Designers » T-Z » Floral Fruity « Groups

Basic Instinct Victoria`s Secret for women
dislike

tuberose
Basic Instinct Victoria`s Secret for women Pictures

Basic Instinct by Victoria`s Secret is a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. Basic Instinct was launched in 2004. The fragrance features apricot, tuberose, gardenia, plum, patchouli, turkish rose and vanilla.

Apricot Tuberose Gardenia Plum Patchouli Turkish Rose Vanilla

Nuit Des Bourbon
Jeanne
Summer White Sunrise

Basic Instinct Fragrance Reviews

drugstore classics

Patchouli - Rich - Purple - Elixer!

Sadly discontinued, and ( not surprisingly ) far more sophisticated than your average Victoria Secret release.

I feel that it may not suit as many people as gentle fruity florals, thereby earning the title of 'stinker' somewhat predictably. :) On my skin the results are almost electrifying, in an entirely positive way. "WHAT are you WEARING?!", being the question most often asked. I can honestly say that Basic Instinct is one of the few fragrances I receive consistent compliments on, right along with several other despised 'granny' scents. This amuses me no end, since I'm not anywhere near my grandmother's age, nor usually interested in Victoria Secret Fragrances!

Conclusion:

Most fruitchouli lovers will be unimpressed, but DO give this a whirl if you're the sort of girl who generally favors classic, patchouli - dense Florientals.

Rating - 4 stars. Great sillage, longevity, and uniqueness.... wish it were a tad less expensive and still in production!

CherriedEmpress
CherriedEmpress

I am REALLY not one to really loathe any particular scent, but this... this smells like a very cheap drugstore old-lady perfume. Grandma sitting in her rocking chair doing crossword puzzles and handing you a Werther's caramel :). I was very, very disappointed. I am shocked VS would even sell something like this. I have a lot of VS perfumes. There's something about VS scents that I really like. They're crisp and contemporary, most are floral and fruity... occasionally they mix it up somewhat and release a yummy woody or ambery scent. I bought two 2.5-ounce bottles, and one was a pretty beat-up tester that I got for next to nothing. I hoped and prayed that the first bottle was a fake, or rancid, but then I got the second. Worst blind buy ever. I got 2 bottles because I was confident I would be able to at least tolerate them and/or put them to use elsewhere in my home. The notes listed here, I usually enjoy. I like my perfumes semi-heavy and lasting, but this is heavy in a headache-inducing way. Can't even use it as a room spray or a laundry spray. Don't get me wrong, I love my Grandma, but... Obnoxious.

ChypreAnn
ChypreAnn

I got this at the semi-annual sale today, 75% off. What a find! A few points:

1. I can't believe musk isn't listed in the notes here. I'm not a chemist, of course, but this smells musk-tastic. If it were listed, I'd score it as the dominant note.

2. I love how the bottle is very Elizabeth Taylor-like.

3. Like others have said, this has a Narciso Rodriguez vibe, but I would add that it's also very much like a lighter version of Agent Provocateur. The similarities to both of these perfumes have to do with the patchouli (and musk combination? Surely it has musk!).

4. I guess this is technically a floral fruity, but it's much more "floral woody musk" or even "chypre floral" to me.

This fragrance does seem a bit retro; I feel like a hot pinup broad wearing it. I had, for well over a decade, browsed the Victoria's Secret perfumes but not bought any. Basic Instinct is the first VS I've bought in many years.

