Designers » T-Z » Leather « Groups

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme Van Cleef & Arpels for men

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme Van Cleef & Arpels for men
dislike

leather

This classical leather scent for men appeared at the time when ultimate intensive chypre and masculine leather fragrances were very popular. It became a synonym for classical men's elegance in the world of fragrances.

The fresh aromatic opening includes the notes of basil, bergamot, green notes, juniper berries, marjoram, thyme and lavender. The heart is warm and even hot, featured with woody notes of Guaiac, patchouli and vetiver, tender floral and sensual spices. Dark and mysterious, masculine base notes are composed of amber, castoreum, smoky incense, dark leather, oak moss and musk. The perfume was created by Louis Monnet in 1978.

Juniper Berries Lavender Green Notes Basil Caraway Bergamot Marjoram Sage Citruses

Artemisia Carnation Patchouli Orris Root Jasmine Cloves Vetiver Cedar Rose Spicy Notes

Labdanum Leather Amber Musk Coconut Oakmoss Sandalwood

Leonard Pour Homme

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

wnd
wnd

I just took out my reformulated VCA pour homme (with tree moss) and gave it a full proper wearing today since I'm staying home. I smell a very strong earthy incense and rose for the first 2 hours, followed by some faint leather after that. After 8 hours, the incense is still going strong, but the leather is gone. It becomes Nag Champa until I shower. I don't think I'll ever wear this in public. Another great fragrance damaged by bad reformulation.

spartan
spartan

Ok.. Just bought A 3.3oz New bottle..blind buy.. mistake... This juice may have been Good way back in 1978...when it first came out...BUT the new Juice is just A synthetic MESS...has A nice undertone..But there is A strong Chemical smell that just powers thru to the top of this fragrance and kills it for me..
I wore it 3 times ..to be sure.. Same every time.. This juice is just A shell of what it once was..of that I am sure.. Pass......Selling mine at auction.....
Give me AZZARO or Grey Flannel...any day of the week over this...

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Uncle lawrence worked down the coal pit and the house continually carried the odour of imperial leather soap. I stayed there when I was 7 or less. It all comes back. The comfort and the security and the adoration. Daddy figure. And now I'm 46 and the naivety turns to experience. .......11pm in the darkroom, eager and willing and never contemplating no as an answer when he smells like this.

renzo
renzo

the signature scent of Serge Gainsbourg..

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander

This starts with a strong rose soap scent and gets very leathery later. I imagine that some women would like this one.
I think it's probably too floral and feminine to wear on it's own, but it gives Antaeus the boost it needs. For anyone who likes strong, heavy fragrances this is a great ingredient for layering.
Difficult to find in the UK. I've seen it twice in TKmaxx in six months.

sarabx5
sarabx5

I used to wear this in latest 80's with L'Homme of Versace.

Amazing fragrance, classy and elegant, projects like a monster, 2 sprays and it's fine for 24 hours, but it's a retro scent and not the a taste of today any more.

You can find it on line for $ 25 easily.

It's hard to find a performance for a cologne like this one in these days ...... unfortunately.

kuba
kuba

Gorgeous,period.the first i came across a person wearing this one i couldn't stop my self from asking its name.its airy fragrances, once you pass somewhere you leave traces. Bvlgari Pour homme Soir copied a bit of it, especially the drydown.SEX

no-fi
no-fi

This is elegance in a bottle.

Warm and inviting, yet subtly mysterious, Van Cleef is a true gentleman. The rich dominant notes are rose and leather. The rose is earthy and woody, while the leather evokes a beautifully bound book or an elegant leather-topped writing desk. These notes are bolstered by smoky spices, moss and grassy vetiver. Yes, this is a soapy scent, but it is not of the cheap laundry soap variety. Rather, it is the kind of soap one would expect in an exclusive barbershop or the en-suite of a gentleman's country manor. The overall effect is sensuous, refined and elegant.

By today's standards, Van Cleef is a strong and rich fragrance. This is definitely a scent for winter or night - and preferably, a winter's night. A younger man could pull this off, but only if suitably attired - a suit, shirt and cleanly shaved face would be the bare minimum. And go easy on the sprayer - I made the mistake of using four sprays before heading to work recently. A colleague made a strange face and asked, not in a good way: "Are you wearing perfume?" Lesson learned. Two to three sprays, max.

Thus far, I haven't met a Van Cleef I don't like. If Tsar is the adventurous conqueror and Midnight in Paris the gallivanting lover, Van Cleef is the true patriarch of the family - dignified, assured, respected and admired. A true classic - 10/10.

nexangelus
nexangelus

Smoky, spicy, herbal and leathery rose. Absolute perfection. This beats the feminine Rose en Noir for me, by quite a long shot. Where ReN is soapy, green and very musky, this sings loudly. I am using a vintage miniature and have no idea how the modern reformulation holds up. A true classic. Thumbs up VC&A, I have found a new love outisde of the collection extraordinaire.

sir reeksalot
sir reeksalot

goodness gracious please someone help me! it is so strong and scary.it smells like perfumed toilet paperx10.i love it for the first 1/10 second then it just grabs me. after i take a close deep whiff,everything else around me turns leathery.my olfactory changed after smelling this and now i doubt all my colognes' scents.so strange.

ledlight
ledlight

This was my blind buy and i made big mistake,not expensive but it is horrible scent,too strong that instantly gaves you a headache and can last more then 12 hours.Tested only once on my skin and had to run to the bathroom to wash my hand because of the strong scent,,later i find out that this fragrance Indian people love it,because one of my friend ( i gave him as a gift ) says that is the best perfume he ever had :/ ... To be honest some people will like but BIG NO from me...

