Designers » T-Z » Leather « Groups

Versace L'Homme Versace for men

Versace L'Homme Versace for men
dislike

leather

This classic Versace’s fragrance was created in 1986. The scent is sharp and warm with a woody note. The top notes contain lemon, petite grain, basil, pimento. There are cinnamon, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood and rose in the heart. Oakmoss, leather, labdanum, Tonka and vanilla leave a trail.

Green Notes Basil Petitgrain Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Sandalwood Patchouli Cinnamon Jasmine Cedar Rose

Labdanum Leather Tonka Bean Amber Musk Oakmoss Vanilla

Fetish Pour Homme
Fraiche Badiane

Versace L'Homme Fragrance Reviews

dragonfruit2015
dragonfruit2015

Like so many fragrances of it's time it is very masculine without doubt. It exudes confidence. i tried it and it took me a while to figure out why it smelled so much like another old classic...Azzaro Pour Homme. I had a hard time putting it together until i finally bought a new bottle of APH. turns out the note breakdown is very similar. The openning is different for both but once you get to the dry down it becomes very similar. If you like fragrances along the lines of APH this may well be for you. Enjoy.

Smiter
Smiter

Perfect mature/old school barbershop style scent. Smells like Nivea energy 3 in 1, or nivea smells like it i should say! Regardless this smell is borderline orgasmic considering how it smells like the mid to late 80's. A blend of woody spicy citrus goodness that truly smells like an old barbershop. Not something i see many young people being interested in, that is except for myself. I absolutely adore l'homme. The citrus notes tie together so perfectly with the spicyness and woodyness, the beginning is a sharp crisp nose hit which quickly evolves into a majestic and magnetic light airyness. Great father's day present, or just a present to a fragrance addict like myself!

Smell: 9.5/10 (Screams maturity but not old)
Projection: 9/10
Longevity: 8.5/10

Scents & Vision
Scents & Vision

I love this frag for my selfish nostalgic reasons since the days at university during the 80's.

Remember back then we had Jazz, KL Homme (God it was good), Francesco Smalto, and Stallone, Schwartznagger, Bruce Willis, Tom Selleck and Mr T.

It was different time with different taste but L'Homme is a true reflection of the era. Enough said!

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

Versace L'Homme is a pure masculine scent, it makes no effort to blend in (like most fragrances aimed at the metrosexual market these days) and that gives it a kind of old school charm.

L'Homme would suit someone who is rugged, well mannered, and who has charm to spare, a Walt Longmire type guy, definitely not a "pretty boy" scent IMHO.

Jerry Can's review below hits the nail on the head and I couldn't agree more. The opening is brash and can be off-putting but when it settles L'Homme is warm and inviting, Just don't go crazy with application (2-3 sprays is more than enough).

The cost to use ratio is really good, I got a 100ml for £19.95 (3.5oz for $26 for our friends across the Atlantic) and this has great longevity. A single bottle will likely last years.

One for the Colder months or cooler climates but it is quite versatile, good for both night and day. I apply 1 spray to my chest and 1 on my undershirt and it sits subtlety, and that's the best way to use it, don't be bombastic, be alluring!

Great Stuff :)

fabio.bernieri
fabio.bernieri

Fougere di stampo molto classico, indiscutibilmente maschile e di buona fattura. Note olfattive molto tradizionali, dominate dal muschio bianco, dal patchouli, dal sandalo, qualche note agrumata in secondo piano.

In definitiva una fragranza di stampo MOLTO tradizionale, tutt'altro che giovanile, e che per questo può stare bene solo su uomini maturi.

Voto personale: 6.5/10

Onlineturk
Onlineturk

i think this is the best of versace, i bought it for my dad too for father's day

SalouS
SalouS

A strong barbershop scent, lemon, patchouli, and leather. longevity and projection are very good.

Overall an ok fragrance.

LisaRenee
LisaRenee

My all time favourite men's fragrance. It does something to me I just can't explain it. I could just breathe this in all day every day. Sigh.

Supremescent
Supremescent

It has taken some time for me to come to like this fragrance but it is growing on me. The opening is very harsh and off-putting....as it goes through the drydown STAGES it is a wonderful ole school scent. I can't say I'll wear this much but it will have an allotted place in my life.

simon.edwards
simon.edwards

I get a big dose of cinnamon from this, with what smells like castoreum underneath. I'm also getting shades of Chanel's Anteus...I appreciate it for what it is, but it's a pass from me.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

Gianni Versace was a massive presence, an attention-grabber who garnered far more complements than criticism. For an insight to this genius, I urge you to do a web-search for Casa Casuarina, his Miami home. Phenomenal ideas about design inspired by a variety of traditions. (Really! If you doubt me, just do it. You'll see).

I agree with SchopenhauersNose, there is an unfortunate early atmosphere of "urinal cake" upon application. Very unfortunate really, because Versace L'Homme evolves into something that is actually quite superb.

Karlovonamesti identifies it as a fougere - and who am I to argue? When I tried it yesterday I have to say I didn't immediately think fougere. But he's probably right. Wondering around a couple of hours with it on my arm, I was left in no doubt that this is a monster in terms of projection and by the day's end learned beyond all doubt that it has amongst the best staying power of any current fragrance I'm acquainted with.

And the scent itself? The citrus and basil opening is a whopping smack to the senses. Apply this in the bathroom and you could drive the mice out of the cellar. As it settles and warms on the skin, the jasmine, labdanum, patchouli and spices emerge giving what I would always describe as an oriental. Leather too. Very obvious leather in fact.

Well into the dry down there are woods; but this isn't coming across as especially woody. Maybe it is more woody/spicy? I love oakmoss; but isn't oakmoss now banned? Whether it is now a synthetic oakmoss I wouldn't know, but this stays true to the original creation from the late '80s pretty accurately.

I don't like tonka and vanilla generally, and will say with absolute honesty I notice neither in Versace L'Homme. The patchouli, florals, amber and leather are the mainstay and on which everything else hangs.

My inclination is to view this as probably more attractive to those of us who lived through that era, specifically the mid '80s to '90s - when Versace was very much the man of the moment. His real-world glamour stylised much of the film and tv industries of the day. Shows like Miami Vice were virtual catwalks for Versace, Cerutti and Armani.

Frankly, this scent hasn't changed noticeably from how I remember it at it's launch around 30 years ago. And I like that for one reason alone: it honours the memory of the man sympathetically and appropriately.

Easily found for £20/100ml. Anyone with any interest in male perfumery really must search this one out. And keep your first impressions on hold. A little patience on your part and you'll be rewarded with something that virtually guarantees to put a grin on your face.

le pepe
le pepe

The best of versace house.Maybe the best of all houses:) all time classic.smells like a real fragrance. they do not make like that nowadays.

amilcar
amilcar

My first impression was 'why this leather/rose soap bar is annoying me?'. For the first 20 minutes the leather and this soapy smooth smell continues to project. And, done. After the leather dissipates the true heart of this masterpiece emerges. The lemon/bergamot/orange chord continues for hours and, although very close to the skin, the dry down is incredible. At this point it shows itself more close to Armani Pour Homme but clearly in a powerful way .

projection 3/5
longevity 5/5
sillage 4/5
overall 4/5

ps.: not for young or the young-hearted sport cologne fan. truly for the mature crowd.

Yukon94
Yukon94

I was given this fragrance as a gift for Christmas. At first spray, I definitely did not like it. After a few wearings, it started to grow on me but I recently stopped wearing it.

At first when you spray this I do not get much of a citrus at all. I get strong warm woody, earthy, green notes. After a hour or so you start to get hints of the vanilla and tonka bean. This is a very long lasting fragrance.

This is just a classic, what more can be said? It is very masculine and I can't see wearing this in any other season but winter. Definitely a winter fragrance. I can see where people get a barbershop scent. This cologne reminds me of walking into a barbershop on a cold, winter evening. Recommend for guys 30+ its more of a mature fragrance.

Scent 6/10, Projection/Sillage 9/10, Longevity 10/10

faramarz
faramarz

Amazingly chic fragrance. a powerful mixture of opposite notes! very classy and deep, for gentlemen over 35. one of those perfumes that they don't make'em these days! a true reminder of good old days of 60s to 80s.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This is one of the most chronically misidentified perfumes in the world - even the H&R chart gets it wrong. This isn't a leathery chypre, or an oriental. It's a fougere. Even has ferns sculpted into its bottle's shoulders. It has some chypre qualities, and some oriental characteristics too, but Versace L'Homme (current) is a very old-school fern.

