Designers » T-Z » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Antilope Weil for women
dislike

aldehydic
Antilope Weil for women Pictures Antilope Weil for women Pictures

Perfume line Weil was founded by three brothers, who have energetic and cheerful temperament and find their inspiration for perfumes in fur. Luxurious fur, Roaring Twenties, is signed by creators Alfred, Jacques and Marcel Weil.

Perfumer Claude Frayesse in cooperation with Marcel Weil made the first perfumes packed in Baccarat flacons back in 1927. Their names associate us of expensive fur: Zibeline, Chinchilla, Royal and Hermine.

Marcel Weil's death in 1933 did not stop expanding their fragrant collection and adding several other perfumes: Bambou, Cassandra and Noir.

The Weil family started living as emigrants in the USA from 1940. They started presenting their new fragrant oils: Secret de Venus, and when they returned to Paris in 1946 they introduced two other editions: Antilope and Padisha.

Together with Jean Pierre Weil the brand Weil modernized in 1960 and published Eau de Fracheur, which was placed as a unisex fragrance because of its freshness. Editions Gentilhomme from 1966, Weil de Weil from 1970, Chunga from 1977 and Weil for men from 1980 were added. The year of 1984 was very significant for Weil, since a great success was achieved with Bambou, which was attractive for its aquatic-fruity accords. Perfume Kipling was introduced in 1986, Bambou and Eau de Fracheur received new packages in 1991.

The brand Weil has been in ownership of Interparfums (Aroli Aromes Ligeriens) since 2002. Perfumes Weil pour Homme from 2004, SweetBambou from 2005 and So Weil from 2007 have been introduced since.

Antilope was introduced in 1946 as a floral aldehyde combination, with neroli, bergamot and aldehydes in a top. A heart encompasses clary sage, rose, lily of the valley, jasmine, carnation, iris and violet, while base notes include a woody-amber base: sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, tonka, amber, oak moss and musk.

This perfume is available as 30, 50 and 100ml edp, 75ml body milk and 140 ml deo spray.

Neroli Bergamot Aldehydes

Clary Sage Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Jasmine Carnation iris Violet

Sandalwood Vetiver Oakmoss Amber Musk

Antilope Fragrance Reviews

rockegg
rockegg

I did a Eurail Pass trip to Europe when I was in college and while keeping costs down I allowed myself the luxury of buying one perfume while in Paris. I chose this. Very sorry to hear it has been reformulated.

nananessa
nananessa

Vintage Parfum

What a nice surprise in a lot, this little mini vintage delight for a self-professed chypre addict!

Yes, it has a surprising sharp & bitter green opening in the top notes, but that is about to evolve from what seems to be a chypre, but loses the contrasting sharp element quickly. But oh, this quality oakmoss that softly embraces with powdery caresses---it has proved to be this oakmoss-lover's special treat. So if you dearly love high quality oakmoss, then this one is for you, too.

The bergamot & florals are perfectly balanced, the sage & aldehydes burst forth verdant, but the oakmoss is the star of this amazing juice. I even make my own oakmoss fragrance from the pure essential oil & LOOOOOOOVE oakmoss so very much. I use the oakmoss essential oil, pure jojoba oil for a carrier & Everclear to make my own. A bottle of oakmoss is a staple on my dresser. I really appreciate when a fragrance is able to produce wonderful quality genuine oakmoss. And this one does it, hands down. Perfect for we moss-lovers! Gorgeous, tenacious, classic & a steal easily found on ebay & elsewhere worthy of an appreciation of this classic.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

This review is for the vintage EDT

The opening notes in this remind me of Chanel No.5, only better. Some floral note softens it and makes it more pleasing to my nose. While No. 5 seems so linear and cold on me, this fragrance changes to a soft floral with woody, amber undertones.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Yummy bitter green beginning, slightly herbal, very elegantly feminine. Sage is very prominent - I'm not sure what is Clary sage, but the smell is unmistakably sagy, just not the harsh culinary sage, here it's softened with flowers and musk. I don't get either rose nor jasmine, only some delicate and whispering forest flowers - very probably it's violets and iris that give this effect of poetic lightness. Closer to the dry down the base woods start to show, and they are needed here, to recreate the perfect picture of a forest in summer - wild flowers, moss, musk (animals) and of course trees. Very warm and rounded amber and wood notes.
This scent is a masterpiece, so perfectly crafted to take you to the forest through all the note nuances and at the same time staying a perfectly whole composition, that's a pleasure to wear. The effect on me is very refreshing and uplifting, just like spending some time in the woods, breathing fresh air, smelling flowers. Antilope is my new love, I want a full bottle now.
After I wrote my review, I noticed that Chanel 5 is listed as similar scent. What can I say: I absolutely dislike Chanel 5, got a bottle as a present and gave it away after fruitless attempts to even tolerate it. At the same time I wholeheartedly love Antilope.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

On my skin, the current version of Antilope is an appealing cross between Balmain de Balmain and Replique!

