Designers » T-Z » Floral « Groups

English Rose Yardley for women
dislike

English Rose Yardley for women Videos
English Rose Yardley for women Pictures English Rose Yardley for women Pictures

Yardley English Rose is a classical scent of an English garden, adored by women for generations. It opens with green top notes of rose and geranium, surrounded by creamy white flowers on the base of woody, spicy and musky notes.

It is available as 125 ml EDT.

Geranium Rose

Love, Chloe Eau Florale

English Rose Fragrance Reviews

NikiZ
NikiZ

Let my start by saying that this was a blind buy, based on reviews and my romanticized view of Yardley in general [the notion of beautiful flowers blooming in English gardens, as well as "Yardley of London" being one of the oldest cosmetics, perfume and toiletry companies in the world - I figured they know best, right?].

So, I've been wanting to get my hands on Yardley fragrances for years now, even though I never actually smelled them before - apart from "English Lavender". Problem is, I can't buy them where I live and ordering them online is not an option either, so when a close friend who lives in the UK said he'd come for a visit, I took my chance and asked him to bring me "English Rose", "Lily of the Valley" and the new "Daisy", all by Yardley.
I was so excited when I got them that I opened all 3 boxes at once and tried them all on different parts of my arms... and was instantly disappointed :(

It's not that I didn't like them per say...they just didn't come close to what I've read and expected.
"English Rose" does not remind me of roses at all; it has that powdery smell you find in those sachets you put in wardrobes and drawers, or the girly stationary with translucent pictures of puppies, kittens, flowers etc. I used to collect when I was a little girl... Mildly reminiscent of white flowers and talc powder, kind of synthetic... I have other rose fragrances that smell much more of rose than this one.

I would be OK with wearing it as an everyday fragrance, or even to the gym since the longevity and sillage are fairly weak and the fragrance is quite inoffensive to most people, but my husband "strongly dislikes" it, so it will stay in the very back of my perfume collection, until I find someone who likes it more than I do.

Bluemarinejosephine
Bluemarinejosephine

This English rose is, in fact, a very synthetic, watered down oriental rose. It starts off with a synthetic yet promising whiff of rose flavored turkish delight... And then, nothing! Simple soap has better longevity. You get what you pay for and, in this case, it is a slightly more expensive Febreze.

thatsperf
thatsperf

A lot of rose-based perfumes tend to not last very long on my skin for some reason. Yardley's English Rose lasted 6 hours on my skin. A gorgeous strong rose scent (not light and 'watery'). My late mother used to own the English Rose talcum powder so this scent reminded me of her. Inexpensive and easy to find where I live.

dielle.desouza
dielle.desouza

This is such a beautiful light fragrance. Great for when you don't want to wear a heavy scent but still want to feel fresh. Very clean scent but poor longevity - it lasts all of 5 minutes on me quite literally. I own the edt, deodorant and soap. I absolutely love this fragrance. I love these types of fragrances - very classic. It reminds me of my grandmother! She loves Yardley. Great bedtime scent as well. This is not a pungent rose attar smell but more like a soft innocent rose scent - the type that still has morning dew on it.

DresdenDoll

Second review, for reformulated version (clear liquid). Top notes of neroli, rose absolute, chamomile, heart notes of rosebud and jasmine and base notes of sandalwood and amber.
Opens a pinch fresh and bitter, neroli making its entrance, and quickly settles into a smooth, pretty rose scent, soft, feminine, with woody ambery undertones for sure. It reminds me very much of Cerutti 1881, that same dreamy, relaxed scent, though with different accents of notes. Absolutely office or hospital safe, gentle, unobtrusive, like a scented soap without smelling soapy.
I actually love this version more than the older version with the pink liquid, which is dry and a tiny bit spicy, with a little bit more of a vintage flair to it. I like having both though, but be careful, as they're really not the same smell. Safe for rose lovers either way, but I would recommend the reformulated version to those unsure of rose.

oktober
oktober

Ohhhh I like this. I read on a topic here that it smells like yellow roses and I bought it blindly. It really does smell like yellow roses. I'm very thrilled about it.

It's the scent of yellow roses! Plain and simple. That's what I was looking for. And I'm happy it has good sillage and lasting power too, cause this kind of mono- frags tend to be very light. It's super.

pyji
pyji

Does anyone know where the old formulation can be bought from now (the pink liquid)? So sad. I accidentally bought the new bottle and it really is awful.

pavillionofroses
pavillionofroses

me parece que lo reformularon porque no se parece en nada al que probé hace mucho tiempo.... se ha vuelto artificial como sintético, una lástima

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

I really dislike this kind of rose, the kind that smells like an airfreshener for your bathroom. Unfotunately, most rose scents smells exactly like this... like a poutpurri gone bad.

