Designers » T-Z » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men

Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men
dislike

Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men Pictures Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men Pictures Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men Pictures Tsar Van Cleef & Arpels for men Pictures

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Tsar was launched in 1989. The nose behind this fragrance is Philippe Bousseton. Top notes are artemisia, coriander, lavender, green notes, neroli, bergamot, rosemary and cinnamon; middle notes are carnation, juniper berries, tarragon, orris root, jasmine, caraway, lily-of-the-valley, rose, geranium and pine tree; base notes are leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, coconut, oakmoss, cedar and vetiver.

Artemisia Coriander Lavender Green Notes Neroli Bergamot Rosemary Cinnamon

Carnation Juniper Berries Tarragon Orris Root Jasmine Caraway Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium Pine Tree

Leather Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Coconut Oakmoss Cedar Vetiver

Jazz
Pasha de Cartier
North Wind

Tsar Fragrance Reviews

Ale
Ale

Monstrous longevity and projection but the scent....is a nightmare. Not my cup of tea.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

I'm giving this one a big tick. Tsar is a clean spicy manly fragrance and I must say I rather like it. It starts out with an AMEN vibe but it softens into something very differently soft and attractive. I might even buy this for my husband. I haven't come across a female fragrance from Van Cleef & Arpels that I've been blown away by yet, but I'm taken with this one.

Stavro Blofeld
Stavro Blofeld

My signature scent. Versatile. Pleasing in all phases with a heavenly drydown. The finest fougere after Azzaro Pour Homme. 10/10

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

An amazing interpretation of the power of nature.this is the time to stroll through a magic garden,to breathe the enchanting fragrance of miraculous plants.a special moment,a caress of green,fresh, herbal notes.it evokes a pine forest roasting in the sun early autumn.TSAR is a fresh and sensual woody aromatic fragrance which embodies the masculine facets of VAN CLEEF & ARPELS distinctive elegance.a perfect choice for a perfect man. Classic,Classy, Elegant,Luxurious,Green,Complex,Versatile, Mature, Personable,Traditional and Ultra Masculine.

The fragrance opens with a fresh,green and herbal blend of lavender, coriander,green notes,bergamot and neroli to create a clean and aromatic first impression.in the heart notes a comforting spiciness of caraway with subtle floral notes of rose,jasmine and carnation conveys intensity together with a classic touch of pine.a powerful dry down of sensual woods such as patchouli,vetiver and sandalwood intensify the masculine character of the fragrance and diffuse their suave and warmth tonalities.i would recommend this fragrance to anyone who wants to smell real classic.

Sillage?Great.

Longevity?Noticeable on my skin.

7.5/10

peeck@charter.net
peeck@charter.net

YA, I'm trying to like it too... I have owned Quorum and I gave it away because of it's dated scent. In comparison, Tsar is more complex and really has more of a nice sophisticated green piney ambiance in the smell. I was hoping this Tsar would be better, and it is, but I can only smell it for about 4-5 hrs then its done. Gone

I'm not going into the what the fragrance smells like because it has been explained very well in the comments below.

I think this is for an older gentleman who wants a nicer less dated powerhouse scent!

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

Van Cleef & Arpels TSAR... Hmm... I've tried to like this, I really tried, but the aroma this produces, or olfactory illusion I should say, reminds me of walking into someones home that smells absolutely beautiful, new furniture, flowers in vases, fresh paint, incense burning, potpourri in bowls, but the owner of the home is frying up some sort of funkdified meat concoction in the kitchen and it's mixing with all those lovely smells to create something that just turns my stomach... And to add insult to injury TSAR falls directly into the triple D category along with Bijan Men, Kanøn, and a few others that fortunately I've yet to `experience `.

Dirty Diaper Drydown! I just cannot wrap my head around WHY someone wants to smell like they dropped a deuce in their shorts, 2 days ago. Another poor example of Oakmoss blended incorrectly... Epic fail.

sranjit
sranjit

I have a bottle that looks dark green withouth any horizontal grooves unlike the one pictured above. i wonder if i bought a reformulated version. the opening reminded me of Bogart by Jacques Bogart. It's a kind of citrus blast, very pleasant. within a minute, it started projecting a slightly sweet, fruity aroma, which i think is closer to a grapefruit though it's not listed in the notes above. I could sniff this note trhought the drydown. Overall, it's a very elegant perfume and stays on for more than seven hours on my skin.

Omega Man
Omega Man

Old school powerhouse that smells like YSL Jazz meets Quorum. While Jazz is fresher and more vibrant in the middle notes, Tsar has a more substantial late dry down. While Quorum smells kind of cheap, Tsar smells expensive.
Colognes like this from a previous generation can come off as retrogressive to older people and old man-ish to young people. What is a man in his 40s supposed to wear? New or old? No matter, I enjoy wearing Tsar as well as more modern scents.

jozemo

A very masculine and mature spicy scent for the fall,a great vintage perfume,a nice nighttime fragrance,the right complexity,good sillage and relaxing dry down smell,also the best thing is it is very affordable.
It's a good thing sometime not to get caught in scent trends and find your own signature scent,this one of those bottles that i use in the winter,nice old school flavor,grown man type of smell.

maio2012
maio2012

Tsar and YSL Jazz are very different perfumes. Is there any special motivation to make this comparison?

ronnie1975
ronnie1975

tsar is good but not better than YSL JAZZ. Jazz vintage is a beautiful masterpiece.

benpaul12
benpaul12

I think there is a brilliant interplay between the most identifiable green notes here. The lavender, oakmoss, and cedar perfectly marry along with the leather. This produces a piney "English countryside" type smell that is quite serene.

Tsar gives a sophisticated yet versatile masculine scent, a few steps away from being generic but still in the original ballpark. It can be worn in any season too I believe, it has enough going on to either be fresh or warming, strong or relaxed.

I find some similarities to Eternity - which must be the fact there are some identical notes. But Tsar is less confused. It's deeper, darker and a far more "classic."

This was a blind buy and I am very satisfied with Tsar.

lovetribe
lovetribe

a perfume green for all season and all days!!!!!!!!

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

یه عطر گرم بر پایه جوب و چنگلی
از جمله عطرهای گرمِ ملایم هست و البته کلاسیک
امااین کلاسیک بودنش باعث نمی شه خیلی قدیمی به نظر بیاد
دوستش دارم

Mark Antony
Mark Antony

I really don't understand why at stores no one suggest you Tsar. This frag is very unknown for his quality.it is equal good or better depending your taste, with many frags of his category like guerlain vetiver. If you try to find a frag for the winter which isn't sweet or a green/woody frag without citrus notes, Tsar is that you are looking for. A great aromatic and not overpowering scent for all day. On my skin last about 9 hours and the sillage is quite heavy. Yes Maybe is a classy scent, but as long as came frags like those of the last two months, I will keep preferring this scent.

jcjavelin
jcjavelin

I have a bottle of Tsar Citrus but it is not listed!

