack again, using those slightly spiky leaf designs around the gem for gouging. This bottle may not have the stigmata creating potential of Feerie, but it does reflect VC&A's strange compulsion to create beautiful and lethal perfume bottles!

Oriens itself could not be called lethal. It is strangely unassuming for its name - I was expecting spices, and I couldn't find any except a soft, peppery/ ginger undertone with a tiny touch of patchouli. The topnotes were blossom like, a very gentle mixture of apple blossom, orange water and a touch of jasmine. I did not get one single berry! On my skin, it faded to an echo very quickly, a pretty but unmemorable experience. Still, on the right skin, this could be chypre at its best, fresh yet fascinating!

tvu
tvu

The crystal bottle is 5 stars class rating, can be use as a decorative piece. It is quite heavy for 100ml bottle so it's not ideal while travelling. The juice smell delicious but in a strange way. The opening is candy sweet, luckily it's not the sweet type of celebrity perfume. The middle note is a combustion of what many viewer describe as dry prune fruits sweeten in alcohol sugar..lol... Regardless, this juice is of high quality. The dry down has a more tingling warmth which is rather nice. I will wear this on the cold winter days as I prefer more aquatic perfume for summer. Overall, lovely bottle and worth keeping :)

I wish it did smell like tinned prunes on me: that would be kind of cool. Instead I get sticky vanilla with citrus and fruit notes and an unpleasant medicinal note that I can't pin down. It pretty much fails utterly on my skin.

Frances321
Frances321

This perfume makes me happy. It starts out smelling of berries and turns into a delicate oriental which I like alot. Unfortunately it has no staying power on me - a problem I am having with several fragrances lately - and I prefer spraying my perfume in the morning and not thinking about it anymore throughout the day. I find it to be somewhat similar to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle which, on my skin, will last the whole day and even through a shower.

saguna
saguna

Yes, very nice raspberry, and very delicious. Kind of remind me of Hermes Un Jardins Sur Le Toit, but Hermes is more interesting.
Lasting power 7/10

Miss Dior Cherie lovers will like it !

perfumery123
perfumery123

smells like tinned prunes to me
which is nice
but weird

Olefact
Olefact

...syrup and glazes come to mind, so much so you ecpect it to leave a coat. But it's not sickeningly sweet, so why all the complaints?

Bettany87
Bettany87

The bottle is beautiful first of all, it looks so regal and expensive. The initial spray is highly potent and I had to wait before I can really enjoy it. I do not find it very sweet ... I get a lot of the patchouli. It's very warm and intense, I wasn't sure if I'd like it but as minutes and hours passed by, the scent morphed into something subdued and velvety. I was expecting a lot of sweetness based on other reviews but instead, I had a totally different experience with ORIENS ... more spicy and earthy. If you have the patience to wait for the scent to reach its softer side, then this fragrance is quite mesmerizing.

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

Not for me but nice. A little bit too stong.

bobbyferrant
bobbyferrant

To me, Oriens strongly smells of sour green apple lollipops for some reason...but in a juicy, delicious & fresh way.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

Very fresh, kind of citrucy opening but the patchouli is also there right from the start. It is very exotic and mysterious. Doesn't last long on me but on the whole - not bad.

Sassy1
Sassy1

All I can think of when I smell this is black forest cake.

I only wish the raspberries were fresher, not so heavily synthetic.

It must be very difficult to make a realistic raspberry as every perfume attempt I've smelled with it is awful. Patou Forever, Armani Diamonds, etc. Too sickeningly sweet and syruppy.

If you like chocolate and raspberry and 're not picky like I am, this would be wearable when it's cold outside only. Much too sweet/cloying for summer.

Enjoy!

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

I wanted to try it and now that I have been wearing it for a couple of days, I am ready to write a few words about it. The bottle cap is really cute, to begin with. The opening is pleasant - berries mostly on my skin. Sadly, the drydown... well, it's nothing to write home about. I've never been into chypres anyway but still hoped this one wouldn't be so plastic smelling. It's very similar to so many other popular fragrances and would easily go unnoticed. I love the raspberry in Apparition much better and it hasn't got that synthetic note in the drydown. Average staying power. Overall, Oriens is not a keeper for me as it lacks character.

blackforest
blackforest

i have it. for me: nothing extraordinary...nevertheless it smells nice to others!!

finzi
finzi

I sprayed this onto the back of my hand and wrist in the shop, then forgot about it.

