Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

I have it: 1888 I had it: 979 I want it: 1705 My signature: 54

Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Videos
Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Cinema Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Cinema can make every woman feel like a star. It is a fragrance for glamorous women who live under the spotlights, self-confident and elegant, women who know how to draw the attention. A seductive flavor reminds of Hollywood beauties from the romantic love movies, glamourous evening gowns, Hollywood hairstyles, high heels, black seamed stockings…

The top note is delicate and softly fresh (clementine, almond blossom and cyclamen). The heart reveals jasmine, peony and amaryllis. The drydown is warm, opulent, and balsamic with amber, musk and sweet powdery vanilla. The fragrance was created by Jacques Cavallier.

See the YSL Cinema video ad.

Cinema was launched in 2004.

Clementine Cyclamen Almond Blossom

Yvresse (Champagne)

Cinema Fragrance Reviews

ellina1984
ellina1984

A lot of jasmine in the opening. Very floral - think of a cross between the jasmine in Alien and the one in Armani Code, with a touch of almond. After a while it becomes mellower, and I can also smell vanilla and peach (no peach in the pyramid though). The vanilla tones down the jasmine beast, but still, the scent is jasmine dominated throughout. Not for jasmine haters.

Overall, it's feminine and elegant. I'd call this a floral if I hadn't seen it classified as oriental floral.

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

Juicy clementines bursting and sparkling. Warm vanilla sweetens this even more. Almond flower gives it a nutty floral nuance. It's really addicting and I am surprised I like this because I'm not a citrus lover, at all, but this is so deliciously delightful and I'm also thrilled to smell anything with almond flower. this smells like a popular woman that everyone likes and wants to be friends with. Although I personally prefer more scandalous fragrances, I can't say no to this. Easy to wear, elegant but not over the top fragrance.

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

They don't make them like this anymore! YSL used to have some really compelling scents pre L'Oreal like this and Nu, and so many in the 90s. This is for someone sophisticated. A beautiful ambery vanilla. I will treasure my bottle forever.

LicoriceAllSorts

My second review on this one as i feel my first review is not how I feel now.
Im writing this on the day I post it away as a swap, Sadness filled my heart to see it go to be honest, I have developed a appreciation to this juice, I really like it now actually, I feel my demand for balsamic power house scents and a huge sugar rush, it had drawn me away from seeing the true beauty in this, I could smell some similarity to Cinema & Classique Jean Paul Gaultier for women, I feel Cinema is a classy scent that I miss understood.
Goodbye my lovely I will miss you. x

Mattysmum
Mattysmum

This is a warm sultry vanilla and amber skin scent for the sophisticated lady. Brash Alien Essence Absolou lovers stay away!!... This is far too classy!

Dara813
Dara813

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. Some days, it smells like a beautiful floral vanilla on me and other days, it smells like root beer and almonds. The drydown always comes through as a beautiful creamy almond vanilla milk but sometimes I just can't stand the first hour with that sweet synthetic note. So many people feel this is a better rendition of vanilla by YSL than their more recent frag Manifesto, but I totally disagree. I find Manifesto to be far more wearable and it has a vanilla note I've never smelled before. This one, has been done time and time again.

green_green_eyes
green_green_eyes

Cinema has a special place in my heart. Whenever I use it I feel like wearing girly, floral dress and my black leather jacket, pretend to be a rock-chick ;) Silly as it sounds, I think it reflects how full of contrasts Cinema is.

It starts with strong blast of orange blossom and clementine peel (!) and then softens to delightful honey- vanilla scent. VERY feminine without being vulgar. Great for autumn, for going out to the pub, walk in the park on chilly October afternoon... am I getting carried away? That's how Cinema makes me feel: dreamy, carefree, feminine and... happy!

It stays on my skin for up to 14h, few days on clothes and sheets (have I mentioned it's also amazing "go to bed" scent?).

iow-pam
iow-pam

After a long weekend in London with the weather beautifully warm, I have returned home and it just hasn't stopped raining!
I needed cheering up and Cinema is just the thing. It is my winter scent, and although temperatures are still good, I need an uplift.
Sillage and longevity is brilliant on my skin and I have to be careful applying this beauty. One or two spritz are sufficient if I don't want to upset the other passengers on the bus into town (as I may have done the other day when I overloaded with Lancome's Miracle!!)
A lovely citrusy opening, but it is the floral/vanilla that lasts and really makes this so appealing to me.

lonn3k3
lonn3k3

This one was a blind buy for me. After reading many positive reviews about it, i just went and bought it without thinking too much. Of course i tested it but you can't really tell if a perfume suits you if you don't wear it more than once and after a few hours.
Unfortunately, it wasn't the best decision, it is a perfume that doesn't suit me, i think it's more appropiate for a woman aged >35.
I've been told i smell good when wearing it but it doesn't make me feel nor sexy nor glamourous nor fresh, there's nothing special about it.
I wouldn't recommend it and would not buy it again.

LicoriceAllSorts

In my honest, humble opinion, its not to bad, not great on my skin, I tend to go for a much stronger scent like LouLou and Ciara but I can see why some love this for sure. For the price I was expecting something better to be honest.

Update a month latter: This perfume was my teacher, She taught me not to judge something you not understand, I feel she is the sort that needs time spent with her, she is not a 'Wham Bam' in your face Gal, she is a sneak up behind you and so lovingly wraps her self around you type Gal that take time to get to know.

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

The best "luxurious citrus-scent" found!!!!
I bought Trussardi Donna (2011) by blind and by good reviews. A Big mistake.
It is sour-like citrus, doesn't have any Bling-factor in it. And I started to feel like an old lady when wearing it.
Cinema is also a blind-buy. The much better one!
Sweet, fresh citrus and vanilla and white flowers.
Finally I got my own Luxury-scent!!

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I swapped with someone for Cinema, I had never smelled it but liked the description. I am really happy with the way it work son me, it reminds me of both Sensi(almond-vanilla powdery) and Elizabeth Arden Green Tea(citrus and tea). I see someone said they smell tobacco, I personally interpret that green scent as tea or tea leaves. Its not a smoky scent at all like Shalimar. I do get floral but Im not sure which one, it doesnt smell like Jasmine to me . Over all I think its a great perfume for a woman who likes to smell classy and refined. Its sensual without being too cloying, in fact the only thing I wish were different is it doesn't project quite as much and last as long as Id like.

lala-jaenner
lala-jaenner

I tried this perfume many times and had always been put off by the first citrus notes.
If you give it time it developes in a floral, sweet, tender scent that makes you smile.
At the same time it also manages to be sexy. Not the boring kind of sexy, where nothing is left to imagination (like JPG Classique).
This is the French girl sexy: a natural kind of sexy, a woman who's like she were 21 forever, with only your shirt on and uncombed hair.
I so totally agree with Kysyona: this is a scent which will make all the alpha males both drool for you and want to hug you.

The only thing that makes me shake my head is the musk, because it was so everywhere in the last 15 years that it makes me think no, not you again everytime.

JaiTee
JaiTee

Cinema is vivacious, charming, uplifting. I love her personality and am happy she is part of my fragrance family.

This scent has a pretty, fruity open, with some depth provided by the low amber and vanilla notes. Something about the fruit & lower notes combo makes me think of Sophia Grosjman's or Dominique Ropion's style.

Strong stuff, too -- my skin chemistry really amplifies this one, so it's best sprayed lower on the body, and only one spritz if heading to work.

nebbe
nebbe

I have had my eye on Cinema for almost a year now, and since I could not locate a sample, I went in for the blind buy. Unfortunately, it is not an immediate like for me.

So, obviously, I haven't given this much of a chance, so please do take this with a grain or two of salt, but I am disappointed.

To me this smells like a combination of Dior Addict and Diptyque Volutes [update - and Alien? Is it the jasmine?] - but not successful for my sensibilities. Unfortunately this love child is not a match for me.

I'll definitely revisit later on this fall and winter, and if my experience changes I will certainly update! I hope it does :)

UPDATE 11.18.2014: Revisited, no change. Not for me. Sad face. Love the bottle.

I was expecting to fall madly for this fragrance as I remember smelling it several years ago on a girl I was seeing and thought it was nice.
Quick word on the packaging and presentation, I found them to be particularly inviting, The bottle looks great really classy.
Tried it the otherday and liked it, very pleasant fresh citrus opening then delicate florals not over sweet peony and jasmine. The base is a warm vanilla/almond which is evident throughout but dries down very nicely.
Nothing unpleasant here and as a man I don't have much credibility when commenting on 'feminine' perfumes but I just found this a little average. I suspect that was only due to the fact my expectations were so high.
It's an interesting and understated scent which is warm and pleasant and in actual fact I could probably pull off wearing it.
I saw that it was in the sale but still wasn't reasonably priced enough for me to buy it even for my girlfriend who was of the same opinion as me...that cinema is nothing special, though it's very wearable, good quality and lasts well.

beatrix75

The dry down IT-säkerheten amazing!!!!!

Antares811
Antares811

This scent is amazing, it's feminine, sweet, powerful and classy. A beautiful amber/vanilla fragrance with almonds and wonderful flowers and a hint of citrus in the opening.
Creamy and warm, it lasts for hours.
I used to wear this a few years ago, now I'm in love with it again. I get lots of compliments when I wear this beautiful and sophisticated scent.
You must spray with very light hand if you want to appreciate this beauty. Too much can be cloying.
Gorgeous. One of the best female scents around. Cinema is a perfect signature.

auroramaria
auroramaria

Great fragrance and brilliant name!
This is a gorgeous scent it really makes me think of Hollywood glamour. So rich and warm it's perfect for a night out in winter. Anyway I use it during the day it's too beautiful to wait for the night.
It opens with clementine and almond blossoms but it's vanilla and amber who play the main carachters here.
It gets rather sweet and syrupy can get a bit cloying if oversprayed or worn in hot climate.
Anyway for me a classic show stopper,glamorous and lush.
Longevity is excellent and sillage is just perfect.
A must for sweet and elegant perfumes'lovers

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

It is my favourite of YSL . A Cheeky, sparkly, bright summery clementine , a magical, enchanted, blossoming spring bouquet, a neutering, seductive, intoxicating, elegant vanilla , benzoin and amber adding luxe and depth . Very stylish fragrance, with subtlety, well for YSL !

graceadlerk
graceadlerk

This is a beautiful fragrance in the bottle, too bad it does not mix well with my chemistry and ends up smelling like a really cheap knock off. I cannot wear it. I'll have to sell it on ebay.

alassouli
alassouli

I am reviewing EDP

Ohhhh Gosh! I can see why a lot of you guys are hating on this piece of heaven (not many people can appreciate the beauty ) I just have one word for this product "Ahhhhhhhh-mazing" . It was my birthday two days ago and I got this beautiful perfume as a gift from my husband. It is very long lasting.... Finally, I can have a better/cheaper alternative to my signature perfume Folklory pink by Rasasi . (You can check my review on this perfume by clicking my profile)

I tell you guys that if you all for long lasting and strong perfumes that have beautiful notes of vanilla, Almond, and Amber then go for it. You wont regret it.

bashak
bashak

I love warm scents. It feels like sweet smell of moms chest and hair.
I love Cinema's crispy oppening, delicious, sophisticated heart and adore warm and calm dry down. Must be my precious, must be my signature.
Edit: i received my Cinema today. Thanks god it suited my skin perfectly. I'm soo happy:)

chrisndema
chrisndema

I want to like this fragrance as i just purchased a 90ml bottle but something about it doesn't sit right with me. When i first tried it on i liked the bright citrus on initial spray. Now all i get is this brash cloying smell that just won't go all the way into my nostrils. Cinema you let me down on opening night.

Actually fellow fragrantican Meret. I share the same sentiments as your review. I'm going to work on this one.

lilytrivette
lilytrivette

Beautiful sensual scent!!!! I am very picky on my choice of fragrance. I love that rich spicy type that last on your skin for hours. I am impressed with Cinema and it has become a favorite of mine.... best to use in the fall/winter. This fragrance simply projects a quite confidence and says I AM VERY FEMININE. You will get hooked on this fragrance.

blueviolet

Love the opening. Hate the drydown. Simply cos I cannot stand strong amber notes. Shame, the first stages are lovely.

Pusteblumchen
Pusteblumchen

Finally!

I've the most gorgeous fragrance of the last two years. Cinema is wonderful. I have the 30ml bottle in my bag because I simply am addicted. After about four hours or so I need to surround myself into this scented cloud of marvelous smells that pushes all my mood up.

That's it. It's a push up mood fragrance. I spray it and I turn automatically happier!

If you're in doubt just buy it, you won't regret it!

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

The dry down of this perfume is love so sweet so feminine so vanilla... When i first spray it the only think that i take was mandarin... but the dry down is a surpise !

UPDATE:

After using this i find it sooooo sweet and orange for my standars... I guess its not for me... My sister is loving it so i gave it yo her..

InfirmièreParfumée
InfirmièreParfumée

Oh wow ! Who knew such a classic fragrance will be a great find for my picky nose ?

Today I got my first ever bottle and sniff of Cinema by YSL and 4 hours after, I still couldn't stop smelling myself ! The fragrance is addicting ! Initially, I told myself that it is not overpowering as I thought it was going to be. It is such a lovely fragrance. Classy, musky, something like Jean Paul Gaultier-ish almost.

Yes, yes, if I was to say, Cinema reminds me of Jean-Paul Gaultier's Madame Eau de Parfum, but less intense.

I can see myself wearing cinema to dinner, to the theater...movies...

It's a lovely fragrance more suited to the young adult to adult wearer. Day in and day out.

Emz.NZ
Emz.NZ

I tried this the other day for it kept coming up as a possible new likes. It came across quite loud at first but quickly settled to a warm vanilla and almond scent, which I found quite pleasant. To my nose that is all I could smell for the whole afternoon...vanilla and almonds. By the end of the day thou the bourbon vanilla became prominent an did not sit well with my chemistry. What a shame for I had been loving it up until this point.

ceecee474
ceecee474

This is one of my favorite scents...and today I accidentally got a drop of my all-time favorite scent, l'heure blues on my right hand and had Cinema on my left. They smell a lot alike to me! The Guerlain is darker, but so close to my nose. Oh well, love them both!

Mnekb
Mnekb

I like the dry down of Cinema. It feels like wearing a cashmere sweater. It's very warm, cozy and comforting but the opening gives me a terrible headache because of the sour note. I wish clementine note wasn't dominant. Luckily, I can feel it only in openings.

Great for winter. It has a great lasting power. I was wearing it in this winter and although it's summer now, i can still smell it on my coat.

I wish bottle would be different. I have the 90 ml and i can't carry it in my bag. It looks so big, cheap and yellow!

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

EDIT - Septemer 6, 2014
It's a keeper! Despite my somewhat negative, mixed review below, as many as I own and have tried since, Cinema will stay with me. Her classic style cannot go wrong. Sometimes too sweet, sometimes too dry. The problem is me. Too dry? I spritz some killer apricot or something on top. Too sweet? Knock it down a notch with citrus-spicy. I DO love this "whore" and go back for more. She mesmerizes me in a strange way and her charms seduce me. She IS stunning in the way she ONLY can be. So I'm fickle. Forgive me. :) *Kisses Cinema. You so fine, you so fine, Go Sinma, Go Sinma, woop woop!* First review below.

Well? There is perfume and there is perfume-y. Even when sprayed with the lightest hand Cinema screams "I'M HERE LOOK AT ME!!!". The problem with that is no one can see me as all they can do is smell me. It is a soft scent yet brash, loud, in-your-face. That is what I call perfume-y which unfortunately gives Cinema a cheapened element to me. She is the best smelling, prettiest whore on the corner, but after passing her you cannot get the smell out of your nose, clothes... or head, for a week. That does not mean I stop driving by to check her out. She is fascinating.

Blind buy received today with much awaited high anticipation, and .... of course I bought the largest bottle as I adore vanilla orientals and they usually adore me. I thought Hanae Mori was the sweetest scent I ever smelled but grew to love it fast. The sweetness of HM has nothing on this bottle of powdered syrup, and judging by reviewer's intensity of ingredients above, I expected more vanilla though this is categorized as floral oriental. I am unsure Cinema is even that. To me, it smells more like a slightly powdery yellow floral with a hint of vanilla. I detect no clementine or much almond at all. There is an overused word for annoyingly, sickly sweet on here called "cloying". Cinema is sometimes cloying in a way which can induce anxiety in me and want to get away from it as fast as I can.

I love sweet tea, sweet flowers and big, juicy smells, but Cinema has me perplexed for now. It has all the ingredients I love and it's doing nothing for me. I detect syrup, sweet amber, vanilla, syrup, syrup and more syrup and that's about it mixed with a lot of powder. Sometimes too sweet, sometimes too powdery-dry (damn, I'm moody). The powder reminds me of face powder I once used; Coty Airspun, which is definitely reminiscent of old style glam and I love that smell. Cinema is luxurious, elegant, expensive and smells that way, but I am so sad right now it is just not grabbing me in the "love" way I had so coveted. Too perfume-y. I prefer perfume.

Today was horribly hot, and maybe not a good day to test it as I found it suffocating and steered clear of my husband while I waited it out. It hasn't gotten any better for me yet and I am disappointed with probable diabetes, a toothache, and a dessert is the last thing I want. Cinema is SO sweet it could be a weight loss supplement. Oh, I am sad right now. Maybe I can offset it with something a bit drier, add a little .... something, but for the price I am hoping to love it as is. I like it okay. It does not "wow" me in ANY way and I want to LOVE it, dammit! *sigh* Smells rich but rather common. Very pretty but not stunningly beautiful... I need it to be stunning and to me, Cinema is not that.

goldiloks

Makes me smell like the most exquisitely glamorous citronella candle!

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

I'm absolutely in love with this perfume, it's one of the few fragrances that I decided I needed to have in the largest size bottle. Since I've picked this up, it's all I've been wanting to reach for! And I rarely wear the same fragrance multiple days in a row.

Cinema is simply "soft luxury". It's refined, ladylike, classy, and doesn't create a fume cloud that follows you around screaming PERFUME!! PERFUME!! Instead, you get little whiffs of it throughout the day. It's effervescent & golden, cheery, uplifting, and bright enough to wear in warm weather - but cozy enough for the wintertime as well.

The scent is composed of well-blended notes of vanilla & amber, with a hint of citrus behind it. The warm, bubbly, elegant citrus - nothing sharp or screechy or childish. There is enough of a floral aspect to round out the scent, but when I think of this perfume, I don't think of florals as the highlight of it.

Wear-time: Strong for about an hour, closer to the skin for 3-4 hours, I wish it had a little more longevity!

I want to always have this fragrance in my collection. Rumor is, it's being discontinued and in some cases (my case) discounted in many places. Time to stock up!

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

There's a little bit of citrus in the opening, and a lot of almond blossom and vanilla. It's very pleasant and likable. I can see why so many people (including celebrities) love this. I don't know if it's a full-on love for me yet, but it definitely has potential and merits a few more testings. I love makeup powder scents. This has a grown-up feel but is versatile enough for a dressy or casual occasion, and could be used for either day or night. The sillage seems to be a bit lacking though, and it has just a touch too much orange in it for my personal use too. However, it's still a classic, and you should definitely give it a try if you get the chance!

vanillary29
vanillary29

Cinema open up bright and citrusy and then settles down to a bittersweet, warm base of vanilla, almond blossom and tobacco (not listed). It is definitely glamorous and ladylike but it has a sensual, mysterious aura to it. It is billowy, comforting and yet poised and elegant. It brings to my mind Classique Eau de toilette by Jean Paul Gaultier. they do not smell similar but both have a similar feminine, rich aura.

Hi all!
Question, I really like this one, but I have also found baiser de cinema online. Has anyone got any experience of both and can tell me the difference? Im not sure which one to get, and there are no testers aviable anywhere for the baiser one.
Thanks!

Velvet_Touch

This one reminds me of one of my mum's friend that was always pinned up, very chic and I dare to say, sexy. I haven't purchased it so far, but it's on my list for future purchases. Its sweetness and almond biterness makes it easy to identify but hard to reproduce... Unique and glamorous!

archivist
archivist

This is incredibly, incredibly sweet. I have a high tolerance and fair appetite for gourmands, and sweet almonds in particular. This is probably too sweet for me. I was expecting it to be lightened up by citrus, but it is so heavy and smothering instead of cozy and fluffy. I wish it was airier. I love almond scents. I'm wondering if I can cut it with something, like the fast-dissipating Escale a Portofino, which is almond but goes too fast.

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

Cinema is a gem! When you're all done up with the perfect hair style and your make-up is just right, you want a glamorous finish to your look and Cinema will definitely take you there! Something about this perfume feels so indulgent and sexy. I think it's the combination of the citrus and vanilla that makes you feel red carpet ready! Lol...Hey why not?