It's not overwhelmingly complex. Bright lemon, bergamot, citrus, lavender, ginger, and coriander on top, followed by a barbershop green floral arrangement with heady gardenia and jasmine notes, with a musky tonka powder in the base, and the mildest hint of tobacco. There's also very subtle hints of pepper, cinnamon, labdanum, basil, and castoreum in the mix. It's an odd duck in that it's from a very Italian house, yet smells quite French. It reminds me most of Rochas Moustache, with that brassy citrus and lavender chord that hearkens back to the classic chypres and ferns of yesteryear. Also, there's really nothing leathery about it to my nose, but in full disclosure I always fail to detect "leather" in fragrances.

Best of all, the current Euroitalia version is dirt cheap and surprisingly well made. It smells very natural, has good note separation, and never comes across as cheap. Arguably the best eighties barbershop fougere a man can have.

shamus1
shamus1

I'm finally coming around on Versace L'Homme. I have the current version, never tried any earlier versions of this for comparison.

This smells like a leathery oriental. Huge citrus and basil explosion in the beginning, then it tones down to something really nice and rich. I get this big, fat drydown that smells like cinnamon, dry leather, amber, cedar and some dry herbs. Great warm drydown, love it.

This is not a typical leathery/mossy 80s bomb. It's a powerhouse, no question, but it's more dignified than most of the heavy hitters from that era. This is heavy and smoldering, but refined. Wear this with a tux and a martini in hand, and you're in business.

Lasts all day and then some, and projects like a beast. Finally, I'm a fan.

MY RATING: 9/10

K1
K1

It was us lurking around in leather jacket and white t-shirts and dark rough jeans. It was us, it was L'Homme and it was Lemmy Kilmister's fierce voice.

Lemmy flied away yesterday, the leather jacket torn several years ago and jeans outdated, white t-shirt served some more weeks for cleaning dad's car windows…. it's us without anything but tears.

L'Homme was my mate the day I used to headbang with Motorhead. A rough yet sufficiently dandy leather fragrance for rebels like us. It's synonym of barbershop alpha male fragrance with leather to establish a powerful foundation, carnation to emphasize on chicness, lemon to keep them fresh and moss to keep it loyal to an authentic originality. A warm powdery fat leather which you should know how to wear…
★★★★★

ما بودیم؛ دور و بر پرسه میزدیم سر کوچه با کاپشن های چرمی و تی شرت های سادۀ سفید و شلوارهای جین خشن و تیره. ما بودیم، "لی اوم" بود و صدای خشن "لمی کیلمیستر" خوانندۀ گروه موتورهد

لمی دیروز فوت کرد، کاپشن چرمی سالها پیش پاره پاره شد، اون شلوارها از مد افتاد، و تی شرت بی نوا چند هفته ای بیشتر خدمت کرد برای تمیز کردن شیشۀ ماشین پدر... ما موندیم و هیچ چیز جز چند قطره اشک

لی اوم یار من بود اون روزا که "موتورهد " گوش میدادم. یه عطر خشن اما به اندازۀ کافی جذاب از چرم برای نسل یاغی مثل ما. این عطر مترادف "عطر آرایشگاهی" اَبَرمردونه هست با ترکیبی از چرم که سازه ای قدرتمند رو پی ریزی میکنه، گل میخک که روی شیک بودن و موقر بودن تاکید میکنه، لیمو که این دوتا رو آروم و خنک نگه میداره و خزه که وفاداری به اصالت رو به عهده میگیره. ترکیبی گرم و چرب و پودری که باید بلد باشی چطور استفاده کنی
★★★★★

timmytrg
timmytrg

This is a review for the younger crowd. Im 16 years old and im wearing this cologne to school every day during winter time. In my opinion, it smells great, even though the fragrance community (not my friends because i havent got any compliment) say that its scent is for the older crowd but i love it because i love the mature scent of it.

renzo
renzo

a couple of years ago,at work, there was a colleague smelling great ! He was 56 or 57 and I asked him what he was wearing.. It was l'eau d'Issey ! What I like to say is that perfume has no age...
Versace l'homme is a good frag and I am wearing it the last two days.. Yesterday got a compliment from a lady, she found it a warm, very male and attractive fragrance..

kwasi fredua
kwasi fredua

Recently purchased this and my o my! its a longevity beast. Sillage is also good. radiates quite well. I must say that the opening is very strong though, gets my head spinning for a while before I start enjoying the dry down. Very good fragrance.

manoj tewari
manoj tewari

recently purchased versace l'homme.certainly worth trying having a strong woody fragnance.recommended for casual wearing.

sm0lds
sm0lds

I bought the current formulation based on the reviews here, and I'm very pleased. When I put it on, I kept thinking I've smelled this before like something else in my collection. After several minutes I realized it reminds me of Pour Monsieur Concentree by Chanel even though the notes listed in the scent pyramids seem very different. Very masculine and wearable without being over powering. Longevity seems a little short. Still impressive for a bargain scent.

Ray Achnioach
Ray Achnioach

As soon as I sprayed some on the inside of my wrist and let it dry down to test this out after purchasing based on reviews on this site, I thought "Dunhill for Men". So I sprayed some Dunhill for Men on the inside of the opposite wrist and let it dry down. sniffing both wrists they seemed almost identical. The "perfume pyramid" is not identical howver to my nose they are so similar, the dunhill a bit deeper and actually more leathery. Both are "old school" mature gentleman's scents which possess classic "barbershop notes" that I always enjoy. I'll use this as I use Dunhill for men, as nice casual gentleman's fragrance enjoyed from time to time.

An update: Since posting this review I wore Versace L'Homme for a full day. My opinion has changed. It still is reminicent of Dunhill for Men. However not as much the current formulation of DFM but the vintage version that I have of it as a cologne that came in dice shaped bottles. While that vintage fragrance is a bit weak after 50+ years and disipates rather quickly, the Versace L'Homme has those scents and seems to continue to evolve, expand and become more elegant and smooth with the florals becoming more delightfully evident. This a happy, friendly gentleman's fragrance, more convivial and welcoming than DFM, it is "casually formal". Versace L'Homme is a fine match for a double breasted navy blue blazer, tan trousers, blue pin-stripe button down oxford shirt, red and blue plaid tie, paterned red silk pocket square, and brown penny loafers, for example. The sillage is very nice, not overpowering but strong and the longevity is excellent. I like this much more than the offering from Dunhill and will certainly be wearing this most regularly.

ayylmao
ayylmao

Found a 100mL bottle of L'Homme for sale for $25, so went and picked it up. Father's Day being 2 days away, my intention was to give it a try on myself for a couple days and then decide if I wanted to keep it or give it to Dad as a gift, as a lot of the reviews had mentioned it being a "mature" fragrance.

When I hopped back in the car, I sprayed myself once on the wrists, once on the chest, and was almost immediately convinced that it wasn't for me, and that dad would be getting some Versace cologne for Father's Day. CLoying and exceedingly "musky" and mature, the top notes were a borderline turnoff. Overbearing and not quite "refined," I was far from sold.

After 10-15 minutes of driving, though, things changed. Dramatically.

The original harsh, "citrus" chemical smell dissipated and left the middle notes, a very woodsy smell, with a very strong note of what I've become familiar with as an "oriental" scent. I'm not a fragrance expert, but I believe it's the sandalwood coming through. A very manly "Hey, here I am" type of fragrance, but not offensive at all. Sure to turn heads, in the right ways. Not so sure Dad was getting this one after all.

The drydown... oh man the drydown. 3 hours later, pure bliss. Those woodsy and oriental overtones are moved to the background and the scent of soft leather and vanilla come to the forefront. Dark, smoky and EXTREMELY masculine, this is about as far from these newer "unisex" scents as you can get in a cologne. 8 hours later, it's dizzying and the sillage is still optimal. I kept getting random whiffs of it while going about my business, and they say that if you can smell it on yourself, others can smell it, too.

No way Dad's getting this. The woman had a second bottle for sale but it had been scooped up already a day later. Rightly so.

I believe this is the 90's "remix" of the scent, as it came in a dark brown box. Not black like the recent reimagining, but not light brown like I believe the original is.

Either way, this is some AWESOME stuff. Don't be turned off by the initial blast. Give it time. I'm 30 years old and normally rotate between Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger. This is my new favorite over both of those. I've never smelled anything quite like it.

Highly recommended. 9/10, 1 point deducted for the harshness of the top note.

EDIT: Just wanted to expand upon my initial review and reiterate how fucking gangster this stuff is. Been wearing a lot of Hugo Boss Boss Bottled lately, which I also love. I wore L'Homme today for the first time in a few weeks and it's so good I felt compelled to come add a bit more. Awesome, awesome, awesome stuff. So different from everything else I own.

Wise old man cologne in the BEST possible way.

SchopenhauersNose
SchopenhauersNose

I haven’t smelled every Versace fragrance released for men, but I’ve smelled many of the more recent ones, and most of them are much too sweet for my tastes, Eros, Blue Jeans, and Dreamer being prime examples. If you’re familiar with many of the fragrances from men’s scents of the eighties, this definitely has that appeal to it. Many younger noses might identify this as an “old man scent,” but I love the Azzaro pour Hommes and Tuscanys of the world, which are most often described as old school. Maybe it is. But it’s still marvelous.