Joeri
Joeri

For me, it's simply one of the best. Can't stop using it. I love it, my wife loves it and my kids love it too. Lots of positive comments. In the nineties, I had it in the green, non-transparent bottle and I think it was in fact a bit better then. Probably reformulated but still a fresh and very classy smell.

roozbeh.rezaie

i use it as My signature fragrance.masculine and classic

jamiehammond1980
jamiehammond1980

I have no idea why people say that this can't be worn in current times I am 33 and new to tsar but I find it completely wearable its not that far to the old fashioned side of things that makes it dated I find the notes mix well enough together to maintain its relevance today in my honest opinion.

vonMises
vonMises

Some have compared this to the YSL masterpiece Jazz. There are similarities. Tsar is more green overall. Time has not treated Tsar as well. I think Jazz has stood the test of time better. Tsar is very good, and worth having for its historical significance, but Jazz is a more wearable fragrance these days.

jht4060
jht4060

With the return of the reign of Tsars to Russia (though not yet with inheritance rights, give them time), this gorgeous classic is due for a resurgence. Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar is perhaps the best aromatic fougere perfume ever made, or at least it is my favorite. Perhaps I like it so much because it is slightly sweet and woodier than the most aggressively green bitter fougeres. It is strong, but there is an elegance to the blend that is instantly appealing, yet with an unfolding depth that charms every time. The specific notes are pretty much as given by the Fragrantica vote panel, and as Tsar I hereby ban all future voting and decree that all men shall wear Tsar on one day each year, declared as Vladimir Putin day.

By the way, I think the pictured bottle is horrid looking but it is also available in a dark green (almost black) bottle that is nice, though hardly up to the quality of the magic inside.

10/10 in every category

Our man on the ground in Moscow, Vladimir Putin, has resurfaced with a U.N.-ready proposal in hand. Good show, Comrade Vlad! If anyone knows the wily ways of politicians, it's Rad Vlad, so I'm not surprised that he devised a means by which for all parties to the Syria red-line dispute to save face--well, except of course The Rebels, who I've read have taken to eating hearts and beheading priests of late!

No matter, Vlad is Back, and though I suspect that Hans Blix may have paid him a visit and helped him to pen this draft, I do believe that we can all agree it's the perfect solution to the problem at hand. BO gets to continue to feign that The Rebels did not seize the opportunity presented to them by the redline remark, while the president of Syria gets to demonstrate that he never used chemical weapons--by throwing all of his away! He doesn't use them, so why would he need to keep them anyway???? Brilliant, Vlad & Hans, brilliant.

In Vlad's honor, I've decided this evening to review Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar, which seems to me would suit him very well during many of his "manlier" activities. Amouage Gold may work its magic while the ivories of a Steinway are being tinkled, but soyons sérieux, Vlad: when you're out there, all alone, head on with a wild boar, or riding a mammoth shark, I think that we can all agree that you'd do much better with this sort of enticing, bright and lively aromatic scent. Lavender, caraway, coriander, a perfect blend to cleanse your senses, clear your mind, and elevate your soul.

I confess that I have only a towelette to test, but in truth, this is the format which would suit Vladimir best as he hunts big game on the Savanna or freshens up a bit after a few turns around the racetrack. I can imagine Vlad slipping one of these little eau de toilette towelettes into the back pocket of his camouflage pants, as thin as a ruble but filled with a delightful scent just perfect for wiping the sweat from his brow.

Tsar is clearly for you, Vlad. We salute you, the Tsar of Peace!

спасибо! spasibo!

missan

I still have some left from the original Tsar. Bought blindly a new bottle (with leafs on the box), naturally it was changed beyond recognition. Unfortunately uninteresting. Will try to find an original bottle, sigh

Caroleworthy
Caroleworthy

Confident, Warmly spicy and a feeling of being enveloped in richness.

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

Tsar doesn't really do it for me. Or anyone I have ever met.
I admit that I have never been a fan of Van Cleef and Arpels but gave this one a go, motivated solely by the illustrious name and its somewhat tragic connotations.
Unfortunately, I find it to be a predominantly bland, soapy concoction with uninspiring citrus notes, and I find it extremely hard to imagine that this would have been worn by any of the crowned heads of Europe, least of all by the Tsar and Autocrat of all the Russias.
But then again, there is no accounting for taste.
I saw someone decribe this as "masculine" - well, I guess it is, if your idea of masculine is a burly peasant woman scrubbing clothes in a laundry.
My honest advice is: Yuk. Stay well away from this stinker.It smells cheap and nasty.

jivanshi
jivanshi

I guess it's like the Russian Tsar himself: I bet that back in the day he smelled great. But now, in his current "formulation", beying dead and all...

Redbeard
Redbeard

I bought the newest version with the abstract leafy pattern on the box. This is a dark, heavy, murky green with some smoke mixed in, and I was really psyched to try it, but I just can't deal with it. There's something unpleasant about it to me, and I think it reminds me of the strange combination of makeup, talcum, old perfume and cigarette smoke that I remember from my grandmother's apartment. That rancid combo sits on top of nice herbal green ingredients, and gets a little less harsh as the day wears on, but it's just not worth my while to endure it during the top and middle. As much as I don't want to simply bow to what the public thinks, people might smell it and think "nobody has wanted to smell that way in decades," in an undesirable way (i.e. not "retro"). I'll have to see how Van Cleef itself treats me, but it's not looking good so far.

ntellis
ntellis

I blind bought the new formulation, though I haven't tried the old one and hence can't compare them.

But this stuff is incredible. This may become my new signature daytime fragrance, replacing Terre de Hermes.

I haven't had it long enough to pull out all of the notes listed above, but the oakmoss and leather, normally having the potential to completely overload the sinuses, are softened really nicely by the rest.

Very deep, incredible drydown. Decent sillage, but great longevity, still at the 20 cm range a full 6-8 hrs later on my skin. And at that point, it's a really heady masculine scent, so perfect for a late night encounter. I could see wearing this strongly during the day and augmenting with a light dose of Encre Noir at night to amplify the woody notes.

I'm totally sold. Excellent blind buy.

eliweisz
eliweisz

The review is for Tsar in transparent flat-top bottle (still available).
I received it as a gift from my then girlfriend who said I should smell like money. Well, if she meant I should smell green she was right. But it's nothing like good old Federal Reserve notes. The closest association is toxic blast in some chemical factory. Very green, yes. Poisonous. Making me choke and sneeze. Strong. Too strong. Unpleasant in every sense. Used it half a dozen times, hoping in vain I'll get used to this devilish stuff. Then gave it away.
Maybe recent reformulation is better but I haven't got the slightest intention to try it. Sorry.

@Bigsly and @marioslg3,

thanks for your commend!

@MAODO: The top notes are indeed lively and superior in the new green bottle. However, the drydown, though similar, seems to have some sort of "off" note to it, and it also seems weaker at that point. So, if you are "top notes person" you may prefer the all green bottle, but I doubt that a "drydown person" would.

marioslg3

MAODO, as per VC&A is the same juice, just the packing is different....I asked them 2 years ago

Maodo

Hi there, I have a question about Tsar. Does any one knows the difference between the dark bottle and the glassy bottle as shown above? Both bottles are for sale on the market, but which one is what???
I like to know it before I buy Tsar. Thanks a lot!

thazinha30
thazinha30

Tsar has been my mom's signature scent for such a long time. It reminds me of my mom and my childhood and good times...

It's extremely masculine and can be very suffocating if over sprayed but in the right measure it's green, fresh and invigorating. It's such a classic! I'm a girl and don't personally own it but wear it on occasions

LANIER
LANIER

Transfixed by the glittering Faberge Egg in the window Pasha felt nothing, not the snow on his face or his tears that froze before they reached his chin. All he could think of now, suddenly confronted by that relic of the Romanovs was the last time he saw him. He still remembered the date, February 23, 1913 a date that stood frozen in time as surely as the tears on his face. That was the night of the Jubilee ball in the Winter Palace his uncle Prince Felix Yusupov had taken him to when he was just 19. The summer before the Great War, the war that would change everything in Russia. No one recognized the fact that they were living in the twilight of their world that winter, not his uncle, not anyone in the imperial court. Tsar Nicholas II shook his hand and glittered before Pasha as brilliantly as the Faberge Egg sparkled before him in the window of Van Cleef & Arpels this new winter of 1923.