An hour later I was in Superdrug and could smell the most awful, sickly scent. I thought it was the perfume of the sales assistant who was helping me at the time... then I left the shop and realised it was me! I'd had my hand on my bag strap at my shoulder and the perfume had been wafting over. I couldn't believe it was Van Cleef!

Couldn't stand it, but left it on my skin for another hour to see if it got any better and it didn't. On my skin, this perfume is all about the praline and berry liqueur. Sweet, sweet, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... It puts me in mind of the very worst example of celebrity fragrances - sugary, cheap and loud, VERY loud. I get the same feeling with Biehl's PC02.

Come back Badgley Mischka, all is forgiven. I used to think you were sweet but you are stone dry by comparison.

AshDiCar
AshDiCar

This is the most edible chypre I have ever tried. Oriens is very sweet and yet quite sophisticated at the same time. There is an odd 30 minutes or so about an hour after application that I am reminded of sweet plastic - like one of those Strawberry Shortcake dolls I had when I was a kid. Thankfully, the plastic phase is over pretty quickly and it's smooth sailing after that. The dry-down is beautiful - raspberries smothered in pralines and cream and just enough earthy patchouli to anchor the composition.

UPDATE: After wearing this a few times I'm finding that I am bothered by the sweet plastic undertone. I notice it every time I wear it and it's not fading out. Also, this is so damn sweet - which I usually love - but it's too much. The dry-down although very nice is cloying and I find myself wanting to scrub it off. I now have this available for a swap if anyone is interested. Oh well, my search for a sweet raspberry fragrance continues... :(

azuriiita
azuriiita

First at all: very interesting bottle :)

Good quality fragrance. "Fruity-floral" with a noticeable touch of praliné, in my opinion. Cozy, pleasant, correct... but no sufficiently enchanting for my taste :)

Chypre?... im not sure...

Could be nice by a present :D

olga1780

Sillage and longevity are impressive considering its sheer nature. It must be the raspbery, but after an hour or so it wears similar to Happy Spirit by Chopard. Oriens has some complexity to it for sure. Definitely a quality fragrance. I like it.

olga1780

Ok, i might be in the minority here, but Oriens reminds me more of Belle D'opium, but sweeter and less spicy, especially in the opening.I also detect some similarities with Badgley Mischka in the top notes. A little bit too light, but overall a nice scent. Definitely not a masterpiece, like so many others from the house, but nevertheless a pleasure to wear. More suitable for daily wear in fall or spring. I prefer richer scents for winter.

SheShe

Addition after some time from my first review: I haven't been using this perfume for quite a long time because I became to feel more uncomfortable wearing patchouli. Now I'm back and wearing Oriens today. I've forgotten it's so sweet and a bit salty on my skin (wintertime). Raspberry, blackcurrant and patchouli the most detectable - but Gosh, it is SO classy without feeling stiff... What a pretty fragrance in a stunning bottle.
Actually when I'm wearing Oriens, I have early morning in my mind. A beginning of something new. A new day, a new adventure, a new pretty fauna and flora awoken. The only complaint is - the patchouli, but without it Oriens wouldn't be the same.
Calm fragrance, always makes a huge impression on me.

beatrix75
beatrix75

completly party parfum for me wonderful exactly like the allure sensuell they are the same love like i loved the chanel sensuelle!!!very long lasting its kind off sweet but not to much its strong its .....partyyy

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

For Larissafenelli,
If You love Oriens, just go for it. No matter how its "ment to be" for those "ages"... you know what I mean. I was at your age and as well loved the kind what is said to be "old school"... so its all about between individual and perfume. No matter what people say.

0135rachy
0135rachy

asked for this for xmas because i just loved the bottle
the scent is gorgeous to

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Oatmeal & dried cranberry cookies.