First of all, the notes: on the top, there is lemon, petite grain, basil, and pimento; in the middle, there’s cinnamon, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, and rose; and in the base, there’s oakmoss, labdanum, tonka bean, and vanilla. It was released in 1986, but I couldn’t identify the nose behind its composition. This seems to also be another fragrance that has undergone at least one reformulation. Seeing as how I just ordered the vial a few weeks ago, I would imagine I got the most recent version, but I there’s no way to be certain.

In the beginning (the fragrance’s weakest point), there’s a hard, uncompromising blast of basil and green notes that feels quite strong and borderline abrasive. Others have noted an offensive “urinal cake” feel at the very opening of this fragrance, and I wouldn’t argue with that characterization. You’ll know it when you smell it. And even though I just used to word “urinal cake,” don’t let that put you completely off. Thankfully, this lasts for perhaps a few minutes, but as it starts to mature on my skin, it blossoms into something quite nice - a beautiful, masculine cedar/sandalwood/patchouli/vanilla combination with just the faintest touch of lipstick with a soft, powdery soapiness about it. As it dries down, it never loses that Oriental-ish sandalwood/leather accord which is well-constructed and elegant.

I’ve only ever tested this from a sample vial that I purchased off of MyPerfumeSamples.com, but longevity seems to be average to above-average, although that’s just an educated guess from the use of a sample bottle. The 100 ml. can be had for just at $30 from fragrancenet and other online discount sites.

N.B. I got this vial, as well as many others that I plan on reviewing, from myperfumesamples.com, where you can get samples of hundreds of different (most designer) houses for starting at $1.99/ml. There are niche houses and larger sizes, but they cost more. I purchased these 1 ml. vials because I just wanted enough to see if I was actually interested enough in the fragrance to buy a whole bottle. I bought about 20 vials to see what I might be interested in buying for the rest of the year. The site is easy to navigate, there were no problems in shipping, and all the samples arrived in great condition.

don sketos
don sketos

is the perfume still available or it has stoped?cause i cant find it anymore. ty

petranfx
petranfx

I blind buy this old dude and now i can tell my first impression of this stuff.I am 19 years old and i have test a lot of fragrances.Some people said that versace l'homme is a grandpa fragrance and dont buy it because is oldschool.Definetelly you can say tha is not like no other fragrance tha i have ever smelt beforw.But guys is manly,is unique,is romantic is one of the best fragrance tha i have ever smell.If you want to be unique and you want to smell manly but modern than you can try this.Is not for everyone but i am 19 years old and i have e balls to wear it.So give this a try guys ;)

chopshop
chopshop

This puts me back into the barber chair in 1975. Right after the barber uses the air compressor to blow all the stray hairs off of your collar he puts a barbershop smell good on the nape of your neck, then buffs it off with a towel. They don't give hair cuts like that these days.

My wife loves this stuff. To me its a mature scent. It smells good that's for sure. For a young trend setter, your friends won't know what the heck you are wearing, but they will probably like it. The original citrus blast only last a few minutes, then it dries down into a mildly oriental type scent. Makes me think of clean and dignified. Reminds me of Bijan for men

trippy
trippy

Vintage
after the citrusy opening (a bit a la YSL PH)it turns into oakmoss howling at the full moon.. beast longevity, moderate sillage
a true classic...

etherbunny
etherbunny

This was a blind buy. I was feeling adventurous and wanted to give a talked about mature scent a go, and I settle for L'Homme.

One of my immediate thoughts was the done-to-death description of it smelling like lemon detergent or the age-old urinal/bathroom smell. To my pleasant supprise, this is strictly limited to the top notes. After about 10 minutes, the fragrance opens up and becomes a more complex and sophisticated sweet and sour composition. It's heavy, bright, powdery, classic and powerful.

I was skeptical of the claims that this is a mature scent because I hadn't had a proper mature scent before this. It's not for everyone and the top notes are offputting. Once you get over the top notes, it really does become a complex fragrance that can fit any occassional but is best paired with a particular personality and appearance. When I smell this fragrance I immediately feel like I'm in the presence of somebody important and composed. Definitely a poor choice for a college student, for example, because it fights the fresh, youthful and adventurous spirit of that age group.

This is a fragrance for somebody who is composed, firm, but subtle in their way. It's powerful but not overwhelming and stern but not unfriendly.

Try on your skin before you buy. But I do recommend it if the situation calls for it. One of my favorite fragrances. It has all-day longevity and sillage is strong but not monstrous.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

Love this one a lot glad I got it , I love the citrus opening

delgado1237996
delgado1237996

If the 80's powerhouse is your thing then this is right up your alley. This is a VERY mature scent. Try before you buy.

Monsieur Aramis

Vintage/ formulation from 1984: 5/5 - 95P - aromatic ginger - slightly woody, ginger, sage, followed by warm notes with plenty of aromatics, smart but mellow spice, and some cinnamon. Distinguished and intellectual, but smart and lovely.
The reformulation leads to some questions. They took out aromatics and warm spice, added citrus and urinal notes, and unfortunately even some impatiens in the sharp drydown. This sharpness, linked with the lack of the former aromatic spice, screwed up the former top rating.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

blind purchase following great comments here. Desappointed, very inspired by le 3e homme de Caron.

jude1321
jude1321

U have to go with the vintage on this juice. The opening is solid, but not all that extraordinary. The original vintage (script writing) drydown, however, is awesome. A very nice, safe scent that is sure to get noticed. Solid lasting power too. To me, this is great for a night out in the summer time Hopefully, by a beach :)

smellavision
smellavision

Whoa! Warning - not for the faint of Heart! I borrowed this at the gym after a workout from a friend(mental note: always remember your personal smells) and yes, he is about five years older than me. Anyway I gave two sprays of this beast to the chest and two to the neck and BAZINGA! : I was Cologne Guy oozing man from the mid-eighties. This stuff should be labelled as nuclear. The lemon and basil opening slowly gives room to the rose and carnation mixed with a chemical cedar. I'm aware that several Versaces are soapy an powdery, but this is ridiculous : I smelt like I had smeared myself all over with my Grandmothers hand soap bar. This stuff is VERY masculine and only for adults. After 2-3 hours I had to give up and take a scrub. Extremely oldschool - thanks, but no thanks.

eliweisz
eliweisz

What a wily monster! Don't trust the opening, promising just another classic green cologne. Don't frown at the middle notes, harsh and synthetic (current formulation, yeah). Just don't give a damn, and very soon you'll meet the real L'Homme - rich, smooth and deep. The drydown is endless, fantastic, leathery-ambery-musky, with an expertly measured amount of herbs and carnation.
What's interesting, this royal drydown is quite similar to another 80s classic - Ted Lapidus (introduced a bit later). Here it's brighter, drier, more acceptable - and just as powerful.
Great scent, very attractive. Recommended!

LeBart

Thank god, this one still exists. Simply perfect masculine scent.Enough said. (Not for everybody though.)

elda white petals
elda white petals

Really , really looove it !!! First impression- aristocratic , for a man with personality who know what he want and want to say " l am here " ...unforgettable !!!! Also one of the best "huge projection " perfumes ever made with great sillage and longivety . will buy it for my husband and soon l will describe it better .

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Many years ago, I owned this frag but I'll admit I didn't have an appreciation for fragrance like I do now. My search for the vintage version paid off, after going to several locations, they had a tester bottle of the vintage version 3/4 full without a box. Do really think I give a @!#$ that it didn't have a box...I'm sure you know the answer!!
I felt like a kid in a candy store, I couldn't wait to try it. After spraying it on my skin, I thought that I could levitate my body. After spraying it, I felt a rush of leather combined with citrus juice making it ABSOLUTELY dirty yet sophisticated if that makes sense to you.
After an hour, the citrus notes settled beautifully while the aroma of oakmoss and sandalwood coming together giving it a real attractive herbal/woodsy aroma. I'm also able to pick up a sweet/warm vib from amber/musk. This is DEFINITELY a TRULY unique masculine fragrance one of Versace first Frag's.
I have to admit, the current version doesn't have that complex well made juice. The current version unfortunately is moderate at best..more watered down with less oils.
Overall view,
I could kick myself because in my younger years I throw out the original version after using 1/4 of the fragrance..I wasn't wise!!
I'm so fortunate to find another bottle after 20 years later and no way will I consider giving it up.
This is DEFINITELY worth buying especially if you can find the vintage version!! This frag is a TIMELESS CLASSIC from Versace. This juice is UNBELIEVABLY SOPHISTICATED....5 ⭐...I absolutely ♥ this fragrance!!!!

