Designers » T-Z » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

English Lavender Yardley for women

English Lavender Yardley for women
dislike

herbal
English Lavender Yardley for women Videos English Lavender Yardley for women Videos
English Lavender Yardley for women Pictures English Lavender Yardley for women Pictures English Lavender Yardley for women Pictures

English Lavender by Yardley is an Aromatic Fougere fragrance for women. English Lavender was launched in 1913. Top notes are rosemary, eucalyptus, lavender and bergamot; middle notes are clary sage, cedar and geranium; base notes are tonka bean, musk and oakmoss.

Rosemary Eucalyptus Lavender Bergamot

Clary Sage Cedar Geranium

Tonka Bean Musk Oakmoss

Lavande Royale
Lavender

English Lavender Fragrance Reviews

NikiZ
NikiZ

I bought this for myself a few years back, thinking it would be a lovely smell [like the lavender sachets one puts is their closet?], but when I tried it on my skin, I was instantly put off... It's very sharp and balmy for my taste, the smell of lavender and rosemary were very strong, almost overwhelming...
My mother loved it on the other hand :) She says it's one of the best fragrances she's ever had, so I guess to each their own ;)

VintagePro
VintagePro

Just recieved my long awaited bottle of the Eau de Toilette and am seriously disappointed. Right out of the bottle, it has an acrid smell not unlike ammonia. I smell bergamot and rosemary primarily, with lavender being a mere afterthought. It has been less than five minutes since I sprayed it on my wrist and my clothes, and already the scent is almost undetectable in both places.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

I can smell lemon verbena, and I can smell christmas tree. But the lavender is very shy. And the "powder" is non existent.

This smells nothing like those soft smelling lavender scented sachets you have in your wardrobe...
It`s EXTREAMLY sharp, and way more masculine than feminine.

The bottle is pretty though, but that`s all.

mystica
mystica

A very true smell of lavender... so true that it's indeed suffering the same fate as her sister English Rose as for its actual wearability.

Despite so, I was appreciating it -I still do- until my then boyfriend said that it was smelling "better for clothes". I took his word for it and decided to gift my bottle. and I was thinking I did so, until recently. I found it on my mother's drawer years after. Never met with the intended recipient, it was dated and color changed.

I am so happy, as if I met an old friend again after we departed I thought for final.

Yardley's English lavender in its vintage form is so lovely, and it's still its unique self. In the form of French lavenders instead of English...

jahallowell78
jahallowell78

After 20 minutes now it is starting to fade, but the bags of dried lavender are still very clear, mixed with a hint of some smokiness I can't quite put my finger on. Gender neutral which I like very much.
*Two months later - since this only lasts twenty minutes on me I started using it as a sheet spray. My husband really enjoys it, as much as I do. This spray is refreshing and calming. Makes bedtime even better. What a worthwhile daily luxury.

Kiku
Kiku

THE classic lavender perfume and for a reason, it is simply the best. The only one that truly smells like lavender: fresh and herby and clean. Sweet but not cloyingly so. It is sweet in a dry somewhat dusty way, just like real lavender. Has stood the test of time. The standard for all lavender soliflores.

ginadantas
ginadantas

Maravilhosa!! Chega perto do meu ideal de lavanda... Apenas deveria ter um maior poder de fixação, pois para o clima do Brasil, apresenta uma duração muito efêmera... Mas a fragrância é deliciosa!

will93
will93

We were clearing out my late grandparents' house when I found a half-full (or half-empty? :P) bottle of this. As all the other fragrances we had found had belonged to my granddad, I assumed that this was his as well. I sprayed it on, and loved it immediately. It wasn't until later, when I looked it up, that I realised it's 'officially' a women's fragrance. I disagree; whilst only a women could wear this at night, I think it's a lovely daytime fragrance for men as well. It's summery, floral, and very bouncy. Men considering wearing this, beware: Don't wear it on any intimate occasion, the only way you can pull it off is as a straightforward, non-complex, daytime fragrance.

evesoho
evesoho

This is a composition that brings out the exotic element of lavender. I think when we say it's "unisex", we're picking up on the unexpected scope of the fragrance. It's feminine, yet masculine. It's calming enough to wear to bed, but uplifting enough to wear in daytime. It reminds us of the countryside, but it has an aromatic aspect that feels brewed, concocted by human hands.

I love the tonka bean; it may be what some people think is the powdery element, but in my botte, along with the gorgeous real oakmoss, it's creamy.

I have a vintage bottle in a vintage box that is still called English Lavender "Water", not "perfume". The bergamot is pleasantly detectable in mine, although I'm inclined to notice because I burn bergamot oil in my home. The rosemary isn't as evident, I don't detect it, unless it's what I thought was clary sage. (Update: just after a shower - it's evident).

I don't think the aroma itself is outdated; the only old-fashioned aspect lies in the composition. There is a *way* that it's been done that sets it apart from newer fragrances. Is it that Yardley's English Lavender was based on no existing scent? So many perfumes now are inspired by. . . other perfumes! I suppose we might never know what the perfumeur had in mind.

This is a scent that can be worn any time of the year. I enjoy wearing it mid-winter in Canada.

