Designers » T-Z » Woody « Groups

Modoc Xerjoff for men

Modoc Xerjoff for men
dislike

Modoc Xerjoff for men Pictures

Modoc by Xerjoff is a Woody fragrance for men. Modoc was launched in 2009. Top note is iris; middle note is vetiver; base note is musk.

iris

Vetiver

Musk

Pentachords White

Modoc Fragrance Reviews

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Modoc it is a good example of that, though simple, is not so easy to please.
Focus on two chords, iris and vetiver, clearly feels the iris with its powdery aspect well, here not so much makeup, is sharper and vetiver with its earthy touch, love the two notes, combine? Not in my opinion.
Drying is a little more comfortable with a base in what seems to me musk and something like sandalwood, it has something sweet, maybe vanilla, but did not cause me surprise, for me, did not work out.

Xerjoff have disappointed me time and time again with their repertoire but something about this one with it's strong opening told me things were going to be different.
Modoc comes straight out with a sweet woody opening which is nothing short of beautiful. Iris and vanilla create almost like a very soft leather I was thinking at first. The powdery Iris accord is massive in this fragrance and coupled with vanilla becomes turbo charged in it's creamy sweetness.
Almost to the point of turkish delight...even a hint of rose in there perhaps?
This is tempered by woods & musky hints as it settles down though.
To be honest it's a little much in terms of powder but I can't help but be intrigued by Modoc. This is my third time sampling it before reviewing and the previous outings just served to confuse me.
When it dries down however it looses it's charm those opening few seconds promised so much but sadly Modoc doesn't deliver.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

On the opening I'm getting a very astringent iris and violet on a bed of dry vetiver.

As time passes a orange note appears within the blend with a little bit of sweetness making the scent more aromatic.

Eventually the dry vetiver and sweetness combine as we move into the basenotes.

I find this scent a bit unpleasant with notes that are not totally in harmony with each other.

biral
biral

It's safe, but very nicely done, as most of Xerjoff's creations. It's very close to some of Maria Candida Gentile creations. On my skin it has this very nice balmy effect, similar to the one in Sideris. And citruses/vetiver from Gershwin. I wonder if M.C. Gentile created some perfumes for Xerjoff.

I received a small sample mysteriously labeled only "MO" from MinNY, and because it was in a packet with other XerJoff samples, I figured that it must be from this house. Donning the perfume, I discovered that orange blossom and neroli were undeniably present. From there I deduced that "MO" must be MODOC.

Here are the notes listed at MinNY:

Lemon, orange, artemisia, Florentine iris, orange flowers, vetiver, vanilla absolute, amber, musk

To my nose, MODOC is basically a super strong neroli-orange blossom-vetiver cologne. It smells good, no doubt about that, but I think of neroli-orange blossom-vetiver as a classic cologne composition, not the basis for a fine perfume. Yes, it's a matter of habit and convention, but that's just the way it is. I do not think that this particular creation smacks unmistakably of 4711, which was my major criticism of Tom Ford NEROLI PORTOFINO, making it seem a ridiculous way to spend $200, if you ask me.

MODOC, in contrast, offers a potent dose of vetiver along with an equally strong neroli-orange blossom facet tinged by some greenishness--apparently imparted by tarragon (according to another site's hierarchy, which is closer to MinNY's but also lists tarragon), though I would not have identified it as such without prompting. I actually think that there is more vetiver than orange blossom/neroli in this creation, but there is really no getting around the neroli, which leads me to conclude that MODOC may not be the best investment for precious XerJoff funds, I mean, assuming that one has a budget of some sort. If the sky is the limit, why not?

velb95
velb95

EN
I discovered this company at the fair Fragranze 2012 in Florence Italy. It wasn't easy to find then the store that sells fragrances to the regular customer like me, but in the end I was able to buy the whole line from the site ausliebezumduft.de

I must say that there is a system to buy perfumes Xerjoff paying the relatively low price (the normal price of the bottle of 50 ml is up to US$ 260-325).