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

I've been wearing Versace for Men for a few years. I've held off on my review because I either love it or hate it. I have it my rotation now and this week, I love it. As many have said, the top notes are very sharp citrus. The payoff is after 45 minutes when the leather and musk blend perfectly to make it a unique distinguished scent. Solid longevity with medium projection after the dry down. Always remember, good things come to those who wait...

loischanricky
loischanricky

I found the fragrances by Versace have been kind of " boring" in the past 10-15 years.
For example, Versace Crystal Noir has interesting and sweet coconut milk scent but this wonderful scent fades away soon and becomes dull in the end.
Some Versace fragrances for men (such as Eros, Versace Eau Fraiche) are pretty boring (nothing special) according to my taste, too.

But this " Versace L'homme" is a fragrance so unique that it is totally different from other Versace fragrances created in the past 10-15 years.
(Turned out it was created in the 80's)

This one is masculine, bold, creative and pretty sharp, somehow a little bit offensive, I think only a man with wild and unique personalities can wear this precious one perfectly.

I can smell herbs and the bitterness of petitgrain in the beginning, after a while the scent changes into something very " herbal" that I can catch the cinnamon, sandalwood and patouchli clearly. It is likely that you will find the beginning scent not so enjoyable ( you can even hate it), but just give this "Versace L'homme" a while, the sharp, herbal and bitter scent will get along very well with the leather scent soften by the carnation.
It is difficult for me to recognize every single note in this one, since all the scents are gathered together and become the new scent that " Versace L'homme" tries to present.

My conclusion: I will describe this one as a woody and aromatic (from those herbs) leather. Wear this in special occasions. It is pretty strong, just a few sprays will do the magic!

X-hot
X-hot

I don't enjoy at the opening,but after one hour it smells Great. Longevity about 5 hours on my skin.

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

Masculine, Bold, Cofident and Sexy. Above all , its from my favourite House "Versace". True Italian charisma.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

My review is based on the early version of 1984. Must say I completely blind bought this, and I was really happy once I sniffed it, as this quite comprises all the features I was looking for in a fougère scent. The opening is already great and captivating, a modern and "young" fougère, with citrus, neroli, carnation, jasmine, fresh herbs (basil!), spices (cloves, cardamom), perhaps a drip of castoreum, on a beautiful, dense, smoky base of tobacco, hay, soft smooth leather, oak moss, a few woods. Mandatory aldehydes, but quite light and transparent. Basically an "ordinary" fougère, but quite different from the more "adult" ones: it's more tasty, soapy, almost juicy, more bright and playful, more mellow, still totally elegant and refined, just more relaxed and as I said, "younger" in a way. Extremely cozy and pleasant, dense but light, with a great persistence and a great evolution. More modern than most of his other fellows back then. Masculine and versatile. Great!

8,5-9/10

zkxnyi278
zkxnyi278

Wonderful, most often wear for me lately. Very masculine and mature but in a very approachable way. Crazy heavy carnation and lemon, heavy heavy powder, jergen's face cream, pimento, those big tablet things they put in urinals and toilets, and some very bitter earthy smell cast over it all. all of these stick around but quiet down a lot and make room for a really nice leather/cinnamon/sandalwood mix with just a bit of creamy vanilla to come out for a good long while, then eventually dries down to mainly just a nice old leather smell. Gotten tons of compliments on this. This is also really nice layered with Dana's Tabu, I've gotten even more compliments with that and love it myself. Goes well with a very small amount of a honey scented spray to or after using honey body wash, that with tabu also, lol. Love it and is likely of becoming my 'signature scent'

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

unique piece of art (10++/10), the best of versace ever,
scent with a good vibrations ! It has really fantastic drydown, probably the best in designer class

cytherian
cytherian

This fragrance is another casualty of reformulations. There have been two, and the last one seems to be a major let down compared to the original. The first version, which came out in the 1980's, is a delightful citrus floral fougère that exudes quality. It's divine and unfortunately rather hard to find these days. Leather? There isn't any! This appears to be mis-categorized.

The second version, which came out in the 1990's, builds upon the first version and raises the floral/mossy accord above the leather and wood. I wouldn't call it better or worse, but just a little different. It has greater longevity too. This is a little easier to find than the first, and is found as pictured above (brown box). You just want to avoid the "black box" version, which is the latest. Of course, there are plenty of sellers who use photos of the older one for recent inventory, so just be sure to either get an actual photo or seller confirmation of what the box actually looks like.

9.1/10 for the original version.

Monsieur Aramis

4.5 from 5 - 95 P (out of 100) – bitter wood – The autumnal pendant to Krizia uomo, more bitter cedar, drier but not dry, cool but simultaneously warm. A deep fragrance forming a wide bridge between dryness and warmness, sandal, spice, woods. The masterpiece in the Versace world. L'homme works intelligent, noble, very distinguished. Its buyers do neither wear blue collars nor baseball caps, but often sit in the higher storys of a management building.

JohnB2014
JohnB2014

This eau de toilette screams ''I am a man!!!''.

Best summer fragrance!

Dimitrios
Dimitrios

Im lucky as i one a 2nd release vintage .. its a masterpeice & will always sit in my top 20 frags of all time .. 9.5/10

ianannable
ianannable

Thumbs up for an old classic! A mixture of wood,citrus,spices and leather,produce a super fragrance. Certainly a different beast to the recent trend of aromas. Strong,formidable and elegant rolled into one bottle. The dry down is fantastic on this fragrance, one of the best. Longevity terrific. For the money.. a steal.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

The beauty of fragrances is that they are reference points in your life. I was first introduced to Versace L'Homme at the end of the 80's, and it was love at first sight. The sensory overload that the vintage version provided left you speechless, with its in your face citruses, leather, and that lingering powdery, creamy smell reminiscent of old ladies perfumes... and yet you still wanted more, so much more, and you felt confident, elegant, full of compliments. And then there was the heavenly dry down, the best part of Versace L'Homme. As I prepared for laundry duties I could still smell the amazing smell of Versace L'Homme, a fragrance that unquestionably smelled like men. These were the good old days before the clean and safe fragances became the norm. Versace L'Homme has been reformulated ever since and still manages some of its former glory... but never to the degree that the vintage powerhouse did. It's interesting to see how the powerful fragrances of yesterday are making their way back into the market, maybe as a backlash of the current trend of "safe" (or boring) offering in the market. Do yourself a favor and get Versace L'Homme. It is one of the great small pleasures in life.

murysusanto

Ok, so this one is available in a new packaging, black box and the bottle still the same as the old one.
This is the exact same content, I wonder if the nose is still the same. One great product I will always keep getting over empty one.
I was thinking, why not the Versus Uomo re-launched again?

fuggerone

Vintage version has oakmoss howling all over, if you like the late version try to get hold of the "ancient formulation" which has the same vibe of Loewe ph vintage formula...two oakmoss beasts!

ses101
ses101

Really nice gingery lemon smell. BUT, it does smell exactly like some toilet cleaning agents as has been mentioned. This doesn't change the fact that it smells good, but the association could put people off. And it does make you question why some fragrances are so expensive when cheap cleaning fluid can smell exactly the same.

Oposai
Oposai

Oh my goodness, this is astonishing performence and scent. The opening is very fresh, green, and citrusy. The middle has carnation. The base is pure fresh leather. Such an amazing transformation. At first it reminded me of those blue pills for when you flush the toilet, but hotdamm did it fix itself. The base is magnificent. Recommend it!

This is a classic and a product of it's environment namely the eighties! Shows a progression of distinct manly fragrances for me, thoroughly enjoyable and seldom seen in shops (in the UK at least) anymore.
You just Know it's a classic as it has all the usual components ie: oakmoss, carnation, leather and musk.
However, the opening is remarkably fresh with lemon and petitgrain followed by the spices and familiar man stuff but I think the sandalwood sets this apart from many other(lets face it)very similar fragrances from the 80's.
Masculine, stylish and still relevant today.

k_j
k_j

Many people says VL'H was a masterpiece. But for me, i don't like the scent. I've read all the reviews before i bought this scent (blund buy) about 2 years ago. And i was disappointed good thing it's only about PHP 1,750.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This opens with a wonderful old school blast of lemon & basil citrus mixed in with carnation. It's strong and in your face which then over time mellows out to a leathery woody slighty sweet & spicy scent.

The vintage lasts for over eight hours and the basenotes are rich and satisfying. You only need a few sprays with this one.