Dayi Marquez
Dayi Marquez

Just purchased this fragrance in the semi-annual sale. I have to say I really do love it very much. I think its very sophisticated and womanly. This is diffidently a perfume that I think its very appropriate to wear during night time and for Fall and Winter. I can spot the notes of Gardenia, Rose and Patchouli.
@perfumejunkie7 I agree with you. I kept walking around the store smelling my wrist and thinking this fragrance reminds me of something but of what then it finally hit me. It is very reminiscent of Angel by Thierry mugler. I do think that the finish of this perfume is a little bit more powdery and that it is softer then Angel but very similar indeed.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I love Basic Instinct! I can't tell you what individual scents I smell as I am not good at that. I can say that I don't understand why there are reviews on here that say it smells like old lady. To me, it is a very unique, very sexy scent. I detect more of a musk scent then a patchouli scent. I love both! I will definitely buy again when mine runs out.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Before leaving the office a colleague of mine used a body spray that smelled absolutely divine! Of course I asked her what it is and it's VS Basic Instinct. When the body spray fills a room with its divine scent like that I most def have to get my hands on it and the perfume as well! :) Its scent reminded us both a lot of Narciso Rodgriguez For Her, by the way. Very womanly, sexy and musky with a good dose of patchouli. Hmmm

perfumejunkie75
perfumejunkie75

Anyone else think this smells very similar to Angel?? It's nice but I already own Angel and in me they smell too similar and seems to fade quicker.

Perfumedsecrets

I still have a little spray bottle of this, and honestly it reminds me so much of Narciso Rodriguez. Very musky and sexy, but also floral--which is what makes it different. At the time I bought it in a set it was rarely used, but I'm glad I kept it because it now fits into my collection when I change scents for fall.

Sveltekittie
Sveltekittie

It should be noted that there is at least one element missing from above- this contains an essence of wine resins, which makes it very unusual. I have found it to be a love it or hate it fragrance partly because of the red wine aspect. If you wear too much, it can smell like you've been drinking. So be careful not to overspray unless you enjoy taking a breathalyzer test.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I seen this numerous times at SAS at VS and just never bothered to try it. I did this year, mostly because it was 75% off. Sold. I got lotion and edt.
When I seen the notes on this site I was totally flabbergasted-I can't smell any of it. Although plum and tuberose together clearly give it a very chypre feeling(like in original Poison) and this is what this scent is. It middium intensity floral chypre with hint of fruit. I can see why people say that its simular to NR-there is def resemblence. I will also say that it reminds me of SJP Lovely, except Lovely is a bit fresher. These are enough alike that if you have either one of these scents, I wouldnt bother with Basic Instinct.
Lasting power is ok. I layered both lotion and spray and got 3 hours out of it. I think this is nice scent from VS and very different from all fruity water they usually put out

TilasProdigy
TilasProdigy

This fragrance is a very floral and musky fragrance. Out of the the it being floral is a 9 and musk being a 4 1/2.
When I first smelled this fragrance it said "Dusty Rose" The musk was the dust and the rose is obviously the rose. I smell the gardenia in there as well with just a hint of tuberose.
---------------------------
Fragrance Rating 10/10

kaejuntun
kaejuntun

Even though this fragrance has been discontinued, it has been available at every semi annual sale since it was taken off the shelves. Years ago, when I worked at Victoria's Secret, I remember smelling this one multiple times and really disliking it. I remember thinking it smelled very heavy, wasn't even close to my style of fragrance.I couldn't understand why anyone would want to buy it.

Fast forward - I tried Basic Instinct yet again at this year's SAS and found it to be SO much different than I remembered! The first impression is still pretty intense, but after smelling the tester strip repeatedly for a few minutes I decided to try it on my wrist. I am STILL sniffing that spot every few minutes! While it seems like it might be a really bold scent to begin with, it really mellows out very nicely. That's not to say it doesn't make an impression, though. The patchouli isn't an incensy, heavy patchouli (even though it is listed at the top of the list as the strongest note). I like to think that it must be the patchouli that gives Basic Instinct its character, steering it away from another run of the mill, boring, VS fruity floral. The plum and gardenia are the other most noticable notes to my nose. The plum is ripe and juicy, and the gardenia adds nice a nice white floral touch without being sharp. I don't really detect any tuberose, which is nice since many of the fragrances with tuberose tend to be dominated by that one note. As time passes the fragrance becomes a bit softer and smells cleanly floral, not dirty or heavy in the slightest. I think it is "clean with an edge", because although the patchouli impression has faded, it lingers. Mmmm... becomes more and more delicious as time passes.