Since the Shooting Stars line and the Oud Stars line are the masterpieces of artistic perfumery, it is worth to buy the Shooting Stars - Discovery Sets - Part One and Part Two and Oud Stars Collection - Discovery Set that cost US$ 208 for each of the first two sets and US$ 254 for the Oud collection set. Of course there are the Discovery Sets for
XJ17/17 Collection (US$ 331) and XJ Casamorati 1888 Vintage Collection (US$ 182), but personaly I do not like the last two lines, so I didn't order them.

In each set there are 6 fragrances of 15ml each and therefore the price for a volume of 50 ml drops to US$116 for Shooting Stars collection and to US$142 for Oud Stars collection instead of USD$ 260 and US$ 325 for full version bottles.

IT
Ho scoperto questa casa di profumi alla fiera Fragranze 2012 a Firenze. Non era poi facile di trovare il negozio che vendesse i profumi ad un mortale come me, ma alla fine sono riuscito ad acquistare tutta la linea dal sito ausliebezumduft.de

Devo dire che c'è un sistema per comprare i profumi di Xerjoff al prezzo relativamente molto basso (il prezzo normale della bottiglietta di 50 ml arriva a circa €200-250).

Visto che tutta la linea Shooting Stars e la linea Oud Stars sono i capolavori della profumeria artistica, vale la pena a comprare il Shooting Stars - Discovery Sets - Part One and Part Two e Oud Stars Collection - Discovery Set che costano €160 per ciascuno dei primi due e €195 per la collezione Oud. Ovviamente esistono anche i Discovery Sets per
XJ17/17 Collection (€255) e per XJ Casamorati 1888 Vintage Collection (€140), ma quest'ultimi a me non piacciono.

Nel ciascun set ci sono 6 profumi nelle bottigliette di 15ml e quindi il prezzo per un volume di 50ml crolla a €89 per Shooting Stars collection e €109 per Oud Stars invece di €200 per Shooting Stars e di €250 per Oud Stars.

Ok, I'm probably alone here but, to me, this is all about an iris/violet accord laying on a so-so vanilla/vetiver base. Quite interesting at first but boring in no time...

As usual with Xerjoff: no, no , no.

Rating: 6.5/10

NukerCC
NukerCC

Trying a sample of this out right now.
My sample leaked all over during shipment and I try'd to salvage what was still wet on the vial by applying it to my hand. The opening scent reminds me of when I was a kid with a soldering iron burning designing into a piece of cheap leather. Very warm scent but not smokey. For the first 10min its the exact smell to me from burning leather with a hot soldering iron. Now that it has calmed down its VERY nice, same as the opening with less of the burning leather(not smokey)

First seen this fragrance being unboxed on youtube, the bottle came in a very nice satchel. The presentation makes it worth its money I think, Thanks

Fantomas
Fantomas

The first 3 - 4 hours it has fat vetiver swimming in amber. Then, we can see vanilla-iris base. That's all. Taking into account as Xerjoff qualifies itself, I expected more.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

My sample starts out smelling like alcohol and an odd medicinal, cedar-like note that I can’t identify. It then settles down into an extraordinarily strong iris/violet accord, dry and powdery, almost chalky, reminiscent of new leather that's still giving off the chemicals it was treated with. After a little while a slightly smoky vetiver comes through along with - what’s that? - a whiff of patchouli? Must be a component of the amber that’s reported by some sources to be at the base.

After an hour or two, the iris subsides a little, revealing a light scent of orange/orange blossom plus vanilla, accompanied by the dry powdery violet/iris/vetiver that seems to be the main attraction. Two to three hours later I start smelling sandalwood, so it seems that the “amber” contains vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood, for starters. After 5 or 6 hours the scent settles into a woody musk with a little sandalwood and some slightly teak-like nuances, a little bit sweaty and very comfortable feeling.

Modoc has plenty of sillage and lasts all day and more. It’s at least three completely different scents in one. I like it overall but, like all of the other Xerjoff fragrances, not enough to deem it worthy of the inflated price tag.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Xerjoff Modoc fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Xerjoff Modoc, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Modoc by Xerjoff. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Modoc by Xerjoff represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.