Scent 0/10
Longevity 10/10
Silage 10/10

NapoleonLives
NapoleonLives

For those of you that don't get this fragrance, you need to start over at square 1.

s kant
s kant

Classic, strong, sophisticated. Captures the essence of pure leather. A mix of leather,rose and few other notes it becomes a real classic.Overpowering but it smells deep, dark and absolute luxury. a must buy for powerhouse lovers.

123Boston
123Boston

If I had to name a base note for this, it would be ammonia layered over soap. That's so contrary to all the glowing things most others have to say that I have to wonder if it's a personal body chemistry thing, but this is a one and done for me.

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Bright, dry, soapy rose (and carnation?); straight from the barber shop.

VCAPH is sharp, but approachable. I could see how some folks might confuse it with being "old man" but it's not. This mature gentleman is enjoying a successful, lucrative career and is not even close to retiring.

This is not a jeans and tshirt fragrance. Rather, it's the perfect accompaniment to a tailored, blue, pinstripe suit, black wingtips, a crisp white shirt, and a red or blue tie; bonus for suspenders and non-hardening hair dressing.

If you're wearing this and your nails aren't trimmed, you're doing it wrong.

celebrity89
celebrity89

I think the creators of this had British Sterling in mind. They just made it more elegant, less soapy. I had a blond, blue eyed ex who wore this, but it's deep spiciness is more suited to brunettes.

lee99
lee99

All I get is straight up soapy rose! Way too much rose and soap so it's a dislike for me.

Wolfpocalypse Now
Wolfpocalypse Now

This fragrance is so good for its price that I honestly feel like I ripped Van Clef & Arpels off -- it is truly a steal. To me, this is soapiness and rose done right. The leather and spices give it a peculiar and intriguing darkness. The main words I would use to describe it are "dry," "clean," and "reserved." This is a fine, fine gentleman's cologne.

Porsborg
Porsborg

Cent of ROYALTY !

nina3
nina3

Elegant scent. Stylish bottle. No frills nor sweets here.
I bought this for a friend, luckily he loves it and so I get to enjoy it as well.
Very good silage and longevity on him. It slips from sturdy (yet not overpowering) leather into something little softer towards the evening. Slightly impersonal quality to it, in a good way, a nice balance between a little formal-yet not too distant.
Happy to have found this.

chopshop
chopshop

Classy. Classic. Manliness. You will need some self confidence and refinement to pull this off well. Good luck.

vonMises

I pity the nose that can't enjoy this gem.

Ray Achnioach
Ray Achnioach

This is a very sophisticated, masculine fragrance. Others have noted that it is "soapy". Yes it is but in a way that conveys a kind of powerful maturity. This is not a scent that would wear well on a young welp of a man. It is a clean smelling leather/floral, a bit powdery and green. While it is certainly very masculine and projects a aura of a gentleman of some power it is not a very romantic or sexy fragrance. Van Cleef Pour Homme is best for occasions of formality, important meetings or socializing perhaps with cigars and fine whisky with other convivial gentlemen. It not the best choice for the bedroom or a romantic encounter. I would recommend this noble frangrance as part of the rotation of frangrances enjoyed by a well dressed gentleman.

diego.lesgart

Powerfull and strong. Only for winter nights. Smells like a licqueour, sweet and resinous but really hard. The male version of La Nuit by Paco Rabanne, First, Femme by Rochas, Coco and Armani for women 82, ...

Recent Purchased Important Update ::

As my bottle was quite used up, I thought about advanced restoring before running out, and friends the most UNUSUAL /a First kind of thing happened.
If you've read my many reviews about many classic perfumes recently,you surely know I'm not snobbish about current formulations,rather I'm quite open and accepting eg. Azzaro PH(Plz.check it, you'll love it!)aco Rabbane PH,Kouros etc. But this Jewelry Co. turned Perfume House has crossed all boundaries in Corporate Greed, Shameful Business Morals /Ethics, in short about a hundred plus perfume collected and experienced in past twenty years of Sniff-Love,I'd never encountered a WORSE FORMULATION.
Its very peculiarity being the similarities to the Vintage!
I'm really surprised with the strongly present Castoreum and Incense straight upfront!
But, .........

But, this amazing smell only lasted EXACTLY /PRECISELY /ON CLOCK
TWO HOURS yes, you heard it right, 2-Hrs.,thence, POOF, ZILCH, NADA ......

Surprisingly, I will still recommend it because it's utterly similar appearance to Vintage's elements. I only wear this indoors, re applying every two hours!!
Its as if NASA had made it to last two hours EXACTLY!!!

Bottle production :2013

Happy Sniffing!

MoonB
MoonB

This stuff should be called Rose for men. High class rose like nothing I smelled before. Not dark but totally mysterious. This thing is a die hard, keeps on going on the skin and projects like crazy, people will know you're there when you're wearing it. One of the best rose perfumes for men.