English Lavender by Yardley's of London feels healthy. It is a joy to apply it three hours before sleeping, then once again before bed. I expect to wear it in the daytime more this spring. It would be nice to have a lotion to layer.

Update: I applied my Aromaforce essential oil of lavender to my hair and the inside of my ebows, then splashed YEL onto my wrist and neck. I was upstairs doing this when my boyfriend called from downstairs, "what smells so good?"

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

It's herbal, powdery, and balmy. To my nose, it doesnt smell spicy at all. Projection-wise, is good with moderate silage so does its longevity. I do agree with many saying dat dis is more to a unisex rather than only for women.
The lavender note is subtle, smells quite like an ointment. I like the drydown very much, bcs it turns musky sweet, and soapy clean.

Halvah
Halvah

Beautiful. first I thought that it"s too simple, and who would like to smell exatctly like pure lavender, but it turns into something much deeper, into a mossy, warm, sensous smell. I love lavender - first minutes - and I love even more the rest. Unfortunatelly one must use more of this perfume to smell it for a while but even so, it is not longlasting at all. Sillage is weak, too:( Anyway the fume, till it is detectable is one of the cleanest and most beautiful scents I've ever met!

My adoration for lavender most likely began at a young age. I used to love playing amongst my Mother's herb garden, and crushing lavender stalks between my fingers. Now that I'm older, I use the scent of lavender for sleep benefits. Even though I've trained my mind to become drowsy shortly after smelling it, I do still enjoy wearing lavender rich fragrances like Yardley's English Lavender during the day.

The best thing about English Lavender is the inexpensive price tag. This is a decent lavender scent, which is thankfully easy to find. Despite being marketed for women, I would suggest that it could be worn by men too. Lavender is after all a common note used in masculine fragrances.

Yardley's English Lavender is a spicy, aromatic fragrance. It has a rather fierce opening of lavender, rosemary and geranium, which are all quite potent accords on the skin. However, shortly after application, English Lavender softens into a smooth yet alluring spicy lavender scent.

Unfortunately Yardley as a brand is quite popular amongst mature women, so younger girls often assume that Yardley fragrances will make them smell like an 'old lady', so they avoid them like the plague. Call me crazy, but I personally find English Lavender to be sensual, youthful and a touch masculine. I think everyone should test it at least once.

The only down-side to English Lavender is its poor longevity. I suppose for the price there would be no harm in re-applying every now and then, but it's still a bother. I would have bought it had it been more lasting on my skin. Concluding on a more positive note, I'm pleased to say that previous reviewers are not wrong in naming English Lavender as a classic.

missmywhite
missmywhite

To me, This is the only scent that will do when I want to smell clean, fresh and a little soapy. Not sharp or citrusy, or even sweet, just a classic lavender. I revisit this one every few years and always wonder why I waited so long.

tumbellina
tumbellina

I often buy the cologne stick of this in Summer. I was rather put off by the image which for both Yardley and Lavender is rather old-ladyish. In fact though I find this scent is very fresh and herbal, quite unisex rather than powdery and old-ladyish.

lister
lister

A very fresh,clean smell of Lavender.
When I got it by mail, I got scared that this stuff will smell like lavender baby lotion....but NO.It's an intelliget,crispy fresh scent,I want to say that it has a hint of citrus, but it's more of a floral background.
I can't imagine someone wearing this scent as a solo "perfume",it's just too floral,I mix it with other musky colognes and Yardley Lavender gives it freshness and opens the bouqet

mariasara
mariasara

I think this is a "no gender" fragrance, by the actual standards it could even be considered rather masculine. It has a brisk, metalic opening (not very feminine, perhaps) that might no be suitable for everyone. For me this is strong, pure lavender, with a musky drydown. I find this scent relaxing (all lavender is), so I place it in my shelf of therapeutic waters.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

A nice and very English Lavender scent. Not the smell of pure, crushed lavender, but a balanced mix of lavender and bergamot, followed by a shy geranium and a hint of musk and cedar in the dry down.
I like spraying a whiff on my pillow to sleep on (lavender is soothing and relaxing). Alternatively one could spray it on before bedtime and feel the relaxing lavender effects. I also like to spray it on my 'fancy' handkerchiefs. The pretty, lace ones that I take in my clutch to special occasions like the opera etc. I like the soap & body-wash too. Great relaxing scent with a nostalgic feel.

mslipsticklvr
mslipsticklvr

I love this fragrance and wear it daily. I, too, at first thought it was rather light and didn't last long; I had to keep spritzing. It then occured to me one day it wasn't meant to be a strong fragrance. It was never meant to draw attention when a lady as walked into a room and everyone could smell her or tell she was there. If you think England, place of orgin, 1913 launched. I just don't see that it was meant to be heavy and heady. It was/is a "just enough lady like" fragrance.
I think who did go to the length of a perfume that would stand out in a grand way was Chanel. The launching of Chanel No 5 in 1921 came in three concentrations. It was/is so elegant and so different then those little oils ladies dabbed on behind the ears on the wrist that even today women, including myself, make it my "number one go to" fragrance. I am not saying it's loud or strong, but baby you get noticed and in a really nice way!