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

It's funny how you come across perfumes sometimes. I first smelled this a week ago when my sister brought it to me sprayed on her scarf, asking me if I like it. I smelled it and I was mystified. It's not something my usually very pure gourmande-loving nose goes for, but my attention was captured. I ended up ordering a 50mL bottle the same day.

This morning I wore it for the first time and I was blown away. Never have I felt so elegant and... grown up! An odd thing to be saying at my age, but for some reason, this perfume really made me confident and feel very feminine in an empowering way. I've never experienced that with a perfume before. Ever.

The bottle looks unique and stylish. A few people here said they hate it, and that suprised me, but each to his/her own. I like the design (especially the tiny engraved letters of the brand that run vertically down the bottle) and it's quite practical (unlike some other conceptually attractive but impractical bottles like KK Pure Honey).

The perfume itself smells like an oriental vanilla on me. I'm not sure why it's not classified as such on this site. I didn't find anything unpleasant about the perfume at any stage. Perhaps this is because I only sprayed it on one wrist and dabbed the wrist on my other pulse points, thus using it with a gentle hand. Sillage is moderate to heavy, and the lasting power on me is at least 13 hours. The most prominent notes on me are vanilla, musk, citrus, and almond. The top notes are a creamy vanilla with well complementing floral and musk notes, the middle notes more an almondy amber, and the drydown is a delicious vanilla laced with some slight musk.

I now don't believe I knew what 'signature perfume' really meant before I came across this perfume. I'm so happy I own a bottle of this beautiful concoction!

Alley - D
Alley - D

OOOOHHHHHH what can I say about Cinema that hasn't been said before???? This is so dear to my heart - second to my husband, it is the love of my life!!!

I wore it to my wedding 4 years ago, and every time I smell it to this day, I have a smile from ear to ear. I sprayed a decent dose before I got dressed on my big day and that was it..... It lasted well into the night and the next morning.

I live in a hot climate in Australia - so my only comment is to go light as it's power is so strong if you put too much on - the dry down doesn't really change from the first spray (at least on my skin).

Cinema has an amazing buttery, oily smell and feel - whilst good for any time of the year it does two things to me:

1) Curl up next to fire, drinking hot chocolate and listen to cool tunes
2) Walk the town so everyone can smell how great I am.......

Evanescent
Evanescent

My favortie <3

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This was nearly great. Some lovely florals, almond softness, and a strong retro style to it. It is a perfume with a wham! statement. I was keen... However, I found the dry down disappointing, with a sour, overripe and slightly fermented fruit odour spoiling the fragrance for me - I felt it smelt of cheap alcohol once the powerful opening faded away. I didn't really want to admit it for a long time, as there was a lot about the opening that I loved, but after several wears I have drawn a line under Cinema and I now get my retro kicks from Guerlain.

foxy_princess
foxy_princess

Absolutely gorgeous, and a fragrance that morphs a lot! Sniffed on the skin: LOTS of vanilla, benzoin and almond blossom, I smell a little cardamom too even if it's not listed, when it hits the air I smell orange, jasmine and vanilla floating about the room! When about 3-4 hours pass, you're rewarded with luscious nutty amber, close to the skin.
And most importantly, it smells yummy without being candy like or kiddish, I'm a bit sick of caramel candy scents if I'm honest, getting bored of scents like JS Fancy, and getting more into fragrances like this. mmmmm!

Blondine28
Blondine28

Timeless. Not a teen smell, for women above 25 and really classy. Resembles Trouble by Boucheron and Dior Addict, yet so much better.

Sheks
Sheks

I didn't like this fragrance at first spray but after wearing it for a couple of hours, the dry down is spectacular and very chic.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

Cinema opens for me with an aggressive citrus-y floral. The almond blossom and cyclamen are soapy and maybe a bit aldehyde-y. I can see why this could immediately lose some fans. Lucky for me in this particular case I am the mighty jack frost, and the fragrance doesn't necessarily blow up in my face like some others experience. It's smell like a bit of a yucky citrus floral and waits patiently on my skin for half an hour to warm up, not projecting much.
30 minutes into wear I can smell the entire fragrance including that golden vanilla base with the almost like caramel benzoin. The florals in the middle are less soapy and a little more sweet with the base playing into them.
Overall I love this fragrance, it works out on me really well. I can appreciate why some find it challenging, I had the chill working in my favor this time.

Velvet_Touch

Very sensual perfume, luxurious and attractive. It is classy, I love the almond and amber notes! I would recommend it more for evening wear!

nadia.pete1428
nadia.pete1428

i love it!!

CaledonianChic77
CaledonianChic77

Gracing the red carpet tonight is the gorgeous, elegant ambery gourmand vanilla fragrance Cinema. I tried Cinema well over a decade now but with the citrus clementine on the first spray was just so strong & sadly didn't appeal to me plus i had a immature nose back then. Now many years down the line i am back to give Cinema a second chance plus i feel i owe Cinema a huge apology for being quick to dismiss this heart warming scent & have the patience now to let it settle more on my wrist, so glad i did. The almond blossom, vanilla, musky dry down is very cosy, warm & on my skin it blends so well. Cinema is very sexy even luxurious well crafted creaminess with superb sillage even though a lot of people recommend it for winter i am quite happy wearing it any time. I can say also it's not overly sweet the citrus keeps it fresh with the added spice in the mix & i just can't get enough of that heavenly yummy vanilla dry down well what can i say i ♥ it to bits. In my eyes Cinema truly deserves a Towering Golden Bafta!.

sophia*rose
sophia*rose

This is one of my favorites. Very pleasant citrus opening, followed by a velvety almond-vanilla texture.

The jasmine, amaryllis and cyclamen blend together very well, almost a little too well... sometimes I wish one of the floral notes was more prominent. But then on the other hand, the mystique and beauty of scents can vanish when they are too "clear" and easy to pin down. Simplicity vs. complexity? Perhaps a matter of taste and mood.

The almond lingers quite a while, eventually fading into the musk and amber.

It's very elegant and alluring, not a bold scent. That makes it very wearable, so I use it very frequently.

Definitely give it a try. x

Musky4
Musky4

I wasn't keen on the opening at all, but the dry down is a lovely, slightly spicy, warm vanilla. However, I felt that this has a bit of an old-fashioned feel and there are vanilla-based perfumes that in my opinion are more interesting. Cinema lacks mystery and sex appeal, but is nevertheless very feminine.

GMK
GMK

This is so beautiful , A very beautiful and elegant lady with some kinda x-factor comes in mind whenever I sniff it.

sweet but not cloying with a hint of almonds prevailed by musk. just awesum.

KateAnette
KateAnette

Cinema is the perfect mix of fresh, clean, slightly sweet and warm. Nothing too much, nothing lacking. Long lasting with a pretty good sillage, a couple of sprays and you're good for the day. It's a long time since I've smelled a perfume that made me go "wow, this is beautiful !"
Some reviews say they get a lot of jasmin, and an Alien vibe. I can't stand Alien, I have absolutely no idea what they're talking about :D

ira.singhal
ira.singhal

I used to generally only go in for strong florals but recently started branching a bit and this is one of the perfumes that makes me glad I did! In fact, it was a blind online buy for me based on the other reviews here! It's absolutely GORGEOUS! Sophisticated, elegant, classy and very feminine in a lady-like manner. It's on the strong side and can be whiffed some distance away. Whenever I have it on, I can't stop smelling it. Though I must say, it's not something I would wear daily but that's mainly cause my first love is strong florals. On the whole, I would totally recommend it and am really glad I got it (thanks to all the other reviewers before me!)

Lily2911
Lily2911

This is such a shining, luminous and elegant perfume. The mandarin opening does not last long, it is followed with a very rich mimosa-jasmin- cyclamen heart which provides an intrigueing harmony between sweet, creamy and fresh sparkling dimension. It is so sad that ysl discontinued this beautiful fragrance, probably in favour of more popular hits like Manifesto, which is for me just bleeh mmweeuh scent. I think they were a bit too early with launching this kind of perfume, maybe not the right marketing campaign because such florientals are still popular. And yes i agree with pravda 48 reviewer, it reminds me to the alien absolue version because of the jasmin, vanilla amber combo which is similar but Cinema is much more restrained, more a skin lingering scent. And the honey, gold character is also copied in the actual Boucheron Place Vendome. So this classic master piece has been followed up by so many other recent fragrances and that is why Cinema will always keep a special place in my collection : a beauty queen who retreats but continue to inspire so many new ones to conquer the perfumista world.....

Amber147
Amber147

I'm a signature scent person, and that scent used to be Allure. However, as I head toward 40, the citrus in it didn't seem to fit me anymore. I was basically looking for Allure without the citrus and with a warmer drydown.

Not able to find it in any stores in my area in order to test it, I bought Cinema based on the info here. It's even better than I expected. The initial blast is a little overwhelming. However, after about 2 minutes, it's perfect: hints of white flower and vanilla with warm amber - all with a little balsam to keep it from being too heavy.

It's a confident scent: sophisticated and warm. It doesn't TRY to impress; it just does.

Orshi
Orshi

It's strange how someone's taste can change within a relatively short time..Two years ago I tested this perfume in a shop and I didn't like it, crossed out from my list and forgot about it. Today I found it again (in the same shop on Oxford Street/London :P) and I tried it. It's heavenly! Gorgeous, warm, it gives me a lovely feeling and that's what I love about perfumes, when they have the power to transform your mood. Not many can do this in my opinion. I don't know what I was thinking 2 years ago, this is an exceptional scent.

lauren.gonzalez.963
lauren.gonzalez.963

This is so very warm, sweet and spicy. It reminds me very much of the taste of sweet tea if it was converted into a smell. On my skin it also turns into a sort of jasmine note, so I can see why this is a fave or at least a strong like with many people. Its a like for me, but I unfortunately am not a jasmine person. Id say its a pretty safe blind buy for most people as the longevity is pretty great, and most people love jasmine.......just not me. -____-

jlfears
jlfears

It's strong at first, and I'm not in love with the initial blast, but wait.

I get clementine (which turns to sweet pineapple on my girlfriend when she wears Cinema), almond blossom, and cyclamen. I can't believe I actually get every single top note listed!

I get ZERO jasmine.

I get a hint of vanilla in the drydown, with some spice (clove? nutmeg? my imagination?) and a load of warm amber. Thank goodness, for me, the amber doesn't hold court for too long.

The aftersniff is the best, as is true with vintage Il Bacio. The trail this leaves is just *heaven* and your clothes will smell ethereal for weeks... if you take a good sniff.

MandiPants85
MandiPants85

This perfume speaks of muted elegance. It's what moms wear and I am so I like it.It has a unique balsamic quality to it that smells extremely pleasant. It does open floral/citrus but the dry down is very much worth the wait.

stitchywitch

Wow - this one has a lot of variance in reviews! On me, the opening accord of Cinema is entirely white flowers. It's pretty, but a bit generic. I don't get any citrus at all. After a few hours I finally get the vanilla and the flowers disappear entirely. I like it well enough, but probably not enough to repurchase.

donimili
donimili

Cinema is wonderful, very classy smell, very classy bottle. It is warm, not overpowering or loud but very gentle and subtle. It is for any occasion, if you want to feel like a lady , i think. And if you find that it is to strong, maybe you are spraying it too much. Also, it may be that I killed my sense of smell sniffing it too much, but I don't think so :D

Hd82
Hd82

Absolute love! I've been testing this for almost a year at fragrance counters and I finally caved in and purchased. It's a fresh citrusy vanilla that's appropriate for both day and evening, as well as all seasons! Really incredible perfume.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

When I was 11 or 12 and indiscriminately loved anything that invoked Hollywood and favored vanilla over any other scent, I would have adored this. Now I just think it's nice - Probably because it smells like other vanillas I've had before.

To me, this is a scent for a night out. But it's not overpowering so the right kind of person could probably pull it off during the day. It's glamorous but friendly and inviting. On me it warms up to basically a musky, sweet vanilla. It's very pleasant, but traditional and nothing I'd be excited to run out and buy. It's not very distinctive and I'm not sure I'd recognize it if I were to smell it on anyone else.

But if you're looking for a solid, warm vanilla I'd give this a shot. Not all of us are experiencing vanilla fatigue... thankfully!

Edit 8/23/14: This has definitely grown on me. There are a lot of vanillas out there: some sweeter, some more grown up, some more complex, some more distinctive... but there are few more thoroughly satisfying.

Chicagobelle
Chicagobelle

This is definitely a "Wait for it" scent on me. This is a lovely perfume. A bit boring in the beginning, however it lingers into a pleasant and beautiful scent that is so romantic and inviting. This is a pretty elegant perfume.

pravda48
pravda48

Am I the only one who gets almost an identical drydown to Mugler's Alien from this?

It smells literally almost exactly like the powdery/warm amber, jasmine, and woodsy notes of Alien on me. Fascinating, but I'm not a fan of powdery amber type smells.

Or maybe I have different chemistry than everyone else who has reviewed here ;)

Isamy21
Isamy21

Just love it!

dkny27
dkny27

At first sniff, I was expecting so much more based on the reviews... That was "at first sniff"...

After a few moments, the notes blossom beautifully. There is a warm flower escorted by a wash of vanilla almond and amber. There is also a tiny pop of citrus but if you didn't look at the notes, you could mistake it for a fresh highlight.

I must say, the scent feels a bit familiar to another but I can't place it. Cinema is a classic and remains on the skin for quite a while which gets prettier as time goes on. Womanly, whether flirtatious or professional... Bellissimo!

LieneHelena
LieneHelena

It takes you from a one in a million kind of girl to one in a lifetime kind of Woman... Warm, mysterious and unique, this incandescent light simply radiates from you, you own the central stage in a show called Life. I love that it is not worn by many. Simply beautiful, what else can I say.

Hsd
Hsd

Reading all the above listed reviews... and being a huge fan of sweet sensual feminine fragrances.. I so so so desperately want it right now!!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Gorgeous....simply gorgeous, elegant scent from Yves Saint Laurent. So feminine and inviting, with not a single harsh note to be found, it warms the nose with a gentle 'almond-crumble' sweetness and entices you seek out the source.

I'm surprised by the ingredients, as at first I thought I detected green tea...then a faint hint of ginger, but neither of these actually feature. I think perhaps I was fooled by the almond blossom, which is not a note I would come across frequently. The florals and delicate citrus balm beautifully together with a powdery vanilla and amber.

I bought this as a present for my mother and she told me that it garners more compliments and questions from people than any other perfume she's worn.

"Cinéma" has much in common with Lubin's "Black Jade" in terms of texture and appeal. Both are exquisite.

pantorini
pantorini

Why does this fragrance seem so cold, defensive, mean to me? It is just not an inviting scent to my nose.

poutpout
poutpout

Nothing compares to you...

Denica
Denica

What gentleness, what irradiance! Liquid gold that embraces your body and merges with you. Very rich and full-bodied, yet delicate aroma. Indispensable in cold and gloomy weather. Lifts your mood and makes you feel like a real lady.

ivyheel
ivyheel

This is so cozy in colder weather! I find myself reaching for it more than all my other fragrances at the moment. Yes, it is all about the vanilla, but the almond blossom and citrus notes really make Cinema an original concoction. Because this is so pleasant and comforting, I find it easy to wear during the day in addition to nights out. On my skin this is quite potent, so I generally use no more than 2-3 sprays and that lasts a good 4-5 hours. I think I might actually need to invest in a second bottle as I am quickly going through my first.

MuhannadQahtani
MuhannadQahtani

عطر جميل و حالم و خفيف و رائع... شريتة ولو انة نسائي استعملة لليومي بالصباح منعش و اخف من العطور الرجالية اشوف انة عديم الجنس

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

Cinema might be the only fragrance whose top notes I actually prefer to the drydown. It’s usually all about the drydown for me; if you read my other reviews you will see that I have written sonnets about the heart of Private Collection, and the sensuous spell of Obsession. But Cinema sparks off with the most compelling sweet citrus, honeyed mimosa and soft aldehydes. Delicious.

The oriental layer of vanilla, almond blossom and musk produce an edible alchemy of crème brûlée that is utterly irresistible. I have recently been gifted with YSL Manifesto, and while the latter is a little too sweet and linear to totally wow me, Cinema is an elegant and classy example of a gourmand. Note the lack of actual gourmand notes, but there is something about the composition of Cinema that insinuates itself into the genre.

Warm, smooth, sophisticated, and perfectly suited to winter.

icekat
icekat

When the nights grow long and cold, I always look for a nice scent to lighten up my mood. Cinema is one of those scents. It smells gorgeous mixed with the cold air when its honeyed floral notes are balanced by the chilly weather outside. Cinema is smooth and comforting but it is not a scent that I just want to cuddle with while reading a nice book on a stormy night. It is great for a night out when I need something more sophisticated than just a straight up vanilla gourmand. Cinema is very attractive and elegant scent. She is not an eccentric diva but a woman who is classy, considerate and warm.

The composition is largely based on the sweet honeyed notes and vanilla but I also like how it brings the sensual beauty of jasmine in the mix. After the quick fresh spring flowers opening, the scent transforms into this beautiful sweet floral scent which stays linear but quite lovely surrounding me with its smooth golden wrap. Nothing is out of place here. It is like a nice, well-made evening gown, which looks classy and beautiful without revealing too much. As the scent transforms into a dry down stage, it continues to be smooth and sweet while vanilla, benzoin and amber take over. The scent lasts for at least 7 hours and has decent projection. Few sprays last all day.

My overall score is 8.5/10. This scent is pure luxury. If gold had a scent, I think it would smell like Cinema. I recommend it if you are looking for a nice, smooth vanilla oriental scent. It is not there to shock you but it is reliable, elegant and easy to wear.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

The first half hour one can smell mostly clementine with white flowers, and something sweet in the background. I find the opening similar to Cruel Intensions by Killian. When the white flowers become a little bit less prominent, perfumes evolve into Casmiresque vanilla scent: powdery, sweet, a bit fruity and really pleasant. Worth waiting first half hour if you, like me, don't enjoy white flowers.

aura2424
aura2424

OK !note to self :don't stick nose into wrist immediately after spray if u don't want to get a wallop of alcohol.that being done ,for a few seconds i got nothing.after that spicy notes that reminded me of Revlon She that i had a decade ago.it was right next to my skin so i thought: no sillage and went on with my errands.i had to walk quite a lot as parking was at a distance ,when a pleasant amber smell hit me and followed me all into the evening.in the morning i got a water note which after shower gel and body lotion still did not go away ! so a great buy for me.

Elmyra
Elmyra

Not nice.....cheap smelling even, vanilla dominant.
Also it is very linear, one scent dominates and its the most boring fragrance ever.
A disappointment from YSL, the best one was Sensi. There is no justice comparing Cinema to Sensi, thats just unfair!

SolangeN
SolangeN

Sickeningly sweet vanilla almond cut with a whole lot of scratchy, artificial musk/woods. There's something like bitter orange baby asprin in there too, probably the vanilla mixed with the remnents of the orange open. The realistic clementine top note and mimosa are the only good elements of this. They should bottle that.

The musk is the same metallic laundry nightmare that's ubiquitous in cheapo kiddie clothing store fumes like Hollister and American Eagle. Do perfumers not smell their own confections before releasing them for sale? Of course the musk doesn't show its ugly underbelly until several hours - long after a department store impulse purchase.

Have to agree with the earlier poster - Cinema could be beautiful with quality ingredients, but the harsh chemical base and saccharine vanilla just render it noxious.

anna7777777
anna7777777

one of the best perfumes out there.at least for me!everytime i wear it men ask me which perfume i wear! sexy warm luxurious very feminine!

Scout
Scout

Dramatic. I actually wore this once out to a film, and I think I gave everyone around me an asthma attack. This stuff projects! The cyclamen is adorable. Wish there were more of it and less "syrup."

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

I purchased a small vial on eBay and although it smells very good, I really have to inhale to take in the scent. Very light and hardly stays on the skin. Now, I could have gotten ripped off but as far as the notes of the scent, fantastic. It's floral and benzoinish. Good but not my fave. About I hour later the I have fave, sweet sweet vanilla and almond. Love it. I'll try a whole bottle even if I have to purchase at the department store and pay full price. Loves it. Changes on the way to its beautiful end.

biki
biki

Oh god... I imagine a ten-time processed vanilla in some dirty fctory wuold smell like this... Harmful for digestive system... As far as i remember it i think there was a bit of a car freshener vibe added to it which i personally dislike. As if someone wanted to present the worst quality vanilla... It does not bring out the sweet side of vanilla,it doesnt emphasize the spicy side,it just has a basic resemblance that is enough for us to recognised it,stripped of any gourmand or exotic feel.... Wasn't impressed by the bottle either...