Pares
Pares

Hello everybody.. Well, I bought VC&A PH 100ml yesterday...
It's the 2nd reformulation on (Tester) Box..
Holy molly, it's Veery masculine and High Quality "Herbal-Soapy"scent..Also Im getting the "leaf" smoky note at the drydown (Yes for real).. And finally, may there is a "hidden" Castoreum note that deceives the mind..
Anyway,my conclusions doesn't matter that much.. This is new experience for me.. Not bad at all.. I just feel lucky for the good purchase to 30 euros..

Scent: 7 (Not for everyone, not for very high temperature)

Sillage: 7.5 (3-7 feet at first 120 min)

Longevity: 9 (8-12 hours)

@Sezyvex

I'm from India myself and fondly study Asian spices.Trust me brother there's nothing remotely reminiscent of "Achaar" or India Pickle! It mostly could be the Castoreum meddling between spices, oily leather and moss! Yes! It does rings a vibe of the Spice Bazaar I frequently go through! And most likely you've gotten a Bad/spoiled bottle.
Anyway, do try it from a tester bottle sometime in future, you might get surprised!

Gud luck ,
Happy Sniffing
( to everyone!)

sam ldh

First of all how many castoreum loaded masculine scents do we have around us friends? NONE! Thus, the very limited availabilitisy is lending a unique novelty to this classic perfume.This is Mr.Monnet's beautiful, innovative creation in which Roses were experimentally used in an ultimate masculine background of Castoreum, Incense, Dark and richly oiled Leather and exotic spice/woods composition.
I personally love(seriously crazy!) animalics with Ambergiris, Castoreum and Civet.Van Cleef contains Castoreum with Incense (another love ) in it's mysterious, darkness accented drydown.The smoky incense is smoldering alongside leather smells fantastic! I can disect it's notes furthermore, but it will probably diminish your personal joy a person experiences when wearing a scent!
However, if you despise animalic notes, better trying a sample would suffice.
But, if like myself you dig animalic oily skanky-ness in your scents, you will definitely love this, even if blind-bought!!

Sillage is just short of a powerhouse,but longevity is easily 10 hours plus on me, despite my skin being normal to slightly drier in winter.
So, even if you have dry skin unlike my normal skin, this scent will easily get you through a complete workday.Easily!

Gud luck,
Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

P.S. Don't give into the Vintage Vs Reformulated blabber of some snobbish people on the internet! Whichever, you can get easily and lowest priced would be best for your experiencing this Gem by Mr.Monnet!

Macassar
Macassar

a "soapy rose in a church"...elegantissssssime

ZELJO
ZELJO

Have seen exactly this same bottle with the name Tsar there, different versions of Tsar or simply using the ,most succesful,lTsar line to try to sell it better?

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

I can see why this gets compared to Antaeus a lot - it's dark and brooding and the leathery touch is more like a punch in the face. It's very 'muscular' - a bicep of a fragrance. But I still think it is very different.

Whereas I feel Antaeus winds up being a little fresher than this, I get a very peppery more 'real' leather quality which lasts throughout the wear, which is totally unlike Antaeus to me.

Definately distinctive and certainly not dated as I can think of many a formal situation where this would fit right in.

To me, it is more a fragrance of power (as in Chairman of a Central Bank 'power'). If I'm wearing this, and you come to talk to me, you should have something to worthwhile to say otherwise don't bother.

smokysymphony
smokysymphony

Men's rose.

It starts leathery, bold, and very masculine. Then rose shows up when it settles. It gets cleaner and quieter, but not feminine at all.

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is a true vintage one.

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

now this is a great stuff...masculine leather and rose combo that lasts, lasts and lasts (and its projection is beast as well), this is what I call a timeless classic (together with Antaeus) 9.25/10

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

Just got this one without having ever tried it before -they don't sell it in stores here and I also needed to spend a little more money to get free shipping on a gift.
What I get is a soft deep dark rose satin blanket dusted with powder which envelopes like a cloud. This lasts a while then it starts to waft and sink and starts to become a little more transparent like a fog. Little hints and peaks of spice and herbs start coming through, and on with the progression they become stronger and give a mezmerizing contrast of a tangy herbal sour quality. It must be the basil, thyme, marjoram, and juniper listed in the ingredients giving this effect. The spicyness is light, like cedar, but maybe in warmer weather it would shine through more. Everything about this perfume is soft, like a satin pillow, with finely roughened edges from the spice and powder. It can seem very soapy too, like shavings off a bar of soap.
I like it quite a bit - plus I like powder. Pretty strong and long lasting perfume, which is nice - I can smell it clearly and it lasts. Great scent. One of my favorites.

fuggerone
fuggerone

had a bottle and it smelled like cheap hotel soap bar..guess it was a batch from early 2K's.. had several bottles and this juice always amazes me for its architecture that spells old school... surely not for the teen age party goer, he should stay with One Million, but if you really dig true scents.. this is ONE!

pomusthafa
pomusthafa

Last 30 years I am having this.what a leather and longevity ,sillage is fantastic.i never drop this one.very good for night.

