Designers » T-Z » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Chunga Weil for women
dislike

aldehydic
Chunga Weil for women Pictures Chunga Weil for women Pictures

Weil Chunga was launched in 1977. The composition consists of notes: aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, peach, clove, jasmine, lily of the valley, linden blossom, orris root, ylang-ylang, amber, honey, musk, Tonka, vanilla and vetiver. Available as EDP.

Jasmine Clove Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Lily-of-the-Valley Peach Aldehydes Lime (Linden) Blossom Ylang-Ylang Orris Root Amber white honey Musk Tonka Bean Vanille vetyver

Chunga Fragrance Reviews

judyk
judyk

Nothing masculine here, folks. This is aaaaaall Woman! (pdt spray)

Full on aldehydes and a peppery spicy, almost Oriental, opening, followed by what I think of as the classic "Perfume" combo - exquisite flowers, a hint of musk, warm, sweet amber and some vetiver for zing. And it lasts.

Did I mention that I like Chunga? ;-)

jujy54
jujy54

Chunga strikes me as a more "butch-y" (with a "U"!) Antilope. I get Aldehydes, wood, and moss, with a slightly urinous honey note. It is complex and satisfying. This is very hard to find, all I have is a mini. Antilope is more traditionally floral, and more plentiful.

SallyR
SallyR

I came across this site by accident and searched for Chunga by Weil without much hope of success. I was begining to wonder if I had just imagined that I had ever had this perfume - which I bought in Saudi Arabia. That was certainly a long time ago and as we returned to the UK in 1984! I had a bottle of Chunga to bring home with me then and every time I wore it people would remark (in a good way!). When it ran out I was unable to find it in the UK. Later on when I had access to the internet and searched again - still no luck.
So what a pleasant surprise to come across this site and to see that others, like me, really loved this unusual perfume. I am now going to try some Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood (thanks Sablebombe!)

Bandit
Bandit

This is about vintage Parfum de Toilette:

It is definitaly a (vintage) masculine. This means for todays standards, that it works as a feminine as well (think about Knize 10, which strongly smells like vintage Tabac Blond EdT to me or Habit Rouge or Ho Hang). It does explain, why the reviews are mixed: It smells odd, if you expect a contemporary feminine perfume.

I agree with Passionata 20: Chunga goes through two stages.

Firstly, it's a strong (I don't think "aggressive") bergamot with vetiver and orris. No 4711 citrus, a complete composition from the first sniff on.

Than it morphs while losing the bergamot (and the amalfi lemon (?), which I can't detect, but I'm no expert) into more and more powder, it warms with obvious musk, honey and some amber, still some vetiver and orris root and a slight vanilla-tonka note. The drydown is sweet and creamy (not gourmand!).

In both stages it is very well blended, in the end there is an "aura" left, which I really would love to smell on a male, in my opinion very very sexy.

I've got something very strange going on with Chunga: In the drydown I can not only smell the perfume, but I taste it as well. The smell is not only in my nose, but in my whole mouth and throat and on my tongue. It's an experience to gorge a perfume!

I do understand why it is discontinued: There is no market for a perfume like that. Masculine scents are either very aquatic-lavender-citrusy ("fresh") or deep-syrupy-orientals ("sexy").

My huge vintage bottle will get much love in it's new home with me.

sablebombe
sablebombe

I absolutely loved this perfume and when I used to wear it Weil, I think, were beginning to cease production of it :( The only places I could buy it were Saudi Arabia (had a friend there who would bring me back the odd bottle) and Nice Airport in France!

It was a very strong fragrance and as passionate20 said it has a strong amber note but it isn't at all masculine in my opinion!

I've just used Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood and this is much the same scent just a little less of the amber - powerful, long lasting with a strong silage! I'm now wearing this to replace my much lamented Chunga!

passionata20
passionata20

This is a very strong and agressive scent that did scared me off in first 10 minutes completly! It is so explosivly spicy in a bad way i even wanted to cry so bad it was.
It has very strong amber note in it and too agressive citrus note that just cuts this scent through into halves and is very disturbing. Now after 10-15 minutes it has setteled down and it has completly changed it´s personality, very powderly scent with still a citrus note but not that agressive anymore in any way.
It does reminds me of a good mens cologne and i wouldn´t mind to smell it on my man, but not on me. Just too agressive for me. And i don not like smell of powder...

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every rewiev should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

imoore
imoore

A powdery floral masculine aldehyde parfum de toilette according to perfume intelligence.
So I am in love with a powdery floral masculine aldehyde parfum de toilette than, who is even 3 years younger than me !!!!
The fact that one of the Zappa albums called Chunga puts this fragrance into my good books as well.

Chunga by Weil 4.46 out of 5 based on 14 ratings and 7 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Weil Chunga fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Weil Chunga, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chunga by Weil. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chunga by Weil represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.