Yes he remembered him, the Tsar; he remembered them all, so many of them now dead. Some who had fled Russia, the living dead, were now without a country, their families or their fortunes. All gone now. There were the few who never even unpacked when they reached safety thinking they would return any day to Saint Petersburg. They lived in a dream world of fading lace and musty fur convincing themselves over tea and maroon glace that they were waiting to return to Russia. In reality they were just waiting for the grave.

Yes he remembered him, the Tsar who had smiled and shook his hand and invited him to dance with his daughter, the Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna. The scream of a train whistle cut the blue winter wind and Pasha blinked. Was it real or the nightmare whistle he heard most nights in his dreams, the whistle of the train from Moscow to Vladivostok? Yes, the same train that took the Tsar and his family to Tobolsk a year later. Pasha and his Mother were lucky to escape and took what they could in jewels to buy their way from Vladivostok to Paris. An around the world trip that left them destitute.

Church bells were ringing now and the snow was coming down harder. Pasha’s focus shifted and the Faberge Egg blurred and was replaced by the reflection of his face in the window. He wiped his eyes with the back of his gloved hand. He wasn’t one to look back or to be sad but to suddenly come upon the egg had thrown him. He would not walk this way to work again. Pasha pulled his overcoat collar up against the snow and turned to walk the rest of the way to Maxim’s where every night patrons pointed to the tall handsome maître d’ and said. “He used to be Russian royalty”. Yes he remembered the old days, and the Tsar. He always would.

*********************************************
This oldie but goodie is a new and exciting discovery for me. I used to wear the great leather scent, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme years ago and loved it. Thinking I would order it again I mistakenly ordered Tsar. To my delight I find it as beautiful and wearable as Pour Homme. Tsar by Van Cleefs & Arpels created by Philippe Bousseton 1989 and is perhaps his most famous fragrance. A bright bold and romantic Woody Aromatic that is as stunning a choice for a man of taste today as it was twenty four years ago. It has a gorgeous classicism about it that is timeless, a really beautiful bouquet from top notes to dry down.

With in the green deco inspired bottle with gold trim there is an array of top notes that spark and spin the air with a blend of Artemisia, rosemary, lavender, Neroli, coriander, green notes and cinnamon. The cinnamon is a great touch to the blast off of the first spray. It really adds a kick of chic to the opening. This opening says true and strong for a surprising bit of time.

Then the mid notes come in to play and it is a strong floral romp for a man’s perfume but a mix of green and earth works gloriously to keep it boldly masculine. Carnation, jasmine, lily of the valley and rose all bloom in chorus and find ground and strength from the geranium, juniper berries, tarragon and an earthy brilliant powdery orris root. Above it all is the fresh summery slightly humid infusion of pine tree. Just lush and radiant at this point.

With the dry down comes the kitchen sink of notes. A supple smart leather note creeps in with the sandalwood, lush stylish amber and a taste of creamy vanilla Tonka bean. Patchouli, musk and sharp cedar are aided in the demise of this perfume with a touch of biting green vetiver. Yes there is a lot going on here and it works so well.

It all speaks of grandeur and another world. An elegance that is now lost, a time when men dressed with thought to detail and style and smelled expensive, refined and beautiful. It is nice to know that in this age of Fresh, Fruity, Sugary middle of the road perfumes that you can still find a great and interesting perfume in a main stream house such as Van Cleef & Arpels, but then I am not surprised. The same house gave us the very beautiful and equally elegant Midnight in Paris. Often these days the most interesting and exciting things happening in fragrance are on the niche end of the spectrum. One needn’t have to spend the precious dollar for fabulous niche fragrance when one can still find something interesting and stunningly beautiful here at Van Cleef & Arpels. And then there is the jewelry too!

FIVE GOLD STARS *****

iconoclast

@ Finisterle - Apologies but I'm quite sure you're mistaken. The original Tsar bottle at launch in 1989 was the dark mottled green opaque one with a black lid. I know so as I bought a bottle of Tsar in Paris almost on the day it was launched and bought at least another two more bottles identical to it right up to the mid-90s. The after shave that I also bought in 1989 was in a green transparent bottle shaped like that of the EDT and also with a black lid.

fuggerone
fuggerone

review for the dark leafy bottle..herbal and extremely sensual, for grown ups who want to win ugly with ladies!

jozemo

This is the nice spice,with an excellent drydown that lingers well on the skin,also very affordable ,a nice nighttime scent or for the office ,a soother!

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

A classic, and classy fragrance. This review is for the older version in the dark, opaque bottle.

It is somewhat hard to describe Tsar in terms of dominant scent elements due to the complex and balanced composition of the cologne: 8 top notes, 10 middle notes and 10 base notes, for a grand total of 28! I am doing a double-check right now, two-and-a-half hours after spraying it on, and I am picking up base notes: kind of a spicy, leathery cedar vibe. A masculine scent that seems to say "I am confident enough to be classic and not trendy."

These are scent notes that are found in most of the successful older colognes, and of the colognes that are currently in-vogue with younger men, the only ones that will be around in 20+ years are those that share these kind of quality, classic elements. I find it overly simplistic and meaningless to try to dismiss a cologne as being an "older guy" product. Some older products are lousy, but the odds of buying a lousy scent are way higher if you purchase something "fresh, hot and new". Quality notes, when mixed in the right magic ratios, create timeless, appealing scents. I think a lot of younger guys who dismiss some scents as being too old would be shocked at what they actually prefer if they did a comparison involving smell only, not knowing the label, name, vintage etc. Here's my suggestion: spray this stuff on, and ask your wife/girlfriend to give an opinion without telling her what it is. My guess: most women will approve of Tsar.

Longevity is about average. Sillage is low, making this a good option for the office. Certainly this is not a scent that will stand out in a crowded room, so it's not a great choice for guys heading to the bars and clubs. But at a quiet dinner or romantic get-together, your appreciative companion will remind you that you made a good choice.

Scent: 8.5/10
Sillage: 7/10

Overall: 8/10.

In a nutshell: a classy, quality product, versatile enough for the office or a romantic evening.

Finisterle
Finisterle

The Original/Vintage bottle for TSAR launched in 1989 was the transparent ribbed bottle.

I know so because I saw it in stores the year of the launch.

I had the original TSAR and it was a marvel of safe clean woody power that lasted and lasted. Not to forget it was refined. No cheapness about it whatsoever.

TSAR can be found at decent prices these days but some people here are saying that it's not as good as it once was. I have no doubt they are right but how much quality has been lost, that's the question. Some reformulations are inferior but still very nice and some like Lagerfeldt's photo are just disasters.

@ iconoclast. You may be right... because I didn't buy TSAR immediately after launch and I could have mixed memories from the early 90s together with memories from the end of the 80s. But if you do buy the transparent ribbed bottle you are guaranteed to get the original juice.