Ricardo the Great
Ricardo the Great

Great vintage classic. Class in a bottle.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

Think of this about VC&A PH...
You are sitting down in a gent's bar after a black tie event... Your silk bowtie is undone, and so is your shirt, and you are relaxing with a Cuban cigar that you can smoke in public with your dry martini... and you suddenly realize that the greatest things in life are those little luxuries.
This is an amazing fragrance. A macho statement, and that's ok. Moderation, like premium gin, is the key here. Maximum four sprays.
I have recently gone on a binge with the classics and I am so excited I rediscovered this beauty. Is it dated? Well, that is a matter of personal opinion. I didn't care much for this in its heyday and I fell over backwards for it in the 90's, when the f***ing aquatics reign supreme. To me, it's the beauty of wearing what in the moment is meaningful to you. It's an expression of your individuality. Even if the rest of the world massively follows elsewhere. Just express yourself.

kanak
kanak

VCA Pour Homme is very old school formal. The main notes I get are leather, lavender, vetiver, and oakmoss in the top and heart notes while it dries down to a mostly musky sandalwood. It is a dark, slightly heavy fragrance, making it suitable only for cooler weather and formal occasions and I dont see anyone in their teens and twenties going anywhere near this. I have no idea what it smelled like in it's heyday and my review is strictly for the current formulation and I am mostly indifferent to it. There are bits and pieces, notes here and there I like but as a whole, something here does not quite fit. I am a fan of old school frags and I feel every note VCA Pour homme tries to pull off, I have smelled better versions done elsewhere in other classics. Projection is moderate and longevity is decent so all good there. I am not totally writing this one off yet. I'll give it another shot in the winter months. I might just grow to like it yet. As it stands, I am neutral towards it. 5/10

Edit- I do not like the dry down on this after a few wearings. I get a synthetic burnt rubber like note which might be the leather in combination with something else. Just does not work for me.

Asylumin
Asylumin

Really oldtimer. Not for everyone. Believe me, its not for today's taste. Forget to blindbuy it.

bobosan336
bobosan336

A powerhouse fragrance. Strong, spicy, powedery. Very manly. Too strong for today's tastes, and perhaps one could call it dated. Certainly unique today - noone makes them this strong and unabashedly manly now. Lasts and lasts and projects like it should - enough to be present and noticeable, not enough to fill a room or choke people out.

I wore this in formal settings, definitly not a casual or work scent. It's a nice item to have in ones collection. Bottle is quite iffy, leaked a bit, the atomizer was terrible and broke too.

rafaelollero
rafaelollero

Excellent
For Actual Dandies
*****

gill007
gill007

its a GEM that people don't know about these days. Average young men are more inclined towards spice bomb or armani code (nothing is wrong with that) and they dun even bother to smell this old masterpiece.
Give it a go, smells GREAT. i love spice notes . smells bit sweet to my nose at opening, which is very pleasant. reminds me of Rive gauche(YSL) once it settles down.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A fabulous perfume for men! This is luxurious, elegant and gorgeous. Floral, soapy long lasting and spicy with great sillage. The rose note is quite prominent especially in the dry-down but not overly done. The woods, leather and spices are perfectly blended. I have to say that, for me, this is a classic!

lovetribe

tonight after years i wear this scent...it was in my favourite...but in last time i preffer new scent.....
error...the old scent are the best!!!!!
what sillage and longevity.dsquared potion royal black is a poor copy of this magic parfum!!!!!!!
class!!!

ewan_cyrano
ewan_cyrano

Very strong scent and powdery at the same time... Unique fragrance, which is very long lasting... Two sprays are just enough... It reminds me the Burberry Brit that I got the sample from department store...

houstcs
houstcs

This along with some other major players (kouros) are great but I have such a hard time with the openings and getting past certain notes that i struggle with, the public restroom smell, it makes them scary to wear all day. While I am enjoying the dry down, when I first put this on my 7 year old daughter actually said "I think I am going to vomit" while she didnt know why, I did! (I have started her a nice collection, her favorite being Bottega veneta) People suggest on this sight "I'm not man enough" but I think these scents just have a cult following and they really aren't that great.
I will give the opening 1/5 and the dry down 3.5/5

blaiseantoine
blaiseantoine

this frag come directly from the old big perfume school ,this makes me think how men smells in the past days and i really find in it an attractive and elegant way to make a man feel sexy ,this smells of barber shop ,floral soap ,spices not so leathery imho ,anyway i ve blindly bought this and im very satisfied

jozemo
jozemo

A nice deep leather and floral scent ,with a elegant drydown,a nice winter cologne good for when stepping out with your lady on the town,inexpensive and rich smelling,a good one for the collection vintage scents.

luxurius and elegant!!

orestes
orestes

the dry down reminds me(a little)the vintage oscar de la renta pour lui,a little...

aLmoravado
aLmoravado

The dry-down is much better than the initial burst. I don't see many of the good things that the reviews are talking about. Not bad, but again, nothing great either.

Critic
Critic

An unrefined Antaeus. Has a green opening similar to giorgio beverley hills red. Quickly transitions into a shocking, sharp and brash leather. The leather calms down and reveals an oakmoss-rose-patchouli combo with the animalic leather rounding things up.

Very similar to Antaeus in the drydown.

Where Antaeus has castoreum, VC&A PH has leather.

Antaeus is better, smoother and much more refined. This is rough around the edges but makes for a great alternative.

It also costs 5 times less.