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

This is a lovely fragrance. It lasts on the skin for ages and I like the way it evolves over time - from a sweetish floral to amber and delicate musk and I'm left with a gorgeous powdery vanilla. Very elegant and sophisticated.

Moonwalk Memorie
Moonwalk Memorie

Skin tested the edt.

I was expecting something rich, but all I get is sweet musk, light florals, and some myrrh. While I'm glad it gets spicier over time, this just isn't worth it.

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

This was the 2nd perfume of the day =)

I knew i would love it even before trying it... i am a true vanilla addict! =p

It was everything that i imagined it would be =) Sweet, sparkling, very feminine and elegant - old school Hollywood if u ask me.

But........ i was surprised at how fast it faded to an almost close to skin kinda perfume. I was hoping it would be more of a room filler... or it should have been, in my opinion.

That's my only issue with it really. I will probably own this one as well and just overdose when putting it on. LOL =p

lucy89
lucy89

Such a beautiful fragrance! A lightly spiced warm vanilla. Very sophisticated and non offensive. I could see myself using this as a bed time fragrance it is so comforting, so rich.

veronvai
veronvai

This is one of my favourite scents, i can't get enough of this. Even if I'm alone in the house i would spray it on my hand, just to feel this amazing smell. At first, it may smell a little bit too strong , but after a hour it's pure perfection. The smell becomes so soft and warm-just like a warm summer breeze. It makes me so relaxed and calm. I imagine the women of this perfume is tall and beautiful, with long straight hair, long flowy dress (a women that looks exactly like models from Versace spring 2006 collection, actually), dancing late in the evening , when the sun is gone, but the sky is still pink/orange , somewhere between the ocean and the city with her eyes closed and not caring about nothing, because all that she wants at that moment is to feel that warm summer breeze and that amazing smell of a summer evening.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

This is truly a gorgeous fragrance. It smells very expensive, very unique soft yet bold spicy and sweet I have never smelled one quite like this. I am very impressed with this blind buy. So I got done planting shrubs and had to head over to my son's school to meet the teacher for orientation. I was all sweaty and gross so quickly changed and cleaned up the best I could but needed something to freshen me up. Cinema took me from gross sweaty lady doing gardening to classy fresh sophistication. Best blind buy ever this is one of those I will for sure buy several bottles to stock up on. Very pretty for both the younger and the older it does not discriminate.

Agatha-Christie
Agatha-Christie

sweet tea with some flowers

orchid_84
orchid_84

Cinema EDP is a pleasing composition of sweet clementine and spicy, musky florals sitting on a resinous, creamy base of benzoin and vanilla. Very pleasant and easy to wear, though it doesn’t move me quite as much as I hoped it would. I love this rich citrus-floral-vanilla blend in the opening and mid-stages, but it falls a bit short in the drydown. After half an hour it collapses into a vague fruitiness on my skin, leaving something to be desired. Somehow I think this particular combination of florals and vanilla would have been more successful, to my nose at least, if the sweetness level was dialled back a bit.

Carnation
Carnation

This edp has glamour written all over it.Sweet,slightly tangy(from the balsam?)floral with a vanillic like veil and a little spice thrown in. Somewhere in the middle of the perfume,I picked up a watery note of sorts. A little too red carpet Hollywood for my tastes.

LexiDeRock
LexiDeRock

This is one of two scents (the other being Burberry Brit) that I love love love on other people and can't stand on myself. Two of my French girlfriends wore it and it smelled like heaven on them. Classic but not too old or heavy, just right for a 20 something french gal about town. Who knows maybe I am not french enough to pull this one off

siauseque
siauseque

I mostly go for niche houses but it is good to find a beauty counter scent that is not overly pricey and easy enough to find. (just in case someone ever asked me what I would like as a gift). While not groundbreaking it satisfies me like a vanilla ice cream cone.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

A warm, lovely fragrance, reminiscent of a day on the terrace of a gorgeous beach house in Cannes or Nice. The almond blossom, clemtine, peony and jasmine combine with the woods and vanilla to create a soft vanillic neroli type fragrance that is a bit sweet and soft and totally pretty and sophisticated. Cinema actually layers well with a soft gardenia fragrance such as Creed Fleurs de Gardenia. This has a nice natural feel and does not smell synthetic at all. Cinema is added to my list of go to summer favorites.

jadziadax
jadziadax

The advertising campaign of old style movie glamour really caught my attention and the scent really lives up to it's hype. I wore this every day for a few years, then went onto YSLs Parisienne after that. YSL perfumes always make me feel like I am wearing something of luxury.

Gosha
Gosha

Lightly embalmed, refined, boozy, cherry wood. :-)

It doesn't look that charming when put together like this, but those words are always on my mind when I first put Cinema on. And yes, I find it charming too!

Classy, chic, polished, somehow cleanly elegant, womanly (although I can easily envision some men wearing this very successfully) and due to its warm/dark/ambery/sticky background sweetness, it is also quite sensual.

I would call it "lightly flirty-floriental". :-)
To me personally Cinema is defined by gently spiced, thick, dark, burned, grown up, resinous sweetness forming a solid base for the more cheerful floral notes. But sure - enough of this sugary talk, as to me, a sweet fragrance lover, this elixir is really not that sweet at all! Yes, for me, the mellow stickiness is always present, but always in a very inoffensive way, gently providing velvety background and complimenting everything else.

The colour is very appropriate, deep, dark, orange-y/brown, warm and soothing. I have to say that I am rather fond of this mixture and would wear this when I need to feel confident.

NicoleO
NicoleO

I tested this thinking that I would really like a vanilla perfume to wear this winter. It made me realize that actually, no I don't. Great for those who love very strong vanilla. I need something a little subtler.

nataliad
nataliad

Cinema is a beauty. Personified, she would be the young lady you take home to meet your mother. But she's not a bore, and she's not shy to make her presence known either. Elegant, enchanting, and classy spring to mind. This one was love at first sniff for me, and I could not get Cinema off my mind until I was forced to actually purchase this gem shortly after. This will always continue to be one of my signature scents through out.

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

THE GREAT GATSBY:

Daisy Buchanan walks into Jay Gatsby's manor, beautiful white curtains are billowing in the wind, she is dressed from head to toe in her finest diamonds and jewels. She is a vision of beauty.

The wind catches her perfume, what is she wearing? CINEMA.

Gatsby falls in love.

______________________________________

This fragrance is the apotheosis of 1920s glamour and decadence.

When i smell this on a woman all i can think of is Daisy's famous line,
"I'm paralyzed with happiness!"

melzy
melzy

I always figured I was doomed when it came to finding a warm vanilla fragrance that I actually liked. Hypnotic Poison, Shalimar, Ange ou Demon... they all had the same effect: instant crushing sinus headache.

Then I met Cinema. And I was pleased to make her acquaintance. Admittedly, I can't smell my wrists for a good 5 minutes after applying. It needs that time to come to body temperature and mellow out a bit.

I get warm vanilla and almond straight off the bat. It mingles with vibrant clementine orange. The combination of the benzoin, amber and musk give it a warm, sweet, powdery and almost creamy quality. I only get a vague appearance from the florals unfortunately.

I'm not a classy lady by any stretch of the imagination, but I sure feel classy wearing Cinema.

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

Pleasant, but nothing special or unique to me. Among the crowd of florientals introduced in the 90's and 00's by major fashion houses, this fades into the background. I prefer the burlesque JPG Classique, the opulent Black Orchid, or the coy L'Instant de Guerlain to the pedestrian Cinema.

SamaraVier
SamaraVier

I just recomend you to use it after your fouthiers. It´s not a Young perfum.

Save M
Save M

it is one of my favourite!!! I really love the bitter and fresh notes of citruses together with the sweetness of vanilla and almond. It's very sophisticated , elegant and also sexy without being caddish, adding yellow flowers it is just a poison of sunshine and seduction! Very French!

Jonathanpsa
Jonathanpsa

Reminds me of the day I met My girlfriend in an evening near the Medditeranian sea ...a very great perfume and totally classy

Kiera79
Kiera79

I like this a lot. Sweet vanilla with almond and orange. It reminds me a little of Burberry Brit, which is another favorite of mine :) this is the kind of fragrance that would be perfect for almost any occasion. I could wear this out at night or to work. Definitely going on my want list.

po
po

Cinema is my latest love. Have tested in the past and found it unremarkable but now I know it can't always be ''love at first sniff''

The clementine gives a sparkling quality but the most prominent note is definitely vanilla. I can clearly detect soft floral notes later along with the almondy part -which I find delicious. The base consists of not too sweet vanilla mixed with soft musk and slightly caramelized chewy benzoin. All notes are blended beautifully, the overall impression is really smooth, polished and put together.

Cinema lasts around 5 hours but it's never loud - on the contrary, I think it's one of these perfumes that just blend, become part of you and make others come closer to sniff with delight. I also find it highly versatile. Because of the citrusy part, the mild sweetness and the moderate projection it can be worn all year round and suit every occasion.
It's just a great option when the weather is warming up if you don't like summery aquatics or fruity- florals.

The concept is rather misleading, though. This cozy, polite and discreet scent isn't that dramatic IMO. But then again not shy at all and very put together.

Overall I think Cinema is a well balanced easily wearable vanilla based oriental and I do love it although I can see why someone could get bored soon.

Axum
Axum

I used to like Cinema for its toasted almond-vanilla-lemon-shortbread qualities; but over time, as I've found other, better vanilla fragrances, Cinema has come to smell too synthetic, with the vanilla unfortunately drowned in synthetic musk.

amaliamarinescu
amaliamarinescu

really Hollywood and the bottle so impressive
i'm glad that i had it and definitely i would like to have it again

i will never forget this scent

aromaminx
aromaminx

A simple elegant perfume in my books. Very suitable for the office or a casual picnic.

Anup
Anup

For some reason this reminds me of Shalimar initial.
All in all this is a very pretty powdery floral/sweet scent.
That is until the resinous musk comes in and buttf**ks the whole thing into this rather twisted and disturbing pop hit in Gminor. If Marylin Manson ever made a fragrance for women it would be something like this i imagine.

anna.023
anna.023

This reminds me a lot about my late grandmother. Not at all because it's 'old fashion' in anyway, because it's really not.

It reminds me about her warmth, her pretty fine knitted jumpers and her well organized bathroom self. This is really the most warm, loving and cosy perfume that I have ever smelled. I really do love it.

When I think about it I don't think she ever wore Cinema, she was more of a Boucheron lady.

lollsazz
lollsazz

I know a lot of people like it. It smells fresh, sweet and flowery, but on me it also has a weird note that I absolutely hate :( When I smell the perfume bottle, I feel this note is supposed to be fresh and smells a bit like green tea, but on me it smells like carrot...! I get th same thing from Dolce Vita by Dior. I also don't like the balmy dry-down of this - it just seems a bit weird to me.

freddinos
freddinos

It was not a good coincidence for my Cinema to arrive in the mail the same day as my Hypnotic Poison L'Elixir, the comparison of feelings each one evoked is just unfair:/
As another reviewer said, please do not try Cinema along with other perfumes. Give it a test alone. I am wearing it today and I can really appreciate its mellow oriental floral character. I get lots of the amber but none of the vanilla, but I'm a vanilla lover so don't take my word on it (the more vanilla the merrier:) ) I also get a hint of mandarin zest.
I wouldn't call Cinema very sexy or alluring. It is warm and very well put together, like a very well dressed heiress attending a dinner at the Metropolitan Museum in NY. You would definitely admire her but not necessarily fall madly in love with her:)

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

I've just purchased this as a blind buy, and though I love it I was struggling a bit with the balsamic dry-down. I will indeed try it in my hair. Thanks for the suggestion, BettyBlueBell.

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

I love this fragrance. I too bought this as a blind buy after reading a glowing review, and could not pass on a reasonable $39 price tag. I do not regret my purchase. Cinema is a warm, amber, vanilla, shimmering cascade of a cashmere blanket. I think the citrus and floral top notes prevent this from being a heavy, vanilla cake explosion. Although I have the eau de parfum, there is mediocre lasting power with the exception of gloriously luminous effects in the hair. Wow, this is radiant in the hair. Cinema is light enough for spring or early autumn, but might be a tad cloying in the heat of the summer.

mozzaa
mozzaa

Confession time- I love this on other people but it is not as nice on me. Before knowing that it does not work with my chemistry I had bought a large bottle. Guess what- I ended up using a whiff on my toddler after bath time. That baby smells sooooooo good- vanilla with baby powder skin- heaven. Can't help giving him kisses all the time- more so when he has Cinema on. And btw his daycare teachers say exactly the same thing:-))

antfarm
antfarm

Super synthetic, aldehydic opening mellowing into a somewhat tolerable spice bomb.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Now that I've had more time to investigate Cinema thoroughly, I'd like to leave a new review in place of my initial one:

To begin, Cinema's character is best appreciated when it is tested alone (not in conjunction with other frags). It makes a world of difference in how the scent is perceived by the nose.

At first spritz, I was unsure I would like this scent. It seemed sour to me, darkly floral and overblown. However, when I tried it again, this time by itself, it was a completely different story. The particular mix of florals in Cinema is not one I've yet encountered as a budding perfumista, and to my untrained nose they took a little bit of adjustment.

Cinema is soft, mildly honeyed, subtly and darkly spiced, and enrobing in nature. It's a blanket fragrance, enshrouding the wearer not in a mist, but a solid aura of fragrance. Opening notes reveal sweet and heady florals awash in boozy almondine citrus. At first sniff it threatens to be cloying, but doesn't quite go over that line. As it develops, the flowers and sweetness settle a bit and musk comes subtly forward, to blend with orange, almond, and vanilla to make a slightly smoky, mildly spiced fragrance that is sweet, yet dry.

It is indeed reminiscent of a theater, but not the modern-day arena-seating variety. Cinema is cocktails, musicians, dancers, evening wear, veiled smiles, corsages, stolen kisses, and cigars smoked in shadowed corners. I love it.

HLVTCA09

Just got it today after months of thinking about it (it is pretty expensive). It is the perfect spring vanilla! Light, floral, creamy, :) perfect for everyday use as it is not a IN YOUR FACE vanilla but still dominant enough for a pure vanilla addict like me :)

lcommisso
lcommisso

This was another cheapish blind buy at Marshalls. Initially, when I sprayed it, I thought what the heck did I just buy? Give it time. It will evolve into something flirty, feminine, with sexy streak.

Queenlelani
Queenlelani

My mum bought this and I decided to try it as it smelled quite nice and vanilla based in a way that I enjoy in perfumes. Unfortunately I get a vague citric floral smell with no vanilla at all (and i'm not a fan of florals tbh). And after a while of fruitlessly sniffing it to see if it magically transformes into the beautiful fragrance everyone is raving about it tends to give me a stuffy nose (-_-)... The dry-down is a little better though, more amber comes through although it sits quite close to my skin (perhaps that is because I used only a tentative amount), but I think my problem is that it smells too dry and sharp on me, not nicely rounded.

hss93
hss93

LOVE IT <333333 it has a femenin smell strong elegant and attracts everyone, best fragrance evvaaaaa

smellME
smellME

Just got this and even though I'm not a typical vanilla lover, this vanilla, amber musk and mandarin is simply beautiful to wear ! The early notes is a bit shrieky but then it mellows into a very mild close to skin scent that stays all day. It slightly reminds me of a part from Armani's Mania, but this is better as Mania gave me headaches...
It is not really the season for Cinema but it will be a very nice signature for the fall/winter seoson to come. Even though this is not what I would normally choose for this season, it really works today with a biting icecold winter blowing around me...
Very well done....of course ! - it's YSL...
Even so I could not accept the orange vanilla tone in the whole wear-
not me ,SWAPPED

advabart
advabart

Could anybody here please tell the difference between the edp and the edt? I've also seen it comes in a pure parfum formulation. I'd appreciate your help.

LANIER
LANIER

Detective Tom Polhaus: Heavy, What is it Sam?

Sam Spade picks up the black bird and considers its history and all it has caused to happen in his life.

Sam Spade: The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of.

Fade to black.

***************************

The stuff that dreams are made of, that is after all what Cinema is and always will be. Cinema is many things but the main engine that fuels the dream machine is love.
It began with the first flickering in 1896 when John Rice puckered up to May Irwin in, The Kiss. It became rapturous as a wordless Garbo embraced her absent lover’s roses as if they were actually him. Epic in scope and passion when Rhett Butler’s kiss devoured Scarlett under a flame tortured Atlanta sky. It was no more heart meltingly satisfying as it was when Jennifer Lawrence surrendered to Bradley Cooper as he kissed her tears and came finally home to his true meaning of excelsior and a chance at a silver lining.

In the dark we as a world embrace the dream and surrender to the agreement to disconnect from reality and move into the art of the possible. Be it in an outdoor theater in the savannas of Africa, a neon modern moive-plex in Shanghai, that old movie house on main street or a grand place on the Champs Élysées everyone forgets nations and boundaries and we become one in the dream.

The faces of the luminous, the ones who live in that silver nitrate dream have many names, Valentino, Harlow, Mitchum, Monroe, Brando, Taylor. In truth they are our avatars, Dream catchers and soothsayers, the vessels that tell our mythic tales of love to us and promise if not a happy ending, then the truly bittersweet legends of the lost.

These cinematic dreams have shaped our perception of what love is, sometimes it falls near reality but most of the time we prefer our dreams to lie to us, to be unattainable and effervescently unwise to peruse. Unrealistic expectations aside and hearts broken over them, we always come back to the dark, to the Cinema to try and capture at last the stuff that dreams are made of.

********

When I smelled it for the very first time Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent, Catherine Deneuve came at once to mind. Partly because I always remember her at his side at a retrospective of his work towards the end of his life, also because she was a muse to him, and mostly because she embodies my perception of the French Cinema Star.

Cinema is a delicate Floral Oriental that plays with light on the skin as softly as a misty gauze filtered close-up plays across the screen. It is very refined and elegant but like Deneuve is on the screen; it is illusionary and just out of reach. This is not to say it is weak or watery, not at all. It is ethereal. Aloofly beautiful it opens in blonde notes of sweet Clementine, and white almond blossom with a hint of honey rouge in the cyclamen. This flickers and fades into a sublimely subtle rose that finds the confident support of white peony and a flurry of windswept jasmine. The attention to refinement and lush expense is lavished here as it would be on the costume of a great star. The middle is really lovely and here is where it begins to blend with the skin as the vanilla comes up from the bottom notes. This vanilla is not heady and cloying but light and frothy.

All stars flicker and dye and for Cinema there is no escaping that the dry down comes too soon. Legendary star that it is, it lingers on and retains a memory of its former beauty with a little nip and tuck from the amber, musk and benzoin.

The longevity is moderate at about six hours (imagine sitting through a six hour film and that now seems not such a short time for a perfume). The silage is good in the first hour and then it moves in for its close-up and says there to capture the attention of anyone who is attentive.

The bottle presentation is breathtaking. A tall rectangular clear bottle topped with a simple square golden cap the juice is the color of the Palme d’Or of Cannes. And through the glass running in gold from bottom to top like rows of moving film is the name Yves Saint Laurent with CINEMA brazened across the front. It really looks like a star on the dressing table. With all this glamour going on can a man dare to wear Cinema, but of course he can. It would be a perfect fragrance for a elegant evening in a tux or for a late night dive along Mulholland Drive to a midnight supper with someone very special. Just like in the movies. Sounds kind of dreamy, doesn't it?

executegirl
executegirl

I forgot about this perfume untill I found an empty bottle sitting in my drawer. I smelled it and totally fell in love with this perfume again. I bought a new bottle the day after. Such a wonderfull smell.

rachelkay
rachelkay

A cinema that needs fresh air, dank, musty. Big disappointment with this one. Not enough warmth to enfold the sense of long-extuingished cigarettes & decay. The film is over and you are left with stale debris and the occasional light creeping in from exit doors.

hazel hazel
hazel hazel

I just bought Cinema today, and am in love with the warm vanilla and floral scent lingering on my skin!

nomi77
nomi77

drop dead gorgeous nothing like this make u feel glamorous very nice feminine smell masculine touch

perfumemad62
perfumemad62

Cinema is so beautiful and rich.

Fresh flowers with sweet vanilla, warm amber and a little bit of liquor. I feel glamourous and sophisticated wearing cinema. Lasting power is about 6 hours on my skin and sillage is good too.
Cinema is all about glamour, opulence and sophistication.

Overall, an excellent scent for daily glamour or fancy evenings. It's very versatile. This definitely suits all ages. Highly recommended!