Though certainly a matter of personal chemistry, the similarity to one or both of these seems very clear.

Lovely.

Perhaps it is better not to know what I am missing in the original formulation...... I prefer contentment over Pandora's Box!

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

The scary, bony plastic-surgery face of the upper class. This perfume can't even blink anymore. It's still elegant after all these years, but with an almost bandit-like sharpness and equal bitch factor. Its cold, herbal iris is like the russian tundra. Diamonds and furs from head to toe. One claw-like mummy hand with a flawless french manicure ashes a cigarette into a baby skull.

This one sings to me.

saritarose
saritarose

A to Z I've worn Antilope for years (my daughter wonders why anybody would want to smell like an antelope) and once read that Monica Vitti favored Zibeline. Recently acquired some of that too. Quite a different story from Antilope. I'm sorry to report that it will not make you look like Monica Vitti, but try it anyhow. Interested in Chunga too, because it's named after a barefooted Flamenco dancer of the past.

buren
buren

I once owned Secret de Venus, so I was pretty excited to find Antilope.
Antilope of course is quite different....a balance of complicated scents that suggest maybe wild grasses & animality (an antelope?).
I care not at all for lily of the valley, but fortunately this element & the other floral elements are well balanced by the bergamot and the warmer undertones..so that Antilope is bright without being acrid, warm without being oversweet.

pippab
pippab

Around 1970 I was given a coffret which contained pure parfum minis of Antilope, Cabochard, Joy, L'air du Temps and Capricci. They were all divine fragrances.

A few years ago I purchased the reformulated Antilope concoction and was soOOoo disappointed! It was nothing like the original. When will perfumers ever learn - if it's not broken, don't fix it!! You only end up annoying us.

If you're one for old-school classics, especially those with a good powdery dose of aldehydes, Weil's Antilope is for you. Please note that the following review is on the reformulated Antilope, and has no reference to the original.

Antilope, to my nose, is both powdery and earthy. The powdery aspect is very pleasing to my nose, however it is interrupted by a beautiful oakmoss accord, sending it into chypre territory. It reminds me of Miss Dior (the original), a majority of the time, with that same powdery-chypre feel.

It wears rather smoothly, not cloying nor ostentatious by any means. To some, Antilope may come across as being dated and mature, but I am quite welcoming to these qualities. Antilope has a strong sense of character and I like that.

The drydown is a touch animalic, which makes it a little less pretty than your regular floral aldehyde. I actually prefer it this way, with its somewhat dirty musk approach. You do have to be in the right mood for it though.

The lasting power was quite impressive, lasting a good four or so hours, before beginning to fade. I believe my sample is the EDC. Admittedly I like my aldehydes a touch fresher and creamier, but this fragrance has shown me a more masculine and muskier side. I recommend.

angel6
angel6

My husband gave me a little perfume bottle of Antilope when we first met in 1986 and I it was really stunning.
about 8 years ago I came across a edt in a perfume site for a very good price and when I smell it was so dissapointed because it was not the same perfume at all, I could not finish the bottle. Very sad.

emi_artist
emi_artist

(review for vintage parfum version)

A fabulous earthy take on the classic French aldehyde, it recalls a very wholesome, 1940s picture-of-health woman wearing white gauze linen, nonchalant and impeccable at the same time.

This is a woody/earthy/herbal aldehyde which would not be out of place in a vintage wardrobe of fine summer dresses, an almost sporty perfume which at the time it came out, 1946, must have heralded a season of change and freshness after the Second World War.