Give me a sweet, powdery, spicy and honeyed rose!

truffles
truffles

Picked this up today as I had wanted to smell it and it was in TKMaxx for only £4.99 for 50ml.
Bit disappointed so far - think they should have left it as a pure rose and not messed with it. Kind of warm and powdery, no geranium evident, meh. Will try it again but will probably end up getting rid one way or another.
Update, 29/10/13: This has grown on me! Yes it's a very 'talcum powder' rose, but if I apply it, in the evening, after a nice bath using some inexpensive but lovely rose shower creme that I have, it is comforting and reminds me of childhood!

aura2424
aura2424

i would love to imagine myself in an english garden dressed in a morning gown while strolling arm in arm with my beau.i shade myself with a parasol as the heady fragrance of roses wafts around us . i really would .. i have the old pink juice from ages ago but every time i spritz it i get a strong cloying smell that does not get any better with time . i love floral fragrances but this one is my greatest disappointment .

Gabba
Gabba

Unfortunately - it's too soapy and too soft for me. I expected something like Tea Rose from Parfumeur's Workshop (firstly it is similar to that but after a while I'm forgetting about English Rose and smell only soap.

aleena sam
aleena sam

Very nice... I love it

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

This was an unlikely "like".
I was comparing this with Yardley's Red Roses EDT(strangely not listed).
This opens up spicy - a lot of spices sprinkled on top of a weak rose smell. Red Roses was more soothing and rosewater-like. I was about to run away, forget this for good but lo! Half hour later a rosewater scent appears, only stronger, slightly spicy and very green.

It costs S$10.70 here for the 125ml. That's like USD$8?
A good cheapie.

Longevity: 3-4 hours
Sillage: Moderate

Justine Song
Justine Song

i usually love rose fragrant, this one is a bit funny. it smells nice in a distance but I cant wear it myself, there is this deep spicy scent in it that reminds me of the cough syrup... Sorry Yardley

perfumistaloca
perfumistaloca

...soft, clean, i wear it after bath, keep you fresh. Nice for summer.

the cheeky brit
the cheeky brit

This works perfect for keeping my Borzoi from chewing on furniture ;D

debush
debush

I love the smell of Rose ...simple n lovely.
Perfect for spring and summer :)

krmarich
krmarich

I have a small bottle left from pre 2000. It is nothing short of pure fantasy from the English countryside. I always thought of it as a soliflore, yet it develops as some white flowers peek through. This works so well as a first perfume for girls! It is the perfect "before bed" spritz. It is so relaxing.

The rose is a cottage garden rose. There are plenty of other bigger roses out there. Innocent, fresh washed summer mornings come to mind. Its a pink, traditional English Rose. This is not Agent Provocateur.

Yardley is one of the oldest perfume house in business today. For an inexpensive classic, you cannot go wrong.

rubyred
rubyred

I agree with II that this is a thin scent. It's a shy but pipeingly sweet pink rose (for the 1st 1/2 hour) that settles to more green than rosy pink (maybe yes, geranium). Not a full blown red rose like Annick Goutal's Ce Soir Or Jamais, or Stella, and after a half an hour it gets soft and powdery, then just fades away in a green smell. I don't get, at all, that its a big old fashioned Bulgarian rose or a deep red rose in full bloom. To me, its a chaste high pitched sweet 16 yo girl rose. I like my roses to be a dripping top heavy Mr Lincoln or Souvenir De La Malmaison. Sweet yes while it lasts, lacks depth.

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

I was given a bottle of this years ago when I was getting ready to attend my first jr high school dance. I remember I loved it then but the scent is heavier than I like to wear now. Still nice memories though and it even today it makes a nice linen spray if you don't want to use it as a perfume.

my 2nd review for this now that i own it again. this is such true rose scent with a soapy dry down. i just love smelling this. its also a clean fragrance that is long-lasting. i'm very happy i have it back.
oh, and this is the original pink perfume. just lovely.

daliflora
daliflora

As a rose-fan, I've once purchased 2 bottles of English rose by Yardley. It had a strong rose smell in it, though rather sharp. Now I may find it again somehow in my bottle of Eternity Moment, although the Yardley was purer and more uplifing - yet the soapy smell is common to both, I'm afraid. I'm not sure that I would use Yardley Rose again.

Marianne, DK
Marianne, DK

This also goes for the "pink juice": The best rose I've had yet. Clean, fresh and easy to wear. Does anybody know, if the new bottle contains a reformulation with an altered fragrance as well?