Update: Perception can change so quickly. I've had time to really wear this and I'm in love.

A pleasant fresh lavender opening that quickly settles into a sublime spicy animalic leather. It's near identical to Antaeus that I'm convinced this has castoreum in it.

Warm, inviting and really quite tame. It's luxurious and quite well done. It's an old school formula but the reformulations have kept it quite current and totally wearable.

On a cool winter night, this would be intoxicating. Just beautiful.

Oh.. it lasts forever too!

7.5/10.

I've updated it to 9.0/10

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Not my best buy this one. Smells like an old Palmolive soap and so complex that it gives me headaches... I will try again another day as maybe it depends on the mood and the moment, but I'm not too optimistic...

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

This one is STRONG!!! A typical 80-ies scent. Antaeus and Santos are weak comparing to this one! There is something I like about this fragrance, because it's so strong, classy and masculine, but I just don't know how to use it because one spray is almost too much..

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

One of the few examples of where I differ from the Leffingwell genealogie chart for masculine fragrances, which only dates up to 2001, unfortunately. They cite VC&A PH as a woody-leathery chypre, where in fact it smells more like a fresh aromatic fougere in the Drakkar Noir/Azzaro PH axis. There is an explosive hit of lavender and bergamot off the top notes, with a slight whiff of geranium, followed by a slightly sweet, warm-fresh coumarinic accord of rose, patchouli, wormwood, and amber. I do smell synthetic labdanum, which may account for the chypre classification, and there's definitely quite a bit of moss, both "oak" and "tree," as detected by my nose, and as listed on my box. The heart accord is a rich array of notes, ranging from the sweetness of jasmine, to peppery carnation, and the juniper hangs in. The base is mossy, woody (mostly cedar), and very pleasant, a rich, clean effect.

As Grottola and a few other people have pointed out, that effect is reminiscent of Dial Gold bar soap. I have another interpretation though: old-fashioned Edwardian Hammam soap. The rose and carnation make VC&A PH somewhat of a throwback scent. In any case, it's soapy, it's fresh, it's rather bright and clean in its current form, and I can't imagine anyone being offended by it. Easy on the application, because it's strong, and has considerable throw.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

Yes, it's dark spicy and powerful. I don't get any leather notes. Longevity on me is 8 + hours. My only complaint is the soapyness. Other than that it's a terrific choice for fall an winter. Glad to have it.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

I truly like old-school fragrances. I am a child of the late 70's and early 80's. That is me.

VC&A pour home is a classy, elegant, refined and gentleman like fragrance. I would even wear it for a night out. Some time ago I considered it one of the three top choices for a signature fragrance amongst Antaeus by Chanel and Burbery London Men, so good it is.

But it is, oh, so soapy. Apart from that - because the soapy part ends - it is pure high class.

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

What a great creature this is. Dark, mysterious and sensual. It reminds me of a dark night with an old gothic mansion. I really love this, this is a classic masterpiece. Old is gold.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

Not a leather scent at all. All I got from the first spray(on paper) was a very strong soapy accord joined by floral notes.

I could definitely tell the 'age' in this fragrance. It might smell outdated for some people.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I can just see the forum thread title now: "What would the Masque of the Red Death wear?" It's so sweet and heavy. Old Victorian lady heavy. Dead wilting flowers heavy: black, brown, and brownish oranges and yellows. Honey combined with the strongest-smelling detergent ever made, whose fetid vapors seep into your lungs and suffocate you. It isn't a sugary dessert sweetness like many recent scents, but an army of menacing zombie flowers rising from the forest floor and lurching toward you. I sprayed one shot in my living room, and it felt sickly and stifling, transforming the room into a turn-of-the-century harlot's boudoir. Objectively, I'll grant that it's a fascinatingly rich scent, and I couldn't even begin to identify all of the ingredients. But it's just so terribly impractical for me...unwearable, and almost un-room-sprayable (which is unheard of) in case I just wanted to contemplate it. I could only wear it with a tuxedo while conversing with senior diplomats at the King of Sweden's ball, which means never (unless some idiot gives me a Nobel Prize)...even an ordinary suit would leave me feeling pretentious and overbearing with this scent. I need to go dunk my head in a bucket of 4711 now.

Grottola
Grottola

Not so much a leather fragrance as it is a soapy-herbal chypre. In fact, I'd say Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (at least the current formulation) smells extremely close to Dial Gold soap. Not everyone is a fan of that smell, but I actually love it. This stuff is also quite strong - not POWERHOUSE strong, but strong enough to announce your presence. I can only imagine how strong the vintage stuff was.

Overall, I really do like this stuff. It's a bit dated, but that doesn't really matter to me. Just be warned - if you're looking for a bona fide leather, go elsewhere.

lovetribe

old fragrance,barber shop,polite and very very elegant!!!!!!!!!for 35 old to up.

Mario Rosario
Mario Rosario

Definitely a great classic imho! Starts out as rather soapy and develops into a dark and mysterious scent which I find pleasant.
A real plus for this perfume is its longevity - on my skin is last easily for a whole day and more, so to be used sparingly!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I wish I could smell all the notes you other reviewers get out of this one. I don't get leather at all - and I especially don't smell Antaeus (which I love)!

After a really interesting, dark and complex initial spray I get a dreadful, overpowering SOAP smell. It caused both my wife and daughter-in-law to make stink faces.