The latest formulation has a very good citrus opening but unfortunately it is very much watered down compared to the original. And it lasts for about three to four hours with just below average projection. As always with these old eighties fragrances if in doubt always go vintage.

conrad01
conrad01

First of all, let me start off by saying that everyone who thinks this is a masterpiece is fucking... completely right! This, to me, has a touch of the new formulation of Kouros vibe going on for it (shocked it does not contain clove). I say this as someone who has never owned a vintage bottle (don't kill me, novice fraghead). That being said, I love the newest formulation of Kouros even though the sillage could be slightly better. The dry down on this fragrance is magical to me; it is a lightly aldehyde (soapy) woody fragrance that takes you back to a time when men were men and the scent of your cologne was taken in during a firm handshake. This cologne is a classic to me, and a welcome addition to mine (and presumably any fraghead's) collection!

GRAF
GRAF

Too strong for me bad strong scent. It reminds me past times. I can't stand it. This scent drowns me. Can't breath !

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Opens with a strong lemon with petitgrain and later adds the carnation. Now im getting some sweetness probably from the vanilla and cinnamon. Its blending nicely with the rest. And that pleasantly mixes with the leather later on.

Another one with too much going on to really describe well but I like the old school smell with a nice warm soft sweetness mixed in.

Watt-de
Watt-de

I respect a fragrance that get so many good reviews. So I did not hesitate to buy it blindly. The cologne I got was the smell of the past. Another user called it barber smell, and it is exactly like that. Sadly I don't like it much, but I desperately want to like it. Its no artificial fragrance and that is a big plus for me. I guess I don't like the leather in it, and thats why I can not like Dior's Fahrenheit as wel... This will not be a regular for me to wear, but it will sure be a cologne I will try until I can appreciate it.

hiram.j
hiram.j

I got this at a local perfumery's closing down sale. They were selling testers as well. I saw a tester for VL'H and wanted to get it, but could only buy it when there was no more stock left. There was one new one on the shelf and was told it was a new formulation. The tester was not. So I ended up buying both to get the tester. (I later sold the new one for what I paid for it.)

I don't remember much about what it was like at the time. My nose was overloaded from so many others. I must have thought it was pleasant enough to want it, but it still would have been a semi-blind buy.

I tried YSL Pour Homme the other day (a blind buy) and was disappointed. Not how I want to smell. So it was with some trepidation I applied VL'H. Wow! This is more like it. In the first hour I knew this would become one of my go-to fragrances. It has the power and confidence of its era and can hold its own against any of the more modern styles. There is nothing harsh about it. Smooth and nicely balanced. It reeks of quality.

When this finishes I will get one of the new formulation. I just hope it is close enough to the one I have been using.

LeBart

A masterpiece. Really classic, "must have" for a mature and self confident man. Not for kids and androgynous men.

robespierre_1789
robespierre_1789

This one and Dune by Dior (althogh not related whatsoever) I find to be the most aristocratic perfumes I have ever had. Masterpiece, another example of Gianni Versace genius, buy it by any means! Best for 35+, you need a certain knowledge of this art in order to understand this masterpiece. Not for girly men.

spankrabbit
spankrabbit

So, there are a few prior comments about urinal cakes. They must be in a very classy restroom. This is a great scent. Yeah, the opening might be little sharp but it doesn't last long. What you get next is well balanced, some leathery carnation, a tad soapy but not sickening in any way. Dries down beautifully.

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

1980s..when men smelled like men.

This is a great spicy mens fragrance, but it does smell a bit dated. Whenever I smell Versace L'Homme..I can't help but think of the 1980s...men in turtleneck sweaters, miami vice, magnum pi, etc.

Nostalgia in a bottle!

lovetribe

incredible.....a masterpiece.......i love it.

haronushka

classic masterpiece will ever die

sillage 4
longevity 5
unique 4
scent 4
overall 17 out of 20
for FALL daytime

isabelasohel
isabelasohel

Haven't wore it since 1993 of 94.........it an unforgettable piece of work.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I'm writing this from memory so I don't have to subject myself to it again. I liked this at first...it seemed like good old-fashioned lemon transitioning into dry but smooth woods with some leather. Somewhere between Zino and a garden-variety 80s scent...a middle-aged, conservative Zino. I thought it was free of the powerhouse stank. But then a number of things went wrong. First of all the juice is really yellow, which annoys me because I have to splash out of the large mini bottle I got. But more important is the urinal. The scent puts up red flags for me signaling the dreaded urinal pad/cake/tablet/what have you. The late midnotes and onward smell more like a men's room to me than anything I've encountered before, including a few testings of Kouros. Probably a little of that is some animal secretion like civet giving it the stale piss element, but moreso it's just the misfortune of having the right combination of spices to match a lot of the urinal pads that I've known in my life. So the color is in fact poetic justice. Now granted, my bottle is old enough not to say much on it (volume embossed in the glass on the bottom rather than stamped on the side with the lettering) but it arrived in a mini box, so I don't think it was sitting under direct light for 10 years. While riding in my coworker's car with it one day, I swore I must have smelled like a janitor who had been mopping below the urinals all day. On his hands and knees. I couldn't possibly wear this stuff again.

1938EmGee
1938EmGee

I'm a fragrance newbie (a fragnoob?) and over the past year, I've bought a dozen or so fragrances -- mostly of a post-2000 vintage. I've enjoyed each of them on their own terms and don't regret having purchased a single one. But I kept reading reviews of the classic power frags of the 60s, 70s and 80s -- many of them familiar to me by name and packaging if not by smell -- and wondering what I was missing.

So, I purchased this one a few weeks back from the local CVS and I've been waiting patiently for cooler weather so I could give it a whirl. Last night a front came through, the temp dropped 15 degrees overnight and so I thought, gee, spray some on before you go to bed and see if you can charm the pants off your Pumpkin (it didn't work but I have to take the blame for that:-)). Nevertheless, I awoke this AM, went downstairs, made my coffee and sat down to read the morning news. Well, I kept getting this waft of L'Homme and I thought, "Hmmm, what's this? 8 hours later and I am still getting enough projection (from 2 sprays, mind you) that I can still smell this guy without putting my nose to my skin? I was just enveloped.

So, I said what the heck and after showering this morning, I spritzed some more on. And now here I am, 13 hours after applying it and I can still smell this wonderful vanilla-spice aroma at a distance of 6 inches from the skin. The dry-down actually reminds me of a frosty mug of A&W Root Beer.

Which brings me to my point: If I can go to one of the online discounters and find something this classy and sumptuous for less than $40 in a 3.4 oz bottle, why in the world would I want to spend as much or more to purchase fragrances that have zero projection and are reduced to a skin scent in two hours time? It makes no sense.

If you are looking to dip your toes into the "old school" fragrances, you could do a lot worse than this guy. This is a classy and muscular sauce.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Now, this is a masterpiece! A really great masculine, quality, classy, retro scent. Lovely and soapy, with a patchouli blast. The drydown is a lovely creamy, vanilla, tarragon, cinnamon and mellow spices. The pleasure centre of my brain glows when I smell this. Longevity and sillage are excellent. Wish more of the latest fragrances were as potent and have as much character as this. It's gorgeous folks and, I have to say, it's a classic

9.5/10 for me.

fuggerone

the vintage one is a classic powerhouse hardcore juice....reformulation toned it down but also subtracted a bit of its harder notes, it's still a good scent for old time scent school lovers!

an intramontable classic!!!!!

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Wow,wow,and WOW. The vintage is...perfect. Simply perfect. The reformulation is a shy shadow of the richness and quality it had. One of the best ever, no doubt!

Bbjr
Bbjr

Just received a vintage bottle of this along with some Caron L3. Oh my!! Versace is a gem! Call it old barbershop scent, whatever you want, this is a stunning creation and does not even feel like the cheap crap out there today. It doesn't even have a spray, it's a splash, which I haven't used in years. This scent is amazing and exudes masculinity. I'd dare say this is the best I've ever smelled and I have more than a few fragrances. I paid less than $100 for this and it's better than the stuff I've paid twice that for. Why oh why can't they make this kind of stuff today. It's like all the old real fragrances have just disappeared and left a trail of wannabes in their path. It's a crime.

sswoverl
sswoverl

Initial impression strongly reminded me of crunching on a mouthful of Smarties with a hint of something floral. A couple weeks later our new son arrived. As I held the little guy in my arms, I was impressed by how much Versace L'Homme smells like the soap used on infants in the birthing unit. I don't get any leather and find the fragrance more feminine than masculine. Still smells mostly like a roll of Smarties to me, but evokes the feelings of tenderness, innocence, and beauty.

larrybuf
larrybuf

This fragrance is a beast. I wasn't crazy about the opening...thought it was a bit overpowering and man does it project. But, after about 3 hours on my skin it really mellowed out to something soft and beautifully masculine. After 15 hours it is still present as a skin scent. Pretty wonderful fragrance. I'd give this one a 7 out of 10.

GIMP
GIMP

I cannot imagine not having this in my collection. Its worth finding an original bottle. Its rugged and sensual and never wastes your time when you want attention. There is this old fashioned "after shave" vibe running through it trendy urban style.