Patchouli is throughout. Giving it a funky, musty undertone, making my oatmeal cookie stale and on the verge of crumbling.

I like the tart berries and the warmth of pralines that reminds me of an oatmeal cookie, but the patchouli just ruined it for me. Unfortunately it becomes masculine.

zellpang
zellpang

Quite classic chypre floral with a fruity orangy/tangerine twist.

candymarie
candymarie

Okay, so some of the reviews intrigued me, especially Mandashell's desription of spiced raisin, and all in all it sounded like a safe bet I wouldn't hate it, so I ordered a small bottle and hoped for the best.

It IS as lovely as described, and I do really enjoy it. Only problem is it has nearly zero staying power on me. For two days now I've doused myself in the stuff and literally within 10 minutes it vanishes into thin air like Keyser Soze. Today it was a little more detectable, I'm guessing because I was working hard around the house and the surface of my skin became more conducive ... but should I really have to sweat my behind off to enjoy my perfume?
Update: I reaaallly want to be happy with this one, because it DOES smell great, so today I doused wrists and cleavage as usual, but also sprayed my hair and blouse and, guess what! I can smell it on me today!!

tsth
tsth

I ordered this fragrance thinking the notes sounded really good but also knowing that a blind buy is tricky and that even if I didn't like it, I LOVED the bottle...so it would be a win-win....When I received the fragrance from Amazon it was not the "pretty" bottle pictured...I was sorely disappointed. So, I got a so-so bottle with a nice enough fragrance that was sort of like a berry RL Notorious, to me. Anyway, bottom line, be sure to ask if you are getting the pretty bottle w/the silver accents...I think it must be larger than the 1 oz to get the pretty bottle, but I'm not sure? I filed a claim, ended up getting the fragrance for free, but I would have much rather had the pretty bottle.

Aysu
Aysu

Patchouli laden praline&raspberry combo, not a bad one, I enjoy wearing it.
I partly agree with reviews saying that this is mix of Miss Dior Cherie and Coco Mademoiselle. I found Jimmy Choo also similar to Oriens with strong patchouli and toffee tones. It goes well better in winter.

KaseyC

it has a pleasant scent that makes you easy to fall in love with. it's simple, clean and refreshing. you can wear it day and night, for whatever occasions but would be most suitable for a dinner at a chic restaurant with a sea view. would love to own a bottle of it... btw, the bottle design is also beautiful.

FireFaerie
FireFaerie

I'd been waiting to review this until I could wear it more than a few times first... because the scent is that dynamic. It can sometimes smell vaguely reminiscent of Miss Dior Cherie (minus that godawful popcorn) but I would still say this is a unique fragrance.

At first spray, all I get is caramel and pralines. Straight up. And yet, not at all in an edible way. How strange is that? I think it might be the hint of orange that keeps this from smelling like an ice cream parlor.

After a (pleasantly long) while, the smell dries down, losing the caramel but maintaining the praline, and the black currant and jasmine are able to come gently forward. It's intoxicating.
[Yes, I know there is no caramel note, I'm just telling it how I'm smelling it.]

I also noticed today (which inspired me to finally write a review) that despite my complete inability to ever smell raspberry anywhere in this under normal circumstances, I no longer doubt that it is there. I was walking around in the ungodly scorching heat and I noticed that my perfume had a tartness to it that had never been there before. Something about the heat brings out a mild Sweetart scent, and somehow, it works with the praline to make a new kind of delicious.

All in all, this is a wonderful summer scent that is layered and ever-changing and never unpleasant. It is sweet and enchanting, and sorta smells like the color of the lid, if that makes any sense. :P

hapa
hapa

I was drawn to the bottle since I am a complete magpie and unable to resist bright, shiny and sparkling objects. Having spotted this I had to smell it. The first thing I thought was Coco Mademoiselle meets Angel. The patchouli is more muted but the similarities of this fragrance to the two just mentioned is rather obvious. This means it's a nice fragrance but not necessarily an exciting, groundbreaking one.