Typically French, soapy and herbal but "lived in" somehow, fresh and warm at the same time. No doubt made with the finest materials as my well-kept vintage version smells fresh and intact even in 2012. To seek out and cherish for a balmy summer evening in Paris.

stormyla
stormyla

The original of this fragrance was so incredibly beautiful and sexy. I wore this as a young single professional after work back in the early 70's. We would stay in the city at night and my older co-workers would teach me how to drink gin martinis and gimlets, Manhattans and 12 year old scotch on the rocks.

This fragrance attracted many gentleman who were more than happy to buy our drinks and quite often dinner. Those women who were more mature than my neophyte self advised me never to give this scent up. So, why did I?

Today I saw a new unopened 30 year old half ounce of the perfume oil going on Ebay for $350. Amazingly the seller has three unopened old stock bottles of this previously divine scent.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

My newest! I'm wearing it troday and I'm impressed. Such a nice fresh floral scent. Soft and musky,and very green at the same time, no sweetness here!

I don't know the old version of this stuff and as I can see from reviews it differs a lot from the new one. Obviously the one I have is the reformulated one - but nevertheless, believe me it is fantastic.

jaijai
jaijai

I agree with CaraMia. I loved the original, but the remake is sickly and bears no relation to the beautiful subtle scent I remember. And it's not just that the years have passed either! How sad to have lost something so unique.

jujy54
jujy54

I'm the happy owner of the vintage EdT and PdT, 4 and 2 oz respectively! Lucky me. Vintage Antilope shares an aldehyde/clary sage vibe with My Sin, Ma Griffe, and even Miss Dior. Of all of them, Antilope is my favorite. The clary sage stays on clear through drydown, balanceing the herbal with anisic sweetness. I never tire of this stuff, and am in the hunt for a contemporary fragance that contains those notes in case I outlive my current stash.

All I can say is, go on ebay and look for vintage. otoh, the prices can be high, and vintage My Sin is so similar (just a tad more civet in the MS) at half the price or less.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

I'm getting heartily sick of people who refer to classic, vintage perfumes as so-called "old lady" scents!!!! It's such a cliche.

When you're older, like me, Britney Spears "Curious" will possibly be referred to as an "old lady" scent!!!!!

Weil is actually a perfume house I would qualify as a true 'expert'-house. Their perfumes are not for the people looking for highly modern perfumes, more the vintage addicts like myself. Antilope vintage is like very expensive jewelry to me. It is a counterpart to Zibeline. I wish I had Zibeline in big...
Thankgod I have Antilope in big...
Would hate to miss them both..

elenamirela
elenamirela

One of my favourite parfums.

imoore
imoore

floral woodsy aldehydic chypreish

tangerine, neroli, galbanum, acacia, farnesiana, narcisssus, hyacinth, ylang ylang, may rose, lily of the valley, oakmoss, civet, sandalwood and musk

Weil ANTILOPE reformulated edc reminds me a bit of CABOCHARD meets MADAME ROCHAS. The opening definitely carries that "old lady" or "my friend who wore perfume back in grade school and drank milk from a saucer like a cat" smell.

I'm personally all for "old lady" perfumes: give me aldehydes, dried flowers, and dark chypres any day! In fact, I have a ton of them! This one is not as nice as some, but better than others and certainly wearable. I think that ANTILOPE, even this "weak, insipid, blasphemous" reformulation, could really grow on me, if I gave it some time, especially since the drydown is sufficiently appealing and complex.

The question is: will I reach for ANTILOPE so long as I have so many other time-tested old lady perfumes in my armoire? We shall see...

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I experienced an animalic type of leather scent. It was soft, but only leather. I couldn't detect any other notes. It was not powdery. It was not sparkling. It was not herbal. It was only leather.

pipi1
pipi1

it reminds me little bit of John Galliano edp.They have similar notes

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

My review is for the vintage 'Extrait' with reference to the re-formulated version of this 1946 floral / aldehydic masterpiece by Weil.
Gorgeous opening with top notes of Tangerine, Neroli & Clary sage followed closely by a powerful interplay of exquisite floral absolutes comprising Rose, Jasmine, Mimosa (Acacia), Iris & Jonquil. All of these elements rest on a supporting base of cool Vetyver, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber & Civet. Beautifully blended parfum with extraordinary sillage and longevity on skin.
These earlier Weil formulas contained high concentrations of natural animal fixatives and are rarely used in present day commercial perfumery, if at all ! These included tinctures of Deer musk, Civet, Ambergris, Castoreum & Musk Ambrette as well as the now obsolete Nitro musks and their associated synthetic analogues & ketones.
This is where I find similarities with other vintage perfumes, such as Chanel No.5, L'Origin & L'Aimant by Coty, Arpege de Lanvin & Dana's 'Tabu'.
'Antilope' in the re-formulated version also contains Chamomile, this astringent/herbal element creates a more austere/arid feel in the eventual dry-down and is absent in the original version.
Alas,
One more fragrant jewel lost to the ether !