Another plus about this one - it really does last! And there is was never a time while wearing this that I thought I might not like it. In fact, the longer I wore it, the harder I fell! I also loved that I never felt like I was wearing a man's cologne. Still, I wouldn't call Basic Insinct a tame, everyday fragrance! There is something seductive about it, exudes confidence, and it is undeniably sexy - a woman's scent, for sure!

This is a major testement to how one's tastes in fragrances can change! I bought a bottle of this right away, and will gladly wear it again!!

PS - I would disagree that this scent is gourmand. Also, I detect absolutely no amber in it whatsoever. I can hardly even discern any vanilla. :)

Raven NessRavenous
Raven NessRavenous

I wore and loved this throughout college during my early 20s. I received many compliments from women, men, and children. It is a night scent, but I wore it in the day during fall and winter. It fits dark, mysterious types. Earthy, complex. Wish it wasn't discontinued.

drugstore classics

I am officially impressed.

Wearing this today has been such a treat, and entirely owing to the generousity of a real sweetie here at Fragrantica. The mini she sent me did not have a name, but with VS on the bottom it wasn't hard to look up.

Several things surprise me about this fragrance. For one thing, I never thought I'd be complementing a VS perfume! For another, this is the only fruity floral that smells this Terrific on me. I think it actually resembles a Floriental rather closely in structure....
The third thing I can hardly believe is that Basic Instinct contains so many notes that typically sour on me. Perhaps it is the strength of the patchouli that simply overwhelms everything else?

There is a peppery bite ( again the patchouli? ) that sings out, backed by a group of subtle florals. I smell a rich and grounded plum with the florals, but little else. The notes make this sound Too sweet, which could not be further from the truth.

My chemistry gives this a decided thumbs up, even while my brain is still whirling from the experience! This one defies expectation, creating an aura of womanly grace and charm. I'm smitten!

cinema1974
cinema1974

I like this scent but too strong but in a good way... it last long time but a real night time scent...compared to many victoria perfumes...floral deep and woody with a hint of patchouli but in a softer manner..not the hippy shop patchouli but a sweet end of the woods smell...good scent and when you wear it, it one people know...

This fragrance reminds me why I love patchouli. This is deep, fresh, cool, floral, mysterious. This is sexy in a subtle "come hither" way. The patchouli predominates and gives this an earthy quality, while the cool restrained florals add a refined elegance. Love it!

Wow, I am very surprised. This is absolutely beautiful! This was my first blind buy and I am so happy I took the risk. I'm not a huge fan of heavy patchouli, but this is very well blended. Somewhat spicy, yet very clean and fresh. I'm very bummed this is discontinued!! I think VS should bring this back, they already have a ton of fruity scents!! Who's with me on this?!

sweetgirl

THIS IS ONE OF VS GOOD QUALITY SCENTS...THEY need to bring back quality not quanity! i have this and the lotion, very sexy and lasting..!

diana.barrientos
diana.barrientos

This is awesome i love it, yes it is strong so it lasts long time and it takes less sprays so why people complain? SEXY scent at its best

thecomic22
thecomic22

I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with this fragrance. On one hand: It's sexy, dark, provocative & lasts a long time. On the other: It has a tendency to be heavy, smothering, & make's my sinuses go haywire. Sometimes to the point of even giving me headache. So in the end, it sits mostly unused on my dresser. I believe this perfume had so much potential to be amazing, but it's just too overwhelming in my opinion.

karenrobert
karenrobert

oh my God, it's very very sharp . It reminds me of Shalimar men's cologne. I tried and I tried to like this perfume because it was on sale 75% off during the semi annual sale but it's badly headache induced . Maybe it's made for more mature people with less sensitive olfactory senses. For me, it's just too nauseous. I would put it into the offensive fragrant

colorblindlove
colorblindlove

I'm not a fan of this scent at all, it's too musky. I think people who like the Very Sexy for her or So In Love may like this scent.