The drydown is very similar to Coco Mademoiselle with a touch of Chanel 5. So it's chypre and oriental and the patchouli has disappeared. (I think the patchouli's job is to mix with the praline and make the wearer think Angel.)

So if the above appeals to you, go for it. Alternatively mix the above for the same result.

nora elia
nora elia

Wow I tried this today and I felt in love with it but I asked for the price and it is too expensive! To bad I will have to wait and save to have it. It is sweet elegant and unique

lilou
lilou

It reminds me So Elixir EDT Yves Rocher (I prefer the EDT, the EDP is too strong for me). So I like it. It's spicy, warm and gourmand, and soft by the end of the day. A lot of people made compliments about it. The bottle is very strange and does not suit to this fragrance.

karlee79
karlee79

Ok here goes my review.....

So i was in the Bay department store today and passed a counter with this amazing bottle sitting there and i was in my glory because i have wanted to try this for quite some time. At first spritz i could smell the citrus, mixed with raspberry and then this sharp freshness , like a very crisp clean scent mixed with the berries, and it then turned me off almost immidiatley. I carried on and went about the rest of my shopping. By the time i was done and headed out to the parking lot, i caught a wiff of myself! I was like omg, what is that sweet smell? It was me!!! It was my arm where i had sprayed oriens. It was amazing, its still kind of smelled of that sharp freshness, but now it was mixed with a strong sweet black currant drizzled in smokey chocolate. Its was fruity warm and fuzzy sweetness, with yet that weird sharp freshness i dont like , but do???? Strange. I am buying this for sure, it is gorgeous, its something a rich tall dark beauty would wear! And im inlove

At the beginning I liked it, especially the marzipan or praline note. But when I got too much of it, it was too sweet and I decided it's too cloying for me, escpecially the drydown.

pauluch3
pauluch3

Starts out really sharp, a bit masculine (but I like it). The patchouli note is the strongest on my skin. I don't get the sweetness though. I don't see how this is classified as chypre floral since I don't get any flowers in it. And one more thing, it isn't similar to Coco Mad. You can get this impression at first that the two are alike, mainly because of the strong patchouli note, but Coco Mad. is thousand times better. The longevity and sillage of Oriens is surprisingly bad (maybe it's just my body chemistry). As Oriens and Coco are placed more or less at the same price range, I would highly recommend to buy Coco Mad. (My fav!) instead, which can smell long hours after applying on my skin.

mandashell
mandashell

Oriens is a very fruity, warm, sweet and patchouli laden delight. In fact once everything dries down the perfume really smells like a spicy raisin. LOL! That may sound funny but it really does. XD It isn't a very heavy fragrance but I can't see myself wearing it in the heat of the summer so It would be best for fall/spring. It also lasts at least 4hrs noticeably on my skin.

I too agree that Oriens isn't totally original because it really reminds me of a lighter Glow After Dark by JLO. It is also VERY expensive( luckily I received mine in a swap) and I'm not sure that you are getting what you pay for. That bottle is very pretty but the fragrance unfortunately isn't as pretty as the bottle.

Overall it is okay and it smells good but it's not for me and not what I expected. Can't see myself wearing it over the other fragrances in my collection so I am going to have to next this one. It's sad to say but my Delicious Cotton Candy has more flavor than Oriens....? o.O

arianperfume
arianperfume

This has nothing to do with So Elixir which I bought because many people wrote that in their reviews. I like it a lot and to my nose it is a floral spicy with accentuated notes of Jasmine and Patchouli and something sweet, must be the pralines. The only fault is that staying power is low. I still want a bottle:)
And now I have it, this is really yummy, mmmmmmmmmmm.. And the staying power is not at all weak, received compliments also. GREAT!!!!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Pleasant but generic perfume in a stunning little bottle. I would not classify it as chypre at all, more oriental spicy. It's a wearable fragrance, particularly for someone just starting to explore the perfume groups - just don't imagine it will be a chypre, that classification is quite misleading. Quite sweet as well, with medium longevity (3 hours).