Osmin
Osmin

I have a faint recollection of this fragrance, equally faint was the fragrance itself. The fact that I threw it in the bin for me means that there was nothing that I liked in that juice, for others it should mean that they must be cautious when reading others praising it.

roozbeh.rezaie

very very good.the best in perfume world

rogerio067072
rogerio067072

Well, I fell very very confortable with Tsar. It does smells like something for an over 30 guy - I'm 30, but, with it there's no doubt that it was made for guys, and also you will smell clean all the day. You should try it.

pickletastic
pickletastic

I'm a girl and I wear this - along with many 'male' fragrances - and it is stunning. At first, almost literally. Restraint with the trigger is required here, lest for the first few minutes you risk an experience akin to fumigation by Lynx [think it's called Axe across the water?]. However, aside from Eau Savage and Platinum Egoiste there is nothing I have found to be quite so beautifully bracing in men's mainstream scents. I love and wear Acqua di Gio Pour Homme and Issey Miyake for men, but these are refreshing in warmer weather, and are vastly better for this purpose than their unpleasant female counterparts. But neither slap one upside the head like Tsar, Eau Savage or Platinum Egoiste irrespective of external climatic conditions. It is ages since I had Eau Savage but from memory the dry down was similar to that of Tsar and Platinum in that it gently softened and warmed and harmonised as rudwat and wesleyhclark both found.

Other people have described the notes comprehensively - ericrico's review is outstanding - so I will simply mention that I like Tsar for two additional [and irrelevant to everyone else] reasons: firstly - and I admit, potentially madly, I have managed to successfully layer it with Dolce Vita [they share some notes, honest!] when I want to cut through Dolce Vita's sweetness and secondly because when I was at school a girl wore this and it smelt AMAZING on her. It was the old formulation [this was in the early 90s and she'd pinched it from her father] but the current one has enough remnants to make me happy and it is she I have to thank for teaching me early on to wear what suited me and not what was marketed at me.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

This is interesting stuff! It starts out rather pungent and green but dries down oakmossy and leathery - a nice masculine fragrance. Yep - I could wear this!

It IS complex - note the 28 notes that reviewers here notice. But, remarkably, it's not a mess. Reminds me a little of Quorum, a little of Halson Z14, a little of this, a little of that... a well-wrought fragrance.

------

UPDATE: I found a 1 oz. bottle at Ross for $20 and so I bought it. I think the bottle I have is slightly different than the stuff I tried initially. And if this has been reformulated, it's still a good reformulation.

This is such an amazing, wild fragrance! It goes on very dirty and somewhat forbidding - for mature men only. I get coconut, a bitter chocolate, leather, oakmoss and some other green things I can't identify. Wow.

The funny thing is, on my skin it dries rather quickly to a nice tobacco - but is this an olfactory illusion? No tobacco is listed. On my cotton tee shirt, however, I get a bitter chocolate for a couple of hours before, it, too, turns into the most amazingly intense tobacco.

This stuff and Antaeus are the most thoroughly masculine scents I have yet to try. Tsar, however, is more dynamic in that there are a lot of things going on.

This isn't a fragrance - it's an olfactory dark house ride!

---

Okay, I've got it figured out. Tsar is an inverted Ralph Lauren Polo. Polo is leather, tobacco and green notes. Tsar is green notes, tobacco and leather.

More or less!

---

That's it. I now hate this stuff. That carnation note is awful. A real deal-killer. I liked it initially but now - I can't bear it on me. Ugh.

Services
Services

well today I'm wearing Tsar but it's the reformultated version in the green bottle.

Yes, it's nice but I would say if you like this kind of scent then go for ' Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui '
Oscar does seem to have more bang for your dollar or pound stirling (in my case).

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui will cost you a bit more (?) but I would say by comparision it delivers more for that extra few £...... some may not agree but that's the fun of smelling good.

rudwat
rudwat

A nicely balanced fragrance, I can understand why it's still going strong.

I bought this about four years ago and I had no idea it ever existed on the market. I remember the opening being sweet but not overly So. It smelled like a watered down box of turkish delight at first.

It does get a bit warmer and earthier thereafter. Leave it on your skin for 2 hours and it really starts To balance out.

Very good, even better when its at a good price.

fragbomb
fragbomb

I haven't write about this, but I bought this couple years ago. I was ordering VCA pour homme but got this instead (the original dark emerald bottle with gold stripes). This is very strong fragrance! and last more than 10 hours. fresh indeed as the bottle's colour suggest, but don't let it fool you: wear on cooler weather only!(at least 22 degree celcius) In hot weather it's unbearable and heat seems destroy the fragrance quicky. This is a very fine quality fragrance;smells like coming from a niche house. Coming in 1989 but is nothing like it's peer such cool water, drakkar noir, lagerfeld photo.

got good projection, spray far from ur nose (i do it behind my neck, under my shirt and wrists) and sniff only from whiff.

This gem got some attitude guys. test before buy, this is either love or hate.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

A very mature and masculine fragrance for men with confidence. It gave me a sense of power and warm feeling every time I wore it. It also makes me feel like a Tsar.

marioslg3

i have a vintage bottle of early 90s and the reformulation. The perfume is not the same, not identical. the old one is more manly-foresty and the new is more soapy/updated. definitely i prefer the old one. it's a pity they took off some of the best ingredients of this perfume. The old one rocks! Will see how far the story goes with the restrictions set by the European union as far as the ingredients are concerned.

williamvargas
williamvargas

a very nice aromatic masculine scent, i recently repurchased some i believe it was the solid dark green bottle so i am not sure if that was the original or reformulated,,,whichever one it is. a nice and an appealing man scent..i do get the forest pine but with very nice mossy qualities. i have noticed you can find some smaller bottles to try on ebay.that is what i did..not a fragrance i would wear everyday but actually not much that i have i would..i would recommend trying this one, if you like the fougere aromatic style of fragrances this one is very nice one to consider., i liken it alongs the lines of patrick, duc de vervins maybe a little like the original polo, not as strong as that but it will give you that excellent masculine scent trail..nice stuff...

lyktor
lyktor

Feels like I'm walking into a forest using a black leather jacket, I enjoy the smell but not a perfume that I would wear right now, maybe when I get my 40 years? Who knows..

Ad nauseam

I have been unkind to the reformulated Tsar.

I recently purchased the most recent issue, and although the oakmoss is turned way down, I have to say it takes a cool, damp day to bring out the best qualities of the fragrance. While it's still not AS green and rich as the version I wore in the 90's, it is working some magic on me today.

If you are going to try Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels, I highly recommend you do so in cooler weather. Perfect for the coolest Fall and Winter days and even better for cold evenings out. Still even better if you are wearing a leather jacket.

Tsar does still have some of the deep, dark, green richness of the original. I'm enjoying this, and it takes me back to another place and time. Glad I have this going forward.

I feel like the the most sophisticated and powerful man in the room. Isn't that what a scent is supposed to do?

RES2525
RES2525

A classical take on a masculine woodsy fougere. Very similar in style to Ralph Lauren's Safari or Geo F. Trumper's Eucris.

Absolutely masculine, have no fear of others believing you snook a sneak at a woman's perfume. Though not particuarly 'barbershop' in nature either. Mature and evoking rugged elegance, Tsar is a welcome addition to round out the much sweeter fragrances popular today.

A burst of lavender and coriander freshened up with a bit of citrus starts the fragrance off. This freshness soon dissipates and the scent becomes much more earthy and woodsy in tone.

The middle is carnation and a lick of rose sweetened up with a splash of jasmine and a touch of lily of the valley. Put together with the rest of the notes, none of these make you think of flowers though. They, along with a dose of smooth leather, serve the basenotes by softening their character and adding a shaft of sunlight to what would otherwise be one very dank and dark composition. I get a hint of caraway when my skin gets hot. Some of the notes such as the coconut and tarragon elude my nose.