Bklynlatinlady
Bklynlatinlady

I love this perfume, its listed on my top 5. I have had a couple of strange men give me compliments on it which is definitely a plus for any scent.
The combination of everything here is simply delightful. Makes you feel a little naughty, haha. Will definitely get you noticed.

galbgamary
galbgamary

Very Sexy became popular only cuz the fragrance did earn its name!!! This is called Basic Instinct cuz the fragrance earn it's name too! Nobody should ever compare these two together cuz they are very different moods! Either you like it or leave it!

Whit
Whit

I had never smelled this until today. I was at VS's semi-annual sale and decided to give it a sniff. Whoa! This is really different from what they normally have! This is what Very Sexy should smell like, because that's what it is; very sexy. They didn't have any perfumes left, so I bought the body lotion, which I think will be strong enough. I really like it; it has depth and sensuality coupled with a dark mysterious aura that surrounds it. Not too bad for a VS scent! :)

Very seductive, dark and mysterious fragrance!

First I didn't notice its beauty because it seemed to me musky enough. But then I really felt in love with it.

Most of all I feel the plum note in this fragrance. I'm a huge plum note lover because between the fruit notes this note seems the most seductive to me. And its plum note is the best plum note in perfumes for me. It reminds a dark plum wine scent. And it really makes this fragrance very intriguing and alluring. Between the floral notes the gardenia note is the most noticeable. And this note makes this fragrance very much suitable as an evening fragrance. Actually, all notes are noticeable. The tuberose note brings floral sweetness to this fragrance. The Turkish rose note makes it more beautiful. The apricot note makes it softer. The patchouli note is strong enough in the base and makes this fragrance intensive enough. While the musk note makes it more femenine and sensual. And finally the vanilla note makes this fragrance normally sweet.

I really love this fragrance. It's very sexy!

cheriebeary73
cheriebeary73

I also can't decide if I like or hate this stuff! I just happen to be in VS one day and saw this sitting on a table. The bottle caught my eye. Spritzed a little on me, and left. Later on I kept smelling this wonderful scent and realized it was that VS stuff I sprayed on me, so ran back to purchase it. I used it a few times and it's ok. Never get compliments wearing it, and usually my husband is first to notice a scent. So the other day was sniffing all my perfumes, came across this, and WOW, all of a sudden, it literally gags me! Way strong and thought "old lady" instant. My 7 yr old daughter ran and said Yuck! lol My husband said "it's no Coco M.!" (that's his fav for me) So now way up on a shelf it goes until I throw it on ebay!

Edit: I ended up swapping this with a friend. She traded me a $20 gift card along with $10 coupon at VS. So I went and bought myself VS Sexy Little Things Tease. So happy I got rid of the other one.

sweetgirl

Got this during their sale this month and I'm glad this came back out , I love it , sexy , lasting and appealing and great for a sexy grown night!

Koukla190
Koukla190

so it looks like Victoria's Secret brought this back into stores, maybe for the holidays at least. So I tested it today and I'm not really sure if I like it or not. Let's just say it lasts a long time! well over 8 hours, that's great. The only thing is, I find about the first 4 hours somewhat unpleasant and then after that it starts to smell better and better, until it smells really great! When I first put it on, I thought it smelled like a really strong stinky perfume from the eighties, too musky, almost like BO, cheap hooker, really offensive! haha! But hours later it takes on a softer, though still very noticeable sweet,plummy, spicey, with a hint of floral scent, mmmmm, I actually can't stop smelling my wrist. It does remind a little bit of the original Poison. Right now I'm getting a delicious scent of nutmeg and plums (there's no nutmeg listed as a note but I'm getting spicy notes that smell like it). However, I don't know if I would buy this or wear it only because I can't wait that long, all those hours after it's first sprayed on, to get to the point where it starts to smell good and I won't be afraid of offending people around me. I mean I would have to spray it on a least 4 hours before I leave the house....so I don't know about that..