SheShe

One of my favourites (but I admit I have about 15 of them ;) ). I have the bottle with leaves, it's so pretty! And the smell itself is nice, actually when I wear the perfume, I think about dawn or dusk, the time when the sky is in colours like the cap. Praline comes out in the end, when you think the smell is almost left, you get surprised by the praline. The smell is quite sweet but not too sweet like Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet or sthg like that. Positive, optimistic smell, freedom, travelling, watching the sun comes out or down.

Ah - and I can't see connection to Coco Mademoiselle. Coco is fresh in my opinion and Oriens isn't - Oriens is a kind of oriental chypre if something like that exists ;). I don't like Coco, I can't wear it, it's too strong and too perfect if you know what I mean. Oriens's lasting power is very good on my skin and it's the only one fragrance with quite a strong patchouli note I can wear.

Eleiria
Eleiria

A very nice fruity fragrance. It's not unique, yes. But it makes me feel good and happy. It's really nice, happy and not overwhelming. I can't really tell praline apart though, I wish I could. Patchouli at the base is okay, not too much. It's not very strong, it's been 2.5 hours since I put it on and it's already begun to fade away but still I like it.

onebadbaby
onebadbaby

I think this perfume is really rather beautiful. I tried this a couple of times on paper and didn't think it was anything special.

BUT I then tried it on my skin alongside a couple of others. It was surprisingly long lasting, and outlasted the others I tried by ages, and by end of the day it had transformed into a fruity delicious sweet scent, with the middle notes lingering and lingering in a long dry down.

It is in the same vein as coco mademoiselle, although lighter and more delicate.

If you were disappointed on your first try I would give it another chance.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

For me similar to gucci Quality. I fell all the time raspberry.
Beautiful, factual bottle !

NNN
NNN

Considering this amazing bottle, I was expecting the perfume to be an art of work as well.
I'm disapointed. It's not a bad fragrance, not at all, but I can't see nothing special about it.
I thought it would be a wow perfume, but it's just a discrete and chic fragrance, really good and wearable, that people around you're going to like how you smell, not love or hate.
A very agreable fragrance with an amazing bottle.
If you want to smell good everyday, it's a great choice!

Sissi
Sissi

Luscious and yet Refined Oriens has an dual identity
It's sexy without being agressive it's a high class
seduction subtle never demands it but you can feel it
in the air, Opens with mandrian orange leaves a sparkling texure, Oriens turns deeper and succulent
of the presence of Black Current bringing a sense of
dark and primal sensuality the drydown is going through the tartness of Red Raspberries is sin in a
fruit rubbing against your lover's lip for delicious
satisfaction, Jasmine does'nt intrude and adds a
quiet and elusive grace the shyest note in the perfume brings refinedness, The drydown turns a bit synthitic but sweet of Praline a decadent end to a
scrumptious fragrance, praline is like creamy vanilla icing slowly pouring down on juicy raspberries finishes Oriens with a delectable pleasure.

redrose
redrose

dear oriens.......what to say....I had a sample of you during last summer and then I thought wow! Got to point of buying you 2 weeks ago i am not wow any more:(

First of all this fragrance is better for warm seasons,second- it is similar to Coco Mademoiselle but is not that elegant and posh fragrance like coco is,third- price is so much like coco m so if you are big lover of coco m buy yourself coco. Oriens is a fragrance which does not make me buy it again unless I will get it on sale. Staying power is very good and of course a bottle which catches eye very well as well as price can catch your wallet:) 5 out of 10

passionata20
passionata20

Reminds me quite a lot of Ungaro´s "Apparition" original, but more powderly scent. The bottle is very beautiful, but i don´t like the fragrance. I prefer Ungaro to this one. Again there are too much black currants in here, that what makes me feel like i am suffocating. But this one strongly associated in my mind with something orient, like orient market of spices i would say. The name is absolutly perfect for it and truly reflects a fragrance! Very pleasant for brunettes i think and definitly for evening wear. Just not my type sadly.