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

You know this is a very nice scent but for the fact it is so watered down that it should be in the ninety nine cent store! I was so infuriated at what was sent to me that I sent it back for a full refund and I was not going to take "NO" for an answer! I imagine at one time this was a real classic beauty but what you get now is a mere shadow of its existence before things got out of hand with selling pure garbage for money!

Sissi
Sissi

This one came out during the craze for aldehydes where the rage and this hapends to have aldehydes this one has more of an exotic tinge to it chanel no 5 has more of a sparkling bergamot and lemon weil's antilope more is a musky
leather of a perfume.

The word Antilope more you think of a african serengeti and i'm thinking of a
exculsive hunters country club in narobi
kenya where hauty british colonial aristrocrats sipping on their champagne
or watching a stampead of zebra elephant lion all the animals of the plains of africa. or the sunset on the african horizon.

Carla
Carla

Vintage Weil De Antilope is the bomb! If Chanel No.5 isn't your thing and you are a floral-aldehyde lover and enjoy soft leathery undertones, try this. The House of Weil, way back when, got it right with this original concoction, it's steals No.5's thunder big time.
Weil's selection of top notes with neroli and bergamot mixed with "just enough" aldehyde that gets you off to a pleasing beginning. Nice and slow enter the floral ensemble with the equality of each one perfectly blended. Hold on there's more! You become enticed with the amber-y, soft leathery warmth while vetiver makes a climatic appearance in the final sequence. What can I say? It was iconic in the 40's and 50's (so they say) a smash hit in the 60's & 70"s( I can attest to this) re-surged in popularity in the 80's and 90's and for me, continues to work wonders in the moment.
Antilope, It's Addicting & Awesome!

Post Note: This review is based on the original vintage formulation.
The current formulation is like, what is this potion? An extremely poor representation of what it was meant to be, so don't bother. Go for the gold and invest in Weil's original.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I purchased a vintage micro-mini of Antilope because the notes, the category and the age of the perfume gave every indication that I would find the scent agreeable. I love those heavy-duty old school florals and dark orientals (aka "old lady scents"). On paper, it looked like a smorgasbord of my favorite aromas.

Alas, I have met my match in vintage Antilope.

I don't know if the volatile top notes have burned off due to age, or if the character of this fragrance is just too dark and dense for me to wear. It is a murky soup of musk, amber and oakmoss on my skin.

I passed this on to another member and may she wear it in good health!

antilope

Having been some younger I weared Antilope and Weil de Weil - but then both fragrances got lost. Two years ago my son brought me Antilope and Weil the Weil from US. To be frank I was very disappointed by the Antilope - I remember another type of scent and also the wrapping was strange to me. Weil de Weil was okay - I enjoyed it really. Now I am seeking for the original Antilope - the noble very fine delicate feminine fragrance - as I remember it from the time of my university studies in 70s.

summerbreeze1974
summerbreeze1974

I was first given this perfume at the tender age of 13 just before my first trip to Italy. Well it stuck in my head (or should I say my nostrils)and had been searching for it for years later. My childhood friend had been listening to me for years about how I had been looking for it and being an avid perfume wearer herself (albeit more knowledgeable than I ever could hope to be)happended to come across it whilst holidaying in Sydney Australia in a perfumery store. You can imagine my excitedness when she returned bearing my much-searched-for ANTELOPE perfume. The moment I sprayed it, it opended up the memory floodgates for me. I absolutely love it as for me it is a link back to my childhood (perfumes have a way of doing that). I am now in my late 40s and still have the bottle tucked away in my bathroom cabinet. LOVELY............

CaraMia
CaraMia

The original is stunning, the remake is a no-go for me bearing no relation to the original's rich musky spendor.

Antilope by Weil 3.93 out of 5 based on 92 ratings and 31 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Weil Antilope fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Weil Antilope, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Antilope by Weil. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Antilope by Weil represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.