The base dominates the fragrance with the most obvious notes being oakmoss, patchouli, sandalwood, and cedar. This is about as earthy as I've ever sniffed without the composition containing vetiver.

I imagine Tsar as something a distinguished older man who, for whatever reason, lives in an old cabin deep in the woods. This isn't a high school flavor of the month. Sophisticated but with hair on its chest. A middle aged Kris Kristofferson maybe?

Jucmorgo
Jucmorgo

Very strong, masculine scent with a lot of green notes and patchouli.

And the most interesting part of this scent: I can feel a lot of cigar or cigarette after the first green/patchouli scent. You know, the smoky one scent. Like a smoker, elegant, woody businessman.

word-doctor
word-doctor

I bought this blind based on the profile and recommendations. I like the scent a lot. It is masculine, complex, soothing and low key. Therein lies the problem. I get almost no projection even with a heavy application. The top end is subdued citrus, maybe like a muted Osage orange. That would be the bergamot and herbs/florals. It dries down to a really lovely complex scent. But that dry down is strictly a skin scent and is lost to me within two hours.
It's disappointing. My nose is not discerning, and yet I get different profiles when I take a little sniff or a deep draught once it's dried down. I love that, especially at the price. But having to apply every couple of hours kills the whole experience.
Edit--Upon further review, I continue to get a lot of the topnotes very close to the skin, with good longevity after a heavy app. I can pick up the complexity but only by snorting my own arm. It's a puzzlement. Glad I have a bottle but I doubt I'd buy it again, even at its price.
Edit--Upon further further review, the sillage is better than I thought as I've gotten compliments at work. It may be that doing sinus cortisteroid shots is diminishing my capacity. So I'm changing the rating... and I think I'll give this to my 14 year old to replace Preferred Stock.
Sillage: 6/10

orestes
orestes

Good fragrance,but i prefer jazz,jazz are better

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

This is a wonderful fragrance. It provides maturity and masculinity in a man. Fresh/green/earthy, tender and relaxing smell that develops rather well throughout the hours and lasts for a long time. I favor Tsar mainly during spring/summer/day-time hours. At night I could easily switch from Tsar to Lapidus pour homme, Drakkar or Aramis and still smell great. 9/10

Lumiere
Lumiere

NB. I am a woman. And i like this scent-so foresty green, so bitter-sweet fresh, classic and in fact, delicate. Being strong, once it settles on skin and you hug your man, you don't risk to smell of his perfume for annoying 1 hour or more-it is delicate flowery herbal. However, sweet vanilla, and citrussy-fresh lovers, it is not your cup of tea. Perfume, that is.

purplesun
purplesun

I put this one just a couple of days ago before going to bed. I didn't have good memories of the development of Tsar on my skin on previous occasions, somehow I was left with a bit of sourness under my nose, which is not something I enjoy. Yet, that last time, I fell under the spell of Tsar completely.
This fragrance litteraly blew me away with its complexity. It started with something which I can describe as herbs, and from the perfume pyramid, I gather it must have been the artemisia that made that impression. Along with it were other herbs, which made for a very rich and most certainly timeless opening. After that, I was amazed and shocked by a WONDERFUL smell of flowers, being released slowly from the skin on my chest, every time I woke up from my rather insecure sleep. All of this floral extravaganza was enveloped by a cloud of oakmoss, giving a three-dimensional feel to the whole thing. This incredible spectacle lasted and lasted and lasted.
I have a less vivid recollection of what the base notes smelled like, though there was certainly sandalwood to be felt.
After that, I have reassessed my opinion about Tsar, and I have to say that it is one of the best and most dazzlingly complex fragrances that I own.
Just for the record, I own an old type of bottle, emerald in color, which is the same as the bottle of VCaA pour Homme. The top is black, and the box has a sort of marbled design printed on it. As far as I understand, this is the original formula.

My rating is 10/10

nero77
nero77

I first tried this as I heard it was similar to Pasha by Cartier. In fact I am told they are identical. This is an example of a typically deep masculine fougere. It is quite recognisable and gives the impression of being mature, refined and sophisticated. To me it is the kind of smell always associated with an elegant and mature gentleman. The deep herbal opening dries down to a dark spicy aromatic skin scent which still makes an impression well after application. A scent which still manages to be both fresh and maturely refined at the same time. An unmistakable elegant masculine fragrance. Well worth a try and very different from any of the forgettable new modern examples of trash out there.

rienzope
rienzope

Excellent review from Karlovonamesti. Several steps above other fougeres.

murysusanto

If you're after a very masculine formula then this is it. To me this has no sweetness at all, it's one of the classic old time scent. Usually this type of scent is timeless and that's what man needs.

Amongst other thousand brands out there, I can only name few with unparaleled creation.

Anyway, this brand besides the perfume, the jewellery is not for everybody.

iconoclast

I must say again that this (the vintage one of course) is the very best of all the fragrances I've ever had. It's the only one I can bathe in it and not feel nauseous or like a dandy-man or a macho-man. Missk (well done!) was spot on with the rich dark bitter chocolaty note. I feel extremely fortunate to have discovered my HOLY GRAIL nearly 25 years ago in the infancy of my obsession with fragrances :))

missan

There are so many colognes that are present today, but are reformulated, often more than once. Most of them I don´t care for at all, the intention and soul of the original are lost, and they could be anything, they just have the name in common.

This is one of them, I love the vintage, it´s so refined and it has a soul, it´s smooth still full of character.

I was able to obtain a vintage bottle recently (green, with marbleized label). I am surprised by the reviews that say this is a powerhouse. I try to avoid top notes but what I detected here wasn't strong but it also wasn't unpleasant. Nor does this impress me as much of a fougere. It definitely does not possess the searing fougere accords in Lomani or Montana Parfum d'Homme, for example. The most that can be said is that there is a mild fougere accord that isn't the "star of the show." I blew on the area I sprayed to get to the drydown ASAP. Once you get there it's rather linear. I don't get any tobacco, as some others do, and instead I'd call this a rather abstract fragrance, in that you get a hint of this or that note but none are very clear. The overall impression is a kind of outdoorsy, "masculine" elegance. Projection ("sillage") is moderate but longevity is quite good. This is about as "transparent" a fragrance I would want to wear, and it's totally natural smelling to me. There is enough dynamism and its smoothness is incredible, considering the notes involved. This is what I was hoping Geir Ness would like, actually.

UPDATE: A fragrance blogger has criticized this review, saying that I am claiming that Tsar "pales as a fougere" when compared to Lomani, which is not what I wrote above, as anyone can see. However, I will try to make it even more clear than I did above: Tsar can be considered a fougere, but I don't see the point. It has a fougere accord but it's mild. Lomani, a clearly inferior fragrance, IMO, has a very strong fougere accord (and so to me it lacks balance, which I seek). I don't know what this blogger considers a "fougere," because he has not defined his terms, to my knowledge. To me, a fragrance that has a mild fougere accord is not a fougere fragrance. And if you disagree with this, keep in mind that perhaps more than half the men's fragrances released since 1980 would then have to be called fougeres, and as most people realize, when you use language this way it loses its effectiveness. I only consider a fragrance a fougere if it has a very strong fougere accord. If you disagree with me that's fine, but you can't criticize my reviews because I define my terms and then use them in an accurate way. That is considered intellectually credible, at least in the graduate program I attended.