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every rewiev should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

i got a mini of this before-yesterday but the bottle leaked and the box was dripping... i tried out the juice left in the bottle on my wrists and it started indeed similar to coco mademoiselle & miss dior cherie. but this fades too quickly, it has not that depht in the notes and not this complexity of the Dior scents. it's almost flat and a little bit boring then.
but very nice patchouli guormand drydown, more oriental than chypre i found.
the box which absorbed the leaked juice completaly is still spreading really nice waves of a warm and seductive scent in my bedroom what means it would hold well in hair or clothes though.

the bottle is sooooo cuuuute !!!!!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I am a fan of chypres, particularily floral chypres, so I looked forward to testing this new fragrance. Unfortunately, this very quickly took on an absolutely overpowering jasmine scent that completely overwhelmed any other notes on my skin. Disappointing, but it won't be a repeat try for me.

Migotka
Migotka

I think this fragrance get so many undeserved bad opinions, and to be fair, I dont really know why.

Oriens is a beautiful fragrance. it is so cozy and sweet and lovely, you can fall asleep by sniffing your wrist. And I think it can give you some amazing dreams as well. It is a bit similar to Coco Mademoiselle, which by the way I love. The raspberry and blackcurrant are juicy and bursting with freshness, the jasmine soft and the pralines in the base provide just enough sweetness for the fragrance to remain elegant.

A perfect scent for a daytime wear, might not be a breakthrough in the world of perfume, but when you are not looking for something screaming into people's noses, something chic and discrete, well, here it is!

krishka
krishka

i tryed this, liked it, but it gave me a rash straight away...had to wash it off before it fully developed on my skin...dunno which of the components cause it...i've never ever got an allergy to any perfume before?!?

guest_Reff
guest_Reff

This perfume is so good and have everything a woman need to be attractive

guest_verone
guest_verone

OMG, it opens so perfectly, so that I thought it could be "the one" for me.
But after only 1-2 hours it just smells sweet and could be any other sweet fragrance at this stage. Also flattering (too fast) And most dissapointing: VERY synthetical smell at drydown. Too bad.

COSMICSCENTS
COSMICSCENTS

It does smell similar to Coco Mademoiselle so I won't be getting it even though the bottle is very pretty,unless I find it for a great discount:)

Van Cleef & Arpels ORIENS bears an unmistakeable similarity to COCO MADEMOISELLE, especially in the opening minutes. They are definitely neighbors on the grand olfactory map. Both are at the same level of quality of components and offer the same sort of citrusy modern chypre.

I find that because ORIENS lacks a sour note which sometimes does not agree with me in Chanel creations (including CM), I actually prefer this composition. I like the citrusy opening followed by the lush patchouli, and I do not find the drydown too sweet. To me, the raspberry and the praline here are very low key. I bought a mini of ORIENS and honestly would not mind having a bottle. Good longevity and medium sillage on my skin.

To my surprise, the designer of this perfume, Bernard Ellena, also created Versace WHITE JEANS, which is now on my wish list, and HANAE MORI, which I purchased based on a sample. Looks like I'm a fan!

delphine67
delphine67

I have tryd this today and I must say I really like it.
It reminds me a bit of Coco mademoiselle in the beginning. But this is sweeter. For me it opens with raspberry and mandarin on skin and it turns into a lovely praline woodsy smell coz of the patchouli in the basenotes.
Good sillage and staying power.

Amethyste
Amethyste

Because of the notes this should be my fav of all times, but it isn't. I think it's just fine, but I don't feel identified with it. This smells like walking down the street in India under the sun. I think that this would suit better on a not too young woman. Anyway, I found it very elegant.

Hi minous,
I myself do not own this one, because when I tried it in the store it reminded me of a tuned down version of So Elixir. And because I am into heavy perfumes most of the time, I prefer So Elixir EDP. I do love the bottle of this one though! Maybe I'll buy it for the bottle in the future.
Good luck!