ward.w.3ood
ward.w.3ood

This is a great perfume! It is very sexy and sophisticated

nush imogen
nush imogen

First VS perfume that I dislike (I got 9 of them), I dont hate it, but wont wear it much. It smells like grass or lettuce to me, certainly floral, but not like blossoms, more like stems. For some reason the undertones remind me of the smell of dirty public restrooms. Yuck. But that might be just because it doesnt go well with my skin, Im sure lots of girls would disagree :)

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

Funny story: My fiancee and I were strolling the mall one day and decided to check out VS as it's one of my favorite stores and oddly enough he never complains about that ;) I picked up this perfume because the name humored me and I was curious what it would smell like. Spritz a little on and OMG blech! So not for me! This stuff was way too strong, way too old lady floral for me. Didn't even notice that my fella was next to me looking at the lotion version. Being the curious guy he is, he pops the cap up to smell but accidentally squeezed some in his face. Im laughing and heading toward the checkout with some other things I picked out and in a very audible voice he belts out "AAW I dont wanna smell like Sharon Stone!" :-P Maybe there's a reason it seems easier to shop alone lol. But long story short, I was not impressed with this one.

jasmasid
jasmasid

Do we know which Victoria this refers to? The old Queen of England, or the wife of the footballer? Or is there another one I haven't heard about?

Norgirl
Norgirl

starts off very hard to my nose , a LOT off patcholi and rose and plum. but after a few minuts the other notes rescues this one for me . i was ready to say a big no no to this one . but its not that bad. . i can feel the tuberose and gardenia mixing well whit a bit off vanilla and apricot. a nice little blend to make this more fruty and sweet . but not at all to sweet.
the plum is pretty strong all the way.
a night perfume i would say.
a brave statement maybe . not my type off perfume.
but nice in its own way

ticalica
ticalica

I am very surprised that this was produced by Victoria's Secrets! Today their lines are very linear combining a flower and a fruit...

Although I dont admire the sillage and longevity of this scent, I am taken aback when I realize how mature this is and how there are hints of incense and oud in the background...

I spray it on clothes not on skin

twillocks
twillocks

yuk not me I can't even get washed off.

Woodfaery
Woodfaery

I love this perfume.Thanks for all the positive reviews...I went with my gut and purchased a bottle.
Definitely a keeper.

IamWoman
IamWoman

Basic Instinct is an incredible fragrance, and its name is so befitting! It is like taking a walk through an exotic garden, at dusk, after the rain, in a silk, spaghetti-strapped full-length sundress that blows in the spring breeze. This garden is luscious. It is sweet (never sickeningly). It is romantic with its invitation to the sexy darkness. It is even fresh and soothing. The plum gives BI its dark juiciness. Just below that, it seems, lie gardenias, white, crisp, and fragrant. This seems mellowed by the relaxing apricot and vanilla. The tuberose and patchouli "ground" it all in blatant sensuality. This fragrance is feminine, and, like the silk sundress, not at all shy about being sexy. It's message is clear...this is not for the timid or the inhibited. Basic Instinct spells "seduction", and not in a "nice-girl" kind of way. It is dark, juicy, and unapologetically alluring. At the same time, it is classy and clear. This is a woman's fragrance, not a girl's, and a woman who is confident, comfortable in her own sensuality, and not "coy" in exuding her sexuality, whether publicly or in private. Basic Instinct is no cheap-slut, or candy-cane type of fragrance. It doesn't slap you in the face, or play juvenille games with you. Back-alley or backseat has absolutely nothing to do with this league of shameless sensuality. It's very adult in its approach. It lures you. It envelopes you. It caresses you. It seduces you. And, it soothes and relaxes you. Feminine, intoxicating, purely and distinctly sexy....both the fragrance and the lotion. I will NEVER understand Victoria's Secrets decision to discontinue this jewel, but as long as "select" online fragrance stores continue to carry it, I will continue to keep it in my fragrance family.