I.I
I.I

I wanted very much to like this, I always appriciate old, historical brands.
In fact I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my nose, but roses in my country smell thick and sweet.
This is not a thick rose, in fact geranium note is quite intense.
It is a rather thin rose that has something of a geranium.
It wasn't what I expected it to be.
I find it suitable for young girls and for retro style women.
But I do believe they have to 'thicken' the smell.
ADD
It's not a surprise that it smells like the Elisabethan Rose anyway.

mystica
mystica

This is for the original version, the pink juice:

Yardley English Rose smells exactly like an English rose as the name suggests. It is quite a successful creation in its category (soliflores). Wearing it is like walking in a Victorian rose garden, very vintage, and very lady-like... The smell of English roses can be quite overwhelming however. I mean when I wear it I feel like I am smelling like a rose garden, or a vase of roses. This point reduces the actual wearability of the scent, but nevertheless Yardley's English Rose stays quite a distinctive fragrance.

Kiku
Kiku

What a rose! Not a polite, delicate little rose. A full blown aggressive one. This is an old fashioned "big" rose scent. Although several notes are listed all I smell is rose: clean, clear, and sweet as if just plucked from a summer garden. Classic, the only rose perfume you'll ever need.

DresdenDoll

I bought this blind, knowing I like rose, to wear as a daily scent as an alternative to wearing my more expensive Jo Malone and what a good buy it was. Such a pure rose perfume, it's amazing. The dry geranium scent is there at the beginning but fades fast into a musky garden rose. I would call this a soliflore really. It seems quite strong when you first spray it, but isn't overpowering on. Just simple and pretty. I'm really very happy with it, especially at 12 euro for 125ml.

Lassie
Lassie

Heavy red red rose smell. I can't say it's 'fake' at all, but I prefer a different, lighter, zestier rose. Like Un Zest de Rose, which is the very essence of spring. This one, frankly, makes my eyes water, it's very strong! (oddly, it blends well with patchouli, the two combine into something interesting!)

LunaPearl
LunaPearl

Yardley is a ubiquitous perfume brand in Chemists and is often overlooked due to lack of publicity and it's rather cheap price.

But oh god, English Rose has to be one of the most authentic rose scents I've ever experienced.

There are many expensive, upmarket rose-based designer scents that smell rather synthetic, but English Rose manages to incorporate true rose notes at an affordable price. It lasts suprisingly long lasting as well, considering it's only an Eau de Toilette.

Miss Guerlain, you are SOOOOO right!! I also think it has a great similarity with Jean Patou Joy, which I love very much too. But it is just what you are saying, are you willing to pay the price for niche or Joy, if you can have it all when you buy this masterpiece for only a fraction of the price?

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Oh niches... Sometimes very overrated & hyped. "Rose Poivree" by The Different Company smells very much like YARDLEY "English Rose".

Only Yardley's rose is sharper. Not 100% identical, but yet still "almost like this". A big old-fashioned classic Bulgarian rose. A deep red rose in full bloom. Sparklingly vibrant, & with an fantastic strength, sillage & staying-power. The old-fashioned rose from the 1800-century. Note: Remeber to use it with a very light hand. A bottle of Yardley's rose will last you ages.

YARDLEY "English Rose" is $10-15 for 125ml edt. "Rose Poivree" is $233 for 90ml. Well, the choice is yours to make - which one will you choose? ;)

lovely clean rose scent. a calming gem.

Red Rose
Red Rose

Everytime I smell this I remember good old days of my mother. It smells like freshly picked pink roses. It's very fresh, clean & airy. Nothing synthetic about it IMHO.

seatonica
seatonica

krmarich said it all - Yardley English Rose is my go to clean, fresh and comforting fragrance. Uplifting and perfect for Australian summers.

English Rose by Yardley 3.70 out of 5 based on 136 ratings and 35 user reviews

Boots.com
10.87 GBP
Yardley London English Rose Eau de Toilette 125ml
Yardley London English Rose Eau de Toilette 125ml
English Rose Yardley Perfume by Yardley London, 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Perfume.com
Yardley English Rose Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Yardley English Rose Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
YARDLEY for WOMEN by Yardley ENGLISH ROSE EDT SPRAY 4.2 OZ
YARDLEY for WOMEN by Yardley ENGLISH ROSE EDT SPRAY 4.2 OZ
English Rose Yardley Perfume by Yardley London, 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Perfume.com
English Rose Yardley Perfume by Yardley London - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
English Rose Yardley Perfume by Yardley London - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yardley English Rose fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yardley English Rose, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify English Rose by Yardley. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of English Rose by Yardley represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.