UPDATE #2: I had a chance to try the one pictured above, which some have called inferior. I found that everything about it is quite good, though it seems a bit softer and a touch powdery when compared to the original. There is a leathery/ambery accord in the base that reminded me of vintage Quorum, though without the tobacco. This could have been called Quorum Fraicheur, back when it was released, IMO. Far into the drydown a decent quality sandalwood note emerges. It seems to have a weaker juniper note but overall it's very nice and I can't tell you which one prefer at this point.

ericrico
ericrico

This review is for the current formulation in the dark green bottle (but not the original formulation). The citrus (bergamot), coriander, "peppery" neroli and lavender open very classy and sophisticated on top - impressive and vibrant, albeit a nice smoky undertone within 15-20 minutes forms (which stays throughout the duration of this fragrance). Yes, there is a lot of greenness to this bottle, juice and overall vibe of Tsar - but it is actually a warm, dark green, not overly bright. With a very nice note of artemisia (slightly sharp & bitter) and juniper blend in the middle, the floral notes emerge along with the key notes of dark, earthy patchouli and wet cedar. There is not a loud bouquet of florals - but more of a background that offers a nice balance to the herbs, wood and smoky patchouli. Leather and musk lead into the drydown and remain part of it, along with some moss (not heavy in this formulation - due to IFRA standards) and an interesting accord that I picked up a bit earlier...the smoky vibe that starts in the top as a plume and then finishes with a bit of ash in the dry-down. One of the "drier" dry-downs I have come across in some time - a key point of movement within this scent as it opens and shows us it could be a really fresh and invigorating scent (the first 15-20 minutes - which are surprisingly refreshing). I think the light smoky "ash" accord wears well on the leather, while the moss combines with the musk and amber to form the base notes - along with hints of green (artemisia and juniper) - still shining through with great wood (sandalwood and cedar that opens "damp/wet", but seems to dry out)... this is a deep green, dark and very masculine scent.

I find this to be a true smoker's scent - I smelled someone smoking a hand-rolled, organic tobacco cigarette tonight...I picked up some olfactory notes that were similar in Tsar's dry-down. This is definitely a green, herbal, and a touch smoky, woody aromatic with some depth - and one I will think about further and wear on cool evenings. Final score for current formulation - a solid 7.5+/10 and definitely very good and well-constructed. Some people love this scent and I can see the attraction. I most definitely like it, a lot!

**Update** - After a few full wearings of Tsar as well as several 1-2 shot applications for note transition and dry down, I have really grown more fond of this bottle of vibrant, dark green, and slightly smoky aromatic fragrance. It is actually very impressive in cool weather (and also spring and summer, surprisingly, more recently) and has a very good composition that, while rich, woody, leathery and very green - it maintains a nice freshness even moreso than before. After the last few wears, I have actually been tempted to get a bottle of Vintage Tsar, but this juice (especially for the price) is more than satisfactory for me...it is very good. The current juice is in a dark green bottle, but not opaque (like the Vintage) - not the ribbed, light green bottle above, which I have heard is not even close to what Tsar should smell like. Van Cleef & Arpels had a period where both Tsar and Pour Homme had sub-par bottlings - both were prior to the current bottlings, which have come back with extremely well-made reformulations. Kudos to the house of VC & A! Cheers.

The green herbs (artemisia & juniper heavily at work), florals and light moss work well with the leather as well as the tobacco accord in balance. While I found this to be darker initially in the cool/cold weather (and rain has an effect on this juice as well), I have since worn the fragrance and found the freshness of the composition to last longer - this really has nice notes that come together well in the overall wearing. The base does retain nice wood, amber, patchouli, leather and musk. I find the tobacco accord to be coming from the patchouli (which can be smoky and earthy)...warmed by the amber. Updated score - 8+/10. Recommended!

Chimp
Chimp

Tsar is a very sexy and dark fragrance. It's woody green and mossy scent that combines so many accords to form a very delicate yet powerful fragrance. Longevity is better than great.

cyber861
cyber861

یه ادکلن واقعا به یاد موندنی.هنوز که هنوزه عاشقش

هستم.بسیار جذاب و گیرا

موندگاری و پخش بویه خوبی داره.

kingfisher
kingfisher

A great woody spicy fragrance that I like to rotate in winters. Great longevity & average sillage !!

Migalex
Migalex

Very mossy and green, but more mossy than green. A green chypre, really. Longevity is very good but sillage is not and it is not strong. The scent is very similar to YSL Y,but Y is much more complex and from my viewpoint better as for any aspect. This one is quite good, though, for who likes this type of scent.

bp
bp

Simply excellent. In the true sense of the word.

minimalist
minimalist

My oh so loved Tsar, with your new fancy dress you left part of your charisma behind.
It's like an Eau de Toilette while the old version would be the eau de Parfum: It does have that initial herby, identifiable character so unique and green but those glorious mossy, opaque, leathery base notes are now gone and so its magic. Like listening to your favourite song from your neighbour's house, distant, uneven, but still in a way recognisable.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Tsar is arguably the finest aromatic fougère of the last 25 years. As far as the greats go, Tsar is at the top of the list. Its bergamot and lavender intro is so bright, clean, and realistic that I'm transported to a verdant garden somewhere east of wherever I'm located when I smell it. Well-blended notes of oakmoss, pine, coriander, juniper, cedar, coumarin, sandalwood, and tarragon create a green aura that stays fairly close to its source, politely projecting its soapy ambiance for several hours. Tsar is like finely-cut jade, full of forest green contours and bright facets. There are none of the dark, earthy anchors of near contemporaries like Polo or Drakkar Noir, but you do get a sense of standing in a cool shade. Everything is conservative, fresh, and elegantly arrayed. Two thumbs way up.

tomerits
tomerits

one of my all time favorite.
now im in my second bottle,the first one was the old look bottle and somehow the scent was different(more powerful)but still a great scent for cold night/day with good longevity.i love it.
my rank 4.5/5.

oxm
oxm

Tsar, a giant with feet of steel that I am in possession of the old-fashioned bottle, I do not know if the new bottle has been reformulated but my essence has a very sweet woody and delicately spiced herbs which enhance its talc and soap notes . it reminds me of Cartier Pasha, Tsar is more intimate almost closed in itself, as some flowers are waiting to hatch the first evening star, the effect of this fragrance is amazing:
sweet, austere, modern and classic at the same time.
Leaning against a window of the Orient Express, out of the tundra snow, wrapped in a coat of Astrakhan awaiting the return of her and I was in the company of Tsar ......
Tsar is now legend.

behzad1280
behzad1280

They absolutely made the point, coloring the box and flacon Dark Green! The perfume itself smells so Dark Green, I have never seen such a thing before!
Very masculine and strong indeed.
(...and are you smoker? You better be with this!!!)

یک عطر نسبتاً قدیمی خشن با بوی سبز تیره! دقیقاً شبیه رنگ شیشه و جعبه‌اش. خیلی مردونه و سنگین. مناسب سن بالای سی سال و واجد خصوصیّات مسکولانی البته
دوام و پخش بوش هم بد نیست

DaZeD
DaZeD

This one is great!

When i first sprayed it on my arm i was dissapointed cause it smelled a lot like cologne or aftershave to me, but that soon faded and evolved to a complexity wich i didn't expect.

I understand why some don't like it, it requires a certain taste, but if your'e looking for a classic scent with a unique character i think most won't dislike it.