It was designed by a gay man-Versace for other beautiful men to wear. Its sex in a bottle. To me it reminds me of gay sex. I know its relative and fragrance is not marketed for a specific group. Yet think about it...

Lemon, rose and leather done to perfection.

ION
ION

It is very important for a new brand to come up with a brilliant 1st perfume so that it establishes itself in peoples' minds. Gaultier, Armani, Cacharel and Versace were among those brands!
"L'Homme" by Versace is warm, powdery and comfortably masculine with a touch of lemon (the way Italians want us to believe their lemons smell in perfumery) with a French finesse provided by the Guerlain semi-sweet/powdery and woody background.
Technically it's not as refined as today's creations (technique after all is something that can be taught and evolved) but that doesn't mean much, because the impression it leaves behind as a perfume is far beyond anything today's perfumes can achieve.
It has the character of a man and the seductive alchemy of a woman. An irresistible combination indeed!
Its very good sillage makes sure that anyone close to the wearer will be equally attracted to him in the way he is attracted to his perfume.

PS. some resemblances to "Polo" and "YSL pour Homme" are undeniable.

Mansour Hamad
Mansour Hamad

Versace L'Homme is a classical masterpiece. I had the chance to try the original formulation, and it was a little bit sweeter and fresher to me, and It seems that whenever a name brand decides to release their first fragrance it's being their best as I feel with L'Homme,Versace's first male fragrance.It may not ever become a timeless fragrance but it should serve as a reference as to what well made perfumes should smell like.

florindeca
florindeca

it smells like Azzaro Decibel, or Azzaro Decibel is a copy after Versace L'Homme.

Metalhead666
Metalhead666

I blind bought it after reading reviews here but i really didn't like the smell of this perfume at first...very citrus...but as it dries down the real thing comes up...not one of the best perfumes that i have used but still a good one.
Smell-6/10
Longevity-8/10
Silage-7/10

Kostas_Minimal
Kostas_Minimal

When i came here to check out the reviews of versace l'homme i was like wtf there is no way a perfume could get so many positive reviews!I mean there isnt even 1 negative review so i HAVE to get my hands on this!And i did...
Oh boy this thing is a beast its so classy refined and oldschool that makes all recent releases so shallow.Its everything a mens frag should have in perfect harmony!And i have to say that it has so great ''personality'' that YOU cant wear versace l homme as IT wears you!
Now the bad(yes it has some small minuses sorry) is the opening which is sooooo lemony and i dislike too much lemon in perfumes.But who really cares?The drydown is the star here....And last the projection isnt that good on my skin,maybe because im having the reformulation....

Overall:A classic oldschool masterpiece 9/10

Housebliss
Housebliss

Original formulation:

This has to be one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled, if not the best. It combines everything I adore in a fragrance, into one perfect blend.

It's very masculine, yet very soft as well. It's beyond sexy and exudes class without even trying. This is understated luxury, and the best part is that it can be worn any time of the year, any occasion.

Words can't describe what this smells like. You need to experience it for yourself.

I'm in love.

Original formulation:

I'm in love.

kanak
kanak

very classy fragrance. never tried it before because i thought it was too similar to Armani pour homme. i have both and there is some similarity but i somehow like Versace L homme better, especially since you can pick up a bottle for half the price of the armani. long lasting, very refined, probably have to be a little older to appreciate it, some hair on your chest, grey in your beard, grow into a man LOL. I am sure I would not have liked it in my teens and twenties, now in my thirties smells "perfect".9 out of 10.

Edit- Out Of the 50 or so frags in my wardrobe, this is my Mum's favorite on me bar none and that is saying something coz she has a very sensitive nose and hates or is indifferent to most of the frags I wear. This is a true masterpiece.

asheble93
asheble93

What a pleasant surprise this scent was.
When I first spray it, the opening came off as a typical powerhouse scent; but after that, the drydown was amazing. It reminds me of the new Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, but with a fuller body. It has the same sweet, woodsy-floral notes; but is stronger and more assertive. It is very clean, very fresh, and very enjoyable.

Sillage and longevity are great; lasting throughout the day and maintaining a level of projection that reads: "you're going to smell this whether you want to or not."
8.0/10

agonista
agonista

Carnation, carnation and once more carnation...but so lovely blended that you can call Versace L'Homme as a classic masterpiece.
After first couple seconds after application you can smell the citrus notes - but not so clean, simply and strong like in other classic scent - YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration - in Versace perfume the citrus are much more "bitter" , less fresh -more dark. It's because of big leather note which appears in the same time as citrus - if you focus little bit more on the leather note you can be sure that it comes exactly from carnation.
What can be strange it's a fact that the first part of perfume pyramid of Versace or first impression after application is quite difficult and can amaze somebody but not in positive meaning.
(Anyways, this scent is for real men -not for "floral and tender boys"). Please wait some minutes , one hour, two hours - the scent evolves hauntingly and the next notes appear incrementally:cinnamon, patchouli , sandal wood and other notes...Of course the carnation/leather notes a still there but in softer way.... Great&Classy.

Versace L'Homme has superb longevity and good projection.

My rating:

Longevity: 9/10 - up to 10 hours
Projection: 7/10
Scent: 9,5/10
--------------------
Overall: 8,5 / 10

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

This is not retro, not vintage...this is a timeless fragrance, not for boys...for Men...smell it 2 believe it...

limited Edition
limited Edition

I really like this fragrance..am slightly amused that us guys are the only reviewers..not a good sign..haha

funnyboy
funnyboy

The more often I wear this the more I like it.
Opens with citrus but underlying woods ,spice and maybe a hint of patchouli.
I remember this in the 80.'s and find thst the current formulation is not as strong or as spicy but it is still nice for an evening out where a "modern" fragrance would not be appropriate.i.e a formal dinner with old friends ,a classical concert or even a walk in the woods on an autumn or winter day wrapped in layers of.warm clothes.
I think it is good quality and a unique fragrance also good value.Even though the bottle top is a bit plasticky it is well designed and a good powerful spray.
Lasts 4 to 6 hrs on my skin.I still love the spices and woods that remain in the drydown,
The only perfume I can really compare this with is Equipage by Hermes but the.Versace is longer lasting a,sweeter and more pleasing to my nose.After buying this again after a gap of many years I would sum up by saying that I couldnt be without a bottle.
my rating a good 9 out of 10!!

hadrian
hadrian

One of the best for a real man.
Smells and sound like 80*s... but, still, it*s timeless. Exquisite... dry... just a bit spicy... and, for those women who are around you, hardly forgettable.
Enjoy with care on the trigger: three shots (neck left+right and chest) is all you need.
Overall, a verry good 9/10

haronushka

how not love this classic beauty ???

LANIER
LANIER

This city is old, very old, la città vecchia. It was first settled by the Greeks, Neapolis, the new city has stood in splendid defiance of the fires of Hades for thousands of years. Fires which could sweep it away in a roaring flash. Vesuvius glowers green and gorgeous as it rises nearly out of the heart of this city. The walls of the houses of Naples are ancient and burnished with the patina of history and war. It looks old and at times dirty but it is proud and enduring. And at night this city is the very heart of Italian amore! Una notte a Napoli says it all.

One night in Naples
With the moon and the sea
I met an angel
He could no longer fly
One night in Naples
Of the stars he forgot
And even without wings
Took me to heaven

And the men of Naples are indeed angelic, they have what all Italians possess, style with a capital “S”. Only in Naples it is more so. With death the ever present mistress of these men, the men of Naples tread beneath the killer of Pompeii and carry themselves like kings. They dress with an elegant élan and walk like indolent big cats as the leave the ancient houses to take a passagata in the evening. Even the poorest men of the city dress well. It must be in the blood to always look so great. There is no fashion runway like it in the world as they stroll with their ladies though the streets of the city. Not even Versace can do these Neapolitans one better. The only thing I can think of when I wear Versace L’Homme is of these incredible men of Naples.

Versace L’Homme might have been created with men such as these in mind when it was launched in 1986. This was the height of the power fragrance for men, bombs of scent that demanded attention. If too many opposing power bombs met up in a club there could be blood. What stands out about this predominantly leather fragrance is how restrained it is in its opening of lemon, petite grain, basil and Italian pimento. In this 80’s age of gold chained hairy chested panache Versace L’Homme comes in easy and with great style. This gives the fragrance timelessness to me. This is Versace before Donatella took us all to the gladiatorial arena. This is not for the moment, for boys who like the flash and drama of a passing fad. This is a well made Italian suit for a man of substance and taste.

The center of this fragrance develops with roses in a patchouli patch sprinkled with cinnamon and cedar shavings and infused with sandlewood. The effect is Pepper! The leather comes up from behind and wraps you in a well made and comfortable jacket. The leather was rubbed with labdanum, and Tonka oil. In the breast pocket you will find a bit of smoky Oakmoss and a few vanilla beans.