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

My boyfriend gave this for my birthday once, I really liked the smell! Warm yet fresh flowery vanilla! Too bad it doesn't last long on me at all :(

pippab
pippab

A little bit boozy cherry, a little bit smokey. Not unlike John Galliano EDP or Habanita. Probably an evening fragrance. It's OK, but I'm not in love with it.

semsem_sunshine
semsem_sunshine

Cinema <3
it's a love from the first sniff, everything in this perfume is perfect even the bottle is so glamorous and chic, the scent is so unique and the notes are blended in a brilliant way, the dry-down is to die for, vanilla-y but in a comforting way not cloying or overly sweet
It's definitely not an everyday scent but to me I can wear it even before sleeping
this is gonna be my wedding scent. LOVE IT

landolines
landolines

Loved the perfume so much,will certainly buy again,

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Pretty bottel, but not a perfume, it is going back to marshals. Disappointment.

nicolevivi
nicolevivi

spicy and warm

Fizzy
Fizzy

Being in Indonesia last week and sniffing the best true dried vanilla pod (with the black, small creamy seeds) in the world, I can tell you - and please don't be mad with me for my teacher-attitude - this is not vanilla at all.

This has been said, let my try to say, what I smell. The first came into my mind, was honeyed, syruped sweet mimosa and lilly with a small bit mandarine leaf.

Sweet fragrance, without any musk, smelling the whole time the same, with 12 hours longevity on clothes and big,big silage, nothing sharp, nothing harsh - a must have. LOVE at first sniff and highly WANTED. If somebody wants to swap it, please contact me.

In the summer it may be a bit overwhelming, but of course you have the possibility to use a little drop or spray it and walk through the cloud. Perfect for day, but you can use it in the evening too. For the office is maybe too much, because this fragrance makes a statement. You are perfumed and thats it. For women ONLY.
Edit: The dry down develop after 8 hour to sweet lilly. To my surprise, this fragrance linger on the skin relatively quiet, but still present. When the smell dies, I smell exactly Hanae Mori Hanae Mori.

Baileys
Baileys

To my nose this smells like vainilla gel or soap or something like that. I love it because I like a lot soapy scent. But not just "soap", it smells like the sking after a shower using vainilla-almond shower gel. Natural and not annoying or too strong. I like it a lot.

HLVTCA09

Beautfil floral vanilla! cofmofrting, warm. The perfect skin-scent <3 i have it on my wrist right now and it dried down to a nice perfumey vanilla which smells like you put on vanilla bodylotion.
The perfect everyday vanilla without making all the people next to you in the bus sick or hungry.

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

Pingui writes such a compelling review in favor of YSL Cinema, as attracting men, like flies to honey! That certainly convinced me to try it! So, when I found a large 90 ml. EdP @ Marshall's for $29, I bought it :) Immediately upon application, suddenly I recall- I SO dislike intense Vanilla/Ambre's, & Gourmands. I'd sprayed one spritz on my wrist, and one on my sweater sleeve. I had to scrub my wrist, and the next day, the intense vanilla caramel (with amondine floral), permeated my sweater, and is just far too vanilla, and cloyingly sweet for my taste. I do like the balmy floral aspect, but that is vastly over-powered by the Vanilla/Caramel/Ambre.

This seems to be a well respected creation, loved by many! It IS indeed, quite pleasant as a Gourmand. Although men may indeed find this nectar impossible to resist, I can't stand to breathe in this juice on my skin. But- Having tried it, I can completely understand Pingui's admiration, and observations about men finding this scent irresistable!

However, if, like me, you are not a fan of Vanilla, Ambre's, nor Gourmands, I suggest that you beg, borrow, or buy a sample to try this, before committing to an entire bottle. Fortunately, I hadn't spent too terribly much on it, and also lucky for me, my cotton sweater is machine washable- And, with Borax (washing soda, a deodorizer for laundry), I was able to launder my sweater. Beware, though- The fragrance persists!

In other words, sillage and longevity are very impressive! The bottle, too, is pure golden NYC / modern architecturally magnificence! And, although to my olfaction, the Sweet, sweet Vanilla / Ambre / Gourmand dominate, it IS so much more than that- It's a masterfully blended, Vanilla/Ambre Almondine Floral Gourmand. YSL Cinema is a magnificent stand-out perfume, in it's classification(s)- with fabulous sillage and 24 hr. + longevity, it is indeed a treasure! Enjoy!

yvankraft
yvankraft

Elegant, versatile and almost edible! Cinéma will get you many compliments from men and women. It had to be Yves Saint Laurent again. Very chic minimalist bottle design. Makes me think of marzipan, happy days, luxury clothes... The good life...

pingui
pingui

Review of the parfum:

I adore this fragrance and I adore how this draws men to me like flies to honey. It starts off with an intoxicating blend of heady florals mixed with a salted caramel. This is not a powdery vanilla but something much more deeper, and complex. It also reminds me alot of almond paste and fondant. Later in the drydown, you get more of the balmy amber and benzoin but the florals are still present, as well as a powdery caramel.

This fragrance works for all four seasons, including the "soupy" summers of anyone living near the coast. This is my "go-to" date fragrance because men seem to be turned on by the florals or the pastry-like scent or both! My last big first date could not keep his hands off me, when I wore this. That's a winner in my book. I feel sexy, delicious, and all-powerful woman wearing this and combined with some lacy French or Italian lingerie, you cannot go wrong!

evgenia80
evgenia80

I could only smell a kind of shampoo,shower gel or something like that on me. Nothing elegant,glamorous or sexy...I won`t purchase it again

8belita
8belita

The first time I smelled this I just thought EW so not me. After about 2 years I sprayed some of it on my skin and it developed to this most amazing, comforting, not too sweet not too fruity, just perfect scent! It feels like my second skin.. a dream.

Kimmy89
Kimmy89

So, tried this and expected it to be more vanilla, but could only smell the sweetness of florals. Not a floral fan.
I am loving the new ysl fragrance. More like it for me. :-)

Coffeelover64
Coffeelover64

Why don't I learn and stop blind-buying fragrances? I tend to like YSL fragrances, especially Baby Doll which is my fav summer scent. Anyhow, Cinema is just the epitome of harshness and super strong. I can't even pick out anything specific from this concoction to comment on. Other reviewers have said 'medicine' and 'tobacco' and I agree with those, plus just an overwhelming synthetic smell. Now I've just got to figure out who might want this- hopefully someone I don't hang out with!

Eurochic
Eurochic

I am so glad I got to sample this before buying. I had high hopes for this one, but it left me feeling disappointed. Right after application I thought that this was nothing new, just another generic (synthetic) vanilla based wannabe classic perfume. Been there done that, seen this smelled that. I didn't find it very pleasant, quite cloying and annoying at times. Many people rave about the vanilla notes in Cinema, personally I didn't get any sweetness.
I guess it's all about chemistry, but on me the citrus notes linger for ever. I want a perfume to make me feel good, and go "aaaaahhh" when I smell it, however this one makes me feel irritated every time I smell my wrist.
Pass.

bluenuks63
bluenuks63

nice, but too sweet for me. smells like brown sugar kind.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I just bought this and it smells so good. It's winter time and I love the way it makes me feel. Feels like warmth, cinnamon spicy on me. I smell the vanilla and florale. Most everyone I know don't think it smells so good in the bottle but loves the way it smells on me. From the bottle it smells a little too sweet but on skin it's just the right amount of sweetness.

MabelEarth
MabelEarth

A gyönyörű és elegáns csomagolás megtévesztő! Ez a parfüm nagyon édes! :(
Nálam ki van zárva! 2005-ben többször is próbáltam, de nem jött be.

Efflorescence
Efflorescence

My mom bought this perfume, and I'm glad she dumped it, because it's so... imposing. Not a snuggly and warm scent, but a sharp and whiny one that leaves me with a headache. Made me feel like I was being suffocated and weighed down by a cloud of vanilla and heady florals.

Kysyona
Kysyona

THE perfect scent for everyday use. Why? - because it achieves what so many other fragrances only aspire to: it becomes part of the body scent and blends with it ENTIRELY: at least on me. Somehow it penetrates the layer of one's skin's natural aroma and adds a few distinct and flattering and natural-seeming ingredients to the existing bunch. Vanilla, a hint of lemon, sugar icing and powdery flowernotes arrive in this bottle at a perfect blend and create an aura around the body rather than agressively manifesting itself on a random passer-by (especially when the body temperature / air temperature increases). It becomes impossible to detect the ''foreign'' notes when smelling it on your own skin after the drydown: it smells like as if you literally woke up with a renewed layer of ''you'' that had magically and god-knows-how absorbed the best from nature while you were sleeping. :) Due to this softness and halo-like qualities I would not call it an evenig perfume, which you need a few dabs of to metaphorically elbow your way to the center of the stage and announce your royal presence:). It is rather a daily mist around you that makes you feel incredibly cosy, womanly, fairy-like even, and fragile. I bet my bottom dollar ( or EURO in my case :)) that every ALPHA-male on the block would be rusing to lock the wearer into a protective embrace at the first whiff of CINEMA. I have bought a pure perfume bottle that is as heavy as a rock and completely gold-coloured (not see-through), and I must say, it looks so darn glamorous on my shelf, that all other flakons next to it seem like a charity case. :)

JohnMc
JohnMc

Fragrance apart, the bottle is simply beautiful - an amazingly sophisticated and elegant piece of design - it exudes femininity and grace.

TudorRose
TudorRose

I tried this on a cold December afternoon.
I liked YSL's Paris as a teenager, so I grabbed a tester in Boots.
It starts off beautifully with soft fruitiness, vanilla and some amber. I love the combination of the notes but for me, it could be a bit stronger as it fades away too quickly.
I've been wearing wintry perfumes though, like Dior J'Adore and Avon's Little Red Dress.
I might like its strength more in warmer weather.
Maybe they could make a stronger, wintry version..

cinema1974
cinema1974

This is amazing scent, I suggest buy it off the YSL official website it cost more but it well worth it because one friend purchased a fake bottle off ebay. So don't go there for perfume. Yes this is a perfume that smells great on me and I get about 5-6 people say you smell so good and they make me write it down. So depending on your body chemisty this smells better on some than others. Neiman Marcus and other shops in my area do not sell it anymore but the Offical website has it still.

KittyBaditty
KittyBaditty

There is something synthetic smelling about Cinema as a whole, but it's not a burnt plastic scent and is very faint - to me it fits perfectly with the theme of the fragrance and I find myself seeking out that note when I wear it. It smells a bit like a warm projector, or freshly printed posters.

For me, Cinema opens with a strong hit of citrus and flowers (my nose is not developed enough to recognise what flower) but it settles down into a softer, creamy amber and jasmine scent. I pick up a bit of the almond but it's not as noticeable as it is in my other faves (Hypnotic Poison and Brit). Not overly sweet, slightly powdery, feminine and comforting.

ray_archangel
ray_archangel

I got all excited because I found a good deal on Cinema for a huge bottle. But I was disappointed :(

I was waiting for the almond note, but there was none...
Actually, I felt almost nothing on my skin even when I used a ton of it, and directly smelled my wrist... I felt like walking around and asking random strangers whether they smelled anything, lol
I feel very sad, because I really wanted this perfume.
The only note I think I felt was green tea, for some reason, even though it is not listed.
Btw, I am sure that the perfume was real, I got it from TJmaxx

boruvka44
boruvka44

Sweet artificial benzoin, artificial vanilla, artificial jasmin and artificial citrus mix. It`s pretty, but totally chemical. Truly contemporary, modern...
I wonder what it would have smelled like, if it was made 40 years ago from natural ingredients.
After a couple of hours, it`s nice on a shirt. From my skin it was gone within less than two hours (EDP)
I`m giving it to my sister, she loves Ferre eau de parfume and Cinema is similar, just less sweet and without the Ferres creaminess.

ilzeilze
ilzeilze

I like this
evening meant

younqstunnahbaby
younqstunnahbaby

Just recently tried this and really really liked it. I got a nice clean vinilla scent, and also quite floral.V. nice

Aardwolf
Aardwolf

Resembles Estee Lauders Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang, but I prefer that one over Cinema. Cinema to me smells somehow a bit dusty, less smooth than AYY

Miss Mego
Miss Mego

At first I couldn't decide if I liked this or not, I loved the vanilla dry down but there was something different about the top notes that I couldn't quite put my finger on. After looking at the notes I think it's the clementine. After wearing this a couple of different times I like it more and more, although still not one of my favorites. I bought a mini .5 oz spray and I think that is the perfect size for me, any more and I probably would never use enough of it. It's a warm and comforting scent and I appreciate it more in cooler weather. I don't think this is that special but it's nice for a go-to scent as I can't see it offending anyone. I do happen to love the bottle though, simple and elegant.

goldiloks

Very pleasant! Very similar to Givenchy Hot Couture :)

susana75
susana75

Dear YSL ,

when I wear your perfumes I fell like glamourous elegant sexy woman . I've been wearing most of your perfumes but this one ...oh the GOLD one . I can notice the sweet clementine from the first spritz then calm down to ambry vanillic almond ..what a posh ingredient!!

I don't wast this perfume , I usually wear it when I wear expensive gown with precious gold jewelry .

charming and unique perfume . merci Mr YSL

Ceylane
Ceylane

This perfume is perfect, is very close to the skin, but has good staying power and is very cozy.

Edit: I liked this scent from the first spray. Liqueur, almond, gives me a sense of embrace. So perfect for a cool day, its sweetness has nothing gourmand. I read reviews that indicate that a perfume is suitable for older women, but I use it since the age of 21 (I'm 24 now). For a long time I thought I liked him, but in reality it's love that I feel for this liquid gold. Every time the weather is a little cooler I find myself running to him and admiring his perfection, his smell soft and round, and the peace and comfort it provides to me when I'm using.

whiten

it was created in 2004 but I feel like I can swear it was created at the start of 90s... anyone agreeing with me??
it just has the feeling the bottle the almonds the golden juice... maybe this is why I'm a bit hesitant to use it on daily basis, don't wanna feel like mature lady (sorry but 90s' scents are way too mature), but it was created in 2004... just realized it...

(2nd review)

Maybe I’m being unduly influenced by the description, but randomly during my most recent wearing of this perfume, an image flashed into my head: dim lighting, long cocktail dresses and exposed shoulders, cigarettes in elegant holders shamelessly flaunted, soft carpet, high heels, trays piled high with white chocolate and jellied fruits, and the strong scent of orange groves wafting in from the night outside. Shades of old Hollywood.

It’s cooler outside than my first review, and I think my skin chemistry is dryer and possibly less stressed (?). That, and I really, really do want to like this perfume!

The citrus note in the beginning is fabulous combined with the almond blossoms, just like orange groves and the smell of a fresh cut Clementine, with a bitter-rind tinge in the background. As it dries down, there is a bit of smokiness, with some vanilla-amber that brings to mind creamy white chocolate. The citrus rind scent is still there, too—almost a marmalade.

With further dry down, the amber becomes very apparent, still with a strong vanilla note but also with a bit of incense that keeps it mellow. Low sillage for me, but pretty good longevity—I can still smell it (at least on my clothes) after 6-8 hours. Very nice!

deviation
deviation

This is my current perfume and I love it because it is elegant and classy. When I first spray, it smells peppermint-ish vanilla and then it fades down to warm vanilla with notes of powdery peppermint still obvious in the background.

what I don't like about this perfume is that it has a very light sillage and lasts for max 12-14 hours on my skin.

That said, this was my go-to perfume throughout the summer but actually it is a fall-winter perfume and is for women aged 25+

black_and_red
black_and_red

I got Cinema as a bonus gift when I puchased a YSL Opium derivative (name of which I'll edit in later). Fragrances were very expensive in Australia until relatively recently, with the advent of discount perfumeries, chemists and also online shopping. I got these perfumes at this time, when such fragrances were much more of a luxury here, and I really couldn't afford to do so at the time. Unfortunately the Opium (Oriental something) was fairly underwhelming.

Then there was the Cinema. I wanted to like Cinema. You know, sometimes when the name or the styling of a fragrance seems compelling? I think the bottle is intriguing and was expecting it to be a stunning fragrance. But, for me it was extremely disappointing. My feeling is it was both a strange combination of sweeter than expected and, while perhaps more sophisticated than some fragrances, but without seeming to offer any unique elegance. I was in my 20s at the time; something about it made me think that it was more suited to a mature woman, but I also just couldn't get into it. I gave it to my to my then-boyfriend's mother, who is elegant, in case she might like it or wear it differently, so that on her it might work. I was told that she did like it, but will never know if she was being polite. I have been known to perservere with fragrances I am ambivalent about, even to the point I use them up; but I remember the bottle was full when I passed it onto her. Didn't work for me.

Evengelia
Evengelia

This smells like the ultimate femme fetale...expensive, mysterious, expensive, sultry and charming.

I always happen to attract gorgeous european men when im wearing this! its bizarre!!

It wears like a flowery, vanillary powdery beauty but its so creamy its not too heady, its boarderline.... just enough to send any man in your tracks absolutly bonkers.

I feel expensive and ladylike but sensual and alluring in this perfume..it smells nothing like Hypnotic Poison but it makes me feel the same, only a bit more classy.

Its kind Hypnotic Poisons, older, classier cousin.

starvega
starvega

This is a scent that always comes up when people are looking for a replacement for the now-discontinued Sensi by Armani, and it's true that it's very similar, but this is lacking a little of the sweetness that Sensi had. Still very nice, but no projection whatsoever and seems a little "older" than Sensi was. Lasts a decent length of time (7+ hrs) but won't really be noticed by anyone else.

CozyCat
CozyCat

Nice vanilla scent. Fuzzy, creamy, languorous...I get the clementine, I get the almond blossoms, I get the soft and creamy, warm vanilla. Don't get me wrong, it's a quality scent, it's just not a 'wow' fragrance. Does not fit its namesake, too simplistic. Smells similar to alot of other vanilla-based fragrances, there is no 'oomph', no sparkle, no shine. My perfume-freak buddy who has over a hundred bottles wore this one day, and for the first time I didn't notice her perfume. She then turned to me and asked me about it, let me try it on myself to convince me that it really is 'all that'. But I gave her a 'meh...it's nice, yeah , it's okay, you have plenty of better ones'. It kind of smells like a less-sweet, more refined and sophisticated 'Fancy' by Jessica Simpson, but also softer, more bland and tame, and much more expensive. If you wouldn't be caught dead wearing a celeb scent but you fancy yourself smelling like top-notch vanilla cream, you might want to try this.

renneyg007

Clementines, almond and musk are a complete no no for me. Ive worn this and all i get is almonds, strong & pungent. Sadly does nothing for me except inspire a headache and a compulsion to wash it off very quickly.

beatrix75

It smells classy, elegant and expensive. No sweetness or girlyness, just feminine and sexy perfume!Warmth , an elegant perfume very sensual, special, sexy and all moust everithing what i expect from a fragrance in late autum ,winter time.I adore Cinema from very long time, wi have some conection but...now it was time to buy end i am happy to i have and i joy to juse every day !!!Top 10 of my perfumes.

HeidiLynn

What a deal—a 3 oz bottle of YSL Cinema for $35 (US)! I’ve been watching the bottle at my local Ross discount store, and it went from $49 to 35 (more my price range). I was so looking forward to this oriental floral with amber, vanilla and citrus notes.

Starts citrusy but not too sharp, I can definitely smell the Clementine and the almond blossoms in the beginning. To me, it reminds me of a trip to Florida in my childhood—the smell of the orange groves in bloom. There is a strange note that is lurking underneath that I can’t put my finger on; it almost reminds me of pipe tobacco, it’s a faint incense-y smell but not like the ashy-ness of cigarette smoke. All this in the first hour.

There are certainly also some floral undertones, not heavy but there; and some earthiness that comes through as well, not sure where that is coming from. I’m not able to identify the specific flowers. Someone described this as sparkly—and I agree, the Clementine has a sparkliness that is light and pretty, but not too girly. It settles down slowly, and the fruitiness of the Clementine really develops along with some smokiness. At about 2 hours, I’m not getting any amber or vanilla notes—just floral citrus and earthy smokiness (but not musk).

By about 4 hours, all that is left is a faint citrus with a slight tinge of amber/vanilla--almost a caramelized orange scent—but not candy or sugar-sweet, and definitely not what I would call a gourmand. Maybe I’ve sniffed it all away on my wrist, or developed anosmia, but I can barely smell it on myself anymore.

It doesn’t seem to project, so with low-modest sillage which is OK. I’d say only moderate lasting. The bottle is pretty with the gold accents and gold fluid, but the nubby glass on the back does feel strange. The spray cap releases a generous amount, so be cautious.