A total scrubber, I am sorry to report. I had high hopes for it.

vonMises

There are different fragrances, but none better on the planet.
Just see Kaze and Roldan, below.

ROLDAN
ROLDAN

My first impression was: "I wearing something so old-fashioned" !?! Hmm Such a fool!, I clearly underestimated this wonderful creation leaving it on the shelf for a long time. Once I took a risk again. WOW! Now, I fall in love each time I'm wear this fragrance. Longevity and sillage are great! I love the dry-down when a whole bunch is completely opened. Stars sparkling in the dark night-sky. Clock already struck a midnight hour. Imagine a huge cabinet with antique leather furniture and shelves full of old books. Gentleman dressed in a suit smoking a cigar and sitting at a massive desk with some gold accessories around. Expensive cognac sits hidden in a crystal decanter. Light dulled and the atmosphere is full of mystery and adventures of Sherlock Holmes . Pure dark elegance. Oh Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme!

Mirabilis
Mirabilis

Classy,elegant,dark.Better to wear it in winter,and if you want to drink the coffee alone go to a classy coffee in a cold winter morning with a newspaper and enjoy it.

Kaze
Kaze

''You cannot see me, hear me, or touch me. I lie behind the stars and alter what is real, I am what you really fear. Close your eyes and I come near. What am I?''

Darkness.

There's something goth-like about VCA PH. Something dark and mysterious. It's a powerful fragrance with the substantial amount of passion regarding it's notes as it builds.

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is a true gem. It evokes everything that is dark, elusive and complex. The opening to this fragrance is very exotic with a fresh-soapy floral and herbaceous note which after a while transitions into a very warm, dark and sensual leather musk.

The Patchouli, deep rose, amber, oak moss, lavender, artemesia, and leather like a symphony orchestra, create nothing other than excellence.

1 spray on each pulse point (be gentle with the trigger) and you're in for a romantic journey. If not, a journey to the unknown.

I get 10+ hours. Great longevity, great silage. Compliment galore.

Linden
Linden

Wow, definitely not what I was expecting-scent wise. Yes, it's deep and dark, a bit mysterious and very 70's. VC&A is both cool and warm simultaneously. Quite bitter-green in the opening, then dives into a herbal-floral mix with warm spicy nuances. Transitions very smoothly into the base, where slightly dirty leather, moss and cool powdery musk appear. I wouldn't say this is a beast in terms of projection, likely a result of reformulation; longevity is quite good.

RayFlash
RayFlash

No leather, no rose, just a regular piece of... soap. Pass.

RebelKnightCSA
RebelKnightCSA

This is great stuff, right here. The top notes smell very exotic; like Opium, but for men. The herby, spicy scent comes across as a very expensive soap, and the rosy basenotes bring this whole fragrance to a wonderful finish. The entire effect is very formal and exotic, and lasts a good long time besides. The only downside is that you have to be at least 35 years old to pull this off (I'm a 38 year old man). If you're under 21, you shouldn't wear this, as you'll come off as a try-hard. Great for all times and all seasons when you want to smell great. HIGHLY recommended!

murysusanto
murysusanto

Sexy stuff! Blends well with cigarette smell.

napoleonica
napoleonica

I love this fragance.My favorite for men.

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

a trully classic leather fragrance.it's a masculine scent and a very elegant one.it's for a man that he is simple,elegant and knows what he wants.long lasting and good sillage

krmarich
krmarich

I blind bought this rare treasure upon saintlunaire's suggestion. Thank you, mon ami! So many comments below are so accurate. Thank you, gentlemen!

I was lucky to find a vintage original and I am so impressed with it in every way. Van Cleef & Arpels was the first jeweler to offer fine fragrance. This is one of the finest. It shimmers like a radiant diamond.

This is another example of perfume perfection. Its youthful, yet for men only. Its not dated, like I expected. Its a timeless classic in all respects. The nose created a masterpiece. Lightning never strikes twice.

Since it was released in 1978, Antaeus and Oscar de Larenta PL attempted to imitate its magic. Indeed, they both resemble it in their own beauty. This was obviously a trendsetter that introduced the dense, heavy, elegant leathery floral that are now lost in time...Nothing really can compare to the original VCA.

Its dark, complexity is hard to describe-leather, rose, oakmoss, jasmine, vetiver, patcholi and artemesia all blend together so well. It is very clean-NO animalic notes at all. The florals come forward, like no other for men. Perhaps that why I love it so.

It luscious texture, gently flirts. It is very formal and artistic. Perfect to wear to the opera, museum or a fine restaurant. Due to its rarity, I only would use it on very special occasions. If you are curious, by all means try VCA PH!!!

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

With a great pleasure i found yesterday VCA homme that i wore on the 80's.
I m surprise to see a confidential parfume without marketing campaign still sells in the traditional network. Thank you Van Cleef !
The jus seems unchanged, bipolar, bright and dark both.
A beautiful floral Fougeres on smoked woods. Always very up to date, and less more connoted 80's than the animalistic Kouros.
Monsieur Louis Monnet made an original masterpiece,do you know others Parfumes created by him ? Any suggestions are welcome.

diego.lesgart

Poderoso, embriagante cuan bebida alicorada ... fuerte, potente, un golpe embriagador, solo en noches de invierno...