The passagata of Versace L’Homme lasts around five to seven hours and like its louder friends at the club it has very good silage. But this one will not grab you by the silk tie and shake you for attention. This sly sexy guy enters the room with true and impressive grace that beckons the senses with true Italian style, much like l'uomo da Napoli/

FIVE GOLD STARS *****

amazing classic and classy 5/5

krmarich
krmarich

This was a favorite of mine for years. Long before the Jeans became popular, I had an original bottle until 2009 and was lost as I took my last spray.

This was when I first discovered the reformulation had taken place. I generally ignore reformulations, yet everyone here seems to thinks this one is acceptable.

Will I get a new bottle? Probably not. Its like discovering your lover is cheating on you. Its never the same.

This was a horseback ride through the Italian countryside on a comfortable leather saddle. Along the way, you pass lemon trees, various flowers and deep GREEN woodlands. Versace had redicovered the fougere in Italy! It was perfect in every way.

Paradise lost, yet again...

Update 3/15/13 I had to get another vintage bottle. This is the best of the best as far as lemony chypre go. Giorgio PH has too much patcholi, Boucheron PH too much lemon. I love the others very much but this one goes to the head of the class! I think Versace Lhomme is one of the most versatile, comfortable scent I have ever encountered. Its all weather friendly. There is a lot of vetiver in here too. Ah yes, my 3 favorite notes are prominent-oakmoss, rose and sandalwood done to perfection!

This formulation is perhaps the archetype of how a man's fragrance smells-rugged yet refined.

Slayerized
Slayerized

For me this is the best the Versace house has ever offered for men.
This fragrance is for mature bold men who are confident about themselves.
Being produced for almost 3 decades already and for a reason! Though reformulated this fragrance is still very enjoyable if you like strong manly scents! This frag has it all! A manly citrus opening, followed by manly spices and a manly leathery drydown! Old fashioned or dated? No way! It's still very wearable and classy but again this is not for men who mainly like the after 90's bunch of woody citrus and aquatic scents. This is still wearable old school!
The sillage and longevity are way above average (8+ hrs) and women like this as well a lot as so is my experience. Brilliant stuff! Masculanity, boldness, confidence and matureness in one! Good for casual as well as formal wear in- and outdoors all year around except real hot weather! This will aways be in my wardrobe for sure! Rated: 9/10

Bierko
Bierko

fougère woody, unique and different, composed of bergamot, neroli, diamond cider, bitter orange leaves, geranium, sage, blue hyacinth, cedar, mineral amber, tonka bean and musk
p / I 8/10

Grottola
Grottola

Boy, there sure is a lot going on here...

Versace L'Homme is a fragrance I'd been meaning to try for a long time, but never got around to, and now I'm in possession of a vintage 30ml tester bottle that I got for $5. It may have seemed too good to be true, but it's the real deal.

Three fragrances come to mind when I smell this: Kouros, Balenciaga Pour Homme, and any coumarin-heavy fougere (the latest examples being Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir and Eau Sauvage Parfum). Imagine the tart animalism of Kouros, paired with the majestic spices of Balenciaga Pour Homme, and a dash of sweet, marshmallow-like coumarin, and you'd have something close to Versace L'Homme. The stuff I got isn't TOO old (I'd estimate 10 years at the most), but it's old enough to get an idea, and it's pretty nice. There's just so much going on at once, and in my opinion, not very good stuff for a blind buy or beginners. Versace L'Homme is also VERY strong, and it can be very easy to overwhelm someone with this stuff. So definitely try before you buy.

I can't say a lot of mean things about Versace L'Homme, because I'm sure many men have grown up around the stuff, or had this fragrance be a part of their lives for a very long time. There's a reason it's still around, and I can appreciate it. Also, the drydown has an awesome tobacco-like smell, if you think cigar ashes, or, more distantly, weed roaches. I'll have to revisit this one when it gets a bit colder out.

jozemo
jozemo

My favorite cologne, a powerhouse, the scent just stays with you quitely throughout day or night, manly and strong ,would not have it any other way,Versace made a masterpiece.

ericrico
ericrico

To have Vintage Versace L'Homme - both Original Script logo and the 90's formulation in the brown box with the block letters, as well as current formulation...one can only take a step back and admire what it is - refined, classic, powerful masculinity in a bottle.

I love a lot of reviews here and, for current formulation, admire MrMookie's rather concise perspective. I have written extensively on all three formulations and their notes, composition and different vibes on Basenotes.

I will say this, in short - junior_halston, RobbieX, krmarich, yudisuseno, K1, and Mokokos (among many others) - grasp the beauty and sheer magnificence in this bottle of fragrance. Hands-down, the absolute best bottling ever created by the Versace house and a true classic by any definition.

My ratings - Original Vintage: Masterpiece
90's formulation: Near Masterpiece (as I have found some slight subtleties and nuances different from Original Vintage, but they are very close)
Current formulation: Still Very Good - Excellent, and it layers wonderfully with 90's formulation.

At times, my preference is to layer some 90's juice with current formulation in a full wearing. But, I never layer Original Vintage juice. It is undeniably, brilliant. As macho as a scent can be - yet chic, elegant and exudes class, masculinity & great confidence!

Epic.

VanAllan
VanAllan

A hidden gem and one of the mature fragrances that deserve a bigger price that those few bucks is sold for.
I have a 1.7 oz of the recent formulation and like it pretty much for what it is: bitter-lemony-alcohol opening that morphs in about 10 minutes into a wonderful fougere-musky-leather combination of notes.
Strong sillage, very good longevity (one squirt on the arm lasted more that 8 hrs.), complex development.
I'm glad I rediscovered this because I think that sense of smell as the sense of taste is evolving if you train it enough. My humble rank 8.5/10. ☣☣☣☣

murysusanto

Good thing about perfumes from 80-90's era now remastered and newly packaged. This l'homme was one of many versace's legacy. Only a few were remembered and stayed on top sales.
Now I have this and thinking when Versus by Gianni versace will be reproduced?

MrMookie
MrMookie

The opening :
Masculine!Distinct! and all i can say : Unique among all fragrances around...
Chop petit grain, a leather glove,basil in a blender and pour a little spoon of lemon over it and mash up all of it.. and put your nose in it...
It goes from left to right in sharpness and spicyness very,very unique.
Middle part and drydown After 30 -40 minutes (depends on skin) it gets softer and more skinwise. very elegant Gentlemans scent.
Lemon freshness turns into Sandalwood,musk and vanilla.
Great drydown but i hope to smell the vintage somedays as people said is better.

This is a truly magnificent scent, women would really like to be on your side strolling down in the streets of Paris (Slayerized ;-) on a nice autumn evening.

tomerits
tomerits

all i can say is that for me this is the best versace perfume out there, one of my fall/winter fav and i absolutely love it. will always have it in my wardrobe.real masculinity in a bottle.
my rank 5/5.

sparkyman
sparkyman

Fragrances such as this make me wish, again & again, that I had a trained nose to do them justice and really broadcast their brilliance to those of you reading. However, I'll leave this "art" to those worthy professionals who I've been following here, for "informed" purchases of unsampled wonders.

From a laymans point of view, I sought out a Vintage bottle on purpose, just to ensure I got the original conception before the new millenium fragrance police got involved and set about degrading so many classics.

Sat here now with a huge grin on my face following receipt of this beauty this morning - a sharp lemony herbal opening with typical 80's power, but this gracefully decays into an exquisitely blended floral, supported by a wonderful, ambery sweet & vanilla edged creamy leather. To my nose, this is a very slight touch of the ultimate desirability I find in Guerlain L'Instant Extreme.

It's just getting better & better as the clock ticks by - Another great scent that makes me smile. It's great when you discover something new from a bygone era. This one now resides on the "True Classic" end of my shelf.

Rolling777

just wondering, besides me, who looks at the votes and reads the comments on here and other places before buying? i like checking the votes...if there are more likes and loves and very few dislikes i will deff. think about getting it.

i got this yesterday did a test spray...smells great but want to use later

i like this site! i will give my review later on this VERSACE L' HOMME BY VERSACE when out and about wearing this :)

Rolling777

reviews got me. i will report my thoughts on this when i take it for a test. wont get it till thursday.
once again a blind buy based on opinions
thanks i think

misterjohn
misterjohn

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

Backstory

Fell in love with the Dreamer and that really turned me on to Versace, so I set about looking for more stuff at the same level as The Dreamer. L'Homme seemed to fit the bill, but it's a very confusing scent to buy what with all the different versions specified only by subtle differences in the lettering on the bottle.