I love spicy, warm, orientals and I was really hoping for a rich, amberic fragrance but this one isn’t it. I’m not sure I like this, I may have to give it a few more tries.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

Cinema sits very close to the skin, but at least it lasts for a reasonable amount of time. I really love this perfect combination of vanilla, almond, tangerine and powdery floral, and I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems to have a few things in common with L'Instant (vanilla + powdery florals).

mseidoom
mseidoom

Well, I didn't smell any vanilla or almond and I tried the parfum version. To me, it kept smelling like an aquatic floral more than anything. It's almost like a light version of Ciel Pour Femme by Amouage. Maybe I'll have to try the eau de parfum strength. Years ago when the strip was in the magazine, I would smell the almond and vanilla. I guess with the parfum they wanted to offer a different take on the original scent.

javieraquai
javieraquai

Este perfume es delicioso!!!!! muy buenos recuerdos!!! I Do Love Cinema YSL!!!!!!!! the best!!!!!

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

This perfume is delicious! I don't really get the vanilla so much as the amber though, so I don't know why vanilla has so many more votes than amber. This is a very cozy, sweet, slightly powdery (but I hate powdery scents so it can't be that powdery) scent that feels like a warm blanket. It is perfect for Fall/Winter. It does smell just like Trouble, so I'm glad I didn't shell out a bunch of cash for a whole bottle of Trouble. My 2 decants will be enough. I have a whole bottle of Cinema. I can't decide which one I like better because to be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two! Great frag though. Excellent longevity, and perfect amount of sillage.

dormir6
dormir6

Sweet, but deliciously sparkling and refreshing. Simple in a good way, doesn't change too mauch, and lasts all day.Not a statment, but the smell of wealth and wellbeing. Cheers me up on cloudy days, wraps me around in golden fume, when I need confidence, and gives condolation when I am alone. Big love!

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Very feminine to my nose. Quite the orange (clementine) blast in the opening, settles down quickly and warms up speedily to be a warm companion of almond blossom and warm amber, discreet musk - which on my skin comes across as an understated tobacco note as well - but not so much that you appear sweaty, or as if you marinaded in vanilla tobacco.

On my skin it's not overly sweet and the vanilla is neither cloying, nor powdery, but slightly boozy and grown up. I don't necessarily consider it a 'vanilla' perfume - if I want a dose of good vanilla, I reach for Hanae Mori's Hanae Mori (in the blue box). It also absolutely does not remind me of Simpson's "Fancy" - as you can actually smell the difference in price points. Cinema on my skin comes across as a different animal in quality, very pulled together. Yesterday I went blonde...and this was the first perfume I wore - so somehow I see this now befitting blondes, lol.

Cinema is neither a projection bomb, nor a skin scent - it's a happy medium. A confident woman with her own style that you feel happy to befriend. Not snobbish, you know her from somewhere, but she has her own thoughts about the world.

I can see that being office safe and interesting enough for a dinner date as well. Not 'groundbreaking edge' - but a solidly constructed fragrance that one doesn't have to be afraid to name. Very nicely done, actually.

Edit: After wearing it for a few days - I really, really like this. It's just mature enough, but sparkly and bright. Still not a huge statement of any kind, but for me definitely full bottle worthy. Thank YSL, this is me - at least one side of me.

Cinema is a beautiful fragrance. There should be a category called "fresh vanilla" because Cinema would fit. It's a creamy blend of lightly smoked amber and vanilla with hints of almond. Fresh and exotic jasmine as well as a fruitiness helps keep the fragrance from becoming too thick and away from the gourmand category. It's not cloying or heavy at all.

It doesn't last as long as I expected nor does it project far enough IMO, but the scent is worth it.

I love the beautiful bottle. It seems to match well with the juice. The perfume is called Cinema, and it reminds me of the Golden Era of Hollywood.

nicki317
nicki317

At first sniff I get something sharp, like pepper or leather. then it settles into a sexy, powdery amber with a hint of floral. I can't smell the citrus. To me this smells sophisticated and sexy. Not your run-of the mill fruity floral. I'm not always in the mood for this, but I will use if on occasion. In general I like them sweeter.

Hairytrees1
Hairytrees1

This is really glamorous scent, really sophisticated, sweet and ambery & slightly floral.. Can still smell it on my wrist 9 hours after I spritzed. I nearly bought it, but then I realised that it smells exactly like a perfume I used to own called Perfection by Marks & Spencer! I only paid about £12 for 100ml bottle of Perfection and it smells exactly the same ;)

PLUMPIE

Sweaty generic vanilla type of scent on my chemistry- the scent reminds me of wet laundry which has been left too long in the machine before being hung out that cloying smelly musty kind of sweaty socks smell. I get the same from Belle D'opium as well. Have met others these both smell great on but not for me.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Nothing special at all! Hundreds of other perfumes smell just like this one - floral and generic.

hadassa
hadassa

So pleasant! Warm edible vanilla and the most natural citrus. I also feel a tea note, although there is no tea on the list of notes.

I used to have Cinema, but never repurchased because I find it very similar to JPG Classique (the style, not necessarily the notes) that I own, moreover, this sweet warmth is not 100% my thing, I just like to use it sometimes.

But as far as I see, YSL messes with the EDP concentration (there is only EDT on the official site). It means that I will probably buy an EDP bottle just in order to keep the magic in my closet.

I recommend to try this perfume to everyone, because it is very inoffensive, but interesting and very well mastered. It is not a love-hate perfume like, say, Angel or Hypnotic Poison. It is nice to people :)

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

Skin chemistry is a funny thing. I actually suspect it is more an issue of the microbes colonizing individual skins, which would change with an individual's health, age and hormonal status. As those factors change, the composition of the microbial population, the compounds they breakdown and metabolites they produce would change too. And different scents could be produced or intensified.

Which is a long way of introducing the fact that Cinema does not smell at all the way it should on my skin. The top notes are very citrusy and floral. No musk, no vanilla. Not bad...reminds me a little of Bijou. But the dry down! There is no escaping it: wintergreen paste. The thick white paste used in nursery school crafts. The kind little children like to eat. Not a bad smell, but not something I expected or want.

Arghhhh! I want what everyone else is smelling...

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

Opens very citrus/vanilla, and brighter than I expected. As it dries it becomes nearly identical to Jessica Simpson Fancy on my skin. Sweet, vanilla and jasmine are the main notes I smell. Cinema is very beautiful, and more floral than Fancy, but I couldn't justify the price of a full bottle of Cinema when I already had Fancy.

Platinum_girly
Platinum_girly

Really nice fragrance (probably the best from YSL)
I detect mainly white musk and some vanilla in the base notes, but it is much more subtley done than other fragrances and it smells more expensive somehow. I think it is one that is worth the money. I would class it as an oriental vanilla.

cocodust
cocodust

Hi,

I got this as a gift. I love it, it is warm and soft, milky and powdery. It really suits a cold, rainy day when you want a substantiating and comforting smell.

Initially there is an expensive and exotic floral smell which progresses to the warmer notes.

It is an elegant, glamorous, classy fragrance rather than girly or really young. I have had compliments from other women when I wear this but my husband doesn't like it-too heavy, sexy and dominating perhaps ;)

lucyreynolds81
lucyreynolds81

AMAZING!!! in my top 3 of all time :-)

amurka
amurka

Beautiful, but on someone else. I am getting terrible headace from it.

dinosgirl3
dinosgirl3

While there may be nothing about this perfume that screams "unique" or "masterpiece," it certainly is one that is beautiful and sexy in its own right. It's sweet, creamy, warm, powdery, fruity, flowery and a smidge bitter around the edges. But the whole melding of all the components is done to perfection. None are competing to dominate.

A light spritz of this one is all you need, the sillage and lasting power are exceptional; however, it is not cloying. It is just soft and very inviting.

Cinema has instantly become a favorite for me. Wearing it I feel feminine and classy, but with a naughty, sexy edge.

Pari88
Pari88

This is just delicious. Not much else to say. It's one of those fragrances that constantly reminds me of so many others. It's not unique at all, but it's sure as hell SEXY. Those who love "sunny" sweet fragrances (Armani Sensi, JPG Classique, Channel Allure, Armani Code, and so many more that slightly remind me of it) that are powdery, and slightly bitter, will absolutely love this! A classic that is super feminine and just plain ol' HOT! It's a great all rounder, just like the others mentioned. A staple in every woman's collection.
FYI: This smells nothing like Sensi, it has a very very small likeness to it, but is a completely different scent with a different feel.

mangocherry
mangocherry

This smell I like it because its unusual... sweet and a nutty. It really smelled a bit like toffee popcorn with a clean crisp edge on me and that sweet smell lasted on me personally for a really long time. I have to admit though there is an element in it that definately wouldnt be for everyone. I would say have a whiff before buying.

Migalex
Migalex

I do not find it unpleasant, just find it boring. I always had the feeling that it lacks something, that there should me more something, like it does not fully unfold, that I expect something more interesting to come out of it, I would say some lack of character and direction. Too plain. Out of line with the other YSL perfumes, usually with strong character. It is very similar to L'Instant Magique, but while I consider L'Instant Magique a very good perfume, I do not care for this one.

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

I really dislike this. Very cloying and when the smell disappears, you're left with a bog standard vanilla and something else I can't quite put my finger on.

ivan.vusurovic
ivan.vusurovic

if you can get hands on it-try the extrait!its much more "rounded"than the edt or edp!i smell bit of peper in extrait-is that possible?and BTW the gold edition of extrait is so beautyfull in massive"gold"(prob. some kind of brass)flacon that caries 15ml!divine!!!

QuiltFinger
QuiltFinger

Ugh. I can't stand this fragrance. I was in France when i was first subjected to this awful formuation. I received one of those complimentary samples with my purchase back when it came out in 2004. I sprayed it on, and geeze louise you can't get away from the stench.

I know that Cinema has many, many dedicated fans, but I am not one. The notes smell artifial and contrived like they were formulated in an International Flavors and Fragrances laboratory. To top it off, this one lasts, and lasts and lasts some more.

I would expect something better from YSL. I'd rather smell like my grandma with some good ol' Rive Gauche!

tsofa
tsofa

This perfume seems to be very elegant, chic and sophisticated. It’s very ‘luxurious’, rich and warm due to the white flowers note included, I can also get a little bit of its clementine scent. Vanilla note finally making it absolutely beautiful. For all these reasons I like it very much… But, only smelling it out of the bottle or on others!

Unfortunately it doesn't bring the same results on my skin, not smelling good at all, nor has long longevity. I’m not really a fan of Yves Saint Laurent perfumes, but this one was the only one I wanted to try for a long time. And it didn’t work.

Hopefully, I might have better luck with the other versions of Cinema. Crossed fingers!

Glamorous and sexy fragrance!

The most noticeable notes are the clementine, almond blossom, amaryllis, vanilla and amber notes. The clementine note really makes this fragrance radiant and alluring. And the floral notes are charming.

It smells warm enough and sweet. Sometimes even too sweet... But it's not too intensive fragrance.

I like this fragrance in the beginning of the opening more, when it's not too sweet. It can be very suitable as an evening fragrance:)

maneli.sarmadi
maneli.sarmadi

Such a dramatic perfume... amazing

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent is a very sentimental perfume for me. This is because at one time this perfume used to be my signature.

I received Cinema first time as a gift. I thought it was a brown, vanillary, soft-yet-harsh floral. I had never smelt anything like it. It was beyond extraordinary.

Over the next eight years, after smelling from Jacques Polge's pleasant yet admitted cash cow Coco Mademoiselle to the ghastly Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle, I forgot totally how Cinema smelt like.

Now, one a fine Sunday morning, when I remembered Cinema back again, I thought I might not like it again. Oh, silly me. I will never not like Cinema. It just has that grace that a lot of perfumes lack. It has a little bit of everything, a little bit of flowers, a little bit of creamy vanilla, and a little bit of orange. It is never all-over-the-place about anything.

Poor Cinema. I neglected you all these eight years. Welcome back to my wardrobe, Cinema.

romihi
romihi

I just found this perfume a while ago and it has definitely found a place in my top ten... Sexy, elegant, classic.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Vanilla and citrus at first; warm, sensual and quality scent. Amber keeps the suspense and mystery going and brings out warmer vanilla hues. It's a balance between warm and citrussy aromas. I don't find this to be just plain vanilla scent, but there's rather more to it than vanilla; flowers and benzoin add to the freshness and creaminess that enable vanilla/clementine/amber to shine little more than they do. I'm surprised there's no lotus listed, cause that is the flower I can positively identify here.
It's classy, nice, girly and lady-like type of a scent. Reminiscent of all of the previous mentioned, yup my nose has an excellent olfactory memory of its own.
Silage good, moderate in strength, for all the evening/night occasions, perfect for a date night out just as it's name suggests.
This will be 'the getter'!

AnnieSmith
AnnieSmith

a tiny bit to spicy for my liking but smells good on my skin when it settles. never had anything like it.
a nice one to try for those who want a not too strong, head-ache giving oriental.

claudia26
claudia26

It is very special, unique and very nice, fresh,day scent.

Kamaty
Kamaty

I readed many negative reviews about Cinema but it is chic,sexy, pleasant and good vanilla scent...i can't smell flowers on it and can't find some similarity whith JPG Classique that is awful flowers bouquet!!
Is great for evening out.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I like this one but the name seems all wrong for it.
It's not glamorous, sparkly or rich in any way.

The top is only slightly citrus and then it comes across as a fresh clean cotton scent through the heart and drydown.

I'd sum it up as a clean almond-vanilla amber.

Sillage seems good and lasting power is around 4 hours on me. Good for summer I think.

flowers_are_evil
flowers_are_evil

I remember testing it when it first came out (I was about 18) and thinking "wow, this is how a sophisticated woman should smell like"...

now, years later, I see nothing special in it - it's nice but not THAT nice, there are a lot of perfumes that smell much more unique and elegant.

missymary
missymary

Cinema is one of the few perfumes that I have found to be a waste of time.

The scent is just a vague weakly spiced generic and chemical vanilla. The nobbly bottle looks and feels somehow unpleasant, like pock-marked skin. The yellowy color is rather sallow and sickly.

I can't find anything about Cinema to like. I can't say I dislike it, it hasn't got enough character for that. Not what I'd expect from YSL, I like many of the others.

deenzy39
deenzy39

i love love love love love it !!! simply elegant & a head turner scent ;) wherever u go whenever u go ;) its really beautiful , i just bought it & i fell straight in love with it ! wooooooow! i give it 10/10 ;) !!!

Galya
Galya

new formula is a too light then first version that was really too strong to me...

justina84
justina84

I agree 100% with "Panda0410" - too flat, nothing distinguishing about it, doesn't develop much from top to bottom. A very big shame really as my expectations were set very high for this fragrance. And after I finally found it and tried it - what a disappointment...

panda0410
panda0410

Nice simple vanillic fragrance... and also one of the most boring vanilla based perfumes I've used. If you've not tried any of the others, then this might suit your style, but with so many other beautiful vanilla perfumes, Dior's Hypnotic Poison (and its flankers), or the beautiful and simply delectable, and far more interesting Hanae Mori (EDP) are much better choices. Cinema may well be a classic, but its far too "flat", a quiet perfume good for day or office wear - its far too inoffensive to upset anyone, but not nearly noticeable either.

PLUMPIE

Way too cloying and sweet - some sort of chemical vanilla note in this irritates me. The same note is in the new Belle De Opium which is also a disaster.

darrshanjvoraa

just bought my 3 rd bottle and my goodness i cant stop loving this, its a huge glamour with mind blowing pojection at the first spray , awesome sillage leaves a perfect trail after the wearer leaves the place , and also good longevity, all in all a must frm the house of ysl.

yes its cinema.

candymarie
candymarie

The resemblance to TROUBLE only lasts a few seconds, and then it's gone! But for those few seconds, I would have trouble telling them apart.

I kept thinking it reminded me strongly of something else I have, though, and it finally came to me: PRADA TENDRE. Has anyone else had the same thought? They both have a fresh oriental personality, with Cinema being sweeter with more prominent benzoin (maybe)?

I like it very much, sillage is excellent, longevity fantastic. But then again, I did over-apply, like I always do with everything. That's just how I roll.
:-)

Raquel73
Raquel73

It is sooo sweet and cream!!
I love Trouble Boucheron, and it is very very diferent.
Cinema sometimes give me nausseas and vomiting :-(

Hectaedrical
Hectaedrical

Such a great concept, but the pyramid is very predictible

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Such a feminine, elegant & classy frag. I love this one; I like to wear for special occasions. It's strong and spicy; so I guess it's not for everyone.

misskaylapaige
misskaylapaige

In my search for a lovely vanilla/powdery fragrance I bought this one.

unfortunately I'm not getting vanilla, but I'm getting something rather soapy...

The clementine note is VERY strong on my skin and sadly for me all citrus scents are my least favorite of all perfumes notes.

This perfume is pleasant, but wasn't what I was looking for. On to the next!

Sophie.love
Sophie.love

Hy.
This perfume is magical . Sweet , elegant , feminine . I'm addict to it . Lasting power ? About 5 hours on my skin , not so much , but it's ok . The name fits well with the fragrance '' Cinema '' . Wear it , and u feel just like a princess or like a movie-star . Positive vote .

AzraElle
AzraElle

I first came across the ad/sample in a magazine and knew I wanted it I got it for myself and it is my fancy perfume for special occasions, No one ever complimented me on it but I like the way it smells and thats what's important

pomdgf
pomdgf

This is a very very sweet fragrance. Perfect for dating with a cute guy.

fla
fla

Finest fragrance for me...It made and still makes me feel like a star! LOVE IT

polinkasuperova
polinkasuperova

lovely strong scent very sexy

LaPetite
LaPetite

I'm speaking of the EDT !
Sales! Sales! Sales! Oh my .... On this sales first day , i wasn't thinking of buying perfume , but i had to seize the opportunity ! Only 20€ for a 50ml EDT of Cinema <3 Definitely worth it !
I've been wanting it for so long !
This scent is classy indeed as its name may suggest , but it's not too formal either , you can wear it at the office as well as at the restaurant . But it's not too casual either !
The amber-vanilla combo makes me think of the one in Le Classique from Jean-Paul Gaulthier . And guess what ? The nose is the same for both perfumes ! Jacques Cavalier !
I'm surprised so many members voted for this frag , i didn't know it was that famous.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

As a true gourmand fragrance lover (especially luscious vanilla)I couldn't resist buying Cinema EdP today. This one just belongs to me...:-)

elenian

I update my review to tell you that last night i wore it i got plenty of compliments.Especially one of my friends couldn't take her noise of me lol! And a stranger girl asked me what i was wearing telling me its amazing how good did i smell. Proud owner of this masterpiece.Get ready for maaany compliments!!!

Cams
Cams

This is wonderful - the sensuous waft of tobacco is just plain clever in my view. This one is refined and feminine and just scrumptious.

Olefact
Olefact

Don't quite understand all the rave reviews, but judging by the number of reviews and variations of this perfume I'm guessing its pretty popular.No one seems to have mentioned the rum note but it's clearly there, or the perfume's likeness to Perlier's Caribbean Vanilla . I think it's okay, but a bit boozy for its name.

dontcallmyname
dontcallmyname

Mmmm...)) what I really love about this perfume is gentle smoke aroma creeping through the air of absolutely fantastic flower bunch! It's a sort of light, amazing thing just making me feel fine while and, yes, after smelling. Sounds in a really classical way. Guess there's no doubt which i want to wear on the New Year's party, rather than to the cinema - to other beautiful places out there!

fourseasons
fourseasons

May be it is a good perfume but it doesnt suit me at all. Just before two days I went to a perfumes shop and I smelled it. Sorry, it is just horrible / 3

darrshanjvoraa

just one word l o v e it. it will always be in my wardrobe.

krmarich
krmarich

I had to sample Cinema to find out if it continued the tradition of YSL. It did. Very graceful and flirty.

This wasnt Hollywood Cinema. More European intimate Cinema. Think of those smoky little theatres in the Latin Quarter offering the best art house classics. That is this type of starlet. Shes pretty, sensuos and you just cannot remember her name...

Creamy almonds in vanilla pudding. Throw in some jasmine and you find Cinema. The connection with Trouble is obvious-Jaques Cavalier created both in 2004. They are basically twin sisters with Cinema the extrovert.

carinas
carinas

I totally agree with Bandit. When I first got Cinema and tried it on, I was rushing to put Trouble on my other arm to compare, because first thing came to my mind : Hmmm, Cinema smells like Trouble. Yet when I compared them side to side, they were different the same way Bandit so perfectly described.