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Absolutely gets my stamp of approval. Just about everything has already been said about this. A wonderful dry masculine fragrance. Classic is the word for this. I would suggest trying to find the vintage so you get the intended amount of oakmoss with this, otherwise for the price, this is a definite for those who like old school masculines. Has all the markers.

necromancer
necromancer

Ok, let me catch my breath, what a CLASSIC! Woody, floral, dry, manly...and I mean MASCULINE scent for a man, a confident man. It resembles a lot to Antaeus or even Azzaro Pour Homme. A really A+ fragrance for men, you don't have this kind of high quality perfume anymore these days, so go and get it before it's too late.

Migalex
Migalex

This one is very very similar to Lagerfeld (the original one), seems in fact to be a copy of it, smells very much of powdery (iris) patchouly, but I find Lagerfeld more wearable, although I think this one is a very good fragrance, dense and complex, as you do not find many these days.
Update - I actually find this one the fragrance for men with the stongest character on the market. And also very strong and with very good silage. In the same league as parfum de peau, Bocheron for women and Knowing. A real pleasure to wear. Six stars out of five.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

Well,
Its safe to say that i dont like leathers. This cologne smells like i literally took ashes out of a bonfire and rubbed it on myself. I dont think this is a desirable fragrance personally. I am really REALLY trying to get away from my clean and fresh, typical, boring stuff but this is the wrong direction for me.

amilcar
amilcar

Maybe one of the best leather fragrance, classic, elegant and distinguished from others. Well in the family with Trussardi Uomo, OscardeLaRenta Pour Loui the VCL is the best, specially compared of modern citrus-sweet fragrances. A must have.

ssg
ssg

I'm afraid that I agree with leecher88 in that there is a note that is really not pleasant! From the bottle it smells vaguely similar to Antaeus, (and this is the vintage VC&A I'm talking about) but in the drydown, it smells cheap and very dated, like Azzaro! Very strident and not pleasant. Luckily I only bought a small 7ml bottle with which to test it...

Am quite surprised by some of the rave reviews here... and even more surprised that such a classy perfume house as VC&A could have produced this fragrance, given they have also produced such a fab, and very sadly discontinued, fragrance like Zanzibar!

I road tested this fragrance with a couple of female colleagues and they felt similarly... do NOT blind buy this fragrance as I did!

missan
missan

Anybody know how the different formulations are marked? I´d presume both the boxes and the bottles are different.

samihardanian
samihardanian

I love this one, it smells so leathery,manly,clean, this is a jewel.
My wife love it.very sexy and lady killer.
یک کار قدیمی مربوط به زمانیکه عطرهای چرمی و جاذب پرطرفدار بودند.آدم یاد دوران گذشته و فیلمهائی مثل کازابلانکا و هنرپیشه فقید همفری بوگارت می افتد

I was able to acquire a bottle of the original Leonard Pour Homme before this one. I read that the two are very similar, so I didn't pursue getting a bottle of this one with much zeal. Eventually, someone offered a swap so because I didn't like that other fragrance I agreed. My first impression was, this is not a fragrance that could have been made in 1978. It has a powerful "laundry musk" quality. It is mostly a "blob" and it's obnoxious. Yes, you can tell lavender is in here, but that and the laundry musk really dominate. I consider it an absolute disgrace to "the art of perfume." The one I had was in a box with a brown leafy design (fortunately, I found someone who wanted this specific formulation, and I swapped it). If the original was very similar to vintage Leonard Pour Homme, though, I can understand why people like it. LPH is "formal" but quite rich and interesting.

UPDATE: I was able to sample the vintage Concentree formulation and indeed it is very similar to vintage Leonard Pour Homme. Has anyone sampled both regular and Concentree formulations? If so, is the Concentree just stronger? I think I like the Leonard one better, as it seems to possess better balance, but this is the kind of scent I can wear once every few weeks so I think I'm set, with my 100 ml bottle of the Leonard.

UPDATE #2: I have acquired some of the vintage formulation and it's lighter than the Concentree, with more obvious rose. So, this is a little lighter than vintage Leonard Pour Homme and with an emphasis on rose instead of carnation. I guess today this is viewed by most as formal and "old fashioned," but it's one the aficionado should at least sample. And that reformulation in the black box with brown leaf patterns is just quite different, IMO, though I guess it could be used to announce your presence, if that's what you're seeking.

AquaCitrus
AquaCitrus

this is one of those fragrances that you love somedays and hate on others! very masculine and strong. some similarities with paco rabbane's classic green bottled homme fragrance. but for me it sometimes has this strong "sweaty, armpit-y" note that really puts me off!! sorry if i'm being gross!! its definitely very dated...

instantjim
instantjim

For a long time I read people referring to this in discussions about powerhouse fragrances. It is not available in my local area and so I had to buy it blind off the internet. I am glad I did.

There are a number of fragrances jostling for top ten positions in my wardrobe and in walks VCA and procedes to strut towards the front of the cue. I like the fragrance so much I am prepared to anthropomorphise!

Leather, artemisia and rose are the main players in this opera and they are supported by a large cast of floral and herbaceous notes. To me the simplest way to describe this is: it's like a floral version of Polo. I have the most recent reformulation, which apparently is better than its predecessor.