Syrenna
Syrenna

I love this fragrance! It's long lasting and very classy! This is a perfume I could wear every day and never get tired of smelling it. I was very sorry to hear VS has discontinued it! Figures!

larali
larali

This is a great perfume! It is very sexy and sophisticated, but still beautiful (as opposed to old-rich-stinky lady smelling). I kept getting hit on by my college professor when I wore this.

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

Seems like it is only me that cant stand this perfume=( To me it smells just like alkohol and soap, can anybody tell me how it is suppose to smell? Cant get any fruits or floral at all=(

nyoka
nyoka

i love this sexy ,powerful scent.every note id distinct and like a flower bud,just keeps opening to more beautiful things,last a long time,too

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I like this a lot, it is a very sexy scent almost intoxicating. This is easily one of the best fragrances by Victoria secret. It is more mature than any of their other fragrances. This is so different from all the other perfumes they put out that I would've never thought this was a VS scent. It's a bit strong at the beginning but it's a very complex sexy scent. I could easily say that I like the body lotion a lot better than the actual perfume, but when it is layered it last a lot longer.

jemma
jemma

Basic Instinct for me is love from first sniff! Beautiful aromas, soft and tender with good durability and is discreet scent.They resemble each other with Narciso Rodriges, as composition and would be a good deputy, considering its price!

exciter76
exciter76

I just learned something about myself--I love tuberose. I love its ability to be sexy in one scent and coy in the next. Now on to this fragrance...

It wasn't love at first sniff. It was actually more like love by accident. I wanted the black evening bag which contained a trial-sized bottle of Basic Instinct. I tried on the fragrance and liked it, and only liked it. One night I went out to a swanky bar with some friends and fell head over heels in love with it. It needed a time and a place to be enjoyed, like a good chianti, which is good on its own but better with a linguini bolognese.

I love, love, love the tuberose in Basic Instinct. I love the plum which lends a slight sweetness. I love the lingering vanillic rose when the scent has dried down. I love how velvety it all comes together. Strangely, Basic Instinct is the provocative, zaftig older sister to Ralph Lauren's Romance's virginal pixie.

It's long-lasting and it's sexy. Most important, it's sexy.

Perfumedsecrets

This came out a little before Prada, but when I smelled it and then Prada came out.. it got run over by it's popularity. I have the tiny .5 spray. It's deep and doesn't apologize for being sensual. VS debuted first, so they should have gotten more credit. Honestly I can wear this, but can never wear Prada. Updated: As V.S. ALWAYS DOES... they discontinued it. If it's not like candy or a headache floral (Love Spell), they get rid of it. I think this is the most unique scent they have ever made! Rich fruits with deep florals. It is intoxicating in small doses.

vtothek
vtothek

This could've been an amazing scent, but there's something off about it. I'm going to blame the patchouli, as that seems to be where the issues stem from.

The top notes are pleasant and juicy, particularly the plum. As it dries down it has a strange dark smell to it, almost as if something was rotting and someone sprayed some lysol to cover it up. My initial thoughts are this is a strange reaction of the ingredients. I got this smell from both myself and a friend wearing it, so it's not one of our distinct chemistries doing it. Perhaps though, someone could make this work on them. As I said, a great idea, but something about the execution didn't go right.

Helene
Helene

I enjoy every minute wearing this perfume! Very special to my mind, not a common one, full and refind fragrance.

Chaosnmotion
Chaosnmotion

I love this perfume and I have gotten many compliments when wearing it. The patchouli really comes out on my skin.. it has a spicy yet cool allure to it and I wear it quite often.

afraafra
afraafra

The opening is dominated by apricot, but reminds me of Escada perfumes only better.

Basic Instinct by Victoria`s Secret 3.61 out of 5 based on 189 ratings and 50 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Victoria`s Secret Basic Instinct fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Victoria`s Secret Basic Instinct, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Basic Instinct by Victoria`s Secret. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Basic Instinct by Victoria`s Secret represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.