Bandit

Your review got me thinking, ksantipa, that's why I compare them side by side (Cinema and Trouble) now and still, there are flowers in Cinema, that I don't find in Trouble and citrus in Trouble, that is not there in Cinema. To my nose they differ that much, that I consider different moods, clothes and time for wearing each. They even evoke a different response in me: Cinema is colder than the overly warm and sensuous Trouble. If we go into more comparision: Trouble has parts of Absolu inside, which are lacking in Cinema. Cinema is more chic and modern, Trouble more cosy and mature. I personnally think, that I can distinguish between both even if worn by others.

I really find it surprising that anybody would think of both as smelling the same. Noses are really different.

I tend to Trouble as I never care too much for flowers, but Cinema is really beautiful and I will be buying a full bottle shortly.

rosecityfriend
rosecityfriend

Love how this goes on, but after ten minutes, it smells like a vanilla cigar. Too much tobacco for me.

nannaje

Bandit: To me they are almost the same - I find no citrus in Trouble and less flowers than you in Cinema. But yes, if you like Trouble, you probably like this one as well. It’s good that perfume is like art - you can make up your own mind and interpret the fume in your own way. Love that fact:)

BellissiMaya
BellissiMaya

My lil sister loves this perfume but this is nothing but offensive to me.. I can't stand it on myself.. :(

Bandit

No, it doesn't smell exactly like Trouble. They are similiar, but definitely not the same. Cinema is more flowery, harsher and has a more highpitched vanilla, whereas Trouble smells citrusy in the opening and has a smooth creamy vanilla in the drydown. If you are a fan of either of those, you should try the other one as well.

nannaje

Smells exactly like Boucheron’s Trouble, both introduced to the market in 2004. Hmmmm. Crazy similarity... The drydown is wonderful, but I am not loving the top notes at all.

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

Cinema is perfect for an evening out to a formal event. It's for an occasion when you want to feel glamorous, sexy, chic and sophisticated. Cinema is a rich, powdery, sultry floriental vanilla with quite a noticeable tobacco note (which is not listed in Fragrantica's notes, but I think should be!) To my nose the slightly bitter citrus (clementine) was prominent in the opening, then the warm, sweet, vanilla tobacco dominated the drydown. Great sillage and longevity - lasted 5-6 hours on my skin. Cinema is larger than life...it's dramatic, for sure! This is a powerful perfume, so don't overdo it!

scentsohigh
scentsohigh

I MUST say that the smell of this perfume is very ladylike and elegant! sexy too! my aunt actually suggest this to me and i thought that it was the most sensual and sexy yet not too revealing about this perfume.it is like somehow you're keeping a secret that everybody wants to know!

D A V A R I

کاملا زنانه و گیرا
مناسب هوای سرد

debgrae
debgrae

Cinema was a stop on my search for a different perfume with vanilla that didn't bother my allergies. It was a VERY QUICK stop and then a "haul ass" away. I'm amazed and shocked that many reviews call this soft - one small spray on my wrist, wait for 1/2 hour and I had to finally wash it off with water. The next two hours brought out a pretty scent that lasted, but no way can I get through the top notes of bug spray. I have about five sprays of my sample left. Which I will use by spraying, washing off, and then enjoy the spicy vanilla that's left.... eek... that's a lot to go through for spicy vanilla!

SensualistGeek
SensualistGeek

Wonderful. There certainly is a bit of tobacco in here... but perhaps more of a patchouli tobacco than pipe? I was actually surprised to see there isn't patchouli listed in the notes. To my nose Cinema is a lighter, sweeter, honey-fied Dior Midnight Poison.

10jflow
10jflow

Very pleasant, if somewhat pedestrian. Could see this gettting very boring if it was worn often, but might be the perfect thing for a cold day every one in a while. I wish it was just a tiny bit more complex.

cyber861
cyber861

بوش شیرین و گرمی داره.یه چیزی تو مایه های قند .به نظرم اذیت میکنه برای خانم ها.پخشه بو هم نداره

nooory
nooory

If you take out the clementine note, this might be one of my favorites.
I got this as a gift, i really like it, but it's definitely not something i'd wear due to this mandarin/clementine/orange kind of note, which gives perfumes a bitter-sweet fruity note which i can't stand.
I use this to mist my washed sheets before i put them in the cupboard, because i just ADORE the dry down of this! it's sweet yet really sophisticated.

elenian

How much i LOVE this fragrance. To me it means sexy, elegant, unforgettable woman's scent. It wraps me with a sweet vanilla in a winter day loving its great sillage and love getting compliments from my people.

Also, with one spritz its a great choice for work.So classy and elegant. An all time classic and a secure choice when i'm wondering, ''what i'll wear this time''?

Highly recommend.

Bien merci YSL...

EdP - Wonderful. I think this is a lighter version of Le Baiser Du Dragon-Cartier. Great softwarmspicy scent with great flowers and vanilla, that sorrounds you. This scent is not loud but it's there for several hours. For everyday use or party. I love perfumes there some spices is added, it gives the scents great character.

EdP - i mitt tycke en lättare variant av Le Baiser Du Dragon-Cartier. Härligt mjukvarmkryddig doft med härliga blomnoter och vanilj som genomgående ton. Den är inte stark men detta är en doft som finns där runt dig för många timmar. Funkar lika bra som varje-dag-doft som för party. Jag gillar att man stänker i en aning kryddighet i parfymer - det ger en härlig karaktär.

whiten

I just tried it the other day and wow! such a soft,pretty sweet scent! I was expecting something louder,bitter heavier from the name and the popularity of it, I was intimidated I guess. but now, wow I thought it was so soft and sweet. not a bold woman with red nails and high heels(there's nothing wrong with red nails and high heels of course;)) as I expected, but a shy sweet lady!! loving it,and can't wait to try it again.
p.s. I tried again, and detected more almond notes this time. even kinda reminded me of burberry brit,which I didn't like much, but it is still very,very nice. some more vanilla with a touch of honey (though I still think there's some honey or honey-like quality in it! seriously!! no?) would make this even more stunning, my humble opinion.
p.s.2: I got it I love it. so soft so comfy so beautiful. all those balloons mean you agree I guess?? :D

TDPinAUX
TDPinAUX

I could drink this instead of water. I got given this by somone and whenever i wore it i got complimented. The only perfume ive ever had that with. the scent is stunning, not just ordinary. 10/10!

lolopet
lolopet

I'm loving this for Spring days right now - the weather is still so changeable, cold mornings and nights with the sun popping out every so often. The florals match the blossoms coming out but the smokiness and vanilla keeps it cosy. Current fave.

princess27
princess27

sexy sweet classy type of perfume!
works in the day&night too
goes perfect with a little black dress and some high heels !

Norgirl
Norgirl

Lik this one very much , soft vanilla almond notes lingers to mix whit the citrus and flowers. I cant say that i can pick the flowers apart..
I must say that the almond is a little anoing to me a bit to much Marchipan in away. But that settles fast luckely..
but i wish this would stay longer on my skin.. Onme this last just for a breaf hour or so.. I must re test a bit later one , i cant understand that this fades so fast..so many talking about the good staying power..
Well maybe my nose is off this week..

Nice but maybe not all that .. I tend to wish for more in line off The one this days . maybe i should just stick to that one for some time..:)

Annelien1987

Second review. I love this stuff so much, so classy but in a non - rose/old fashioned carnation way. It's sweet vanilla with beautiful flowers. Amazing lasting power on me. Lovely name and the bottle is beautiful!

SheShe
SheShe

I'm into floral-orientals and spicy orientals the most. I had a bottle of Cinema edp and sold it because I got a bit bored but I left myself about 10 ml sample.

I do admit the scent is great, especially for cold days. It brings a good humour instantly. When you feel ugly and have bad day, it will lift your mood and you'll feel prettier and better looking than you felt a moment before :)

Clementine here is perfect and it definitely goes ahead all notes. It gives a shiny, sparkling feeling. The scent is strong, sweet and cosy but it's sweetness in a good measure. It's warm gold.

The bottle looks great and lasting power is very good.
Actually I sold it because notes didn't change much on me but I have the sample to recall and to wear in winter.

P.S. So winter is close and I fell in love with Cinema edp again. Not much going on but it's such a great fragrance!

miriel
miriel

I just tested it and I'm overexcited!
I'm not a huge fan of florals in general (I'm more the oriental-vanilla type) but this one really spoke to me.
A very soft, classy, gentle floral perfume. Sweet but fresh at the same time. Sillage and longevity are pretty good on me.
It went at the top of my want list immediately. It's suitable for every age in my opinion and it's easily wearable.
Great!!
Edit. It's one of the few perfumes I prefer in the EDT version.

stelladoro
stelladoro

Some perfumes don't register with me. It's merely a vague powdery generic aroma that has no prescence on me. Very forgettable, not a good fit for me.

mandashell
mandashell

Edp Review: This is a nice floral and lemony vanilla combo that isn't terribly sweet but I didn't find it terribly interesting. Guess some would describe it as classic but it is rather simple and not as complex and/or glam as some may make it out to be. I was curious about Cinema for some time and when I finally received it in a swap I realized that it was just a more lasting and stronger version of S by Shakira( like S even less). So I was slightly disappointed. If I'd made that connection sooner then some other lucky perfumista could have been the recipient. Oh well. o.O

Anyway, Like others I enjoyed it initially but the notes fell flat and the tobacco like scent took over. The base notes are too heavy and give a scent that started out as mildly sweet, sleek and tart and turn it into something rather musty and stale. Cinema was also a tad too floral for me and not as sweet as I'd hoped but that is just the gourmand lover in me, lol. The lasting power was decent on my skin, roughly 6hrs and the projection was nice.

Despite my overall displeasure with it, I can see this being worn to the office or just about anywhere. It's less red-carpet-glam and more trip-to-the-mall or dinner-with-friends. The reviews are so varied with this one that I'd definitely recommend you testing Cinema before investing in a full bottle.

burcu76
burcu76

very nice very vintage.. I like vintage parfums... makes me feel like very sexy. i wear it in the summer and had many compliments. but every scent smells different on every person. on me the sweet oriental floral parfums smell good. with a little bit of vintage style.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

At first this smells amazing - like powdery vanilla - which I love.
But after a while the shit hits the fan and it becomes a 100 % tobacco scent, just like smokers smell. Horrific, and OH so sad.

porscha69
porscha69

Not as favourite of mine, I found it to be too strong and almost like a mans aftershave. It smelt a bit like a cinnamon donut, okay for winter but too strong for the warmer months..

jasmasid
jasmasid

On my skin, this is very similar to Demi-Jour. Check it out if you can find it.

meret

Amazing... I wish I could get the soft creamy sweetness out of it! On my skin it's sharp. Sharp and bitter. :'( Awaiting for winter to try it on again.

Edit:
Oh, gosh! I've got the EdT, and found a notes list saying: Mimosa, White Peony, Amber. Yup.. now I know why is it as conflicting to my nose as it is. Should have gone for EdP!

Why on earth they produce liquids under the same name but with a completely different character?! :(

tubita
tubita

Cinema is a very classy and creamy perfume. It lasts long enough. I think this is the best perfume from YSL home. I will definetely buy one for me one for mom.

Marimer
Marimer

I bought it blind based on the reviews,it was a promising vanilla, but it was too much oriental for me. Yes, it`s classy, but on me its smoky tobacco, spicy flowers with a hint of sweetness, staying very close to skin and with lasting power of just 2 hours. Not bad,but couldn´t get any vanilla on me.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

After reading so many gushing reviews about Cinema, I was very happy to have the chance to test it for myself yesterday in a department store. I wasn't looking for it but happened to notice the bottle glinting so I had to give it a try! I was expecting an incredible fragrance but what spritzed onto my wrist was actually, in my opinion, just a nice but relatively ordinary, unspectacular scent.

The words which have been bandied about here to describe it - intoxicating, rich, opulent, heady, splendid - didn't exactly spring into my mind on smelling it! To me it smelled very 'middle of the road' - i.e. quite soft, inoffensive, slightly floral, slightly fruity, a little sweet (nowhere near as gourmand sweet as some reviewers here have described though - to me that would be a perfume like Hard Candy!). It was nice but nothing earth shattering. Also, on me the staying power was poor - barely 5 hours - and for a designer perfume in this kind of price range I would expect much better than that. So, to me this perfume is incredibly overrated and is just an (overpriced) everyday, inoffensive, non-attention catching perfume. The only attention grabbing thing about it is the bottle, which is very pretty and glimmery but I wouldn't pay £60.00+ for a relatively ordinary perfume just because it came in a nice bottle! I really don't get all the rave reviews about this perfume. Must be the power of persuasion!!

meret

After reading the reviews I just had to go out and try it. And then after a day or two I was mesmerized.. and somewhat obsessed with this fragrance. I just had to have it!

And now it's on my desk, a drop or two on my skin, and I'm feeling.. intimidated. Yup, that's the word. The perfume seems bigger than me, stronger than me and I'm having doubts whether I'd be able to "own" it some day. Ever? Don't know that yet, but at least I've got a lifetime to tame it. Drop after drop, event after event.

Truth is, it is a beatiful perfume - earnest, feminine, abundant.. probably perfect for a tall gorgeous lady - you know the invincible snow queen type of woman who wouldn't take no for an answer. Sparkling, seamless, impeccable, wearing gracefully her shining armor (and masking herself with it). Trouble is that it feels also heavy, powerful, linear, somewhat synthetic, even annoying. For a petite lady as I am.. that can be a problem.

But worst of all - it's sharp. Would have excpected anyhing, all of the above (and below) -- yes, but not this stinging sharpness. Can't feel any softness in it, there's no sweetness or vulnerability (regarding or regardless of vanilla or musk. Is it there at all???). Not a breezy kind of scent in this glamorous bottle... and I miss that. A lot.

PS. Regardless of the fact that I would have expected it to possess the delicate, soft side of femininity (at least to certain extent), and I would have appreciated the "barely there, yet so unmistakably there" sort of presence more than this officially triumphant mask... I'm still not giving up on it. I do hope that it'll reveal it's sparkling, gorgeous and tender side to me. Perhaps in winter? Perhaps while wearing an evening gown?? Perhaps on a date???

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

Not too my personal taste, too heavy and damp

What is good though, is projection for first 3-4 hours is immense and it will flood the room

Longeveity after that is ok

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Opulent is the perfect word for this richly sweet fragrance. It's never toothache sweet, it is just dominated by the deep scent of almond blossom. In the middle stages jasmine swirls in and out as it fades down to a powdery vanilla. This makes me think less of old Hollywood and more of a 20s blues club, with a haze of smoke, Shalimar and ladies face powder. This is old school glamour. Though I would classify this as an oriental vanilla rather than floral.

Roma27
Roma27

Just bought it & it's so beautifully well rounded. Not too sweet but just right. Makes me want to shout from the rooftop " I'm in inlove!" Amazing!!!

arjonabello
arjonabello

I love it...

Annelien1987

Great perfume, very sweet but with a bit of creamy vanilla on top. I never paid attention to this perfume until I saw it on this website.

egd
egd

This is my favourite perfume. I saw it internet about 2 years ago and i started to thinking how it smells? It really smells cinema or what? Then went to shop and tried it and i love it and bought it.
When you smell it you feel sparkles. Just close you eyes and think warm summer night, stars and cinema... I think that is the cinema.
I use it day and night, summer and winter. I can say it is great for summer night.

jrova
jrova

On my top 10 list. Its a creamy ,soft yet warm and smooth luscious vanilla with a hint of spic. And not the cheap cloying vanilla scents out there. This one is Glamorous and feminine. Fit for a classy girl.

NaQueen
NaQueen

In the winter, Cinema wraps it's arms around me and keeps me warm. Deep & smoothly invitng. I'm 30 now and have worn this for years. One of my most loved...

theconnection
theconnection

A great modern woody-oriental for over 35's women- simply because such a sophisticated scent deserves the same in it's wearer - sophistication.

The Eau De Parfum version is the only version worth considering as the higher concentration of olefactory ingredients allows this scent to reveal it's immense creamy depth & granduer.

I loved it the first time I purchased it for my mother in 2004 & I still love it's honesty today.

Glamorous for all evening events.

marymargret
marymargret

A sweet and creamy vanilla, almost like vanilla fudge. Nice, a proper gourmand fragrance, pretty anonymous. Nothing glamorous here, IMHO. Neither beautiful nor smart. Just tasty.
Wear it if you want to pass unnoticed. It's subtle and office friendly enough.
I think the whole idea behind the cinematic concept was not the glamour on the red carpet, but the candy bag at the movie theater.

midnightsun
midnightsun

the beginning is amazing ! so much like the opening of GIVENCHY HOT COTURE. but after 15 min. it turned out to smell like sickning sweet compact powder !!! i didn't like the dry down. may be it smells better in winter ;)

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

A very classy and rich perfume. Floriental Vanilla to my nose out of the bottle and that is the characteristic it reveals on my skin as well. A pretty floral concoction highlighted by a most exquisite creamy vanilla. If you have the money for it, don't hesitate to add this gem to your collection.

rheea oana
rheea oana

I always thought that Oriental meant sweet and I always had this preconception that YSL is a heavy, intoxicating fragrance so I never ever tested it!
So imagine my surprise when I first smelled this and thought " What smells so good? I know this, I'm sure!" It's YSL-was the response. Say what? No, YSL is an oriental it must smell heavier, I said! But how, what? I'm perplexed it has vanilla! Nope not even a hint of it! This is classic, elegant feminine, floral! Not sweet vanilla and basta. It has flowers and depth and it's light and somewhat airy breezy and , oh I hate this word , fresh !
I mostly get an orangy peony and amber ( the latter which I absolutely adore)! The vanilla adds I think more roundness to the elements, helping the florals blend so well!Rich resiny base to support the other scents!
It is indeed an opulent scent, but tastefully done!To summarize -LIQUID GOLD!

ANSD
ANSD

CINÈMA is the signature fragrance of one of my best friends, I like it so much, because it smells so sweet and so creamy, and it lasts forever and a day. I think that, after OPIUM, Cinéma is one of the best creations from YSL!!!

lucifera
lucifera

yes a gorgeous vanilla! an SA told me that the EDP wasn't a strong scent, but i have my doubts :p on my wrist it lasted quite a while, i love it

mystica
mystica

Wait a minute, this is Charlie Gold... Really, I was thinking which fragrance does this one resemble since its launch and my first try. After my second try upon smelling it on a stranger I'm pretty much sure that YSL Cinema is so ordinary smelling and quite similar to Charlie Gold which existed long before it.

narcissi
narcissi

I bought it with very very very high expectations, as the brand and the bottle redefine classy and elegant. I expected good sillage and lasting if not lingering fragrance on my skin. But sadly it does not last, like zero/zilch... and has me running back to alien, which lasts for days...
The smell is good and all, but a good smell can be purchased from any store of any random brand, what defines a good perfume is how long it lasts and how different notes open up...

zozo
zozo

it,s very nice EDT for me i had a hot momooo with my couple in the winter of lebanon .this frag. was my asecond couple in this trip. i like it and ilove it. the name not cinema but love in winter.

hellogoddag
hellogoddag

Very sweet delicate feminine scent.
Attention-getter for sure.
I kinda get why it's called Cinema

Tonya

All I can smell is a very strong tobacco smell.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

Starts out very floral and a bit sharp, then quickly transorms into vanilla (vaguely reminiscent of Kenzo Amour). I didn't like it.

suile
suile

Two different YSL reps in two different stores mentioned to me yesterday that this one is going to be discontinued soon, so all its fans might need to stock up, if this is true.

mhho
mhho

i bought cinema 4 years ago, it was my favorite , but now it make me feel sick

florabella
florabella

This fragrance has become a favorite of mine, mostly worn in the cooler weather. I find it comforting and cozy with a bit of sexiness thrown in. As the weather warms up I find that I don't reach for it as often, but I love it just the same.

Pierina
Pierina

Im going to give Cinema another chance.. I bought it a few years ago in a gift set for my birthday. It was my 'fancy going out perfume', I would use the wash and lotion and perfume and feel very hollywood and fancy and pampered and that was all in all enjoyable.
Then my colleague (aged 40ish) started wearing it to work - every.day! she was also a smoker, would sneak out for a fag then hose herself in my fancy going out smelly stuff!
HmmF! I went off it after that. She quit. :)
Reading these nice reviews here has encouraged me to revisit.
Tahnks ladies and of course Fragrantica!

omneya.iskander
omneya.iskander

Smells like air freshner, or a perfume for old woman I got a big bottel and had to get rid of it right now.

usually most of perfumes smells good on my skin, but this one was very bad.

I have never been disspointed in a perfume as I felt with this one.

Glamourcide
Glamourcide

I have to thank Fragrantica for giving me the heads-up on Cinema. A friend owned a bottle years and years ago, but she wore Dior on a daily basis so I don't know if I ever got a chance to smell Cinema. I've seen it around, and just never tried it (I think I'm turned off YSL by the fact that I truly despise Paris and Baby Doll), but while browsing recommendations for vanilla fragrances here, I saw Cinema mentioned a couple of times and decided to give it a go.