Trvevil
Trvevil

It's heavy on patchouli and caramel. Huge dose of sweetness of mandarine, raspberry... I'm so surprised no one mentioned its striking similarity with Angel xD
It's almost 1 in one with that. That is how my sleeve of jacket smelled after i perfumed it with Angel in store :o Bleh, c'mon come up with something more original -.- Bottle is nice tho. But they should put that creativity in to juice better, lol. Nothing 'chypre' in it.

imgcas
imgcas

This perfume reminded me of other scents I had smelt before, M by Mariah Carey above all.
Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche, Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, Antonio Banderas Spirit, Laura Biagiotti Roma and Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme drydown have something in common too.

I still haven't discovered what are these notes that they have in common, but I think it could be a sweet patchouli accord.

I don't feel completely comfortable wearing it. I find it too sweet for me, but it's longlasting and has good sillage.

Red Rose
Red Rose

I agree that this perfume smells like coco mademoiselle & miss dior cherie. It's very sweet gourmand & very strong too. I like the bottle the most. I may get one this year.

oriens
oriens

Some reviews are dissappointing :) but i felt in love with this one when i bought it as a gift for my friend..
I am planning to get one for my self in the next few months.

zvoncica
zvoncica

Oriens has a good potential upon opening. For that part I can say only praises: fresh, elegant and joyful. Must admit, that was kind of the thing I expected. Because the trade name "Van Cleef & Arples" to me sounded like Scandinavian royal family. Polished and luxuriant. As I said, high hopes and beauty expected, managed to last for 30 minutes.

Afterwards Oriens flattened into sweet praline notes, synthetic and boring. Royal family fallen on their knees, leaving me disappointed. And the Oriens (meaning east)? They forgot to put it in the bottle.

Catnip
Catnip

This starts off bright and fruity, like freshly squeezed juice. If you like berries, you might appreciate the middle stages because raspberry dominated this phase for me. The praline asserts itself in the base and is unmistakable, fused with the sweet notes of fruits. It was difficult to detect patchouli. The dry-down is sweet, but without becoming overwhelming so. The praline here is not as viscous as I have found it to be in other fragrances that contain this note.

Overall, this is a fruity gourmand (I cannot see it as a chypre). It cannot claim originality but is surprisingly pleasant nevertheless. It reminds me of Flowerbomb, but as a lighter and fruitier version.

I am editing to say that whatever else it is or isn't, Oriens impressed me with its longevity. I sprayed it this morning at 9:00, and I was still able to feel it at 6 p.m. (no spraying no clothes).

F_A
F_A

Take a sweet berry compote, add a piece of myrrh into it and you have Oriens. Impressive? Inspiring? Interesting? Unusual? For my nose - it's boring and similar to many other fragrances.
P.S. I love Quizas, Quizas, Quizas by Loewe, but Oriens does not work for me at all...

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Bad taste in full swing.

A horrific bottle,
a sticky-sweet-fruity scent,
plus a couple of irritating chemicals.

I sneezed and had some skin irritation on my wrist seconds after spraying. And I am really not the allergic/sensitive type of person.

guest_antonpan
guest_antonpan

From the start is reminds Lulu Castagnette lol - very sweet scent of caramel or something like that. Then Oriens becomes similar to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle. I like the beginning more than the heart notes. But that's not bad fragrance and lasts so long.

guest_pig_rabbit
guest_pig_rabbit

i have this perfume and it is sooooo good on skin and it last long too! <3

minousdepoes
minousdepoes

I had the possibility to buy it over ebay in France,for a good price.
It is a stong perfume, strong mandarine with pachouli, later on it becomes a bit
softer and than you can smell the raspberry and the praline. A strong perfume for an strong women.Like it for so far.

No Bathsheba , it's not too sweet.

P.S Lovers of Quizas, Quizas, Quizas by Loewe will love it, its similar to this one,only this one is fuller, rounder and some sweeter, love it.Stayingpower is greatttt.

e9rul7
e9rul7

im soooo curious about this one!!! i cant wait till sniffing it!!

when i read that it is a Bernard Ellena creation i was sure its gonna have jasmin... i hope it wont be overpowering and ruin this scent...

Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels 3.72 out of 5 based on 632 ratings and 135 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Van Cleef & Arpels Oriens fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Van Cleef & Arpels Oriens, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oriens by Van Cleef & Arpels represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.