I wouldn't call it outdated, lot's of old scents smell just right today, but you can really tell it's a classic scent.It's very warm, dark and pretty smokey but yet there's a very fresh touch to it.It's for mature men, but not necessarilly for old men.To make this one really work a certain mature mindset and dresscode would ad much to it's effectiveness.

I happen to like it a lot.
PS; My bottle is dark green, not like the one portrayed here, i don't know if there's a difference in scent though.

MrMookie
MrMookie

great 80's scent i loved it! Very manly..like the name says.. but i guess its outdated for others if you wear it.So you need to rethink this when buying it.
Big diffrence between the transparant and the dark green bottle, the dark green bottle is the one you should buy this is the original.the transparant is not even close from original.

i think i purchase a 30 ml to get back in the time machine.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

TSAR is the one great perfume which I've smelled after a long long time. Rich, dark and powerful. The fragrance is definitely jaw dropping starts with intense tobacco notes and as it evolves the tobacco notes become subtle and then more woody tones come into play which to me is the best part of the EDT and the it dries down into light but dominating woody/aromatic notes. The perfume is perfect for winter and spring and can be worn at any time of the day. More suitable to formal wear and for aged at least above 25.
Simply stunning, Pure maXculinity.
One negative point is the unfortunate below average longevity but projection and silage is great.
I give it 8.8 out of 10.

***the review is about the latest formulation released in (2007 according to official website)with dark green bottle in green/black patterned box***

editionblanche
editionblanche

i think reformulation in perfumery is a profit trick, i can't stand with. I prefer not even giving my opinion, because this is the case here...
poorest longevity

samihardanian
samihardanian

If you want masculine and sexy, look no further, Tsar is exactly what you need.But its not for every body...
Its elegant. Not sweet, not overpowering but strong.
Very notable green accords.
Very aromatic!!!
And the dry down its like incense for my nose.
Interesting...
This one defines a man's character and differ than any other ones.A must have for guys above 35 years old.
longevity 10/10
sillage 10/10
scent 15/10
average over +10

یکی از مردانه ترین و کلاسیک ترین کارهای موجود در عالم عطر و ادکلن.بسیار خاص و مجلل
موقر و متین و جنتلمن
اغواگر برجسته بانوان
بسیار سکسی و جذاب
آدمی را بیاد هنرپیشه فقید کلارک گیبل در نقش رت باتلر در فیلم بیاد ماندنی و جاودانه بر باد رفته می اندازد

fragru
fragru

Moss, musk and woods. The extreme 'green' scent. Very potent, this lasts easily a day on your skin & a week on your clothes.

Topcat
Topcat

This fragrance is outstanding. Warm, smooth, rich, and masculine; this is one I'm staying with.

jazzman68
jazzman68

This fragrance is awesome! The first spray will knock you down, but wait on the drydown. I promise you will not be disappointed. I believe that it wears better in cooler/colder weather.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A great "old school" fragrance. Similar to Jazz but I like Tsar a little more. Really fresh, soapy, clean and masculine. You can't go wrong wearing this. Staying power and sillage are up to scratch. I love it and it's just shot into my fragrance top ten.

2whit2quit
2whit2quit

I smelled this on a man I didn't know and had to ask what it was. It stopped me in my tracks. I want this for myself.

K1
K1

Barely such a powerhouse masterpiece can be found once in ten years! Seems that it was really Tsar's perfume as it's so royal and high level, green, heavy and manly leathery charismatic.
The middle is an absolute power and reminds exactly what Tsars could be. The base is more modern but still stylish and keeps the classical mood. Smells young though its date is passed, smells like a 30 years old man in a wintery or autumnal dress; tall, muscled, with dark brown hair.
Deep and immensely masculine and sexy, this is what women need to be surrendered! Sounds like is made from testosterone!
By the way, from the middle phase it scents like Jacques Bogart One Man Show with bolder woody tone.

Grottola
Grottola

Tsar is a decent fresh fougere kind of like Jazz by YSL or Havana by Aramis. Not something I'd wear, but you can get it for cheap. Then again, it smells a little cheap and dated.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

No i did not like this one at all..yuck the opening is disgusting...i could not wait to wash it off but it sticks..a nightmare for me

franceg
franceg

Clasic fragance, long lasting duration, its too hard for certain people but is a really masculine, i love it

I have a special feeling with Tsar as it reminds me of a beloved uncle I really loved. Its structure is very classic and has the same quality / appeal of an handmade walnut chair. Old-fashioned, honest, elegant and very solid. It opens with a delightful bergamot and turns to a drier and smoky tobacco and leather. It's one of those perfume that you can call "familiar", when you smell it for the first time you feel like you know it since ever, and that's comfortating. Be careful as Tsar is quite loud and potent.

I think it could be a bit nostalgic if worn today, but you can try to "decontextualize it" with your personality and clothes if you mind. I don't.

An amazing fougere.

Rating: 7.5/10

denmaz
denmaz

bold, loud, and very mature. trully classic. not suitable for man under 40 years old.

marioslg
marioslg

There are two different bottles, the original dark green and the clear. the perfume, according to Van cleef and arpels, is exaclty the same and only the packing changes. I ordered one from USA, as soon as I have it, will let you know my comments in comparison with the original. beyond that, it is a very masculine perfume for mature men!

geegee
geegee

To Ad nauseam, try out direct cosmetics (UK based online). I buy the dark bottle of Tsar for my partner from there. It smells divine on him.

Best of luck

Ad nauseam

I want to point out there are two different bottles of Tsar both by Van Cleef & Apels.

I didn't know at the time, but looking back, this was my signature fragrance for the 1990's. My Tsar was in a dark green opaque bottle. For me, it was the best scent available for a long time. I tried almost every new fragrance for men during that time, but nothing suited me or my olfactory system any better.

What I see in the stores now is in a CLEAR bottle. It isn't the same. It is a much weaker and a "less than" version of the original Tsar. This one is packaged in a solid dark green box.(The same as the photo Fragrantica uses here.)

It's not clear to me if the reviews here are for the original Tsar or for the new reformulation in the clear bottle. They are NOT the same fragrance!

It looks like it has been re-released in the last few years in the original bottle, although I haven't seen it anywhere. Does anyone know if the scent is the original, the weaker one that is lacking in every way from the original, or something else???

UPDATE: Found Tsar in Neiman Marcus today(3/13/11). I stand by my earlier statement. This is NOT the same as it used to be. The best way I can describe it is "Tsar light". I'd have to use several sprays to smell the scent on my skin. Again, this is a watered down version of a former great scent. Tsar has been rendered impotent. This is the current version in the old style dark green bottle packaged in a box that looks like the close up of an emerald. The original box kind of looked like dark green marble.