And aren't I glad I did! I'm barely getting any floral notes - it's pure, smooth, sweet, sexy vanilla on my skin. Just dreamy. I'll try it a couple more times before buying just to make sure, but THANK YOU Fragrantica for pointing me in the direction of this delicious fragrance! I'm madly in love with all things vanilla, and it sure doesn't hurt that the bottle is gorgeous ;)

etmpewo
etmpewo

I really don't understand this...
I have never liked (and still have problems) with many fragrances containing vanilla.

But now... I love this one!!!

I think it could be family, maybe a sister, to Hypnotic Poison from Dior. One of those other fragrances with vanilla I actually like a lot.

I have the Parfum, which is captured in a beautiful golden bottle. Eat your hearts out ;-)

majeed1973
majeed1973

My Wife did love it too much.

Vixie
Vixie

This one seems to hold much promise, but the depth is overpowered by the sweetness of the vanilla, an unfortunate thing since there are hints of spice and flowers that fail to materialise. I found this scent far to sweet and heady, on and off of skin. It does settle after an hour or two, to a more powdery fragrance, but still the topnotes remain feeble under the weight of the asphyxiating vanilla. A reformulation here would have a most appreciable effect.

olga1780
olga1780

My lovely discovery thanks to Fragrantica members and a permanent part of my collection. Don't want to go in circles talking about something that has already been said, just want to say that it is a splendid fragrance.
But I do not consider it extremely powerful. Yes it's noticeable for hours but it is not one of those fragrances when 3 sprays are one too many.

By the way, the summer version is another beauty!

Gigifst
Gigifst

I need to buy it...i'm so in love with this one. I suppose i'm a gourmand but this one is soooooo something! Mature, sensual, and it has something really special that i cant explain.

This is one option for my wedding day, but i cant make my mind between this one and Lolita Lempicka L.
Maybe its the vanilla, i love vanilla.

Rosellini-in-love
Rosellini-in-love

This is beautiful, used sparingly. Warm sweet & powerful. I love the smell that occurs after sitting for a day on clothing, it turns creamy sweet & feminine with just the right amount of strength, but too much and you smell as though you have bathed in evaporated milk, vanilla sugar and nutmeg!?!
Lasting power is incomparable!

adrienn99
adrienn99

ihave and like them both, i would say they are a little similar but oh la la is a lot thicker. Cinema is more on the flower/soapy side.

malia
malia

I ADORE this perfume!!! Delicious luxury scent!! I feel very feminine and irresistable wearing Cinema. Very happy i've bought it. It's amazing!

Lovable Amy
Lovable Amy

This perfume doesn't smell classic, IT'S CLASSY. Smell like a MONEY and rich people. :p

Lotofire
Lotofire

Its becoming quite dumb to see other people saying ¨this is intended for men¨ ¨this is intended for women¨ get over it let everybody wear whatever they feel like to wear, labels are absurd...i have got many complimments with fragrances like black orchid voile de de fleur, extraordinary, midnight poison,etc. that for me that stupid boundary is so passé

simonebel
simonebel

It's a very elegant, classic fragrance and it's not for girls.
This scent, with almond, vanilla and soft florals reminds me a vanilla cake!!! :P

twillocks
twillocks

Sorry, but I cannot see a man wearing this. I love the spicy scent and the feel it gives me. But I wouldn't want my husband to wear it.

flowersandcandy
flowersandcandy

Very grown up scent.Elegant,warm and serious.Beautifull never the less.I recommend it for formal functions and evenings out.

MMC
MMC

Reconheço que é um perfume elegante,mas na minha pele é muito pesado e me deu dor de cabeça.Percebí que todos os YSL que conheci me fazem sentir mau.

nancinha
nancinha

Love this warm sophisticated scent! I got the 35ml. bottle (it was right before Christmas so it was the only size left...actually, it was the only bottle left) and it cost approximately 40 euros. I can't remember the exact price because I was too ecstatic to care...it's a little bit expensive, but worth it. Imagine candied orange peel and vanilla icing layered on top of a white cake with just a hint of pure almond extract... that's what it smells like to me.

It's definitely a glamorous scent, perfect for the Fall/Winter months, but honestly, I would wear it during the warmer months as well. Cinéma is a cozy fragrance but sexy and romantic at the same time... I recommend it for a special night out, preferably ending the evening in front of a fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate...or a glass of Port wine, depending on your taste :)

Lady Love
Lady Love

I'm always complimented with this scent on. The scent really does match the name as I feel like a glamorous Diva.

I can detect amber, smokey vanilla and almond bloosom. It is a lovely fragrance that I find it fresh and classy at the same time.

aseedat
aseedat

i first fell in love with this fragrance when i walked through a perfume store, yes the packaging was attractive, but something in the way the fragrance developed on my skin made me return for a second look.

It's a rather strange one to unravel, it's typical in some respects having the vanilla accord and complimentary sweet notes to match, but more has to do with the way it makes you feel than its (somewhat generic) composition, and here as a hardened critic i rate this very highly.

Cinema exudes sophistication and playfulness (which is not easy to achieve), more than red carpet glam of the stars it reminds me of tales my grandma told me of her days when she got dressed up to watch the weeks new movie - think velvety red rouge, suede coats, and patent stiletto's.... that's what Cinema reminds me of and a must have if you adore getting dressed up (even if there's nowhere to go).

mjb28
mjb28

This is an elegant,lovely sweet balanced perfume with a noteworthy blend of vanilla spicy oriental notes and luminous floral accords with a touch of soft powder. It is a sensual and adventurous fragrance, with an intense character. Surprisingly reveals its beauty and inner star as minutes goes by. The drydown is cozy soft and lingering, very feminine and very sophisticated just the way I like in a perfume. It is great for day to day or evening wear. You only need a small amount of the scent and it lasts all day. I'm really impressed! What's more? The golden bottle is artistically glamourous and classy just like its scent! One of the best creation of YSL. It's too hard to resist not buying it! I absolutely adore this perfume!!!

krishka
krishka

Gorgeous , glamorous, evening scent! Soft, but interesting, sophisticated and elegant.

The sweetness is well balanced and doesn't make me sick. In a way it is very European scent different from most American "clean scents" .....I think this frag is fantastic!

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

This fragrance just breathes Red Carpet Event to me. wonderfully warm and sensual and, while sweeter than many of my others, perfect for ocassions of evening elegance, glamour and flirtation. The musk and vanilla base notes waft alluringly with the promise of secrets to be revealed. The amber provides a hint of dark mystery.

nayapi22
nayapi22

Madre mia!!!!!!!! Este perfume es exquisito!. Lo probe por casualidad cuando buscaba un perfume para mi mama. Estaba en descuento asi que decidi darle una probadita, y cuando oli esa maravilla no pude despegar la nariz de mimuñeca. Tiene un olor como a miel!! es sexy, elegante y maravilloso. Lo recomiendo muchisimo

lm431
lm431

A lovely warm comforting winter perfume, and the first bottle of perfume I have gone back to and bought a second bottle.

A lovely sweet, oriental floral. Really like the almond blossom and vanilla notes.

I think it is a perfume that can suit any age, I've been wearing this one since I was 15, and it regularly receives compliments.

Sadly, just pipped to the post as favourite by NR For Her EDT, all the same, a staple, and as long as they make this I think I will always have a bottle.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

Ahhh yes ,Cinema , a warm soft spot to land is what it reminds me of. I say its Boucheron Trouble minus the lemon and maybe more subdued. It deserves all of the wonderful reviews it receives. I dont see it as GLAM but rather a sensual , creamy elegance. Its a grown up parfum but never old maid-ish. I see this being worn to a cocktail party , a charity event and for romance. Its elegant and a speck spicy. A vanilla blanket enveloping you , I dont smell the almonds and dont like powdery but this is a touch of powder and it is fine by me. Wonderful , timeless and intoxicating. One of my top fives. Please try !

wonderland
wonderland

I see that some complain about the scent not staying on too long. For me it is one of few perfumes I have tried that doesn't disappoint me when it comes to longevity.

Cinema is one of my absolute favorites, it is a spicy warm fragrance with a hint of woody vanilla and peony without becoming too sweet. This lovely scent has made many people asking me what I am wearing. Quite sensual and is more French cinema than anything.

If you prefer a more "mature" spiced scent without becoming heavy, this is perfect I think. On my skin it is more oriental than floral. Definitively a autumn/winter perfume and most suited evenings.

RoRoSe
RoRoSe

my signture ,, am using my 3rd bottle of thiS :)
it's amaizing ,, young elegant SEXY luxury and noticable ..
with long lasting power..
it express my personality in a great way :)

txlavender
txlavender

This is a very formal fragrance. But it stays too sweet and heavy on my skin. I just can't wear it.

TankGirl
TankGirl

Cinema is definalty a perfume for a younger audience, to be honest I think this is a well made version of all those celebrity perfumes targeted for teenagers.
On my skin Cinema opens with a vanilla cake, with a veil of bergamot and a almond base. Until here nothing special or unique, but really funny and lovely.
The drydown stills in the same young mood, with the peony taking the front lead now in the composition. The lasting power of the heart is incredible.
The drydown is sweet and lovelyjovely, I get a girly skin scents, with the vanilla, musk and a light peony.
I think Cinema is a nice oriental vanilla, its not unique at all, and as I said I think is more appropriated to a younger audition. This perfume kind of lacks in maturity and thats why its so easy to get tired of this scent.
This time YSL was not so good, Cinema is a sweet spoiled vanilla girl, whithout personality or something to say.
I like it but I dont find it nothing special.

hollycat
hollycat

"Let them eat cake" is the famous phrase that comes to mind when smelling cinema. On my skin this perfume smells like a vanilla pound cake smeared with orange-creme frosting.

I dont get the reference to all thats glitz and glam of the Cinema. But if you want to enjoy smelling edible and cakeish. Try Cinema.

Talula
Talula

Cinema is my special occasion fragrance - love wearing it, it makes me feel special.

Cereza
Cereza

This is review for EDP.

Somehow I expected more from "Cinema" - something glamourous and sensual, but I don't get any of this. What do I get?

It opens with burst of clementine, somehow remind of some kind of air refreshnerer. It moves to it's heart part, where I get sweet and gentle jasmine with sourness of peony and still the same clementine.

I find this perfume very soapy which is not what I expect from something "oriental" and named "Cinema". It smells like expensive soap, so I can't find this appealing.

This, on the other hand, could be a great summertime office scent - not offensive, very shy, stays close to skin and so on.

Nothing sexy and diva like.

Thanks to catbiscuit, I am finally able to give YSL CINEMA edp a proper sniffing, in all its liquidity.

I do believe that there is a touch of FLOWER powder here, but CINEMA is warmer, creamier, and more oriental to my nose. This is not so much clean diapers, in the end, as it is a kind of lightly spiced but barely sweet rice pudding. Not quite sweet and spicy enough to eat, the experience is more akin to sitting under a thick, warm and cozy white down comforter on a frozen day while almond cookies are baking off in the distance.

I like CINEMA, but it's more comforting than glamorous to me.

RoRoti
RoRoti

Cinema is very gentle ,, I use it in my special moments ,, sooo sexY and high class perfum .. <3

Contessa01
Contessa01

This is quite a contradictory fragrance and had me puzzled for a while. Basically one the one hand it is a creamy classic floral oriental- rich, warm and cozy. But on the other hand it is a light and fresh floral and very herbal fragrance. Very unique and very beautiful. It smells rich, classy and elegant.

Janina
Janina

I keep on wondering how could anyone describe Cinema as heavy or even cloying. In my opinion Cinema is very quiet, gentle, both fresh in a clean kind of way (not soapy) and pleasantly warm scent, which achieves both: a good but discrete silage as well as a good longevity. Personally I use any perfume as a kind of an "accessorize" only to fine tune my own style, mood, maybe sometimes as a little way to express myself. And I find Cinema absolutely perfect for this!

Passionflower
Passionflower

I love this scent, it's very feminine and distinct. Quite heavy, I would wear it to a nice dinner or special occasion in the evening. It's for strong confident women I think, not for very young girlies. I guess one either loves it or one doesn't, there's not much room for doubt here. Cinema is extremely long lasting, and stays smelling pleasant all the way through. To me it's a classic, but one I'll thoughtfully use when it suits my mood or the situation I'm in.

alicektn
alicektn

Wonderful blend of notes. Every time I use it, I like it more and more. The benzoin is very prominent on my skin, along with almond blossom. There is also a moist flower smell, very interesting and pretty. I just googled amaryllis and i discovered that it is actually one of my favorite flowers, which my mother used to plant in our garden! This is the flower note.

Comforting, delicate and soft, with an embracing warmth!

YSL CINEMA reminds me of a few different perfumes, mostly Kenzo FLOWER, but a kind of mixture of several recent releases, including Guerlain L'INSTANT MAGIQUE.

CINEMA is pleasant, sweet and powdery, but still fresh in that clean-diaper way. I am sure that I could wear this fragrance, if I had a bottle, but, on the other hand, I'm not really moved by this skimpy towelette sample (note to perfumers: it's not quite as bad as paper magazine powder "samples", but entirely inadequate to judge the suitability of a scent on one's skin) to make an acquisition.

I'll give CINEMA another chance, should I happen someday somewhere upon a sufficiently generous liquid sample...

Cinema has been a favorite of mine from the moment it was released! I got sooo many compliments on this one. A women behind the counter in a store even took the time to tell me what an AMAZING perfume I was wearing. In some respects I found Cinema a perfume that started a new kind of fragranceline, sensual & exotic in some way, with the almond blossom. It is a genius perfume from Cavallier, that took this concept to Cavalli and made for them Serpentine!
;-)

applemint
applemint

Cinema reminds me of a mix of Bvlgari's Au The Rouge and Fred Hayman's Hollywood.
It doesn't seem to have strong enough staying power. In 15 minutes I'm left with a subtle veil of vanilla and light spices on my skin. It's just too light and not sutisfying. It doesn't seem very complex to me. I guess it's just not my style...back to the leather, smoke and powder O:

Sissi
Sissi

With one purchase of Y.S.L Cinema and in
return takes you to a world of the highest
Echelons of Glamour where Gods and Goddeses rule the silver screen irreproachable divas in exclusive suites
made of finest marble & gold flowers of
Calla white Pomeranians tip toe across
the bed and servants wait on you hand
and foot ala Sophia Loren or Cate Blanchet or male actors like Mastroianni
or George Clooney driving Lamborghinis
though Roman Plazzos or going to an exclusive and Elegant restaurants drinking Martini and wearing Armani or
Dolce & Gabbana while the Paparazzi
hounds waits outside.

But what does this picture smells like?
the top note starts very sweet with an
sugar note then dries to an nutty note
of almond blossom then the flowery hypnotic scent of peony in it's beauty,
and an curious little flower Amaryllis an delicate floral makes it more feminine jasmine drifts quietly in the background and the ending performance
dries exquisitely with warm amber
musk with it animalistic undertones
and the ending of the show is the powdery texture of Vanilla.

nyoka
nyoka

This is an elegant fume.Ive never smelled clementines so real smelling as in this.A purple one!And the grand tall(red0 amaryllis like my mother used to grow is the perfect partner.Its not overpowering but,You know its there for a good long while.I detect a hint of pink pepper tho and,its not listed on the notes.In the4 final phase,the musk smells like no other musk ive smelled.Either its very expensive musk or maybe white musk,either way its a beautiful ending to a beautiful scent.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Wow, what a suprise. I was not expecting such a warm vanilla genie to come out of this bottle.

I must admit that the immediate top notes are my least favourite part of the perfume - pure lemon juice - but after a couple of minutes, it blends softy into a softer citrus floral. Slightly peculiar, like a bouquet of white flowers dipped in sweet orange juice.

I like how YSL has let each of the heart notes of this perfume out to have thier time to shine in the sun. Every time you sniff, it comes up with a different floral. I can't really discern which exact flowers I am picking up (they don't smell like the ones you find on bushes) but ultimately that isn't important. They all smell novel & individual. And they hold that soft citrus undertone for a long time, adding a unique tart note.

After about an hour this perfume is all about the vanilla. A powdery, sexy vanilla. I am sure the amber, musk & benzoins are playing terrific supporting roles but vanilla is the true star here.

This doesn't remind me of the harsh vicious world of Hollywood at all. It is so sweet yet balanced, calm & confident. So softly sexy.

I must have one IMMEDIATELY!!! - wow, it does bring out the diva after all. Hehehe

UPDATE: Now that I do have a bottle, I find that I want to wear it all the time. My new winter scent!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

this is a lovely, but forgettable fragrance which I find hard to recall by memory. I can see that it would make a good scent perhaps for an intimate dinner or work as it is discrete and not 'ta da!' in any way. Luca Turin lists it as a mimosa fragrance, which would seem to explain its quiet sweetness.

lyndsey12
lyndsey12

I love this perfume and normally wear it of an autumn/winter evening. It is warm and luxurious smelling. Staying power great, I can't stop smelling my wrist when I am wearing it! Gorgeous bottle also.

mcelferr
mcelferr

Cinema is one of my fav It's very warm and soft. Delicate. Romantic, feminine. Good to wear to work, because it doesn't annoy people around. People feel nice and easy beside you. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the ad. I don't see the glamour of hollywood in it. It's very intimate, almost naive.

Manya
Manya

I completely agree with viveka 's description below!

Rarely has a name been so misleading...

Cinema suggests something spectacular - and it's a dissapointment from this point of view. Too safe to be noticed.

Still, it is a well thought out scent, beautiful and round oriental notes, and a soft vanilla drydown.

Rouu
Rouu

Today was my 1st real meeting with that treasure, i got it yesterday , and today i wear it ..!!
can i say WOW i didnt expected that will be great like that, amazing ,warm,feminine, and romantic

in some way it reminds me with Ibiza Femme Cathy Guetta that i ADORE, same are oriental floral fragrances!

today i tasted Cinema and i fall in luve with it , the opening note is strong and sweet with floral notes, then the heart and base note are just MARVELOUS how sweet,warm,attractive, and sexy smell ,so powdery,elegant,classy full of amber, white musk and vanilla!! it made my day , indeed .

today i gained alot of complements by Cinema !! i think i'll change my top ten fragrances soon!!

taylor
taylor

when i wear this i cannot stop smelling myself. ^^ it smells so elegant, and sweet of clementine and vanilla. i love it!

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

Impossible not to fall for this sweet scent, vanilla nice and elegant.
Not everyone knows and this makes it a most charming perfume still rare.
Yes, it looks like the wonderful and perfect Alchimie de Rochas.
YSL hit with this amazing fragrance! Love it!

selinum28
selinum28

This is a perfect everyday perfume: not only versatile and discreet, but also sophisticated, nothing done without interest, and beautiful. The whole blend seems very herbal... I see Amaryllis among the notes, and I don't now it, but Cinema reminds me basil and remotely oregano.

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

The scent was elegant, sparkling and beautifully poised.

I felt like chic Holly Wood star with a glass of fine champagne walking down the red carpet with a gold Oscar award in my right hand ;)

Oooo la la!

The_Entity
The_Entity

like most ysl scents, this is classy and elegant.

you cant go wrong with this, inoffensive, suitable for most occasions

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

This one is kind to the senses , nice & inoffensive thats it , no more , no less ,,,,
starts with the typical sour YSL citrus explosion that lasts for a mere minute then the floral heart starts to appear & really does last for hours shaded by the strong Almond blossom's note that even clings to the start of the base reminding me severly of Precious by Oriflame & to a lesser extent of Organza by Givenchy ,,,
then the base comes in again tainted by persistent floral naunces & dominated by amber & vanilla which to me is a rather weak base but cosy & agreeable.
Overall, with passable sillage & impressive longevity .
For me Cinema is very common-place utterly boring with maximally insipid trajectory , when i tested it i longed for the impressively characteristic Opium with its commanding lovable persona .

guest_Armani
guest_Armani

doesnt smell anything like JP Classique. Maybe on ur skin. Its warm, captivating and smells so yum!

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

Gosh! It is a very sophisticated fragrance with notes changing so many times, very unusual, a bit sweet but does not cause any headache at all. Very elegant, smart, perfect for evening but not being too ''intrusive'' - I would wear it to work as well.
Unlike some others Ladies, I found NO RESEMBLANCE to Alchimie Rochas at all. In my opinion - the perfume is completely different.
The only similarity might be that it has the staying power of Alchimie :-)
Highly recommended - I bought 50ml EDP 'in dark' just by reading reviews and the purchase was well worth it!!!!

