Designers » T-Z » Oriental « Groups

Basic Instinct Van Gils for men
dislike

ozonic
Basic Instinct Van Gils for men Pictures

Basic Instinct is a fragrance for men introduced in 2002. Its top notes bring us mandarin, bergamot, melon, pineapple, cucumber, nutmeg and lavender. A heart blooms with orange blossom, jasmine and violet, while a base encompasses rum, wood, amber, musk, oak moss, patchouli and vetiver. This masculine perfume was created by Pierre Bourdon and it is available as 125ml edt.

Nutmeg Pineapple Melon Lavender Mandarin Orange Cucumber Bergamot

Orange Blossom Violet Jasmine Rose

Amber Patchouli Musk Woody Notes Oakmoss Rum Vetiver

Dunhill Pure

Basic Instinct Fragrance Reviews

hibiskus
hibiskus

To my nose it's not a male fragrance for it is very sweet and powerful, but anyway a very nice scent.

FireDragon76
FireDragon76

My husband just bought the deo, not the fragrance itself. I was worried about him venturing away from our favorite Between Sheets, but this one is also surprisingly good on him. He's a modern, classic, casual man. I feel happy and loving when I get near him and I smell this on hub but it's not sexy on him like Between Sheets, yet I'd like him to give the actual fragrance a chance.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A sticky, fruity, sweet, happy, red, unisex, young and fresh fragrance...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 1.25 hours - 10 inch projection though light. This frag is a fruit scent - the rum comes out like sticky candied red berries. It is 50% the same as Clinique Happy Heart however this frag does not have the synthetic qualities like Clinique. There is a distant melon note to help it become fresh.

1.25 hours - 2 hours - 6 inch projection though light. Linear frag. Lovely and tangy

2 hours - 2.5 hours - 4 inch projection. Linear

2.5 hours - 3.75 hours - 1.5 inch projection

3.75 hours - 6 hours. Close to skin

This is a basic summer scent - not citrus but fruity and good enough to eat. It puts a smile on your face when you wear it; nothing serious here.

Similarity to ADG? Some but only when you think about it

I blind bought a 40ML bottle gift set with deodarant. The deodarant is awful though with intense earthy smell, like muddy cloves

sherifkus
sherifkus

Really very nice, sexy and fresh scent.
I got it from Bruge Belgium in 2002.
I keep searching for anothe bottle till now, but could not find at all!
Anybody can tell where could i find? I am living in Cairo Egypt.

Joeri
Joeri

Discrete and just nice. At first, prominent citrus. No rum for me, I do get the cucumber, and something sweet and flowery; jasmin? It reminds me vagely of something I smelled when I was young... My verdict: Nice, quite nice... Does not project a lot but staying power is reasonable. Rather uncomplicated but definitely safe blind buy, if it comes cheap.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Well done fellow dutch designers!
Basic Instinct opens like a fresh fruit bowl flirting with tropical rum and alcohol and its gives you this fresh fruity summer vibe from start till end.
This could be the bastard child of clinique's happy and the ozonic airy aqua di gio.
Not sure this is a clinique happy clone! Happy has more own signature.
Dont expect deep layers or changing notes , in overall this a go to scent for everything which can be asociated with Fun and Sun!
Otherwise people can see this as a generic fruity aquatic but in many cases women tend to love these fresh kind of scents.
My wearings where noticed by women in Gym saying how good it smelked and on the street as its projection in first hour is pleasantly alive.
Im sure Van Gils had to go on a more mainstream level with this one as other productions of Van Gils are more solid work of scent art.
Too bad this scent is discontinued.
I m happy i bought this baby for a cheap 10 bucks but im sad for not buying more as i spray it often on a day when i want to smell just fresh and fruity and kinda naughty.

Perfect for Sports - Casual wearing or just on a happy stroll :-)

Extra keywords : happyness, fun, casual, sport, bright, tropical, sunny

Finisterle
Finisterle

Aquila 2009's review is spot on.

Keywords are: Fresh, Clean, Light, Cool, Summer, Beach.

I would also like to add: Semi-Dry, Soft and Minty. Although mint isn't listed as a note the impression of refreshing mintiness could come from the accord melon + bergamot + cucumber.

A bit too synthetic to be top class though.

Edit: I have found this to be the best refreshing fragrance I have ever tried (and owned).

Melon + cucumber >beats> mint + lemon. Who knew ?

Oh and btw. The bottle is very very naughty. It looks like the glass receptacle (symbol for the female) is fellating the metal colored rod (symbol for the male).

guest_Saady
guest_Saady

Well i read the above written review and cdnt help myself from writing something.
well i dont know about the notes and other stuff but trust me its something,people cant resist asking about
i found a friend of mine wearing it and asked and since then its me
it does make a lot of people inquire
it is infact sexy and appealing, women cant resist it
it has an eligant scent which suits office home bed...

nobody can look at this cologne and says it's not a reminder of a famous ultra-rated movie.the shape of the bottle is very masculine and designed like the shoulders of the body of a man.
maybe if it was launched after the success of the movie in 90s decade,it would be something,but nowadays people go for the sniff,not the provocative name(between sheets...)
actually,it's not a bad choice.lavendar sharpens the first notes as it's cool and fruity.although the designer had aimed to design a abstract masculine colonge,totally it's not that masculine.it's somehow bitter and warm at heart.I love the rum scent in it.
it's not the base work from pierre bourdon,but it's acceptable for every average man and it's not super sexy like it may seem.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Van Gils Basic Instinct fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Van Gils Basic Instinct, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Basic Instinct by Van Gils. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Basic Instinct by Van Gils represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.