SURPRISE! I came across a long forgotten 0.24 ounce mini bottle of Tsar this evening(May 1st) while cleaning out the drawers of my bathroom vanity. It was at the very back of the bottom drawer under several small boxed hotel soaps. I don't even remember getting this. It must have been in a gift set I purchased in the late 90's(?). It still smells wonderful. Thick, full, and rich like I remember. FINAL PROOF for me that the current Tsar is definitely still lacking(It's not as deep and rich anymore). Is Tsar a victim of the oak moss ban???

theScot
theScot

A classic, after-shave-like fragrance which I find a bit over the top and lacking in subtlety initially. It does settle down but ultimately disappointing!

jtappenden
jtappenden

Happy memories of this fragrance.In the same category as Xeryus by Givenchy.

guest_MJ
guest_MJ

Does anybody know why there are two different bottles for this fragrance? Thanks

cls
cls

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this one. Not that I didn't like it, what little I can detect. It's so weak it's hardly anything there.
I bought it blind and that's always risky, however, I found it at a good price so I thought why not. This is not in the same category as Azzaro PH or Rive, actually it reminds me a lot of XS by Paco Rabanne. Green, yes and a bit sharp. This would have been a great fragrance, and maybe it was in its original formulation.

guest_guido1967
guest_guido1967

my personal dream scent from 1989,my most wanted fragrance from this time.
i have wonderful memorys when i enjoy this.

hay81hay
hay81hay

i tested today , its very old , smells like after shave ,
lasting ok, but its really not my style.
i don't know how Van Cleef & Arpels made Zanzibar discontinued and still produce this?!?

guest_MilesG
guest_MilesG

In a word, this frag is ritzy. Imagine a man, in his 40's, wearing a bespoke Lanvin tuxedo, John Lobb shoes, a $20000 watch and a $200 haircut. On his arm is a beautiful woman in a Chanel Couture gown, exquisite diamonds gracing her ears, fingers and neck. This is the image that Tsar presents to me. I don't have any of those things (other than the $200 haircut), but Tsar makes me feel like a captain of industry. Massive sillage announces your arrival in a room, even if only a couple of squirts have made their way onto your neck. The fade-down to the mossy, amber base is slow and gentle, intoxicating those around you, drawing them into the warm, gentle cloud of luxury that Tsar emits. A fantastic fragrance that screams luxury, which is entirely appropriate give VC&A's main business of flogging incredibly expensive gems. Gorgeous.

guest_Tsar is Fantastic!
guest_Tsar is Fantastic!

Tsar (original formulation) is a rich, distinctive blend,
both robust and refined; yet, never overpowering.
Fresh, invigorating and at the same time classy, this can be worn to the office (lightly) and also to visit the girlfriend later the same night. Have always enjoyed the response from Ladies on this one - Tsar is a winner. Best for men over 30 - not for little boys that wear Ed Hardy.

guest_Tsar is Marvelous
guest_Tsar is Marvelous

Tsar (original formulation) is a rich, distinctive blend,
both robust and refined; yet, never overpowering.

iconoclast

Truly outstanding! Da best!! Indeed, this is the scent that first got me interested in fragrances back in May 1989 when I bought it in Paris. I reckon I was one of the very first people in the world to buy it, and I remember it already had the unmistakable demeanour of a bonafide classic even in its earliest days. An absolutely timeless classic - saying this is dated is quite ridiculous IMO. Reeks of masculine refinement and sophistication. Even the aftershave splash in its clear dark green bottle was marvellous and full-bodied. I'm so grateful it's back in its old bottle design. My all time favourite green scent; hell, my all time favourite scent - full stop! About the highest praise I can give Tsar is that I love it even more than Azzaro Pour Homme, another unimpeachable classic.

UPDATE: I'm talking here about the "vintage" Tsar that was available in a sturdy dark green marbled bottle with a black top; not the current version in a similar dark green bottle but with a green top (and sadly which I suspect also seems to have been debased, giving it questionable longevity), let alone the one in the silly stripy light green and gold bottle.

instantjim
instantjim

This fragrance is not very common where I live and you'll only find it every now and then - usually in chemist chainstores during special promotions (such as Fathers' Day and the like).

The first time I applied it the Artemisia was very obvious. Artemisia is my favourite note, it is in so many great colognes and perfumes. In Tsar it is accompanied by lavender and spices - a great combination!

Tsar avoids being overly sharp and is much more subdued at the start than Quorum, Bowling Green or Polo (three other fragrances containing similar notes).

I do not find that it 'blows me away' as others have said it does to them. It is the soapiest of the four fragrances mentioned and as such shares something with Paco Rabanne.

I think perhaps the floral notes tone down the green/sharp elements to make this a very well-balanced aromatic/green woody fragrance.

I compared this side by side with Polo by Ralph Lauren and the Polo is much stronger to start. The Polo is also richer and deeper. After a couple of hours the Polo's intensity had dipped noticably, but the Tsar had faded only a small amount, meaning that they were similar in intensity.

Tsar is a classy fragrance.

EDIT - 14 hours after applying it I could still smell the Tsar, the Polo however had totally gone.

murysusanto

A very mature, fresh woody cologne. This one defines a man's character and differ than any other ones. Definetely suitable in a tropical countries. A must have for guys above 30 years old. Score 8.5/10

missan

This is a wonderful classic, belongs to the top mens´cologne of all time IMO. Still have oakmoss in the basenotes.

guest_Grenouille
guest_Grenouille

Phhhhh, this one is a very good perfume. It's well built, spicy, balanced, powerful, classic and full of personality. However, mind the lavender. It's way too strong for me and this gives the perfume the air of an outdated scent. And that is because the lavender became a main component in all sort of detergents, grandma cologne, climatisers etc.
It would be better to try it first, to see if you like it. It's very qualitative, not dull, but mysterious, it has different levels and the scent develops gradually. But it's a question of taste. I would rather smell this perfume on a 50-60 classic traditionalist man.

If you want masculine and sexy, look no further, Tsar is exactly what you need.

I'll admit that when I first sprayed this, I was almost blown over backwards by its boldness and strength. The opening was extremely overwhelming, a little too strong some would say.

However, giving it a few minutes to settle I found myself falling in love. Tsar is rich, masculine, spicy and complex. I couldn't help noticing a chocolatey like note which doesn't seem to be listed here. I'm not talking light and sweet milk chocolate, I'm talking strong, bitter and rich dark chocolate, liquefied and oozing.

Don't be afraid of the floral notes listed here, because I can assure you that they are very subtle. The coriander, green notes, lavender, juniper berries, caraway, leather, patchouli and amber dominate this fragrance.

Yes, the scent is a little soapy, especially in the drydown, but I don't find that a turn off at all. In fact I would definitely consider buying this for a man of great confidence and strength. Everything about Tsar screams masculinity and there's really nothing like it. It's a one of kind type scent.

shamus1
shamus1

An excellent spicy aromatic fougere that fortunately is very reasonably priced, having been around for so long. Unlike other aromatic fougeres like Azzaro, Paco Rabanne and YSL Rive Gauche, Tsar focuses on being very spicy and green. Go easy on the application because it's pretty loud and can cause others to choke if sprayed on too liberally. Tsar is truly a classic, which probably explains why it's been a consistent seller for so long. Excellent.

Eros
Eros

My first expensive perfume. I had it 15 years ago, and I love it, but my girl-friend (now my wife) think it is "too green". I dont think so. It is very open, definitely green. It is complex, but not depressing. It is airy and has "expensive sound". For office and also for the night.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Its not for every body...
Its masculine, elegant. Not sweet, not overpowering but strong.
Very notable green accords... with a crispy note of lavender.
Very aromatic!!!
And the dry down its like incense for my nose.
Interesting...
This have something tender :) and something relaxing :)

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

One of my fiance's best friends wears Tsar and women love it on him- I don't know if it's the lavender, the caraway, the coconut. Maybe because he's also a Warren Beatty lookalike :). Anyway, Tsar is a nice smell.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels 4.00 out of 5 based on 436 ratings and 115 user reviews

EAU DE TSAR for MEN by Van Cleef Arpels EDT .24 OZ MINI
Tsar Cologne by Van Cleef Arpels, 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Tsar Cologne by Van Cleef Arpels, 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Tsar Cologne by Van Cleef Arpels, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Tsar Cologne by Van Cleef Arpels, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.