Fragrance
Fragrance

Tested it yesterday...Well... I kinda Liked it... But the sweetness..It's toooo much for me... It's an elegant fragrance with Heavy sweetness.
But this is not for me...

While I agree that Cinema is a lovely, elegant and inoffensive scent, I have experienced what many other reviewers here have mentioned; it reminds me of something I've smelt before.

I don't mean that in a bad way, and I certainly wouldn't be put off this fragrance because of it. After racking my brain for a few hours I haven't pin-pointed exactly what it smells like however I think it's a little similar to Organza by Givenchy, Poeme by Lancome and Donna Karan's Gold.

In regards to the scent, I find it to be very classy and cosy. It has all the glitz-and-glamour to be worn to special occasions and the comforting vanilla in the drydown that makes for a wonderful casual, 'hanging around the house' type scent.

Cinema fits the oriental category perfectly, with rich ambery and musky notes surrounded by sweet, honey-like florals and thick vanilla. The woman that wears this fragrance, in my mind, is mature and confident.

It also has a soft, powdery-like quality which I really admire. Cinema certainly wasn't as strong as I expected it to be. For some strange reason I expected a loud and brash floral explosion.

While the sillage is quite average, the lasting power is not. Cinema lasts considerably well, at least 9 hours so far. A somewhat creamy and rich oriental, that I do whole-heartedly recommend.

samsara1977
samsara1977

A better version of Cinema: Alchimie by Rochas.
I also like Cinema, but sometimes it can be a little bit too sweet and strong.It longevity is amazin though and I have to say it has a very distinguished smell, you always now someone's wearing Cinema (or it should be Alchimie,which is a little more floral).

Anahi
Anahi

I really like this one; It's classy but it's quite playful which makes it great for partying or going to a dinner. I'm actually suprised it's not as strong as I thought. It's sweet, fruity, a little floral and quite striking, but no way over-powering which is good in my book!

linden tree
linden tree

Beautiful bottle,beautiful perfume.This is not a delicate perfume.Is strong from the first note,developing into a warmer jasmine-amber vanilla.It is the epitome of oriental floral.I can't imagine this worn by an elegant and perfect diva.It's a perfume for an action movie star:strong but feminine,extraordinary phsysical form.And the bottle:It is from Matrix?

rdoonanuk
rdoonanuk

I agree with the reviewers that can smell tobacco. I also get the almond and vanilla - very warm and comforting. Probably not one I would buy a large bottle of but I like it.

Update: The more I wear this, the more I like it. Guess I might be buying a large bottle after all!!

guest_alexanna7
guest_alexanna7

Another on my top oriental vanilla.feminine and class.jasmine vanilla almond blossom makes it suave and sexy...for woman who like big sensuality in a bottle...

zvoncica
zvoncica

Cinema is a brilliant masterpiece. Rich and luxuriant with warm notes, elegant in its sweetness. I tried it with prepared thoughts on over strength and oldie look. What a lesson I got: be prepared for beauty when you’re not expecting! It is a Hollywood style perfume, not 2000 scent, more like 1950`s with glamorous Rita Hayworth as leading role.

I list it under same geniality and everlasting group with Dolce Vita and Champs Elysses. Cinema is epitome of style, sensuality and confidence. A must have!

LenaBel
LenaBel

I detect a slight similarity with YSL Elle, although they have only two mutual notes - peony and jasmine. Nevertheless, I hate Elle as it is sharp and patchouli based (cant stand patchoulli!) while Cinema is quite lovely and its vanilla (although not that prominent) and musk at the base create a much silkier and sensual touch to it. It is a bit powdery but I like it as in this perfume it smells very elegant and sophisticated. It smells classic without smelling like an old lady perfume - which is great.

nezzabel
nezzabel

Sensual, elegant, classy... I simply adore Cinema!

This is a great gourmand fragrance. Sweet but not cloying, powdery and sultry Cinema is a rich, dreamy scent. It's all about vanilla-amber combination resting on the floral notes. I could swear there is also a tobbaco note.

This perfume is ageless (I can see a young woman like myself wearing it as my mum or even my granny adoring it)... this is not bad, this is just what makes a perfume classical!

Ravishing beautiful, stunning and dazzling, Cinema makes me feel elegant, chic, confident, confortable and I have to say... Sexy!

I love Cinema, love it!
Merci Jacques Cavallier, merci à la maison Yves Saint Laurent!

mymlan
mymlan

I thought this was an "old school" fragrance and expected something bold and aldehydic when a french looking lady spritzed my arm in the department store.

But no, Cinema edp has a mild citrusy start from the sweet clementine, but then the heart evolves into a classy and sensual oriental floral from a peony, jasmin, almond, vanilla and musk mix. It somehow reminds me of a good quality tea with vanilla and honey, but not overpowering sharp or sweet, rather comforting with sensual undertones.

Cinema edp mild enough for everyday use, but I would really like to wear it on a romantic tete-a-tete. It's amourous, sensual, alluring with a little mote of melancholy. Poetic!

viveka
viveka

Few years ago I liked Cinema, now... it's much too calm and classy. If it's cinema - is that very typical, classic movie with cold goddes as a heroin and easy to guess end. Now I'm searching more freak, more thrill and more mysterious in movies, haha.
YSL offers very solid product, Cinema is for most people pretty and make comparission with good in proportions perfumes from the past (70's). Firstly citrusy and tea - a little bit freezing start but later it becomes warmer and more spicy. But within all etages you can smell that citrusy-bergamot tea note, it's leitmotiv of that Movie ;) All the time - nice, classic, elegant and without the tinest "la loco".
Not for me anymore ;)

PS: Nothing in common with Classique Gaultier! Classique is crazy and as specifique as JPG himself, Cinema - as I wrote - is classic point of view of oldy Yves S.! Two different fairies :)

golden
golden

I have recently bought this perfume.
To me it was not what i expected. The opening is quite citrus, oranges, clementines . Then shortly followed by warm vanilla and almost like chocolate too? It makes me feel safe and cosy, as it is cold right now. I think it is perfect for winter/fall also day/night wear too. I am very happy with this perfume and consider it now in my top 5 favorites.

Elegant. Very similar to Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique

kutyafina
kutyafina

I like this one.Classic & simply.

clairdelune
clairdelune

I sprayed this on and immediately had a strong sense of deja vu. I had been to this 'show' before, only it was Jean-Paul Gaultier's Classique that I wore many years ago. I logged onto Fragrantica to look at the notes and saw that the same nose, Jacques Cavallier, produced both.
Interestingly, they don't have a lot of notes in common, and yet the two fragrances are eerily similar to me. If you're familiar with JPG Classique, save your money. You've already seen Cinema.

c3c
c3c

Cinema is elegant, classy, sexy, and well worth owning. I always come back to it and I'm always in love with it. For me it brings to mind a woman dressed for the opera, her hair wrapped in a soft bun, wearing the perfect long "proper" but sexy black dress and a matching shoulder wrap to protect her from the slight evening chill of an early summer night. This woman exudes what it is to be a lady with style.

Cinema has a mellow sweetness and warmth to it. The almond blossom and vanilla stand out most for me. The lasting power is great. I would say it's a more "mature" fragrance, but as with any perfume really anyone who appreciates it can pull it off.
Cinema is a timeless beauty and there is truly nothing else like it.

cor metz
cor metz

Parfum, EDT or EDP Cinema I do not mind. It is a great smell, long lasting, very chic, elegant and glamorous. Not suitable for young ladies. However concerning Cinéma I can`t think about anything negative.
When possible I would buy the bathproducts too.
Oh ya, there should be one thing terrible wrong, an empty bottle.

melo_dramatiko
melo_dramatiko

waaaaaaw,i love this one,YSL thanx for the tip.it's perfect.very sensual,elegant and sexy too.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Mmm... this must be one of the sexiest fragrances out there. IT IS actually S-E-X in a bottle (and what a BEAUTIFUL Bottle) ;) !!! & still it has this sweet tiny hint of innocence to top it all off with, ABSOLUTE HEAVEN!!! Try it out and you will see what I mean !! It manages to be SO VEEERY sexy without beeing the least bit overwhelming. This is just **PERFECT**!

chanteuse
chanteuse

I agree that this is indeed a lovely fragrance for a woman.A little too sweet for everyday use but the amount of vanilla is just perfect, not childlike but sophisticated. However, it is a little sad and I can't tell why exactly as it is definitely not shy. The only scent I love more than this is 'Dolce Vita', maybe for its happiness...

kewart
kewart

This is one gorgeous, sexy scent. It will get you noticed in a good way and make you feel like a million dollars! The almond/jasmine combination is stunning.I wear this at night when I am wearing a nice dress and going somewhere special.

rednose
rednose

This is magical & charming. As much as I loved it, I didn't buy it. Only because everyone around me had overwhelmed me with it:P. It's not that I was after something unique still, I didn't want to swim in the sea of cinema all day, every day for an entire month or year.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I purchased a bottle of the parfum. Gorgeous heavy metallic bottle. It smells rich of jasmine with woody undertones. I think of it as the glamorous counterpart to their other fragrance, Elle. Elle smells more woodsy, but a tad irritating because the woody notes can smell camphoric at times. Cinema is bright and smells more balanced than Elle. It dries down to a rich subtle ambery base with a quiet and sensual musk.

Not overly complex, and I feel that it won't be offputting to many.

I associate the glamor of the cinema to a film opening, women wearing gold lame´ gowns, hair in an updo, and smelling of Joy perfume. Cinema doesn't smell of Joy perfume, but has its own kind of glamor and sparkle, like when worn with YSL's own tuxedo suits for women and a fedora tilted to the side.

katipellegrini
katipellegrini

Cinema EDP is fresh, seductive,and sophisticated. Initially, I smell floral citris. Very quickly I am teased with elegant flowers from the French countryside, and I want to keep smelling it. The marvellous thing about Cinema is that it melts on your body into a soft warm scent. I am enveloped in the luxury and femininity of Cinema.

MoietToi
MoietToi

Actually I recived this perfume by accident. Beacuse I was in a perfume shop with Mum and they where giving away test bottles for free so that's how I got it. Anyways Cinema is my new night time perfume it's very floral,light and feminime at the start. Then it remains floral but it sucessivley becomes heavier and more sophisticated. Very feminime,graceful and sophisticated. The type of woman that I picture wearing this perfume would be a full-figured young woman. Wearing an empire line LBD,black opera gloves,hight heels and a classic pearl necklace. Dazzling,hot and elegant just like the perfume.

Dirty.secretss
Dirty.secretss

chickeetas I love this this frag..

but whenever im closs to spraying a puff I get this flash back of myself being a mama seeta who's trying so hard to get that vital attention ..

ladies dont get me wrong i love this i do think quite elegant i mean i have it cuz i like it but i just cant wear it i feel like a mama seeta with tiger print heels wearing really tight pushup braa..!!??
don’t ask why I LOVE IT this is something wrong with the smell .. its pretty elegant in a mama seeta way ..
sorry

angels
angels

I love it so much!

desmondorama
desmondorama

I bought a bottle of EdP on sale to test it and was surprised that this fragrance has had such a quiet reception! It is truly a beautiful fragrance and as it was designed with 'cinema' in mind and has lots of vanilla in it, it can be worn by men as well.

On male skin, it loses it's feminine touch and smells surprisingly 'unfloral' and the vanilla, amber, musk and clementine notes tend to dominate this close-to-the-skin perfume.

I'm delighted to have it in my collection and pleased to be able to let all you adventurous parfumistos out there know that you can certainly wear this elegant fragrance with confidence.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Very nice, elegant, reminds me of JPG Classique a lot- only this is like a lighter version- while Classique has huge sillage this smells more tender, but strong, rich.
I avoided it because once me and my friend were reading magazine and I saw the ad for this frag, I said- this ad is really beautiful- she replied - I sniffed it - it stinks...
Well.. now I know it doesn't.
There is a pleasant thick vanilla note after few hours, but flowers are still there- sweet and rich. Yum. It doesn't remind me cinema or movies, but old vintage dresses.

renneyg007

This is a lovely scent but there's something very off-putting about it. Quite possibly for me it is the almond sweetness which is almost sickly. I waited and waited for the drydown, hoping the sweetness would relax but it didn't happen. There is also something watery and thin about the fragrance. On the plus side it has great staying power. I can completely understand its appeal and agree its very elegant and feminine just not pour moi.

dully28
dully28

That´s one of my favorites its an elegant perfume . I love the sweetness of the perfume, it´s very rich and classy.

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

i like it , it's a sweet perfume,lovely ....i think it is perfect for cool days ....i love this perfume - i can say i love it much more every year when cold days are approching
a seductive - romantic - mysterious perfume

Ayse
Ayse

classy...makes you wanna sit up straight...formal perfume... love it

Yana

By the way, edp is much better than edt in my opinion. I tried edt in a shop and couldn't wait until I wash it out of my skin. It's more floral and tiresome.

susieqrj
susieqrj

That´s one of my favorites. I love the almond smell, the sweetness of the perfume, it´s very rich and classy.
I´m using it today, the weather is hot as hell, but I´m very confortable with it. I also have the summer version, but is very light compared to the amazing edp.

Yana

It's a good and rich vanila-amber aroma. A bit sad, but very comfortable and longlasting;)Use it in winter time.

mirror
mirror

It smells classy, elegant and expensive. No sweetness or girlyness, just warmth. The yellow golden tone fits perfectly.
Indeed it is not for bubbly girls nor it would match with casual or sporty clothes.
It is my favorite scent for formal occasions. I don't think there is any scent more perfect than this.
I sometimes wear during the day with a business outfit or a ralph lauren polo but you need to know that this scent gets a lot of attention. Not only because it is unique and one of a kind also because it is very dominant (even if only little is used).
Of course it gets you compliments but this perfume fills out a whole room so mainly I would say it gets you noticed. Its a good thing, yes but not always wanted. So you will have to be aware of it.

Mals86
Mals86

Elegantly floral; the spice notes jazz up the florals nicely. The vanillic base is very pleasant, and my favorite part of the fragrance.

Having said that, I still wonder who named this ladylike scent "cinema"? It's nice -- very nice. But avant-garde, daring, and glamorous? No.

It doesn't feel like me.

guiwings
guiwings

This fragance puts together to thing I liker the most: perfumes and cinema!

For strong and emancipated women. Not that I am one, but I want it.

Although my friend said that the perfume was for older women.

FUELedbyCHAOS
FUELedbyCHAOS

I was working with YSL when this was launched. We couldn't give it away. Be sure you try it on before you buy it somehow as it really changes on the skin and usually for the worse. I don't think I ever saw as many returns on a fragrance as this. It bombed and was pulled very soon after release for "specialty doors".

leababe10
leababe10

i got to sniff this purfume and put it on as well omg it is amazing i love it so much. i cant wait till i can offord this purfume.
this is one of my fav scents i have ever tried. love love love it ............

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

I was shocked when I got a whiff of this one! Not what I expected, it is sweet and spicy. It smelled familar and then it came to me, Tender Poison!! This one is VERY similar to the green Poison.

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

I've applied this only on paper thus far. My initial impression was the scent of fine tobacco with a touch of sweetness. I have a fondness for cigars, so it's ok. I've left that paper sitting by me for the past few hours and the aroma drifts by from time to time.(good staying power.) I wanted to be sure my sniffer wasn't off, so I had my husband smell it and he had the same impression. It's a rich scent for special occasions.

Almond, vanilla and soft florals in a ladylike, quiet fragrance. Very nice and could be dressed up.

LauraM
LauraM

I adore YSL everything in general, and this perfume is no exception. So classy and luxurious. Can't wait to buy it on pay day this week :-)

Migotka
Migotka

Lights, camera and action!
This fragrance makes you feel like a star walking down the red carpet to claim your well deserved Oscar prize. For me it has this nice retro touch that I associate with first big stars of the silver screen. Featuring jasmine, clementine and peony, it also includes brilliant roles of musk and vanilla, my two favourite perfume stars.
The scent is sweet, but not heavy. Very elegant and classy, but not too serious. Romantic, but not frivolous. Sentimental, but not melancholic. It is a journey in the past, but the fragrance is still modern and suitable for all.

I never thought I would like it, I have tried once ages ago and it did not make a huge impression on me back then. However, today I sprayed it on my wrist, and later on when I was shopping I could smell it on me for a very long time afterwards- an amazing staying power!

dioradddict
dioradddict

it seemed a bit syrup or like some medicine to me...first, i was expecting so much more of cinema...but ok, i liked and put the paper inside my shirt to smell later...than, later, reminded me of classique - jpg and then insolense - guerlain... (i´m refering to style, to olfative evokig to me) i liked, think is one to have in the collection maybe...

Tonya

Cinema smells of stong (pipe)tobacco to me. Any reasons anyone can think of?

shelpen
shelpen

For me Cinema is a boring, ordinary and cloying fragrance: somewhat sweet, somewhat floral and very forgettable. A beautiful bottle though.

lolita82
lolita82

Once you smell this fragrance you will keep on noticing it! For SMART stylish women who are in control of their lives!!!
Personally 4 me its 2 strong so i wear the festive d'ete during summer and autumn!

fruttella
fruttella

I love it, I love it ! Just bought it from Paris and feeling as if walking on Champs Elysees with scarf round my neck and sunglasses staring at the Arc de Triomphe. It reminds of typical Parisian chic and elegancy, makes you enjoy life and smile at the sun. Very elegant and modern, strong and definitely Parisian-style.

PR
PR

The bottle and name of YSL 'Cinema' are one of the most beautiful on the market I think, they would make into my top 5 or top 3 for most beautiful appearance and image.

The top notes, first 10 minutes perhaps,are confusing to me, because for some reason, each time I percieve them differently. But general impression is good complexity, elegance, not too modern, but somehow manages to suit almost every age.
I am not raving mad about this scent, because somehow it doesn't hook me anyway. And perhaps drydown and what I smell later explains that. When I smell Cinema after an hour it is So Painfully Familiar! don't know from where, or who used to wear it in my environment, but I know it for ages! And it starts smelling too floral for me..but such a familiarity of scent, even without trying it before, True Classic..

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

It's simply a fragrance that made to be noticed.. So sophisticated, sexy & alluring.
Before I smell it, I didn't think I'd like it, cos I don't like "oriental" perfumes. However, this one is really great, not overwhelming at all & I guess a woman of any age can wear it to feel special :)
I've choosen this fragrance to wear on a presentation tomorrow , just for the way it makes me feel <3

amanda
amanda

i love this on the testing paper where it smells a bitmusky for me, but unfortunately on my skin its really oriental floral in a bad way, its a pity cause i liked it a lot first.

flugeltje013

Hmm, on second tought, after wearing it a little more: the vanilla amount is enough, no need for more... In the beginning I smelled more flowers but now it's balanced..

BlackAmberMoon
BlackAmberMoon

Cinema is very elegant, very French in feel with a modern twist. Jacques Cavallier is one of my favorite perfumers, and he did a splendid job here. Sambac jasmine and almond blend beautifully with the woody-sweet drydown. If you enjoy fragrances like Boucheron's Trouble or Dior Addict, or gourmands in general, then give Cinema a try.

andruska
andruska

Elegant in a classic style. For women, not for girls.

dolita
dolita

expensive women only use it for that i love it but i think it's the most expensive perfume i ever seen but still my favorite one

mudpach
mudpach

Elegant, chic woman that wears Cinema.

liat
liat

A good one. Not for very young women who'd prefer something lighter.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Cinema smell good, very elegant. Softly sweet, rich, a little powder. The vanilla in Cinema is similar in Black code. Smell Cinema, and I wanna make a solf touch on her. Btw, glamorous bottle, too :P

Sensuos
Sensuos

Verry nice!
I had this perfume and I will get it again...
It is a an elegant, feminine and sexy perfume!

promoscanner
promoscanner

Elegant is the perfect way to describe this one.

Too heavy and cloying for daily use, but great for an evening out.

flugeltje013

I love it, but for me it should be a little more vanilla than flowers.

Amirante
Amirante

what an elegant perfume very sensual wore it for a formal evening and guys and girls couldnt get enough

Moszatka
Moszatka

It is a great fragrance! I like it! Very special and delicious, not too sweet and so spicy.

guest_mseidoom
guest_mseidoom

The edt version of Cinema, has anyone tried it yet? On Osmoz.com the notes for the edt and edp(original) are different. I'm hoping the edt Cinema doesn't have the almond notes that the original has. Thanks.

Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent 3.99 out of 5 based on 2857 ratings and 431 user reviews

Boots.com
Yves Saint Laurent Cinema Eau de Parfum Spray for Women, 3 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Cinema Eau de Parfum Spray for Women, 3 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Cinema Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.6oz
Yves Saint Laurent Cinema Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.6oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Cinema fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Cinema, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.