This is a much more robust fragrance than its stablemate Tsar and in my opinion is far superior to it.

oxm
oxm

Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme, brings all his years and are 33, then this fragrance has been a must, but today I just can not hear, the predominant note is the leather that reveals the flowers almost any way you look out the 'shutter a camera that has a dark and ancient, remember when the cave men to defend themselves from wild beasts lit the fires?
Will be smoking in the fire, but this scent evokes the wild, and then all this ...... if I take a leather scent I definitely old style of Cartier Santos on this is that it is really great.

ANSD
ANSD

Classic!! My father used to wear it, and then i wore it too. This is a powerful fragrance that lasts all day on my skin. This is suitable to wear on cold nights.

vishnu
vishnu

I am on the second bottle of this and truly I love this scent it is very classy .

leecher88
leecher88

i smelled it today now i can say some things

first i dont like leather perfumes !

and second it has a note which i hate but i dont know which !

and its classic for men +40

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

Reading the descriptions, I wonder if it is the same scent that so knocked me out in the early 1980s... I'd never smelled anything that dark, complex, and un-perfume-like before. At that time, all the young men around me were wearing syrupy things like Paco Rabanne and Polo (apologies if you like these..), and the VC&A was a revelation. I guess in some ways it was a precursor to the things that Comme des Garcons have done since. Maybe if I smelled it again 30 years later I might not have the same reaction...

Update: I got a bottle and, no... it's been reformulated. Definitely.. a shadow of its former self --- a couple of ghostly echoes of the robust original, with strange new notes added and an offputting soapiness covering the whole thing. How depressing. I know it's been years since I smelled it, and you might say my nose has changed, but it used to be my everyday standard and it was imprinted in my brain. Other smells, even from childhood, I can pinpoint with accuracy, so I'm certain it has been changed, and not for the better.

A masculine soapy-herbal-rose fragrance with animalic hints (castoreum?) and leather in the middle phase . Nice, well crafted but IMO not as much compelling as other perfumes of the same family.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

it is a good fragrance...it is well done

Not for me though

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

this has something in common with Guerlain's L'instant edp.it's not as rich and doesnt project as much as L'instant.i guess it being an edt accounts for that but if you miss out on one you can substitute with the other and u will still achieve ur mission.If I get one going for a song I guess I will grab one.will love one as a gift too...It's clearly for the oldies and yes,I love it.mature,cool,classy and refined.Get it!!

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

i love this one, it smells so leathery,manly,clean, this is a jewel

denmaz
denmaz

classic smell, no feminine at all. definately not for younger crowd.

fqjcior
fqjcior

Come on! It's not a leather scent! Please! This is one of the best mens rose/herbs perfumes out there. A little like high class rose soap. I like it very much. Great for bed :-) Really!

If you want real leather, take Knize Ten.

nikornplay
nikornplay

special and unique
with class but not too formal

I love when it dry down very slowly gentle and warm

Finisterle
Finisterle

Cloves and compact opulent darkness with initial slightly offputting soapiness.

It's for a city milieu that does not exist anymore.

A slower paced life in dusty silent places.

But it shall forever suit graveyard poets who never smile.

moore_or_less
moore_or_less

Overpowering. It smells of deep, dank woods with a kind of petrol scent lurking underneath. Perhaps it's just bad chemistry with me but I could not wear this again after the first experience with it. If I wanted to smell like this I would go swim in the Gulf Oil Slick and then roll around in pine needles and moss. No Thanks.

guest_Farhan
guest_Farhan

I used to hv this one back in 80's its a great joy wearing this,.

BIG
BIG

This is soooooooo good!!! This is NOT an unbearable leather fragrance at all!!! It's soapy-powdery-flowery, not too much powder though, but still worth a try!!! Never thought i'd be ever raving so much about a fragrance that was released back in 1978.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I must say ...
I like alpasha66 review...
I had it ... back in the 80's
I also was young and full of ideas or dreams ...
Notions of what I thought made me feel RICH Sophiticated and ELEGANT...
Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme along with Santos Cartier...created that illusion for me...
wow.... who knew that a
long-lasting, deep-down leather/smokey/tar-like chords
would make me long for those youthful days .. now!

Captn_Kremen
Captn_Kremen

Great scent rank it along with Santos and Van Gils Classic.

varondandy
varondandy

VERY ROMANTIC AND ELEGANT,LATE FALL TO WINTER IS THE BEST TIME TO WEAR.I AND THE WIFE FIND THIS TO BE MORE OF A GOURMAND FRAGRANCE.THE DRY DOWN REMINDS HER OF GENUINE PANCAKE SYRUP.

setlamai
setlamai

After cruising along the webside i saw this perfume passing by i remebered having a bottle in the past somewhere . I looked and i still had it , allthough it is probably 15 years old a gave it a try again .
I do have to say ... not bad , not bad at all , only not for me . I think it is a winter time perfume for romantic people . A lot of flowers present in a very strong perfume .

alpasha66
alpasha66

i used it in the beginning of 1980`s, it was great, to a young man it was a dream come true; only holding it made eyes look it you. to me its more like a Spring time perfume.

junior halston
junior halston

A great classic!

That holds a leather note against a deep rose floral note.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Van Cleef & Arpels Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Van Cleef & Arpels Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.