dianthus
dianthus

Fresh and stingy lavender at the beginning, very natural and "real" one. After fev minutes turns into gentle eucalyptus melt with previous note, it lasts also few minutes(and my wrist start to feel little freezing- maybe becouse of essential oils of eucalyptus) then calms down while shy cedar looks behind of mentioned couple. Whole composition settles down as a dusty, bitter and dry whiff of nature world, which makes me little nostaligic...but i like this impression :)

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I recommended this to a friend who loves the scent of lavender, having had good luck with Yardley's English Rose. She bought the bottle and thankfully was extremely pleased with it. She liked it on first spray, thinking it a very pure lavender but liked that as it faded it became a little softer and creamier, due to the Tonka base I assume. Someone had said in a review that Yardley are excellent at making the most basic floral notes into wonderful perfumes and having tried English Lavender, English Rose and Lily of the valley I would have to agree.

cisco
cisco

Smells wonderful and very natural. It does not smell masculine to me. I love lavender and that is all this smells like. I would highly recommend. I have not had it on long enough to judge the longevity. The sillage appears to be average. I intend to couple this with lavender lotion and powder.

The longevity is poor on skin. It doesn't hold on fabric much better. I will probably put a small amount of EDT with lotion and powder on my skin and additional EDT on my clothing. I just love the natural lavender scent.

P.S. I tried spraying this on my sheets along with Lavender powder. Guess what, it took no time at all for both to disappear. I don't know why Lavender is so hard to hold.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Close to zero lasting power, but good silage while it lasts ( very short). Smells very very natural, just like you would rub between your hands a bunch of blooming lavander from the garden; same crispiness and woodiness; very similar to lavander essential oil; I suppose I will keep mine to scent my beddings, because I found it refreshing , relaxing, and natural smelling. Considering I paid $15+tax for a 50ml bottle at Shoppers Drug Mart, I guess it was a decent buy.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

YEL is a clear, crisp lavender scent, probably one of the closest to the real thing that is easily accessible...with absolutely no staying power. MUST be layered with soap, lotion and powder to work for me, which means I rarely wear it.

Lilyth
Lilyth

A year ago i was mad about lavender. It is very special, clean and reminiscent of something from my childhood.

nature nut
nature nut

I'm too emotionally caught up in YEL to know if I like it for itself or not. Funny what a fragrance can do to your memory, eh? When I spray it I can remember my mother vividly for a moment...then she's gone again.

The two quaint figures on the packaging haven't changed in all my years, the woman and child. I think I'll boost them, make a tiny frame for them and hang them on the wall of the dollhouse I'm building.

guest_richy
guest_richy

that s the finest perfum that i ve ever tried in my life but, the 1 million de Paco Rabanne, go ahead and talk for you first.

WireBodyArt
WireBodyArt

My mother introduced me to the finer scents of the world in 1962 with a bottle of this classic cologn with a bar of soap & lotion? I've layered from then on... hehe ;) Juli ;)

guest_panheg
guest_panheg

The English Lavendar deodrant is heavenly. I was using it, fell in love with the way in which it's fragrant and long lasting yet not overpowering. Buoyed by the deo, I went ahead and bought the perfume. Funnily, it did'nt smell anything like the deo!Sadly, it was a total let-down. Not long lasting either (which is a relief 'cos I wouldn't want something smelling so bad to be long lasting!). Some detergents smell better.

sky76sky
sky76sky

The scent of lavender bags & scented drawer sachets......soapy, musty, dry & powdery lavender.

I prefer a bit of a juicier, green & stripping lavender (like the scent of the essential oil) but this is pleasant enough. Not sure I want to smell like the inside of the drawer, day to day, though....

Edit: the lavender body spray is divine! Reminiscent of the lavender found in Jicky.

louyse
louyse

Old fashioned but still likeable.
When there is snow outside and the cold
weather is upon us, nice to smell on your skin. truly relaxing and soothing.

DocSharlach
DocSharlach

My mother gave me this because I asked for a clear, single-flower scent. It's what I keep in my drawer at work. Strong, not especially feminine, businesslike. Oh, yes, and smells like lavender!!!

Cassiano
Cassiano

Well, I don't think this is a female scent, but unissex.
It is strong and a little bit dry.
I don't feel the rose notes, but the lavender, the sandal and the tonka bean.
Good fragrance, gives me the idea of a longlasting bath.

azuriiita
azuriiita

My mother used this during years... its fresh, powdery with a clear bit of rosemary.
For me its a classic scent...
Not its something big amazing... but its comfortable, appeasing and fresh.
Regularly, Im feel unsuspecting about Yardley's fragrances, because are similar to buy natural extracts. A traditional brand :)

BelleBeryl
BelleBeryl

lovely lavender & floral scent

guest_Zoe M
guest_Zoe M

Very fresh...I try the english rose too...and Lily of the valley. One spring morning in a english garden with the sun and the light cold breeze smell like this fragance.

English Lavender by Yardley 4.01 out of 5 based on 167 ratings and 35 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yardley English Lavender fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yardley English Lavender, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify English Lavender by Yardley. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of English Lavender by Yardley represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.