The Experience

Anyway, I got myself a bottle of the first reformulation (not the most recent one) and took it for a test drive. It was okay. I sort of liked it, but it did not blow me away like the Dreamer. (Just to be clear, the two scents are nothing alike. The only comparison is that they're both by Versace.) I try not to judge too soon as I've found my mind changed with repeated exposures to a fragrance.

It's now been about 6 weeks, so I feel ready to make a call on this one. Initially, this fragrance is nothing special. The first hit is citrus, lemon, with some bitterness. It remains this boring thing for about 30 minutes and then starts to morph. Much like the caterpillar turning into a butterfly, this fragrance does the same trick. It goes from being a homely fruity, herbal concoction and transforms into a warm and complex leather fougere. As time passes, the complexity dies off leaving only the warm and pleasing scent notes of leather, musk, and a hint of vanilla/cinnamon sweetness.

I like to try out scents on my family to see what they think, so I ran this one past my wife. In the period shortly after I sprayed this on, her reaction was "yuck". I then tried again about an hour later. She commented that this "new" fragrance was much nicer than the yucky one I had on earlier and that I ought to ditch that one for the new one. She was shocked when I told her it was the same fragrance.

The lesson here is to be patient. Smelling this in the store or on a card will not convince you to buy. Indeed, this smell is deceptive and unrepresentative of the experience. Instead, get a sample, try some on your arm over an hour or two, and you'll be hooked.

Best of all, it's quite inexpensive--a safe blind buy if you can be patient enough to reap the reward.

Final rating: 89/100

It loses points for the poor opening and scent that is excellent but not transcendent. Gains bonus points for offering amazing value.

Ideal user

Mature (late 20's +) guy with a limited budget looking for something unique with leather as its centerpiece. Must be patient with fragrances.

gzalvares
gzalvares

Beginning in the lemon it's really obvious, I also feel a note of ginger that is not listed. But after 30-40 minutes, there is balance in the drydown, with leather more evident, which makes it very elegant and comfortable.

prego145
prego145

If my memory serves me right, this is my first designer perfume, if not my first perfume at all. I still love it. I still have half bottle of it. I guess this bottle has been with me for 20 years already. Seldom use it. Only reserved for very, very special occassions.

goofynose
goofynose

the top notes are a bit old fashion, but then it settles and evolves into something chic and elegant. the Leather and soapy scent cimbines into something sharp yet comforting. I feel confident and well dressed when wearing this perfume.

I got an bottle of 100ml for 15 euro at a corner drug store. What a nice surprise!

willsfbayarea
willsfbayarea

The first fragrance I bought myself when I was 12 back in 1987. I saved up my allowance and bought it. I still like it but it does smell a bit different then it used to. Basically when it was discountinued for a little while in the 1990's and then came back with a different distributor it smelled a little different but still retained what I liked it about it.

oxm
oxm

Versace l'homme, I own a few more precious drops back some twenty years ago, the thrill is still intact is a fragrance to be delivered to posterity, if it existed at the time of the pharaohs might be depicted in their paintings.Opening is extraordinary: aromatic citrus and at the same time (a waterfall in a hot day) the warm heart of woods, spices and rose to radiate its sweet notes, the fund is a riot of emotions with vanilla, musk, leather labdanum and give positive feelings, in my opinion is one of the classics classic, timeless stainless steel, amazing i do not remember any similarity with other scents,
incomparable.
Tremendously chic.

DaZeD
DaZeD

It was my first Versace perfume i ever bought and i was immediatly in love with it, the heavy dramatic and unique smell is definatly classic (kinda vintage), but as a young man of 28, (24 when i bought my first bottle)i do love wearing it, so much actually that i just bought another 100ml bottle.Since then i'm a big fan of Versace perfumes, but this one is the one i love most!

TokoUnion
TokoUnion

Undescribable sensuality...

girasolina
girasolina

Ho amato questa fragranza sugli uomini. Ho amato rubarla a mio fratello e indossarla io a soli quindici anni!
Non era il solito sporco umido e ammuffito patchouli ed è stato costruito in armonia con note esperidate che non sono facili da associare alle note calde.
E' un profumo che amerei risentire, con grande nostalgia, ma sono d'accordo con chi dice che adesso la formula è assolutamente diversa. Ancora una volta la qualità paga pegno per la moneta e il soffocante ritmo del commercio.

The opening has something in common with Versailles Pour Homme, Patou Pour Homme, and Monogram, so I'm guessing the pimento is playing an important role. I like this part of the fragrance (I have the original formulation). After an hour or so, what happens is that a creamy effect occurs. There's cleary patchouli, wood, amber/vanilla, and a touch of spice. It's rounded out by floral, oakmoss, and gree/herbal notes. In some ways, this is a "green" version of the original Old Spice idea, though it's not as powdery or musky. For some reason, I like the Old Spice idea (I have Night Spice from the 80s and a few other fragrances that have similar qualities) but I don't like this green version of it. I can understand the appeal, but I prefer fragrances such as Green Jeans, the original version of Quorum,. Polo Crest, etc. The green, plaster-like quality of Versace l'Homme is really unpleasant to me. Longevity is excellent, but the projection ("sillage") is moderate/good when it dries down. Note that some have claimed that the new version has a generic base, which would not surprise me at all. If good note separation isn't important to you and you want a green, leathery, "old school" fougere, this is one you probably should sample.

Mokokos
Mokokos

The original Versace L'Homme is one of the greatest fragrances for men ever made. I always have to have a bottle of the juice in my collection. I love wearing it and get compliments on it all the time. I do feel that the composition has changed slightly through the years. It's gotten a little softer, mellower. The Patchouli, amber, cinnamon notes are the highlights and the dry down brings out more of the musk. Always right, always wearable, day or night. In my younger days I always went back and forth with Versace pour l'homme and the original Armani for men. Just fantastic!

jimmbobb
jimmbobb

I have been using Versace l'homme products for ten years... the only problem I have is the difficulty in being able to purchase the products I like to use. I have used 1/ after shave lotion, 2/ after shave balm, 3/ stick deodorant. I have a problem being able to find the versace l'homme stick deodorant and the after shave balm.... Do you have any suggestions where I might find these products if you do not have them available. Also do you have any suggestions about products that are similar that are more easily found.... I like everything about the versace l'homme products.

RayFlash
RayFlash

It's soapy and slightly citrusy, but only at the beginning, then - leathery with a big "L". There's also a touch of sweetness and spice. Overall impression makes me think of Abraham Lincoln's leather chair. ;D

This is a fragrance for men who have to shave hair on their back, but, frankly, I like it very much. Does it smell dated? Well, I guess it does, but I don't care, it doesn't bother me at all. Great stuff!

Longevity and projection are both excellent.

yudisuseno
yudisuseno

this perfume is simply amazing, you want a character for you, then simply pick this one.
it smells spicy and leather blending.i can smell vanilla a bit too.
really classy,
the longevity is amazing.
i get compliments wearing this all the time, hey, i am only 20 and i wear classics, it boost confidence :P

cherryred80
cherryred80

Very, very classy. I bought this blind recently and I'm so glad I did. It's one of those few fragrances that is suitable for all occasions yet has bags of character. Other reviewers have it spot on - it flows between oriental and traditional and it does so seamlessly. Strong but not overpowering, good longevity and acceptable sillage. Did I mention classy?

sue165
sue165

my dad use to have it when i was like 14.. I adore it.. i always sprayed on myself.. and it's leather wow!!! i've never thought leather perfumes can smell so great!!

sixthsense007
sixthsense007

Just recently bought this without testing, based on the reviews and notes.

It's a complex fragrance with huge character. It really seems to be an essential addition to any male collection. Very masculine, so you could wear it with confidence in any situation, including the office (without raising too many eyebrows).

It has to be one of the best mainstream fragrances; very sophisticated scent.

Indro
Indro

Wearing this cologne gives me a pleasure beyond any imagination.The notes are so balanced that the ingredients can be easily recognised.A fantastic blend of Occidental freshness and Oriental warmth and elegance.So far the best from Versace.

junior halston
junior halston

I have to say this is Versace at his best in fragrance.

I have never encountered such a scent of contradiction as this one at once its fresh and Mediterranean and spicy oriental the next. It truly plays upon the them of hot and cold.

This house has yet to come out with a fragrance as unique as this one.

zoka
zoka

I still remember this fragrance very well even if I did not ware it for years. I simply love it. It is very elegant, optimistic and energizing. Perfect for raising self-confidence when going out.

I would recommend it for morning shot of citrus freshness in the top that follows you trough day with its warm and a bit woody-leather-spicy heart and base.

It lasts quite long time and I have received several compliments that is good fragrance. I think that I will get another bottle soon, I have spent old one in few months because I used it every day did not get tired of it.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Versace Versace L'Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Versace Versace L'Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Versace L'Homme by Versace. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Versace L'Homme by Versace represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.